Speaker 1: Welcome to episode four hundred and eighteen of the West Tigers Podcast. A little bit of a different podcast tonight. You have me in the hosting chair and the only guest I have, or the only co host I have tonight is Steve Stratton, how as do and.
Speaker 2: I've been doing these for three years. I don't know whether I'm happy being called a guest, but yeah, hi Gary, nice to see it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a little slip of the tongue. You know that I view myself as as the start of the show. So everyone.
Speaker 2: Taking control of them. We'll suckle on you.
Speaker 1: Oprah. Well, I don't have any prizes to give away, but the boys are all out tonight. I think Eddie's done a few too many podcasts this week after his podcast with Adele earlier in the week, so well a Dylan rob Bishara, I'll have two people annoyed at me now, which I thought was a pretty good, good pod. So if you haven't had a chance to listen to that yet, make sure you go out there and listen to that. I thought, Steve, you didn't get a chance to speak about last weekend's lost to the Warriors over in New Zealand, so I thought I'd start with your one word for that game against the Warriors.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I've been pretty busy. I haven't had much chance to think much all about West Tiger stuff. So I'm not sure if this was read out on the pod last week, but.
Speaker 1: It probably was that I didn't listen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's where I'm at too. But my one word was demolished, and that we were just demolished at the ruck. We were demolished either side of the football, which simply means that when we ran the ball, we were absolutely smashed and driven backwards, and when we defended their post contacts would have been off the charts because they were making Our first contact was very weird, and they just had momentum in spades from the ruck, which is what the Warriors can do to you, and they did it to us all game and we weren't we want a chance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my thoughts on our ability to win that ruck area of the game. You did mention it is first contact. Do you think that's the primary area where we're letting ourselves down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, our first contact has been poor. I was gonna say for most of the year, you could say for a couple of years, you know. Yeah, we just we just seen to bounce off that tackle. But even if we don't bounce off the tackle, the first contact is ineffective. You know, we might grab a hold, but we don't we don't slow the play down, or we don't stop the momentum and they're making three or four yards. And then on top of that, after that first contact, we're not putting We're not putting the big men on their backs. But if we get them to the ground, we might get them down to their knees, or we might get them they fall on their bellies and then they're up. They're up so fast, and the play the ball is quick, and then they're at it again before we've set our defensive line. And it is the basics of footy, right. If you win the ruck, you win the game nine times out of ten. And the way you win the ruck is by slowing them down and not allowing them to get momentum. But I'll mention the other side of the football to Gary, and that's their line speed. Their line speed was sensational. They came out on a mission and they beat us the punch when we had the football, or they beat us to the ad line constantly, or game, and that's why our halves were ineffective. But it's also why we didn't get any momentum through our big fellas, through the middle of the through the middle of the field.
Speaker 1: See what do you put that down to, Steve? Do you put it down to the makeup of our or are you putting it down to the effort? Because I have my thoughts around it, But what are your thoughts?
Speaker 2: Well, if we're talking about if we're talking about line speed, that in a sense has nothing to do with us in that they just came out with enthusiasm and in tent and carried it through for the eighty minutes. But what we then have to be able to do is modify our game plan. Now, what I would suggest, when you've got a team that is getting up on you incredibly quickly, you've either got to match them with that speed and intensity. Either play the ball and try to get out play the ball speed quicker so that they're not set to jump the line like they were, or you've got to slow them down a little bit by putting in kicks behind the line or getting the ball out wide and beating beating their men rushing up fast and trying to get outside them. Now, we didn't We didn't have an answer to answer your question. We didn't seem to have an answer to their line speed, and we didn't seem to have a plan B or a way of diffusing what they were doing to us or coming up with a tactic that was going to overcome what they were doing to us.
Speaker 1: For these two issues that we've just spoken about. First contact and line speed to me a circular. So if you aren't winning the ruck and you're getting put on your back and you're going to slowly play the ball, that's going to allow the defense. They have quick wine speed that allows them to get up because they're already set back in defense. If you get a quick play the ball, they're on their heels and they can't get moving forward as quick.
Speaker 2: So that's exactly right. And then their line gets disrupted and they start to worry. They start to worry about their line being straight and set and ready, and they start thinking and their focus goes off that pace, and all of a sudden, their line speed diminishes rapidly because of that. But we didn't do it, Gary.
Speaker 1: And fast line speed also helps you win the ruck because you're getting to the ball runner before he gets his momentum up, which means you're more likely to win the tackle. So it's very circular for me. I still think the key part for us is that first contact. I think we're lacking that really big, destructive sort of ball runner, the guy that we were hoping Hunt would be a guy who can preferably start the game along with Terrell Mate, who provides that point of difference that we don't have, and I think that's something we need to look for, so.
Speaker 2: To Mate, we're missing. We're missing the good version of Royce Hunt so much this year, like we needed him so badly out there last week. And you know, I don't know what it is, because he has played a couple of decent games in reserve grade. Maybe he's still carrying too much weight. He's not meeting those standards that he needs to meet. Maybe because of that, the coaches are frightened that he won't punch out the minutes that they want that the bench players to be able to punch out. I don't know the answer, but we are really because we've said it all season. Terrell May does an amazing job with the amount of work he does, but he's not the guy. He's not the guy consistently to push through the line. And you know, like in my opinion, you know, Jack Bird's been coming on trying to play play. He didn't last him, but trying to play through the middle, he's not capable of doing that. That's that's not his gig. We're just missing that strong middle that's destructive and makes good post contact, mate, Can I mention the other thing, like you say, right, like the first first contact's a real problem, But the other issue with us is also wrapping the ball up and stopping the second phase play. Now, it didn't kill us, that didn't kill us on the weekend, it has in the past. But not only does our first contact have to be strong, we have to work together in unison to hold the ball runner and get your hands around the ball to stop the offload because that does untold damage to us.
Speaker 1: Which is much easier to do though, is when you're controlling the tackle. Yeah, if you don't have control of the tackle and you're struggling to get the players to the ground, which we are because we lose the first contact, it's easier for them to get their hand free. And it happens in reverse when we have the ball. When you're getting put on your back constantly and you're struggling to win the tackle, it's harder to get your arm free. It's interesting how all these things kind of tie in together to result in us really losing that ruck in the middle in that game on the weekend, Which isn't that surprising when you look at it when you have a look at that Warrior's pack, Like, the Warriors, no matter who they have on the field, are always going to have a fairly big and damaging pack.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we and historically we struggle against a big package. It doesn't doesn't necessarily have to be a mobile pack. It's just the brute strength they worry is they get on top of us. And as I said at the beginning of the pod, we don't seem to be able to find a way to combat that during the game, you know, like we should. Obviously the team knows that when when we play a team like the Warriors, we're going to be facing massive middle, a massive challenge in the middle. But when it does go against us, and when we do start to cave in the middle, we don't seem to have a way to address it. Yeah, which is a worry.
Speaker 1: I think you're just pretty well explained probably one of the main reasons why we've lost nine in a row to the Warriors. Now, did you have any other takeaways from the game.
Speaker 2: No, that's pretty much it. I got. Our first contact was Paul. I was really impressed with Adam. We have just written that down that when he went when he went in to play first receiver and the way he ran, he ran the ball and straightened the attack, like we look dangerous with him. Now, I'm really impressed with the fact that he's going to thirteen this weekend. I don't I didn't want to see him go into the harvest. I didn't want to see Latu Feinhu sort of push out of position. So I'm glad we've remained with Lu and Feinhu. Having having do it in at thirteen and playing that first first receiver role is something that I think is going to help our attack. And we'll get to this ladder and I might be jumping the gun, but especially with the team we've got for this weekend, where we're going to want to give good ball and good space to our center pairing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's a pretty good segue because We've got Adam Deweys multiple talking points throughout the pod. Tonight, We're going to start a game of bisol hold. We're stealing out of his game. He criticizes my games all the time, so we'll use add East tonight by sale whole. First question, Steve, Adam Dewey's future is as a ball playing lot.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I'm going to do a decle. I'm going to hold it. I'm going to hold it because I do want to see more. And my reason is pretty simple. He's as an attacking footballer. I think what he provides at Locke as a ballplayer is really good for us, really helpful. He will straighten the attack. His experience is useful for us. I think his kicking game is useful for us as well. So as a first receiver, I think he's great. He can hit the line. He is a big body, so he can play that middle role to effect I suppose, but not. You know, he wouldn't be your first choice. But the reason I'm holding it is because he's going to have to be strong defensively for eighty minutes in the middle all and I just hope he's up to that. Look I think he's capable. He's made huge improvements, I believe this year in defense that out wide, of course, So how that transfers when he's in, you know, in the middle and making more tackles and tack and tackle after tackle and effort after effort. Well, we'll just have to wait and see. That's why I'm holding it. But I'm starting to be of the opinion, and I know this is not really a question, but I'm starting to be an opinion that he probably is worth a He probably is worth another year, you know.
Speaker 1: Which was my second question. Hold anyway, No, that's fine, Steve. Even say a run sheet and you're still jumping ahead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I can look. Look mate, I'm fifty eight, I'm tech poor mate. I can only have one thing on the screen and I've got the team sheet, so there's no way i can go. I can go backwards and forwards. So you just do your thing and I'll jump in.
Speaker 1: But for me, I have to agree with you fully, Steve. My concern is that defense. He's over the years, when defending, even in the halves, being bumped off in one on one tackles quite a number of times, front on tackles, So not about his reads, not about effort plays. I think what has impressed me about Adam Dewey this year is his increase in effort around defense. So at times I thought he's been very lazy or when he's been beaten, hasn't chased in the past, I think all those things we've seen a vast improvement on this year. We did discuss extending him on the pot on Sunday night, and I gave the opinion I needed to see a little bit more from him before I'd be offering him a contract. I need to see a couple of weeks of how he goes in that thirteen role. Because looking at next year, Steve, look at the centers that we potentially have for next season, do you see a spot for him next year?
Speaker 2: No? Not unless we have we have injuries, because you know, the Senates are starting this week in Taller and Taylor May with what we haven't seen Taylor Maine first grade yet, but what we have seen of him looks very promising. So in all likelihood they're going to be our starting centers. We're going to have Macasini knocking down the door for a first grade spot too. From if everything we've been told about him is true and correct, and so he's there. All of a sudden, a guy like Adam Doing falls down the list a little bit. But what I like about him, and I don't know whether he's going to like this. This is the problem because he has been very open and up front insaaning that he sees himself as a certain type of player and that's how he wants to play. But all of a sudden, I'm starting to see a guy who actually gives us quite a lot of versatility in positions. Yeah, in around our Yeah that's sort of versatility. Sort of means that, mate, But yeah, that's fair enough. I could just see that he adds a lot because he can play a lot of positions. So if he's if he's willing to accept that that's the role he's going to play, I think he's worth hanging on to. But I don't know whether he's going to think that like he's His press conference didn't really indicate a lot of enthusiasm around that.
Speaker 1: I'd say, yeah, it's interesting that press conference. I guess at the end of it. I thought the start of it he spoke really well, But as soon as they started talking about contracts and next season he did bristle up a little bit. But I think that could probably come down two ways that he's not looking to stay or the club hasn't shown any interest towards.
Speaker 2: Him yet, yeah, or the other is he's just a good talking about it and doesn't really like the media anyway. And I think he's a pretty I think he's a fellow that gets agitated pretty quickly, so I don't think it takes much to send him off. So yeah, he just mightn't have. He might have just felt uncomfortable with the line of questioning really, so we might be reading too more into that than what there is. The bottom line for me is, you know, I want to see a little bit more, but I think I think he's worth I think he's a first grade player that could be useful for us.
Speaker 1: Okay, next question, The Jerome Law experiment at seven is over?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is yea Drome Law is definitely will definitely stay at six, like Latu Feinu is our halfback. The only time that might change is if Ladu Fan gets injured. But even then, if you bought if we had do he bought Doey, I'd played Dowey at seven. Yeah, I think we have to go a step further and we have to say that the desire to be Batman experiment might be over, like I think Jerome lew. Yeah, it is a big call. It is, and it's not as negative as it sounds, right, It's not I it sounds. What I mean by it is Jerome Leui has brought so much to this club. There is absolutely no denying that he's worth every cent that he's getting at our club. With his leadership, the standards.
Speaker 1: Is just going to butt in there. Yeah, there is a fair better talk around the fan base starting to build that they're looking at that one point three million dollar contract. I'm thinking it's a little bit too much. You still think that's okay.
Speaker 2: I think to have a state of origin player in the position that he plays in the spine, that's the sort of money we're going to we're going to have to pay. It's probably the top of the scale of the money we have to pay, But I think it is the money we have to pay. And he is a million dollar plus player in my opinion for premission, but yet four premierships, that's right. But the way he's playing, and again I'll just add to it before I say that his defense, his defense this year, like you can miss a tackle, right, but he's a smaller body, right, of course you've got to miss tackles from time to time, so he can miss a tackle. But that's you know, if you look at the tackle sheet and you see three miss tackles from him or you're seeing fall off a tackle, that's not the value that he brings in defense. He's he's clean up rating defense is fantastic. Making the right tackle at the right time is spot on. He puts on a hit when it's needed to lift the team. Like defensively, he's really important to us. But his role in attack is just not working. It isn't And to say that he's going to be the leader of a game plan or the attacking structure, it's just not working out with that's his inability or whether it's poor coaching Jerome Loui this year is that in attack it just hasn't worked. Like I saw, I assume he was playing for Penrith, the way he would skip across field and then straighten up, straighten up and then throw a pass to a fast running back rower or center or having the fullback come around and chime in and give giving space to the fullback, and he did it beautifully. What he's been doing with us hasn't been working. He needs he needs to accept the fact that he's not the guy to run the team around the park, but he needs to play a running game. But he also needs to have a bit of so that he can link with his back rowers and his centers and his full back the way of course, Yeah, this stuff where he runs around, he does left, darts right and goes around the circle trying to find something there. It's just not working. It's definitely working, and he needs to modify. And you know, I'm not sure if that's entirely his fault or the way that the team's been coached or the combination with other players. I'm not sure, but that's what they need to work on. And he needs to find where he's most comfortable, which is running and setting up outside men, and focus on that and then I think you'll see us get the best out of him. But the thing with Benji that he has over Jerome Loi is Benji had much ability to beat a man in a variety of ways like Jerome Lay doesn't have that he doesn't. He doesn't have the step that is ridiculous like Benji had. He doesn't have that that turn of express pace that Benji had where he could skip out to the outside and he and he doesn't have the flamboyance in his passing game that Benji had. So he's not going to create the opportunities into the crowd as well. And we just accepted that that's what came with with Benji. So we do need to accept that with Lui playing off the cuff, there's going to be players that don't work and there's going to be times he does try to find a whole runs more and runs out of space and doesn't get anywhere. We do need to accept that, but I think he needs to work on That's why I said structuredize up footy or as a structured He has that ability to throw a beautiful, beautiful ball to a guy, put and put a man in a gap. Like you said, you say this all the time, Gary, you say you know that you can tell a good player well the way they make other players around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do think that connection with Sam feyn who was starting to build quite nicely. I thought Sam was a couple of times on the weekend, starting to hit some space outside LOI and I think that's an area that they can really develop as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're going to We're going to miss that this weekend, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, forgotten Sam wasn't playing until just then. That is a big out for us on the weekend. That's a week starting second roller partnership.
Speaker 2: Yeah, honestly, we've got to be We've got to be bypassing our second rods a little bit, use them in tight to hit the ball straight in the harbor. We need to be creating space going out the back and getting our centers good clean fast ball. That's what we That's what we know. That's where our attacking weapons are going to or attacking prows is going to come from.
Speaker 1: Next question, Campflown Stadium should lose all should lose all games without the funding coming through. There's recently been an extension put on for Cameltown to organize that fifty million dollars funding for upgrading Campbelltown Stadium. And you're opinion, Steve, if that funding does not come through by the end of this month, should Campbelltown Stadium lose all their game?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think I think they should you know, we're we're in a time now where we've got to make money. We've got to look after our members, we've got to look after our sponsors, we've got to look after our corporates. And you've got to provide a stadium that's up to scratch that will allow us to do that. We've already said that at like Ard Oval, if there wasn't going to be changes there, then we'll walk away from like Hard Oval. And there are changes coming, We've got options with I'm sure Richo has already been looking into it. In fact, I'm sure he's already got money to upground, upgrade Campbelltown Stadium. It's not fit for purpose, it really isn't.
Speaker 1: And I'll save you a little bit because we have got a little bit of heat from Magpie's fans over the last week, Steve, so I'll save you a little bit. What is your preference? Your preference is that they get that funding.
Speaker 2: Yet, my preference is that they get that funding. For sure. I'm one hundred percent of the belief that Campbelltown is an area that the West Tigers need to invest in and be in. But there's got to be a ground fit for purpose. And Gary. Quite honestly, I couldn't give a rats. They don't like it tough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we haven't seen any of the comments anyway.
Speaker 2: No, that's right, they're all hidden behind behind their little private chat.
Speaker 1: Next question, West Tigers are a stronger club than we were twelve months ago?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we are. We are a stronger club and we West we're a better football team. And I know at the moment what the same number of wins as where we finished last week y, So we're eagle with that. So it hasn't been as positive as we'd hoped it would be, and I thought would be better placed on a ladder than what we are. But there's a fight in this team out there that hasn't been there for a a long long time, and we are in most games for most of the game. We still haven't put an eighty minute performance together. We're still incredibly frustrating to watch. We're still got a long way to go before we are a really good football side, but we're getting there. We are a better team than we were, and we are Roster management, even though it's slow, even though it's difficult, that have been dealt with, I believe as best they could have been. Still not there, but it's better. I've the last couple of functions I've been through with West Tigers have been absolutely outstanding. I couldn't have said that in the past. It wasn't the case. So every aspect of our club we had to go through. Yeah, I had to go through a horrible situation, but there is stability there at the moment, so you know, it's not where we wanted to been. As frustrating, I get as frustrated as anyone, but we're definitely better place than what we were twelve months ago.
Speaker 1: Daram Buller is our most important player.
Speaker 2: Wow, Okay, I didn't read that one dream Bola is our most important player.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: Lookok I'm going to sell that, but I'm going to say that's because I don't I don't believe in this black and white stuff where we just say he's a very important part of our future.
Speaker 1: So you're avoiding answering the question no I mentioned.
Speaker 2: It's higher order thinking, Gary, are you going to struggle to keep up? Just do your best mate right. It's important that we keep him, but it's just as important that we sign Appy right, and which hasn't been formalized yet. I don't think. You know, it's just as important that we lock down these these young guys come coming through and make sure we keep them happy. They're like it's Macasini for example, large failure. You keep them, keep them in the clubs. It's just as important that we look for a strong front rower who has impact. That's really important. So there are lots of players, and there are lots of situations at the moment around recruitment and retention that are as important as each other. He's one of them.
Speaker 1: The big thing for me, the reason I actually put this question in that is you have all the games he's missed this year, and the clunkiness of our take's been clunky all season, but I think it's been worse than the games he hasn't played.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I agree, one hundred percent. That's that's a good point. He as he has, he gives us a little bit of shape. You know, we tend to lack. We don't look like we've got much shape at all when he's not there. So yeah, he's very, very important in that regard. But you know, you take happy out from around the rock, can we sort of you know, don't look too flash around the middle either.
Speaker 1: And credit where credit's due. I think Taruva has been very good in that backup role as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well yeah, it's it's not his preferred position, right, I think he's doing a pretty good job all things considered. Yeah, And can I sorry, mate, Can I add with Truva going to fullback and Charlie Stains? And I think I mentioned this before, I was very critical of Charlie Stains. Jeez, he's played well since he's come back into first grade. He's really like being dynamic and he's only he hasn't been pushed back. He's you know, he's earned his keep.
Speaker 1: I feel so a question without notice. This one's not on the list, so you haven't read this one, Steve. When Buller comes back, who do you keep Skelton or stains Skelton?
Speaker 2: Yeah, in saying that, I still think Skeleton offers more defense, you know, defensively his edge because I say his edge because it's not just his fault, but his edge has been been weak. But I think that's a system thing, not just him. He does he does run in in when he shouldn't.
Speaker 1: He's made a few poor decisions.
Speaker 2: We need him, Yeah, we struggle, We struggle to make to make good yardage in at Taxa, we need him at the back start in our sets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I said on the on the Pot on Sunday night, I think Charlie stains improved yardage coming out of our own n is because we've got guys like Skelton and Taruva who were giving him a bit of a platform to use his speed on the second and third tackle of a set, and he's able to get up the field quicker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a very good point, ye.
Speaker 1: Last question, Benji Marshall will be coaching in twenty twenty six. Next question, I thought that would be the answer that I would get from you. We've got a number of players other than Adam Deor, who we've already spoken about off player off contract at the end of this year, a number of younger players. I just want a quick answer on these one Steve on whether you would resign any of those we've got. For Tarpe, who is already in negotiations overseas, I don't think he's signed anywhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, well, if he's in negotiation ever seas, that would that.
Speaker 1: Pretty deep in the centers now though. Yeah. Yeah, that's a true strange one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that is true. Yeah, No, you're right. You're right, there's probably no no room for him.
Speaker 1: And I guess that's the same for Filidi as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I don't. I've never seen him show. I've never seen Filordi show or anything. Yeah, I'm not saying he's not a good football, but I haven't seen it, madam or No. Yeah, that's interesting because I was just looking at that when you mentioned for Tarpa and getting deep in the center of for Tarpe or Nayden. I'd probably go for Tarpe, I'd probably Yeah, I think that that there's something I don't know. I've just watched him. Probably he's not winding down yet, but he's heading towards that. I think there's more upside long term with for Tape. So I've had to keep one of them. I begin for Tape. So that says that Brent Naden's.
Speaker 1: So my opinion is that either of these guys, if you resign them, they're going to really spending most of their season in New sou File's Cup. And I think the experience that Nayden has at that level and his ability to play multiple positions at that level, I think he's a better fit for playing at the new South Files Cup level than for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, i'd agree with that. I suppose it's it's what what are you looking for? Are you looking for an experienced campaigner to sit to sit back there in reserve grade and help the young guys come through and and Brent Naden ticksbox is there? Or are you looking to bolster your future and in the hope of bringing on future first graders And then then for me it would be for Tarpe. But I take your point.
Speaker 1: Charlie Stain Steve.
Speaker 2: Who we got in the wing. I think he's I think he's enough. I think Charlie stays, Saint stays as long as he knows willing to accept that and fight and try to know that he's going to have to really fight hard for.
Speaker 1: His Yeah, an excellent guy to have. I think he's shown the last last couple of weeks, well last couple of months with Skeleton being out for a while as well what he can add to the team when he does get called upon. So yeah, I'd be looking to keep him as well.
Speaker 2: So as you can ask you, Gary, just just just a curve on the host. Yeah, let's say let's say, Macsini, you have a conversation with ma Cassini and say, you know, we might put you on the wing. See how you go on the wing. If that was the case and you could, you could do that, and that means you had to get rid of Charlie Stains. Would you do that? Yeah?
Speaker 1: But I actually think Macasine is an ad and out center his ability to beat a man and set up his winger on the outside. I think it's too valuable to play him on the wing. I haven't seen him play on the wing, and maybe he can go make a fist of it, but I think his attributes are much better suited to playing in the centers. It actually brings us like he was a by cell hold that I actually threw out, so I might as well chuck it at you. Now that you've mentioned Makassini, would you play him this year, Steve.
Speaker 2: No, I wouldn't, absolutely not. I think we're seeing and when we give them too much ego. I think we have to be strong with these guys. I think we have to say, by your time a little bit, learn your trade, prove yourself, and then bring them through. Now I know there's going to be enough sort of thinking. But I believe that we're doing these guys a disservice when we bring him through the minute they turn eight a well, look at look at what's happening. It's not working for us. So no, not not this year. We're not We're not going to be making the eight this year. There's no reason to bring him through. Let him develop, let him get a taste of what it's like playing all aged footy in cup, and then see where he's at the beginning in the off season and preseason.
Speaker 1: He's played one and a half games against men at this point of his career. Stude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: So with that mindset, but you have Trician Hope who's playing hooker at the moment, we have Hayward coming through, who is tauted as the guy who's eventually now going to replace Happy. Are you looking at bringing someone in over him or keeping Tristian Hope for next season to give Hayward more time as well?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, it all depends how they want to use appy, I suppose, and Benji has shown that he's not adverse to play an appy eighty minutes when he needs.
Speaker 1: To play eighty minutes every week.
Speaker 2: Mate, No, he can't, I agree, but when he needs to, he does.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: That's what what's happened over the last couple of years. Just in Hope. He's holding his own probably in the last couple probably a little better than I thought he would. So I think he can do a job. No, I don't. When you look at our priorities, I don't think that's a priority. I think you know, we've got Happy, We've got him for the young fella coming through. I think we stick to that plan and we look at recruitment, recruiting in other areas that are more more vital for us, in most particular front row forward.
Speaker 1: So you see Hope playing a bigger role.
Speaker 2: Next year, I think I think he can. He's not the best option we put our utility in at fourteen, then I'm not not adverse to that as well, and that that might be. That might be where you know we're looking at Adam doing depending on what happens.
Speaker 1: Trician Hope. I see him as a guy that you're bringing him on. You're notring him on because he's going to break a game open. You're not bringing him on because he's really strong in defense. He has decent service so you're bringing him on to do exactly what you said he's doing at the moment, is he'll do a job. He's not going to be a key contributor to you winning many games. He's not going to be a guy who goes out there and goes against tiring forwards and makes two or three breaks and brings you back into a game or lads you pull away from the opposition. His role on the team is the Giveappy a break, and that's that. I would like a little bit more of someone who's a bit more dynamic in that fourteen role. If we're looking at having someone play that role, and I think there should be someone there most weeks.
Speaker 2: So is he contracted for next year?
Speaker 1: I don't think so. I'd have to Actually, did you get an extension recently?
Speaker 2: I'm not sure, because that that could change that work does change my thought sign But because what I just said then was if that's who we've already we've already got Happy, we've already got him, we've already got young fella, then that's that's what I wouldn't be adding to that. But if we're going to if Tristan Hope doesn't have a contract, I wouldn't be adverse to going out to market to see what's add more to the hooking role than I'm all for that, But I'm saying to me, is enough. We don't want to be adding to that. If that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it makes really good sense to me, Steve. He is actually off contract at the end of this year according to Zero Tackle. Right, looked it up while you just spoke. So yeah, it's probably a position we could look at film. Is that backup?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we could that, we could look, but you got to you know, you've got to find the right guy.
Speaker 1: Now, let's move on to the game on Sunday. Exciting day. Get to go back out to Lighthart. There's actually more than one game of football line because the NRLW is on beforehand, so at least after noon of football or starting at midday anyway, out like I'd over looking forward to getting out there too.
Speaker 2: I can't wait. I can't wait, can't wait to get out there and we out there to watch the NRLW, then watch the first grade. I'm really confident we can get a win with the men anyway. Who are the girls playing, mate? You know who they play?
Speaker 1: Honestly, I haven't had a walk, So I don't know.
Speaker 2: I know they're Yeah, they're trying hard, the girls, but they're struggling a little bit. But I definitely think we've got a good chance with the men are getting a win, so it could be a good afternoon out there.
Speaker 1: So come up against the Gold Coast Titans. Are your thoughts on their style of play and the danger players?
Speaker 2: Look, well, they're come and last for a reason, right, They're very inconsistent. So the first thing I'd be saying to have seen this week is improve your discipline, cut your error.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: We've got Ashley Klein in the bunker again, right eighty minutes now, If you do that, they have shown all season now in saying that every team in this competition can win on their day, and they have the capability of beating this, that's for sure. I think we've got to We talked about this earlier as far in reference to the Warriors, I think we've got to really go out there with an intent to have quick line speed in defense. We've got to get up on the They're five eight and a half back in four and Jaden Campbell, Jaden Campbell will rip us to shreds if we give him time and space.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: If we turn him back inside right, we'll cut down the effect that he could have on a game. But the other thing, the other reason we've got to have amazing line speed is we've got to stop Tino playing lock and we've got to stop David for Feeder when he comes on off the bench, because we've shown, like I go back to that South's game. I can't remember who it was, they just had one player, one one with the front rower.
Speaker 1: Who just prop forward. Yeah, the rest of.
Speaker 2: The rest of the pack we handled really well, but this one he just tore us to shreds. And the said, now, if we let Tino and if we let Dave for Feeder get momentum and beat us at the defensive line and get post contacts and get the ball away, we'll struggle because we don't need the whole pack to do it. I think we match up pretty well across the park, but those two guys, if they're given room, we'll see something.
Speaker 1: I say it coming down to two things for the Gold Coast against Us is they have two components that we never match up well. They have big forwards with a bit of mobility, a bit of speed who run the ball hard. We never handle that well. And they have some classy, speedy outside backs and in the halves with Campbell playing in the halves. So they are two key points that I think we need to be really aware of on the weekend. They We need to game plan for that because their two attributes to teams that we never do well against.
Speaker 2: No, we don't know, especially the big, big forward pack. But the other thing I mentioned that we turn to struggle against the Titans, and that's Kieran four in his kicking game here and four and usually kicks us off the park, and from memory, I'm thinking it's more his short kicking game in the goal line. You know, we've got to be aware of that. You know, we must be aware of his prowess with his short kicking game and get up on him fast, give him time to think and get his kick in. And that goes to that saying for long and short, but particularly a short kening game because he usually has a game out of the box in that regard.
Speaker 1: And I think Luai shortking game's being pretty good this season, and it was pretty good in the State of Origin as well. But I think we are being let down a little bit by a long kicking game. I thought though Adam Dewey playing in the halves last week added to that. It's an extra responsibility for the thirteen role, but there's an opportunity there for him to do a little bit of long kicking as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we're out of that seventeen. He's the best downfield kicker we've got on the field, so we've got to use that. I think. Yeah, Look, as far as how do we attack the times, I haven't lost some enough to sort of pinpoint areas of weakness in their defensive line really, but I think we just need to focus on ourselves. We've got to we've just got to play with one. We've got to win the ruck. We've got to try to get fast play the ball. We're going to try to land on our stomach so we can get up dynamic centers out in one hour on each edge. We've got to get good ball to them, you know, And so that means our halves need to get fastball. But if they're going to run them into straighten and then pass out so that we don't run those centers out of space. Because we've seen what Stafford Tower can do when he gets an inch of room, he's really dangerous. And that's what I saw. I didn't see a lot, but just from the highlights, he ran a couple of beautiful outside in lines right, So I imagine they've been practicing them and we've got the ability to score points out there.
Speaker 1: And interesting, speaking about both our centers, I think that guys who who play well with early ball. Stafford Tower plays his best football when you're getting the ball early and he's able to use that left hand fan and then draw the wing are in to set up a Taruver on the outside will be stains this week, but it has been Taruva on the outside. Taylor Mazer guy, I think will benefit from early ball as well because he's got that nice footwork. You can't need a hole, but I think he's got some really good footwork. We should be able to take advantage off as well.
Speaker 2: And like this is Taruver's third week back and sort of be there scooting through the middle. But I'd like to see him, you know, playing, you know, like during Buller plays a little bit and trying to get some shape out back row is going through as decoys and getting our halves linking with Taruver Caroaren who can then link to one of the centers. You know that there's possibility, you know, of good yardage out there.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, I don't know if he's got that in his game yet. It'll be interesting to see if he can add it. I think that's why he he is a very different style fallback to what dream Buller is. Dream Buller's almost plays as as an extra ballplayer, whereas Taruva I don't think he has those ball skills, so he's playing a lot more through the middle.
Speaker 2: The thing that worries me is the bench, Like like we know and again to do great things when they come on, but I really wish one of them, probably Feinhu was starting rather than been on the bench. And I'm concerned about Jack Bert. Jack Bird has not been playing good football. I really liked what Jack Burb was doing early in the season. Last week it was terrible. Everyone can have a bad game, that's that's forgivable, but he seems to have lost lost his form as the year has gone on.
Speaker 1: He'spent a third bit of time last weekend in the center Steve, and I think his time as the center's over.
Speaker 2: Probably probably I imagine unless he has to play play in the middle. I'm not sure that's I'm not sure that's his spot either.
Speaker 1: You spoke earlier about a's needing the straight in the attack, especially our has. What do you think Adam Dow he brings to our side in that regard.
Speaker 2: I think to two things he's going to give. He's going to push Jerome, Lawyer Jerome and La too wider. That that's the most obvious one. So having pushes out those guys a little bit wider, a little bit deeper, and it gives them room and allows us the ball play too wide of the rock, right, so off off to their third you know, their third defender attacking their third defender. So there's that. But also he's got he's got an innate ability now seemingly to know to know when to run across field, like I don't know what it is. When he's out in the centers, he doesn't seem to be able to pass the ball at all all the way. So I think when he does that, what it does I mentioned this before, and straighten up as well, So in effect it straightens the whole straightens the whole attacking movement. So that's that's definitely what it brings. But it brings an had to take him and if he passes, we's got to make sure he hasn't come into early, which would create a gap.
Speaker 1: So having a look Sunday afternoon, game's over, what do you think what's the result going to be, Steve, We're going to get up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we are with this one, and I think we're going to win it pretty comfortably and.
Speaker 1: Get sacked next week.
Speaker 2: He does.
Speaker 1: Sack straight away. Apologies to YACHTI. We've run out of time. I've got foot you tonight. We've run out of time for Yochty Squeeze this week, so we'll get that back in next week. I'd also like to apologize that Eddie. We've had him in the green room wade him to come on or show, and we've run out of time to get Eddie on the deck.
Speaker 2: And Joel and Nick are sitting there as well.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, I just kicked them out of the green room as well, so they had no chance of coming on. Thanks for joining me tonight, Steve, Thank you, and thank you everyone for listening Sunday night. We'll have another pot of Game Day pod coming out after the game, so make sure you look out for that. That should drop sometime on Monday morning, so speak to you all on Sunday. Have a good weekend.
Speaker 2: Jees eye Dad