Speaker 1: It is Kentucky and this morning news Coffee and Company here on News Radio eight forty whas Happy Friday, everybody. That's right, it is Friday, best day of the week in my opinion. We've got LMPT Spokesman Dwight Mitchell with us. Happy Friday. How are we feeling?
Speaker 2: Everything's going well? Nick.
Speaker 3: It's always a pleasure to be in your presence, and especially today for a simple fact. I noticed that the T shirt you had on came in of the room this morning is very near and dear to my heart, and that's a dare T shirt which stood for Drug Abuse Resistance Education, one that I was very much a part of in the beginning here in Lowland, Jefferson County, and I'm very proud of that to this day. And I'm glad that you're downing that particular show and.
Speaker 1: It worked out well because this is a a vintage old shirt. And again, I'm sure a lot of people know exactly what Dwight Mitchell's talking about when he mentions there, but if you saw the logo on the shirt, I think it would take you back in time because when I was growing up and I hate to make myself always sound so young to an audience that probably thinks I'm young and childish anyway. But in the nineties this a big deal. I mean, it became a cool thing for kids to just embrace. And clearly the motivation was good to again keep kids away from drugs. But you shared something with me when you saw the shirt that I thought was fascinating, and I just I know people will appreciate this story. There are kids at the time who were a part of the DARE program with you that ended up following a path to law enforcement, many of them right, well.
Speaker 3: Yes, and there's about five or six of them that are on the police department now and may be more, but several of them are in our upper command. In fact, the Deputy Chief of Police, Emily McKinley was one of my DEARE students in a few years ago. My direct supervisor, Lamont Washington, was the sergeant of the Oh yes and uh. He was part of the DARE program as well as as many others that are there. And it does my heart well, not so much that they came into law enforce, but the fact to see them grow and mature and become the responsible adults that they had. We had any small part roll in that at the time we did that, What a great testimony that is.
Speaker 1: Well, there's no doubt there was clearly some level of an impact as far as making an impression to where they they've grown to be not only very productive human beings but also clearly working in a profession that we need people like them. So that is that is awesome to see. And I guess when I don't want to sound like I'm some young kid, I don't want to make you sound like you're some old ancient dinosaur. But he said it not me. You've you've done this a long time. You've been in this community a long time with LMPD in some form or fashion. What is it like to see those that that sort of kind of climb within that profession. And I mean, it's got to make you proud.
Speaker 3: Oh, it makes me a static because here's the thing in life. You know, as you grow and you mature, you don't necessarily know what you're going to do. But it's just one of those things that once you figured that out and then you do it to the best of your ability and you're able to make a career out of it and then to affect someone else's life, and I just call that just paying it forward. You just one thirsty man telling another thirsty man word to get water. And I think that's great. And if again, if we had some small impact on that at the time that they were growing and maturing, then to God be the glory.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that that line you said about one thirsty man to another thirsty man. I will tell you those kind of lines from Dwight Mitchell are getting a lot of praise. People seem to like those. So you bring a lot of wisdom and you say you've shared some things that I'm not sure people have heard, and they say, you know what. I like that people are putting those in their pocket and running with them. I hope they credit you when they share those those type of lines.
Speaker 3: They shouldn't credit me because I got it from someone else and just smart.
Speaker 2: Enough to say it.
Speaker 1: There you go, all radio is. It's just recreating something else as somebody else said.
Speaker 3: That's why I'm under a lot of great wisdom, mainly my great mother, my minister, and some other people in my life that have helped steer me. And you know, when you hear something you stored in your memory. Brank and when you have an opportunity to use it to give it to someone else, why wouldn't you do that?
Speaker 1: No doubt, things stick with you for a reason. There's no doubt about that. But Dwi Mitchell LL ANDPD spokesman's with us here on news radio eight forty Whas obviously, crime in the community, crime in Louisville, gun violence, that's been a talking point for quite some time and always will be, just as far as that's news, it's stuff that people need to know about. But what I think should be emphasized more than it is is just that we are seeing a drop in the number of these types of crimes right now. Homicides down thirty four percent, non fatal shootings are down thirty one percent, carjackings down thirty six percent. And obviously it goes without saying you want those to be at zero percent. As far as just them happening, that's not reality. But this is good progress, and I'm just curious your thoughts on the progress itself and maybe some factors that have led to this, because clearly things are heading in the right direction here.
Speaker 3: Well, I think getting the message out and officers are returning back to doing good groundwork policing. You know, the backbone of the police department are not detectives or things like that. It's the men and women on the street that ride those cars that you see that are very visible, are working those streets, are being aggressive when they're seeing things.
Speaker 2: And I think that's helped mitigating some of it.
Speaker 3: Now, if I had the civil bullet to say, if we keep doing this, then it'll keep going down. And I don't know that there's any rhyme or reason, and I don't care as long as it as it is going down. And that's the trend that we hope that continues to do. But I think a lot of the programs that that Metro government under Mary green Bird's leadership, putting those in place, having good continuity within the police department and having one mission, one goal, and that is to help eradicate crime. Now, you know, we've been a police department of some sort, whether it was the city police, County police, and now LMPD and the other agencies that we have other law enforcement agencies we have in our community been doing this for over two hundred years. And you know, now we're seeing a downward trending and I hope that it continues that way. Not to some people, perception is reality because on the news, you know, in the media, that's what you hear is when something goes wrong or if there's a tragedy and the should be reported. Nobody's not saying that. But I do want to tap the fact that crime is going down. But there's no simple saying solution to say that if we just because we.
Speaker 2: Did this, it's going down.
Speaker 3: And I don't think that would be wise to do either, because we're just going to keep doing what we're doing and hope the results continue the way that they are.
Speaker 1: You mentioned continuity. That's something that I would say maybe the average citizen doesn't really think about as far as what is important when it comes to the police department. You guys are a huge team, one big family, really a fraternity, and you see it often when you know, for example, Bear knows pizza had a benefit right for the officer who recently had passed away and for her family, and just to see the army of law enforcement and first responders really that are there. That was a reminder to me that you know, if they are they're brothers in arms. I mean, that's that's brothers and sisters in arms. I should say so continuity when it comes to just you know, having that that could that could go a long way. As far as just improving.
Speaker 3: Everything, well, yes, I think when you have clear cut, defined goals, whatever organization you and your chances of succeeding are good because everyone knows the mission and as long as we're working in that same direction, change is inevitable.
Speaker 2: It's going to happen if you do that.
Speaker 3: But if you're going this way and that way and this way and that way, then you're going to have that what I just said, chaos without using the term. But that's what we're what we're striving for, will continue to do and I see a great, great future that we have and I hope that it continues and gets better.
Speaker 1: I gotta ask, are you going to be out at Freedom Hall any over the next few days to watch the former Cardinals play.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna be there tomorrow at twelve thirty gap my TV ticket, there we go, and TBT ticket and I'm ready to go.
Speaker 1: It's been such a treat for fans to see former players play again, but just seeing guys play together that clearly were many years apart during their time. I'm envious of you because you got to experience the era that made Louisville basketball what it is. It kind of became my religion growing up. I know a lot about it, but I didn't get to experience it. I was born into this, didn't have any didn't have any options. In my son, he's the same way. He's excited about going and watching him play, and he's getting to see guys play that he wasn't even alive when they were playing for Louisville. But because of this event, he's watched them, he knows of them, and he's super excited. But imagine if this would have been a thing back in the eighties, some of the teams they could have put together with Dinny's teams then just loaded rosters, good stuff.
Speaker 3: Well, actually, there was a game that took place and it was I guess it was in the late eighties that took place, but the nineteen eighty National championship team played the nineteen eighty six National championship team, which I was there, and it was the first of It's kind of like that, so you did get to see that ear again.
Speaker 1: I remember seeing a clip on YouTube of somebody showing like highlights of it, and I remember thinking, like, I didn't know this happened. That was crazy. Griff played too, didn't he?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yes, and I mean tore them up.
Speaker 1: And those are the two. Those, of course, are the first two national championship teams. And back then was there was there a back and forth between hey, we're better because fans don't care. They love both teams. They love all the teams, especially those that want a title. But I could see some competitiveness of from the eighty guys in the eighty six guys.
Speaker 3: Well, one of the best competitors of it all was Derek Smith. And even though he had gone up because actually the freshman purpose of nineteen eighty six, we had like five or six of them that came in and they were playing a summer league. We should have a summer league that many of the UFL players played in. And I remember Derek being really really tough on them, but I think it actually tough in them.
Speaker 2: Of course it did to win that championship in six.
Speaker 3: So it's Louivell basketball has always been a part of the factory. I've been here my whole life and been a Louisville fan. My whole time. And I even go back to Junior Bridgeman and Alan Murphy days and Jim Price and when Denny first got here.
Speaker 2: So it was all good.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what. Those guys arriving as freshmen. It was important for those that were either finishing up their career or were that had an impact on being what it is. They're gonna let them know. Look, if you're gonna wear this shootiform and we're gonna keep this thing going, you gotta be tough. You gotta be ready.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, you gotta be ready, ready to go. And uh, you know Louivelle basketball in the eighties, we were the team of it.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness. Yeah, And I'm still jealous as hell, but I didn't get a chance to experience them.
Speaker 3: Don't be jealous. Here's what you do. At least you had somebody to tell you your hostory. And any time you know your history, even if you weren't there, you'll have a better appreciate for to push it forward. And that's what you're doing now.
Speaker 1: And even though I didn't get to experience it, it happening sort of created it becoming such an important thing around here. Not that it was not that it wasn't prior to that era, but yeah, we are the community where this kind of an event can thrive because man, we care about this stuff more than a lot of fans. Oh yeah, we're crazy for college troops.
Speaker 2: We are.
Speaker 3: And I think what now, three years ago when we first were in this, you know, when we're at a long time in the basketball ye, little athletics.
Speaker 1: We needed that as a fan base.
Speaker 3: We did, and I think it was a good rallying point. And you know, that's the thing about it. When you're down and you're lying on your back, the good thing about it is you're looking up. And that's what we saw and we had hope. And then you know what last year with a new revitalization that the program needed. Uh, you know, it's just fantastic what we're experiencing today.
Speaker 1: So brought us back to life, right that one down, Folks, when you're lying on your back, you're still looking up. I like he's providing wisdom. That's what he does. He's LMPT spokesman Dwight Mitchell White has always appreciate your time. Always good to see you, and I may run into you tomorrow at the game.
Speaker 3: Well I'm when we're off there to exactly where I'm sitting, so we make sure that we connect.
Speaker 1: Awesome, awesome. I got to introduce you to my son. He's a he's a super fan of law enforcement and firefighters. And I told him I get to talk each week to Dwight, Mitchell, Bell and PD. He's he's gonna be he's gonna be starstruck. You and Mantres Harrel are probably going to be the two he's the most excited to see. Looking forward to it.
Speaker 2: Thanks to right take care.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get to a quick update on traffic and weather. Keep this thing rolling along again. And it's Kentucky and this morning News Coffee and Company here on news radio waight forty whas. Thank you very much, John Shannon, it is Kentucky and his morning news Coffee and Company here on news radio eight forty w h as, Nick Coffee. That's me the company man, John all on alongside John. Have you ever checked out at a store gas station, maybe you were settling up at a fast food spot and the total ice be six dollars and sixty six cents.
Speaker 4: You know, I think I have done that, yes, And do you think.
Speaker 1: About like it does it bother you at all. Do you add something to the menu.
Speaker 2: No, I do.
Speaker 4: It does pop in my head like, oh, that's the Devil's number or whatever it's supposed to be.
Speaker 1: This morning, I was doing the self checkout at Thornton's because you guys know, I'm fueled by Thornton's. And I stopped in to get my Monster Energy drink, and then I also got a sprite and something else. I don't remember what it was. Oh little, yeah, a little piece of candy. Little it wasn't it. It was an airhead and I just wanted some sugar. In fact, if I get a little sugar in my system early on when I take meds that I take in the morning, that usually keeps me from getting nauseous. So anyways, long story short, the total was six dollars and sixty six cents. And because it was a self checkout I had I thought, Okay, I can't risk it. I mean, I wouldn't have thought about it another second had I walked out and it not been self checkout, meaning I would have to then have her rerun something if that makes sense, meaning like the cashier. But because all I had to do was pick something up, scanned again to not make it six dollars and sixty six cents, but make it just a little bit more expensive. And I don't know if I've ever done that before. As far as being fearful of like that, being a bad luck, or being superstitious about those kind of things, I don't think I am superstitious at all compared to I guess the average. But for some reason today I did that, and I'm having a great Friday, So maybe the friday wouldn't be so good had I checked out and paid six dollars in sixty six cents.
Speaker 4: I remember one time when it happened to me. I didn't say anything about it, but the person who wrung me up said, oh no, I've got to add a penny to this because they were worried that something was going to happen because of it.
Speaker 1: And I don't know if there's really anybody who's chucked up a bad life experience because they you know, and they think it's because they paid a total of six dollars and sixty six cents. But I'm thinking, look, if I add another airhead to the mix, it's another forty none sense and it's there's no reason to not, you know, avoid that potential risk. But yeah, I'm glad I'm not superstitious, which I'm just kind of knowing how I'm wired. I'm kind of surprised that I'm not. But anyhow, I don't remind you. When it comes to Thornton's. You could take advantage of the Frequency Club. If you purchase purchase something so frequently, eventually you get a free one, hence the name Frequency Club. For example, if you get let's say your routine is every day you stop in and you get yourself a twenty ounce bottle of Coca Cola, maybe a twenty ounce bottle of Sprite. Well, if you've purchased nine, the next one is ten. And look, I know, buying nine of them to get the tenth one in one visit is not ideal. But if it's part of your routine every now and then, you're going to be checking out, put that refreshing rewards membership in and boom, you get it for free. So again, you guys know the drill. I'm fueled by Thornton's love Thorton's. All right, so let's see where do we want to go here? Obviously I want to reset some things before we get to Mayor Greenberg, who's going to join us coming up around around eight o'clock. But I guess just to kind of keep folks caught up with really where we've been today, to kind of give you give you a rundown of things we've discussed. Obviously, we did talk about the cold Play concert leading to an affair getting exposed with a CEO and his HR chief of staff. That is an example of things just going viral because of everything involved. It's the satisfaction that I think people get by seeing two people doing something that they're not supposed to do get caught. But I tell you the reaction from them making it quite clear that it was a nightmare scenario for them to be up on the screen, that was the real giveaway. And I will say, you got to keep in mind the world we live in now, there is so much fake news that is generated. And I'm not talking about like politics, certainly it exists there, but there's been like this press release that's been put out by supposedly this guy and his company about the situation. I think you might have even referenced it earlier. John, It's not real. There's been no there's been no confirmation from like the statement where he released, you know, kind of playing victim or whatever, that's not real. And I would have believed it. I did believe it until you know, you do a little checking. And again, because my whole thought is if if you're this guy, you just mean you don't say anything publicly, you just try, it's worse. But if you didn't say anything, no.
Speaker 4: If he yeah the statement, yeah, I mean because it just because and he put that little the in the you know, the fake thing. It had like a lyric at the end of.
Speaker 1: Y it was like super So you know, I'm amazed and also scared at how real fake things appear. And I don't I'm not programmed yet, but I'm sure eventually I will be programmed to where at all times you just have to make sure what you're seeing despite how look how it looks or even how it reads it. It may be doctored. And there's certain things that people fake, like but for for what like it's not even like that big of news. It wouldn't even generate much interest if it was in fact real, So it's just it's it's wild. But yeah, that whole that whole situation at the Coldplay concert. It Uh, it's made its way national, and I'm sure there's a lot of folks that are thinking, well, good, They're going to get what they deserve, I will say. The linked end quote from the HR chief, who again is clearly having some type of romantic relationship with her married CEO on LinkedIn the quote says she's able to build trust with employees of all levels. Well, she proved that at the highest level of that company. She's seemingly having an affair with that guy, Andy Byron, the CEO of Astronomer. So all right, let's take a quick break, get you caught up on traffic and weather. Also, we need to talk about this threat from President Trump, a lawsuit that he's threatened he's start in legal action against the Wall Street Journal. And also when it comes to the clear emphasis on getting legal immigrants out of the country ICE, it sounds as if they're going to have access to something that might make them much more effective at what they want to do, which is get his many people out of this country that are here illegally. So we'll talk about that in a lot more as we move along. It is Kentucky and is morning news, coffee and company right here on news radio eight forty whs. It is Kentucky and it is Morning News. Coffee and company here on news Radio eight forty whas Nick Coffee, that's me and we have Mayor Greenberg said to join us coming up here at eight o'clock. So stick around for that, all right. So we now know that, and we've known for a while that there's a clear emphasis from President Trump to get illegal immigrants out of this country really, regardless of their situation, regardless of their criminals, regardless of them potentially working in working in industries that the economy clearly relies on. So that's not new information. But what is what is new information is the revelation that ICE is now going to be granted access to personal data of I think it's seventy nine million Americans that are enrolled in Medicaid, So they're going to have access to names, addresses, ethnicity, these birth dates, social Security numbers. And the purpose of this is because it's going to help them track down immigrants who may be living in the United States illegally. So again this is this has been a clear focus for Trump, and this I think just gives ICE more information to more so be able to do what they're setting out to do, which is to just get rid of as many legal immigrants as possible, regardless of their situation. And when I think of just this whole, this whole, what do you I mean, what's the better what's the word to use? I mean, it's clearly a task that he has that he's given Ice as far as just make it's put it this way, it's a big priority for Trump.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: But the the inconsistency early on just kind of still sticks with me because I don't know how you could make this decision without the knowledge that if in fact, you get rid of anybody and everybody that's he illegally regardless of said situation. There are certain industries that our economy depends upon workers who are here I legally. And then there was that pause where they weren't targeting those that worked in certain industries. I think it was hospitality, maybe restaurants, and then within a few days they went back to saying, regardless of your situation, they're there, they could be coming for you. So I try to at times put myself in the shoes of of of people in different situations, and it's really sometimes it's silly to do, because I mean, I don't think you can truly relate to certain things unless you experience those things. But if you have lived here your whole life, or maybe just lived here a good part of your life, and you have been you know, you're not you're not legally necessary, You're you're not here legally necessarily, but you've just you know, you've you've been off the radar, you've been you've been a good contributor to society. I mean, the fear that you would have every day, I mean, I can't imagine. And that's why do you think you have seen some just decide to say, instead of ending up in a situation where you get pulled from your family or whatever it may be, and you don't have any say so in said process, maybe that's why there have been more people decide to self deport. And I think if I was in that situation, that's I mean, I don't know what I would do, and I don't even want to think about it. That'd be scary for sure. But yeah, I just I think this information that ICE is going to have, it's just going to give them again the better ability to find who they want to find, which is again people who are here illegally, regardless of circumstance. All right, let's get an update on trafficking, weather, and then of course we'll get another update on sports with Scott. Stick with us. It is Kentucky and this morning news Coffee and Company here on news radio waight forty whas