Speaker 1: With Lucky Land Slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 2: Really beloved, we are gathered here today. Has anyone seen the bride and broom?
Speaker 3: Sorry?
Speaker 4: Sorry, we're here. We were getting lucky in the limo when we lost track of time.
Speaker 5: No Lucky Land casino with cash prizes that add up quicker than a guess registered.
Speaker 2: Well, in that case, I pronounce you lucky.
Speaker 5: Thanks for free.
Speaker 1: At Lucky Landslots dot com. Daily bonuses are waiting. No purchase necessary, boid. We're prohibited by lock eight team plus terms and conditions applag see website for details.
Speaker 6: Hello, it is Ryan, and we could all use an extra bright spot in our day, couldn't we? Just to make up for things like sitting in traffic, doing the dishes, counting or steps, you know, all the mundane stuff. That is why I'm such a big fan of Chumba Casino. Chumbuck Casino has all your favorite social casino style games you can play for free, anytime anywhere with daily bonuses. That's your brighten your day, Lowe actually a lot, so sign up now at Chumbuck Casino dot com. That's Chumbuck Casino dot com. No, we're not necessary daily revoidhever everybody lost a RecA eighty lay block Tadian.
Speaker 7: You are now listening to True Murder, The most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them Gasey Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker DTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host journalist and author Dan Zupanski.
Speaker 8: Good Evening. Cynthia Albrick, the executive chef of the Penske Marlborough racing team and darling of the Indie car circuit, went missing on October twenty fifth, nineteen ninety two, the night before her divorce from Michael Albrech became final Drivers and racing crews from across the country converged on the brickyard site of the Indianapolis five hundred to help search for her. As the head mechanic for the Dick Simon racing team known as Crabby across the race circuit, Michael had a reputation for bullying and abuse. He'd immediately become a suspect in Cynthia's disappearance, but with a strong alibi, there was nothing Authorities could do when he decided to take a vacation to Florida and skip a scheduled polygraph test and the search for his estranged wife. Nor could law enforcement charge him when Cynthia's body was found a few weeks later in northern Indiana minus her head. The case went cold for six years until a newly elected prosecutor allowed his deputies to charge Michael Albrech with murder. But would they be able to prove his guilt. This true crime legal thriller, written by one of the prosecutors, Larry Cells and journalist Margie Porter, runs at full throttle and will leave you on the edge of your seat right up to the checkered flag at the final verdict. The book that we're featuring this evening is Race to Justice, with my special guest prosecutor and author Larry Sells and journalist Margie Porter. Welcome to the program, and thank you very much for agreeing to this interview. Larry Sells and Margie Porter. Well, thank you, Dan, Thank you very much. Margie Porter and Larry Sells. Now, first off, Margie, tell us, as a journalist, how you came to be in a position to write this book, Race to Justice.
Speaker 9: I have to say that God was blessing me because I don't think I could have ever found this story by myself. I was in a writer's group working at that time with a judge on some children's books, and Larry happened by our writers group at Barnes and Noble and was talking to the judge and he ended up joining our writers group because he wanted to write this book. Well, he liked my work, and eventually he asked me to write the book, and I was like overjoyed because everybody was hoping for an opportunity like this, and basically I just felt like, you know, the sky had opened for me because I was getting to write this story. And I think that it is such a vibrant story and it's a murder. Yes, it's a grizzly murder, and it's tragic, but there is so much inspiration in this story that I just could not have stopped myself from writing it. So basically I was invited to write and thrilled to get the opportunity.
Speaker 8: Now, in the beginning of this book, we talk about Cynthia Allbreakfast, larger than life character executive chef for Penske's race team. And this is in May nineteen ninety two. So tell us Margie who Cynthia Albrech was. Tell us a little bit, as you write in the book, who she was, and then introduce her two best friends, Sandra Fink and Rebecca Miller.
Speaker 9: Okay, so Cynthia Albreck from the beginning should have been a tragic story. She grew up in Hialia, which is basically the slumps in Florida, and she had alcoholic parents and a very abusive life, and she was destined by fate to go nowhere. But this girl had a lot of spunk and she was determined that she would not stay there in that gutter. And so through her own efforts, she pulled herself up. She got a job, she got out of her parents' house. She eventually met Michael Albreck at a racing venue and fell in love, and he moved her to Milwaukee where he was involved as a race car mechanic. So she was born to tragedy. But she was the kind of woman who would not be kept down. She loved, loved, loved water sports, and she would get out there and she would try anything, and she was just so feisty, and people loved her and she loved people, and so that developed her. And when she got involved in the racing business. She started out as a Sioux chef, but she had so much cooking talent that she worked her way up to the executive chef for Roger Penske. Roger Penske was the pinnacle. Everybody wanted to work for Roger Penske. So she was the kind of woman who adored people. I mean, in one situation, the girls were driving to work and Roger Penske said, never ever ever be late, but there was an injured squirrel, and Cindy stopped to help the squirrel, and she felt that powerfully about an animal in distress. And the people that she meant just adored her. I mean they called her Ellie May because she had such a huge heart and was kind to everybody, and it didn't matter what team they were on. She would make sure that nobody went hungry. So people were just attracted to her, and she was the darling of the race. You know ndy five hundred, the gasoline alley. For decades, women weren't allowed there, but she was so anyway. Working for Penske, she met Sandy Fink and Becka Miller. These were her two best friends, and the three women ran the hospitality tent for the Penske team. Sandy was a Barbie doll. Bec mean, she was just, you know, this gorgeous blonde girl who had had her own talents, and she was very organized and she could do you know, delightful desserts. And Becca, you know, was just you know, this jazzy, little bright person who everybody adored, and everybody called them the girls in the racing circuit. They are still the girls now, they're not twenty anymore, but they are the girls and people just love them. And they played practical jokes, they did drive by fruitings, just having fun all the time. And so they were in the big middle of racing, and their husbands were all indie car mechanics, and they were best friends and just having a wonderful, wonderful time the time of their lives, and people adored them. And then of course, tragedy struck. As you know, this isn't this is a murder, and it's a gruesome murder. And if you read the description of what this killer did to her, you know, your stomach just kind of crumbles, because who would have the right to take such a bright and virbrant life. So this person, this self made person Sndy Allbrick, was destined for tragedy. She brought herself up to the heights of glory and then it was taken from her.
Speaker 8: Now you talked about when she met Michael Albrick, she fell in love, but then she found out that he was already married and he had other children in this developing relationship, Like her personality is that she's not a homewrecker, but tell us about that relationship with Michael and with the daughters. What kind of relationship they did have she did have with those daughters, and then some of the things that were characterized in the relationship in terms of socializing with her career and his participation in that socializing or not.
Speaker 9: Okay, So she left her entire life in Florida and moved to Milwaukee with Michael, and he did find out, she did find out that he was married and had three daughters, and she was willing to walk away. She said she wasn't going to destroy the marriage, but you know, obviously he was already an adulterer. And he said, oh, well, I'm divorcing her. I want you so he did divorce his wife, and when the girls came to visit in Indianapolis, well, Cindy would drop everything, no matter what she was doing, she would drop everything, and she would spend time with the girls and she would take them shopping and two events and just dedicate her whole time to them. But he did not. They were his daughters, but you know, he didn't want them to inconvenience him, so he just did his own thing and let Cindy take care of the girls. Socially, he was with the Dick Simon team. The Dick Simon team was not the star in the East at the Indy five hundred or any Indy car circuit. He was a lower rated team, but he was the chief mechanic and he made a good salary. Seventy five thousand a year, you know, back in the early nineties was a huge salary, and he was jealous Cindy. Cindy's friends Becca and Sandy started taking Cindy under their wing. She was kind of a plane jane. She wore you know, men's shirts and jeans and basically she wore her clothes to cover her and they said, no, you should wear beautiful clothes and they they taught her to wear beautiful clothes and to do her hair and her makeup, and she just brightened up and got some self esteem, which did not go well with her husband because he basically wanted to control her. So Marlboro Kinsky had a lot of money and a lot of huge events, and he started saying, I can't go. I work for Dick Simon. It's against the rules, which was not true. But whenever there was an event, everybody else went with their spouse and she had to go alone because he was controlling like that and was just passive aggressive. You know, I'm going to make sure you don't have a good time because I'm not that kind of attitude. So she would go by herself, and she was still, you know, bright and smartly, and she never let on that anything was bothering her. Occasionally she would show up with bruises and other team members would say, you know, is he hurting you? And she'd say no, no, no, no, no, hundred times, but it was obvious that he was mentally abusing her and she was afraid of him, and he would he would come by their area to talk to her, and everybody would just stiffen up. Because he was a mean person. I mean he even abused other racers or other mechanics so and talk down to them. So anytime the girl were together and he came around, she would signal, no, you can't talk about this, No you can't talk about that. You can't talk about us having fun because he wouldn't like it. Yeah, did that answer your question.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: The she had an operation in nineteen eighty nine, and this will become important later for our listeners. Tell us what that operation was to correct in nineteen eighty nine.
Speaker 9: Okay, so she had a severe case of TMJ, which means her jobs were missaligned. And this is a very painful condition. So Cindy grew up in a lot of pain. This misalignment causes severe headaches, neck aches, trouble with chewing. It just it's unbearable sometimes the pain. People get migraines from it. And she just had to endure it because her parents were alcoholics, they were poor, they couldn't do anything about it, and she just had to tough it out, you know, pain or no pain, you know, she went to work whether she felt like it or not, and she just endured it. But in eighty nine she had a surgery. It's called, I think a La fort astotomy if I can remember correctly to correct that. And the jawbone was rebuilt with a cadaver jaw and titanium and put together so that she quit having all that pain, and it aligned her jaw and it made her more beautiful. And Michael claimed that he paid, depending on who tells the story, anywhere from twenty five to forty thousand dollars for this surgery. Of course, other people say no, it was covered by insurance, and he just said that to make himself look good. But it was a very life transforming surgery as far as her personal comfort, her parents, and her happiness. He, as I said, took full credit, but a number of people seriously doubt that he ever paid anything for that surgery.
Speaker 8: Oh, really interesting, now, what aspects of their relationship, even though you write that Cindy was not a person to bring a certainly not to bring anything to work any kind of her problem marital problems to work, and she was, as you write, had a strained relationship with her parents that was just healing. You say her mother was alcoholic and the relationship with her father was shaky. You talked about what she confided in Sandy and Becky? What did she say about the relationship you talk about unusual and inappropriate in her mind sexual interests? Tell us what she did confide in these women about? Okay?
Speaker 9: Well, first of all, Michael, as I said, had her literally bound. He wanted her at work or at home period. He wanted total control. But of course he was out at the strip clubs himself, doing as he pleased. But at home he demanded really gross sexual practices. These women were working outside in the sun in the heat for fourteen sixteen hours a day, and she would come home dirty and sweaty and gritty, and he wouldn't want her to take a shower. He would want to have sex, and during her menstrual period he would want oral sex. And it really sickened her these practices that he was demanding. That it was a change in his behavior, but the more she hated it, the more he demanded it, and there didn't seem to be anything she could do about it. She couldn't please him, and anything he asked of her she tried to do, but she was just sickened and didn't want him touching her. And eventually she moved into the other bedroom and finally split up from him and got her own apartment.
Speaker 8: Now you see it, the apartments again. She doesn't believehas I had no experiences with actual violence, but there's this psychological abuse that she even tells her friends about that.
Speaker 1: With Lucky Lancelots, you can get lucky just about it anywhere.
Speaker 2: Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today. Has anyone seen the bride and groom?
Speaker 3: Sorry?
Speaker 4: Sorry, we're here. We were getting lucky in the limo and we lost track of time.
Speaker 5: No Lucky Land casino with cash prizes that add up quicker than a guess registered in lu case, I pronounce you lucky.
Speaker 1: Play for free at Lucky Landslots dot com. Dagley bonuses are waiting. No purchase necessary boid. We're prohibited by Law eighteen plus. Terms and conditions apply. See website for details. With the Lucky Land Slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 10: It's your captain speaking. We've got clear runway and the weather's fine, but we're just gonna circle up here a while and get lucky. No, no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes add up quick, So I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table upright and start getting lucky.
Speaker 1: Play for free at lucky landslots dot com. Are you feeling lucky? No purchase necessary void We're prohibited by Law eighteen plus. Terms and conditions apply see website for details.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, But you talk about access to that apartment, how far it is from where she was living with Michael, but also about the cats, the situation with the cats and the key. Tell us about that.
Speaker 9: Oh, sure, the apartment was just like five minutes away from her former home, and it was a second floor apartment backed against a lot where you could look out and see trees. But there was a supermarket on the other side. And she kept the cats, Billy and Willie. They both loved the cats, so she gave him a key so that when she was out of town he could come and take care of the cats. However, he came and took care of the cats and started prying into her personal mail and her personal business and raising Cain about things he saw that he thought were suspicious. She would get a card from a friend and he growled that something was going on and obviously get very severe with her. A number of people had seen him yelling at her and making her cry, and she still denied that anything was arrived with that situation except possibly to back here and standing. So they knew, I mean, they could sense and they could see that she was doing everything she could to hide it. Everything as fine as fine, But it came to the point that she could not allow him in her apartment, she could not allow him access to her life, and she changed the law. However, whenever she was home, she would open the back patio door so the cats could look out, because she loved the cats, but couldn't let them outside. They were inside cats.
Speaker 8: Now, you take us to the situation in October of nineteen ninety two, and you take us to the final race and where Pete our pardoner at Pete's waite and Cindy Meat and their relationship changes forever. But you also talk about, just preceding this, where Cindy's career is and where Michael's career is at right at that time, and then tell us about the October twelfth final race of the season.
Speaker 9: Okay, so the Indianapolis five hundred and nineteen ninety two. Dick Simon was running two cars and he could barely afford to run his team at all, and he did not win anything in that race, and he ended up firing several mechanics, including Michael, So Michael was not making seventy five thousand dollars anymore. He went to work for another team where he was part time working one hundred dollars, making one hundred dollars a day as a man who had been a chief mechanic. So his job on the Dick Simon team was if you ever watched the hit crew and the guys come out to change the tires, he always changed that left front tire. You know. He was that guy that people keeped in on because it was the hardest to get into. So he was, you know, mister chief mechanic, mister king, and then all of a sudden he was the low life. Her career, Pennskive Course was growing and doing better, and she had been to visit Roger Pinski's yacht. The entire team went to visit and he had just asked her at the end of the race season to come and be the chef on his yacht. So this was a huge, huge promotion and she would be able to go to Florida and you know, be with her parents, and she was falling in love with Pete Twitty. They'd worked together for over a year, nothing special between them until the end of the race season. They were at Skeleton Lake in Canada and just they literally fell in love. They were looking and get each other over the fire and literally connected as soulmates, and uh they were. She was going to go to Florida. She was going to live with Pete. She was going to have a great relationship as soon as their divorce was final. Her life was coming up, and she was going to work for Roger Penski's yacht and that was that just made her happier than anything.
Speaker 8: You said that there was a conversation between Pete and and Cindy and so and talking about that. He thought it was odd that she didn't want him to go to Albuquerque and help her with the move. Tell us about those details.
Speaker 9: It was almost like she sent something and was protecting him. Tete Twitty is an amazing man. I mean, when you when you read the book, you'll realize this guy he was a giant in all ways, but he's also very very sensitive and he could sense something in her that seemed dark. So when she went to go home, she wouldn't let him drive her to the airport and she just kept saying, you know, don't worry, it's all going to be over. And he'd say, well, what is going on? Is Michael going to come after me? Is he going to come up behind me? Is he going to do something? And she'd say, no, it's going to be okay. But he had this sense that something dark was going on. He said it was the kind of sensitivity he had had since childhood, and he had a feeling that something was bad, and he wanted so badly to go with her, and she kept refusing and saying, no, everything's fine, everything's great. He didn't have a chance, and when he got home to Flora, the first thing he did was start calling her and got no answer. It was too late. She got home from the race and she was gone. But he had a sensitivity that that was going to happen. And she left the Allen's Er junior party, the Halloween party. She was a party girl. She would have stayed till the last minute, but that night she said no, I just want to go to the hotel and be with you, which is not like her at all, And so Pete understood that something was very wrong, but she would not talk about it.
Speaker 8: Tell our audience about the details of the divorce that was to be final the twenty six and that as a couple they had worked on what was Michael's position on this, But tell us about the details about the pending divorce October twenty sixth.
Speaker 9: According to the lawyer, this was an amical divorce. It was just paperwork. They had agreed to divorce, they agreed on the division of the property. It was a simple matter of waiting, you know. The sixty or ninety days whichever it was at that time, I'm sorry, took for the papers to be finalized, and then the divorce was complete. So Monday, October twenty sixth was a weekday, and that was the day of the divorce. Michael had argued that it was the twenty fourth, but of course you can't be divorced on the twenty fourth, which is a Saturday, because the court's not open. And repeatedly he came to her during this time and said, can we talk, Please take me back. I just want to be with you. And Sandy and Becka heard these conversations, and Cindy just kept saying, no, you know, we're getting divorced. So the twenty fourth was the day, which happened to be the day after she disappeared. So she disappeared the night before the divorce was final, and it appears that maybe it was not as amicable as the lawyer thought.
Speaker 8: Let's talk about when Cindy gets home, the phone calls she makes. You talk about calling Sandy and wishing her happy birthday. Tell us about that timeline around what time was that, and then you talk about what Cindy does after that phone call, and then what Pete Twitty does at around ten forty five. Tell us about this turn of events in the timeline.
Speaker 9: Cindy flew in from Indianapolis and she was exhausted. She went home, she took a shower. She called Sandy to wish her happy birthday, and Sandy said she almost didn't answer because she was exhausted herself. And I just chatted and you know, it's your birthday, and I just wanted to call. And it was just a cheerful conversation. And Cindy was happy because her divorce was about to be final and she was going to pack up her life and go do something else. And she called her mother. She had bought a heart necklace. And given half the heart to her mother and half to herself. And this was a symbol of renewing their relationship because they had been estranged. There had been some bad blood between them. I mean, it was so bad that Cindy's first husband that she had as a teenager beat her brutally into the hospital. And her mother came in and saw her beaten like that and said, what did you do to him to make him do this to you? So mother was not very nurturing, but now, as a woman with self esteem, she was renewing that relationship. And she talked to her mother and she said that she was waiting for Pete to call and then she was going to get some sleep. So Pete got into Indianapolis about around ten, So we're talking about just the thirty forty five minute time period here. Pete got in and called her, no answer, and he called again, no answer. And he kept leaving messages thinking, well, you know, did she not get in yet? Is she asleep? What's going on? And he called and called and called and called, and he finally said, Cindy, I know something has happened, or or you would have called me, you know, maybe I hope we're going to laugh about this someday. But there was no answer. So right around nine thirty ten PM, she was gone.
Speaker 8: Now you talk about the next day. Sandy and Becky, they're supposed to meet up with Cindy for a meeting talking about money. This was the end of the season, so they had planned to get together on Monday. She also had an appointment with her divorce attorney, and there was we didn't mention that on this extreme sports interest that Cindy had had knocked out all of her teeth. A dentist that also was involved with the indie racing said, listen, when you get back to Indianapolis, I'll fix you up. So there was that some appointment possibility that she would be seeing a doctor. Lots of things to do on that Monday. Pete is very worried. Contacts to Sandy and Becky. What do they all decide to do?
Speaker 9: At first, Sandy said, you know, when you get home from the race, there's all this to do. She had to go see about her divorce. She may just be busy today. I'm sure she'll call you later. But they didn't get an answer either, and so Tuesday morning, when nobody had heard from Cindy. Sandy and Becky got some coffee and donuts and went over to go over the books. Because Cindy had the kind of integrity that at a moment's notice, she could account for every penny of Penske's money, they gave them those girls thousands of dollars in cash to buy all the groceries because they were feeding hundreds of people. So she had a bag with that money, and the girls were coming to look at the receipts, look at the cash, make sure everything balanced, turn it in. They got to the apartment and her truck was there, and they were like, she's just not answering the phone. But she didn't answer the door either, so they went up the backstairs and it was like instantly they felt this darkness. I mean, the apartment was dark and the cats were crying and there was no music, and they instantly knew that something was wrong. Plus the door was off on the patio, so Sandy opened the door and they kind of looked in and they called to her and they didn't get an answer, and they were just freaked out and scared, and then they realized somebody could be in there, so they went back to Becca's car and they got a can of Maze and an umbrella because if somebody was in there, they were going to pokem and spray. I mean, that was their big plan. They went back into the apartment and it was just like this deathly silence, and of course Cindy was a virant person, there wouldn't be any deathly silence in her apartment. They went through the apartment and she was gone. Even the bathroom. She had this ocean blue curtain, and Beca said, I can't look behind it. I can't look behind it, and so Sandy said, I'll look behind the curtain if you look in the bedroom. And they were hoping to find her, but she wasn't there. So they called the police and Dane Morgan came and got them out of the apartment because he thought it might be a crime scene. And then this detective Steve Turner showed up and he treated it like it was not a crime scene. He was touching absolutely everything. Becca wanted to smoke, said don't go outside, just you know, use this ashtray here. So it was like you had two officers there, one acting like, oh my goodness, this is a crime scene, and this other guy saying, Oh, she's probably out, you know, doping or boozing or with a guy. No big deal. But the detective was Michael Albreck's best friend. So she was gone and they just thought it would be like TV. Okay, we reported her, somebody go find her, and it didn't happen, so they started calling friends. Racers came from around the country to Indianapolis. It was late October. We had freezing rain, it was cold, it was miserable. They were out all hours, day and night, going through woods, going through ditches looking for her for weeks. They loved her that much they just dropped their lives. They came to Speedway to look for her.
Speaker 8: Yeah, let's use this as an opportunity. Margie and Larry to stop for a second to talk about our sponsor, which is ship Station. When you're selling online, getting your orders out can be of real pain, time consuming, expensive, so many carriers to choose from. How do you know you're making the best choice. That's why you need shipstation dot com. It's the fastest, easiest, and most affordable way to manage and ship your orders. Ship Station helps you get your orders out quickly, save money on shipping costs, and keep your customers happy no matter what you're selling Amazon, where you're selling Amazon, Etsy, your own website. Ship Station brings all your orders into one simple interface, making them really easy to manage from any device, even your cell phone. Ship Station works with all of the major carriers, including USPS, FedEx Ups, even Amazon Fulfillment, so you can compare and choose the best shipping solution for you and your customer. They even offer big discounts on shipping costs. Now any business can access the same postage discounts that are usually reserved for large Fortune five hundred companies. You'll always know that you're getting the best deal. The wonder ship Station is the number one choice of online sellers. You'll ship more in less time with the best rates available and right now, True Murder listeners can try ship station free for sixty days when you use promo code true Murder. There's absolutely no risk. You can start your free trial without even entering your credit card info. Just visit shipstation dot com, click on the microphone at the top of the homepage and type in true Murder that's shipstation dot Com. Than enter promo code true murder shipstation dot Com. Make ship happen.
Speaker 1: With Lucky landslids. You can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 2: Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today. Has anyone seen the bride and broom?
Speaker 10: Sorry?
Speaker 4: Sorry, we're here. We were getting lucky in the limo and we lost track of time.
Speaker 5: No Lucky Land casino with cash prizes that add up quicker than a guess registered in.
Speaker 2: In that case, I pronounce you lucky for free.
Speaker 1: Lucky land Slots dot com. Daily bonuses are waiting. No purchase necessary board. We're prohibited by lock eight team plus terms and conditions applag see website for details.
Speaker 8: We were speaking about what was happening next with the Michael Albrecht Margie.
Speaker 3: What we.
Speaker 8: Didn't mention was that immediately Sandy, Pete and Becky believed Michael is responsible for Cindy's disappearance. And as such, you write that Sandy decides to call Michael at euro Motorsports. What is said in that conversation, what does she believe she already knows, and what does she ask him? And what's his response?
Speaker 9: So the girls called Michael and they were just, you know, all chit chatty. They didn't say that they were in Cidy's apartment. They were just like, hey, we're looking for Cindy. I wonder if you've seen her, and he said, no, she's not home from from California yet and I don't know when she'll be back. He denied knowing anything about her. So sorry, So he denied knowing anything. But immediately he was home packing up to go to on a trip to Florida. He was called into the police station. He was questioned and he was he was assigned to do a light detector test. He agreed to do it, but then he took off to Florida. Pete Twitty flew in from Florida, took the first flight he could get, went to the police station and was raising questions. He did know that. He was talking to Steve Turner, who was Michael's best friend, and Turner just said, oh, she's got lots of boyfriends, and he said, no, she's worked for me for a year. She's not doping, she's not out seeing boyfriends. Something's wrong. But Michael was just taking off the Florida to have a vacation. So all these people were looking for her, and Twitty even went to hire a private investigator. They were all looking for her for three weeks, and of course, after three weeks they found her. Not they, but some hunters found what was left of her, and then it got to be a really sad story.
Speaker 8: Now let's introduce Larry Cell's prosecutor, Larry Sells. Larry, I know that you don't come into this story just for a little bit, but tell us, as you know you've had the audience would know, and I know that you reviewed absolutely everything. Tell us a little bit about this private eye Campbell. What was his background and the kinds of things he did and basically the investigation that Sandra Becky and Pete Twitty undertook on their own. Tell us a little bit about your background, Larry, where you were at that time, and tell us a little bit about this private eye Campbell and what he found.
Speaker 3: Well, Don Campbell was a retired homicide detective with Annapolis Police Department and was very well known, very highly respected. Is a former marine and a tough guy and a grizzly appearance. And he didn't give him it.
Speaker 8: So what happened, sorry you're saying he was.
Speaker 3: Pete Tweity got information about mister Campbell, possibility you could hire him as a private investigator to help find Cindy or find out what happened to her. He went to see him. He had money that in part Penske had provided for hiring a private detective in about ten thousand dollars A funny story, sat down with Don Campbell, and Don told him, listen, I'm going to take this wherever it leads me, even if it's to you, mister Twitty. And Pete says, I'm not concerned. And he said, well, it'll cost you ten thousand dollars up front. Pete put the money on the table, he blinked, and the money was gone, and Don Campbell was hired, and he and Sandy Fink went to Milwaukee started interviewing people, even the people that had already been talked to by either the Speedway Police Department or Indianapolis or Indiana State Police, and even the FBI was involved in interviewing potential witnesses. And they talked to all of them and did a pretty thorough job and competent investigation. I had access to all that information during the course of the you know, my involvement in the case. That's how Don got involved. Tell you something, I remember reading about this case when Cindy disappeared. I mean, I was, just like a lot of other people in Indianapolis, was an avid fan of any car racing, and when I read about it, my first thought was, you know, this sounds like the husband's involved. But I didn't read much about that or hear or see anything on television about it for a while until her body was found, and that brought more attention to what had occurred. And still thought, well, the husband's probably involved. But I wasn't actually consolted or involved in the case at that time, and I was working on other cases. I had some definitely cases I was trying, and several other murders. But in the fall of nineteen ninety six, Lieutenant Bill Jones from the Speedway Police Department, who was a lead investigator in the case, and a Sergeant William Kruder with Indiana State Police and some of their co workers got permission to and came to the prosecutor's office and consulted with me and another deputy prosecutor. I'll tell you the first thing I saw in that case were the gruesome crime scene photos where Cindy was found and their body was found in the barbaric nature in which she had been killed, and I just thought, you know, how could anybody do that to a fellow human being? And I decided at that point, man, if you give me any evidence here, I'm going to go after the person responsible for this and we're going to make them pay for it. That's how I got involved.
Speaker 8: How did you go about this is the change of prosecution at the county level, and so you became involved. As you mentioned, how did you undertake this? Again basically essentially a reinvestigation to be able to prosecute Michael albrick.
Speaker 3: Well, the detectives, Bill Jones and Bill Kruger had done an outstanding job of gathering all the evidence I could get telephonic communications, and of course that was pretty much limited phone records, we didn't have cell phones back then, and also bank records, insurance records, and all the hundreds of witnesses that had been interviewed. I had access to all that information, all the crime scene evidence. But you'll have to understand that although there was some evidence in her apartment, really there was no evidence that the person that committed this crime had actually been there and done anything. There was evidence of Cindy being there, and there's evidence of this bag containing funds left over from the last race we're going, the sacred race that the girls were going to go through and then eventually submit that to Roger Penske's Marlboro Penske team. There was about over two thousand dollars that was supposed to be in that bag. Well, that money wasn't there. It was missing, and only a few people the Sandy, Becca, Cindy, and Pete Twitty and a couple other people Marlbvill Penske were aware of that. There was one other person that was aware of it, and that was Michael, the husband. Well, that money was gone, but nothing else was taken out of the apartment. Her car keys were there, or truck keys, they should say. Her purse with money and credit cards, other valuables in the apartment weren't even touched. The only thing taken out of that apartment was the money from that briefcase. And Cindy's body, which evidently was wrapped in a comforter that was missing from the apartment. And she must have been wearing her favorite T shirt, a large, extra large Garth Brooks T shirt that she often wore. After she took a shower and reclined on the couch for the evening. That was what was gone from her apartment.
Speaker 8: What about what did you find about life insurance policies for both of them?
Speaker 3: Okay, you know, I want to go back to their crime scene again. There were two crime scenes here, one where the body was actually heard. There had been some inclement weather, is is in very cold weather, rainy cold weather. The body was pretty well reserved, but there were any forensic evidence or trace evidence that normally you might be able to find at a crime scene and then washed away by the weather, and of course the head was not there. How you asked about life insurance. When she and Michael actually separated and she filed for divorce, she thought, for all intents and purposes her other divorce, her other life insurance would would be ended because she didn't make the premium payments on it, and she got her own life insurance and eventually named her father as a beneficiary of that policy. What she didn't know, and probably would have caused her considerable concern, is that Michael Finker kept paying a Michael fin I apologize Michael. Think Michael kept paying those premiums every month religiously. He made those premiums that becomes very important later on. Why would he pay premiums on a soon to be ex wife's the life insurance policy. It's a turn which means that the only way any money can be realized from that is if the person ensured die and then the individuals it's a beneficiary of that policy would get those funds. And Michael, of course was the beneficiary of that policy. And that's where that stood. But I'll tell you when I started reviewing this case, and there were volumes of materials and records when I started reviewing it, just different things came up to just all of us pointed toward Michael albret. It starts with the fact that the divorce was to be final December the Earth October twenty sixth, and she goes missing that very evening before. Now that could be a coincidence, I guess, but it's a very perplexing coincidence. Michael Albrecht, as you just heard from Margie, and Margie did a great job of telling you about not everything, and I appreciate that, and you probably understand now why I selected her her right, I couldn't write where the dern But Margie can not only write, she can talk and she explained things very well and I certainly appreciate it. I'll be forever and gebted to her for writing this book and doing such a great job on it, and everybody that's read it that her friends or were friends of Cindy feel the same way. Well, Michael Albrick was questioned he was supposed to show up for a polygraph the next day based upon the information he provided, the main substance of which is that he wasn't here in Innyianapolis when that happened. He was in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and he had people that could could support that corroborate that. Well, he leaves for Florida the next day, doesn't show up for the polygraph. Everybody else that knows Cindy, that cares about her, everybody in the racing community, comes from everywhere to try to look for her. And where is he. He's vacationing in Florida. He knows at that point she's missing. He's been told by law enforcement. But this woman that he had tried to convince him just a few days before at the last race and Laguna Seka to come back to him, and he he wants her back, but what's he do when she shows up missing? He goes to Florida. You know, he didn't even get a learn about her once he knew that she was dead.
Speaker 8: You talk about and write about the reason why this took so long to actually take him six years to be able to take him to trial is that Michael Albeck had an alibi, and that alibi witness. That alibi was investigated and seemed to check out, at least in terms of the prosecutor at the time not willing to to prosecute, to move ahead with charges. In this investigation that you conduct along with detectives and with the detective Jones, what tell us the story of a Bill Filter and how that story changes.
Speaker 3: I want to do a little bit of a lead into that, if you don't mind. I wasn't consulted on this case till the fall of nineteen ninety six and all the work had pretty much been done, and I was aware of Bill Filter's involvement as an alibi witness for Michael Aubrett and michae Albrack's ex wife, and Milwaukee was also an alibi witness, and Bill Felder was a longtime friend of Michael's. But you know, I looked at the things that I thought. I know, the alibi was an obstacle, but I looked at the things that I thought pointed to the guilt of Michael Aubret as a person, because, in my opinion, if I could show that he committed the murder, and I could deal with that alibi first, but I need to be able to convince in my own be convinced my own mind, to be able to convince others that he's the one that did it. And I saw that evidence in the files, and I can't blieve in no other prosecutor before I looked at it was willing to dig in there and go through that stuff. I just in ninety six alone, I tried two death penalty cases. I tried some other murders. In nineteen ninety seven while I was still with us this, I tried fourteen murder cases. But I just I was so affected by the gruesomeness of this murder and what a beautiful person's in the all breck was that I decided, you know, whatever it took, I was going to search through these files and if the evidence was there, I was going to charge the person that was responsible for Now I was on a show called On the Case with Paula's on about this case in the all Breck murder, and she asked me, Larry, why do you think no other prosecutor was willing to file this case, either the prosecutor in Newton County in northern Indiana where the body was found, or the prosecutor in Marion County in Innnapolis, Indiana, where the crime actually started. So why wouldn't they file his case? I said. Clint Eastwood once said in one of his Dirty Hairy movies that the man's got to know his limitations, and I guess they knew theirs. I know that sounds pretty cocky, but you got to have that attitude in this business. I'm normally not that type of person, but when I get involved in a criminal case and I'm pretty focused and I feel confident once I've made a decision that I'm convinced that a person's guilt, that I'm going to do everything I can to make sure they're brought to trial and convince a jury that they did it. And that piece by piece I went through here. You know, I talked to you about the fact that divorce was to be final, that he laughed. While everybody went to Florida, everybody else was looking for a life insurance policy. I mean that jumped out at me. The fact that just a few days after she went missing, Michael Albreck's boss, a guy by name of Antonio Ferrari, had just come back from Italy and he was the owner of the euro Motorsports team that Michael was working part time for him. He liked Michael, Michael did a great job for him, but he couldn't afford to pay him the full salary of a full time racing cancer hired him on a part time basis. Well, Michael all right. When Ferrari got back into into the States, he read about Sindy's disappearance, and it brought up all those conversations, and he remembered all those conversations. Who did what Michael about about Michael's feelings. Michael so distraught, and it came toward the end of September early October, about the time the Pennsylvania Pennsylvania Race was to take place. Michael asked him if he could find somebody in the mafia that could do something permanent, in other words, kill Cindy. He said he had a fifty thousand dollars life insurance policy that he could pay that person that did it, and and Antonio put him off. He didn't know anybody in the mafia, but because of his name and I guess his connections to people in New York, Michael thought he did. But when he read about Cindy's disappearance, even though at the time when Michael was talking to him, he didn't, you know, he just he wrote it off as a rantings of the distraught to be ex husband, And we read that he went to the police and told him that that was really a significant piece of evidence. We also found out that Michael had secreted five thousand dollars in his father's bank account in Milwaukee that he kept there during the time the divorce was pending. Well, what do you think he did? Monday morning, October twenty sixth He and his father go to the bank and he withdraws that five thousand dollars. Oh yeah, yeah, And they don't have to worry about sharing that with Cynthy anymore. But these that's the type of information that we were collecting. Now, all the phone calls between him and Felder. He hadn't really seen Jill Fielder for a long time. They knew each other when they were younger. Then they had reconnected in the spring of nineteen ninety two and Mike, well, I guess when it became a strange from sending started developing these plans to do something to it because he was so enraged over the fact that he had lost his position with Dick Simon racing in a top job, and she was doing so well with Marlboro Penske and the fact that you know, he just blamed her for the destruction of relationship, that she was finding love somewhere else, I mean, just consumed him. And he decided, you know, during that summerfall that he was gonna he was going to do something to her. He's gonna kill her, have her killed.
Speaker 8: So you also found out information damaging information against Michael from his own brother, who was a police officer. This is fascinating information in terms of what Randy does as a brother and as a police officer. Tell us about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was in the summer. He was living in Florida at the time. His brother was a Broward County Deputy sheriff in Fort Lauderdale, and he was living with the living with his brother and his brother's wife and family, and his brother could see Michael just self destructing, just right in front of him. Michael just going berserk, and he was so enraged, upset, crying one moment, threatening Sindy at other moments, and he tried to get his brother to find a Cuban, somebody in that area, Miami area that could do something to Sindy when she came to Florida to visit her mother in the summer. Of course, his brother said, now, listen, you're upset because the fact that you and Cindia are breaking up. I just give it some time. Uh. And he just tried to talk Michael down. That Michael couldn't be talked down. Uh, you know, and his brother, just like Antonio Ferrari later on, his brother just kept putting him off and putting him off, and that Michael was determined. Uh. And you know what happened at the end.
Speaker 8: M HM.
Speaker 3: Now, we didn't find anything about out about William Fielder's involvement until we actually charged Michael Albrecht. But I had a plan in motion, and that was that I was going to charge Michael Albrick getting back at that time he was working as a mechanic and a and a dealership at BMW Dealership in right outside of Atlanta, and we had to extra guide him back because he didn't want to come back willingly. But we got him back to Indiana and I put the second stage of the plan in action. I filed charges against William Fielder for assisting a criminal, because if Michael had committed the murder, that meant William Fielder was lying about the alibi. So I charged him with assisting a criminal. The lesser crime was a Class C felony carrying anywhere from two to eight years in prison. I got the judge that put one hundred thousand dollars bond on him, and we went to arrest Bill Fielder. We got a lawyer, and the lawyer called me and said, Larry, is there anything we can do with this case? And I said, well, it depends on what Bill Filler is going to do. He said, I think you don't like what he's going to do. So the lawyer and he came to Innapolis and I sat down with Bill Filder gave him a grant of immunity, meaning that anything he told us as long as he wasn't involved in the murder would not be used against him so long as he told the truth. And he agreed to do that, and he told us some things that were things we didn't know, and Ashley helped the case considerably.
Speaker 8: You write about what he says, and it is incredible that he keeps his secret for five years, more than five years, but in the end he confesses and he states the preparation that Michael Albrick did for him, and the request he had in the beginning, and what Michael Albrick settled for with Bill Filter. But it was especially shocking and yeah, very shocking to hear the preparation and all the things that Filter said that all Brick had instructed him to do.
Speaker 3: Tell us, Well, Philler had come to in Inaplis in May of ninety two for the five hundreds, and that's that was five Ermut Race, and that's sort of where they had talked before that, but that's sort of where that it really reknewed their relationship again. Well, there have been a lot of communication between them up and through a letter part of September early October of ninety two. In early October, Mike Albrich asked well William Fielder to come to Annapolis what she did, and Albrick took him to the wooded area behind Send the Albruck's apartment from which you could actually see Send these balcony and you could actually see into the apartment through the sliding glass doors. And he showed field this and he said, Bill, I want you to help me. Actually, I want you to do it. I want you to kill her. She's ruining my life and I want you to kill her. He says, Now we're going to have to cut her head off because all of this extensive work she's had done on her jaw. He told Filder about, you know, the titanium that was in her jaw. And you know, if Fielder had to have been there to be able to describe himself what he saw from that wooded area when he looked up to Cindy's balcony, and he had to have been told by Michael Albrecht about that titanium in her jaw to know those things, and that added to his credibility as witness. And so why he waited so long before he ever said anything, or why he waited until the threat of prosecution and have him make one hundred thousand dollars bond or sitting in jail awaiting disposition. In his case, I can't tell you why he waited that long. He said that he didn't think that Michael is actually going to do it. Although when you're drug out to an area like that, you're told this is what's going to happen. I want you to help me do it. Philder said that he told him, he says, you're crazy. Just let this woman go, and he said had later on then he said although he wouldn't help him do it, that he would agree to alibi for him because Olbrick did the requested that he do that. You know, I don't know what's going on in his brain. Then all he's got to do is call law enforcement and let him know about it. And Cyndy Aubrucks still lie today. Let's fast forward to October the twenty fifth, and they're still having both personal contact and telephone communications between them, and they're talking about this stuff well in October the twenty fifth. Let's go one day before that, October twenty fourth, he goes out drinking a filler and again still tries to get him to help him do this, until this says no, hollibi for you. I'm not going to help you do it. On October the twenty fifth, they don't see you talk to one another. The next time Bill Fielder sees him is the morning of October twenty six, is after Olibert had spent the night with his ex wife there in Milwaukee. He drives out to Bill Filter's work site that Monday morning. Philler sees him, walks out to him. Albert's out of his car and he says. Philler says, did you do it? Albret says, yeah, she's in the trunk. You want to see her. And Philder took a step toward the car and I said, stopped. He said, I don't think so well. Philler telling us about that incident. I mean, that seems so real, so convincing that that actually happened. That the two things that I thought really establishes credit ability, even though you know you loathe him and what he did, in fact he didn't take action. It convinced that he's telling the truth. And he fills in other details as well. But those were two very significant parts because it let us know we wondered how he could get the Indianapolis Kill Cindy get back to Milwaukee and the body end up in that wooded area about halfway in between. And how did that happen in an eight or nine hour period because it's over four hours from Indianapolis or from Wukee to Indianapolis and SAME's going back. Those are under normal conditions with normal traffic. Of course, these were normal conditions. He was in a hurry, but he it told us what happened. Has he probably strangled her in the apartment because they didn't leave any there's no blood evidence or any evidence of that. He in his struggle there, and he was a really strong guy. Strangler killed her, took her, carried her through that wooded area to the back of a supermarket that's right off Interstate for sixty five that led up to sixty five and then to Milwaukee. Threw in a truck of a car and drove back to Milwaukee. Spent the night with his ex wife with his with Cindy still in the truck of that car dead, and uh, he even had sex with his ex wife if you can believe that. Next morning he goes out to see Fielder and then he goes with his dad to the bank and gets the five thousand dollars. He drives back to the wooded area just off sixty five and uh, that's see Roselawn DeMott exit. And there's a nudist college just a couple of miles down the road from the wooded area where he dumped the body, cut off her head, probably wrapped it in that comforter he'd taken off the bed and threw in the tront of the car with and you know, he also took that Garth brook and Brooks T shirt and the head with him. And we believe that he may have He came back to Innanapolis and he left in his little BMW to drive to Florida a couple of days later, and we think he may have taken the head with him to Florida and disposed of it there. But we don't know. We just know it was never recovered. Right. The filler help fill in those holes, helped tell holes, help tell the story of what happened.
Speaker 8: Now you read that trial. Of course, iss four attorneys, one being a person named Finley and another quite successful attorney named Camon. And it's what we could categorize.
Speaker 3: A congresswoman that was represent him for a while.
Speaker 8: Needless. The vigorous defense wasn't there, Yes, it was, yes, Now you were interested in the ahead.
Speaker 3: Anything they could do they did do. Fortunately, we had a judge that was really about as sharp as judge I've come across. Knew the law very well and with the help of our UH legal intern who's now a prominent attorney in the Hamilton County areage is North Indianapolis as an extremely brilliant and gifted legal mind, helped us with illegal research and responding to a lot of issues that came up, including extradition issues and UH Kevin regarding light detector tests that somebody else had taken and not done so well on a potential suspect before I addressed all difficult, complicated traps legal traps that were set up by the defense throughout these proceedings. So he helped us enormously. Allowed the other attorney, John Commons, other deputy prosecut and I had to focus on the witnesses and the evidence, and that was a that was quite a lot as well. We had two weeks of trial in this case as well as unbelievable hearings that lasted from the date of his arrests in June of ninety seven until the trial in June of ninety eight, So it was an ordeal all the way through. But I wouldn't have had it any other way. I mean I wanted to do it, and he had top flight lawyers, well paid. Who've you know? I have received acclaim elsewhere in other cases. And they did a terrific job. That did such a great job that after the trial and the verdict, there wasn't much left for them to appeal. Yeah, certainly they couldn't retail a case based upon the un effective assistance Council.
Speaker 8: M You write about that you were interested in the death penalty, but that decision was not up to you, so again went to the jury with a different sentence. Tell us about that sentence. And but before that, what we haven't spoke too much about is the extraordinary effort of Sandra Becky and Pete Twitty and this private eye Campbell that came that did a lot of work before the body Cindy's body was discovered. And you in the book, it talks about your meeting with these people and you're impression of these people and their efforts. So tell us about that meeting with these people, their efforts what you thought about them, and then talk about the death penalty versus what actually the sentence was handed down.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you the detective Bill Jones, the primary detective, is teared up on television on a couple of occasions thinking about what dear friends Sandy and Becco were and Pete and how so strongly they felt about Cindy and making certain justice was done to the extent that the law allows. That. They pushed and pushed and pushed Bill. Not that he required much nudging, because he was quite willing to do the work, but I think it gave him the motivation to go even beyond what he felt like perhaps needed to be done, to do everything possible to see that charges would be brought. And the person tried. He couldn't get any prosecutor listen to him, but that didn't stop him. He just kept after it and back and Sandy kept after him, kept bugging him Bill when something going to happen here, get those charges filed. They even went to the governor and the state of Indiana trying to get something done, but he just gave him the cold shoulder too. But Bill didn't at their encouraging encouragement and Pete was after him as well. He just worked and worked and worked, and he finally came and talked to me and John Commons about this case. You'd seen that we had won a murder case just a year or so before against a lawyer, criminal lawyer that had murdered his wife, and the evidence in that case was entirely circumstantial. He felt like he had a better case than the one we had won, so he talked to the new elected prosecutor, Scott Newman, and Scott said, yeah, you can talk to these two guys. He came in to see us, and he convinced me right away. But I still had to convince Scott Newman that there was enough evidence there to let me file it. And I told you about all the cases I was handling at the same time. I was going through all these materials. But finally Scott agreed to allow us to file the charges. But uh, the throughout this whole ordeal, Sandy and Becca never lost their drive or will to uh see that that their that their dear friend was avenged, and they just pushed and pushed and pushed. Now, I never met either one of them or Peach Twitty until after I filed these charges right, and then I couldn't stay away from them. I mean, they kept calling me to know what was going on at different stages. Pete Twitty invited me to Cleveland, Ohio to a big Championship Auto racing team event there in Cleveland and wanted me to attend, and he just wanted me to keep him apprize of everything that was going on to and throughout the period from the time of arrest until the trial. They were involved themselves and having give depositions or sworn testimony about what they knew. The defense had a right in state of Indiana, they're allowed to take depositions of state's witnesses, and also Pete Twitty had to as well, and they voluntarily applied with all that they wanted to do everything they could from the time she went missing and they knew in her own minds who was responsible for it until we went to trial. For six long years, they worked so hard that it was hard for either Bill Jones or myself or John Thomas to not work hard as well, regardless of other investigations or other cases we were working on. And they motivated me. I'll say that, I mean the case itself, and the sweetheart that Cyndy Aubreck was, and what had happened to her, you know, the barbaric nature she was treated. All those motivated me as well. But those girls and Pete kept me alma toes too, And to this day I thanked them for their help in pushing this case as hard as they did, because that assured that everybody involved, at least from the prostitution standpoint, was going to do everything they could to assure to get justice for the for the family, friends, and for Cindy.
Speaker 8: What was the sentence? I mentioned that you wanted to death finitely with someone else's decision. What was the sentence?
Speaker 3: I tried to cases, and I thought this case was the horrendous. Uh. The injuries that were there, that was sustained, and what pain and miseries Cyndy had to go through. And I thought, for this case, just from the circumstances of the crime, that deserves the death penalty. But there's some considerations in addition to the circumstances of crime. For one thing, the evidence was mostly circumstantial and it wasn't the best case. Uh, as far as you know, I walked into the courtroom tried a lot stronger cases than this one. Uh. But this case, I thought we had enough evidence that at least a jury ought to make a decision on guilt or innocence. They ought to be presented to a jury, let them hear the evidence and make a decision. But you know, the elected prosecutor makes a decision constant consulting with the deputy prosecutors that are handling the case whether or not a death the death meiner should be should be filed. And because it adds so much extra uh impact in more evidence even that needs to be presented for that type of case to convince a jury who's aware of the time they're trying it, that's the deathIn the case, they require even more evidence they might in another murder case. And we didn't want to run the risk, and certainly Scott Newman didn't. They thought he was running and some risk allowed me to try the case in the first place. But he didn't want to run the risk of losing a case because the jury got hung up on the death in the aspect. So we went with murder. And at that time in the state of Indiana, a murder carried a maximum of sixty years in prison, and a sixty years sentence in Indiana back then didn't mean sixty years in prison. An individual only had as only as he belonged behaving himself in prison, only had to serve half that time or less. Yeah, the walls changed in twenty fourteen. They changed so that they had to serve seventy five percent of the sentence. But even a sixty year maximum sentence wasn't enough in that case. But that's what we were left with, and that's what he got.
Speaker 8: Say June fourth, two and twenty twenty three, he's eligible to be out. I want to think very much you will be.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Here's here's another talking about talking about reband Salt in the wound. He received four years office sentence for educational pursuits. He got a college education. You know who paid for that. The taxpayers paid for that. We paid for him to get four years knocked off his sentence. So instead of sixty years, which is what the court gave him, a six C extu excuted sentence, ends up actually doing twenty six years for that horrible crime where a viciously murderer's wife and then the headitor. That's not right, but that was the law, and that was the most justice we were able to get for the family. Absolutely, I tell you I did even in the court I did get even in the courtroom with him a little bit. He didn't testify in the trial. Of course, probably it wouldn't have helped him if he had. But he was allowed to what's called allocute. I mean, you're not defenders, not under oath, but he can ask the judge for leniency and he can express his feelings about the case. Well he did that. First. He told the family, Uh, you know, I'm sorry for your loss. He said, I've shed my share tears too. No, I'm not guilted, but a huge miscarriage of justice here. He says, the prosecutor bought and paid for witnesses in this case, and I'm going to fight this forever to get this this conviction overturned. And he looked at me when he said that about buying and paying for witnesses and using perjure testimony. I wasn't allowed under the law to ask him any questions, but when he finished, I just raised my hand and the judge said, yes, mister Salis, I said, I want to ask him one question. And even though she looked at me skeptically. She said, okay, one. Well, I stood up, I pounded on the table, looking straight in the eyes, and I said, where's Cindy's head? Man? I talk about a pin drop moment that that courtroom was silent for a couple of minutes except for his two screechy little lawyers say, how we object? We obviously object, and judge sustained their objection, which means, you know, I was out of luck getting an answer. But I stood there and waited and it took a while, but the eventually said, you're asking the wrong man, sir. And by that time I don't think that anybody in the court room had any question about it Guild at that point, but I just I had to do that. I had to ask him that question. Yeah.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, It's an incredible book, and you talk. You take us right into every aspect of the investigation, into Cindy and their friends' lives, into the trial itself and this successful prosecution that you were able to secure for this murderer. I want to thank you very much, Larry Seals and Margie Porter. I know this is a wild blue press release. Margie, can you tell us how people might find out more about this book as their website Facebook page.
Speaker 3: Tell us about that please.
Speaker 9: There is a website for Wild Blue Press, and I will tell you I have been reading a number of their books, and I'm very very impressed with the quality of their authors, so I'm quite honored to be working with them. It's also available to Amazon, and I understand also Barnes and Noble online. So if you are a lover of true crime or even just a lover of people, because it is a very inspiring story, that's where you'll find it. We're also on Facebook, yes I don't know.
Speaker 8: Thank you very much, Larry Seals and Margie Porter. It's been fascinating. Congratulations on Race to Justice. You have a very good evening. Thank you both very much.
Speaker 9: Thank you Dan, Thank you Dan.
Speaker 8: Good night, Aye bye.
Speaker 3: Margin