Speaker 1: With Laurent's segele End from London and Gerard Reed from Berlin.
Speaker 2: This is redefining.
Speaker 3: Energy today on reallyferring energy job. We're going to Texas, we sure are.
Speaker 2: It is definitely how would I describe it, Well, it's definitely the capital of energy in the Western world. That's why I describe it as And I don't get all forms of energy.
Speaker 3: Right, but first of the world.
Speaker 4: From my partner, A b Loco Energy is Europe's premier leaser of ten foot container mobile batteries built in Europe with COTL best LFP cells. A Bloco Energy serves fourteen European countries, including France, Germany and the UK. A Bloco's batteries can be leased for any duration between six weeks and six years, and they are monitored by the Dutch award winning platform school a Bloco Energy. Make your life easier, make your business.
Speaker 5: More flexible, you show you name it, it's there, and then add to that all whole part of AI companies and yeah, they're at the forefront of everything to do with innovation and energy, right, so we need to talk about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and what's absolutely crazy is the coass of honorables because if you look five years ago and I'm talking in gigawatt wind solar batteries. Okay, so five years ago we're twenty five five and one. Two years ago thirty five, twenty and five, and now we've got forty gig of Win, forty gig of SOLA, and twenty GIGAF batteries. Absolutely mind blows, its mind blowing.
Speaker 4: You're absolutely right, absolutely, So it's we have to look at Texas, right.
Speaker 3: So we're bringing in a Texas girl on the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we sure are. We're bringing in a Rushi Shama Frank.
Speaker 4: She really is a strategy builder and I would say mentor to AI and energy companies. She's highly knowledgeable and has been in the space for quite a while, and so it's great to have her on.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: I think she was formally with if I remember Crackly, she was more formily with Tesla as well.
Speaker 2: Brittiant.
Speaker 3: Look, she's a lot of fun and of course, something I'm doing my lawn. So sometimes I'm trying to be the smartass and I pull out a lot of statistic just before the interview, and of course I I cut the wrong stuts. So at some point I said the load factor of the ccigts in Texas is thirty two percent. That is not true. It's plain wrong. It's blame it on TJIPT because the road factor is forty five percent. Yeah okay, yeah, yeah yeah, So I draw a lot of conclusion based on the wrong STATISTICKS.
Speaker 2: The should putting your hand up and admitting your mistake.
Speaker 3: That's good. Yeah, okay, let's bring Aarushi on the show. Exactly A Rushie. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thrilled to be here, Rushie.
Speaker 6: Maybe I could just kick off with just if I look from the outside and I look at US energy policy. For me, it's all about it's trial drill, right, But if I look at Texas, it seems to be much more intelligent and that's cheap.
Speaker 2: Bybe cheap, every energy just has to be cheap. Is that a fair way of sort of looking at Texas?
Speaker 1: Yes, I think it is s dierrard with the caveat that when you say energy is cheap, you need to factor in the infrastructure cost, what it takes to deliver the energy, and the energy itself on the cheap power side. You know, I I'm really fascinating is that I can have a great conversation with somebody who wants to come to Texas because of cheap industrial power, and they know that in a given winter season, the cost of power itself, the commodity cost of energy, kill A what hours is like six cents in Texas, it's about eight cents Nationally, it's like fifteen fourteen in California, seven to eight in New York. So there's this idea that, oh, it's just this standalone price that's like a cost edge. But the big things that I really want to get into with you guys is what is the delivery cost stuff? And like the funky cool stuff about the Texas market that enables that cost Because I KILLO what cost hour is not in a vacuum. It is definitely cheaper power than everywhere in the US. And that's attractive for all sorts of reasons.
Speaker 3: Oh she I like to take a step back. Sure, and it's cheap power now, but you know it was not always the case. And if I look back twenty years ago, which I mean, you're young, so maybe for you it's his story, but for us as memory, twenty years ago, the average price of power in Texas was sixty two dollars make it what hour. If we inflate it, that would be one hundred dollar and make it what our today. Okay, yeah, and of course today it's twenty seven, so the price is four times less than inflation criteria. And number one and by the way, if you look at pgm, PGM was cheaper than Texas twenty years ago and now it's more expensive. But if you look at the growth, the growth of power, it's phenomenal. Because overall in the US demand has been flat. But if you concentrate on Texas twenty years ago, it was three hundred hour and now it's four hundred and seventy and you know it's expected to continue to grow. So this is the only place in America where there's been a growth of demand and we're talking more than fifty percent in twenty years. We'll go in the detail of why and where new sources or you know, conservative that's all when i'm find But for me, that's the characteristic of Texas. It has been an area of incredible growth load and an area where the prices are much much cheaper than they used to be.
Speaker 1: Prices are cheaper and also all around, on top of that, the avoidance of infrastructure cost on your power bill, meaning what you pay for demand for the commercial and industrial class is much cheaper. There's no other market in the country where an industrial customer can curtail or run on site chen or use demand response assets where they can cut their annual transmission bill by twenty five to forty percent. And your overall power bill annualized over a year is set by your peak demand, and the way that the transmission system is built is set by the states or the grid's peak demand. So today in Texas, the peak demand that eighty plus gig number for today expected to double, right, just crazy, But that gets set by residential load, not by industrial load. Meanwhile, the residential customers in Texas pay coincident peak prices when they pay their power bill. However, the commercial and industrial folks get to benefit from a four coincident peak regime and therefore a transmission cost. If you can curtail the right for summer hours, essentially you can dodge most of the transmission charges, which is millions of dollars a year. There's other cool stuff too about Texas that makes it such a unique and fascinating market to enable what you're calling this growth in power consumption, and on the other side of it, the obvious economies of scale, All of that kind of like stems down into these key constructs.
Speaker 3: That grows fifty percent, which today make Texas consume more power than fronts despite having only half of the population. If you look at what has been the source of this additional general ration, it has been with solar and now of course batteries, and that is more than ninety percent of the additional load came from vulnerable And yes there's more gas production, but it's almost compensated by the diminishing of coal and nuclearized by a large flat. So really what that means is that Texas has become a vulnerable power state, And of course I understand that the Pacifical lobby is not very happy about that, especially considering the fact that if you look at the load factors of CCGTIS twenty years ago was forty five percent and last year it was only thirty two percent. So yeah, so they're not making any money. So of course they wanted to prevent them continue their growth, and of course it failed at the legislature, which is an excellent news. So is the future going to continue a bit like this? Like with a crazy amount of vulnerable or do you think gas can come back? What's your take on that?
Speaker 1: My soul will extend saying similar things about data centers and loads as well, is that we need to stop pretending and enforcing the narrative as technologists. We need to stop enforcing the narrative that in resource planning, meaning power planning, supply planning, markets should be modeled and forecasted and evaluated as equilibrams. We have to have tools for this process at solve for hourly demand and supply balancing, and we can't use tools that don't assume the volatility that is inherent in the system and don't value flexibility. You know, Lauren, I'm saying that because it is equally hard right now that investment is difficult. Equivalently, I think now in new gas as it is in new batteries, because the models are set up to solve for William straight and that's not what the market is in today. There's so many factors and interconnection, timing, supply of the turbines, timing for green field development, attainment versus non attainment, for environmental permitting. There's just like all of this over indexing, and it's just kind of bonkers.
Speaker 2: Wind and solar.
Speaker 1: The megawat hour base case for l COE for wind and solar is still like sixty bucks to megawatt hour for solar and like forty five for wind, and combined cycle is one hundred and thirty three bucks a megawatt hour. At the moment, that's nuts. I was like, all right, what's going on there? I mean, you know, the obvious answer I think there that one of the non market solves more for regulatory solve for more gas in Texas is the behind the meter co location benefit of CCGT with data center load a large load as they call it, seventy five megawatts or bigger. So going back to wind and solar, you know, the motivation for wind and solar anywhere is typically project finance and PPA with some part of the risk of what the plant can earn over its lifetime in a market construct. In Texas, we have an engine in this energy market that every five minutes, using secured economic dispatch as a tool, solves for transmission constraints. And then we also have this connect and managed ie. Every new developer of every new project isn't paying a carefully tooled cost causation contribution to building the transmission grid. And between those two things, what you get is a way for wind and solar to come onto the system and optimize the risk of curtailment, meaning how much they can make in the markets against ppa risk, which of course you can secure by actually having contracts in place to sell off the value of your portfolio. And that portfolio is more of the greenness of the portfolio than it is the windplant itself or the solar plant itself. Between those two things, I don't think cheap capital is lining up for anything other than renewables.
Speaker 6: Ruschi just again outside inview as this is as Europeans looking, and we look at Texas and it sort of reminds us of home. And what I mean by that is you've got a liberalized mark, You've separated the retailer from the grid from the generator, and you've also got this power market there that again is very similar to Europe.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 6: Can you talk a little bit about that, just so that listeners understand what the text is what makes the Texas market very special in the US.
Speaker 1: Yes, Texas in most of the state is under one grid operator, and that's very different than the rest of the country. So there's one entity that's over all of the poles and wires and power plants, and so there's the singularity inside which you as a consumer of power, you have the choice to choose where your power comes from, as in who you're buying it from, and that also means you have a lot more creativity in deciding as a consumer what kind of power you want. Do you want green power, do you not care? Do you just want the cheapest power? Do you have solar in a battery on your roof? When you want to be in a very special plan. Test the electric is an example of that kind of plan. And that's so different from the rest of the country because in the rest of the country, we really have one or two default choices for where to go get your power. And that's reflected on the other side too, for the folks who are building the power plants. To your point, the liberalized nature of Texas means that you can just choose to go in or coup. You can go inside that space and basically just choose to cite the plant wherever you want to put it. Yeah, there's always going to be admin and other things you have to do, and you've got to work with the local landowners and all those things. But it really is the pick your bet and then go and fulfill it, which is absolutely not how the rest of the country works, where you have very large utilities or maybe even very small utilities that essentially have Fiat authority around what you can do to cite your plant and bring it to the market, and Fiat authority on the other side too, which is as a consumer, who I can get my power from?
Speaker 6: Can I also sort of add to that Again, this is a perception is that in Texas you just seem to get things done much quicker than everywhere else, Right, is that the case?
Speaker 1: It is the getting things done quicker piece for both consumers and power plants is super interesting. For consumers if I, you know, you and I are on on like some power company plan that says, oh, you know, our bill is twelve kilowatts or whatever, and we're going to pay whatever we're going to pay for it, and we're not happy with our power usage versus how we're getting built under that plan everywhere else in the country retard. It can take either I can to move off of it, or it can take months of hassle for me to actually get reassigned if I am in a place that has some choice to find a new provider, and it's so much work and there's so much transition cost where the customer it's just not worth it. You know. In Texas, they're back end systems between the folks that run the big grid and the people in their homes who have their little electric meter on their house. Is so easy, the system is so well integrated. But I can switch tomorrow, I can switch within the hour, in a day. This is switchability where consumers can just decide, Nope, I'm not into this anymore. I will cancel my contract. And yes there may be penalties around early cancelation. Whatever I want to do my own thing. That is is completely unique. There's this really cool R Street publication on grading choice that came out our Street Institute in Washington, and they gave Texas an A minus on the report card and that's the best in the state. And after that, there's nothing else that has an A in the country. Ah.
Speaker 3: She When you're at Tesla, you've been instrumental in developing the old VPP and battery universe. Okay, Tesla probably is the most known name, but the growth of the battery in Texas in the past three or four years has been nothing but exceptionally so. Probably it's also in the aftermath of Yuri and the fact that nothing that was supposed to work worked. How do you see the incredible growth in the batteries and vvps we've seen in Texas compared to everywhere.
Speaker 1: Else with batteries. It's interesting. I think a battery is like a water cooler. The water cooler can be as big as you need for a party, but how fast you drain your water cooler depends on how many guests arrive at the party. When we think about batteries, there's this presumption in the rest of the US that, Okay, if this battery shows up, this water cooler shows up at my party, I'm going to end up draining it very very quickly. And in Texas, with a way that the economics of the market work, we actually drain that water cooler as if one guest is arriving every thirteen hours, meaning that the incremental value of sending power into the market to help solve four constraints in this very tight transparent energy market means that batteries, you can forecast the value of batteries to be a lot more of what batteries are good at, which is solving problems quickly. There's another side to that, Laurent, that is the opposite of solving problems quickly, and that is like the resiliency piece which you mentioned with winter storm ury, and that is on the residential side. People want batteries as economic security, as personal security, outage protection, and so for them, the way that I've seen the market for residential batteries evolve is not the version you see on the big grid. It's not the put systems that we know we can stretch out and earn a lot of money by fixing the markets problems in these quick intervals of time. It's the opposite problem. It's we want the battery in our house for resiliency. So that's why batteries on residential homes in Texas are getting bigger, and also people are getting smarter in how they use that battery in their choice world where you can choose which type of power provider you have to be able to optimize your battery, and when there is a power outage risk, your ability to conserve and habit insurance policy in your home is super important. You know Tesla's vision for VPP in Texas that I worked on implementation for from the work Tesla did first on VPP in Australia Australia BPP, then went California VPP next, and then Texas last.
Speaker 6: If I look really what text has done incredibly well. It's been able to obviously attract new industry to the state and also provide the energy that that those businesses need. And this is especially the case I see in the whole area of data centers. So I'd love to hear you're told in around data centers and AI and you know how you see that going forward.
Speaker 1: We're talking a lot today about what makes Texas different than the rest of the country. Another major feature of Texas is a place to put your data center. Is that it is far easier for you to put your generator or your insurance policy for your data center next door on the same plot of land with the same common connection to the big grid and another markets. In the US that's a lot harder because of how we actually pay for access to the grid between the consumer side and the power plant side. This word, by the way, is co location, which is pretty intuitive. Co location in Europe has been the result of countries like Ireland making a mandate I your grid, making a push to ensure that co location occurs. We're at a point at which new data centers can't show up without this co location existing. Across the rest of the US. We're in these strange, lightly litigious policy circles where everyone's trying to decide, like, oh, well, if the power plant and the data center are connect to each other, who's paying for what? How do we pay for it? And there's this incrementality that I talked about the beginning. In Texas, everyone is paying like when you get a stamp at the post office, you pay thirty two cents, just like the next guy behind you pay thirty two cents for that one stamp. That's how transmission or grid cost allocation works in Texas. And that complexity that we're simplifying here is like the thing that makes Texas so good for AI loads, And it's because there's the simplicity translates to the world of putting big power plants next two loads, and it'd being an easier time to get onto the grid without getting stuck in what you're hearing about in the news, which is that it takes like five years, seven years, ten years to get these big systems online and the rest of the country.
Speaker 3: Oh she As we come towards the end of this conversation, and of course team we took for hours. But a very simple question for you, which is pretty much what a lot of eye in Fasticto investors are asking us, is look, we see peakload going from saying ninety gigawat, which is already phenomenal, to one hundred and forty gigawatts in the convenios. Are you confident that the economics and the model will allow that blood growth in Texas?
Speaker 1: No, of course not, Laurent. If we have that kind of load growth where we assume that all of that load will be a firm meaning a twenty four to seven contributor to peak demand, we don't have any months left in the year for our power plants to take means, and if we can't maintain our power plants because in the year you're planning for consumption at peak for so many more days, for so much longer. At such a higher level, if you think about it like a mechanic with a toolbox, that person's job is to look at what's inside the toolbox and make sure that there are enough tools in there to fix all the problems that are coming. So the number of tools you have to go and make sure your power plant fleetworks are constrained, but the number of tools need to have to maintain the system to do its job as being reliable and there being enough power plant generation available to serve all of this peak load. You talked about URI, and in URI, one of the things that came out of that is weatherization, meaning making power plants more weather resilient, which means you have to go out and maintain them. So this kind of adulterated load growth forecast or peak demand is like the direct opposite of what policymakers told Texas power Plans to do, which is be even more conservative with their maintenance of the power fleet. And mind you, the power fleet that needs the most support to have enough headroom on the system to go and do all their maintenance is gas Plans. So I think that there's no way we get to a world in five ten years where we're looking at everything as peak demand contribution flexibility for both load and flexibility for the power plants making sure they can use the big grid and those non peak, non constrained windows is massively important because it solves this problem.
Speaker 3: When I was she thank you so much for coming on the show. There's clearly something happening in Texas and you're on top of it. Also, we want to sell you to do live in because remarkable and much more granular expert of what's going on there. So thank you very much.
Speaker 1: I'm delighted to be here. Thank you, path, thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Look, it's absolutely phenomenon. And what I think people don't realize is that also the all regulation works better. The regulators they regulate less, but they're smarter. And recently I've been looking even into stuff like demand response. Well, you know what, the demand response program in Texas is better than California and other states. So those people are just good when it comes to energally take good.
Speaker 2: Which is probably the reason why they basically from an energy point of view, stay independent or e rest of the United States, Right, I mean that's the reality. Ever, they've got low cost energy, and they can build things really quickly, and they can be really innovative.
Speaker 4: And then you look at the rest of the US and they've got federal regulators and just called local regulators and bureaucracy everywhere.
Speaker 2: The Texans just cult through it all.
Speaker 3: Right, there's a lot of places around the world which are blessed with a lot of resources, but it's not because you have resources. Yeah, I mean, look, I remember this a great quote from quite some time ago, and they asked the CEO of Excellent, what's the best company to manage? And you say, oh, yeah, the best companies in the world are well managed oil companies. And then he said, and then the second one will poorly manage oil companies. It's not because you're endowed these resources that you're not going to squander them. And the Texans have been extremely good at managing innovation. So I said to all regulators in the world, I know you like to write a lot of paper. I know you love to write six hundred pages regulation, but sometimes sometimes go to Texas and see what is going on and see.
Speaker 2: What works common sense and economics, that's what works.
Speaker 3: Okay, job, It was a great conversation with Thank Arushi and talk to you next week.
Speaker 2: Looking forward to it.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Redefining Energy.
Speaker 2: Don't forget to rate the show and subscribe on Apple Podcast Spotify or the platform of your choice.