Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County KFI Radio.
Speaker 2: This is Mission Control Houston. Please call station for a voice check.
Speaker 3: Station.
Speaker 1: This is Amy King with kfi's wake up Call.
Speaker 3: How do you hear me?
Speaker 4: I can hear you loud and clear. It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 5: And his name is Amy King. Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: This is.
Speaker 3: Good morning. It's five oh one. This is your wake up Hall four. What is today?
Speaker 1: It's Wednesday, November thirteenth.
Speaker 3: Why I was driving in this morning?
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, it's not even a super moon yet, but the moon was incredible. If you get a chance, step outside, take a look at it. It's absolutely beautiful. As driving west on the one thirty four towards the station, and the moon was just over the horizon and it was just ginormous, really pretty. Can't wait to see it when it's actually full. Also, I just heard that if you have election signs up in your yard, you got to get them down by Friday because you have ten days after the election to remove election signs. I didn't even know that was a thing, although I didn't see very many elections signs either way this time like in past elections. Oh well, and did you catch Jay Leno on Conway last night? It was very cool. He's got it posted on Instagram The Conway Show. You want to see Jay Leno and he's such a good friend to KFI.
Speaker 3: Of course it's Tim Conway Junior. So that was fun. Here's what's ahead on wake Up Call.
Speaker 1: A death certificate that has been made public says legendary Dodger pitcher Fernando Valenzuela died from septic shock. The document, obtained by TMC says two forms of cirrhosis contributed to his death on October twenty second. The document also indicated Valenzuela may have suffered from a rare brain disease. Fernando Valenzuela died just days before his sixty fourth birthday. Firefighters continue to gain ground in their battle against the wildfire that has burned more than twenty thousand acres in Camerio Moore Park and Somas. The fire is now fifty four percent surrounded. More than two hundred homes and other buildings burned to the ground. And the Santa Ana wind whipped fire. President Biden and President elect Trump will be sitting down together at the White House to talk policy as one prepares to take office the other prepares to leave. First, Lady Jill Biden invited Milania Trump to have tea at the White House, but Milania declined. We're planning to talk to Karen Travers about that in just a couple of minutes. But I gotta let you in on a little inside baseball. Our technical producer Cono, he blew out a tire on the way into the station, So right now it's.
Speaker 3: Technical producer producer an. She's doing a great job.
Speaker 1: So we'll see if we can keep the wheels on the bus and get everything to you this morning. But let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A fight has led to a shooting inside a Ralph's grocery store in Sun Valley. One person was killed last night. At least one other person is in the hospital. Police say the shooting may have been in self defense. Several people charged in connection with a pro Palestinian protests at uc Irvine are doing court in Santa Anna. The protesters were arrested in May when they surrounded the school's physical sciences lecture hall. The Council on American Islamic Relations and other activists are demanding prosecutors dropped the charges against fifty people arrested in the crackdown. They say the university and the Orange County DA's office share a history of silencing Palestinian voices. President elect Trump continues to roll out his choices for his foreign policy team. He tapped former Director of National Intelligence John Ratcliffe to lead the CIA, Arkansas Governor Mike Hoppet Huckabee as the US Ambassador to Israel, and Stephen Whitcoff to be a Special and Envoy to the Middle East. Trump also named Bill McGinley his Cabinet secretary in his first administration, at his as his White House counsel. President elect Trump's surprise defense officials by nominating Fox News host and Army veteran Pete Hegseth to serve as his defense secretary. ABC's John Santucci says Hegseeth is an Army National Guard captain.
Speaker 5: He is a combat veteran had multiple tours in Guantanamo Bay, Iraq, and Afghanistan, according to the Trump team, and received two Bronze Stars ours for his.
Speaker 1: Service, but he says Hegseth has never had such a leadership role and no government experience. Special Counsel Jack Smith and his team apparently planned to resign before President ele Like Trump takes office. Smith's office has been working on how to wind down its criminal cases against Trump because of the Justices Department position that it cannot charge a sitting president with a crime. Newsweek says Smith's office has spent at least fifty million dollars prosecuting Trump. Okay, we're going to try this. Are we going to be able to talk to Nick and get a first look at traffic? Got to ask technical producer, producer in you think we can do it? No, we can't get Nick right now. Okay, let's go right to Karen Travers. Then hold please Okay, if you're just joining us, kno blew out at tire.
Speaker 3: He's on his way.
Speaker 1: He'll be here at about five point fifteen, No, five point thirty, and Ann is trying to run the board right now and figure out how to bring up Karen Travers for us. Any luck, there's a phone pot I hear somebody running down the hall. Maybe do we Okay, how about this op. There's Rich he's gonna help. Okay, See, isn't this fun. We could give you more news right now while we're stalling, but it's more fun to do it this way. So Rich is now we have an engineer in here. It's live radio. It's going to be a great day, everybody, and again, thanks for starting your day with us.
Speaker 3: Maybe yours is going to be a little.
Speaker 1: Smoother than ours, but hey, you you roll with it, you run with it. And Rich is now examining the board, and there's Karen Travers.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Karen. I don't know if you can hear us talking about it. We were having like.
Speaker 4: A exciting anticipation to get on.
Speaker 3: I was very I know, She's like, just get me on, get me on the air. Okay, so great, let's let's go.
Speaker 1: Then the President and the next president have a sit down today at the White House.
Speaker 3: Tell us about it.
Speaker 4: Due eleven o'clock our time, they will sit down in the Oval Office, and you know it's going to be a highly anticipated meaning of course, we're going to be looking at for you know, all of the body language, what they say, how long the reporters are able to stay in the Oval office, do they take some questions. We'll see, But the White House says, you know that this is a chance for Americans to see an important part of the process when they talk about a peaceful transfer of power. Karine Jean Pierre said that the President will show in this meeting he cares about democracy and that he wants to show that the system works, that people should trust institutions and trust that norms do matter here, and that this is going to be an effective and smooth transition. They're very much sending a message, you know, to the American people that they're doing things differently than what happened four years ago when President Biden did not get an invitation like this. As President elect from the Trump administration, they want to do this differently. They want to show people that they are trying to set the next team up to hit the ground running and be successful. I went back and looked at twenty sixteen when President Obama invited then President elect Trump to the White House, and he said something like, you know, we want you to succeed because you your success is the country's success. And I think we're going to hear a similar sentiment today from Joe Biden.
Speaker 1: Okay, I hope so, I hope so and so, and I was sorry. I was yelling towards the ridge to see if we can get the traffic guy onmins just a second. Things are a little wonky here today. Did you say in twenty twenty, we know that obviously things were very tense. So in twenty twenty the Biden Trump meeting did happen or didn't they not?
Speaker 4: There was no meeting like this. I mean you think back of like where we were exactly four years ago. Donald Trump was questioning the election results. He was challenging in court the election results, so he was not ready to extend an invitation to President elect Joe Biden. And obviously he didn't even go to the inauguration. That whole transition period was not what we have seen in the past and very much out of the norm.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then First Lady Jill also invited Malania Trump to come have tea, but Malania said no, thank you.
Speaker 4: We know from the First Lady's office that an invitation was extended for her to come up to have a meeting in the White House. Sources in Florida close to the first lady tell us that she is not going to be making a trip today. We didn't see her on the plane leaving Florida as we saw the President elect leaving mar A Lago and coming up here. But they did not give a reason as to why she was not making the trip.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: So then after the meeting today, which is hopefully going to be a nice cordial here's what we've done.
Speaker 3: Here's what we're handing over to you.
Speaker 1: Are there other meetings between the president and the President elect before election day?
Speaker 3: Or is a suit? This is it?
Speaker 4: This will be it. I mean, there's nothing on the schedule. I don't anticipate anything being added. The next time would likely be on inauguration.
Speaker 1: Okay, and we'll be talking to you leading up to that. Karen Trivers, thanks for being patient with us today and thanks for coming on with us.
Speaker 3: No problem, all right, we'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A former La School District middle school teacher is pleaded not guilty to charges of having sex with a teenage boy who was one of her students. Prosecutors say the ex teacher at John Burrow's Middle School in Hancock Park had sex with the boy in her car and gave him cannabis. If she posts bonded, she'll have to wear a GPS tracker, but for now remains in jail. NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadenas expected to lay off about three hundred twenty five workers. JPL director Lori Leshen sent a memo to staff yesterday saying the decision was made in an effort to address what she called the dynamic funding environment for the Space Agency, which means they need money. All employees were told to work from home today and that the number of planned layoffs is lower than per acted a few months ago. The job cuts about effect about five percent of the workforce. The fired FEMA worker accused of telling staff to skip hurricane damaged homes that had Trump signs on them, claims it didn't just happen in Florida. She says she was just following FEMA protocol.
Speaker 6: This is not isolated.
Speaker 1: This is a colossal event of avoidance, not just in the state of Florida, but you will find avoidance in the Carolinas. Former FEMA supervisor Maren Marnie Washington told the Roland Martin Unfiltered newscast that she is being made a scapegoat. The former Massachusetts Air National Guard member who leaked classified information to friends in an online video game forum has been sentenced to fifteen years in prison. Jack to Chera pleaded guilty in March to six counts of transmitting national defense information and violating the Espionage Act.
Speaker 7: His actions compromise military plans, sources, and methods, and allowed our most significant adversaries access to some of our most closely guarded intelligence.
Speaker 1: FBI Special Agent in Charge Jody Cohen called to share a one of the most prolific leakers of classified information in American history. An explosion at a factory in Kentucky has killed two employees. Nearly a dozen people were hurt in the explosion yesterday at the plant known for producing color in soft drinks. Surgeon Jason Smith at the University of Louisville Hospital says they treated a range of injuries.
Speaker 8: There were a fair amount of burn injuries, a pretty significant amount of blast injuries as well from the penetrating and blunt injuries from the force of the explosion. As well as some crush injury for some debris had fallen on the paper.
Speaker 1: Some people had to be rescued. It's not yet known what chemicals were involved in the explosion. A pet squirrel named Peanut Yes You're familiar with Peanut by now taken from its owner and then euthanized in upstate New York, has tested negative for rabies. A raccoon, also taken in October, also euthanized and also to negative. When the New York Department of Environmental Conservation took the animals, the agency said it had received complaints that wildlife was being kept illegally and potentially unsafely. The man who had them says they were rescues in his animal sanctuary, and Peanut was very popular on social media. A Dodgers fan in LA says he was fired for calling in sick to be at the team's World Series victory parade. Somebody apparently saw him in the crowd Earlier this month. The fan posted on social media that they were fired for misconduct. The employer apparently had to shut down the store because there wasn't enough staff on the day of the parade. All eyes are going to be on Sofi Stadium when Joe Burrow and the Cincinnati Bengals visit Justin Herbert and the La Chargers this Sunday. On Sunday Night, football kickoff is at five point twenty. Limited tickets remain, so you can secure yours today at Chargers dot com, slash tickets and listen to the game on Alt ninety eight seven. Bolt up here. There's something that will get you excited. Maybe it'll get you charged this morning. We have a pair of tickets to the Chargers game on Sunday night. It's coming up on wake up call again. We do have a pair of tickets to give away between now and six o'clock. So keep it right here. Lots going on today, not only the chaos in the actual newsroom, but all around the world. Here's what we're following. La Mayor Bass and the city Attorney been working to speed up the release of a proposed sanctuary City ordinance to the city council. The City of La has prohibited the use of its resources from assisting federal immigration authorities in past years, but a sanctuary ordinance would formally codify these policies. Now that President Elect Trump has promised to start deporting illegal immigrants when he takes office. BFAA has barred US Airlines from flying to Haiti for thirty days after gangs shot and hit three planes. Bullets hit a Spirit Airlines plane on final approach into porta Prince Jet Blow and Americans said bullets also hit their planes as they left the airport. UNA has also suspended flights carrying humanitarian aid into the country. Santa Anna wind's been blowing through the Southland again. The National Weather Services Gusts up to fifty five miles per hour are expected in the canyons and passes today. The winds should die down tomorrow, but another Santa Anna wind event and potentially dangerous fire conditions are expected early next week. At six oh five, it's handle on the news. Bill's going to be talking about President elect Trump's visit to President Biden today. And now let's say good morning too, ABC's Geordanna Miller in Jerusalem. Good morning, Geordana, Hi am good to be with you.
Speaker 3: You too.
Speaker 1: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin nat Yahoo's warned that Iran or has warned Iran against attacking Israel again.
Speaker 3: What is he saying?
Speaker 6: That's right? The Prime Minister put out ostensibly a video message, he said was to the Iranian people, where he said it's a shame that the regime is investing in a war against Israel that he said they can't win, instead of investing in Iran and its people and its education. And he said he hopes one day that Israelis and Iranians can together build a more prosperous region. But in this seemingly kind of innocent message or or you know, diplomatic message to the people of Iran was a threat in it. And he said that if Iran attacks Israel, then Iran's economy will pay a heavy price. And that was, you know, it has been widely interpreted here in Israel as a veiled threat. Then Nataniel would go after Iran's oil fields and its energy sector what it did not do in its in the last Israeli reprisal strike. So you know, that was a way of really warning the which you know, in really since President Trump's election, we have not we have not heard the Iranians make overt threats of a strike against against Israel. But you know everyone here had been waiting for that strike. And we'll have to see. Perhaps the Iranians are rethinking their options in the face of Trump's election, and there are some initial reports in air media at least that Iran may wait and try to talk with the Trump White House and hold off on attack and another strike on Israel, which is good news.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, anytime there's less missiles and rockets flying, it's.
Speaker 3: A good thing.
Speaker 1: So then moving into Gaza, we're hearing from several AID groups that conditions are worse than ever. And this is the thirty days after the SOUS said Hey, Israel, you've got to get more AID in there or you're you know, you're putting our relationship at risk.
Speaker 6: A little bit, right, I mean, the US threatened to kind of arms embargo if Israel didn't dramatically boost AID into the Gaza Strip, and Israel was given thirty days to do so. Now, on the ground, Israel opened a couple new crossings into the Gaza Strip, one in the north, one in the center, and they also took away some of the red tape with getting AID in and brought ape directly into some of the areas in the far north of the Gaza Strip where there's been intense intense combat for weeks now, places like Jabalia and bit Lahia and Beate Lahune. It's really not enough. We haven't seen a huge jump to the numbers that the United States wanted to see, which was around three hundred trucks. Instead there's maybe one hundred trucks getting in a day to northern Gaza. But nonetheless, it seems that the steps Israel took were enough to convince the White House not to impose and arms embargo. But the United Nations and a lot of the aid organizations say the situation there is still so incredibly dire and that Israel really needs to do more because there's people that are they're not there's not famine, but they are a step away from starvation, and there's a lot of food insecurity, people who simply can't access food. So the situation in northern Gaza is still very very dire, but not bad enough where the US is going to take action against Israel.
Speaker 3: Okay and Geordana.
Speaker 1: As far as the AID trucks, you said that like one hundred are getting in a day, but they need like three times that many at least are the trucks just are they lined up and waiting or do they just not even head that direction because they don't have clear to get those trucks in, you know what I'm.
Speaker 6: Saying, right, So the humanitarian aid issue is a very complicated one. I mean, first you have the issue of supply getting the trucks into the Gaza Strip, which has been a challenge when crossings have been closed or the checking process of trucks has taken too long, right because there's a checking each truck. But then on the other side, once they're in the Gaza Strip, there's a huge problem of distribution, safely distributing the aid, getting the aid into the hands of people who need it. And at this stage, after a year of war, it is a very dangerous route from a border into central Gaza and all the way up to the north, there's looters, there's hamas is taking control of some of the aid. They're siphoning it, they're putting it in tunnels, they're creating warehouses and you know, putting armed men around the warehouses. So they're siphoning off some of it. And then sometimes you know, the UN is having problems even staffing people to bring the aid through the Gaza Strip because it's so dangerous, because it's so dangerous, because it's so dangerous. So Israel did open two crossings that for AID to go directly into the north. But remember there's intense combat there, right, Israel's been you know, for almost a month, a little more than a month, Israel relaunched a major ground offensive against Hamas in northern Gaza. So it's dangerous there. Yeah, And so it is, it's a complicated picture.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and what you mentioned looters.
Speaker 1: Are the looters Hamas because you mentioned looters and Hamas or are the looters just desperate Palestinians trying to get food?
Speaker 6: I mean there's there's really both. I mean Hamas is certainly, you know, they're the ones that have the arms, so they're the most dangerous looters. But there's other militant groups like Palestinian Islamic Jihads that operates in the Gaza Strip. There's gangs. Remember there's no real police force now in the Gaza Strip, and mainly because the police were affiliated and run by Hamas, and so Israel targeted the police in their war. Right, So you know, it is it is a desperate situation. The people of Gaza have paid really the heaviest and most tragic price in this war. I mean they have been on the move for a year. There's nowhere that's really safe, and they can't get out. There's nowhere to go unless you're one of the quote unquote lucky gosins. Maybe you have another passport, very few do. Maybe someone's sick with cancer and you can after waiting for months, you can get out. But otherwise you're trapped. You're trapped.
Speaker 1: And I hate to leave it there, but we kind of have to leave it there. But gosh, yeah it is. It's so sad. So but we'll keep watching it. We'll keep getting the information from you, and we appreciate it as always. Jordannah Miller in Jerusalem, thank you so much. All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Senate Republicans are meeting in private to choose the next majority leader, who will replace longtime Senate leader Mitch McConnell. South Dakota Senator John Thune, Texas Senator John Cornyan, and Florida Senator Rick Scott have been scrambling to win the most votes in the secret ballot election. Scott's been campaigning outside the Senate. Cornyn and Thune have drawn closer to Trump in recent months after criticizing him for trying to overturn the twenty twenty election. President elect TRUMPA has picked Elon Musk and Vivek Ramaswami to lead a Department of Government Efficiency.
Speaker 7: Congress has not created such an office, so it's unclear how it would be funded. Elon Musk posting all actions of the Department of Government Efficiency will be posted online for maximum transparency. Anytime the public thinks we are cutting something important, just let us.
Speaker 3: Know, okay.
Speaker 1: ABC's Christian Cordero says that Trump has already chosen more than a dozen appointees to hold key positions in his upcoming administration. Trump says the new organization DOGE Department of Government Official Efficiency will not be a government agency, but an outside group that will offer the White House advice. Mammoth Mountain has gotten five inches of fresh snow, just in time for ski season that starts on Friday. The result the resort rather has also been making snow. They used specialized machines that spray a fine mist of water into the air and it freezes before it hits the ground. Temperatures tonight in the twenties. Leaders with the Council on American Islamic Relations have joined defendants and other activists at a news conference to call on prosecutors to drop charges against fifty people arrested in a crackdown on a pro Palestinian encampment at UC Irvine in May. The defense AND's are scheduled to be arraigned today in Santa Anna. President elect Trump says Elon Musk and former Republican presidential candidate Vivik Ramaswami will lead a new Department of Government Efficiency. Trump said in a statement yesterday that Musk and Ramaswami will be working from outside the government to, in his words, slash excess regulations, cut wasteful expenditures, and restructure federal agencies. Actor John Krasinski is People Magazine's Sexiest Man Alive for twenty twenty four. The Office star and the man behind a Quiet Place found out last night on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert about the Honor the forty five year old joke that he thinks it's going to result in him having to do more household chores, but he's willing to take the cons with the pros. John Krasinski, he's acutie Okay, let's see what I'm on this week.
Speaker 6: Amy's on it, AMI's on it, Amy's.
Speaker 3: On it, Dami's on it.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm on things that are in the stream or on the stream, or sometimes they're on the big screen. But there's so much content out there. I like to absorb as much as I can, take recommendations from friends on what to watch, and then share with you to see if maybe you can find out about a great new show that you hadn't heard about, or maybe a show that you missed, or maybe a show that you should miss because it's not so good. So this week I'm on Slow Horses. It's on Apple TV. Plus there's four seasons. The fourth season just dropped in September, and the final season or the final episode has already dropped, so the whole season is out and it is a really good season.
Speaker 3: Four binch.
Speaker 1: So Slow Horses is a show that I was late on the late to the game on Like I had seen that it was on the on Apple TV. I'd scrolled past. I think a couple of people said, oh, it's kind of interesting, but I didn't hear a lot about it, and I even tried to watch it a couple of times, like I watched the first episode and just kept getting distracted and it just really wasn't excited about it, so I kind of went away from it. And then, for whatever reason, I don't know, a month or two ago, maybe I was out of things to watch, I went, oh, maybe I should give that Slow Horses another try. And I'm certainly glad that I did. The stories based on I five agents in the UK who mess up. They don't get kicked out of m I five, but they get reassigned to a sort of purgatory within the agency. So of course they're the outcasts and the misfits. They're treated like crap by both I five and the leader of their group, who is played by Gary Oldman, who's such a great actor, and his name in the show is Jackson Lamb.
Speaker 3: Kristen Stopped Kristin.
Speaker 1: Scott Thomas plays one of the heads of m I five, And it's another one of those stories where the characters are all super complicated, and of course they've all got demons and you can't really tell are they good or are they bad because they do bad things and they treat people badly. But then there are kind of glimmers of goodness that have you rooting for them, Unlike in shows like Succession, where they're just bad and you try but you can't root for them. There are characters in here that have those redeeming qualities. It's dark, lots of violence, there's some quirky humor, lots of action, but not so much that it's impossible to follow and you feel like it's just too much. It's a really good story to telling, and once you're hooked, I think you're gonna stay hooked. And when you watch it, tell me if you don't agree this with this that one of the most disturbing things in the show is that Gary Oldman, who is a spectacular actor, and I know it's part of his character, but he always looks like he needs a shower. It's a little distracting, but he does such a great, great show, unlike some of the other shows that I've been on. I'm happy to say that the fifth season has been confirmed, they've already shot it, and ahead of the fifth season premiere, it's already been renewed for a sixth season, which will be based on the sixth and seventh books in the series. This is all based on Books, a spy thriller, and I think that you should be on this one too. So when you have some time, do a good binge or just catch it one episode at a time. It's really really cool. Slow horses on Apple TV. I think you should be on it. Do I have a congratulation?
Speaker 3: So we do?
Speaker 1: We have a winner for our Chargers tickets. Vincent Munoz from Marietta pump to go see the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: Are not the Dodgers. I think Bill. I think Bill said the Dodgers yesterday. Go Chargers.
Speaker 1: Right, We're pumped to see the Chargers at SOFI Stadium on Sunday. Congratulations, Vincent. Okay, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Oh and I'm happy to tell you that Cono is in the house. Do you have a new tire on? Do you have a replacement tyron? Replaced so you could only go like forty five miles an hour driving?
Speaker 3: No, because I don't even remember I did this before. I have popped a tire, so I have an old rim. Oh, so I have a tire.
Speaker 1: Oh, a real tire so you could speed? Okay, well we're happy that you're here. Maybe we can get back to some normalcy. All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom.
Speaker 3: Dodger's picture.
Speaker 1: Fernando Valenzuela's death certificate shows that he died of septic shock. Secondary causes listed as two types of cirrhosis, and the document shows a significant condition contributing to Valenzuela's death was probably a rapidly progressive brain disorder. Valenzuela died on October twenty second, at the age of sixty three. No cause of death was given at the time. President Biden has met with Israel's president at the White House and has reaffirmed the US's support of Israel. Present and Herzog said the meeting was productive and that Biden is committing to working until his last minute in office to ensure the security of Israel. Oakland's efforts to rename its airport to the San Francisco Bay Oakland International Airport suffered a setback. A federal judge has granted the City of San Francisco's injunction, saying that the new name the airport started using a few months ago would cause irreparable harm to San Francisco's airport. Oakland Airport officials for now can't use the new name in any promotions or advertisements. They have vowed to keep fighting to use the name. Okay, So I got to tell you a little story. The other day, Shannon was running up and down the hallways and she said, I think I need a diet coke and I was like, oh, I want one too, and so she said, I'll get you one. So Shannon Farrin very generously went and bought me a diet coke and dropped it off and I tasted it, and I went, ew, that tastes weird. And I'm a huge diet coke fan. Not as big as Bill Handle, but I'm a huge diet coke fan. And so I was like, why does it taste weird? And then I started thinking it tastes different when it's in a can. So we thought we'd get a little pole go and see what you guys think. Nick Pouliochana, we're gonna pull internally first and then we'll go out to the world. What do you think cans or plastic bottles?
Speaker 5: What tastes so I like, we talked about so cans one hundred percent, unless it's a glass bottle.
Speaker 1: Okay, but those are really hard to find, okay. So so if it's cans or bottles, can can can correct okay, and can or bottle one can. But if I'm desperate enough, I'll take the bottle. Exactly. In desperation, you'll take whatever you can. Kno, Are you a diet coke person? Absolutely not, Okay, so you're not You're not included in this. So we put the pole up on Instagram at Amy K King at Emmy K King did a little snappole and asked is diet coke better in a can or a bottle? Can's rule seventy nine percent to twenty one percent over the plastic bottles, although I did get several messages from people on Instagram saying bottles are better the glass bottles, but they don't have those or they're very hard to come by. So then I thought, why don't they do aluminum bottles because then you'd still get the really good taste, but it'd be easy to transport. I hope the diet coke people are listening. But can's rule, that's what we have determined. La Mayor Bass is working to fast track a sanctuary city ordinance. Bass says she met with the city attorney and we'll get the ordinance before the La City Council as soon as possible. The mayor says there are, in her words, growing threats to the immigrant communities here in La. President elect Trump has promised to deport people who are in the country illegally. A Massachusetts Air National Guard member it's been sense to fifteen years in prison for leaking highly classified military documents about the war in Ukraine. Jack Deschera pleaded guilty earlier this year to six counts of violating the Espionage Act. He apologized in court shortly before he was sentenced. Yesterday. In Boston, a federal appeals court has halted work on more than one hundred temporary housing units on Veterans Affairs property near the UCLA Baseball Stadium on again is on VA property. The temporary stay stops the placement of modular housing for homeless vets in the stadium's parking lot. The construction was ordered last month by US District Judge David O.
Speaker 3: Carter.
Speaker 1: Let's say good morning to ABC's Shannon Kingston. Shannon, this is just crazy. Airlines being fired on by gangs in Haiti. What is the US doing to hopefully keep Americans safe?
Speaker 2: Good morning, Amy, Yes, it is crazy. Indeed, while after we saw images of bullet holes that were visible inside the cabin of a Spirit Airline flight that was forced to divert after trying to land in port of Prints, the FAA is now banning US commercial airlines from flying in or out of Haiti for at least the next thirty days. We also know that an American Airlines flight and a Jet Blue flight were hit in recent days by bullets in Haiti. Now that damage was discovered after those flights landed.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, so they made it down. How close was the Spirit Airlines Jet two landing.
Speaker 2: Well, we know that it was approaching the airport. It was just really a couple hundred feet above the ground. And that is the danger zone as flights are coming into the tarmac there and they can be struck by these smaller arms. But this isn't the only incident, of course, or these I should say, these multiple incidents with commercial airlines. That's not the only thing that's happened. Un flights were hit in the end of October, and now that the airport has been forced to shut down for at least until next Monday. The flow of aid and aid worker personnel coming into the country has been completely stymied as well.
Speaker 1: Wow, and that's going to be bad, because Haiti is a mess right now, right like the absolutely right they had not only do they have gangs overrunning the government, but they had that earthquake and then they had some severe storms.
Speaker 3: They've just been pounded.
Speaker 6: That's right.
Speaker 2: The political turmoil has been going on for years. The country has not had an elected president since the last president was assassinated in twenty twenty one, and that really led to the rise of gangs that have really taken control of the country. So what we're seeing now the attempts to shut down the airport here, the flights in and out of the country. Really that's the gangs kind of flexing their muscle. The US has been trying to address the incident. The UN as well has been working to address the violence. They've launched a Multinational Security Task Force. It's headed up by Kenya. But really, you know, that's been in place for over a year. It's been slow to get going, and progress has been even slower, And.
Speaker 3: Does Haiti have a military.
Speaker 2: Really, what they're relying on is a Haitian National Police Force in conjunction with this multinational security force. They're the ones charged with restoring order and trying to combat the gangs. But these gangs are very heavily armed, and according to the UN, they're in control of about eighty five percent of the capital. So you can see it is clearly a real fight between these two entities.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then I would imagine because they've stopped the flights, there are going to be some US citizens who are there who are stranded right now.
Speaker 3: Are is the US doing anything to help keep them safe?
Speaker 2: That's right. The State Department does classify Haiti as a Level four country, meaning do not travel, but Americans are never banned by the US government from traveling really anywhere, so we do know there are hundreds of not thousands, of US citizens in Haiti right now. What the State Department is telling them to do is to get in contact with the US Embassy import of prints now. Even if they don't have an immediate need or immediate desire to leave the country, what they want to do is just try to keep tabs on them a bit and kind of gods demand for alternate routes out of the country, because as we can see, it's already poised. There's very few safe options to leave Haiti, and it seems that there's bound to be even fewer in the days and weeks ahead.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then so you were mentioning that there's no ban, but so there's not like tourists going to Haiti right now.
Speaker 2: Or are there if there are, there are very few tourists, but I'm sure there are, you know, perhaps a handful of people visiting there for those kinds of purposes. But really we're talking about there's a lot of missions to Haiti. People of course, have family members. There are a lot of dual citizens who you know, need to go back to the country for various reasons. So those really that's the bulk of the Americans of the country.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: Shannon Kingston with ABC with the State Department correspondent, thank you so much, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: It is crazy, like firing at airplanes. Can you imagine that, like if that was happening at Lax craziness. We're just minutes away from handle on the news, you know, President Elect. I'm still trying to get the President elect from the former president or president and getting his terminology right. But President elect Trump is headed to the White House to meet with the current president President. It's they're going to sit down and talk policy as they talk about the transition of power. Bill's going to be talking about that. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A guy who tried to fraudulently sell an Andy Warhol is headed to federal prison.
Speaker 5: Warhol depicted former Soviet leader Vladimir Lenin the piece in question, number forty four of only forty six prints, with an estimated value of one hundred and seventy five thousand dollars. Prosecutors say Brian Light knew it was stolen from a home in la when a pawnshop called on him to help sell it. He had it shipped to an auction house in Dallas, which contacted the original gallery in West Hollywood, ultimately leading to the police being involved. Like pleaded guilty in federal court to interstate transportation of stolen goods. He faces ten years in prison. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: News brought to you by Ruterhiroo dot Com the Jet Propulsion Laboratory is cutting about five percent of its workforce as it deals with concerns about funding. The layoff of about three hundred twenty five workers at the lab in Pasadena are expected to start today, when all JPL employees have been instructed to work from home. The cuts are expected across all areas of the lab. The JPL laid off more than five hundred people last February. The president of USC is stepping down. Carol Fultz says she'll retire at the end of the academic year, but didn't give a reason why. The resignation comes after having to deal with pro Palestinian protests and the college admissions scandal in twenty nineteen, in which wealthy donors and celebrities like Lori Lachlan allegedly bribed the school to get their kids admitted. Mexico's economy minister says if the incoming Trump administration puts tariffs on Mexico, Mexico will do the same. He says his country has the conditions to play in Mexico's favor. Trump has promised to put twenty five percent tariffs on all goods from Mexico unless the country stops illegal immigrants and drugs from entering the US. President elect Trump is headed to the White House. ABC's Karen Travers says he's meeting with President Biden this morning.
Speaker 4: When President Biden and President Elect Trump sit down side by side in the Oval Office this morning, it will mark another moment in their political history. During his re election campaign, Biden centered his message on framing Trump as a threat to democracy, someone who should not be trusted. With the second term in the White House.
Speaker 1: The White House says Biden is showing by leadership what a peaceful transition looks like. Trump did not host Biden after the twenty twenty election. Special counsel Jack Smith and his team are expected to resign before President elect Trump takes office. Smith's office has been looking into how to wind down its work on two outstanding federal criminal cases against Trump. The Justice Department has a long standing policy that it cannot charge a sitting president with a crime. And just like that, our time together is over. Thanks for sticking with us for wake up call. We're glad that Kono made it in his hands are really grimy. He changed his own tire when he had a blowout this morning. Not fun not fun, but glad you made it in. Thanks again for hanging around with us. This is KFI and KOSTHD two Los Angeles, Orange County. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up Call, and if you missed any of wake Up Call, you can listen anytime on the iHeart Radio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.