Speaker 1: Last episode, we began talking about Spahalski brothers. They were a pair of twins who grew up together, but even as their path split, they both went on to become murderers. So be sure to check out part one first, and if you're ready, then let's begin with the second half with Part two.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben, I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked Ingram, a true crime podcast.
Speaker 1: Warning the following podcasts and material intent for a maturial audience. Listener discretion is advised. I don't know if anyone follows us on social media's but we've been doing some reels lately and Nicole put out her first reel the other day.
Speaker 2: Is that my first reel?
Speaker 1: Well, you're first reel in a long time. We did some reels back in the day, like a couple of years ago, and then we just didn't and now we're doing.
Speaker 2: It again, and it could I'd have to go look back, but it could be I guess, the first solo I.
Speaker 1: Don't real I don't think it's the first solo reel, okay, but it's the first solo reel in our new era in a very long time, in years probably, Yeah, And we're going to be making sure that we're getting very consistent at posting. So if you want to check out our socials links in the description, but I don't think you're here necessarily to go and see our Instagram stuff, although you could see our actual faces rather than just hearing our voice. But you are here for a podcast, for an episode, and for.
Speaker 2: A part two episode.
Speaker 1: It is part two of the Spahalski Brothers Today. Do you remember what happened in Part one?
Speaker 2: Yeah, to some extent. Actually, this one is sort of has sort of stuck in there. I've thought about it a few times since Tuesday, So.
Speaker 1: Well, that's good. I don't know if anyone heard the rooster crow in between me talking and Nicole. Yeah, gotta love little farm life in our tiny home. But I'm glad you've been thinking about it. I do have a summary for you if you're ready to hear that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's because I mean, I'm sure there's bits and pieces I've forgotten, So let's hear that.
Speaker 1: Right into the story, right into the gap and then the story. Yeah, okay, okay, So in part one, I started at the very beginning with Robert and Steven Spahalski they were growing up side by side in Elmira, New York. They were identical twins, living in the same house, with the same upbringing and same early environment, all of it. And that's what makes a story so strange right from the very start, because there's nothing obvious in those early years that explains what was actually coming. But as they moved into their teenage years, things began to shift. Robert started getting into trouble, first stealing cars, setting fires, and getting arrested. In nineteen seventy one, everything changed when Stephen, the other brother, at just sixteen years old, killed a man named Ronald Ripley in a brutal attack using both a hammer and a knife. Now he confessed and claimed it was triggered by an unwonted sexual advance, and eventually pleaded guilty to manslaughter. He was sentenced to prison from that point on, and Stephen's life became defined by the system, serving time, getting released, and then going right back in. Now, what stands out in his mindset, even years later on, was there was no remorse in the way he talked about what he did. He simply justified the murder of Ronald, and that was that. So while Stephen becomes a brother who killed and got caught. Robert, on the other hand, stayed free on the outside, drifting through crime, addiction and unstable living in Rochester, and then in nineteen ninety he crossed the very same line his brother did. But how it differs is that no one realized it. He killed a woman named Maureen Armstrong, then willingly spoke to police during the investigation. He actually walked up to the police to talk about it, and then he got away scott free. Then it happened again with Adrian Berger in nineteen ninety one. He was questioned but released. And where we left off was with Charles Grant. He was found dead and someone was found driving his car impersonating him during a typical roadstop. But however they didn't realize that fact until it was far too late. So that's where we are investigating the death of Charles grand and who was impersonating him. Does that all sound familiar?
Speaker 2: It sure does. Okay, it's wild. The fact that they're twins is just what really makes it wild.
Speaker 1: Twins that went down this same path, right, And that's very interesting with his story is there's so much that is the same. But you'll see when we get to the end that there is so much that's different at the same time.
Speaker 2: Wow, okay, you're really just getting us on the edge of our seat right off the.
Speaker 1: Bay at well, I'm not trying to on purpose. That's just literally part of this story. It's a major fact that there are such diverging personality traits, but so many things that come together in the same way too. It's different but same, you know. I don't know how else to put it, but anyways, I think it's on with the story if you're ready.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: So inside Charles's residence, investigators began the process of reconstructing what had happened that night he had died, and the nature of the attack wasn't exactly immediately apparent. Now, Charles had suffered multiple blows to the head, which was consistent with being struck repeatedly with a blunt object, and a hammer would later be identified as a weapon used in the assault, but the force of the blow and the number of times they had been delivered well indicated the attack was sustained instead of a single moment, and interestingly enough, there were additional details that suggested someone had attempted to interfere with the later and following investigation. See the thermostat in the home. It had been turned up, significantly increasing the temperature inside the residence. It was a clear attempt to help accelerate the decomposition process of Charles's body.
Speaker 2: Jeez, I would never have thought of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It actually it worked to a certain degree, ok too. I complicated some of the efforts to determine the exact time of death. However, it didn't prevent investigators from really establishing a general timeline though, But it did introduce just enough of that like uncertainty to make sure that the early stages of the investigation were a little more difficult. You know though, if it was left for much of an extended time, if it was days, that's when it could have started affecting a lot more Like if they found Charles a week later and he was sitting in that hot temperature, it would have made things extremely difficult.
Speaker 2: Oh dang, I don't know, I've never heard of that before.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean people do many things to try and speed up in slow decomp right, I mean, putting bodies in water accelerates dcomp Putting bodies on ice slows d coomp. Right, So there's a lot of different things, and yeah, turning up the thermostatus is one of those things. Interesting Now, the fact that the attack had occurred inside Charles's home suggested that whoever was responsible had likely been invited inside. Because there were no signs of forced entries, it didn't support any idea of like a theft or a break in, so it indicated that the initial interaction between Charles and whoever attacked him had likely not been a situation where they appeared threatening. So, with all this information at hand, detectives began canvassing the area and speaking with anyone who might have seen something unusual, and one witness, a man named Alan Streeter, provided a detail that quickly became rather significant. He reported seeing someone leaving the area in Charles's vehicle around the time the investigation believed the murder had taken place. Now, he did not know the individual's name, However, he was able to provide a description that was specific enough to be pretty useful, and when he was presented with a photo lineup well, Alan Streeter identified one of the images without hesitation. The man he selected was Robert Spahalski. Investigators then went back and revisited the earlier traffic stop, the officer who had conducted it was shown the very same photo lineup, and he too identified Robert as the individual he had spoken with the man who had claimed to be Charles Grand while driving Charles's vehicle. So with those two identifications in place, the connection between Robert and the case became suddenly much stronger. He was quickly located and taken into custody, but the charges brought against him, while they reflected the limitations of what investigators could prove at that point. See, while they had clear evidence that he had been in possession of Charles's car and that he had impersonated him during the traffic stop, they did not yet have the forensic evidence necessary to play inside the home at the time of the killing. As a result, he was charged only with criminal impersonation and related offenses rather than murder, but that didn't mean investigators were moving on from him. Even when Robert was released. However, in Robert's mind for the third time, he had now been linked to a violent death questioned by police as well, and he had simply gotten away with it. And even though investigators had their eyes on him, the momentum around the case began to fade. Without new evidence, and without a confession or a clear forensic link tying Robert directly to the act of the murder itself, the case stalled. Detectives who had been focused on it were pulled towards other investigations and other victims with other crimes that required their attention. In practical terms, the case moved from an active pursuit to an unresolved status. The same was true for the death of Moraine Armstrong and Adrian Burger. Each case existed in its own file, with its own set of facts and unanswered questions. There were even similarities between them, but without a link, they remained separate in the eyes of the system, each one waiting for something new that might move it forward. Eventually, memories faded with the passing years, and witnesses became harder to locate, and Robert he continued living his life. He remained in Rochester, moving between apartments and areas where people lived close to the margins of society, places where economy and stability and drug use and transient relationships were very common.
Speaker 2: He's he's killed three people now and he's just still out and about living his life.
Speaker 1: Correct and he was questioned each and every.
Speaker 2: Time, whoa okay? I thought for sure this third one it would be you know okay, like we got you, Like this is the end of it.
Speaker 1: Nope, they had nothing. Huh, And he's just outliving his life. Years are passing at this point. Honestly, whoa okay?
Speaker 2: That is like wild and also fricking terrifying.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, in the way he was living, though, it was very possible to exist without drawing much attention to himself, even for someone with a history of arrests and repeated contact with law enforcement like it allowed him to go those years without drawing that attention. Now, his crack cocaine addiction continued as well, and it shaped his decisions in ways that were both immediate and long term, influencing who he was associated with and how he spent his time, and even what risks he was willing to take. Supporting that habit required a steady flow of money, and without stable employment, he continued to rely on the same mix of activities that had honestly defined his life for years leading up to nineteen ninety one. He dealt drugs on a small scale, engaged in theft when necessary, and continued working as a sex worker. He was still arrested, periodically processed through the system, and then released once again. The charges, however, remained relatively small in the grand scheme of things such as burglary related offenses and other crimes. Was just one of the many individuals moving through that same cycle in a system that was managing a large number of similar cases, so he didn't stand out at all. There were moments, however, when the past did seem like it was close to resurfacing. In July of nineteen ninety two, less than a year after the death of Charles Grand, Robert was approached by two police officers while sitting on a bridge in downtown Rochester. Now it was a routine situation, as the conversation was deployed, and his response became noticeably defensive. He referenced without even being prompted, mind you, the earlier investigation into Charles Grand's death, describing it as something the police had already tried to pin on him. It was an unusual detail to introduce voluntarily, especially in a moment like that, when it's just like a walk up check on a person sitting there on a bridge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dang, that does not seem like that was a good choice.
Speaker 1: No. Now, the officers ran his information, confirmed there were no outstanding issues requiring immediate attention, and so they allowed him to leave. Years later, in nineteen ninety eight, there was another encounter that followed a similar pattern. Robert was walking along North Clinton Avenue when a patrol car pulled over nearby. Officers approached him as part of an investigation into a stolen camera that had been reportedly been circulating the area. The situation had nothing to do with any of the earlier murders, but Robert, for a brief moment, believed the officers were there because of something else, entirely that they had come to arrest him for those murders, but that was obviously not the case. The officers asked their question, determined he was not involved in the incident they were investigating, and they left.
Speaker 2: Kay, he does seem like he's a bit on the paranoid side.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent, huh. But once again though, he just walked away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, he's paranoid, and they're kinda you know, he's still in the eyes of the law with the way he's living, I suppose, but he's just still getting away with Lily everything.
Speaker 1: But it's clear that, like these murders are on his mind. It's like he's looking over his shoulder, almost waiting for the moment for his past to catch up with him.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now November of two thousand and five. By then fourteen years had passed since the death of Charles Grant in nineteen ninety one, and Robert Spahalski was still living in Rochester and was still deeply entrenched in drug use, petty crime, and all the same things that made his life unstable, even developing relationships that reflected the nature of the environment around him, you know, the comings and goings of people with like yeah, just casual, quick, not lasting, all that sort of stuff. But one of those relationships was with a woman named Vivian IRASERI. Now, Vivian was fifty four years old and lived on the same apartment building as Robert on Spencer Street, and their connection wasn't as fleeting, I guess is a good word to put as many of his other relationships and connections were. They were quite familiar with one another, spending time together and as neighbors or acquaintances, right, they weren't like an item per se, but they were definitely good acquaintances, and on November fourth, two thousand and five, Vivian was inside Robert's apartment. The two of them were getting high together on their good old favorite crack cocaine, and according to Robert, the amount he consumed that day affected him in a way that disoriented his perception of what was happening around him. He would later describe experiencing hallucinations, and he claimed that Vivian's appearance changed and he no longer saw her as she was, but instead something else, something threatening, something he described in terms that suggested fear and confusion rather than recognition. Now, at some point during this high, he struck Vivian in the head, leaving her disoriented. And now the exact sequences of events is difficult to reconstruct in precise detail, because remember this is reconstructed through Robert, who was extremely high at the time. But it is clear that the violence did not end with that initial blow. In the earlier cases, the attack progressed and Robert began to strangle her until she was dead. Now, what happened afterwards marked a very significant shift from Robert's earlier behavior. In the cases from nineteen ninety and nineteen ninety one, Robert had left the scene distance himself from whatever he had done in allowing the investigation to unfold without his direct involvement. But this time, though, he did something extremely different. He moved Vivian's body into the bathroom of his apartment and he began to wash her. Afterwards, he wrapped her and took her down to the basement of the building, where it provided a degree of concealment, but was not a permanent solution by any means. It was a temporary measure, and for several days nothing was reported. Life in the building continued as it has before. People moved in and out of their apartments, carrying on with their routines, unaware of what had taken place or that there was a deceased person in the basement of the building, and during that time, Robert would return to the basement where Vivian was. According to his later statements, he visited her body during those days, standing over her and speaking to Vivian and expressing what he described as remorse.
Speaker 2: Hmmm, okay, that's really interesting and different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he claimed, he apologize that he experienced a sense of regret for what he had done, and now Whether those statements reflect genuine emotion or serve another purpose as difficult to say. But what we do know is that for the first time, there was no attempt to fully distance himself from what had happened, and something changed in the way he responded to the act of murder itself. For fourteen years, he had carried the weight of the earlier killings without any external consequence forcing him to confront them. But now, within days of his final act, the separation between action and consequence it began to collapse in on itself, and on November eighth, two thousand and five, four days after Vivian was killed, Robert went to the Rochester Public Safety Building. He approached the front desk and calmly stated that he needed to speak to someone about a homicide. Now, people occasionally come forward with information that turns out to be incomplete, exaggerated, or even unrelated to an actual crime itself, but Robert didn't hesitate or attempt to soften what he was saying in his situation. He made it very clear when he told officers that he himself had killed someone and that if police went to his apartment they would find a body with a claim like that. Officers were quickly dispatched to the Spencer Street address that he provided, and when they searched the building, they located Vivian iras Aari's body in the basement, exactly where Robert said it would be. Has a conscience somewhat, yeah, or he just.
Speaker 2: Really actually liked Vivian, I think, and this is the one that affected him, and he's like, I really wish I didn't do this, or the guilt of them all just kind of it was like, Okay, we're done with this. I don't know.
Speaker 1: There is one specific point of information here that I'll touch on soon that kind of regards that guilty conscience sort of thing. I don't want to say it yet because trust me, it's an interesting piece. But we'll get to it, and I think you're going to find it fascinating.
Speaker 2: Kay.
Speaker 1: Now, In questioning, Robert described being with her in his apartment right they were getting high and doing their drugs, and he said he experienced what he claimed were hallucinations, and he told them about the violence that followed, explaining it in a way that aligned with the physical evidence found at the scene.
Speaker 2: Too.
Speaker 1: Now, at that point they knew he murdered Vivian that was very clear, but as they gathered information during the interview, they began reviewing his past as well, things like his arrests, his known associations, and his previous connect to unsolved cases. And his name had appeared in many earlier investigations, including the death of Charles Grant, and that connection provided a natural point of inquiry. At some point during the questioning, one of the investigators asked him directly about Charles. There was a brief pause. Robert had already admitted to one killing, and after a moment, he admitted that he too, killed Charles grand He began describing the interaction inside Charles's home, explaining that there was an argument that had taken place and that it had escalated. He said he hit Charles in the head with a hammer, detailing the act in a way that corresponded precisely with the injuries that were documented by investigators during the original investigation. He also addressed the events that followed too, including taking Charles's car and using it afterward, which directly connected to the earlier traffic stop where he was impersonating him and convicted of Now investigators soon also turned the conversation to another unresolved case. They asked Robert about Adrian Berger, and when her name was mentioned, his response introduced a subtle but important shift, because, instead of immediately denying any involvement, he asked whether the woman had lived on Emerson Street, and then, when confronted with the implications of that question alone, Robert admitted he killed Adrian as.
Speaker 2: Well, but he didn't really remember at first, well, or didn't recognize the name per se.
Speaker 1: Maybe not the name, and he's like, is that the one that lives on Emerson Street? And the police are like, yeah, you realize what you just asked, Like that that is the one that lived on Emerson Street. And he's like, okay, yeah, yeah, I killed her.
Speaker 2: Uh okay, I don't love that for like a lot of reasons, obviously, I.
Speaker 1: Know it also might have been him trying to play dumb as well and then just realizing, oh, yeah, what he asked definitely looks bad, so he just kind of went with it after that. Who knows, It's hard to say, but he described being with her in her apartment and explained that he had snapped during an encounter, ultimately strangling her. Now, at that point, investigators had obtained admissions to three separate murders, but if you're keeping count, there's one remaining case. And when Moraine Armstrong's name was introduced, the pattern of the interview changed suddenly. This time, Robert hesitated. He denied knowing her, denied involvement, and avoided providing a direct answer in a way that he had with the other victims. Even when presented with her photograph, he remained steadfast, suggesting he didn't recognize her or hadn't committed any sort of murder or anything. He didn't really acknowledge anything. His behavior during it was odd, defensive, and very hesitant, so after providing detailed accounts of the other killings, this stood out. And then at one point he made a very unusual request. He asked investigators for time to meditate. Now this was odd, but investigators allowed it. They stepped out of the room and gave him space. When they returned, his demeanor, though, was different, and he appeared a lot more composed. Now faced with investigators again, and rather than continuing to deny any involvement outright, Robert decided to ask a question of his own. He wanted to know whether an iron had been used in the killing and that detail had not been made public, and when investigators confirmed that it had been because if you remember from part one, the cord of an iron was used to strangle her.
Speaker 2: Okay, I did forget that little detail.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And Robert admitted to killing Moraine Armstrong, describing an argument that had escalated to him using that iron to strangle her.
Speaker 2: Huh. So, yeah, he's just dishing out all his dirty laundry at this point.
Speaker 1: He is, and all in all, by the end of the interrogation, Robert Spahalski had confessed to four separate murders.
Speaker 2: He confessed that, yes, I am a serial freakin killer.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, which it's funny you use that term, because that's the exact point I was alluding to earlier, where Robert was kind of a bit reluctantly, a bit reluctant for a certain point. So in his later statements, Robert explained his initial reluctancy to confess to Marine's murder. He believed that admitting to a fourth killing would define him in a way that he had not yet accepted himself, which makes sense now in hindsight when you look at him wanting to meditate for a bit before he talked about it. Okay, So in his understanding, there was a threshold of what would label him as a serial killer, and he had attempted, however, briefly, to avoid crossing into that definition.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 1: What he didn't realize, though, was that the pattern of his actions had already established that clarification. Because his definition of a serial killer was off. He thought it was four or more. The definition of a serial killer is actually three normal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's very interesting that. I wonder if these investigators have ever gotten a request from someone to meditate, you know, I know, right, I feel like if I was in that situation, I'd be so caught off garden and be like, uh like, I'm sure, okay, sure, like of course, but I'd also just be watching that whole meditation session behind the glass.
Speaker 1: Definitely. And don't get me wrong, I'm sure there's probably some religious ones that have happened, and I'm sure that's understandable. It probably wouldn't catch me off guard. But if you have someone who's just like not really religious, I mean, I don't know if he is or not, I'm assuming, but if you have someone who's just like, oh yeah, just randomly want to meditate rather than like, oh, it's my meditation time today, it's my ritual thing. It's a little different. It would catch me off guard for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, well, he doesn't seem like he would necessarily be this person that meditates like regularly either.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's a serial killer, so probably not.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, and I think he's like addicted to drugs and stuff, saying that you can't meditate if you're addicted to drugs. But just his lifestyle and everything, it caught me off guard.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's different, to say the least. But it is very interesting though, because you mentioned like the killing of Vivian. He seemed to really potentially like her and have really remorse for that. But was was Vivian the well, I'm officially a serial killer now idea in his head? Is is it the idea of Vivian? Or is it the idea of being a serial killer that brought him down? You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Right? Okay?
Speaker 1: Is that what was nagging at him?
Speaker 2: It could have been that, Actually it could have been.
Speaker 1: But I mean, no matter his thoughts. Though, for the first time, the full scope of what had taken place between nineteen ninety and two thousand and five was now officially out in the open. Now, even though they had the confession, investigators still revisited each case individually, comparing Robert's statements with evidence that had been collected at the time. Now, when situations like this a confession alone, they're generally not enough. It must be supported by fact and by details that only the person responsible would know, information that had not been publicly released and could not have been guessed or reconstructed from outside sources. And in Robert's case those details were very much so present. For example, his description of Moraine Armstrong's death aligned with the use of the electrical cord taken from the iron, which was a specific element that wasn't made public. Also, the account of Adrian Berger's death provided an example for a case where the cause of death had remained uncertain due to the condition of the body when it was discovered. The manner in which he described the attack clarified what investigators had been unable to determine through physical evidence alone, and it matched. In the case of Charles Grand, his admission connected multiple pieces of information that had previously existed without a definitive link. The witness who had seen someone leaving in Charles's vehicle, the officer had conducted the traffic stop, and the physical evidence inside the home all pointed towards a single individual, and Robert's confession brought those elements together, providing a coherent narrative that explained not only how the crime had been committed, but also what had happened in the immediate aftermath. And as investigators worked through each and every one of these cases, the pattern was undeniable. Now most important part of this all is yeah, the pattern between all of these They were very connected through consistent behavior, consistent methods, and consistent sets of circumstances. Each victim had been killed in a private space in situations where Robert had direct access to them. The methods, while not identical in every case, reflected a reliance on what was immediately available at the crime scene, rather than a pre planned tool brought to the scene. Beyond the physical details, there was also a behavioral pattern that linked the cases together. Two In each instance, Robert had been present in the victim's environment, either as a known associate or someone who had gained access through brief interaction, and afterwards he had distance himself from each scene for years. That approach had been effective, but ultimately he couldn't keep the guilt inside, and by the time Robert's case moved forward to the trial in two thousand and six, the foundation against him was pretty extreme, and his own words formed the core of the prosecution's case. They were detailed, specific and aligned closely with the evidence that investigators had collected over the years. From a legal standpoint, that created an extremely powerful position for the prosecution. However, the defense did not dispute that Robert had made those statements. They weren't going against the fact that he had admitted these things at all, but it did challenge the condition under which they had obtained and the extent to which they should be relied upon these statements. One of the central arguments focused on the length and the nature of the interrogation process itself. See Robert had spent an extended period in police custody during questioning, and the defense raised concerns about whether the duration and circumstance of that interview had influenced the reliability of his statements. There was also an effort to frame his actions within the context of his mental state as well. For example, his history of drug use, particularly his heavy reliance on crack. Cocaine was introduced as a factor that may have impaired his judgment and perception at the times of the crimes, and the account he had given regarding hallucinations during the killing of Vivian. It was also used to support this argument too, suggesting that his understanding of events may not have been grounded in reality in the way the prosecution was now presenting it now. Despite those efforts, though, the broader contexts of the case worked against that defense. Sure, you can argue things like, Okay, he may have confessed this and said he did that, but he also said he was high hallucinating, so how can you trust his word and what he said he did? Right? But the confessions were not isolated to a single incident or a single moment of vulnerability, and that's important. They spanned across multiple cases, and each were supported by independent evidence that existed long before Robert had even come forward. He was only the stitch that pulled it all together. The consistency between his statements and the documented details of each crime only strengthened the prosecution's position, making it very difficult to argue that his omissions were unreliable or the result of even external pressure. During the trial, the jury was presented with a coherent account of the four killings. They heard about the death of Moraine Armstrong in December of nineteen ninety the circumstances of Adrian Berger's death in July of nineteen ninety one, the murder of Charles Grand in October of that same year, and the final killing a Vivian iras Ai in November of two thousand and five. Each case was examined in detail, with the prosecution outlining the sequence of events, the evidence collected at the time, and the way in which Roberts confess aligned with all of those findings, and the accumulative effect of that presentation was significant, because rather than evaluating each case on their own, the jury was able to see the pattern that connected them all together, and as the trial progressed, it became increasingly apparent that the case was not going to hinge on a single piece of evidence or a narrow interpretation of the events. Instead, it was clearly built on the accumulation of consistent details, each reinforcing the other and creating a strong narrative that was difficult, very difficult to dispute. So when the case was finally placed in the hands of the jury. The deliberation process did not take long. After hearing the evidence, reviewing the testimony, and considering the arguments from both sides, the jury reached a decision in less than two and a half hours. They found Robert Spahalski guilty on five counts of second degree murder, charges that collectively accounted for the four separate killings that had taken place between December of nineteen ninety and November of two thousand and four. Now, under New York law, a single incident can give rise to multiple counts of murder in the second degree, depending on how the prosecution frames the charges and the elements they seek to prove. In Robert's case, the counts reflect both intentional acts and circumstances that met additional legal criteria under the statue. So while the number of counts five counts exceed the number of four victims, the underlying reality remained the same. Four separate lives had been taken, each in its own setting, each connected through pattern that they had now been fully established in court.
Speaker 2: Okay, I was so confused? There did I miss one?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 1: Ok yes, four victims. But he did get five counts as they're looking at the thing as the events as as a whole. And yeah, I'm not too sure exactly what where they got the fifth one or how that works specifically, but it is possible to add on additional counts regardless of the number of victims.
Speaker 2: Sang, well, I mean regardless as well, Like he's going to just I feel like, be in jail for the rest of his life. So you think so, well, I would frickin' hope, So well, let me tell you about that.
Speaker 1: Okay. So, now with the verdict delivered, the case moved into the sentencing phase, and given the number of counts and the nature of the crimes, a sentence was expected to reflect the severity of what had taken place over the course of those fifteen years, and ultimately Robert Spahalski was sentenced to a total of one hundred years in prison.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm you had me really questioning life for a minute, just trolling you a little bit, because there is no way that this could be anything less than him just being in there for the rest of his life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, that's exactly what it was. The sentence was structured so that he would spend the remainder of his life incarcerated. There was no realistic path to being released, no scenario which he could return to the outside world on parole. Nothing. He would spend his life in prison, period.
Speaker 2: Full stop, rightfully. So, Yes, it had been there much earlier.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Now, this was a story that had begun decades earlier in Elmira, and it had finally come into focus in a way that no one could have fully understood at the very beginning. For years, the lives of Robert and Stephen had been viewed separately. Stephen's path had been defined very early, marked by a single act of violence in nineteen seventy one, a single murder that led to his conviction that set the tone for everything that followed. His life became one of repeated incarcerations, cycles that never truly broke, shaped by the decisions that kept bringing him back into the same system. Yes, he murdered one person, but after that it was petty crimes, theft Robert, those sorts of things. Robert's path, by contrast, had unfolded in a way that was far less visible. He had remained on the edges of the system, moving in and out of custody for smaller offenses too, never standing out in a way that demanded sustained attention. The crimes he committed between nineteen ninety and nineteen ninety one existed without any sort of resolution, disconnected from one another and from him in any way that could ever be proven. For years, there was no clear indication that his life had diverged into something fundamentally different from what it appeared to be on the surface. It was only after his confession in two thousand and five that those two paths could be seen together. The connection between the two brothers wasn't simply that they were twins who had both committed acts of violence, but that their lives had followed trajectories that ultimately led to very similar outcomes. Each had crossed a line that separated them from the life they had begun with, and each had spent signific portions of their lives within the criminal justice system, and each of them had become a murderer. However, there is one major difference between the two of them now. Stephen, even years after his conviction, continued to speak about his actions in a way that suggested justification. His account of the killing of Ronald Ripley remained consistent He framed it in terms that placed responsibility on the circumstances rather than himself. Something that had to happen, and he didn't regret it. That way of thinking appeared to remain intact despite the time he had spent incarcerated and the consequences that he had faced as a result of his actions. But Robert's perspective, on the other hand, it was a lot different. He seemed to hold some sort of regret, some guilt. He spoke about the impact of his actions, and about how the role of his mental state and drug use and how it had played in shaping what he had done. Whether the remorse he held reflected a genuine shift in understanding or was influenced by the circumstances in which was expressed as something we cannot be determining with certainty, but it stands out with a very sharp contrast with the way his brother continued to describe his own past. Despite those differences, though the outcome for both of them was the same, in one fundamental way, their lives became defined by incarceration. Looking back, there is no clear point where everything can be traced back with a specific cause, no single explanation that accounts for two individuals with the same beginning arriving at a similar fate. Instead, there is a sequence of events, decisions, and circumstances over time, creating a pattern that only becomes visible when viewed with its entirety. Could this be a result of nurture or maybe nature that had caused this. It's such a unique look at this age old argument, and yet at the same time it doesn't seem to offer any new answers. The early years in Almira and the gradual shift into criminal behavior, with a first act of violence that defined one brother's path and the quieter progression that led the other down a similar road years later, all of it formed a timeline that is difficult to simplify. What remains at the end of that timeline is a story that is not easily reduced to a single explanation. It's a story about two lives that began in the same place, then followed different routes, only to arrive at a similar destination with different feelings and emotions after it's all said and done. It's a story about how patterns can develop without being fully recognized, and how the absence of immediate consequences can follow those patterns to continue long enough to become something much larger. And perhaps most of all, it's a story that leaves behind a question that does not have a clear your answer. How can two people start in the same place and still become something so difficult to understand? And that's the story of the Spahalski Brothers aka The Killer Twins.
Speaker 2: That title the Killer Twins.
Speaker 1: This story is a bit of a mind fuck, isn't it.
Speaker 2: It really is. Yeah, now that it's over, it's kind of like I need more time to reflect on that.
Speaker 1: I almost need like a focus group to sit down and like vent to on this case, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, because it doesn't seem like a ton is really super known. I guess about their start, but it obviously wasn't great.
Speaker 1: No, well, their start wasn't bad. Like they started with, you know, a mother and a father, and it was they're doing sports and all this sort of stuff. They're doing good. But then there was a divorce. And in that divorce, it's not like they're was abuse that took place, as far as we know, it was just kind of a lack of structure or.
Speaker 2: They had too much freedom at an age that they you know, were a little bit vulnerable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely, that structure that could have helped push them forward and support them through that stage wasn't there. And that that's not an excuse to go murder someone, Oh, just not having that structure in your life. But it seems like that structure was almost the turning point, huh. And it led into drug use, it led into sex work, it led into theft, and then eventually murder and for one of them, murdering at the age of sixteen.
Speaker 2: Even imagine just being their parents though, and say you haven't like ran into an acquaintance for a while, and then all of a sudden you do, and then they're like, oh, how are your boys or something, and then you're just like, oh, well, like my boys actually are murderers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, both of them, both twins.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so let's just move on to a different topic. For sure, Like that is wild.
Speaker 1: But it's crazy, like being twins, It's like, is that nature part of them a valid argument? Is it easy? It's definitely easy to say that, well, they're twins. They both ended up following the same path without a little bit of structure in their life, and they both moved on to be killers. It must have been in their DNA. It's very easy to say that. However, when you look at it as a whole, Well, one of them had remorse for it. It couldn't have been in his DNA.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But how much remorse did he really have?
Speaker 1: Though?
Speaker 2: Like I get that he had. Somebody also hid this for freaking fourteen years and he did it.
Speaker 1: Four times, so you're right, you're right. But there was a bit of remorse. There was a small voice in his head. Vivian. He cared for her remains after that. It's to a degree, mind you. But he washed her and he wrapped her up, and he looked over her and he spoke to her. That is remorse to some factor. And then he goes and admits to it, and he admits to it all. There's got to be something in there that's not built into his system fully to say that it's nature for both these individuals. Sure, maybe there's some nature in it, but you can also argue that is nature, there's some good too, So it's not fully nature, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Well, and maybe I'm mistaken. Did he have did it appear that he had remorse for the other three or mostly just Vivian.
Speaker 1: I think it was mostly Vivian, and that's part of it too, is was it remorse for Vivian or was it remorse for the fact that he crossed into serial killer status.
Speaker 2: That he Yeah, he was very wrong on that he already was.
Speaker 1: Which again speaks to that voice being like, oh, you're a serial killer. That's bad. You don't want that.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, because it is interesting too. Had the time span right between the three and then the last one, so yeah, he really could have just been like, Okay, I can't do a fourth because I want to be a serial killer.
Speaker 1: So there was some sort of good in him, which means it's not fully nature. It's not fully he was born that way, you know what I mean? Because there is that other voice as well, and he chose not to listen to it for so long, and then eventually that voice got to him and then he admitted to it. I'm not saying he's a good guy.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, I know. I'm like, you're giving him too much credit here, almost he is a freaking vile man.
Speaker 1: Well no, I'm not giving I'm trying not to get kicked. Okay, devil's advocacy here. What I'm fighting for is not Robert. I'm not fighting for him. I'm fighting for the nature of his being. Is he born a serial killer? A murderer? Was he written in the stars the very moment he came into this world that he was going to do this? I don't think so.
Speaker 2: Okay, See, I don't know. I have trouble to think the whole thing, like, born a serial killer, Well.
Speaker 1: That's that's the nature versus nurture. Yeah, Or is it in your nature to be a killer or was it like nurture the way you were raised and you were raised in a very harsh environment, abuse, and you instilled upon you that you were to be this killer. So I don't think there is proof for either in this situation, even though this is the best situation we have to look as an example of, but it still doesn't prove shit.
Speaker 2: I'm also it's confusing, it is. I'm very curious too if these these brothers like have any relationship, does like the one go visit the other one in jail and you know, vice versa and stuff. So yeah, I don't know how much are their past really crossing.
Speaker 1: I guess, yeah, it's hard to say. I mean, I don't know. I didn't really dive into that. I didn't write it in this perspective of the brothers the brother's story to sympathize with them. I wrote it in the perspective as almost like looking at them as a I don't want to say experiment or a project, but like a case study.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, it's definitely a freaking interesting one. It's I don't know. I'm also just I can't stop thinking about the perspective of the parent. Gosh, like, just imagine you have two kids or whatever and they both turn out like this. I was just I know, really, I was gonna say unfortunate but devastating.
Speaker 1: I think both of those are accurate words like I can't imagine how they feel. And I want to go have a whiskey and a cigarette after this. And I don't even smoke, so yeah, like I just feel like I just need, like chain smoke and drink a bottle of whiskey to decompress, so I can't imagine what their emotions would be like after that.
Speaker 2: No kidding, Well well done on these these two.
Speaker 1: Thank you and sorry for back to back two partners. Maybe you enjoyed it, maybe you didn't. The next one, I promise will not be a two parterer, so you'll get the full resolution in the next episode which is coming up next week. And don't forget to take a look at the description of our podcast. You can go ahead and see our social media is where you can see our new reels that we're making. We're going to be doing a real hopefully on every single case we come out with, so you'll hear that little bit of an elevator pitch on it. And if you're coming from our reels, if you're new here, thank you for being here. We appreciate you all. We are an independent podcast host, written researched all of it on our own in a little tiny home with our roosters and chickens outside, making far too much noise that often bleeds into our audio, and we are sorry for it, but we also love it and our unapologetically ourselves.
Speaker 2: I kind of hope it's just like a little hidden cham because there isn't really all we can do about it.
Speaker 1: I suppose, yeah. I mean, we do try and record at night when the roosters and stuff are at sleep or asleep, but occasionally the research takes me into the next day, and when we do record in the morning, that's when they get loud.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but honestly, there's a misconception about roosters. They literally are allowed all day pretty much. It's not just the morning.
Speaker 1: Definitely, and hens, trust me, can be very loud too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But anyways, thank you.
Speaker 3: For being here and until next time, stay wicked and
Speaker 2: Oh