Speaker 1: It's with Dan Ray. I'm going easy Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, My thanks to my guest last hour, Karine Haja, Boston Globe editorial writer. And by the way, I hope that many of you who listened to the entire hour understood the purpose of the interview was to just realize that she is in a very interesting position as a young conservative twenty you know, graduate of Harvard in twenty twenty one. She's in her mid twenties and in a position of great influence and great impact as a Boston and greater Bostonian who now and she's doing very well at the Globe, and I commend the Globe for having some genuine diversity. I mean somedays some days. And she's not an editorial she does write off ed pieces. Uh so she isn't she's a she's an opinion writer. But she's also involved in the editorial process. And you have to understand the mechanics of that. Not only is her her byline columns and her opinion columns appear under her name, just as they do with Jefter Kobe, or with Scott Lehigh or Joan Venaki or any of the other Boston Globe columnists who are on the editorial page. Then you have the other columnists who are on the Metro page, including Adrian Walker, who are not related to the editorial comment they are they are pure editorial, that pure columnists of their opinion, with their opinions. But to be a member of that group that decides what editorial subjects the Globe will take, it's a significant position. Now she's going to be in the minority a lot, but it is a position of great influence and she will be a journalistic superstar in my humble opinion, and that's why I wanted to introduce her to all my audience tonight. Now I want to talk about this shooting on Boyleston Street in Boston on Saturday, late Saturday, which has really shaken that neighborhood. So I watched the local evening newscast tonight who covered the story and covered reaction to it. Boston is priding itself on a reduction citywide in terms of homicides, which is which is something to be proud of and something that the city can it can take pride in, and it started under Mayor Walsh and has continued now under Mayor wu. The problem that Mayor WU has in terms of crime is the crime that has metastasized from mass and casts to downtown Boston, down to the downtown crossing area down to now is now leaking over into Boylston Street. So you had this situation on Saturday night, and I hope some of you know about it, but for those of you that don't, uh, literally in Copley Square, literally in Copley Square, uh, not not far from the Copley Plaza Hotel uh and all of the great structures, the Boston Public Library, uh and and great you know churches and all of that. Next close to Newbury Street, there was some sort of a beef that evolved. According to all that, and I haven't covered the story, but basically watching channels four and five, pretty clear that some sort of an argument had occurred on Boyleston Street or near Boyleston Street, and a couple of individuals had run into the Chick fil A, I assume, figuring that they would be safe there, but this individual allegedly followed them with a knife, intending to do harm or at least threaten And there was an off duty Boston Police officer there who had the presence of mind to realize what was evolving was a potentially dangerous situation. He put his own life on the line through his service rep weapon and told this guy to drop the knife. I didn't comply. Now I don't know if there was a words exchange. I suspect that were but whatever, the police officer ended up shooting this guy. And Mayor Wu showed up at the shooting scene, which is fine, is certainly well within her prerogative. But she made a comment which upset a lot of people and to me was tone deaf. Rob This is this is the statement that the mayor made. Cut forty one A. It is in it's more, it's in greater context than perhaps folks might have heard. Please play cut forty one A. This is Mayor Wu offering condolences initially to the family of the individual who was shot by the Boston police officer. Now, you can feel sorry for any family, but this sounds to me like a tone deaf Mayor Wu, or maybe how a Mayor Woo actually feels.
Speaker 3: My condolences and all of our thoughts are with the family of the individual whose life has been lost. And I am also thinking of all the people who were impacted here today in one of the busier parts of the city with this tragedy. Glad that the officer is safe and very grateful for a quick response from all of our first responders. Here again, and I'm such an active part of Boston.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is an active part of Boston when you have people running into fast food stores wielding a knife and apparently I'm looking at a piece out of the Boston Boston dot Com. Two people were chased inside Chick fil A on Boyleston Street around five twenty seven by a man armed with a knife, according to Boston Police and off duty Boston police officer. This is a story by Molly Ferrar in Boston dot Com. Off duty bust and police officer shot and killed a man who was allegedly wielding a knife inside a restaurant near Boston Back Base Copley Square. Saturday, two people were chased inside a Chick fil A on Boylston Street by a man armed with a knife, and off duty officer who was at the restaurant identified himself as a police officer, told the man to drop his weapon. This according to Police Commissioner Michael Cox. The man who has not been identified. He was identified today allegedly did not comply. The off duty officer then shot the man, who was later pronounced that at a local hospital. The officer was also transported to the hospital to be evaluated, and there are no other reported injuries. Cox says, we don't look for loss of life, so our condolences go to the individual who was killed tonight. Again, why would Michael Cox say that, I mean, I don't understand it. We're proud of the police officers who activate themselves, whether it's on duty or off duty, to try to save all lives, but to lead with the comment about condolences, it almost sounded like the guy that the police officer shot was considered a victim. I mean, he's dead. I get it. Sad for him, sad for his family, but thank god there was someone there who interrupted him. I don't assume and let the investigation go forth, that the police officer woke up that morning and said, man, I hope I get an opportunity today to kill some guy who might be willed a knife and a Chick fil A. No, that wasn't it at all, and it shows that not only the mayor, but now apparently the police commissioner. It says all of the officials, including some founding District Attorney Kevin Naden, whose office will leave the investigation, said Mayor Wu. And Mayor Wu also spoke at the press conference. All of the officials offered theirs is to the family and friends of the man killed. I mean, is there something that that is tone deaf about that to you? Or am I am I reading something into it that shouldn't be read into it. I'm going to open up phone line six one seven, two, five, four to ten thirty six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. Why is it that we need to be so politically correct that an individual. I mean, if if some police officer in Dallas, Texas in nineteen sixty three had walked in to the Texas school Book Depository and saw Oswald in the window about to fire at the presidential motorcade. He told Oswald to drop his gun, and Oswald refused, and the officer killed him. I mean, if there was a Secret Service agent in Butler, Pennsylvania, who was observant enough to see the guy, the twenty year old crawling on a belly on the roof of that shed that was about one hundred and fifty yards away, or one hundred and fifty feet away from the presidential stand where president then candidate Trump, former President Trump was speaking. If that agent from a distance realized what this guy was trying to do, Michael Cook I think was his name, and he popped him and prevented that shot from being fired, would we be offering condolences to the family of the individual who was attempting to assassinate a presidential candidate? What's wrong with us? What's wrong with the people who were electing and the people who were serving in public office who their first reaction is to be so politically correct? I would say, first of all, our support is for the police officer who was placed in a very difficult situation who responded professionally and saved lives. We're not happy that someone died. But when people walk the streets of Boston carrying weapons with the intent or the apparent attempt to do harm to others, and they refuse to comply with what a police officer instructs them to do to drop a weapon, they are responsible for what occurred to them because if they had dropped the weapon, they never would have been shot. When is someone gonna in public office or in police leadership make a comment similar to that in these sorts of circumstances six one seven, the only one line open is six one seven, two, five, four, ten thirty Agree or disagree. We'll come right back on night Side.
Speaker 1: Now, bent to Dan Way live from the Window World to night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Now before we go to phone calls. In fairness to Mayor WOA, she tried to sort of explain herself today. It was given an opportunity to sort of, I guess in some form or fashion, revise and revoke her remarks. This is cut forty three. She would have none of that cut forty three.
Speaker 3: I am a mayor focused on not just being at press conferences, but being on the ground. So the point of being there was to make sure that everyone was okay on the scene and to find out directly what the details were of what had happened as they were unfolding in a very chaotic situation in one of the busiest parts of our city.
Speaker 4: And so.
Speaker 3: This is my job to show up when it's needed and to make sure that we are doing the work that's needed day in and day out, whether it's in front of the cameras or especially when the cameras aren't there to take care of our city and keep everyone safe.
Speaker 2: But mayor why the condolences to the family of the individual that was wielding a knife. Too bad that he had to die, but he could have prevented the police officer from shooting by dropping the knife. Do you think that maybe maybe your remarks on Saturday night were misplaced? Cut forty two, Rob.
Speaker 3: You know, it's unfortunate to politicize being at the scene of a tragic incident. Our officers are in extremely difficult and dangerous situations every single day keeping our residents safe, and I expressed condolences along with our police Commissioner and District Attorney, because every loss of life is a horrible tragedy. I am also grateful every hour of every day for the work of our Boston Police officers. And in this case, we had an off duty officer who saw something happening is training, kicked in and took action and surely saved even more lives.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, because the guy whose family you offer condolences to, you just acknowledged probably, if left undeterred, would have killed others. I don't know, I just don't get it. I just don't get it. Maybe Glenn does Glenn, go right ahead, you've been holding on the door. Ahead, Glenn, how are you?
Speaker 5: I agree with I agree with you? With the other percent I heard, if I didn't know any better, heads the police commissioner is heither a member of Black Lives Matter? Where he's a self hating cop. I mean he's giving he's calling condonnces to a victim who didn't have to be a victim. Only had to do is obey the office's command.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't, I don't know. I saw a picture of the victim tonight. He was didn't. I don't think he's black, not that it really matters whether you're okay. And and and one of the reports on Channel five tonight basically reported that this guy had had a long rap sheet the you know, the long rap sheet of including apparently his his girlfriend.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: He beat up his girlfriend at one point, who was still standing by him. She was, you know, she said, you know, he's a wonderful human being. Uh. And and and also robbed a woman at knife point at an MBT A station, so you know he's he's wielded a knife before. And apparently he had also been arrested in in in Hwell and also in Quinsy. So he had spread joy to a number of communities, or as I would call it, you know, criminal activity to a number of communities. You know, he he never committed murder, but I guess that police officer easily could have prevented him from fulfilling that that set of circumstance. It's crazy, It's crazy.
Speaker 5: That's what I mean. I wish maybe the officer had tase them so we could put them on, you know, find out what is I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, well, I mean, you know, I don't know that the officers off duty. I don't think that officers tasers. You know, there are also individuals who who are unaffected by tasers. I've seen police officers use tasers on individuals who just continued on. And you're in it. Imagine yourself. You're in a fast food joint like Chick fil a. I mean, generally in those situations, you can reach out in touch with the thrust of your arm, four or five other people, a couple of people standing in front of you, a couple of people behind you, and he apparently had followed a couple of people. When this report comes out, I just think that the instinct is, well, we you know, the instinct is never with the police officer. The the the empathy and the sympathy that these progressive politicians show are always with the person who least.
Speaker 5: That's why with the Democratic Party and became a conservative. I mean I've always well I've always had great respects for law enforcement. Yeah, that's why.
Speaker 2: And again, someone you are someone who's blind, you can be a target of crime. You've never been the target of crime, but just as older people have you.
Speaker 5: No, if someone said to me, it's a good it's why were you? You know, I wouldn't go outside with a MAGA hat or a shirt that says proud to be a deplorable because you're a walking target.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about the fact that you're blind and you do not have the ability to see someone who's either necessarily following you. I often, if I pass someone on the street and they go in the opposite direction, depending upon the time of night, the circumstances, you know, I give a look just to make sure that this person doesn't want to turn around and whack me on the back of the head and see what sort of Well, if I have any pictures of dead presidents on me? Yeah, I mean that's that's something every city kid learns. Glenn.
Speaker 5: Well, that's why I don't wear a bat. But somebody said someone own dangy lady, and Jude said you should have a backpack, and I said, why So we're criminal on the street. Oh I see a blind man with the can. They can go and behind me. He can take something out of it.
Speaker 2: You bet, all right, Glenn, I appreciate it. We're at we're so, I got a break for Hello, I got to break for news.
Speaker 5: Okay, can I say quick? I bought her last kiss. She's on my origial favorite Females.
Speaker 2: It's a long list. Thanks Glenn, talk to you so appreciate you listening all right back right after the news at the bottom of the hour.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Ray on you Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Dan Watkins. Let's get right back to the call is going to go to Chuck and East Boston. Chuck, you are a next door nightside Welcome.
Speaker 5: Man, How are you doing.
Speaker 2: I'm doing great, Jock. Welcome to Welcome to the show.
Speaker 4: Then, long time listener, does that means.
Speaker 2: Chuck does that mean.
Speaker 4: No, No, I've I've start talking to many many times before.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much for acknowledging your listenership. That's important.
Speaker 4: Thank you, thank you, thank you. With the situation the other day with Chick fil A, you know a couple of things that has has come up. We have a Boston police officer that was forced into using his weapon, and I'm sure that that's this guy did not wake up in the morning saying, you know, I'm just gonna go plug somebody tonight. That that that, believe me. I know a lot of police officers and this is not what they what they hang the hat on.
Speaker 2: Chuck, I said the exact same thing in my opening monologue to this hour, and that is that that you know this this guy is out getting himself a sandwich, and all of a sudden he realizes he's the only person in this in this location that has any ability to try to control this situation, and.
Speaker 5: He did what he had to do.
Speaker 2: I'm sure he didn't pull his gun out and just fire five shots as quickly as he could. Obviously there's plenty of witnesses. I'm sure he said, Boston Police, drop your drop your weapon, drop it right now and who knows, the guy probably didn't say to him, officer, thank you very much. I so apologize and drop it on the floor. You know as well as I do that it probably was an expletive deleted that I can't say on the air. And at that point, what's wrong with what is wrong with what is wrong with our elected and appointed leader, is that they don't see it that way. Shock.
Speaker 4: The bottom line is, they spoke when they should not have spoke. They should have let the investigation come through and followed through. If there was any kind of a situation or any kind of condolences that shuld be made to anybody, they should have done it, maybe to a family or whoever directly, but not posted publicly.
Speaker 2: It was actually tonight on one of the newscasts. On one of the newscasts tonight, I'm not sure if it was four or five. The family of this guy apparently said they were keeping in their prayers the police officer's family.
Speaker 4: Of course, of course, this this this police officer want to protect the the residents of Boston to his full stability, was forced into a situation where he had to use his weapon, and he this is something that he is going to have to deal with for the rest of his life. And he doesn't deserve it. But but but for the grace of God, he was there to protect life. Unfortunately, this guy. You know, they say that when you play stupid games, you win stubid prizes. And this guy brought a nice situation where he shouldn't have.
Speaker 2: And I don't no doubt and this is complish. This is Copley Square across from the Boston Public Library, in the shadow of the Trinity Church. I mean, you couldn't have a nicer heart of Boston, of the of Boston's back bay. And what has happened is there have been police attitudes that have gone on now for years, which is, don't confront, let them go, don't pursue. Uh. You've got you've got the the moped gangs which are terrorizing some parts of the city. You got the people the druggies downtown who have basically taken over, uh, the the downtown crossing area. And it's getting me. It's getting out of control. And you know, if I was the mayor, I say, look, jan, what's that.
Speaker 4: It's not not to stop you, but it's not getting out of control. It's been out of control for many years, and it needs to be switched up, and we need to move forward. We need to get control of our city and and and and be cognizant of our laura biding citizens and protect them to the best of our ability. That's all I have to say.
Speaker 2: I appreciate your calling. Keep calling the show. Thank you much.
Speaker 4: I sure will.
Speaker 2: Brother, right, all right, thank you much. Let me go to Jean. Jean, you were next on Nisach right ahead.
Speaker 6: Hi, Dan, So, I have been trying to bring notice about all the crime going on in Boston. It's from Haymarket all the way up to Chinatown, passed it up to Boil around the Common on Tremont, Downtown, everywhere, and the may is not interested. Neither is the police chief. I'm going to say it again. They're not interested. They're not doing anything about it. But what I'd like to do is, well, well, let me ask you.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this, Gene. You live outside of Boston. Have you called their offices in Boston and identified yourself or have you just talked about it to friends neighbors? What have you done?
Speaker 6: I have friends who work in Boston and are face to face with that problem every single day. Trying to go to work.
Speaker 2: No, I understand. Look, we certainly, we understand, and we agree that the problem exists. My question was to you, I wasn't sure if you had called and spoken to their offices, to the offices and you had been treated in a cavalier manor, or if you have simply talked to people about it. I wasn't sure what you were claimed you have done.
Speaker 6: Would be a fruitless event for me to even bother speaking to any of them. They don't care, They obviously don't care that it's spent several years. Now, then to spend hell in Boston downtown people walking to work, Jean.
Speaker 2: We're repeating, We're repeating the obvious. Okay, we understand you, and I agree that Boston from a crime perspective is stating worse. Well, I don't wouldn't call it a hellhole in honesty, but yeah, yeah, yeah, Gene, bear me out here. Okay, I was in Boston yesterday. You know I'm not spending as much time in Boston as I once did. I chose to have uh dinner. I could have easily stayed in Boston yesterday and had dinner in Boston yesterday, but my wife and I had dinner in a suburb last night. We met some friends and had dinner at a lovely restaurant outside the city of Boston. And the city doesn't understand that loss of clientele either. So yeah, I get into Boston quite often, but I don't spend a lot of money in Boston anymore.
Speaker 6: To be honest with you, no, I never go there anymore. But take a walk from Heim. I got up to Boilston Street, down down through Tremont.
Speaker 2: Jean, you're preaching. You're preaching to the to the You're preaching to the choir here.
Speaker 6: No, I know, I'm just saying the experience.
Speaker 2: When was the last time, When was the last time you were in Boston?
Speaker 6: It's earth shattering. I haven't been there for several months, but you know, here and there I might have to go, but I wouldn't go anywhere except for the North End, to be honest, I don't feel safe anywhere pasted there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, the North End has their problems as well.
Speaker 6: Jean, thank you for Can I thank that police officer if you wouldn't mind, did you just did? He saved the innocent lives that night, God bless.
Speaker 2: Thank you you appreciate your call. Okay, let me go to Bernie in New Hampshire. Burnie, gonna get you in here before the break. How are you, Bernie?
Speaker 5: Good?
Speaker 7: How are you doing tonight?
Speaker 2: Dare a little wound up, but I feel that I have a right to be. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Absolutely. I work in Boston quite a bit. I've been in that Chipila a few times. And it's like you said, wall to wall people, and it sounds like, I don't know just from what I'm hearing, A very bad man tried to do a very bad thing, and he got called the task on it, and unfortunately someone did die, good or bad, he still died, and and that's that's terrible for the person's family, but it's good for the people that may have gotten heard, because if you're well known in a quot a log, guilt or innocence is presumed by an imposition of the will. And it sounded like he was trying to impose his will on somebody, and the officer who was trained to do what he did, unfortunately how to do what he did, and something bad happened, and that's somebody dying. But something could happen, and that maybe innocent people didn't get hurt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean if if if let us say that police officer instead of that off duty police officer, instead of being in the Chick fil Ah was in a restaurant one block away, who would have been there to have interrupted whatever the assailant had in mind?
Speaker 4: Correct?
Speaker 7: Maybe no one, because sometimes when when seconds matter, the police are wontem only minutes away. But that's another story for another day.
Speaker 4: But the thing is, what would you say that?
Speaker 7: What would you say just why wouldn't go ahead?
Speaker 2: Now? What would you say to the mayor?
Speaker 7: I mean, yeah, yeah, putout the facts? Why would she make this? Because you know what my opinion is. I could be wrong, but my opinion on this matter is she's of the Chicago liberal frame of mind that, like you said that, let's like stand up for a put a people or whatever. I don't I don't know what what she's playing to. But without the facts, why would you do something like that without finding out exactly like maybe maybe the man was mentally ill and or something like I'm not saying that's the case, but like without the but but what would he do that?
Speaker 2: But Bernie, let let's assume, let's let's take the worst case scenario. Let's assume that this guy truly was mentally ill, okay, and he walked into that Chick fil A seeking revenge against someone, okay, and at the police officer doesn't have a chance to say to the guy, hey, look, do me a favor. Let's sit down here and talk this out, okay, those the time for that has long passed when the guy's wielding the knife in proximity of other people. So I mean, I don't know. I mean, I would think anybody who would pull a knife out of Chick fil A is by definition mentally ill, you know. And but I don't think the police officer has a right to run some sort of a mental competency test before he discharges his weapon. Once he's told the individual, I'm a police officer, dropped the weapon, drop the weapon on the floor. And at that point that individual, you know, I suspect that that if he had dropped the weapon, I don't think the police officer would have shot him.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm of the same failing. And like I said, sometimes that you well know, it depended on a passion. A person had a very bad moment and something escalated and happened. But this sounded like it was a bad man that wasn't going to be listening to reason.
Speaker 2: But even if that guy but Bertie, what I'm trying to say is, what I'm trying to say is that that even if this guy was mentally ill, it would make it It would make it horrible and very sad. But the police officer doesn't have the benefit of second guests like you and I. I mean, we could find out that this guy had an IQ of thirty, but he does. The police officer has to make a judgment life or death. And the police officer there were other people standing there. This guy could have. You could slash someone's throat in a New York second, and he's got to he's gotta have confidence when the police officer says, drop the knife, I'm telling you drop the knife.
Speaker 4: Right and not being said.
Speaker 7: Now, My last question to you, Dan is do not the Boston Police work for the mayor of Boston?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they worked?
Speaker 7: Will that work for her without the fact.
Speaker 2: You know, you know that the answer to that question is inherent and why it's asked. It is a mindset. It is a mindset that, unfortunately for Mayor Wu overwhelms her and she's not capable of seeing good and evil. It's all the same. And the good guy was the police officer, or would have been a civilian with the gun. I mean, thank god it was a police officer. If it was a civilian with a gun, no, that would even be worse, if you know what I'm saying, Bertie, I got a run. Talk to you soon. I thank you too, my friend. Coming right back on night Side only line available six one seven back right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Rayne line from the Window World night Side Studios on w b Z, the news radio.
Speaker 2: The Fact we go. The's go to Steve Lowell. Steve, you were next on Nightside. Where are you driving tonight, Steve?
Speaker 7: Oh? So you know it's truck driver, Steve. Rob told you.
Speaker 2: No, I saw as soon as I saw it. I figured it out ahead.
Speaker 8: Well, I must command Rob Brooks. So he's terrific, works hard. So I got a couple of points, Dan one, I'd like to have a police officer please call in. I know the train to kill, and I know every circumstance is different, but if somebody wielding a knife is real close to you, you have to shoot to kill. But I'm saying if they come after you, like run at you. Why can't they shoot them in the lake instead of killing them?
Speaker 4: It's just a question I have. I'm wondering from a.
Speaker 8: Police officer's perspective, how they would handle that instead of killing.
Speaker 2: Them all the time.
Speaker 9: And I'm and I'm full of blue, don't get me wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well, I think I think they're trained to shoot. This is I think the train to shoot center body mass. Okay, if they're gonna, if they're gonna use the weapon, it's center body mass. Some will say, for example, Steve, why not just wing him in the hand and that way he'll drop the knife. That's not It's not like the lone ranger anymore.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: And exactly.
Speaker 2: The point O, Thank god that you and I will never be in that position where we have to take someone's life.
Speaker 9: Right, And I feel, I really feel for the homeless, some of there by choice a lot on all. And once again, this is the political thing, and I'm gonna make it that is that people voted for liberal lack of leadership week leadership, What I would do? I know, I've been thinking this true. I don't know how many paddy wagons they have.
Speaker 2: You can't say paddy wagons. You have to say police wagons with paddy wagons. Sorry, sorry, politically correct, it's a MICROAGGRESSI maybe it's a macro aggression. I don't know.
Speaker 9: Well that is for the unruly ones, but for the ones, I understand, they're gonna be in the city near you know, establishments, But I don't think really that owners like them coming into their stores. And again, I'm not putting down the homeless. It's just they would love to see that whole area cleared out. And I was thinking maybe the city of Boston spend their money wisely and get a bunch of moving vans.
Speaker 10: And put everything nice and neatly in a moving van and transport the homeless on the woods, well, somewhere where they're not out in the boonies, but somewhere out of the city.
Speaker 3: Were in the city.
Speaker 2: I think we're in dreamland at that point, Steve, because what are you gonna do? Just the American Civil Liberties Union would be in in Federal court or wherever Uhsdale you know as well as that?
Speaker 4: Okay, well I didn't. I didn't know that.
Speaker 9: That's why you're wiser than I am and much younger than I am.
Speaker 2: I like it, Steve. I want to get one more in here before the break. Okay, Thanks Jan, Thanks Bell? Be well you drive working tonight?
Speaker 9: Are I'm heading, No, whisker, I'm not too far from wister right now?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 4: And then on do you work?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 2: Man? Great talk you too. Let me go to Melissa and Oregon. Melissa, want to get you in here before the break, right ahead, Melissa.
Speaker 11: Hey Dan, it's nice to hear your your show. You know, I was really really saddened today when I when I heard the update on the news, I actually thought the newscaster made a mistake because I would have thought that the mayor would have thanked the police officer for being.
Speaker 4: There, you know, and stepping up and that, and that would have been wrong.
Speaker 11: But here's my question for you, and I I don't want it to come across sarcastic, but I'm very sincere. How does what makes somebody want to be a police officer during these times like, how do you recruit somebody to be a police officer?
Speaker 5: Today?
Speaker 2: Well, Boston is having by the way, Boston is having trouble recruiting police officers. Our police department is down about one hundred and fifty police officers, and it has been down for years, and part of it is the problem. They ran a program a year ago where they wanted to invite police officers from surrounding communities to make a lateral move into the Boston Police Department with some additional benefits. Who was like trying to sign you free agent baseball players. Just didn't happen. As a matter of fact, a lot of police officers in Boston probably in other cities too, have left the police work and become firefighters because it's dangerous a job as a firefighter is it probably is less stressful than a police officer because you know, firefighters and the bell rings, they got to be ready. But there's a lot of times when they're downtimes. Police officers, when they're on duty, they never know who's who there. That is they're stopping in the car, they have no clothes, who's going to walk around the corner. But you're absolutely right, Melissa. You know you've had the situation Portland, Oregon. You know you had a crazy They are out there and you're still recovering from that.
Speaker 11: We're still recovering. And I I question all the time because I don't see police officers as often as I would like, and it just makes me sad because, you know, maybe I'm showing my age, but it always seemed like a police officer was such a proud profession, you know, and it feels like they're just getting beat up.
Speaker 2: You know. But you and I as kids were taught police were our friends. And then there have been some actions by individual police officers which have been disgraceful. Okay, I think of Derek Chauvin in Minneapolis and others. Yeah, but they are more police now, it's more representative of every community, whether it's Boston or Portland, Oregon. And we need to get back to that point of view to understand the police that they are to protect us, not to harass us. Listen, well, great to hear yours. I got you in under the wire. So with apologies to a couple of folks I didn't want to have. You have to hold on through the news. We'll talk soon, okay, thanks Melissa. Baseball is only three weeks away, Melissa. That's what love love for baseball. And I was delighted to say to see today that the president has has is going to pardon peoples. We'll be back on night side right after the eleven o'clock news. Stay with us