Speaker 3: Thank you, John. That's right.
Speaker 1: I'm the new guy Nick Coffee here with you Kentucky and this morning news on news Radio eight forty whas seven oh five here on a Monday morning. And what I was not expecting. Maybe I should have just expected some type of perk that I didn't know about.
Speaker 3: I get to wave at people.
Speaker 1: There's a window here I'm used to and you know this, you know this, this studio really well, Scott the cave in the back studio B.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's no window. It could be.
Speaker 1: And there have been days where I'm finishing. I was finishing my sports show in the afternoon talking about, oh it's still a beautiful day. In three hours, the weather's changed quite a bit. We could we could have had sunny skies at two pm and at six pm, and I'm when I'm wrapping it up, we could have terrible weathers. So now I can actually see outside, but seeing folks walk by and wave and it's a nice way to start your morning saying hello to folks. And there's a sign here on this on this glass that is I don't know when it was left, but it was clearly left for Tony Cruz who retired, which has has led to to me here and him not, but it says thank you, we will miss you.
Speaker 3: May God be with you.
Speaker 1: So Tony retired, and I hope he's already off to a good start to his retirement and enjoying himself. And Scott Johnny asked me earlier what I think Tony Cruz is doing right now. This was earlier in the show, and I hadn't really given him much thought, and I don't know. I would hope that he's sleeping and taking advantage of the fact that he doesn't have to get up as early as he did for many, many years. But then I thought, as I'm sitting here in this chair and there's this big window to my left here at four Street Live, if he crept up and looked through the window at me and waved, I would not be shocked.
Speaker 3: And you wouldn't either, right, you.
Speaker 2: Weren't with him for a long time, Tony. One thing about Tony is his foe wall will kick in at some point. And I mean that in a positive way. I mean that in a good light. He's one person that he likes to listen to the station when he's not working. He just likes to hear what other people are talking about, and it wouldn't surprise me if he got up this morning. And as we know, when you work early in the morning, you don't sleep in anymore. On the weekends, I'm up at six o'clock, and.
Speaker 1: A lot of folks have told me that this isn't something that you just completely disassociate from Cold Turkey. Right, he's retired, he's not working, but it's probably not going to be normal for him to just not be tuned into this station that, of course he was a big part of for a long long time and one of many that has made this station, News Radio eight forty whas what it is. And that's that's something I've mentioned throughout the morning for those who don't know, I'm the new guy. This is day one for me taking over for Tony Cruz and joining a great team that's already in place with Scott Fitzgerald, John Alden and John Shannon. And I really try to tell myself that from the beginning of time, since I first knew what radio was, that I did know what news radio eight forty whas is in just how long it's been around the resource, it's been to this community for so so long, I think I knew that. I believe I knew that, but the last week has really been just a reminder of just how how how awesome this opportunity is for me. And I'm I'm grateful beyond belief, and I'm going to try not to screw it up. That's that's what Uh, that's what those have told me, and I'm good. I'm gonna give it my best. But what I've really found in appreciation for recently is the these the folks that have that have worked here at some point, maybe retired like Tony Cruz, maybe they've moved to a different market, maybe they've gotten out of the industry.
Speaker 3: Uh, maybe they're still here. Some of them are.
Speaker 1: They've put so much into this being what it is to where the brand, the standard has has never dipped, never dropped. And I just wanted to use this first data to to let people know that as someone who's worked alongside a lot of these people for years but not in this spot, they work really, really hard, and especially our news team. I know I mentioned this name earlier. I'm not sure people realize how hard Paul Miles works. I don't I don't think people realize the professionalism that he that he has and that doesn't go unnoticed to a lot of folks, certainly not me. So you know, it's exciting. One everything about this opportunity is exciting. Again, this doesn't seem real. Please don't wake me up if in fact this is not real, because it's awesome, but to you know, to be on the team, if you will, with folks who really not only take it serious, she should always take what you do serious, but have such a passion and a pride, and they could not work here for ten years because of whatever reason retirement moving away, it'll be impossible for them not to care about what this is and the brand and the reputation and the standard that eight forty whas has And it's been real noticeable for me in recent weeks. And I'm going to try my best to you know, to do the same and put as much as I can into it and maintain what you can expect here, which is traffic, weather, conversations that are important to have when it comes to the community, conversations with leaders in the area.
Speaker 3: And we'll also have some fun.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't know if I'm as fun as Tony Kruz, who could be right, he's a.
Speaker 3: Good times guy. But we'll have some fun and it's been fun so far. Right, you've been doing great, Nick. Can you think they may let me come back tomorrow.
Speaker 2: I wanted to let you know that good friend of mine, Steve reached out send me an email already this morning said love that Nick is in the driver's seat. Absolutely loves what you're doing. He says your tagline, by the way, enjoy your morning coffee with Nick Coffee.
Speaker 3: Thank you tells you to keep up the good work.
Speaker 2: Exclamation point.
Speaker 3: So thanks Steve, we've got one that it's given me the approval. Great boss, you're doing good. Thank you, Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: All Right, we've got trafficking weather coming up right here on news radio eight forty.
Speaker 3: W h A S. It's seven fifteen here Kentucky. His morning news on.
Speaker 1: News radio eight forty w h A S. Appreciate you guys joining us this morning. Nick Coffeeang.
Speaker 2: Oh sorry, I just used to the new buttons in here, min I I just got another text in from the folks out of the Kentucky truck Plant.
Speaker 3: They're enjoying the great shot.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 3: I like that, good man, good job.
Speaker 2: Joey sent that into.
Speaker 3: Us appreciate that good stuff.
Speaker 2: My buddy is Tony Thomas, no relation to famous Justin Thomas also says.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, if we can make this show just people saying that they're enjoying the show, I think they'd be great radio. I just you know, but I'm sure there's many others that I'm gonna be an acquired taste.
Speaker 3: But that's okay.
Speaker 1: I'm well aware that you may just you know, Look, if you love Tony Kruz and you're gonna miss him, I get it.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna miss him too. But I'm gonna try my.
Speaker 1: Best to keep to keep you with what you have become used to getting every single morning, with the traffic, weather, all the news information that you need, and you know, we'll have some fun along the way. One thing that our partners over WLKY have recently, and I know they're not the only ones, but obviously there are news partners and that's where I read this over the weekend about there's gonna be an increase in an increase to parking. And I guess, before we get into the specifics, do you think that there are I mean, do you have the expectation no matter where you go when it comes to like a downtown city, including this one, that you're gonna have to pay, I just assume at this point you should just people should know that more often than not, finding a place where you're not gonna have to pay to park is rare.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. And that's say, you know, and this is where all plod city of the level? Do you use the parking app?
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: Oh, I know of it, but I don't know. Oh, it's amazing. And the beauty of it is you get out of your car. You don't have to have coins. You just find your meter number, you type it in the app, and it goes and you say, I'm gonna stay here for three hours.
Speaker 3: The better part.
Speaker 2: About that is if I'm in a meeting or I'm in an event and it goes longer, it alerts me that time is about to expire. And I've seen this around the country, and so I can actually add more time.
Speaker 3: I have used that.
Speaker 1: I didn't know it was an app, but when we parked for at Slugger Field a couple weeks ago for a game, you do the skin, you scan the QR code, and I guess if I just have the app, then I wouldn't need to go to the website every time, but yes it does warn you, yep, and that that's convenient, but you know, you got to pay.
Speaker 2: You got to pay. I understand that, you know, and let's be honest. I mean, the city has to pick up revenue at some point.
Speaker 3: So that's that's that's what's happening.
Speaker 1: The parking authority of every city is going to They've announced they're going to increase rates for monthly reserved, unreserved and residential parking. It's going to start July first, so it hasn't happened just yet, but park Board approve the twenty twenty six fiscal years operation budget, which included a five dollars rate increase for monthly reserved, unreserved and residential parking rates across all of the park facilities.
Speaker 3: So it's gonna be I mean, I.
Speaker 1: Know people probably that did not used to have to pay that now have to. It's probably a real like, but it's part of it. And again I would be frustrated too if parking went up and I already had to pay a monthly fee just to park to go to work, because if you've never had to do that, you're thinking well, what the heck.
Speaker 3: However, if you've worked.
Speaker 1: Downtown in a parking garage for many, many years, like my mother has, it's just always been a thing to where that's where you park, and there's a there's a cost associated with it, and it's just kind of part of it. But if it just hits you out of nowhere, what do you mean, I got to pay to go to work? What it's going to be a surprise to a lot of people.
Speaker 2: It's funny you say that because my wife just started working back downtown recently, and the place.
Speaker 3: She works for they pay part of her parking.
Speaker 2: But she went through the same thing and she's like, I got to pay to park, but that for about a week and a half and then she realized, one she loves the job too, She's doing well at the job, so paying that little bit doesn't matter. And then my son, who's got a summer job with the Reds up in Cincinnati, he has to if he wants to park closer to Great American Ballpark, he has to pay. Instead, he parks it. For those that know Cincinnati, he parks over at hard Rock. They've got a deal. The Red's got to deal with Hard Rock where he parks for free over there, but he's got to walk all the way from hard Rock down to Great American Ballpark. So I think it's kind of a given. You make the point excellent, and that is loock man, you're just gonna have to pay. I worked downtown before, and I've had to pay to park down here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it really just as mentioned. It comes down to, if it's always been a part of the gig because of where you've worked for a long time, you probably you probably still don't love it, but you're.
Speaker 3: Used to it.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: However, if if it's.
Speaker 1: I mean, they probably don't even tell you when you get a job, it doesn't come to mind for me. For example, we fortunately do not have to pay to park here at Port Street Love where our studios are, but if we did, I would think like, well, gee, I've never had to pay to come to work before. But then I would realize, well, I've never had a job where I go downtown Louisville every day, So I think I just I now no longer go anywhere, especially in a in a downtown area. But if we travel, especially like especially if it's in some level of a tourist spot.
Speaker 3: Yes, they're gonna make.
Speaker 1: You pay to park, and it's probably not going to be cheap. And I know I'm not the only one that is no longer surprised at all when I hear something is now a more expensive price than it.
Speaker 3: Was, you know, a week ago. But you're saying everything expensive.
Speaker 2: You're saying a five dollars increase a month. Don't get me wrong. Five That may be a lot for some people, and I want to be very sympathetic to that, But for you and I and probably John, we're gonna blow five bucks int a vending machine somewhere. It's true, you know, it's kind of I was that way with gas prices. When gas prices will go up, you do the average cost you about two dollars more a fill up. I'm gonna blow that. Buying an energy drinking, a candy bar, I'm my way out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's go, or some watermelon, as you mentioned.
Speaker 1: That's right, John, And all those things that you're referencing are I mean, I'm sure a lot of people love enjoying energy drinks, candy bars, that kind of stuff. But parking for your job employment, that's a little more important.
Speaker 3: So it's worth it. It's worth it. Again.
Speaker 1: It's not something people probably want to do, but it's part of it, all right. We got another update of trafficking weather coming your way, and also another update of sports with Scott right here on News Radio eight forty whas.
Speaker 3: Thank you, John Shannon.
Speaker 1: It is seven thirty five here Kentucky and it's morning news on News Radio eight forty whas. So the Dave Ramsey Show, which, of course I'm assuming a lot of you are familiar with and familiar with Dave Ramsey and how he has helped many many over the years get a better control of their budget, help them with their finances, and you can hear his program on our sister station, talk radio ten ady WKJK. He has a caller that recently went viral. Well, I guess the clip from his show of a caller went viral. That's the better way to put it, because Dave Ramsey was stunned, and oftentimes, I guess in that position, he's probably not stunned to hear certain stories because people are pretty forthcoming about how they ended up being in the situation they're in financially, and sometimes that's what makes for good radio. I believe he'll tell them, well, here's your problem. You're spending money on this when you shouldn't, and anyways, I'll bring it up because this was just something you often don't hear on that program, at least that I'm aware of, And it seems like something that I would say most would not would not agree with. But I want to throw it at you guys, So the caller wanted to. He didn't really ask many questions, which was kind of odd, but he went During the conversation, he alluded to the fact that he has recently come into some money from a variety of ways to where he's got a million dollars in a bank account, but his wife has no clue that they have that much money. And it just it started to back and forth between a lot of people reacting, how this is this a husband that's just being responsible and understands maybe that if his wife knew that they had a million dollars, that that million dollars maybe wouldn't last that long. Or is it just him being you know, is he is he not being on me? He's clearly not being honest with his wife. But it does seem as if most people think that it's that you should you should let somebody know and rather than keeping that from them. But again, when you keep good news from somebody, it doesn't appear to be as big of a deal that if you're keeping bad news that of course you know they would upset them.
Speaker 2: If he's not going out and say spending the money, you shouldn't keep things. As far as I'm concerned, you shouldn't keep things like that from your spouse. And a million dollars is enough. It's not like he went out and just got an extra twenty bucks in your check.
Speaker 1: Well, when I can't relate, I typically have a lot of questions. So I don't know, is he keeping it a secret because he's worried, because maybe maybe he's someone that that a lot of folks are different when it comes to money. I learned this when my wife and I when we first started living together, right before we got married, and we you know, grew up a little bit and had full time jobs and had to pay rent in an apartment at that point, and we're talking roughly twenty years ago, we put all of our money in one account and that's how we've lived ever since. But I also know that not everybody does that, and that's you know, do whatever is most comfortable for you. I've benefited from this because my wife's the one who handles.
Speaker 3: I mean, look, I.
Speaker 1: Don't think we have a million dollars, but I'm kind of in this situation that if we did, I think I would know, but I don't really know. But yeah, I think this guy's not really getting the ben from the benefit of the doubt from a lot of people, because most just assume that there's got to There's gotta be some shady reason on his end why he wouldn't tell her that, Because when you have that kind of news, and I guess it really depends upon their financial situation overall. How much money is a million dollars to them? It would be a lot to me, maybe not as much to them, but I wouldn't be able to control my excitement if I was able to share that from a financial standpoint. This is now where we are, and we should, you know, enjoy it together. And I don't mean go spend it all, but just you know, is it stale a level of security? Well, is it safe to say that in marriages? And maybe you've experienced, maybe you haven't. There's one person in the marriage that if you give them a dollar, they'll spend ninety nine cents. There's another person in the marriage that if you give them a dollar, they'll put seventy five of that aside and leave it there and live very cheaply. I would say that's pretty common. There's one it's a little bit more willing to spend than others. I just have this plastic cart in my wallet and I swipe it when I need to eat and put fuel in my car. I am very I shouldn't admit I should admit this on day one, but my wife is very much in I don't want to say it. I mean, she is in charge, but it's not because I'm you know, she's my boss. She just, you know, I feel like I'm kind of a kid when it comes to that kind of stuff, which, honestly, financial stress is.
Speaker 3: A big, big deal for a lot of people.
Speaker 1: I believe at one point maybe it still is the biggest factor in why people get divorced because of just financial issues causing such a strain on their marriage. Which I can totally understand that happening, so I benefit from it in that aspect. But I also think there's a similar story. This wasn't from Dave Ramsey, but there was somebody who won the lottery and the reason they wanted to remain anonymous was because they didn't want their children to know that, hey, they're always going to have millions, that's going to come to them at some point. Rather they need the resource just in life or maybe whenever they inherit it. And I think that's a different, totally different thing. I think with your kids to want to want to go out there work for themselves and not just know, hey, I can do whatever, and I'm gonna get mom and Dad's money.
Speaker 2: And I think what you're doing, Nick, you're bringing up a great point, and that is everybody's got a different story.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: So when you see something like this, dig deeper into it and look at what's underneath to your point, because there's probably a lot going on that we're not prevous.
Speaker 1: It's just a reminder to me again whenever I can't relate. I got a lot of questions, but it's a reminder, Well, everybody's different, Yeah, everybody's wire different.
Speaker 3: So good stuff.
Speaker 1: All right, We've got another update of traffic and weather coming your way. Keep it locked right here. On Kentucky has morning news on news radio eight forty whas. It is seven forty five here Kentucky his morning news news Radio eight forty whas. We'll have another update of sports coming your way in about ten minutes. Also in four minutes, another update on traffic and weather. I am Nick Coffee, first day on the job, but I'm having fun. I'm enjoying myself. I was gonna say off to a good start. I just mean, you know, they haven't gotten rid of me yet, which means I guess, so far, so good.
Speaker 3: Wou wouldn't be alive. But really happy to be here.
Speaker 1: And one of the things I'm really excited about is working alongside a great team. And you've heard from many of these people for a while because they've been a part of the show before I was. But John Alden, the company man, as I used to call him, I'm not going to force the nickname here because you know, they don't call him that here, and he's just He's just John Alden, and that is that is his name. But he's I liked having a nickname. But I feel like maybe the balance here in sports radio Shenanigans, maybe there's not as much nicknames because at has it's much more sophisticated, much more professional, and that's what John Olden is.
Speaker 3: But he's also a new father. And I got to ask.
Speaker 1: You, and I don't know, have you said that the name of your of your daughter on the air.
Speaker 3: Because I don't want to be that guy. Daisy Grace.
Speaker 1: I knew her name, but I just you know, some people keep stuff really private, you know, I get I get asked every now and then.
Speaker 3: He's your wife.
Speaker 1: Does she know like you talk about your personal life a lot on a lot on the show?
Speaker 3: She knows I've talked about some things that she does sometimes.
Speaker 1: Well, well, my wife, she doesn't. She didn't know it at the time, but she kind of signed up for this.
Speaker 3: And my kids too.
Speaker 1: You know, when my son and my daughter get older, they'll they'll they'll realize that there's people out there that might know a little bit about him. And you know, I just say, look, I didn't embarrass you. If anything, I embarrass myself, which again I guess maybe may embarrass you in return. But anyways, John, the reason ask is because there are there's a new update here as far as the ten trending baby names of twenty twenty five according to Google. And I'm not surprised that any of these names are are trending, but I don't I don't know of any any young kids, at least with my friends who have children. A lot of my friends do, but Sutton is number one.
Speaker 3: Theodore.
Speaker 1: I could see that there's names that do that every now and then right where Theodore's was probably really big in a certain era. Then it's you know, it's it's not for a long time. And then now, like I could see a baby Theo, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Taint popular. The popularity of Theo Vaughn. Maybe chieople name their kid after him.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that would be why, but you know, I mean that's why I think, yees, yeah, it's true. And then there's Sadie, which that's a pretty popular name, Amelia, Athena, Area, Violet, Zion, Melo, and Lincoln and those are all they sound like. I would say, Lincoln and Theodore, maybe Sutton to an extent, or ones that I feel like have a little bit more, you know, they've been around a lot longer. Others maybe not quite as much. But I feel like names more often than not are short now and maybe it's just because it's you know, that's just that's the trend.
Speaker 3: That's the way, that's the way it goes.
Speaker 1: But it does fascinate me how names will really seem almostly extinct and then they come back.
Speaker 2: Ye like, yeah, you get more traditional names that come into play. I'm finding out now. I'm just appreciating that when I was born, a lot of people were named Scott. And you see, like when my son was born, every kid was named Aiden. Every kid's name was Aiden.
Speaker 3: Aiden had a big run.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Aiden had a big run. So you go through these sparks and and John, I love the fact that you guys are bringing back daisy.
Speaker 3: I think that is a classic. I couldn't tell you very many daisies that I'm aware of at this point. Was there a reason?
Speaker 2: Was there a reason behind that one?
Speaker 3: So my wife's grandmother passed away a couple of years ago. Her name was Marguerite, and in French that means daisy.
Speaker 1: Notice, and you've got a good story to share about it as well. That's good stuff. You just you don't often see, Like if my friend came to me and said, yeah, we've decided on a name, uh for our for our son is gonna be baby Bernard. I mean you would think what, like you know, like so but maybe in ten years, Like it's it's trendy again, like like Theodore, Like if you ever considered certain names of that that you just don't hear often anymore. Like Gary's a really common name, but not young, right, I mean maybe dog if you're a young Gary, show yourself, because I don't know any young Gary's. But like if if John said, yeah, we got baby number two coming, we're gonna go with Gary. Gary's a fine name. It's just me holding a baby and saying, hey, Gary just seems it seems off, but again, maybe it'll maybe it'll, it'll make a company.
Speaker 2: Now you're like me and you think Gary the snail from SpongeBob SquarePants.
Speaker 1: Right, it sounds like you have a person that comes to mind anytime you hear a name, which.
Speaker 2: Then and then you have spin offs. My daughter's was Kayla, and then we find out after she was named there was Mark Kla. Oh yeah, I And so there's spinoffs that come of those names.
Speaker 1: What's what's trippy for me is that my name is Nicholas. I go by Nick, but there's actually no k in my name. We just you know, it's not uncommon. But now, and I don't know if this is real or somebody was just messing with me, but kids who were named Nicholas that are now getting to be like teenagers, they go by Nico and not Nick.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, which that like, am I gonna be.
Speaker 1: Seventy five at the DMV and they're just gonna think I don't go by Nicholas and they're gonna say, Nico, you're up, like you know, they just say a number at the DMV anyway, But you know what I mean, I don't know if I don't know if I could be a Nico Nicholas before I'll be a Nico I think exactly right. We got an update of trafficking weather coming up right now, and then we'll get an update with Scott on sports right here on news radioight forty w h A s