Speaker 1: Sounds going so far, schemes and anything.
Speaker 2: Scene. Well, I hope I got you hanging around for the next hour because it's American history on the radio, on the Nightcap and tonight in the Spotlight talking about his great enduring career in radio. It's my friend jim Lebarbara the music professor. Prophet's so great to have be on the Nightcap again. How are you?
Speaker 3: Thank you wonderful. I'm doing wonderful.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Good to have you in the studio too. That that song was one Jimmy pick handpick for this interview. The Skyliner, since I don't have you what what is it?
Speaker 3: I booked them for a show, my first show in Alleghanty College. I booked them for the first rock and roll show the colleague ever had. And it was the Skyliners and the pretty girl was Janet Vogel. And I'll never forget riding back because they rode me back home. I'm going back home to Pittsburgh. Allighanty was in Meadville, Pennsylvania, about a hundred miles away.
Speaker 2: The band gave you a ride.
Speaker 4: Band.
Speaker 3: I rode back with the band and they took me to my house. I got check us see the keys under the mat and Janet Vogel was with us, the pretty girl in the group, and I'll never forget. We stopped at like a diner for a cup of coffee late at night, and she said she was all dressed up with makeup on, you know, in her dress show dressed. And she said, Jimmy, they think I'm because she was with all the guys. She said, they think I'm one of those ladies, don't they They think I'm one of those ladies. And she was so depressed. They said, no, Janet, they don't think that. And ironically this song was playing on the jukebox. It was like so so cereal, so surreal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's where those connections that we have with music and with people, and it's just because of one or two moments in time like that, you know it, and at last it's imprinted on our brains from that point forward.
Speaker 3: And Buddy Holly, Buddy Holly was so big because I was four eyes and I had the horn rim glasses like Buddy. When I got those Buddy glasses, all of a sudden, I was cool, you know, wearing Buddy Holly glasses, and he was you know, I could sing with Buddy Holly Records. He was you know, it wasn't like Elvis or Johnny Mathis. You could sing with Buddy sing.
Speaker 2: You and I have gone through your breakdown of the great song American Pie by Don McLean. You know that relates to Buddy Holly and so much of you and your life and music going forward. But you were that paper boy, yeah, and I did.
Speaker 3: I saw the paper that day and went just like Don McLean, I mean, that's exactly the way I felt. And well, I was always interested in music. I saw a movie young Man with a Horn and when I'm a bought a trump and I was like ten years old, this movie about a trumpet player, and I played the trumpet, and I was very good. Got a scholarship during the summer to studying music at Carnegie Tech. So I was very much involved with music. And I had a tape recorder, this tape recorder that I record some of the stuff. I would do practice in that and then eventually started talking into the tape recorder. My buddy, Ronnie Miller, a few years older than me, would stop buying and I would interview him, do fake interviews like he was a baseball star. And so you hit that home run in that game, What happened that day, you know, and do these little interviews and they was and listening to the radio, I was like in love with this radio is. I go to bed at night and Bill Stern, a guy named Bill Stern, did this show, sports talk show, and he would talk about a baseball pitcher and then the kick thing was at the end, was and they only had one arm, and the horse won the race, but the jockey was dead.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: It was those stories that were so magnificent. So I was glued to the radio with that, and the rock and roll thing didn't come around because I'm playing big band music until my buddy Ron He said, Bill Haley's in town. We're going to the Syrium Mosque. So we go to Syria Mosque. I'm like twelve years old, and it's like the biggest rock and roll show ever. Haley's the headliner. Eleven eleven Black's one white. He was the white, and I'm watching the show. Joe Turner gets up and sings the original Shake right on roll, you know, in the bedroom, and then Haley comes out and a bunch of guys sitting in the back of us, and there was a great show, Frankie Lyman, the Teenagers, the Platters, everybody was on that show. And the guys in the back of us were cool guys from the North Side section in Pittsburgh. They all get up and they gave him the finger, the number one sign, and they started to walk on and they said, what do you guys? Walk on? He's got the number one record in the country. He said, he ripped off. Joe Turner listened to Porky the boss Man. I said, Porky, putt you time with Porky, Porky Chadwick, And so I started listening to the boss Man, Porky Chadwick.
Speaker 2: Where was Porky on it?
Speaker 3: Porky was on the air, a little rim shot stationed in Homestead. He predated Alan Freed, playing black original music. Yeah, he was like, really the pioneer. And so I started listening to Porky and Porky and I later had a chance to thank him. He was ninety one years old. We had dinner and I thanked him for influencing me so much because of his honesty on the radio and his truthfulness the way he presented things. They would be Porky be on the air and Judikolovich would call up and she's crying because her boyfriend died. And he went to Porky record hops and she's sitting with her aunt Hilda and though listening to Porky on the radio, and so he dedicates the song to him. You know, it was the Death of an Angel by Donald Woods. There was a death, a big scream of the angel. The kids died in that fire in nineteen fifty eight, ninety two children in Chicago fire, Catholic School fire, and Porky's on the radio and he dedicates to them this song. He said, the smoke gets in your eyes. Well, you know, to anybody doing that, that's what are you serious? But Porky was so sincere, and so I thought, you know, if I ever get in radio, that's I like, but liked but Porky his honesty. But if I ever got in the business, and I wasn't thinking about Clark Race. Clark Race had a Jaguar, had a TV show, good looking guy and a lot of pretty girls following him. And I said, that's if I get in radio, that's what I want to do. And uh, that was the path I was going to take. If I got in radio. So did you ever get the nice car and the girl?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think I did. Yeah, I really did, I really did, I really did.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: So what happened was I, Uh, I got hurt playing baseball and Amazon crushes and uh, all of a sudden, we knew had a dance. There was a girl in Pinky, and I had a big crush on Pinky. She was a major atte and a major rest responsor in a dance. So I knew Pinky didn't have a date. So I called the crew that did the dance. Did the stage crew? They were they'd always play the music, and they said, can you set up? I'll play the music, you know, just set to me? Oh great, great gym.
Speaker 2: We did that.
Speaker 3: They had a bunch of forty five's, a little turntable just like walk into the gym and on the corner and the right hand side, little uh little table there with a little lamp and a forty five record play you know, goes down we're and a microphone and a microphone. So that night Pinky's there and just the way I thought of what happened, Pinky brought me soda, pop and pretzels, and then I started inducing the records this is for Vince and Mary Lee and still the ninth of five sentence. And I was doing this and the kids loved it.
Speaker 2: How old were you at this time? Oh?
Speaker 3: Maybe fifteen at that's okay, fifteen. And then I also could break up, but Panthony Cravelli was dancing with Judi Romanovitch and I didn't think that they should be together. I could put on Chuck Berry's Maybe Lean and break it up. So it's very empowering too.
Speaker 2: So that was your first term as a disjoge.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that all of a sudden, I'm hooked doing this playing music, it dances. And then with the tape recorder I had, I started practicing and introducing records at home.
Speaker 2: I love this. This is what I have talked about with John Landecker, with Shotgun, Tom Kelly, all of us seemed to those of us who chose this path for a career, seemed to in our youth be pretend somehow I had a stereo system with a stereo microphone, and I was introducing records in my bedroom when I was seventeen. All of that stuff. We all either had our own little radio station, or as you were mentioning, you were interviewing your friend like he was a great baseball player or something on you on your little tape. So you were getting training for talk radio, I guess I was, yeah, yes, absolutely. You can hear Jim Lebarbara on WDJO in the afternoon from two to seven on the weekdays. So I wanted to mention that he is our guest tonight in American History on the radio on seven hundred WLW station. Jim is very familiar with not only for our Saturday morning visits we have every weekend rock and roll archaeology, but a long history on the air at this great legendary radio station. We want to go back to the very very beginnings of your career. What was your first station and where was this?
Speaker 3: Well, I was going to Alleganton College in Meadville, and so when I went up for the interview, Pennsylvania in Pennsylvania, Meadville, Pennsylvania. So when I went up for the interview, I stopped at the radio station. I said, I'm going to be starting here in September. I'm going to college here and I want I want to work on the radio station. And the guy said, well, what background do you have? And I said, well, I had to lead in a senior class play. I had a band MC record hops, did a lot of record hops and MC concerts to the school, and managed a singing group and had a singing group and yeah, I'm looking I'm looking forward to this. So I started school. I go to the radio station and the guy says, we're not going to hire you. We just we don't have any opening. And a kid, Eric Johnson at the station was a town going to Alleghany, a freshman like me, and he said, hold it, hold it, can you hold on for a minute? He said, come on back. What if you do one hour a week but you don't get paid? Would you do that and call it a Alleghany college radio show? I said, yeah, So that was it. I was That was it. I went on the air. First thing I went on the air. My kids in the dorm went crazy. You know, it was really sensational.
Speaker 2: I was a star.
Speaker 3: They put a big star on my door started calling you the voice, and I thought, man, this is it. Third show I was on, I played Teach Me Tiger by April Stevens. It was a record that had some heavy breathing in it, and the astronauts ended up using it on on the Space programs. Next day I get to call I'm fired fired, So I lost.
Speaker 2: Me Tiger.
Speaker 3: But then that summer I got a job working in the Pollo, Pennsylvania Religious station, just for.
Speaker 2: Like two three weeks.
Speaker 3: What year is this, we're looking at nineteen probably in nineteen sixty one one, sixteen one now, and uh they had mixed my resume up because and I would do there would be releases Billy Billy, Joe Hargas and these different religious programs. But before that, between six and six fifteen, I could play records, so I for yeah, so but I would I would do, here's Caddy for Incis, Here's America's Princess of Song, Cottie Francis and blessless House or his Elvis and how great that are?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 3: So I did that and the owner of the station said, Jim, you really don't have to introduce the records, but said that's okay if you want. So that was that was it, and then the and then what happened was, uh, during that during the summer, Joni Summers had a record called Johnny Get Angry, Big Record, number one record. And I had this tape recorder and I called my buddy Henry, because I didn't have a call as Henry tump, I said, let's go see Jonie Summers. I called up at the club and I said, dumb a disc jockey. I would like to interview her from my radio show. Oh, come on down. So I went to the show, We saw the show, went to her dressing room. She has this little robe on, cute as could mean. She's about the same age. She got a number one hit record, and I knew about because Clark Gray said, she doesn't have a boyfriend guy on radio, and she's got a big hit record. So she treated me like I was a big star disc jockey. And that was it. On the way we'll leave, And when we left that night, I said that Henry, I said, I think I'm going to be a disc jockey. I think I'm I'm going to be a disc jockey. And ironically, over all these years, I've never seen her again. But that was and I don't remember the interview, but I just remember how nice she was to us. And then the next year, during the summer, there was a station in Titusville WTIV and there was a loping there and is Eric Johnson again called and the guy hired me so for the whole summer, and I was jimmy holiday because and every day's a whole day with holiday, and I was on midday. But they quickly moved me after one week the afternoon drive and I was there, and I mean it was a very interesting time I got. The first night I was there, I spent the night in jail because I went to the radio station. It was a daytimer, and I didn't know how to work any equipment, so but we were daytimers, so I could practice the equipment. I had a que records up and do all this.
Speaker 2: This is something that a lot of people don't understand, especially now when they're trying to get rid of AM radio and all the ridiculous machinations of the technology has evolved to this point. But Jim, a lot of people don't understand that a lot of AM radiosations would sign on when the sun came up and sign off when the sun went down. The daytime er, so please go ahead.
Speaker 3: So I met the station and it was like two o'clock in the morning. So I was staying at the YMCA, and I couldn't get in YMC. It was locked, So I pulled down the stairs. You know, there's stairs on the sign. So I pulled down the ladder to go up, and I'm climbing up and all of a sudden, the cops have a big light on me. The thing's going. I came down, I introduced myself and I said I need I'm dead tired, and they said, well, we have a bed if you want to sleep, you know. So I slept in the jail cell. The door open for you. Yeah, And then the next day I was there and then ended up living in a place where I had two meals a day of this shady the Shading Lane Retirement Community house. And you're old, yeah, about nineteen eighteen years old. That was That was a big, big thing for me. And then went back to school, finished up my senior year and was thinking about radio and at that point, the call each other radio station. So I had a one one night show and my girlfriend went to another college. Uh she you know, because I was going to be a minister and I had this grad scholarship, all set to go to Boston University, and she broke up with me, and I said, well, no, I'm not I'm just getting this out of my system. So then what happened. I went, I had this tape from from Titusville, so I took it. Katie Ka the All Night Guy, Randy Holsburg. Yeah, Katie K a big giant radio station. Randy Hall was leaving Katie k Is All Night Show to go to Cleveland. Well there was a girl I met, uh during probably my sophomore year. My freshman year. Between freshman and sophomore, I was selling books on the telephone, you know, calling people and well you know so, and she said to me, this lady, this girl says to me, you have a wonderful voice. You should be in radio. And they said, well that's what I want to do. It turned out she's yeo Anne Louke, Christie's cousin, and we became friends. The singer had Lightning strikes and IRS records, so we became friends and I kept in contact with her and she said, well, come on down, I'll introduce you to Randy Hall. So wait a date and went to see Randy and Randy listened to my tapes The All Night Guy. He said, well, I'm not the program director. Being said, they hired him out of Penn State. He said, I don't think they're going to hire another kid. He said, I don't think they're gonna do that. I think there's a guy from Chicago, was an older guy, and that's who they eventually hired. But he said, look, he said, I came from Do Boys, w CD and New Boys, a good little radio station. If you want, you can work there tomorrow. So he set it up. I called, Nick, called, and I went up there and tried on the air one night, the weekend thing. And then when I graduated, I went there just I still had the Boston Scholarship the Boston University, and I was going to get this out of my system. And that never happened. I just ended up staying in the radio.
Speaker 2: Well it didn't work well for you. Let's see, as we closed this half hour, Jim Lebarbara, the music professor on American history on the radio, if we can see if I can get fired for playing teach me, teach me tighters. Oh that's worse than Madonna stuff. I understand why you got fired, Jimmy More would Jim Lebarbara on the Nightcap. In moments after the news break on seven l W teach me.
Speaker 3: We'll hear the radio ads about the I R s.
Speaker 6: They tell you to be afraid, to be scared, and they try to frighten you into calling I'm not here to do that tax relief.
Speaker 7: Ohad Beyond the.
Speaker 2: Drags American his free on the radio on a Monday night cat on seven hundred w l W Gary Jeff Walker with Jim Lebarbara, my friend the music professor. When we broke for the news, you had just landed that first, big, big job in du Boys.
Speaker 3: The Voice, Pennsylvania. I was doing a split shift and I had my big tape recorder and listen to what I was doing, and once again a lady enters my life. I mentioned Pinky with that that record hop, and Pinky and I ended up going to the junior prom together, you know. So it was like walking the old guys always trying to be with a girl. I mentioned Jonie Summers, who after interviewing her, I got to get into radio. Man, this beautiful girl. You kidding me? This is what the business is all about. So I'm on the radio and I'm not hearing anything in my you know, I'm not hearing what I want to hear. I want to hear this one on one, this voice that I'm communicating. That's what I wanted to be this communicator. And there was a girl and her mother stopped by the radio station one night and she was in the Miss Pennsylvania contest. Penny was her name. And suddenly I found myself talking to this one person on the air. You know how you visualized parking on one person, she was that person. Suddenly after that, a few weeks later, I'm missing to my tapes and that's it. I found the sound I was looking for, and that was it. So I decided I'm not going to Boston. I'm gonna try this, and I gave myself three years to leave do boys and get to one of two radio stations, either katie KA, my hometown in Pittsburgh or KYW, big fifty thousand radio station. No, no ky And this was what it was in Cleveland, Okay. And then but I got there, then they changed the calladus WKYC. It was NBC, but they had switch call letters with Philadelphia, something behind the scenes thing.
Speaker 2: So that was it.
Speaker 3: But then what happened was I got in this service, So I'm in the service. Even there's no Vietnam War going on, I'm in the service. So I got six months in Fort Knox. Now the last month I'm in there. I'm a clerk typist, and I sent letters because I'm gonna leave. Du boys JIMMI Holiday. I was big. The Beatles out there was big. I'd go to work at night. There were a little teenage girls.
Speaker 2: See your local station and do boys you broke the Beatles?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, oh yeah, oh yes absolutely, And it was huge, huge, So I sent. I saw a station in Erie, Pennsylvania, number two, and I thought this is a market I could jump to. And it was a number two rocker. W W G O Jet was the They owned the market. So every day at Fort Knox, I would send a postcard back in those days of postcard was like a penny postcard. And I send it and saying that, uh Jim, Jay Bentley Starr. I was changed my name Jay because Jim and Johnny Yeah Bentley Carr English, you know, and Starr. I wanted to be a star, so I was Jay Bentley Starr. And I sent them a postcard every day talking about I know you're on this record because I could listen to wacky down there at Fort Knox and KLO in Louisville, and so I send notes every day in the contest, got the idea and I would act like they answered me, thank you very much for the nice comments. I would sell this postcard every day, looking to be the next star of Very Radio. Every day I sent them a postcard. So I go back. My terms up. Okay, I'm going back. I'm a free man on the service. I'm going to do Boys back on the air. They have to take me back. The radio station says, no, we don't want you Jimmy Holliday on the air. You can be on the air, but no Jimmy Holliday, and no picking your own music. You're playing arm music. Listen not for Tony Bennett, Stuffy and so I was devastated. And one of the ladies I knew there said nobody expected you to ever come back to do Boys. So like the day before I was to start, I get a call from Eerie Jay Bentley Starr when we have an opening. The guy on the night shift who called himself Johnny Holiday and not the Johnny Holiday left to go across the street the jet. So there's an opening. So I had at this point a blue Jaguar nineteen fifty eight XK and one fifty plus. I am I most minor convertible. So I drove in this long drive. I'm dead tired. I drive in to go on the radio and do Boys, says Jay Bentley Starr, the Intrepid Leader. I get there and I go then and I walk into the office and hey, you're the guy that sent the postcards. And the guy who ran the station was a guy named Larry Parato.
Speaker 2: This is an Erie, Pennsylvania, Zeria, Pennsylvania, New Boys. You drove from New Boys.
Speaker 3: I go from New Boys to Erie. Okay, so I'm in Arie and the and the receptionist goes, oh, they're all laughing. You're the guy sent the postcards. And we have all the post guys have a big stack of all these postcards. And the general manager was a guy named Larry Perrado, who was when I was at w MGW and Meadfield for those first shows with Eric Johnson. He was like the engineer producer and he had told me on the air the first show he said, someday, kids, you're gonna make it, and I want to be with you. Well here he was. He was my boss. Now an Erie. Oh I'm so excited. Small So I go on the air that night, and this radio station was on the top floor of the highest building in Erie, and in there the transmitter was there and the control room, so everything was there. I had control of everything. So on the air, young college kid comes in from Gannon. He's doing the all night show. And I looked and I said, you know what, nobody knows I'm in town. So I put a big desk against the door, put a microphone outside in the hallway, locked him out, and put chairs on top of it. So I locked everybody out and I stayed in there, and then when the morning came around, then I started playing Come On and Swim by Bobby Freeman over and over and over again. Of course I don't know the format, you know, I just brand new at the station. So the guy gets on the microphone. He's yelling and I said, be careful because it's on the air. It's I'm on the air. And every record I played, Bobby Freeman, number one, number two, picked the click everything. You know the whole So the whole town by nine thirty in the morning knew j Bentley Starr was on the air in Eriy, Pennsylvania. And then the front page of the paper head in the town gangbuster style plays music over thirty hours on the radio, and they fired me and hired me back and I had a day off and that was my beginning in the every Pennsylvania see Intrepid leader Jane Bentley Starr.
Speaker 2: Well, this is kind of one of those things that kind of line up for the two of us because I participated in a stunt that was approved by and recommended by the management and the program director. It was something that happened here in Cincinnati with I think Mark Sebastian at Q one O two where he played the Stroke by Billy Squire over and over and over again, uh, and acted like he was he'd commandeered the radio station. But it was all it was all a wink. It was all everybody he had control, I understand. But and I did the same thing in Chattanooga where I played I Love rock and Roll by Jon Jet for like you know, I don't know. It was two or three hours. It was not a thirty hour marathon like yours. But nobody asked you to do this, And no, I mean you did this on your own, just so you would people would know who you are. Yeah, that's brilliant. Look at me. It's great, look at me. I'm here.
Speaker 3: I'm jaying start when what I didn't realize was my car was sitting out on the main street and I had a long stack of tickets in the station. I said, you paid for you pay for him.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's that's the price of fame. I guess, you know. So let's with.
Speaker 3: Time being kind of a yeah, we got time, let me take quick quick things that happened, Okay, so I'm in Eerie. Two things that happened early on, Well, there was a guy there in another radio station. We were friends, and I was I was going to get out of radio. I was just I was gonna get out. Nothing was happening. And he was a friend of Joey Reynolds up a KB in Buffalo, and he said, why don't you go, Let's go meet Joey Reynolds. So I went with him and took a tape. Joey Reynolds listens to my tape and he said, kid, He said, you are you putting me on a you Bobby Mitchell from San Francisco And I said no, Jay Bentley Starr and Eerie. He said, well there's no He said, you sound just like Bobby Mitchell. He gave me so much encouragement that that made me stay in radio. And then meanwhile, my old engineer from Doboys was now working in the station in Cleveland, wd OK. And he brought the head engineer and they come in and the guy says, well, hey, there's they're chained the format. Three guys bought, three sales guys bought the radio station. Let me have a tape of yours. So I gave them a tape. They take the tape back and then uh. A few months later, that station goes and becomes WIXI and I get a call in Cleveland, Cleveland now, Jerry Spin, program director, we'd like to comme in and do And I said, great, Oh I have to quit. No, no, no, don't quit, don't quit. I just want to hear you on the air. And I was doing two shifts, a ten to one shift, take them an hour for lunch, coming back, and then doing two o'clock to seven and production until eight o'clock. Be aause they were looking for a midday guy. And so I went in and this and then and this was a tape that a guy at the station had heard. My boss. The program director said, g you just don't have any talent. You know, you just don't have any talent. So it was a take to come here into Cleveland. So I'm in there and I did three shows in an area on on on WIXI Steve Popovich comes in, and you know what happened was I sent the program director a note and called him. I said, I can't come in. I wrecked my car and I did and I was sleep, I mean no sleep. So he says, man, forget it, don't come in. We don't want you boom boom in here. Never heard me on the air. So Popovich comes in a Mercury Records local guy in Cleveland and later had meet little from everybody and a vice president of Columbia Epic Records, and Popovich says, no, I didn't hear you. I said, Man, don't let anybody here around here because I'll be fired. Don't fire me, he said. But Bob Martin doesn't have a program, doesn't have a PD at KY and Cleveland. Jim Gallant isn't happy. The night guy. You might want to call him. So I called Bob Martin and Cleveland fifty thousand one NBC radio station. He says, come on in we sit down, we talk and I listened to my tape with now the WIXI tape, and he said, can you do more of this? I said yeah, that's what I do. And he said, well, okay, how much are you making? I said, like eighty bucks a week. I just got a raise to ninety. He said okay. Then about three days later, I get a call from Bob Martin. Okay, this is Bob Martin with NBC, jim La Barbra we or j he said, Jay Bentley Starr and I said yes, and then I hung up the phone because I thought it was Holiday, that kid that I replaced making fun of me. Because he did, I thought, because once I had Rick Scalar call me. Well, as it turned out, it might have been Rick lay like I hung up on him. So anyway, Bob Martin calls back and he says, look, I'm not going to you just talked with me the other day. We want to hire you to work at NBC. We're hiring you, but if you hang up, forget it. I said, I'm so sorry, and I went in. They hired me. I did the Sound eleven survey and a Sunday night filled in for everybody and got my paycheck the first week, went into the office and said, I wanted to be paid by the I started to get it out. I wanted to be paid by the week and not by the month. He said, Jim, I'm so sorry. You have a talent fee of one hundred dollars a week with NBC. Whether you do anything or not, you're a base of one hundred dollars. And I started to cry. He said, didn't we discuss money. I said, no, I had making a ninety week. I was going to go to one hundred a week in six months in Eerie. So I made that year almost thirty eight thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: I'll with it. That's great money. What nineteen sixty.
Speaker 3: Sixty six, nineteen sixty six, So that was my you know, in Cleveland was just it was. It was the greatest thing in the world. And I was there and then we all got fired, the whole staff except for the morning guys, like two and a half years later, and then I went to WIXI across the street and was Cleveland. Yeah, two hundred bucks a week. I'm working a seventh day on tape with Bloom and Wayne and talking.
Speaker 2: To Jim, let Barbara the music professor on American History on the Radio and the Nightcap on seven hundred WLW. Jim Let's kind of flash forward to Cincinnati.
Speaker 3: So I'm a WIXI. So I stayed one year, one year, and there was a guy that came in, uh, Chuck Dunaway, and he had been with Ky and you know how the business can be. And when I was gone, it was my last night on the air. I had my girlfriend Susan with me and we were there and he said, hey, he said, hey, listen to me. I'll show you how you're not gonna be doing anything. You're not gonna be doing anything for a while. Listen to me. I'll show you how I was supposed to be done.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: So that was like, so here we are we going now number one, big party, number one. We're on stage. We came through the little things like a football team, piech guy, I'm star on stage and I introduced the newest Wixy Superman chucked that away and I said, that's it.
Speaker 2: I quit.
Speaker 3: I told Joe Finan, who was standing next to me and the wild Child, that that's it.
Speaker 2: I quit.
Speaker 3: And they said no, no, no, no, do that. So when I didn't ever introduce Neil Diamond and everybody that was on that show that night when Out got drunk that night and everyone on the air and then started looking for a job, and I like, somebody said, how about WLW and Cincinnati, And I called and Jim Gallop, who I replaced in Cleveland because they came in as a summer replacement guy. But I was working all the time. I was doing a morning show, doing afternoon show. And even when Jerry g went on the road with the Beatles, you know, I did his afternoon show. He said, Jimmy, I've got ringo on the line. Say I had a ringo. So it was a great I mean, it was like I was in love with Cleveland. Was like incredible. And so Gallant was now the program director. So Gallant I called it, called him his wife answer said, Jimmy, he'd love to have you here. So I went down and it was it. We came to an agreement, came down to WLW. This was nineteen sixty nine. My duty was to do the early night show and change the music from Ray Conniff and Percy Faith and Tony Bennett to Light Beatles and Paul Simon and Outguard funk On and Neil Diamond. And also there was a TV show Billion Della Keys that was going off the air and her co host had left to go to Saint Louis, so I was gonna be involved with that. So that was it. I came to the Cincinnati and fell in love with Cincinnati and I been here ever since, except for nine months in Denver.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, a little diversion to Denver. I think that your early days in Cincinnati, though, living at the Forum apartments and having Johnny Bench as a friend and all these people that you met who were you know, professional athletes who lived in that apartment complex at the time. Some of those stories are great. We had.
Speaker 3: It's such a good time. And uh, of course wl W. We had the Reds and the Bengals and the Royals basketball team, so you know, we had Callite Blanched everything that was going on, and uh and the Bob Broun Show to go over and beyond Bronze Show. So it was wonderful and uh, you know, I had it was It was a very interesting because I was tired of Top forty. I didn't think this thing was going to last.
Speaker 2: Rock and roll.
Speaker 3: I thought, I want to be more mature. I'm like in my early twenties. Now this is a time temperature. Was was k y, I could talk more wixy was time temperature and get everything in you know, economy awards, and I liked it. I was good, we were number one, but I wanted to be more of that kind of a personality and that afforded me. The WLW afforded me that opportunity.
Speaker 2: So it was.
Speaker 3: It was great. And then the city, you know, immediately took into and there was Jim Gallant who said to me, okay, you're coming here. He said, I'm gonna call you. We're going to call you the music professor. And I said music professor and he said, well, you know Kate Kaiser is College of Musical Knowledge. Yes, Cabibble, I said, I had no idea.
Speaker 2: I knew my dad.
Speaker 3: I had some Ki Kaiser seventy eight records, but that was it. So he called me. I didn't feel comfortable with that at all. And he said, just like you would have the Shangri laws On and Del Shannon and Question market mysterians, I want you to do more of that here. I want you to do more of that. Actually, after every record I want you to talk about every other record, talk about something in the music business. I want you to do that. What I didn't realize was and I so I went along with that, and then shortly after that, I'm gone a bench. Hey Prop, how you doing, Pete Rose? Hey, prov what's going on? So that caught on. There was a guy who was like the one of the custodians at the former apartments, and he said to me, I've been in town maybe three months. He said, Hey, you're my favorite disc jockey on WLW. He said, my two favorites are Stan Mattlock and you. And I said Stan Mattlock. He said, yeah, he does the morning show on KO. I see, so I decided to listen to Stan Mattlock the radio. I'm listening to Stan matt Luck and now, yeah, at this time, I'm a single guy. I'm going out every night, you know. So I'm half hung over and listening to him, and he's talking about guppies or pregnant guppy in a whole hour, is this guppy has a they have a baby, They do this, and they do that, and here's what your feta guppy? And I said, what the heck is this? And then it dawned on me. Jim Gallant gave me the phrase of music professor, and I don't think I ever really thanked him enough for that, because this city was ready for a music professor, for Jim Lebima to come in and talk about music, because Stay Matt Locke already educated people to do that, to listen to the radio, to be informed, and so that door was wide open. It took me a good while to realize that, but that's what happened.
Speaker 2: And after the W I know, we got to really just kind of scare, this is why this should be two hours and that long. But then you went on to think ky cky and finally you gravitated to w g r R, where you were for how long?
Speaker 3: Yeah, fifteen years? Fifteen years number one, Yeah, And I loved that I was back there and rock and roll. Marty Thompson hired me to go over there. I had been. What had happened was I was on say Ky doing the talk show and that worked out very well. And then I went from there to K I C and I was like a cup of coffee, and then to W S A I. And then very interesting happened. What happened when g R. W g R hired me. I was working on still doing mornings six to ten. We're doing sports talk on SAI because we're changed from playing oldies to doing sports talk. So I was doing that show and then UH several reno Tom Severino over at Easy. I went to Cleveland talked to him, No buddy Larry Morrow, because I said, Tom, I said, you could put in that morning show on Easy personality and play some play some vocals, little Ray Charles, you could play Toomy Ben. We could do stuff besides instrumentals and make this thing work. He said, well, come back and give me what you think you know, and so I went there for him. So he put me on Easy on Saturday mornings six to ten. So I was working six to ten at the same time on Easy, uh six to ten morning Monday through Friday. It was this Saturday morning ninety eight Monday through Friday on WSAI, and then in the evenings from ten o'clock till two they break me into the board on wgr R. I was working at three stations at the same time.
Speaker 2: And they called me at one time the hardest working man in Tri State radio. I got nothing on you listen that's all the time we have. Unfortunately. Well, I love doing what I'm doing now. I'm on this WDJO radio. I do the two to seven shift in the afternoon ninety nine to five, and when I was seven nine FM and Cincinnati we stream on iHeart and then on Saturday mornings, I love being with you from seven thirty until eight o'clock and we talked Rocker. So many people say it's their favorite segment of that whole show on Saturday morning. Jim, thank you so much. I cherry sh our friendship. Thank you very much. I love you, Bud. It's American History on the radio. More to come on the Nightcap Assassination. It's entitled The JFK Assassination. Choke holds that inescapably proved there was a conspiracy, no matter what you've heard before or seen in an Oliver Stone movie or or whatever. This co author, James di Eugenio, is with us. He is an MA in history with California State University, Northridge, retired teacher, written or co written four books on the assassinations of the sixties. So not just JFK, but I guess you covered Martin Luther King and all the rest of that. But as far as the JFK assassination shoke holds go, Jimmy D how are.
Speaker 5: You nice to be here?
Speaker 2: That's great, Gary, great to have you. First and foremost, what, according to the information I got, you're one of the foremost conspiracy theorists about JFK. First and foremost, What makes your book different than the hundreds of books that have been written about the assassination of John F. Kennedy.
Speaker 5: Well, for one thing, this book is not theoretical. In fact, that's what we tried.
Speaker 2: To avoid it.
Speaker 5: Okay, Now, I'm not sure if you're aware that there was a body, an agency of government called the Assassination's Record Review Board, and they operated from ninety four to ninety eight, and their job was a declassify all the documents in every government register that had been stored away since the Kennedy assassination, which was nineteen sixty three. Now, hardly anybody ever talks about them, but we actually read a lot of their documents, right, And on top of that, the final determination for getting rid of all these documents, no matter what the excuse was, was supposed to be twenty seventeen, which you can see we're in twenty twenty four, and guess what happened. Neither Donald Trump nor Joe Biden obeyed the law and declassified the last or the documents. There's forty seven hundred still left, okay, And that is a major point of our book.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 5: We wanted to bring everything up to date with the most current research, all right, and then we wanted to bring people who read the book, okay, to understand that this is how big the Kennedy assassination is. It's not a past event, all right. When you have two presidents, one who said he wanted to drain the swamp, okay, and then you have another guy who has John Kennedy's picture in his study. And not even these guys will go up against the executive intelligence agencies. Something's wrong someplace. So that is really what the book is about. It's a current, up to date view of the Kennedy assassination with the with the best, most reviable information and whether or not, you know, a country can survive when the CIA and the FBI openly defy the law on this case.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, you're talking about, among other things that we know about or we think we know about, the JFK assassination. That the fact that they did all kinds of weird things that in hiding JFK's brain and the chain of custody.
Speaker 5: Oh that's Oh, I'm glad you brought that up. I'm glad you brought that up, because that's that's one of the most important parts of the book. Okay, Yeah, and it's it's easily understandable, but hardly anybody ever talks about it because very few people know about it. Okay, JFK's brain, I'm sure most listeners. Now, Kennedy was killed in Dallas, Texas. He went to Parkland Hospital, then they transported his body back to Washington, and that evening there was an autopsy at Beths the Medical Center, all right, a naval institution, all right. Now, in any normal autopsy, Number one, the brain is weighed during the autopsy. Guess what. That didn't happen. That didn't happen that night. There's no brain weight on the autopsy report for that evening. Secondly, if the victim dies by gunshot wound to the skull, they were supposed to be something called a dissection, and the way you dissect the wound path in the brain is by what's called sectioning. You can do it one of two ways. There is a bread low style, where you just go ahead and cut straight, straight, straight cuts across the brain. Or there's what they call a pie cut, in which you cut it like a pie diagonally. Well, guess what, Gary, Neither one was done. Now, this is very, very weird. Kennedy was killed because of the headshot. Okay, and you don't even section the brain to find out a the directionality of the bullet or b if there was more than one.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that would make perfect sense, James, right.
Speaker 5: Exactly, okay, but there's no evidence that that ever happened. Now, what makes us even more weird is this. When they finally did weigh the brain, it came out at fifteen hundred grams. Now, why do I say that's weird? Because the average weight of a rain for a guy Kennedy size six, all right, was thirteen forty. In other words, Kennedy's brain was one hundred and sixty grams heavier than what it should have been. Now, what why is that weird? Why you can't you just dismiss it? Because anybody who watches as a fruiter film or takes a look at the pictures inside the car, or watches Jackie Kennedy crawling out the back of the trunk.
Speaker 2: Okay, to grab, grab, to grab a piece of the president's head or brain that had right exactly.
Speaker 5: And she brought it to the hospital and gave it to a doctor. Okay, here's part of my my husband's brain. All right. So, in other words, with the huge head explosion, which is very obvious, is a bruder film the blood and tissue going up into the air, with that mess of a back seat, with the blood and tissue all over the back seat, with the motorcycle cop on the left side of Kennedy, he said he got hit so hard he thought even hit by a bullet, and he ended up with part of Kennedy's brain in his mouth. All right, How in God's name can Kennedy's brain weigh more than the normal with all that dispersion of blood and tissue throughout the area. This defies common sense in logic. So this is why many people are coming to believe that the brain that we have in and the pictures of the brain we have in the National Archives, is not Kennedy's. And before anybody says, what's the proof you have of that? How about this? The official autopsy for photographer was named John Stringer, all right, very experienced. When he was called before the assassination's record review board. I believe this was in nineteen ninety seven. They had the autopsy pictures of the brain and Jeremy Gunn was the examining lawyer. He put them up on an easel, all right, to display for the witness, and he asked them, did you take these pictures? He walked up to the easel stunned. Okay, when he got close and he said, this is Anskell, this is Anskll film. I didn't use Anskoll, I used Kodak. I used Kodak atter com And he said, you see these numbers here on the bottom right, This means this was a press pack. They were taken in series. I didn't take press packs. I took that what's called duo folders. Okay, each picture was separate, all right. And so after he absorbed this, Jeremy Gunn asked him, are you ready to deny that you took these pictures? And he said, if that's Ansco and this is a press pack, I didn't take those pictures. So the question then becomes who took those pictures? And why did you have to have a second photographer?
Speaker 2: Jeez? So and the other question is whose brain did they take pictures of? If it was well, that's another.
Speaker 5: Great question, that's another great question. But Bethesda was what they called a training facility, okay. In other words, you were you were training autopsy. And so they had these things in storage from previous victims, because you're coming back from like, you know, foreign, foreign tours of service, okay, and so that might be how they got this substitute brain.
Speaker 2: All right, Oh yeah, I mean that that is totally believable.
Speaker 5: Right, I know that. And let me add one point before we go to another question. See, the reason I bring this up is this. See, this is not theory. This is something you could submit to a court of law, okay, if you was ever an opening of the case, which there probably will not be, because for a picture to be submitted into a court proceeding, the person who took the picture has to certify it as his. So, in other words, these pictures would not be submitted in a normal court proceeding. All right, it would be illegal to do that, you know, But this is what you get in the Kennedy case. You know, well, we still I just wanted to slam that at home.
Speaker 2: Sure, no, no, it's a good point. So we're still left with the questions, why did the War and Commission cover this up? Why have Presidents Trump and Biden not followed through with being transparent with the study that you were talking about the Commission's findings from ninety four to ninety eight, Who benefited from John F. Kennedy's death? And what we all endured as a nation in November twenty second, nineteen sixty three. Though, are those questions that you can get to in your book. Those are kind of theoretical questions.
Speaker 5: Though, what what we did in the book, as we described back in twenty seventeen, if you recall, Trump actually tweeted about how he was looking forward to going ahead and declassifying the last of the JFK documents, all right, And in fact, there were news stories about this, all right, about that tweet, all right, and so everybody was expecting it to happen. I believe this was October twenty sixth, twenty seventeen. Okay, then what happens on the very day that this is supposed to happen? The CIA and the FBI go into the White House, and nobody knows what actually was said, but there are some some there is some reportage that the CIA and the FBI were at dammit about not declassifying of the last of the documents, and they essentially gave Trump you know, the bloody hand speech yeah, which means this, yeah, yeah, which means, if we have this agent in Morocco, okay, and he's still alive, all right, if you're going to be classify all these documents, you're gonna put his life in danger, and if he gets killed, we're gonna blame it on you know that kind of thing.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 5: Now, Kennedy was killed in nineteen sixty three, Okay, Yeah, here we are in twenty seventeen, all right, and there's still somebody around who was somehow involved in that case, and his life is going to be in danger.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 5: That that far around the curve. You're talking over fifty years, all right, Why don't you just retire the guy and give him a great pension.
Speaker 2: No doubt, no doubt. Oliver Stone is featured talking about your book. He's Oliver Stone's quote was fascinating glimpse into the accumulating knowledge of this crime, and why President's Trump and Biden both backed away from full disco disclosure of the JFK files. The book goes beyond all reasonable doubt to prove that Oswald, given a real trial, would have been acquitted. That's Oliver Stone in his movie What did Oliver Stone Get Wrong? Do you think?
Speaker 4: Which?
Speaker 5: Which you mean? JFK h J nineteen ninety one. Yeah, right, you know, you know in one of my books, the JFK Assassination the evidence today, I went through the whole film, Okay, Yeah, Now the film is three hours long.
Speaker 2: Yes it is. Okay, I have right, I have lived through that. Yes, I understand.
Speaker 5: Now granting for the use of dramatic So you have to have some dramatic license because you're going through all this time, the interview and yeah, and you and you have to be able to compress thing, okay, and combined things in order to do so. There's only if I would have been advising him at that time, which I was not. Okay, there's there's essentially only three or four scenes in that film. You know that I would have recommended him against not using. But see, the thing is gary the subject matter and his spin on it, his interpretation of it. Right, that was just too much for the establishment to handle, Okay, because the general message of that film is Number one, Kennedy was killed by a conspiracy, the Warrant Commission covered it up. And number three, Vietnam would not have happened if Kennedy had lived. I happen to think all three of those thesies are true, okay. But the establishment, especially the media establishment, was so tied in because they accepted the One Commission. I know this is hard to believe, but this is true. The day it was issued, if you remember, I don't know how old you are, but on the day the Commission report was issued September twenty seventh, nineteen sixty four, both NBC and CBS had specials. The NBC one was an hour, the CBS one was two hours. Now, let me ask you a question, Gary. The One Report is eight hundred and eighty eight pages long. Right, how can any human being, Aleen, if you took everylyn Wood speed reading, Okay, how could you read eight hundred and eighty eight pages in one day and then assemble a filmed report on it?
Speaker 2: Excellent point in the answer. So you can't do it. James did right, Dia Genio. I'm sorry we're out of time and I wish we had more. The book is the JFK assassination choke holds that inescapably proved there was a conspiracy. Thank you for your time in great success with the book. I'm anxious to read it. Thank you, Gary. You bet by. The Nightcap continues in moments on seven hundred WLW. In Today's Marketers Report, Eric and Taylor, chief marketing officer of jen In Tech, weighs in on audio's ability to reach any audience. Everyone. You hear Dave all over the place. You see him on TV, you hear him on the Nightcap on shows like tonight, and it's great to have him back to talk a little tech in the wild world of Internet and the things that you should be looking out for. He knows them all. Well, he didn't know them all, but we're making a good way through the list anyway, Dave. Let's start with it's Chinese electric cars, which, of course, apparently the Biden administration Kamala want to usher in this era by mandating we all drive electric vehicles by whatever imaginary date they've picked out. Now, Donald Trump has been fighting that. But aside from the politics, what do people need to know if they buy an electric vehicle made in China?
Speaker 8: Dave hatter Well, First off, Gary Jeh, thanks for having me back on. It's good to be back. And yeah, I wish I knew everything is to know about all the scams, but sadly, you know, there's so many new ones coming on board.
Speaker 2: Because every day they got there.
Speaker 8: Yeah, really creative and really devious, and also you know, they want to steal your money. So it's always good to chat with you about this stuff and hopefully raise some awareness. And even things that aren't necessarily scams in the strictest sense, like this ev situation, it's good to make people aware. So I would start out first and say I think you and I have talked about this previously. I encourage everyone to go to Mozilla. They're the people that make the Firefight web browser. Go to their website and look up Privacy not Included. This is a special project they've put together to take a look at so called smart devices, internet of things devices, refrigerators, smart TVs, cars, whatever, and you know, give you some insight into the privacy and security attributes of these things. And they did a big expose on modern cars at the end of last year. It's quite eye opening. I think most people will be very surprised, but it's a nice way to address concerns many people have been raising about modern cars, whether they're electric or not, and the fact that they're basically rolling spy machines that also potentially have a lot of security vulnerabilities which could be exploited and attacked, especially by a nation state actor like China. So when you when you know all that going into it, And there was a story probably from twenty fifteen twenty sixteen, where some reporters worked with some hackers and they took a deep Grand Tiokee out and were able to hack it remotely.
Speaker 2: While yeah remember that story, well remember that well yeah.
Speaker 8: Wired Wired did a big write up on it and it caused the big recalls. Again, this is not a new idea, and people have been warning about this for a long time, and it likes so many things, Gary Jeff. The underlying technology that was built into all of this stuff is just inherently not secure, right. The stuff was designed and built back before these kind of concerns were as much of a thing. So when you look at something like privacy not included, and you realize how much information these things are collecting, but more significantly that they could be weaponized. And now you come back to let's talk about cars being made in China and imported into the US. I mean, every day our relationship with China seems to be getting increasingly adversarial. People have probably seen the videos of the Chinese navy attacking like the Philippines Coast Guard and so forth, you know, and like spraying them with hoses and doing all kinds of crazy stuff. You know, there's just crazy stuff going on here. And then hopefully people have seen the recent stories that our government required backdoors into various networking equipment that have now been exploited by the Chinese Communist Party. The idea that you're going to buy a car made at an adversarial nation where the all companies are completely controlled by the Chinese Communist Party and the PRC, You're going to bring that into the United States and then driving around with it, not only collecting data about you, potentially listening to you through microphones, watching you through cameras, knowing your location, knowing everywhere you go once you connect your phone to it, knowing pretty much everything about you that any Apple on your phone could collect. Now, imagine that there's a back door in there that the PRC could one day to say, today is the day we're going to invade Taiwan. Today is the day we're going to make every Chinese electric vehicle become a weapon. Just at a certain time, just accelerate until you don't, can't because you run into something. And if Art betches that may sound to people that is a real possibility. So I'm glad to see the Biden administration now coming out and warning about Chinese electric vehicles, because I mean, there is a strong possibility. And unless you took one apart and analyzed every single line of code in it, there's no way you could know whether I had this capability built into it or not. And you think they're going.
Speaker 2: To tell you, Oh, Now, I know some pretty famous people that would have loved to have this technology at their fingertips when it came to getting read of maybe incriminating or things you didn't want let out. That's on your laptop. Wiping a Windows laptop the safest way to erase your personal data for free. What can you tell me about this Dave Hadder.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so this is a really important concept, more so than just to win those PC carre Jeff. I mean, who doesn't spend more time on some sort of device, and whether it's the infertainment center in your car like we just talked about, and that the information it can collect about you from the sensors in the car or once you plug your phone in, or it's your phone or your tablet or your PC. We spend a lot more time. You know, our whole society is digital now. We do everything online and when you use these electronic devices, in almost every case, they're collecting information, some of which is potentially sensitive work information, customer information, your financial information, whatever that may be. So when it comes time to decommission of device, whether it's your phone, your tablet, your car, whatever, it's really critical. Even a printer, most modern printers have memory built into in so that they can store print jobs. Yeah, you know, hackers will occasionally go after printers because they know they can potentially get sensitive information that's been printed on the printer. So my point is, whether it's a Windows PC or any sort of electronic device that has internal memory and storage capability, you really need to be thinking about, well, okay, is there sensitive information on this device? And if so, what do I need to do about it before I get rid of it, before I throw it in the garbage, before I take it to a recycling center, which would be better than throwing it in the garbage, or give it to a friend or donate to charity or whatever. You know, you don't want like the passwords for your bank account out there. You don't want sensitive information like your medical records out there. So the badness is depending on the type of device and the operating system that has on it. You know, it can be somewhat difficult to wipe but the easiest thing to understand is, in almost every case there's generally some way to restore things to factory defaults. Right if you get into the settings, whether it's your Android phone or your Apple phone, or you're smart TV or whatever it is, there'll be somewhere in the settings to restore the thing to factory defaultse, which theoretically will wipe out all the information on it. Now, that is a good place to start for most people. You know, it's not going to stop a determined hacker that has the right skills and the right tools right to get the data off of it. But if you start with that, now you know, if you have a Windows based PC or a Mac or something like that, there are specific software tools out there.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 8: You know, in Windows you can restore the factory defaults and there's some additional white capabilities, but you can download specific software tools explicitly designed to wipe something and wipe it to a government level, because just deleting something is so important for people to understand. If you go in and if you're a nerd like me and you know how to do something like format se colling right, well that will theoretically erase everything on the drive, but the data is still there.
Speaker 2: It just tells the computer.
Speaker 8: It's available, and without much effort you can restore the data from it. So just deleting things does not get rid of it. You either have to physically destroy something, electronically destroy it like with a magnet, or you have to use software specifically designed to wipe it. So again, just restoring it to the factor of your fault way better than nothing. For most people. You should let minimum do that. But the best thing for most people probably rather than to try to figure this out themselves, and there are many of these companies around town. Look up E cycling, right, find an authorized company that does electronics recycling, and you can take your devices there and they will give you a certificate that says it has been white you know, sanitized is the appropriate industry term, sanitized in the way that you know. I'm not going to tell you the NFA couldn't get the data off of it at that point, but it would beyond the skills of most people. That's really the best thing, Gary as to have it wife by a professional like that. And generally, if it's being recycled, you know, there's no cost. You take it there, they take it, they give you a certificate, and you know, you can have a hot pretty high level of sure. It's at that point that the data is going to be destroyed on.
Speaker 2: That and so I mean, if I've got naked pictures of myself with the crack pipe and a prostitute, I probably want to all right, Dave, let's.
Speaker 8: Take a quick good plan.
Speaker 2: Let's take a quick break and come back and just more with Dave had her on the nightcap in moments at seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 7: Decision twenty twenty four, the lease for the white House.
Speaker 2: We made a president of the United States who works for all the American dema Kamala Harris.
Speaker 4: We are going to have the four greatest years in the history of our country.
Speaker 7: Donald Trump. If we elected you would be a dictator on day one. It's an all American glob of democracy.
Speaker 6: We will bring back the American dream, bigger, better and stronger than ever before.
Speaker 7: Listen for the latest Don seven one hundred WLU.
Speaker 2: You're busy, we get it.
Speaker 7: Life moves fast and there's hardly a moment to.
Speaker 2: Once again chatting with Dave Hatter, our it guru, our tech head, the nerd about stuff you need to look out for in the Internet of Things world that we live in. There's a new scam that includes pictures of your house. Don't fall you know? I could. I could go online and find a picture of the house where I live right now, just on Google Earth. But some people aren't hip to this yet, Dave, so let them know what's going on.
Speaker 8: Yeah, So, there have been numerous reports about this. The Electronic Frontier Foundation has a good article and explained it in detail. But it's just another scam, you know, first off, and one of the reasons why these large data breach is like the National Public data data breach recently are really devastating to you as a consumer. Is if I'm a bad guy and I can get access to information that will increase the legitimacy of my con. You know, I send you a spoof email so that looks like it comes from a legitimate address, And now I have information about you that the average person wouldn't know because I gleaned it from one of these these dumps, right, and think about it, National Public Data. They're a background check company. Think of the amount of sensitive information the average background check check company would have on someone. So now I have access to all this information that wouldn't generally be publicly available. So when I run my con on you, I'm going to seem much more authentic. Does that Does that make sense what I'm saying. I'll get back to the house picture. So my point is, because there's so much information available about us, the bad guys out there now, and because they're very crafty and devious and innovative, unfortunately, they're constantly coming up with a new scam. So one of these latest is of take off of your sort of standard sextortion scam where they're going to, in many cases, try to get you to take a picture of yourself in some sort of compromising way that they can use against you to then blackmail you. Here basically what they're doing. And again I wanted to point out that in your comments about the Google Earth are really important or the Google Maps. You know, right now, Google drives around taking pictures of people's houses. Anyone can go online and probably find a picture of my house very easily, so you know they will. The scammers can take that picture send it to you as part of a stoofed email. Now they're social engineering you with some con in this case that they've got compromising photos of you doing something, you know, at your house, and they might throw the picture of your house. Isn't that they got off Google.
Speaker 2: Or maybe Zillow or wherever.
Speaker 8: Right there's any number of different places where I could probably find a photo of your house. And you know, if I have a large data breach and I couple that with some smart programming, could I send out an email to every person's email that is associated with a specific physical address and look up that photo and include it to try to convince you that I do actually have photos of you in some compromising way at your house. Yes, that is all a very real thing. So I'm not saying they're sitting around thinking, hey, let's target Gary Jeff Walker today with a photo of his house and telling we have some compromising photos and we're going to you don't send us some money, We're going to release them on the internet and say this can all be automated. Scale now unfortunately, because so much of this data is available, and it not only speaks to if you get one of these emails with a photo of your house claiming they've got compromising photos, if ninety nine percent likelihood at a scam, probably ninety nine point nine percent likelihood as a scam. But you know, anytime you get an email or a text, it's easy to spoof that voicemail. You know, now you're throw into voice cloning. It's easy to create an email that looks like it came from a legitimate source. It's easy to copy content from the website. It's easy to buy this information off the dark web. So you just you've got to be extra skeptical and extra ventulent and understand that the comment will take this information that is now sadly available without most of us and use it to create extra authenticity and extra urgency. You know, so you're going to be caught off guard and be more likely to fall victim of your scam. And honestly, Gary Jeff decides the education and awareness like we're doing here, your next best to defin is to be super visiant, be super skeptical, take up deep breath and just step back and say, you know, is this real? Probably not. And then generally if you do little research, you're going to find very quickly it's almost always a scam. As soon as you pay, they're going to sell your information to other scammers who will come after you as well, because then you've just verified that you're you know, you're a target.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean again, once you pay extortion money, you'll always be paying extortion money, So try not to let it happen in the first place. Speaking of scams, a lot of people out looking for jobs. I know we had to do some rosy job numbers out last Friday, but we had rosy ones earlier in the year that they had to revise downward. But a lot of people are out there looking for jobs right now, Dave, And this scam targets people who are looking for jobs with fake listings. The FBI has warned about this. Tell me a little bit more.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think this is a super important topic because I can tell you from first hand experience. I family know a lot of people in the job market right now. The going is very tough. And yeah, to your point, I know the job numbers, whatever they release tend to get revised down substantially every time. So I want to give a quick plug to two organizations. The Kenton County Library has something called the Northern Kentucky Accountability Group, which is designed to help job seekers find jobs, improve their resume, get new headshots, learn about networking, learn how to use social media, learn how to use the resources at the library to do research. It's a great organization. I've spoken there a couple of times, and basically all you need is a kent County Library card. It's free to use at that point if people are looking for a job. I can't stress en up how helpful that is. And then also on the Ohio side of the river, the Job Search Forum Group JSFG, if you just look it up, very similar organization. I know lots of volunteers that work with both of these groups. So if you're looking for a job, or you're having trouble, you need help with a resume or whatever. Either one or both of these groups great way to network, great way to meet folks who can and want them help you. So with that said, the FBI has warned about this, and it kind of speaks to some of what we've just discussed before. You know, scams are rampant. They're everywhere. The scammers are smart, they want your money. They'll come at you in any way and every way they can, which includes things like search engine poisoning. I can go to a site like a Dice or Monster and I can list a job as a scammer. Right I pay. I put my job out there, so there's an extra air of authenticity because it's now posted on a real job site again, Dice, Monster, Ladders, career Builder, pick one and I. You know, so I find this job and then usually you get sucked down some kind of rabbit hole of you know, they can't wait to hire you, but oh, we're gonna need you to do some training first, and we're gonna need you to pay for that training, or you're gonna have to buy some equipment, and you're gonna have to pay for that equipment and then you'll be reimbursed after we hire you. But you know, sometimes it's a little less less elaborate than that. They just want to steal some credentials or something. But most of the time they're going to run you down a rabbit hole where they're going to convince you that you're going to get some kind of excellent job. And again they might use doppelganger websites where they've copied someone's real website and set it up. They're linking to it from dice. Everything looks legitimate, and then next thing, you know, they want you to pay for something. So I mean, that's that's one of the biggest red flags. And I would say the same thing about recruiters. You know, I've worked with head hunters in the past, as have many people. I know, if they want you to pay up front, you know, most headhunters get paid by your employer. They get paid when they help you get employed. The employer pays their fee, you know, So right off the bat, I would strongly suggest, and I think the FBI would agree, if you go read what they have to say, and I encourage folks go see what they are saying about this, so you'll be you know, more a team to the tells of this. But if they want you to pay up front for a job, something is wrong, something is not right, almost guaranteed scam. If it feels too good to be true, it probably is. And just understand that. You know, whether it's an email telling you about a job, someone reaches out to you on LinkedIn, because I get that all the time. Oh, your profile looks fantastic and you know you have the perfect experience and we would like to hire you today, blah blah blah. Usually it's you know, the language is kind of weird, but you know they'll come at you from any angle, Gary Jeff. And as soon as they'll use legitimate websites to give whatever their con is some air of legitimacy. So you've got to be aware, you've got to be skeptical. And as soon as they ask for money upfront, or they never ever want to do any kind of meeting, right, Yeah, you know, it's not uncommon now for people to be interviewed over zoom or teams or something. But if no one can ever meet in person, and I get it could be a remote job. You know, those are red flags. People should go read what the FBI is saying, and I would encourage every job seeker out there, you know, go read what they're saying, and then you know, follow them on Twitter or x because they're constantly warning about this stuff and putting out great tips that will help you not get scanned. Because really, think about it, Gary Jeff, how scummy is it Someone has already down, they already have a problem, and now you're going to steal money from them while they're looking for a job. I mean, come on, it doesn't get too much more than that, No.
Speaker 2: It doesn't. You can hear Dave Hatter every Friday morning on fifty five KRC, and like I said, you see him everywhere because he's got the good stuff. He's got the goods. And thanks for sharing those goods with us tonight, mister Hatter.
Speaker 8: Always my pleasure, Gary Jeff, look forward to chatting with he.
Speaker 2: Against it all right, brother. The Nightcap continues with the wild Man coming up and aj Rice Jeff Walker back in the saddle and back to talk to my friend aj Rice, who was the head of Publius, which is absolutely one of the leading in fact, if not one of probably the leading publicity firm in the nation. They have all kinds of authors and interesting people. And that's where I get a lot of guests thanks to a courtesy of AJ and Drew and the rest of the rest of the White Dudes Not for Harris. The new book is the White Privilege Album Publius Prose, Volume two. It is so funny the subtitle bringing racial harmony to very fine people on both sides once again, AJ Rice, Hello, and welcome to the Nightcap.
Speaker 6: And I'm not just the White Dudes not for Harris, uh President, I'm also a client charter founding member of White Dudes, not for Harris. Big shout out to the very fine people out there in this audience. You know who you are, all right.
Speaker 2: So the first thing when I when I got my copy, by the way, thank you for the book. When I got my copy, the first thing I do when I turn the inside page is the advance praise for the White Privilege Album. And I'm gonna I'm just gonna read a couple of these and I'll save the rest for those who are gonna actually go out and get the book. And you should get it. It's hilarious. If you enjoy humor and satire and UH attacks on the UH on the current woke culture in America. You will love this book.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: I mean it's it's like, it's better than the Babylon b aj It's wonderful. Here it is advance praise for the White Privilege Album by AJ Rice. What do you mean gen Z doesn't know the Republican Party freed the slaves? Are these people dumb? Af They need to write, They need to read aj Rice's book. That came from Abraham Lincoln, American lawyer, statesman and sixteenth President of the United States, shot by a pre Hollywood anti American actor. This is frid and I like it.
Speaker 6: There's nothing like getting a blurb from Lincoln.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, I mean you've got a positive blurb from Lincoln. There are some more celebrities who chimed in through the ages somehow. In twenty twenty four for the White Privilege album. Jesus and I have been doing holidays a long time, and in his thought provoking new book, aj Rice teaches both of us where all the white liberals went. Apparently they now celebrate something called Kwanza. Who knew that's from Santa Claus cookie eater reindeer tender and white, heteronormative Christian saint. How did you get all these all these historical characters?
Speaker 6: Number one, Look, I told Don Junior an RF kid Jr. I didn't want their blurbs because I've got Santa Claus and I've got Ben Franklin and Abraham Lincoln.
Speaker 2: Jeez. So I wanted to talk to you a couple of things that happened over the weekend. Ajay and get your read on this. Andrea Mitchell from MSNBC was quoted over the weekend saying that Kamala Harris needs to do more media because she needs to bolster her image with men and that and that they don't they don't think she's a serious person. Well, the fact of the matter is if they don't think she's a serious person, it's not misogyny. It's because Kamala Harris is not a serious person, that's right.
Speaker 6: And look, she's the you know, second most most unlikable woman in history after Hillary. Yeah, and and and has half the IQ of Hillary. And and look, you.
Speaker 2: Know she's she's kept men away her whole life.
Speaker 6: We talked about it. She couldn't find a husband until she was fifty So, I mean, what do you expect. I mean, the American male is not going to be fooled.
Speaker 4: We were not.
Speaker 6: We're out of here just to vote for you because of your body parts. And you're you're a Jamaican, and you're Canadian, you're Indian, you're this, you're that.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 6: I mean, come on, there's nothing relatable to this woman. And she does look like look and we talk about Hillary, right, it's gotta be eaten Hillary up looking at this woman, the accidental nominee. Hillary actually won a primary. She was she won primaries against Obama, then she won primaries against Bernie, became the nominee, debated Trump three times. Right, So I mean she's I guarantee you if you could get it's somehow inside of you know, Hillary, like you know, some sort of you could unzip hillary skin suit and you could get in there. Now my recommending this, by the way, ladies, but I'll tell you, if you could get in there and see through her eyes. She's looking at Kamala, I guarantee you all she sees is Monica Lewinsky.
Speaker 2: Speaking speaking of her.
Speaker 6: She looks at Kamala, she sees Monica Lewinsky speaking of just does Kamala have a blue dress?
Speaker 2: I think I saw her in one, and and I didn't see any stains. I didn't like blue.
Speaker 6: She's been wearing these, these outfits, these get ups, and I'm sure the audience loves this. Two men talking about what women are wearing. But she looks she dresses like she's the manager of H and R.
Speaker 4: Block.
Speaker 6: She wears these shirts, these these suits, tops that look like Seinfeld's puffy shirt, remember the puffy shirt from sil looks like a pirate. She looks like a pirate. In fact, she is kind of She's kind of a pirate because she's here to rob your wallet.
Speaker 2: I hate to confess this, but yes, in that era, I was inspired to go out and buy a puffy shirt simply because Jerry Seinfeld did on TV. Is Hillary? Is Hillary Clinton perhaps the most bitter woman in America ever. I mean, she still hasn't gotten over twenty sixteen. She still thinks so no.
Speaker 6: No, she ain't gotten over Obama beating her. Oh I know, God, I mean Obama beat her like a drum. However, whether remember when they're standing on stage with Edwards Spaghegy Edwards and they're standing up there and they're asking Obama, what say something nice about your opponent. Obama goes, you're likable enough. You're likable enough. It's one of the greatest things Obama ever said. You know Hillary, Yeah, yeah, you're likable enough.
Speaker 2: Oh Joe Bama.
Speaker 6: Remember remember she was married to the first black president. There she is getting beaten. There, she is getting beaten by the second black president.
Speaker 2: So you know, the White Privilege Album is the book A. J. Rice, the author from Publius PR Firm. And I gotta ask you too about since we're talking about current events, are you surprised at all? This actually came from X. I saw this from a FEMA meeting, And this is actual quotes from a FEMA meeting where they said, first, the relief has to go to the LGBTQ population because they've already been suffering. They actually said that in a FEMA meeting. Does that surprise you at all?
Speaker 6: No, not at all. I'm not shocked. We are now we are now identity politics. We are now separating our victims based upon sexual orientation. I mean, it is so insane. They all need to be sued. This is against equal protection clause. It's outrageous. The fact that they sort of that they even think this way means that they need a freaking reset on their gray matter. It's unbelievable. Oh, I mean, but then again, I don't really see a lot of people come and run and to save North Carolina the way I saw them come running to save the Katrina people. Right, No, So, I mean they're playing a little game. They play identity politics with people's lives. They should be ashamed of themselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, FEMA relief is no longer about getting the greatest good for the greatest amount of people. It's about disaster equity, which I didn't even know existed, the disaster equity.
Speaker 6: And looked, twenty seven out of the twenty nine counties hit by Helene in North Carolina all voted for Trump. Oh yeah, so you just do the freaking math. I mean, are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: You can't know?
Speaker 4: You should?
Speaker 6: We need to go down there and start putting signs up welcome to Ukraine and maybe they'll move fastest.
Speaker 2: Speaking of Joe Biden and Kamala and how Hillary hates Obama and he hates Kamala because she sees Monica Lewinsky, Joe Biden running rough shot over Kamala when she was when he came out for the first time in his presidency to the White House Press Corps to answer questions and bigfoot her and tie her to everything that administration has done. That was, I mean, you want to talk about bitter people, Joe Biden, Joe.
Speaker 6: Biden where Yeah, well look, but in fairness to him, he didn't really know where he was. He had never been in that room. There was an audible gasp when he entered it. You know, I think he thought he was like Uncle Miltie's bar right in Wilmington, at the pub on the corner with corn pop, and he's just start to you know, all this and hey, everybody, you know all this terrible crap We've been doing here for four years. She was the author of all of it. So write that down.
Speaker 2: I love I love the book. The way you you do the chapters as a track listing on an actual album. That that was brilliant.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: Number one is jan Privilege. And you do it months to months and have.
Speaker 4: All these tee months of privilege.
Speaker 2: The twelve months of privilege for very fine people on both sides.
Speaker 6: That's right.
Speaker 2: Obama's dreams of my woke nightmare, and.
Speaker 6: Well, you go through the book, you know, the first chapter of January in the last December. So we go through an entire calendar year of craziness, and you know, we touch on different historical events that take place, some of which have become holidays. So we cover everything from you know, June teenth to Halloween, and we have some fun with it. You know, you go to October, you get Columbus Day, you get Halloween. You find out how I want to dress up like a black guy for Halloween, but they won't let me. You know, all through the eighties, I was dressed up like Doctor J for Halloween. Now they won't let me.
Speaker 2: I thought I was Doctor J when I was when I was a teenager, I wanted to beat Doctor J so bad. Hey, brother, I haven't had the natural fro. I mean I didn't have to.
Speaker 6: I'm talking about Oh yeah, come on.
Speaker 2: The only problem was, you know, the only problem was I had an eighteen inch vertical leap. Maybe at best. Here it is. Here's another heading of one of these privileged track listings. White splaining is super fun. Everyone should try it.
Speaker 6: It's amaz, it's amazing. White's planning is one of the funniest. Look. They have created a whole sort of you know, sub language with this wokeness, right yeah, I mean, and there's nothing more fun than deriding them for it.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 6: White explaining is basically, you know something that some dummy doesn't know. And your ancestors happened to be from Western Europe, so you're White's plaining to them. Now, now you're a dummy, and I'm here to explain to you. Where to plug the extension cord is ridiculous, you know, and everybody knows where to plug the extension courts At the back of Joe Biden's rear rant. That's where the extension court goes. That's the only thing that keeps him going.
Speaker 2: You know what, You make so many great valid points in the White Privilege album, aj Rice, But I just turned to this. I'm on page seventy six, and you're talking about celebrating the great emancipator of America's pastime, and you talk about how Major League Baseball rightly celebrates Jackie Robinson Day, but there should be another celebration in Major League Baseball branch Ricky Day, because he was the guy who had the kahunas and guts to step out. I mean, there are very very funny things in this book. I guess my point is, but there are some very very serious points you make that have been ignored by the people who who write the revisionist history in America.
Speaker 6: Sure, and I do get into a lot of different aspects of sports, everything from Jim Brown to Aaron Judge of the New York Yankees, and you know, it's one of the great's supposed to Sports is supposed to be one of the great equalizers. And obviously our sports media is as left wing as our political media, and they are constantly trying to divide us.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 6: They never liked the fact that Derek Jeter would not put his blackfist in the air. They don't like when Michael Jordan says Republicans by sneakers too. They don't like that. They don't like it. It's off script. They want you to stay on script. And the script is sixteen nineteen project black Lives Matter, black national anthem at the football games, get on the ground with Kaepernick and shut your mouth. And that's not what this country's supposed to be. You know. Recently, it's not in the book, but a recent example is they're all over Patrick Mahomes because he won't weigh in on every single little political issue, right because his wife like like some Donald Trump post. You know, when you look at Patrick Mahomes, who's got a white mom and a black dad. He's married to a white woman, which makes his two children a quarter black. That we're keeping track of this stuff like insane people. Okay, only insane people do this, you know, Irish people. We just keep track of how many shots we've had before we fall. That's what we keep track of. And and look Mahomes, who's amazing. He's become the face of the league now the Brady's gone. He doesn't want to get in on it. He doesn't want to weigh in on it. And all those little left wing race bader hacks out there at the Atlantic and on freaking ESPN, they're all mad that he won't put the black fist in the air. It's just ridiculous. I mean, Mahomes and his family. Isn't that sort of the prototype of what Martin Luther King was talking about, that we're all just eventually become one people and we'll marry this one and that one, and that, you know, isn't that what we're supposed to do here. The Irish and the Italians used to hate each other. Now we're all married to each.
Speaker 2: Other, which makes for some very he makes some very interesting dinner parties at the look. No, no, you know what you mentioned, of course, And how could you not mention if you're talking about wet WoT culture in America and the politicians who are exploiting that, like Elizabeth Warren. You know the old joke about Elizabeth Warren. You never buy a car from Elizabeth Warren because it'll be advertised as a red Cherokee. You get there and it's a white suburban. That's right. The book is the White Privilege Album Publius Pros. Volume two, bringing racial harmony to very fine people on both sides. The author is aj Rice, and there's a forward by one of my favorite people, Vincent Everard Albert. I've had Vee on my show a number of times and let him know I'm looking for another interview soon before election. All right, aj Rice, thank you for your time. Brother. I really do appreciate you, man, I appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Everybody get out there and vote.
Speaker 2: Let's do this, yep. And after you vote, by the white Privilege album do It? Thanks AJ, It's the Nightcap and the wild Man. Not that that wasn't a wild Man Coming up AFTERNOWS On seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 9: Rocky year with a reminder, if you miss a part of the Eddie and Rocky Show, you can always catch the podcast on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 7: And hear what you missed.
Speaker 9: Also, if you listen to the podcast while you're in bed, it feels like Eddie and I are snuggling with you, and that's kind of nice.
Speaker 6: Deep in the back of your mind, you've always had the feeling that there's something strange about reality.
Speaker 2: There is Man Walker on my phone. Wild Man, Welcome back to the Cap. On seven hundred WLW. How are you this evening? Good sir, Always glad to be with you.
Speaker 4: Happy Monday night.
Speaker 2: Happy Monday night. Indeed, first off, foremost we're talking about Terry Francona. We're talking about the Cincinnati Rads. You actually hope that this would happen, and Tito was coming out of retirement to manage the Cincinnati Redgs in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 4: Your thoughts as soon as it was announced that the Reds had let David Bell leave. I had it out on Facebook. Hier Terry Francona, Hier Terry.
Speaker 2: Franconack you told me ed, Yeah, And.
Speaker 4: Gary jump Ike said that they should have hired him, you know, ten years fit twelve years ago before they hired Dusty Baker. But they didn't listen to me this time they did. But I got to tell you this right out of the gate. The jersey number that Terry Francona will wear number seventy seven, seven times seven equals fourteen. How's that for an omen.
Speaker 2: It's always it was always a Pete Rose time continuum with you, no matter what you're talking, you always go back to Rose baby.
Speaker 4: And he played under Pete. Oh yeah, eighty seven. Yeah, he played under Pete.
Speaker 2: How about that?
Speaker 4: I think I think Terry did that for a reason.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean yeah, it's quite possible. I mean, why not. But just your thoughts on his health. Apparently he's ready to take that challenge on again, even though he said he he retired for health reasons when he left Cleveland and all of that. But this is a Hall of Fame manager who is coming to this moribund franchise with you know, great history, great past, but not a recent past. That many can be proud of and talk about, even a member of the lifelong member of the rail gang like you, wild man. So what does Terry Francona bring besides wisdom and the pedigree and and can he really turned this around?
Speaker 4: Well, he's a winner. He's a winner. I mean, two World Series titles, won the most games ever in the history of the Cleveland Indians. I'll never say that other name of the team or reviews to do and it will never do it chief while lives forever. He's He's a winner, man, He's a winner. I know for a fact that Terry Francona watched a lot of Reds games this year. I know for a fact that he did, and he sees the core of the team. We've got some good players still, We've got some good players, but you got to have some other players to help it out. And he'll he'll get the guys to be held accountable. They have to be. I guess that's one of David Bell's false I don't know nobody has really come out and set it directly, but I think Jonathan India kind of did. But they they've got a winner and Terry Franconan. They really do. It's not gonna, that's gonna. We would like to see it happen immediately. You never know, but let's be patient. He's here for three years, I believe, with an option. But they've got a hell of a lot of hell of a manager.
Speaker 2: We really do, they really do.
Speaker 4: They're really They're lucky to get them, they really are.
Speaker 2: You mentioned that the Reds do have good players, and I agree with you. Which of the players are the current Reds roster? Do you think are Terry francona kind of players that can contribute to this winning season? If the Reds can think about that, Who are who are? Who are t well? Well?
Speaker 4: For Welford, Jonathan India is one we sure because he always plays hard. That's that's a definite. Uh. Jake Freeley, definitely, he plays hard all the time. Elie de la Cruz, I mean that guy has one motor and that's always to go out. So he's got, you know, some guys to lean on. And then of course you know, he's really good with young players. I mean, I think I heard Marty Branahan say that he's really good with young players and he knows how to handle the veteran players. To give him a kick in the button when they're needed, or pat him on the shoulder when when it's needed. They were the reds at a Grand Slam. With this higher they really have. I mean a manager is only good maybe for five six seven wins a year. I mean that's when you break it down. But those five six or seven wins could get him into the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no doubt about it. How did how did you feel about you? He said they should have hired Terry Francona before they hired Dusty Baker. How do you How do you feel looking back on on Dusty Baker's tenure. I mean he got he got him to the play playoffs, but they could never win uh in the playoffs? Uh? So I mean compare the two because Dusty Baker was successful during the regular season everywhere he ever managed.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: Terry Francona has been successful, obviously, winning a couple of World Series rings in Boston and getting Cleveland right up to the precipice of that greatness. Your your thoughts remembering back to Dusty Baker and what he brought to I was.
Speaker 4: Never I wasn't a big Dusty Baker fan at all, not at all. I mean I was against the hiring. I said they should have They weren't gonna we weren't going to hire Pete. I wanted Pete mccannon, who really kind of took the bull by the horns and had a winning record as interfim manager after they after they let Brian Price go. But you know, Dusty did a good job and he'll be in the Redgs Hall of Fame. He did a fine job. But it seemed, it seemed to me, Gary, Jeff, I'm not really seeing It's obvious it was right there. He changed his managing style when they got in the playoffs for some reason. He wasn't the same manager as he was during the Raidar season. And you can't do that. You can't. It's like you're changing horses and mystery and it never works, never has. And he just couldn't get him over the hump. You just couldn't get him over the ump. And I'll let me tell you this. Had they not had that rain delay in Cleveland, Hary Frank come to it, had another World Series rain because the role as Chapman was on the verge of being Steve Bartman number two.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, uh here we let's do one more thing here, because we talked about this the last time we chatted, I believe, was about moving La de la Cruz to center field with that arm and the speed he has. Uh what I I mean, what do the Reds have to do? Is Matt McLain going to be a part of this if he's healthy next year? And can they move la out into uh out into center fills?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 4: I think I think that makes sense. So the ground that guy can cover in the arm that he has, now, would he be willing to do it? Hey, if you're a team player, you'd be willing to do it. Pete Rose would move to any position for the team. Did he not? Did he not move to from leftfield to third base so George Foster can play?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Did he not move to the leftfield so Tommy Hens could play? I mean, Ellie Day La Cruise a team player and if you're if you're a shortstop, you can play center field. Eric Davis started out as a short stop, played centerfield. Now the Rets have been quiet about this. Maybe they'll address this when he gets the spring training. It all hedges Gary jeff on the health of Matt McClain, who is a natural shortstop. He will not make those thirty eight errors at shortstop. There's no way he will. But will they move Ellie day La Cruise. To me, it's a no brainer and they should do it. Just do it now'll just.
Speaker 2: Do it well. Injuries have played as much a part in, you know, the Reds not performing. I mean, they did obviously almost make five hundred this year, but they got to do much better than that if we're going to return to the days of glory at Great American Ballpark. Any final thoughts on the Reds because we're going to move to the Bengals here in just a moment, one.
Speaker 4: And fifty five days, I believe to open a day, Let's go.
Speaker 2: Wild Man's always chomping at the bit for more Reds baseball and Terry francona Jersey seventy seven seven plus seven equals what wild Man fourteen?
Speaker 4: It's an omen, baby, It's an omen.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll talk about Bengals and the one and four start and yesterday's game here in just a moment. As we put the rap on this nightcap on seven hundred, wa I thought, maybe, just maybe I don't have any experience, but I could have held that ball that snap a little bit better than Ricode did yesterday in the Bengals loss and what turned out to be the defining play of that overtime loss to the Baltimore Ravens yesterday at pay Court Stadium. I know you had to be just like like all Bengals fans, you had to be just just chewing your heart out, eating your heart out at the end of that game, after such a superb performance by Joe Burrow in the offense, and again you expect the Bengals defense to not have, you know, an ability to stop the run because they have an all season long, and Lamar Jackson made him look foolish at the wrong times, and they did a pretty good job with Derrick Henry. But in the end, it was not to be Bengals fans. They start the season one and four with only an eyelashes chance of even contemplating the playoffs. Now zero and three at home. It's just it's just turned out to be such a disaster of season, and Joe Burrow's been healthy. Explain what happened?
Speaker 4: Well, I get you got about an hour, Well.
Speaker 2: We got about eight minutes, So go ahead, Oh.
Speaker 4: Oh, Gary, Jeff, I mean, when you score thirty eight points, you should win every game. If you look at the last three games the Bengals have played, those those were you know, they did win one of them, but they were very winnable. The New England Patriots game, that was a simple case of head coach Zach Taylor not having the guys ready to play the very first game of the year like he has the last four seasons. Now, now we're gonna we're gonna come down hard. I'm sure on the uh on the the placeholder for the attempted field goal, but that that was just a dumb call to try to kick a field goal from that distance. They had three chances. They didn't even attempt to throw a pass. Now, Zach Tailor made a name a lame comment about the Joe was given the chance to throw it, but he checked off. But he still had two other chances. You have two receivers with four touchdowns, amazing, one receiver with almost two hundred yards, and you got a quarterback. You're paying fifty five million dollars. You put it in the hands of the quarterback. Do you think do you think that the head coach of the Chiefs would be going for a field goal and he's got Patrick Mahomes back there. Come on, man, you put it in the hands of your quarterback. He already threw from aulmost four hundred yards. Terrible decision, just terrible. And that's typical of Zach Taylor. He's never aggressive. He always plays passive, and passive will get you to lose every damn time.
Speaker 2: Well and again, these running plays right up the middle into the heart of that Baltimore defense. They're the number one rushing defense in the NFL. What were all those running plays straight up the guy that the Bengals were attempting.
Speaker 4: Well, you tell me. And what's the point of having an offensive coordinator if he's not going to call the plays. I mean, you can save that money and maybe pick up an extra player and for the for the team. I mean this this falls in the hands of the head coach. It does. This loss was on Zach Taylor. Zach Taylor's play calling his atrocious And you know what, the majority of Bengal fans are seeing this now. They are really seeing this now. And let's let's put this out here for you. When he was offensive coordinator at Miami for the Dolphins, he's stunk and he was the offensive coordinator at UC. He's stunk. He's not a very he cannot call the plays. He cannot He's not good at it, especially in crunch time.
Speaker 2: Yeah time. I find his play calling very offensive and no good, no good, get you.
Speaker 4: And how about the way this game I'm pooled it where you know, just before the Ravens kick the game winning field goal, but Lamar Jackson, he bubbles the ball. He's flushed out of the pocket. I know, Sam Hubbard almost has them, falls down, and he runs to the right side of the field and throws the ball across the field aka Dwight Clark Joe Montana for a touchdown the same play, almost almost the same play, well when nobody there to jump up a knock the receiver.
Speaker 2: Down or whatever when he fumbled that snap. It seems like the more chaotic things are at the line of scrimmage, the better Lamar Jackson is. Don't you agree?
Speaker 4: Oh? Absolutely, absolutely right. I remember Fran targets him. That guy would drive you crazy running around. Guys couldn't catch him. And this is the way Lamar Jackson is. It's hard to break the guy down because he's got as quick as a.
Speaker 2: Cat Well, and plus he's a lot larger than Fran Tarkington and a lot more a lot more physically athletic than Fran. Target Fran was a scrambler. He was the all time scrambler. But there's also the fact that Lamar Jackson, I'm sure no one has forgotten, this was the league's MVP last year, and he just demonstrated why again yesterday in those crucial game ending situations and all this kind.
Speaker 4: Of hard fact that you know, Joe Burrow fifty five million dollars, the games on the line are on the thirty eight yard line, and you don't accept one or two passes. I mean, they put it in the hands of a kicker. Oh man, you know, uh, you know.
Speaker 5: Don't don't.
Speaker 4: Don't people realize history sometimes, you know, this the this the Buffalo Bills put in the hands of Scott Norwood. It was really it was beyond his capabilities, and he kicked it right a wide right. I mean, come on, well, okay, don't put the game in the hands of the kicker unless you really have to, and they didn't have to in that situation. It was a it was very stupid.
Speaker 2: All it was stupid in all fairness. Evan McPherson has proven that he can hit that that length of a field goal. You said Scott Norwood didn't have the capability. Evan McPherson has proven he's got the capability. But the bad snap, I mean, and the and the mishold you know right there, you can you can point to any number of things towards them.
Speaker 4: They should have got the ball up closer and they didn't even attempt. And then Gary Jaffer, Jamar Chase and t Higgins both came out after the game and said, you know that we probably should have thrown the ball a couple of times. And when you got players questioning the head coach, there's a problem there. Now there's a problem.
Speaker 2: Well, uh, you know what now, now look ahead to uh next week.
Speaker 4: And don't say it, and don't say it. The New York Giants, Okay, that's what they are, the New York Giants. I don't know who started this New York football giants, but you can there's a whole generation. I have no idea that the New York Giants Originally, you know, there was a team in New York played baseball and they moved to San Francisco and then somebody decided to take it upon themselves to say the football and the team now it's the New York Football Giants. That's so damn dumb. That's so damn dumb. They're the New York Giants period.
Speaker 2: You you you get wanked out at the weirdest stuff. But I understand what you're saying, uh so, And the New York Giants that you're talking about, they beat a three and one Seattle team yesterday, So the path doesn't get any easier for the Bengals.
Speaker 4: No. I heard your boy Willie is saying. We had a lot of easy games coming up. There are no easy games for this football team because of the defense. And it looks like we just lost Das Hill of ACL so he's out.
Speaker 2: For the year.
Speaker 4: So just the hits just keep on coming on the defensive side. I mean, Joe Burrow, you look at his numbers right now, MVP numbers. Put the ball in the hands of the quarterback. Why did you draft the guy number one? You're paying him all that medians, he said Patrick Mahomes, he would have just been chopping at the bit with a chance like that, get the the ball downfield to get a better shot. At the field. Well, I mean makes me so mad.
Speaker 2: Can the Bengals, uh make a trade for Andy Reid?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 4: But how about Bill Belichick?
Speaker 2: Oh? Oh, I know Bill's out there, He's on the beach.
Speaker 4: He's out there. But that's not happening. And the only way, the only way. And I look, I don't you know. I don't hate Zach Taylor. I mean, please, let's not go there. I don't like his play calling. He's done a great job creating a great culture in a locker room that was what really needed at the time. Again, he's really created a great culture, and he's been involved with some really good draft choices. But as a play caller and him go back to the Super Bowl when they went forward on fourth and one at midfield, which was dumb that early in the game you play field position. Of course, the play failed and the Rams went down score a touchdown, and of course the Bengals lost. But I think it was six points or seven points. But that nut's neither here or there. But his play calling, it's just getting bad. It's just bad. It's not he's not the guy to call the plays. He's not. He should give it up. I mean, he kind of hinted when they hired, when he hired the the offensive coordinator or prom voted him, that he was going to let him call some plays. He's not Zach's calling all the plays. So what's the point of having on offensive coordinator. You see Mike Commlin, You see Mike Common calling any plays on the sideline?
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, no.
Speaker 4: I mean there's a lot of head coaches that's their quarterbacks, you know, called the plays, or the offensive coordinator call the play. So the way I look at it, Gary, Jeff, you're paying Joe Burrow fifty five million dollars. I think he's capable of making the right calls at the offensive line. I do he should call the play.
Speaker 2: We just talked. We talked about this last week. Why not let your quarterback call the plays. No, he knows, he knows the talent, he knows the offense. I mean, come on, and.
Speaker 4: Until Joe Burrow goes and I don't know, Joe's not you know, you can kind of tell you it's not that kind of guy. What maybe he is behind the scenes, But until Joe goes to Mikey Brown or Katie Brown and says, look, this ain't working man, This ain't working. We've got to make a change here. It's not going to happen because Mike Brown, you know him, and his little royalty. You keep coaches on forever, no matter how many games they lose. Wild Man, I'm not cavricating. He should be fired, but there's gotta be there. There's gotta be a change here. Got happen.
Speaker 2: We gotta roll on, wild Man, Thank you so much, my brother.
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 2: Who who day? Everybody so far except for Carolina. We end with the national anthem to honor America. This is the nightcap.