Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think we are. Get off our show.
Speaker 1: Idiots.
Speaker 2: The kids are playing or tail life. Countries are screwing it up.
Speaker 1: Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, gold Play Inner Murals. They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not.
Speaker 2: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 1: Who's the kid here? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 3: All right, let's get it started. We made it. It is Friday, Happy Friday, everybody. When I say we made it, I mean we made it to the end of the week and uh, Friday, best day of the week. I can't tell you how many times I've probably said that over the years, and it's still true here on Friday, May the sixteenth, So welcome in. It is Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety. Take us with you wherever you go. You can listen live on the iHeartRadio app. Also listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com. Nick Coffee, that's me. Austin's out today. As we discussed yesterday, he's out working. I think he's at a bar with Dwight, like that's work. I mean, I know a lot of times what we do here talking sports, having fun, a lot of nonsense. Really, I mean some people probably laugh that we call it work, but I mean he's with Dwight Whitten at a happy hour or something like that. It's an appearance for the Tony and Dwight Show. So yes, if you can't tell, I'm a little jealous because you know who didn't like a happy hour on a Friday at three o'clock. But again, they're working, so without Austin, we'll miss him, but we've got we've got the show in good hands, mister radio, Rick Ryder alongside and Vick happy to always be with you, Rick, always a pleasure, and we'll have some fun today and I hope you guys will stick with us. I will start by saying that I've got some nerves right now that I really haven't felt in a while.
Speaker 2: And I don't really know why.
Speaker 3: I mean, I know why because I'm about to share some news that some of you may already know, and I guess I'll just get to it. And the nerves, by the way, are just because you know, I don't really know what I don't really know what kind of emotion may come with this, but you know, I guess there's only one way to find out. So this morning, I was on news radio eight forty whas set about eight thirty five, and I joined Tony Cruz, and he made the announcement that with his retirement coming up, he will be retiring on I mean, the end of May is whenever he's going to be done with a legendary career here at news radio eight forty whas. But he announced that I will be taking over as the host of Kentucky and his morning news on news Radio eight forty whas. So this has been something that has kind of been I don't even know if it would be accurate to say that it's been in the works, because you know, there's a long process. It's not you know, it's a lengthy process. I should say. It's one of those things that obviously, you know, there's a lot that goes into it from people who I'll never meet that make these kind of decisions because they're very much higher up in the corporate structure at iHeartMedia.
Speaker 2: But I'm really excited.
Speaker 3: I I mean, I can't really put into words how grateful I am for the opportunity. I'm well aware of what the opportunity is, meaning, what that job is, what the show is. I mean, it's Kentucky and this morning news on news Radio eight forty Whas I've learned over the years just how impactful eight forty WHS is in not only in this market, in this region, but just in radio, the history of the tradition, the legendary and talented broadcasters that have worked on that station, and many of them are still there right so I'm honored. It still kind of doesn't seem real, and you know, it's one of those moments in my career. I used to feel really uncomfortable saying the word career when talking about this, because you know, you never really know how long you're going to be able to do this. Nobody ever does, and for me, it was always something that for a long time I just dreamed of being able to do. And here I am. I think I can say career now, successful career, average career, terrible career. I guess that's you know, you guys can come up with your own way to describe it. But this is what I do, and I'm very very, very fortunate. I always try to remind myself every day with this opportunity at seven ninety the platform I have that, man, this is a dream. Live in the moment, enjoy it, never take it for granted, because you just never know. So I'm a little The emotions for me are more so just realizing that, like the station, that I learned what sports radio is far as the format and the culture and the history of not just this station, but just sports radio in general. I mean, I'm I'm I'm a lifer meeting in radio, I suppose, but nonetheless, like you know, I whenever I was talking through this whole thing with the folks that thankfully decided to give me the opportunity, you know, it just kind of hit me that I've been I've been at this station for almost ten years. I've had three different day parts. I started out in mid days from noon to three for a few years, did the morning stint for a few years from seven to ten am, and now I've been here in the afternoons for I believe around a couple of years. So just to be able to say that I've that I've been able to do that is still something that I you know, not to be so repetitive, but it doesn't seem like reality because it's it's it's a dream for me. So the only scenario where I would ever walk away from from this would be for the opportunity that I've that I've been given. I'd be foolish not to take advantage of it, and I'd also be foolish not to give it everything. I have to make sure that, you know, it doesn't fall apart. It'll be a challenge for me. It'll be certainly different than what this is, but I'm so energized and motivated to make it work. I mean, this is one of the this is I have no choice but to make it work, and I'm confident that it'll be that.
Speaker 2: It'll be a you know, a great show.
Speaker 3: It already is, and I'm going to try to keep that, keep that going and add my own flavor along the way. So I am fortunate to be working with a great crew that I've really never had before. You know, I'm very grateful for everyone who has in some way been a part of my shows here over the years, from Matt Allen to John Alden to Austin Montgomery to those who have have filled in many times, like Rick Ryder. I mean the list goes on and on. There have been so many people that even you know, it's it's been great. But as far as a daily thing, I've really kind of been a one man band when it comes to just you know, hey, here's three hours, figure it out, like make it work. And you know, at times that's been challenging. But now I'm going to be joining a crew that that has a very all Everyone has a very important role in the Kentucky and the morning news format from five am to nine am. I mean, it's it's it's teamwork. So I can't wait to work alongside Scott Fitzgerald, who is has been I mean he himself is a staple within eight forty whas for many, many many years, a guy who works his tail off and you know, is really passionate about about what he does and it comes across in him as a broadcaster. So he'll be joining me as the sports anchor, but also he'll be a part of the show more so than just that to an extent, and I can't wait for that. I'm going to be reunited with the company man John Alden, which I'm going to try to speak that nickname back into existence. They stole him from me. He made the jump to the big leagues before I was given the opportunity, but hey, I get it. They could see some real talent with John, but he's the producer of that show now. And then also John Shannon, who gives news updates throughout he's the news anchor. So again, I'm so excited. I'm well aware of what the opportunity is and the challenges that come with it. And although I mean it when I see, I can't wait to get started. And I'm so excited. I'm also going to cherish the remaining shows I have here at seven ninety and I want to talk sort of about what this becomes after me, and I guess i'll I need to get it out of the way and not lead you to think that I've got some news. I'm teasing. I have no clue and I'm not someone who would have any say so in any decision that's made as far as what this looks like post me. So again, no clue, but I do want to talk about that just a little bit. But again, I'm super excited. And and those who you know, I guess kind of you know, I don't want to talk out of turn here, but you know, if you are someone advocating for me to be in this position to take over for the legendary Tony Cruz, who I mean, I believe I'm going to be the fourth person to kind of have this position in you know, fourth or fifth person in the existence of news radio eight forty whs. That's something that like hits me, hits me deep because that just it doesn't it doesn't seem real. But again, those who make the decision to you know, get to to advocate for me and say, hey, we want we want Nick to be the guy here.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: And you know, I would hope that if I, if I somehow can't make it work, that you know, you're not held accountable. But you know, if so, like that's kind of what this is. So I'm beyond grateful for everyone involved, and I know there's many people involved as far as what gets done here, how it all works. And so thank you to Gus Allen, who has been my boss now for a while. We've worked together for a long time and obviously he's been a big part of this entire process. Christy Beebe Nathan Nelson, I mean even those who used to be with us that are no longer a part of iHeart, that have moved on to do other things, Josh Everett, Kelly Carl's.
Speaker 2: I mean people who have helped me be able to do this. I mean, even going.
Speaker 3: Back to Dougan Ryan, who's the first person that ever gave me an opportunity in broadcasting when I was gosh, twenty maybe twenty three years old, and you know, I was doing a podcast in my one bedroom apartment with my then girlfriend who's now my wife. So you know, he gave me an opportunity. And I did know early on that it wasn't just something I enjoyed doing as far as talking about sports and talking about Louisville, talking about my favorite team and having a platform to do it. I just became a nerd for radio in broadcasting, and for so long I just never envisioned in any way I would be a part of it with it not being super centered around sports. But you know what, I've kind of grown up here. You know, when I got started and got the opportunity to make this what I do for a living, you know, it was a big part. It was a big time in my life.
Speaker 2: Life.
Speaker 3: I've told the story before when I got offered a contract to come and work for iHeartMedia as a full time host on seven ninety. That offer came as we were leaving the hospital with my daughter, and you know, imagine the emotions that comes with that. And then I'm thinking, like, you know, it'd be real selfish of me to take a big risk when I was already pretty comfortable in a different career to you know, go be selfish and see if I can chase my dream. And that's kind of the way I viewed it. But the support of my wife, who has been nothing but great to me and advocates for me, and she's you know, super supportive in every way. But you know, it wasn't. I was assuming we'd have some kind of discussion about let's see what makes the most sense, what should we do? Should you know, should I play it safe and say no, just because you know, we now got to take care of a human being, we became parents for the first time, we're still relatively young, all that. But there was no conversation because she just told me, you know, you're gonna do it, and it's gonna work, and she believed in me and for that. I really appreciate it more than she'll ever know. I knew that would happen, so I'll try to keep my composure. But again, thanks to everybody, everybody who's reached out to congratulate me after the news came out this morning. So anyways, back to where I was going with that story. You know, I never knew if if this would ever be something I could I could do, And you know, you never know when it's gonna be your last show, believe it or not. Tony Vinetti has given me some good advice over the years when it comes to just like, you know what this is. He's a lifer, he's been super successful, he's been grateful or he's been great to me, and I'm grateful for him, along with many others that have been, you know, kind of a part of my journey here. And you know, you never know what it's gonna be your last show. There are people who don't get the opportunity to do this out of nowhere. And it's not based off performance, it's not based off of I mean, sometimes it can be, but a lot of times it's not, so you know, to just kind of I think that's what's helped me just live in the moment and always enjoy this because I know it could be gone at any moment. So I've kind of just been in that mindset for so long, hoping that I can keep this going until one day, you know, my time comes so to be. You know, roughly ten years in at a station that again I got the bug for what sports radio is the platform. I mean listening to joe By and Denny, listening to the afternon underdogs, but Tony Venetti and Adam Neft and then you know, he's no longer on the FSR network, but like Jim Rome, like that was an element of sports radio with entertainment that I wasn't exposed to, and man, I loved it. So you know, it's crazy that I've been able to want at least have the time I've had here at seven ninety. But now I've got an opportunity that you know, many more talented than me, many more polished and successful than I am, you know, would love the opportunity, and I have it. So I'm grateful for it, and I'm going to do my best not to take advantage, you know, to take it for granted. So as far as what happens after this, I don't really know, and I don't Again, I'm gonna try not to talk out of turn, because last thing I want to do is say something I shouldn't say, and maybe they're like, yeah, you idiot, you got to yap in your mouth, you got you got emotional, and we're no longer we're no longer interested in you. I hope that doesn't happen. So again, I have no clue what they're gonna do, and whatever they choose to do, I do understand that there will be there'll be reasons behind it, and I'll support it.
Speaker 2: But I have developed a.
Speaker 3: Like I'm protective of what this is, right, and I know many people have been on the station long before me and have helped make it the brand that it is to where it's a sports station that's been around for a long time with a lot of successful shows over the years. So trust me, it's not like I feel like I've got a right to, you know, to the station that others don't, but like, I'm protective of it, right.
Speaker 2: I've been here for long enough to where I deeply care about it.
Speaker 3: So you know, I'm gonna throw some suggestions out to them as far as what I what I think they could do that would be doable, But again I have no say so, and they could tell me, okay, thanks for your advice, Nick kick Rocks, and look, they'd be justified in doing that because it's not my decision. I have no say so or influence. But you know, we'll see how things shake out. I'm gonna be in this spot at least from now until uh two weeks from now, So the thirtieth of May, I suppose will be the last time you you know, you hear me in this capacity. But you know, you never know what's gonna you know, what's gonna change as far as what they do decide to do here, and you know, maybe you'll maybe you'll you know, hear me in doses if they decide to actually, you know, if they decide to make, you know, an additional programming decision. So anyways, as far as what HA is is in the mornings, if I'm sure a lot of you listening are at least a well aware of what Kentucky and This Morning News is and has been for such a long time. And yeah, it'll be different. I mean, it's a different it's really a different job. Than what I've what I've always done. But that's that's that's challenging, that's that's you know, that's that's what makes it exciting for me. But also like, I'm still gonna be able to talk sports. It's gonna be a sports show, but sports very much a part of the news talk format, and you know, you'll still get me. But you know, if you for some reason they're like, yeah, if he's not talking about U of L or you know, UK or whatever it may be, or just being you know, a knucklehead like we can be at times on here, then you know I would hate to hear that, but you know it'll be different. It will be different, but again, there's no scenario where I'm not at least talking sports to some extent. But also there'll be things that come up that you know, you don't typically hear on this show. However, I think over the years, I've become more comfortable and felt better about not always just being nothing but sports for three straight hours, because you know, technically the format here is sports talking. I know there are some people out there that just if you for a second veer off into something that's not super sports related, they'll let you know, thought this was a sports show. So like, I know, there's some that really only want to hear that, But like I've enjoyed. What I've learned about myself in this is that like I do, in fact enjoy talking about things that are more relatable that maybe aren't sports related at all, or you know, things that are big stories that I have thoughts on that really have nothing to do with sports. So, you know, going back to where I got choked up and thought I was going to have to take an early break because I you know, I knew that was going to come at some point, but I was talking about I kind of grew up here, meaning like I mean, I was a lot younger ten years ago, and all I ever wanted to do was talk sports. And as I get older, you know, I find myself more interested in things and keeping up with things, you know, because as mention I grew up, I grew up. I've I mean, I'm there's a big difference in being thirty seven and twenty six, and you know, I'm I'm a father, I have two children, I raised my family here in the in the Louisville area, and I now pay attention to things other than sports, because you know what it impacts me. It has, it has you know, it affects me because you know, I'm I'm a grown up now kind of I make the joke about you know, I'm kind of a grown up. I am technically, but you know, sometimes I can get lost within this show and what this is, and it's nice to, you know, not feel quite like a grown up with such responsibility.
Speaker 2: Clearly, it's going to be different over there, because it is.
Speaker 3: You know, I got to be a little more professional, a little more polished, and I'll certainly do my very best at that. But I'll go back to and trust me, we'll take a time outage to second and we'll get into what we typically do here. But I want to at least address this just because you know, I didn't want you guys to find out any other way, which I'm sure some of you already knew anyway. But nonetheless, whenever this got thrown my way, it's been well over a year, not that the opportunity was there to accept, but it was presented to me by one of our former program directors who just you know, say, hey, when Tony Kruz does decide to retire, would what would you ever think about maybe making a move and being a part of HAS at some point? And I was legitimately surprised for a lot of reasons, but one I was like, you know what, what about me would make you think that, like I would be a good fit.
Speaker 2: I'm honored.
Speaker 3: That's a big deal. It's I mean, it's HAS. Let's be honest, like that's crazy, but you know what would that look like with me? And this really is something that always stuck with me because the conversation, you know, it just shifted to where, you know, they realized that I can, I can do this and not just talk about nothing but sports, and they wanted to add a little bit, a little bit of youth to to the HAS lineup, which of course you know is important. And from then on, I've just here and there been thinking about, you know, what I could do to keep that thing rolling like it has been for decades, for generations. Right with Kentucky and his morning news, you're getting your weather, you're getting your traffic. You know, you're getting your news, and you can always get that. But for me, I know now when it comes to the broadcast platform that is radio, we got a lot of competition and it's these things that people put in their pocket they're called cell phones, that you can do really anything you want. You can get any information you want, and we all know that. So my goal is to, you know, make it convenient to where you're not you know, you're not driving in in the morning on your phone, or you're not you know, getting your phone out to to to see the weather or see the news because you're you know, you're getting ready for work. Well, if you have has on, you're going to get your traffic, You're going to get your weather, You're going to get your news. You're going to get things that are important to to to be to be notified about because it's news. But also, you know, I want to try to add something that makes you think, Okay, this is the reason why I'm here, And I don't mean because of me, but just because you know, not only am I going to get what I need knowing I could get it elsewhere, but I'll be entertained. I'll hear interesting interviews that kind of stuff. So again, twenty one minutes in here, I didn't expect to talk about it this much. But you know, if you guys can't tell I'm a little long winded at times. You know, they gave me a three hour show, you know, ten years ago roughly, and I'll never forget it. I was so excited, so eager, just didn't seem real. And then like the day of, like I was prepared, but I'm like, yeah, you know, I've never really thought about it. I've just been so excited about the opportunity. I never really thought about that I'm gonna have to fill three hours of radio with really no other you know, no other you know, contributor or whatnot. So you know, anyways, thank you all to those who've reached out. I know there'll be some that that like tell me that this is a part of their their afternoon and you know, they're not happy about it, and one thank you, like that means so much to me that like you that this is going to I mean, I'm not happy that you're unhappy, but like, I'm still gonna be around. You'll still hear me. It'll be a lot earlier than you used to and a lot of people probably aren't even gonna be up before the show ends because it's a really i mean it's five am to nine am.
Speaker 2: But you know, I to know.
Speaker 3: That this is a weird thing to say, but it's just the truth to know that, like this is news that people will probably hopefully understand and kind of see my position and hopefully, you know, hopefully they'd be happy for I mean, if not whatever, I get it. You know, you don't know me personally. You don't have to feel happy for me. I understand that, but you know to know that that this show has meant enough to where you do enjoy it. It's part of your routine whenever you're leaving work, leaving school, whatever it may be. Like that means so much to me and I, you know, in what we do, there's no daily rundown of Okay, how good was your show? How many people truly listened? There's no there's no daily update to really know, So you just tell yourself keep you know, keep at it, try to stay fresh, try to stay you know, try to stay sharp, and try your best every day to put together the best show that you can. But you really never know if that's happening. I'm sure I've had many more bad shows than good. That's probably the case. But when I do hear from people that tell me that they listen, and you don't even have to tell me that you love it.
Speaker 2: I mean, I hope you do.
Speaker 3: If not, if you listen, and we you know, we've earned your attention and your time on your afternoon commute. Maybe it's for ten minutes, maybe it's for an hour, whatever, Maybe maybe you're a podcast listener like g It's still is crazy to me that that that, you know, when I have had this opportunity that I've had, and yet there are people who, you know, like it happened a few weeks ago, somebody reached out to the show and along our back or along our exchange on our text line, you know, they let me know that they listened to me when they were like finishing like high school, and now they're grown ups, now they have children and like they're you know that that made me feel old. But also it's like, you know, clearly, not only did they check it out here and there, they enjoyed it and it became something that they really appreciated. So I appreciate all of you. And uh, I'll quit yapping about it now. I'll get my composure together and you know, we'll finish strong here on a Friday and get out of here for the weekend. It is coffee and company. We are a feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 3: That's right, Coffee and Company fuel by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Appreciate you guys hanging out with us on a Friday afternoon, Nick Coffee and mister Radio Rick Ryder alongside. If you guys would like to join us on the show, you can best bet probably a text line today, which that's usually it's usually the best way, but obviously we do include phone calls as well. I just I don't want it to if phone calls turned into sort of, you know, the the news that I talked about earlier, Like I feel like I would be awkward and uncomfortable, and you know, I don't want to do that. So and I might, there's always the risk that I get, you know, a little choked up, and I don't want to do that. Wouldn't be fun for anybody, including myself. So the Element Federal Credit Union text line is FABO two four three eight ninety seventy three. But if you do want to give us a call, you can do that too, Fibo two five's seven to one seventy nine hundred. As you know, you will save money every time you go to the gas pump at a Thornton's location. If you are a Refreshing Awards member, you'll save twenty five cents once per week. So take advantage of that goes a long way. And we always appreciate our friends over there at Thornton's. So let's get the table set today, shall we. We spent the first thirty minutes just you know, me yapping about me personally, and it was important to share. And if you are just now joining us and you have no clue what in the world I'm talking about. I'm moving on from Sports Talk seven ninety after at the end of this month, I'll be moving to has to take over for Tony Cruz on Kentucky and his morning news, and really excited, but obviously, you know, it's a little bitterswee because I'll certainly certainly miss this, but we're gonna make the most of what time we have left. So one thing I wanted to get into is the players that are still sort of on the fence about coming back to college or going pro and this is this is one of the many new elements to sort of how we cover as college basketball fans the offseason, because you know, I'm watching the NBA Draft Combine on NBA TV and seeing the five on five action, and you know, you get to keep in mind, not that long ago, you wouldn't be able to even be participating in getting feedback from the NBA showing what you can do before the draft without without foregoing all your eligibility, right. I mean, things have changed drastically over the years, but now you've got guys out there who when you hear the the the analysts discussing their big decision and sort of where where they're viewed to be currently as far as the draft board, you know you now hear, well, he'd lose a lot of money if he goes pro, because you know, here's what you're slotted to make if you're somebody that ends up on a two way contract or a second round pick. I mean, it's tough for me to believe this totally, but I'll also acknowledge I have no clue but the Texas Tech star topping J T. Toppin he was viewed to be all accounts a mid to late first round pick. Mostly I think he was projected to be closer towards the end of the first round. I mean, you'd never. I mean I shouldn't say never because it has happened, but man, it's extremely rare to bypass an opportunity to go to the NBA in the first round.
Speaker 2: At any point. Well now, I mean j C.
Speaker 3: Toppin he realized reportedly that three points something million was on the table for him to come back to Texas Tech. And despite knowing that he's projected to be taken it at you know, for sure drafted overall, but probably somewhere in the first round, Like the financial decision was better off for him to come back to college.
Speaker 2: And that's just and.
Speaker 3: It's not because he's going to you know, maybe he does develop and he becomes a better prospect, but we're talking about the best scenario for you in you know, as far as just money, not necessarily your future.
Speaker 2: So it's just it's entirely different.
Speaker 3: But anyways, the reason I bring this up is because otega Oway has been probably viewed as a late second round, mid second round guy at best, and I don't really know how he translates to the NBA.
Speaker 2: But I think he's a really talented player. I think he can play in the NBA.
Speaker 3: I just think, you know, in that position, a kind of a combo guard.
Speaker 2: You know, it's just so hard. Again, we talked about it earlier this week.
Speaker 3: It's just it comes down to opportunity, because not to say that you can just go out anywhere, you can go to the park and pick up a guy that can come in and be a you know, be a combo guard for you, your tenth guy off the bench.
Speaker 2: Like trust me, that's that's not the case.
Speaker 3: But there are a lot of guys that could fill these roles within NBA organizations, but there's not that many of those roles to go around, so you know, who knows what he ends up doing in the NBA. But nonetheless, he is somebody that will benefit from coming back to college from a financial standpoint. And yes, he did do an interview I think it was last week where he really was adamant and maintained that he you know, he's always thinking about is the NBA. He's so focused on it right now. That's not to say he's for sure not coming back to college, because I think he is.
Speaker 2: But I think that's more.
Speaker 3: That's just you know, I think he probably has an agent, and his agent probably told him, you know, one of the things that you could do to maybe, if anything slightly improve how you're viewed to the NBA is that let them know that, you know, you're so focused up and you're you're really taking this serious and you're appreciative of the opportunity to be at the combine and get to work out for these NBA teams. So I never really looked at that as Okay, well, maybe he is considering not coming.
Speaker 2: Back to Kentucky, and look, who knows.
Speaker 3: I guess you know, he'll have a deadline whenever that is, and he'll make his decision. But just hearing this, this chatter during the NBA Draft Combine five on five scrimmages, I mean, it's just it's just the reminder of how different things have changed. And if you're a Kentucky fan, I don't think you need to be worried by any means that you're not going to get a take away back. But I think you also would acknowledge that if for some reason he did get like a first round guarantee and he decided to go like that, would change everything for uh for Kentucky, but I don't think that's going to happen. In this clip from NBA TV will probably make you feel a little better about, you know, your star player coming back.
Speaker 4: Oh, I think if listen, it's not always about getting it. I know, it's about getting a guarantee if he wants to play in the league, they'll be there'll be a role for him. However, there's a big however, he's going to give up significant amount of money. Of two a contract is roughly six hundred thousand dollars. A second year a second round pick exception contract is one point two million dollars.
Speaker 2: He's going to get more by going back to Kentucky.
Speaker 4: That's that's that's kind of generational money. He'll be basically chasing what he gave up at Kentucky for the next three years. It's not an easy decision for him.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of it.
Speaker 4: What type of team is he going back to that plays a significant role.
Speaker 2: Also, So.
Speaker 3: With all that said, what sense would it make for otega Oway to go ahead and say, yeah, I'm gonna call it a career as a college player, I'm moving to the NBA. I mean when it would show a lot of belief in yourself, which is admirable, certainly, but it would mean he has to hate college basketball. And I'm sure there are some that like it more than others. But man, these guys have it made right now. They're paid a lot of money if you play for you know, a program like Kentucky who will invest in basketball, you know as much as anybody. But you know, you're a rock star. Your pay is not dependent upon performance by any means.
Speaker 2: You are, you know.
Speaker 3: I can't imagine the experience for otega Oway at Kentucky last year was not maybe the best experience of his basketball career. I mean, I can't speak for him. I don't know him, but he was one of the best players I thought. Look, I said it all year. I thought he was their best player. I thought he was as consistent as anybody. He was solid on both ends, more so than really any of your other guys on that team, I think.
Speaker 2: And he was talent.
Speaker 3: He's talented, like he's one of those guys that didn't hit the portal. And Kentucky's class is already viewed as a good class from the portal.
Speaker 2: But the biggest get.
Speaker 3: For them is him coming back to college and not hitting the portal because he's that good of a player. So I would you know what you heard there as far as the money the financial situation again if you're if somehow we end up hearing that he's staying in the draft, it would mean I guess a few things he got a guarantee for, like the first round, and he you know, he believed it and he was willing to, you know, make the move. Or we find out he just hates college basketball and Kentucky, which there's I mean, I just don't I don't see that happening at all, Or he didn't feel good about the position that like Kentucky's roster was into where he felt like maybe his momentum would not be sustained or elevated because he's coming back to Kentucky and they're not going to be good, and I don't know how good they're going to be. But I don't think personnel wise, there's any reason to think that he would be, you know, hesitant to play alongside the group that they have. In fact, I think Jalen Lowe and Otaga away together that's a dynamic backcourt. I think you probably worry a little bit about three point shooting consistency, but you know, in every other aspect, those guys are you know, talking about big, physical, athletic guards that can do a lot of things. So I mean, i'd say he's coming back. And it's just different. Man. You had guys in a previous world that wasn't that long ago that would know that they have zero chance of getting drafted, but they decided after two years, Yeah, I've probably my NBA draft stock is what it is, and it's not really going to get any better. So let me just go ahead and take a risk and see if I get drafted. If not, I'm going to go ahead and start my pro career because you know, in a and I say this all the time, and what a lot of us do for a living, age isn't very much much a factor in it, right, Like hopefully, God willing, I can yap on the radio for the next thirty years. I hope radio still exist in thirty years. But like you know, I don't need to be athletic and you know, gifted with talent and ability as far as you know basketball. I mean, I'm talking, I'm yapping. So these guys, they were aware I only have like ten twelve years, maybe max, to really make a good living playing the game I love, and then I can start life after basketball, and I will have put away a lot of money, and I can go back and finish school if I want to. I can invest in a business, whatever it may be. So that's just where we were for so long. And I used to be, you know, someone who loves college basketball. I used to be worried about that because college basketball became no longer really attractive for guys who weren't using it as a stepping stone to the NBA.
Speaker 2: And that's why you had guys just decide to you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a good experience and appreciate the fans and appreciate the free education, but look, I'm gonna move on.
Speaker 2: So it was a worry.
Speaker 3: Well, now you have really good players who know they're going to get drafted, but say, yeah, I'm gonna wait because I got I got a better opportunity financially to come back to college.
Speaker 2: And that's why.
Speaker 3: And maybe I'm a little bias because I love college hoops so much, but I don't think there's an argument college basketball has benefited from this new world more than anybody, meaning more, I guess more than any other sport, because you have a better product with college basketball because better players who may not ever sniff the NBA, they're now not going to play in Turkey or Japan or Spain. And there's no I mean, I think it's insane to knock anybody who's making any kind of a living playing a sport that's something we all probably as kids dream we could do, and it's not reality for a lot of us. So anyways, I'm not knocking those guys for doing that, but that led to, you know, the college basketball product is not being as good. So anyway, so take away be a real shocker if he doesn't decide to come back to Kentucky. But we shall see what I want to get to coming up on the other side, the new revenue sharing model in the ACC. That was a big deal, and when that news broke a couple months back, that they are in order to kind of ease the tension between Clemson and Florida State with their lawsuits and basically realizing, hey, we shouldn't you know, we're already getting left behind by schools in our own state that are in the SEC or the big ten or whatever it may be. And you know we don't like that, so how about we You know, basically, they wanted to get more of what they actually brought in as far as value and revenue, and there's an updated breakdown as far as what that looks like. And I would be shocked. Dare I say this that the ACC might be trendsetters here because I think with you now having to share so much revenue, I mean twenty million more, I think it's more than that. A little bit over twenty million is now going to have to be shared with student athletes. That's never you got an annual twenty plus million dollar bill that didn't used to be there. So you're going to do everything you can to try to watch spending and really look out for the amount of money you're bringing in. And I think other leagues will see, hey, you know, we got plenty of money here at Alabama and we're not hurting, but I don't like how Vandy's getting the same rev share we are, Like, I think you're gonna see other conferences force the issue, and it won't. It won't create some crazy shakeup, I don't think. Because if you're bandy in the sec.
Speaker 2: If you are.
Speaker 3: Rutgers in the Big ten, what's your option If they tell you, yeah, you're just gonna get a lesser piece of the pie because you're not bringing in the value based off the results. What are they gonna do? Leave and go to a new conference. Even if they get cut off at the kne to an extent as far as an equal share, they're still just they still know they're lucky to be in the Big ten of the ACC because you know, they don't really add any value, which is why they would have to understand. You know, as long as we can still just have a seat at the table, we'll eat the scraps, We'll eat your crumbs, because you know, that's actually a better life than if we had to go be in the American Conference or the Sunbelt or something like that. So I want to get into that at the four o'clock hour. So we'll do that, but we'll come back and wrap up our first hour. On the other side, it's coffee and company. Bil about Thornton right here on Sports Talk seven ninety