Speaker 1: If we have fellow listeners who actually read this book.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: Take out the fact that he's a vampire. He's basically just like an old man who's like, I love you, but I might hurt you.
Speaker 4: Sounds to me like the fantasy writings of a.
Speaker 5: Rejected of an adult who had a very hard time in high school.
Speaker 3: I wonder what vampire baseball is going to be. Guess what.
Speaker 1: It's just.
Speaker 2: It's very rare to find somebody who will watch you sleep without your permission.
Speaker 5: Hello, and welcome to Mean Book Club. My name is Clara Morris. I'm your favorite in the club. Today we are going to be talking Twilight.
Speaker 1: I'm Sarah. I'm your second favorite.
Speaker 4: Oh self proclaimed second favorite.
Speaker 2: I'm Sabrina. And the only reason I'm not your favorite is because you're too shy to make me your favorite.
Speaker 3: So I'm the host of your show. Damn it, John's Crags.
Speaker 5: I thought it was absolutely, by far, the best book we've read so far for this project.
Speaker 4: Maybe in my East is getting skewed because I only read bad books. Now, I really had a good time.
Speaker 5: I did a free trial of audible dot Com and listened to it on the commute, and it made the commute fly the bye.
Speaker 2: I actually have read this book before, as I've read all of the Twilight books. I think in two thousand and eight or nine, somewhere around there.
Speaker 4: You were a young young teenager at that time.
Speaker 6: I was a baby.
Speaker 2: No, I was in college, and it was a Christmas break and I read them all in less than one week, really pathetic, loved them, devoured them. Bought it again because it's been about ten years, and I read about one hundred and fifty pages of it, and last night I watched the movie.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking about watching the movie. Thanks last night.
Speaker 2: You say last night.
Speaker 3: From what I understand, you were out last night till pretty late. You started your night around night, so exactly what time did you watch?
Speaker 2: So from seven thirty to nine thirty I did work and watch Twilight, and then yeah, I ended up going out at eleven until five.
Speaker 1: So I listened to it mostly on YouTube. I found a free audiobook. The only problem was that every five minutes there was like a commercial, and that was.
Speaker 3: It sounds really horrible, it.
Speaker 1: Was, it was, but you know, you do what you gotta do.
Speaker 2: Got to do.
Speaker 3: I read the book via book that I hurt. I got it from Barnes and Noble on a partial gift card. I know I watched one of the Twilight movies years ago, or I read one of the books. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I read this book. There's a lot a lot to hate about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I loved it.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, maybe we'll have the most negative feelings towards it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I have a lot of negative feelings, but they're all really trumped by the great feelings I have.
Speaker 2: It's tough for me because when I read it for real, really loved it and a nostalgia.
Speaker 6: I have a lot of her nostalgia.
Speaker 2: But most of my complaints are about the pacing of the movie. From what I re read of the book, I felt like the pacing of it was maybe also not as great, so maybe I could.
Speaker 1: Yeah. That was my big issue. The book was the probably the second half. I was bored out of my mind and I was like into it for first half and then I was like this could be over by now I'm done with it.
Speaker 5: I felt more bored in the first half, Oh wow, because.
Speaker 4: It was like the love.
Speaker 5: The love was what it was like, get to it. If he's a vampire. We fucking know, get to it.
Speaker 6: He doesn't know, she doesn't know. It could have been radioactivity.
Speaker 1: That was a part I liked. Once she had him, it was boring to me.
Speaker 4: I was like, what the vampire chase was boring to you?
Speaker 1: Getting the vampires what I was into. Then once you had it, I was like, well, this is stupid.
Speaker 5: You shouldn't know mestic when the bad vampires are chasing her.
Speaker 1: Oh, that was really boring.
Speaker 4: That was boring.
Speaker 3: That was the only exciting.
Speaker 2: No, I like the lead up.
Speaker 6: There's no sex in this book right now.
Speaker 3: No, No, I think it says that he can never have sex.
Speaker 1: I think that's also part of it, because I think once they got together and that wasn't happening, I was like, well, I'm checking out a little bit here. And then there was like a fampire chase and I'm like, well, I know there's a bunch of their books. She's not gonna die.
Speaker 3: So this is called Twilight, and the basic premise is that we meet Bella.
Speaker 6: This Isabella Swan.
Speaker 3: Isabella Swan. She's like a pallid little uh freak freak who moves from Phoenix to Seattle because her parents.
Speaker 2: I never understood that people would expect her to be a cheerleader because she moved from Phoenix.
Speaker 3: Where the home of cheerleaders, right, right, right, But she's not Okay, she's not sunny, she's not tan, and she's not blonde.
Speaker 1: She fits in and Seattle she fits in, and she loves reading.
Speaker 6: She's read all the books.
Speaker 5: She somehow is extremely smart and independent at this kind of stuff moving being an adult.
Speaker 1: I didn't understand this. I could really to her in any way that she like. I was like, what her parents, Her mom's just like traveling with her boy. I was like, that's so detached, don't even have the mom. Yeah, honestly, she may as well be dead. It was fine with.
Speaker 7: Her being dead.
Speaker 1: She could have That's again at the ending didn't pay off for me. I said, she should be dead. I don't like her.
Speaker 6: I can't remember.
Speaker 2: It's possible this is all lead up to something that happens in one of the other books, and they're like really laying the foundation.
Speaker 4: I'm never going to write another one, and I don't.
Speaker 1: She could have just moved there, didn't need to have all this other shit around.
Speaker 5: I believe what it was was that Bella lived with her mother in Phoenix for her entire life. Then the mother got a boyfriend who had a travel job baseball player, so the mother would be at the baseball games and leave Belle at home. And Belle thought it was better to go to Seattle with her dad than be home alone.
Speaker 3: Bella, why would you want to be home alone? I want more supervision.
Speaker 4: I don't feel comfortable before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and also, who nobody wants to move when they're seventeen, You're like two years left to high school.
Speaker 6: Yeah, maybe she didn't have any friends.
Speaker 5: Yeah, didn't they say she's like, did sit in with anybody, but that she wasn't weird, like she meet friends immediately.
Speaker 4: It wasn't blonde either, Sarah.
Speaker 3: So she moves to the yeah, where she is immediately, she captivates the interest of every single male. She is the most beautiful thing, probably the experience we've all had.
Speaker 1: You have to understand there are a lot of ages in Seattle, so that's the one thing you have to understand.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's kind of like unspoken.
Speaker 5: Her father is the sheriff of the small town. But everybody still likes her and no one calls her a narc.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they lay some foundation early that the sheriff does like the Cullens.
Speaker 6: He thinks they're wonderful.
Speaker 2: The Collins being the vampire families, we just.
Speaker 3: Know that they're beautiful. There's four of them and they sit in a corner of the cafeteria to.
Speaker 2: There's five of each other.
Speaker 1: They're just like we, We're.
Speaker 3: All adopted by a young, beautiful surgeon.
Speaker 2: They justify that they move around every two years so that they can keep graduating, because the more or they move around, the like they can stay. If they start in junior year and then they have junior their year there and senior year there. Instead of what they could do is just move there and pretend to be eighteen and just get jobs and work in those jobs for I don't know, ten years because I look exactly the.
Speaker 1: Same as I do.
Speaker 2: What you can be eighteen, so but instead they just do two years of high school everywhere. Very weird.
Speaker 3: But I think if you're three or four hundred years old, what you want to keep reliving over and over again is junior and senior year of Also.
Speaker 6: Why do you have to go to high school?
Speaker 2: Who? Who is tracking them? No one?
Speaker 6: They're vampires.
Speaker 1: They haven't the grossest thing about it is that you're like, this guy's like one hundred and something years old and he's like hitting on high school, right, but she has an old soul that's like it's an extreme pedophilia type thing. It's really disturbing when you.
Speaker 3: Start thinking about it, when you're like, oh, wow, this guy's so charming and different and he's such a man. It's like, yeah, because he's three hundred years old, couldn't at least be attracted to like a fifty year old woman.
Speaker 6: Well, he is frozen at seventeen.
Speaker 3: Shit, yeah, audience is mine has lived for three hundred years.
Speaker 2: He has the knowledge of someone who is three hundred years old. But that doesn't mean that he's, you know, emotionally matured.
Speaker 1: I would think you'd have to be emotionally mature if you've lived that.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you're a vampire, though, your emotional maturity is so different.
Speaker 7: It's going to be you're never going to get beyond this certain point.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 6: So, I think you're never going to get beyond the certain I want to.
Speaker 7: Marry that person, I'll tell you that much.
Speaker 2: Well, but she wants to be with him forever and grow in their lives. They could grow in their love together.
Speaker 1: No one's thinking this out.
Speaker 2: I'm real into vampire romance.
Speaker 6: If it's not apparent.
Speaker 3: I feel like you're making a lot of logic leaps and excuses for this pedophile character.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And also I have to say, this isn't my first vampire true blood true Blood Buffy. Yeah, so it's like they didn't have any pedophile like characters.
Speaker 7: Yeah, don't remember.
Speaker 2: I was just going to justify it, and I immediately take back my justification. But this is what I was going to say. It's written four teenage girls, and you want the people in the reading it to relate to the story. But I guess we don't want teenage girls relating to dating three hundred year old men.
Speaker 1: No. I guess I wouldn't want that. My daughter wouldn't be allowed to read this book.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the message it sends to a teenager I don't like. I mean, first of all, it's anti Christian.
Speaker 4: I'm just kidding.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good though it is.
Speaker 3: But you know, he like she's very helpless. She literally falls down all the time, and he used to keep swooping in and saving her. And he's like really powerful and really strong, and he keeps saying that he could like kill her or crush her and he wouldn't mean to. It's like the lesson is that if you take out the fact that he's a vampire, he's basically just like an old man who's like, I can't roll myself around, so I love you, but I might hurt you and I'm dangerous for you. And then he's portrayed is like this coveted sex object.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he also like follows her around waiting for her to get into trouble.
Speaker 4: Essentially, he follows her around all day at school.
Speaker 6: He also watches her sleep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or is that just a movie in her room?
Speaker 3: That is like a cat file? One on one?
Speaker 1: I just feel badhidn't it? I also feel bad because it's like she's never dated anyone, She's never been interested in anyone. This is her first leve. Come on, this is a bad match for you.
Speaker 7: You're like, bad match.
Speaker 1: You gotta okay, Great, you found out you could be attracted to someone. Maybe look for his qualities and someone else, you know, that's what maybe one those similar qualities.
Speaker 7: It's not a vampire.
Speaker 2: It's very rare to find somebody who will watch you sleep without your permission.
Speaker 1: I mean, I wouldn't look for that quality. That would be the quality I would say, don't look for that quality. But maybe, oh, he's really tries to save my life.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 6: He saves her from that rape, that gay.
Speaker 1: That was boring to me. Her around. I was like, what's going on? Who are these guys? Are they vampires? They're not. They're just what.
Speaker 3: They're just men that are so attracted to her. They just can't help themselves, Like what losty of men?
Speaker 1: Where is she?
Speaker 2: Yeah, she wanted to go to that bookstore, which is a place where she really likes to be alone, and so she abandoned her friends who were dressing shopping for dresses for the spring dance.
Speaker 4: Which she's too mature. She's too mature for the dance. She turned down.
Speaker 5: Lots of people asked her for the dance, and she turned them all down, which sounds to me like the fantasy writings of a rejected of an adult who had.
Speaker 4: A very hard time.
Speaker 1: Because I know who played her in the movie, it did help me in imagining her as like Aid, someone who would be attractive and desirable, because as she's described in the book, I don't believe it. I don't think it mattress Kristen Stewart. But I'm like, but I'm glad they changed it to Christen Stewart because I'm more like, oh, yeah, she's kind of like cool in a my way manic.
Speaker 4: Pixie dream girl.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree. I get why she's attractive when you see Kristen Stewart playing the role, even in the movie, I don't really get why he is super attractive.
Speaker 4: Also, do you guys notice that.
Speaker 3: His character is constantly laughing in the book, He's like chuckling like a creepy dolphin, like a creepy all the time. Every single page is like Edward chuckled. How creepy would that be?
Speaker 2: I think it's less on the cackle end of the chuckle spectrum and more on the muted giggle end.
Speaker 6: Is how I imagine it.
Speaker 2: You know, when you really like somebody and they do something kind of endearing and you kind of like tilt your head down a little bit and you're like, that.
Speaker 4: Seems that seemed real condescending.
Speaker 3: It's very creepy.
Speaker 1: I don't like that. Then it's raining and she gets a truck. For some reason, there's like she hates things that are cold.
Speaker 5: And wet at this new school, she's like, I've read all the books before, and I've done all the science that they've done before.
Speaker 4: For so reason, she's some fucking advanced.
Speaker 6: Genius in a different class.
Speaker 1: Tha. Oh.
Speaker 2: At first in school she thinks that Edward hates her, but it's it is that he can't control himself around her. And then he makes a real effort and they become biology partners.
Speaker 7: Yes, yeah, that's kind of hot.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then he'll he'll look into the microscope and he'll be like, it's this bacteria, and she's like, I'd like to check it, because she's a smart, independent woman. And then she checks it and she's like, yeah, you're right, it is that bacteria. And then he says for the next one, it's this bacteria. Do you want to check it? And she says nah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: She learns that trust him she doesn't, which is nice. So independent anymore.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's nice to be like I don't have to think that's nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's nice. Just take let your mind take a break, Bella for the rest of your life.
Speaker 5: Then she's in the parking lot. It's icy out some regular fucking, dumb, fucking kid who's not even three hundred years old, loses the control of his car on the ice. It's spinning and spinning and coming right at her a little skull.
Speaker 4: Then something happens.
Speaker 5: She's okay, there's a big accident, but she got pushed out of the way.
Speaker 4: How is that possible?
Speaker 5: Edward was Edward the vampire was so far away from her at the time.
Speaker 4: He must be Superman.
Speaker 3: He swoops in and stops the van, and she's like, sometime's up.
Speaker 4: Yeah. She watches him stop a van with his arms.
Speaker 2: And she's now pinned to the ground.
Speaker 1: Under the fact that she thought it was supernatural makes me think that she's stupid, because it's like there's probably other shock or something. I mean, you can't remember. It's kind of malleable like.
Speaker 5: But she literally thought he was like or I don't. Her guess was that he was a Superman type character.
Speaker 7: H yeah. So I was like, okay, so you figured it out right away, yep.
Speaker 3: So that leads to love basically, which is just like a Stockholm syndrome type thing.
Speaker 4: Someone saved your life and you fall in love with him.
Speaker 1: Stock comes in is when they like kidnap you.
Speaker 4: I said, Stockholm type thing.
Speaker 1: Okay, those are very different.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good point, thank you, JOHNA not.
Speaker 1: I think she was saying a good point to me. So she likes him. And then there's back and forth of her trying to do you like me? Little conversations.
Speaker 4: It's very weird.
Speaker 5: And how did you know those men were going to rape me when I walked into a bad neighborhood?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then they go and have this is the turning point for me when they actually after he saves her from.
Speaker 6: The turning point into boring.
Speaker 1: Oh to boring for me? Yes, when they had the really long conversation over dinner.
Speaker 6: Is that where he tells her about his power.
Speaker 1: He tells her about everything, and I'm like, okay, mystery is gone in public, he told her, And it's like, now we're just not going to struggle with this bell You're just accepting it. This isn't a struggle for you. Okay, I'm out.
Speaker 2: I don't know if this is how it happens in the book because I didn't get to this part. But in the movie, when he's telling her that he can read everyone's mind but hers, he looks at individual people and says what they're thinking about at that moment and he goes money sex, money, sex sex money cats.
Speaker 7: That's fun.
Speaker 4: They don't go to joke in that was not in the book.
Speaker 1: That was not in the book. Also, that's the same thing that happens in True bloods. I'm pretty sure True Blood was first real big copy. I would say, I can't.
Speaker 3: Remember, all right, there's no all right, great, I was gonna say, there's no way to know, but.
Speaker 1: There's easy way.
Speaker 6: I'll say that.
Speaker 2: I really, I mean, obviously, I like a lot of things about this because I love vampire romances and I also love why a literature that's my genre. But I really like that they turn all of the things we know about vampires on their head a little bit. And you know, some when I was watching the movie last night, someone was complaining, They're like, this is this is not what vampires do, and it's like, vampires aren't real. They can do whatever, and we.
Speaker 6: Have established rules.
Speaker 2: But here it's like, yeah, they don't go in the sun because it glistens, it makes their son out.
Speaker 1: There's the one different things that they have about that's the true true life with two thousand and one. This was two thousand and seven, so direct copy a big time.
Speaker 5: She stole a big time and instead of I think that that was a bit of a cop out.
Speaker 2: Who could read minds? In True Blood?
Speaker 1: Yes, no, she the vampires, but she couldn't read hers and that's why they fall. It was later revealed she was like a fairy or some shit that was gone by.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Chookie Stackhouse.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, so this is a pretty direct copy.
Speaker 2: I think it's I think in a lot of vampire lore. I think this is going back hundreds of years.
Speaker 3: This is vampire law argument that it is traditionally I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I'm saying that Stephanie Meyer did a wonderful job of taking some tropes of vampirism but also turning others on their head. Okay, I'm defending it.
Speaker 5: She had to turn it on her head or she couldn't have the story because he has to go out in the sun to go to school.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so she had to turn that on.
Speaker 1: It could have been Alaska and it only goes to school when it's all dark out.
Speaker 4: But she didn't think of that, did she.
Speaker 2: Well, they had just moved from Alaska. They just moved from Alaska.
Speaker 4: They had just moved from No.
Speaker 1: Wow, I guess that's the video prequel we'll get to read about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe in one of the other books. They're in Alaska.
Speaker 1: There are four books. I was also surprised. I went and read though Wikipedia after the books that I was like, there are four books? It gets crazy? Have you read them all.
Speaker 2: In a week? I read all of that, and then I waited so hard for those movies to come out. Every time the movies are not as good as really well, that Cat's Joke was good, but the pacing is very, very slow, and at least the first movie I can't remember.
Speaker 1: Because then after this, okay, so they love each other for some reason. It's stupid. It made me angry that this was happening, and then like they didn't even fuck. It should have been a lost situation lost.
Speaker 3: He's obsessed with learning more about her, so like there's I guess that's a good dedicated to him, like talking about so boring, so boring.
Speaker 5: Her life is boring, where it's like, can we hear about his fucking vampire life him?
Speaker 3: Nobody cares about your dumb life.
Speaker 1: His life. Her life is so boring, and she'd like nothing interesting happened to her in her life even the fact.
Speaker 7: That she moved was boring. She's really boring.
Speaker 2: In the book, Listen, if you are a young girl in some random town in the middle of nowhere, Pennsylvania or other states in the United States, Phoenix is in Pennsylvania, right.
Speaker 6: And you moved somewhere.
Speaker 3: Well, I was, but I grew up.
Speaker 2: As me in my dumb little hometown. And you see that any boring little person can become amazing because some nice vampire can fall in love with it.
Speaker 6: But you sitting on her, her boring little life.
Speaker 2: That she's getting along and she's independent, she moves to forks on her own accord. Listen, Beliswan okay.
Speaker 1: Okay, Beliswan is boring, and the only way she can become unboring is to if a vampire date someone really exciting. I think that's a bad message. I think I don't think that's what it is.
Speaker 2: I think she's interesting on her own accord, and then she finds this.
Speaker 1: I think that it's cool that she's bad at sports and it's still popular.
Speaker 6: I see that's unique.
Speaker 1: I thought that was unique, and I appreciated that.
Speaker 5: I guess now, I guess I sort of needed her to have some extracurricular. If she had some extracurricular I bet she wouldn't be falling in love with reading.
Speaker 4: She loves reading.
Speaker 3: Her extracurricular is like calling her dad Charlie instead of Dad. Even seems like the time, Yeah, he seemed really nice. He seemed nice.
Speaker 7: Stop cooking for her.
Speaker 2: He was gonna have a heart attack because he just has bacon and eggs.
Speaker 5: I think it's weird that she cooked dinner for a den and then cleaned it up.
Speaker 3: Then basically we get to the end of the book that nothing happens. It's like, Okay, she's oh, there's the baseball games playing, so she goes and watches Vampire Baseball, which you're like, oh, I wonder what vampire Baseball is going to be.
Speaker 4: Guess what, it's just fucking baseball.
Speaker 1: I bet that's better in the movie, am I right?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: In the well, I don't. I don't know how it happens in the book, but in the movie it's like, oh, there's a thunderstorm coming, so we can go play baseball because they when they crack the ball on the bat, it makes a big booming thunder sound. And then you know, we have Alice pitching and then Edward, you know, some other guy hits and it goes so deep into the woods, and then Edward goes because he's really really fast, and then he catches the ball and he throws it home. And then Bella is being the ump and she's like like Rosalie, Oh, Rosalie is the one who had it.
Speaker 4: You're out.
Speaker 2: And Rosalie kind of hates her and she looks at her like you made that call so that Edward would win.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it would be unfair for her to be I would say in this situation.
Speaker 3: That's a change from the.
Speaker 5: Fact that these are vampires with like extreme physical abilities and they pick fucking baseballs and mirror. It's like make up your own fucking predator preise sports.
Speaker 3: Sport for actually, like it's like chubby older men playing it requires so little athleticism.
Speaker 1: Also, like you can put you can give yourself more rules.
Speaker 5: But the problem with the baseball game is that Bella's human pheromones are now out in the woods and another group of vampires smells it.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, we heard they were coming, and it was like, I don't know that was briefly they were going to come.
Speaker 3: They are going to come, Bella By the way, I forgot. Another way that she is so freaking attractive is that she smells so good to all vampires, especially dad word. But like other vampires, she are just like I'd really love to eat her.
Speaker 1: I bet she uses like Tom's deodorant or something like something that doesn't work.
Speaker 3: So she's like probably a stinky girl.
Speaker 4: Yeah, everyone else is deodorant asking the.
Speaker 1: I'm like, fucking she's like lemon juice or some shit.
Speaker 4: I tried that crystal deodor at once. Does not work. Now that was a waste of money.
Speaker 1: All right, So there she is, she's smelling, and then one of them comes in. He is like a tracker. I didn't remember. Then we learned there, like learned about their different groups vampire abilities.
Speaker 5: Right, yes, this family, so Edward, our hero's family is their vampire family only drinks the blood of animals.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, which is.
Speaker 4: Hard, but they can do it. So this group that this new group of vampires that came, that was nice. They drain humans.
Speaker 1: So I don't know why they're even talking them or be nice.
Speaker 2: I don't know why Bella didn't find that out in her Internet research. She did, which is how she found out that Edward and his family were vampires, like she should have been expecting that there were human sucking ones around.
Speaker 4: She made as I guess, mellacies what she wants to see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 4: The lead vampire of Edward's family is a surgeon.
Speaker 3: The orbs in the hospital, couldn't they treat themselves to like some human blood once a?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Also like that so hard? That is so hard for the.
Speaker 4: Surgeon, human blood all over. Don't you just like give it a little lick once in a while.
Speaker 1: Right, I can't believe it. I mean, I can't believe it.
Speaker 2: The angel used to go to the hospital and he would get bags and he would have that human blood and that was okay. But some people can't control themselves. So once you get the like towards the end of the book, once you get the taste, you don't know if you'll ever be able to stop. So like when I broke being a vegetarian, I was like, maybe I'll just do it the one time, and I went to a Brazilian steakhouse and I had literally all the meat I could possibly imagine, and I've never been a vegetarian again.
Speaker 1: Interesting, same with Johanna and a hot dog.
Speaker 4: Yeah for me.
Speaker 3: For me, it was a hot dog. That was how I wanted to dip my toe back into meat world after seven years.
Speaker 2: It was pretty good. I haven't read who it was a bag of pepperoni. That's funny, poor melt.
Speaker 1: Yeah all right, Well, so the basic thing is James, you said, that's just a bad vampire and drinks a body. He's like trackers, which is a power because he likes to. I don't know why that's a power, but I guess it is. For the story.
Speaker 5: You can follow people, you can follow people, so you just try running Bella.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he says he's not going to track her, but he's totally going to her, and they all realize it and they're like, fuck, we got to get to me.
Speaker 4: Sorry to cut you off.
Speaker 5: It is the exciting part of the book because we're finally doing something vampires do instead of just fucking going to school and talk to each.
Speaker 7: Other, I guess.
Speaker 1: But then they're just like moving and hiding. That was pretty boring to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just like very boring hanging in a hotel for the whole end of the book.
Speaker 2: Did they play up that Jasper has problems with human blood.
Speaker 3: That he lost Edward's brother.
Speaker 7: I don't remember.
Speaker 3: I think, yes, he's not He's not like that old of a vampire.
Speaker 4: So he's still working through his attachment.
Speaker 2: Okay, I remember the first time I read that, and it might have just been in other books. I felt very affected by the Jasper problem, but this time, breezing through the pages and watching the movie, I didn't feel it as much because he is one of the He and h Ashley Green what's her name is the one who can see the future.
Speaker 6: One of the vampires his sister.
Speaker 2: Well, they're the two who are staving Bella and like running her around because she can block out.
Speaker 1: But like the only stage she was like what glass or something, and that was like, okay, not that helpful. I didn't feel.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, so Alice can see the future, Alice, that's what her name.
Speaker 6: Wanted the vampire.
Speaker 5: So two of Edward's family vampires take Bella to this hotel to hide from the bad vampires. Oh, he could also hear. So she was like, let's tell him we're going to Phoenix. He won't believe us, and we'll actually go to Phoenix.
Speaker 1: Oh that was so stupid. Wow, that's a dumb plan.
Speaker 7: But he's a great plan, Bella.
Speaker 3: It does seem like they could just put her on an airplane to anywhere and he wouldn't be able to track her after.
Speaker 1: That, right, I mean yeah, just like I was unclear on the tracking abilities also, so it.
Speaker 4: Was pretty easy.
Speaker 2: But maybe they could like really track her to the airport quickly and then he would know and then he.
Speaker 7: Just don't they need to kill him.
Speaker 1: I was like, just keep her one place and then he's gonna come and then kill him.
Speaker 2: But they don't want to kill him because they don't like to harm anyone, even other even.
Speaker 1: Vampire to it, as is evidenced by the fact that they eventually killed him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so he basically makes it to Phoenix. He ends up calling Bella this is so funny, into believing that he has her mom hostage. He calls her and he's like, Bella, it's Bella's mom's voice on the phone. She's like Bella, Bella, And then the tracker, James gets on.
Speaker 4: He's like, I have your mother.
Speaker 3: Don't tell the vampires meet me in your old dance studio and she's like wow.
Speaker 1: She's like okay, wait, she doesn't dance.
Speaker 3: She doesn't dance, but apparently she did, because every little girl dances. So she hangs up and she's like, that monster is right. All these powerful vampires can't help me. I need to somehow get away from them and meet the person that wants to kill me in this dance.
Speaker 1: Because it made me. He'll kill me and not my mom. Your mom sucks. Let her die? Yeah, so you know, while we get she gets to the studio and finds out that he was playing his mom. Her mom's voiced off of tapes.
Speaker 3: Yes and videos.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And she also the fact that she's able to like trick and escape from Edward's brothers and sister who were protecting her, and they can read her mind and see the future, but she escaped.
Speaker 2: No, no one can read her mind.
Speaker 4: She blocks their powers. They can see the future.
Speaker 3: Just do Stephanie Meyer here instead of Sabrina.
Speaker 4: She wants to defend every.
Speaker 1: Little I just like also just to fall for that stupid It was just the dumbest reveal of a trick. I thought stupid. So then I didn't care about the mom, so it had no stakes for me.
Speaker 3: Didn't doesn't matter.
Speaker 6: I guess that's why they keep peppering the mom through the book.
Speaker 2: Is that you are supposed to care about her, but you don't know, you don't. That is a failure of this one tiny little failure.
Speaker 3: Easily been the dad. Yeah, we meet the dad. I like the dad. I think she's shitty to the dad, she's a real asshole teen to him, he's a good guy. She does cook for him, she doesn't cook for but it's very disrespectful to call him Charlie.
Speaker 4: There's no reason to do.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just because your mom left him and made you come with him, it doesn't make him shitty.
Speaker 4: No again, it makes your mom die.
Speaker 3: So now we're supposed to be like, oh sad, the mom is gonna die. Bella and this James get into the dance studio, and then the most trite cliche thing in the world happens, which is the villain takes too long savoring the fact.
Speaker 4: That he's about to kill someone.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and he.
Speaker 3: Wastes his time and gets interrupted by none other than.
Speaker 2: Edward.
Speaker 1: Wow, we hadn't seen him for a while too, Yes.
Speaker 4: Edward who can read minds? Where the was?
Speaker 3: But he's fricking there just in the nick of time, saves her, saves her, But she gets one little, little bite on her finger or something.
Speaker 2: He gets venim he does, I don't know why. I'm so defends.
Speaker 3: The finger or the hand.
Speaker 1: What. Oh, He's got to suck the blood out, and that's really hard because he wants he might want.
Speaker 2: To keep it going, and he does want to keep going, but he imagined.
Speaker 1: Just young to me because I'm like, why can't this be he needs to like eat her and you might want to keep going, but like he has to stop himself then be way.
Speaker 3: Hotter for me if he wanted the blood more of it, just a straight exactly I did.
Speaker 2: What I will say is I think what you want is one of the later books in this series.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I shouldn't skip ahead.
Speaker 2: Or just that sounds pretty or the Spike and Buffy parts of Buffy.
Speaker 1: Oh, I've watched all those.
Speaker 2: I know because when I went into the Hulu I was like looking for the Spike and Buffy episodes and I was like, why are these particular episodes all watched? And roommate Chris said Sarah did that. Sarah also wanted to watch only the Spike and Buffy parts. You two are insane, oh, sir.
Speaker 1: I remember her cold just Bell being so angry at me when I told her I did that.
Speaker 7: She's really anti Spike.
Speaker 2: Oh I love Spike, but whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but anyways, that happened, and then oh, to be together, she's gonna have to be a vampire.
Speaker 7: And she's like super into it, and he's like, I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure. I think I want to let you age until you're freaking ninety years old and I'm still seventeen. Yeah, and then you'll just die and that'll be a good, positive relationship.
Speaker 5: It's Oh, you're the only one I've ever loved and you're my only chance of happiness.
Speaker 4: I'm not going to make you a vampire for some fucking reason.
Speaker 2: Okay. And this is what I think is a redeeming quality of Edward. And I'm gonna say this. I know that he is controlling and he is saving her a lot, and yes, I do think that she should be an independent woman, but I do think that they established that in some degrees, and he is just genuinely looking out for her interests. Okay, he doesn't want to doom her to being a vampire for eternity when she could just.
Speaker 3: Stay away from my daughter.
Speaker 2: That's I agree with that.
Speaker 1: But he should stop talking to hers, Like when you break up with someone and you're keeping like are you okay? Hey, I'm just thinking about you, babe. You it's like someone else.
Speaker 2: They love each other. And also, again from the vampire perspective, if he's ever going to find love, it's probably going to have to be somebody that he turns into a vampire, like that is how it happens. Why can't you really find But he has to be sure that that's what she wants and that it's not just her in the.
Speaker 6: Puppy love stage.
Speaker 7: Vampire.
Speaker 6: Well, I don't know, because I want.
Speaker 4: It in your vampires out there.
Speaker 2: Well, usually the way that you fall in love is like you've made somebody a vampire. That's how you're bonded for life.
Speaker 5: Oh, but it's just that it's interesting that he trusts her, He trusts her judgment throughout the book to fall in love with him and all that. But here we do not trust. She's just an immature seventeen.
Speaker 1: Years who wants to be She's immature the whole time.
Speaker 3: Really, you should have when you think about stop, she should have stopped when you think about what it would happen if she becomes a empire. It's actually really sad. She gets frozen at seventeen forever. While her like, how do you explain that to your parents? They just like grow old and die. You can never have a child.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you guys just to read the other book.
Speaker 7: Oh I read the Wikipedia and I wanted to find out about that. It was confusing.
Speaker 5: In True Blood, when the younger woman realizes she can't have a child, she was very sad.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Wait who that like red haired teen.
Speaker 2: That they Oh yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Mean she's dating a human.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The human's mom is like, can.
Speaker 2: You even have kids?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, blood?
Speaker 3: I forgot they cried blood that.
Speaker 2: Yeahny Alexander Scarscard, why weren't you in this book?
Speaker 3: You could have, in your mind played any of the characters.
Speaker 2: In the movie. I wanted him to be James, except I wouldn't want him to die. I'd want him to be in all of the movies. Also, curiously, we've not mentioned Jacob. I know.
Speaker 3: I was just thinking that, is am I right?
Speaker 2: That When this book came out, it was like, are your team Edward or Team Jacob? Or do that happen?
Speaker 6: He's much more prominent in the other books.
Speaker 1: I think in the second book, right, there's like a love triangle. Yeah, it happens, but this one it's like he's boring and does nothing.
Speaker 2: He just they just introduced Okay. I was like, how could anyone be team Jacob? You could be anti Edward, but I couldn't possibly imagine being team Jacob in this book.
Speaker 3: I think anything.
Speaker 4: You could be team Dad, you could be Tea.
Speaker 7: Yeah, team independent Mike.
Speaker 3: There was Tyler, Tyler, anyone other than Jacob, but Mike.
Speaker 2: You know, her friend got to be sloppy seconds choice for Mike, which was nice. So he's not that good of a guy either. A cute, little, wonderful, smart woman asking him to the dance and he's like, I have to think about it. And then he's like, hey, Bella, do you love me?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Just a lot of team drama. So I then saw the book end. It's just that she is like, I want to be a vampire and he's like, we'll see.
Speaker 1: And they haven't even kissed her.
Speaker 2: He kisses her neck because she's like, I want this forever, and he was like is this good enough for wait? I want this forever? And he's like are you sure? Are you ready now? And she said yes, and then she tilts her head back and she exposes her neck to him, and then he brings his mouth to her neck, and it's like, is he gonna bite her? No, he's just gonna kiss her with her ice cold lips on that actually ice cold.
Speaker 4: I forgot about that.
Speaker 2: I like disgusted.
Speaker 3: Yeah, cold hands on you all the time.
Speaker 4: Even though he's ice cold.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that would be the biggest killer for me. Right, person attracted dad word for sure. But except for the cold like cold hands, cold body, cold.
Speaker 1: Breathe, I love it. I'm a cold person. I don't want cold. Do you guys want to hear some good ready?
Speaker 4: I would love to.
Speaker 1: Okay. This is from Shannon aka Draft Days. She says, oh my, this book to me is like chocolate, a delicious, sinful, addictive indulgence which you convince yourself has beneficial qualities, saying calcium keeps me quiet at that time of month. In order to justify your addiction by beneficial qualities, I mean that it's reading, and since one is reading bad.
Speaker 3: Well, it's like there are calories.
Speaker 1: And then there are like yeah, I know. The only reason Meyer gets away with it as well as she does is because Twilight doesn't try to be anything it's not, and it has such conviction. Only Meyer could get away with giving our narrator name like Isabella Swan. I guess it's true.
Speaker 2: Maybe this person didn't like the Swan man growing up.
Speaker 1: And then she basically goes over. Another thing I loved was all the vampire miths Meyer scrapped. Here. This is for you, Sabrina. These vampires aren't burnt to ash by sunlight. Their marble skin glitters as sunlight is broken into miniscal shards like diamonds, hence why they're living in forks. But the sun hardly ever shines. They're not hurt by crucifixes or steaks through the heart. They do not sleep at all, nor do they eat human food. They drive fast.
Speaker 6: Wait those are those are typicals?
Speaker 1: Yeah? They drive fast cars, really really fast, and they can fall in love.
Speaker 4: This person really understood the book.
Speaker 2: I don't think that person understood how to write a review very well. It was like she dispels all these things.
Speaker 4: They drive cars.
Speaker 2: It's not the classic vampire lore that vampires can't drive cars fast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is Zoe.
Speaker 7: She's five stars.
Speaker 1: She says, No, it's not the best written book, but it is incredibly entertaining to read, and it has so many wonderful memories attached to it. I probably won't reread the rest of the series anytime in the future, but I hope too someday.
Speaker 2: Okay, so it feels like she and I are kind of on the same page.
Speaker 3: She definitely doesn't understand the time continue on them.
Speaker 1: No, No, she definitely doesn't. This person says, I'd love to write a vampire novel series one day, just once. I'd like to see the second male league get the girl. Oh, she says Jacob. Jacob, Jacob, how I adore you? See?
Speaker 6: You can't think that.
Speaker 4: This is some a liar who has read more than book one.
Speaker 6: Yeah, definitely, that's a liar who's just watched the movie.
Speaker 4: You know what, let's reply to this one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you reply, reply with the podcast.
Speaker 1: I want to end with this review, which is confusing because the name says v Parental Guidance Alert. A Court of Wings in Ruin is a new adult erotica, but Goodreads editors won't tell you.
Speaker 7: That's the name of the person giving this review.
Speaker 1: I'm tired of people ripping this book to pieces and secretly devouring it.
Speaker 7: I don't believe you for a second. He didn't enjoy it.
Speaker 1: And then she says, I don't want a guy watching me in my sleep in real life. That's creepy. Bella could have gotten I've killed multiple times if it hadn't been for edward stalker tendencies. Again in real life, I don't want to date a stalker in a fictional realm, some things are necessary to keep a woman a vampire loves alive.
Speaker 7: And the reader's turning the pages.
Speaker 1: And if Stephanie Byer is such a bad writer, by all means, go and write a better book.
Speaker 7: Good luck. And with that, let's get any agents pushing you for your book.
Speaker 2: Wow, that was a very vindictive wow, which I didn't based on the name. I thought the name whoever gave that review was going to say this is.
Speaker 5: Smut, yeah, anti Christians smut, but instead she really called me out.
Speaker 4: Ask a question, is the book fifty Shades of Gray a Twilight fan?
Speaker 1: Yes? It is? It is?
Speaker 2: Really Yeah what.
Speaker 1: Maybe I thought about it constantly while reading this because it makes it makes so much sense. It's basically like the vampire pain is just like that's b ds.
Speaker 2: Wait, we're using the word fan fiction liberal liberally.
Speaker 1: Start stand and it was somebody was like, I'm going to do this same same exact story, but I'm going to put it instead of vampires, I'm putting b DSAM in it.
Speaker 7: And then people liked it and the fan fiction realm, and then she turned it into a.
Speaker 1: Book what.
Speaker 6: Not that I need to read that I've never read.
Speaker 1: That it's different because there she's older, like they make it.
Speaker 2: That does make it better.
Speaker 4: Edwards, I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's a control scene seen.
Speaker 4: The first movie because Sarah made I didn't Valentine's.
Speaker 6: I did a lot of people do that on Valentine's State. It's actually it.
Speaker 7: Comes out everyone.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think they're over now, but I should watch the other ones now.
Speaker 7: I want to watch.
Speaker 1: I mean, that was another book I didn't quite finish because it got bored to me after the sex.
Speaker 4: I don't understand how it's not abuse it is.
Speaker 1: That's what it's kind of like b d s M. It's not BDSAM is an abuse, no, but I mean the controlling ass controlling the other person is just an abusive thing to do. But that's kind of like where they're playing with it's like and it's confusing because in the same way that like, why is he interested in her because he's super hot and then are all these hot people working there.
Speaker 7: But he's like, I like the mousey, shy one.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm not mousy or shy, but I really I just could be. I could be, And I really relate to the right guy. I relate to being, you know, just bookish and just unapproachably beautiful. And I just feel like Belle and I have a lot in common. That sucks.
Speaker 4: I'm glad that you don't have that much in common with her.
Speaker 2: I like you the way you are. Thank you, I said, I do, I know, and I'm I say that I disagree. I'm unapproachably beautiful.
Speaker 6: Oh that's what I'm wearing.
Speaker 2: A shirt that says pizza on it and pizza and pastasis.
Speaker 3: Funny if it just had pizza, but it says pizza and passa nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 7: I'm very hungry looking at on the back.
Speaker 6: It's as legalized Marnera.
Speaker 4: We have fun here on the podcast.
Speaker 1: Good sure, goodbye, because we're not going to read any of the other books. Oh my god, Oh you want to tell us what happens.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll tell you what I remember that happens, which is I have a very bad memory, but I remember the good.
Speaker 3: Stuffy can't be brought to read the book.
Speaker 2: So at some point, this other family comes into the picture and they are trying to I could be making a lot of this up. They're trying to take bell away because she has this power where she like blocks out the mind, so they want to get rid of her. Mostly I remember the romances. So we have Jacob and we have the love triangle with him, and he's like really really drawn to her, and she's really drawn to him too, but it always feels like in some way she's friend zoning him.
Speaker 4: And yeah, werewolf.
Speaker 2: He is a werewolf, and I think he discovers his powers and is changing a little bit more in the next books. And the vampires and were wolves, as you can imagine, don't get along all that well. It's true blood, so they don't get along all that well. But they're both really protective of Bella. And at some point they have to go live in like a tree somewhere so that they can be away. And then there's a lot of snow at one point, and.
Speaker 6: They really, so I'm getting somewhere. So we eventually found out that it is Edward and Bella.
Speaker 2: Edward and Bella are the couple that are going to be together, and we're all like a little sad for Jacob, but he we've we've banded together at this point for some reason, Jacob and Edward and we're friends now. And Edward and Bella have sex, and I think that she's not a vampire yet, I think. So they have sex and she becomes pregnant, which is like, what is going to happen?
Speaker 4: And she gets pressed, he gets pregnant, stupid.
Speaker 2: But then she's going to give birth to someone who's half vampire and half human, and so I think the birth is maybe going to kill her. So as soon as she delivers, they have to he has to bite her and make her become a vampire.
Speaker 1: I think this is what that's their way.
Speaker 2: That's such a typical woman pregnant, a vampire and she has this kid who's half human half vampire, and.
Speaker 3: Then, oh my nineteen, at this point, not one article of clothing on like your socks.
Speaker 2: When he had sex, she becomes a vampire. They have this beautiful child, and then Jacob this half vampire child, which I hope that we get a serious about at some point. Jacob, he's a werewolf in the way that you find your soulmate, is you imprint on somebody. He imprints on their child. Oh so he imprints on the child, so when she comes of age they will be together.
Speaker 1: Ew. That's so gross.
Speaker 3: That's disgusting.
Speaker 2: That's what happens, Stephanie.
Speaker 1: But there's but there's more though, because isn't there some like they want to kill the baby. There's some like vampire group that wants to kill the baby or something the same Wikipedia, and they have to like go to vampire course.
Speaker 2: Oh maybe that's why the snow happens. And there's that family that's trying to kill Bella and the baby. And and El Fanning is an or Dakota Fanning.
Speaker 6: Is it a vamp?
Speaker 4: Is it is vampire inherited into the baby? Yes, so it's a vampire.
Speaker 6: And again this also kind of happened on Buffy.
Speaker 2: Well really more on Angel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, does he I heard something about him breaking her pelvis when they have sex.
Speaker 2: I believe that that happens.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that's so fun because he's so strong and he can't control himself.
Speaker 3: Yep, it's telling.
Speaker 1: That's so, it doesn't it should only be enjoyable to the man. It doesn't matter. It doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: If they were thinking at all, she should have been on top because then she can control the.
Speaker 7: Good point.
Speaker 4: So not only does she get pregnant, pelvis breaks. Yeah, that there's no way that baby is born.
Speaker 6: No, that baby is but.
Speaker 4: Out through a broken pelvis.
Speaker 7: I can't imagine being pregnant with a vampire baby.
Speaker 3: No, No, it sounds so horrible.
Speaker 6: I don't, okay, imagine it.
Speaker 4: Did the baby sucker blood or get food from the umbilical core?
Speaker 1: Question? My question?
Speaker 2: When the baby grows really quickly, that's something that happens. Very good plot device, so that we have like a child instead of a baby.
Speaker 3: I I I'm like disappointed. This is not what I expected.
Speaker 4: I wanted more romance.
Speaker 2: Straight.
Speaker 6: If I had a better memory, I think I could give you more.
Speaker 4: But I read this ten years not your fault is what's your name?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: Yeas suburban.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and then she's like, well the cast roles burned and it was made of blood.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I've talked a lot of shit on the book, but I got to say, it was really helpful. I mean the community is like, my commute is the worst my life. It's slow, and it's you know, very stop go. I have no control over it. And when I listened to Twilight on it, it took me to another It took me to Forks, Washington, and I could really get through and it was like, Wow, it's my stop already.
Speaker 4: So I got to give it. What if I give it five books, No, that's way too many. Let me give it four books out of five books because it helped me commute.
Speaker 2: Well, I think I have shown my hand a little bit that I liked the book the first time I read it, and I actually just remembered that when I was reading one of them, I had to drive somewhere and I it on audible because I couldn't not finish the book and I had to go somewhere that was like a three hour drive away.
Speaker 6: I don't think it's worth five because there's no sex in this book.
Speaker 4: So four, right, interesting, that's the thing that took it down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was it really did take it down for me.
Speaker 1: No sex and the fact that I think this book was less problematic than some of the other books we've read.
Speaker 2: It was far less probably and maybe that is painting a weird picture in my mind of what relationships should be.
Speaker 1: But I would give I guess I'd give it a three out of five. I don't know why.
Speaker 2: You don't have to know what well.
Speaker 4: Like I said, I hated the book, but I loved reading it.
Speaker 7: Four out of five. Yeah, that seems to be the most popular book.
Speaker 3: It was by far compared to the other books. This was a gem in the field of literature. It's a very bad book.
Speaker 2: Do you guys ever.
Speaker 4: Wonder if we're hurting our brains only reading bad books.
Speaker 1: I don't think we have said that to me. They've been like, you're doing this, you we're reading good books between and I was like, no, no, I am.
Speaker 3: I am reading good books, and I'm very worried about I read.
Speaker 6: Some good books in between. But my job is literally just reading all day every day. So I'm reading other stuff in between.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Watching Great British Bake Off right now.
Speaker 4: So I've been doing Drunk History. I love this show.
Speaker 1: I've been reading.
Speaker 2: Join us next week when we read The Shack by Paul Young. William I think his first name is William.
Speaker 5: If you have any suggestions feel free to email us at what at mean book Clubs at gmail dot com.
Speaker 4: We're going to check and see if we.
Speaker 3: Can get that mean book Clubs
Speaker 1: To zero dot com right, Thanks guys, by