Speaker 1: Five hundred. We did it. We made it to five hundred. Inside the Paint Podcast. I don't know how that's even possible. It seems to be. The reaction I'm getting the most is I can't believe that that's actually true, which you know we all saw coming right whenever Camp, you're new enough, Landon, You're you're you've done the majority of them, like you totally knew we were getting a five hundred, right.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, that's absolutely what I thought when you yelled at me about Billy Preston if he should or should not play against Kentucky in my first half show. It's like, this has a long future. That is what I was gonna ask.
Speaker 1: I'll get to I was gonna ask you guys' impressions and all that. We're gonna do a little intro that pays tribute to itp Today show number five hundred of this show which began. So the first episode of Inside the Paint was in January of twenty fourteen. The first game we recapped was Kansas feeding Oklahoma. I'm freshman Wayne Selden's best game of his season to kickoff conference play. And now you fast forward twelve calendar years later, and here we are in twenty twenty five or eleven calendar years later, twelve different years, and yeah, five hundred shows and this is being recorded. So I was eighteen years old whenever I did the first ITP, and we're recording this. By the time you're listening to this, it will drop the day of my thirtieth birthday. So I literally did ITP for my whole twenties and land and you're on your way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm halfway through almost five years old. Pay off five seasons of KU basketball in my twenties. I started this when I was what seventeen, I think, Yeah, hopped on in season five and I'm twenty four. He turned in twenty five later this year, so it's been it's been a while.
Speaker 1: I'm getting there, Cam, you have I was gonna ask your first memory of ITP Landon gave his me yelling a him Billy Preston, which, of course that was very, very important because as we know Billy Preston so.
Speaker 3: Many minutes Camp shot out to Nicole player.
Speaker 1: So Cam correct and all that would be perfectly fine. Now, what is what is your first impression of ITP? And uh and yeah, here you are wrapping up your first season.
Speaker 3: I don't remember how I found Inside the Paint. Actually, I genuinely don't remember. I think I just went on Twitter and started like looking up Kansas basketball, and I think I found Rock Shock Blog. But no, I the only thing that I remember my dad. I used to My dad would come home from school, he was a school teacher, and I was doing like online classes at the time at home. I just got back from a golf school in Florida, and we would listen to Inside the Paint while getting ready to watch Kansas basketball. So that's the earliest memory I have.
Speaker 1: So I he precedes our ownership of Rock Shock Blog. I that a handful of us that have been on itp have all either written for or take part in ownership. I own part of the domain that we purchased about a year after we started ITP. So Cam you probably if that was what you remembered, you probably picked up on it in about the second season or so, which was right before the Wichita State loss.
Speaker 3: It was definitely in that in that time.
Speaker 1: That's wild. Then Landon you listened for a while and officially, yeah, so Josh and Daniel, the three of us were the were the OG three and those two we were all the same age. We all did the show whenever we were in college in person, and then those two moved on afterwards, we wouldn't be seeing each others frequently, and I needed to find new co hosts because they were far and away ready to be done with IP.
Speaker 3: I was not.
Speaker 1: And Landon, you and I worked together at a fast food job, and you listened to the show out of fandom, and we decided that that you were going to do it with Nick, who was an ask RCB question asker. That's how we found Nick, and that's similar to how we found Cam all those years later. So that's pretty wild. Dan and you you've worked with three different co hosts. Who's your favorite?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Jan Underscore Landreth, you were on this show that one time with Josh, weren't you.
Speaker 2: I've done I've done one or two with Josh and then actually I've done other things with Josh Post and outside of it TP, I'm not post. I'm not done with IP post IP for him, So, uh, I've I've gotten enough Josh a little bit. So yeah, no, it's it's it's probably him. And that was more of a joke just because I wasn't gonna say you Ryan, sorry. I like doing the show with you. Right on show five hundred, I can say I have very much enjoyed my time recording this silly, silly podcast about Bill choking in March with you.
Speaker 1: That's right. Yeah, I wonder which So I have a couple of stats about i TP, and we are going to talk about Kansas in the second round and all that stuff. But we'll get there. Let me, let me, let let us have our moment here. What do you think is the most played drop in it TP history? I have no way of knowing this.
Speaker 2: Ass or damn it, Bill easily ass.
Speaker 1: And they're right next to each other on the dropboard because they're no afthbetical order and obviously A is for and B is for Bill self. So yeah, they're right there. Not to be outdone. I definitely feel like this drop has been pushed a lot. Definitely feel like the gunshot has been pushed a lot. Land and going to Chicago, Yep, I'm going on Monday.
Speaker 3: If you want to ride.
Speaker 1: You had a good glimpse of what your casket's gonna look like. Landon. Oh no, So I reset the mac over the over the weekend. Yeah, now we're dinghy again. I need to go in and shut that down because everybody's gonna look at their phones. I think they got texts. Okay, So here are your IP stats. So we've done five hundred podcasts. I've been on all but four. I'm at four ninety six. There's an anniversary and illness and a couple of vacations. Those are the only things that have taken me away from this show four ninety six of five hundred, Land, and you are in second on the leaderboard at to ninety two of five hundred, you are over fifty percent and you've you're at about ninety percent since you joined the show eight years ago. So you started oh for like one fifty and you've since been on quite a bit two hundred and ninety two. Itps very good, barn Away in second place.
Speaker 2: Wow Show three hundred. For me personally, will be uh, how on earth did did k you only beat like Southern Illinois State by seven despite Darren Pearson's thirty five Yeah, why.
Speaker 3: Did King just lose to Duke in the Champions Classic while Marco Jackson played forty minutes and Darren Peterson played for.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's very true.
Speaker 2: My Darren Peterson is five hundred dealing with a quote unquote ankle injury that seems very suspicious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, coincided today diving on the floor.
Speaker 2: Enough.
Speaker 1: So my five hundredth personal show is four shows from now, so that is going to be the guys, I'm gonna pick the over on thirty two and a half wins next year show. You already know how that's gonna go. Nick is in third at two forty four. He's obviously oh for the last many, but he did two hundred. He almost did two hundred and fifty shows. I remember mentioning that to him. I remember saying, like, you're almost a two fifty. He's like, yeah, right, I don't care. Dais at one twenty six, came back for that last year to leap over Josh who's at one twenty. Cam you are in sixth and pulling away from the pack. You're at thirty three shows now of five hundred. That is a nice seven percent. It's climbing and climbing rapidly. And then Tyler, who was my man on the first season, was in twenty six. And Scott Chason, who's since been rather relatively famous among the journalism crew here in Kansas City Sports has done seven of them with me. That's pretty cool that we've had seven different people be regular hosts on this show. Yeah, those are the numbers. That's you guys make fun of my autism sometimes, there you go, there's the benefit. Now you know how many times you're on ITP in your life.
Speaker 2: Hey, I like that. I like that.
Speaker 3: That's a good one autistic trait.
Speaker 1: I think so over that five hundred shows, we have recapped four hundred and twelve Kansas Games. So somehow we have done eighty eight shows that did not have a recap. This one is one of them. I don't know how there's been that many. I would have guessed that we're maybe about forty, not eighty eight. Four hundred and twelve Kansas games. They are three hundred, nineteen and ninety three in those four hundred and twelve games, seven Big Twelve titles, three Big Twelve tournaments, two final fours, and a national title. We've also covered ten NCAA tournament losses and uh and what did I write? One hundred?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Land and you and I you you made one hundred and twelve appearances at my house that is what that number is. Oh really because virtually, yes, one hundred and twelve times you came over to my house and we recorded with those nineteen eighties esque boom mics in my room.
Speaker 2: Hey, I often think back on those days with great fondness. I loved doing that. That's actually like, that's a wild stat to have. That's like when like the jokes people make about like, oh, when you get to Heaven, I want to know how many cups of coffee I drank. That's like pretty akin to that, But I like I have a lot. I genuinely do have a lot of memories of that though, Like I watched UMBC beat Virginia in your room. I watched Fond Digs have the walk off touchdown against the Saints at your house. Yeah, there was those were not the only ones. I'm sure I'm forgetting others as well, but there was a lot of fun stuff that happened there.
Speaker 1: And that eighty eight degree bedroom because my it was thyroid. Oh the heat, yeah, yeah, around the little the the sketchy table that was just in our hallway holding the laundry basket that we'd wheel in there to put the money. Oh, that's there's a reason. You could shoot the bullets that Landon may have to deal with soon through it, and it would still be standing after all those years carrying your.
Speaker 2: Your family's dining room chairs up your stairs.
Speaker 1: In your room exactly because I didn't keep giant chairs in my twelve x twelve child in bedroom. And then yeah, that's so, that's a little look behind the scenes. I did actually just for you guys. So I asked the three primary co hosts that were on this show to ask. I asked them to give me a message if they have any words that they wanted transcribed over the airwaves for their five hundred show. Who would you like to hear from first? Because I have three different notes.
Speaker 2: I think Daniel has to be last, because I think Daniel has the will have something the most outrageous to say.
Speaker 1: Correct, that is the case, Cam, Who do you want first?
Speaker 3: I want Nick?
Speaker 1: Okay, let's lead off with Nick.
Speaker 2: Who did I think this is the right order?
Speaker 1: Nick did seven seasons of this show, and of everybody I've ever worked with, Nick as somebody who misses this show the least like I thought fully, it's close when Nick left and Cam and Landon at that point, Landon didn't know how what his role would be like for this year, and Cam was obviously brand new, so I had no idea if he'd hate it and run. And I remember asking Nick like, hey, you know, if I ever need a co host, would you be interested in doing a show or two? And he is just a said no, I'm good. I'm totally good man. I did my thing. And you'll hear in his notes here. It really is something when you compare Bill selves to Climate Kansas to the Inside the Paint podcast. Each had a really successful run but may have worn out. It's welcome. I won't forget the mountaintop of covering and nowtional title. In twenty twenty two, things seem to have gotten progressively worse for both Ku and the podcast since that exact moment. I am glad to have gotten out when I get and then and then He also says you should do a fun segment about the changes from episode one to five hundred. Daniel got married and had a kid, Josh and Ryan both got married. Landon, he's gotten a little bit older. I guess, question Mark.
Speaker 2: Well, me too, buddy.
Speaker 3: That is funny. Yeah, nickled water everywhere. Oh there goes the podcast.
Speaker 2: Boys, do we need.
Speaker 3: Of the last bed is the couch because my girlfriend's sick and I just really, dude, it feel like I've pissed my pants, kind of like what Kansas did the tournament. I'm upset.
Speaker 2: Everything.
Speaker 3: Nick just said, Yeah, Nick, your segment was great, but I just ruined a couch.
Speaker 1: So here is what Josh said. Who Josh and I were childhood friends. We grew up at the same school, and we started a Chiefs podcast way before any and Josh has obviously gone on to have a successful career in kansasity radio and media. And it all began on at Mid American Azarine in the radio room with the two of us doing a KU and a Chiefs podcast way back as college freshmen. So this is Josh's phrase. I can't read the first word because it's an expletive.
Speaker 2: He said.
Speaker 1: That's the first thing that came to mind. Five hundred seems impossible. It's legitimately crazy number, and I'm glad you guys have kept it rolling. You guys should thank Kansas Men's Basketball for ensuring that your five hundredth episode is a low stress affair. Imagine how annoying it would be to have to talk about at Sweet sixteen and episode five hundred, which I then pointed out that we tracked at the beginning of the year and realized that we were on an asteroid collision course with the Round of thirty two Law Show and they didn't even make it that far. Josh says, ITP's original soundboard and jingles still live in my head, and I cannot wait to see what Perry Ellis does for Kansas next season. We did cover a lot of Harry Elis. I vividly remember all the all the Perry Ellis comments, you know, all twelve that's for me. So yeah, Josh is the most successful radio wise of anyone that's come out of this show. And then there's Daniel, who kind of like Nick, did the show for four years and then was very quickly like, nah, I did my thing. I'm ready to have a successful career and have a child and be a family man. Daniel came in in the end of the first season and we were like, this is this is the perfect fit. Let's let's make this a three man show next year. So here's what Daniel says. He says, holy crap, five hundred shows ITP making it to five hundred is a remarkable achievement. Had somebody told me way back when we were in college, you'd still be doing this show in your thirties, Ryan, Well, I wouldn't have been even a little bit surprised.
Speaker 3: Daniel appreciate that Chargers says, I he.
Speaker 1: Said, I want it. He says, I want it. Noted that ITP both made Joshua bro and whatever that show was that we were always going back and forth with in terms of podcasting our ranking. They can kiss my ass a little behind the scenes there ITP and a Bo Maddingly of all things Arkansas Razorback Sports Podcast, and those two shows went back and forth on the sports leaderboard for the most listened to shows on our original hosting website. Daniel hated Beau Maddingly and Arkansas. Glad to see that Kansas has given us a lot of reasons to feel better there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the rivalry continues all these years later.
Speaker 1: Daniel also says that it is good to know that even though I'm not on ITP my drops levon forever and the legendary come come on, Oh it connected to my AirPods that dropped the dam drop that is Daniel screaming into the microphone, as is Bill sucks, as.
Speaker 3: Is Bill stubborn, ass as is coach Bill Sell.
Speaker 1: Oh that's twice I'm organized on this show. And of course, you guys, remember captain of the boob Committee, hard On Perry ellis all the one that are no longer on this board because we haven't used them in a while. Daniel lives on. There you go, there's your trip down memory lane. Five hundred ITPS, and we're gonna celebrate it by talking about everything that's happened in the NCAA tournament that doesn't involve our favorite team. This is ITP five hundred. I Brian Landris, I'm.
Speaker 2: Worse than all the hosts that were just mentioned, and.
Speaker 3: I'm cam and yeah, I'm on the track to being a complete loser. Hey, fun, fat guys. In eighty five hundred, because it's the show five hundred, here's the fact of the week. Eighty five hundred. Clovis, the founder of the Frankish state, conquered most of France and Belgium, converting territories to Western Catholic Christianity. And that's pretty much all that happened in eighty five hundred.
Speaker 1: I like how you looked that up. That's really cool. So what you're saying is, whenever it is twenty seventy five and we are talking about show twenty twenty four, yeah, you're going to pull up that fact about in twenty twenty four that Ryan said blah blah blah about Hunter Dickinson and dal Gonzaga blows and guts you.
Speaker 3: Beat who We'll all be dead by robots by then, Yeah, that's.
Speaker 1: That's probably true. Well, we're going to uh, we're gonna the Kansas recap. It could have featured around a thirty two win or even a loss, but they didn't make it that far. So instead, what better way to celebrate five hundred than just to talk about the legacy of the worst team in the history of the Bill Self era. That sounds great, okay, and as only ITP would have it. We're having all sorts of soundboard problems there we go. Only in the five hundred show would those come back? Okay? Kansas News the portal opened, nobody has put their name in it, nobody has committed to Kansas yet, doesn't mean it won't happen. Probably have it before the next show, but nothing yet. So instead I gave you guys a little homework assignment because we need to talk a little bit about Kansas and this team. What are, in your opinion, in order, the top three reasons why this year's team was such a chronic failure. Who wants to go first? As they both realized that the homework assignment? Did they?
Speaker 3: That's that I genuinely did not. But I have this.
Speaker 1: I absolutely did, and I I can you remember this.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna make I do Pepperidge Farms remembers.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Land and can go last cam Since you knew about it, you definitely already have these written down right.
Speaker 3: No, I don't, but I can go off top of that because I knew this. I knew this back in like January.
Speaker 1: Number one.
Speaker 3: First problem, do you want to hear his point guard was not a stotting stotting Wow, I sound like a Boston moron. Not a starting quality point guard for any Power five schools.
Speaker 2: Got for the Kansas Jayhawks were talking about huh.
Speaker 3: That is Blowhawks. No, he couldn't start for them. I don't think that. I think that was problem number one. Problem Number two lack of leadership. Yeah, the oldest camp you arguably the oldest team in college basketball minus maybe the twenty seventh year Mormons that have played for BYU. And they couldn't inbound a basketball, and yeah, creating counts too. They couldn't inbound a basketball to save their lives if when they're playing Houston Hell and the amount of games they lost that were essential coin flip games that it seemed like Bill self used to always win, that was a large part of the problem. Then last I would say it just the overall construction of the entire roster sucked. I mean, like we even I can't remember who said it, but at the start of the season, or maybe at the midpoint, like during the summer when you guys did a show, the thought of kids is trying again to form a team around the same three guys that had lost you know, X amount of games the year before just seemed like, you know, maybe maybe it wouldn't work out. And Bill self banked on that working going and just getting big names in the portal and honestly did a terrible job of evaluating players in the portal and it all flopped. That's I think what happened.
Speaker 1: Okay, Landing, where do you get it wrong?
Speaker 2: I have a very hard time disagreeing with any of those. To be quite honest, I would say the main reason that this team did not work is the roster. I think that the roster is the main reason why any team succeeds or fails in any sport at all. Now, I mean, obviously coaching and system are very important, more or less depending on which sport you're talking about. In this case, you know, the Kansas basketball program in the year twenty twenty five. Obviously there was system fit and all that. But I do think the roster, it's general construction, it's general fit as a whole, was massively a problem. I do think lack of leadership is a really good way to put that. We did talk about that at different times this season. I think that could also be defined as like lack of clutch. Those two things go hand in hand, though. If you have a better leadership, you're better in the clutch moments. But this team could not close a game to save their lives. They just did not have a guy to hand the ball to and say, hey, win this one for us, make a play, make something happen. They just didn't have that. Part of that is a J. Stewart didn't become anything. Part of that is Zeke Mayo tried and wasn't very good at that. Part that dwe Harris has never been that guy in his life. kJ Adams has never been that guy in his life. Hudter Dickinson's a really good scorer, but his skill set does not lend itself to that. And obviously those are things also we talk about all year. I'd say that's number two. Number three. I have a hot take that I could do just for takes, or I could try to come up with a more realistic third option for for the takes. I'm gonna say Bill self is starting a slow decline. He's not over. It's not it's not done. But I do think I think there's a real chance that that that Bills a little bit over the hill.
Speaker 1: I could see that, Okay, all right, I I I mean, I think my list is pretty similar to both of yours. The number one thing is roster construction. I think that's a pretty obvious one. You put together a roster around three returning pieces that didn't lead you to a lot of wins last year, and they all clearly had weaknesses despite being individual pretty good or really good basketball players, So you brought pieces in that you thought would just be better versions of what you had last year. They looked at Johnny Furfey and Nick Timberlake and Kevin McCuller and said, what if we get better versions of exactly those players? AJ store was going to be Kevin McCuller the driver that could knock down an occasional shot and get to the points on the perimeter, and Nick Timberlake and Johnny Furfey were gonna be replaced by Ryland Griffin and David Quit. There we go. We got the shooter. Or maybe Zeke Mayo and Ryley Griffin are the Timberlake and Furfey. We'll just make them better.
Speaker 2: Was your al Marco Jackson replacement exactly? Yep.
Speaker 1: Bill self essentially looked at the roster last year and thought, their only reason it didn't work is because Nick Timberlake sucked and Kevin McCuller got hurt. We were pretty good. Other than that, I'll just replace those guys with guys who are likely to be as good as they were and will be a really good basketball team. And that didn't work. And I think that you look at the one, four, and five and how they fit together, and that wound up being the thing that sunky in the end. Look at the last four minutes of the Arkansas game number two, the point guard play. Dwan Harris regressed in each of his last three seasons. He did very good things, and I don't think that his legacy will be fair. Somebody on Twitter once said that if he plays out his exact career on the opposite order, this is the first season, and then the national title is year three or four, then he's remembered as a legend. And I think that's an interesting point because he's still accomplished all of the things that he would in that reverse order universe, but he would be remembered much differently. He clearly proved himself as a guy who shouldn't have been leading a team with thirty five minutes a game over his last three seasons. It didn't work. Bill self continuously calls him a winner, and all they did was lose for their standards in the last two years of his tenure. I don't get that. And the third thing Landon I agree, it's coaching. I think it's coaching. You took a roster that had all the talent in the world, on it. Why did you bring aj Store in if you weren't gonna play him whenever his confidence goes out. Hey, look at the Arkansas game. Aj Store scored eleven first half points and self didn't play him in the second half.
Speaker 3: Like what what is that?
Speaker 1: Like? kJ Adams was not gonna at the four. That wasn't going to work in modern college basketball to feed the post, feed the post to a guy that's double team because Kj's right there, Like, coaching has a part of it. He recruited this roster, which we agree is the biggest reason that it didn't go well. But this roster had talent and everybody knew that it had talent. And then he took through their coaching staff, Rylan Griffin, he got worse. Aj Stort got worse. Stwan Harris got worse. Like I think coaching is a huge part of it too, And ultimately it was just a perfect storm. Very rarely are we sitting here talking about a Kansas team with poor roster construction, And even more rarely are we sitting here talking about Kansas teams that have poor coaching could have just all hit the fan at once. You think Bill selves getting a little wash Land and you've said that Cam, you've been skeptical of that. Are you in agreement that this next year is gonna tell you a lot about that? If they go twenty three and twelve with a whole different roster, are we going, Oh boy, it's like John Caliperry all over again.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think with each year, if this happens again, if you have another.
Speaker 3: Year where you lose.
Speaker 2: Ten or more games, I do think you have to start saying at least that Bill self can't do it in the Portal era. If it happens again, If they come in next year and they go thirty three and five or whatever, and they're great and they're absolute world beaters, then I'll eat my words happily. I hope that's true. That'd be a lot of fun, and they're gonna have some very talented players on that team to do so, I think, But I don't know. I mean, I'm not in the room with Bill. I'm not saying Bill's like Bill as sharp as attack, I'm sure, but I don't know. The Portal ayeras is different. And there's a reason why you see some coaches just like retiring out of nothing because they hate coaching, Like this. They don't like it. I can't even say that I blame them. It's very different, and I'm sure it's like so much harder than it ever has been in their career and so much different, and players have much different expectations of coming to schools, especially big schools like Kansas that have premiere programs historically premiere programs. So it's a whole different animal. And can't, I can't. That's not Bill's fault. It's not Bill's fault at all. That it's a different animal. Some guys are just built fort and some aren't, and Bill might just not be super built for it.
Speaker 1: So if you go back and you look at the rankings in the final AP poll five years ago, which was right before they shut everything down due to COVID, it's really really interesting looking at the coaches of these teams and how many have walked away because they are just not dealing with the portal anymore. At the very top, I mean, just going straight down the list, you have John Caliperi got put four, stat of Lexington, Mike Shostavski retired, Roy Williams retired, Tony retired, Bruce Pearl is thriving, Calvin Samson is thriving, Scott Drew still still doing well, Mark few Bill self, those guys Leonard Hamilton retired, Tom Izzo's.
Speaker 2: Leonard Hamilton coach, K and Roy are all like a thousand years old?
Speaker 1: Correct, They also walked away and all sided. Man, I hate the portal like all Jim Behines also in this list, like those are the guys that walked away just being over the portal. So we'll see. I want to talk about Dickinson. I'll come back to him. We officially got word on Sunday that kJ Adams did in fact as everybody knew, but it was made official to wear his achilles at the end of the Kansas Arkansas game. He had successful surgery on Wednesday morning and will need several months to recover and rehab. So my question for you, Cam is the legacy of Dewan Harris and kJ Adams. Are they grouped together or do you think that they are in your mind at least? Do they have different legacies?
Speaker 3: I think they are different because their expectations were different, and I mean fans never expected kJ Adams to lead the team to a Final four and Dwan Harris was supposedly going to be another great Kansas point guard, and he's the one that had the ball in his hands the majority of the time. It was very clear to everyone that watched that kJ Adams was not a player that you know, was going to consistently put up double double numbers, and yet he still played those minutes. But no, Dewan Harris, I think is a little bit different. He was the point guard. He was the one that was in control of the offense. Quite honestly, like watching other teams play in the NCAA Tournament, the Kansas led or the Dewan Harris leading Kansas Jayhawks, like, the offense just was so stagnant when he had the ball. I mean, it just looks so archaic compared to what other teams were doing. And I think it just comes back to the fact that he wasn't a scoring threat. And again, kJ was not supposed to be thirty five minutes a guy, you know, thirty five minutes a game guy. But that's what he was. And I think it's slightly different. Is based off expectation level.
Speaker 1: Landon. I don't know about you, but I don't even think it's close. If you ask me, who has the better legacy it's Dewan Harris. He's a national champion point guard that started every NCAA tournament game. I'm not here to say that he should have his name hung in the rafters, but I don't even think it's close. kJ Adams will be remembered for his heart and how much he loved Kansas. That's great. kJ Adams will be remembered favorably for a lot of Kansas fans. I think more people are gonna remember kJ favorably than to one. I think that's wrong. I think the one should be the one remembered more fondly because he is a national champion point guard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is very true. From technically, kJ Adams is also a national champion, though of course did not really play.
Speaker 1: He didn't score in the NCAA tournament, but was still on that team. Yeah, a very different role.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, very He did not play, did not factor into that rotation almost at all. Yeah, I think I think from that perspective for sure, I agree. I would say just to play devil's advocate. Look at it this way. Also, though, kJ Adams had a year as the primary starting five man on a one seed for Kansas, on a team that was quite good, and that was his best season where he was the five. We all thought there were some problems with his size and his rebounding, and there were, and he played with one of the best, if not just the best rebounding non five men in the Bill Self era with Jalen Wilson. All that's true, but he was good. He was better when used correctly. kJ Adams is more of a victim of just like his skill sets just kind of wonky. No one thinks he's bad. He just is an oddity, if you will, of a player. Whereas like Dwan Harris, We've seen guys like Dewan Harris be really good, like you don't theoretically, you don't have to be an elite shooter to be a good point guard. It's awesome if you are, you don't have.
Speaker 1: Louisville had Peyton Seve at average like eight points a game in their national championship run. That's always the guy I compared to Harris, the defense first ballhandler that could have came agely shoot the ball, and he's he's a legend at Louisville. Didn't score but was a legend.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Whereas Harris like that play that play style, that that player type has worked, and it just never really did for Harris when he was the guy, except for when he was surrounded by three future NBA players plus a guy that was a two thousand point scorer in college, like two of them. Yeah, like it very strange, very strange that for Harris it just never quite functioned the way that it should have. Obviously, there's games and there's moments, because he's not an outrightly bad basketball player by any stretch. He's quite a good basketball player all things considered. But I don't know. I think Dewe Harris has a little more. I think kJ is more of a product of the system, both good and bad, whereas Dewan Harris could have swayed or changed that system, should have been able to a little bit more and didn't. And I do think that's interesting. And that's not even an indictment on him. I agree that he is a national champion, was a huge contributor on a national championship winning squad, and that is certainly something very proud of. If you're de one Harris, you should be. But I don't know, I just think that's kind of that's interesting. Harris is a player that more often than not, like should work and just kind of didn't, or at least did not to the extent that he should have.
Speaker 1: See, I mostly agree with you. The thing that's throwing me off a little bit is when people say, I agree one hundred percent of what you said about kJ kJ was had a wonky skill set and was a product of the system. So therefore, in a way, you kind of got as much as you could have asked out of him. I think they more than got what they could have asked out of Dewan Harris. I think he had a very low ceiling and they got him to be a national championship point guard that still was a solid point guard that started for four years and or for at least three years was a starter. No was four it was four years. Uh, And I think you can look at to one Harris and say that guy should have never been playing more than fifth team minutes a game. The fact that he got to this level, yeah, they milked it dry quite a bit. But but just the fact that Dewan got to this level, I think is is I don't think you ever could have expected that. They both definitely played a bigger role than I think they should have, and I'm surprised that they weren't both recruited over more than they were. Obviously, we know the coach has a lot of loyalty to both of them, but we're both in agreement now that the dust have settled. It didn't work with these guys being the primary pieces. They obviously didn't win as much as you're used to, But neither neither kJ Adams nor Dewan Harris deserves to have anything but a positive legacy for what they accomplished for Kansas. Right. They don't have to be DeVante Graham and Jalen Wilson to for them to be remembered as valuable pieces that helped Kansas win a championship and helped them win a lot of games over the run, even if it didn't work like we had hoped in the end. Is that fair?
Speaker 3: I think so? I mean, I agree, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Then let's talk about Hunt because I'm gonna give you my take. I've thought about this for several days because anyone who's listening to the show knows what I think of Hunter Dickinson. I'm probably the highest of any of the of the of the blogs on Twitter that tweeked their thoughts whatever. Here's what I think, because his last half at Kansas was undoubtedly is worst, and you guys are better than I am at criticized at seeing his fault, so I'm curious what you think. This is what I think. Hunter Dickinson's legacy will be far more negative than either Dewan Harris or kJ Adams. He will be remembered as a guy who was a front runner, just showed up and posted a lot of stats, collected a big nil check and not what I think. But this is how he will be remembered. Someone who didn't really care, someone who is lazy, someone who didn't really give it everything he had and didn't get any better at Kansas. I don't think that's fair, But I think in the end, his legacy is a guy who came in and had scored a lot of stats but hadn't won anything. That is what his legacy will be. The two worst statistical teams of the Bill Self era happened with Hunter Dickinson as their leading scorer. I personally believe that anyone who says Hunter Dickinson was lazy, I don't think that's true. I think you just see a seven foot two, slow white guy out there who's not super athletic, and it looks like he's lazy. I think he's playing his ass off out there. I think he cares. He took way more accountability than anyone else. I think he absolutely cared about Kansas and gave it everything he had. It just didn't work. It's not a skill set. I think Hunter Dickinson was screwed over by poor roster construction. I think if you put him on a team like uh Texas Tech, you replaces JT. Top with Hunter Dickinson. With those shooters around him, I think he is a monster. You could say he was a monster. They may miss the tournament both years he's here if he's not on the roster, that's how important he was. The problem was never Hunter Dickinson. Landon will tell you he's a floor set or not a ceiling center. I think that's true. Hunter Dickinson didn't make the players around him better, and you expect all America caliber players, which he is by definition, to make their surround and cast better. I also don't think that they did him any favors with the talent around him, and I think that with a little better roster construction. If he was put on one of Udoka as a Bouquet's teams, I think we're talking about one of the greatest centers to play for Bill Self, and I think that the effort and hustle thing, I think that's just idiotic. That's just looking at a guy who's just not super athletic. So it's easy to say where'd I get. In the end, Hunter Dickinson will have a negative legacy, about as negative as any Bill Self player ever. And you can, at the end of the day say he didn't produce when it mattered most, he didn't will as team to victory enough considering what he had done a lot accolade wise, that's his legacy. I think it's a little bit unfair. I think there's more to it than that, but that is, ultimately, unfortunately, what I think his legacy will be.
Speaker 2: I think that Hunter Dickinson will largely be a victim part well, I'm not a victim of his own greatness. I'm trying to think of the best way to phrase this, So that's not it Dickinson. There will be a slight like Lebron effect happening with Hunter Dickinson, and that he's really really good, so people like to point out his flaws to show that he's not perfect. That is true. There's a there's a hypercriticalness that happens with Hunter Dickinson. Partly, I think that's fair because he is a player that is supposed to be really good, So you should be really good. If you're gonna if you're gonna be really really good and gonna be the best player on a Kansas team, then the expectation is high. I think Hunter Dickinson is squarely an overwhelmingly mixed bag. Obviously a great scorer, undeniably a great scorer. I actually think he's quite an overrated rebounder. If we're really getting into it, I think he gets a lot of free boards. Not to say he never wrestled one away or anything or had good position. I don't think the guy boxes out very well. I don't think he's like in a very intelligent rebounder most of the time. He does have some good plays. Don't get me wrong, he has good rebounds. I don't think he's good A rebounder is averaging a double double. I think a lot of those are I'm seven to two and a lot of people bail at the first sign of the ball hitting in the back of the iron. Maybe I'm wrong. I think Hunter Dickinson can't defend a ball screen half the time, which is kind of a devastatingly like tough skill set to have. I don't think he was an instinctive defender in space at all. I mean that was well detailed. A lot of teams took all sorts of advantage of that. Does that make him the worst player in the history of the bill selfair, No, not by any stretch. I think the effort claims are crazy. Yeah, he has a certain mindset that isn't honestly, is not my cup of tea all the time, and I know it's not a lot of people's cup of tea a lot of the time. And I think that's fair. I think some of that's fun. I think you also get what you ask for. If you're gonna put your forearm in front of your crotch every time you make a big shot, you got to live with what you get a little bit like you're asking for it at that point to an extent. That doesn't excuse like some of the outrightly like heinous being directed his way, either that's crazy. Don't do that. If you're out there doing that, don't stop. That's you're terrible.
Speaker 1: Do you think Hunter Dickinson gave What do you think of his effort? Do you think he didn't care?
Speaker 2: I think he cared. I think he cared, and again I think that. I think his demeanor is just different. Also, he's a transfer, and that doesn't mean transfers can't care exactly, it's it's just his demeanor. He just carries himself in a different way. And that's fine. Not everyone's gonna be Frank Mason. As far as they're just outright active, like visible intensity, that's okay. I think he cared, but I do think he is. He is squarely mixed bag. And I think a guy like Udoka as a bookie. Like if you switch in this hypothetical, if you switch Hunter Dickinson for Udoka on the seventeen eighteen team or on the nineteen twenty team, I don't think those teams go twenty three and twelve, but I think they're very different teams. I think Udoka had a skill set that perfectly fit exactly what those teams needed, and Hunter doesn't. They would have been good, but they would have been very different teams, and they would have had flaws a lot more of them. I think Udoka is a very underrated player. He wasn't a guy that averaged eighteen a night, but he was a perfect skill set for what those teams had, and Hunter would have been extremely different on those teams. So I don't know. I think Hunter Dickinson's Ddrich Lawson in all the good and bad ways.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think it's very fair. Cam. My question for you about Hunter is the thing that it's okay to admit that Hunter Dickinson didn't work out at Kansas like Bill self and the fans hoped it would. They thought that it would lead to Nay Smith's They thought that it would lead to much better than the tournament success. He won one tournament game in his two years here. But it's a decision that, in my opinion, I want you to tell me if I'm right or not. It's a decision that you absolutely make, one hundred times out of one hundred when you have an All American center who is a walking double double that says they want to play for you, and you clean out whoever you have at the five. Everybody's banging the Zubi edge of four drum should have kept. Zubi edge of four should.
Speaker 2: Have kept during a studay.
Speaker 1: They did the right thing, saying sorry, guys, but we got Hunter Dickinson coming in here for probably two years, and that was the right call. It didn't work out the way that they necessarily hoped it would. But you got a seventeen to ten guy that wants to come in here and play at the center, you make that call ten times out of ten.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it was the right call, But the wrong call was surrounding him with players that don't work well with his style. I mean, you couldn't. You couldn't watch him play at Michigan and think that having a non scoring point guard combined with a small forward or a power forward that's undersized and can't shoot with a slower paced offense would lead to tons of success in modern college basketball, like the fit in High Hindsight's twenty twenty. But the fit made zero sense based off of what self thought he was going to do with his current roster with Dwan, Harris, kJ Adams, and I guess Kevin mcculer. They were fine with Kevin McCuller. I still don't think that team would have really done anything had Kevin McCuller stayed healthy. I genuinely think they lose in the second round. But three, I think it.
Speaker 1: Goes a long way, and this year's team had the three.
Speaker 3: It does not the D Yeah, it does. But at the same time, I mean, I still think I think Hunter Nickson was a good player, But I also think that a lot of it will be looked at as empty stats, and I think that's actually fair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's that's what makes it so interesting, I seeing the way different people view the legacies. All right, well that's your Kansas News. Let's now go into our recap. We've been we've been having some to luck with the one take shows. Let's keep that. Let's keep that rocking and rolling. Uh, well, let's recap the second round, talk about the coaching carousel and do ASKCARCV and then we have an activity. Oh, it's another activity. This will be fun. Let's let's let's keep it going. So in the NCAA tournament, where we're looking at all these fun sweet sixteen matchups that nobody gets, nobody that we care about is still playing, just kind of breezing through what's happened? Auburn beat Creighton and the Tigers are gonna play five seed Michigan, who came back and beat number four Texas A and M. Cam, I know that you allegedly had some currency here. Did it end the way you wanted or not?
Speaker 3: It did?
Speaker 1: All right? Look at you? You bet on Dusty May and he put together a nice comeback Landon giving proof that Texas A and M is the same and always will be the same in all sports.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's some kind of Sisspician curse or something. I don't know whether they are destined to be good but not great every single time.
Speaker 1: Probably the biggest, I think the most impressive performance of the second round belongs to number six Old Miss who just flat out destroyed Iowa State. Chris Beard takes the Rebels to the second weekend of the tournament. Game was never close. I know, i Always State didn't have Keyshawn Gilbert, but surprise, surprise, Iowa State lost as a favorite in the NCAA's and Cam, I know you don't like Chris Beard very much, but I think you're gonna have to root for him because he's taken on number two Michigan State who came back and beat Rick Patino's new Mexico team by eight in the round of thirty two. So that leads four teams still left in the South. Number one Auburn versus Number five Michigan. Do we all like the Tigers to get to an elite eight?
Speaker 3: I do? I don't. Actually, I think Michigan wins this game.
Speaker 1: Wow, all right, that'd be a nine point dog. Will you be allegedly wagering anything on it? No, not that confident. I like how you like Cam's been good and pick him this year. So there's some betting advice. And then in the bottom part a much closer spread. Do we like tom Izzo's chances to get to the round of eight? Do they beat Ole Miss?
Speaker 2: I think they do.
Speaker 1: I think Michigan State gets by this good coaching matchup.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think Michigan State wins this one.
Speaker 2: I did too.
Speaker 1: I think Auburn will eventually go to the Final four. But I think Auburn and Michigan State are clearly the two the teams in control of the South. Okay, somebody else take the East. Let's let's let's pass the baton and this rapid fire round of thirty two recap.
Speaker 2: I had it again that skipped. Okay, here we go Duke maybe Baylor by twenty three Arizona Oregon played an entertaining game that I did not get to see, But Arizona gets the eighty seven eighty three win over the Ducks. In a Pac twelve throwback, They'll take on Duke in Sweet sixteen. Number six b Yu a great call for all of us, played a yep, absolutely barn burner against number three Wisconsin, incredibly entertaining game that was a great one, really really fun watch ninety one eighty nine for the Coogs. And then Alabama held Saint Mary's to sixty six. I think it's probably more of an indictment on Saint Mary's than it is great defense for Alabama. The Crimson Tide get a win and they get a date with with BYU, who might hang triple digits on him. We like Duke Arizona, BYU Alabama, who's going to the lad eight in the East.
Speaker 1: What is the over under and the over under in BYU Bama is one hundred and seventy six. It's an NBA esque bet. They're thinking that at least one team gets them into the nineties. I am going with Duke to beat Arizona, although Caleb Love does own this month. He scored twenty seven against Oregon and he's done it to Duke in this tournament before. I think Duke wins a close, close game there, and then I'm gonna go with BYU to take down Alabama as I had in my original bracket. I think BYU can defend when they need to, and I don't think Alabama can, and I think it gets them here. I'm going with a Blue Devils versus BYU Elite eight.
Speaker 2: I originally picked Alabama. I am gonna flip that to BYU and I will go Duke, Duke and the Kougs.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go with Chalk here. I'm gonna go Duke and Bama.
Speaker 1: Who wins a Duke Bama Elite eight game because I think I would give the edge to Bama here. I know that sounds crazy, but I like the coaching matchup, and there's also the Cooper Flag advantage, which I think Landon likes.
Speaker 2: I very much do. Also, Tyres Proctor and Kon Knippel are really good players in their own right.
Speaker 1: Cooper Flag, it's pretty amazing how he was wheeled off the court like a week ago, and he's out there. It's almost like what happened to the big dorky why guy last year who got so injured in the court storm and limped off, and now then he was perfectly fine a few days later.
Speaker 3: It's so duke it hurts pretty much checks out.
Speaker 2: We do in the.
Speaker 1: Midwest wouldn't be ip without this. Oh well, I.
Speaker 2: Don't think on cam as much as some have been, but.
Speaker 3: You know, yeah, I'm in the Midwest, home of cornbred bitches. Ryan's favorite Number one. Houston beat eight seed seventies Gonzaga seventy six. I'm not drunk. Everyone that's listening. I'm like sick and I can't even think right now. We have McNeese, the fighting will Wades that I might have allegedly believed in. They did not lead me to the Promised Land, similar to Brigham Young allegedly did for the Mormons. They got hosed by fourteen seventy six sixty two in Illinois, a popular game that we all picked them to win. They lost to Kentucky eighty four to seventy five. And then Rick Barnes did not Rick Barnes, he won by nine points over UCLA.
Speaker 1: So the takeaways here Landon the takeaways here, I'm sure you'll point out are perdue looked impressive. A lot of people thought they'd be a first, if not second round upset pick. They just breezed past their two games by double digits. Houston passed what might be their biggest test until they get to a Final four by getting again Zagateaine that had made the second weekend like twelve years in a row or ten years in a row or something like that. Houston now the longest active streak with six straight Sweet sixteen's and then Illin. I think if you had, if you had to put put one team as the most disappointing team of this round, it's Illinois. They were favored and they just got destroyed. It was like eighteen to six early and they never caught up. They got they got lambasted in this game.
Speaker 2: I really like the way Kentucky's playing right now, and I will take them to beat Tennessee. No less, I think you're gonna see Kentucky in the Elite eight. I think they are. Dare I say, figuring it out?
Speaker 1: See I disagree. I love picking. You know my strategy good team loses early in the year, pick them in the rematch. Tennessee lost twice to Kentucky. Kentucky beat them twice. I don't think they beat them three times. I think Tennessee and Houston are your Elite eight here, which would be all though we get a lot of one v two Elite eight games. I think this is Houston's region to lose. I don't think it matters which two opponents you throw at them. I think they're going to a Final four, but I will say it's Tennessee.
Speaker 2: I agree that Houston is easily the team to beat out of this region.
Speaker 3: I think he's gonna be Houston Tennessee as well in the Elite Ay, and I believe Houston will win that game.
Speaker 1: You know, Tennessee has never been to a Final four that I learned that every year and it amazes me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they feel like a good enough program. They would have gotten I would have said multiple. I would have predicted they would have gotten several. I mean, I don't know that's several, but three or four.
Speaker 1: Really close last year and lost to Zach Edy. And that matchup is on the table here as well. It could very well happen in the West region, all the ones are still left, all but one of the twos are left, and all but one of the threes are left. No, I guess Iowa State went down. There's two threes left. There's uh three fours left. So who outside the top four is left? We have a ten in our Michigan miss and b Yu yep, so four just four seeds. There's only one double Edgit Seed Arkansas and John Caliperry is your Cinderella. Florida beats Yukon in a thrilling game that came down to the wire, and then Danny, Yeah Hurley, he threw a complete fit.
Speaker 2: Did he?
Speaker 1: Both of you see that?
Speaker 2: I heard about it.
Speaker 3: He's a clown Yep.
Speaker 1: Doesn't lose with class that Danny Hurley. That's fine, he's a good villain. Yukon was in this game. They probably should have won it, and ultimately Florida just hit a couple of cold blooded shots. They will play Maryland, who beat Colorado State in the game of the tournament. Thus far, it looked like the Fighting Alley Farokman Ashes were all set to take down Maryland. But then screw you, Ali. I hope you had a horrible day after your Rams team loses on a buzzer beater the first of the tournament to the Terrapins. To the Terps have a shot to take down Florida. Smallest spread of any of the one v whatever Sweet sixteen games.
Speaker 3: Uh No, they do not.
Speaker 1: I think that's kind of stupid. I think Duke and Auburn both have a better chance of losing than Florida.
Speaker 2: I think Maryland's really good. I don't really think Arizona can hang with Duke. Michigan maybe could hang with Auburn a little, but that's maybe more about Auburn than Michigan. I think Maryland is really really fantastic right now. Florida is also fantastic. I still think the Gators win, but Maryland's gonna give us a game, I think.
Speaker 1: And then down to the bottom left, Texas Tech has not had a ton of trouble dispatching two double digit seeds, including Drake and then their coach left. They will play John Calla Peri's Arkansas team, who took down Saint John's. I would love to see Arkansas go further than Kentucky, and I picked Kentucky to lose here, so I guess that means I have to pick Arkansas, even though I think Tech goes to the Final four. That was the original call. I'm gonna be rooting hard for Arkansas to win this game. I think that'd be really funny.
Speaker 2: It would be pretty funny. I think Tech will win.
Speaker 3: Though, Yeah, I've Tech winning.
Speaker 1: And then we have a little bit of coaching carousel news, one of the most active coaching carousels that I can remember. The two biggest pieces of coaching news happened this week. Rodney Terry unsurprisingly got fired. Huh, I can't believe that didn't work, said every buddy but the Texas Athletic Department. Sean Miller sweaty. Sean Miller with his wiretap is the new coach at Texas and is welcome to Texas. Picture features the Texas Football Stadium in the backdrop of his office because nothing says we're passionate about basketball here like that. And then also Drake's Ben McCollum is the new guy at Iowa. Great hire for the Hawkeys. Bennett Sturtz, one of the best players in college basketball and Drake's hop player, transferred immediately to the Hawkeyes to stay with his coach, Local kid wanted to go to k State, they didn't offer him a scholarship. Iowa's going to that is that's the best hire of the cycle I think is Iowa hiring McCollum. He will have them competing for a Big Ten title very soon.
Speaker 2: I do like that hire Starts is going to be pretty good there. In some other coaching news, Darian Devrize left West Virginia after one year to become the next coach at Indiana. His son followed him there as a player of VCU coach Ryan Otum. Except to the job at Virginia. I will try to make basketball great again with Tony Bennett now out of the picture. Hopefully he will make basketball with baskets again at Virginia. Tony Bennett out at Points Villanova and with Virginia's jobs both currently open. Also, Utah hired Dallas MAVs assistant Alex Jensen to be their new coach, following the blueprint of BYU that they used on Kevin Young.
Speaker 1: I agree with this. By the way, more teams should hire NBA assistants to be their coach. These guys know the game. Yes, it's modern basketball. Absolutely. Look at how Kevin Young's doing his first year at BYU. Talk about a plug and play guy. I think Utah will be pretty good with this guy running the show.
Speaker 2: It is almost like people forget that the NBA is like the pinnacle of the sport and has really excellent coaches, And with how.
Speaker 1: Much money these schools are now pulling in and these mega conferences, being a head coach at a D one Power five league college is probably more financially savvy than being an NBA coach. Like an assistant coach, these guys make like five million a year as their base package to coach these schools.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Also, people are not ready for this take, but Steve Kerr probably better basketball coach than Bill Self?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I don't know how the hell is that arguable. He's one of the three best coaches in the history of the NBA.
Speaker 2: See, you're right, but I don't think most of KU twitter will will think that's normal. Ryan, You're right, I'm right, But I think most of KU fans would be like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 1: Why? Because he's won a lot of games with great players, and Bill self has also won a lot of games with great play. We're gonna punish Steve Kerr for having great players on his team, but we're not gonna apply I.
Speaker 2: I think it's just an anti NBA sentiment.
Speaker 1: Oh that's crazy, like anybody could coach these guys. Kind of that argument a little bit.
Speaker 2: I think people also think the NBA just isn't as good as it is. Like the NBA is crazy good guys. It's not just a bunch of guys running around playing no defense, shooting threes. Like it is really high level basketball being played.
Speaker 1: Steve Kerr is one of the five best basketball coaches at any level in the history of sports.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's that might be a little hot, but he's very good.
Speaker 1: I can't I couldn't, Davis. I could not name five men that have ever coached basketball that I would rather have start my basketball team than Steve Kerr, both from a he's good at coaching and his players absolutely playing for him.
Speaker 3: I do agree with Winston, Steve Prome, Davis, Steve pro Senile, John Calipari at Kentuck.
Speaker 1: Hey, that's sweet sixteen elite are sweet sixteen washed to John Calla Perry, Sir.
Speaker 3: That's true, all right, camra yep. In other news, Duke assistant Jie Lucas is now the head coach of Miami. Will Wade is at North Carolina State. Richard Patino left New Mexico to take over Sean Miller ed Xavier and former Kings assistant Luke Lockes replaces Leonard Hamilton at Florida State following retirement. Fran McCaffrey is all the way down at Penn now, and Mike Bibby got hired at Sacramento State.
Speaker 1: That's pretty cool. Like whatever, people just say, hey, good NBA player, come coach. It's better than saying, hey, Doug Gottlieb, come coach.
Speaker 2: Yes, who's not.
Speaker 1: I don't think I think they're they're keeping with Doug Gottlieb for some crazy reason. I I legitimately don't know why anybody would do that.
Speaker 2: That is insane.
Speaker 1: I'll give it a I'll give it out rock Chock blog bracket update here and then ndad real. That's what you need to know. Land Landon lost the final four team before all four networks had a game on.
Speaker 2: I believe he's correct.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's impressive.
Speaker 1: It's very very hard to do. But he did the job all right. So we don't have a ton of ask arcbs. Then we're gonna get into our activity.
Speaker 2: We have a couple here that seven minutes and welcome to the first ever two hour episode of IP.
Speaker 1: Nah that that that exercise will only take like twenty minutes. It took twenty two last time. We'll be fine.
Speaker 2: Okay, So we have we have a couple of.
Speaker 1: Transfer portal questions here at Chris Jerico two says getting done and in the transfer portal would be great, but how good of a fit would he be with Peterson At Bhelz three says, rather than just grabbing five high rated transfers in the portal this year, hopefully the staff takes a more targeted approach and zeroing game or zeroing in on guys who will fit the system that will also have mental and physical toughness. Then he adds hashtag still not an expert.
Speaker 3: I see what you did there, Well done.
Speaker 1: At Elliot Ruson h says, if either of you three have looked at the available portal options, which one do you think you will or they will prioritize. So there's a lot of transfer portal stuff obviously, everody wants to know the guy if I could have one, you named him Chris Donovan Dentz the guy I want. He was a very That to me is what a championship point guard looks like.
Speaker 2: He is exactly the type of player that I was talking about wanting to play a combo ish guard alongside Darren Peterson.
Speaker 1: Yep, that's the answer. How would he do alongside Darren Peterson? You ask, Well, he'd score well, and he would draw attention away from Peterson because you can't leave them wide open.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, exactly. And he could handle the ball and draw defenses to him, leaving Darren Peterson more open.
Speaker 1: That would also let Omark or Jackson back up either one off the bench. I do think Jackson will be better. I don't think he should start, at least right off the bat unless he's shown that. I would love to see Jackson in that I can back up either Peterson or Dent for fifteen minutes a game. I think that'd be a great role for him as well. I would take those guys as my three point guard options.
Speaker 2: In some very sad news for me personally and in podcast, lore Josan Sanan my beloved, I want that come to Kansas. He's he's gonna play for Rick Patino. He's going He's going to Queen's. He's gonna play for the Red Storm.
Speaker 1: Saint John's feels like tampering. What do I know? That's fine?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Probably At says, oh, okay, we got more, we got more transfer news.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 2: I was just going to say, Josh from Iowa, there's one also to watch. He's the fourth rate right now, give me him.
Speaker 1: Yes, Yeah, that's that's the yes. Please if they go Dick Dickinson, Dix all in a row, that's that's the like, that's impossible. At Rock Chuk eighty four, do you remember episode one? Well, these two don't I do. I remember sitting in a cold college radio station recording that episode, talking about Wayne Selden scoring a lot of points in Kansas beating Oklahoma col to bounce back.
Speaker 2: Like seventy three there.
Speaker 1: It was early January, and there was a time where we couldn't fix the window that was stuck open, so it did get pretty cold in there. I think it was about fifty two degrees one day when I walked in there.
Speaker 2: It is cold.
Speaker 1: But yeah, they bounced back from the San Diego State Home loss. That was our first that was our first show. Jim also says, do you think he will get to one thousand. Wow, well that would put us in two thousand and like thirty six or something like that. I'm sure twelve more years, twelve more years.
Speaker 2: When they hired Tyler self to be the head coach, you know.
Speaker 1: That they'll be on your aid of Jeremy Mike Woodson case Landon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right, you're right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Elliott says, congrats on five hundred. Keep pumping out good moments. I'm sure you'll go over favorite moments. But what are some memorable old episodes that you guys can remember recording or listening to. Oh man, I need to put these in like a Google drive, like the set of KU season ending losses, because the Wichita State one is an Oregon those two were just hit you right in the below the balls sort of painful shows. The Arizona State recap that these two did a few weeks ago was pretty freaking good. Or the preview of that that got a little yeah.
Speaker 2: That was.
Speaker 3: That was good.
Speaker 1: That all started because Cam made a Luigi Manngioni joke. I remember knowing he made that. I was like, oh, this is gonna go good. There it goes.
Speaker 3: Oh man? Yeah, Well, and that's why they brought me on here.
Speaker 1: Let me think about it. I need to think about more of the best moments at show me how I can't wait to hear you guys recap a game of the Natoates era at Kansas. And then he goes on to write, it would sound like this, number twelve Baylor ninety seven, number three Kansas eighty nine at Allen Field House, NATOS. It's exactly not wrong.
Speaker 2: He is right. It's exactly how we go.
Speaker 1: If anyone has seen the bracket that I filled out in the Rock Chalk blogpool says, show me Hawk, I've got Houston and Texas Tech in the championship game, says not only would that be a great battle, but would it make us feel better about finishing sixth in the best league in the country. There's nothing that can happen that would make the Big trop better than the SEC this year, even if that's the matchup.
Speaker 2: Nor make me feel better about how the season went.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this the season sucked. I mean they were complete horse pooh.
Speaker 1: Also, I said on the last show that the SEC had a pretty disappointing first round. I thought they did. They went nine and five. They then proceeded to go eight and one and round two where only Texas A and M lost and they have half of the second weekend. They have half the team still left, so I'd say they did just fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean they were buying far the best all the way throughout the year. They're still good.
Speaker 1: So Saint Louis is a host site for the first weekend. Next show points out, show me hawk. Let me just get the official drop of Saint Louis up. One second. There it is, ads. It would be really convenient for a lot of fans to go, and it'd be cool to see Kansas fans take over the Enterprise Center once again. The official drop of the Enterprise Center. There we go. Just wanted to throw that some Saint Louis shade out there. Have all of you guys been to Saint Louis only driven through direction?
Speaker 3: Man, I've been there once.
Speaker 1: So Saint Louis is so lousy that whenever they built the iconic monument that everyone knows Saint Louis for, it literally symbolizes leaving Saint Louis.
Speaker 2: That's true, that is absolutely yeah, the gateway to the West, not Saint Louis.
Speaker 1: Correct.
Speaker 3: I've never heard anyone go I'm taking the first bus to Saint Louis. It's like going to Cleveland on spring break. I'm going to Cleveland.
Speaker 1: I'd like to go to Cleveland just to check out the amunum.
Speaker 3: They don't.
Speaker 1: I don't go to Cleveland because the cedar points right there that looks like a great bucket list item.
Speaker 3: Cleveland is so boring that Deshaun Watson had to go to get happy ending massages. All playing in the NFL.
Speaker 1: At rock Jack eighty four. If Washburn and k You played again, what would be the spread? Oh god, now, well they don't.
Speaker 3: Have like they only like Washburn money line. As a power player k by thirty two units, they'd be favored.
Speaker 1: By a lot.
Speaker 2: How did Washburn basketball?
Speaker 1: Do Washburne basketball in the Elite eight something? They're in the end the Division two Elite eight.
Speaker 2: I think I am seeing that. Yes, they did have quite a good Yeah, they went thirty and three in the regular season. They did lose the thirty one to Kansas in the exhibition.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, that game was close for a little bit. That game was like forty three to twenty nine or forty three to thirty two or something at halftime, which whatever, it's an exhibition game Zeke Mayo Little Washburn, and we were like, oh man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think Kansas minus like eighteen nineteen at least.
Speaker 1: Oh no, it's way more than that. Are you kidding me? It's at least twenty five thirty two?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was gonna say twenty five and a half.
Speaker 2: You're probably right.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then at at Chris or excuse me, at show me, Hawk says it is MLB Opening Day, Yes it is, says he would like to predict for the Royals win ninety three games in the al Central comment he would let me to play this drop in the background. Here we go, let me just get it to Buffalo.
Speaker 3: There we go.
Speaker 1: I gotta say, I hope you're right about the Royals. I'm a little bit nervous that that team just stayed completely healthy last year and everything kind of went right. But they do have a super and whenever you have a superstar, you're always going to be in a playoff race, like the Angels, who have won lots of playoff games with Mike Trout. Am I right? Please? Somebody tell me? And that is true? Who's in fairness to him? Shoeotani now has a lot of playoff wins because he left right.
Speaker 2: I think the Royals will be fine this year. I think I think I would predict a little bit of regression. But hey, it's opening day. I'm pumped. I hope. This is probably the most excited I've been for a baseball season in my life other than fifteen. So I'm excited. Maybe sixteen sixteen had a lot of.
Speaker 1: MLB the show too. I heard that on the last show we may have to play some MLB this show. That's a fun game.
Speaker 2: I've been running a bunch of season sims in franchise mode just playing GM. It's great. It's so fun.
Speaker 1: Yep, that's what everyone does with it. Cam is a Detroit Tiers fan. They're obviously rivals of the Royals. I think it's gonna come down to Minnesota, Kansas City into De Troit in the division race this year because the division is so bad. Eighty six wins may get you it. Cam, is there a lot of hype up there? Trek Scuball is pretty good?
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, I mean, I don't know, dude. We Detroit Sports let us down every single year in some capacities. I mean, we'll be fine. It'll be.
Speaker 2: Choking away another playoff run.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm just glad. I don't care about hockey. Yeah, I wish we did a good even care about they?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and what just think of what you had to sit through last year to get to this point. If you ever have anything I didn't sit, use the hashtag ascars. Right, Cam was in Chicago where Landing will soon be. And you know that what what starts in Chicago ends? And yeah, okay, all right, Landon, you did a really good job last time giving us a project. We're gonna do a little uh, we're gonna do a little game here, a little another draft i've heard rumblings of, and we have twenty three minutes to get it done. Surely we can do that.
Speaker 2: Oh, we'll give it a shot. Yeah, we're gonna do a one year at Kansas player draft. That can be a freshman, that can be a transfer, but they can only have played played being the key here, not just attended, but played one season with the Jayhawks. I think we were gonna do a randomizer to decide the draft order this time.
Speaker 1: So I am opening chat GPT and I'm going to say, please randomize the names Ryan Landon and Cam all right, were ready here? We go. Let's see what they say. Here are some randomizations. Cam You're up first, just like you were last time, Land, and you're gonna be second, and I'm gonna go third. So we're gonna do a snake draft where I'll pick first. In round two, I'll have three and four, and we'll snake back.
Speaker 2: Around and we are gonna do seven players per Ryan's request. So you're gonna have some truly absurd selections by the end of this that's the funnle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we could have ten selections, but we made legitimate only run out of players and have to draft Tugger Vang.
Speaker 3: That's fine.
Speaker 1: So as did you already say the rules? Land, They have to be in the itp era and they have to have played exactly one season at Kansas. They can be a transfer, they can be a one and done freshman, they can be a grad transfer, whatever, but they have to have only competed in one season at Kansas.
Speaker 2: Correct. I did say that part. I did not say yes, we are doing we are doing yet again the itp era. That is from Andrew Wiggins freshman year in twenty thirteen, fourteen. You probably will be relevant soon to this draft.
Speaker 1: The first pastics are real easy. So cam you pick whoever you want and land and you have the easiest pick ever.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm actually going to take Andrew Wiggins.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think you had him last time too.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I like athletes.
Speaker 1: I agree by either wear.
Speaker 2: Crossover here for sure.
Speaker 1: I heard some people talking on a ten the other day the local sports station about how Andrew Wiggins if Darren Peterson is Andrew Wiggins. Somebody said that would be disappointing. Get the hell out of here. Andrew Wigans should have won Big Twelve Player of the Year. He evers eighteen points as a freshman as an eighteen year old kid at Kansas. Good god, he was one of the ten best players in the country. If that's disappointing, then you are ridiculous. He had the best freshman season in the history of the school.
Speaker 2: Unless you prefer the contrariy and take that. Josh Jackson had the best freshman year in the history of the school, and that is who I am taking.
Speaker 1: Josh Jexas Can I take Daron Peterson? I asked this last time and was rejected. I'm gonna try again because I have to try.
Speaker 2: No, No, he's not played Dan at Kansas. He could break his ankle and never played basketball again, it.
Speaker 1: Was true, or he could decommit, which there are many people in the UH and the ask RCB questions that want to ask that sometimes. Oh my gosh, is he going to leave because he sees this lousy team that Bill has prepared for him? No, No, he'll be a Jayhawk. He'll be a Jayhawk.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I think you have a pretty you have a pretty easy third pick here, Ryan.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, the easy third is Joel that's you have to go with. Oh really, okay, I think I know who else you're thinking. But that means I'm gonna have to wait a lot longer on a point guard. And I don't love doing that because I but I guess nobody's had a point guard. Yes. The next easy option is the most outstanding player of the twenty eighteen NCAA Tournament, which is Elite Newman. I've got to get a guy who can shoot threes. I think I know exactly who else you thought I was taking. Malite Newman had the better overall season than that guy. I will take him and Joe l Embiid at three and four.
Speaker 2: UH. That is probably true, I do have. There is a sneaky guy I could take here, took him last time. There's another freshman that I really like. I think I have to go with the freshmen here. So I'm gonna go with Grady Dick.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it was really good.
Speaker 2: Grady Dick's really good. I like Grady Dick and Josh Jackson playing next to each other.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go with Remy Martin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's a good one.
Speaker 1: And then I think after that, I think this gets a lot harder. I think those are a clear, clear cut top six. Uh, there are other good players. There is one more. I think that, yes, there is one more, but those, I think that he's seven in a tier by himself. I'm curious if Cam. If Cam picks up on.
Speaker 3: It, yeah, I think, uh, I'm I think, I think I am. I'm gonna take Ddrich Lawson.
Speaker 1: That's not at all who I freaking thought. There is another one, And now I'm angry. I didn't think of Ddrik because he was really good.
Speaker 2: I did think of Didrich and I passed and I have regretted my choice. Well, Cam one again, so let's see what we got here. You have someone's specific in mind here Ryan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that there's a pretty clear cut answer.
Speaker 2: Here did he play in the last two seasons?
Speaker 1: I don't want to answer that.
Speaker 2: I think I think I know.
Speaker 1: Okay, go for it.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know if I want to take him. I don't know if I want to take him. I really desperately need a point guard. This guy can kind of play point guard.
Speaker 1: Okay, then we're not thinking of the same person.
Speaker 2: Then, really Okay, Yeah, there's a couple. There's a couple older generate older quote unquote early early of this discussion era.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now I think you're starting to get closer to it.
Speaker 2: Okay, and I'm really curious. I'm sure I'm it will be someone obvious that I'll completely blank. I should have done research that would have been helpful. We decided this like eight hours ago. This was officially what we were doing tonight.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: Oh, boy, one year at Kansas there's another great one year at Kansas post player.
Speaker 1: We need a time limit because and Landon figures this out and takes him, I'm gonna be mad.
Speaker 2: I want I want to figure it out really badly. Oh there's also well, I say, Moss, wasn't that good. He's fine. He'll he'll get picked here, not by me, but he'll get picked in this draft. I am deeply struggling to think of who it is. So I'm going to bail from that, and unfortunately, and I will lose myself the draft on this. I will take Zeke Mayo.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, that's that's see. That's actually not who I was thinking. But I think the piece that I need. Go ahead and give Zeke Mao analysis. I mean, that's a pretty good guy to land at eight.
Speaker 2: I mean, an unreal shooter, especially if you pay him next to Grady Dick. He can be a.
Speaker 1: Shooter of any of those guys that we've been that's been picked statistically hold.
Speaker 2: Your laughter, but he can handle the ball a little bit. He's a good player with some glaring flaws, but he can shoot the lights out of the building. And you have Zeke Mao Grady Dick, who can both absolutely light you up from beyond the arc. Josh Jackson no slouch from behind the arc either, crazy athlete. You can play a really really fast with those three.
Speaker 1: And I think the guy that I'm gonna take that I thought you would take, And maybe this will be completely not something that was on your radar, goes way back to before you guys were on this show. I need Kelly Ubray to be my fore man next to Joel embiid.
Speaker 2: Okay, I thought of Kelly Ubray and I passed on him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just the way the roster is constructed, and now I have another one and I'm going but you now it's starting to get a little bit harder. Like I think I'm gonna take the guy I want. I don't think whenever we inevitably asked Twitter who won this draft, this guy isn't going to get me any votes, which I'm kind of focused on getting. But I think it's the right pick. And I we need a point guard, like I can't think of a single one and done point guard that makes a lot of sense here. But we're gonna have to come up with at least three landing got Zeke Mayo.
Speaker 2: Just for the no.
Speaker 1: I hate this. I hate this so much. This is so much less fun than it just was than the first one was. Because everybody was an All American the first time and we did this in like a week. Then maybe I could take Rylan Griffin as like the last bench piece. But I'm gonna take a guy who Landon mentioned Isaiah Moss. I'm gonna take the guy who was better than that. I'm gonna take Jayleen Coleman Lanz, who I don't think is going to get me. That's not gonna get me a lot of votes on Twitter, but he was a forty four percent three point shooter just sitting there that I think Bill self incredibly underutilize and I think he's a He's definitely You guys have two guys that can eat shoot. You got Wiggins and Martin, cam Landing got Mayo and Grady. I gotta have someone next to elite Newman that can knock down threes, and that's gonna be Jayen Coleman Lands. He's gonna play quite a bit.
Speaker 3: That's I was gonna pick.
Speaker 2: It's a fascinating take. I think I am going, Oh, actually, well, once again, I think I'm gonna have to take a guy a little bit that I have to take here.
Speaker 1: Sam Cunliffe, congrats, come get your land in Jersey, Come on down.
Speaker 2: Man, want to spoil again? Or there's a couple guys I could take. I think this other guy is thought of so poorly that I can't possibly do it. So I am going to take Cliff Alexander.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a great pick. He was very underappreciated. He was quite good when he played.
Speaker 2: Obviously he had to sit the end of the twenty fourteen to fifteen season, but he was He was a very solid player when he was actually out there. You know, maybe he's not Embeid. He obviously did not have the scoring numbers of Detrich Lawson, but he was a very very solid five on that team, and his ear just got cut short by academic issues or not academic issues, but just like NCAA issues.
Speaker 1: Yep, something that if he played in twenty twenty five instead of twenty fifteen, he would have still been playing and not missed any time.
Speaker 3: Good pick, really good pick, man. So I get two picks here, correct, So I'm gonna go with Isaiah Moss okay for a guard spot. And then I am legitimately running out of ideas. I can't believe him saying this right now. I hate everything. I'm gonna take Hunter Micklson Okay. Wow, I don't, dude, I'm running out of ideas. I don't I don't have any other ideas.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna pick up my bench. Is gonna make Hunter Michelson be like, yes, Cam's got the best team.
Speaker 2: You got any reason for Hunter Nicholson? You want to give Hunter Michelson.
Speaker 3: Analysis legitimately the only big man that I can remember playing one year at Kansas and it's just so obscure. That's that's all I can remember.
Speaker 1: He played on the throwback Arkansas, like in that players tournament or whatever. Oh oh, also, I have to I hate to be this guy. Uh, Hunter Michelson is ineligible. He played two seasons at Kansas.
Speaker 3: Okay, well then and sixteen. Here you go. Me changed, let me change the let me change this. This is gonna make it even better.
Speaker 1: Zoobi edge for Okay, what a sheet code because people are gonna love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. People are gonna be like, oh it's now.
Speaker 1: Zubie yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Well you go.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Once again, Cam will win the draft as I have to select Quentin Grimes.
Speaker 1: Pick I didn't think about that. That will help you landon because people will again remember him as good.
Speaker 2: Quinton Grimes, he is now quite good. I recently went to an Oklahoma City Thunder game where they played the seventy six ers and watched Quinton Grimes drop twenty eight points and look like a very good player. Uh you know, his Kansas time was deeply, deeply frustrating a year that I talked about right here on this podcast. He started to be very good. His time at Kansas was super weird, super weird, but he was an athlete. He was really good at the ball in his hands, and he was still better than like Nick Timberlake by a lot. Oh yeah, Like we thought Quinton Grimes was a megabust when it happened, but like AJ Storer and like Nick Timberlake have put that to shame.
Speaker 3: Yep, good job, Bill.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm gonna have to freaking pick Nick Timberlake as a point guard. I can see it coming right down the peril.
Speaker 2: So I never in a million years, why do that.
Speaker 1: The Lake Newman's gonna run the point on this team. I think it's pretty obvious. As the sixth man here, I'm gonna take a guy that I think was was a little bit underrated at Kansas, but he's he's the best piece that has not been claimed left. So I am going to take Dwight Colby to come off the bench and ug up Joel embiid Yes, Doug Land or Daniel can remembers Daniel thought his name was Doug Colby and would call him that for years and it was not his name. Dwight Colby won Kansas a game against Kentucky at Ropperina in his in his one year there. And now it's now we're really down. Now each have two picks left, so we're gonna have to somehow come up with six names.
Speaker 3: I have an idea, but I don't know if it's within the timeframe. Okay, what like say it until I No, I don't. I don't know the you're offside of my head.
Speaker 1: Okay, God, I don't want to take Nick Timberlake. But he's the best. No he's not. No, he's not. I'll figure it out later. It's a guy also from that team. It's Johnny Furfey that needs to come off.
Speaker 3: The bat like.
Speaker 1: He's like he was still a good enough shooter. He can be the sixth man on this roster. I'll figure the point guard out later, Malik, he might be playing the one.
Speaker 2: That's a good pick. Johnny Furfrey's a solid pick there. I like that. I have to do a quick stat Google to see if I want to draft.
Speaker 1: Both my AirPods and my wireless mouse are dead. They're both charging. I have no tools. I cannot google anything. I'm holding the phone to my ear like I'm in the seventies again while the mouse recharges before we're done a little bit.
Speaker 2: I had to do that a few shows back. My AirPods died mid show and I was like, oh no.
Speaker 1: It's going seamlessly until the mouse died. And now my Google has been taken away from me because I can't click on anything. So I don't know what I'm gonna do with this last guy. I'm gonna have to take Nick Timberlake or Sam kun left, because the only two guys I can think of I have such is.
Speaker 2: What did h What did Errek? Black?
Speaker 3: Dud? I'm gonna throw something And that was my.
Speaker 2: Idea, Oh Black, I'm selecting Taric Black. My debate is over. I don't know. I don't remember exactly what he did. I remember being pretty good.
Speaker 1: He was kansass best player in the Stanford loss.
Speaker 3: That's how I legitimately have zero ideas.
Speaker 2: Hey, there's another guy from that team that only played one year at Kansas.
Speaker 1: That might have to be my point guard. No, don't you, Derek Camp that I need a point guard.
Speaker 3: And heavy and they like to my yep, my team's guard heavy and they like to drink and drive. The Secretary of Defense, give me a Connor Frank Camp.
Speaker 1: Fun I t P Reference Daniel said the day Connor Frank Camp left. Are you serious? They kept Frank Mason and let Frank Camp leave. I remember that one.
Speaker 2: Well that's really funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh well, legitimately don't even know who's left. Camp's gotta come up with one more name, and then I gotta come up.
Speaker 3: There's a coup. Oh, there's there's one. Is it my pick?
Speaker 1: It is?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's Charlie. It's Charlie Moore time.
Speaker 1: No, no, no it's not. It's never Charlie Moore.
Speaker 2: Time, except when Charlie Moore's on the floor.
Speaker 3: I just realized it.
Speaker 2: I elusively Charlie Moore time.
Speaker 3: I have so many guards on this team, A.
Speaker 1: Lot of very sad twenty nineteen references here land. Does it bring back memories a lot?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Really, I'm seeing I'm seeing Auburn hitting another three like it's the Vietnam War.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: My my final pick, I want to take a guard. I need I need a guard, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Land, and let's work together on this because there are no winning options at this point.
Speaker 2: Okay, MJ Rice is available.
Speaker 1: The names that are still on my mind, Yes, m J Rice is there, Bobby Pettiford and Joe Yesfu I believe played two years, so I think they are.
Speaker 2: I think you're right.
Speaker 1: I think did Yes, Yes, I definitely played two years, and I think Petiford did to. MJ Rice is there? Sam Kunliffe is still there?
Speaker 2: Is there?
Speaker 1: kJ Lawson? Yeah, that's this is this is hard.
Speaker 2: Like I'm looking up Bobby Pediford just to make sure I think you are right.
Speaker 1: He was on He came back the next year, Yeah he did because he hit the game winner in the Wisconsin.
Speaker 2: Game the year have to Oh, yeah, you're right, you're right.
Speaker 1: There's also Shek Diallo, who is a little bit of a wild card.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because boy did his NBA career elevate him. I think I think those are all the names.
Speaker 1: Until we get some news this year or this week which AJ store you could get an advanced loan on AJ store.
Speaker 2: I think I'm gonna do what I have to do. Trying to do one last mental run through to make sure there's.
Speaker 1: No there's also one guy that we've talked about that is still there, and he is definitely the best player left.
Speaker 2: We've talked about him.
Speaker 1: Yes, and it's not someone that you're that's gonna get you votes, but he's the best player of all the ones we've mentioned by a good amount.
Speaker 2: I I I genuinely don't. Oh it's Nick Timberlake.
Speaker 1: It is Timberlake. Yeah, he's the best one left.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 1: He did score nineteen points in an NCAA tournament game.
Speaker 2: He did, which kJ Lawson famously did not do. Let's look, what did Nick Timberlake do? And he scored ten points a game?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the answer.
Speaker 2: Goodness gracious, well, that's no, he's that's his first career. He scored five Kansas.
Speaker 1: Okay, I was gonna say, I don't remember the fans.
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't remember that at all. Oh, yeah, that was his career numbers, Man, this is brutal.
Speaker 1: If you'd prefer somebody over Nick Timberlake. The only other name I can think of is Shaquille Moore.
Speaker 2: Oh. Actually, for those really yeah, missing.
Speaker 1: Give us a hint. Cam.
Speaker 3: He's still in.
Speaker 2: Twelve yeah, yep, uh, I'm gonna for the votes and the vibes. I'm taking Shack.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think that's a good call. If his foot's healthy, he would have been much more.
Speaker 2: In fact, this team is feisty.
Speaker 1: Yeah they are. They shoot a lot of bricks at times, but they they're pretty feisty.
Speaker 2: Some of them are at car tail lights.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't want to make them mad, that's for sure. Landa is not the all potential alleged criminal team. Actually, no, six of your dudes have no issues. They get technical sut there only Josh Jackson's been in trouble for getting a kid high, right.
Speaker 3: Which is pretty allegedly right.
Speaker 2: And you can make your last pick and then we'll run through the teams and then we'll post it on Twitter and we'll let everyone vote.
Speaker 1: All right, So I mean, let's go over who's left. I'm going to I have to take Nick Timberlake. He's the only like he's he's the best player left, which is ghastly. He's the twenty first best one and done in the celf Era who did not get chosen.
Speaker 2: Probably is the is the best one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Ernest caam Martin. Oh forgot about Camp. I remember when I was convinced Cam Martin would be the.
Speaker 3: James Sasinski Yo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, only one of these guys that scored in the final four.
Speaker 3: It's true that never happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it did never happen. That's speaking of allegedly Kjo.
Speaker 2: Scored in the final four.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. And then the guys that are still left. Yeah, yeah, the guys that are available, Nick Timberlake is that is has to be the answer. I will just by this much, pass on, pass on, Sam Kun left and uh and move on. A name I have not said in a long time. Tark Black was a good find by U Land, and that was one that I felt would slip under the radar. I had a little cocky and I wanted to pair him with Joel.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think you got a funnel it in Dwight Colby, though, should we run through the teams? Cam to run through your lineup.
Speaker 1: As I will use my keyboard and keyboard alone to scroll up in the notes.
Speaker 3: All right, So I have the birdman Remy Martin running the point, with Isaiah Moss shooting yard, a small forward with Maple Jordan Andrew Wiggins and Didrich Lawson guard forward. Slash center, five man Zoobi edge forwards. Sixth man behind the wheel driving allegedly under the influence Connor fran Camp. And then seventh man is Charlie Moore time.
Speaker 2: Cam with the shortest bench ever in a college basketball roster.
Speaker 3: It's how we ride.
Speaker 2: I can't I can't wait for Bill self to see Remy Martin do things that he hates for some reason, look to the bench and pull him for Charlie Moore, great rip.
Speaker 1: Out what's left of his two pay.
Speaker 2: I have starting at the point, Zeke Mayo, great shooter, knocked down a lot of a lot of threes in his one year at Kansas. Another guy who knocked down a lot of threes at one of years Kansas was Grady Dick. He's playing the two. I have Josh Jackson, a supreme athlete, a good defender on the outside. Playing the four would really be Josh Jackson, So playing the three. In reality, we'll be quitting Grimes, who had a mixed year at Kansas went on to do great things. However much you want to take that into account, you are welcome to My five man is Cliff Alexander was great before the unfair, unjust suspension. He was a very good player at Kansas. My sixth man is gonna be Tarek Black, who was more or less a sixth man at Kansas and was very good after the Joel Embiid injury as well. And then my seventh is Shaq Moore, who you know, he didn't do a ton this year at Kansas Battle to injuries, but he's pretty feisty, good defender, can knock down the occasional shot, can dunk out of nowhere, is a smart player, can do a lot of things. Well. I like the lineup, well, I do not.
Speaker 1: Like this roster, but we're gonna ride with in the battle because it's what great coaches do. Starting at the point, we have Elite Newman, most outstanding player of the Midwest region, and after that it all goes south quickly. I'm going to start Jalen Coleman Lands and Johnny Furfey as my wings right alongside him. This team can shoot threes. I don't know how good they are at defense, but they can shoot threes. Kelly Ubray can play the four, and he can do a little bit of everything, especially if I'm getting the current version. Joelle Embiid is the five man, the most dominant center in the Big twelve and the twelve or whatever games he started. And then we're bringing off a banner duo off the bench, Dwight Colby and his no career starts at Kansas and Nick Brick Timberlake can come off the bench to go for a dunk and draw a horrible foul call against some thirteen seed that they should have lost due to hopefully ride us to victory.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, possibly the wrong.
Speaker 1: What a way to do? Show five hundred. Let's see if I have enough juice in the mouse to click the airhorn one more time and it is Look at that there it is all right, Well, thank you for listening to not just Dice, but five hundred, up to five hundred shows of itp here's to another five hundred. I will not let them leave until we get to a thousand. That's how this works, right.
Speaker 2: That is kidnapping.
Speaker 1: That is that is Chris Yap allegedly. But you know, we'll see how many games if they win. But thank you to everybody who's listening. What's made the show what it has. It's gotten a bigger and bigger audience. Every single one of the twelve years we've done this. Who knows what season thirteen and beyond will look like. I have a hard time believing that either one of these two will leave the three man dream team that they're a part of. But you never know. They could answer the portal, they could up for the NBA. We'll figure it out. I'll be here. I don't know who'll be next to me, but I'll be here next year talking about how Kansas is the most dangerous six seed in all the land. I'm Ryan Landern.
Speaker 2: This is itp I'll probably be back, Yeah, No, I mean I want to echo everything Ryan said as well. It's been awesome to do this. Five hundred is crazy. Been on two ninety two of them. Love seeing you guys interact, all the compliments, love all the insults, love all the questions, love all the takes. It's been a great ride. Looking forward to more of it. I'm Landing Fields.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as you started speaking, that really beautiful, you know.
Speaker 1: Come on, degenerate, Robert Frost, you got something in I saw I saw a.
Speaker 3: Commercial for Band of Brothers. Come on Netflix, and I tell you what, there's no one I'd rather be in a fox hole with. And two more onso microphones. That's right, I'll be back that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's fact. But Campe'll say something hilarious and the.
Speaker 3: I'll be I'll be here. I'll be here if my mental health stays stays intact while long enough, and uh, we'll find yourselves.
Speaker 2: I'll be happy to be there with you.
Speaker 3: Cam im me bleeding out, remembering to morow Trumper's shot.
Speaker 1: I'm thirty now, sir, I might be too old for the draft. You guys may have a little bit more time. I hope I'm done with that.
Speaker 2: Hey, you guys are only one executive order away from that.
Speaker 3: Being Yeah, I'm done. Yeah, it's not great.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll probably be back sometime between one and two weeks. If I'm guessing, we're gonna start getting Kansas Portal news soon, and whenever we do, we'll come back. Like the rest of the tournament really isn't enough to get us all back in here to talk about it, just because it's not Kansas related. But whenever we start having legitimate KU news, well we'll be back. So until then, by TP, somebody somebody say bye five hundred times
Speaker 2: Hm, hmm, bugs, bunny, no, no, bye, guys,