Speaker 1: Welcome to the Deep Dive, the show where we cut through the noise to get you truly well informed on fascinating topics.
Speaker 2: Great to be digging into another one.
Speaker 1: So, you know, in our increasingly digital world, there's this constant, often hidden battle being waged. It's not just against external threats, but right within the very systems we rely on every single day. Right, Think of it like well, a digital fortress and understanding its weaknesses, you know, the chinks in the armor is just as crucial as actually building the walls themselves.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, for a long long time, the security mindset was almost entirely focused just on network perimeters, right, the outer walls exactly. Companies poured money into firewalls, network defenses, which, honestly it kind of fostered a full sense of security in some ways. How so well, because then our reliance on web technologies just exploded, you know, public websites, internal apps, everything moved online.
Speaker 1: Ah okay, And that's where the whole game changed, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Precisely because suddenly web applications became just as vulnerable to attack, maybe even more so than those traditional networks and operating systems.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've all seen the headlines.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, absolutely recent years, I mean, we've seen just spectacular data leaks, breaches affecting millions of records.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everything from credit cards, health histories.
Speaker 2: Social security numbers, you name it. And so often these really devastating attacks they didn't start with breaking through the.
Speaker 1: Network firewall, no where.
Speaker 2: Then they often started with a vulnerability or maybe a simple design flawed directly within a web application itself.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the industry had to react to that. It did.
Speaker 2: We saw this rapid rise in defensive tech, things like web application firewalls wfs and run time applications self protection are asp plus you know, sophisticated web vulnerability scanners, source code scanners became standard. Companies finally started realizing the immense value of testing applications before they go.
Speaker 1: Live, which leads us perfectly in today's deep dive topic penetration testing exactly. Think of this as your shortcut to understanding how ethical hackers, well if they act like controlled adversaries, right.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, meticulously identifying and exploiting vulnerabilities, especially in those really critical web applications.
Speaker 1: So today we're going to unpack the skills, the surprising facts, the powerful tools that help strengthen our digital defenses. And we're drawing insights from a really comprehensive source called improving your penetration testing Skills. Yeah, it's a great resource, So get ready to see the world of digital security from the attacker's perspective.
Speaker 2: But you know, for good, that's the key. At its core, penetration testing is well, it's the art of making a computer system or an application do things it was never designed to do.
Speaker 1: But ethically.
Speaker 2: But ethically, yes, the goal is always to discover flaws before the malicious actors do and then provide you know, actionable advice on how to fix them.
Speaker 1: So it helps everyone really, company, hospitals.
Speaker 2: Schools, government agencies, helping them secure their vital applications and of course their data.
Speaker 1: So it's like a controlled strategic attack to find the weak spots before the actual bad guys do. How do these engagements usually work? Does the testing team always get all the info upfront?
Speaker 2: Well, it varies quite a bit, actually depends on the type of engagement you've got. Black box testing.
Speaker 1: Okay, black box.
Speaker 2: This simulates an external attacker who's completely uninformed. The pen tester starts with well zero knowledge, just like a real world hacker might trying to map the network discover defenses all from scratch, but you know, for internal applications, this might sometimes be a less efficient way to go. Why is that because a real attacker might easily gather public info, or frankly, they might be a disgruntled insider who already knows a lot, So the black box test might miss things an insider threat wouldn't.
Speaker 1: Okay, So it's like trying to break into a house without knowing where the doors or windows are, versus say, having some basic.
Speaker 2: Blueprints exactly that. Then on the other end of the spectrum you have white box testing total opposite, I'm guessing complete opposite. The testing team gets full information, source code, architecture, diagrams, you name it. It's extremely thorough. And in the middle that's grey box testing, an intermediate approach. Some info is provided, but not everything. This often simulates, say an insider threat, or maybe what someone could do with a compromised user account.
Speaker 1: What's really interesting, though, is that even with these structured approaches, pen testing still has limits. Right, It's not like a magic wand.
Speaker 2: You wave, oh, absolutely not. That's a crucial point to understand. First, there's the limitation of skills, meaning well, it's incredibly tough to find one person who's equally skilled across all the major areas network system and web application Penetration testing expertise is often really specialized, right.
Speaker 1: Someone might be brilliant with apatche servers but know nothing about ISO.
Speaker 2: For example, exactly and figuring out how a seemingly low risk vulnerability could actually so is a high threat to a specific system that often comes only with you know, deep experience and I bet.
Speaker 1: Time is always a massive factor, especially compared to a real attacker.
Speaker 2: Always. Penetration testing is almost always a short, pre defined project. Testers have a limited window, maybe a week or two to find vulnerabilities and produce results.
Speaker 1: Whereas a malicious attacker.
Speaker 2: They have unlimited time days, weeks, months, plus. The pen tester has the added burden of writing these incredibly detailed, defensible reports with screenshots and explanations. An attacker doesn't worry about that.
Speaker 1: So they can't just throw everything they have at a target, even if they technically.
Speaker 2: Could not always know in really secure environments, standard frameworks or automated tools might just bounce off. They might be.
Speaker 1: Useless, So they have to get creative.
Speaker 2: Yeah, forcing the team to create custom exploits or manually write scripts to test specific things, and that's incredibly time consuming. It directly impacts the project's budget and timeline. Okay, Another common limitation is deliberately avoiding denial of service or DOS attacks.
Speaker 1: Why avoid those seems like something you'd want to test.
Speaker 2: Well, many testers intentionally avoid them because they don't want to inadvertently cause client downtime. It's a business risk.
Speaker 1: Ah, makes sense.
Speaker 2: But the downside is this inadvertently leaves systems potentially open to well script kitties, less sophisticated attackers who just want notoriety by taking systems offline. So it's really vital to educate clients upfront about the pros and cons of doing this kinds of test.
Speaker 1: That's a really good point. And what about the tools themselves? Are they always reliable?
Speaker 2: That's another limitation The tools used, No single tool, free or commercial, is perfect. They all have blind spots, so.
Speaker 1: The tester needs to know more than just how to run the tool exactly.
Speaker 2: The testing team needs to be knowledgeable enough to adapt, understand the tool's limitations, and find alternatives when you know its features just aren't cutting it for a specific scenario.
Speaker 1: All this makes me think about where a pen tester actually practice this stuff. You can't just go poking around random websites on.
Speaker 2: The internet, right, illegal? You're absolutely right. It is illegal in most countries to scan, test, or exploit vulnerabilities on the Internet without explicit written authorization from the owner.
Speaker 1: So how do they learn?
Speaker 2: That's why having a controlled, owned and isolated lab environment is just paramount, absolutely essential. It's the only place you can freely practice and develop your skills without any legal worries.
Speaker 1: And there are specific vulnerable environments for that.
Speaker 2: Yes, things like oh washbroken web applications or hackers on which we'll definitely talk more about. They're perfect for this kind of safe practice.
Speaker 1: Okay, so setting up this ethical hacking lab, what's the go to operating system? I always hear Klie Linux.
Speaker 2: Ah, Collie Linux. Yes, it really is kind of the ethical hackers dream toolkit.
Speaker 1: Why is that? What's the big deal?
Speaker 2: Its main value is just how much it simplifies the setup. It comes with pretty much whch all the major hacking tools pre installed along with all their dependencies. Oh nice, So it means you can focus immediately on learning and actually doing the attacks, rather than wasting hours just installing and configuring individual tools and offensive security. The folks behind Collie they keep these tools frequently updated, so you're always working with the latest stuff.
Speaker 1: So it's like a constantly updated, pre assembled workshop for digital security. That's incredibly useful.
Speaker 2: It really is, and it's remarkably versatile too. Collie runs on various hardware Google, Chromebooks, Raspberry.
Speaker 1: Pie, Raspberry Pie Wow.
Speaker 2: There's even net Hunter, which is a version specifically designed for mobile devices.
Speaker 1: Now, a lot of people, myself included, tend to use virtualization running it in a VM. What are the pros and cons of that versus installing Collie directly on say, a dedicated laptop. What's the real trade off there?
Speaker 2: Virtualization is definitely an attractive option. It's cost effective, flexible, You can easily clone virtual machines if you need multiple testing copies, and the revert to snapshot feature is invaluable. If you mess up your testing machine break something poof, you just restore clean slate. Instantly modifying resources like RAM or CPU is also super easy.
Speaker 1: Okay, sounds great. What's the catch?
Speaker 2: The major drawback comes with processor intensive tasks think password cracking. Those tasks are significantly slower because of the virtualization overhead, and you simply can't fully leverage a dedicated GPU a graphics card for that kind of raw processing power inside a standard VM setup.
Speaker 1: So for serious number crunching, physical hardware still wins. But for most day to day practice and exploration, virtualization is probably fine.
Speaker 2: Absolutely for most tasks it's the way to go.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what are some of the essential tools packed into Collie that a pentester would use regularly?
Speaker 2: Right, let's touch on a few key categories. For content management systems, you know CMSs, like WordPress or joom Law, there are specialized scanners like what well, wp scan is a really fast WordPress vulnerability scanner. It's surprising how often organizations just leave default plugins and themes exposed. WP scan finds those instantly.
Speaker 1: Broadcasting their weak points essentially.
Speaker 2: Pretty much similarly, jim scan does the same thing for gymlesites.
Speaker 1: Got it? What about finding hidden files and directories? That seems like a really critical first step for.
Speaker 2: An attacker, definitely for that. Dirb is a command line tool. It uses dictionary files to discover hidden files and directories. Maybe old admin panels, backup files, things that shouldn't.
Speaker 1: Be accessible in Nikto, I've heard that name.
Speaker 2: Nikto is a longtime favorite. It's a really feature rich web server scanner. Checks for thousands of outdated software components, common configuration errors. It's like giving the web server a thorough digital health check.
Speaker 1: Okay, And for broader network scanning, maybe looking beyond just the web applications themselves, for.
Speaker 2: That network wide view. OpenVAS the Open Vulnerability Assessment Scanner is a powerful tool in Collinge.
Speaker 1: Right that used to be or part of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a free fork of what was once nessus. It's excellent for identifying a wide range of network side vulnerabilities, giving you that bigger picture of potential entry points. And these are just a few examples. The Colleague toolkit is vast.
Speaker 1: So speaking of practice, you mentioned those vulnerable environments for safe learning. Which ones are commonly used for training new pendesters? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Absolutely. The a wasp p Broken Web Applications Project or BWA is really crucial. It's a collection of intentionally vulnerable web applications all packaged up as a single virtual machine. Easy to set up them super easy, and it's perfect for hands on learning. It includes apps like Wacko, Pico and the Bodget Store, which simulate real world apps but with less obvious flaws, so they really force you to think like an attacker.
Speaker 1: Okay, any others?
Speaker 2: Another excellent one is hackazon. It's from Rapid seven, the folks who make metasploit.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: It simulates a modern online store using technologies like ajax and web services, and it has several security problems deliberately built right in great practice ground.
Speaker 1: So you've got your lab set up, your Collie machine ready, a safe environment to practice in. What's the very first thing an ethical hacker does when they start looking at a target.
Speaker 2: That brings us squarely into the art of gathering intel. We often call it reconnaissance or recon Now, while a malicious attacker might be chaotic, maybe opportunistic, a professional penetration tester always follows a structured approach.
Speaker 1: Right, there's a method, definitely.
Speaker 2: The typical sequence is meticulous information gathering first, then identification of vulnerabilities, often through scanning, and then finally exploitation. This structured way helps you find as many bugs as you can and importantly prepares you to write those valuable, comprehensive reports for the client.
Speaker 1: So reconnaissance is the foundation. What kind of information are they trying to dig up in this phase? What are the goals?
Speaker 2: The aims are pretty broad, actually identifying it addresses, domains, subdomains using tools like whois and DNS lookups, okay, gathering public information from regular search engines like Google and bing, but also specialized ones like Showdowan or even archives like the Internet Archive.
Speaker 1: Looking for clues anywhere they can find.
Speaker 2: Them exactly, Identifying key personnel maybe through LinkedIn using tools like Maltago. Even figuring out the physical location of servers using GOIP databases can be part of it.
Speaker 1: Gay, Let's unpack some of that you mentioned who is, How does looking up domain records actually give an attacker and edge seems pretty basic?
Speaker 2: Who is records are public databases. They reveal domain owner details, names, addresses, phone numbers, emails, the DNS servers being used. An attacker can use this info for highly targeted social engineering attacks or even for war driving driving around the registered address looking for unsecured Wi Fi.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And a really striking real world example was the New York Times attack back in twenty thirteen. Their DNS records were altered after a successful phishing attack against their domain reseller. It shows how powerful this seemingly mundane data can be.
Speaker 1: It really drives it home. Okay, what about DNS enumeration. How do they leverage that?
Speaker 2: Well? DNS servers often use something called zone transfer to sync their databases. Okay, if that's misconfigured, which happens, it can expose a complete list of IP host name pairs within a network, basically gives the attacker a map of the internal network structure.
Speaker 1: How do they try that?
Speaker 2: Tools like dig can be used to attempt a zone transfer. Other tools like dnascinum automate finding basic DNS records MX for mail, NS for name servers, A records for IPS, and can perform reverse lookups even brute force subdomains to reveal more of the target's infrastructure.
Speaker 1: So they're using search engines too, but not just for finding web pages, right, They're digging deeper exactly.
Speaker 2: General search engines like Google, Bing, Duck, dot coo. They allow these advanced search filters. People call them Google dorks.
Speaker 1: Google dorks. Yeah.
Speaker 2: They let an attacker find specific file types, maybe error messages containing sensitive info or specific text in URLs that might reveal misconfigurations. Offensive Security actually maintains a public Google hacking database full of these techniques.
Speaker 1: Okay, but then there's Showdan that sounds completely different, almost like sci fi.
Speaker 2: Showdan really is a different kind of search engine. It doesn't look for web content. It searches for devices connected to the Internet, devices like what like everything, industrial control systems, running power grids, CCTV cameras, baby monitors, routers, servers, you name it. And what's truly surprising, maybe shocking, is the sheer volume of unsecured devices it finds, often left with default passwords. It's like finding the digital blueprint of a city, including all its unlocked back doors, with just a search query.
Speaker 1: That's kind of terrifying. Are there tools that help automate gathering info from all these different sources? Yeah.
Speaker 2: The Harvester is a Collie tool that acts as a rapper. It queries various search engines to pull together emails, subdomains, virtual hosts, open ports related to a target, sort of aggregator exactly. And another powerful frame work is recon. It consolidates lots of information gathering modules like it can look up multiple domains hosted on a single SSL certificate or enumerate LinkedIn contacts associated with a target company.
Speaker 1: Okay, so once they'd gathered all this initial intelligence, the next phase is usually scanning, right actively probing the target to see what's actually running and where the potential doors are. Correct.
Speaker 2: The scanning phase is about identifying the operating system, the web server version, the underlying infrastructure, specific applications.
Speaker 1: Running, starting with open ports.
Speaker 2: Usually yes, finding open ports beyond the standard eighty for HTTP and four forty three for hdtps because other services might be exposed.
Speaker 1: And for port scanning, the most famous tool is probably end map.
Speaker 2: It's legendary enmap network map er. Yes, it's absolutely the most widely known port scanner and a cornerstone of reconnaissance and scanning. It's incredibly effective at finding open TCP and UDP ports, and it's constantly updated. By default, it just checks the top one thousand most common ports to speed things up.
Speaker 1: How does it actually figure out if a port is open? Are there different ways it connects? Maybe some sneakier than others.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there are different scan types. The most straightforward is the TCP connect scan. Using the NZST flag, it performs a full three way TCP handshake.
Speaker 1: Like a normal connection exactly.
Speaker 2: It's accurate, but it's also more likely to be logged at the target machine and slower.
Speaker 1: Okay, what's the stealthier option.
Speaker 2: That's the syn scan using SSS, often called a half open scan. It starts the handshake but does not complete the handshake.
Speaker 1: Ah, so it doesn't fully connect right.
Speaker 2: This makes it less likely to be logged by basic firewalls, but those initial syn packets can still definitely alert more advanced intrusion detection or prevention systems in IPS or IDs.
Speaker 1: And you mentioned saving results before, Why is that so critical for a pent tester?
Speaker 2: Oh, in a pentest, saving results is absolutely vital for organization, for building that final report and honestly as a backup if something goes wrong or a scan gets interrupted. And map lets use save results in different formats XML its own format, agrippable text format so you can easily parse and reuse that data later.
Speaker 1: So beyond just finding open ports, they're profiling the whole server setup. What kind of details that they're looking for?
Speaker 2: Then, yeah, exactly. Once you know the OS and the open ports, the next step is identifying the exact applications running is it apatche icojinc Serving web pages what web application frameworks are they using, PHP, dot Net, Java? What databases are behind it? Are there load balancers involved? Getting this level of detail is critical for picking the right potential exploits later on.
Speaker 1: How do they deal with situations where maybe multiple websites are sharing the same server. That seems like it could be confusing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's common. Many websites use name based virtual hosting, sharing one physical server and IP address. They're distinguished by the host header in the HTTP request that tells the server which specific site you're trying to reach.
Speaker 1: So how do they figure out what else is on that server?
Speaker 2: There are online tools like HTTP dot ipnables is one example that can help identify other websites hosted on the same IP. It helps reveal more of a target's overall digital footprint.
Speaker 1: And load balancers you mentioned them? Can those sometimes give away useful information too?
Speaker 2: They absolutely can. High traffic sites use load balancers to distribute requests and keep things available. Some cookie based load balancers put a cookie in your browser to keep you stuck to one specific back end server. Okay, Sometimes these cookies accidentally reveal critical server details, maybe encoded pool names or even internal IP addresses and ports of the back end servers things they really should not be doing. It's an often overlooked reconnaissance.
Speaker 1: Source fascinating little leaks of information. So what about figuring out the actual web application frameworks being used? Is that just guesswork? Oh?
Speaker 2: No, not at all. There are several clues pen testers look for. HTTP headers like the server header or maybe an xass net version header can directly reveal the tech stack. Okay, custom cookie set by frameworks like asp not netw or JSESSIOND for Java apps can also be giveaways. Even seemingly harmless comments left in the HTML source code can sometimes contain hints about the framework or libraries being used.
Speaker 1: And for automating the identification of these technologies, is there a quick Collie tool for that? What?
Speaker 2: Web scanner in Collie is excellent for this. It has over nine hundred plug ins to identify all sorts of web technologies, CMS platforms, analytics packages, javscript libraries, server versions. It gives you a quick, high level overview of the tech stact.
Speaker 1: Okay, so they've profiled the server, the frameworks. Now they start actively looking for misconfigurations and specific vulnerabilities.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's the next logical step analyzing the software and its configuration. Default settings are often a gold mine for vulnerabilities. Scanning tools help by crawling the entire website looking for interesting files, folders, configuration settings that might point to a weakness.
Speaker 1: How do they check things like what HTTP methods of server supports? Like can it accept a delete request when it really should?
Speaker 2: They can use tools like netcat with the options method to directly ask the server what methods it supports. Nmap can do this too. Beyond that, Metasplait has some really useful auxiliary modules like darlisting checks if directory browsing is enabled. Der Scanner looks for interesting directories or inm wayback queries the Internet archive for old regions of pages that might contain now on linked content or comments. These can reveal forgotten dev folders or old vulnerable scripts.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's shift focus slightly to HTTPS configuration obviously critical for protecting sensitive data.
Speaker 2: And transit absolutely critical. HTTP started as clear text right everything sent and ENCRYPTEDHGTPS HTTP over SSLTLS adds that encrypted channel. Now, technically SSL is deprecated and TLS currently TLS one point two or one point three is the standard, but many sites still support older weaker versions for backward compatibility, which can be a problem.
Speaker 1: And TLS provides that CIA triad right confidentiality.
Speaker 2: Confidentiality, integrity, and availability, yes, the core pillars of infosect. It also provides non repudiation through TLS certificates signed by certificate authorities or CAAs, meaning you can generally trust the identity of the survey you're talking to and they can't easily deny the communication happen. It builds trust.
Speaker 1: But I've heard about NL cipher's being a massive flaw here. That sounds like an oxymoron. An NL cipher in a secure connection.
Speaker 2: It's a really insidious flaw. If NL ciphers are enabled on the server and get chosen during the connection negotiation, your browser might still show that reassuring padlock icon, but the HDP data will actually be transmitted in cleartext, completely unencrypted. It's a total false sense of security leaving sensitive info wide open.
Speaker 1: Wow. So it's not just about having HTTPS, but having it configured correctly precisely.
Speaker 2: Tools like the open SSL command line utility ss scan, which can show the ciphers and certificate details, and sslies are essential for testing these configurations. N MAP also has scripts like SSL inomsideiers to identify supported cipher suites and flag known vulnerabilities like crime or poodle associated with weak configurations.
Speaker 1: Okay, what about spidering web applications? That's about mapping out the whole site structure exactly.
Speaker 2: Trying to do that manually, especially on a complex site, is just time consuming and prone to emissions. It's really inefficient.
Speaker 1: So automation definitely.
Speaker 2: College provides tools for this. BURP Spider, which is part of the popular burp suite, is well known and very effective. It automates mapping the entire application, and it can even handle login authentication to map out areas hidden behind a login page that a public spider would miss.
Speaker 1: And then there's directory brute forcing or forced brows. What's the idea there?
Speaker 2: That's about requesting files and directories that aren't directly linked anywhere in the application. You basically guess common names from.
Speaker 1: A dictionary file. Why do that?
Speaker 2: Because it can uncover hidden test environments, forgotten backup files, administrative pages, configuration files, things that were never meant to be public but might still be accessible if you guess the url DIRB and COLLI is a prime tool for this, it can scan recursively and even use session cookies if you need to be authenticated.
Speaker 1: Okay, we've covered the meticulous reconnaissance in scanning. Let's really unpack the actual vulnerabilities attackers exploit, starting with authentication and session management flaws. Why are these so incredibly common?
Speaker 2: Well, the core problem really lies in HTTP's statelessness. It's what now statelessness? Think of it like a forgetful waiter. Every time you make a request to a web server, it treats it as a brand new interaction, completely unrelated to.
Speaker 1: The last one.
Speaker 2: Ah, okay, no memory exactly. So this means we need session management mechanisms to track user activity, like knowing you're logged in without forcing you to reauthenticate with every single click.
Speaker 1: Right, So how does that work?
Speaker 2: Usually through things like unique session identifiers, maybe inactivity timeouts, session expiration times, and making sure sessions are invalidated when you explicitly log out.
Speaker 1: And what kinds of authentication methods are pen testers usually looking at? Well.
Speaker 2: While HTTP supports older methods like basic digest and NTLM, which are ways for browsers to send credentials, honestly, form based authentication is by far the most interesting for pen testers.
Speaker 1: Why that one?
Speaker 2: Because it's custom built for pretty much every application. There's no single standard. That means there are way more opportunities for developers to make mistakes leading to flawed implementations.
Speaker 1: Makes sense, more custom cold, more potential bugs exactly.
Speaker 2: Though increasingly you see things like two factor authentication MFA adding an extra layer of security and ooh for letting third party apps access resources without you actually sharing your password with them.
Speaker 1: So what are some of the most common flaws pen testers find in these authentication and session management processes? Where do things go wrong? Oh?
Speaker 2: A big one is username enumeration.
Speaker 1: What's that?
Speaker 2: This happens when an application gives away excessive information. Maybe it shows a different error message if you enter a valid user name with the wrong password compared to an invalid username.
Speaker 1: Ah, so the attacker can tell which user names are real just by the error message. Exactly.
Speaker 2: It allows an attacker to methodically build a list of valid usernames. We can see this demonstrated really effectively using tools like burp Suite against vulnerable practice apps like a wasp, plub cooat and.
Speaker 1: Weak passwords still a massive issue, I imagine.
Speaker 2: Oh, absolutely sadly, yes, the prevalence of weak passwords that you have things from those most used passwords lists like one, two, three, four, five, six, or password or quarity. It remains a huge problem.
Speaker 1: So how do pangesters approach testing that without getting locked out?
Speaker 2: Well? A good approach for conducting online attacks is to try maybe just a few common passwords per username, then pause, wait a bit, and try a few more. This helps avoid triggering account lockout mechanisms.
Speaker 1: What about password reset or recovery functions? Those often feel like a potential weak link.
Speaker 2: You're right, they often are. There's an important difference between recovery where you somehow get your old password back, which usually implies a major security flaw like storing it in.
Speaker 1: Clear text, which should never happen never.
Speaker 2: And reset where you set a new one. But the risks in reset functions include things like maybe being able to spoof the email or phone number where the reset link is sent, or finding predictable reset links that include something easily guessable or exploitable like a user ID.
Speaker 1: And predictable session IDs. How does an attacker leverage that? I assume they should be random.
Speaker 2: They absolutely need to be random and unpredictable if they aren't. Maybe they're based on sequential numbers or the time, or something easily guessable. An attacker can potentially hijack a valid user session just by predicting a valid ID. Tools like burp sequencer can analyze session IDs and show how easily a weak one like a cookie named wicked based on sequential numbers can be predicted.
Speaker 1: So how do we prevent all these issues you mentioned earlier? There's no single universal solution, no.
Speaker 2: No universal solution has been found, unfortunately, but there are key preventions. Enforcing strong password policies is fundamental, length, mixed case special characters, blocking common patterns or sequences always using TLS for login pages is non negotiable. To protect credentials in transit. Using generic error messages during login is crucial to prevent that user name enumeration. We talked about implementing brute force lockouts like maybe five failed attempts triggers A twenty thirty minute lockout helps slow down automated attacks. For password resets, sending one time expiring links to the user's registered email or SMS is best practice.
Speaker 1: And those session cookies themselves, how can they be hardened?
Speaker 2: Making sure all the security flags are set on session cookies is vital. The secure flag ensures the cookie is only ever sent over an HTTPS connection. HTTP only is critical. It prevents client side JavaScript from accessing the cookie. This massively mitigates the impact if an attacker does find an excess vulnerability, because they can't easily steal the session cookie. Point setting cookies as non persistent so they expire when the browser closes. Using expires or maxage attributes, restricting the path attributes so the cookies only sent where needed and using the same site attribute provides extra protection against cross site request forgery CSRF.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's move on to injection based flaws. This sounds like we're an attacker actively shoves malicious data into the application.
Speaker 2: That's the core idea. Yeah, the attacker finds an input field, search box, log in form, urlo, parameter, whatever, and injects malicious data. The goal is to trick the application into sending that bad data to some underlying component like a database or the command line or an XMEL parser, and make that component execute unintended actions.
Speaker 1: Can you give me an example. What's command injection?
Speaker 2: Okay? Command injection? Imagine a web page that lets you ping an IP address you enter one twenty seven dot zero zero dot one. But what if you enter one seven dot zero dot zero dot zero one hone email Anyway, that's a Linux command to show system information. If the application doesn't properly validate the input and just blindly passes it to the server's command line, it runs the extra command exactly. It executes NIEMA on the server. You might get a non interactive shell. You can run commands, see the output, but can't interact further. Or sometimes it's blind command injection where you don't see any output, so you have to rely on side effects like making the server pin your machine to confirm the injection work. The famous shell shock vulnerability a few years back was a huge example of this, where the bash shell itself.
Speaker 1: Was vulnerable right and SQL injection scooply. That's probably the most famous injection flaw. Hasn't it been around forever?
Speaker 2: Yes, Sequel injection squall is incredibly common and has certainly stood the test of time. The vulnerability happens when user input is concatenated directly into a SQL query without being properly validated or sanitized first.
Speaker 1: So the attacker's input becomes part of the database command precisely.
Speaker 2: This allows them to execute malicious SEQUL commands directly against the database, and it's crucial to remember the flaw is almost always in the web applications code that handles the input, not usually in the database server itself.
Speaker 1: How do pen testers actually test for that? How they poke it an input field to see if it's vulnerable.
Speaker 2: They often start by injecting characters like a single quote to see if it breaks the query and causes an error. Then they'll try injecting modified select statements, often using union queries.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Union lets you combine the results of two select queries, so an attacker can craft a query that returns the normal application data plus extra data they want, like database names, table names, column names, often by queering system tables like information schema in myseql or postgress. Wooll.
Speaker 1: What if the server doesn't conveniently spit back the data in an error message or on the page. Is that where blind cooming comes in again?
Speaker 2: Exactly? That's blind seql injection. Since the server doesn't directly reveal information, detection relies on observing more subtle responses. It could be booling based asking true false questions via injected query and seeing if the page content or response code changes slightly, like does the admin user name start with A? If yes, maybe the page looks normal. If no, maybe an.
Speaker 1: Error page loads.
Speaker 2: Okay, so it's inference right, Or it could be time based injection. You inject a command that tells the database to pause for say five seconds. If the web page takes five seconds longer to load than usual, you know your injection worked. It's much slower and more methodical, but still very effective.
Speaker 1: Are there tools to automate finding SQL because that sounds tedious? Oh?
Speaker 2: Absolutely. While there are specific tools like school Ninja for targeting Microsoft SQL server, often aiming for shell access, the undisputed champion is school Map.
Speaker 1: School Map heard of it.
Speaker 2: It's an incredible automatic sequel injection tool. It can detect the vulnerability, figure out the database type, exploit it to dump data, and in many cases even reader write files directly on the database server's operating system, or even gain a command shell. It's extremely powerful.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, what about other types of injections you mentioned? XMLI right?
Speaker 2: XML based injections often called XXe for XML External entity injection attackers manipulate XML's tag based structure. They can define these external entities that when the server processes the XML, cause it to fetch and include external resources.
Speaker 1: Like what kind of resources like.
Speaker 2: Local files on the server such as etcter passed on Linux, which contains user account info. Or they can make the server make outbound network connections, potentially hitting internal systems. It all depends on how the server's XML parser is configured.
Speaker 1: And now that no seple databases like Mongo dB are so popular, are there injection risks there too?
Speaker 2: Yes, definitely no SQL injections because no circle databases often use flexible query structures, sometimes based on JSON. Attackers can potentially bypass authentication checks or retrieve unauthorized data by manipulating the structure of the JSON request formats, leveraging how the database processes queries differently from traditional SQL.
Speaker 1: So it seems like the defense against all these different injections types comes back to the same core principle handling user inputs safely.
Speaker 2: You've absolutely hit the nail on the head. The primary defense is robust input validation and ideally using a whitelist as lightless meaning meaning you define exactly which characters are allowed for a given input field and you reject everything else by default. It's much safer than trying to guess all the.
Speaker 1: Bad characters blacklisting. Okay.
Speaker 2: Then there's sanitization, which involves carefully removing or modifying any potentially dangerous characters, and encoding, which converts special characters into their save representations, like converting into ANELT, so the browser just displays it instead of interpreting it as HTML.
Speaker 1: Where does this need to happen? Browser side? Server side?
Speaker 2: The absolutely crucial part is these processes must be done on both the client side and the server side. Client side validation is good for user experience quick feedback, but it can always be bypassed by an attacker. Server side validation is where the real security happens. You need both.
Speaker 1: Got it? Okay? Moving on to another huge category, site scripting or XSS. What is XSS exactly and why is it seemingly everywhere?
Speaker 2: XSS is a type of code injection where malicious script usually JavaScript, gets injected into a website, typically through user input, and is then executed by the victim's web browser.
Speaker 1: So the malicious code runs in my browser, not on the server exactly.
Speaker 2: It exploits the trust your browser has on the website you're visiting. It makes the web page load and execute scripts it wasn't supposed to all within the context of your session on that trusted site. That's why it's so pervasive and dangerous.
Speaker 1: How does an attack typically work? What's the flow?
Speaker 2: Okay, the typical workflow. An attacker finds a vulnerable parameter on a website, maybe a search query or a comment field. They craft a malicious URL or piece of content containing JavaScript. Then they trick a victim into clicking that URL or viewing.
Speaker 1: That content, often through phishing, I guess, very.
Speaker 2: Often through targeted fishing emails.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: When the victim clicks their browser requests the page, the vulnerable application includes the attacker script in the response, and the victim's browser executes it thinking it's legitimate code from the website. Attackers often use URL shortening services to hide the long, odd looking script and make the link look less suspicious.
Speaker 1: You mentioned different types reflected stored, dom based. Yeah, what's the key difference between them? Good question.
Speaker 2: Reflected exss is where the injected script is immediately reflected back to the user from the server, maybe in a search result page or an error message. It only affects the user who clicks the specific malicious link stored persistent EXSS is generally considered more dangerous. Here, the malicious script is actually stored in the server's database, maybe in a forum post, a product review, a user profile.
Speaker 1: Ah So anyone who've used that page gets hit exactly.
Speaker 2: It affects a large number of users automatically, without needing to target each one individually. This is often how website defacement happens via EXSS.
Speaker 1: And DOM based. That sounds different.
Speaker 2: Dom based EXSS is unique because the vulnerability isn't really on the server side. The malicious script gets executed purely because of how legitimate client side code JavaScript already on the page handles user supplied input, often from a URL fragment hashtag, and uses it to dynamically update the web page's document object model or DOM. The server might never even see the malicious script.
Speaker 1: Can excess has happen with post requests too, not just get requests where the script is in the URL.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, XSS via post method is possible. The script would be in the body of the post request. It's a bit harder for the attacker to deliver, usually requiring them to get the victim to visit a malicious page that automatically submits the harmful post request to the vulnerable site.
Speaker 1: So, once an attacker successfully triggers an EXSS vulnerability, what can they actually do with it? What's the impact?
Speaker 2: The possibilities are pretty alarming because the script runs with the permissions of the website and the victim's browser. They can perform cookie stealing, reading the victim's session cookies and sending them to the attack.
Speaker 1: If they're not HGTP only right.
Speaker 2: Exactly If the hpp only flag isn't set on the cookie, JavaScript can read it. If it is set, This attack is much harder, though not always impossible.
Speaker 1: Depending on other factors. What else?
Speaker 2: They can turn the victim's browser into a key logger, capturing everything they type into forms on that page, passwords, credit card numbers. They can use frameworks like the Browser Exploitation framework beef.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Beef lets an attacker hook a victims browser. Once hooked, they have a command and control channel to the browser, allowing them to launch further attacks, use it as a proxy, explore the internal network. It's incredibly powerful, and of course, simpler things like defacement just visually altering the web page content.
Speaker 1: Is there an automated tool specifically for finding XSS flaws?
Speaker 2: Yes, xsor is a well known automatic EXSS scanner in Collie that can help identify potential EXSS points by injecting various payloads and analyzing the server's responses.
Speaker 1: So, given how versatile XSS is, how do we prevent it effectively?
Speaker 2: Again, it comes back to handling user inputs securely. Input validation is the first line of defense. Sanitization, removing dangerous characters and output encoding converting special characters before displaying them back to the user are absolutely key aspects.
Speaker 1: Encoding on output that's important.
Speaker 2: Critically important. You encode data right before it gets inserted into the htmnel page. And to reiterate that crucial point, validations, sanitization, and encoding processes must be done on both the client side and the server side. Relying only on client side checks is insecure.
Speaker 1: Okay, Let's move to cross site request forgery or CSRF. This one always sounds particularly sneaky because it involves someone who's already logged in.
Speaker 2: It is sneaky. CSRF is about forcing an authenticated, logged in user to submit a malicious request without their knowledge or consent. The attacker crafts a request, maybe embedded in an image pack or a link, that performs an action on a site where the user is logged in, like changing their email address, transferring funds a message.
Speaker 1: How does that work?
Speaker 2: The attacker leverages the fact that the user's browser will automatically include any relevant session cookies when making a request to that site. So if you're logged into your bank and you unknowingly trigger a malicious request crafted by an attacker, maybe by visiting their dodgy website, your browser sends the request with your valid banking session cookie and the bank thinks you initiated the action.
Speaker 1: Yikes. How do you identify if an application is vulnerable to CSRF? What's the telltale sign?
Speaker 2: You look for? State changing actions like submitting a form, clicking a button that does something that don't include any special header or form parameter that's unique and unpredictable for that specific user session. If the request relies only on the session cookie for authentication and authorization, it's likely vulnerable. The Perugia vulnerable app example where submitting a comment only needed the session cookie is a classic case.
Speaker 1: And how is it exploited? Is it easier with geet you requests like in a URL or post requests like form data.
Speaker 2: Exploiting it with geek requests is often simpler. Just embedding the malicious URL in an image tag mmgsrc, on another side, is enough. For post requests, it's a bit more involved. The attacker usually needs to create a hidden HTML form on their malicious page that automatically submits the harmful data to the target site when the victim visits.
Speaker 1: Now, can an EXSS vulnerability be used to bypass CSRF protections? That sounds like a nasty combination.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's a very common and dangerous scenario. If an application uses anti CSRF tokens unique secret values in forms to prevent CSRF, but is also vulnerable to EXSS.
Speaker 1: The attacker can use EXSS to steal the token exactly.
Speaker 2: The attacker uses the EXSS vulnerability to run JavaScript that reads the anti CSRF token from the page's form, and then they can craft a valid request with the stolen token completely bypassing the CSRF protection. It shows how vulnerabilities often chain together.
Speaker 1: So what's the prevention for CSRF? How do you start it?
Speaker 2: The primary defense is implementing anti CSRF tokens These are unique, unpredictable secret values generated by the so for each user session and embedded informs. The server validates this token on every state changing request. The same site cookie attribute, especially set to strict or lacks, provides significant protection by controlling when cookies are sent with cross origin requests, though browser support and implementation details matter. Requiring user interaction for sensitive actions like entering a captcha or reauthenticating with a password is also effective, and properly configured cross origin resource sharing CRS policies on the server can help restrict how JavaScript from other origins interacts with the site.
Speaker 1: All right, onto our last major vulnerability category, attacking flaws and cryptographic implementations. This sounds really complex, like breaking codes.
Speaker 2: It definitely sounds that way. The goal of cryptography here is, of course, protecting data confidentiality and integrity, But for pentesters the focus usually isn't on trying to break strong established cryptographic algorithms like AES or SAHA two fifty six. That's generally mathematically infeasible with current tech.
Speaker 1: So what are they looking for?
Speaker 2: They're looking for implementation failures using the right algorithm but in the wrong way, and perhaps more commonly seriously flawed custom implementations. Developers sometimes think they can invent their own secure.
Speaker 1: Encryption, which is a bad idea, a.
Speaker 2: Really bad idea. Strong algorithms are designed and rigorously tested by highly specialized teams of mathematicians and computer scientists. It's not something you should roll your own unless you are one of those experts.
Speaker 1: What are the basics of encryption we need to grasp here?
Speaker 2: Okay, briefly. With symmetric algorithms, the same secret key is used for both encryption and decryption. You have stream ciphers, which encrypt data bit by bit or byte by byte. Good for streaming ciphertext is the same size as the clear text, and block ciphers, which encrypt fixed sized blocks of data that the ciphertext is usually a multiple.
Speaker 1: Of the block size. Right and hash.
Speaker 2: Hashing functions take an input of any size and produce a fixed length value the hash er digest. Their main purpose is ensuring the integrity of the message. Any tiny change in the input results in a drastically different hash. They should also be non reversible. You can't get the original input back from the hash, and it should be computationally impossible to find two different inputs that produce the same hash a collision.
Speaker 1: And thels SSL in web apps brings us all together pretty much.
Speaker 2: Https is the everyday application of TLSSSL to secure client server communication. As we said, TLS provides that CIA triad confidentiality, integrity, availability, plus non repudiation via certificate signed by CAAs verifying the server's identity. The actual process cleverly combines both asymmetric public private key encryption for the initial secure key exchange and then faster symmetric encryption using that exchange key for the bulk data transfer.
Speaker 1: And that critical flaw the nl cipher pops up here again, that false sense of security.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's worth repeating. If n CEL ciphers are enabled and get negotiated, the browser might show the padlock, but HTTP data will actually be transmitted in cleartext. Looks secure, but isn't like a locked door made of glass.
Speaker 1: What tools help pentesters scrutinize these ssltls configurations.
Speaker 2: The open SSL command line tool is fundamental for manual checks. SSL scan is great. It can show cipher's certificate details and crucially it helps you watch out when NSL is pointed out in the cipher list. Sslies is another powerful dedicated SSLTLS scanner, and NMP again has scripts like SSL enom ciphers to identify cipher suites, rate their strength, and flag specific protocol vulnerabilities like crime or poodle.
Speaker 1: Speaking of those, what about exploiting well known crypto flaws like heart bleed or poodle that caused such panics?
Speaker 2: Yeah, those were big ones. Heart Bleed back in April twenty fourteen, was a devastating buffer over red situation in the open SSL TLS implementation. Basically due to a missing bounds check in the heartbeat extension, an attacker could request more data back from the server than they sent, and the server would accidentally return extra chunks of its own.
Speaker 1: Memory, including potentially sensitive data.
Speaker 2: Including potentially sensitive data like private keys, session cookies, passwords, all in clear text read directly from the server's memory without needing to decrypt anything. Metasploit quickly got an.
Speaker 1: Explorit module for it and poodle.
Speaker 2: Poodle padding oracle On downgraded legacy encryption specifically exploited a weakness in how SSLv three handled blocks cipher padding, combined with the fact that browsers could be tricked into downgrading the connection from TLS to the much older, insecure SSLv three. If a server still allowed SSLv three connections, it was vulnerable. In practice, executing the full poodle attack was complex, but simply allowing SSLv three was a bad sign. Attackers often found it easier just to use SSL stripping to force plan HTTP.
Speaker 1: Anyway, you mentioned developers rolling their own crypto being a huge risk. Why is that so dangerous?
Speaker 2: It's dangerous because custom encryption protocols are almost invariably weak. Developers might think, oh, only I know the algorithm, so it must be secure. That security through obscurity, and it never works.
Speaker 1: Long term because real crypto is.
Speaker 2: Hard, incredibly hard. Common mistakes involve simple techniques like basic xor operations, simple character substitution, or just scrambling the data order. All of these are easily breakable with standard cryptanalysis techniques taught in introductory courses.
Speaker 1: And where the keys are stored must be another massive failure. Points.
Speaker 2: Huge one key storage flaws are rife encryption keys stored in totally unsafe places, maybe in downloadable configuration files, hard coded directly in application source code, or even embedded in client side jobscript where anyone can see them.
Speaker 1: Yikes.
Speaker 2: Also just using outdated algorithms things like DEES encryption or using MBFI for password hashing, especially for passwords under sy ten characters. Modern CPUs and especially GPUs can crack these relatively easily, sometimes in minutes or hours, using readily available tools.
Speaker 1: So if a pin tester finds some data that looks encrypted or hashed, how do they figure out what it is and maybe try to break it?
Speaker 2: Well, if the out put is always the same fixed length regardless of the input size, it's almost certainly a hash. There's a Collie tool called hash identifier that can help guess the hash type based on common patterns and links.
Speaker 1: Okay, what about telling encrypted data apart from just say random binary data?
Speaker 2: Frequency analysis is a very useful way to tell if a set of data is encrypted, encoded, or obfuscated. Properly, encrypted data should have a very similar frequency for every character from zero to two fifty five. The byte distribution looks almost random, very flat. Clear text, on the other hand, has very uneven distributions. Think how often E appears in English text compared to Z. Entropy analysis also helps it measures randomness. Ideally, a strong encryption algorithm should produce ciphertext with entropy values very close to eight for eight bits per bitte, indicating high randomness. Lower entropy might suggest weak encryption or just obfuscation.
Speaker 1: And if they identify a hash, what tools do they use to try and crack it offline back on their own machine.
Speaker 2: Two mainstays and Collie are John the Ripper and Hashcat. John jtr is pre installed, it's a classic. It can often auto detect hash types, run powerful dictionary attacks using massive word lists like the famous Rocky list compiled from real world breaches, apply mangling rules to dictionary words, and perform brute force.
Speaker 1: Attacks in hashcat.
Speaker 2: Hashcat is a more modern, highly optimized cracking tool designed to leverage the power of GPUs graphics cards as well as CPUs for brute forcing or complex dictionary attacks. It can be orders of magnitude faster than a CPU only tool like John, assuming you have a decent GPU.
Speaker 1: So bottom line, how do we prevent these cryptographic flaws in our applications?
Speaker 2: First, always use secure standard protocols like TLS and configure them correctly. Use things like HTTP Strict Transport Security HSTS headers to tell browsers to only connect via htps, preventing SSL strip.
Speaker 1: Attacks and password storage.
Speaker 2: Passwords must never be stored in clear text. Ever, use modern one way salted hash fundnctions. Good choices currently include PBKDF two be crypt or script, often combined with a strong hash like SAHA five twelve. The salting part adding a unique random value to each password before hashing, is critical to defeat rainbow table attacks. Using older hashes like MD five or SAJA one for passwords is now strongly discouraged due to known weaknesses and collision vulnerabilities.
Speaker 1: Okay, we've covered a ton on finding vulnerabilities. Now let's shift to the hacker's arsenal, starting with automated scanners in practice. What's their real role in a pen test? Are they the magic bullet?
Speaker 2: Automated scanners definitely have a role. They're good for quick scans, for finding that low hanging fruit, the obvious common vulnerabilities, but they are absolutely not a magic bullet, far from it.
Speaker 1: What are the big caveats?
Speaker 2: Several critical considerations. First, always always check the scope and project documentation to make sure you even have permission to use automated scanners. Some clients forbid them or restrict their use. Second, ideally test only in a QA development or testing environment. Never run an aggressive automated scanner against a live production system without explicit written consent, because there's an inherent risk of damaging the data or causing downtime.
Speaker 1: Makes sense anything else.
Speaker 2: Keep the scanners, plugins and vulnerability definitions updated, Configure it for the maximum level of logging so you have evidence, and critically, do not leave the scanner unattended. You need to monitor what it's doing.
Speaker 1: And the most important thing to remember about relying.
Speaker 2: On them, the absolute most important thing is do not rely on a single tool. Use multiple scanners if possible, but most importantly, always manually validate findings. Automated scans are notorious for false positives, and they often fail to provide any value without that crucial manual verification and interpretation by an experienced.
Speaker 1: Tester, which CALI. Linux scanners are commonly used for web applications. Besides nikto which we mentioned well.
Speaker 2: There's skipfish, which is known for being fast and generating nice HTML reports that categorize vulnerabilities by risk level. Where PD is another command line scanner that detects variety of flies like xss, uculi, file inclusions, etc. And the WASP d app proxy includes an active vulnerability scanner component that sends specifically crafted requests to probe for vulnerabilities.
Speaker 1: Whatout fuzzing. That sounds a bit like just throwing random stuff at an application.
Speaker 2: It is essentially, but in a structured way. Fuzzing involves sending large amounts of unexpected, malformed or semi malformed data to an application's inputs to see if you can trigger crashes, errors, or uncover hidden vulnerabilities.
Speaker 1: How do tools help with that?
Speaker 2: Tools like the o waspps app fuzzer let you select specific insertion points in an HTTP request parts you want to replace with fuzzed data, like from a list of common attack strings or just random data. Then you analyze the responses, maybe looking for error messages or specific keywords like reflected, which might indicate potential EXSS. Burb Intruder is also extremely powerful for fuzzing and dictionary attacks, trying thousands of usernames and passwords on a login page, or testing for SQL injection by setting up rules repmatch to flag interesting server responses.
Speaker 1: Okay, now for the really big gun, the Metasplit framework. It is often called the pintester's Swiss army knife. Right.
Speaker 2: It absolutely is metasplit is huge. Its power comes from its modular architecture. Everything exploits payloads and coders, auxiliary modules for scanning or reconnaissance. They're all individual modules. This makes it incredibly flexible and easy to extend with new capabilities.
Speaker 1: How easy is set up in calling very easy.
Speaker 2: It's usually pre installed or a quick install. The important setup step is initializing its postgresscool database. Metasploit uses this database to store all the information you gather about hosts, services, vulnerabilities, credentials. Using workspaces within the database is also key for staying organized. It lets use separate data sets for different penetration tests or different parts of a network.
Speaker 1: And how does it integrate with the scanning and info gathering we already talked to.
Speaker 2: Metasploid itself has a vast array of auxiliary modules for information gathering and scanning. For passive recon there are modules to query dns, scrape subdomains from search engines like Yahoo and bing search, showdan if you have an apikey to find devices and open ports, or collect email addresses associated with a domain from search engines.
Speaker 1: So it could do its own recon yes and.
Speaker 2: For active scanning, it has its own TCP port scanner and syn port scanner modules. But even better, it integrates directly with nmap. You can run enmap scans using the dbn met command and the results are automatically imported and stored right in metasploids database. This is incredibly useful. You can leverage enmap's powerful enmap scripting engine NSC scripts maybe to find specific HTTP vulnerabilities like servers allowing dangerous methods UQT delete trace, and have all that data ready in metasploit for the next steps.
Speaker 1: So it's not just a collection of exploits, but a full framework that manages the whole process, including the data. What about discovering hosts and services beyond web stuff?
Speaker 2: Definitely? Metasploit has modules like ARP sweep to find live hosts on the local network segment a UDP service. Sweeper can probe for common UDP services like net biosportmap, SMMP, DNS for SMB server, message block and numeration on Windows networks. It's very powerful. Modules like seminom shares find accessible network shares, spend and aversion gets detailed OS info Somedenom users can sometimes list local users via the SAM RPC interface. That's the Security Account Manager database where Windows keeps user credentials.
Speaker 1: Can it brute force logins.
Speaker 2: Yep, some log in can brute force SMB passwords and crucially, as we mentioned, the summess WEE TA ten module can detect the critical Eternal Blue vulnerability and check for the double Pulsar back door without needing any valid credentials.
Speaker 1: That was huge massive. What about SNMP The Network Management Protocol For.
Speaker 2: SNMP Simple Network Management Protocol Enumeration metasploid has some log in to try common default community strings like passwords for SMMP. If successful, sempenem can gather a wealth of information system details, network interfaces, running processes, open ports, installed software depending on how the devices configured.
Speaker 1: Okay, and other protocols.
Speaker 2: It also has modules for scanning things like HTTT services for example Jenkin sentum to check genkin ci service status or Windows Remote Management when RM using win RMCMD and importantly metasplit can directly integrate with and import scan results from commercial vulnerability scanners like nessis or nexpos, as well as the open source open bas This lets you consolidate all your vulnerability data in one place.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you've gatted all this information identified potential vulnerabilities. The next big leap is server side exploitation. This is where the actual hacking part happens, right. That's right.
Speaker 2: After meticulously gathering intel about the target OS, the running services, and potential vulnerabilities, the next step is finding a suitable exploit module in metasploit and the launching it.
Speaker 1: Can you walk us through an example? Maybe on Linux? Sure?
Speaker 2: A classic example often used on the Metasploitable two vulnerable practice VM, involves exploiting the Samba service. There is a specific metasport module exploit multi sambasser mapscript. This exploit cleverly leverages a flaw in how Samba handled usernames, allowing for remote command execution without any authentication.
Speaker 1: No password needed, none at all.
Speaker 2: You just point the exploit at the target, run it, and if successful, metasploit connects back, giving you a command shell on the Linux server. You can then verify access by running simple commands like host name or ID to see who you are on the compromised machine.
Speaker 1: You keep mentioning payloads when you talk about exploits, What exactly is the payload?
Speaker 2: The payload is the piece of code that the exploit delivers to the target machine after the vulnerability has been successfully exploited, it's what actually gives you control. For example, after using the Samba exploit, you might choose a payload like cimnikus reverse netcat or more commonly Linux eighty six Mesori reverse x. This payload connects back from the victim machine to your metasplay listener, establishing that remote access session.
Speaker 1: Okay. And Windows server exploitation similar.
Speaker 2: Ideas, similar concepts yes on the metasploitable three VM which runs Windows. Examples might include exploiting vulnerabilities in jenkin Ci if it's running, or using the sexc module if you somehow manage to obtain valid administrator credentials.
Speaker 1: But the really big one for Windows was Eternal.
Speaker 2: Blue, absolutely the MS seventeen zero ten Eternal Blue SMB Remote Windows Kernel pool corruption vulnerability. This was a critical buffer overflow flaw in the Windows SMB one server. It was allegedly developed by the NSA's Equation group, leaked by the Shadow Brokers group, and then infamously use as the primary spreading mechanism for the global Wanacry ransomware attack in twenty seventeen it allowed unauthenticated remote code execution on a massive scale.
Speaker 1: Just devastating. And once an attacker gets in, how they make sure they can get back in later.
Speaker 2: A key post exploitation step is installing backdoors or setting up other persistence mechanisms. This ensures they can maintain access even if the initial vulnerability it gets patched or the system reboots, and.
Speaker 1: They also just try to break things. Yeah, denial of service.
Speaker 2: Yes, they can perform denial of service. Thus attacks this might involve flooding a service with traffic to overload it, or exploiting a specific vulnerability that causes the service or the entire system to crash or become unresponsive. An example mentioned in the source is Smblorus, a remote and uncredential doss attack against Microsoft Windows that exploited a flaw in the SMB protocol to consume excessive memory, potentially crashing the system.
Speaker 1: Okay, now let's talk about Interpreter. This always comes up when talking about Metasploid. It's described as the post exploitation powerhouse. What makes it so special.
Speaker 2: Interpreter is essentially Metasploid's advanced feature rich payload. It gets loaded into the memory of the compromise machine and provides an incredibly flexible and extensible command shell, allowing automation of many post exploitation tasks. It's largely replaced older, less dynamic methods. Its real power is its ability to run into hirely in memory, often avoiding writing files to disc making it stealthier.
Speaker 1: Give me some examples. What kind of things can you do once you have a interpreter session? Oh a lot.
Speaker 2: It has a whole suite of built in commands. Basic system commands like get tuids see what user you're running as, get tupid, get the process id PS, list running processes, sink and FOE, get OS details alls some stuff. Full filesystem commands dot, LCDPWD like Linux upload download files between your machine and the victim, edit files directly, cat file contents. You have extensive control.
Speaker 1: Can it interact with the user's desktop or peripherals.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's where it gets really powerful for surveillance. UI interaction commands like screenshot to grab the desktop, keyscan start, keyscan stop keyscin dump for keylog and capturing keystrokes. Even webcam snap to take pictures from the webcam if available.
Speaker 1: WHOA, What about escalating privileges or dumping credentials.
Speaker 2: Absolutely key tasks for privileged escalation and data dumping. Interpreter has the get system command, which tries various techniques to escalate to the system user on Windows highest privileged level. Hash dump attempts to extract the password hashes from the SAM database and crucially, it integrates mimicat's functionality.
Speaker 1: Mimicats is famous for credential dumping right exactly.
Speaker 2: A materpreter can load mimicats directly into memory to extract plaintext, passwords, corberos tickets, and password hashes directly from the memory of processes like LSAs dot ex. It often needs to migrate into that lsaas dot ex process first. It can also try to bypasswhack user account control on Windows.
Speaker 1: And maintaining persistence getting back in later.
Speaker 2: Interpreters can help with persistence. Commands like get gee can enable remote desktop access. There are also specific metasplit post exploitation modules for setting up more robust backdoors like installment MIC backdoor.
Speaker 1: What about networking from the compromise machine.
Speaker 2: Crucial for moving laterally. Networking commands like ipconfig and route help you understand the victim machines network configuration date allows you to set up port forwarding, relaying traffic through the victim machine. This is essential for pivoting.
Speaker 1: Pivoting.
Speaker 2: Pivoting is using the initially compromised machine as a foothold to attack other machines on the same internal network that you can't root directly. Interpreter is excellent for this, allowing you to add routes so you can scan and attack internal systems through your Materpreter session.
Speaker 1: Can it sniff network traffic passing through the compromised host.
Speaker 2: Yes, it has packet sniffing capabilities, sniffer interfaces, lists network interfaces, sniffer start, sniffer stops, sniffer dump let you capture traffic on the victim machine and save it as a pcap file for later analysis with tools like wireshark or TCP dump.
Speaker 1: Credential harvesting too, Yes, there.
Speaker 2: Are modules like post Windows gatherfish Windows credentials that can pop up fake login prompts to try and trick users into entering their credentials.
Speaker 1: Wow, and just general enumeration. Once you're insight.
Speaker 2: Lots of that. Post exploitation modules like wineum can gather huge amounts of information installed applications, network shares, user accounts policies. The Gathering Suite module can scan the local network for other live hosts.
Speaker 1: You mentioned routing traffic through this session for pivoting. How did that work with other tools?
Speaker 2: Materpreter's post multimanage out or root module automatically adds the necessary routes in metasplit. Then you can use Metasplate's auxiliary service SoCs for a module to set up metasplate itself as a soocks proxy server. Now you can configure other tools on your own attack machine, like enmap or a web browser to use this proxy, often via a tool called proxy chains. This routes their traffic through the Materpreter session, allowing you scan and interact with the victim's internal network as if you were sitting on the compromise machine.
Speaker 1: That's incredibly powerful. Can you automate some of these post exploitation steps.
Speaker 2: Yes, you can use the autoorunscript option in metasploit to automatically run a Materpreter script like scraper, dot orb or winum as soon as a session is established, automating that initial information gathering.
Speaker 1: And how does materpreter try to keep its connection alive. If say the network drops.
Speaker 2: Briefly it uses transports, you can add backup transports using transport ad maybe setting up a reverse TTP or reverse TTPs transport alongside the initial TCP connection. These use standard webports and protocols, which are often less likely to be blocked by firewalls and can help maintain the session if the primary connection fails.
Speaker 1: Okay. One last tool in the metasploit arsenal MSF venom. What's his specific job?
Speaker 2: Msf venom is Metasploit's standalone payload generator and encoder. Its job is to create the actual malicious files or scripts that you'll deliver to the victim, perhaps via exploit or maybe through social engineering.
Speaker 1: She used to build the interpreter payload.
Speaker 2: For example, exactly use msfvenom to generate payloads for various operating systems Windows, Linux, Android, mac os architectures by eighty six, by sixty four ARM and formats ex files, DLLs, shell code scripts. It also incorporates powerful encoders.
Speaker 1: Wiringcoder is so important.
Speaker 2: Encoders are crucial for evading antivirus software where and bypassing and organization's defenses. They work by obfuscating the payloads code, changing its signature so that basic anti virus scanners might not recognize it as malicious. Metasploit includes several enquoders, like the polymorphic chicatagan i encoder. However, av products are constantly updated, so standard encoders often get detected quickly. Pen testers frequently need to use custom encoding techniques or combiningcoders to improve evasion.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've spent a lot of time on server side exploits and the powerful tools used there. But you mentioned earlier that the landscape is shifting and often the most successful attacks now target the human element and client side systems. Why is that becoming the new frontier?
Speaker 2: Well, partly because server side security has gotten better. Generally speaking, companies spend more on securing servers, but endpoints laptops, desktops, mobile devices, they're often less consistently patched, running more diverse software, and critically, they're operated by humans who can be tricked.
Speaker 1: So the user is the weak link.
Speaker 2: Yes, this makes client machines a softer target. Attackers realize that tricking a user into running malware can often bypass even sophisticated network perameter defenses entirely, the most successful attacks target endpoints.
Speaker 1: How does reconnaissance work when you're targeting clients specifically? How do attackers' profile potential victims?
Speaker 2: Metasploit has modules for this too, like Auxiliary Gather Browser info. If an attacker can get a user to visit a web page they control, this module can fingerprint the victim's browser OS, install plugins like flash, Java, and check JavaScript support. This intel helps them choose the most effective client site exploit.
Speaker 1: And bypassing antivirus on the client machine, how do they get their malicious payloads past endpoint security?
Speaker 2: Again, this often comes down to antivirus idea of sifts bypass using custom payloads and encoders generated with MSF, Venom or other tools. Standard, well known payloads generated by metasploit are likely to get caught by modern av so attackers need to modify them, you sophisticated and curing or packing techniques, or even write completely custom malware to evade detection. It's that constant cat and mouse game.
Speaker 1: What are some specific client side attack techniques that really leverage this human element or software flaws on the client?
Speaker 2: Oh, there are many metasploit macro exploits are common malicious VBA macros embedded in office documents, word excel. If the victim enables macros enable content, the macro executes and can download and run a payload.
Speaker 1: Right those scary yellow warning bars and office exactly.
Speaker 2: Then there are human interface device HID attacks. These use USB devices like the keen c Usb hid or similar tools that pretend to be a keyboard or mouse when plugged in.
Speaker 1: So the computer just trusts it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The device can then rapidly type commands to download and execute malware, often faster than a human could react, completely bypassing software based security controls because it looks like legitimate user input.
Speaker 1: Wow, what else?
Speaker 2: The HTML application HTA attack is quite effective against Windows users. Dot HGA files are basically HTML files that run with higher privileges capable of executing scripting languages like VBScript or JScript. Metasploits. HTA webserver module hosts some malicious HTA file. If an attacker tricks a user into downloading and running it, it will prompt the user for confirmation. But because the underlying MGAHG process is a legitimate sign Microsoft Windows application, many users will trust it and will allow it to run, giving the attacker code execution.
Speaker 1: That's incredibly deceptive, playing on trust in legitimate Windows components. What about backdooring legitimate software as someone downloads it.
Speaker 2: That's possible via Man in the middle MIKM attacks often on insecure networks like public Wi Fi. Using frameworks like MITMF man in the middle framework, which often requires ARP poisoning to intercept traffic, an attacker can intercept unencrypted downloads. They can then patch some executables like maybe notepad, dot exc or putty dot ex on the fly as the victim downloads them.
Speaker 1: So the victim gets a file that looks and maybe even works like the real.
Speaker 2: Thing exactly, but it's been secretly backdoored in transit to include the attacker's payload. They run the seemingly legitimate program and the backdoor executes. Attackers can also craft mobile exploits, using m's venom to create malicious Linux trojans or Android backdoors packaged as dot appk files usually delivered via social engineering. For example, fake app stores phishing links.
Speaker 1: So it really seems like many, if not most, of these successful client side attacks ultimately rely on exploiting human trust or maybe just a lack of awareness, which brings us to the Social Engineer Toolkit s set.
Speaker 2: You're absolutely right, the human element is often the easiest path in the Social Engineer Toolkit. SSET, created by Dave Kennedy, is an incredibly powerful open source penetration testing framework specifically designed to perform advanced attacks against the human element. It's a standard tool for simulating sophisticated phishing and other social engineering campaigns during a pen test.
Speaker 1: What kinds of attack vectors does set automate or make easier?
Speaker 2: It streamlines several key social engineering attacks. It's great for spearfishing campaigns, sending highly malicious emails to target specific users, often with options to spoof the sender's email address to make it look legitimate. Its web attack vectors are very popular. For instance, the HTA attack method within set can automatically clone a legitimate website like a company portal or a popular service to create a more credible pretext for delivering a malicious payload when the user interacts with the fake.
Speaker 1: Site, combining website cloning with payload delivery clever very.
Speaker 2: It also offers a multi attack web method that combines several different browser exploits and attack techniques under a single malicious link when the victim clicks set tries them one by one unless a successful attack is launched, increasing the chances of compromising different browser or plug in versions. It also includes an infectious media generator for creating malicious USB drives or other files designed to execute payloads when open.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, we have taking an absolute whirlwind tour through the complex world of penetration testing.
Speaker 2: We certainly have from understanding why it's so fundamentally crucial in our web centric world to really digging into the sophisticated tools and techniques that ethical hackers employ.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we explored setting up your own practice lab with Collie Linux, the meticulous art of gathering intelligence, the nitty gritty of exploiting all sorts of vulnerabilities.
Speaker 2: Right from sequel injections and cross sites scripting right up to exploiting major flaws like eternal blue, and then even how attackers manipulate that human element with social engineering.
Speaker 1: This deep dive. The aim was really to give you a shortcut to being truly well informed on this topic, packed with hopefully some surprising facts and practical insights that go way beyond the typical headlines.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it's a complex field, but understanding the attackers' perspective is key to building better defenses.
Speaker 1: So here's a final thought. As digital defenses continue to evolve, and they are evolving rapidly, that human element often remains the weakest link. Considering everything we've unpacked today, all the techniques, the psychology, what surprising ways might you personally be susceptible to the very techniques designed to test these systems. Something to mull over until our next deep dive.