Speaker 1: Hey everyone, I'm Nicole, I'm Ben, and you're listening to Wicked and Grim, a true.
Speaker 2: Crime podcast.
Speaker 1: Morning my podcast material.
Speaker 2: Audience listeners boom, what's up? Welcome friends.
Speaker 1: If you guys are expecting the second park to show Lake, I just want to say this right out out of the gate. If you're expecting the second part to part to show Lake, it already happened. We posted it on Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were way too nice. I feel like that was way too nice.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm not going to make people wait like a week. That's just me.
Speaker 2: I would have made them wait at least two days.
Speaker 1: You're cruel.
Speaker 2: You made them wait one day and people thought that was rude.
Speaker 1: It was funny. But go check out the second part if you haven't yet. The analytics show that there's quite a few of you out there who haven't checked it out yet. Still, so you're sitting there and half a story.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, they're gonna have to like re listen to number one. Yeah, probably forget everything. I'm just gonna throw it out there that I haven't even gotten ready for the day. I'm like in my pajamas. Still, it's really awesome.
Speaker 1: I'm jealous. I had to shower after getting home from work, and you're just sitting there on your PJ.
Speaker 2: Still, well, I still worked, but I work from home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't. And that's that's annoying to me.
Speaker 2: It's actually really sweet jealous three and three. But a lot of times when I don't get ready for the day end up having like a zoom call. So it's like, oh man, please don't. When it didn't happens, it is like, yes, nice, best decision.
Speaker 1: That's a working from home COVID win right.
Speaker 2: There, pretty much I won today winning.
Speaker 1: Okay, do you want to drop some news on us? Or should I? Who wants to do it? You or me?
Speaker 2: You? Me?
Speaker 1: Okay, we have some news.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I'm hitting my microphone.
Speaker 1: Oh your cord, get your cord wrapped?
Speaker 2: What's going on here?
Speaker 1: Your cord?
Speaker 2: Okay, that's what I'm doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, get your cord up there?
Speaker 2: Sorry people at this There we go. I'm new here.
Speaker 1: Technical difficulties all right. So we have mentioned a couple of times that we're doing a giveaway here coming up soon. That giveaway is gonna be a little ways out, so we decided we're gonna do another giveaway in term mm hmmm. So I went ahead and contacted a friend of mine, Dana.
Speaker 2: This is Dana, yep. I was just gonna be like, this is Dana.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, Dana from Boneyard Sculptures mm hmm, local artists in town. She listens to the podcast. She's a friend of mine. She does amazing work if you're into like little oddities or anything like that. She does like sculptures with like skulls and bones, skeletons, taxidermized stuff, like a lot of really cool things. And what I got from her is actually a Madagascar sunset moth that's been pinned out and framed and it looks killer.
Speaker 2: It looks cool, and I kept calling it a butterfly but I which is so wrong. But I think that only only just like shows how pretty it is. Yeah, because when you think of a moth, I don't actually think that's like pretty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, this sucker. It looks like a dope ass butterfly. It's actually like I'm up on Wikipedia with it right now, and it's actually considered one of the most impressive and appealing looking lipid dope burdens, which is apparently like a class of moths butterflies, moth and butterflies.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, because yeah, when you think of a moth, I think of that like nasty beige colored thing that's always like in your freaking face.
Speaker 1: No, anyone who plays Animal Crossing, this is that like gorgeous ass moth on Animal cross That's cool.
Speaker 2: I forgot it was from Animal Crossing.
Speaker 1: So we have a tax a taxi demized sunset matagascar moth that's gonna be go out twenty of you guys. You're just going to check us out on Instagram for all the details and how you can win it. It's Wicked and Graham. Look us up on Instagram and go see if you can get a hold of this sucker. We'll mail it to you.
Speaker 2: Do it. Yeah, and because we're doing that this week, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah yeah boom boom boom boom. Yeah. Okay, I assume by the time this episode's out, we'll have the deats up on our Instagram deets. You hear that I'm hip with the kids.
Speaker 2: Probably not.
Speaker 1: Actually, we'll make sure we'll do it.
Speaker 2: Well. That means you have to do it tonight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll do it.
Speaker 2: Oh, witch, you could do it. I have others stuff to do tonight.
Speaker 1: I want you to do it.
Speaker 2: I'm just kidding, Okay, I'm excited.
Speaker 1: Okay, I know nothing about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you even know what it's about? Completely in the dark, which I love. I love that. I love that I kept you in the dark.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's hear about it. What do we got?
Speaker 2: So this is the story. Sorry, this is the story of a man wanting his wife dead and then the process of doing that killed twenty two other people.
Speaker 1: Holy shit?
Speaker 2: Does that peak your interests a little bit? If that don't peak your interests? And I don't know what will, I really don't.
Speaker 1: That's definitely interest peaking worthy.
Speaker 2: I know it's wild.
Speaker 1: Twenty three you said.
Speaker 2: Twenty yeah, twenty three people, twenty two other people other than his wife.
Speaker 1: He just gave a little bit of a way I did.
Speaker 2: Shit, you made me fuck up.
Speaker 1: It's all good, good. I had to say, yeah, twenty three. All right, that's the episode.
Speaker 2: Guys. Hey, yeah, boom done? Anyway? Oh grab Okay. So his name's Joseph Albert Gway. Okay, And this is actually another little thing I have to put out there is it's like in Quebec. Okay, So there's like French stuff and just like, don't judge me.
Speaker 1: Well, now I know how I feel when I was doing the maple syrup one.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, okay, the mount Okay. I have like a ton of table lipen on my laptop right now that are like how to pronounce this, and that's all I've been listening to. But I'm still going to freak it up.
Speaker 1: It's in one year, out the other, the moment that Mike starts.
Speaker 2: It's just I know, so anyway, just people already know we'd have pronouncing stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, deal with it.
Speaker 2: So josephbout Albert Gway, and I'm going to refer to him as Albert. He was born on September twenty third, nineteen eighteen. He's the youngest of five children, and he was a spoilt little brat okay, who always expected to get his way. It just like sounds like you.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, Okay, we're both.
Speaker 2: Thinking, oh, anyway, he love you. And that kind of attitude followed him into his adult life. Okay, so real winner here, Yeah, no kidding. As a young man, Albert worked in the jewelry biz. He sold jewelry and watches on commission. He was a natural salesman, very.
Speaker 1: Persistent, persistent, probably got charisma charm too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so there you go, we're describing him. When World War two broke out in nineteen forty five, Albert worked at a Canadian arsenal. I hate saying that word arsenal arsenal does it sound I just feel like I'm going to say like assholes, which is so weird.
Speaker 1: It's not close to being.
Speaker 2: This, it's like arsenal. Like, it just makes me feel like I'm saying a weird word.
Speaker 1: Arsehole maybe is what you're saying.
Speaker 2: Maybe if people don't know what that is, because I wasn't even certain an.
Speaker 1: Arsehole that's your buttole.
Speaker 2: It's a place where weapons and military equipment are stored and made. Did you know that, Ben?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: During this time, he was also met his future wife, Rita Morell Rita Morel, Rita.
Speaker 1: Morel like he met her at the Arsenal. The arsehole, I.
Speaker 2: Think, I think so, I just had during the same time that he was working at the Arsenal arsenal.
Speaker 1: So whether there or somewhere else at that that time, yeah, gotcha, gotcha.
Speaker 2: So after the arsenal closed in nineteen forty five, Albert opened a jewelry and watch repair shop, in Quebec City and him and Rita had their first child.
Speaker 1: Oh nice.
Speaker 2: This is when shit went south though, And this is freaking wild what I'm about to say. Albert, being the spoiled brat he was, didn't like being second pill to a baby.
Speaker 1: Oh shit.
Speaker 2: He was jealous that the baby was taking up so much of Rita's time and attention.
Speaker 1: What the fuck.
Speaker 2: A freak? So that he's like a spoilt brat, but like this is also his kid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like what what kind of mentality do you have to be jealous of your own child's attention.
Speaker 2: Taking up up like your wife's attention. Like that's really messed.
Speaker 1: That is self.
Speaker 2: You never heard of anything like that, but yeah, me either. So like this guy is wow. At the same time, his business was also beginning to fail and debts were piling up, so I don't know, maybe that could have had something to do with it. I'm being really kind by saying playing Devil's advocate.
Speaker 1: Yeah gotcha.
Speaker 2: So his eye began to wander for new happiness, okay, okay, which is when he laid eyes on nineteen year old Marie Ange, a teenage waitress.
Speaker 1: How old is he? He was born eighteen eight here. Ok sorry, just wait, I'm sorry, I'm getting ahead of you, and was.
Speaker 2: Either nineteen or seventeen. There was like a ton of reports with either age, but I just decided to go with nineteen because I felt it was less gross because Albert would have been around thirty at the time. Yeah. Okay, so nineteen, so young, but it's at least it's legal, I guess.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, a little bit just listening to this, Yeah, it's gross.
Speaker 2: So we're gonna just say she's nineteen. Albert going by the name of Roger Angers Angers. Yeah, the two of them began having an affair.
Speaker 1: Oh so she was into him too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're into each other.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: He even offered her an engagement ring and.
Speaker 1: He's already married. Yeah, that's just all around, just fucking dumb.
Speaker 2: Like I'm sorry, I don't think. I don't think that he could have just gotten remarried. But this is where the whole thing comes together.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, I'm gonna just not rant and ravee. Go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 2: Rina did find out about the affair and confronted the pair. It's unclear if this cause caused Marianne to leave the relationship with Albert right away or a short time after, but she did end up leaving him, telling him since he was married, there was no point in continuing with the affair. There was no point, like she left because he's married, they're not going to be able to get married, Like she's just on the side, Like, what the fuck's the point got you?
Speaker 1: I got the women mixed up for.
Speaker 2: This piece, which she didn't want to.
Speaker 1: Be that side piece.
Speaker 2: Yes, she wanted to be the main piece.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So this made Albert furious, though.
Speaker 1: Furious So I mean if my side piece ran away, I'd be pissed off too.
Speaker 2: Would you? Yeah, So the only logical next step would be to get rid of the wife, right, Well, I mean that makes sense really, Like what the fuck else is there to do? Which is just like so bullshit, Like he's cheating and also annoyed that they have a child that she's like raising and he's fucking mad.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, literally everything here he is the root cause so far, like his business is fair.
Speaker 2: Again, I was actually trying not to be biased in any of this, but even just me reading it, he sounds like a piss of shit.
Speaker 1: Well, like I said, his business is failing, his marriage is clearly failing. He is jealous of his own offspring and his affair didn't work out. That is all to do with not necessarily only himself, but at least involving himself.
Speaker 2: So Albert concocted a plan to get Rita out of the picture because divorcing her, and this is actually true, divorcing her simply was not an option because at the time Quebec was strictly Catholic, so divorce was like frowned upon and like pretty much almost impossible. Yeah, because I was like, I read one report where they just said simply not an option. I was like, why it's not an option? And I had to dig into that because I was like, what do you mean, good investigation work.
Speaker 1: Good job.
Speaker 2: Albert asked a clockmaker, Genneru Roost, who had a talent for mechanical work, to construct a time bomb.
Speaker 1: I was really hoping you were going to say time machine.
Speaker 2: I'm like, this is that would be sweet? A time bomb for him, using dynamite batteries and an alarm clock. The dynamite had been purchased at a hardware store by Genneru's sister, Marguerite Patrie. I think I'm doing okay. These names.
Speaker 1: Can I hold you up for just one second?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: So he just goes over to this watchmaker is like, hey, can you make me a bomb? And she's like, sure that that's that he. I think it was they whoever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I'm getting into that he had his reasonings, okay, and I think it was like I didn't put it in here, but I think that he like worked for him, but that was it was. There was different reports. I did mention to you earlier because it's like, this is like a case from way back in the day. So it's almost a game of telephone where I think things change, and so many different reports have different not like the main story is the same, but little tidbits that are different.
Speaker 1: It's hard to get those details straight.
Speaker 2: So I just picked the one that's like mostly us and the one that makes sense. So yeah, he asked him to make this bomb, and the nynamite was purchased by his sister, Marguerite Patri Patrue Patri, who was also familiar with Albert as she helped arrange liaisons between Albert and his mistress. Oh so, the reason Albert gave for needing a bomb was to clear stumps from his field.
Speaker 1: Oh, I mean, still.
Speaker 2: Is that a reason for needing a bomb?
Speaker 1: No? But I mean still.
Speaker 2: That was his reasoning.
Speaker 1: At least he has a reason. He didn't just go, hey, just make me a bomb.
Speaker 2: The dude's like, Okay, this is what he said to the dude.
Speaker 1: That's just slightly shifty. Hey make me a timed bomb. It's uh for the stumps in my field.
Speaker 2: I know. I feel like people would be like huh yeah. And I mean like if he worked for him, maybe he was just like felt like he needed to. I don't know.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: Also, at the time, sales of explosion explosives to civilians in Canada was recorded, but it wasn't strictly regulated. Because I don't feel like, now we could just go get dynamite, could we? I know, Okay, I mean like I've never looked into it, but it's like, I don't feel like that's something we could just go by.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure if you are able to there's to be some seriously strict shit going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably, So this is interesting. He initially considered poisoning Rita and had offered a friend five hundred dollars to poison her drink, but the friend apparently is not a piece of shit and.
Speaker 1: Refused well on that non piece.
Speaker 2: That was his first idea. So then he came up with, in his opinion, a better plan that he felt authorities would not be able to track back to him. Albert traveled frequently by airplane to deliver and receive merchandise, so his plan was to convince his wife to take one of the trips for him.
Speaker 1: And blow up the plane.
Speaker 2: Have this timed bomb present on that same airplane.
Speaker 1: Okay, you've mentioned this case in the past, telling me that you wanted to do this one.
Speaker 2: Because honestly, I've had this on my list forever, yeah, forever, and I just never did it for some reason. Like that's like screwed up page.
Speaker 1: That is very fucked up.
Speaker 2: Like I mean, think like about all the other people on that plane, Like what the hell didn't care a self absorbed piece of ship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's fucking trash trash. Do we have a badass of the day in this episode or can I just like straight up deal it to the guy who refused to poison someone, because I mean, that's not like that's a bad that's just a normal thing.
Speaker 2: But I don't really think we do. So, Yeah, I guess it's the friend.
Speaker 1: A friend who refused to be a shitty person, but.
Speaker 2: Then did the friend also like, I don't know, I don't think he can be a reward of that, because like he should have also turned him in. Maybe he tried.
Speaker 1: I don't know what.
Speaker 2: No, No, I don't even think. I don't think.
Speaker 1: So we'll find out if there is or is I don't think there is.
Speaker 2: So the next step was convincing Rita to take one of his trips for him. He said it was imperative she go to Baekomo Como to retrieve some jewels that he bought for the business. She was very unwilling. He was asking someone to do him a favor that wasn't exactly happy with him. It wasn't a happy marriage, and it's not like she just found out that he was having an affair or anything like. I'm pretty sure if I was in that role, i'd be like, so go f yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they're not happy. She just found out the affair, like, yeah, a favor, fuck yourself, you piece of shit.
Speaker 2: But remember Albert was very persuasive and used to getting his own way right. Yeah, so in the end she did agree. Fuck I wish she didn't. The package containing the bomb also needed to be delivered to the airport. Marguerite was the one in charge of that, and the morning of the flight dropped of a very heavy parcel with the same destination as the flight Rita would be boarding. It was reported she did this in exchange for or to cancel a six hundred dollars debt that she had with Albert.
Speaker 1: I mean, if successful, that would have been a sweet deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because like six hundred bucks back then, there's a lot of yeah, what.
Speaker 1: Nineteen forty five or forty eight somewhere in there, so yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, nineteen forty nine, forty nine, Okay, so oh, which I'll kind of reference how much money that is kind of in a minute, because and this is apparently after dropping readA off at the airport, Albert took out an additional insurance policy on read Up in the amount of ten thousand, which would be equivalent to over one hundred thousand today.
Speaker 1: That's how he got caught, isn't it. You don't have to tell me, but that's probably how he got caught.
Speaker 2: Not really, okay, but apparently one article I did read said that that was an overly questioning back then because like I don't know, I don't know when airplanes were invented and stuff, but I think people were still like sketched.
Speaker 1: Out about them and so okay.
Speaker 2: So I don't think that would have been like a super like red flag.
Speaker 1: Okay, So it's like plane, I'll want to get extra insurance just in case that shit fucking goes down.
Speaker 2: Because he did make sure that he bought a return ticket, Okay, So he wasn't like being a total cheap ass, so he covered his bases there because he could have just bought in one way and saved himself some money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but then it definitely does look sketch.
Speaker 2: Totally would totally would. The flight number was one awight, operated by Canadian Specific Airlines Pacific Airlines, flying from Montreal to Bay Como. See, I'm probably pronouncing the same work differently throughout this. I just like there with me with the stopover in Quebec City, which is where ritaboarded. Albert had done calculations for the bomb to go off. Well, the plane was flying over the Saint Lawrence River. This was his way of making forensic examination of the crash pretty much impossible because with the technology that they had, like if it was underwater, like they.
Speaker 1: Just yeah, they're screwed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that was that was his whole idea. However, however, however, there was a delay at takeoff of of course imagine that. Eh. I don't know if they had like the kind of lays that we do now back then, but like your flight can be freaking delayed as hacking. That's on time, I know, like it would at least always be five minutes, like like always.
Speaker 1: So I think they'd take into account delays because I know a lot of planes I've been on. They arrive on time, but they always take off late.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, But I think it also depends how the wind is going to Like I think that can help you go quicker count it.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you've got a back wind, yeah, pushing you along.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I have no idea.
Speaker 1: Someone who's into aviation, hit us up, let us know how this works.
Speaker 2: I also know that like flying just makes me ill now as I get older. Yeah, it's not as fun, like it's like you want to and you want to go to all these cool places now, but it's just like it makes me feel It's like I.
Speaker 1: Want to go to Japan. But it's going to be like how many like eighteen hours at least of flying to get there.
Speaker 2: Do I really want to go to pan Yeah? Okay. So this meant that the bomb would detonate five minutes earlier in the flight than planned, causing the plane to crash on land rather than in the river. On September ninth, nineteen forty nine, forty five minutes into flight one, oh wait, the plane exploded over salt cocone co cone Quebec. It was salt when I'm just stuttering, Maybe that helps. It was described by onlookers that it was like the plane had hit an object. Oh wow, it hit an object in air. It lost altitude extremely quickly and disappeared behind steep mountains inane. I know, honestly, like that would be a sight and a half. Hey, I would be terrified just to see, Yeah, you'd pissed your pants. Really. Investigators with Canadian specificsic wanting to say specific, but it's Pacific Airlines, searching for the wreckage, found the plane at night, guided by torch lights, which just like such a visual like going through the night like with these torch lights, like looking for this, Like that's like creepy vibes, not like a because.
Speaker 1: You held your hand up like it's a wooden torch. It's most likely going to be like torch lanterns, So it's mostly going to be like a lantern with like a candle or something like a flame inside still, and they'll have mirrors in the back to direct the light forward, so it's almost like a spotlight, but it's flamelet I.
Speaker 2: Still think that's creepy, But yeah, I guess I was a little bit further back in time.
Speaker 1: I and my like, you're like pitchfork in the air sort of things that you're just gestering.
Speaker 2: If only people could see my gesterres are really weird.
Speaker 1: Italian hands last time pitchforks and flames and shit. This time.
Speaker 2: Oh, it was a remote forested location obvious, and that the scene was described as intolerable with bodies laying around the ground near the metallic carcass of a plane.
Speaker 1: That's quite the description at night.
Speaker 2: With your torches like brutal. Hey, no one had survived the bomb, So no one had survived. The bomb did successfully then kill Albert's wife, but in the process it also killed every single other person on the plane, all four crew members and nineteen passengers including oh no, four children.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's where you're going with that.
Speaker 2: Oh, I know. The victims were all Canadians except for three American executives from the ken Caught Utah Copper Company, so there was even three Americans on there. Just how to throw live in there. And it's interesting the plane didn't catch fire upon impact, so it was in relatively and I'm quoting relatively good condition. And this helped with the investigation.
Speaker 1: As far as an impact from a plane could.
Speaker 2: Go, because I don't know, I would think like that it would just blow up almost but no, it didn't catch fire or nothing locked out because the initial theory, of course, was mechanical malfunction. I don't think anyone's brain would just be like, oh my gosh, someone bombed the plane.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's well. I mean nowadays maybe, but yeah, not back then.
Speaker 2: But that was thrown out almost instantly, and the investigators were able to determine exactly where where the bomb had exploded.
Speaker 1: Oh shit, I'm interested in the evidence in how they trail it back to him. What's the douchebag's name again?
Speaker 2: Albert?
Speaker 1: Albert? Okay, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Was like, I don't know, I was just kidding. I also wanted to note the bombing was not the first instance of sabotaging a passenger's flight for criminal criminal purposes, but it was the first to be solved and received wide news media coverage locally abroad. Apparently this is interesting. Several months prior, a civilian plane was the target of an attack in the Philippines, which could have been how Albert got this idea. That was what one report said.
Speaker 1: He was influenced, influenced these influencers on Instagram what they're doing, and he followed suit. So.
Speaker 2: With the baggage compartment on the left side of the plane torn to pieces and containing items that had been picked up in their quick stopover in Quebec City, Marguerite was in trouble.
Speaker 1: Oh oh oh, what happened? What happened? What happened? Tell me, tell me.
Speaker 2: The log book indicated that there was a last minute parcel drop off addressed to a non existent person with a fake address.
Speaker 1: Oh shit.
Speaker 2: An airport employee led police to look for a tall woman in black who had arrived in a taxi, and the taxi driver would later describe Marguerite as an elegant woman holding a package on her lap with the word fragile written on it, repeatedly expressing to him drive careful and not to speed.
Speaker 1: That's sketch right there, I know, freaking nitroglycerine in there or something.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, like holy shit, I would probably be like peeing myself caring that. Yeah, that statement of hers though, it's very interesting because according to Marguerite, she believed the package contained a statue of virgin Mary. So if you just had okay in the box. She always said that she just had a statue, that's what she believed was in that box.
Speaker 1: But she she knew it was a bomb though.
Speaker 2: Right, actually it's not for sure really, yeah, I like we'll get to this in like the trials and stuff. But she always like said she was innocent, that she believed that it was a statue of virgin Mary in there. But then what the taxi driver said doesn't make any sense because if she just believed it was a statue, like would she give a shit if he was speeding or like going fast?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that doesn't make any sense considering because she said that she was a liaison with the whole like woman on the side thing. I lost my terminology for what that is? Fair, fair, thank you liaison for the affair. She's most likely in his good books for having knowledge of this secretive stuff. So why would she not have been in on the whole knowledge of the bomb, because what was her relationship with the clock maker dude who built the bomb?
Speaker 2: That was the sibling. There were the siblings, So.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's I almost guarantee you.
Speaker 2: But well you'll find out too. The clockmaker says he's innocent too.
Speaker 1: How the fuck he made it?
Speaker 2: Okay, you know what, you're jumping the fuck ahead?
Speaker 1: Well you just told me the clock. You're jumping ahead. You talked about the clock. Make her not me?
Speaker 2: Okay, keep going, Okay, I'm going to keep going. I feel like you actually cannot wait at all to like find out what the heck happened. You're the most impatient.
Speaker 1: I like to dissect shit. Okay, I'm sorry. I like to understand and then and this doesn't make sense right now.
Speaker 2: So, realizing that she was the main suspect in like such a horrible crime, Marguerite became suicidal. I'm playing Devil's advocate here because it's not certain if she knew what was actually in the parcel or not. It was also in some reports that Elbert apparently showed up at her house and told her that the parcel she delivered to the airport contained the bomb and encouraged her to commit suicide as she would be to blame for the explosion.
Speaker 1: He encouraged her to commit suicide potentially potentially. Fuck, he's definitely a shit bag.
Speaker 2: I know, like he's a piece of work, eh, a piece of shit.
Speaker 1: He's you know what, he's the dirt stuck to the piece of shit when you take a shit outside and it sticks to the pood, because that's what he's.
Speaker 2: The fact that he just like there's even reports that said like he just he needed his wife dead and he just wasn't going to think about like the other victims. And I'm like, if if you needed your wife dead, like fine, I mean, that's still a shitty person, but it's like, do you have to kill all these incent people? Like that was just fucked up.
Speaker 1: This guy's just oh, like what a fucking guy?
Speaker 2: Like he's cross. He even looks gross in his photos.
Speaker 1: Don't show me a picture.
Speaker 2: Well, I might made up one on Insta. I actually don't know what I'm gonna put on Insta for a photo. So she shed did attempt to take her own life, but later woke up in hospital. Interesting fact here, and this is just a side note. I didn't know. I had no idea this, and I want people to learn do tell. At the time, suicide was considered a criminal offense in Canada, and it was until nineteen seventy two. Wow, really, I had absolutely no idea.
Speaker 1: I was like, wow, I know, it's like other than like the social and like the faux pas of just a personal suicidal thing or whatever. I know that like churches really look down on it, and the fact that it was governed mostly by you know, the Catholic Church.
Speaker 2: And go back, Yeah, that could be maybe why, and.
Speaker 1: Early civilizations and stuff throughout Canada. Like Canada is only one hundred years old, so we're talking like fifty years old, so we're only fifty years into Canada basically here. So it kind of makes sense really that the church has a lot of power. And throwing that.
Speaker 2: Out there so shitty though, because I just feel like they, I don't know. Mental health has just gotten a lot more less judged, I guess, so back then it might have been more judged. So then you're like trying to kill yourself and you don't succeed, and then you're also in trouble and like, yeah, what I have to go to jail and do they want to help you? And I'm just like, my little heart, I just like I can't handle that.
Speaker 1: That's just asking for someone to hang themselves in bed sheets.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, like it's.
Speaker 1: Wow, instead of you know, oh, you try to end your own life, we're gonna make it worse, rather than oh, you tried to end your own life, let's try and help you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. I mean, I don't know what they did, but it's just like that's just where my head when I was like, this is truty it is. She was questioned by investigators while recovering in hospital, and had admitted she delivered a package to the airport the day the plane exploded, but that she was not aware of its contents. Her testimony pointed police towards Albert and her own brother, Generu Jenu Generue. I think I'm pronouncing that we're going to be wrong every time witho Jen Jean Jen, I don't know. Albert was arrested two weeks after the crash and put on trial in February of nineteen fifty good. He was sentenced to death by hanging and was executed on January twelfth, nineteen fifty one, at the age of third too.
Speaker 1: Oh so he was executed.
Speaker 2: They executed him.
Speaker 1: I mean, I there's there's a lot to say both on every side, because there's a million sides when it comes to it of execution. But he ended the life for twenty three people.
Speaker 2: That's a lot of people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I wonder.
Speaker 2: When the death penalty stopped encountered. I don't even know, not too sure, but I was like boom, like always shit, that's freaking terrifying.
Speaker 1: Also a little tidbit of looking forward, my mom gave me an idea on a great case and the hanging that you just mentioned gave it reminded me of it.
Speaker 2: Oh, your mom gave us an idea. I love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's actually one from our local area too, with that involves a lot.
Speaker 2: Of hangings, so really from back in the day.
Speaker 1: I'll just put it that. That's it. I'm not going to say when it's coming up because I don't know why I'm going to do it. No, I already know my.
Speaker 2: Next one, Okay, but do you want to know something? What his last words were?
Speaker 1: I'm a douchebag?
Speaker 2: Something in French?
Speaker 1: Is that what he said?
Speaker 2: Something in French?
Speaker 1: He said that was a quote.
Speaker 2: But I haven't for you English.
Speaker 1: His quote exactly was English words something in French. Could you imagine that being your last word?
Speaker 2: Okay? Well, honestly, oh shit, did something just happened?
Speaker 1: I think I bumped the court a little bit.
Speaker 2: Okay, I thought we weren't recording. Kay, you want to know what is his last words? Something in French would have been better than this shit? Oh God, at least I die famous.
Speaker 1: At least I die famous.
Speaker 2: Are you last words?
Speaker 1: You may die famous, but you die a fucking douchebag?
Speaker 2: Like I was, like, you're an asshole. So genneroue Roost and Marguerite Petrie were also later arrested, and they were arrested because Albert threw them under.
Speaker 1: The bus, of course he did.
Speaker 2: After his conviction, Albert issued a statement claiming that Gennerou and Marguerite had knowingly a bedded his plans. Generou was arrested on June sixth, nineteen fifty and Marguerite on June fourteenth, though they both maintained they were innocent. Marguerite claimed that Albert had told her the package she was transporting contained nothing other than a statue, and Generou claimed, I think I just pronounced the name really wrong.
Speaker 1: It sounds like Generous. I love it.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Je claimed that he thought the bomb that he was making was going to be used to clear tree stumps from the field, as Albert had initially said. Generu was convicted in November of nineteen fifty and sentenced to death by hanging, which was carried out on July twenty fifth, nineteen fifty two, and at the age of that or at that time, he was aged fifty four.
Speaker 1: Fuck.
Speaker 2: Marguerite's trial began on March sixth, nineteen fifty one one, and she was also found guilty and also hanged to death hang on until January ninth, nineteen fifty three. Interesting tidbit is she was the thirteenth and last woman to be hanged in Canada.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, I guess in that case, thirteen was definitely an unlucky.
Speaker 2: Number for the ship number for her only, but maybe.
Speaker 1: Lucky for everyone else because it was a last I guess. Yeah, But wow, that's crazy. I mean if they if they were guilty, then hell yeah, they fucking deserve it.
Speaker 2: But if they're not, I know, like, okay, And this is what I'm to say next, is there was an uh Dellard doesn't roue I don't know, doesn't dell author of causes why they listen to us? I don't know? So he was an author. He stuttered nudy the cases and concluded that Generu may have known may not have known of Albert's intentions when asked him to make the bomb, and he also thought that Marguerite may have been innocent as well. It was suspected that Albert's motive, basically his motive for turning them in, like turning those two in, was to buy time to delay his own execution, believing that he would be called to testify at their trials.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, so he was.
Speaker 2: Throwing them under the bus because he thought it would make him live a little bit longer and have to go and testify at their trials. He testified at Generu's trial, but was hanged before Marguerite's trial. Fuck, and this is this is where I'm ending it here, and this is shit too. One last thing I wanted to mention is that there was a copycat, which I feel makes Albert's last words like even more shitty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no kidding.
Speaker 2: So on November one, nineteen fifty five, six years after the bombing, Jake Gilbert Graham, inspired by Albert, bombed United Airlines Flight six two nine, killing forty four people aboard, including his mother, his motive being that his mother mistreated him as a small child. He placed a dynamite time bomb in his mom suitcase and purchased life insurance on her before the plight's departure.
Speaker 1: Fuck, So, Albert wasn't responsible for twenty nine deaths. He was responsible for sorry, twenty three deaths. He was responsible for the twenty three plus his two accomplices and the forty four in the copycat killing, which is a total of sixty.
Speaker 2: Nine gigas and his own.
Speaker 1: Really well, yeah, so seventy deaths.
Speaker 2: And like I didn't even put this in there, Like they had a kid, fucking poor. So that little kid, I think it was like four or something, A little girl like doesn't have parents.
Speaker 3: Well I would rather not have parents and have him, I know, I know, hopefully like she went to a good family member or something. Wow, But yeah, Albert's a piece of fucking trash.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I just I can't even believe that something like that would happen, Like that's crazy because I mean, okay, you want to kill someone, but like to think about doing it in a way that kills so many innocent people just like makes my head hurt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no kidding.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that's the story. I don't even know what I'm going to title this podcast because I was like, I don't know if I want to title his name.
Speaker 1: He's a dick, Albert's a piece of shit. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh when it's episode twenty, which is really cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, episode twenty, we're officially new moor O Deuce in double digits, let us go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 1: That was a good episode. Although Albert sucks, we hate him. He can he can rot and burn forever.
Speaker 2: I know. He just sounds like an all around shitty person, but people like him.
Speaker 1: Yeah Charman, who's not shitty though. Everyone out there who's listening to this, we appreciate you guys. Oh my gosh, makes you guys go to Instagram so you can win that freaking sunset Madagascar moth well.
Speaker 2: And just like I don't know, we post selfies and stuff on there. So if you want to see what we look like, oh god, that's creepy.
Speaker 1: You can see Nicole and her get up kay this morning when she didn't.
Speaker 2: We're not doing any selfies today. There's no selfies going out, okay, because yeah I have not. I think I put a brawl.
Speaker 1: At least look good, lulupants, sweatshirt up, bun, you're done.
Speaker 2: I look like this most days.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, we appreciate you guys. Check out the Instagram so you have so you can have a chance to win that. And yeah, we appreciate all the messages we've been getting lately. So you guys are amazing.
Speaker 2: Thank you, very so amazing. Thank you, and stay wicked, Stay wicked.