Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty The Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app Wednesday, October thirtieth, twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: Are we going to do creepy stories every time? Sure? You want to hear what goes down in Kenya?
Speaker 3: Uh, they have creepy stories too, Yeah, Okay, We're doing global creepy stories today.
Speaker 1: Ah in Kenya a Massi folk tale about an ogre who used to raid villages for food. As told to the children, it goes like this, The ogre lived deep in the forest and would raid neighboring villages to kill cattle, which is the Masai community's symbol of wealth. Despite many warriors keeping guard, the ogre was able to kill the cattle. And then one day he fell in love with a beautiful Massi woman named sanaigan Yes, and he transformed into a messiah warrior to win her heart. When he revealed his real identity to Seyanyan as an ogre, she told the warriors, and the warriors used t Nanyan as bait, and when they did, they speared the ogre while he was meeting with her. Even after he transformed back into the ogre. He could not survive. He fell and died. His five fingers, it is said, formed the five peaks that are the present day Gong Hills in the outskirts of the capitol, Nairobi and a popular hiking destination.
Speaker 2: That's a good story.
Speaker 3: Here's the pitch swinging the ball's rilled left field Fernandez bad gone.
Speaker 2: Slam and pope over the left field wall.
Speaker 4: Dan Yaki Stadium explodes. It's five two.
Speaker 3: That was John Shamby on ESPN Radio talking about Volpi's big grand slam. I guess blew some life finally into the Yankees' bats and they were able to score an eleven to four win last night. Dodgers still lead the series three to one. In the World Series. The big play, though, was the foul ball into right field.
Speaker 2: Dodgers right fielder Mookie Bets goes to the wall.
Speaker 3: Basically not a whole lot of foul territory in that party Yankee Stadium. He goes to the wall, reaches over the wall and catches the ball, and then two fans actually grab Mooky Bets's One guy grabs his glove, the other guy next to him grabs mooky Bets's arm, the free arm that's not wearing the glove his right arm and is holding mooky Bets while his buddy is prying the baseball out of mooky Bets's glove.
Speaker 1: It looks like it could be an injury situation because he's not letting go of his wrist and Mookie's outstretched at the most outstretched. He could be I mean, I understand ding up or whatever you want to call it, as what they said they were doing, but that's taking it too far and they should be banned from the stadium the fact that they're let in. First of all, who if they won the lottery, they both won the lottery for two games in the World Series, that's that's unheard of. And otherwise you're gonna pay the kind of money it costs to go to the World Series twice two times.
Speaker 2: Like that's so pretty well off if that's the case.
Speaker 3: Austin Coppo Bianco is that Yankee season ticket holder who was the one wearing the gray Road jersey in the front row right down that right field line. He's the one that grabbed the glove as Mookie Bets made the catch, and his friend, a guy named John Peter grabbed Bets's right hand as Austin was prying the ball from the glove. They originally told ESPN last night that as they were escorted out of the stadium, you can't interfere with a play like that. It'd be different if one of them just reached up and caught the ball, yes, before Mookie Bets did. Right, that's not interfering, especially if it's in foul territory.
Speaker 1: Glove and prying the ball out is not something that is that you can do.
Speaker 2: Right, so they said.
Speaker 3: As they were being escorted out of the stadium, security told them they'd be allowed back in for Game five. Major League Baseball stepped in and asked the Yankees to disallow them from Game five. So Major League Baseball said, no, no, you're not coming back. Good now, they should kick them out a Yankee stadium forever forever. You cannot interfere with a game like that, because if you don't send a message, an absolute zero tolerance message like that, it's going to happen again.
Speaker 1: It is absolutely and player safety should be something that you keep in mind.
Speaker 3: And again this so if you remember back to the Dodgers Padres series in the League Championship Series, the Division Series. The home run that Mookie Bets kind of hit, I mean, he almost hit, and the left fielder for the Padres goes into the crowd and catches it and pulls it back. We were saying at the time, Hey, if you're that fan, you gotta grab that ball.
Speaker 2: Yeh. What I meant was, you got.
Speaker 3: To catch that ball right before he does, because if he's over the wall and you catch that ball, that's a home run.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: In this case, Mookie Bets catches the ball before the fan does and then they interfere.
Speaker 1: Can I tell you something that makes me sound like a bad fan but a good person.
Speaker 2: I don't know how you're okay, I'm living.
Speaker 1: I felt really bad for Volpi when he did not run the bases correctly, and it was like all the broadcast.
Speaker 2: Cabals about the hit to center field.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he kind of just lingered at second yeah, and with no outs, right, And I felt really bad because what a freaking bonehead move.
Speaker 2: It's the World Series.
Speaker 1: I know you're young, but what the hell you should know that he should know what to do.
Speaker 2: He's young, but he's been playing the game for fishing. Sure, but his face.
Speaker 1: I felt so bad for him because he knew he was what a bonehead move? And is this going to cost us the series? Are we gonna lose this game and be swept the Yankees? I could hear everything going on inside his head, so that when he hit that grand slam, I felt so good for him, like I felt, I felt so happy that he was able to have a little.
Speaker 2: Bit of vindication. Yeah, I don't know what he saw. I don't know either.
Speaker 1: I don't know, and I didn't listen to any of the postgame stuff. All I did all I did as I saw the quote from him that said something to the effect of, you know, they're like, what's it like to hit a grand Slam in the World Series? And He's like, it's my dream, It's always my dream. But it was everyone's dream. It was my cousin's dream. Hell, it was probably my sister's dream.
Speaker 3: I loved that question, even though Freddy Freeman did it earlier in the series already. Yeah, but still, I mean, it's very rare. He, by the way, hit another home run. Did Freddy Freeman to mate to set the record? Now four games, four games, but six consecutive World Series games.
Speaker 2: Back when he was with Atlanta.
Speaker 1: Also, yeah, it's fun talking about how it's no question who the MVP of this will be. Oh yeah, we're not gonna have to wear it on Arizona's voting.
Speaker 2: We're not gonna have to wait on Pennsylvania. It's going to come in pretty quick.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from kfi AM six forty.
Speaker 3: Gary and Shannon kfi AM six forty Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Hey, as We reported to You.
Speaker 1: According to Pew Research, sixty five percent of Americans say they always are often feel exhausted when they think about politics. Coming out up in about an hour, we are going to have a News Nation political contributor Denise Gitcham on.
Speaker 2: She wrote a.
Speaker 1: Book called Politics for People who Hate Politics, How to engage without losing your friends or selling your soul.
Speaker 3: And we know that going into next week is going to be pretty tense. A new set of CNN polls from battleground states show that Kamala Harris has a very thin lead in two of the blue Wall states. Donald Trump ties her in the third. In Michigan, Harris is up five. In Wisconsin, she's up six and in Pennsylvania they are tied at forty eight percent. The vast majority of those what are considered blue Wall state voters have locked in their choices. In fact, eight percent of likely voters in Pennsylvania, seven percent in Michigan, six percent in Wisconsin say they could change their minds before election day, so tiny percentages of people could change their minds.
Speaker 2: Would you like another ghost story? Okay?
Speaker 1: This one is from Hungary, The Marble Bride. Through the branches of stately trees on a leafy avenue in Hungary's capital, passerby and spot an unusual figure keeping solemn watch from above, the statue of a woman with a mournful expression peering from a stone balcony. The sculpture is known as the Marble Bride. It's unlike any of the other frescoes on surrounding buildings in Budapest, and the mystery of its presence has produced legends that go back nearly a century. In one, a young couple shared an apartment in the building. When the husband was called to fight in World War One, the wife waited patiently on the balcony each day for his return, and when a letter arrived with the news of his death on the front. The woman died right there of a broken heart, but the letter had been mistaken, and when the husband returned home and found his wife dead, he had a sculpture carved in her honor and placed where she had spent so many days faithfully waiting. Another legend says that the husband never returned from war. I knew it, and unable to accept the death, the woman stayed waiting on the balcony and eventually turned to stone.
Speaker 2: That's the one I believe. That's the one you believe. Yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 3: We have a chance for you to win one thousand dollars. Here's how you pick it up.
Speaker 4: Now your chance to win one thousand dollars. Just enter this nationwide keyword on our website money. That's money, m O n e Y. Enter it now at KFIAM six forty dot com, slash cash Howard by Sweet James Accident Attorneys. If you're hurting an accident, winning is everything, call the winning attorneys at Sweet James one eight hundred nine million that's one eight hundred nine million or sweet James dot com.
Speaker 3: Keyword is money. We're going to do it an hour from now. Give you another chance to win one thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: Three suspects wanted for a series of violent robberies around southern california've finally been picked up. Nineteen twenty eight and thirty two year old guys couple from LA one from Free Know. They said these three were prolific robbery suspects responsible for many other robberies that involved many victims who have yet to be identified. They said one of these robberies took place in mid September September nineteenth, when the suspects confronted a male victim in a parking lot in Woodland Hills. He was punched and attacked as the impact knocked him to the ground. He was pinned on the ground as they removed his jewelry before they took off in a black BMW.
Speaker 1: These kind of sound like the assaults at Fashion Island and South Coast Plaza, where it seems like these people come from out of town. They go where they know people have money and they just wait and then just mug people in broad daylight.
Speaker 3: Sometimes on October twenty fourth, so a few days ago. Last week, two of them, one of them from LA one from Fresno, were arrested by the LAPD. They seized numerous items, including evidence, couple semi automatic pistols, and then the third guy, the nineteen year old, was arrested later that night in Long Beach. All of them charged with will be charged with arm robbery, being held on a million dollars bail each. So oh, by the way, while they were being the crimes were being committed, the nineteen year old was still wearing an ankle monitor from the La County Probation Pre Trial Services following his arrest in a couple of unrelated cases that occurred in July and August.
Speaker 1: PowerPoint presentations have now made their way from the office to the dating world.
Speaker 3: What would you would you put in a PowerPoint presentation about yourself?
Speaker 2: Well, it's about your friends.
Speaker 1: All hands on deck, they say, is a high energy matchmaking event where participants pitch their single friends to an audience of mostly singles with a slide deck presentation.
Speaker 2: Interesting, okay, so I will do your presentation? Oh you will? Yes.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: The campaign day has begun, former President Trump holding the rally in Rocky Mount, North Carolina, right.
Speaker 1: Now the bottom and then it became like an Elon Musk rocket ship.
Speaker 3: Right He's talking about charts that he's looking at. He's headed to Green Bay, Wisconsin. Later in the evening, Vice President Harris campaigning in Raleigh, North Carolina, before she moves on to Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, and then an event in Madison, Wisconsin. Two big endorsements we told you about today. Former Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger endorsed Kamala Harris and Buzz Aldrin endorsed Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: I bowed up this.
Speaker 1: Morning and I was like, who's Arnold? The voting are of like, who's Buzz voting?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: NBC News has been tallying the number of early in person and mail in boat ballots that have been cast. Fifty four million people have all already voted. Fifty four million, ridiculously high.
Speaker 1: There's the story on a Good Day LA about people dying their pets, Dodger Blue Stop.
Speaker 2: It seems a little bit much. Your dog doesn't care. No.
Speaker 1: There was an article in the La Times about a new dating ritual going on. It's called all hands on Deck. It is not your typical singles mixer. This is where participants pitch their single friends to an audience of singles with a slide deck presentation like you would give to your team at a data report meeting. The example they use is a woman who is preparing to pitch her friend the audience of roughly two hundred. A few of their pals skip around the room holding up cardboard signs that' say team Jason to hype up the crowd. A live band is they're playing early two thousand's pop. The eleiger eligible bachelor I E. Jason makes his way to the stage, sits on a couch under a spotlight. The woman says into the microphone, who is Jason, before turning to the PowerPoint style presentation on two TV screens. The slide shows some of his baby photos, and the woman continues into the mic A boy looking for a gal in this sad, lonely la world. She starts listing reasons why her friend is a catch. He is artsy, he's financially stable, family oriented, goes to therapy over six feet and off tinder.
Speaker 3: Uh, this is probably a good idea if you're okay. So, if you're looking for a guy, you would want somebody who are very important. Yeah, endorsed by his friends. Does it matter that they're women or I mean, is it more important that they're women as opposed to a dude hyping up his buddy.
Speaker 1: It depends on what kind of duty is Okay, you know, if it's Gavin Newsome and a bunch of his rich no sock wearing I worry about my hair more than you do, friends, their validation.
Speaker 2: Is going to be nothing to me. Okay, they talk.
Speaker 3: It was an unnecessary shot, probably not just about the hair or the no socks thing, but that's okay. These people pitch their single friends to the audience of mostly singles with this slide deck presentation of PowerPoint stuff.
Speaker 2: And we've seen PowerPoint in all the play.
Speaker 3: My daughter put together a PowerPoint presentation to decide which college she wanted.
Speaker 2: To go to.
Speaker 1: One of my friends her daughter put together a PowerPoint presentation on why she should have snapchat on her phone. And when they're well done, they really do impress.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they do, they do. They hold this by the way at House of Boy. That's a word that I've never seen before.
Speaker 2: I don't know that word, and I don't want to say it wrong.
Speaker 3: Cook cot in the Arts District and the two people have put it on been dating for five years. They wanted this thing called All Hands on Deck to feel like a full on production. There's stage lights, there's a live ban, there's prizes.
Speaker 1: Cocotte is the French term for a Dutch oven.
Speaker 2: Well that makes me laugh. Well, not like that. You don't know that. And they say that silence is not golden.
Speaker 3: They encourage this to be a very loud and boisterous thing and encourage the crowd to get involved. So they said, they get about two hundred online submissions from participants. They select fifteen people based on which ones have the most intriguing and entertaining slide decks. The participants take turns presenting their slide decks limited to four minutes, images, videos, stories, and facts about the person that they're pitching.
Speaker 2: Basically.
Speaker 3: Some people even threw in extra theatrics and party favors. One woman passed out chocolate bars with a handmade label.
Speaker 1: This would be perfect for you because it incorporates creativity. You know you would you would make a very good PowerPoint presentation. I believe you would accept the full male theater.
Speaker 3: But the first slide would be you saying the reason he's single, is because his wife left him?
Speaker 2: No, I wouldn't say that. How would you?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 2: I would ignore that, I would say you were I would lie, I would say you were a widower. Okay, if you lead with his wife left him, yeah, that's a red flag.
Speaker 3: So if you are in the audience and you see somebody up there that you like, you can virtually raise your hand, is what they say. You push a button on the website or on your phone.
Speaker 1: What I meant to say was you'd be very good at doing this for one of your friends. The power point, the acting, the hyping of the crowd, all of that.
Speaker 2: I don't have any friends that need to date.
Speaker 1: I'm it's a hypothetical, got it? Okay, right, you're too old for this.
Speaker 3: And then if you click that pick me button, then it's up to this the bestie, the single, the single's bestie, the presenter to decide who their person is going to go out.
Speaker 1: Now, to that end, would you trust your friends picking somebody for you?
Speaker 3: I would have to hand select my friends that were involved in the selection process.
Speaker 2: Really, you wouldn't trust well.
Speaker 3: I'd be to be honest, I might let's say I have to come up with a team of three to choose whoever I would date. I would pick probably one of my sisters. A h well, she would I would pick one of my sisters because she would have the female perspective, but also the knowledge of my family perspective, like is this person going to fit in with my family?
Speaker 2: And then a couple of dudes. Okay, yeah, because.
Speaker 1: If your wife left you hypothetical Okay, I'd want to be one of your pickers. Okay, because I think that I would be the picker that like, pick someone, you know, a little shady, somebody on you know, somebody a little edgy.
Speaker 2: Some mother would push me off my.
Speaker 1: Balance, Yeah, just to see what would happen.
Speaker 2: So you would be the agent of chaos in that hole.
Speaker 1: I'd probably have to go back and reread that choose your adventure book because I probably chose the wrong one, But it would be fun while you were in it.
Speaker 2: You make one choice.
Speaker 3: You turned to page forty seven and it's like one paragraph hell, and then you.
Speaker 2: Died, and then dateline called you to know what he was like, Keith Morrison is on the other end of the line. Did you pick this one? Oh man? Okay?
Speaker 1: Coming up next early voter LA turnout is slow so far.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but do you know what that means. That means November fifth is going to be very busy.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: And I'm a polling place voter too. Nothing wrong with that. I love it. It makes me feel like an American. We'll talk about what's going on, because.
Speaker 1: As Abraham Lincoln said, a house divided cannot stand. He took that from Mark, verse three from the Bible. The new part. Thank you for the clarification that Mark was in the Bible. Yeah, as opposed to just the book called Mark, the one written by I don't know, Tom Clancy or something like that.
Speaker 2: Chapter three.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Got a message from Ernest. He says, good morning, Shannon. I am a retired parole agent. I started my own security company. On my current contract, I patrol the Costco parking lot. My job is to keep the transient population out of the parking lot.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 1: There's a large number of crows that are always in the parking lot, flying around looking for food. Since I listened to the story about them being really smart, I've been feeding them leftover pizza that people leave behind in the hopes we can become friends and that they can help me patrol the property and keep the Costco members safe. He says, also, avocado mayonnaise is delicious. See former he's a fellow Chico State alumni. Really as well, class of two thousand. We were there at the same time.
Speaker 2: That wasn't They still had classes after I left.
Speaker 1: Well after that they had what they had to do is they had a silkwood scrub that entire campus.
Speaker 2: Really because of me, Yeah, because of me.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The Menendez brothers are now asking specifically Gavin Newsom to release them from prison before Thanksgiving. Mark Geragis, according to TMZ, is filing documents today to ask Governor Newsom for clemency for his clients. A couple a few dozen people actually have been killed in catastrophic flooding in Spain. The Prime minister there in Spain is deploying soldiers to some of these regions in warning residents that there could be more flooding and more danger. Rescuers are trying to find survivors and bodies in the mud in areas like Malaga and Valencia, Spain.
Speaker 1: Fewer La County voters are turning in early ballots compared to the last presidential race. The officials here say that they are stepping up security members to prevent voter tampering or intimidation. It says there have been no credible threats here in La County to polling locations or workers. Of course, those ballot boxes were burned in Portland, Ogre, Oregon, in Vancouver, Washington, and as I mentioned, I could see I could profile them perfectly as far left progressive people there. And it turns out that they left notes saying free Gaza, free Palestine.
Speaker 2: All that stuff, and the twenty year old Volvo right.
Speaker 1: That was a sign, a telltale sign.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: So as of yesterday, about nine hundred thousand early ballots had been cast in La County. The assistant Registrar, Monica Flores, said that that rate is about thirty to forty percent of the previous presidential election. Now, remember four years ago we were dealing with COVID, so a lot of people voted early through mail in simply because they didn't want to stand in line with a bunch of people for fear that they were going to die. And it turns out, she says, it could be low turnout in general. I don't know why she thinks that she said. It could be that more people will be voting in person, or it could be that folks are just waiting to vote later on in the election period, waiting to vote on election day. One hundred and twenty two early voting centers around La County have been opened since Saturday, and as of Monday night, about forty seven thousand people had done the early in person voting. But all of this comes down to what happens on Tuesday night, and whether it's in La County or Maricopa County, Arizona, or wherever. Everybody's got their own procedures on how to do this. That's why the federal government leaves it up to the states to run these elections. And that's why each state does it differently. It's why some places actually do it hand counting, some places do it simply through machine counting, and some people. Some places allow early counting of the votes without having the tally released. Some say you can't count one ballot until the polls close on Tuesday night. And that's why we get all of the discrepancies in terms of which states report, when they report, and how complete. Their reporting is in La County specifically, they've already prepared this big counting era that they're going to be. The tally will begin on election day about eight hundred workers at this vote center in the city of Industry, where sheriff's deputies will be dropping off the collected ballots to this one place. They've already been these eight hundred workers logging the mail in ballots, verifying signatures. Rows of workers will inspect the envelopes for any damage or any oddities hanging chads before they wind their way down this process that includes account of the ballots, not checking, simply counting them so that they compare that count to the final vote count. Signature check. They remove the ballot from the envelope and then those paper mail in ballots go through a talling machine that scans them, but they're not actually counted until eight o'clock on election night, right after the polls close.
Speaker 2: Did you see that Robert F.
Speaker 1: Kennedy Junior said that Trump promised him control of Health and Human Services as well as the Department of Agriculture. Yeah, the CDC, the FDA, the NIH and then USDA.
Speaker 2: You take all of it.
Speaker 3: Have a hard time that they would put believing that he would have one guy in charge of it and that.
Speaker 1: They can confirm that he'd get confirmed right, all vaccine situation.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be an uphill climb in Congress, all right.
Speaker 1: Coming up next, we will talk swamp watch all of the unfortunate election news, but also the tragic love story that became a ghost story of May Knack in Bangkok, one of the most famous pieces of folklore in Thailand.
Speaker 2: We're gonna do that.
Speaker 1: We can make by the way Friday because we're doing global ghost stories next Friday.
Speaker 3: We're going to be live at Luchador Brewing Company in Chino Hills, so that's Friday, November eighth, will be at Luchador Brewing Chino Hills for our latest news in brews and we're going to help them get ready for Hops in the Hills, which is an event that's going to be held on a Saturday, November ninth, which includes things like unlimited beer tastings, Lucha Libre wrestling, a live DJ, food games, raffles, free access to an after party. We are going to be giving away tickets to Hops in the Hills when we do our news and bruise on Friday, So come on out and say hi.
Speaker 2: Everybody's been asking us for go out to Inland Empire.
Speaker 3: This is about you know, you can't get much more Chino Hills than Chino Hills.
Speaker 2: We also have a twelve o'clock hour cover Pretty good. What Yeah, we have a twelve o'clock hour today.
Speaker 1: All right, stop, The trailers are already up by the way trio of trailers for you to peruse on our website at Gary and Shannon. And don't forget it's over. The tragic love slash ghost story of Maynac Maynack, Gary and Channon will continue right after this. You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and any time time on demand on the iHeartRadio app.