Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Hey Shannon, Hey Gary. I actually have to disagree with Shannon this time. I feel like he genuinely sounded happy when he was talking about the Dodgers going to the World Series. Usually when he's reporting the scores or talking about the Dodgers in general, he sounds pretty miserable.
Speaker 3: So props for that. I can acknowledge when it's when it's okay, it's okay.
Speaker 1: Your voice to me, I feel like I know your emotions through your voice, and.
Speaker 4: To me, you hate this.
Speaker 1: You hate any sort of success that the Dodgers have, And that's okay. That's what it's called being a true fan, right right, my dad, I say it all the time. I learned to swear growing up with my father watching Giants Dodgers games and the things that he would say about Tommy Lesorda, I mean, very colorful, very creative.
Speaker 4: But that's what being a fan is all about. You should just own it. You hate the Dodgers in the World Series.
Speaker 1: The fact that is the Dodgers Yankees too to bought and sold for teams.
Speaker 3: But I also acknowledge that I want to I mean, I want to watch it. I'm sure you do.
Speaker 1: You love baseball, but that's wanting to watch it and hating them is okay.
Speaker 4: Both things can be true.
Speaker 3: A couple quick things before we get into our pch store.
Speaker 5: Her name is Kamala Harris, not she, did you say? You guys have been doing this for the past two or three weeks. You can't say her name. You hate her so much. You can say Trump all day long, even President Trump. Because that you cannot say Kamala Harris. Stop saying she.
Speaker 3: That to me is one of those examples of people here what they want to hear.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that's true, but I'll be cognizant of it. I haven't noticed us doing that. I feel like I say Kamala all the time. I don't say Kamala Harris, and I did notice that I don't ever say Kamala Harris. But I also don't say Donald Trump. I call him Trump, and I call her a Kamala.
Speaker 4: And I think that.
Speaker 1: That's like an advantage for Kamala Harris that people refer to her in her first name only.
Speaker 3: Is that a Hillary hangover. I mean that in a serious question, like just we're using the first name for the women and we're not using I didn't.
Speaker 4: Do that with Nicki Haley. We called her Nicki Haley.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think it's pretty damn cool if you can go by one name, look at Cher, look at Madonna.
Speaker 3: Well that's intentional that they go by one name.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but when your first name Carrie, you know exactly who you're talking about, that's pretty good.
Speaker 3: We last week saw the memorial for the four Pepperdine students who were killed on PCH. Sixty one people have been killed along that stretch of highway in recent years. The tragic deaths of Nima Ralston, Peyton Stewart, Asha Weir, and Deslin Williams brought the number of fatal to sixty one in just the last fifteen years, and there is a push to try to do something to increase the safety along PCH. As a result of that.
Speaker 1: So CHP officers were added to enforcement efforts off le Vague, The governor approved speed cameras, Caltrans expedited road improvements, a city launched a public safety campaign, But people say that is not enough. Damien Kevitt is a member of the Local Coalition Fixed pch founder of the nonprofit Streets Are for Everyone.
Speaker 4: He said, dead Man's Curve.
Speaker 1: There where those four students were run down, is the area where it's most dense. It's the highest number of pedestrian, cyclist, people, tourists, and there's a high degree of homes commercial area where there shouldn't be a speed limit of forty five miles an hour.
Speaker 4: Slow it down.
Speaker 3: According to the report from the Malibu Lost Hills Station for the La County Sheriff's Department, law enforcement issued twice as many speeding tickets this year as they did last year at this point, but it only made a difference in one crash. There was only one fewer crash at the halfway point of twenty four compared to twenty twenty three. Most of those crashes, of course, speed related, so there's a short term win. Governor Gavenusom did sign Senate Bill twelve ninety seven into law puts Malibu in a pilot program that would allow them to install up to five automated cameras to detect and find speeding drivers. So are you sing?
Speaker 4: The national anthem is on.
Speaker 3: Is this a practice or is it on tape?
Speaker 4: It's a practice, and every time they do it.
Speaker 1: They practice it about nine hundred times before the game, all day, and I stand up each and every time.
Speaker 3: I'm standing too. Do you know who it is that's singing?
Speaker 4: It's a one two three.
Speaker 1: Well, there's like six students up on this stage, but there's just the one girl singing. They look young. A couple sections are actually filled with what appeared to be high school students. I don't know who these people are. I don't know what the purpose is. Oh, it's the Arizona Department of Education. It's like this is like a union boondoggle.
Speaker 3: Take the day off, Let's let her finish strong.
Speaker 1: Oh right, we don't really need to do this. It's gonna happen like sixteen times during the show.
Speaker 3: Well, maybe we do it every time. I should have laughed that loud.
Speaker 6: Here you go, all right, as soon as my family here's this.
Speaker 3: Don't know exactly who I am.
Speaker 6: Arnold Palmer, honored Palmer, that's right, Arnold Palmer.
Speaker 3: What you say close, Honold Palmer.
Speaker 4: It's awful, it's together. Yeah, you know you have to eat, Yes, you have to pause, you have to pause, it's awful. Okay. So there's all these narratives out there, right.
Speaker 1: Yahoo Finance did an article about millennials and how they're doing financially. If you listen to all the narratives, you think that these people are struggling with student debt, the wages aren't high enough, inflation, high expenses, you can't afford to live anywhere.
Speaker 4: However, millennials, people.
Speaker 1: Born between nineteen eighty one and ninety six, they say now, are on average wealthier than their parents were at the same age. And to me, the reason is glaring. It is obvious, and it is the fact that they're not having children. Our parents had kids in their twenties, like you know what I mean. Like back then, you know, Millennials' parents were making babies in their in their earning years, things were very thin. And millennials are waiting till they're late thirties to have kids, and so they're making more money quicker because they don't have that expense and that burden's and that joy, that's the joy.
Speaker 3: Don't forget the joy. That is definitely part of it. Although I don't think of my life now, granted, if I look back at the twenty five years that I've been a parent. I know I've spent money on them, but I don't And part of why, or part of why I don't accept that entirely, is because I'm blind to it. I don't understand how much money I have spent on my own kids. And I'll acknowledge that.
Speaker 4: But there's ay, it's also childcare.
Speaker 1: You know, you had a household where your wife was able to stay home, right, childcare is a huge expense. I mean from my friends that have kids, I mean it's insane. Yeah, thousands and thousands of dollars a year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that's what I mean is I don't know. I would not be able to separate out what I paid for twenty five years of kids, Like I just it's hard for me to wrap my head around or even begin to figure out how I would buy How I would you know, do the book keeping on that to figure out how much I spent on kids, you know, Christmas gifts and that sort of stuff. That would be easier, but not.
Speaker 1: Just what you spent on kids. It's did your job? Can you grow your career when you have kids? A lot of the answer is no.
Speaker 3: There did I buy a two bedroom house or a one bedroom you know, apartment or something like that. I mean, all of that stuff goes into it, so it's hard to pull it apart. But they also said an analysis from the Saint Louis fed early this year, millennials and older members of gen Z have about twenty five percent more wealth than previous generations did at the same age. So for older millennials, for example, born in the eighties, the median household net worth rose to one hundred and thirty thousand in twenty twenty two. The median wealth more than quadrupled to forty one thousand for those that were born in the nineties. And they talk about stocks, mutual funds have all played a big role in all of this, but also employees made larger contributions to the retirement accounts earlier in their careers. And when you figure that part of it out, four oh one k's specifically that type of government approved tax deferred, but employee benefited or employee paid for those weren't even legalized again I think until the late seventies. So that would make sense that you and I grew up in a time when everyone was expected to have a four oh one k everybody. When you go in and apply for a job, one of the perks that they're going to offer you is a four to oh one K.
Speaker 1: Well, they say, still millennials feel uneasy that they're calling it phantom wealth. The concept of phantom wealth. There's a psychological disconnect between having wealth on paper and feeling financially secure, like real estate retirement account. They don't really see them, it doesn't really feel real. They're not easily assessed or spent in the short term. So that's why millennials feel uneasy. I say, no, it's because they're anxious. It's because they're not having kids and they have no concern other than themselves, and that's why they feel uneasy.
Speaker 3: That's like, I like that theory. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean it's true when you have something to take care of, you forget about yourself pretty quickly, and any sort of anxiety or uncomfortability you may be feeling, you have to take care of something else. And if you're not having those kids and you're just in the world of yourself, in your own head, and you're making money, but you're still uneasy and there's people around you screaming, is it anxiety?
Speaker 4: That's what the effect is going to.
Speaker 3: Be well, and to combine kind of both of those points they go The Wall Street Journal goes so far as to say, it's not clear if millennials are are better off. I mean, yes, they may have more money, more wealth, even phantom wealth, but that the cost of living, healthcare, childcare, like you mentioned, all of that stuff is higher now than it was even thirty years ago, So all possibility.
Speaker 1: I mean, I spent like six minutes figuring out what lipstick color I was going to wear today if I had a kid. Do you think I'd spend that kind of time you spraying about it?
Speaker 3: Six minutes and that's the color you chose. Now, nobody gets that joke. Only you do, because I can't even see you, I know. The lawsuit against Didty, this one was the one that was filed by a music producer, Rodney Jones. In the lawsuit, it says that it was required all employees, from the butler, the chef to the housekeepers walk around with a pouch or a fanny pack filled with cocaine, GHB, ecstasy, marijuana, gummies and tucci.
Speaker 4: This pink lock all these people up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, you have to have a job and put food on the table. But there are options other than walking around with fanny packs full of date rape drugs for men to rape people that have been trafficked into a ditty mansion. There are so many people, This network was so vast around him, so many people looking the other way for the almighty dollar.
Speaker 3: It's weird. It's weird that we continue to see so many people caught up in all of this without having ever done anything we told you about. Obviously, November fifth is upcoming election day, fifteen days away. As of last Monday, candidate for La County DA, Nathan Hofkman, has raised more than ten million dollars in campaign donations. George Gascone ten percent of that. He has just over one million, compared to four years ago at this time when he was well over ten I think he's over twelve million at this time. Everybody. The whatever support system George Gascone had four years ago has absolutely crumbled under his feet.
Speaker 1: We told you Friday during the Nuggets out the complete power outage outage of the entire island nation of Cuba. Well, now you can mix in a hurricane Oscar Category one hurricane made landfall in eastern Cuba last night amid a power blackout.
Speaker 3: Boy, this is looking bad. The electrical grid collapse for the fourth time in forty eight hours. The government in Cuba has been trying to restore power to these residents who have already suffered from food shortages, medicine shortages, fuel shortages. Whatever they're doing there in Cuba, communism is not working. Apparently, they canceled school. I read today that they canceled another day. So the school has been canceled through Thursday, which is a pretty rare move in Cuba, apparently because of the hurricane, because of the ongoing energy crisis, and they've said that only essential government workers should show up to work today. The I don't even know where you begin. The power crisis has existed in Cuba for a long time and now they're still trying to get the lights back on. They did restore power, they said, to about a fifth of the ten million people, but the national grid collapse twice in twenty four hours. Then the hurricane comes on, it collapses two more times. Friday afternoon, the largest power plant in Cuba on Cuba in Cuba shut down and the grid collapsed once again. On Saturday morning. They say they are making progress and restoring power, but every time they get two steps forward, they take three steps back.
Speaker 1: Will you mix in major flash flooding, mud slides, rock slides, there there is an inability to respond to those with no power, obviously. I mean that's a humanitarian crisis.
Speaker 4: Period.
Speaker 3: There's one thing to be said about life in the Caribbean like this, where I guess you could say it's thankful that it's not a cold weather a cold weather area where they're not having power. I mean, if you remember the in Texas when the power went out in that February cold snap that they had and people were literally freezing in their homes. This is very uncomfortable, but it's not as life threatening. I mean, heat obviously brings with it its own dangers, but it's less likely that someone in Cuba's going to die from heat exposure than somebody, weirdly in Texas was going to die from cold. But it is not getting easier. There are a couple stories anecdotes from people about having to line up to buy bread from bakeries that are cooking baking their bread the old fashioned way, as opposed to gas ovens or even electric ovens. They're using just the old wood fire and cold fired stoves that they've got. The failure of that plant was just the latest of a series of problems with energy distribution where it's already been. They already restrict when you can get electricity. They rotate, you know, four hours on here and then turn it off and turn it on for four hours in another part of the island. Invite, you know, just and on and on.
Speaker 1: I have an update from the stadium. That was a real national anthem, because that was an event for local area schools. The Department of Education put it on. It was kind of like a kind.
Speaker 4: Of a pep talk.
Speaker 1: About going through high school and things like that, and so it was kind of like an assembly in the stadium, and so that was there. That was not a rehearsal of the national anthem. That was a real assembly national anthem. So I'm glad that we all paid it the respect that it's show. It's so deserved.
Speaker 3: Most of the respect it deserved most. I mean we were standing, but I.
Speaker 4: We were kind of you have your hand on your heart?
Speaker 3: No, is that a requirement?
Speaker 4: I think?
Speaker 3: So? I mean I'll take if I was wearing a hat, I would take my hat off and I would hold it. But I I don't know if it's a requirement for me to put my hand over my head heart during the nationally.
Speaker 4: I love the country of America.
Speaker 3: No, no, I'm not saying it is is tradition, But I don't know if.
Speaker 4: If you want to go live in Canada, go live in Canada.
Speaker 3: If I'm saying the pledge of allegiance, yes, I put my hand over my heart and say the Pledge of allegiance. But I don't know at least there. Hey, you have all of the streaming services, right, I mean, for the most part.
Speaker 4: I'm embarrassed to say probably.
Speaker 3: Yes, You've got the Netflixes and the Amazons and things like that. Here's a new I would argue, a lower tiered streaming service you might want to sign up for next week, next month. Sorry. Chick fil A is planning to launch a new app with animated shows, podcast games, recipes and ebooks.
Speaker 4: Will it be about God?
Speaker 3: No, It'll be about Chicken.
Speaker 4: I'm pretty sure God's going to be weaved in there.
Speaker 3: Last year. Last year, Chick fil A held the spot of the third biggest US restaurant chain by sales. The only two restaurant chains bigger than Chick fil A money wise, Starbucks and McDonald's, despite the fact that they don't have I don't know, sixty percent of the location fifty percent of the locations that Starbucks and McDonald's have. So they've been selling all kinds of branded merchandise. They have a sleeping bag now that you can buy that resembles their sandwich packaging. They created a spin off brand.
Speaker 1: But it's going to be a lot of family friendly Christian programming. I'm reading on the Christianpost dot com.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can sign up for it.
Speaker 4: Not really my thing.
Speaker 3: Okay, just don't say no right away.
Speaker 1: And the other thing is, if you're watching Chick fil A streaming, what are you thinking about the entire time?
Speaker 3: Well, now that's the point of it. That's what everything's going to be brought to you by Chick fil A Sauce or something like that. Oh my goodness, all right, CBS finally listened to the show. They finally admitted that they edited the Kamala Harris interview, but then didn't release the transcript. How does this statement make any sense unless you release a transcript.
Speaker 7: Good morning Gary, Good morning Shannon. Ay, this is Frank again, you're bad ass truck driver. Hey, I'm so tired right here about them Dodgers me being a Mets fan. Yeah, it's okay. You don't want to know why. You guess my backup keeen is the Yankees, So let's go Yankees. That's right, And Shannon, sorry about them. Forty nine and I've lost up there in San Francisco by hey a, you know, better luck next week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're not gonna have better luck next week. That is a broken team. I mean, in more ways than one. The aura that the forty nine ers had. And this is why it makes such a big This is why when you get to the super Bowl, when you get that, it's hard to reach the super Bowl.
Speaker 4: It's impossible.
Speaker 1: When you get there, you have to capitalize, especially if you're there twice within five years. You gotta get it done when you reach that pinnacle because it is hard to keep a team intact. And forty nine ers are injured, they're broken, the spirits broken. Jerry Rice said, if that was back when I played, we would have been taking shots at each other on the sideline. The chemistry is off. The Chiefs are the ugliest undefeated team. I've ever seen. And I'm not saying that because I'm sore over losing to them in the Super Bowl and the Chargers losing to them so often. It's because they are not fun to watch. They are sloppy, they're slow, they're struggling, and they're still undefeated. The best team in football and that's what you got. Come on, I mean, Vikings are much more fun to watch. The Ravings are much more fun to watch. Sorry, what were we talking about?
Speaker 4: Lost time?
Speaker 3: It's going to go.
Speaker 4: You're like and then the NFC.
Speaker 3: North Hey Gary Shannon Beck.
Speaker 8: In the late eighties early nineties, when I was still using cocaine, not very often, but every time we got a shipment of cocaine that had a pink.
Speaker 4: Or yellow hue to it is heroin.
Speaker 8: That was the extra good stuff.
Speaker 1: Ah really No, that meant that you're cocaine had heroin in it.
Speaker 3: Well that's the possibility, right, maybe that's what made it the good stuff.
Speaker 4: No that's not Nope, No that's not good care no a whole.
Speaker 3: On a second, I don't mean good like no, no, objectively like no, Why I would not say that, but have a.
Speaker 1: Cores light or a glass of chardonnay and call it a day. Leave the powders alone.
Speaker 3: I haven't had a Coors Light in a long time. Really, yeah, trying to remember.
Speaker 4: Probably at my house if you want to come over.
Speaker 3: Is it cold?
Speaker 4: Are the mountains or you're damn right? Those mountains are blue?
Speaker 3: Right? Well, you're not even home, so maybe I'll just go grab.
Speaker 4: Some it's the best time to come over.
Speaker 3: Say that against quietest. Kamala Harris's interview with sixty Minutes was edited to make her answer more succinct. We knew that, we knew that CBS and admitted that finally they've been embroiled in this kind of scandal, bias, scandal, manipulation, scaled, whatever word you want to use, because they edited a clip from an interview with the vice president, and the accusation is that they tried to make her look more competent. And the way that they explained it, what okay, just the they did an interview with sixty Minutes that was going to air in its entirety on Monday night a couple of weekends ago.
Speaker 1: But in this Sunday they based the Nation or what have you. They gave a little blurb, a little clip a little teaser, and in that teaser, Kamala Harris is answering question about Israel and about our support and where we think this is headed. And then when it aired on Monday night, in entirety, it was a completely different answer.
Speaker 3: So the specific statement from CBS sixty minutes gave it a quote. Sixty minutes gave an excerpt of our interview to face the nation that you used a longer section of her answer than that on sixty minutes, same question, same answer, but a different portion of the response. When we added any interview, whether a politician, an athlete, or movie star, we strive to be clear, accurate, and on point. The portion of her answer on sixty minutes was more succinct, which allows time for other subjects in a wide ranging, twenty one minute long segment, I will say they weren't talking about the price of carrots. They were talking about the potential for the Middle East to blow up into World War III.
Speaker 1: Let me play conspiracy theorist, my new favorite role to play. If that was the case, then why in the super abbreviated teaser was the answer not the most succinct If they wanted it to be succinct. Why in a twenty second teaser would they have the rambling answer and not it already edited. Unless and here's where the conspiracy comes in. Unless everyone saw that clip of her in Kamala Harris World, Democratic World, and they said, oh hell no, the horn immediately and the pressure was so much for CBS and so much was writing on fixing that in terms of getting future interviews or what have you, or the democracy that we have in this country that they changed.
Speaker 3: Manifest a suckul and Chinese meal, Mike, your hands off, mytt My question is why would CBS balk at the idea of just releasing the transcript. You put out this statement and you say we're going to prove it. This is the transcript of the question, or this is the transcript of the full interview.
Speaker 1: I guess to play devil's advocate. They don't want to negotiate with terrorists. They don't want to capitulate to the naysayers, the conspiracy theorists.
Speaker 6: Okay, but but they're But then, the reputation of arguably one of the great legacy media outlets in our country's history has now got a giant black eye on it.
Speaker 3: Right, and listen. I know plenty of people who support Kamala Harris who say this looks really bad for CBS, that they acknowledge this should never have happened. In that you can edit those things we talked about that last week. You can edit. That's part of what journalism is is trying to figure out which of these answers makes the most sense, especially if you're dealing with time constraints for whatever reason. But then admit that you have to be able to back up your answers. You have to back up and show your work as to why you did that.
Speaker 1: Our CBS news just knows what we all know. Nobody's really paying that much attention, are they. You're focused on Donald Trump's order at McDonald's Chick fil A's streaming content.
Speaker 4: What is your order? McDonald's.
Speaker 3: Uh, it's been a while.
Speaker 4: I did a big mac guy.
Speaker 3: I am a big mac guy. Yeah. I used to do the fish filet or file of fish, but I have not done that in a long time.
Speaker 1: Is that just like a Is that just like a big fish stick like a cocod or something.
Speaker 3: Cost I think it's probably various white fishes that have been camal amalgamated camalcamated could put into one compound and then squished through something to.
Speaker 4: What's a sauce on that? Is it like a tartar sauce? That sounds delicious.
Speaker 1: My mother used to always get file fish, so I of course wanted nothing to do with that, of course, But yeah, I'm a I'm a burger, just the normal burger, small fry. Sometimes I'll do small fry, communist small fry.
Speaker 4: I get the small fry. I like, I don't have envelope it is yeah and uh.
Speaker 1: And then sometimes though, I will get into a box of chicken nuggets and and just eat more barbecue sauce than God intended for me to eat.
Speaker 4: I do like that tangy barbecue sauce.
Speaker 3: Man, it becomes a vehicle for the sauce.
Speaker 4: Oh man, it's so good. And then they started about meats. Why I know me too.
Speaker 1: I'm actually starving right now, and I ate a piece of meat last night. But but uh, I need fresh meats today. I need new meats, and I'm planning it. I was talking to Jacob off the air. I was going through the menu of the foods they have here. They've got like a fried chicken sandwich, but instead of a bun, it's two waffles and they've got some sauces on that chicken.
Speaker 4: And Jacob and I both.
Speaker 1: Decided we had diabetes after eating masks from eating the main But they also do a pretzel dog here, and then they also do a meatball HOGI on a stick, where like the bread is wrapped in an s shape around two meatballs and it's all in a stick and it comes with marin aisas.
Speaker 4: That sounds amazing.
Speaker 3: I was a farmer's market on Saturday and passed by a place that was making meatball sandwiches and it was it smelled so good.
Speaker 1: I love a meatball sandwich like I'll get that at Subway, even the trash sandwich shops, of all sandwich shops. I mean, it's fine for what it is, but it's not a real deli. Everyone knows that this mess, but they do. Yeah, but they do a nice meatball sandwich.
Speaker 3: All right, campaign full swing. Now, I gotta go find some food. We'll get into swamp watch when we come back to Gary and Shannon. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am. To one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio Lab