Speaker 1: Barness to Well, it's the morning after July fourth, Yes, do you do anything fun for Independence Day? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I went. I've talked about this a few times. But out here in Los Angeles at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery, they show movies on the weekends and they're big events where you you know, you show up with a blanket and lawn chairs and a picnic basket and you just stick your spot out on this lawn. And yesterday they showed Jurassic Park and after that they had a fireworks show and man, just the best, just I truly. It's run by a company called Sinespia. So if people want are in the area or they're visiting the area and they want to check this out, google Sinespia and you can find a schedule and where to get tickets. But this is just become one of my absolute favorite things to do out here. You know, to get a good spot, it helps to get there early, right, so but that can be part of the fun. Like there's a sidewalk on one of the side streets and has this really tall wall with ivy so you're blocked from the sun and you just set up your chair with your friends and it's just a whole line of people sitting out there just playing games and snacking and enjoying some drinks and just chilling out for maybe two hours while you wait, and then they let you in and you get your spots, and then there's food trucks and they have like a photo booth. But this one for Jurassic Park, it was amazing. They had an animatronic dinosaur that moved. Wow, So like, yeah, you got to you know, this whole tableau and you pose with it. And then they had like a dinosaur that actually moved and opened its mouth and moved its arms. It was pretty amazing. And then of course, I mean, what a perfect movie for like a huge group of people, and there's people families, people brought their kids and and like we were noticing everybody was in great spirits, like everybody was really friendly. You know, it is a lawn situation with a bunch of blankets and you know, you got your little square, which means people are going to have to cross over your area to get to their areas and stuff that everybody was being so noticeably polite last night, Like one guy accidentally kicked the blanket up at one point, he's like, oh, oh, I'm sorry, like came and like fixed our blanket, like that's fine, you know, and then people taking their shoes off before they were walking on our blanket, like trust me, it's fine. It's on the ground, you know. And just a really friendly community like feel, which is not always easy to experience in this city, you know. So it's an event I really love. And also the Fourth of July for me, I don't know about for you, and I know everyone experiences it differently, but this used to be like my second favorite holiday growing up. It was like Christmas. You know, You've got all the music and the lights and the trees and family and it's a big sort of thing. But then the Fourth of July we used to in my town. I grew up in Wheaton, Illinois, and they would have a parade every year, and so I just that was the tradition. Fourth of July. Family, We take the lawn chairs, we go out and we watch this parade and you know, they have fire trucks and parade floats and at a couple of years I remember they had like Bob Dole was there. Barack Obama walked in it one year. Like it's for this small town. It's kind of crazy the figures they've gotten to appear in this parade. But even when I got older and my family was not like, oh we don't we may not go this year, I would still rally my friends. In my early twenties, I was like, no, like Fourth of July, we go to the parade, you know, And and then I always go to the DuPage County Fairgrounds to go watch the fireworks. And then as you get older, you know, people are traveling or they have plans with a people or whatever, and it becomes a little less of a big group event, which is always like oh bummer, you know, like I used to think of this as like a get together holiday. Yeah, and so yeah, I really enjoyed yesterday. It was really special, like being there and watching a great movie. And then it was amazing because you know, they advertised they were going to have fireworks. But as the movie's ending and they're in the helicopter and Sam Neil's watching the birds, you know, it's kind of a gentle moment. And then it says, directed by Steven Spielberg last night, it's that gentle moment. And I was waiting for that credit but instead it was like boom, this firework just went off and they didn't even play the credits and then just do do douche like right in your face. Wow, I mean they're happening right over us. And yeah, it was. It was magical. It was it was really really fun. And also, you know, what can we say about Jurassic Park at this point? I mean, it's I never get tired of it. It's amazing watching it big again and still going, holy crap, it's thirty years later and these effects are insane, you know. So I mean the blend between the animatronics and the CGI. I mean, aside from like two or three scenes, which is completely forgivable because this is like one of the first times they employed that kind of thing. It's remarkable. It just totally holds up. So it was a blast. I really feel like, oh, that felt like a special event, and the fourth felt special again.
Speaker 1: So at this point, how many times have you seen Jurassic Park on a big screen?
Speaker 2: A big screen? I know, I saw this is the movie I've seen most in the theater. I think I saw it eight times when it originally came out. Nice, Yeah, I remember, you know, doesn't that also speak to the fact that movies a twelve year old could get on his bike and pay for a movie ticket and not have it break his piggy bank. You know, see it times. I mean now it'd be like, do I have twenty two dollars you know to see this? But I remember my brother and I saw it maybe five times or something, and then when it went to the second run theaters, which used to be a dollar fifty, I were like, oh bullseye, Like, now we can watch it over and over, so eight times. I know, I saw one of the re releases.
Speaker 1: What second run theater?
Speaker 2: Did you go to the Wheaton Theater? The Wheaton Theater, Yeah, it's yeah, it was just downtown Wheaton that had four screens. I remember seeing the Rocketeer there. I mean all sorts of stuff. Oh I think, I know.
Speaker 1: I never attended that, but I think I know what you're talking about. It was like an old timey theater.
Speaker 2: Yes, it looks old school. And actually that's where I saw my.
Speaker 1: Very first last Action hero style theater.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean not as big, but yes, with that vibe. Yeah, and that's my mom took me to see Et there. That was the first movie I ever saw in the theater. I saw Back to the Future there. I think that was the third movie I ever saw, so a lot of history of that place. But yeah, I'm just gonna guess. I'm not going to drag everybody through me doing the exact math. Maybe ten or eleven times, probably eleven at least eleven, I guess. Yeah. Yeah, that is kind of crazy, isn't it. Yeah yeah, so well you well, how about you?
Speaker 1: What do you think with regard to like, how many times park? Yeah, oh gosh, not as many as you. I saw it twice in its first run, actually twice during its initial release, but in second run, okay, I went to the it was the I think it's called Westgate right off of fifty three in North Avenue.
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean, I know fifty three. I'm not sure I remember the theater, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's what I think. That's what is called any Northgate that was it was called Northgate, Okay. And then I saw it, you know, for the twentieth re release in twenty thirteen. Yeah, so four times total because I saw the symphony to the performance. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, so four times total.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I remember the re release that was three D, right, yeah, which was pretty good.
Speaker 1: If I remember right, It was a good conversion. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then I remember I saw it the Hollywood Bowl once where they did the score, so yeah, and then last night, so yeah, Well it's I think.
Speaker 1: To your point about why that movie retains its mystique, it's because it has been this multi generational touchdown. Right, We're talking about thirty three years now since it came out, and it truly is this thing that's just passed from from one one cadre to the next, and everybody shares it, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So you know I talked about the three D re release, Well I took comes out of that. He was six, right, and I know that that's going to be an experience as with his kids. You know, Yeah, that's just etched in, you know. I while we're talking about sort of shared experiences. It's funny because normally on July fourth, it had been our routine that we watched Independence Day together, and yesterday it just didn't happen. And and you know, I'm and I was like, you know what, we didn't we didn't watch it. And I was like, well, I think Family Movie Night might be over, Like really like everybody watching together because everybody's just off doing their own thing.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was like, I think I think it's done, you know, and it's a little it's a little sad because you're like, no, this is just going to be what we do. But I'm like, we had like a ten year run, yeah, ten to twelve years whatever, and now it's like I watch this with whoever's here kind of thing. You know. Anyway, that made me a little sad.
Speaker 2: I was going to ask because I can imagine how that makes you feel an omina, I imagine. But for the younger kids, do they have that feeling like, well, why aren't the older ones here like you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Or do they just at this point they're just kind of used to it, you know. Yeah, yeah, so I still like, I you know, I went through the Dark Knight trilogy a couple of weeks ago with with my younger ones, and I'm kind of like, Okay, well it's it's this group. Now they get to have these experiences, you know, and then the baby he just turned two, he's going to have his own experiences, you know. Yeah, but like this literally because we did our Independence Day resurgence commentary track, It was not fun watching that movie for you and I, you know, and so literally I was like, well I I want to watch Independence Day, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So this morning I woke up, I just put it on. I'm like, no, I need a chaser. Yeah, And then you know, like too of my kids ended up watching it with me.
Speaker 2: Oh that's nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's funny. My daughter who isn't very familiar with but my oldest he's he always watches it. But he's like, oh I got to watch an a Penes State. You know. So it's nice to have those touchstones, but you realize is that they're less and less you know, yeah, you know, you know, I don't know, like Home Alone for example. Right, it's for me. The fun is this is the thing that we do every year and we get to re experience it. And some of the kids are like, well, I've seen it already, don't feel like watching it again. And you know, I think that's just you have different relationships with film in that way, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I can understand that, you know. Speaking of that, so my friend yesterday who loves movies, but she's not as immersed in them as we are. So I said, because we were like, oh, this is the perfect event for the fourth of July. We go see Jurassic Park and I was like, man, how many times do you think you've seen this movie? And she's like, maybe not since the nineties, And I was like what really, She's like, maybe not since the theater. I was like, you're wow, since you were like when you were like thirteen, you know. And I was like, wow, fascinating. And then I said, can you believe there's seven of them? And she's like what, wow, yeah, And I was like, oh, that's fat. You know. I sort of take for granted that a lot of people in my life are sort of following the same sorts of entertainment, you know, news, and you know, you and I talking about all this stuff. But I was like, oh, yeah, well there's this one and then this one, and this one's not so good, but this one's like that's not so bad, and you know, like, yeah, there's one out two years ago with Scarlett Johansson and you know, right. So then I was like, I can't wait to talk about this with you when it's over. I mean, you know, you if you haven't sort of aged with it throughout the years. Does it seem stark? You know, the effects, But that was the main thing she said. She's like, I can't believe how good those dinosaurs still look so right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that just from what you're describing, you realize like it's I mean, this is our lane. Yeah right, and you know, to me, it's no different than you know, people who are super into a band. Yeah, and you might be like, oh, I like that one song they did, you know, you know, twenty years ago, right, and they'll be like, yeah, there's been like four albums since then. You're like, what totally Like, I mean, it's all it's a good gut shake, be like, oh yeah, this is like we're weird. Like we're the ones who are like next up Balbo Station and we know what movie that is. Let's admit that's weird, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know we've got our passions. They got theirs. I mean that's the nice thing is when we're interested in other people's passions, we can we can share ours, they can share theirs and find the things that will connect with we would might not have found otherwise.
Speaker 1: Well, well, I know one of your passions is Terminator to Judgment Day, which is as of this weekend, thirty five years old. It can run for president.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wow, yeah, yeah. It's just if you were to just if I wasn't thinking about years and you just said, quick, how old do you think that movie is, I wouldn't know, Like it's just alwaysless it's eight. Well, yeah, it's always been there for me. It's never been something that I've skipped for a couple of years and come back to it. I've just always been there. And yeah, it looks still ageless. Yes, it's so it's you know, some movies you're like, oh, that looks like nineteen eighty seven, you know, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: And I was thinking about it because it was on Pluto, and so I stopped on it as I wont to do, and I was like, look, there's a lot of movies I love, but why is why does this movie just resonate so deeply with me?
Speaker 1: Like more very funny because sorry, I don't mean no please, but I mean I was seeing some of the posts about it being you know, I saw Robert Patrick put a little video about it, and it just took me back to being eleven and being obsessed with it and kind of the same thing where I'm like, what didn't like in the abstract? That's so strange that you still feel that way certainly that but even like the passion I had for it back then.
Speaker 2: Oh sure, sure for.
Speaker 1: This R rated sequel. You know it's but it just plugged in at the exact moment and then, yeah, I mean it's it's I mean, I mean again, it's kind of the same. Like how many times have I seen T two since nineteen.
Speaker 2: Ninety one, I don't even know, you know, Yeah, and.
Speaker 1: It's still magical, it's still has has so much to say, but it's weird. How like I when I think back, I'm like, I want, you know, the Kenner had the action figured toy line, and I wanted all of those, and I wanted the trading cars just everything. I mean, it was for me at least comparable to Batmania in eighty nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the trading cars, I had those two.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Anyway, So I didn't mean to interrupt you, No, not at all.
Speaker 2: I mean basically you you we share the same sort of feelings and thoughts and memories about it because it is strange. I mean, yes, like you said, it's this R rated Arnold Swarzenegger action movie, but somehow it transcended that. Yeah, And I even saw a comic as recently as this week where it was sort of joking about the fact that it's like, well, well boy, you're six. Time to show your terminator too, like.
Speaker 1: Which is that's basically what happened with my son, you know, Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's it it. It kind of just isn't that like RoboCop or whatever. It's like, no, somehow, I yes, this is R rated and it has some intense moments and stuff, but it just it feels bigger than that, maybe because like what you said, I mean, it is a thoughtful story, and it has these great characters, and it has this amazing action that just somehow remains timeless, you know, and so well. And I was trying to think, like, again, there are movies that I love that are as old and I still like to rewatch it, But why do I feel so passionately about this one? And I realized it's in that rare space for me where somehow, in my mid forties, it still feels as magical as it did to me when I was eleven, and not every movie can sustain that. This movie still feels as powerfully magical to me now, and not many movies feel that way. Like I don't think about there's a boom operator standing off camera like I might with some other movies. This is a movie I can still lose myself in, you know, Star Wars, this et Indiana Jones, Terminator too like it. If I stop and think about it, I might think about nuts and bolts. But otherwise, unlike some other movies, I can still be eleven again and watch it like an eleven year old, and that's rare.
Speaker 1: Well, and if I can, if I can paint a contrast, I mean, you know, earlier this year we did our commentary for The Mummy Returns, and that's ten years after T two, right, And yet I would say, even though The Mummy Returns is set in the thirties, it looks like a two thousand and one movie. Yeah, right, Like I'm not saying that's good or bad.
Speaker 2: No, it just does just.
Speaker 1: As a as a quantitative takeaway, you know, based on the effects and everything, You're like, this is two thousand and one. Whereas to your point, like T two, I mean, it truly is timeless, despite the fact that it's very I mean, you can tell it's it's set in the nineties. Sure, yeah, and yet yeah, you know, I think I think I wonder, well, two parts. I wonder if it is a little bit like like with us when we watched Spielberg well, where he just imprinted on us, yes, right, and James Cameron in much the same way, where we're like, well, this is how you make movies.
Speaker 2: This is what movies are supposed to look.
Speaker 1: Like, exactly. Yeah, So I want there is probably a little bit of that, but I mean, you look, it's thirty five years later. People still watch Terminator two. You kids still watch Terminator two, you know.
Speaker 2: And it's interesting to me looking at Jurassic Park last night, which I know recently it was a new scan was done four K and I'm almost certain that's what they showed last night, and I was like, this movie looks stunning. Just you know, even movies that have been restored in whatever from certain years, maybe seventy eight or eighty four or something, they still kind of look like eighty four and they still look like but like Jurassic Park last night looked like it could have been made this year. Yeah, which is incredible. And I know there's some you know, digital Wizardry probably at play helping that. But and Terminator too, to me, still looks yeah, just as sharp and crisp and fresh as ever.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, honestly, I would say the first two Jurassics, the Spielberg ones are the most timeless looking, I think, you know. But yeah, so I do think, you know. I think it goes to the fact that that Spielberg and Cameron are sort of our movie mom and dad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I have to consider that too for sure. Yeah, yeah, I'd like I don't feel like I'm speaking for the world right now, but speaking for myself and me, you know, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 1: So the takeaway it's been thirty five years, but hey, if you haven't seen Teeth two, you got a good movie waiting for you.
Speaker 2: There you go, There you go, well one movie.
Speaker 1: I thought this was a conversation worth having, especially in light of our last episode where we talked about Supergirl. This one may not end up being timeless. I don't know, kind of wait and see what Supergirl not doing too great at the box office. I was just looking at Scott Mendelssohn does his box office analysis, and he says that for its second weekend we're looking at eight point eight million domestic. Yeah, so that's a drop of seventy six percent and about fifty seven point six million after ten days. This is domestic.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Wow. So that's just to put that in perspective. That's after ten days. That's what Superman last year earned in its opening day, right, right, right. So naturally, I think you and I both were like, well, the post mortems are going to be coming fast and furious. I think we were like kind of waiting for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they did that. You know, we've talked about this where in this day and age, when something like this happens, just give it a week or so and then there'll be this tell all Hollywood Reporter article, you know, where people are chiming in and giving what they know about what happened behind the scenes, just trying to figure out what went wrong. Did you read this article?
Speaker 1: I did. Yeah, So this is a furious round of manic finger pointing. Yeah, a whole bunch of anonymous sources talking to the Hollywood Reporter. Mm hmm, Well, what's your take on this? A broad overview of what the piece is saying, and then let's see if we can parse some of it.
Speaker 2: You know, it feels before we get into the nitty gritty of it, it feels about right. It just sounds like there was a lot of opinions, a lot of different cuts, you know, having multiple test screenings to try to get numbers up. And that feels about right to me, because my problem with the movie was you had great source material, right, so it just to me it was a no brainer, like you had the story, but for some reason they messed with it, you know, Like the graphic novel, the character Ruthie is a major character, and she has a very specific personality. She's very plucky but also out of her depth and she has a lot of growing to do and a lot of hate in her heart, and it's really about her and Supergirl is this sort of mentor figure that helps her grow into the you know, the person who can let hate out of their hearts. It was a really powerful story and said a lot of interesting things about Supergirl and without We don't have to get into spoilers, but it has an ending that I really liked, and the movie changed that ending and I didn't think that ending made any sense. So you're like, how does that happen? Like, why does it feel so confused with itself. Why does it not contain things that I know worked in this story as it originated. And then it just felt like, well, it must have been meddling, like tinkering. Well maybe we could tweak this, maybe if we tried this instead, And then it just becomes this sort of imperfect object, right that just has band aids all over it. And that seems like, according to this article, basically what happened, right, I mean, apparently as soon as the movie was cut together, you know, a director's cut from Craig Gillespie, they were like, Okay, this doesn't work right, so we need to figure this out. And after some test screenings, after some tinkering, it kind of became Gillespie versus the studio, right to the point where they had competing cuts. The studio had their cut of the movie they wanted to test, and they had Gillespie's version that they wanted to test. Hey, this is Brian and that was a preview of a bonus conversation Zachi and I just dropped over on our Patreon feed, And that was only half of it. If you want to hear the the rest of it, head over to Patreon dot com slash moviefilm podcast, where you'll find a special feed that features all of our commentaries, all of our episodes absolutely ad free, and you'll also find bonus conversations like this that we drop about twice a month. So if you want the best listening experience possible, no ads or interruptions butting into the conversation, and you want to enjoy bonus conversations like this, head over to patreon dot com slash moviefilm podcast and for only five dollars a month you can receive all that if you subscribe today