Speaker 1: Hello, everybody, Welcome to you the buck Eye Weekly Podcast. I'm Tony Gerdaman here as always with Tom or Tom.
Speaker 2: How's it going, Tony? It is going back.
Speaker 3: I'm so glad that you asked. It is really starting to feel like football season, like we are we're talking about show topics and we are firmly out of the like, well, I don't know which team has the prettiest costumes off season kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: It is like, all right, let us let us get into some like football football, let's go.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 1: And so we did get to see the first three practices. We've heard some of the stuff that happened at the fourth practice of the closed practice, which you can find a discussion of over Buckeye Insiders dot com on the Buckeye Insider's message board. Sign up now you can. You can read about stuff we're hearing, and it's coming in daily, sometimes hourly and by the minute. But we now, having seen what we do have seen, having seen what we've seen, there are still some questions. Of course, Hey, after four days, four days, four days of camp, Yes, you're still gonna have questions, and so I want to throw some questions out there for you Tom and the first one for the offense that I have that I'm still is unanswered to me, and really that's what matters. We still need to see more from Tavi and Saint Clair. He is the backup, but it would be good to see him performing consistently like a starter, because that's what you want your backup to do. Now, it's what every backup does. But it's also so early that at this point last year there were still you know, today was a better day for Lincoln keyholds. Today was a better day for Julian saying. And that is whether you want to believe it or not, you whether the people want.
Speaker 3: To believe it or not.
Speaker 1: This is these were the reports coming out. Would we'd be we'd be waiting for to do interviews and somebody would come out and I remember talking with somebody that I know he's like play it was a good day for Lincoln today and he was. He was clearly the guy. And then by the middle of camp it's Chile Insane has been named the starter. I would I would like to start hearing more, seeing more, but we probably won't see anymore, but hear more that Tavi Saint Clair, who is the de facto, and the true backup is getting some raves for his ability to move the ball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you need that.
Speaker 3: They they have not had to turn to the backup quarterback in every single season. But you go back through the years and everyone will immediately jump to twenty fourteen where it's like, well, you need to have three quarterbacks because you're going to need a third quarterback once you get to the college football payoff. And that's really, I mean, like a huge outlier. But you go back a few years and they were up at Michigan State and they needed I think I was twenty twenty two, they needed Devin Brown to come in and throw a touchdown pass, and you know, and then you get there your starter back and it's fine, but you you are going to need a backup probably at some point during some kind of a game and you need TV. And Saint Clay is someone where everything is there, all the pieces are there, but right now you're still sort of in the assembly portion of the process where you know you have the size, you have the strength, you have the you know, we have seen him. We saw him run a little bit on Saturday, and it was like he was he looked good, just kind of finding a little bit of an opening and just like boom taken off downfield, but you want to see him be able to kind of make all the throws. That's still a little bit of a work in process. You you know, you have you're looking around, you have all the parts, you have the ice ikea assembly instructions, but they're still a little bit in the guy with the question mark over his head sort of portion where it's like, you gotta you gotta figure out how to put all that together. And you're realistically having covered these camps for years and years and years, there are gonna be days where you hear he had a great day.
Speaker 2: There a good days where you say he had a bad day, and that's true of virtually everyone.
Speaker 3: There are veteran guys on the team where will occasionally hear, yeah, he didn't have a very good day, and it's like, yeah, I'm still betting on that guy to have a very good season this year. You just you want to start hearing a little bit more of yeah, man, Tavy and Tavian really had a good day today, And it's just that's that's one of those things that we're just gonna be kind of watching for throughout the throughout the month, because if something does happen to Julian's saying, he is, he is the next man up, and then all of a sudden boom, the season is on your shoulders.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we're only getting to see things immediately. We're not seeing the film afterward. Talking with Tavian Saint Clair afterwards, what did you see? What we're you know? Because remember he's the number two line, number two quarterback. He has got the number two offensive line and sometimes threes will mix in there as well. So you're going with the number two offensive line against a number two defense that is basically rotational with the number one defense in a lot of places, especially upfront when your number twos he's facing your John Walker and James Smith like those guys are also going to be with the ones, and so are some of the defensive mens. The mixing and matching that they do. So it's asking Tavian to a lot to handle, essentially a starting unit defensively with a second team offensive line. Which is why I wonder how many times Lincoln Keynolts had the better day today, is because did he have the first team offensive line? And is the reason Julian saying had the better day of the next day because he had the first team offensive line. You saw some of the same stuff with Devin bright On a comm accord and right now, what we really haven't seen much of is in the past, when they would do two offensive lines, it would just be a completely mix and match. Right now, it seems like they're still working to find their their top five, so they don't want to do too much mixing until they know, you know, before they know who that's going to be. And I guess that can take us right into the next unanswered question, which is basically Ian Moore versus Josh Padilla in terms of being one of those top five and they are not competing for the same position. It's just a matter of ise Ian Moore at left tackle and Austin Sierraveld at right guard better than Josh Padilla at right guard in Austin Seerveld at left tackle. The first day though, Tom when we saw Austin Seerveld at left tackle or Ian Moore at left tackle and Austin Seerveld at right guard, it was kind of a little nod. But now it's up to Josh Padilla to turn the nod into like, no.
Speaker 3: Wait, nothing is settled yet, and I think that they are. You get this senor leaning towards Ian Moore as the left tackle right now, and I think you've seen enough positive stuff there that I think that that is probably going to at least be a.
Speaker 2: Viable solution there. But they are not.
Speaker 3: It doesn't seem in any huge rush to make a decision. One thing that it kind of jumped out to me was going back and listening to Ryan Day talk about the offensive line, you know, shuffle, when who's going to be the best five and all that kind of stuff. This was Thursday, after the first practice of the fall.
Speaker 2: You know, we're talking about.
Speaker 3: Is it going to be Ian Moore at left tackle and Austin Seravel at right guard or Austin Seerveld at left tackle and Josh Prittia at right guard.
Speaker 2: And Ryan Day brought up Philip Daniel's name as well.
Speaker 3: So I think there's a possibility that the best five is Austin Serrea and Ian Moore at the tackle positions and Josh Vidia at right guard.
Speaker 2: Like that's a possibility.
Speaker 3: I'm not expecting that that's that's certainly not where I think it's most likely to land. But I also don't think this is a purely binary thing. Is it Joshvidia or is it Ian Moore. I think there's other possibilities at least on the table here, and they're going to take their time and they're going to explore this. But my expectation would be by the end of this upcoming week or maybe early the following week, so Monday, Tuesday, something like that of the following week, so that would be something like the seventeenth, eighteenth, give or take of August. I think at that point they're going to want to know who their best five is. But I think they're probably gonna take a little more time and explore things just to make sure they know they have the right answer.
Speaker 1: The good news is they have options. It's it's always bad news when well, we're going to move a defensive linement over to see if he can compete, or we're gonna bulk up this tight end, which we've seen over the years at Ohio State and now, when they've moved a defensive end or a defensive tackle over to offensive line, it has generally worked well enough. I mean, they won a national title with Darryl Baldwin as a tackle, and we saw Chase Ferris do well. We've seen Joel Hall go back and forth from offense to defense. So it's not the worst thing in the world, but it's always better when you don't have to learn to play a new position. You just you were born an offensive lineman. You'll die an offensive linemen, and in the middle you'll figure out where you fit on the Ohio State offensive line. The last question, and there are more. The last question we're going to talk about today is we have seen nothing from Kyle Parker at receiver yet. Now he's been coming back from an injury. They're bringing him along and I was there Saturday, and you know, they're doing all their stretching and then it's like, all right, it's time for practice, and Kyle Parker basically just heads inside because now it's like I've got to go do what I can do and we still need to see him. And you know, he had some positive buzz coming out of the spring and into the summer, and so i'd like to see some of that on the field now. Tom I was way way you would say overboard talking about Devin McEwan and then you're there on Saturday, and it's like Devin ickewen dropped a couple of passes, did not did not live up to what he did before. I won't say didn't live up to the hype. It wasn't hype, it was fact. It happened. We all saw it. But it would be good for Kyle Parker to have some of those days in the very near future.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he needs to get out there and be healthy as soon as he possibly can, because yeah, the season is still almost four weeks away, a little under four weeks away. But you gotta get out there and you gotta be you gotta be healthy, and you gotta start building timing and all that kind of stuff, and you got to show that you've got to earn a spot in that rotation because you know, you know, the Jeremiah Smith spot is spoken for, and you would assume Brandon Innes is not going to be the easiest guy in the world to unseat in the slot.
Speaker 2: And then Devin McEwen.
Speaker 3: We went into the fall saying Devin McEwen and Kyle Parker somewhat interchangeably, and Parker could play inside.
Speaker 2: Parker could play outside.
Speaker 3: You know, where where is he going to fit in and right now you're just sort of saying, Devin McEwen and Kyle Parker is just watching, and you know, if you hurt, you're heard, there's nothing you can.
Speaker 2: Do about that other than just get healthy.
Speaker 3: But you're also hearing enough about some of the younger guys, particularly Chris Henry Junior and Brock Boyd, that they want to find five or six guys that they can rely on this year to at least be rotational guys. My sense is that those two of those freshmen are going to at least be in that conversation. And so now you've got to you know, Kyle Parker is looking ahead of him at the guys you know, like Devin McEwan and Brandon Innis, but he's also kind of got to be checking his shoulder a little bit for those freshmen because objects and mirror maybe closer than they appear in some cases.
Speaker 2: So you know, this is again, this is.
Speaker 3: Nothing that Kyle Parker has done wrong. So you guys miss time in fall camp. That is a thing that happened on every team every single season. But it would it would certainly be really really good for Kyle Parker and really really good for the ohis state wide receiver room.
Speaker 2: If he was back out there.
Speaker 3: And you could really sort of figure out what do you you know, what do you really have there and where do these pieces really fit best together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean he left LSU to come to ohiose debut with Cortez Hankton. You know, he's itching to get out there and show everybody. We saw Legend Bay on his first practice running really hard, like wanting to just get back out there. So you know, Kyle Parker dealing with what he's dealing with. Once he gets out there, he's gonna be feisty as heck and trying to make plays all over the place, and it would be good to see what happens. Interesting to see what happens from that. But his versatility, his ability to perhaps make guys miss well, you look at him, and I've said it before, he's five ten, one ninety five. He looks like a running back. So he's not a good that you're necessarily going to bring down with an arm tackle after the catch. It's just a matter of what are they doing with them. I think we're going to see some screens with him, screens with Devin mcew and some quicker, shorter stuff to allow them to use that burst in that run. Although based on what I saw from Devin McEwan, he does not need to just be a short pass guy. He can stretch the field. And you know, I'm interested to see if Kyle Parker can. He did it a little bit at LSU, but I don't know that that's his role with Ohio State. But again, we don't know what his role is because we haven't yet seen him. But we are talking about this and more over at Buckeye Insiders dot com. Like I said, we've got some other intel there as well about how things are going at practice and what we're hearing and what we're seeing and all of that. So if any of that kind of stuff interests you, and if you're listening to this podcast probably does, you can find even more of that in us over at Buckeye Insiders dot Com. Would love to see you there. It is the absolute best way to support what we do. That will do it fair. Thank you off again and we'll.
Speaker 2: Talk to you all.
Speaker 3: This time. What about.
Speaker 2: Rushing through awaydom? No one tell me, I wish you.
Speaker 3: Never then nothing.
Speaker 1: Where where my FA.
Speaker 2: If you can tell me that's a Moot's all right. We can steal currently
Speaker 1: Attatatatatatatatatas