Speaker 1: Get value.
Speaker 2: You can't argue with at Tesco with their amazing club card prices. Serve up something special with our finest meal deal for two stirring one main, two sides and dessert for only sixteen euro like succulent board, be approved Irish eying the strip loin steaks with pepper corn butter or delicious Firish chicken Parmesana served with creamy potato grit term and her mix of rainbow root vegetables and enjoy Goozillionaire or Salder caramel cheesecake. Can't argue with that shop in store or online.
Speaker 1: Tesco.
Speaker 2: Every little helps available the most Doores prices very in express.
Speaker 3: You're on the bus an hour from home in bumper to bumper traffic, creeping forward a few inches at a time, someone's kids are screaming, and suddenly your back is too. Luckily, Panadal extra film coated tablets are boosted by caffeine and they get to work in as little as ten minutes for powerful relief. That's more than just paracetamol. That's one for Pana doll speed based on absorption data contains paracetamol. Always read the label or leaflet.
Speaker 1: Oh hey, it's the half a cookie you forgot you saved from lunch ally ward, and we're here with asmologies episode. If you don't know what somologies is. Smologies are shorter, kid friendly episodes that we have cut together and put out parental requests for some cleaner versions that they can listen to with the whole fam So these are for smologites for the small people in your life, or if you've just got to listen to something shorter with a wide audience who doesn't want to hear me swearing. Okay, this episode is great. I loved it. Let's get right into it. Molecular biology so molecule comes from the Latin for mass or moles or extremely minute particle, and biology, of course, is the study of life. So molecular biology is the study of the little, itty, bitty, squiggly intricate structures that keep us alive and breathing and finding off illnesses and falling in love and digesting a pisa. So molecular biology is how molecules interact with each other to form life processes and how proteins do a lot of our dirty work. This ologist has been an assistant professor of biology and a Stem College coordinator for high school students, has worked in a private lab researching cancer cures, and has done a ted X talk and been recognized by Fortunes forty under forty Now. I have been a fan of hers for quite a while, so we hopped on a call to talk about what a molecular biologist does, the grossest parts of her lab work, protein folding, DNA strands, and more with science communicator and molecular biologist, doctor Raven the Science Maven Baxter. Knowlogies, ALOGI pology.
Speaker 4: Knowledge is Raven Baxter and my pronouns are she her.
Speaker 1: You're not the only Raven Baxter that people may have heard of. Such a good.
Speaker 4: Name, you know, and I loved having it until the Disney Channel came in and just decided they were going to do do their own thing.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of people think of you as Raven the Science Maven Like a lot of times, I don't even think about you having a last name. I just think of you as Raven the Science may Ben. Have you always been kind of science minded?
Speaker 4: Absolutely? Quite often I would find that I just get drawn to the natural environment and looking at the clouds or digging in the dirt things that kids do, you know, But I was very I feel like I engaged in scientific inquiry from a very young age. When I went to college, I had tried different majors out and as I transitioned in my academic journey, found genetics and was so thrilled to learn that our bodies are so cool that they speak their own language, which is the genetic code. And I'm sitting in this class like, oh my gosh, you know, none of my friends are in this class. They have to they have to learn about this. This is so cool. Our bodies are speaking a language, and and like we're the only ones that are taking a class on it, right, So like, not only did I think it was super cool, but I wanted to share that with everyone that I knew. But I just went down that rabbit hole of genetics and molecular biology and I never came out. So the language is our DNA, the genetic code, and it is a sequence of nucleotides that contain instructions for proteins. Yes, and those proteins are doing the work inside of ourselves to generate our life processes. So the way that I like to see it is just a scale bound version of how cities work, where you have the mayor, you know, and he's at city hall, and that's that's off than like the central point of a city. And the mayor has like his staff that he talks to and you know, he tells so and so to do this, and then they go do that. So it tells another person to do another thing, and they go do that job. And everything that happens out from city hall affects the entire city. And that's how I think about molecular biology. It's a super simplified version of it. And where your DNA is, the mayor and the mayor's staff are like proteins that are carrying out different functions.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's amazing. They look, from what I've seen, kind of like gift wrap. Right, are there a lot of spirals happening? What are these proteins shaped like?
Speaker 4: Ah, that's hilarious. So proteins. Proteins are really interesting. They have different shapes and sizes. They fold into these different shapes that determine their functions. But they don't start folded.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's back up a little.
Speaker 4: We can just start from the beginning. Right, we have our DNA, which is inside of our nucleus, and it's very neatly packaged in the nucleus, and it gets read by other proteins right inside of your nucleus into a different code called RNA, which is almost the same as DNA, but it uses a slightly different code. And then the RNA is read by proteins called polymerases, and the polymerases then translate the information from your RNA to create a protein. As the protein's being made, it's basically like a spaghetti noodle as it comes out of this polymerase, and then as it's coming out, it folds into these different shapes. But the two basic shapes are beta sheets, which kind of look like a brick of ramen noodles, or alpha helices, which are those curly pieces that look like, I don't know, RIGATONI actually don't know, is RIGATONI even the curly one? Oh no, it's few, silly, few silly, Okay, you're.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, So then they're in those two different beta or alpha helix shapes, and then what do they do from there?
Speaker 4: From there, all of these shapes and structures are determined by the protein's amino acid composition, and so depending on the composition of the protein itself, it'll fold and shape into different levels of protein folding. So there's primary structure, secondary structure, tertiary structure, and quaternary structure.
Speaker 1: And those different proteins, the complicated ones or the simpler ones, are they bouncing around in our bloodstream to send messages or are they packaged to form different organelles and different organs like what happens to those curly folded, very specific proteins.
Speaker 4: I mean, they do so many different things. Where do we even start. They get packaged in the golgi apparatus and shipped out to different parts of the cells. One place where they can go is they can get packaged out in a vesicle, which is basically just a little you can call it, maybe like a little fat bubble, you know. The proteins can get packaged into vesicles and sent to the cell membrane where they can release proteins out into the extracellular environment or present the proteins onto the cell surface.
Speaker 1: Okay, so right now, no matter what you're doing, there are tiny proteins cruising around your cytosol, which is the ooze that makes up the cytoplasm in your cells, and a gold gee apparatus is sorting some of them and just popping them into fat envelopes. And you just have no idea how hard they're working in trillions of tiny factories, just attaching labels to things and passing chemical notes back and forth like two teenage lovers in an after school detention.
Speaker 4: So cells use molecules to communicate, for example, there are certain cell pathways that cause cancer, or there's certain cell pathways that we can study to risk, to understand, like cellular responses to immunity, things like that.
Speaker 1: And now you have worked in cancer research, You've worked around big vats of E. Coli. You have done some really awesome work. What was it like studying this, getting your masters and then studying this on a corporate level? What types of things were you looking at? How does the molecular biologist do their work. Do you need like the most gargantuan microscopes to look at these curly cue proteins out?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you do really Okay. The kind of work that I was doing looked a lot different. Almost on a weekly basis or monthly basis. I was doing cell transfections, which is a fancy word for running experiments to insert DNA into cells, or I was doing crisper projects, or I was trying to generate a new cell line that expresses a particular protein that we're interested in, or isolating DNA from bacteria by the gallons, which is why I had to make, you know, basically gallons of poop, like you just said, because I was using E. Coli as an expression post for the DNA and had to get the DNA out of them. And it was really interesting, you know. I was working with different types of cell lines, breast cancer cell lines, skin cancer cell lines, and even neuronal cell lines, which is really cool. I did some work on trying to understand or find the best drugs to treat Parkinson's disease or brain diseases like Alzheimer's as well, and that involves some really interesting and fun work using neuronal cells.
Speaker 1: Neuronal cells side note, are types of neurons in the brain. And now, when we think of a neuron, you might picture like a kind of hand at the end of a long arm that has a bulbous other end, or maybe it looks like a tree, hence the word dendrite from its root tree. But some research estimates there may be up to a thousand different types of the cells in our nervous system, depending on their structure and function or location. So okay, what my point is, our brains don't know everything about our brains, and studying our brains with our brains requires machines devised by our brains to study themselves, which is creepy and also not cheap.
Speaker 4: The equipment that we use can is often very expensive. I had the pleasure of working with a super cool machine called the Perkin Elmer Opera I think it's.
Speaker 1: Called introducing the Opera Phoenix high Content screening system from Perkin Elmer. For the speed and sensitivity you need no compromise.
Speaker 4: It was super cool because it's a high content screening system. So we were able to test hundreds and thousands of drug compounds on different cell lines to find out, you know, what drugs work the best against a certain type of cancer, and then we would formulate the drug.
Speaker 1: And so you're just like low key care and cancer when you go into work. So how it gets done, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the very beginning part of it. Like when you talk about clinical trials, that's where it starts with the molecular biologists trying to find what drugs you should even be looking at in the first place.
Speaker 1: I have so many questions from patrons. Can I just lob some at you? Ooh yes, okay, But before we pepper her with curiosities, we will of course donate to a cause of the ologists choosing. And Raven said she didn't have a preference, She just like the money to go to whomever needs it. And as it happened, our mutual buddy Hank Green's Project for Awesome happened to be at the final couple of seconds as they reached the two million dollar mark, so we made a donation in Raven's name. Project for Awesome is a project of the Foundation to decrease World Suck, and you can learn more about them at projectfoawesome dot com. And that donation was made possible by sponsors of the show, whom I shall now yammer about very briefly.
Speaker 2: Get value you can't argue with at Tesco with their amazing cloak card prices. Have the perfect night in with their finest frozen pizza meal deal. Get the finest frozen pizza, chips and ice cream all for six euro Like our delicious spicy salami, hot honey, and do you or Margarito wood fired pizzas served up with their crispy chunkie chips and ice cream like sea salta caramel or pistatio for dessert. Can't argue with that shop in store or online tesco. Every little helps available in most stories, Prices varying. Express.
Speaker 3: You're on the bus an hour from home, in bumper to bumper traffic, creeping forward a few inches at a time, someone's kids are screaming, and suddenly your back is too. Luckily, Panadal extra film coated tablets are boosted by caffeine and they get to work in as little as ten minutes for powerful relief. That's more than just paracetamol. That's one for Pana doll speed based on absorption data contains paracetamol. Always read the label or leaflet.
Speaker 5: Bantoma got boga the hatanir, the hola, the Cayman he call ah ers, where as lance la Dani detained nudovshu willarhu la hula shomparod and lance is phaser lat Gan's throw Tasha tapa seraanashka aga is FuGO more h i a punk ie is called on tudoros or raslanse if we real this Naharan.
Speaker 1: Okay, you had questions for raven. A lot of folks had questions, including Brendan Butler and Ashley Emmanuel. Is the mitochondria actually the powerhouse of the cell? What is the mitochondria doing?
Speaker 4: So yeah, it definitely is the mitochandria of you eu carriotic cells, meaning not bacteria basically, And what mitochondria do is they break down sugars and turn them into energy.
Speaker 1: It's almost like something that breaks down gasoline in our car.
Speaker 4: Honestly, yeah, it's pretty much.
Speaker 1: Okay, I look this up and wouldn't you know it. Molecular biology happens to be a little bit more complicated than a Honda Civic engine, but still mitochondria do sort of burn our food fuel and produce a source of energy. This whole process is called oxidative phosphorylation, and it does require oxygen, just like a combustion engine. Also, there can be a bunch of mitochondria shoved into one cell. Your hard working heart muscles right now are really jam packed with mitochondria. So, yes, mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell. It is useful information to know if you're into breathing and being alive and stuff. Now, as long as we are gossiping about spiral structures, let's get into the heroic helix, shall we. Keanu Spinelli asks, I was told several times when I was younger that there were six plus feet of a DNA strand in just one cell. Is this true or is that flim flam?
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh. So I don't know the exact answer to this, but I would not be surprised because DNA is super coiled inside of your nucleus. I mean, it's it doesn't just hang out in there like spaghetti. It's wrapped around itself. It's wrapped around things called his stones, and it's very tightly and neatly packaged inside of your nucleus. So I wouldn't be surprised if you stretched it all out that it did that it did end up being six feet or six and a half feet.
Speaker 1: Okay, I was so curious. I had to double check this, and geneticist doctor Barry Starr does confirm that it's about six feet or two meters of DNA strands inside each cell, and then he calculated that each human being has around ten billion miles of DNA in them, meaning that your DNA, your DNA right now, just as you're sitting here eating pirate's booty or whatever, your DNA could stretch to the sun and back. Sucks. What you beautiful freak, You just living pooping work of magic, all of us. A few people asked about motor proteins. Honey wants to know. Can you tell us about motor proteins? How the heck do they work?
Speaker 4: They carry cargo, basically the cargo that are containing molecules, proteins, whatever it could be. Anything it could be. They could be carrying organelles. They can carry different structures within the cell. They can move chromosomes. They're just they're working hard. Okay, they're working hard, and they move in particular ways. Think of this as a highway, and one end of the highway is a negative side and the other side is positive. Dining walks towards the negative end, and they're carrying their cargo from the peripheral side of the cell to the center of the cell. And then Keynesen is like Dinine's sister, and they are walking in the opposite direction. So they're walking towards the positive side, and they carry their cargo from the center of the cell to the periphery of the cell. So in order to move their little feet they use ATP, which is the energy currency of the cell, which comes from the mitochondria. So now we've come full circle back to the mitochondria. They're going so fast.
Speaker 1: John Sanson has a question about where did DNA even come from, Like how did random bits of atoms and molecules know to build themselves into proteins and then assemble into DNA strands which now tell other things to build other DNA strands.
Speaker 4: This is something that I think about too much and it freaks me out. My brain is melting. But that's look great. That's a question about the origin of life because all living organisms on Earth use DNA to generate their life process, and we don't necessarily know exactly how this all started, and this will be a question that we're we are likely trying to answer for many many years to come. But I love thinking about it because of all the possibilities.
Speaker 1: So for years, the hypothesis has been that DNA started with the simpler single strand RNA, but in the past decade or so, other scientists are just begging to differ and say that DNA, which kind of has a trickier sugar molecule as well as that double helix shape, could have arisen at the same time. It's even possible that a hybrid RNA DNA molecule first arose and then split off into two forms. Who's to know? If you have a time machine, let us know now. One thing we are sure about is that these replicated codes have been encased in cellular goo and structures for billions of years, billions with a b okay a few people, Katrina NuGen, Adele Mison, Vie Francis, Davis Bourne, epigenetics, what's going on? How does it change DNA expression and pass it on to the next generation? Katrina ask will my children have my same weird quirks and habits?
Speaker 4: This is really interesting and something that I wish I had spent more time on when I was on my genetics cake. But epigenetics, it's a part of molecular bio that's looking at heredity, but not heredity that's caused by actual alterations in DNA itself. Right, the DNA has a code, and that set of code again codes for proteins and protein products. But epigenetics it's like they are changes on the DNA, like literally on it. But it's really cool. It's a different way of looking at heredity.
Speaker 1: So for a very very quick primer on epigenetics, your DNA is a big old long code, kind of like a recipe or an ingredients list, and that double helix is like a big old long scroll, just meters of it right in each cell. So how does a cell with all the instructions for all the other cells know to be a heart cell or groamy one, bristly mustache hair, or line my guts. So certain genes are turned on or off by signals or even protein according to the function of the cell. But the proteins can also turn on and off other expressions of the cell in response to environmental factors and then replicate from there, and that is called your epigenome. Now, speaking of hearts, many patrons wanted to know what was closest to Ravens and Katie matt Sicado, Earl of Gramulkin, Kathleen Sachs, Ira Gray, and Ashley Emmanuel all had favorite questions essentially favorite type of cell or protein or organelle or nitrogenous base, just normal questions you'd ask, really any celeb. George Powell wants to note, what's your favorite protein?
Speaker 4: Oh, you know what, that's a really good question. I personally am fascinated by how people name proteins. There is a protein called the pokemon protein.
Speaker 3: What.
Speaker 4: Yeah, There's a protein called sonic hedgehog, which is actually a critical involved in human development. And there's a Nemo one. There's a Cannon Barbie protein. There's scramble ace, which is an enzyme that scrambles fosphil lipids between the inside and the outside of this a cell membrane. There's pikachuran protein. There's spock one that's in zebrafish and it causes the fish to develop like pointy ears like spock.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, I mean earl of Gramblekin asked do you have a favorite protein or protein name? And I had no idea why. They asked about the name. Who gets to name these?
Speaker 4: The scientists that discover them get to name them?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, a lot of animation fans apparently.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I mean they these these are they're really funny.
Speaker 1: And what about the thing you love the most about what you do?
Speaker 4: I truly love building community, and I think that because I am who I am, I tend to build communities that are very diverse because I show a lot of different sides of myself that I feel like people from different walks of life and different backgrounds can relate to. And I try to be very transparent about who I am and what I'm interested in and what I'm passionate about, so that people who even aren't in science can latch onto something about a scientist that they see and maybe be more willing to listen and learn about science because they do relate. And I also love bringing these communities together in conversations about important things and watching people in my community learn from each other and teach each other. That's probably the best thing that I enjoy about what I do.
Speaker 1: So ask smart man's very simple, shameless questions. Because you only live once, and maybe your molecules may get rebuilt and refolded into proteins and become a frog. But why not learn while you're a person? So to follow or see Raven's videos or ted Talk, you can head to her website simevn dot com or find her on Instagram at raven Thescience. Maven or on Twitter at Ravensimevan. Those links plus links to her YouTube and her videos will be up also at aliwar dot com slash ologies slash Molecular Biology. You can follow me if you like on Instagram and Twitter. I'm at Aliward with one L on both. We're also at ologies on Twitter and Instagram. Also linked is aliward dot com slashsmologies, which has dozens more kids safe and shorter episodes you can blaze through and thank you Mercedes Maitland of Maitland Audio and Shared Sleeper of mindgm Media for editing those, as well as Zeke Rodriguez Thomas and says we like to keep things small around here. The rest of the credits are in the show notes and at the end of the episode, I give you a piece of advice, and this piece of advice is if you're not sure what to read, ask your friends or ask your parents or elders what books they liked reading. There are books that I never would have picked up unless I had asked, Hey, you guys like any books slightly? And then I got really great recommendations for books that I ended up loving. So sometimes you'll get out of your comfort zone a little bit. And you'll read something and learn something that you never knew that you liked. So yeah, ask for opinions from other people. You don't have to take all of the opinions, but sometimes it's nice to jump into someone else's head and see what they like reading. Okay, until next time, smologize, pervide knowledge, poling algy anology.
Speaker 2: Knowledgies get value you can't argue with. I'll Tesco with their amazing club card prices. Have the perfect night in with our finest frozen pizza meal deal. Get the finest frozen pizza, chips and ice cream all for six euro. Like our delicious spicy salami, hot honey and Doya or Margarito wood fired pizzas, served up with their crispy, chunky chips and ice cream like sea salta caramel or pistachio for dessert.
Speaker 1: Can't argue with that? Shop in store or online. Tesco.
Speaker 2: Every Little helps available in most stores, Prices varying. Express