Speaker 1: Another Roberty Callahan's story of historic Indian trails told by the.
Speaker 2: Old Trapper.
Speaker 1: Well folks.
Speaker 3: The Old Trappers story is about real Indians who play and dance with rattlesnakes. The snake dance is held each year in the desert foothills of Arizona.
Speaker 1: The village.
Speaker 3: Mud made houses are two and three stories high. The buildings are over a thousand years old. On the days of these dances, five to ten thousand Indians climb crudely made ladders, creep over roofs, or peep out of odd shaped windows to see that no white spectator takes a picture of the ceremony. Well, we're going to guide you now to the historic snake dance country in Arizona.
Speaker 4: My oh, my, I never saw so many Indians. Where in the world do they all come from?
Speaker 1: Where they come from? Over thirty tribes man, see you know them fellows who were there were in the red beaded bends and blue breeches, blue shirts and supports their neighborhoods.
Speaker 4: Oh, who are those in the brown buckskins? Fringed and beat it.
Speaker 2: Along the trouser scene whirl?
Speaker 1: They are a patches way down in the southern part of Arizona. They look kind of wild too, don't they?
Speaker 4: I should say? So? Who are those in the white buckskins? An orange scar?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: Then over there those are Zooni pottery makers.
Speaker 4: What have they got on their heads?
Speaker 1: Well, they have painted water jars on their heads. And nancy, you know, just back of them, those funny looking fellas or Karawas Oklahoma. They sure do like fancy feathers, bells and color.
Speaker 4: Why well, there must be two hundred eagle feathers in their headgear.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 1: And they're the best dancers of the Karwah nation.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 1: I want to tell you none of the Indians wear the same kind of costumes. Some of them look alike, but all Indian costumes are quite different.
Speaker 2: Who's not what woy?
Speaker 1: That's a sunrise called the thunderbird. It's a call for the envelope gods to here. Here they come?
Speaker 4: Now, Well I never thought this funny costumes?
Speaker 1: Yes, their head jerry is made out of corn stalks and coonskin. The brown skirt they wear is a painted gunnyshack. And you see each man is holding a good rattler.
Speaker 4: But what are they shake them? From?
Speaker 1: Where they are native hoopy boxes or what they call the hopie box music hount as the inlack gods take. Just stand here the keisha the dancers will appear.
Speaker 2: What's the why?
Speaker 1: That's what they keep the snakes in.
Speaker 4: Well, how did the snake dancers dress?
Speaker 1: Well, Nancer, they paint their bodies. They're brown black. They put white spots on the shoulder, arms, and chest, and they hang a coon tail to the waistbands.
Speaker 4: Do they wear any clothing at all?
Speaker 6: Nope?
Speaker 1: New did a new born jump? Look here the snake dancers come down.
Speaker 4: Oh big song insteads wrapping a snake around his neck.
Speaker 6: That's terrible.
Speaker 4: Who would buy him?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 1: Maybe so, maybe not. But that ain't nothing, Nancy. You know some of them during ins out here in Arizona will be holding a snake between their teeth pretty soon.
Speaker 6: You see.
Speaker 1: Indians are good to any kind of a snake. A matter of fact, a snake won't bother nobody if the people don't bother them. Don't do that, Nancy. Don't ever use a kodak out here. Oh no, don't ever do that.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: Any person who takes this picture here will have the kodak torn to pieces, and sometimes the fella is thrown into a dungeon and kept there without food the water for a whole week.
Speaker 4: Oh oh, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 1: Don't ever try that again. Nsay, keep your Kodak at home. It's a good thing they didn't see you do that.
Speaker 4: All right, Uncle Luke, I won't do it anymore.
Speaker 1: Look the dancers on.
Speaker 6: Look, what do you say, Nancy, I heard you?
Speaker 4: How long do they dance?
Speaker 1: Or they dance until they feel all evil spirits are gone?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 1: Then four women out there from the crowd come in a little later, and they pour a corn meal on the ground to form a cloud effect on which all the snakes are dumped into one big pie. Then four leading dancers will punge their hands into their wriggling death dealing snakes, and they will wrapped two or three around their neck and two or three around each arm. And then they dash from the plaza where they go. Well, one man will go north, another will go west, and one will go south, and still another will go eat you know, this is tradition among the Hope Indians. They go way out into the canyon or sandy war somewhere, and here they turn the snakes loose, and then they offer prayer, and then they come back to the village, believing, of course, that the cows will form and rain will come, and as a matter of fact, all the hope Indians will have peace and plenty for another year.
Speaker 3: Round and round the dancer's golf, holding a snake by the tail, neck, head, or body. One big fellow has dropped his snake its started crawling toward the audience.
Speaker 1: A white woman has faded.
Speaker 3: One young Indian is finding pleasure and wrapping a hissing, wriggling reptile around his neck. Another has wrapped his body with boor snakes and a red tongue is kissing a song of death. A few inches from the dancer's.
Speaker 5: Face, who's.
Speaker 3: One dancer full of fully eighty years old, is swinging a huge six foot snake over his head. Now he is turning to the audience, and he's holding the dog on thing in his teeth. A few feet from where I stand, a little boy on only seven years of age, the only surviving member of his tribe, is carrying a rattlesnake larger than his own arm, and he's handling it like a Christmas toy. I've never seen anything like this in my life.
Speaker 4: What is the real reason for the dance? Ouklouk?
Speaker 1: Well, the snake dance Nancy is a deep and solemn perferen and it is given every year out here in Arizona in appreciation for the gathering crop. According to history, nine times out of ten, their faith in the Indian God is fulfilled. Listen, it is the end.
Speaker 3: Of a perfect day in Hobi Land, Arizona.
Speaker 1: Oh your friends, Uh, that's the kind of dances that do out here in Arizona every year. I hope you end the story, and I hope you will you tune in when we give another story. This is old trapper sing farewell, just as the Indian would do. Yo Ho Yo Ho
Speaker 6: Sh