Speaker 1: And an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talker.
Speaker 2: All Right, we're here with the man that the Dodgers rely upon and two things in life that you need reliability and availability, and that means even more when you're a relief pitcher and we're here with one of the best in the game, that's the one and only Alex Vesia. Thanks a lot for the time and thanks for being available for us.
Speaker 1: No worries. I think you also have to add in there a lot of caffeine.
Speaker 2: Well, we see you on the mound. It feels like you do take it to another level. What world are you in when you're out there?
Speaker 3: I would definitely say it's it's my own world. Yeah, you know, as a reliever, every day is a new day. When I'm out on the mound, it's it's sort of on the edge of like super focused and then blackout. So there's there's there's a fine line between the two. And uh, I feel like I'm riding that lot.
Speaker 2: Can you think back to your first year with the Dodgers to where you're at right now?
Speaker 1: A World Series champion?
Speaker 2: One of the pillars have strengthened that bullpen. How have you been able to harness all of that emotion.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think it's kind of leaning on veteran guys throughout the years.
Speaker 1: You know, you have like Kenley Jansen.
Speaker 3: Was a was a big, big one that I kind of looked after his routine and how he went about certain things. And you have guys like Joe Kelly and Blake Trining that you know, set the tone day in and day out. So it's you know, really relying on the veteran guys kind of bring you under your wing and kind of show you the ropes, you know, from twenty one until now. You know, it's I kind of feel like I'm slowly getting into that role where you know, guys like Jack Dryer and and you know Ben Consparis is like I've kind of you know, taken them under my wing, not not necessarily, like you know, they have great routines, they they're very very good pictures, but I'm always like open to you know, having conversations with them, and you know, we have really good friendships and you know they've been doing great for us.
Speaker 2: It sounds like you're paying it forward.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, absolutely, absolutely, you know it's I always want to make sure that there's like a level of comfort down there. You know that we there is some some turnover and you know, I'm always I want to be welcoming to everybody who steps in the in the Pendent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, speaking of turnover, there's a lot of guys from last year's bullpen dogs, but you got some new guys. Like you mentioned, what's the dynamic this year in the bullpen.
Speaker 3: I also think we have a very good group of guys right and it's it's a little bit different than last year. But I also think that the you know, we have about four lefties and you know, five ish rieties depending on who we bring up and whatnot, So it is roles are a little bit different. But I also think that we're very versatile in that.
Speaker 2: And Kirby Yates, he seems like he has a lot of veteran salt and edge.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't call it salt. I wouldn't call it saul.
Speaker 3: You know, I've been around some salty vets. He's definitely not one of them. I think he brings some really good energy for us, and you know, he he loves to keep it loose, loves to have fun and but like you know, when his name's called it's you know, all all go, So it's a it's a great dynamic down there.
Speaker 2: It seems like you've really embraced being a leader and now being a world champion, being through it and being successful. Are you embracing being that guy now?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think it's it's just I go about my business day in and day out, where you know, I want to be available, I want to I want the ball, and I think it's kind of just leading by that, you know. I think someone who does a very very good job with that is is Kershaw Right. I mean, he every day he works, he you know, he does, he has his set routine, and that's kind of something that from the beginning, that's what I noticed and why he's so great. So I kind of want to, you.
Speaker 2: Know, mimic that that same on Wednesday, he'll be three strikeouts away from three thousand. What will it be like in the bullpen watching him start that game?
Speaker 3: I mean, I'll be on the fence for every every pitch, every batter until he does it.
Speaker 1: So very special.
Speaker 3: I honestly don't think it will set in until I'm older about how special this moment really is. But I do know how you know how hard he's worked and just to come back, and you know he's been throwing the ball great for us, and you know he's been helping the pen out.
Speaker 1: So I mean he's he's doing it.
Speaker 2: When you have a guy like Kershaw around, what's what's his presence mean to the team.
Speaker 3: I think he holds a standard that is different than than most right, and you know, being a pitcher as well, I think it really resonates with me more obviously guys like move to you and Freddie and show hey, right, you know, Joey, I'm starting to see the pitching side, but we mostly see him from the hitting side, right. So Kersh definitely brings that that standard. The you know, like I said, he's very focused and the I don't know how to really explained to other than just like he sets the example.
Speaker 2: Yeah, today is Otani's start day. What's it like behind the scenes? What is he like on start day?
Speaker 3: Honestly, it's it's he's very quiet, right, he has his routine. You can say what you can say hi to him, you can say what's it like. Either it's not it's not like it don't talk to me type, so, but you know it is his his time, you know, and you know he takes a serious and uh, I'm looking forward to you know, keep.
Speaker 1: Keep watching him and building up.
Speaker 3: And you know it's a very interesting build up, right because he can't go down to the minor leagues and kind of have that build up process. So you know, this is a great you know, kind of stepping stone, you know, for for him.
Speaker 1: And you know today today will be fun.
Speaker 3: I was very, very surprised for him to be ninety nine one hundred miles an hour the last time.
Speaker 1: So you know, he's he's just so special.
Speaker 2: Hey, so are you, Alex VESSI. It means a lot to this Dodger team, to this Dodger bullpen. You've been a lot since twenty one, since you arrived. I call him the key a Hernandez of relief pictures. When the lights are the brightest, the moments the biggest Vessia has delivered.
Speaker 1: So thank you for the time. Yeah, I like that. Thank you