Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Mo Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: It's Later with Mo Kelly in a very special pre Mother's Day show. As we're celebrating moms everywhere, those who are still with us, those who.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately may have left us and passed on.
Speaker 2: I wanted to put the call out to you so you would give us a call and let us know maybe some sage advice your bomb gave you. Maybe you want to shout out your mom who's maybe not physically with you, but could be listening, or could be watching even on YouTube or maybe Instagram live. Or maybe there was just something that came to mind that made you think about your mom and you felt compelled to call in. That's why we wanted to hear from you. Let's first hear from Kathy in Anaheim. Kathy, how are you tonight?
Speaker 1: Good mo?
Speaker 4: Thank you for doing this.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: My mom's been gone ten years now and I miss her terribly. She was a little Italian American woman, the only member of her family born here, and so I got a very rich heritage from that, especially you know, her parents left a life of affluence to get away from Mussolini and I've been dealing for the last couple of years with cancer, and I know my mom would be hollering at me to take care of myself and hollering at everybody to help me out. Yeah, and I was really missing her. And one night I had a dream where I was back in the childhood of my kitchen childhood, and I could smell her homemade pasta sauce with sweet Italian sausage, and it felt so comforting, because you know, nobody can do a home cooked meal like your mom.
Speaker 3: Am I right, Oh, you're not wrong.
Speaker 2: In fact, I was going to ask you about any particular dish that she would make or that you miss and you beat me to it. There is something about Mom's cooking, and it's more than just the dish. It's about the love that's connected to the dish and the memories connected to the love, and also those meals. I completely understand, and I am so thankful that you called in tonight, Catherine, because you set the tone and you understand completely about the importance of Mom. Even though she's unfortunately no longer with you, she still remains inside of you.
Speaker 3: Is that fair to say?
Speaker 4: I think that's very fair. And my mom was a practical person who would say, use your common sense, don't do stupid stuff, make good choices. It was just, you know, real basic.
Speaker 2: Like that, and it stuck with you for life, didn't it.
Speaker 4: It has You know the phrase someone could talk to you like a Dutch uncle. I've heard my mom could do that with anybody. She could give anybody advice. If you screwed up, she'd tell you, but then you knew she still loved you.
Speaker 3: Mm hmmm hm.
Speaker 2: Did you pass Did you pass any of this advice onto your children or other extended family members?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I told my kids you make good choices. If you make good choices, you'll have probably have a good life, and that if you want things like a family, an education, all of that, start making those good choices now.
Speaker 3: Kathy, thank you for telling us about your mom.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry that Mother's Day can be difficult for many people just like you. You have these wonderful memories, but there's also there's a great sense of loss still connected to those memories. I completely understand, and I wish you a wonderful Mother's Day because you are a mother, and I also hopefully you have a peaceful Mother's Day, even though you may miss your own mother.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Molly. You have good evening too. Happy Mother's Day to your mom.
Speaker 2: Happy Mother's Day. She's listening right now. Thank you so much, Kathy. Let's go to Valentina in Cabazon, Valentina.
Speaker 6: How are you Hi, I'm doing good.
Speaker 7: How are you?
Speaker 3: I'm doing well.
Speaker 2: I'm glad that you could call in tonight and share some memories of your mom. Or let me ask is your mom still with us?
Speaker 8: She is, She is still with us, and she's a KFI.
Speaker 3: Listener, outstanding, outstanding.
Speaker 2: Tell us something about your mom, maybe some sage advice that she gave.
Speaker 9: You, you know what.
Speaker 8: Before I get into advice, I just want to say when I was in high school, we'd be driving to school every morning and we would listen to KFI. And now that I'm in my thirties, I now listen to KFI because of her, and we follow all of the all of the shows that you guys produced, and it's the first thing I put on in the morning on the way to the gym. And so I thought it was really special that you guys were doing this because I wanted to call and give a shout out to my mom and her name is Terry, and she has been just an incredible person in my life, always so supportive and always helping people, no matter what stage of life she's been through.
Speaker 2: Is there any particular advice that she gave you long ago that you still remember and live by today.
Speaker 8: So one of her advice is not a life advice, but it's actually just something that we do because we live in a Hispanic Mexican household, is to not walk around barefoot without socks. And it's just a Mexican thing. She feels like, you will get sick or you'll catch a cold without socks if your feet are on the bear tile floor.
Speaker 2: Did you carry that to your Are you a mother yourself?
Speaker 1: I am?
Speaker 3: And what do you tell your kids?
Speaker 6: So I do try to remind them, you know, they need to put sauce on their feet, but they but they are feral children and with crocs, with wearing crocs these days, you know, it's pretty difficult. But my kids love to ground themselves, as they say, in dirt, so it's hard to get them to.
Speaker 10: Keep talks on.
Speaker 2: Valentina, you brought a smile and a chuckle to my face.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: Once again, these lessons that we get from our mothers. They stay with us for life. We most likely passed them on to our kids as well. We probably hated them growing up, and now we swear by them as parents ourselves.
Speaker 3: Thank you for calling in tonight, Valentina.
Speaker 8: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 3: Have a good night, Have a great night.
Speaker 2: It's Later with mo Kelly. We want to continue with your calls. We'd asked you to call it ad eight hundred and five to zero one KFI. We want to hear about your mothers, whether they're still with us or not. Maybe there's some great advice, Maybe there was a great something that she passed along to you that you hold dear even now many years later. Maybe you've passed it on to your children as well. So we want to hear about your mother's, maybe that mother figure in your life. Eight hundred and five two zero one five three four. We're doing this the rest of the hour as we pay homage and also celebrate the mothers to all of us.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with mo Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: It's Later with Mo Kelly, and we're live on YouTube. We're live on Instagram and we're listening to you right now as we talk about your mother's your memories, maybe recipes that your mom had passed down. Maybe there was some wonderful advice that she gave you. And maybe it wasn't your mother, it was just a mother figure. Could be a step mom, could have been a counselor could have been someone in your church, someone who guided you, someone who helped you, someone maybe who even rebuked you and punished you on some level, but made sure you stayed on the street and narrow. And that's why we had opened up the phones, because we wanted to hear from you talk about your mother's on this Mother's Day weekend. And now our three we'll have named that movie called Classic. Of course, nothing but Mother's Day movies. Let's go back to the phones. Let's talk to Michael in Lake Forest. Michael, thank you for calling in this evening. Tell me about your mother.
Speaker 5: Hey, bro, thank you so.
Speaker 11: Much for having me on the program this evening. A I just want to give a shout out to my mom, Shelley. She is a very very faithful KFI listener. We grew up I'm thirty years old. We grew up listening to KFI and I just have to say my mom is the most brave and courageous woman I think I've ever met. She spent you know, I have an identical twin brother, and she raised two twins and my older sister and I, and she was a waitress for over twenty years, and she would work at night and she would be a student teacher volunteer at our school during the day. And when I was eighteen, I joined the Marine Corps and she signed on the dotted line. And it was my dad who was hesitant on me joining the military, but my mom was like, yes, do this.
Speaker 5: I'm totally supporting you.
Speaker 3: And she was just so.
Speaker 11: Courageous, and she really just wanted to foster that independent spirit and just you know, we can do anything to you, said our mind too. So she signed that dotted line. And I actually moved back to California about eight months ago just because I recently received a OCD diagnosis and she basically nursed me back to health. I was twenty five pounds underweight and going through a very intense mental health battle. And she's been working with me the whole time, encouraging me to take the medication, and she's been on my care team and then nothing but a churedly this whole entire time. And I can say I probably would beat that without her. So I just want to give a shout out to you, Mom.
Speaker 5: Love you.
Speaker 2: Let me just say this, Michael, first, thank you for your service and all that you've done for our country.
Speaker 3: That's very important to once to acknowledge that.
Speaker 2: And also when you say that you are only thirty years and oh, that you've been listening to KFI like all your life, what was that like growing up and having CAFI on all the time. And I'm quite sure you probably were not into it when you were a young kid.
Speaker 5: Were you. No, we were not.
Speaker 11: You know, my mom would be doing her makeup in the morning, we'd walk.
Speaker 10: Into her room, but we could just hear.
Speaker 11: Kfive going off in the background, and that just continued to go on every morning, every night. It would just be on and it was just like a part of the family.
Speaker 2: Well, Michael, you have really I think filled my spirit and the spirit of everyone listening. Hopefully your health is much better now than what you were telling us of what you were going through. But like all of us when we're sick, there's nothing better than the care of Mom.
Speaker 11: That's right, Amen. And you know I'll just say this, some sage advice that she's given me recently in this battle has been you have all the tools that you need, and you know, she's just been that cheerleader that I can do hard things. And so I love you Mom.
Speaker 3: Amen to that.
Speaker 2: Michael, have a great Mother's Day weekend, and hopefully we'll get to hear from you again in the future.
Speaker 11: All right, sounds good.
Speaker 5: Thank Je.
Speaker 2: Let's go to Rebecca in del mar Rebecca, thank you for holding Tell me about your mom or the mother figure in your life.
Speaker 12: Hi, So there's not a day goes by that I just missed my mom so much her. I do anything just to get like a hug, just to hear her voice again. She passed away, and about the year I graduated, I went back to school for my masters at USC. It was a battle, and I regret not visiting her as much. She lived about an hour away from me. Ironically, she is resting at the near mar Cemetery, which is like not even two miles from where I live. So when I'm off the freeway, I'm like, Hi, Mom, I'll talk to her. I miss her.
Speaker 9: Green Enchiladas.
Speaker 12: I miss her jokes. When I was in college, she would have the key to my apartment and come over and she would kind of like get upset, saying, I can't believe that you don't make your bed in the morning. And I'm like, mom, I'm a busy college student. And she said, all you're doing is inviting the devil to sleep with you.
Speaker 3: And one day I said.
Speaker 12: Well maybe, I said, well maybe. One day I said, well maybe I do want the devil to sleep with me.
Speaker 3: Oh, I know that didn't go over well.
Speaker 12: So I miss her a lot. I know she's resting peacefully, and she's very proud of me and my kids. And she's a great example, just like the previous caller. She volunteered a lot, a huge advocate. She was also a foster parent at one point, raised seven kids on her own. And I thank you so much for doing this mo for all of us. I appreciate it. And tomorrow it's actually Mexican Mother's Day. It's always on the tenth, no matter what day it falls on, so we're blessed to have those two celebrations.
Speaker 2: Rebecca, before I let you go, I have to ask you, is there anything that your mom told you or reprimanded you fourth that you reprimand or expect of your kids now beyond maybe making your bed.
Speaker 12: Oh boy, I can't really remember right now, but she was when she would discipline. My parents were not great at all that, like the say you're grounded, and then they forget about it. Because there are so many of us in the household, they would forget about which one is disciplined. And I'm the youngest, so I kind of got like.
Speaker 9: The better end of the deal.
Speaker 12: But you know what, there's one thing she did that will never forget. She waited in line twelve hours and then went to work to cook at a restaurant right after staying in line for twelve hours for Duran Duran tickets remember back on Yes, Yes, and then they would give out the stupid wristbands. It was crazy, It was I cannot believe she did. And I was only in eighth grade at the time, and she didn't complain at all. She would just talk to everyone in line. Yeah, So I that just those little things that she did. It was just incredible, and I do the same thing for my daughter, like the Taylor Swift tickets or kicking carry. Yeah, we do we do those things. Thank you so much again though I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Rebecca, thank you for those anecdotes. I hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day in your own right. Thank you so much for calling in to I'd have a wonderful Mother's Day weekend, and hopefully we get to hear from you again in the future.
Speaker 12: Yes, thank you everyone.
Speaker 2: Bye bye, It's Later with mo Kelly, more of your calls this Mother's Day weekend. As we salute, we celebrate, we remember, and we honor the mothers and mother figures in our life.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with mo Kelly on demand from KFI AM six.
Speaker 2: Forty's Later with Bo Kelly. As we're moving towards Mother's Day. I guess you could call it Mother's Day weekend. And we're still live on YouTube if you want to see what the show looks like, especially on occasion like this, we're live on Instagram. But it's not about me, It's about you. It's about your stories, your memories of your mother's or mothers, of mother figures in your lives. Maybe there was some great advice that she gave you a great recipe, or just maybe you already even have fond memories of your mother, but she still made an impact on you. She maybe is no longer with us, but she might be the guide for how you raised your children, and maybe you passed on some of her wisdom or recipes or some of her discipline to your children. That's why we opened up the phones. We wanted to hear from you. Eight hundred five two zero one five three four. Let's go back to the phones as we celebrate and honor and remember all of our mothers and mother figures in our lives. Let's talk to Sean in Sherman Oaks, Shawn, good evening. Tell me about your mother.
Speaker 10: My mom was a niggly material stand her Spanish, keep going. She was great. She was my best friend, and the best gift she ever gave me wasn't my brother.
Speaker 3: What's the age difference between you and your brother?
Speaker 10: Three and a half years.
Speaker 3: How long has your mom been gone?
Speaker 5: Ten?
Speaker 10: She died a Turkey day.
Speaker 3: What do you usually think about this?
Speaker 10: This is a hard man.
Speaker 3: It's all right.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you know what. Me and my ex girlfriend used to call my mom when we had like a question. She was so smart. I'm smart, don't get me wrong. But man, my mom was so so smart. She cot his answer or something on the whip of the dime. I missed my mom.
Speaker 2: What do you think your mom would say right now if she were here, would she say, clean up your house?
Speaker 5: Would she say, I'm a virgo?
Speaker 10: I'm a virgo? My house was spotless.
Speaker 3: Was she very strict?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 10: She was strict, but lenient, you know. I mean I grew up in the seventies. You know, pot was everywhere.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 10: It's just like, but you know, I just miss mom.
Speaker 3: There's nothing wrong with that. You need not apologize.
Speaker 2: What do you think up do you talk to your brother during moments like this during Mother's Day weekend?
Speaker 10: I just my brother just left about forty five an hour and a half ago.
Speaker 3: So you're still very close with them.
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, he only lives around the corner. I live in Sherman Oaks and he lives in Sara Karita.
Speaker 2: That's close enough. That's close enough. What do you think he'll do this Mother's Day weekend? Even though it may be a painful memory that she's gone, But is there anything that you may do in remembrance of her this Sunday?
Speaker 10: No, what I'm gonna do is. I'm gonna give Pam a thing of carnations mm hm, and then all this prayer to God.
Speaker 3: Nothing wrong with prayer. Prayer changes things.
Speaker 10: That's the one thing my mom gave me is to believe. And I still do believe.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 3: Look, weeping may endure but for a night, but joy comes in the morning. Remember that.
Speaker 10: There. I just I just miss my mom.
Speaker 3: That's all right, that's all right.
Speaker 10: And I got extra moms and they're they're they're just they're they're not moms. You know what I'm saying. You know, you understand me.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, they're they're not replacements for them but for your mother. But they don't have to be. It's okay. That's why your mom was so very special because there is no one like her and no one.
Speaker 3: Will be like her.
Speaker 10: Thank you for that.
Speaker 2: Hey, Sean, I gotta go, but I do want you to have a special weekend. Even though your mother may not be with you, it is clear that she is still very much with you.
Speaker 3: And I don't know.
Speaker 2: I do this every single year, and and there are a lot of people who call in who don't have the types of memories that you have, who don't have the type of connection that you have with your mother, and their mothers might even still be here. So I would consider you, my word, blessed to be able to have such positive memories of your mom, and the also someone that you can share those with who also knew her in your brother. So she may be gone, but she's clearly still with you.
Speaker 10: Thank you, Sean.
Speaker 3: Will you call us again sometime? Yeah, I didn't have a good weekend, as best you.
Speaker 10: Can right, will have a great weekend.
Speaker 3: Amen to that. It's Later with Moe Kelly.
Speaker 2: If you're holding on right now, Jerry and Westcovita and Kelly in Long Beach will be coming to you next.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: Mom, Kelly.
Speaker 2: Sex, this hour has been all about you, and actually all about your mother's We've been asking for your anecdotes about Mom. We've been asking about the stories in which you want to share about the special nature of your mom. Maybe there was some great advice, Maybe there was a time she disciplined you and you use that to discipline your children now.
Speaker 3: And maybe you don't have fond memories of your mother.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to lie to you and say that everyone had a fantastic relationship with their mom or mother figure.
Speaker 3: That would not be true.
Speaker 2: But I definitely wanted to hear from you about your mom and why, in one way or another she is or was.
Speaker 3: So very special.
Speaker 2: And so we put the call out to you, and you've responded, and there is no wrong emotion to feel. There is no wrong emotion to feel because Mother's Day is for many of us a very emotionable, emotional time. With that in mind, let's talk to Jerry in West Covina. Good evening, Jerry, tell me about your mom.
Speaker 5: Hello, mo, how you doing.
Speaker 10: Oh, I'm doing good, Happy Friday.
Speaker 5: No, yes, the memory of my.
Speaker 7: Mother, because I'm crying. In nineteen eighty four, I joined the United States Army.
Speaker 5: She didn't know my father did.
Speaker 7: And a band comes pick you up at four in the morning. That's the time that my dad would go to work. And to my mom, I'm still a little kid, and I had a bullying bag, a bowling bag, and.
Speaker 5: That's why I put my clothes in to go join the army.
Speaker 13: Moongle, what's that band's doing down there?
Speaker 7: Because we lived in a two story house up there, in the street is.
Speaker 5: Down in the bottom.
Speaker 10: O. My comes up.
Speaker 5: I don't know their neighbors or whatever. I go, Mom, that's for me, It goes, We don't mean that's for me. I go, why, I just joined the army. And that's the first.
Speaker 7: Time I saw my mom slap my dad, you're sitting my son to war.
Speaker 5: And that was during the Cold War, for instance, for sake.
Speaker 7: But my mom was so scared of losing a little boy, you know, she saw me as a kid again. And I go, no, Mom, everything's gonna be okay. And okay, I went and joined the army, and I was stationed in Korea.
Speaker 5: As I tell my mom, you know, I wrote.
Speaker 7: Her all the time because there was no internet or nge and nothing. But ain't she get a one one time a month, a five minute phone call from Korea and call her mom.
Speaker 5: Not that everything is okay. But I used to writer her all the time.
Speaker 7: But I always tell her mom, because in the army they give you the army food. She would send this like I would ask, can you said this?
Speaker 5: Can menudo and stuff? Uh? You know, can Mexican food? Jerry?
Speaker 3: Let me jump in there. What was in her manudo?
Speaker 5: Huh?
Speaker 3: What is She.
Speaker 13: Would be the big the beef try, but they would she would boil the pig's feet on the side.
Speaker 5: People put uh the beef feet, but no, my mom would.
Speaker 7: Boy boil the peaks feet on the side because they had too much fat. And then the harmony, now the which the corn, the hominy, and you know after she would mix it stands the.
Speaker 5: Uh uh the pit sweet juice. You know you would dump that.
Speaker 2: Hey, Jerry, I ask you that because I knew that you would know the answer to that, because she's made such an indelible mark on you. And I'm sorry that she's gone, But like so many people that we've heard from tonight and who I are watching in the chat on our YouTube stream, she will never be forgotten and she will always serve as a very important person in your life presently, even though she may be gone, she is still of the utmost importance. And also, as I said before to someone else, I want to thank you for your service, because if not for how you were raised, you may not have been willing to serve.
Speaker 3: So I thank you for that.
Speaker 2: And Jerry, I have to go at this point, but I want you to remember that even though your mother is gone. She clearly is still impacting your life in a very positive way.
Speaker 3: Am I wrong?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 13: Yeah, you know what. I just give me one word, teach, I don't go Chili. Okay, teach, I don't go Chile. And oh no, who else knows it in there?
Speaker 7: Oh my, she taught me how to make it, and I know how to make it. But I know that's because you know it's really bad for your heart and all that other stuff. But you'll need it once here. You'll need it once here.
Speaker 3: Hey, Jerry, I got a rush. But thank you for calling.
Speaker 7: Oh that's who I understand, and I think you know all and everybody.
Speaker 5: Hey, thank you guys. You guys all have a happy Mother's Day for your mom's.
Speaker 2: Happy Mother's Day for you as well. Keep your spirits and thoughts on mom this weekend.
Speaker 3: I will all right, be well. Jerry.
Speaker 2: Let's go to Kelly in Long Beach. Kelly, tell us about your mom.
Speaker 9: My grandmother was my mother.
Speaker 4: I had.
Speaker 9: A bad situation of abuse and but not to go into any of that. But I only know a mother's love because my grandmother just she did everything for me. She was always there for me. She taught me how to cook, to be kind of people. She made the best pies in the world. She taught me how to do all the cooking of the things that I do make now, I could never make one Grandma's pies. Pies are a difficult thing to make. Those crests, Oh there, they're hard, but got it. They were just so good. And she's always with me. I missed her so much that she's always with me. She'd worried about a lot to you know. She'd always worried if I was going somewhere or going to swimming somewhere. She was always afraid. You know, they're being accidents, worried something.
Speaker 3: And grandmother's worried. That's what they do.
Speaker 9: And you know what I turned out. I'm a worrier now, I think, even wren than she was. And she used to drive me nuts right right.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 9: I would go somewhere and I'd say, okay, I'll be back at nine o'clock. And i'd actually get in early, say maybe eight forty five, and she was already outside, pacing up and downside walk and was like, oh man.
Speaker 5: But.
Speaker 9: She passed it on to me.
Speaker 12: Yes, yes, she passed on a lot of good things.
Speaker 9: Now, and oh we used to listen to the radio all night, talk radio, so I do that right now. I have KFI on.
Speaker 5: My radio just.
Speaker 9: Goes all day and all night. And I think I enjoyed that so much with my grandma. We you know, laying in bed at eleven or twelve o'clock and the talk radio would be on, and my grandfather was on the far departments. So when I wasn't with her, she you know, would have our radio, and you guys keep me company because I'm pretty much alone now. So I I just think the shows are fantastic. They're so enjoyable. They really are.
Speaker 3: Kelly, thank you for the compliment.
Speaker 2: But I'm more impressed by your grandmother how she was able to instill some things in you, some skills she gave to you, some recipes that she gave to you.
Speaker 3: And it sounds like Kelly in Long Beach she turned out okay.
Speaker 9: Oh well, that's sutatable. I think she's her coffin. Sometime she'd have to bless her heart. But everything always turned out all right.
Speaker 2: I can say from what I can where I'm sitting, it turned out all right, Kelly, and I want you to have as good a Mother's day weekend as you can reflect on your grandmother and all the beautiful things that she's done for you in your life.
Speaker 3: And hopefully we get to talk again in the future.
Speaker 9: That'd be great. I really enjoy your show. Well, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Kelly.
Speaker 2: I really do appreciate that, because as far as I'm concerned, it's all about family.
Speaker 3: We're here to laugh together.
Speaker 2: We maybe listen to each other, maybe learn from each other, but at the end of the day, it is all about family. Kf IM six forty We're live everywhere the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 9: K f I is literally the KFI of talk radio.
Speaker 12: K s I and KOs T HD two Los Angeles, Orange County Live everywhere on the Heart Radio app.