Speaker 1: And now your host of Dodger Talk, David Vasse.
Speaker 2: We are live at Dodgers Stadium after the Dodgers fall to the Cubs on Sunday Night Baseball by a final score of four to two. Welcome to Dodger Talk, David Vase with you until eight thirty tonight on AM five to seventy LA Sports. We will hear from Jose Mota, We'll get you an update on Blake Snell and Evan Phillips. And you'll also hear from one of the bullpenned dogs from a year ago, Ryan Brasier, who got his World Series ring on Friday because he's part of the Cubs team now. So you'll hear from Ryan Brasier about the sequence of events that saw Walker Buehler come in and close Game five of the World Series last year. We have phone lines open at eight six, six, nine, eight seven two five seventy. Tonight, Tyler Glass now bounce back after below parper performance in Philadelphia In many ways, Tonight Glass now very good on a national stage. Six innings, seven strikeouts and allowed just two earned runs. One of them was a solo home run to Michael Bush. The other was a home run to pie Crow Armstrong. So Tyler Glass now bounces back, did not have a lot of traffic on the bases, which was a good thing, and certainly got hurt by two solo home runs. But it really is about the Dodger offense, right There's we're not used to seeing the Dodger scoring no runs and two runs and back to back games. I mentioned this in the Clubhouse show at bears repeating because it's somewhat shocking.
Speaker 3: Number one, that the Dodgers had.
Speaker 2: A consecutive game streak of fifty three consecutive games with an extra basic come to an end last night when they scattered six singles. And something that Jose Mota brought to our attention that certainly is on the radar of a lot of people now, the fact that show hey Otani, who drove in one hundred and thirty runs last year at the top of the lineup, only has four at bats with runners in scoring position.
Speaker 3: Tonight he had none.
Speaker 2: And it's not a good thing when Otani's leading off innings outside of the first inning. He led off the third inning, and he led off the seventh inning, and then he came up in the ninth inning with nobody on base. It was a nice try by Dave Roberts to bring Freddy Freeman off the bench for a pinch hit in the ninth spot for Miguel Rojas. Freddie hit a ball up the middle that may have seen some grass if not for Dansby Swanson, his old teammate, robbing him of what might have been a single to get the possible tying run at the plate in the form of show Hey Otani, I also thought another great opportunity to get somebody up there with Otani coming up with Otani on deck, I should say, was in the sixth inning when Miguel Rojas was at the plate.
Speaker 3: He did a pretty good job a couple.
Speaker 2: Of nights ago of getting on base twice in that spot in the ninth spot. But tonight, in the sixth inning, he was up three to zero in the count and he flew out to center field.
Speaker 3: So uh, that kind of.
Speaker 2: Ended what might have been a bigger inning for the Dodgers if he gets on base with Otani on deck, because they already had scored one run in that inning and they were hitting the ball pretty hard. Kick Hernandez lined out to third base. He was he hit a rocket there and Max Munsey just missed a home run instead, it was a game tying sacrifice fly. So that sixth inning really had a bigger inning written all over it, but it wasn't meant to be. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Also in the eighth inning, when the Cubs tacked on an insurance run in the form of Kyle Tucker, who led off the inning with a double down the left field line, I felt like that was that should have been caught by Michael Confordo. And I'm sure he'd be the first one to tell you that, because he did have some.
Speaker 3: Ground to cover there.
Speaker 2: But he was there, but he pulled up because he felt like the foul line was the wall and it wasn't. It was the line and the ball hit the chalk and that was appealed rightfully, so and it was a double by Kyle Tucker. Whenever new corner outfielders start playing every day for the Dodgers, it seems like they are apprehensive that they're closer to the wall than they really are because it is a short wall and you could go tumbling over. Even in twenty twenty, when Mookie Betts played his first year with the Dodgers. He had some trouble chasing down balls down the line because of the short wall. But with more time, Confordo's gonna feel more comfortable and have more field awareness of where he was because he had a lot of room and he didn't need to pull back, which he did. So that was that as far as the game goes, And really this was the Michael Bush and Pete crow Armstrong game for the Cubs, as those two guys drove in three of the four runs tonight with home runs eight six, six, nine, seven, two five seventy is the phone number. We have two lines open, and before we go to the phones, I just want to remind you that before the panic really sets in. And yes, the Dodgers have lost three straight series going back to their last road trip in Philadelphia. This did happen last year in April of last year, early on in the season, like it's happening right now. And the difference is the Dodgers lost all three of those series in April at home. This situation is they lost two series on the road in really great conditions on the East Coast, no excuses, but much different than losing three straight series at Dodger Stadium like they did last year. Let's go out to mission via ho Bill, You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Bill?
Speaker 4: Pretty good? Thanks for the take my call. Yeah, Glassnoe seems to give up home runs a lot, but he does scatter him at least, you know, they're not like three run home runs and everything like that. And my other point is Crow Armstrong worth these his first two home runs of the year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he really hasn't done much of anything offensively this year, and yeah they were his first two home runs, but he seems to play his best against the Dodgers, right.
Speaker 4: And then also, I think Munsey can come out of it. At least he got one in the air that was hit pretty deep. I mean that's at least he wasn't striking out. But he's got to make more contact.
Speaker 2: All right, Bill, I'll pass that advice along. Thanks for the phone call. All joking aside, You're right, Max Muntsey has not started off the season well offensively. He's still looking for his first home run. He came a few feet away from that in the sixth inning. Instead it was a sacrifice fly. But like you mentioned, it was good to see him get it in the air and drive the ball. That's not something we've seen a lot from Max Munsey to start the year, and he's got a lot of strikeouts. Two more strikeouts tonight. It has not been a great start to the season for Max Mounsey. Like I mentioned, he has twenty four strikeouts to start the year and he's only walked four times. You know, a few years back, Monthssey told me a great indicator that he's going good is when he's taking walks. It's not necessarily the home runs, and he's a thirty five home run guy, but he said, when I'm going good and I'm seeing the ball really well, it's when I'm taking my walks, And right now he's not, and it feels like he's pressing and he's trying to get back his previous forty at bats in one at bats. So hopefully that sacrifice flying the sixth inning will relax him and start to get him on the right track. Let's go out to Pico Rivera. Eric, you're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi.
Speaker 3: Eric.
Speaker 5: Hey, David, how are you you give us the best information year after year? And it seems to get better and better year after year.
Speaker 6: Thank you, we appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Hey, you're too kind, Eric.
Speaker 5: I just wanted to say, what's the plan for Austin Barnes and Chris Taylor moving.
Speaker 6: Forward this year? David, I thought that Chris.
Speaker 5: Taylor being inserted in left field could have made that play that Conforto made. And then our friend Austin Barnes was O for eleven yesterday and swung at the first pitch when coming up to bat. So I'm just wondering he.
Speaker 2: Wasn't oh for Technically he wasn't OH for eleven last night. He's now OH for eleven on the season, maybe for thirteen now. Yeah, he does not have a hit yet this year, but he plays once a week.
Speaker 6: Eric, Right, No, I understand.
Speaker 5: I'm just wondering, you know what, what's gonna jump start these two guys, if anything, or we're gonna dfam in the middle of the season. I don't want to see that happen, but you know, I'm just wondering what the plan is.
Speaker 2: Well, Chris Taylor's paid a lot of money this year, so you're not going to see that happen anytime soon, and he hasn't gotten many opportunities quite honestly to make any sort of judgment on him.
Speaker 3: You know that ball in the eighth inning that.
Speaker 2: Michael Confordo probably should have caught. You know, I can understand why you're keeping Confordo in there. It's a tied game. You need his bat in the lineup. But if the Dodgers had a lead, I think that Dave Roberts may consider having Chris Taylor go out there in left field.
Speaker 5: Good enough, I'll take that, Dave.
Speaker 3: Thank you all right, Eric, thank you for the phone call.
Speaker 2: By the way, Chris Taylor and Austin Barnes did not have an at bat in the game tonight, but the Dodger offense stalled out without those two guys in the lineup. They were shut out last night and tonight only scored two runs after scoring three runs on a three run home run.
Speaker 3: By Tommy Edmonds.
Speaker 2: So the Dodger offense no secrets about it not going really well right now. I pointed out last night that the Dodgers five through nine hitters were combined one for sixteen and hitting under one eighty on the season. Tonight it was a little bit better because of Confordo and Will Smith.
Speaker 3: They each had two hits.
Speaker 2: Confordo scored both of the Dodger runs tonight, so that was a little better. But like I talked about last night, we all know most of these guys are going to get it going, and in fact, Will Smith has gotten off to the best start of any Dodger hitter.
Speaker 3: He's hitting three forty one.
Speaker 2: And the bottom line is the last three hitters, the seven, eight nine hitters, have got to get on They've got to get on base to flip that lineup over for Otani, Betts, Freeman, Taeoscar Hernandez. And you know, once you get Freddy in there again, which he will be tomorrow, then you start to lengthen your lineup by having Edmund hit behind those guys and have him hit in front of guys like Smith and Munsey and Confortos. So Freddie Freeman means a lot to this lineup when he's starting, and this was a scheduled day off for Freddie Freeman. The Dodgers were not going to have Freddy play six consecutive games, or start six consecutive games right after coming off the il with that reaggravation of the right ankle. We'll just say, is right ankle. It's not going to be one hundred percent all year. It's going to have to be managed all season long. And that's what the Dodgers did tonight. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. When we continue here from Dodgers Stadium, we'll check in with Jose Mota. Plus we'll give you an update on Blake's now and Evan Phillips. And I know the trade deadline is not until the end of July, but we had a trade rumor floated out earlier today by Bob Nightingale and it included the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: We'll let you know what that was as well.
Speaker 2: So we got a lot to get to between now and a thirty plus your phone calls at eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy.
Speaker 3: Cubs beat the.
Speaker 2: Dodgers four to two and take two out of three in Los Angeles on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is available on AM five seventy LA sports dot com hand on the iHeartRadio app. Back to more Dodger Talk with Dodger insider David Vasse.
Speaker 7: Trying to come set for Armshaw high fly ball right center field hit very well. PCA watches this one goal. It's a two home run game for the local product. He salutes the bullpen and rounds the bases, having given the Cubs the lead.
Speaker 3: Right back, it's.
Speaker 7: Now three to Chicago.
Speaker 2: He Crow Armstrong, with his parents sitting behind home plate, comes back home and beats the Dodgers four to two as the Cubs take two out of three here in Los Angeles. David Vase live at Dodgers Stadium with you until eight thirty tonight on AM five to seventy LA Sports, Daniels Jewelers presents the home run forecast. Go to AM five seventy lasports dot com and use the keyword home run for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card predicting the number of home runs in the next game. Daniels Jewelers own the Dream. Eight six, six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number.
Speaker 3: All right. I know it's a little too early to.
Speaker 2: Be talking about trades and trade rumors, but I was taking a little off guard that. Bob Nightingale, in his Sunday column, reported that the Dodgers in White Sox had been discussing a train that would send Louise Robert Junior from the White Sox to the Dodgers in exchange for James Autman and a quote top tier prospect. Louise Robert Junior has not gotten off to a great start with the White Sox.
Speaker 3: I think when I checked it, he's hitting a buck eighty.
Speaker 2: In fact, I know he's hitting a buck eighty this year to start the season, and he has won.
Speaker 3: A Gold Glove.
Speaker 2: But a lot of scouts that I talked to say, you know what, that gold Glove ain't everything that it's cracked up to be. He's not that great of a center fielder, so take it for what it's worth. Maybe the Dodgers and White Sox talked about it in spring training. I heard this same trade last year as well, so I don't know. I'm not buying it, to be honest, I love Bob and I'm not saying that it wasn't discussed, but I'm not saying it was close to getting done. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. I actually think the Dodgers could do a lot better than Louise Robert if they're looking to trade for his center fielder.
Speaker 3: Let's go out to Long Beach. Marco.
Speaker 2: You're on Dodger Talk live from Cheveez Ravine. How you doing, Marco?
Speaker 8: I'm good?
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 9: Look great.
Speaker 2: We established that you're doing great. You're calling a Dodger talk show. What do you have to say?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I just was wondering if Mookie's gonna be the shortstop for the rest of the year because the defense, especially in the outfield, has been pretty bad, and since we have Rojas playing every day, I think it'd be more beneficial to have him at shortstop and maybe have used Mooki in center or right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, centerfield, I don't believe the Dodgers would put him there, even though I believe he could play it and if he wants action and being engaged, center field would do that for him.
Speaker 3: He could do it.
Speaker 2: He got called up as a he played center field for the Red Sox, but Jackie Bradley Junior was so good defensively they moved Mookie to right field.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers are not even thinking about moving Mookie from shortstop uh anytime soon. And in fact, Mooki made a nice play tonight in the third inning to throw out Kyle Tucker. So, yeah, I understand the outfield defense is not as good without the best right fielder in the game out there, but I don't think that played a huge part into why the Dodgers lost tonight.
Speaker 3: It was the offense and it's been the.
Speaker 10: Just for future sakes, because.
Speaker 3: Yeah, future reference.
Speaker 10: I don't understand how he went from a right fielder to wanting to play second to playing shortstop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well he got He was a second baseman in the minors, then got moved to right, and he got thrust into playing shortstop for the first half of last year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's wacky.
Speaker 2: It's wacky, Marco, but he's holding his own and he's put in a lot of work to try to make it work. Thanks for the phone call. Eight six six two seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Dallas, Jason. You're a little early calling Dodger Talk. They're not there until next week.
Speaker 8: You're right, Dave. How's it going, man, Hey, it's going great. A great Dodger fan, casual observer, but just trying to get everybody to kill out and relax, enjoy the season, and enjoy what we're seeing. I mean, we have a great team on the field. Everythone's doing fine. There's no we're only two and a half back in the division. Relax, enjoy what we're watching, and just kind of just pull back. Everyone knows well, I would say the front office knows what they're doing. Wow, that Luis Roberts, I just heard about you that mention. That would be pretty good. But I think we're at all positions. We're pretty solid. It's just a matter of you know, people getting used to the season, get acclimated to the positions being worked out. I know that everyone thought that we were so great, but you could see that, you know, pitching is at a I would say, it's all it's not always what we work it out to be, because you could see that, you know, they thought we were at a position of riches. But I'm gonna say, injuries happen in baseball and we just have to ride with the flow of everything. But enjoy watching what we're seeing from Dodger Baseball and take it all in. It's a little bit too early to try to make judgments on, you know, you know what we're seeing so early.
Speaker 2: Sixteen games, Jason, sixteen games, the big question is Are you gonna find your way to Globe Life Field when the Dodgers get there next week?
Speaker 8: Yes, I have all I have tickets for all three games. I was there for opening days. Matter of fact, I was just there. I just flew back in this week. But you know I'm from the Mars area. My family's there.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, we'll see you out there. Thanks for the phone call, and I think he calmed everybody down. You're the man, Jason.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers fall to the Cuts tonight four to two. I promised a Blake Snell update. I expect Blake Snell to be back before the end of May, so I can conceivably see from what I've been able to gather, Blake Snell being able to come back and pitch on the next homestand when the Dodgers host the Pirates and Marlins.
Speaker 3: That's a nice soft landing for Snell.
Speaker 2: Zilla, who is now continuing the uh right or wrong stereo type that he's not a first half pitcher, but you know some guys are, and if I had to choose one, I'd rather have a second half pitcher. Than a first half pitcher, if that's what you're.
Speaker 3: Going going to call him.
Speaker 2: But he's on the il with some shoulder soreness stiffness, but should be back for the next homestand which will be a big boost to the Dodger rotation and hopefully there's no looking back for his season. And Evan Phillips, I feel like he's the forgotten guy. Remember he's been the guy in the Dodger bullpen the last couple of years and missed the World Series because of a torn muscle around his right shoulder rotator cuff. Well, that muscle is healed and he's been out on rehab assignments and Dave Roberts told me that he's antsy to get back, And it just feels like the Dodgers have a date picked out in the near future where they want to activate Phillips, and it feels like it's coming here in the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 3: So that's great news.
Speaker 2: Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We'll get back to your phone calls in a moment, but first.
Speaker 1: It's time to go around the horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: Jose Mota coming on Dodger Talk last night enlightened all of us from Rick Monday to Dave Roberts and now to everybody on Sunday Night Baseball, dropping that knowledge on us and making us realize that show, hey, Otani has only four at bats with runners in scoring position, Jose, I hate to tell you this, but it's still four at bats with runners in scoring position after tonight.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it is no bueno, man. And I mean, we talked about the Otani thing, and certainly I tells you how many people listen to you, Davesa. You do a fantastic job with that. But I'm looking also at something we touched upout was just getting that first guy on leading up an inning tonight one time faith. That's not going to get it done. That, combined with the fact that the Dodgers are, you know, scoring about sixty two percent of the time the runs will be a home run, that's also not going to be sustainable. But I think overall is going to come down to Dave Roberts even taking more opportunities and control of the offense in implementing place and creating some havoc and guys, you know, taking the extra base a little bit more. But you got to get that first guy on base just to have a chance for your manager to be more fusible and do some things.
Speaker 3: I was thinking the same thing, Jose.
Speaker 2: But in Dave's defense, like you said, he really hasn't had a lot to work with because guys are not getting on base to create something.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it is hard, and I think overall, when you're leading off an inning, you're not thinking about walking. You think about how could I get my best at that? You're also no one thing. And I was talking to pitching coach about this today and he said, you know what's happening with the Dolluer right now too. That they got to really understand is they are the team that every pitching coach, every staff targeted to say, let's make sure that we face them. We are at our best and we are seeing it now. Contradicting that myself is the fact that Dollgiers have not had that approach at times, home play guys mechanically. Sometimes at this time some guys are not there, but overall the opposing team is also doing the homework saying this lineup is one through nine could really hurt me, or one through six, one through wait, whatever it is. So I'm going to make the best pitches, and obs seems and guys make some very good pitches on pretty much every single guy up now that lineup. But now they got to understand that Legue's pitching to them. Made the adjustment necessarity to make sure that they have more team at bats.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like Max Munsey had better at bats tonight? He had the sacrifice fly to tie the game in the sixth inning. I know he struck out twice, but do you feel like that sixth inning at bat where he hit the ball to the warning track in right field? Could that change his mindset? Maybe let him relax, give him some confidence. I'm looking for anything here.
Speaker 6: I think it will Dave, there's no doubt. And then the walk the bat before that, of course, there's you know, a couple of strikeous there in that game too. Now he has twenty four in the season. But Max is not far away from where he needs to be and triggering and laying off certain pitches. When he starts on time, his hands don't drop. There's some things that he lays off of him. Right now, he's chasing those pitches because he's not on time. A few days ago, he was trying that step back that we've seen before. Remember that step back he tried that. Yeah, he got away from that, and now it's just like findering and tinkering. But when Max as well. He seeing the ball well as he's told you. But it all starts with how his hands are located, in terms of where the pitch is, the lanes of the pitcher that you know he's being exploited with. But I think overall, driving that ball to I feel the way he did today is going to bring it back. I just want to see him go back to the mentality he had when he was at his best last season when Dave Roberts said, listen, I want you to become a singlesitter, and that wasn't just let me Transformula's pretty much take that approach because you're strong enough to hit the ball at the center field and hit the ball the other way with some authority, and thus he become a better hitter. You wait for the ball a little bit longer. Not his antsy. Anytime I tell you, Dave, you tell a young young player, little kid, hey, I want you to try. He had a whole month. He's gonna muscle up all right, stiffen up. If you say, hey, try to get a single, It's like, okay, I don't have to try that hard. So it ap plus is the big leaguers too, and Max Mounsey proved it last year and the year before that. When that approach is there, he's much better. Hopefully we will see that.
Speaker 3: Jose Mota is joining us on Dodger talk.
Speaker 2: After the Dodgers fall to the Cubs four to two, Let's talk about the starting pitching tonight, Tyler Glass now coming back off of uh, you know, disappointing outing showing in Philadelphia. The fastball velocity was fluctuating tonight. Jose was that just a guy that really gets into his mechanics and if he's off a little bit, you may see ninety three instead of ninety six.
Speaker 3: So what was going on with that?
Speaker 6: I think that's one of them. And also the fact that when when men on base, he's using that slides step all the time, which I like. The slide step is a great weapon, but I don't think you need to utilize it with everybody on base. You got to say that for when somebody is really a threat to go up there, short down and give you a catcher a chance. Now, going back to his fastball, the one thing he did so well today at whatever ninety five, ninety six or whatever, it was the fact that he pitched well with the shadows. And I was talking to Lose Cruise about this during broadcasts, said, listen, he's six eight, great extension of seven plus feet right, go after and let them react to your fastball. And if they're not reacting, well, you don't need to go anywhere else but to that pitch. And I think overall is the best I've seen anybody in a while use the shadows in the sun to pitch against that, even though Velosi is not there, perceive velocity with him. As you know, ninety three is like ninety nine miles an hour. So he was on his game today and I'm glad that, even though he said he didn't feel very well, he needed an outing like this. But the one thing with him too is we talk about it so many times. They've not letting the bottom of the line up beat him. And again not that it beat him, but to hurt him with that home run by PCA, and those are things that I know really bother him like they do bother you know, the top tier pitchers.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose, we'll see if the Dodgers can get well against the Rockies like the Padres did.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers will face the Rockies for three games and Dustin Mays on the Mount tomorrow night. So we look forward to seeing you. And maybe you'll take a selfie with Hello Kitty tomorrow night.
Speaker 3: Jose.
Speaker 6: I will love that. Of course I made it.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's oh yeah, okay, thanks a lot, Jose.
Speaker 2: Maybe you and Louis Cruz. Louis Cruz loves selfies. Maybe you could get in with him, all three.
Speaker 6: Of you, he does. Huh, let me check it out a little bit more.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, there he goes Jose Mota, part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast. Dodgers fall to the Cubs tonight four to two, And you heard Jose mention the home run by PCA p Crow Armstrong. It was his first of the year, and it would came off Tyler Glass. Now he kind of just muscled that down the right field line. And then for good measure, he hit the go ahead home run off of Blake Trining in the seventh inning. So a big night for PCA, A big night for Michael Bush as the Cubs take two out of three from the Dodgers here at Dodger Stadium after the Dodgers look to be in a different weight class than the Cubs in Tokyo. The Dodgers man handled these same cubs in Tokyo, and they just look like different teams right now. The Dodger offense does not look like the heavyweight champion that it was in Tokyo right now, but it'll come back. Let's go out to Danny, who is at Dodger Stadium tonight. Hi, Danny, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 12: Hey Dave, thanks for getting me on. I love when you got mister Jose Modon.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 12: He's always so insightful, always bringing a perspectives that.
Speaker 6: Most a lot of people won't see.
Speaker 12: But yeah, and have me thinking about a old school Dodger baseball and back in the day. You know, I've been listening to Dodger Talks forever and back in the day, man, I'd get so frustrated when people would call in complaining about like Alex Korra or or you know whoever's hitting eighth. Then they're hitting like two twenty and I'm like thinking, like you know, if this team loses or doesn't win this year, it's not gonna because the number eight hitter was hitting two twenty or two thirty. But you know, now fast forward twenty years or whatever, and the lineup construction has changed, and this team now is predicated on players getting on before show Hey and Mookie come up, and it just it puts so much pressure on the pitchers. And that's what they when they really found success last year when they flip show Hey to hit him first, because you put so much pressure on that picture when you got runners on base and you got Otani at the plate and to hear you know, he's only had four or five at bats this year's corn position. You know, that's a problem with deployment. And so it's early in the year. It's April, and you know, the first part of the year you pretty much use to figure out what kind of team you have and how you're gonna approach it. But they really got to figure something out with that bottom of that lineup. And I don't know if if kim down in triple A might be the answer, or you know, dropping Edmund in the lineup when Spreadie gets going again. But they really got to figure that out, Dave, because you can't have Showy coming up there with nobody on base all year long. That's how they won last year, is putting all that pressure on the pitcher when the line of clips, Hey, I'm with.
Speaker 3: You, I'm with you. That's when we talked about it. Last year. They were at their best.
Speaker 2: And teams actually told me the one thing that they wanted to avoid was Otani coming up with men on base. In fact, that's when the NLDS changed, when guys were getting on base in front of Otani when they were playing the Padres. And you mentioned Hay Song Kim. I'm glad you brought him up because he's a name to remember. In spring training, he was not very good at hitting because he was learning a whole new swing. But he has taken what he has learned and applied it so far. Early on in Triple A tonight, Hay Song Kim had a single for the OKC comments. He has now hit safely in ten of his last eleven games, and he's hitting three to oh eight with nine extra base hits and nine RBIs, and he has scored fifteen runs, So you know, Dave Roberts said, earlier today. He likes to give guys at least, you know, the fifty fifty at bats fifty games margin. But after that, you know, there's got to be competition, not only on this twenty six man roster, but when you have a player like that in Oklahoma City that could really change the bottom of your lineup by getting on base with that speed, you got to take a serious look at it. And if if this bottom third of the order is not making that happen, I would imagine the Dodgers will seriously consider calling up Kim after fifty or so games. Eight six, six, nine, eight, seven, two, five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Bruce, who is at Dodgers Stadium tonight. Hi Bruce, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 9: Hey, you want to bedb So, if this were October and we were facing a three game series with the CU in the wild Card and all three games are a Dodger Stadium and the matchups were Matthew Boyd, Ben Brown and Colin Ray against our top three pitchers, I'm on that all the time. You know, it didn't work out this weekend. Some bats weren't We didn't have the bats and Michael Bush just killed us. But I agree with the with you and the other callers about Haysan Kim lengthening the bottom of the lineup, moving Tommy Edmant to center field. He's our best glove, center field, second base, shortstop. But I look at Michael Bush kill us this weekend and I wonder, is that what we're gonna end up doing with Dalton Rushing Because we couldn't find a position for him. The bat was there and we moved on and Jackson Farris Zire hope those are blue trip prospects. They're going to contribute soon. But you know, if doll rushings hitting, can we make a space for him with conforno and left that's my question.
Speaker 2: Well, they made the decision not to have Rushing play left field anymore in the minor leagues. But what they have done this year, Bruce is get him reps at first base. So you usually see catchers play first base more than you see him play left field. So the Dodgers are trying to get him to be versatile, so they have multiple options to try to get his bat in the lineup whenever that is now, Remember Dalton Rushing's not even on the forty man roster, and I don't see the Dodgers trading him unless they got a big haul in return. Thanks for the phone call, Bruce, appreciate it. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Look the Dodgers where they draft. Because they signed so many guys and are above the luxury tax threshold, they they had a strategy to kind of replenish their farm system with two blue Chippers in Zayir Hope and Jack Ferris.
Speaker 3: And Jackson Ferris has started.
Speaker 2: The year at Double A, and everybody around baseball believes he's going to be a really good pitcher. And if you had a chance to watch him in spring training or even in that Freeway Series game, you know that young man has the mound presence and the stuff to be able to be here one day. But as far as Michael Bush goes, he wasn't good enough to play second. The Dodgers had Max Munsey at third, they have Freddie Freeman at first, so they decided, you know, instead of letting this guy just be twenty five, twenty six years old at Triple A, why not trade him and give him an opportunity to live out his Major League dreams and get regular at bats and in turn get some good players that could help us in areas that we need. So it was, you know, there's not always these trades where you have to win and bludgeon the other team like the Dodgers did last year at the deadline bludgeoning the Cardinals in white Sox for Michael Kopek and Tommy Edmund. The best trades are where it helps out both teams. And it helped out the Cubs right now where they needed help, and it's helped the Dodgers where they need it, and that's not right now, it's in the next year or so with a Jackson Ferris and a Zair Hope. So that's the way I feel on that. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number speaking of the Cubs and Dodgers and making transactions. The Dodgers sent Ryan Brasier to the Cubs this offseason. Braziers on the il right now with the Cubs, but made the trip so he could get his World Series ring, and his former relievers from a year ago presented him with that ring on the first day right outside of the Dodgers or excuse me the Cubs dugout and it was led by Blake training Alex Vessi and those guys that were his brothers in the bullpen last year. And Ryan Brasier was one of those relief pitchers that came in after Jack Flair already in Game five to try to help the Dodgers hang in there and try to piece it together, which they eventually did thanks to a herculean effort by Blake Trinan and Walker Buehler with the heroics in the ninth innings saving that game, striking out Alex Verdugo to end the game and end the World Series. I'm always curious the behind the scenes with the guys that were in the bullpen or in the dugout, with those sequence of events and how they came to fruition. And Ryan Brasier shared a unique perspective on the whole sequence of events of last year's Game five, with Blake trining throwing more pitches than he ever has before and Walker Buehler closing out the World Series. Can you take us through where you were and just what that meant to the team to have Blake and Walker do what they did.
Speaker 13: Yeah, so you know, Walker was in. I went inside after I pitched and he was on the training table and we scored all those runs, and you know, av see, the bullpen came in early that game. So Walker was like, all right, you got to stop working on me because I'm gonna go down to the bullpen. And I'm like, dude, you're think, aren't you supposed to pitch tomorrow or whatever? And anyways, you know, he went down to the bullpen and you know Blake coming in and getting Olex. But Blake was huge, you know, all the whole postseason last year, and he you know, I got big out after big out and and you know, threw more pitches and I think I've ever seen him throw in a game, you know, a couple of times during throughout the playoffs, and you know Walker coming in to shut the door like he did, you know, after after some some rough outings or whatever. Just like I said, just getting twenty seven outs, but as quick as we can. And you know, everybody was kind of bought into the same idea.
Speaker 2: So that was Ryan Brazier's perspective from the training room onto the field, Walker Buehler getting ready to go out there and in his mind, helped the Dodgers close out Game five and not even worry about starting Game seven, and that certainly will go down in Dodger history forever. Those are some of the images that flash into our minds, right yeah, the fifth inning of Game five, Yes, Freddie Freeman's walk off Grand Slam in Game one, but Walker Buehler closing out the World Series and Blake Trin and doing what he did and telling Dave Roberts and Freddie Freeman telling Dave Roberts leave him in here, he could do it, he can get this guy, and he delivered, which was really special. And I know it's twenty twenty five and we're talking about what the Dodgers are trying to do this season, but when you get that kind of first hand perspective from guys that were part of that World Series.
Speaker 3: Team, it's always special.
Speaker 2: And I appreciate Ryan Brazier for taking the time out for us yesterday after getting his World Series ring. And you can listen to that full interview on the iHeartRadio app. Now tomorrow the Dodgers will turn the page and start a three game series against the Rockies to close out this homestand on Hello Kiddy Night, Antonio Senza Tela will be on the mound for the Rockies. He has made three starts this year and has given up eight runs. Dustin May will try to continue what he has started this year. In two starts and eleven innings, Dustin May has only given up one earned run, so he's been really good despite not having a win this season. Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck begins at six o'clock tomorrow with first pitch from Dodgers Stadium at seven to ten.
Speaker 3: That'll do it for us.
Speaker 2: On Dodger Talk tonight, thanks to Colin Yee back at our Burbank studios. Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Dodger Stadium. Dwayne, Dwayne, maybe he's waiting for me in the parking lot.
Speaker 11: He always packs up so quick. It's quicker than Rick Monday. Anyway, we'll talk to you tomorrow night. A new series, a new day for the Dodgers in a long season. Tonight, the Cups beat the Dodgers four to two. Fox Sports Radio is next. Talk to you tomorrow night.
Speaker 3: See yourself