Speaker 1: In this episode, we look at the latest recruitment exam controversy in Sharkhand that has raised questions about the credibility of the state's selection process. We also take a look at Union Minister Bhagirat Chadri, who has returned a ninety nine lakh rupee subsidy received under a scheme administered by his own ministry, raising concerns about conflicts of interest. But first we talk about concerns over individual privacy that have emerged during the CJP protests. Hi, I'm Acha Sharma and you're listening to three things. The Indian Express new show. A pil has now been filed in the Delhi High Court challenging the use of a permanent surveillance star and high tech police vans equipped with facial recognition technology to monitor protesters at Juntarmant. The petition, fire by former Jawaharlal Naheru Students' Union president Ice Coach, argues that this amounted to continuous, indiscriminate and intrusive surveillance. So to understand the kind of surveillance protesters were subjected to during the recent protest in Delhi and what the law says about it, Michaelagueharaka Nanda speaks to the Undian expresses Vineed Pala, who writes on law for the newspaper.
Speaker 2: So we need tell us about the kind of AI and facial recognition technology that was installed at Junermantar and what was it able to do.
Speaker 3: So the allegation is that there is a mobile surveillance van there which is called Iktioner. This van is fitted with cameras that provide a three sixty degree field of view that runs live footage through an AI aided facial recognition software. Now, what this software does is that it maps the faces of the people in the crowd and then compares them against a police database of known offenders. And if the system finds a match, and the police has allegedly said that an eighty percent similarity is a positive match, it flags the individual. So this is the kind of surveillance that Coach is flagging in her petition and so.
Speaker 2: On what grounds has hosts challenged this and what does she find most concerning about it?
Speaker 3: The main concern is that this surveillance is completely arbitrary and it lacks any legal safeguards. Sosts petition argues that the police are collecting and storing personal data of the protesters without telling and even why it's being collected, without telling anyone who has access to it or how long it will be kept. So, as I said, the police are using this to intimidate students by telling, by threatening to expose their participation to their families and their colleges. Apart from this, the petition also highlights a very particular impact on female protesters. What it says is that during heavy rains, when there was no shelter, women were forced to stay in drenched clothes to continue the protest, and the police allegedly kept recording them. Cotious petition argues that this recording them in such a vulnerable physical state is a violation of their dignity and bodily privacy, and this is why they've asked the High courte to intervene.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: So what are the key legal and constitutional questions the quote will have to decide in this case.
Speaker 3: So a coach has raised the question of three intersecting fundamental rights, which is the right to equality, the right to free speech and peaceful assembly, and the right to privacy and dignity. Equality is guaranteed by Article fourteen. Free speech and peaceful assembly by Article nineteen to one, and privacy and dignity by Article twenty one. The biggest landmark here is the Supreme Courts, or rather the biggest legal standard here is the Supreme Courts twenty seventeen Putaswami judgment, which held privacy to be a fundamental right. That judgment established a triple test for state surveillance. That is, a state's intervention or infringement of the right to privacy, so that can be allowed only if it is a backed by a valid law, b serves a legtimate state interest, and c is a proportionate response to whatever that state interest is. Gosh has argued that this surveillance by the police it fails all three tests. And on the other end, the government has argued that this kind of videography is a standard law and order measure. Last week, during the hearing of this in High Court, the Solicitor General had actually told the court that claiming privacy in a public gathering is ironical because the protesters themselves are recording videos. So yeah, those are the questions that the court will have to decide, and.
Speaker 2: We need what kind of an impact can such surveillance have? On people's right to protest to what extent can discourage people from showing up for protests.
Speaker 3: That is the central argument in the petition. It says that this kind of surveillance has a chilling effect on people's right to protest, which is to say that people will choose not to go to the protest, even if they're legally allowed to do it, because they fear that the state will profile them and they will then face disciplinary action in college or they will deal with police scrutiny later in life. So this is what the petition argues. That such kind of a chilling effect makes citizens stay at home out of fear and undermines their freedom of speech and assembly.
Speaker 2: But does India currently have a clear legal framework governing the use of facial recognition technology.
Speaker 3: It doesn't. Actually, we have a massive regulatory vacuum in that space right now. We did pass the Digital Personal Data Protection Act a few years back, but the problem is that law grants very wide exemptions to government and law enforcement agencies. As a result, there are no clear guidelines on how the police can use facial recognition technology and how is that data to be then stored by the police. There are also no rules on where they retain this footage, who accesses it, and what are the consequences of any misuser leaks. And this is what the petition argues that without any independent oversight, the police have unfettered discretion, which makes the survey in gentlemen the arbitrary as well as opaque.
Speaker 2: Now, looking ahead, if the court rules either way, what president could it set for surveillance in other public spaces across in there.
Speaker 3: So, if the High Court upholds the surveillance, then it will give law enforcement agencies across the country a carte blanche to deploy this kind of facial recognition and technology and AI cameras at any public gathering or any protest without needing a specific legal order or warrant. And this would I think be a step in the direction of what we see in China, where you have normalized almost algorithmic policing. On the other hand, if the court rules in favor of the petition, then it could force the Indian government to finally establish strict procedural safeguards for this kind of surveillance, and I think that would be a good step for digital liberties and.
Speaker 2: We need if we talk on broader terms how should India balance public security with citizens privacy and the right to dissent.
Speaker 3: It's a tough balance, but other countries have already I think, done a good job of it right. So if we look at the European Union for example, it passed the Artificial Intelligence Act recently, under which the use of real time facial recognition technology by the police in public spaces is banned, with very strictly defined exceptions like searching for a missing child or preventing an imminent terrorist attack. And even then the police need prior authorization from an independent authority or from a judge. So we could look at a similar framework, and I think we need a legal framework which follows the guidelines established in the Putaswami judgment, which ensure that surveillances targeted, proportionate and subject to judicial oversight, rather than leaving it entirely to the discussion of the police underground.
Speaker 1: And next we take a look at jark Hunt, where another recruitment exam controversy has put the state's Public Service Commission under scrutiny. The latest row is around the fourteenth Combined Civil Services Examination conducted by the Jharkhan Public Service Commission or JPSC. After the preliminary results were declared, candidates raised questions over alleged discrepancies in the way the exam was conducted. After the matter came to light, the CID raided the residents of former Chief Secretary and JPSC chairperson El Kan, who has now resigned, and arrested several people, including JPSC officials and employees linked to the private agency that helped conduct the exam. But this is not just about one exam. Since Jharkan was formed in two thousand, almost every major GPSC recruitment has faced allegations. So what exactly triggered the latest controversy and why has Jharkan's recruitment system faced such repeated issues. To understand this, we're joined by the inn expresses shub Humptiga Shubum. We know this is in the first JPSC controversy. In fact, you highlight how this has become almost a recurring pattern over the last two decades. Talk about why does almost every major recruitment examined har Khan seem to end in allegations of irregularities.
Speaker 5: See, that's actually the bigger story we need to understand. So whenever we see any either regularity, scam or controversy in Jharkhan. So the bigger question is where did it actually start? So I always try to find out the origin of the controversy or any scam. So Jarkan was formed in two thousand and if we go back and try to find the starting point of these controversies, so.
Speaker 4: You will realize that there is no clear origin point of any controversy.
Speaker 5: If you'll trace the history of fourteenth GPSC controversy that recently it's going on, so you will eventually reach the first and second GPSC examinations where the CBI investigation is still going on and trial is still continuing. Even that isn't really the beginning. Before Jharkan was created, this region was part of Behart and there were controversies there as well, So honestly, it's difficult to say where it all begins. This isn't just about the recent issue. So almost every major GPSC examination in Sharkan's history you will see from first to now, I think all of the GPS exams, recruitment exams have faced some kind of controversy, whether it's about revised result uns, a key disputes, interview, or anything reservation issue, anything, quote cases and all. So something or the other kept coming up. So for many experience, this latest controversy doesn't feel like an exception, but it's a huge one now and it feels like a continuation of a pattern that's been there for more than two decades now.
Speaker 1: And so what has triggered this recent controversy?
Speaker 5: So I think it all started after the preliminary test result of fourteenth the JPSC exam, which is officially called the Combined Civil Service Examination here.
Speaker 4: So the first.
Speaker 5: Issue was that the Commission did not release the category wise cutoff MARS. So now that's important because we need to understand that it's important for any experience because once a candidate who knows the cutoff, they can roughly estimate whether he or she'll qualify for the main's exam or not, and if they think they have a chance, they will immediately start preparing for the mains joint coaching or begin answer writing practices. So, since the cutoff was not released, candidates started question.
Speaker 4: In the overall process.
Speaker 5: And then the second issue was the merit list. So some candidates I think pointed out that it didn't carry the signature of the Commission's GPS constitutional members and recently, in response, the GPS chairperson, while he was responding to this question to media, he talked about something Commissions two thousand and two rules or guidelines, so he cited those guidelines and said that those signatures of members actually were not mandatory. And then the controversy really intensified when the reportedly one OMR sheet of a candidate from another state started circulating on social media.
Speaker 4: So in that candidates OMR sheet, the candidate.
Speaker 5: Had actually qualified despite attempting very fewer questions required to qualify the exam. So that sparked widespread discussions and debate, and now the protests among his parents. So eventually, as the protests or the discussions grew and pressure mounted, the state government directed the CID to investigate the matter.
Speaker 1: So Shuaman, at the stage what has actually been verified by investigators and what still remains only an allegation.
Speaker 5: We cannot make that distinction between the verified and the allegation. But what we know for sure is that the CID has registered a case, formed an sit and carried out rates at the GPSC former office and the GPS chairperson's residence as well, and arrested some several people. So these include GPS staff, the examination controller, and people linked to the private agency that was given the responsibility to conduct the exam. So those are the verified development we know and the artists have happened that we know, and this investigation is officially underway, and the agency's involvement in the examination is also almost established.
Speaker 4: But beyond that, the investigation is still going on.
Speaker 5: One of the major allegations is that the GPS chairperson knew about the concerns regarding the private agency and still allowed it to continue. That has not been verified yet. But the CIDs is still questioning those who have been arrested and it is also interogating the formal GPS chairperson. So the CID has not reached any final conclusion yet. That's why it's important not to treat every allegation as an established fact. We'll have to wait and see what the investigation finally reveals.
Speaker 1: And you spoke of the concerns about the private agency conducting the examination, and we understand that it had reportedly been blacklisted earlier, So how did it end up conducting one of Jharkhan's biggest recruitment exams?
Speaker 5: So this agency was actually blacklisted by the Jharkan government itself last year May by the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission or jsc SO. JSSE had black lily did this company for non compliance with its agreement and the same company was blacklisted in Uttar Padesh and other estates. But despite all that, it was later given the responsibility of conducting one of Jharkan's important exam. Now, if we go by what the former GPSC chairperson told the media, he said he had no idea that the company had been blacklisted. And that's a very i mean vague answer and naturally it has raised even more questions. So candidates and opposition parties are asking how a company with that background was entrusted with such an important examination. And the CID is also looking into the role of the agency along with the role of GPSC officials. And there's one more important point here. In January this year, a person from Karanataka, he wrote a formal complain letter to GPS chairperson this year complaining about the irregularities involving this agency, this private agency. And when the letter surfaced everywhere on social media recently after the investigation started by the CID. So when the chairperson was asked about it by the media, he said that he generally response to complaints and the GPS often address the issues or the concerns coming from anyone. But he was saying that it's possible that this particular complaint was not properly looked into or may have been overlooked.
Speaker 1: That was his response, right, And investigators now say one into which will Abhetivari is at the center of the investigation, talk about why has his alleged rule become so significant.
Speaker 5: So Abbatari or Manostivari is at the center of the investigation because according to the CID, he is one of the key links in the entire case. Now we have no idea how CID directly went to Abbativari, or it might be possible that CID may have asked the chairperson and chairperson might have given the name of Abbetiari because there was a complaint letter submitted by someone from Karnataka recently, so that might be the reason how Abbatiari entered into the scene. So, according to the investigators, this person Abativari, he cleared the jsc cgial examination and became a block supply officer in GODA district and at the same time, they say that he was also working as the marketing manager of this private testing agency that like now based agency. So in the complaint letter that we discussed earlier, his name was specifically mentioned along with two other names, and that is one of the reasons why the investigation is now focusing so much on him. So the CID is also trying to find out his own recruitment history because it is said that he had also cleared four other exams government exams conducted by JPSC and JSC and his close family members also were in good position in government job.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So there are also allegations that he acted as a middleman by demanding money from candidates.
Speaker 4: So those allegations are still under investigation.
Speaker 5: But that's why this person of Ativari has become such an important person in this entire investigation.
Speaker 1: A shubam as someone who has been reporting on these discrepancies and how recurring they are. Talk about how exactly does someone manipulate a public recruitment examination, Like at what stages would you say such a system is actually vulnerable.
Speaker 5: See, the investigation is still in its initial phase, so it's very difficult for me to say exactly what happened in this particular case, but generally, if there's manipulation in a recruitment or something like this examination process, I think it can happen at different stages. If there isn't enough transparency, it's hard to pinpoint where things may have gone wrong. It could happen during the conduct of the examination, or while handling the OMR sheets, or during the evaluation process, or even while preparing and publishing the final results. One question that I personally have is who prepares the question papers in exam in Jharkan In many other states, as far as I know, for civil services examinations, that responsibility usually goes to professors from different universities from different fields. But if you look at question papers from several recruitment exams in Jharkhand over the years, you will find a lot of very basic and sealy mistakes. So that raises another serious question that who is actually preparing these papers and what kind of system is in place to ensure quality and accountability. So as far as this particular case is concerned, the investigators are looking into the role of the private agency as well as GPS officials to understand whether there were any lapses or not.
Speaker 1: But are these controversies unique to Sharkhun or do we see these across recruitment systems.
Speaker 4: No, I don't think so that this is very unique for Jharkhan.
Speaker 5: We have seen controversies over recruitment examinations in different parts of the country as well, even from Chattisgird, from Bihar and everywhere. Even Vapam scandal in I think Madhya prad Wapam scam in Chattisgird. But what's different in Sharkan is the consistency of this controversy series of controversies. So it almost feels like every major recruitment exam ends up facing some issue. So you will see allegations in JPS, you will see allegation INJSC against JSC. You will see controversies in teachers recruitment exam, sometime field worker exam. So take the recent example LIKEJSC fieldworker recruitment exam. So the vacancy came out in twenty twenty four, but the examination was conducted almost two years later, recently on July nineteen. So after the exam, when the Indian Express spoke to the gs C secretary, he said that around seventy five percent. Minded seventy five percent of the candidates didn't appear. One of the major reasons that many candidates couldn't give exam because they were allotted examination centers five hundred to six hundred to seven hundred kilometers away from where they live. So this was the major reason that around seventy five percent of students didn't appear for the exam. And then there was another controversy in the same exam. Tantal students complain that around forty percent of the questions in the Santali language in the second paper of that exam were not based on the class tense labors. They were claiming that the questions were more at the level of UPSC or a UGC NET. So these controversies are not unique to Tarken, but in Sharkan it seems to happen so frequently that unfortunately, many people have almost started accepting it as a normal. So it has become so normal in Sharkun that the controversy doesn't seem to be very unique.
Speaker 1: And Shubam, like you just highlighted, whenever an examination is questioned, the impact on candidates is grave. So for lacks of aspirits who have spent years preparing, what does that uncertainty actually mean?
Speaker 5: So for candidates, this is much bigger than just the one examination. Take the recent Jassy field worker examination itself. So around three to three point five leg candidate apply for a job that is essentially a field level health worker position. And that tells you how intense the competition is and how desperately a young people are waiting for the government jobs in Jarkun. So many of them spend years preparing. They put their careers, private job opportunities, and other plans on hold because they believe clearing one government examination can completely change their lives. So every time there's a controversy, recruitment gets delayed, courte cases began, investigation happens, and the frustration keeps increasing. And the iron is that Jarkun is one of the richest states in terms of natural disources mineral resources. It has cold iron, ore, steel and so much mineral wealth. But despite that, a huge number of young people still depend on government jobs because power d and unemployment remain the major issue in Sharkun. And now that frustation is becoming visible on the streets as well. We have seen student groups coming together and holding protest over GPS ANDSSE recruitments. In fact, today was the biggest protest in recent times. So the protesters today they said that they will continue their editation until the state government takes responsibility and addresses their concerns because ultimately both GPS and JSSE function under the state government under the CM.
Speaker 4: So this is no longer just about one exam.
Speaker 5: It's about people's trust in the entire recruitment system in different states. And I think this huge protest today that held in Rachi, I think that was also somewhere influenced by the enthusiasm of the students protesting in Delhi.
Speaker 4: So I think that comes from there.
Speaker 5: And now people here are also protesting and questioning the state government.
Speaker 1: And in the end we talk about Union Minister of State for Agriculture, Hagirat Chadri, who has returned a ninety nine lakh rupee subsidy that he received for a cucumber farm under a scheme administered by his own ministry. The subsidy was granted under a scheme promoting large scale commercial cultivation of selected vegetables and flowers. It covers up to fifty percent of a project's cost subject to a ceiling of one korre per family, as reported by the Indian expresses Harrikish and Sharma, The Center disclosed the repayment in a written response to Parliament, exactly one month after an Indian Express investigation revealed that Chadrii had received the subsidy through a National Horticulture Board scheme. Responding to a question from Tuinomul Congress MP Abishaik Banerji, Minister of State for Agriculture ramnah Tucker said Chawdrei had informed the government that he had refunded the money to the concerned bank. The bank has now been directed to return the amount to the National Horticulture Board. Chaudri's cucumber project covers more than sixteen thousand square meters and was among four hundred and sixty seven projects apar roofed by the Board in twenty twenty five. Records viewed by the Unen Express showed that a capital subsidy of ninety nine point three LAC was credited to his HDFC Bank loan account in March this year. What makes this case particularly significant is the institutional relationship involved. The National Horticulture Board is an autonomous organization operating under the administrative control of the Agriculture Ministry, where Chadre serves as a minister. The government also told Parliament that BJPMP Lumbaram CHADRII had received financial assistance under the board's schemes during the past five years. Separately, The Indian Express had reported that three family members of senior ISS officer Nareshpal Gangwar collectively received more than one point one six crow rupees in horticulture subsidies. Banaji had specifically asked whether the scheme contained a conflict of interest or requisal policy for public functionaries and their relatives. The government's response was that the existing guidelines contain no such provision. So while Chaudhry has returned the subsidy, the larger issue still remains unresolved that the scheme currently has no formal safeguard requiring ministers, MPs or senior officials to disclose conflicts or step aside when their own applications are considered. You were listening to Three Things by The Indian Express. Today's show was edited and mixed BISS for ash Bavar and produced by Anaharakananda and me Ichasharma. If you like the show, do subscribe to us wherever you get your podcasts. You can also recommend it to someone you think may like it, with a friend or in your family. This is the best way for people to get to know about us. You can also tweet us at Express Podcasts or write to us at podcasts at Indian Express dot com