Speaker 1: Welcome to the deep dive. Today, we're plunging into the world of security orchestration, Automation and Response or so ARE, specifically for security analysts.
Speaker 2: Yeah s, so ARE.
Speaker 1: It's a big topic, it is, and we've got a great resource to guide us, the book Packed Publishing, put out just last year July twenty twenty three. So our mission today is really to unpack what so ARE is all about. You know, why is it so vital now in today's cybersecurity world.
Speaker 2: And maybe most importantly, how it kind of acts like a best friend for sec.
Speaker 1: Analysts exactly, those analysts on the front lines trying to deal with this constant flood of threats.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and for you the listener, we know you're probably juggling a lot, maybe preparing for a discussion, trying to get a handle on new.
Speaker 1: Tech, or maybe just curious.
Speaker 2: Right, we're just playing curious. The challenge is staying informed without getting you know, completely swamped.
Speaker 1: So our goal is to pull out the key insights from this book for you, give you the essentials, but hopefully without drowning you in technical jargon.
Speaker 2: We'll try our best.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, why is this such a hot topic right now? The book makes it pretty clear, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: It really does traditional security measures they're struggling, especially against the sophisticated attacks we see today. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The book even uses some interesting historical parallels like the Trojan horse.
Speaker 2: Right, that classic deception bypassing strong.
Speaker 1: Walls and the fall of constantinople legendary defenses. But well, attackers adapt, methods evolve.
Speaker 2: It really drives home that point. Attackers don't stand still. And the book links this to other modern pressures too, like what, well, there's this increased public awareness about data privacy.
Speaker 1: For one, people care more, and the huge risks financial reputational from attacks. We've all seen the headlines Colonial pipeline Marriott exactly.
Speaker 2: Those are big wake up calls. Plus the whole idea of a network perimeter, it's getting really blurry.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, remote work people using their own devices byod.
Speaker 2: It all makes those traditional digital walls you know, less effective. The old playbook isn't enough.
Speaker 1: And that's precisely where SR comes in, right as the solution, that's the idea.
Speaker 2: It's designed to tackle these challenges head on. SEC teams are often buried in alerts.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: Alert fatigue is real, it is and there's often a shortage of skilled analysts too, so SR promises to help by automating.
Speaker 1: Responses, reducing that alert fatigue, spreamlining investigations, and ultimately just speeding up how quickly incidents get resolved.
Speaker 2: That's the core promise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, let's unpack the core elements of SR then, based on the book, what's fundamental?
Speaker 2: Right? So the foundation, according to the source, has a few key pillars. First up, incident management.
Speaker 1: Okay, what does that involve.
Speaker 2: It's the basics of handling security events in a structured way. Think incident queues, a central place to see everything.
Speaker 1: So things don't slip through the cracks exactly.
Speaker 2: Avoids analysts working in silos missing stuff, especially when alerts are flying in. Then you need clear ownership who's dealing.
Speaker 1: With this right?
Speaker 2: Accountability define severity levels helps prioritize status tracking, where are we with this, the ability to add comments, tags for organization, collaboration features basically shared understanding, and the book mentions investigation spaces too, places to actually dig.
Speaker 1: In and crucially capturing lessons learned afterwards.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, yeah, that's vital for continuous improvement. You have to learn from what happened.
Speaker 1: And the book also talks about aligning this with frameworks like NIST and SANDS.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, NIS the National Institute of Standards and Technology and the SANDS Institute. They provide established cybersecurity frameworks best practices.
Speaker 1: Why is that important?
Speaker 2: Well, Using frameworks like these gives you a structured approach. They cover the whole life cycle.
Speaker 1: Preparation getting ready before anything happens, right.
Speaker 2: Then detection and analysis or identification as SANS calls it, figuring out what's going on, then stopping it, Containment, then eradication, stopping the spread, getting rid of the threat, then recovery getting back to normal, and finally post incident activity. Lessons learned that feedback loop is critical for getting better and refining your defenses. Following these helps everyone speak the same language, uses proven methods, and often helps with compliance too.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's the structured handling. What about the investigation itself with an SR.
Speaker 2: That's the next piece The book stresses analysts need a dedicated space to investigate effectively. You need a good overview of the incident.
Speaker 1: All the key details in one place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tracking things like IP addresses, host names, user accounts involved and it needs to be usable, easy to navigate so analysts can respond fast.
Speaker 1: Speed is critical, I guess.
Speaker 2: Definitely, and the book points out how much time can be wasted just clicking around trying to find data. So a good sor investigation tool helps prioritize based on severity other factors, and importantly, it helps with enrichment.
Speaker 1: Enrichment, what's that.
Speaker 2: Pulling an extra context like getting data from thread intelligence feeds or seeing if the affected system has known vulnerable abilities from your TVM threat and Vulnerability Management system.
Speaker 1: Ah? Okay, So it adds context automatically.
Speaker 2: Ideally yes, Having that enriched info right there helps analysts make quicker, smarter decisions early on.
Speaker 1: Got it? Now, let's talk automation. This feels like the heart of SOO.
Speaker 2: It really is a core component. The book digs into the why, mostly freeing up analysts from repetitive tasks.
Speaker 1: What kind of tasks are we talking about? Things that are done over and.
Speaker 2: Over exactly the low hanging fruit, as the source calls it, Things like looking up the geolocation of an IP address okay, or checking the reputation of a URL is it known to be malicious?
Speaker 1: Right? Stuff analysts do constantly.
Speaker 2: Constantly automating those simple checks means the info is just there, saves triage time let's analysts focus on harder problems.
Speaker 1: But the book also warns about automating everything right.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it's a really important point. You can't just automate blindly. Why not, Well, the book says you need a clear policy. Some critical assets or systems might be a human to sign off before an automated action is taken. You don't want automation accidentally taking down a key business system makes sense, And things like threat hunting that proactive searching for hidden threats that needs human intuition, human expertise. You can't fully automate that creative, investigative work.
Speaker 1: So automation is a tool, not a replacement.
Speaker 2: Precisely it augments the analyst. The book also mentions getting analyst input into the automation workflows and crucially reviewing and maintaining those rules. Regularly threats change, so your automation needs to.
Speaker 1: Adapt to Okay, Then there's reporting. How does SO reporting differ from say, sim reporting, Sam's collect all the logs right right.
Speaker 2: SIME reporting often focuses on visualizing that massive amount of log data. So reporting the book explains, is more targeted towards the incident response process.
Speaker 1: So tracking the incidents themselves.
Speaker 2: Yes, tracking incidents, measuring how effective the automation is, like how many alerts did we close so automatically? What's our mean time to resolve? Stuff like that?
Speaker 1: Performance metrics for this SC.
Speaker 2: Exactly overall SC performance. And the book notes that some platforms are actually blending SIM and SOLAR now, which makes reporting more unified.
Speaker 1: Interesting Okay, And finally, the book briefly mentions Threat of Intelligence TI and Threat and Vulnerability Management TVM. How do they plug in?
Speaker 2: They provide essential context. TI gives you info about known threats, attackers, their methods.
Speaker 1: Like TTPs, tactics, techniques and procedures.
Speaker 2: Right, and TVM tells you about weaknesses in your own systems.
Speaker 1: So connecting those to SO so means when.
Speaker 2: An incident happens, the analyst immediately sees relevant threat intel and knows if the targeted system is vulnerable. It helps assess the risk and decide how to respond much faster and more effectively.
Speaker 1: Okay, that covers the core elements really well. Now, the book does give a quick look at some specific SO tools.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it gives an overview of a few big names. Microsoft Sentinel so Sore, Lunk so that used to.
Speaker 1: Be called phantom, right, I run a phantom and.
Speaker 2: Google Chronicle sohar which came from Simplify.
Speaker 1: So it doesn't compare every single feature, but gives a general idea exactly.
Speaker 2: It looked at common functions across them. Yeah, and you know each has its strengths. Splunk sore is known for being really customizable, good for complex automation okay, and Google Chronicles sr leverages Google's you know, massive threat intelligence and data analytics power.
Speaker 1: So what are some of those common functions it points out?
Speaker 2: Well across the board you see solid incident management, those cues we talked about, detailed case views, timelines managing the investigation life cycle from start to finish. Right then for investigation, they usually offer ways to explore the entities involved users devices, ips and often have thread hunting features built in makes sense. And obviously automation creating rules or playbooks or workflows different names for similar concepts to automate actions and coordinate responses across different security tools.
Speaker 1: Did it give any specific examples for these platforms.
Speaker 2: It did mention a few For Microsoft Sentinel It talked about automational rules triggered by incident creation or updates or even alert.
Speaker 1: Creation, so very flexible triggers.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And it highlighted that playbooks are built using Azure Logic apps. Think of logic ass as the powerful engine underneath that lets you connect to tons of different services and build these workflows graphically. It mentioned actions like changing status assigning owners automatically for plunks so are. It noted the idea of progressing from an event to a formal case, using workbooks to guide investigation step by step, and having a visual playbook builder.
Speaker 1: Visual builders are usually quite helpful.
Speaker 2: They can be. Yeah. And for Google Chronicle SR it mentioned the dashboard for a quick overview case management features and explorer view to visualize connections between security events. Ah, same relationships exactly and the playbook process with triggers and actions. So similar concepts may be implemented slightly differently.
Speaker 1: Right, I make automation really tangible. The book dives a bit deeper into Microsoft's Sentinels automation as an example.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that section is useful for seeing how it works in practice. It explains Sentinels automation rules first.
Speaker 1: What are the key parts of a rule.
Speaker 2: You've got triggers like when an incident is created, conditions like if the incident involves a high value asset or if the severity changes to.
Speaker 1: High so you can be specific very and.
Speaker 2: Then the actions which should happen automatically run a playbook, change the status, assign it to someone, add a tag. Lots of options definitely. The book also mentions setting an expiration date for rules, maybe for temporary ones, and defining the order they run in if you have multiple rules that could apply. Keeps things predictable.
Speaker 1: Okay, And then the playbooks themselves. Those are the actual automated workflows.
Speaker 2: Exactly as mentioned. They're built on azule Logic apps. The book talks about the visual designer, the connectors to integrate with all sorts of things email, ticketing, other security tools APIs.
Speaker 1: So you can connect to almost anything.
Speaker 2: Pretty much es actually using the generic HTTP connector for APIs. It also covers how you handle authentication securely using things like managed identities or service principles, so the playbook has a right permissions without exposing credentials.
Speaker 1: Security for the automation itself important crucial, and the book gives a concrete example of automating enrichment right with virus Total.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's a great example. The idea is an incident comes in with an IP address or a URL. Instead of the analyst manually copying that IP and checking it on virus.
Speaker 1: Total, which takes time, right, the.
Speaker 2: Playbook runs automatically. It grabs the IP or URL from the incident, uses a virus Total connector to query their API for thread intelligence, gets back.
Speaker 1: The reputation any known malicious associations exactly, and.
Speaker 2: Then the playbook automatically adds that information as a comment right back into the sentinel incident.
Speaker 1: Ah, so the analyst sees it immediately immediately.
Speaker 2: The book outlines this flow trigger get entities, call API, add comment. It doesn't give the code, but it shows the purpose us in the value, saves time, provides instant context, huge win.
Speaker 1: That really illustrates the power. Well, okay, so wrapping things up for you the listener, what are the key takeaways from this deep dive into the book on SR.
Speaker 2: Well, hopefully you now have a much clearer idea of what SR actually is. It's core parts Internet management, investigation, automation, reporting, TI.
Speaker 1: Integration, and why it's so important today exactly you've seen.
Speaker 2: How these tools help security teams cope with that massive volume of threats, automating routine stuff, making investigation smoother.
Speaker 1: Leading to faster, better incident response.
Speaker 2: Right, and those Sentinel examples give you a real sense of how it works in practice.
Speaker 1: And like the source materials stressed, staying ahead in cybersecurity means adapting using modern tools.
Speaker 2: Like so far, it's not just about buying more.
Speaker 1: Tools, is it, No, it's about orchestrating them, automating them smartly to make your security team more efficient, more effective, Which.
Speaker 2: Leads to a good question for you to think about. How could these sor principles automation orchestration, centralizing incident management apply to the challenges you see in your organization or your field.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what are those repetitive tasks, those enrichment steps that could maybe be automated? What could free up analyst time for the really tricky stuff. It's worth considering, absolutely, And remember the world of so is always changing, always evolving. I feeling so. We really hope this deep dive service is a good starting point. We encourage you explore the tools we mentioned, maybe look deeper into those NIST and SANDS frameworks.
Speaker 2: Or dig into platforms like Azure logic apps to see what's possible with automation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a lot more to discover. This is really just scratching the surface.