Speaker 1: The youngest voters Trump fifty three percent favorable. Now Kway Travis at buck Sexton today at noon on fifty five KRC the talk station eight o six, a fifty five ker CD talk station. Happy Wednesday, Bottom of the Hour with Judge Ennenapolitano every Wednesday at eight thirty. A Republic of spies. That'd be the topic of his or the headline on his column which comes out tonight. I get it early. We'll talk about that among other topics with the Judge. In the meantime. We call it a Hail Mary pass. Perhaps Brian Patrick Frank does. He is a Republican and he is going to run against AFTAB pro ball from mayor of the City of Cincinnati AFTAB, of course, announcing his efforts to become re elected. Brian Patrick Frank is in studio to talk about what I will call a Sisaphian challenge. Welcome, Brian Frank. It is a pleasure to have you in the studio today.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Brian, and thank you to your listeners for letting me speak with you this morning.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: I'm sure they're happy to hear from someone who offers a perhaps refris rushing change from air Aftab pro ball surprisingly low key. We hardly hear from him. I mean, I know, local news and local media rarely reports on local politics anymore because it's all kind of dried up to some degree. I know if Sharon Coolige where the enquire tries to but he keeps his head down fairly low. But of course, running for re election, you do realize what you're in for. I mean, it is the city of Cincinnati, which I think it seems like the Republican Party has just kind of given up on.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I'm not sure that Aftab's heart is in this. He's been spending a lot of time in the past year with President Biden before he was ousted from office. I think he may even have spent some time in the White House with him. He gave him a tour day long tour of Walnut Hills and took him to just Kewan. So he's been dreaming about going into the national politics. I think his heart is in a national politics, and I think he's already moved on from Cincinnati, So I wouldn't be surprised to hear if Aftab is not going to actually complete his run for mayor.
Speaker 3: I think he's got other things up his sleeve.
Speaker 1: Oh, and I think you're observing something that people have been deserved for a long time. He does seem to have political aspirations that far exceed the city of Cincinnati. And honestly, I was shocked to read that he was running for reelection because I really fully expected exactly what you said.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think he would even have worked for Kamala Harris. I would have had to hold my breath for four years if that was my job. But I think he was ready to take on that.
Speaker 1: All right, Well he didn't at least thus far, So we'll have to keep our popcorn out and wait to see what becomes of a have to have provoll. But what is and I'm sure there's a lengthy list, but your criticisms of the current administration, the direction of the city's going. How would you approach the job differently? And I tell you what, Let's just start real quickly with who you are before we get to the challenges of the job. But where you come from, what your background is, and why it is you think you're qualified to be mayor.
Speaker 3: Let's do that.
Speaker 2: Well, great, Well, I'd love to tell you my high school but unfortunately I grew up in Buffalo, New York. I went to Saint Joseph's Institute, and I don't think many of you would know where that is, but I will tell you if you are familiar with LaSalle High School. They're from the same brotherhood that taught me, the Lassalian Brothers. I have grown up in Buffalo. I went to University of Rochester on an ROTC scholarship. I completed my undergraduate degree and my master's in business administration in four years. I then joined the active duty. I went to the Seventh Fleet. I served in Yakoska, Japan. I was involved with an incident at sea, which is considered an active war. I was nearly killed by a Soviet cruiser who was coming at me and my ship at forty five knots. I was the conning officer at the time. The captain took over command and he said, Officer Frank, do not leave the deck. You are going to make sure that we maintain course and speed. And for the next three minute I was saying, Hail Mary, let's not get dead here as this ship attacks us. So at the last minute the ship turned away and we went on our business. But we were over there because we were peacefully trying to find the black box from Kalub seven that the Soviets had shot down in February of eighty three, and we were looking for that black box to see if the Soviets had made any communication and warned the pilots of that ship. Over four hundred people died on that aircraft. All of them were sent sunk to the bottom of the Pacific Ocean about fifteen miles off the coast of Soakelen Island. Now we recognize only twelve miles of international waters. The Soviets expect two hundred miles of national waters, and they did not like us being in their backyard, so they tried to force us to leave. This issue was taken all the way up to the National Security Council, it was brought up at the United Nations. So this was a major incident. Thank god, nobody was killed on board the US as Towers the officer. I was the officer of the con at that time. But I'm glad that I survived that and I'm here in Cincinnati. I worked at Procter and Gamble till I retired at twenty three years of service. I then went on with many assignments after that, but my favorite after that was working for doctor Odell Owens. He made me a political appointment appointee of his. He asked me to work with Governor Kasik in Columbus on reducing the cost of tuition and the cost of books. I will say that I partnered with the University of Cincinnati. It was not their idea, it was mine. We were able to outsource all of our book printing of textbooks at Cincinnati State to the UC a brand new facility that they built. We were also able to outsource our nine to one one call center. We also had a weekend police surveillance done by the UC police. And we were the only college and university combined u SE and Cincinnati State who actually achieved Governor Kasik's goal.
Speaker 3: And we at Cincinnati State.
Speaker 2: Were able to reduce greatly the cost of the textbooks, and we also reduced or maintained tuition costs. It's very difficult to reduce that, but that was probably one of my biggest accomplishments. And I had a great relationship with doctor Owens, who, as you know, was a politician, former corner and he taught me a lot. He and I spent a day and a half traveling to Atlanta together down to do some benchmarking with one of the universities down there in Atlanta. Doctor Posey was with us well, and we had a great conversation in his car driving there and back to Atlanta. I really got to know a lot about him, and this is why I'm taking on this role. I want to run for office and be the mayor of Cincinnati. I want to be your next mayor.
Speaker 1: And you are a longtime resident of a Mount Adams I understand forty years.
Speaker 2: I live in a house called Centennial House, was built in eighteen seventy six. A rumor has it they had a huge celebration of the America's centennial celebration. I don't think I'll make it to the next centennial celebration, but as you do know, we have our two hundred and fiftieth anniversary coming up in just a few years, and I'm going to be celebrating that. So yeah, I've been to Mount Adams for over forty years and have really enjoyed being able to walk to my job at Procter and Gamble the Twin Towers. When I worked there, I would say I could see my house from my home or from my job. And I could see my job from my home. So it was a great experience working at Procter and Gamble, and I really enjoyed that time. They made me a loaned executive to the City of Cincinnati twice. The first time I was asked to go down in outsourced street sweeping, very successfully done. The next time they called and said, we're looking at outsourcing the management of the Duke Energy Center.
Speaker 3: Can you help us.
Speaker 2: They sent me down there and I helped outsource that to Global Spectrum. After I did that work, he renewed that contract I think three times with Global Spectrum. They were really happy with that relationship, you know. I've also worked with pat the Wine and the Hamilton County Commission as a loaned executive, and I was asked by the Cincinnati Business Committee to work on the Jail task Force, and I looked at third party third parties who could provide jail force jail service through public excuse me through private means. Unfortunately, when I brought that company in and tried to do a tour of our existing facilities, Simon Leeese barred me from the jail so that I could not come in, and so I had to cancel that meeting, and that was the end of that idea of bringing in the third party to run jail operations. But I'm really excited about this opportunity, and I think with the support of Cincinnatians, we can make this happen.
Speaker 1: Well, I appreciate your optimism. Of course, your background speaks for itself. Well connected you are, and of course, with forty years of living in matt Adams, you are very familiar with Cincinnati politics in the well seemingly crazy direction. It's gone over that forty year period of time. We're going to bring back Frank, or rather Brian Patrick Frank. I keep confusing with Frank Abrams, the author. I talk with Brian Frank, who's in studio. We're going to learn about his ideas for the future of the city of Cincinnati if elected as mayor. Stick around right back after these.
Speaker 2: Brief words, This is fifty five karc an iHeartRadio station when.
Speaker 1: The Wildfires truck eight eighteen fifty five KERCD Talks station. Bottom of r of course, Judge Ennit of Paula tan In the meantime, Brian Patrick Frank is in studio and he is running against Mayor Atab Purvall to be mayor of the City of Cincinnati under the Republican banner. Brian, have you talked to the Republican Party, Yes, I have. I've talked to the chair, Russell Mock. He's been very supportive. He's connected me with many of the precinct captains of Round Town in the City of Cincinnati, and he's asked me to become the precinct chair for Mount Adams, which I had submitted my application for good good. That's wonderful and even that in that role you can do some real you can have a positive impact on this greater Sin Saint politics generally speaking. But so at least I'm I'm happy that a lot of people express concerns over how the Republican Party is run and again observing that very few, if any Republicans are willing to run in the City of Cincinnati, it's nice to know that they're at least supporting you at the outset. And Adam Kaylor, we've been talking offline. If you're out there, Adam, Brian Frank could certainly use your help and for example establishing a website.
Speaker 4: Adam, if you're out there, please reach out to me. I'll email you and Adam. I gave him your phone number as well. So Adam typically tunes into the morning show, so hopefully he will hear the message. But you've again life well, forty year resident of Mount Adams, so you know city politics, You've watched it change over the years. What do you want to change about how the city is run if you were mayor? What's on your short list?
Speaker 2: Well, like to take one set back, and that is I'm running because we need a Republican voice in political office in Cincinnati. You know, we used to have JD. Vance representing us as our senator. He lives here in Cincinnati with his wife Usha. When I decided to run for office, one of the first places I went to was I went over to his home and walked up to the door. There was a black car there, big black truck block my entrance. I was looking to get his signature on my petition to get on the ballot and his wife both registered voters, and outcomes a Secret Service officer telling me that I had to leave the premises, which I did.
Speaker 3: But we used to have JD.
Speaker 2: Vance here and he is still our most visible representative from our great city. But we need someone in local office to be our representative, and that's what I will be. I know I'm not the only elected official. I think there's a a member of the Hamilton County who's in office. Maybe the engineer of the county is in office, but I don't see them calling him to say, can we trust Cincinnati with this money?
Speaker 3: You know, most of the money that we get on.
Speaker 2: Major projects, like the expansion of the Brent Spence Bridge comes from federal dollars, which could be cut off. They need to know in Washington that they've got a voice here in Cincinnati, an elected office who will follow through on commitments. And the same goes for our friends in Columbus. They need to know that there is somebody here in Cincinnati that they can trust, an elected office, and right now, I don't think there's anyone in office that they can call and feel like they can trust the person at the other end of the line.
Speaker 3: That's what I want to do.
Speaker 1: And that makes perfect sense because obviously political affiliation of a city does directly impact whether or not, for example, any given project is going to be approved. Since we are reliant so much on Columbus dollars and DC dollars. So I get that from the optical standpoint, But running as a Republican and being a Republican, I suppose, really demands asking the question, what's your perception of what it is to be a Republican? Because we all know, looking at the Democrats side of the ledger could be the woke leftist DEI idologue or the more conservative, sort of Kennedy esque Democrats. They still fly to the same d banner, but they mean completely different things in polar opposite things within the confines of what it is to be Democrats. So Republicans quite often defined by others what's your perception of what being Republican is?
Speaker 2: Republicans are all about individuals taking ownership for their own vision, their own goals, and their own job, and their own responsibilities to raise their family. And they don't expect you to be dependent on the government. They want to encourage you to get off government handouts as quickly as possible. Yeah, there's a brief point where someone might need federal or government benefits, or if you're injured, yeah you deserve government benefits. But other than that, we should be taking care of ourselves and Republicans want to encourage that I'm in charge of my life. It's my responsibility to be taking care of my family, and that's what I want to support.
Speaker 1: Limited government and firmly an agreement with you on that. Now, in terms of how the city runs and does business, you mentioned quite a few projects where you got involved with outsourcing. Quite often, that creates very an efficient system because those two whom you outsource are usually in the profit business, meaning they mine the dollars and cents. They have to prove that they can provide a service in a contract they've been awarded with. Government tends to fail us quite often because well, it's taxpayer dollars and they can be inefficient without worrying about losing their jobs. Is there anything that you have in mind that might be more efficiently run and mind the taxpayer dollars if it was outsourced for whatever reason, garbage collections seems to jump in my mind, But your thoughts on the City of Cincinnati along those lines.
Speaker 3: That's a great question, Brian.
Speaker 2: Right off the bat, I'd like to point out that years ago, City of Cincinnati used to be in the hospital business and they did a lousy job of it.
Speaker 3: They sold it. I believe they sold it to U. See.
Speaker 2: General Hospital is no longer our responsibility, but you know, we still have all of these health centers, especially in over the Rhine in downtown, and why are we in the business of doing medical exams and out of hospital appointments. I think we need to look very seriously at the health department and see if we can't outsource that as well. And I'm not talking about handing that off to UC like we did with General Hospital. I think we ought to be looking at the same folks that are supporting the Bengals. I think they brought in Kettering Health. I'd love to get to know them better. I would include the University of Cincinnati. I really want to include Saint Elizabeth. I'm a member of the Saint Elizabeth Health community.
Speaker 3: I get my annual.
Speaker 2: Checkups over there at Saint Elizabeth Hospital in Covington. It's just a safer neighborhood. I don't feel as comfortable going up to Pill Hill and walking those streets. So I really think that we need to look at outsourcing of our health centers downtown and over the Rhine.
Speaker 1: Well in public safety is certainly a growing concern and knows in the greater Cincinnati area. I trust off the bat that you would be a proud and outlawed supporter of the Cincinnati Police Department.
Speaker 2: Well, absolutely for the police department, but let's not forget about the fire department. And I would like to put a shout out to our fired chief of the Fire department who was fired by our city manager for absolutely no reason. You know, Chief Washington was brought into her office out of the blue and fired without any warning. And he's right now in a lawsuit for illegal termination of his job. He's looking at receiving probably ten million dollars in benefits because the courts have already said that his firing was illegal. So we need to stop people like you know, share Along from doing stupid things down at city Hall.
Speaker 1: Brian Patrick Frank he is running from mayor of the City of Cincinnati. We're going to hear more from Brian. I am certain as the calendar moves forward toward election. Brian, it's been a real pleasure meeting you and hearing from you and getting your thoughts and comments about being mayor of the City of Cincinnati. We shoe all the luck in the world and We'll look forward to that website. As soon as you find out what it is, I'll let my listeners know. Thank you, Brian, been my pleasure. Look forward to talking with you again real soon. Judge Annonapolitano join us next. Stick around fifty five KRC dot com Yellowstone fans