Speaker 1: Hello everybody, and welcome to Game Spot After Dark, episode ninety nine. We're all we're so close. Just just one more, one more and we hit that. We hit the hunt it, we hit the hunted. When we're syndicated, we don't have to worry about it anymore. We get the three runs. We can phone it in after that.
Speaker 2: We do anything special for one hundred Do we know that yet? Are we just going to phone it in like.
Speaker 1: A thing plans? I don't know how impressive it'll be. That's a little rude, but but I'm gonna chat with the others and see if there's anything else we can do. But I got at least something, a little.
Speaker 3: A little something something, Okay, Okay.
Speaker 1: So I am John Luke. You're not usual host, and that is because once again Tam and Lucy, they have been very busy this week with our charity streams. In fact, they are like prepping to do one right now as of the time of this recording. If you haven't checked those out, you should. We're raising money for able gamers all week. I think the last charity stream with Giant Bombs should be happening as the time of this podcast going up. But we'll talk more about that later, but for now, I am joined by a couple special guests. I've got mister E three himself, Michael.
Speaker 3: I am, Yes, I came back last week, but yeah I am. I am mister three. I was anointed the throne, so y'all will address me as such, m h.
Speaker 1: And of course I am joined by Jorge it in where is Silk Song?
Speaker 2: May starting this morning off with pain Pain every day.
Speaker 1: And for the first time on the GameSpot after dark proper Uh Phil lor master of Destiny, uh Hornshaw I forgot your last name for a second going through it today, It's a lot, really, it's been a long week. Who would know that doing a bunch of charity streams right after E three would be very tiring.
Speaker 2: John Look's been a champion. You all everyone listening to this should like go give him all the love in the world because he's made sure that Play for All didn't implode on itself following E three, and he also made sure that E three didn't implode.
Speaker 3: He made sure he made sure we played for all.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that, guys, thank you, But we're here to talk about what we've all been playing. And well, actually, first Phil because I forget. Because so you've probably heard Phil if you've done any of our spoiler casts. He was on our final Fantasy seven to one. He was on our Medium one that we did at the beginning of the year with me and Jordan. But Phil, this is your first time on the podcast proper, which means we have to do the Chris from Dayton, Ohio segment Chris basically summing up Phil. A guy named Chris messaged us on like our second or third episode and said, Hey, you guys are great about know who the hell y'all are, so tell me who you are. So now, every time we have a new guest on, they have to tell Chris who they are and what they're about. So, Phil, why don't you tell Chris and the rest of the audience about yourself?
Speaker 4: Makes sense? Hey, Chris, my name is Phil.
Speaker 1: I a.
Speaker 4: I was a freelance games journalist for like ten years before I joint game Spot.
Speaker 3: So I've been around.
Speaker 4: I'm in Los Angeles. I like story games and indie stuff and horror things, and uh, I played a lot of video games.
Speaker 3: I don't know man play a lot of video games. I think Phil plays the most video games. I think Phil's mister video games.
Speaker 2: Oh man, I play a lot.
Speaker 3: Of video games too.
Speaker 4: It's upsetting. I don't want to be mister video games.
Speaker 3: Do you play do you play Destiny? Do you play Destiny like Phil does? That's true, no one does. So like who are we to who are we to call ourselves gamers?
Speaker 4: Destiney paid my bills for a long time. I've been covering that game since the first day, and for a long time nobody wanted to do it. So whenever I was just like bouncing around between outlets being freelanced, I was always I always end up being the Destiny guy, and I was like, damn fuck Destiny.
Speaker 3: It's good now.
Speaker 4: So it's like it finally paid off. I'm really into it now. But for a while, there's like.
Speaker 2: It's so weird. Game Spot doesn't have any beat reporters, but we do, like unofficially have beat reporters. Like whenever like Kevin logs like here comes like a Pokemon Go article. Whenever I see Phil slide into the new Slack chat, I'm like, here comes something about Destiny too. That people cover certain stuff.
Speaker 3: Here's Michael at three am talking about Final Fantasy Unjapan.
Speaker 5: Time.
Speaker 1: It makes sense, man, That's how you get You gotta be up for those uh those hot live streams they have at like what two in the morning.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, hell yeah, disgusting.
Speaker 1: All right, guys, well we're gonna get into what we've been playing. Why don't Why don't we start with the big one that a couple of us have been playing. Jordan, I see you said you didn't have to talk about it, but honestly, I'd rather you, you and Michael talk about it more than me because I think you guys can express what makes this game just so darn amazing, and that is Chickery.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I want to I want to hear what Jordan has to say about you.
Speaker 1: Because Jordan's been saying it's his game of the year.
Speaker 3: Hell yeah, so good.
Speaker 2: I would say, like shout out to Natalie Flores, Like Michael's already talked up a bunch, so I don't need to add much other than the fact that Chickery was already on my radar. They put out a very good review on fan bite and I read it and I'm like, uh shit, it's E three. I can't play this now, but I'll play it at some point. E three passes I jump into this game and like a god damn it, they were right. They were one hundred percent right.
Speaker 1: This game.
Speaker 2: It's fantastic. So yeah, for folks who don't know, Chicker is a game that launched like right in the throes of pre E three, so it didn't get too much coverage unfortunately. But it's this game where you're in this world where there are Wielders, people who ensure that the world stays and color and everything is beautiful all the time, and you play as a janitor to the current wielder who keeps their home clean. And then all of a sudden, all the color just disappears one day and you find the brush abandoned, and you kind of take it upon yourself to be the next wielder and color everything in. And so it sounds very childish, very cute, see, and it is in that way in some respects. But man, that game like goes to some dark and interesting places dealing with the facts of depression. I think a little bipolar disorder in there, the struggles of being an artist and trying to figure out if you're doing things for yourself or if you're doing things for the people around you who expect great things from you, what it's like to be a mentor or a peer in that world. It's it's really really good and the story is surprisingly way better than I thought it was going to be when first looking at the game, and I'm like, oh, it's just kind of a cutesy game where I get to color everything in, which doesn't sound bad. I'm totally down for playing a game where I'm just get to relax and decide what shade of green I want the grass to be. But the fact that you add this incredible story on top of it, and I won't spoil it, I have now beaten Chickory and so now it's like officially like barring like a surprise release of Silk Song or something like that. I think Chickery is going to be my game of the year. Like it's it's a damn good game. The music too, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Like hell, yeah, wants to talk about that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, I don't want to go too and much into this. You know a lot of us have played it and we should all get a chance to say it.
Speaker 3: So I like I will just say.
Speaker 2: Like Lena Rain, like the composer for this, she had to once again create a song during a mountain climbing sequence, and I was worried for her, and I'm like, she's done, Celeste, She's done mountain climbing music before knocks it out of the park like easily, like a flying Colors. So it's good. It's good music, really good. Boss Battle music too. Oh my god, Michael, please like take this from me so I don't keep guessing about this for like forty five minutes.
Speaker 3: Oh the Boss Battle music is wild though, because you play the game, yeah, you kind of get introduced to the world where it's it is cute to like it's like so I said this too, is that it's like a coloring book. Sometimes I just treat the game like a coloring book. It's like, oh, here's a new scene, you know what. I just want to relax some. I'm just gonna like, okay, I want the trees to be actually, like Jordan was saying, I want to be this shade of green like the ground. Oh, this little steppy steps here, don't make that like like like a gray like a granite. I'm like, oh my gosh, she's so cute, and what what outfit color is this person? Because you can color in every person's outfit to like, Oh, We'm gonna put a little red shirt on them. Oh my god. It's so much fun. It's so much fun. But so the thing about the Boss Battle music is that throughout the game, it's it's very a very very uh how do I say, It's very happy vibe. A lot of the music is very cute, it's very uplifting. I didn't realize that there was gonna be like combat sequences, so I was like surprised the first Like in the first fight, I was like, oh ship and I.
Speaker 1: Was jamming out, man, they're trying to kill me damage.
Speaker 3: I was talking a blessing about this yesterday, he's like laying up like it felt. It felt like she was. She went back to the her Celeste bag and then said, you know, fun, I'm gonna go ham again and make a make a dope ass like electronic jam out here. But this the thing about Chickory's music is that it's uh, it's it's so soothing and it's really warm in a really weird way where out like just coloring the scene and there's like this very comforting song to it almost brought it to you to my eye. It's like chick or you felt like it feels like a warm hug that tells you know, it's it's it's okay to to feel things. It's like the the opposite of near, but it evokes like a similar feeling for some reason. Like, yeah, it's it's really cool. And so I didn't I wasn't sure what the format of the game was, but it's like an old school Zelda where it's like the tile tile based world north in like the four Cardinal directions, and it's heavily puzzle based. I think the puzzle coloring in as as a puzzle is pretty it's pretty fascinating, Like, Okay, when you when you color the cave this way, the environment reacts in this way, and this is how you get to that area. It's not like too complicated, but it's just enough to kind of, you know, get the wheels turning in your head. And yeah, they do some really fascinating mechanics with the different types of paint brushes that are types of ways you can color the world. So it's it's it's really cool. It's really creative. Uh, and it's just so cute. Oh my gosh, the dog you play. I was just so cute. Everyone was so cute in this game.
Speaker 1: What's your guys, what's what's your dog's name?
Speaker 3: Tosino Bacon, Yeah.
Speaker 1: State they I love. I am on board with any game where they're like it's all animals and they're all named after food. Playing like another game, Uh that was like part of the like Xbox Summer Games Fest, and they did the exact same thing, like, uh, the main character's name is like Senyle Seed or something. And I was like, yeah, like let's go like all these cute foxes and dogs named after food.
Speaker 3: Oh, because the game asks you, like what's your favorite food? I'm like, uh, ship, all right.
Speaker 2: That actually fucked me because it's like what's your favorite food? And like it begins with capital letter and then it's lowercase lowercase lowercase. In my like grammar base brain, it's like, well, if someone asked me what my favorite food was, I wouldn't do capital B bacon, Like Bacon's not a proper noun, And so I purposely went into the settings and changed it to lowercase B. And then like it got like five minutes into the game before I was like, oh shit, they're asking me what my name is supposed to be so I'm not the only person in this world who doesn't have like a proper name name, and so I had to I just exited out and started.
Speaker 3: A new game.
Speaker 2: I refuse to go through this because, like I just knew. I'm like, it's probably fine, but I'm like, no, three hours go to this, I'm going to be really annoyed that I deed to do this.
Speaker 3: I think I think I had a similar thing in a PERSONA four. I think it was because I think it asked you your name and I put in reverse because if your first and last name, and then in Japan like obviously like it's flipped. So then I did the opposite. I'm like, shit, I'm ten hours into this thing. I thought I was going to get over it, but you know what, I'm not because everyone's calling me by my last name and it's weird. So I have it's like, fucking I'll do it again.
Speaker 2: As any of y'all played a Chickory co op, because I played through the entire thing single player.
Speaker 1: That's what I was going to say. That was that was gonna be my contribution. I pretty agree with everything you guys have been saying, but I've been playing it with co op with my partner and it is fantastic. It's just like the game. It doesn't change the game dramatically, Like essentially the co op partner just gets another paintbrush and like I still control the dog steak and uh, but like they have the exact same like complete freedom in terms of like color and what they can do. So you just kind of it's like to go back to the coloring book thing. It's like when you're coloring book. You're doing a coloring book with a friend where it's like all right, like I'm gonna do the house and you're gonna do the trees and we're gonna like tea tag team this together. So uh, it's just it's just really wholesome. It's just like it's like the there's like no stakes to it at all, like except for like you know, there's like some obviously there's some like combat stuff out there, but when you're just like wandering around and you're just like painting stuff in, like you just I think the problem we have with the pacing is that we're like we have to color in everything. Uh, so we're a little like okay, like new new new area, let's go like all right, I'm gonna I'm gonna get the grass. You do this? Uh man, God send finding out that you actually could just hold the button to like do like a rapid fill for the grass because we were like at the beginning, we were just slowly, like manually like scrubbing in like every little thing, and we were trying to like perfectly do it through the lines, and like sometimes when you do the house like it, it'll just go barely off the edge and it's like, ah no, So if you're like very like if you're that kind of person with your coloring book, this game might drive you insane. Uh, don't play it that way. Kind of had to learn that, but uh yeah, I mean just the co op, it's, like I said, it doesn't bring anything necessarily, Like it doesn't dramatically changed the game, but it just it is I think, like a perfect example of like a couch co op style. Like we both feel like we are heavily contributing, and it doesn't feel bad that like she doesn't get to like also control her own character, because like controlling the character is like kind of the least interesting part, Like the paintbrush is sort of like the main thing you're doing all the time. So the fact that like she's also able to contribute, Like, yeah, it just it feels good. We're painting this world together and it's really wholesome.
Speaker 3: I love to see it. I think the last thing I'll say about is that it's surprising how much a like how much you color in the world, affects your perception of the world, and that like I was when I started painting, like entire scenes, like this looks like a different world than when it's black and white, or if if someone else colors it a different color, it gives off a very different environmental feel. So yeah, I just I just thought that was a really interesting thing where I color in this whole town and like, oh, that's that's my vision of this town. That's how I see the town. It's probably different from somebody else how they painted in the town, or even if they do paint in the town. So it's a story about how color affects your world. You know what you know, I'm gonna say with my chest at the beginning of the game, it's about white supremacy. White's taking over the world, and you got to bring color back, you know what I'm saying. I'm like, yeah, let's fucking do this and cut that out of the podcast.
Speaker 2: Is so it looks like that's extra work.
Speaker 1: For that. All right, Well, moving on, let's go over to Phil. Phil, you've been playing a little bit of See a Thieves New a Pirate's Life. Is that what it's called? The Yes, the Jack Sparrow Update. I didn't realize that was like immediately coming out. I assumed when an outset that was like later this year, But dang, that thing is out. How is it?
Speaker 3: It's pretty good.
Speaker 4: So I've really enjoyed See a Thieves over the years. But the thing about Sea Thieves is you need other people and you need to dedicate like three whole hours to play the game because everything takes forever, and there's a real good chance you're going to run into some other people, you know, halfway through whatever it is you're doing, and they're gonna be completely annoying, and then you're fighting them for an hour and you're lucky if you sink them. If you don't, then it's a chase for a long time. Anyway. It's just like all these things are what make the game cool, but at the same time, it takes a long time to do anything, and it's not really a game you can play alone. I mean you can, but then you're just at a huge disadvantage all the time. Right, So, what's about the new Jack Sparrow themed stuff is that it's mostly story and they added a while back these story sections called tall Tales that you can just like they're just like long missions that usually are full of riddles and you know, you're like tracking somebody through the Sea of Thieves and trying to find out what happened to them whatever. Those are really fun, but again, like you kind of need other people to do them with because they have checkpoints, but you're probably gonna get dumpstered along the way anyway. So so okay, So the thing about the Jack Sparrow content is that most of it is instanced or at least takes place kind of away from everything else, so the chances of running into somebody else and getting harangued by them is really much lower than the normal game. So I was able to play through all of it alone, and that's kind of nice. Like, see if Thieves doesn't have really yeah, it doesn't really have any solo content and you can just kind of like pop it at least two of the five Tall Tales that are part of this update, which is free, are instanced, so there's nobody around, like it's whoever you take in with you, and you know, you're just like following story around. You find like a skull guy, it's just his head. He talks to you a bunch like, then you carry him around, you put him on other skeletons, and like self puzzles, it's stuff like that. It's very like puzzly and story oriented, and Jack Sparrow is walking around talking to and stuff. So you can play it by yourself, which is just super nice, and it also feels like onboarding kind of content. It's the sort of thing like if you're jumping into Sea a Thieves because you like Jack Sparrow. The game is gonna teach you how to play it pretty well and you're not gonna, you know, have a hard time with other people, so all that's fun. It does kind of feel like not what See of Thieves is most of the time, because it is that sort of single player story oriented puzzly like it's like going through levels. It's like a much more traditional version of a video game than See If Thieves, ever is See If Thieves is about getting on a ship and sailing and like, oh, we're gonna go dig up a chest, but then you run into other people who murder you. Like that's that's what the actual Sea of Thieves game is, and it doesn't really play like you're like exploring this town and like climbing up on stuff and using police to move boxes so you could make platforms, and it's like Skate's not really especially good at platforming. It's not really especially good at like close quarters combat with AI enemies. There are a bunch of those things, and those are things are fun, but like you fall off them a lot, and combat's a little weird. It's a little buggy. I've had some issues getting like stuck on boss fights and stuff. Nothing that broke the game for me personally. So all let's say I've enjoyed it. It's cool, Like it's nice to have it, and I like getting back into Sea a Thieves because that game is real goofy, like always crazy things are happening. Yeah, and it's nice to have something I can do and see Thieves by myself and like kind of get back into it. But yeah, I like I would say that if you're gonna play it like you'll enjoy it, but also you should play See Thieves with some friends in the way that it actually is, because it's totally different. Yeah, exactly, do.
Speaker 3: You play with Mike Jo at all? Because I did? Yeah, yeah, I do some.
Speaker 4: He plays a lot when he gets into when he gets into a game, he gets really into a game, and like, I can't keep up. He's like, oh, yeah, we're gonna do Arena. I'm a pirate religion. Now I'm like blah blah blahlah. And I got like two hours a week for this game. Maybe, like I can't. I can't do everything he did all the time. Okay, so they're a separate from the Jack Sparrow stuff. There are ten other tall tales in the game that are long. They take a long time to do. He burned through all of them the other day. He did all of them in a row.
Speaker 3: Maybe he's just like maybe he's mister video games. He is due.
Speaker 4: It was intense, Like he's very good at it too, Like I feel I like playing with him, but also sometimes I'm like, shit, I'm not good enough. I'm really worried that I'm gonna hold back our team right.
Speaker 2: Now, this dude's a legend. They sing songs about him on certain service.
Speaker 4: He is legitimately like maxed out a lot of that game. It's damn, this takes forever. That's dedication.
Speaker 1: I have.
Speaker 3: I have one question though, about the Jack Sparrow or about what is it called Pirate's Life. Does does Jack Sparrow ever turn to the camera and say, this really is a s I love. I love that. I don't know.
Speaker 4: He doesn't say that in particular, but he does say they say see a thieves a lot. He says a lot of his like pirates lines, a lot of things. You're gonna you're gonna hear things you recognize and figure out like a fan.
Speaker 3: Like damn, they.
Speaker 4: Sing that Yoho Pirate's Life for Me song constantly.
Speaker 3: It is like, here's the ship that you want?
Speaker 1: Is the actual Pirates of the Caribbean theme, play anymoy oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like it's it's sort of like woven in, you know, like they do some cool stuff with music. It kind of mixes in with the Sea of Thieves theme and stuff. So yeah, like it's it's we're calling it, but it feels like its own thing. But yeah, especially if you like the ride. Like there's a lot of stuff from the movies in this obviously, but if you like the Disneyland ride, a lot of these levels feel single playery because they're like recreating the ride in a really like sort of a one to one way. There's one tall tale where you like end up in a town where it's being attacked by pirates. It's being attacked by Barbosa, the pirate guy, the villain from the first movie, and they're looking for Jack Sparrow and you look for him too, but you're running around and it feels like you're running through like Disneyland. They're like clutches of pirates like having an auction and a few other guys like singing a song and they're drunk in another corner and.
Speaker 1: You're just like dunked in a pool of water. And that's the one that happens.
Speaker 2: Whereas like, we know you haven't been able to go to Disneyland for the past year.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's like, yeah, I assume maybe they cut out the part where they're like chasing women around.
Speaker 4: Like that part's not in it.
Speaker 1: They probably probably cut that part out. I assume that's been cut out of the actual ride of this I think.
Speaker 4: They probably recently cut that out of the ride.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm amazed that Rare was able to keep this whole thing a secret and then announce it and be like, oh, and it's coming out in like a few weeks, because apparently they secured this deal back at E three twenty nineteen, which is why they were so excited all those years ago. And a bunch of people were like, oh, I guess Rare is just really happy that they were finally able to announce Battle toads Or and it's like, like, why are all the people at Rare are like so happy. It's like it's just because they had just talked to that Disney. We're doing Pirates.
Speaker 3: It's legit too, like.
Speaker 4: They they definitely put in a lot of work and did like a lot of Disney due diligence, you know what I mean. It feels like they really tapped into all the you know, the ride stuff and the movie stuff. A bunch of characters from all those things show up. The guy who the voices Jack spar is the same guy that voices Jack Sparrow in Kingdom Hearts, and it's like does a really great job, but it's it's it's they put the work in for sure.
Speaker 3: It's cool, solid dude.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, I'm excited. I I'm wanting to check that out. I've been like interested in seeing Thieves on and off, but I've just never had like a group of people to play it with. And I'm like trying to convince my partner. I'm like, hey, like you want to play some Sea Thieves is free on game Pass And They're like, no, I'm not really interested. And I'm like, okay, so maybe one day I'll find someone to play that with.
Speaker 4: Just it's just pets now they have pets.
Speaker 1: Oh maybe that'll you know what, that actually might convince her.
Speaker 4: I have a I have a monkey and orange monkey called small Charles.
Speaker 1: You know what. Yeah, okay, that'll be my new strategy. I'll be like, dude, there's something monkey. You can get other dogs. They're like there are dogs now, okay, there are dogs? Yes, all right, I think I can.
Speaker 4: You can also get the dog with the keys from the ride.
Speaker 1: Excellent. Well, all right, moving on, Michael, tell me about anime. So there's Xbox anime. Well just Xbox right, it's it's.
Speaker 3: I've been playing on PS five. Tom about Scarlet Nexus some real anime bullshit, Oh my god, the new joint from Bandy Namco where anime boy fights against monsters with anime girl who also fights monsters. Uh, it's you know what. I previewed it. I talked a little bit about it some episodes ago and Holy ship, Yo, Scarlet Nexus is that combat system in this game is fucking wild.
Speaker 2: It is so good like I was, because it's like wild.
Speaker 3: Know this, you know this comment system is so cool like it has it has some so it's it plays kind of think of it as a sort of Platinum game style action. The only there there are some some things I some grapes I have with it. It does feel a little sticky, like sometimes inputs don't register when you're in the middle of combos, so it's not exactly as smooth as a Platinum game. But holy shit, they have like so many different mechanics and systems at play that make it so fascinating. I think like there's there's sort of like this elemental thing where you have electricity, water, fire, and also ship. But so how how do I back Let me back it up a second, y know, I am fucked up this morning. So yes, you control a at the start of the game, you can either play as the male protagonist or the female protagonist. I chose to anime girl because she's badass.
Speaker 2: Yo.
Speaker 3: She had yo. She has gray hair and red eyes, and I'm like, that's all.
Speaker 5: I played.
Speaker 3: I was playing the sword art band I Namco's other joint. I think it was band Namco. They did a sword art game and that's I think it's Fatal Bullet. But I made That's how I made my character. I was like, Yo, this is my creative anime character right here. If it's not she a, it's a it's an anime girl with gray hair and red eyes. So yeah, you play as her and you control or yeah, you control the character and you do like your basic combo stuff like Square Scoresco Square Triangle so shit. But you also have telekinetic powers and you can basically automatically it locks onto objects in the environment, so you don't have to like aim anything. You just pull the trigger and you start. You you basically pick up this fucking like a brick or like a big slab of concrete and fucking toss that shit at these motherfuckers, like uh it is and it feels good like it feels like it has a lot of weight. And then throughout the game you get different party members at different story moments. But yeah, so you have different party members who are your abilities, so you can duplicate like your attacks. You can go invisible and do a backstep. You can also add fire, which also adds an extra attack to your combo. And then like you see like some shit blow up. And there's also a and there's another telekinetic ability that uses mortgage telekinetic powers where you can at you pull a bigger object and then you have like qts with it and it's really satisfying. Like you get like two fucking vending machines and you smash a monster like you sandwich them with it, and you have to like press the fucking the thumbsticks together. So it's like, yeah, it does this, I'm doing it. Uh, It's it's so smart, man. That comment system is like if they can uh like refine it a little bit for like a sequel or another game. Now, let me tell you about the story. This ship is so whack.
Speaker 1: Okay, that was give me my big question because everything you've been saying, I'm like, oh, that sounds like pretty good, Like maybe I'll pick it up.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, this like this ship is so dry. Like the writing, the writing and the dialogue in this game is so fucking dry. Dog Like, I oh, it's so because like there's so much potential. The character designs are really cool, the world building is really cool, so like there's a lot of potential, but the actual dialogue sequences are like, damn, y'all, motherfucker's really talking circles and they'll they'll have like a five minute conversation and say absolutely nothing about what's happening in the world, and it's like very it's so basic, like the oh my god, why would you betray me? No, I didn't betray you because secret, Oh my gosh, the secret.
Speaker 6: It's like it's painful to listen to, which sucks because the voice acting is pretty good, but it's like, you can have the best voice actors in the game if the script is dry as shit you hate to hear.
Speaker 3: You'll hate to hear it. And I don't know. I hope. I'm like about six seven hours into the game, so I hope that it picks up, but I am. I am thankful, Like the game moves pretty fast and like all right, let's get you. Let's get you into some combat, Like here's his combat, here's his boss fight.
Speaker 2: We know this is the good part of the game. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: So I don't know, maybe there's gonna be like a big twist or some shit that's be like, oh, that's fascinating, but yeah, I'm gonna keep playing. I'm having a ton of fun with it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's disappointed about the story because I was looking forward to it. When because they've been doing mad stuff with Xbox for the past few e threes and conferences, and so when Xbox showed like at their extended thing, it's like, oh, and uh, Scarlett Nexus, you are playing us two characters, and like you'll actually see then, like certain scenes from completely different perspectives if you play as both characters. I'm like, oh, that's really cool. It's kind of almost a Last of Us Part two vibe thing kind of going on. I would love to see how this at all impacts the story. But the story is not good, then yeah, when does it matter?
Speaker 3: Hold that that kind of ship off all you want, but it's like that the the script is dry, then then that can't save it. But yeah, like, uh, I think that the depending on which character you pick at certain points, it diverges, and like you said, you'll see completely different scenes and then they'll meet up again at the certain sequences. I think that concept is really cool. But again, like Jordan said, the story isn't there then damn. But that's a cool idea. I think like conceptually they pull it off. Well, it's just yeah, not not interesting.
Speaker 1: Dang. Is it on game Pass or no?
Speaker 2: You would think you would think, but no, partnering with Xbox for like every single showcase that they've done not on game Pass, And I'm like, why did you do that?
Speaker 1: Like I wanna like hearing about the combat and like like it looks good and I've like heard like that the music's like pretty good, Like there's enough there that I'm like, oh, like I want to at least like check it out or like support it in like some capacity. But like, like if the story's not there, like that's hard to it's hard to justify like buying it at full price, at least for me, Like right now.
Speaker 2: I guess this is Xbox's attempt to because when like I want to say, it's been a year now, maybe it's been two. Uh, Big Phil was like, hey, Xbox kind of once the whole Japan connection that PlayStation has. I assume that's what this is.
Speaker 1: That's what it's like.
Speaker 2: It's like the beginning of Xbox trying to be like, hey, we can do anime games too.
Speaker 1: I remember when it is, like I don't know, it was like two thousand and six or seven, when uh on Xbox is a E three stage show, they brought out the the Xbox only Naruto game Rise of a Ninja. That's when they were like making their big anime anime push.
Speaker 3: Oh wait, is that was that the Ubisoft Yeah.
Speaker 1: The u Soft one, the one we were playing in the because that game is a awesome. It is an awesome Naruto game. It was Xbox only and they had it like on the stage show. And that was like during my like peak Naruto fandom. So I was like fucking so excited. I was like, hell, yeah, like Naruto on Xbox, let's go. I was like, so, so, uh you know, like hey, they want to bring that back, you know, uh maybe, uh. I don't know what's a what's what's like Naruto equivalent? Now? I guess like my hero, my hero, oh man, they want to like you know, get like a big fill wants to get like my hero, you know, collab going with Xbox. Yeah, make it not an arena fighter, yo, make it not an arena fighter.
Speaker 3: Get someone else to make a game. An open world action RPG from my hero would be fucking fire, Like let's go.
Speaker 1: Like, look, I know you'd be soft. Like they're really excited about Star Wars. But if they want to go back to anime with all the lessons they've learned and apply.
Speaker 2: That, it would be some game as a service division to something or something, you know what.
Speaker 3: It's my hero though, Like, but what if it's like just like take Marvel's Avengers.
Speaker 7: Hero, Michael, you don't mean, but like the alternatives like you have all those like free to play like Asian MMOs that like, in my opinion, are like not much better in terms of just like grinding nonsense.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely, it's like kind of the same thing. So I'm like, look like why not why not make it happen?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can make your own anime boy or anime girl? But also I want to play as like buckle Go. I want to like explode ship you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also I'm sorry, Phil, I realize I keep saying things like big Phil and it might like, sure you thinking's like that, I'm talking about you small.
Speaker 1: I know I'm not Big Phil aware.
Speaker 2: Big Phil is an idea m sometimes to strive.
Speaker 3: Big Phill is inside us all.
Speaker 1: I don't know, Jordan, why don't you tell me about Backbone? I've never heard of this? What is this?
Speaker 2: It was another game that came out just before E three and probably will be somewhat buried because of it. It's I think a few sites have talked about. It's a detective noir kind of style video game in the whole anthropomorphic animal type deal.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it's like you're you're you're playing as a raccoon, and it's like it's it's a society where the animals that are closer to humans are like at the top, so like apes, gorillas and stuff like that. There were like rich white people and so someone like a raccoon is like, uh, poor black person or Hispanic person. Like it's it's like very loose connection, but the game like really leans into that and it's like this is a society like just fraught with racism, classism, Like it's just really shitty. And you play as a private investigator whose very first case is to figure out if this dude is actually cheating on his wife and if he is, to get pictures and it like, I won't spoil it because it is actually really good, but like you, while investigating this case, the case just spirals into something crazy, like it's whatever you think is going to happen, You're wrong. It like it's just it. It goes to a place where I'm like, damn, I'm in this for the long haul. I'm gonna see this all the way through it. I think it's a pretty short affair.
Speaker 5: I am.
Speaker 2: Each chapter is like an hour and there's five in total. So unless this each chapter gets like significantly longer on the tail end, I think it's going to be like a five to six hour game. I'm like two two and a half hours in. It is on game Pass Ultimates on PC. You can't play it on Xbox the console, but you can play it on the PC version of game Pass. It's the perfect little game Pass game. Get the good, like five six hours out of it. I really love how there's these moments because there is this there's like a few choice driven things like you meet a journalist and you get to decide what you say, and there's the whole text string on the side that looks very much like disco elysium, and you get to decide whether you trust her right off the bat, whether you want to flirt with her, whether you want to be cold and distant, all these different things, and that shapes the relationship that you have with her, which then correlates into something later when you've gathered evidence and you're trying to make deductions about how certain things connect to one another. That will determine how helpful she is with you, depending on how you treated her like an hour prior. And it has like a lot of things like that, where you do something and then forty five minutes later that thing comes back to bite you in the most unexpected way. And that's really cool and interesting and fascinating, and I'm hoping the game sticks the landing. I have seen some outlets at a few places say that that game ends on a cliffhanger, implying that there's going to be more coming. I have no idea if that's true. I haven't beaten it, but from what I've played so far, it's really awesome and interesting, and it's got this nice smooth jazz soundtrack, and yeah, if you like detective games, if you like being that person who's like, I have all of these papers in front of me and the game's not going to tell me what clue specifically goes to what clue on which piece of paper, and I have to figure out for myself or everyone arounds me going to think that I'm an idiot, because it's like, why would you think that the person who's talking about science is the president or something like that. That doesn't make any sense the President want to be talking about science in America?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's stupid.
Speaker 2: So I really like it. I'm really enjoying it so far. It's something that I've just been kind of dabbling between my frequent trips into an mmorp than I am also playing.
Speaker 1: Dude, that sounds I'm definitely gonna check this out now, Like I am super installing this. Yeah, I like I looked at the I looked at the screenshots as we were talking, and I was like, oh, like, this looks like my ship. Like I grew up playing like point and click adventure games like Detective style stuff. I've played every single Nancy Drew, all thirty two of them. Thirty three of them. Oh god, I don't even it's oh there was that many?
Speaker 3: Oh yes, oh man, let me tell you I Nancy Drew put in work.
Speaker 1: It's a shame and never got recorded. But uh, there was a Pax panel if you want to know all about so I just need to go back in time and go back in time, go to a PAX panel Packs East or Pats West twenty eighteen.
Speaker 3: Oh god, yeah, the one, the one where you were talking about Nancy Drew. Yeah, ab Abby was there too. Yeah, wait, Pax West twenty eighteen, so like twenty nineteen twenty nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was like, if it was past X twenty eighteen, that means you like literally recorded it before I got there, like before I.
Speaker 1: But yeah, dude, like that kind of those kinds of games are like absolutely my shit. And you know we've already established my love of anthropomorphic animals, people things. So I'm all in on this.
Speaker 2: If you want to be a degenerate drunk, that is totally an option for you, Like you can just like waste yourself.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna clip that with no context. How dare you?
Speaker 2: This is a safe space, Michael.
Speaker 1: But you've been saying you've also been checking out and he said, an MMO you've been playing is like the other one you have on the list here?
Speaker 2: Oh no, oh no, okay now the Minute of Islands. Yeah, like real I have. I kind of took a break from Apex. I've had some time to play longer games, and I'm like, MMO RPGs.
Speaker 3: Are you playing the Fantasy is the critical? You claim MMO rpg with the free try that lets you go up to level sixty and you get the first expansion for free, that one.
Speaker 2: So uh yeah, it's free to play. And I've been having a really good time with a Fantasy Star Online. New Genesis.
Speaker 3: Man, I hate to see it. I respect PSL too.
Speaker 1: Is that any good? The New Genesis stuff? I haven't heard anyone. It kind of like just came out like still.
Speaker 2: Yeah also during the three Yeah, no, I.
Speaker 1: Haven't heard anyone talk about it. And I'm like, is that good?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: Should I check that out? It's really.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's if based on everything that I have heard of fourteen, I do not think it's as good as that, But so far I'm enjoying it. It's weird because like they've done a lot of changes, like it's not really Fantasy Star Online too. It's like the graphics are different, the story is kind of going in a slightly different direction. There's actually really good voice acting now for the characters, Like they brought in like new people and stuff like that, a little bit of new music. Combat's been overhauled there. The game now takes in this giant, almost breath of the word wild like world where there's no loading screens between areas, so you can like go to the top of a really tall mountain and like glide all the way back to the main city hub if you want. It'll take you like two to three minutes, but you can do it if you want to. And there's like all these things where like you're just hanging out in the city and all of a sudden, like the sky turns like dark red, and like alarms start blaring in the city and it's like, hey, these really high level enemies are about to attack the city. Everyone who's like of this power level are higher, like we need your help. And so like you're in this hub and you see like a bunch of like newbies like me like chatting like yo.
Speaker 1: What the what the fuck's going on?
Speaker 2: Like what's happening, and then you see all these like really high level characters being like okay, rookies, like just just stay here. And you see like this group of like thirty people like just running out of the city going to like fight like some giant monster out in the world. It's like, oh, it's like three hundred meters away, go this direction to head it off. And I'm like, Yo, that's really cool. That's really awesome. I love how this is totally not Fantasy Star Online too, because like the original game does not have any.
Speaker 1: Any of that. Yeah, you're just having a completely different game than I used to, so wild.
Speaker 2: That's really cool. That's really awesome. I love the changes that they've done to it. It starts off pretty slow, begins in that way. It's like we're gonna teach you everything. We're gonna teach you combat, We're gonna teach you how to jump, We're gonna teach you what this shop does, and what this shop does, and what this currency is for, and how you level up your character in these different ways, and how you unlock your subclass and how you can invest more points in the subclass. I'm like, oh my god, stop with the tutorials, so that takes a really long time, and that's a kind of boring ish. And the game, as far as I can tell, is still in the kind of oh, we're not really done with it yet. This is more we've created almost a new MMO RPG, and like this is the starting point and you're gonna get more expansions going forward. So I'm interested to see how it evolves, what it evolves into.
Speaker 3: If it's.
Speaker 2: Something that you're like, oh, I just kind of want to play an MMO RPG on my own, you can do that. If you want to play with friends, you can easily do that too. Like connecting with people is super easy and simple. It's just like here's my friend code, and they just input the friend code and you just party up together and it's pretty awesome. It's pretty cool. As far as I can tell. The community is very welcoming and not toxic from what I've seen so far, so that's good. I'm having a good time.
Speaker 1: So, like.
Speaker 3: I'm just kidding.
Speaker 1: I feel like any community that was like waiting like what like almost a decade for like time for the release the English release of that game was just like already going to be such a small niche community that they were just naturally probably going to be like really chill about it and just like oh, new people come in, Yes, I will happily show you how this game works. That sounds cool, though, I'm I'm I might have checked that out. It's neat that they are actually like trying to continue and evolve that game, because, like, as excited as I was for PSO two when it finally came out, it was like, yeah, this is.
Speaker 2: A game that came out like eight to ten years ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're like, oh yeah, wow, yeah, maybe the my interest in this has waned a little bit, so the fact that they're actually trying to like revive it and refresh it is sounds exciting. I definitely want to check out more of that. But Jordan, why don't you tell us about the last game on your list?
Speaker 2: For sure? A Minute of Islands another game that came out during the E three period surprise release. I can't remember which conference it was, but maybe with Summer Games Fest. It was one of those where it's like, here's a new trailer for this game you haven't heard about in a while, and it's out today, and I'm like, cool, been looking forward to this for a while. Don't have time to play it now, keep it on my list until later. And oh my god, I think I took a screenshot of like the message that pops up when you first play the game. Oh my god, I hope I did, because so I love it was like one of those things. So to give context, Minute of Islands is this very like cartoon looking child's ish type thing where you're playing as this girl who's sailing around at a boat and fixing these machines in order to save the world and whatnot. Very standard, typical, chosen one type of thing. Ah, yes, so I did take a When you first moot up the game, you click new game, the first thing that pops up is content warning. Minute of Islence is a game that deals with complex themes such as trauma, anxiety, and destructive behavior towards oneself and others. The game also uses images and language which may be triggering or disturbing to some. And I'm like, huh, that sounds almost like Doky Doky Literature Club and I read something like that, and so I started playing, and I'm like, oh my god, it's one of those games where you're playing as this girl in this world where like global catastrophe has destroyed the environment and now there's this like toxis toxic fungus in the air and these spores that if you breathe them in, they start choking you and they slowly give you hallucinations and then your brain starts to moolv on itself and then you just die. And she's the one responsible for making care of the machines, to make sure that the air stays clean so that that doesn't happen. But to do that, she has to like live in the most dangerous areas and be subjugate herself, like to the toxic fumes. And she's pushed her uncle away, her sister away, and like her family's like, hey, we love you, but you're being kind of an ass. And she's like, I have to be an ass because if someone isn't fixing the machines, we're all going to die. And so it's this game about this girl is like being the chosen one. Like it's really cool in the moment because you have that adventure where you first save the world, but then for the rest of your life you're gonna slowly push everyone you love away, harming them and in a way, harming yourself both emotionally and physically to ensure that the world stays safe so that everyone else can continue being happy. I'm like, oh my god, this game goes to some really dark, hard places.
Speaker 3: Oh damn ship. I saw I saw the first time when I saw it during like a showcase. I was like, Oh, it's cute. It's like it's like an adventure time yeah style art.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's what it seems.
Speaker 3: It seems cool. Oh my god, it's good.
Speaker 2: Like I'm enjoying it so far, but holy shit, damn.
Speaker 3: So like that the anti chickery.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like the universe is like like you had you had too much wholesomeness from chickory.
Speaker 3: Chickery was too nice about it. Yeah, it's time for darkness.
Speaker 1: Oh ship, Uh that sounds great. Yeah that was. That was another game that I like, I furiously. I like made a massive list of like all the indie games that I saw, like during E three that I was like, oh, like, so I wouldn't forget them, And that was one of the ones I had on my list. Again, didn't know it was already out or like, so goddamn quick.
Speaker 2: All those indie devs out there. I know you're all listening to us because we're such wonderful people, and of course you're all listening to this podcast. But quick PSA to Indie deevs. You are allowed to do whatever you want with your game. It's your game, it's your baby. I do not care less, but if you could, please please stop releasing your games in the months of June and December, because most of us in the journalism world do not have much time to play new games in June and December. So like you could just avoid those months for the foreseeable future, it would be so much easier for us to play your games and cover your games like it's come on, Like when you're releasing games like A Minute of Islands and stuff like that and Backbone during June, and I look at them, I'm like, I want to play them, but at the same time, like E three is right there and I have to do it. It's my job. I can't just go up to Tam and be like, fuck E three. This year, it's about games.
Speaker 1: I'm playing, Chickory. Let's finish off with Phil. Phil. You've been playing Final Fantasy, Sevin Remake Integrade inter Mission, right, Is that correct?
Speaker 2: That's all of it.
Speaker 1: You remember it?
Speaker 2: All of it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did it. How was that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I get I did it for the review and it's good. It's more Final Fantasy seven remake, which is excellent, Tellian, And what I like about it is that so it centers on Ufi. It's this whole like side story, standalone thing that takes place in the middle of the other game, which is hilarious because like, you know, you've got Avalanche running around blowing stuff up, and then Ufi is also there, kind of off to the side that no one noticed. But she's a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Like she's.
Speaker 4: Really well realized as a character, I thought, which is the thing that I like about remake in general. And like I never liked Ufi in the original.
Speaker 1: Gonna say, I've found Ufi really obnoxious.
Speaker 4: Annoy Yeah, yeah, right, like I And it might have been that she was a side character and so like, I don't have any strong feelings or memories about you if you except that, like she stole all my ship and I was mad about it, like I wanted that material back, and but like you pop in with her from the start in this and she's like Insector seven, you know, in uh miker looking for trying to break into Chitraun and like steal the ship, which is cool because those guys suck. But she's just like it's like playing a kid who is excited, really very excited to be here, and it's like semi playing pretend the entire time, right, Like she's like, I'm Euphie and I'm gonna do ninja things, and she's like talking to herself. It's like there's no one here. You feel like it's a little bit like she's exactly but at the same time, like she is a legitimate ninja ass kicker, secret agent who is constantly trying to convince everybody in the room that like, yes, she is this cool and but and she's really insecure about it, and so because she's so young, right, and like it just really plays really well. She's very funny, Like I had a great time just like hanging around with her, and you know she They did a great job of like realizing all these interesting elements of UFI in a different way than I thought the original game did at all. So plus the combat is super good, Like she's she's real fast because she's got that can I think, so she can like fight up close or throw the the Ninja Star at people, and then she can do like all these magic attacks that are weird, and it basically you just like wallop everybody. You just pummel people with these like long combos where they're in the air and they're like bouncing around and you're like, I'm stunning him and hitting them with like special Ninja magic and like ice and fire and throwing your thing and then pulling it back and like zooming around the battlefield. Because when you call back the Ninja Star to u Fee, it doesn't come to her. She goes to it. So you can use it to like fly around the battlefield and beat the hell out of people.
Speaker 1: It's great, It's super good.
Speaker 3: That's really cool.
Speaker 4: I need to get back into it because like I have that platinum for a remake and I need to like continue knock that out on the list. But I suck it for Condor and it's really frustrating. So for Condor is the other thing. It's like this the new mini game that they added. It's sort of like a board game strategy game. What you do is you like, uh, you've got three towers on your side and the other person has three towers on their side, and you summon like characters to fly over or walk over and like destroy the towers. And so they are summoning their characters. You're so many your characters. There's a little rock paper scissors thing where each character has a class, and so like defense characters beat assault characters, but they're killed by range characters, you know, like so that sort of thing, and so you just like run around the world buying or finding new figures to put into the game to attack stuff. And that's it, Like that's the whole strategy is, Like you just summon stuff. You know. There's a little timer that says how long you can summon stuff, and the longer you let the timer go, the more expensive or powerful unit you can summon. And so like there's strategy in figuring out what to bring looking at what the other player has, and so you know, Okay, if they've got a bunch of defense characters, I want a bunch of range characters so that I can uh rock paper sisters them to death. But that's like pretty much it. And then you just drop them on there and hope that they win. And like I ever figured out how to be good at it. I don't know that there's really all that much strategy, and that's kind of like the drawback I have for the whole deal sees it all kind of feels a little thin like that, you know, but in general, like it's it's really fun to be back in that world. And if I can figure out for Condor and I can get that platinum, we'll be happy about it. But otherwise, like it was just cool to like beat the hell as some Shinner guys with with UFI and the new combat and stuff. Like, I'm really excited for all this to like link back up into the later full remake levels are releases games, I guess, so it's gonna be yeah, right, exactly one day, one day when all this links back together and all this weird like it also has all this weird like Dirgy service crap involved too, and like I don't remember any of this.
Speaker 3: I don't know what any.
Speaker 1: Of the stuff means.
Speaker 4: So I'm excited for that to being like an actual game with other Final Fantasy characters or f F seven characters that I remember and have an idea of like where the story is going. I think it will all be cool eventually, but like, right, now it's just like a bunch of stuff intermission.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how's he how's how's it play? On? On PS? I like popped it in for like a second just to like see, and I was like, damn that loading time is fast, and so that's all I gotta check out. But it seems like pretty substantial.
Speaker 4: So I've heard people say that when they play on graphics mode the four K mode, it like starters out for them.
Speaker 3: I didn't have any issues like.
Speaker 4: That at all. I thought it looked amazing. I thought it looked super good. I played the whole thing. I played the entire like Don Creneo's Coliseum Hell House fight that, like that whole sequence over again in four K.
Speaker 3: And I was like, fuck, this is amazing, dude.
Speaker 4: It was like the exact perfect thing to like go try it out, I thought. And I was very happy to go play through all that again. So I think it looks great in four K. I think that's like the superior version personally, if it doesn't run like shit on your machine for some reason. The sixty FBS version the performance mode also cool, but it feels a little too smooth to me, really real cinematic. Yeah, well I'm a thirty fps guy. Generally it depends on the game obviously, Like we're gonna talk about shooters and stuff, you know, different situation. But this game is so cinematic. There's so many like fast camera moves and like big pans and like important shots that it feels like things go a little too quick when it gets up to sixty you know what I mean, Like it moves a little too fast as a little jar.
Speaker 1: It's like when your TV has like that like motion smoothing and you're like, oh, this doesn't look right.
Speaker 4: It shouldn't be yeah right, like and that might that might just be me, but it feels like a little less cinematic, a little a little different from what I think they intended it to feel.
Speaker 3: Like at sixty fps.
Speaker 4: But that said, Combat SI sixty fps.
Speaker 1: Is freaking awesome.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, exactly, So they're you know, trade offs, but it's cool. Man.
Speaker 2: Do you think we see all of remake in this console generation? Considering most console generations are eight to twelve years, do you think they get all the parts of Final Fantasy seven out before the PlayStation six? Like I feel like they have to, Like yeah, you feel like they have to, But will they like and it is square, Like.
Speaker 4: No, well didn't they say that. They were like, okay, but you know, this first episode is going to take a long time to make, but then we'll have all these assets and resources.
Speaker 2: I know what they said, but then like is that true?
Speaker 1: They just recently put out a thing where they I forget who it was, but one of them said like, oh, part two is going to be like very different from part one. I'm like what does that mean? Like, like, are you completely changed an hour long?
Speaker 5: But care?
Speaker 2: Could you imagine if like Final Fantasy seven remake becomes this game where it just started on PS four and it just like caress across like multiple generations, ends on the station. It's like, oh, part four is finally here, and it's like, yeah, he played this three PlayStations ago.
Speaker 1: The gap between part one and part three is the same gap between the original Final Fantasy seven.
Speaker 5: And.
Speaker 3: Then they'll have to put out a well, I mean Integrate is basically a re remastered like seven remake remaster.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then they finally released like okay, now here's the like five disc collection of all the parts together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like five hundred bucks. You know what I'm gonna fucking buy it.
Speaker 4: Yeah all right, Oh the music too. I just want to mention they they Yeah. If you guys like the F F seven remakes, yeah, I know, I know you do.
Speaker 3: That's why I wanted to make sure.
Speaker 4: So it takes a lot of the music from seven make and like re imagines it again, which is already reimagining.
Speaker 3: Which is super good.
Speaker 4: Like they mix in the Bootie themes in some cool ways. So anyway, I bought that soundtrack. I'll let you know when it goes.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Phil, Phil. Phil hooked us up last time. He popped up. What was it like?
Speaker 5: You see?
Speaker 3: Wait? Wait wait wait wait? Why is there a Pillsbury dough boy on your floor?
Speaker 4: That is now the Pillsbury dope boy.
Speaker 2: That's the ghost ghost marshmallow man ah ship.
Speaker 4: Sorry, he exists specifically to when I'm on video to block outlets and chords and stuff. That's why he stands over there in the corner.
Speaker 1: It reminds me of what was it, Tim Sweeney? Is is uh Popeye's cup just sitting on the floor, because I think he that was like the same thing he like or no, no, no not Popeye had a Popeyes company the orb right, yeah, glowing well I think he said, if I get the story right, that the reason he put it there is because he's spilt some of his Popeyes on the carpet and you need to glover it up. So he's like, oh, I'll just take this orb I have just put it down. I love that.
Speaker 3: That's great to have that much money.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, why don't we move on to a little bit of news. There isn't that much going on because it's post e three. I mean, like I'm better. It's kind of like you better have nothing going on, like take a break, relax. But there are a couple a couple of things I wanted to at least just touch upon. The first being probably the biggest, is that Cyberpunk back on PlayStation.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: It's finally been approved. Sony has let the game come back on It's part of their Oh what's the exact patch number. It's patch give me a sec sorpunk. Patch one point two three is the name of the patch. Not as big of a patch is like that crazy first patch they did where it was like three pages long or like whatever. It was like it was like huge. This is a little bit of a smaller patch. But it seems like they're trying to finally get it fixed up. I personally haven't had a chance to take a look at it myself. I just don't know if I care anymore to look at it.
Speaker 2: That's like the point, like what does this run like on base PS four? Like it probably still runs decent on PS four Pro and probably still pretty good on PS five. Like the whole point is like does it now work on the PlayStation four console that came out like eight years ago?
Speaker 1: So I was watching a little bit of a Digital Founderies video about it that they put up. I haven't finished it yet though, so this is I'm just like throwing half uh facts out here. But from what I've seen, it seems like it is like definitely like more stable, but they had to cut a lot of corners to make it happen. So like there's so little NPCs now in the world, Like it's like night Citi is just dead, and it's like the vision has to been severely compromised to make it like run on that PS four And at that point I go like like okay, like you know, like in my opinion, that game's okay. It's like it's just all right, But I don't think like you when you get down to it, like nothing about that game's like open world is like that special outside of like damn, look how good it looks on PC with a good graph. And so when you're playing it on a base PS four and they've removed like you know, ninety percent of the NPCs or whatever, and you're like there's no one there, and I'm just like all you're left with this is like kind of muddy like empty open World, and I'm like, this is really this is really what you want to play? Is this the experience? Like? Oh, I don't know, Like I hope people who are waiting for it do have a good time with it, but like, yeah, man, I don't know. Yeah, are you guys like gonna go back and check it out or hadn't finished it and we're like waiting for patches.
Speaker 2: I mean I was lucky enough to have a Series X like when Cyberpunk came out, so I was able to at least get the oh it runs good enough version of on the console. Like I don't have a gaming PC, so I wasn't able to play it on that, but on the Series X it runs fine, Like there was still like occasional bugs and like a few.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: I think I crashed like once, but I didn't get any of the crazy things that people were posting on YouTube and Twitter. I'm like, okay, like playing it on Series X, this game runs pretty good, pretty fine. I can play this through to poletion and then just never have to touch it again unless I really want to, and like, yeah, that's I'm probably not gonna play it again.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, same. I played it on PC. I played it way too much. Honestly, I got like all the endings, yeah did as I was doing guide content at the.
Speaker 3: Time, and.
Speaker 4: I'm fully okay with never playing Soberone again.
Speaker 2: I got it.
Speaker 4: I got everything there was out of it, but didn't I did. I am I misremembering this. But didn't they even say that, like, yeah, it's available on PS four now we don't super recommend.
Speaker 3: Yeah they said, yeah, man, but I think they said we recommend on PS four pro or PS five. So basically like without saying it, be like, yo, this ship is ass on basic.
Speaker 1: I think that's sort of like, look, this is the best we could do with it. We can't we can't really push this thing anymore. So systems.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and at a certain point, you just need to be like, yo, would this ship is sailed, we just need to like keep move on with our lives in a way. So I get it.
Speaker 1: I agree, It's it's just like it's not the kind of game that's like it's like, I don't think this game is ever going to be a you know, a No Man's Sky or even.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just it's just not built that way. So it's like the idea of like, ah, this Redemption arc, it's like not at this point. Like the best you can hope for is like maybe the DC they put out will be like pretty cool, uh, and then you know they'll take the lessons learned for a Cyberpunk twenty seventy eight whatever, right, Like guess, I don't know. I think I'm just ready to stop. I'm excited that they put it out on PS four, so that hopefully this means we can kind of stop talking about cyberpus, right yep. And with that, it seems like we're we're all ready to move on from that one.
Speaker 2: I don't think we'll ever be completely free from cyberpunk. If for another reason, I think it's gonna be a cautionary tale. To a bunch of Triple A developers, it's like, hey, you're making your game for both current gen and last Gen. You need to make sure that if you're making it for last Gen, it runs on the old ass PS four and baseline Xbox One, because people still have those consoles. So if you say, hey, this game's coming out for Xbox One, it's gonna run on that giant ass fucking brick of an Xbox One that came with the connect like in twenty thirteen.
Speaker 1: Cyberpunk effects, that's what I'll call it. Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, I hope, I hope that isn't the case with I mean, we talked about it like previously on episodes, but like Horizon or you know.
Speaker 2: Got War, what Halo Infinite Please Infinite.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I agree with what Michael said during those episodes where it's like those are backed by Sony. They you know, they kind of know that hardware better. They're building it specifically for that hardware. So I don't think it'll be a cyberpunk situation, but you never know. You never knows. Four as hell old man, like, who knows? Other than that. I just wanted to quickly touch on yesterday they had the Sonic Last Days of the Time recording. They had a Sonics thirtieth anniversary and they had the Anniversary Symphony. Did any of y'all listen to that? Michael, you catch that? How use about Sonic?
Speaker 3: You know, Sonics cool? But I know I lived with a rabid Sonic fan.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Blessing was going, yeah, he was.
Speaker 3: Busting fat nuts like yo, but it's it seemed really cool. Like I peeped it for a little while because then it was like half orchestra half like what's a crush forty? So it was like also had like the alternative rock element to it and then like encore and mixed both. Like I was so like, I think that people who aren't into Sonic and saw a lot of people gushing about it, were like, you know what, I'm happy for y'all. Yeah, it seems like such a good representation of because Sonic music is dope, like legitimately dope. Yeah, and like to have it to have it represented in that style like having an orchestra and then having a rock band and bringing those two things together, Like I don't know that that's that's such a that's such a such a lovely thing. Like if I was deep into Sonic, I would probably be in tears dude.
Speaker 1: So yeah, absolutely, Like I'm not like that level of Sonic, but like I have played a surprising amount of the Sonic games and like yeah, like hearing like even like the Orchestra they got to like Sonic O six and I'm like, ah, like, you know, I guess they gotta do this one because of Sonic. You know, it's it's a Sonic game, like they got to cover it. But I was like, oh right, some of the music in Sonic O six is like fucking dope, Like this ship like hits like in the Orchestral is like oh oh, like that cames trash. But like, m like all the music I.
Speaker 2: Have, like a lot of three D Sonic games.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel like the most consistent thing about Sonic is the music. Music is like pretty over the years, it's always been pretty great.
Speaker 2: Like they could only get the game play to match that quality, like they would have one of the most popular franchises in the world.
Speaker 3: I mean, Sonic Adventure is fire. I love Sonic Adventure, you know what I'm saying. On Dreamcast was like yo, this is like yeah, like the next generation of three D action, Sonic Adventure was dope.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: Sonic Adventure is one of those things that I played like way past after it already came out, so like I I just don't have that like nostalgia, and I'm like, yeah, this game is like pretty flawed, and same with Adventure too, but like there's enough people that like really love both those games, and I'm like, you know what, like yeah, like like I can't, I can't hate on that, like no, like you know, good for you guys, Like I'm I'm glad y'all really love this game. I don't know if it's for me, Like you know, it's kind of yanky as hell, and I've been in I'm glad that you guys. Didn't you do the history of Sonic. I did do Sonic Yeah, I played. I played like every Sonic.
Speaker 3: So you you are you got Sonic Mania.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got Sonic Mania. Sonic Mania.
Speaker 3: It's good.
Speaker 1: It's good. So in my opinion, the one truly good Sonic game is Sonic Mania.
Speaker 2: If I were to pick, how dare you say Sonic Writers exist? You know what?
Speaker 1: I have played Sonic Writers actually, Sonic the Fighters. I'm really looking forward to checking that out and Lost Judgment coming later this fall. Oh yeah, yeah, that concert was The concert was good. It was really cool. Like the the orchestral stuff was like sick. It was really funny seeing like Yanks footage of like Sonic O six and then these like very professional looking you know, like people in all their suits and ties like just you know, playing their hearts out for this chanky Sonic footage like on the background behind them. Like it was hell of funny. But then like the Crush forty part was like legitimately like hell yeah. Like the the audience for that part, like everyone was like really into like the orchestras are like, yeah, this is really great and it sounds good. What got to the Crush forty? The chat just like lost their fucking minds. They were like let's fucking go, like uh they ended it on Live and let learn and just like the the audience just absolutely lost their shit. It was so good. I also think it like perfectly sums up the Sonic franchise, where it's like beautiful, sweeping like orchestral, like very classy, and then just like attitude attitude j rock like just absolute nonsense, like oh it was beautiful. It was. It's really good. If if you if you're interested in that, I think they have it archived up on the Sonic YouTube channel. You should definitely check it out. If if you like some good some good jams and you like Sonic and you didn't get a chance to see it, you should check that out. Uh oh right, And I think that is pretty much all the is for news. Normally this would be where we do our listener questions. You could always send a question to us at GameSpot after Dark at Redventures dot com, but or sorry, after Dark podcast at GameSpot dot com. I funcked that up. Wow, I said everything and that thing wrong. Completely ignore that. But we actually don't have any listener questions this week, which I think is okay. We can just kind of call this a episode.
Speaker 3: Jordan's got Jordan's got things to do.
Speaker 1: Jordan Scott things to do.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you all want having doing this recording so early in the morning, do.
Speaker 1: No problem at all. So yeah, I think we're just gonna call this and episode that is episode number ninety nine. Let's go around and give ourselves all a little shout out. Michael Hyam, where can the people find you, yo.
Speaker 3: You can find mister e three at Michael P. Higham on Twitter. We can find me and all my shit. I don't know. I don't. I don't really, I don't have video game takes. If you want video game takes, they'll follow me. All I do is get drunk and tweet about bullshit and I still play Persona dancing at two Amy start crying on Twitter about how beautiful Persona's soundtrack is.
Speaker 1: No arguments here. I canna, Yeah, absolutely, Jordan, Where can the lovely people find you?
Speaker 2: They can find me on Twitter at jm remee With. It looks like Apex Legends is going back to og World's Edge and King's Canyon next week, So if you follow me on Twitter, I'm probably just going to be talking about Apex stuff for the next couple of weeks. I talk about other stuff too sometimes occasionally, but I'm I'm sorry if you're looking for any opinions on other stuff. Nah, just Apex next week.
Speaker 3: Just Apex.
Speaker 1: Phil, What about what about you? Where? Where can people hear about all your destiny? Your destiny lore?
Speaker 4: I'm at on Twitter at Phil Hornshaw. I don't talk about destiny that much. Everybody has a misconception about me.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's just because I literally am in a discord chat with you where we constantly talk about destiny every single day. So, like I know, with you and Mesty, I thought you said slack at first, I'm like, is the slack destiny chat still going? We would annoy the hell out of that the amount we talked about destiny if we actually talked about it in that chat. No way, I.
Speaker 4: Will talk to you about destiny, but it's not the only thing I like.
Speaker 1: I'm a human being and you can find me at John Leake type. I'm gonna be I'm gonna be trying to take a break next week.
Speaker 2: Try that's wonderful.
Speaker 1: Man should be good. But I will be back for next week's podcast episode one hundred. Like I said, we got a little surprise. We're gonna have free all but hopefully I'll chat with the rest of them see if there's anything else cool we want to come up with. But otherwise I don't know. Don't don't set your expectations too high.
Speaker 3: It's just it's it's gonna be a banger.
Speaker 2: We're reviewing every single video game game Spot is ever reviewed.
Speaker 1: On a Oh shit, yeah, we can do that. Yeah, I think we can make that happen. Be quick. We'll just like rapid fire it, you know, like like okay, Michael Persona three go okay? Should we got in? Tennesse A three ten ten Final Fantasy ten Tenants Corona Cross uh still ten out of ten ship? All right? Nailed it? All right, guys, Well, we will see you all next time for episode one hundred, peace
Speaker 2: Dom