Speaker 1: Hello, and thanks for joining us here on Pastor Rick's Daily Hope, the audio broadcast ministry of Pastor Rick Warren. Today, Rick continues teaching a series called Connecting with God the Lord's Prayer. In these lessons, Rick shows you what it means to truly be spiritually connected to God and to each other through the power of God's love and God's word. In a moment, we're going to tell you how to get the Daily Hope Advent calendar. This special resource will help you experience all that Christmas promises. Go to Pastorick dot com to find out more, or text the word daily to eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four. That's Pastorick dot com. Or the word Daily to eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four Right now, Here's Pastor RICKOD Part one of a message called the Prayer of Deliverance.
Speaker 2: A year ago, I got a note that says this, Pastor Rick. Every morning I start out with great intentions to change my ways. I think today is going to be different, but it never is. Somehow, in some way I always seem to fall back into the same old pattern of relating to people and my old bad habits. Sometimes I feel like there's a tug of war going on inside of me. Honestly, I really want to do what's best, but I always end up disappointing myself.
Speaker 3: And God. Rick.
Speaker 2: I have tried everything, prayer, resolutions, self help tapes, even hypnosis. Nothing seems to work. Why do I keep making the same mistakes over and over and over. Why am I so resistant to change? Why do I think? Why do I do things that I know are bad for me? I'm really discouraged and I need help getting unstuck. If you're honest, every one of us have felt that way at different times in our lives about different things in our lives. Because the reality of living on this planet is good intentions are never good enough. Good intentions are never good enough. If your life is going to change, If you're going to break free from the hang ups in your life, from the stuff that messes you up, from the past, and from your temptations, and from bad thought patterns and all kinds of things, it's going to take more than just well, I hope I'll do better tomorrow.
Speaker 3: And the reality is we.
Speaker 2: Often get stuck in this this cycle of good intention, failure, guilt, confession, good intention, failure, guilt, confession, and on and on, around and around in a circle. Is that the way God wants you to live? No, that's why you need Well, we're going to talk about this week in the prayer of deliverance. Now we've been looking at each phrase of the Lord's prayer in depth and in detail, and this weekend we come to lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Now, the fact is some of you want to start checking out right now, So well, thank God, I haven't been tempted in fifty years, right. We often think temptation is an enticement or a llure to do something evil. We could mean bad and nasty, the really bad stuff, murder, adultery, and fornication, all of these different sins that other people do. And we tend to think that temptation is just about the big things in life, the forbidden, the evil things in life. But actually I found that satan is much more subtle in my life and some of those things. I'm not tempted to murder anybody.
Speaker 3: I'm just not.
Speaker 2: And you can train your mind to think in certain ways that certain things just don't tempt you anymore like they used to in hard ways. But I made a list off of the top of my head of what I call the subtle temptation. I don't know if any of you deal with any of these, but I do.
Speaker 3: Number one.
Speaker 2: The temptation to do what works, not necessarily the right thing, but what works. The temptation to do what's easy, like when you're a parent and you set your kid down in front of the television and let them babysit, and a thousand other ways we do what's easy. The temptation to do what's quick, The temptation to do what works in the short run, the temptation to do what is self serving or best for me. I find myself often tempted by the temptation to do what's unimportant, to not do what really matters in life, the essential things in life, but to do.
Speaker 3: Stuff that Why am I doing this?
Speaker 2: Why am I frittering away my time procrastinating? I'm doing the unimportant. The temptation to do what I've always done, The temptation to do what's right for the wrong reason. The temptation to do nothing. When you see something that I know I could help that person, I know I could help in that situation. I know I could do that, but you don't do anything when you see the poor, you see the sick, or you see the needy. The truth is, temptation is a lot more subtle than we think it is. But the answer to the temptations that we experience in life is this verse, which is the prayer of deliverance. And the prayer of deliverance always leads us to the path of escape. Now, Jesus said, you are to pray Thy kingdom Come. Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. Forgive us our sins, as we forgive those who sin against us. We've looked at that the last two weeks, and he says, lead us not into temptation. Now, if we didn't give into temptation, we wouldn't have to worry about the two sentences before the sins, the guilt and the resentment. We wouldn't have to worry about that one. But God says that the prayer of deliverance is the path of a escape.
Speaker 3: And what is the path of escape?
Speaker 2: I want you to take your outline, and I want you to read this verse with me. One Corinthians ten thirteen. Read it with me. The temptations that come into your life are no different from what others experience. Okay, stop right there. If you say nobody knows what I'm going through, you're wrong. The temptations that come your way are no different from what others experience.
Speaker 3: We all have.
Speaker 2: The same basic temptations in life. You are not unique in the fact that you're tempted. Some of your temptations are more unique. But temptation is not you needque We all get tempted and they're not any different. Then he says, and read it with me. God is faithful. You will keep the temptation from becoming so strong that you can't stand up against it. Now, let me stop right there. When you say it was so strong, I just had to get in, then you were calling God a liar. Because God says I will always make a way out. I will never put more on you, or I will never allow more on you than I put in you to bear it up. And when somebody says I just couldn't help myself, they're not telling the truth. Because the truth is temptation is a choice, and you only do what you choose to do. So don't blame anybody else temptation is a choice to do do right or do wrong. And he says God will keep the temptation from becoming so strong you can't stand up against it. And then read the Ress with me. And when you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you.
Speaker 3: Will not give in to it. And I want you to.
Speaker 2: Circle show you a way out, because this weekend we're going to look at the way out.
Speaker 3: Number one.
Speaker 2: The first step on the path to escape from the prayer of deliverance, as the Bible teaches, is first I have toy what makes me vulnerable. I must identify what makes me vulnerable.
Speaker 3: Now, notice I.
Speaker 2: Didn't say identify what tempts you. You already know what tempts you. What you may have never really thought through is what causes me to be tempted by that? What makes me vulnerable to that temptation, what makes me weak, what makes me susceptible. And more important than knowing what tempts you is knowing the when, why, how, where, and all the other factors that go into that temptation. If you're serious about permanent life change. Now, Jesus said this in Matthew twenty six forty one. He says, watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak. In other words, you may be willing, you may want to overcome your temptation, but will powers not enough.
Speaker 3: The spirit is willing. Have you learned that willpower is not enough?
Speaker 2: It'll work for a while, but after a while you get tired and willpower burns out. No lasting change ever happens with willpower. I'm gonna lose weight, I'm gonna stop smoking, I'm gonna whatever. Well, yeah, you can force yourself for a while, but as soon as you get tired, the will poops out. So he says the spirit is willing, but the body is weak. Now he says, watch and pray circle both of those. You can't just pray, You have to watch. So when Jesus says, as you are to pray, lead us not into temptation, he's even saying that's not enough. It's important to pray the prayer of deliverance. But besides praying, you aught to got it. You also have to do some watching. And what is he saying you need to watch for? You need to watch for the circumstances that make you vulnerable. You need to identify those and work with them. Now, let me explain what I'm talking about. If you've been around saddleback for a length of time, you know that the Bible teaches that every human being is unique. There's nobody in the world like you. You have a unique thumbprint, a unique EyePrint, a unique voice print. You have a unique heartbeat, you have a unique footprint. Everything about you's unique. God never MIxS copies, he never mikes clones. He will never make anybody like you before you or after you. And we call this your shape.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Pastor Rick's Daily Hope. Rick will be back in just a moment with the rest of today's lesson. You can sign up for Pastor Rick's free email devotional at pastorick dot com. That's pastorick dot com.
Speaker 4: Fall us here now, and that means Christmas is right around the corner. That's why we want to let you know that Pastor Rick and his wife Kay created an advoct calendar with specially commissioned custom artwork.
Speaker 3: It's beautiful.
Speaker 4: This two part resource includes a calendar with a special door for every day of December that opens to reveal a hidden image and an encouraging Bible verse. Use it with a companion daily Devotional booklet to help you and your family draw closer to Jesus and prepare your heart for the real celebration. The Daily Hope Advit calendar will help you spend the holidays worshiping instead of worrying, slowing down and reconnecting with God and expressing gratitude for the true meaning of the season. You want to get the Daily Hope Admit Calendar and devotional booklet in your hands now to start using it on December first. This resource is a perfect way to share the gift of Jesus at Christmas with your friends and family, and we'll send it to you to say thanks when you give a gift to Daily Hope to help take good news to people everywhere. Quantities are limited, so get yours now. Just call eight hundred six hundred five zero zero four or go to pastor Rick dot com. That's eight hundred and six hundred at five zero zero four, or go to pastor Rick dot com. Thanks so very much.
Speaker 1: This is Pastor Rick's Daily Hope once again.
Speaker 3: Here's Rick.
Speaker 2: Now what you may have never really realized as we talk about God shaped you for ministry, God shaped you for mission. It's gonna affect everything. Your shape also affects what tempts you. Your shape determines what tempts you. It's why some things tempt you and don't tempt other people. Why some things attempt other people don't tempt you. You have a unique susceptibility to temptation based on your shape, your personality, your experiences, your DNA, all.
Speaker 3: That kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: Certain sitting situations tempt you and others don't. And some of us just really get to you, and some of them you can just blow off. And some things entice you and lure you in, and others bore you to tears and have no effect on you. So where does that come from? Where do the temptations in your life come from? Well, some are caused by nature, your own said nature, and some are caused by nurture.
Speaker 3: The way you grew up.
Speaker 2: And if you grew up in a house that was prone to blow up in anger, you probably learned that pattern. If you grew up in a house where you learned to stuff your emotions, that's pattern you learned. So some temptations are by nature and some are by nurture, some are caused by your DNA, and some are caused by your environment, some are caused by your character, and some are caused by your your circumstance. What am I saying is this, you don't get to choose your temptations.
Speaker 3: You don't get to choose them the things that really tempt you.
Speaker 2: Sorry, it's just part of the negative side of your shape.
Speaker 3: Now what does that mean.
Speaker 2: Well, the implication of that is you cannot be self righteous about anybody else's temptation, and you can't be self righteous about your own. And what does tempt you and what doesn't. And so when you see somebody who's tempted by drugs, or you see somebody who's tempted by gossip, or you see somebody who's tempted by pornography, or you see somebody who's tempted to overeat, really doesn't matter where that temptation come from. From DNA, from genes, from nature, from nurture, from environment, from choices, from circumstances. All of those things fit into that. But the fact is they're all the same thing, and one is no better or less evil than the other.
Speaker 3: The Bible says sin is sin.
Speaker 2: So we have no right to judge and say, well, my sins are okay, yours are nasty. How could anybody do that?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: Now, what I'm saying is that you have a pattern of vulnerability, and you better figure out what it is, because I want to tell you.
Speaker 3: For sure, Satan knows what it is.
Speaker 2: Satan knows your vulnerable points, and he's plotting the moment you wake up. If you wake up in the morning, you don't hit Satan first face on, just means you're head in the same direction. To identify your pattern, you identify what makes you vulnerable. Now to get specific, let me give you five questions you need to ask yourself first. You need to ask yourself when am I most tempted? When am I most tempted? In other words, what day of the week you're going to find some days of the week you're more tempted about things than others, Like on Mondays, or on Fridays, or on Sundays. Maybe a certain time of the day. Maybe you're more tempted in the morning, or at lunch or early or late afternoon. Maybe you're tempted when everybody else is in bed. You know, you need to figure out when are you most tempted. You know, I can handle any diet till noon. I mean, that's nothing. It's the hours between about six o'clock and midnight. That's my pattern of temptation. It's when I want to eat everything in the refrigerator and buy an extra refrigerator. Now I could go out and blame my genes and say, you know what, I just came from an obese family. Well, just because it's genetic in me doesn't mean it's right or it's healthy.
Speaker 3: No, it is not. It is not.
Speaker 2: And so you have to say when am I most tempted? You need to ask where where am I most tempted? Some of you are most tempted at work. Some of you are most tempted at your neighbor's house because of your neighbor. When my neighbors come over to my house, they just get so tempted. Maybe you get tempted in the kitchen. You need to know where you get tempted. Do you get tempted at seven eleven's? Do you get tempted at a sports bar?
Speaker 3: Do you get.
Speaker 2: Tempted at the beach? A lot of you get tempted in front of a computer. You need to know your area of vulnerability. When am I most tempted? Where am I most tempted?
Speaker 3: Then? Number three?
Speaker 2: Who is with me when I'm most tempted? You need to know your pattern of vulnerability.
Speaker 3: Who is with me?
Speaker 2: Am I most tempted when I'm alone? Am I most tempted when I'm with friends who lead me in the wrong direction? You know you can't soar with the eagles if you're flying with the turkeys. Am I most tempted when I'm with my coworkers and I think they're a bunch of jerks? Or am I tempted when I'm with a crowd of strangers and I think nobody would know me? Am I tempted with my family? To say things to my family I would never say to anybody else. You need to figure this out. This is your pattern. Identify what makes me vulnerable when?
Speaker 3: Where? Who? Number four is what?
Speaker 2: What temporary benefit do I get if I give in to the temptation?
Speaker 3: There's always a payoff, you know.
Speaker 2: The Bible even says that the Bible says there is pleasure in sin. It just says there's pleasure in sin for a season. In other words, it doesn't last you have your kicks, then you get the kickbacks.
Speaker 3: Folks, let's just admit it. Sin's fun.
Speaker 2: It's fun if it were miserable, nobody do it. Okay, let's just admit this all right. Sin is fun, and the Bible says that. The Bible says disobeying God is a whole lot of fun. Doing the wrong thing is a whole lot of fun. There is pleasure in sin for a season. So what of the temporary benefit I give in when I give in the temptation? Do I get comfort? Do I get excitement? Do I get joy? Do I get pleasure? Do I get a false sense of confidence? You need to know what's the payoff when I do this? And then the fifth thing you need to ask is how how do I feel right before I'm tempted? Right before I'm tempted?
Speaker 3: You need to know.
Speaker 2: What your emotional triggers are. You need to know what makes your you vulnerable? Is it frustration? And then all of a sudden you get tempted? Is it stressed? You get tempted?
Speaker 3: Is it when you're bored? You get tempted? When you're lonely?
Speaker 2: You get tempted when you can't sleep at night? You get tempted.
Speaker 3: You need to know these things.
Speaker 2: Step one, identify what makes me vulnerable. Watch, don't just pray, Watch and pray. Then once you know that pattern, here's step number two. Plan to avoid it. You plan to avoid it. You don't wait until you're in the situation. Decide am I gonna give into this or not? No, you decide before your emotions kick into gear.
Speaker 1: This is Pastor Rick's daily Hope. We are so happy that you've chosen to study along with us today. If you'd like to receive ricks free daily devotional, go to Pastorick dot com and sign up right now. Rick will be back to close out our time in just a moment. But first fall is here, and that means Christmas is right around the corner. That's why we want to let you know that Pastor Rick and his wife Kay created an advent calendar with specially commissioned custom artwork.
Speaker 3: It's beautiful.
Speaker 1: Here's Pastor Rick to tell you more.
Speaker 2: You know, friends, one of the most common questions that you hear this time of the year is are you ready for Christmas? It's a question that shows how much preparation we think is necessary just to celebrate this holiday. And this holy day. We think getting ready for Christmas means putting up decorations and buying and wrapping gifts and sending cards and planning meals and helping with school plays and church musicals and office parties, and the list goes on and on, making sure that we help all the people who are in need. But does doing all that really get us ready for Christmas? We'll making it through a checklist, prepare me for celebrating the Birth of Jesus. We both know the answer is no, And we both know that it's too easy to get so caught up in doing too many things, many of them good things, but so many things that we forget the real reason for the season. So you know what, Here at Daily Hope, we've put together a brand new resource that I want you to have. I hope it will help you really get ready for celebrating the Birth of Jesus. It's an advent calendar, a calendar of preparation. And each day on this calendar, you'll open one Bible verse and then you just turn to the corresponding page and a companion book that we've put together, and you read through the very short spiritual growth devotional, not only takes a couple minutes to read the Bible verse and the devotional, but it's going to prepare your heart for the coming of Christ at Christmas. My hope is at this resource, this advent calendar. Preparing your heart for Christmas will help you spend the holiday expressing your gratitude to God, worshiping instead of worrying, and taking things off your schedule so you can appreciate the true meaning of Christmas. I don't want you to miss the miracle of Jesus this Christmas.
Speaker 1: You'll want to get the Daily Hope Advent Calendar and devotional book in your hands now to start using it on December first. This resource is a perfect way to share the gift of Jesus at Christmas with your friends and family, and we'll send it to you to say thanks when you give a gift to Daily Hope to help take the good news of Jesus Christ to people everywhere. Quantities are limited, so get yours now. Call eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four to support Daily Hope and we'll send you this powerful resource, or you can visit Pastororrick dot com. That's eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four or pastorick dot com. Be sure to join us next time as we look into God's Word for our daily hope. This program is sponsored by Pastor Rick's Daily Hope and your generous financial support