Speaker 1: You're listening to an air wave media podcast. Welcome to Monster Talk. I'm Karen Stolsner and I'm Blake Smith.
Speaker 2: It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before.
Speaker 3: A giant, very creature, part ape part net in Luckness, a twenty four mile long bottomless lake in the highlands of Scotland. It's a creature known as the Luckness Monster.
Speaker 2: Monstertal Hi, Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. Today we're going to be talking about upcoming episodes and chat a little bit about the show and give some personal updates more instrut.
Speaker 4: I was thinking that it would be good to talk about just well, honestly, we used to do more episodes where we would, you know, get together before we did our interviews and just kind of shoot the breeze a little bit. And we don't do that as much as we used to, and I wish we had more time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we used to do that, definitely, and I think we've just been so busy in recent years that we have just met up a couple of minutes beforehand.
Speaker 4: I'm only made.
Speaker 1: Sure ell the equipment's working and gotten straight into it.
Speaker 4: And not only do we lose that sort of conversational tone I think it comes to in the inniverse. Okay, but I mean it is fun to just talk. I mean, we don't get to talk very much.
Speaker 1: And yeah, we don't live in the same city, and we used to catch up at TAM and various other conferences and things. And in fact, you've got dragon Con coming up next.
Speaker 4: Week, don't Yeah, And you know, foolishly, I haven't put any plugs for that in the show up until now. I'm not actually involved in any of the panels, but I will be there at dragon Con for the first time, and I think this would be the first time be really active in maybe three years.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I took a look at the schedule and I have to admit there are lots of names that I'm unfamiliar with.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I was. There are some really cool stuff in the Skeptics track. There's a ton of things I want to do as just a fan, and I'm usually I guess I had been very busy and doing volunteer work and getting on panels and attending you know, a lot of the Skeptics Track stuff and Derek does a great job with that, and I love it and I'm really excited because it's it's caused, are inspired. I guess lots of other skeptical presence at these sort of fan conventions, but this year I want to do a lot of lurking in the in the in the paranormal track. They have a paranormal track there, and there's a lot of people that I'd like to talk to because you know, I think we've talked about this before that in the field of skepticism as a as a as sort of it exists as a sort of adjunct to scientific skepticism, this sort of casual I don't know how to put it. It's non academic skepticism, you know what I mean. It's like, we do investigations, we do research, and many of the people who do this kind of work are credentialed and they have the right skills to do really good quality work. But in general, I don't think there exists a field of scientific investigation into paranormal and fringed claims as a as a as a field of study. But if there is such a thing, I think it exists as kind of a smaller group of people who are interested in skepticism as a methodology, because there are these huge topics like all mad is a huge one. People are really interested in that, and they do great work and they save.
Speaker 1: Lives, and that's an important one.
Speaker 4: It really is.
Speaker 1: I don't think there's any kind of hierarchy some people about some topics being more important and others.
Speaker 4: But it seems like paranormal claims in popular culture get a huge amount of I don't want to say press, it's not ink per se, but I mean they get a lot of TV time, It's covered in the media a lot. But the sort of this whole show exists as sort of an alternative, an inverse view of those topics. Right, So if you watch the Discovery Channel or the History Channel, or any show or TV show that's trying to make an interesting bit of entertaining television, they're going to be more inclined to cover the claims, the paranormal claims or the fringe claims without really doing a lot of critical examination of the facts.
Speaker 1: In my opinion, yeah, yeah, My husband until recently worked for a production company that produced a lot of reality TV, and certainly they're not interested in the explanations for these things. They're interested in the folklore and the stories.
Speaker 4: And this is a long way of me getting to the part where but in this field, there are people like us who are really skeptical of the underlying causes, but are fascinated by the stories and the phenomena and the experience, and we're sympathetic to the people who are going through things, and we're interested in why people sometimes do hoaxes, all these various ways that this material could be processed besides just a creepy story to tell before the lights go out.
Speaker 1: So yeah, well, I think most skeptics that I'm friends with got into skepticism not because of skepticism, but because of a love of these topics of cryptis or ghosts stories, and that's really how they found their way into skepticism.
Speaker 4: Do you feel sometimes, though, like, even though that's the case, that within the whole group, we're kind of in a ghetto, because I do. I feel like we're like we're in a ghetto of we're the ones who are interested in ghosts because a lot of skeptics will dismiss that, and I would say that that would be the wrong thing to do.
Speaker 1: But yeah, well, I certainly had people say things to me over the years. I remember maybe two decades ago now, just writing an article for the Australian Skeptic magazine about ghosts, and an anti fan wrote in and complained that I was doing yet another ghost investigation and why was I bothering because ghosts clearly don't exist. Why was I wasting my time with this? And so I think that you get that attitude with a lot of skeptics that they think there's no points in researching that or Bigfoot because these things just don't exist obviously, and you know, why would we want to pursue them. But I think we have good reason to investigate claims on an individual level and not just a concept, but also because we're interested in these things, and you know, we just love the folklore.
Speaker 4: I agree with that, which is, you know, part of the reason why I think the show's still going well.
Speaker 1: Clearly many other people agree with us as well. But I wanted to say about drag and con if you're going to be looking into the parental track. I believe that a friend of mine is going to be appearing this year by the name of Aiden Sinclair. He's a magician and he's got a show called Illusions of the Past, and so what he does is he incorporates history and magic together and he gives a really great show. So there's nothing about him that speaks about belief for that, he's not a skeptic. He is a skeptic, but he basically does seances and just a number of other magic tricks that include ghost stories and historical stories. And so go and check him out and tell him.
Speaker 4: I said, Hi, okay, I will, let's remind me to put that in the show notes as well.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's got a gig, an ongoing gig at the Stanley Hotel and so he does shows there, I think or five nights a week, and so you get people who travel the country and the globe basically going there to check out the haunted Stanley Hotel, and whilst they're there, they hear about his salances and they attend those and they were a lot of fun.
Speaker 4: I had a really fun experience staying at the Stanley a few years ago. In fact, it was before we started Monster Talk. There was a ghost video, the Pinjara ghosts Cemetery video, I think it was where it was, and Kylie Sturgis and I collaborated on that and it was so interesting because there I was working it was. My wife was there for a conference and I got to go. I was working for my company and she was working for hers. But at the same time I was sitting in this famous old hotel and doing ghost research. And she was tied up with My wife was tied up with, not with ropes, but with the conference. I don't know where you thought I was wrong with that? Those are my dad ever got her? So I was, I was. I was tied up a lot with work, but I spent a lot of that free time wandering the Stanley at night by myself and trying to figure out what was going on in this ghost video. It was such a fun experience. And so I really like that place. It's really nice. I don't take it's on it, but it's really fine.
Speaker 1: Oh lots of great stories there. And I went on an investigation with Brian and Baxter years ago, and they were there with an author who was writing a book about the Stanley Hotel, and so they were they're doing an investigation debunking a lot of the claims, and there were some silly claims, things like the do you remember the rocking chairs that are out the front of the building, those old white ones that they were rocking with no one sitting in them, so clearly there were phantom people sitting in these chairs and rocking them.
Speaker 4: When you're a ghost, you get tired of walking through walls and scaring people. Sometimes you have to sit down and yeah.
Speaker 1: Take a break. But I always thought it was funny that they made toilet paper and a ghost hunting tool for the very first time. I think because people were saying, there is no wind here, there's no breeze, there's no way that these seats could be moving by themselves, So they taped toilet paper to the seats to show that there was a wind and that they were moving and being affected by the wind.
Speaker 4: So they confirmed that an invisible source was causing them to move.
Speaker 1: I guess, I guess that's it.
Speaker 4: I'm just imagining the headline, right.
Speaker 1: But it was a lot of fun being there, and I really think that we spent most of the night just explaining to people that their photographs of orbs were not photographs of ghosts. And we were there. At one point there was a number of people grew in a group and standing around and talking about how they could smell phantom cigar smoke, and so we identified the source the location where this was coming from, and it was a guy who was sick of paying hotel prices because the restaurant's really expensive there. So he had his own little barbecue and he was making bacon burgers.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, that sounds delicious.
Speaker 1: I think it's interesting interesting paradolia too, that people could smell bacon and meat and think that that cigar smoke.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, but yeah, that's and I think that's a place that definitely primes people to be looking for the unusual. I mean, like that's an interesting trend in a lot of hotels, especially old ones, where they they don't necessarily advertise that they're haunted, but they know, well the Stanley they do, and I know, like the Driscoll.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, that was the one with the painting of the little girl exactly.
Speaker 4: So the Driscoll. I didn't see any signs that or anything saying they were haunted, but if you go ask at the front desk, they will produce a print out with ghost stories.
Speaker 1: Yes, yep, yep. That happened to us as well, and we went and found that painting of the little girl. And I can't remember the stories associated with that, but I think it was claimed that she'd stayed in the hotel and that she died there, and that she's seen she might have died on the stairs.
Speaker 4: Maybe I don't recall there was. They told me that the best stuff was in rooms, and you have to stay in the rooms, which is very convenient.
Speaker 1: The room always changes and you get the same thing with the Stanley too. I mean, there are a few of the rooms that are allegedly more haunted than others, but certainly whatever rooms available for the night is the haunted room.
Speaker 4: The best spirits from the bar was my experience. But yeah, speaking of spirits, we've got I guess we should mentioned what we are working on, so I don't. We don't have an interview this week. This is just me and you talking a little bit.
Speaker 1: But lots of things planned though we do.
Speaker 4: We've got we've been making some really good progress on an episode on Demon Dolls.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, so we're going to be interviewing Corey Convertito. I think is I'm not sure if I'm pronouncing that correctly, but.
Speaker 4: Barring unpreseen circumstances, we're certainly planning to.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, and yes, she's from the Key West Art and Historical Society, and so she's the curated and basically the keeper of Robert the Doll.
Speaker 4: Robert the Doll, I'm Bob Doll, and Bob Doll.
Speaker 1: Said, but we've been wanting to do this one for years, so this is really for sure.
Speaker 4: I have a friend who is very disturbed by Robert the Doll, and I told him I was looking into it for our show. So I'm very excited about the opportunity to get to some of the facts in fulklore behind that case.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I'm really keen to ask about all the people who write in you know how that's said that if people have insolved the Doll, or they're rude to it, then they're cursed and they go away and bad things happen, so they write letters of apology to him.
Speaker 4: No spoilers, that's well, no, I just meant that's a phenomena that you find in a lot of paranormal stories. The Hawaiian legend about don't steal rocks from Hawaii.
Speaker 1: Don't think the lover oh y'are making me think of that old Brady Bunch episode.
Speaker 4: And definitely watch out for Vincent Price if you're on the island. That's a good just a good rule of thumb. And then we're also speaking of folklore. We're planning to actually talk with an actual academic folklore is because while we talk about folklore, we haven't really spent a lot of time talking about how that's actually studied as a as a field.
Speaker 1: And I think that all is systematic.
Speaker 4: It is and it comes up again and again and kind of being able to distinguish between You learn this as you study and research these kinds of stories, but you'll start to develop skills and figuring out whether the elements in the story are are they plausible or does this sound like an urban legend or folklore?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the whole Marx of folcal.
Speaker 4: But obviously, if you look at the amount of stories that are passed around as sort of spam or email or chain letters, many of which are really just urban legends. And I think if you get to like the Snope's website for example, that sort of study is not widely understood or widely I mean, people clearly are willing to pass along a story without really caring whether it's true or not if it interests them.
Speaker 1: Oh, definitely, definitely, if they've got something to gain from it, If they've got a bias.
Speaker 4: So and I think, you know, we've sort of always had a sort of passive approach to this. And it's interesting because when we look at our reviews on iTunes, and by the way, if you don't want to spend any money to support us, there's really no better way to support us than to go to iTunes and give us a free review. But when you look, we have almost all positive reviews, but the negative reviews are usually along the lines of these guys are so dismissive, they don't believe in anything, They laugh at the believers, they mock.
Speaker 1: Them, and they haven't listened to any other skeptic podcasts. Because I think we're not like that as much as ares.
Speaker 4: I don't know it's possible, but I mean, I guess it's one of the things people can interpret our voices without really knowing us.
Speaker 1: But well, yeah, sometimes if you listen to one sod or a snippet of it, and maybe it's about a topic that you're passionate with, well, right, if you.
Speaker 4: Love later coorns, you've seen a unicorn, you believe in unicorns. Unicorns you know cured your grandmother. And we do an episode of unicorns and say they're just folklore. Yeah, okay, I see.
Speaker 1: That, Yeah, yeah, oh yeah, And if you don't give us a chance, then you could come to that conclusion.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 4: But I hope that we're doing a better job now. But I do want to get more interviews with people who are believers, which can sometimes be.
Speaker 1: We've done that occasionally. Yeah. Well, I think they're loathed to come on to a show like this because they think they're going to be attacked.
Speaker 4: And I don't want to attack people. I'd like to get their side. I mean, I don't want to like softball, and I would like to ask them, you know the subject, you know what you know. I'll give you example is I would really love to talk to guyline Playfair, who was the primary researcher on.
Speaker 1: The Infield Polta gust.
Speaker 4: That's an episode that we're definitely working on. I'm reading his book. He's had some very rough experiences working with skeptics in the asked, and I don't think it's wrong for them to be critical of his work. I mean, I don't, but I don't also think it would be right to have him want to be rooted him.
Speaker 1: I mean, just politely, well, I think we can find some common ground in that we're interested in these topics, and I think it'd be a good idea. In the past, we've had a few believers on and I think we've always we haven't had slinging matches at all. It's going on pretty well.
Speaker 4: I'd love to have Richard Sugback on to talk about poultry geist, and he definitely had.
Speaker 1: He's an interesting guy, he.
Speaker 4: Really is, and his research is just amazingly detailed. While he has reached a different conclusion than we have about the likelihood of poultry geist, but his research is great and his books, the writing he's done is interesting. I don't know where he's at with his book is whether they're getting it.
Speaker 1: Published, but you can teach us the thing or two to be given a different perspective.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, so I'd love to talk to them, and if we can get all that into our poultry gust episode, we will. If not, we'll still get somebody the worst case scenario. I'll talk about what I've learned by recent but I do like to bring in experts. Although this is.
Speaker 1: Fun, so yeah, yeah, we'll see what we can do.
Speaker 4: We've got some interesting archaeological ties coming in. So we've got the Archaeological Fantasies podcast. We're going to do a crossover episode with them.
Speaker 1: So yeah, we've been talking about that on Twitter.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I just delighted that the topic we're going to be talking about is fairies and the faithfolk. I am so excited about this because they I knew, you know, intellectually, that there were ties between fairies and claims about actual archaeological sites, but these guys have done a lot more research into it than I ever have, and it is good stuff. So I'm very excited about this.
Speaker 1: Certainly a different topic, Yeah, it is.
Speaker 4: And we've got Ken Fader is going to come back on and talk about archaeological hoaxes.
Speaker 1: Oh he's much beloved.
Speaker 4: He is, and putting putting the rated R in our archaeology. Yeah, but we'll bleeve him out. Yeah. So that's the stuff we've got on tap. That's the stuff I'm working on. And I'm sure we've both got things we've been you know, lightly looking at or maybe even deeply looking at we haven't talked to each other about.
Speaker 1: But yes, yeah, there's always something, isn't there.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So, and speaking of infield, I've got to finish Playfair's book because the next book in my reading list is by this author Carrine.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I've got Hits and Missus and I've started it, and then I've like, I felt like I'm obligated to not read anything else until i finished this Infield book.
Speaker 4: And thank you.
Speaker 1: I don't mind if you put it aside to finish.
Speaker 4: Have you ever seen a picture of my nightstand?
Speaker 1: It's no, I haven't I built, but yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, no, I'm just very proud of this. I made my own. I kept having these stacks of books falling over all the place, and so I've built a nightstance specifically to keep up with my most active reading lists. I've got bookshelves everywhere in my house like most nerds, but.
Speaker 1: Wow, you are dedicated.
Speaker 4: But yeah, and so I mean, like it's very very very specifically built. So I put like a little place on the side to hold notebooks and pencils in case I wanted john any ideas down. And then I got two rows of bookshelves, and I have recessed LED lighting, and then I have a power strip on the side so that my chargers and stuff from my kindle and my phone are all there.
Speaker 1: You're gonna have to put up a picture of this. I think everyone wants to say this and maybe you should copyright this or something.
Speaker 4: Well, she's like, would you please just shut up about it. I'm like, no, I'm really proud of my work, so I mean, you know, it's just plywould but it's a good design.
Speaker 1: I really like it, so oh but skeptical design amazing.
Speaker 4: But I had to I had to get that done very carefully because I did that in January when I had two weeks of free time to recover from some surgery that I had had, So I wanted to catch listeners up on that. If you're interested in my health, I about two thousand and eight, I got diagnosed with type two diabetes. And it's not something I've really talked about. It's not on the show, really not much at all. They call it the silent killer because well, people don't typically talk about it. It's one of those things that you're told you've got to cut down to your blood sugar and then you're told basically eat these things and that's kind of the extent of it. And unfortunately, that's really hard to do if you've been eating poorly for forty years you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I've heard of lots of cases where people have been able to reverse that diagnosis.
Speaker 4: Though, yeah no, and it's not like an instant death sentence or anything.
Speaker 1: Well, it's really good of you to talk about this, because this is something that most people just keep to the chest. And I think you just want to help people, then I do.
Speaker 4: So when I found was, you know, I didn't have the will power to stop eating the way I needed to, And I looked at a lot of things, and I kept getting very concerned that I was going to start having some of the neurological problems that can be associated with it, and vascular problems. I wasn't having those things, but I was beginning to get really concerned. And my level so sugar had gotten so high they were talking about putting me on insulin. So I decided and to research like stomach surgery and.
Speaker 1: Was it recommended to you or it was something.
Speaker 4: You know, but I have several people in my life have gone through that and had dramatic results, and so something I was always interested in. But circumstances turned out that I was economically able to pull this trick off in January, and so I went to doctor Paul Massik at Northside Hospital in Atlanta, and they performed a gastric sleeve surgery, which essentially is just a stomach reduction. So by reducing the size of the stomach, they found that it not only does it like physically strict the amount of foods you can eat, but it also changes the enzyme of the hormones that are released by your stomach, and it can reduce your appetite. So it's very interesting. But by doing that in conjunction with like a much healthier diet, which is easier to pull off. Honestly, with the smaller stomach, it's much easier to like because it's basically what they do is they shrink your stomach. They take you and put you on a higher protein and vegetable diet, and then the like recommend that you don't eat carbs, or if you do eat carbs, it's like the last thing you eat, so you end up eating protein and vegetables first, and then you're full, and if you wanted to eat a dessert, you might be able to have a bite or whatever, but it's really your full. And that's a really cool feeling because I don't know that i'd been feeling full anytime in the past five or six years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, is this a temporary thing? Is it something that you can have taken out in future?
Speaker 4: This one is not reversible. It's a permanent shrinking of the stomach. And just a reminder, I'm not advocaat this as a solution to every listener's problem, just telling what happened to me and what worked for me, and it was interesting. So right now I'm not completely off. In fact, I'm actually getting tested tomorrow. The they do when you have diabetes that you can test your blood every three months to see how it's going, how it's trending over time. And so I'm down to like the lowest dose of medicine I've ever been off. Fantastic, and it probably will be able to get off of them completely soon, I'm hoping. So my goal is to be at my goal weight and to be off the medage by the end of the year. We'll see.
Speaker 1: It's congratulations on what you've achieved so far, because I've just we've been watching photographs of you on Facebook and you're looking amazing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't have cancer, that's the important thing.
Speaker 1: No way, No, it's.
Speaker 4: Actually all good. You know, there's been really inspirational people in my life who've sort of hacked their body and diet by doing you know, non surgicals dellusions. You know, Pinchulette's lost almost exactly the same amount of weight as me and from the same starting weight, and he's done it all through changing his diet to a vegetarian program. And he's got a new book out called Prestow How He Lost, and it's about how he lost more than one hundred pounds.
Speaker 1: You know. So I think you've seen I've lost a lot of weight over the years, But with me, I didn't have bariatric surgery or anything like that. I think when you first met me back at Dragon Conn in about two thousand and eight, I was considerably bigger.
Speaker 4: Well yeah, you looked fine to me, but you mentioned that you had been bigger, and I just like, okay, And I was sympathetic because yeah, I've been up and down.
Speaker 1: But you know, i'll be honest here since you're being honest, and I lost over one hundred pounds. Nice, and I went from a size twenty four down to a size eight.
Speaker 4: Wow, we've lost like another like a couple.
Speaker 1: Of people yeah.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that was over a period of about five years. So I did it very gradually, and that was mostly by exercise and diet changes. I went pescatarian, so I grew up vegetarian because my mother was vegetarian, and so I went through a period of eating meat, and then I thought, you know, I'm going to cut out a lot of things that I'm having in my diet which can lead to me being larger, which is burgers and sausages and various things. And so I just went with seafood and predominantly vegetarian diet and just did a stack of walking. I went walking every day, maybe one two hours a day, and just just dropped it very slowly.
Speaker 4: That's awesome.
Speaker 1: But it's been a way of life, you know, diet in the sense of a way of life.
Speaker 4: It seems like it has to be. I mean, I mean, I know that there are people who get the bariatric surgery and then gain weight back, and I guess I don't want to turn this into the diet show, but I do. I mean, well, we.
Speaker 1: Should do an episode on that. I'm sure that we can have a monster angle to it.
Speaker 4: Oh you know, actually I wrote a story one time.
Speaker 1: Of course, it has to be a link somewhere.
Speaker 4: Well, it was one of the I was trying to do it for like a short film, and it was you know the old urban legend about that they put razor blades in the candy.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, the apples.
Speaker 4: And so in the story, a kid's going to a like he's coming home from trigger treating. His mom's driving. They're listening to the radio and they mentioned on the radio that they're offering free X rays for candy at the hospital so that they can check for razor blades. And so the mom drives them over there. And then when they take the candy and they run it back through the X ray machine. It's a crazy idea now that I'm older, but I remember when I wrote it, I thought, yeah, that's a great community service. Now, yeah, your insurance won't pay for that. It's going to cost you thousands of dollars or something ridiculous. Anyway, the proofs of the story is, though they x ray the candy and something happens. The guy spills a soda on the X ray machine and too much x uy energy goes into the candy and it starts to grow and it becomes a candy monster, right, and it's chasing a kid through the hospital, and it's just the kids being like relently chased by this monster. It's entirely composed of candy, and you know, it's Halloween night, and the monster's alive and he's running and he's running, and finally he runs into one of these like, you know, meeting rooms they have at hospitals. You can kind of see that, the kids running, and then the monster kind of comes in after him and then stops. And then all the people in the room turn and stop, and it's like an overeater's anonymous thing, and they're all these huge, fat people and they look at the candy monster, and the candy monster looks at them. And then the next scenes, all the fat people standing there with candy all over their faces and there's no monster.
Speaker 1: You know, how old were you when you heard this?
Speaker 4: It's like twenty five, you know, just a kid.
Speaker 1: Oh god, yeah, you're making me think of a show I watched. It was a documentary. I watched it some time ago, and there was a real life case, I guess, of life imitating art and there was a guy who did put razor blades or something or poison into some sort of candy and fit it to his own kids.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 4: In fact, we actually talked about that on Monster Talk in the Slenderman episode. Oh there's a name for that phenomenon when when a folklore item is acted out. I can't think of the word. It's a really cool word. We need a folk well, or we need better records of what said in her episode.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Well you know there's so let me interrupt again to say the narrative. I guess to say thank you to all the people who have been responding to our request for support. I don't know why we never thought of it before, but the idea of having books from our wish list on Amazon has been phenomenal. I think I've already gotten four books just and my wife's Like, I thought we were saving money. Why are all these books showing out like you won't believe it?
Speaker 1: Oh, how kind It's the best thing.
Speaker 4: So I'm super excited because all that work, I mean all the By the way, if you do that, please, if you buy a physical book, buy a used one. I can read a used book just as well as an expensive new one or a kindle or kindle. If you get a kindle version, then I can share it with Karen and we don't have to we only need one copy to share the information. So those are great though. I really appreciate that, and we're going to have to figure out a way to thank everybody besides me just say thank you.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I think maybe, I mean, we can start answering questions as well from people. We get a lot of questions on the Facebook group, and I think be fun to start talking back to the listeners.
Speaker 4: I think so too. I do try to mention it when we get quite well. Of course, what we usually do is respond to the questions via email. Right, So you're right, we don't really talk. We talk, we'll talk extensively via email, but it might make sense to answer them right online. That's a good point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, we do get a few emails every week, you know. I get people messaging me on Facebook and following me on Twitter, and I follow back and then they send me direct messages and so yeah, we have people who are really into the show and very interactive with it.
Speaker 4: I love that. I really do, me too.
Speaker 1: I love hearing from people, and I love the suggestions that people have for future shows.
Speaker 4: And I was also thinking about that we've got Patreon. The reason I haven't made it active is because I want to make sure that for me, at least I know you've got one. But for the show Patreon thing, I haven't made it active until I could figure out what I can do to make it like it's like it's built to have returns, like if you do it, we'll do these things like rewards if you will the only one this come to mind. And I don't know how people would feel about this, or whether they would want it or not, but I was thinking about if you contribute even a dollar, maybe we could do a monthly newsletter and so for a dollar a month or whatever that you get the newsletter.
Speaker 1: And I think that's a great idea. It'd be good to have feedback from listeners and see what they think. But I think to certainly answer questions and I can throw in some books.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that's a good idea. I should write a book. Oh yeah, I'm supposed to be doing that.
Speaker 1: You get it done.
Speaker 4: I'm so excited about it. The more i'm I'm getting very active in the writing now instead of just the problem is I've got that condition. I guess the same one we talked about Montague Summers, where you just want to keep researching it, like, well, that's interesting. What does that lead to? Oh that's interesting, what does that lead to?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, what point do you finish? Right?
Speaker 4: This strange world where I've my insatiable curiosity has met the bottomless well of the internet, and it could be a really tough thing to break away and just get the work done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you'll get there. You need a good edison.
Speaker 4: I do. I do. I need to slap on the back get back to work, you know. Oh wow, But I am delighted in that. So what we'll do? Also, I want to like have some kind of clever way to you know, not rank that's the wrong word. I appreciate a dollar as much as fifty dollars. I appreciate it all. I'm well, not exactly as much, but I appreciate it. I don't want to turn it into the kind of thing where people who want to give a thousand dollars can just come be a co host for an episode, because it's like, that's not really fair because.
Speaker 1: Other people who don't have a thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: I can't explain why exactly. I mean it's like, I appreciate it, but I'm not really doing the show for the money. I'm doing it these little these contributions help offset the cost of what we've dumped into the show financially and buying resource materials, and just all the time that we put into it.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, an enormous amount of time. And it's just got to the point where I think we've kind of had to ask for a bit of support.
Speaker 4: I would say that while we couldn't do the show or I definitely couldn't without my wife's support, the delight that she showed on her face when she realized that all four of the Amazon packages that came didn't cost us a penny were really worth it.
Speaker 1: It was totally Oh, that's not a call out for more books. That's really kind. Our listeners are fantastic.
Speaker 4: They are They are really lucky. And now, personally, if you just say, oh, man, I like Karen so much, but I hate Blake, well she's got a Patreon page. It's like if you're like, oh.
Speaker 1: I haven't really done it. I haven't done a launch, I haven't done anything with it. It's just one of those things that you know you're thinking I'm doing all of these things. Perhaps I should start monetizing.
Speaker 4: Well, you could review a hit or missus and you could buy a copy, not in that order.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I definitely appreciate that, and I can't wait for you to read it and to get an editorial review from you.
Speaker 4: Well, I like that the first chapter was very sexy, and I'm.
Speaker 1: Hoping it to really hook people and drag them in. And certainly I've had a lot of feedback about this chapter.
Speaker 4: Made me consider changing careers to psychic Yeah yeah, but yeah so. But also I don't want to harp on that too much. This is no.
Speaker 1: We just want to thank everyone.
Speaker 4: I do want to thank everyone, even just.
Speaker 1: Just listening to the show. We just appreciate your support.
Speaker 4: Yes, absolutely, And you know again, if you have zero dollars and or if you have lots of dollars and don't want to give any but you want to support the show. An iTunes review is great?
Speaker 1: Yeah, are even a download?
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah? Yeah. Or when friends leave their phones, subscribe them against.
Speaker 1: The will the right recommend the show?
Speaker 4: Yeah, or recommend the show. I guess you do it that way if you don't want to sneak around one all the other awesome, Well that was all the things on my list.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me too. I'm excited about everything we've got coming up.
Speaker 4: I am too. I wish it was all in the can. Basically, I want to be like putting these episodes out. I'm so excited. Every one of these conversations we've got planned is just.
Speaker 1: Well a lot of these things are finally catching up on stuff we wanted to do for years.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is great. So and I'm sure we'll have many more things. That's one more thing to say. The idea about the newsletter is I thought it would be fun because there's topics that we know about or want to talk about, like maybe profiles of specific small monster cases that aren't really probably suitable for a whole episode. But what I was thinking is if we did mini profiles in the newsletter, like one a month, then maybe like quarterly or something, we could do an episode where we kind of bring it all to them as an audio thing. But if you're a subscriber, then you would get that information early.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a great idea. That's a really good one because there's just lots of little stories and there isn't much information out there to go by, but they're still worth mentioning monster.
Speaker 4: You've been listening to Monster Talk. I'm Blake Smith.
Speaker 1: And I'm Karen Stolsner.
Speaker 6: Monster Talk is an official podcast of Skeptic Magazine. The views expressed here are those of myself and my co host and do not necessarily represent the views of Skeptic Magazine are the Skeptic Society. If you'd like to support Monster Talk, please give us a review on iTunes or go to our support page as Talk or forge Slash support. Thanks to everyone who's given us a book or contributed to the show. I plan to get some kind of formal thank you page together to acknowledge your generous gifts, and if you do send us a book, be sure and shoot us an email to let us know who to thank. Monster Talk theme music is by Pete Stealing Monkeys. Thanks again for listening.
Speaker 3: Want to stay abreast of the latest from Skeptic Magazine and the Skeptic Society. Want cutting edge skeptical articles delivered straight to your inbox every week, then subscribe to e Skeptic, the free electronic newsletter of the Skeptic Society. Visits skeptic dot com to sign up.
Speaker 4: It's a slow and insipid is as you yes, white, It's tepid and it's a pastiche. It's terrible what you have as many wrong words as I possibly can, So allow me to circumcise for a moment about diabetes.
Speaker 1: Not without condiments.
Speaker 4: That's right,