Speaker 1: Coming to you from Studio A here at Proven Winners Color Choice Shrubs. It's time for the Gardening Simplified Show with Stacy, Hervella me, Rick Weist, and our engineer and producer Adrianna Robinson Stacy. Today we talk about hanging baskets. It's Mother's Day weekend and so hanging baskets are kind of a big deal. They were a big deal, I guess to King Nebekenezzar and Babylon way back when the famous hanging gardens where allegedly hanging baskets got their start. May baskets were a big deal back in the eighteen hundreds and nineteen hundreds. People would fill little baskets with candies and cut flowers and hang them on the door knob of their neighbor.
Speaker 2: That's the tradition we should bring back. That's quite lovely.
Speaker 1: I think we should exactly. And then, of course the Saturday before Mother's Day and garden centers is considered basket because well, what are you gonna get for mom? And a hanging basket, of course, is a great gift. IDEA. One flower that sticks out in my mind because when I first started out in the garden center industry years ago, we would sell all kinds of them, still do today. But it made a great Mother's Day hanging basket. And that is Fuchio's.
Speaker 2: Oh yep, classic choice. And you know, attract hummingbirds. So if mom likes hummingbirds, can't go wrong with a fusia. Although I will say I did buy my mom fusia hanging baskets for many years and she didn't love them because they need a dead heading.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, So even though they.
Speaker 2: Did attract hummingbirds and that was great. And also if depending on where you live, if it gets really hot in the summer, they will kind of slow down, yes, and not be as fabulous. But I'll tell you fusha flowers are some of the prettiest flowers. And the colors are just irresistible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you can give them a little bit of shade, you can get upright and pendulating. There's a cultivar out called black Key Midnight. Have a picture for our YouTube viewers of that. There's eruptions all different types of fusia cultivars. And then of course I also love bogonia baskets. You can get tubris, fibrous rex, bogonias pendulating begonias. Bogonia foliage, by the way, if you're growing them in a hanging basket, are notorious for deflecting irrigation. Water. Yeah, I think you're watering that basket, but it's deflecting off the off the foliage. And then of course angel wing bogonias also have become very popular over the past.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so like Bonfire and all of those fabulous choices. Right colors though on Bonfire, which I actually love best, bright orange, al switch tracks, hummingbirds.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly. Now, when you purchase a hanging basket or give one to mom, most hanging baskets you'll find in garden centers come in a plastic ten inch basket.
Speaker 2: I'm going to give that a thumbs down. Same here, because I don't buy that kind for my mom.
Speaker 1: And so what I want you to do, and that's fabulous, Your mom is lucky. What I want to do is just point out to people that there's nothing wrong with upsizing those. In other words, I view those ten inch poly baskets as a delivery container, similar to how you would go to the grocery store and let's say buy cool whip. Okay, yeah, cool whip invented in the nineteen sixties. To this day, we still do not know what non dairy cool whip is made of. But that's a whole other story. I like cool whip containers because I can store nuts and bolts and nails and that kind of stuff. So what do you do with that ten inch hanging basket? Because I like to upsize into a twelve inch, fourteen inch or sixteen inch basket, maybe a Sphagnum moss basket, or just go online and look, there are a multitude of great twelve to sixteen inch sized baskets that you can purchase to upsize your your hanging basket.
Speaker 2: Right and upscale it. I think that's really important too, because you know that plastic container in most scenarios where you're hanging a hanging basket, that container is like right and eye level, so you're looking not at this fabulous plant, but this kind of junkie white molded like these weird waves, you know, kind of containers. And I understand that's the lowest cost for garden centers and that's why they do that, But I always do prefer to get my mom a bigger hanging basket that's in more of the moss type or even the cardboard, the cord fiber, yeah, that pressed cord fiber even, that's just something that looks a little bit more organic, so that while the hanging basket is growing out, and most do eventually grow out, that's kind of why they're hanging baskets, because they're big plants that are going to overgrow the basket in time. It just looks a little you know, more organic and nice. But I think it's a great idea to invest in really high quality hanging back baskets which aren't going to cost that much, that go with your decor of your home, and that you can plant into every single year, and that's always going to look a lot nicer. And that's a good way to save the money by buying the inexpensive plastic hanging basket, but give it more of that upscale.
Speaker 1: Look exactly how I feel. And then when you do that, make sure to use a good quality, lightweight potting mix or soil where you can upsize into that basket. You could consider using soil moist granules, just a few granules in the soil to help hold the moisture in because one of the key aspects of hanging baskets. If you're buying one of these ten inch hanging baskets and hanging that thing up, is that as the season progresses, the root system develops and creates a firm or solid surface along the top. Also, if the soil dries a little bit, it contracts away from the side of the pot, then you're watering that pot. It's running across the surface down the sides and not getting the rootball.
Speaker 2: What never really saturating it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So when growing hanging baskets, I'd love to just walk along and lift up on them. Tell by the weight of the basket whether or not it needs moisture. And I like to keep a screwdriver handy because I just puncture some holes to basically cut into that surface tension and stacy. You're going to have a lot easier job watering your hanging basket.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And you know, for anyone who is listening who is getting this into their head, for the love of your mother or anyone else important in your life, do not put a diaper in a hanging basket in an attempt to make it hold more water. No matter what you've seen on interest or any other social media site, any parent can tell you that a diaper is intended to hold onto moisture and not release it. And that is exactly what's going to happen in your hanging basket. Is you're going to have a really gross, dirty dipe that is just full of soil and water that is not doing anything for your planet except actually taking away space that could have been soiled that could have actually helped it. So, no matter what you've read, and a man, I tell you off topic, but I feel like the misinformation on social media right now is just going through like a wildfire. It's just we are in the season, So don't believe everything that you hear. And please, if you are repotting a hanging basket, do not put a diaper in it.
Speaker 1: That's right. Instead, you should pamper your baskets.
Speaker 2: That's exactly. That's a good idea.
Speaker 1: Coming up in segment four today we will talk about plants that are great in hanging baskets, because I think you should pot up your own hanging baskets. Combinations are great proven winners. On their website has countless recipes that you can tap into where you take two or three different types of plants and plant them, some of them quite simple. I love the vista view you recipe. I use it every year. It's just three different types of supertunias, including the bubblegum supertunia. But boy do they perform as a hanging basket. So we'll talk about that. We're also going to talk about on a different subject, tulips and the different types of tulips. Now that they're in bloom, you can see the different types of tulips that you could grow in your garden. We'll also talk about that in segment for today. While we're on this subject of hanging baskets, and I think this is a subject stacy that probably you and I both have very strong opinions on. Let me give you a limb a rick that I wrote about hanging baskets. It's called the basket case. My baskets hang around my place, hung without enough headspace. Be very careful where you tread. You're liable to bonk your head and become a basket case. So if your head you clobber, take some asp for that throbber. Don't be upset. Get a grip, because that basket is next going to drip on your clean white shirt. It will slob.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Again, Having worked in the garden center industry for years, Stacy, I wish I had a dime for every time I've walked into a hanging basket or bunked my head on one.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, or that feeling when it drips down and it goes right down the back of your neck and down your shirts is not good. So all of that is to say at home, if you're having guests or you're planning to hang out on your patio or porch later in the day, do the watering in the morning. Let them drain through and avoid that whole mess.
Speaker 1: Yes, And another suggestion, get yourself a good watering wand. So if you are not installing drip irrigation on these hanging baskets, get a good quality watering wand. And the very first thing you do, at least I do, is I take that watering wand, I pull out the cheap washer that's in there, and I put in a good quality rubber washer. Because there's nothing worse than holding that watering wand up and having that water run right down your arm, into your armpits down your side and it's cold and it's miserable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, a hanging basket watering wand is a life changer, Like if you don't have one, you will not believe how much easier it is to care for that. So if you are looking up to looking to up your Mother's Day gift game, you know, maybe think about that hanging basket watering wand instead of just the hanging basket. If you feel like you know, hey two into hanging baskets. I'm getting moum watering wand this year. She will so appreciate it.
Speaker 1: I love it. Put a bow on it. Stacy's next with plants on trial here on the Gardening Simplified Show.
Speaker 2: Beautify your home and community with Proven Winner's Color Choice Shrubs with over three hundred and twenty five unique varieties to choose from. There's a flowering shrubb or evergreen, forever Retaste and every space. Just look for the distinctive white container your local garden center or learn more at Proven Winners Color Choice dot com. Greetings, plant peeps, and welcome.
Speaker 1: Keep rolling. We're gonna use this, okay.
Speaker 2: Sorry, you know, I've been thinking about trying to change up my greeting and I've been puzzling over it, and i was like, is this going to be the day I'm gonna go for it. I'm gonna give it a whirl, and it yeah, it obviously did not feel natural. So greetings gardening friends, and welcome back to the Gardening Simplified Show, where for the time being, I will be sticking with my traditional welcoming greeting. Obviously, Happy Mother's Day. Yes, Happy Mother's Day to my wonderful mom, uh and to moms everywhere. And you know, we're talking about hanging baskets because it is a classic gift. And I think one of the reasons that a hanging basket is such a classic gift for mom is because they do tend to be little bit more expensive. Yes, you know, and whether or not your mom really considers herself a gardener, it is a little bit. Especially a big nice one is a bit of a splurge.
Speaker 1: But they're grab and go. It's easy. Pick out a couple nice ones, grab and go, one in each hand. And that's why we talked about in the first segment that's wonderful. It's a delivery container. But think about upsize well.
Speaker 2: And the other part of it too, is that you're not giving mom work. Now some of our moms are gardeners and are happy to you know, get a bunch of fabulous Proven Winns annuals and get to work planting them in their planters and pots or whatever. But a lot of them are not, and they want something beautiful, and that that's the great thing is it's a grab and go. You give that hanging basket to mom, you hang it up on the hanger for and you know, your work there is done and she gets to enjoy a fabulous hanging basket all season long. Now, obviously, you know this show is primarily about Proven Winners colored Choice shrubs, so we do have a vested interest in Proven winners. But I will say honestly that when it comes to hanging baskets, Proven Winners plants in a hanging basket are usually pretty clearly denoted. They either have the tags in them or a special hanging basket tag. And you know, if if this is your first time tuning in, it is really worth mentioning that all of the Proven Winner's annuals, all of the Proven Winner's plants in general, but this is especially important for Proven Winners annuals, and talking about hanging baskets, Uh, they are all tested to really outperform what is already on the market. So you know, we've talked numerous times about say, super Tunia Vista bubble Gum petunia, which is super popular, probably the best selling proven winners, uh you know, annual, And the reason for that is because it doesn't need dead heading. So your mom might say, oh, I don't like petunias. They need dead heading, they smell terrible. Super Tunia Vista bubble Gum doesn't need dead heading. So you're choosing plants that will actually perform better and bloom all summer for mom and not just one of those ones that are going to peter out. And then you know, your mom's like, well, that was a crummy hanging basket. So they really do make the better choice. I'm not just saying that because I work here. I'm saying that because I know the process and everything that goes into them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not only do the plants have great genetics, but the plants are tested, as you said, and even the recipes and the combinations are also tested and proven, and so you can proceed forward with confidence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's important too, because sometimes you get a fabulous looking hanging basket in may and the plants don't all kind of grow at the same rate, and then something, some really important key element of it gets totally overwhelmed and it disappears and you're like, oh, wait, wasn't there like this other plant in there. So they are like really scientifically tested to make sure that all of the plants in there are compatible and will give you that nice colorful look all season loss it will look like what you bought, which is important. But when it comes to hanging baskets, shrubs, which we usually talk about here on Plants on trial, not the first plant that comes to mind. I mean, if you stretch your imagination, you can say, okay, well maybe like ivy. Ivy is in theory, Actually not ivy is a woody plant, though of course in hanging baskets they don't ever really reach that point where they're actually putting on woody growth. That's probably as close as you could find, generally speaking, to any kind of shrub or woody plant truly woody plant in a hanging basket, and over the years we have definitely experimented with different plants in hanging baskets in our R and D facility research and development, trying to find out if there are other plants that we can put in a hanging basket and you know, make that a more interesting way to kind of decorate and enjoy plants. And most of them have not been successful because generally speaking, with these woody plants, they want to grow up, and so when you try to put them in a hanging basket, which you want to grow usually down and have that cascading effect, they won't do that. They'll just grow up and they'll try to cling to the basket hangers and it just does not work out that well. But there is one major exception, and that is well one of them is today's plant on trial. The major exception fairy trail cascade hydranges. Love that plant, so you can kind of guess by the name right there, trail and cascade. These are hydrangeas that naturally grow with a very cascading sort of trailing habit. And the first and original plant, which has actually already been a plant on trial, was fairy trail bride cascade hydrangea. And this was a plant on trial a little over a year ago, and it was the first one in the series. And this is a plant that was sold in the EU and the UK as Runaway Bride hydrangea. So Runaway Bride got a ton of notoriety because it won in twenty eighteen the Chelsea Flower Show Plant of the Year and people went bonkers for it. They had never seen anything like it, and it was not actually available in the US until we were able to get the rights to it in about twenty twenty one, twenty twenty two. So it's a fairly recent plant to be available here in the US, and we're really thrilled about that. And you know, it is actually developed. Some people might not know this by Ushiosakazaki, who is the same plant breeder who developed the Supertunia Vista series too Supertunia Vista bubblegum All time bestseller, Proven Winners annual. He also developed Fairy Trail Bride, so you know it's got some serious chops with his talents behind it. So Fairy Trail Bride is a lace cap cascading hydrangeles, that's what we call them. We call them cascade hydranges because we really wanted to differentiate them from big leaf hydranges hydroge of macrophylla, because they are a bit different. So they look a lot like it, but there are some really key differences. So we really felt that to help communicate that to people and understand their different habits and need of care, that we should give them kind of a new category because they're a wide hybrid of different hydrange of species, So we call them cascade hydranges, which really goes to describe their habits. So instead of just growing upward and rounded like most hydrangees do, it grows these long, arching, horizontal stems and it sets flower buds at each individual leaf node along those stems. So it's almost like and it's a little bit weird to say that, to say this, but it's almost like a viburnum, like a double file viburnum, which also looks like this in the spring where you're getting that kind of, you know, very distinctive look of the flowers kind of stacking along the stems. Sure, yes, tearing. So fairy trail bride, like I said, is a lace cap, so the flowers are very large and open. Today's plant on trial, fairy trail white cascade Hydrangea is a mophead cascade hydrangea. So I personally am an equal opportunity hydrange of flower appreciator. I like both the mopheads and the lace caps, and in fact, if I did have a choice to live with only one for the rest of my life, I would actually choose the lace caps. Myself. I do prefer them, but I get why people like the mophead because those are the ones that are big and round and you just want to kind of like put your hands around because they're just so like fluffy. So fairy Trail white cascade Hydrangea is today's plant on trial, and that's what makes it really different. So when you see these plants side by side in the garden center, and there are going to be a lot of these in garden centers this Mother's Day, you'll really be able to decide which one you personally like better. There is also fairy Trail green cascade hydrangea, which is like fairy Trail white in that it's a mophead, but the flowers are green, like that nice fresh green color.
Speaker 1: You know, it's exciting to think of growing something like this in a container or even a large basket. I was gonna mention I have tried flowering shrubs in hanging baskets, like oh so easy roses, But of course these were hanging baskets that were packed with spagnum moss and they were four feet in diamond.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so took a high load to lift things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's not really practical for most people. And many of these plants that you're going to see at your garden center at this time of year are actually going to be in hanging baskets because this plant does look absolutely beautiful and hanging baskets. So I did want to give you a little bit of information in case you are buying one of these for yourself or for your mom this year. They are really going to be very similar to growing a big leaf hyder range. So they bloom on old wood just like the big leaf hyder ranges do. So that means they set their flower buds in winter, and that means that they also are going to not need pruning. So it's a great plant to give as a gift because it's very low maintenance. But of course there's going to be a tag in there that explains all of this, so don't worry. You can give it and you don't have to like explain all of this extra information. So no pruning, blooms on old wood. It does bloom much earlier than big leaf hyder ranges do. So for us outdoors, it's gonna bloom usually probably by about early June, whereas, of course in the garden center they've already been forced to bloom because everyone wants to give their mom a beautiful plant that's already in flower. So don't be totally deceived by the bloom time. But they do bloom quite a bit earlier than the big leaf hyder ranges do. Now there's one key differ that we really want everyone to know about these. Because they do bloom earlier than big leaf hydranges do, they are actually more susceptible to spring frost damage. So they bloom on old wood. They have their flower buds all through winter. Spring comes along, it starts to get warm, the plant starts to leaf out and open up those flower buds a little bit more. Because it is going to be so much more close to its bloom time than a big leaf hydrange, it actually can make those flower buds a little bit more susceptible to cold damage even than a max. So what we recommend for these is that you plant them in parts sun only, and we actually recommend that that part sun occur in the morning. Now, this might all sound like oddly specific, but there's a good reason for it, and that is that when you plant it in that part sun for the morning, if a frost or freeze does occur, the frost or ice crystals will actually melt very slowly instead of all at once, like when the sun comes over the horizon hits that all of that cold water instantly melts onto that bud and damages it. Interesting, so if you plant it so it is shaded in the spring in the morning, then what's going to happen is that those ice crystals will melt very slowly, and that will help to prevent the damage to those flower buds. You can also just throw a blanket or a towel or something like that over the plant on any night that one of these frosts or freezes threatens. But that's really the only kind of tricky little thing to know about it. If you buy your Mama hanging basket once, you should can certainly enjoy it as those flowers persist. But once those flowers start to fade in a few weeks, it can just be taken out and plant it in the garden.
Speaker 1: I really love this plant and it's exciting and for folks who are riding in their car or in the yard listening to us, folks listening to the podcast or radio version of this show, just a reminder that this plant's name is fairy Trail t r Ail, not fairy tail white cascade hydrant.
Speaker 2: That's right, and it's available garden center near you for you or your mom or anyone who's special in your life. We're gonna take a little break. When we come back, we're gonna be opening up the garden mail bags, so please stay tuned. At Proven Winner's Color Choice Shrubs, we know that a better landscape starts with a better shrub. Our team of experts tests and evaluates all of our flowering shrubs in evergreens for eight to ten years to ensure they outperform what's already on the market. For easycare, reliable, beautiful shrubs to accentuate your home and express your personal style, look for Proven Winner's Shrubs in the distinctive white container at your local garden center or learn more at proven Winner's Color Choice dot com. Greeting's Gardening Friends and No, I am not attempting another greeting variation. Although if you have a suggestion for me, you can certainly leave it as a comment on YouTube. I would be interested to hear it. I'll keep workshopping it and we'll see. Not that I have anything wrong with greeting's gardening friends, but you know, it's just just exactly you know, some alternatives something else. But you know, we understand that not everybody is actually like a gardener. You know, some people are interested in plants, they want to be better homeowners, they want to be able to take care of their landscape.
Speaker 1: They may not, I mean, you know, you're preaching to the choir. I always said, hello entremneurs and that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I can't take that. That's yr for everybody. Oh that's your thing. That's so I need to come up with my things. So we're working on that. But not everyone considers themselves a gardener. Some people, like I said, are just trying to learn how to better maintain their landscapes, or they're just you know, curious and want to have more information about plants and their brains for those awkward moments at cocktail parties and the like.
Speaker 1: That's why we're here.
Speaker 2: So in that case, if you have questions about your garden and things that you should or shouldn't be doing or plants. You can always reach us at Gardening Simplified on air dot com. That is the show website. And my apologies to the person who commented on YouTube that going to our show notes lately has just been a link to the YouTube video. I am sorry about that. My schedule has been a little hectic, but once things calm down a little bit, I will go back to adding the resources there because we do want those there for you. So you know, this is the garden industry, so it's a little bit of a little bit of a hectic time for us here on time, right, But in any case, you can also go there and email us with your gardening questions and if you need an urgent answer, since we only do the show once a week, you can also go to Proven Winner's Color Choice dot com or Proven Winners dot com and use the contact form there to reach out and you will get a personalized answer, not an AI answer from a bot. You will get an answer from an actual horticulturist who wants you to succeed. And that's one of the things that makes Proven Winners different.
Speaker 1: So and as always maintain your compost.
Speaker 2: See you got that's your thing. Yeah, all right, I'll keep working on my thing. Maybe when i'm working in the garden this weekend, something well, something will come to me. Our first question comes from Randy, and I thought this was a good question. He sent some pictures of his plants. He received an order or an online order of plants, and they were in rough shape and he was worried about them, and so I thought this would be a good opportunity for us to kind of talk about for people who do order plants online, kind of what to expect and how to deal with these situations. Now, I love shopping in garden centers, and I think it's important that people realize that, for the most part, you're always going to get the best value in plants by shopping at a garden center because you don't have to worry about shipping, and you're not then paying to have you know, this giant three gallon container, if they indeed even offer a three gallon sized container, you know, shipped halfway across the country or whatever. Everything's been trucked. It's you know, locally grown, so you will spend less for a bigger plant in person. But of course, sometimes people want to buy something and their stores don't stock it, and the people can't you know, the people who own the garden center are unable to source it. So ordering online in those conditions can be a really good alternative. And for the most part, I would say that the majority of online plant nurseries are really good and really reputable, and they want to help. They don't want you to fail. They want to send you a good product. But of course, lots of things can go wrong in between the time it leaves their greenhouse and arrives at your at your doorstop. And you know, we've all had packages of things that were less fragile than plants arrive on our doorstops in less than ideal conditions, So you can imagine if something goes wrong with the plants in the shipping, how they're going to arrive. So I would say, first of all, if you notice something wrong with your plants when they arrive, reach out to the company right away. You don't have to be angry. They're going to want to help.
Speaker 1: You.
Speaker 2: Take a picture of what you're seeing, or a couple pictures, and immediately reach out to them and just say, hey, this is how my plants arrived. That is really important to document that process. Now, it's very possible, depending on how they look, that the company will tell you to just take a wait and see approach, because very often the plants will recover. I know, it's not a great feeling to open up the box that you were so excited to get and the plants don't look amazing, but very often they will recover. They just need some time to kind of recover from that shipping shock, and you can sort of tuck them back into their containers. So they may ask you to wait and see what happens, and you know, take that with a grain of salt, knowing that they will back up their product, but that you should, you know, give it a chance to see if it will recover. Make sure that you water them right away, unless they are coming out very, very soggy, which is not typically the case, but crazy things do happen. Water them and keep them in a shaded location. This is important because you know, not only have they been in a protected greenhouse, now they just spent a week or so in a dark box and now they're in your backyard and they're just like, what in the world is going on here? So you don't want to just expose them right away to bright sunshine. Remove any packaging as you're keeping them, if they're wrapped in plastic.
Speaker 1: Or anything like that's the keys. That's an absolute key. Again, when I was running a garden center, we'd get a lot of plants in boxes, primarily tropical plants. When we get them in we always had box cutters in our pockets because the shrink wrap comes off the palette right away, you get the boxes out of the sun. And also if you can't get to the plants right away, just cut open the tops and let them air out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the bare minimum that you should do, is just make sure they're getting air. And then again keep them in the shade because they've just been in this dark box and they're going to need to acclimate back to sun even if they're full sun plants gradually, So give them a few days in the shade to kind of recover. And one last tip here. If the plants that you purchase have colorful foliage like purple foliage or yellow foliage or something like that and the plant arrives green, don't be shocked. They most likely did not send the wrong plant. Although it's always worth asking. But a lot of these plants either don't develop good leaf color in the greenhouse environment, or they developed it fine in the greenhouse environment, but they lost it being in a dark box for a few days. So we see this a lot with our blacklace elderberry. I'll tell you if there is one plant that people order by mail order that they've written me about and said I don't know what to do it doesn't look good, it is probably black lace elderly. This plant does not enjoy being in a dark box, and it shows that by turning green instead of the dark purple that it actually will be in the in the gardens. So you know, don't panic. If you see that. You can certainly let the company know just in case there was a mix up, and they will note that in the order. But for the most part, you know, they just need a few days acclimate, get out into the sun and they will take on the color and be everything that you dreamed of. Are so just a couple tips there from people who are looking at purchasing plants online.
Speaker 1: Stacy Valerie writes to us, I have a perfect storm that I want to transplant. I'm in zone five be should I transplant now or wait until I see growth showing, which is typically the beginning of June. So perfect storm, Stacy, I'm thinking we're talking about Summerrific high biscus.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's the one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And if that's the case, my personal opinion, because it's a late bloomer, do it.
Speaker 2: Now, Absolutely, do it now. This plant will be so much happier if do the transplanting well it is dormant and not once it starts growing. Because once this plant starts growing, And just a reminder to anyone who has the Summerific or any other perennial hibiscus in their garden, these are absolutely, hands down the last plant to emerge in spring, no matter where you are. They emerge later than anything else. They are like waiting to cross the finish line till the very last minute. And so once that growth comes out, usually for us in Michigan here it's probably Memorial Day weekend. I've found for my summer efics. Once that happens, that growth is going to be very delicate, the way that it comes out of the root mass or the crown of the plant, very easy to damage that. And if you were to damage that growth in the transplanting process, it may not be able to put out more growth that season, and whether or not it can survive that really depends, because then it won't have the benefit of photosynthesizing all summer long to do that. Overall, I have transplanted summerfic hybiscus a lot in my time. I mean, I've transplanted more than my share of them, just because you know, I change my mind about colors. I have a lot of them, and they are actually very amenable to transplanting. And even if you accidentally cause quite a lot of damage to their roots, and their roots are really thick, they're almost like woody roots. They're not really fleshy roots. They're very fibrous. But even if you like cause some damage and you break them apart a little bit, or you know, lose a big chunk of it, the plant can recover. It may or may not flower, or it may flower less as it's trying to recover from that substantial root loss. But overall, I feel like these plants are very, very amenable to transplanting. The trick that I have found is, especially if you do a good job at digging up the root ball, which you should attempt to do if at all possible. Trying to fit that into the new hole is like not an easy task, you know, because they're throwing all over the place, and you got to position them, and you've got to put a little more soil on this side so that you kind of even out what's going on this side. So they take a little bit of a steady hand to figure out exactly how you're going to get them in there. But if you just put the extra soil in, you know, a container or a tub or some things that you can kind of use it to maneuver the plant in Overall, I have found, you know, knock on wood, but I haven't lost any to transplanting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I haven't either. And you're looking at a tough native plant, is what you're looking at. And you know, the old approach also of trying to move a plant when it's dormant is probably the best rule to stick by, absolutely and again because it's going to be blooming in August probably in zone five B. Doing it now, I think it's the time to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And like I said, you may have fewer flowers, but you are likely to still have some. But yeah, once that growth comes out. This job is going to be infinitely more tricky and complicated, so do it now and hopefully to be able to enjoy some great flowers in it's new home this summer. We're going to take a little break. When we come back, we're going to be sharing some favorite hanging basket plits as well as talking tulips, so please stay tuned. Thanks for listening to The Gardening Simplified podcast, brought to you by Proven Winners Color Choice Shrubs. Our award winning flowering shrubs and evergreens are trialed and tested by experts with your success in mind. Learn more at Proven Winners color Choice dot com.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Gardening Simplified, Joe. We'll continue our talk on hanging baskets today, but prior to that, Stacy, I wanted to mention here in West Michigan, it's tulip time, and of course my parents were from the Netherlands, so I'm kind of into tulips. I went out the other day shot some pictures we'll show our viewers on YouTube. Also posted some stuff in social media, and I was surprised at the number of people who reached out to me and said that tulip is incredible. What is that? It was a frilly type of tulip that had the green streaks and multi colors in it, and I said, well, that's a parrot tulip, and they're like, what's a parrot tulip? And then I realized a lot of people do not know that tulips basically are in different classifications. So there's all sorts of cultivars and hybrid tulips with registered names. But they organize these tulips into groups by shape, heritage, and flowering time. And I thought I'd take one minute just to share with you that there are many different types. For example, there are single early tulips which are perfect for forcing in pots, double early tulips that almost resemble peonies, triumph tulips which are a mid season cross of early and late Darwin hybrids which have a big traditional look, single lates that are very elegant. And then you get into some of these interesting tulips lily flowering look that have this flared lily look to them, fringed, crimped, wildly cut feathery viid flora which have the green streaks in them from base to tip. The Rembrandt tulips I mentioned, the parrot tulips, the double lates, the calfmania tulips, petite, very early flowering, All of these are I love the Fosteriana tulips Red Emperor is one very large flowers, but short plants ten to sixteen inches. Greggy I tulips distinctive modeled foliage, very short, but big blooms on them. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that not all tulips are created the same. And when you buy them and fall and put them in the ground, do a little bit of research and look, because fringed or lily or parrot tulips are sensational.
Speaker 2: Yes, I agree. And you know those parrot tulips or rembrant tulips are the ones that are modern hybrids or attempts to recreate the classic broken color tulips that caused infamous tulipmania that was actually caused by a virus, which was why the tulip bubble burst. So you don't have to worry about that. Don't cause a tulip bubble, but you don't have to worry about that with these because these are actually stable hybrids that were not caused by a virus. They're just an attempt to bring back that cool old look. And I think this is an important thing to mention because, you know, being tulip time out here in West Michigan, a lot of people will see the city of Holland plants all of these tulips, so they have that really long season of bloom, and so those early start blooming and everyone says, oh my gosh, it's tulip time ruined. All the tulips are blooming. Now, no they're not. That's just the early tulips. But they really do include all of these different groups so that you have that perpetual, you know, ongoing show of flowers that bloom at different times. And you know, so if you're shopping just at like a local you know, box store or even a garden center, you're not likely to get that much detail on what type you're buying, Like it might say that it's a Darwin Hybrid or something like that, but for the most part, or just say like you know, Red Emperor or what, I just have the variety name. So if you want that extra information, it does pay to do some research and you know, order online. A lot of bulb suppliers that you can order online from will offer a discount if you buy in spring and reserve your plants to be shipped. The bulbs will be shipped in fall. And yeah, so that's a great way to get really really cool tulips that your neighbors are not going to have. But but you have tulips, they've got to be in your deer compound.
Speaker 1: They're in the compound because deer. It's candy to.
Speaker 2: A Yes, now I have not. I've I have attempted to grow tulips before the full realization of how bad my dear issue was was apparent, and I have This is funny, uh sort of, except I'm probably jinxing myself. I have a couple of small plays of species tulips up against a fence that I don't think they can get their little deer noses down there, because there's like a three inch space between like my driveway and the neighbor's fence. So I kind of try to use that to get a little stand of some of some species seals because species tulips are my favorite.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and species tulips, you could say, are the originals, and they reliably come back year after year, arguably better than let's say, some of the hybridized varieties, and there's all other sorts of issues like planting depth and that type of thing. I won't get into that today. Just the main point here is to understand that there's roughly about fifteen different categories or groups and get to know those groups because I think it will cause enjoyment for you in years to come as far as Yeah.
Speaker 2: And you can use the City of Holland approach to having tulips in bloom for you know, three or four weeks instead of just one big show.
Speaker 1: Like I always say, if you've got questions on bulbs because of that Dutch European blood running through my veins, just use your two lips and speak to me and I'll try to help you out, Okay, Stacy. Back to hanging baskets. I was thinking the other day working in the greenhouse. I know you like broelia.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I love that plant.
Speaker 1: Like endless flirtation, endless illumination are proven winter's varieties. So I was looking at the hanging baskets thinking you're probably a person that likes streptocarpella.
Speaker 2: I do like it. Yeah, it's cool. Yeah, yeah, that's a very interesting plant and that's one that I feel like a lot of people know as the houseplants, but you do find it as a hanging basket because the flowers come out on these long, thin stems and kind of give it that really cool halo look.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's beautiful. And then of course, also walking through the greenhouse, I look at these plants that I call trigger plants. So in some combinations there's b coopa or for example, Tradus can anti bridle veil, which is an old fashioned plant. Once again, some people view it as a houseplant, but we do sell a lot of those in the spring. These are what I call trigger plants. In other words, you can see at a glance whether or not the basket needs water, So always have some trigger plants in your landscape. Of course, Boston ferns are a classic, especially if you've got a shady porch. Mini vista supertunias. Any of the supertunias do fantastic in hanging baskets. Stacey, I can't help it, but I'm a huge fan of super venas yep. I think perfect for hanging baskets. Silver falls, dichondra trailing out of the basket.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of places will do those like in the very bottoms and they look like a jellyfish. Do you ever see that, like where they got all the puffy flowers on top and then the dichondra coming out the bottom. It's kind of a fun look.
Speaker 1: That is a fun look. Lamium, which is a perennial ground I don't cover. The lobilias are just so beautiful and proven Winters has the Laguna ultra violet, the dark blue, the royal lilac, the royal pink.
Speaker 2: Love those, and you know I would add to that. This is another area where choosing the proven Winner's variety is going to be really important because older and more conventional lobilias do not hold up to the heat, even like Michigan heat when we don't usually get super hot summers. They'll just fry and they'll stop blooming, Whereas the proven Winners lubilia are all tested to keep blooming in the heat, so they might need some shade when it's really hot, and if you live in a hot climate, they're definitely going to need some shade. But that's one area where you can count on a better performance than your standard lobilia.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, the genetics they're amazing, so you would look for Laguna lobilia's stacy. In some of the hanging baskets. We have manda villas, which may seem crazy and they go nuts and they vine up the all the way up and all over the place. But it is a fun thing to grow on.
Speaker 2: I'm crazy about the mandavillas. I love them. I have not grown a hanging basket, but I love to put them on a trellis and get that look.
Speaker 1: I mentioned in the first segment. Of course, fuschia's and begonias just a favorite of mine, tuberous begonias. But I wonder if you've have you ever grown the small leaf creeping wire type vine.
Speaker 2: Krokia.
Speaker 1: No, it's I'm going to take a shot at this.
Speaker 2: Mule len Bea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, muelen BEI I have not grown it.
Speaker 2: As a hanging basket, but I've definitely grown it as a houseplant and as a topiary. Okay, but very pretty. I love that plant. It's just got such a beautiful, delicate look.
Speaker 1: Interesting approach to baskets are containers plectranthus. I love plectranthus, and there's a variety called guacamole that I love fantastic and then Thunbergia or people would refer to it as black eyed Susan. Proven Winners has lemon appeal, coconut, orange, tangerine. Again, using vines in hanging baskets can really add some cool dimension to your basket, your arrangement.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and some of them, like you said about the mandavilla, they do want to grow up, so instead of cascading down like you might envision, they will kind of find each other their fellow vines and twist all together and go up. But that can be kind of a fun look and I think that's especially nice. It all depends on where your hanging basket situation is. You know, if you have it on a lower hook, then letting those vines grow up on the hangars could actually look really, really nice.
Speaker 1: So I'd encourage the use of vines also in hanging baskets. End of the season, I clean out my hanging baskets and then it's fun to watch as we approach winter, the squirrels use them as a porch swing. They sit in the baskets and just kind of swing in the breeze.
Speaker 2: That's so cute.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is cute, cute, lovable, little fuzzy.
Speaker 2: I love squirrels too, They're amazing. I'll tell you, if squirrels were not everywhere and they were just like on social media what people watching videos, they would go crazy for them. They would visit zoos to see them. But because there ever where, people just kind of go, eh, it's a squirrel. Very true, just saying. And on that note, just one for the squirrels there, So happy mothers. Stay to you until all of the moms and mom figures out there. And thank you Rick, thank you to Adriana, and thank you all so much for listening. We hope you have a wonderful week.