Speaker 1: Hello everybody, ladies, gentlemen, brothers, sisters, comrades, friends. We're back again with another very special episode of History Impossible, another conversation, this time with the host, the pseudonymous host. I should say that's a first for me here, as I say in this conversation, but with the pseudonymous host of the Crackpot History podcast. This is actually Crackpot Histories, if I guess I can call him that first interview that he has done since starting his podcast earlier on in twenty twenty five. We cover a lot of ground. We cover some potentially controversial ground where we talk about his critiques of Darryl Cooper's first series for the Martyr Made podcast, Fear and Loathing in the New Jerusalem. We also discuss his current project working on a critique of Scott Horton's book Provoked, in which Horton tries to make the case that NATO expansion and just generally speaking, Western influence is what caused or provoked the Russi Ukrainian War. So we cover a lot of ground in this. We also talk about the deeper issues at play involving being a history content creator, or really any kind of content creator that purports to be giving accurate information, and how important it is to do that, make it accurate, make it transparent, and all that good stuff. Quick note, we actually recorded this conversation back in January of twenty twenty six, so any references to world events at that point that might seem a little dated or feel a little jarring, that explains it. So that's what you have in store for you today. I want to thank everybody for listening and for supporting the show, like my very kind and generous supporters of History Impossible at the executive producer level, John Andre Sather and Mike Mayleban, who have been with me four years now, and I cannot tell you enough how much I appreciate them. And I encourage all of you, who you know have a couple bucks to throw my way every month, to please do so. If you feel so inclined, If you like what I'm doing and you want to support it, head over to Patreon dot com, slash History Impossible or just History impossible dot com and become a paid subscriber today. I hope you enjoy this conversation that I had with Crackpot History as much as I enjoyed having it with him, So please sit back and relax and let's get into some impossible history.
Speaker 2: Well, let me to tell you what you would have seen and heard.
Speaker 3: I will not be pleasant listening if you were at lunch, or if you have no appetite.
Speaker 4: Knowledge A good time to switch author radio.
Speaker 3: An ancestor of mine maintain that if you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable. BANDI you don't know that. I wish I could say tonight that a lasting peace in.
Speaker 4: I don't feel the anocking dream. I feel a mocking light.
Speaker 3: If we share for issues to kill, if we share for hue to kill. Some say the world.
Speaker 2: Will end empire. Some say an I, from what.
Speaker 3: I've tasted of desire, I hold those of favor fire.
Speaker 2: But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate.
Speaker 4: To say that the destruction ice is also great and look sufficed.
Speaker 3: This is history or possible.
Speaker 1: Hello, everybody, I am here, and I'm really happy to be joined by my first anonymous subject, that is Crackpot History.
Speaker 2: The host of Crackpot History, who I think at this one.
Speaker 1: I'm just going to say, hey, man, hey dude, because I I want to keep its anonymous here. So I want to just first of all, say thank you for joining me on History Possible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks for having me excited to be here. Didn't know I was the first.
Speaker 2: For of course.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And it's appropriate too because of not just the stuff that I, you know, have been covering lately and sort of what I see as being an interesting sort of thing that I want, a theme that I've been sort of focused on lately that we'll be getting into with this episode. But I do think that there is something to be said about crackpots in history.
Speaker 2: These days and the use of history.
Speaker 1: And I guess we'll say a weaponized way, which is partly what you're going after. But you know, I'm not going to define your show for you. I kind of wanted to start out by asking you to just sort of just just sort of explain what is crackpot history, what's your mission with this broadly speaking, and what And I'm actually curious, like, what is the sort of story, if there is one, of how you got into this and what made you decide to make this or project in the history content creation space.
Speaker 2: I guess we could call it. Sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, happy to provide some additional color. So crackpot History, and this is kind of in the tagline of the show is all about separating history from hysteria. And so I think when you look at at the landscape today, there's a lot of what I would call pop influencers or pop historians or faux historians that are that are basically looking at history and applying a narrative driven lens to it. And I think that there's a few different reasons why people might do that. Right. One could be maybe you have a bias or an animus toward a particular subject. Right. One could be maybe you want to win hearts and minds for causes that you believe in. Another could be maybe there are state based geopolitical bad actors that are supporting you and want you to push your particular narrative. And so think I think that there's all of these different elements to this, And when you throw in the virality of social media of the internet, you know, those beliefs and that pop history can spread very quickly and influence the real world and influence geopolitical hotspots and influence policy. And so I think, more than anything else, the reason why I chose to name crackpot History is because there's a lot of crackpots out there, and there's a lot of people that kind of need to be fact checked, and so the podcast is all about really looking at their claims, not making it but personal attacks or mud slinging or anything like that, but looking at their claims and going claim by claim and saying, you know, is this true, what is the evidence for this? You know, what are the sources say, what do they say about it? Going into their footnotes and really trying to dive deep into the claims and invalidate them or not.
Speaker 1: And in the case of some you know people, have to where you have to actually try to discern what their you know, so to speak, footnotes are when they don't provide them. I mean, that's in a lot of ways the one of the biggest challenges I think of critiquing. I guess I'll say, we'll just call it online history. I don't know, I can't think of any other way to put it. Because some creators out there, I do really appreciate this, I see this on YouTube especially, will provide their list of sources in their notes. I actually, will, you know, be the first admit I don't put my sources in my episode notes, and maybe I should, but I do try to post a blog posts, you know, periodically saying here's the list of sources I use for this particular episode. I haven't done that in a bit so, and I just released the big episode of the Muslim Nazis about the handshar, so I probably should put together a nice comprehensive list of the sources I used, of course, But point being is that that's really hard to do when those are not provided. So I think that that's like in I would imagine, and maybe you can correct me on this, that's the hardest part of what you've been doing is trying to figure out what sources are being used.
Speaker 2: Or not being used. Am I on the right track there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's a big part of it. Yeah, I mean some of the folks that I've covered. So I'm in the middle of my second series right now. My first series was on Darryl Cooper, covering his fear and loathing in the New Jerusalem History of the Israeli Palestinian Conflict, currently covering Scott Horton's book Provoked in the History of the Russo Ukrainian War. So I've only done two series in the middle of my second But yeah, in some cases, the sources in you know, in Horton's case, I'm using the ebook and there are sources in the footnotes, but a lot of those are websites, and some of those links are dead because they're from old sources. Right in Cooper's case, there really aren't sources in some cases, and then you have to go kind of on this scavenger hunt looking for them and trying to figure out, well, where did he pull this quote from? And in some cases I've been successful and been able to find sources that he doesn't name. I also, by the way, I'm guilty of this. I don't actually list the sources that I refer to in my episodes, but when I'm quoting from them, I do say who is I'm quoting from, and typically what the title of the work is?
Speaker 2: Oh? Same same here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's I mean, that's honestly the at least in the case of you know, long form, you know, narrative history podcasters. But I think in your case too, I mean, I think that that's a tradition laid down by Dan Carlin years ago at this point, I mean twenty years ago actually, now that I think about it. It's a I think it's a twentieth anniversary of hardcore history, and he's always been really good at that. But I think Carlin has kind of turned into more of a historiographical storyteller, if that makes sense, where he's very dedicated to the to the sourcing, and he very rarely makes any assertion of his own at least I mean, he'll say if it's his opinion, and I think that's a really good model to follow. But yeah, so I think the scavenger hunt of sources, on the one hand, is actually kind of fun. I think if you're a certain level of autistic, like I think I am, and I don't want to speak for you, but it maybe you are.
Speaker 2: But it's kind of fun.
Speaker 1: It's like a scavenger hunt, like you said, and that's that's kind of satisfying. But but yeah, like trying to figure that out, I would imagine, like I said, is the hardest part. But at the same time, it can be really rewarding because then you can find new information you might not have otherwise found, you know, So in a sense there's you know, some value in that as well. But excuse me, I guess we should probably get into it. I'd be remiss not to mention or to repeat the fact that your very first subject was, you know, of Daryl Cooper, somebody who I have collaborated with and spoken highly of and increasingly more critically of. And you know, honestly, I don't think the critiques are going to stop anytime soon at this point, for various reasons, especially given the waters he's decided to wade into when it comes to World War II history, which, funny enough, I don't think is really much we can say about that, at least right now, because, like you said, your focus was on Fear and Loathing in The New Jerusalem, his first series, which, as I'll just say that, I after listening to your series on that, I can see a lot of issues with what he did with that series. Now, I still think it's a very good series as far as storytelling goes. I mean, I think that you yourself have said, whatever one thinks of him, his politics or his you know, his quality of his analysis, he's a very good storyteller. He's good at what he does, and I think that that's always something we need to acknowledge. But he plays a little fast and loose, and you made that very clear with this first series of yours, which, if I remember right, you called Manufactured Martyr. I believe is what you titled that series. Yeah, it's a good title, and I think it's fair to say it's probably his most well known series. You know, I will say that I was one of those people for a while, and I you know that I that really loved that series, and I did defer to his judgment with that series a fair bit longer than I think I should have. I think he did play fast and loose in a lot of in a lot of cases. And my only sense is that as I did my own parallel research as part of my own series on the Muslim Nazis that touched on the same subject. My criticism of him, and we talked about this before we're recording, was really how he treated the character of the Mufti of hajaminaw Husseini, which I thought was, like i'll characterize it now as far to kid gloves, I guess maybe hands off i'd be a better word to. And there's probably various reasons for that, but I always felt that he was a little too credulous with that character, and I think that that might have been, like, you know that that was a good instinct for me to follow, because if I think I had followed it further, I probably would have found a lot of what you found in this. So I guess like it always bothered me how he didn't really give the Mufty his due, and like I.
Speaker 2: Said, there's more to it than that.
Speaker 1: So when your series came along, I mean, honestly, I wouldn't call what your series was it was a scalpel.
Speaker 2: Of fear and loathing in the New Jerusalem, but it was a.
Speaker 1: Full set of surgical tools, like That's why I would characterize it. And so I figured we'd just start with that and I can let you describe in broad strokes what you came away with when talking about that series.
Speaker 2: You already kind of started to talk about it a little bit.
Speaker 1: So I want to let you, you know, go through what you found with the with the with your Manufactured Martyr series, and maybe you can linger on whatever details that you found particularly significant with that.
Speaker 3: Sure, yeah, I can. We can definitely start there. So I think you know, at the beginning of Fear and Loathing in the New Jerusalem, it's in the first episode, at the very opening in the introduction, you know, Cooper tells the audience that he's not going to tell us who's right from wrong. He's just going to tell us the history. And I'm this is verbati, this is I'm paraphrasing here, basically what he said. And when you hear that, as a member of the audience, you're basically kind of priming yourself and saying, Okay, this is going to be a telling of the history. There's no bias, there's no animis. He's just going to ping pong back and forth between what was going on with the Jews, what was going on with the Arabs, the Palestinians, and we're going we're going to get a forth right telling. And I think that as you go through the series, there are these moments, these kind of inflection points where you say, well, that sounds like there's some animis there, right, And then there are things that are just flat out a historical incorrect Pinprick remarks that he makes really just punching down on the Jews in Israel as it relates to this conflict. Things that go far beyond the scope I think of, you know, this is just the history of the Israeli Palestinian conflict. You know, there's this one. There's this one comment that he makes that he stands out and I go comment by comment, you know, point by point, where he says something to the effect of it was, it was a wonder that Jews were allowed to live and persist in Europe at all, given that they, you know, had fought against the Christians in Spain, given that they had been responsible for all of these crimes, historical crimes decide I believe he refers to in terms of, you know, the killing of Jesus. Just all of these pieces that are very ahistorical or kind of leaning on clear animates when it comes to the Jews specifically, and go, I go point by point and kind of correct the record as to why those things aren't the case. Right there are there are many, many, many historians that study these things and publish on them. And so that's just you know, one example. But another one that I think is even that really stands out and really grinded my gears at the time, and I mentioned this to you previously, was that there are just things that are factually wrong, regardless of whether you have a favorite or pick a side in the sports game, as people kind of think of this conflict these days as things that are just wrong. You know. He says that the Hashermites liberated Jerusalem in nineteen seventeen. No, that was the British and Allen be actually right. And so there are just things that are really basic that when I'm going through my episodes and I'm fact checking and I'm making sure that I'm holding myself accountable. If you're going to position yourself as a historian, which I believe he now does. You know, there's always there was this whole debate as to you know, does he consider himself a historian? Do these guys doing pop history label themselves as a historian. If you're going to embrace that label, then you really need to get it right. And I think that there's just a tremendous amount of and animus in this series. And then when you combine that with his current tweets on the subject on the conflict, I think you bring those two pieces together. I think it's very clear where he stands and whether he was being truthful in the introduction of his series as to whether he was going to be giving us a forthright, unbiased telling of the history.
Speaker 2: M hmm. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And it's interesting you bring up his tweets too, because I feel like what you kind of showed is very interesting because a common thing that a lot of people always said to me, and I always deflected, how do you reconcile this guy's ability to tell such a careful story, like a nuanced story. The word nuance came up a lot when people would say this and the person he is on Twitter, and I always said because it was what he said and what he and I talked about. I mean, there was one time I told him my method of not tweeting from the hips, so to speak for me at the time, it was more Facebook posting.
Speaker 2: Now I do more Twitter, doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: The point is what I always what I told him was like the method that I've always used to keep me from getting in trouble is write what I want to say in the heat of the moment, but then don't post it, and then like wait an hour, and then if you still feel that way, then post it, and nine times out of ten you're not going to want to post it.
Speaker 2: And he thought it was a good idea. Obviously he never stuck to that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, what I thought was really interesting though, is that people always said, including people who really like him like personally too, like he's just two different people on Twitter and on his podcast or on Twitter and when you talk to him in person. And I would also agree with that, but I think what you kind of showed with your show, especially I think in light of how he's been increasingly more defensive after his blow up and fame from his Tucker Carlson appearance in late twenty twenty four, I think you're kind of showing that there's less daylight between the Twitter persona and the podcast. And that was I think what was so striking to me as somebody who vaguely knows Daryl and has known him for a while and has supported his work and in a weird way still kind of do because I we can get We'll circle back to that if you want about the about why I think it's fine to have people like that saying what they're saying on the internet.
Speaker 2: It's just that you need to have people there to challenge them.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I guess what I'm saying is I think that that disconnect was kind of connected with what you did in your series, and I think that that's important to notice.
Speaker 2: And I guess, yeah, Like that's.
Speaker 1: The thing that I don't want to gloss over too much, is for somehow if there's anyone listening who has not also listened to Darryl series about Israel and Palestine, and I mentioned how he kind of glossed over Hajamin al Husseini's role, and I, you know, because it's, you know, kind of my hobby horse. I was thinking we can maybe hone in on that a little bit. And I'm working off memory that's much more distant than yours, because you looked at the Haja mean aspect of the story much more recently than I did. But we talked about this a little bit before recording, Like I was saying that he kind of just ends the story of Hajajamin al Husseini in the Israeli Palestinian conflict at around the Arab revolt. He doesn't really even touch on the McDonald white paper Shenanigans. He doesn't talk about the far Hood at all in Iraq. He doesn't really even talk about Haja Mean in like teaming up with the Access. He gives it like one throwaway mention if memory serves, and he basically dismisses the Mufty as having just gone insane instead of looking at him more seriously like he has been throughout the previous part of the series and a lot of other figures. Because that's the thing is that omission is what I thought was so weird, is because if you're going to tell the story of this conflict, you have to give agency to people like hajaminaw who's saying that they don't just go insane and stop mattering.
Speaker 2: They have significance. And so yeah, I think.
Speaker 1: That that lack of I guess you could say, you could call it too much credulity or lack of credulity, depending on what you're talking about. But his lack of coverage of Hajamen always bothered me in that sense because it felt like he was not giving him or his side of the conflict they're real due. He was kind of treating them, like I said, with kid gloves and not giving them the responsibility that they might otherwise have while putting all the responsibility on the Zionis side of the conflict.
Speaker 2: And that, like I said, that always bothered me.
Speaker 1: I felt like that kind of helped crystallize why I thought your series was so effective.
Speaker 2: So do do you have any thoughts in that regard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I think that there is I think that there is a misallocation of agency when it comes to when it comes to Husseini specifically, I think that he is portrayed as being a and this is you know, this is Horton's I'm paraphrasing Horton here, but he's basically portrayed as a moderating force in the series that was trying to quell the violence, trying to work with the British, trying to make sure that peace was possible between the competing national movements that were urging in the Mandate of Palestine in at the time. And I think that that is just simply incorrect and ahistorical when you actually dive into things, and specifically, I think one of the most egregious moments in Fear and Loathing in the New Jerusalem is surrounding the as you know, the Pogrim of nineteen twenty nine, which was in Hebron and is labeled Hebron Pogrim, but also was in other areas of the Mandate, and Husseini and his acolytes were the ones that kind of fanned the flames of this transpiring. So they handed out materials that were said things to the effect of, you know, the Jews are coming to seize Alaxa, right and things along those lines, which are just completely incorrect, and just that wasn't part of the plan. And so there's this kind of deferral of agency where oh he was there, he was trying to make sure that a lid was kept on on the tempers and the potential for chaos, while he was actually behind the scenes wanting to instigate the violence. And that piece just isn't portrayed at all. The other piece that I think is really missing is the Husseinis, the more extremist elements of Palestinian Arab society in the Mandate at the time. They weren't just operating unopposed, right, there was a counterbalancing force in the form of the Nashashibies and the Nashashibi family, who were much more moderate, who wanted to work with the British, who wanted to find a diplomatic solution with the Zionists, with the Jews in the Mandate at the time, and I personally believe that if they were given enough support this conflict, the one hundred plus years of it could have gone in a very different way, but they were attacked and killed by Husseini and his acolytes and lost their prestigion influence because of it. Cooper doesn't really that at all. So the mini Palestinian Civil War that happened, and the fact that these people were killed and butchered in the sake of for the sake of a maximalist outcome that Hussein he wanted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's something that I am also kind of bristle at too with his coverage because he doesn't recognize or I don't want to. I don't want to necessarily impuge motive, at least not yet, because I kind of wanted.
Speaker 2: To get into that a little bit later.
Speaker 1: But I don't like how he minimized Haja means anti Semitism or Jew hatred might be a better way of putting it, just so we're not we don't get stuck in that hole splitting of hairs like, oh, well they're all Semis that kind of thing. But uh, yeah, I bristle at his inability to recognize that haja means motivation was what it was, like you said, he really did portray him as a moderating force, and I am somewhat guilt of following in his footsteps earlier on in my own Muscle Nazi series when talking about that, I saw his motivation less innocently, but I did try to I did try to present him as somebody who didn't want violence to get out of control because he was trying to maintain power. I didn't have all the sources available to me at the time. I didn't even know about the pamphlets that you were talking about just then, So there is some correction needed there on my part, for sure. But with that said, I still think that he was much more interested in growing and maintaining his influence and power. That was one motivating plank for Haja mean that I don't really get the sense Daryl appreciated or noted, and his Jew hatred was more framed, if it was framed at all, And maybe you can correct me on this, because again your memory is fresher on this than mine. He more saw it as a reaction, and that does seem to be kind of Daryl's view on anti Semitism, is that it's always a reaction to something that Jews do or that like particularly annoying or quote unquote bad Jews do, and I think that's also kind of how he sees how racism operates. But the difference between I'll just say that maybe that's true sometimes. But the thing about anti Semitism Jew hatred is that it's a conspiracy theory before it's a bigotry. So there's always something preemptive about it. And I think that when you don't appreciate that, and you're going to underrate it as a motivator. And as we talked about before recording, there is very good, circumstantial evidence that Hajamin al Husseini was very aware and very familiar with the Protocols of the Elders of Zion by at least nineteen twenty, if not before. He was multilingual, so he could have read other editions of it even before that the point. And also he was you know, he supposedly had it memorized later in life, so clearly he was familiar with it. And you also spoke about this with me a little bit before we were recording, about the sort of historical confluence of factors there. Maybe you can and highlight that a little bit for listeners, but I guess what that's what I'm saying is that I feel like underrating these internal motivations in favor of these grand historical forces. What that ultimately does is takes responsibility and agency away from Haja mean, especially for events like the nineteen twenty nine riots. But you could even go back and say the Nabi Musa riots perhaps as well. Though the sense I got is that that was a little more I think that that was definitely a situation where things got a little out of control. They weren't necessarily meant to be that crazy. But maybe maybe I'm wrong on that too, Maybe I need to update my understanding of all those events too. But anyway, I wanted to let you respond to the idea of these confounding motivations that Daryl just left out, or at least seem to leave out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think that any telling of the history needs to look at both sides, right and so on the one side, on the one hand, if if you're Cooper and you're going to talk about some of the some of the actions of the Irgun in the lay hey right, which you know especially right, Yeah, so if you're going to cover those in granular detail, and then you're not going to account for, you know, what precipitated the violence and what brought about those organizations. Right, So you mentioned Nebi Musa in nineteen twenty, the Jaffa riots in nineteen twenty one, you know, the battle at Tel High around the same period, and then obviously culminating in nineteen twenty nine. There's this decade that the Anglo American Committee of Inquiry actually refers to where the Jews kind of sat on their hands and really didn't do much until the thirties and things started really kind of coming around and they said, well, you know, we want to find some kind of a diplomatic resolution here. But it doesn't really seem like we have another side of the aisle that's kind of willing to meet us halfway. And that whole story isn't really portrayed, right, Like Cooper might touch on elements of the Nebu Musa riots and the jaff riots and all that stuff, but the fifty thousand foot narrative isn't really given. And I think that's important because these organizations, the Huguanah that you're gun the lay He. You know, if you want to talk with their actions, we can talk with their actions, certainly, but what brought them into existence? Right would they have existed if there wasn't this decade of the of the nineteen twenties that really kind of shifted Jewish thinking and brought about the radicals, as some people would call them today, like the Jabbatinskis of the world, et cetera. With his Iron Wall essay saying, we want to make peace with the Arabs, but in the short term, we need this iron wall of force to get us to a point where a compromise can be reached, which is how he concludes his essay, which most people don't actually speak to. But that whole story isn't really being told there, and so you know, you have to question at some point when you're diving into the negative aspects of one side of the conflict but not really giving the same amount of detail or omitting some of the agency and the animus on the other side, it kind of makes you question, what is the motivating force behind that decision?
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, yeah, yeah, Well, I mean you can also ask that question about like why, what's the motivating force behind the decision not to include certain things or include certain things, or if that's what you mean, is that what you meant, yeah, that's exactly right. Yeah, Yeah, we'll get back to that in a little bit, uh, because I have some questions about that too, But I do have a more meta question, I guess, like, how credible do you find Darryl's claims of having read hundreds of books at over a thousand academic papers and the subject of Israel Palestine. I mean I was always skeptical, Like I think I told you earlier. I think that led to him being a little miffed at me, which you know, in which case I think has ultimately led to me getting blocked by him.
Speaker 3: But I've always well, welcome to the club, by the way, welcome.
Speaker 1: To the exactly Yeah, which makes me a little sad, because you know, I did consider him like something of a friend for a while. But I mean, you know, that's just you know, Internet debate politics for you, I guess. But but yeah, I've always been skeptical of his claims of having read that much. But yeah, what do you make of his of his claims of having read that much?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Look, I think that I when I'm looking at a series, when I'm looking at Cooper or Horton or you know, Dave Smith, Tucker, Carlson, et ceter o. Insert name here, Right, I'm kind of just focusing on what the claims are, and so from the claims you can kind of you can draw your own conclusions, right. I mentioned I think I mentioned to you that, you know, when he said that the Hashermites liberated Jerusalem in nineteen seventeen, that raises some eyebrows, right, Like, that's a very that's a very basic claim. That's a part of the story as to how the British controlled the area, you know, how we got to the Balfour Declaration, how the conflict really started, right, that is a These are very basic fundamental facts, if.
Speaker 2: You don't mind me jumping in.
Speaker 1: Sorry, where do you think the claim that the Hashemites liberated it came from?
Speaker 3: I think it might be a geography issue, maybe a little bit of confusion. You know, there's there's obviously the Hashemites liberated Akaba with lawns of Arabia, and then they moved north on the east side of the Jordan River. But crossing into Palestine as a force, you know, with with political leadership to liberate Jerusalem, I mean certainly didn't happen. Neither were Hashemite forces fighting. I believe he also says that they that they fought in the Sinai and there might have been, you know, some troops, that it might have crossed the Jordan, but there wasn't a collective effort. There's nothing that really substantively documents that or as evidence to that fact that there was a concerted Hashemite effort in conjunction with Allen b and the British to liberate the entirety of Palestine and Jerusalem. Of course. I mean, look, you want to make an argument about them securing the flanks with Akaba and moving up north into trans Jordan, you can have that claim, but that's not what is said in the podcast in his series.
Speaker 1: Gotcha Okay, So it's just more of like he made a fast and loose comment that he didn't really like linger on. So I guess it sounds that sounds more like an innocent mistake than anything else.
Speaker 3: I mean, it certainly could be right, But then I think you when you go through the series and you listen to the number of quote, you know, innocent mistakes that are made, I think you really have to take a step back and say, you know, is there something at play here? You know, is there animus? Is there bias? Why isn't this full story being told? Why is the context missing? And I just I think that there's just a lot of smoke there, which is why I made the decision to start with this series, because as I started listening to it, I started pointing out and recognizing there were a lot of things that needed some additional context in color.
Speaker 1: Right, and yeah, actually we should linger on the I remember the thing that really the thing that actually caused you to be in the club that I now also occupy of being blocked by him, it was what was the sourcing issue with that? It was he took issue with you saying that you could not find it rearticular source for his claim of what what was that?
Speaker 2: Do you recall?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so the claim was and there was a big Twitter blow up back and forth about this, and so the claim what it gained.
Speaker 2: You like five thousand followers if I remember, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So it's funny I started. I started the account in April of now last year, twenty twenty five, and is today I think I'm sitting close to fifty five hundred followers or something, And people say, oh, do you know how did you get that many? If you must be with Masad or something crazy with that.
Speaker 2: We got the seven thousand dollars check.
Speaker 3: Seven seven thousand dollars. Yeah, seven thousand dollars check.
Speaker 1: Per post or Massad is listening, I will take seven thousand dollars. I would love seven thousand dollars. I'm in debt for grad school guys.
Speaker 2: Come on.
Speaker 3: So the whole thing was there's this conversation that he refers to that is a conversation between Usishkin, who was a Jewish leader, and Ronald Stores, who was the British military of ji Islam at the time. And at the end of the conversation, the way that it's framed by Cooper is that Usishkin basically threatened Ronald Stores by saying, and I believe this was in correct me if I'm mistaken, I believe this was in the context of the aftermath of the nineteen twenty nine program, where they were basically Usishkin was saying, this is a program. You know, the British bear responsibility for this. I know what a program looks like. I've experienced or seen them myself, or you know, read enough material on them. Given what happened in Tsarist Russia? This was a program. And then at the end of the conversation, Cooper basically says that Usishkin threatened stores by saying something of the effect of you saw what happened to the Tsar, you know, watch your back, basically something to that effect. And so there was a whole there was a hole back and forth. But you know, is that what happened in the quote or was that? Is that an accurate quote? Is that an you're telling of the story, and when you dive into the sources that refer to it, that part of the quote isn't mentioned. And then somebody actually on X and I was going to do this myself, somebody actually dove into the archives in Israel and posted a telling in the archives that are the basis for this conversation being referred to in various historical works, and that isn't there. And so that was kind of the end of the back and forth when I highlighted that, and some some very well read follower on X pulled that up and that was that was basically the end of.
Speaker 1: It, right, Yeah, And I remember somebody also pulled a the origin of that quote. If I remember right, it was a I am blanking on the name of the website, but they did find a version of that. But I think if I remember right, it was just a scanned page of another secondary source. But it was on a site that is that like has a reputable sounding name something about it.
Speaker 3: There was there was like a site there was like a Jewish encyclopedia site or something that's it that, yeah, And so that came up and they had they also don't have a source for it. And so the basis the basis of this conversation, and I think I don't want to, you know, be misattributing here, but I believe that Cooper pulls this from Tom Segev's book One Palestine Complete. Yes, it was a history, yes, which is a history of man of the Mandate. And so when you go in there, Segev doesn't refer to that ending part of the conversation, right, And that's what I highlight in my critique of Cooper here. And then again, you know, the Twitter follower kind of beat me to it and pulled up the archive in Israel that refers to the conversation that I believe Segev refers to. And it also isn't there. And so that was the basis of the of the back and forth and what ultimately I think got me blocked by Cooper as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, and that's just kind of his his MO has been liberal with the block button, I mean, and that's something that I think a lot of people have like come to do, especially when they have high follower accounts and are, yeah, getting questioned, especially when.
Speaker 3: You know, my rule for that is my rule for that is, if you're gonna like personally insult me, you're probably gonna get blocked. But if you're if you're focusing on the claims or the arguments or having a back and forth, like it doesn't make sense, you're not you're not getting you're not getting blocked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, and and again, I mean this gets into sort of more broadly like what you you know, what you're doing essentially and well again another thing to come back to, but you're engaging in critique. So and what is essentially a peer review. And the thing about peer review and critique is that the peer review and the critique can be critiqued and reviewed and then you review the review with I mean, it's like it's and that I think a lot of people don't understand the value of that, because like the value of being wrong, I guess, is what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 2: I resent.
Speaker 1: Actually this is something I get to pat myself on the back here, so I'm I'm going to But somebody, a very nice Polish listener, pointed out to me that in my most recent episode I made a booboo in the sense that I interchangeably used the term Warsaw ghetto uprising and Warsaw uprising. Those are two distinct events, and I conflated them, at least in passing. And I didn't get the dates wrong or anything like that with what I was talking about, but I did make a conflation, and that is an error. That's you know, it's even a major error, especially for you know, someone to make who is trying to be authoritative on a particular subject, as you know, I am trying to do, at least to a certain degree, as Darrel's trying to do, as as you're trying to do. And I think that that's a valuable impulse, is to correct yourself. And I will be fair to Daryl, especially after his initial defensive thread about making Churchill the villain of World War Two. He did correct himself a couple times. Credit where it to do. But I think that self correction is a very vital skill, and blocking is the opposite of self correction. It's a way of saying I have nothing to correct.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean so, you know, Dave Smith, I think once he either quote tweeted me or quote tweeted Cooper referring to me and say something of the effect of, you know, look at all the people ganging up on Cooper. There's a reason they're coming after his claims, or something that effect. And I replied to Dave and I basically said, you know, you're clearly not familiar with this study of history, because if you were, peer review is an intrinsic part of this, right, and it's not something that people shirk from or are scared of. You know, you need to be open to critique, you know. And I think they would probably say, oh, this isn't this isn't peer review, this is really bad faith, right, because you're disagreeing with the narrative that they believe in. From a geopolitical standpoint. That furthers there. I think some would say political objectives, which is as I said earlier. You know, I think a lot of this is if you can influence the past and impact the past and change people's beliefs and win hearts and minds, and you can impact the press and in the future, and I think that there might be a little bit of that at play here as well, when it comes to the telling of the history here. But all that is to say, peer review is intrinsically a part of the study of history, and so if you're going to accept the label of historian, you're going to allow people to refer to you to that. Just because you're not writing an academic paper doesn't mean you should or want to escape critique.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, And again, this is something I wanted to talk to you about more towards the end of the conversation, but this is a good preview for it, because I think that we're both aligned on that idea. You reminded me also of I think the first thing that made me a little put off by Darrel's reaction to your existence really, which.
Speaker 2: He also, by the way, I thought was very funny.
Speaker 1: He thought that it was a podcast just dedicated to him, which it's not. Yes, you've made that very clear already. Though technically I don't know if you knew this. The book Provoked was originally going to be co written by Daryl and Scott Horton. I don't know what happened with that, but that was the original plan. So in a sense, I guess you are making a show just about him.
Speaker 3: Interesting. I actually I wasn't aware of that. Actually, I didn't know that it was going to be jointly authored by the both of them.
Speaker 1: It was just like an initial coll I don't think that lasted very long, honestly.
Speaker 2: I mean, though.
Speaker 1: Maybe honestly, given that Scott Horton has eight thousand footnotes he loves to brag about, Daryl might be in those footnotes somewhere.
Speaker 2: I have no idea, but there are.
Speaker 3: There are a lot of footnotes in Provoked, many many footnotes.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, cool, yeah, no, we'll jump back to that though.
Speaker 1: But the thing that really put me off was when Darrel was getting mad at you for that, and he saw that I was, you know, praising your you know, your work, and you know, being skeptical of the amount of sources he'd read. He used words as something to the effect of, I can't believe you don't see what's going on here, which is to imply that I'm falling for some kind of grand conspiracy theory, which that was when I was like, what is this? What am I falling for here? I'm falling for critique or am I falling for somebody daring to question you? Because that seems the latter seems to be really what the issue is, because there's nothing wrong with being critiqued.
Speaker 2: There's nothing wrong with having your.
Speaker 1: Work subject to criticism, even harsh criticism. Is there a level of bad faith, it doesn't matter if the criticism is sound, that's all that matters. You know, bad faith does matter at a certain point, but you know, when it comes down to it, if there's things that you can't account for in your own work, that means you made a mistake and that needs to be accounted for. In his case, and anyway, I didn't want to make this too much about internet drama, but it's kind of unavoidable because a lot of this kind of stuff happens in social media, and as much as I don't like to admit it, I think that we need to do away with the idea that social media is not real life when it comes to things like politics, history and so forth.
Speaker 2: It is real life. It's been real life for a lot longer. I think that we want to add.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I look, I think that that's first of all, the world revolves around internet drama, so it don't worry, It's fine. But I think I think you're one hundred percent right, Like I think that we need to be open to feedback and critique, right, and again, it really comes down to labels, right, So I mean it should the bar be higher for somebody like a Darryl Cooper or Scott Horton versus a Dave Smith. Yes, absolutely. I mean if you accept the label of historian, if you're going to publish works with sources and footnotes, and you're going to position yourself in that way, then you need to be open and receptive to the fact that people are going to critique your work. I think that part of this issue is that we're in this and I speak to this in the very in the first episode of Crack About Histor, which is actually episode zero, where I talk about the justification for the show, where you know, I think that a lot of these people are kind of living in these bubbles where they're surrounded by people that think like them, because this is the popular thing right now. Right, you have revisionists, contrarian history. You spoke to this yourself before. You know Churchill, it was the chief villain of World War two, you know, as an example, right, Hodjaminal Husseini was a moderating influence things like this, and that's kind of the popular shiny thing right now. And so I think that a lot of these people that are kind of telling these historical narratives maybe surround themselves with people that think similarly, right, and maybe they don't encounter pushback. You know. My whole thing, and I speak to this again in episode zero, is that it needs to be long form. The pushback needs to be substantive, because what you see on x or Twitter, whatever you want to call it, is a lot of people kind of reacting to the claim saying, oh, they're ridiculous. And it's a bit of a handwave right when you say, oh, of Churchill was a villain of World War two. Okay, this guy's clearly off his rocker. But where's the follow up? Right, where is the substance? Because his followers, you know, Horton, the Coopers of the World, et cetera, their followers always say, stop attacking him, address the claims, and so that's kind of underpinning the entirety of Cracklawn history. Okay, we're not attacking him, we're only addressing the claims. Yeah, and I was gonna say the other I wonder if he's a listener. The only person I've seen, really like high profile person I've seen really try to do that so far as Coleman Hughes with his what was it seventeen hour conversation with Dave Smith, whatever it was, it was very good and he was very they were respectful to each other. And I haven't even finished listening to it, honestly, but just listening to the first hour of it, it's like, yeah, it got tedious, Like I heard a lot of people critique it, but that's the point, Like you have to be tedious, especially with people who are going to be, you know, making claims like that. Yeah, Oh, I wanted to ask before I forget you said that Daryl has no longer at least stopped people from referring to him as a historian, or is he started calling himself a historian. I have not seen him do that, but I also haven't really been looking into him and his statements for a while. So, first of all, very much big fan of Coleman, Hugh. I thought the conversation with Dave Smith was phenomenal. I watched the whole thing, and I thought it was just a Coleman did in that episode what I think I'm trying to do via podcast and Crackpot History Live, and probably much more eloquently and more skillfully than I could do in the same setting.
Speaker 2: So very much to be in his position, yeah, that would be yeah.
Speaker 3: Very much, very much respect what Coleman is doing and is trying to do. So the historian reference. In I think the most recent Tucker Carlson interview, Carlson refers to to Darryl as the most august historian and he does that, I believe, in front of him, and there's no there's no pushback there. So my take on that is the label has now been accepted, and the amount of pushback that is commensurate with accept that label by way of you now labeling yourself or accepting others labeling you as a historian, should be commensurate, right that should it should There should be an appropriate level of pushback to accepting that label and then making making claims that I think are deserving of that pushback.
Speaker 1: And without like you know, just leaving it open so that you can later say I never called myself a historian, for example.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, now, not to jump the gun with your future plans, but just because we've been talking about Daryl's work, are you planning on approaching Daryl's other series, including his as Best I Can Tell, Superior and better research follow up series God's Socialist.
Speaker 3: It's a good question. I mean, a lot of people really liked my coverage. If you're and loathing in the New Jerusalem, you know there's a lot of content to cover with uh provoked in Scott Wharton's current book, and so I just released part two. There's a number of chapters leading up to the present day. So I'm kind of I'm kind of just focused on that. Will I will I go back to Cooper I think at some point, certainly, But I think there's a lot of claims being made by a lot of influencers, a lot of pop historians that are deserving of attention. So there's just to say there's not a lack of content that deserves coverage.
Speaker 1: Sure, Yeah, And I'll just say, just to put my opinion out there, I have seen criticism that with God's Socialist at least, that Darro was just pulling from a handful of books and stretched it out into, like, you know, a forty hour series or something, And that would probably align with my skepticism of his having read literally hundreds of books about Israel, Zion as a mara of nationalism and all that. But generally what I already knew and what I've come to know about the People's Temple and the radical meltdowns of the seventies that aligns with most of what he said and reported in that series. So I can, I mean, just based on my memory and just based on you know, what I know, I can speak to the quality of that series for the most part. And I would actually say the same goes for his one offs, like that one he did called The Anti Humans, which I still think is a very powerful episode. Though that did have a couple of moments that made arch and eyebrow, particularly when he started referencing things about Yugoslavia, which has kind of been my wheelhouse as well for a while. And I'll just mention on one in that episode, I don't know if you've listened to it.
Speaker 2: He just kind of.
Speaker 1: Omitted consciously or otherwise of just who the Ustasia and wartime Croatia were, that the Partisans were killing at the end of the war, like he made it sound like they were just innocent nationalists getting victimized by communists, and I remember just wrinkling my nose of that and being like, I don't think and I saw it at the time, and maybe I still do. I don't really have any reason to see otherwise, but at the time I was kind of like, I don't think you know much about the Ustasia if you're talking about them as innocent victims regardless. I guess yeah, I'll broaden my question a little bit here, because after seeing all these problems with his Fear and Loathing series that you highlighted, and not to mention his extremely reckless and low quality errors with his current World War II series, which I'm sure you've been following that a fair bit too, at least online, I guess what I'm wondering is, how are we supposed to trust anything that he says, even though I do think that his God's Socialist series stacks up. I'm now much more skeptical because of what you highlighted in fear and loathing, And I guess, putting aside the motive for now, even if it's all accidental, let's just say that demonstrates at best in competence, right. I mean, I guess the broad question is for me here where do we.
Speaker 2: Draw the line? Where do we draw the.
Speaker 1: Line where incompetence meets calculation or where incompetence becomes calculation? I mean, does it depend from person to person or is there just a certain point where that just doesn't matter anymore? So that's what I mean by a broader question. I guess it's more philosophical in that sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it is a broad question. And I think to zoom out fifty thousand foot view here. So I know I've referred to this previously, but I speak to this in episode zero of Crackpot History. The motivation behind the show, and the motivation behind the show. The thing that kind of lit a light bulb for me was and you probably saw this, Do you remember this the episode of Joe Rogan between Douglas Murray and Dave Smith, that whole debate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the debate that no one won. We all lost.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's it's it kind will kind of set the Internet on fire, right, and it fried everybody's brains. But I think it was asking a really good question. And even though Murray was kind of being t V one there, it was this question of who can you trust? Right, and it was the experts versus the influencers. And that's my language, I'm kind of paraphrasing, but that's kind of the gist of it, right, And I think that I think that we live in this period where to a degree, there's a large segment of people that look at the experts on a variety of different subjects that typically revolves around politics, or history or generally the humanities. Right, these these softer, less quantitative subjects compared to you know, civil engineering or being a pilot or something like that, where you either land the plane or you don't, and the bridge either stands or the bridge collapses. But these softer subjects that are more narrative driven or open to interpretation, where people have a lack of trust for what, you know, the quote unquote experts. And I think that that's for a variety of different reasons. You know, some of them political, some of them social, some of them given recent events, and that results in a large segment of people looking at the experts and saying, I don't trust the experts. You know, I don't trust the typical historical narrative. I trust that guy because you know, he's telling me that the esoteric undercover history that nobody's really told me before because it's been censored from me. And I'm actually now a part of this special little in group audience, and I actually feel very important because I'm a part of this, and now it's on me to share this esoteric knowledge with other people so that I can feel special disseminating it. It's this, it's this whole psychological I think flywheel of audiences and influencers, and this isn't really just about about uh Cooper here, right, This is about more people that do this, and I think there's a there's a there's a motivating force behind it that's really kind of insular, and it's all about them saying, you know, if you come to me, I will tell you the truth. I will distill this hidden knowledge for you. I will make you feel special. I will tell you what's been hidden from you for decades. If you just listen to me. And I think that there's something psychologically triggering there for a lot of people.
Speaker 2: Sounds like a cult leader.
Speaker 3: That's your that's your language, not mine. But I definitely think that. Look, I think I think that there's I think that there is an aspect to this, right, and when you when you really dive deep into it and you you ask people, you know, what is it about what is it about Horton or Cooper or these these different narratives that you that are that are really just in some cases out there that that interests you. And people say, well, you know, I just don't trust the experts, or it's been it's been hidden from me, it's been censored, and they come up with a way to kind of justify listening to these alternative versions of history. And it starts, maybe a little bit innocently, and then you end it, well Churchill, you ended a place where you say, well Churchill was the chief villain of World War two, and that has alongside, yeah, all that stuff, but on the wrong side, deconstructing the foundation midst of the modern West, right, and that has the potential to have real impact in the present day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and and yeah, obviously I'm being a little facetious. But at the same time, if you listen to God's Socialist, there's a point where Cooper does a very good job explaining the cult leader psychology.
Speaker 2: Let's just put it that way. I'm giving him shit.
Speaker 1: But but uh yeah, I do think that you're you're definitely speaking to something, and I think that really, you know, we can't talk too much about it, obvious because you're you only released a second episode, but with your second series Fields of Gold, Fields of Red, that that does seem to be really what you're getting at with Horton's work is that he's.
Speaker 2: Really getting at this idea that.
Speaker 1: Russia was, as the title suggests, provoked into committing an act of flagrant territorial imperialism and annexation and shocking violence on the European continent. More shocking than anything that's happened. I mean, I don't want to overstate it, but probably since World War Two in terms of scale, because as bad as it was with the crackup of Yugoslavia in the nineties, I mean, the scale was nothing like this. So the point being is, I guess what I'm saying is there's only two episodes of this series you're working on. But what are your takeaways from that project so far. Let's pivot towards Horton a little bit here, because you've mentioned him a couple of times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that there is you know, I found in the first two chapters. I'm going chapter by chapter, and the way that Horton breaks up the book is by presidency. So he starts with Bush Senior and then he goes basically from and So what I found is, and I say this in the series, I think that starting in the eighties is problematic because you're basically missing hundreds of years of context that basically takes you to the collapse of the Soviet Union. And you know, I in his defense, there might be a very valid reason for doing that, Right, you can only fill so many pages of a book you have to publish at some point, and maybe you know, he wanted to focus on the role of US foreign policy. But when you actually dive into the history of the region, right, hundreds of years of trying to quash Ukrainian nationalism and it just popping back up, you're missing a lot of that, right, And there's this moment in the book and I speak to this where Horton actually does this deep dive. He really focuses on the Yugoslav Wars because that's used as basically a poster child to basically point, in his opinion to the malpractice of the West in provoking Russia. So a lot, there's a big deep dive on Serbia and the Yugoslav Wars, and he does this whole oh, go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 2: Oh. I was just gonna say, he's following the lead of.
Speaker 1: What I used to consider sort of the quote unquote Occupy Wall Street position on that. And I say that specifically because I remember when the Occupy website cited the Bosnian War as like another example of rapacious US intervention in imperialism, where supposedly the genocide of Bosnian Muslims by Bostian Serbs only happened because of NATO bombing. And the more you look into that, they it's obviously not true, first of all, but second of all, their logic is, well, they only started killing them after the bombing happened and forced them closer into closer proximity with the Muslims. And if all it takes is a cursory look at some of the shit that Melosovich and his underlings were saying about the Bossian Muslims, to say nothing of the regional tensions that had existed at that point for going on fifty years, you know, well more than that really, just since the formation of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia. Like those ethnic tensions, they weren't ancient. That's another canard from that era, from the nineties. They weren't ancient hatreds, but they were old, they were multi generational, and there was a lot of unfinished business that it started in the nineteen twenties. So I'm assuming that's like that was like the sort of trajectory he was taking was like, oh, well, none of that stuff matters. It was only because America involved itself or NATO involved itself. Am I remembering that correctly?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I think that's that's directionally correct, right. But there's just there's all these at a fifty thousand foot view, they just is that if the US can be wrong, it's wrong, right, And if Russia, if Russia was aggrieved, Russia was aggrieved. That's that's kind of my takeaway having been two chapters through this. But there's just there's a number of claims that are incredibly problematic. Right, There's there's genocide denial or minimalism as it relates to as it relates to Srebenitza. There's uh, there's.
Speaker 2: Claim the lead of he's found the lead of Noam Chomsky.
Speaker 3: Then, yeah, Noam Chomsky who famously, by the way, and his and is published on the record on this denying the genocide in Cambodia and the killing fields as well at the time while it was happening.
Speaker 1: And even though people don't really care about that stuff, that stuff as much, it's worth mentioning. Also pals with Steve Bannon and Jeffrey Epstein, and it looks like so.
Speaker 3: There's there's a there's a there's just a lot of these. There's a lot of these minimalism, there's a lot of minimalism, a lot of denialism has related to this stuff. There's the claim that that the US support for the for the Bosnians or or he makes his sorry, he makes his claim basically saying that the actions of the US in Yugoslavia and then in Czechshniya uh and attacks against Saddam were basically the basis of bin Laden's grievances against the United States, and that the United States in a way then provoked nine to eleven, as opposed to it just being a flagrant act of unprovoked terrorism. And I go in part in a part two of Fields of Gold, Fields of Red, I dive into what bin Laden actually said, and his claim was that you know US forces in Iraq, he puts it, you know the land of the of the two Holy Mosques. He basically saw them as crusaders, right, and for that reason uses that as justification to leap frog to jihad, to leap frog to nine to eleven, when in reality, the Saudis invited the US there, right, I mean right, like the US army was there at the invitation of King Fod and Saddam actually briefly in January of ninety one, beginning of end of January, beginning of February invaded Saudi Arabia for a hot second. He actually took They took the city of Kafji, occupied it and then were pushed out by coalition forces. And so all of this context, similar to you know, my critique of Cooper, there's a lot of context there behind these stories that's missing. And again you have to ask the question why.
Speaker 2: Which we will get to in a second.
Speaker 1: But there is something that we've kind of we've referenced it a couple times. The issue of citations in Horton's case seems to be the opposite of Cooper's issues and with citation, because.
Speaker 2: Again, he loves to bring it up.
Speaker 1: I mean, I remember I've seen him, on two separate occasions bring up the fact that his book has over eight thousand citations. And you pointed out earlier that many of these citations are things that don't always stand up to scrutiny because in some cases they don't even seem to exist anymore because they're broken links or whatever. So I guess, yeah, That's what I'm wondering is, how would you characterize the overuse of sources or citations in contrast to the misuser outright neglective sources and citations in works like this?
Speaker 2: And to what extent are all those methods of a.
Speaker 1: Piece in your opinion ext I personally, I see it as all kind of like different methodology towards the same end, if that makes sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I would say that, you know, and again this is only my second series, but I would say that Cooper Cooper sometimes sources sometimes doesn't, which then puts you on that scavenger hunt chase that I was kind of referring to earlier. Horton does use a lot of sources, and to you know, to his credit, a lot of them are are fine. Right. There's there's references to you know NSA archive documents, you know, unclassified documentation, academic papers, or you know, thought pieces from historians or regional experts. There's there's a lot in there that is perfectly fine. There's also some stuff in there, like esoteric blogs from people that are kind of engaging in you know, apology of Melosovich and stuff like that. Websites that haven't been updated since the nineties. Those are few and far between, but they're in there. And then, as I said, you know, there are there are some articles that are just deadlinks that you can't really fact check because the source doesn't exist and you can't really see it on wayback Machine or Internet arts or anything like that. So, you know, I don't really take issue as much with his sourcing, although as again, as I said, some of them are a little bit out there. But I do think that the way that he interprets those sources is what's really an issue.
Speaker 2: Okay, gotcha.
Speaker 1: So so it's more on him in this particular case than on the use of sources because sometimes when I because you know, obviously I'm biased in this direction because I've been stuck reading academic books for so long, but generally speaking, they don't really go overboard with footnotes. With a large number of footnotes and sources, I mean, each chapter usually has anywhere from of like a you know, like an academic history book, each chapter has anywhere from around seventy to two hundred and fifty.
Speaker 2: Sources, which is a lot, for sure.
Speaker 1: But at the same time, when you're seeing a non academic book be flush with hundreds thousands of sources, like more than you usually see in an academic book or a non academic book, it feels like some game of obfuscation is going on. That's just my suspicion. I have not even looked at Horton's book. I have way less of a dog in that fight, obviously. I guess what I'm saying is when I see too many or too few sources, I tend to have the same reaction of something's not right here.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I guess I'm maybe I'm just asking for some reassurance here, am I like, am I seeing something that isn't there? When I see that kind of thing?
Speaker 3: So look, there are hundreds of footnotes per chapter, and I say this in the series, right, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. If he wants to lean on over sourcing. It's definitely more than I'm used to, which I think you've pointed out, which is correct given the more academic history books that one would read. I don't necessarily I tried to go into this and I'm going into each chapter with an open mind as to the sourcing. But there was one instance that actually Horton Horton tweeted at me or quote tweeted me again we have some kind of interaction on on X with this. It was it was very funny because there's a reference at the beginning of the book to I think he's talking about something in relation to the Middle East. He within the first five seconds of the book, he talks he talks a little bit about US foreign policy in the Middle East in likud or something which is clearly relevant to you know, the history of the Russo Ukrainian War. And the footnote for the claim is he wrote a book on the Middle East. I think it's called Enough already, and he refers to it in the footnote, and then there's an there's a link in the footnote to Amazon for the book, which I thought was incredible. And I actually called this out in the episode and on Twitter, and Horton clapped back and said, it's not there, and he took a picture of a hard copy of the book where the link isn't there. I'm using a digital version which does have it. And I posted a screenshot of it which which does have it. And I didn't get a response, but I found that to be definitely a highlight.
Speaker 1: It's well, I mean, yeah, that's an interesting thing too, because the idea of I always kind of smile when I see a historian site themselves like their previous work. There's nothing wrong with doing that, of course, and there's nothing wrong with advertising your own work either. But when you when you put a link in there to the Amazon page, that does feel kind of funny. That feels like something you would do more in like a like an opinion piece. You know, when you put hyperlinks in an opinion piece, that that always happens, you know, it just it does have kind of like a weird vibe to it.
Speaker 3: It was great. I was laughing a little bit when I when I stumbled across that. But that's a part of it, right. You got to you gotta look at the footnotes. You gotta see what are the sources that are being referred to here? And you know, are they do they really pass the smell test?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And I actually think I have it in my head a little bit of why. I think it's off putting when someone over uses in my opinion, it's just my opinion, but when I feel like sources are being overused, it's something that I had very strongly drilled into my head by my first professor my first semester.
Speaker 2: She was very harsh. She said, you're outsourcing your argument. Don't do that.
Speaker 1: And I was like, oh, okay, And that basically means make your argument and stand by it, use evidence of course to support it, but don't outsource it. And I think in a sense what I'm picking up on and maybe it's unfair. Again, I have not read provoked, but it reminds me of what Tucker Carlson has been doing lately, where he's essentially outsourcing his own arguments to weird radicals of all stripes. He can therefore say, well, I'm not saying this, that's my terrible Tucker Carlson impression. But it's like, I'm not saying this, but these people seem to think this, and it's like, yeah, well you are saying it though, because you're not pushing back, you're getting them to say something.
Speaker 2: That you won't yourself say or assert. Though.
Speaker 1: I think he's becoming a little looser with what he's willing to assert at this point. But the point being is that that's sort of what I feel when I see someone oversight. I feel like what they're trying to do is saying is say without saying I'm not saying this. All these experts are saying this, this appeal to authority, which I noted. I remember you you noted that it's like appealing to authority in order to make it clear that.
Speaker 2: You're not the one just saying this. These people are saying this thing that I'm just suggesting. Do you see what I'm getting at here?
Speaker 3: It's kind of a week I do.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think I think that that might certainly be I think I think that that certainly might be a part of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, well, it's also a question of, you know, if you're gonna if you're going to have all of those citations, you know, does anybody actually have the time to read thousands and thousands of pages of material to back up the justification for those footnotes. So let me let me give you an example. In part two of Fields of Gold, Fields of Red, Horton refers to this OSCE report on on Kosovo. And I actually pulled up the report. It's nearly seven hundred and fifty pages. And in the context of that report, Horton mentions it briefly and he says, the OSSE report said that there wasn't a finding of ethnic cleansing in Kosovo. And so I went into the report and you know, command after control, a f depending on you have my macro windows, whatever ethnic cleansing, and lo and behold, it's certainly in the report, in the section on sexual violence, ethnic cleansing did occur, right, And so I say that in the episode, I say, you know, did Horton read this report?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: He's saying something that is just clearly incorrect if you actually take the time to review the report. That he's referring to. And that goes for any of these people, you know, Horton or otherwise that are referencing or over referencing as you would put it, or just using academic sources that are clearly fine, but maybe their reading of it is a little bit slanted because maybe they haven't really given it the time of day that they actually need to to really inform the points or the arguments that they're making in their work or their output.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, and that's something I know we didn't really touch on too much, but that's something that Daryl was doing a lot and fear and loath than in the New Jerusalem, where he was like taking stuff from perfectly find great sources like tom segives one palaestin complete anymore.
Speaker 2: As his righteous victims.
Speaker 1: Those are the only two secondary sources I can remember that he actually openly cited.
Speaker 2: But again it's been a while.
Speaker 1: But he would like take quotes, but he would leave out certain parts of them or skip certain parts of them to get to another point in a way that changes the meaning of what the actual quote does. And in a sense, that's actually another thing that I'll say for Darryl.
Speaker 2: He's very good at that. That's a very hard thing to do.
Speaker 1: I mean, I've been judicious with the quotes that you use when you're doing this kind of long form podcasting. I struggle with that all the time because sometimes there's a big block quote and it doesn't make sense to say the whole thing. So I want to cut stuff, and I do. I cut stuff out sometimes, but I have to be very careful that what I'm cutting out is not cutting out crucial context, because sometimes somebody is talking about something very specific, or they make a very specific reference, but what they're talking about is very broad, if that makes sense, And I think if you're trying to get to the gist of what the subject is saying, you don't want to cut out the specific example that they might give if that example is really what they're talking about. But you know, making that judgment is is very hard, is what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it that does make sense. But you know, there and there are many examples of in some of the work that I've done covering the series of you know, maybe context missing or quotes being truncated or not not necessarily referred to accurately. And I think that's certainly a part of it. You know, there's this one example, and we again you know, talked about chasing down sources, where Cooper refers to this Nazi racial scientist. He doesn't say where the quote's from or who it is, and it's it's Hans Gunther, who is as basically this Nazi genesis that you may be familiar with, and he's he basically refers to him. He and you know, Cooper does this throughout the series where he basically he always refers to Zionism adjacent to other, as he puts it, other radical ideologies like Bolshevism and Nazism to basically infer or imply guilt by association. He does this repeatedly throughout the series. But he basically says, well, you know, even Nazi racial scientists, and again I'm paraphrasing here, we're fond of or thought thought that Zionism had some kind of legitimacy because it basically separated the Jews from from Europe, from the from the Reich. And he refers to a quote from Hans Gunther where if you actually read the full quote, it's clear that Gunther isn't endorsing Zionism. If anything, it's very clear that the Nazis saw the ones that commented on this saw Zionism as a means to an end of step one, get the Jews out of Europe. Step two, have them congregate in a single place, and then step three when we get there, which we will after we defeat the British in North Africa, kill them once they're congregated, and it makes our job much easier in the end. And there's a lot of evidence for that, right. There was the formation of the Early Stages einzot Scrup in Egypt that was going to basically go into the Middle East to kill all the Jews in Palestine in the Mandate if they made it.
Speaker 1: There, right, And that was also a very weird, underbaked scheme that Hajja Mein al Husseini had his fingerprints on, and it just turned into like a very small commando unit and they didn't do very much ultimately. But again, I mean, I don't want to spoil anything for anyone who hasn't listened to it yet, and I wouldn't blame you because it's six hours and eighteen minutes long. But I found some very compelling, circumstantial evidence that Haja Means ambitions for the Hanshar division was to get them to go to Palestine, to the Mandate after they were done in Bosnia, because there was a memo that gutt Lauburger submitted that or I think was submitted to Guttlaberger, the second in command of the SS of Offen SS, in which what Haja Mean was proposing was reported on, and what he was proposing was pacifying the Bossian region and then afterward other actions. What the hell else could he possibly have had in mind? Is how I put it in my episode for the Handshar a waffen SS division, very well trained, very well equipped at that point, early on twenty three thousand strong.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think we can.
Speaker 1: I don't think we really need to do too much dot connecting, as you like to say.
Speaker 2: There's smoke there. There's a lot of smoke there.
Speaker 3: I think. Well, I mean, people don't really know this, but I mean the first and second battles of l Alamane were months apart in nineteen forty two, and in Palestine there was panic, right, I mean, the Germans were in Egypt right for a brief period of time, and that panicked people in Palestine. Because you know, they knew what was happening in Europe obviously. And I mean again, you know, the formation of this as you put it, this very early stages Einzat's commando group for Egypt, which obviously never really came to be in full in full bore because they didn't take over Palestine or Egypt for that matter, is I think indicative of what what the plans were.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely, And that's something that Matthias Kunsel I believe really helped demonstrate in his most recent book. Again, that's something that unless you're really deep into this subject or as autistic as you and I you're, people are probably not going to be reading that stuff. But it's you know, it's important to talk about it, and it's you know, and it's a complete context as well. And and yeah, I think what you brought up to with Daryl citation of this guy, I'm sorry if I derailed you there. I just but you know, this is my wheelhouse when it comes to Haja means, so I tend to just like jump in whenever there's a reason to bring him up. But yeah, like it rings also of how people love to bring up the Havita agreement to describe how, oh, well, the Nazis were actually Zionists. Well, they, as you said, it's a means to an end. And on top of that, if you look at anything said by people I think up to Adolf Hitler himself, maybe you can correct me on that they saw Zionism as an existential threat to be dealt with because a Jewish state was the last thing that they wanted. They just didn't want Jews in their country. Sure, but they didn't want Jews to have a country at all. They just didn't want them to be So, yeah, if you had anything else to say on that subject, on Daryl citation of that eugenicist and add to what I just said there, please do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, the Havara Agreement is something I mean, you see this in the Twitter sphere, low level discourse back and forth. I mean, it's.
Speaker 2: Always yesterday, I saw it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's always an it's always an order of operations question. It's right, It's like, okay, So thevar agreements existed, and you know, I think a couple tens of thousands of Jews escaped, and then what happened, right? What happened after that? What happened after the you know, the Nazis invaded Poland and you know, Britain and France declared war on them, and then millions of Jews were killed. That piece is never kind of a part of the equation, which I find very interesting to say.
Speaker 1: The least or all you got to even just point out too, is what did those tens of thousands? Will say, I don't remember what the actual number was of Jews who escaped Germany and got to Palestine. What did they have to do in return? What did they come to Palestine with? Oh, they clothes on their backs. They gave up everything. That's that's not exactly a fair trade to get. I mean, like, if if all it was about was getting rid of them and giving them a home, then I would suspect they'd let them have some money.
Speaker 2: But no, it's not about that.
Speaker 1: Like that, I don't trust the people who bring up the Havre agreement unless it's out of just general historical interests. I just I rarely have time for them. I actually get really annoyed.
Speaker 2: At that part.
Speaker 3: Well, the other one, the other one that gets brought up is the Jewish embargo or you know, uh, what is it? The U, the boycott, the boycott of Nazi Germany in the aftermath, I believe of Crystal Knocht at the you know, the beginning stages of the Holocaust, as if you know, oh, look, the Jews deserved it because they refused to buy German products, and it was this Hodgepodge boycott that really didn't have a huge impact. I mean this, Remember, this is an industrializing Germany, building the Autobahn, ramping up wartime production, and and you know, eventually suffering economically for it, because there really wasn't any foundation upon which for them to be to be doing this. But you know, as if, as if some Jews in Brooklyn not purchasing you know, German strudel is going to have a serious impact on on Hitler's Third Reich rearming and reindustrializing. Right, It's just there's just so many holes in the story, and it just it really is just Swiss cheese at the end of the day.
Speaker 1: Well, and this is why it turns into denial or outright skepticism, because then when you make that point, they'll you can you know, they'll say well, you know, and then you can say, well, also, yeah, because of course those Polish and Soviet shteadl Jews.
Speaker 2: Oh all that.
Speaker 1: You know, that boycott really impacted them. They were really instrumental in that boycott while they were trying to streak together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, people people with no people, no functioning toilets, boycotting the German economy. Yeah, in in Bello, in Bella Rossa is really gonna have an impact there for sure.
Speaker 1: And because that is a very obvious and fair point that the vast majority of Jews that were killed by the Germans had little to i'd say zero power, negative power in anything when it came to world affairs. That's when denial starts to creep in, because that's all they have left when they make that argument, right exactly. Yeah, so so so I I And you know, honestly, we kind of that was just a really fun tangent there because I just I love nitpicking like that against deniers there. But I would be remiss if I didn't do my best to give your critics and and the ardent defenders of people like Darryl and Hort and just that generally speaking, I guess we can call him the paleoconservative or visionist camp that they inhabit they're due, so just to put words in their mouths. Is it not possible that you are simply giving their arguments, like Darryl's, Horton's, et cetera, the least charitable read And if not, why not?
Speaker 3: It's a good question. And I think that I think that there comes a point where volume is substantive in and of itself. So if you know, if you're going to look at a claim in isolation, right as an example, you know, we were referring to Horton's reference to this revenita not being a genocide or genocide, denialism or minimalism, whatever, whatever you want to label it, and you look at that in isolation, and he would to present a series of points and say, well, you know, here's why the tribunals were wrong and all of that stuff. And you can say, well, you know, I think he's a little bit off of his rocker here, but it's kind of a claim in isolation. But when you look at these series in the case of Cooper or books in the case of Horton, and you see these claims that are just again frankly, just revisionist, contrarian claims that really fly in the face of the well established evidentiary record all of the serious historians agree on. Again, you have to ask the question, why is this a trend, Where is this coming from? What is the motivation? Is it really that they believe that the evidence points in the contrary or in a contrary direction, or is the starting is the starting place for the Hortons and the Coopers of the world. The West is actually the bad guy, you know, imperialism, Western imperialism is the original sin, and it's from there that the narrative is then told. Right, And I think that there's a case to be made if you actually really pay attention to these series or these books, and you read them, and you look at the sources, and you do the research like you and I do, I think that there's a case to be made that that might be the starting point here, and then the rest is just a logical conclusion that naturally follows.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, that seems like a decent enough explanation, I would say. And I guess then at that point, if someone isn't convinced by that, that that's fine because they they're.
Speaker 2: Interpreting it differently.
Speaker 1: I mean, you or I can disagree with that, but I mean, I think that's a fair assessment on your part, And now this might be a little less fair for us to do or for you to do. I'm outsourcing this for you with my questions here, but I actually wrote this down. I called this a neo Buchananite universe. It seems to orbit around Tucker Carlson. That's what I like to sort of characterize this as. But I guess what I'm wondering here is what is the motivation? What are we talking about here? Like, to what extent do you think that these projects are informed by sincere ideological priors or do you think it's calculated and part of a far greater far right agit prop activist kind of project, or do you think it's just conspiracy theory, brain mental illness. I mean, I guess those are all possibilities in a lot of cases. But I guess really what those questions are leading to is a bigger question of what, like, ultimately, what end does this all serve? What does this unofficial crew of people hope to eventually achieve with all this, Because I don't think it's money, at least not in the case of Tucker Carlson. You know, air to the Swanson fortune and multimillionaire many times over from his independent work and work with Fox. I mean, so I don't think it's money. So I guess what I'm hoping for with all the possibility throughout there is could you maybe give a Steelman perspective on their efforts and then contrast that with maybe the least charitable interpretation, and then sort of way which one you see as the most likely.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's the million dollar question. I think. I think that's the really big question behind a lot of the claims that are made. And this really isn't just a Horton or Cooper question. I think it's a broader question when it comes to, you know, pop history revisionist claims. And I speak to this in episode zero a little bit. And I think that the motivations vary. Frankly, I think that, as you said, some people are probably motivated by clicks and eyeballs and ears and making a name for themselves because at the end of the day, you know, to keep the dopamine hit going, you need to keep ratching up the craziness and the claims, and that typically means, in the context of our conversation, more a historicity, more outlandish claims to really keep that audience flywheel going. So one could certainly be financial, absolutely. I think another could be that maybe people, as I said, want to shift and win hearts and minds, and obviously there's a financial overlap to that if you're able to build and retain an audience. But I think that if you're really looking at the present day and you're looking at these geopolitical flash points, the Ukrainees, the Israels, the Taiwan's of the world, I guess as of today Venezuela as well, we're recording this on January third, So I think that I think that if you can shift people's opinions on the past and you know, in the case of Ukraine, portray Russia as aggrieved in the case of you know, Israel Palestine, make that conflict seem very one sided in terms of who the aggrieved party is. In the case of Taiwan, you know, talk about one China, one China policy, et cetera. Right, you can basically justify actions that are taken in the present or in the future as it relates to those flash points, and then you can impact policy by convincing people to vote for individuals who believe the same things that you do as it relates to foreign policy or geopolitical flashpoints, if you can kind of shift and move the needle on what the history is. And so I think that's part of it too. And the third part that I speak to is there is absolutely a bad actor part to this, right, There are bad actors in the world today, nation states or organizations that are adjacent to nation states, that have financial resources to support influencers or historians. And you know, I don't point fingers at who this is or who might be doing that, because I certainly I don't have any evidence to say that that's happening. But I mean last or not last year. Now, in twenty twenty four, there was that whole issue with Tenant media where the Russians were kind of caught, you know, funneling to this influencer network. And so that was one instance in which that was caught, right, But think about all the instances in which you know that hasn't been caught, right, and it certainly is happening elsewhere, and you know, these nation state actors or adjacent actors certainly have the means to influence thought on a variety of these subjects because it's in their geopolitical interest to do so. And I think that's certainly a part of it. And there's kind of an overlap here between the pop historian influencer worlds and those those state actors as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and when stuff like that happens, it's I mean, as we saw with the Tenet media case. If I remember right, it wasn't just this. I mean, it was about as direct as it could get, but it's still relatively indirect. And most of these influencers didn't even think about where the money was coming from.
Speaker 2: They just took it.
Speaker 1: And you know, on that from a human perspective, I don't blame them. I mean, if you're being offered, you know, five hundred thousand dollars a week, you're not going to say no unless you are staking credibility on things, and you have to actually really start thinking about that.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that that has entered my mind as well. I mean, I and.
Speaker 1: Honestly, all those like possibilities I put out there, you know, like I said, outsourcing my argument, you know, they could they all can be true at once.
Speaker 2: And I think that's a big thing.
Speaker 1: I mean, like I for example, when I when I said mental illness, obviously, I think everybody probably thought the same thing. At least you probably did. I'm talking about Candice Owens mostly, but that's pretty obvious. But like, she's also very much an opportunistic person. She's very much in it for the money, in it for the influence. And I think that there's just like there is a psychological aspect to a cognitive bias aspect. I mean, I this doesn't explain the motive, but I've been using this diagnosis to describe people like, you know, like those in this Neol Buchanan, I Tucker Carlson Orbit for a while. And this thing I've been calling a masochistic chauvinism, where at least in this case, an American can feel and develop a deep, meaningful sense of moral pride about themselves and you know, our place in the world by centering the United States the same way a typical chauvinus does, but by framing us as the worst in the world rather than the best. And that recognition basically implies a high minded, self critical honesty and sophistication, and therefore heightened ability to recognize evil compared to those who look abroad for such forces, you know, those those neo cons they might say, they are wont to say these days. So yeah, I think that there is like it's fulfilling a need. I think at a certain level too, that's like the most sincere part.
Speaker 2: Of it, I would wager. I don't know what you think about that.
Speaker 3: Well, I think I think, you know, in Canice's case, and there's I mean, you see this all over the Twitter sphere I get, or the ex sphere I always I don't I don't even know what to call it these days, honestly, yea, yeah, I mean that's kind of just Israel Israel brain right, Like that's just like the the Israelis are the Charlie Kirk got shot. You know, the Israelis are behind it, right, like Israel's basically you know, you you wake up with a hangover, it's it's Israel's fault, right Like, that's kind of like a So I think it's I think that that's kind of taken to a certain extent, that's just totally insane. But I but I also think that they're you know, and again I'm not saying this is Candice, but I certainly think there are some people that are probably working with other folks who have a geopolitical incentive to trash talk the Israelis at every given turn, right. And you know, again, I don't know who those people are. You don't know who those people are, but I think just given what we saw with the Tenet media issue, there's there's probably there's probably more of that happening. And you know, you have certain individuals who, you know, you like Tucker as an example, who say, you know, I don't want to talk about Israel on my podcast, and then every episode it's it's basically an Israel episode, right, And so I think it's just it's just there's that, there's that there's that critique of Israel that is perfectly legitimate, as one would do of any nation state if you disagree with policy, or disagree with conduct in war, whatever. But then you have like this obsessive level aspect to it that some of these influencers or podcasters or whatever engage in. And it's it's just every single day, day in, day out, and you have to ask yourself, you know, like where is that coming from?
Speaker 1: And the thing is it's it's also nothing new. I mean, we saw you know, I my my concept that I just listed of the masochistic chauvinism. I I'm deriving that from a Swedish sociologist named Orin Adamson who talked about something about six or seven years ago that he called masochistic nationalism, where he was talking about it from the European perspective in the context of the migrant crisis, where I think like the thing that probably set him off was when I somebody in the Swedish government said something I think it was almost verbatim. It was to the effect of there's no such thing as Swedish culture, as if that was a point of pride, and and so he like really you know, went off on that saying like there's this psychological need being met by people who say such absurd things. But his point, and he cited or well or Well describe this notion and this phenomenon that we're talking about. Back during the lead up and into the Second World War, when he talked about negative and transferred nationalism, he was very keenly aware of how there were people who got excited when Germany, you know, like struck against Britain's allies because they.
Speaker 2: Didn't like what Britain was doing now.
Speaker 1: In Orwell's case, perhaps some of these people were Soviet sympathizers, because most communists and socialists were at that time. I don't think everyone was fully aware of what was going on yet. But the point is is that I think that there is this There is this trend at least within Western countries, at least i'll confine it to where I know it's within British and American history. There does seem to be this idea that we can do no right instead of we could do no wrong. And I think that that motivates a lot of people because it lets them feel good about themselves and allows them to make a name for themselves, because it makes them stand out and be interesting and unique in comparison to the typical you know, nationalists and chauvinists in the in the crowd, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 3: But it's gone to the point there where it's not even unique, right, There's just there's this whole ecosystem that's kind of orbiting around this stuff. This you know, anti anti Western historical revisionism, where the US and the West more generally with the capital W is is again the original sin for all of these geopolitical flash points, and it's just well, it's just it's just so it's so boring, now, right, you have this, you have this, It's it's day and day out, like I said, from Tucker, from Candace, from Dave Smith, from Horton, from Cooper, it's just from Meerscheimer from Sachs, right like, it's it's just yeah, pinschafter pin schafter punch, and you know, Goebbels always said if you're Peter Lie, often enough people start to believe it. And and there's there's probably now aspect of that to this, but it's not even this unique angle anymore. It's just this, it's just basically this often repeated trope at this point that everybody's jumped on the bandwagon for. And again, I think that there's a lot of people that have a vested interest in that being the telling of the history.
Speaker 1: Right yeah, I mean, and it's funny you say that it's like old at this point. I mean, what like tell to some I mean, you know, coming from someone myself who is very exposed to like you know, leftist spaces and has a lot of leftist friends, I mean, it's really old. I mean I've been hearing these arguments for decades at this point. I mean, we brought Chomsky earlier, he's kind of him and Howard Zinn and all these types that were popular in the seventies making a name for themselves then by basically saying West bad like yes, that's where all this stuff comes from. It's it's tiresome. But I do like to point out though, and I and I know you saw because we were talking about this at one point, I have been very taken with this seemingly what I'm the green Brown alliance that seems to be forming, however unofficially, because it really matches the sort of tenor and in a way motivation of how the Nazis, especially the more esoteric minded ones like Heinrich Himler, were so taken with Muslims and with Islam. They were orientalists in that regard, and it seems to be this kind of thing that comes up with much more radical reactionaries. They are searching for something they have nothing left to grab onto in their own culture, so they reach abroad and look for things that they really find fascinating and compelling that also might share their values because they can't find any support at home. At least for something so regressive as say theocracy, or cutting off people's hands or you know, veiling women and keeping them at home, things like that.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean, it's a Lawrence of Arabia level orientalism when it comes to this sometimes, right, it's falling in love with that which you surrounded yourself, which which is foreign. Because it goes back to what I was saying earlier. You know this, when it comes to the influencers and the pop historians, the esoteric being more alluring than the mundane. Right, It's about find in the case of Lawrence, finding yourself in the desert, right and falling in love with what you see there. And I think that's I think you hit the nail on the head. I think that's a very big part of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we'll see where it goes.
Speaker 1: I mean, I obviously I take a quite a bit of delight and you know, calling out this green brown alliance as I call it, just because it falls so directly in my wheelhouse. And I'm being very opportunistic in myself in this particular case. But at the same time, I do think it's very it's an interesting psychological phenomenon to a certain degree.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I guess I kind.
Speaker 1: Of wanted to, like, before we I wanted to wrap this all up where we talk about sort of the broad strokes of what you're doing and sort of what you and I have talked about, which is, you know, and we've touched on a little bit with the idea of peer review and fact checking and so forth. I guess like this is kind of a leading question because I think I know how you feel about it, but I think people should hear it.
Speaker 2: How much of a problem is a lack.
Speaker 1: Of peer review in this content creation space when it comes to things like history, philosophy, the humanities as you called it earlier. To what extent does it depend on the field itself, and to what extent does it depend on the claims being made as another distinction.
Speaker 2: I was curious if you had any thoughts on.
Speaker 3: It's a good question. I think that I think that part of the problem stems from the medium. Right, So when somebody publishes a paper, as an example, right, it's published in a journal and then peers take a look at it, and there are rebuttals or fact checks or corrections, And I think that what you see now is I mean the average person doesn't read a historical journal, right, But when you see how this information is disseminated through podcasting apps or through the internet or from whatever, a lot of people tune in and listen to that stuff. And there isn't a There isn't an academic corollary basically to the fact check in these different mediums, right, Horton, You could say it's a little bit different because he writes a book, but you know, in the case of Cooper is an example via podcast, there just isn't anything analogous to that. It just doesn't exist, right, And yeah, I think can't.
Speaker 1: Get someone's live debate, then at that point all you can do is really just do another podcast.
Speaker 3: Right, exactly right, And so I think that's that's the part of it. So I think that's a big part of it. And that's why I'm so I'm so adamant about the fact that you have to meet them where they're at in a medium that lends itself to digestibility from the audience's standpoint. So that's again, you know, long form podcast and taking it, breaking it down and providing quotes.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: One of the things that I say and I've said this on on Twitter, you know, and in some of my episodes. I don't want to tell anybody how to think about a conflict. I want them to take what I have to say, Take what Horton or Cooper or any other you know, influence or historian, et cetera, whatever label you want to say, Take what I say, take what they say, and make up your own mind. I'm just giving you information that I think is missing and context that should be there that isn't to better inform you to make up a decision on how you should feel about a conflict. And I think that's what it really comes down to. It's just giving people additional context and information that should be presented that unfortunately oftentimes isn't.
Speaker 2: Gotcha.
Speaker 1: So in the sense then it's it doesn't really depend on the field necessarily. I mean, I guess if you're well, okay, maybe it does in the sense that if somebody is like making medical claims like that, it might be a little more urgent to refute those things.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's I think it goes back to the binary aspect of the of the of the nature of what's being done right Like so in the case of meta in the surgery is successful, and the patient survives or isn't and it fails and maybe they die. Right in the case of a civil engineer, the bridge is built and it either stands or collapses, and again people probably die. But when it comes to this stuff, it's much more interpretive, narrative, rich.
Speaker 2: No immediate stakes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, exactly.
Speaker 2: Well, And I think the thing that I tend to it's funny.
Speaker 1: I tend to really butt heads, at least in my own head, I should say, because I have never spoken to him. But with people like Douglas Murray and people who I generally agree with in a lot of things, especially in this context, I do take issue when I hear them say this stuff is dangerous. And that's more because of my own political bias when it comes to things like free speech. I mean, I give Murray the benefit of being British, so he doesn't appreciate free speech in the same way I think as Ey as I do as a rock ribbed American.
Speaker 2: But I really do. I have such a strong.
Speaker 1: Aversion into the idea that any kind of speech is dangerous unless it's directly telling people to go hurt someone. I mean, I follow the Brandon burg standard in that sense, and maybe it's to a point of it being absurdly literal, but I just I feel like if we're not going to be doing that, then we should be just throwing in the towel and saying, fine, we don't actually have you know, we don't live up to the values that are implied, if not outright stated, by the First Amendment. Again that's my political bias, but I think what that means for me and for people who feel the same way as I do, is that we can't just rest on our laurels when someone makes a claim that we know, or at the very least believe to be untrue. Like this kind of gets us into something that I thought was really interesting. Another sort of challenge that I never really considered was what you're doing with your work seems to be refuting something that I always really loved that Christopher Hitchins said, where he said that what can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence, and that's always a this is such a witty bond maw, which is like what he's known for even to this day. But I also am starting to think that that's very rooted in dated twentieth century thinking. And granted he was also talking about religion something very specific, but he made it sound general.
Speaker 2: So there's that. But but I think.
Speaker 1: Now, especially you know, more than a quarter century in to this new century, information has become so democratized and stands to become even more individualized as technology improves. I just don't think that that viewpoint really works anymore, especially if you value.
Speaker 2: Free expression and free speech.
Speaker 1: So it also seems to be a problem for a lot of people who find conspiratorial thinking so corrosive as I think you and I do. And I think what I'm talking about is that there's actual experts being challenged or even dismissed, that these these people are not addressing the challenges to their expertise because they like they don't have to. We kind of talked about this a little bit before with we reference Coleman Hughes's conversation with Dave Smith, And obviously we're talking about what you've been doing for a while now, which I think is what you're doing, is you're challenging what has happened, and what's happened, in my opinion, is that we are seeing the creation of parallel worlds of reality, maybe not even parallel, just multiple worlds of reality. The multiverse theory, I guess, but apply to information. And I think when we start to speak to these contrary viewpoints on the contrarian's terms, that's the only thing we can do to bring these two realities or these multiple realities back together into one. It's incumbent upon the people who are the quote unquote defenders of the establishment, or just people who don't agree with the anti establishment narratives in particular that are coming out. So I guess I'm wondering what you think of that as like a sort of methodology for.
Speaker 2: Bringing things together, and.
Speaker 1: Or maybe it's just ask you, is that what you think you're doing, and to what extent do you think that that's a successful method or do you think there's another way that we can do that, And what challenges I think do we face as we try to force more reality into the conversation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's again a very good question. I think that you know it's this probably sounds a little bit trite, but I think it's it's always easier to destroy than to create. And I think when it comes to established historical narratives based and evidence as you said, anybody can flippantly say anything, right, Churchill was the chief villain of World War Two as an example, Right, And then it's it's then incumbent on the fact checker to say, well, actually you're wrong, and here's all the reasons why, here's the sources, here's the evidence that takes. That's a much more extensive exercise than just tweeting out Churchill was the chief villain of World War Two or saying it or you know whatever. And so I think that it's inherently the fact checkers or the peer reviewers are always going to be behind the eight ball because they are reactive to the comments that are being made that are a revisionist in nature. So I think that's that's an important thing to understand that you're operating from from behind the eight ball. Basically from the get go. My objective and again this is just me. This is my personal take on what I think I'm doing and how I'm approaching it. I'm trying to give people ammunition. Right. The best, the happiest that I am is when I'm you know, doing my thing and during the day I see somebody on X that's kind of getting into a back and forth with somebody about one of the subjects that I've already covered, and they'll say, well, actually, that claim isn't correct. You know, you should check out this episode of Crackpot History because he actually kind of deconstructs that claim. And so my fundamentally, it's it's all about giving people the ammunition both to better understand the context that I said, as I said before, is missing from a lot of the claims that are made in the content that I cover, but also being able to kind of use that as as something that they can spread themselves as a sword and a shield when it comes to confronting these claims directly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like that too, because I was going to point out that there are there's a lot of objections that I've heard people who you know, and to their credit, do not get involved in this stuff, are not as terminally online as you or I saying like, well, what's the point.
Speaker 2: Of debating these people?
Speaker 1: They're crazy or they'll you'll never convince them, or you'll never convince their followers.
Speaker 2: And I've gotten to the point where.
Speaker 1: I've I've kind of tried to make a concise rebuttal of that where I say it's not about convincing their followers. It's not about convincing them because you're never going to convince somebody that their belief is wrong. That's anybody who thought they were a pugnacious Christopher Hitchins want to be anti theist in their early twenties, realized that very quickly at Thanksgiving, you know what I mean, like with their religious family. But the point being is that what you're doing when you're doing when you when you're debunking this stuff is giving ammunition to those who are interacting with someone in that audience or just putting it out there so it's available as a counter narrative for someone to pick up and use later. It's it's just about like it's about not letting something go unchallenged. And then I hear people say, well, there's not there's more people in the believing camp than the non believing camp. Well yeah, but that that's always been the case. Like it doesn't it doesn't matter, Like having the stuff there is what matters in and of itself. And again it lives up to you know, like what I was saying before about the spirit of free expression. I I do think that there's something to be said for debating Holocaust deniers if you have the ability to do so, if you know enough.
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't agree.
Speaker 1: With you know, Deborah Lipstadt or any of these people who say that this shouldn't be adjudicated.
Speaker 2: It should be adjudicated.
Speaker 1: I agree that it probably should not have been adjudicated in a courtroom in terms of the principle when she went to trial with David Irving. But I'm not unhappy that it did, because it roundly and appropriately discredited him and revealed him to be the fraud that he was, and that in turn revealed him to be, you know that he was as a someone motivated by a deep seated hatred of Jews, so and love of the Nazis. So, I guess what I'm saying is I think just having it out there is the end and of itself. It's not about convincing already convinced followers, or disabusing people, or most condescendingly, deprogramming them.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean From a principled standpoint, I mean, that's what I believe, right, I think that. Look, I I just hit a thousand subs on YouTube, right, Darryl Cooper Scott Horton. I mean, these guys have hundreds of thousands.
Speaker 2: Of following Mine might be millions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, probably right, substack all that stuff, right, millions and millions of followers. But from a principled position, I agree with you, right, I'm doing this. I don't make money doing this. I do this because I think it needs to be done by somebody. You know, I have the I think, the knowledge, the understanding, the expertise to do it, and I think it just needs to exist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and honestly I might contradict myself a little bit too, but I mean it makes me think of, oh, what is that Hannah or Rent quote where she said that the ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction no longer exists. I think when you take that at face value, you can then see that there might be a little higher stakes involved in making sure that there is these punctures in the in widespread contrarian information that might not hold up to scrutiny, because if people don't know what's true, they're just going to give up. That's the argument, at least that a rent would make and And on the one hand, I think that there's I've read enough of funny enough of Czechoslovak history, especially during the rule of the Communists after the prog Spring, that the idea that they didn't know what was true in false is not true. There is actually a lot of descent inside there. Not just from you know, Charter seventy seven and all those people, but but just people were regular people, were fully aware that they're being lied to a lot of the time. So I think that we shouldn't overrate the individual's capacity to smell out bullshit. But at the same time, giving them tools to help them smell out that bullshit is a net positive for everybody, and it minimizes the amount of work they have to do that they might not otherwise do.
Speaker 3: Yes, So you know, I'm not I'm not gonna I'm not going to reveal any names here, but I okay, I had a couple. I had a couple fairly well known influencers that I respect their work, that have fairly large followings, that you would probably know by name, that reached out to me privately and just said, hey, you know, really really respect what you're doing, thank you for saving me the hour of needven needing to listen to to all that stuff. You really summarized it and kind of condensed it and made it more digestible for me, and I really appreciated it. And so that's kind of what the what the end objective for me is if I can take something that is rough around the edges, smooth it out, provide additional commentary, historical context and input, and provide more color so that the fuller picture is told. You know, I'm putting it out into the universe. How people use it or react to that or even believe it, you know, that's kind of that's kind of up to them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I yeah, And that does really feel good to like be reminded by people, especially people of some prominence, that that what you're doing is helpful in that sense too. I mean, I've gotten well, I've gotten plenty of a feed back on my own work from various perspectives and including more critical ones.
Speaker 2: Because of the praise I've given Daryl Cooper in the.
Speaker 1: Past, I started to get the dreaded how could you possibly be friends with or recommend this quote unquote neo Nazi, which I don't think he is one for the record, I just yeah, what I think of him does not really matter. The point is is, you know, I've gotten a lot of feedback from that and from all of that, and I do think that that can be very affirming and enlightening a lot of ways too, because it can let you believe, let you realize, like like what your impact actually is going to be, at least on a small scale. And that small scale is usually enough, whether it's positive or negative, to make you either keep doing what you're doing or maybe change what you're doing a little bit.
Speaker 2: Like in my case.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look, I mean, our our footprints are, as I said, much smaller compared to some of the folks that we're referring to here. So I'm my pro today is if I can better inform one person, if I can you know, better educate or provide additional context or color for one person, then I think that's a job well done, right. I just I'm trying to just be appreciative of the fact that people listen and people like what I'm putting out into the universe. And you know, there's a lot of creators out there that don't even have that right. They don't have a thousand followers. They don't have, you know, as many listens as I have on my podcast apps, and everything is contextual. And you know, as I said on Twitter when I thanked everybody for the thousand subs, I said, brick by brick, And that's really how I approach this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean, and yeah, somebody who's been doing this now for going on seven years, I can tell you that the only way to look at content creation in general is brick by brick. I think that there are people who think when someone blows up overnight, that that's going to be good, you know, for their product or for them. I you know, I have a bridge to sell them, you know what I mean. Like, I don't think it's good to like to suddenly blow up overnight. And I'm not saying anything about anyone in particular, no one that we've been talking about for a fair bit of this episode. But I'm just saying that that kind of thing can warp what you're doing, I guess, is what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: It can warp the purpose, It.
Speaker 1: Can mess with the incentives, and I think that's the big thing, And it can leave you open and vulnerable to people who want to exploit your talents for certain ends. And that's all I'll say about that. But because again it's you know, it's all speculation, and I don't want to be called it to famer. So anyway, I think the sort of big question I had for you that actually was the one I was the very first one I thought of. But I was like, there needs to be a lot more scaffolding before I ask him this. Where do we go from here when it comes to making the information space better? And I mean this in a more logistical sense because I like what we're saying. We're saying a lot of good stuff about the principle of peer review of fact checking. I would add that even though this is one weakness that actually I mentioned my partner Molly, who I've actually had on my show multiple times. We do a sub series of my show about weird little stories in history. But she and I were talking about this and I was saying, well, I would love it if crackpod History took my show on, you know, looked at what I'm doing, even though he and I align on a lot of stuff, and you know, you know, I think he's doing good work. You know, real peer review is on people you like as well as you don't like. But then she made a really good point, and this is to me a fair point, and this might speak to the problem with the medium. As you were saying before, that's not content.
Speaker 2: People like. People don't want to hear you critique.
Speaker 1: Something that you might think is good. Now I'm being presumptuous by saying you think my work is good. I'm just making the point that because I'm having you on my show, we're obviously compasetic to a degree.
Speaker 2: But I'm just saying the.
Speaker 1: Idea of like you reviewing stuff that you think more positively of than negatively of. People don't really like that as far as content goes. They want drama. As you said, the world turns an Internet drama. That's where I think that there is an issue that I can't possibly imagine how we overcome it, because the thing about the Internet is you got to give the people what they want to a certain degree, otherwise they'll find it somewhere else. So how do we get over or let me first ask do you agree with that way of looking at things or disagree with it?
Speaker 2: Or and or how do you think we overcome something like that?
Speaker 3: I think it's a good again, I keep saying, all these questions are good questions. I'm blowing too much sunshine and rainbows your ways an interviewer here, It's no, it's a fair point, right. But I think that when I look at who I'm covering, I think about maximizing impact, right, And so typically that's folks that have big followings, make very big and outlandish claims and trying to confront them directly because I know that the larger the following, the larger the potential impact. Right. And there is and you said this yourself, there is a drama aspect to this, right, People like people like drama. And the reality is that, you know, if you're fact checking somebody, even if it's a little bit more academic, which I think I would consider some of my stuff to be, the reality is that you're confronting them and that gets people going. Right. They kind of like it. They like the history, but they also like the fact that you're confronting somebody that they take issue with because of the historical claims that they're making. And I think that those two pieces when combined, not making it, you know, podcast brow slop level content, really making it about the history and doing the history and doing the legwork to tell good history, combining that with the drama aspect. I think that that is a powerful combination, frankly, and I think it's a bit it's it's you know, maybe I'm giving away too much of the secret sauce here, but I think that's part of the reason that. You know, when I speak to people and they say, hey, I really like the show, that's that's part of the reason that I hear. And then the broader question that you highlight is to you know, where we go from here. Again, you know, maybe this would be to my own disadvantage, but I think that I've seen a little bit more of my type of content, not the same, not identical, different format, different substantively in terms of how it's presented. But I've seen a little bit more of it since I've spoken to some of the noteworthier folks that have reached out to me, and they've kind of taken a slightly different approach to their model, but also adopted it into some of their content or some of the shows that they've launched or recently announced. And so I think that that's great, right, Like I'm not I'm not doing this for ego. Right, So the more the more that I see these claims being confronted or addressed or you know, as as I like to say, as I said before, more context being provided where it's needed. I think that's a net positive thing, right. I think that people want to hear good history, and when they there's there's a segment of people, as you as you said earlier, that hear this stuff and believe it and love it, and there's a segment of people that hear this stuff and think this is ridiculous. I wish somebody would confront this. And so I think it's a volume game because as I said before, this is the new thing. There's so many people doing this anti West, anti US, you know, Western imperialism is the original sin. Volume is a quality in and of itself. And I'm one person, I'm one show. I have a certain threshold in terms of capacity, so you know, I welcome other people doing the same thing in their own way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And and that's sort of what I was like thinking, because obviously, like a more systemic approach is a more effective approach when it comes to things like this.
Speaker 2: But obviously I would not want the state to have anything to do with this.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think, you know, that misses the point entirely, and it's probably even more dangerous as I think we kind of learned during COVID in various ways that the state should just not be involved in certain things when it comes to how information spreads.
Speaker 2: I mean, again again that's more of my political slant.
Speaker 1: That's my that's my again rock ribbed American view is that we shouldn't be you know, outsourcing our you know, credibility to state bodies. So and you know, Hollywood has been doing it for decades now, you know, to various degrees of success. But self policing, you know, of content is really I think the best way to do it. And I think if more people are adopting an approach that you're helping pioneer, that's good enough for me. I mean I've always thought like, okay, well there's there could always be like something that people submit their own like creators submit their own work to not before they release it. They can release it, but then they essentially say, hey, I'm also making this podcast episode I'm doing eligible for review on the just call it the Crackpot History review Board. I don't know, but something along those lines where people can like basically show that they are willing to have their work checked and that and of itself could be a way to, you know, at least foster some sense of credibility. Now, that could also become very easily corrupted, like anything does, especially when it involves self policing. But I just I feel like things like that are are just possible, like little things that can be done to help with the credibility. Because that was ultimately what prompted me at least to put out a very lengthy critique of Dare Girl's initial appearance on Tucker and his follow up responses for Mary and West. And it was a long essay. I wrote it in the span of about forty eight hours. I wrote it very quickly, but it was long and very detailed, and it's probably what I'm most proud of that I've ever written, because it was going through the receipts, so to speak, and it allowed me to, in my mind, maintain my own credibility to say, hey, I do recommend this guy. I do like this guy, but I think he is flagrantly wrong on this particular issue. And I've intensified that criticism a fair bit over the last year or so. But I really do think that maintaining credibility is something that I think is very important for individual creators because of the splash damage other creators can create.
Speaker 3: Well, you use the phrase crackpot history review boards. So if you can clone me or get me a team to do my editing for me, maybe one day. But my pipeline is absolutely full. But I love the idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, and and that's something that I honestly just.
Speaker 2: Came up with the idea. Now, so you can trademarket though, if you want to give you permission. But I think unless you have anything else you want to add, I think that's.
Speaker 1: Really all we have. I do think that we have. We've covered a lot of good ground here. I've made enough implications so my soul feels satisfied. So but yeah, you have anything else you want to add to what we've been discussing and also direct people to where your stuff is, where your where your Twitter presence is all that good stuff.
Speaker 3: Sure, well, yeah, thanks so much for having me. This has been a great conversation. If you want to find me online, you can find me on Twitter x crackpot hissed his t or just search for Crackpot History, I should come up and the series are available on my YouTube channel or wherever else you listen to your podcast Spotify, Apple Podcasts or anywhere else as well.
Speaker 2: Thank you again so much, man, it was good talking to you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks again for having me. If you get away with it, go get away with it. Why you can't shut up?
Speaker 1: Shoot?
Speaker 4: The modest, militant monatier and then may.
Speaker 1: Should all of them want you to follow them to the promised Land, Promised land.
Speaker 3: But do you know what the biggest rob problem is. Shoot?
Speaker 4: The problem is hellbody, nobody enough, not even bod e En. We all made our believe.
Speaker 2: Some of.
Speaker 3: Some true.
Speaker 4: None of them belong to you. So if you pa yourself in a long play, Shoot, I thank him about.
Speaker 1: Well, so there we have it. Thank you again for listening to this long conversation that I had with the host of Crackpot History, who I basically am just calling crackpot History because he does deign to stay anonymous, and I gotta respect him for that because it does put his work first. But thank you again for listening everybody. I hope you did enjoy that conversation, wide ranging as it was before we go. I want to give some shout outs to the people who have been supporting History Impossible at the Comrades and Friends level or above on Patreon, as well as the higher levels of support over on History Impossible dot Com where they are subscribers. These people include Bob Downing, Sam Graham, Greg Hunter, Brian Joy, So, Skip, Achaco, Molly Pan, John Pisano, Ana R PJ. Raider, Matthew m Rice, Philip Rice, Emily Schmidt, Pierre Vopuni, and as always Fu So. Thank you again everybody for supporting History Impossible or just for listening. Honestly, if you don't have it in your budget to support the show right now, just spreading the word about the show is enough to help. But if you do have the money, you want to throw my way show some love. That way help me deal with the ever increasing student debt on accumulating becoming a quote unquote real historian, that would help immensely as well. In terms of what we have coming up next, well, we don't really have anything scheduled yet, but we have some things cooking. And please subscribe to Historyimpossible dot com or to the History Impossible Patreon at any level to stay up to date on what comes next. A lot of stuff tends to get written before it gets turned into a podcast, but it's also where you get any updates that might be coming your way. So yes, thank you again for listening, and please stay tuned for the next episode of History Impossible.