Speaker 1: Wonder if prices will ever come down. Set up with the post war worlds, wanna get.
Speaker 2: Away from it all. We offer you Escape.
Speaker 1: You are standing at the edge of an enchanted grove, lured by a soft, caressing voice inviting you to destruction. You have nearly sold your soul to an ancient goddess from whom you must escape.
Speaker 3: Escape produced by William N. Ropesen and designed to free you from the four walls of today for a half hour of high adventure.
Speaker 1: To day, we escaped to the African vault and an enchanted shrine of great antiquity, as John Buckham told it in his Weird Story, a Grove of Ashtarots. We stumbled on to the place Lawson and I during the second day after we left Taquis. We travel on horseback some forty miles or so through typical African velt, lush and green, with plenty of game and good hunting. It was late afternoon when we topped a rise and saw before us a small plateau of such beauty that we both reined in and sat staring at it, not speaking for some moments. A tiny sparkling stream won the through the burdened meadow grasses, and at the edge of the plateau tumbled in a crystal.
Speaker 4: Waterfall down to the plain below.
Speaker 1: Graceful clumps of strange trees grew here and there, and bushes blazed in a riot of bloom. I'd seen nothing remotely like it in all the miles we'd come. It stood alone, droud and lovely, an alien island in a.
Speaker 5: Sea of tropic junks.
Speaker 1: Great heavens, John, and your whole life, have you ever seen anything like it? If some artists had design that plateau, placed every tree and bush by hand, it couldn't be any more perfect. It's it's almost weird, isn't it here? It shouldn't be here, It doesn't belong. But there isn't a plant growing over there that's like any we've seen in the rest of the jungle, or probably a difference in minerals in the soil, something of that kind mms. More than that, they're not even the same varieties.
Speaker 4: It's true that one grove standing alone there near the edge.
Speaker 1: I I've never seen trees that slender and fragile in the bark.
Speaker 4: It looks like silver velvet, silver velvet. H that's quite an idea, John, Hmm. Yes, I guess it isn't that anyway. Those doves seem to like it.
Speaker 1: They never stopped circling over that one particular grove, probably nesting there. A flock of white doves circling over the silver grove. But you know there's something vaguely familiar about that, Yes, there is, John, Can you make out some kind of a dark shape there through the trees, over to the center of the grove.
Speaker 6: Eh?
Speaker 4: Yes, come on, let's ride over and take a look him.
Speaker 1: No, h not not now?
Speaker 7: Huh?
Speaker 6: Why?
Speaker 1: I mean you'll have plenty of chance to see it later.
Speaker 4: What are you trying to say, John, I'm going to build.
Speaker 1: A home here, ah home out here in the middle of the jungle, miles from the road in from Tacky. I've got money enough and no one but me to spend it. I've always wanted to live in Africa, always, Lawson, or for the last five minutes.
Speaker 6: It doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: Somehow, even though I'd never seen it, I've dreamed of this spot all my life. I've got to live here. I want to live here, I mean, but so quickly, at least think it over. Third, No, I don't have to take it over. I know what has to be done, John. It's here that I've built my tabernacle. I couldn't understand Lawson giving into this sudden, foolish impulse. It wasn't like him, but there was nothing I could do. I left him at Tarquy the next day and returned to the matter of fact world of business in London. And it was three years before I saw him again, three years before I returned to Africa to find that he built a manor house in the jungle and equipped it with all the conveniences of the English country side, of which not the least was travels his butler's. May I be so bold to save mister Buckham.
Speaker 5: It's very good to see you again, sir.
Speaker 8: You bring a breath of old London out of this heathen foreign country.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you, Travis, it's good to see you again. This is something different from the old granite front on Grosvenor Square.
Speaker 4: Is indeed it is, sir, A great many things are different. Yes, mister Lawson's turned this jungle clearing into a paradise on earth.
Speaker 8: If your pardon me, sir, I think paradise is not quite the word.
Speaker 6: Hm hm, oh, Well, perhaps i'd better tell.
Speaker 1: The Master you've arrived, mister button, he's been lying down.
Speaker 5: Oh not ill hold, I'll tell him you're here.
Speaker 1: Sir Travers left the room and I waited alone, wondering at the strangeness of his manner. I finally decided it must be induced by homesickness.
Speaker 5: I looked about me, as impressed.
Speaker 1: By the austere magnificence of the library as I've been by the grounds outside. There was an imposing mental piece of that. It went in and on it was placed, an object elegantly fashioned of bellabester in the form of a half moon, was curiously carved with signs of the zodiac. There was something compelling, almost unearthly about it.
Speaker 5: Fascinated. I reached out my head.
Speaker 1: I should not touch that about you huh, oh, lawson, I didn't hear you come in. Oh yes, jah, oh fine loss and couldn't be better you.
Speaker 4: I wit it down.
Speaker 1: Wh yes, thank you, this wonderful thing again, oh man. Been wanting to get down here for the last three years.
Speaker 6: But you know how it is in London.
Speaker 4: Time gets away from you and the first thing you know, uh God, no, no, thank you.
Speaker 6: Not now.
Speaker 1: When I finally did get the chance, I couldn't even wait for an answer from you. I sent a while and then followed it right on down. Yes, surprise me of it. I haven't had a visitor here for the last two years.
Speaker 4: Oh, well, didn't that explains why Travis talked the way he did.
Speaker 5: I thought it must be.
Speaker 1: Well made travers talk the way he did. What did he say, Wilson, what's wrong with you?
Speaker 6: He didn't say anything.
Speaker 4: I'm afraid.
Speaker 1: Hi, I'm sorry, Chap. I haven't felt very well in last few days. Well that explains it, I say, at least you seem to be eating all right. You're actually getting a bit plump. Actually, I'm fat, gross, flabby and obscenely fat. Isn't that what you really mean?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 4: No, I was only joking.
Speaker 1: Never mind. Uh what do you think of the place?
Speaker 4: Chair place? Why?
Speaker 5: It's amazing.
Speaker 4: It's beautiful.
Speaker 1: No one could ever believe it without seeing it. I doubt if there's another place like it anywhere in the world. You're right about that. There isn't another list like it anywhere in the world.
Speaker 4: Oh that reminds me. I notice he left the grove as it was without bothering it.
Speaker 1: Tell me, did you ever find out what it was we saw that afternoon. Yes, John, I've found what it was. Well, John, I haven't overseer your name of mc jobson. Quite a competent man. I want you to leave with him in the morning, take a three or four day hunting trip. He knows the country. You'll find your plenty of game.
Speaker 4: Oh, but I I came here to see you.
Speaker 1: I'm fighting about a fever. Happens every so often. I'll be all right by the time you get back.
Speaker 4: Oh, now, wait a minute.
Speaker 1: If you're sick, I'm certainly not going to run what I tell you. Laws I'm sorry to talk this way, but I know what has to be done, all right, Lawson, whatever you say, good, settle it. Believe me, John, I know what's best for me. Yeah, I'm sure you do thing.
Speaker 2: John.
Speaker 1: That carving that sits on the matter, I must ask you not to touch.
Speaker 5: It, quite old.
Speaker 1: Rare, I should not like anything to happen to it.
Speaker 6: M that night, when I retired, I found.
Speaker 2: It impossible to sleep.
Speaker 1: I tossed fitfully, trying to think of some reason for the great change that came over my friend.
Speaker 5: In these pert three years. Drunk string actual sickness, ever.
Speaker 1: Physical or mental, no, none of them gave any complete answer. My windows looked out across to the turf, and I saw the grove of strange trees was based now in the moonlight by a soft, silvery haze.
Speaker 4: Even now in the middle of the night.
Speaker 1: The flock of doves circled in the air above it, gleaming white from wing and breast as they wheeled in the shads of moonlight.
Speaker 6: I dozed off, finally to wake up.
Speaker 1: Suddenly, in that brief hour before the first light of dawn, I happened to glance from the window, and in the fading moon glow saw a figure approaching the house. It drew nearer, and I thought it was Lawson, barefooted wearing a white dressing gar Shortly I heard his weary steps past.
Speaker 6: My door, and afterward the.
Speaker 1: House was silent. I lay there wide awake. Lawson had been coming from the direction of the grove.
Speaker 6: In at the button.
Speaker 4: Oh morning, m Jabson. Sit down now.
Speaker 8: In regard to that hunting trip we talked about her, I cannot see your choice of two or three.
Speaker 4: No, no, never mind, I'm not going on any hunting trips.
Speaker 8: That last might be decided.
Speaker 1: That was last night mcjobson. Tell me how long has mister Lawson been sick?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 8: It comes and goes, happens about once a month like this. He's not a man that he was when I first came here.
Speaker 4: Do you have any ideas about what might be the matter? Hi?
Speaker 6: Well, what are they?
Speaker 8: If I told you what was in my head, you'd think me that, why don't you wait until tomorrow?
Speaker 2: You won't need to ask. It's a full moon?
Speaker 5: Full moon?
Speaker 4: What does that have to do with it?
Speaker 8: You'll find it in the Bible. Read the eleventh chapter of the Second Book of Kings.
Speaker 6: I found the Bible in the library and summed.
Speaker 1: It open to the passage he's mentioned. I read through it once without understanding, and then one sentence seemed to leap up from the page. For Solomon went after Ashtaroth, the goddess of the Sidonian estra Chteroth, of course Asteroths, goddess of the ancient East, whose strange rituals held a dark fascination for the children of Israel over and over, during them away from their fierce prophets to worship at her shrines. The white doves of Ashtaroth circling the shrine of her silver grove right then the grove at the end of the turf must hide a lost shrine dedicated to her worship. What of Lassom did his blood carry one fraction from all Israel with the same ancient weakness to hear and answer the call of the goddess? Did he become an acolyte of Asteroth? What weird writes did he perform in the grove at night? And then I remember tonight the worship of Ashtaroth had always reached its climax on the night of the full moon. Lawson did not appear all day, And that evening after dinner mc jobson and I took up our watch on the dark peranda, looking into the windows of the library.
Speaker 5: We've been there at least an hour.
Speaker 8: And look, Lawson, you came into the library.
Speaker 2: I see him.
Speaker 4: Hey, what's he after?
Speaker 8: I suppose you want a little figure on the mantels.
Speaker 1: He watched him take the curved half moon of alabaster and slip it into the pocket of the road he was wearing.
Speaker 5: Then he turned and left the room.
Speaker 6: In a moment, he came out.
Speaker 1: The front door and walked off across the turf in the moonlight.
Speaker 5: He bestedda a bit of a stat and then follow it. No, he'd see us for sure in that moonlight. I do not think so.
Speaker 2: He did not look back.
Speaker 8: Now, sirs, there were ten of us.
Speaker 4: Following mc jobson.
Speaker 2: What is it all about?
Speaker 4: You've read the book?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, it's the ancient goddessess to us.
Speaker 6: But what is the ceremony?
Speaker 1: What does he do and what is it that made him the way he is?
Speaker 8: The ceremony he'll be seeing mister Buckan as to what has made him like he is.
Speaker 6: It does an.
Speaker 8: Evil thing, and all the while he knows it to be evil. It canna help himself, and he knows that too.
Speaker 5: Yes, I think I see what you mean. When that's been going. Now he's gone into the grove.
Speaker 1: We crossed the turf quickly and passed into the black and silver shadows of the moonlit grove, working our way carefully toward the center. The only sound at first was the piping of the doves circling high.
Speaker 5: Over the lacy branches above our heads.
Speaker 1: I saw as we approached that the center of the grove had been cleared to form a small circular arena, was covered with smooth turf, and standing in the middle of it was a cone of rock thirty feet high, a smooth, sharp tower of stone that pointed up toward the tops of the trees. And then I saw Lawson. He stood by the base of the conical tower, his arms uplifted, the symbol of the heat moon bound to his forehead, enchanting words with meanings I could not even guess.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 1: Lawson threw off his white robe and began a curious kind of dance, moving around the foot of the cone and a worn path beaten in the turf, the same path he must have followed many other nights before. He moved faster and faster, uttering now and again a wild cry.
Speaker 5: We stared, entranced at the circle of moonlight.
Speaker 1: And as he danced, a strange new sound slipped into my consciousness, an earthly melody that seemed to come from the tower, from the trees, or may perhaps have been born within my own mind, tricked by the magic fantasy of moonlight, shadows, and perhaps madness. It brought to me one vivid thought of the worm soft lips of an unseen goddess of lips incarnadine, whispering gently and sensuously across the reeds of a pen pipe. I stirred uneasily, felt the quickening of my pulse if I.
Speaker 8: Tried to resist that, mister Buckan, there's only a thing of evil coat and a pulse.
Speaker 1: Beauty my jobson murder felt it tour Then it was more than a trick of my own senses. Something in me thrilled to the core of the weird melody. I wanted to rush out and throw myself at the base of the stone tower, to dance as Lawson was doing, to spend all eternity in adoration and worship of the beauty of astral Oh, mister Buccan, do.
Speaker 8: What it's done to him, fight it.
Speaker 4: I'd fight it.
Speaker 1: I lost all knowledge of time. The dance had grown swifter and fiercer. The moonless figure and the clearing moved faster and faster, pasture, eating and gyrating in temper to the crazy rhythm.
Speaker 4: My blood was pounding in my throat.
Speaker 1: My ears ringing, the music searched for my brain, and ever mounting waves of.
Speaker 5: Incandent and sound.
Speaker 1: Now I was beyond reason, possessed by an overpowering crazy one.
Speaker 5: The cock crew.
Speaker 1: Then the grove was deathly still, and at the foot of the tower loss and ly unconscious.
Speaker 8: How is it, mister Bucken.
Speaker 5: He's lost a lot of blood.
Speaker 4: But I think of you, I'm good.
Speaker 8: It was a near thing.
Speaker 1: Travor's got a couple of sleeping tables in to him. Do not be waking up before tonight, at least mc jobson. I suppose you.
Speaker 6: Know what we have to do.
Speaker 8: I'm well aware of what should be done, sir, but I've no idea how.
Speaker 5: To do it.
Speaker 4: I think I do.
Speaker 1: I shall take full responsibility, but I'll need men or we can get.
Speaker 8: The natives will not go near the place. But there's some thirty white men under the back of arm a few miles back on the bush. But I what a highway, I'll pay it, just get them. Would you mind telling me what you're proposing to do?
Speaker 1: Yes, some things that may sound as mad as laws in himself. I'm going to deal with that grove the same way King Josiah.
Speaker 8: Did Ah compacted me vaguely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, here it is, and the high place places that were before Jerusalem, which Solomon, the King of Israel, had builded for Estra, the abomination of the Sidonian. Did the king defile and he brake in pieces the images and cut down the groves, both the altar and the high place. He braked down and burned the high place, and stamped it small to powder, and burned the grove.
Speaker 8: I test the worth of God. I need dynamite, but I have plenty of it down at the workshop. I'll go after the men first. We shall be ready to start by nine o'clock this morning.
Speaker 1: It was just past nine when we entered the grove, carrying axes and a couple of shotguns, and driving several teams of oxen.
Speaker 4: Light.
Speaker 1: Breeze had sprung up, and it whispered and rustled in the branches of the silver trees.
Speaker 5: We took care of the doves.
Speaker 1: First shot them one by one until we killed them all twenty seven, then piled their white bodies at the foot of the pointed rock. Then the men set to work, with the axes, chopping through the slender trunks of the trees. I stood by the stone tower, the high place of King Solomon, and watched while the work went aroung gradually, gradually, borne perhaps in the sighing wind.
Speaker 5: A strange bence. He crept into my mind.
Speaker 7: Oh no, please do please no.
Speaker 1: I then sid I could hear a voice coming from the tower, from the truth.
Speaker 5: This voice was soft, warm and pleading.
Speaker 7: Listen with your heart. Can the spirit within you not hear and feel?
Speaker 1: The heart of all sorrow was in that voice, and the soul of all loveliness, distantaneous with all the bodiless grace of a goddess older than time and desire.
Speaker 7: Please listen. I can not know that I am beautiful and once gone, am gone forever.
Speaker 1: I could not believe that I was imagining this soft and lovely voice. I felt a sudden and overpowering adoration for this exquisite creature who whispered in the breath of the wind. I wanted to call out to the men, order them to stop desecration of a home and sanctuary.
Speaker 5: Then I thought of Lsson, of what he'd become, and I fought back them plots.
Speaker 7: How can you judge who will soon listen? One who is part of the whole divinity of nature?
Speaker 6: No, no, I won't.
Speaker 1: I can't listen to happening, but one with the eyes of your heart, and.
Speaker 5: You'll belong to me wherever. No, please, No, you have killed.
Speaker 7: My doves, covered though white breast with blood.
Speaker 4: Are you not yet, sir?
Speaker 5: It's got to be done.
Speaker 6: It's got to be done.
Speaker 7: No, please, you could stop now and leave the high place. New trees would grow, other doves would come and nest in them.
Speaker 8: And I can't What do you say, mister Buckan, I couldn't quite hear you.
Speaker 5: M Oh, nothing, nothing at all.
Speaker 8: Well, I'm ready to put the dynamite around the tower here, if you'll move back a little way with Jobson.
Speaker 1: With Jobson, perhaps perhaps we could leave the tower. Maybe it's enough to clear the grove.
Speaker 8: There's not enough, the book says, as their children remember the altars.
Speaker 4: And the groves.
Speaker 6: But the green trees.
Speaker 8: Upon behind him.
Speaker 1: No good, mister, but he knew he did.
Speaker 8: The whites the wind, every last don't not be destroyed.
Speaker 7: He is a stone man and the crown man, and his words are vile with him. No, whoas this one last?
Speaker 4: No h like me, gentle, go ahead with it.
Speaker 2: He's the bus is a dynamite.
Speaker 4: Sauce together lays.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 7: Even now, it's not too late.
Speaker 5: I I walked away slowly.
Speaker 4: The piles of tree trunks were burning now, the smoke swirled in the wind.
Speaker 1: I would leave this place tonight, Yes, I would leave this place forever. Then write a note for Loosso, telling.
Speaker 4: Him of what I'd done.
Speaker 5: And I was very tired.
Speaker 7: Oh listen, while there's yet time the thing one time will never be undone, and one god I could never return.
Speaker 1: I I knew, I knew that my act, my reason told me all these things. I knew that this act that I'd committed had saved loss, had saved his life and perhaps his reason. And yet I wondered if I had been so doing, I was not driving from its very last refuge on earth, something that was so rare and lovely, If perhaps I was not destroying a very beautiful thing, very beautiful thing forever.
Speaker 4: Not no, please, don't please all her.
Speaker 7: No oh no, no, no.
Speaker 6: Silence, nothing but silence.
Speaker 5: And I heard the sweet voice no more, and my face was wet with tears.
Speaker 2: Escape.
Speaker 3: Produced by William N. Robeson, directed by Norman McDonald. Today Brought You the Grove of Ashtaroth by John Buccan, Adapted for radio by Les Crutchfield, with Paul Freeze as Buccan, Bill Conrad as Lawson, Ky Brinker is asht Roth, Raymond Lawrence is mcjobson, and Eric Snowden as Travers. Music was conceived by Side Fewer with Eddie Dunsteader at the Consoles.
Speaker 2: Next week, when you are.
Speaker 1: Tired from working all week, when the week end offers little diversion. Next week, at this time, when you have problems seem just too much for you, we offer you.
Speaker 2: Escape.
Speaker 3: Next week we bring you another exciting story of high adventure. This is CBS, where ninety nine million people gather every week the Columbia Broadcasting System