Speaker 1: Okay, let's unpack this. We're diving deep into machine learning today, but maybe not in the way you'd expect. We're skipping the basic code tutorials. Our mission really is twofold. First, clear up that fuzzy line between AI and mL. Second, and this is the big one, expose what might be the hardest part of building these models. Hint, it's probably not the coding. And then we'll look at some high level tools, specifically the IBM Watson suite that aim to sort of shortcut all that complexity.
Speaker 2: Sound good, sounds great, And yeah, starting with that AI versus mL distinction as well. It's essential people use them interchangeably all the time, but they're really not the same thing. AI Artificial intelligence. That's the really big umbrella term, right. It covers anytime a machine does something we normally think requires intelligence to achieve a goal.
Speaker 1: Okay, so, like think way back a simple tic tac toe game programmed with fixed rules. If it plays to win based on those rules, that's AI exactly.
Speaker 2: It's following programmed instructions to simulate intelligence. It's not learning, just executing. Machine learning or mL is different. It's a subset of AI. This is where the system actually improves its performance on a task without being explicitly programmed for every single step.
Speaker 1: Ah. So instead of programming the if this then that for tick tak.
Speaker 2: Toe right, you'd feed it, say, thousands of recorded games, just the data, and the mL algorithm itself works out the patterns, the statistics of what moves lead to wins or losses. It basically builds its own strategy, its own sort of functional equation from experience.
Speaker 1: And Underlying these algorithms are some core mathematical ideas. We hear terms like linear regression.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the classic YMX plus C just finding the best line through data points, simple but powerful.
Speaker 1: Or things like support vector machines. Those sound more complex.
Speaker 2: They are. Sbms are really good when the boundary between your data categories isn't a straight line. I think complex patterns are spotting outliers.
Speaker 1: And knear's neighbor. That sounds more intuitive it is.
Speaker 2: Conceptually. kNN is unsupervised, means it doesn't need pre labeled answers. It just looks at a new data point and classifies it based on well what its nearest neighbors are in the data space. Simple distance calculation.
Speaker 1: Essentially, so the common thread is math. They all need numerical inputs to crunch the numbers and find that equation.
Speaker 2: Precisely, they're sophisticated calculators at their core, and that numerical need leads us right into the thick of it.
Speaker 1: Right Here's where it gets, as you said, really interesting, because if the algorithm is the calculator, the data is the fuel. And everything we've looked at suggests coding the model. Choosing the algorithm, that's often the easier.
Speaker 2: Part, oh absolutely far easier data preparation and something called feature engineering. That's where the real time sink is. That's the hardest part, easily.
Speaker 1: That seems counterintuitive. Why is wrangling the data so much harder than building the prediction engine itself?
Speaker 2: Because real world data is messy, it's incomplete, it's inconsistent, it's often in the wrong format. The algorithms, like those calculators are actually quite robust once they have clean input, but they are incredibly picky about getting that clean input. The complexity is in taming the chaos before the math starts.
Speaker 1: Okay, walk us through that taming process. What are the key headaches the terms a learner really needs to grasp.
Speaker 2: Well, First up, is just inspection. You load the data, maybe using a tool like pandas and Python, and you look at it. You'd use functions like say DF dot info to check for missing value. See that non n all count. If it's less than your total rows, you've got gaps.
Speaker 1: And you kid just leave gaps key Nope.
Speaker 2: The math breaks down. So you have to decide do I fill them in maybe using filnella with the average value of that column, or do I just drop those roads entirely. That's a judgment call.
Speaker 1: Okay, so handling missing data. What else?
Speaker 2: Then there's accessing the specific data you need, the features or columns. You might use methods like DF dot lock or just DF column name like DF population. And crucially, you often need to normalize or scale features. If one feature is age from zero to one hundred and another is income from zero to millions, the income scale could totally dominate the learning process. Just because the numbers are bigger, you need to bring them to a comparable scale.
Speaker 1: Makes sense, But then you hit what you call the language barrier, the fact that models only speak math exactly.
Speaker 2: What do you do with categorical data, things like color names red, blue, green, or maybe city names or product types. These aren't numbers.
Speaker 1: You can't just assign red one, blue, two green three.
Speaker 2: Right, You absolutely cannot, because the algorithm would interpret that as green being somehow three times as much as red, or blue being more than red. It imposes a false mathematical relationship that doesn't exist.
Speaker 1: So that data is useless unless you transform it.
Speaker 2: Completely useless to the algorithm in its raw state. This is where we need a technique called one hot in coding.
Speaker 1: One hot in coding. Okay, how does that work? It's clever.
Speaker 2: Actually, instead of one column with red, blue, green, you create three new columns. Maybe is red as blue as green? For a row that was red, the ies red column gets a one, and the other two you get a zero. For a blue row is blue gets one, others get zero. Now you have purely numerical data, just zeros and ones representing the categories, but without that fake ordering problem. The algorithm can handle that.
Speaker 1: Got it? So lots of cleaning, filling, gaps, scaling, and this one hot encoding for categories. That sounds like a lot of steps.
Speaker 2: It is, and it requires careful thought at each stage. Get it wrong and your model's predictions will be meaningless. No matter how sophisticated the algorithm is.
Speaker 1: Okay. So let's say we've done all that, the data is pristine numerical. How does the model actually learn the best coefficients those A values in the equation one dollars plus a one by one plus dollars.
Speaker 2: It learns through well trial and error, lots of it, very quickly. It starts with random guesses for those coefficients the A values. It makes a prediction using those random values. Then it compares its prediction to the actual known answer in the training data. It calculates how wrong it was using something called a loss function. A common one is means squared error or MSE. It just measures the average square difference between prediction.
Speaker 1: And reality, so it measures the OUCH.
Speaker 2: Pretty much, and the goal is to minimize that OUCH. Based on the error, the model slightly adjusts its coefficients in the direction that should reduce the error.
Speaker 1: Next time.
Speaker 2: It does this over and over again, making predictions, calculating error adjusting coefficients each full pass through the entire data set. Doing this is called an.
Speaker 1: Epoch, and it just keeps doing airbox until the error is as low as.
Speaker 2: Possible, or until the error stops improving significantly. Yeah, it's basically finding the coefficient values that best fit the patterns in the data by minimizing that loss function.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense, which brings us to evaluating the model once it's trained. Metrics matter you called it, and you mentioned earlier. If I brag about ninety five percent accuracy, you might be suspicious. Why isn't high accuracy good?
Speaker 2: It can be, but it can also be incredibly misleading, especially with what we call skewed data sets.
Speaker 1: Skewed meaning unbalanced.
Speaker 2: Exactly. Imagine you're trying to detect a rare disease that only affects one percent of the population. A lazy model could just predict no disease for absolutely everyone. It would be wrong one percent of the time, but right ninety nine percent of the time, so ninety nine percent accuracy.
Speaker 1: So it would be completely useless. It never finds the actual disease cases precisely.
Speaker 2: That's why simple accuracy fails on skewed data. It doesn't tell you if the model is good at finding the thing you actually.
Speaker 1: Care about, So we need smarter metrics. You mentioned precision, and recall these involve true positives false positives all that.
Speaker 2: Yes, the confusion matrix terms tp tn fp fm true positive, true negative, false positive false negative. Precision asks of all the times the model predicted something was positive, like disease found how many times was it actually right? The formula is ttp, tp plus fp lesh. It's about minimizing the false positives predicting something that isn't there.
Speaker 1: Okay. So precision is about the accuracy of the positive predictions. What about recall?
Speaker 2: Recall, which is also called sensitivity or true positive rate, asks a different question of all the things that actually were positive in the real data, how many did the model successfully find? The formula is tp tp plus fn double. It's about minimizing false negatives, missing things you should have found.
Speaker 1: Ah, Okay, minimizing false positives precision versus minimizing false negatives recall, and I guess you can't always maximize both.
Speaker 2: Often there's a trade off. Tuning a model to be extremely precise might make it miss some actual positive cases lower recall. Tuning for extremely high recall might mean you get more false alarms lower precision.
Speaker 1: And the right balance depends entirely on the consequences of getting it wrong. Do you give us those examples again? They were really clear?
Speaker 2: Sure? Let's take tumor prediction. What's the worst kind of error there?
Speaker 1: A false positive, right, telling a healthy patient they have cancer. That's psychologically devastating and leads to unnecessary, potentially harmful treatments.
Speaker 2: Exactly. So in that case you need extremely high precision. You want to be very very sure when you say cancer. You might tolerate slightly lower recall, meaning you might miss a few tumors initially a false negative, because hopefully follow up tests or screenings will catch those later. The cost of a false positive is just too high.
Speaker 1: Okay, high precision for tumors. Now flip it. What about say, detecting shoplifters in the store security feed?
Speaker 2: Right, what's the worst error there?
Speaker 1: A false negative missing someone who is shoplifting the store, losers merchandise, the crime goes.
Speaker 2: Unaddressed, precisely, So here you need high recall. You want to catch as many actual incidents as possible. You might tolerate a few false positives and maybe flagging an innocent shopper occasionally who then gets quickly cleared by security. That's annoying for the customer, sure, but it's often seen as less costly than letting actual theft happen repeatedly. High recall is the priority.
Speaker 1: That really drives it home. It's not just about the math, it's about the real world impact of different kinds of errors. So tools like psych learns, precision recall curve, we're looking at ROC curves and AUC scores. They help you find that sweet spot exactly.
Speaker 2: They visualize the trade off and help you choose a model threshold that balances precision and recall appropriately for your specific problem. There's no single best score. It depends on the context.
Speaker 1: Which is a great transition. We've talked about the pain of data prep the nuances of metrics. Now let's talk about making it easier.
Speaker 2: Yes, knowledge is great, but applying it efficiently is key. Given how much manual effort goes into cleaning, tuning, and testing, Let's look at the tools designed to abstract that away. The IBM Watson suite is a prime example.
Speaker 1: Here, right the automation aspect, Let's start with optimizing the model itself. Traditionally, after data cleaning, you face this huge task of trying different models right decision trees, random forests, boosted trees.
Speaker 2: Dozens of them potentially, and for each model type you have to do hyper parameter tuning hyper parameters.
Speaker 1: Those are the knobs and dials inside the algorithm itself, like how deep a decision tree should grow max depth, or how many trees a random forest should use.
Speaker 2: Estimators exactly, and finding the best combination of these settings is crucial for performance. The traditional way is often brute force, like grid search cross validation. You define a grid of possible values for each hyper parameter, and the computer systematically tries every single combination. It can take hours, even days, depending on the data and the model complexity.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that sounds incredibly tedious and computationally expensive. How does something like AUTOAI shortcut this?
Speaker 2: AUTOAI is designed specifically for this structured data optimization problem. It's pretty remarkable. You essentially give it your clean data set, tell which column you want to predict, like medium house value or MEDV, and a housing data set, and then it just goes. It analyzes the data, It intelligently selects and applies data transformations. It builds multiple candidate pipelines using various algorithms. It performs sophisticated hyperparameter optimization automatically, far beyond simple grid search, and then it ranks all all the tested pipelines based on metrics relevant to your problem, like RMSC root means squared error.
Speaker 1: And the key part is you don't write the modeling code.
Speaker 2: Not a single line for the model training and tuning part. It automates what used to be weeks of a data scientist's iterative work, presenting you with the best performing models ready to go.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, that tackles structured tabular data. But what about the really messy stuff unstructured text images? We know? Traditional natural language processing NLP is a beast. You have to scrape text clean it, filter out common stop words like the and A, convert words to numbers using complex methods like word embedding. It's a whole field in itself, it really is.
Speaker 2: Building a good NLP pipeline from scratch can take months or even years of specialized effort. This is where something like Watson Discovery comes in. It aims to bypass almost all of that initial heavy lifting for text analysis.
Speaker 1: How so, what does it do?
Speaker 2: It provides powerful preprocessing out of the box, things like optical character recognition OCR to pull text from scanned documents, automatic text extraction from various file types. But the real magic is in the enrichments. Instead of you training a model for months just to recognize names or places, Discovery comes pre loaded with enrichment's like entity extraction, finding people, companies' locations, concept tagging, identifying key ideas, sentiment analysis, positive negative, tone, and more. You get deep insights almost instantly, So.
Speaker 1: It's like having a pre trained NLP expert ready to analyze huge volumes of documents.
Speaker 2: That's a good way to put it. And you can query these analyzed collections using the Discovery Query Language or DQL. You use simple operators like dot for an exact match or boff for contains to pinpoint specific information across potentially millions of documents without writing complex and LP code.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's text. What about images?
Speaker 2: Simpler idea very similar principle with Watson Visual recognition. Image analysis, especially using deep learning, is another complex field. Visual recognition offers pre built capabilities. You can use it for image classification, like telling the difference between a photo of a husky and a photo of a beagle, or for object detection finding and maybe even counting specific things within an image, like identifying all the cars or people in a street scene. Again, it abstracts away the need to build and train those complex deep learning models yourself.
Speaker 1: It seems like a recurring theme abstracting the complexity of the underlying mL. It's such a one more automation piece building chatbots or conversational interfaces with what it's an assistant? How does that simplify things?
Speaker 2: It uses a fairly intuitive structure. You define the user's intents what they're trying to achieve, often marked with a hash like halftag order pizza. Then you define entities the specific pieces of information relevant to those intents, marked within at like at pizza size or at topping.
Speaker 1: So intent is the goal, entity is the detail. How do they connect through dialogues?
Speaker 2: You build a flow chart essentially that defines the conversation. If the user expresses the hashtag order pizza intent, the dialogue might then ask for the site at pizza size and at topping entities.
Speaker 1: How does it remember what the user already said, Like if I say I want a large pizza and then later say pepperoni.
Speaker 2: That's handled by features like slots and context variables. Slots are defined within an intent to make sure the bot gathers all necessary entities if it needs size and topping, and you only gave the size A slot can prompt for the topping. Context variables are like the bot's short term memory. It can store the fact that pizza size lurgs in a context variable. So when you just say pepperoni, it knows you mean pepperoni for the large pizza you're already mentioned. It maintains the state of the conversation.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've got these powerful, often automated ways to build specialized mL models and services using tools like Watson, AUTOAI for structured data, discovery for text, visual recognition for images, Assistant for conversations. So what does this all mean? How do these things actually get used? How do we move from these tools to a live application?
Speaker 2: Good question. You need to get them into a production environment where users or other systems can interact with them. A common approach is to build a back end application, maybe using a Python web framework like flask. This flask app acts as a middleman. It receives requests maybe from a web page or mobile app, figures out what needs to happen, calls the relevant walks in API like discovery or assistant, gets the result and sends it.
Speaker 1: Back and deploying that Flask gap is that complex too, it.
Speaker 2: Can be, but platform as a service offerings like IBM Cloud with Cloud Foundry really simplify it. Often it's as simple as navigating to your project directory and the command line and typing CF push. The platform handles provisioning servers, load balancing, all the infrastructure stuff. It can be incredibly fast.
Speaker 1: So the path to production can be streamlined too. Are there other useful utility services that often plug into these systems? You mentioned a couple, Yeah, A couple.
Speaker 2: Of really useful ones come to mind. First, the Tone Analyzer. This service specifically analyzes texts, but not just for what is said, but how it's said. It uses NLP to detect emotional and language tones, well kind of tones. It breaks them down. They're emotional tones, things like anger, fear, joy sadness, and then language tones analytical, tentative, confident.
Speaker 1: I could see how that would be useful, like monitoring customer support chats or reviews.
Speaker 2: Absolutely understanding the tone helps companies gauge customer sentiment, identify urgent issues, or even tailor responses dynamically. And the other utility, text to speech or TTS, exactly the kind of technology needed to voice a script like this one. Actually, it takes written text and converts it into natural sounding speech. Modern TTS services offer various high quality voices different languages, and you can even customize the output using SSML. That's Speech Synthesis Markup Language. It lets you control pronunciation, pauses, emphasis, pitch, making the synthesized speech sound much less robotic.
Speaker 1: Right bringing it full circle. So to recap, we've seen that while algorithms are key, the real bear in mL is often data preparation and feature engineering. We learn that simple accuracy can lie, and we need metrics like precision and recall balance carefully based on the real world consequences of errors. And then we saw how suites like IBM Watson provide powerful shortcuts AUTOAI for optimizing models on structured data without coding, Discovery and visual recognition for extracting insights from unstructured text and images, and assistant for building conversational interfaces.
Speaker 2: Plus utilities like tone analyzer and text to speech to add further capabilities, all deployable relatively easily via cloud platforms.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you the listener should now have a much clearer picture of both the deep challenges in mL, data quality, metric choice, and also the sophisticated tools emerging to automate and abstract away a lot of that complexity.
Speaker 2: And we saw specifically how tools like AUTOAI can take over complex tasks like model selection and hyper parameter tuning, things that used to be purely the domain of the expert coder. Which leads to, I think a really interesting final thought for you to chew on. As these incredibly powerful tools increasingly automate the how now, the coding, the tuning, the model selection itself, where should the modern data learner focus their energy next? Is the most valuable skill becoming in even deeper mastery of the underlying code and mathematics, or is it shifting towards mastering the data itself, its quality, its nuances, its preparation, and ultimately the interpretation of what the automated tools tell us. Where does the essential human expertise lie now? Something to think about