Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty powered by Nova Insurance Services Insure your most Prized Possessionetsy.
Speaker 2: Good afternoon, everybody.
Speaker 3: Welcome to I on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, and today with me is Dave Stilba. Thanks for coming back, Dave, sure, thanks for not running away, walking away. I'm still around, still around. You're good to be able to good to be able to help. Right, You've got my boy Ray here anders all our social and our panel here. Hello, Ray, you actually watched the draft last night?
Speaker 2: I was working, so oh you had you had it on? But yeah, yeah, okay that's bits.
Speaker 3: And pieces, so already somebody on the internet, deal interweb, you know, on Facebook?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Are they become the smartest people in this world. And I'm fine with that. They could be as smart as they want to be. That Our Bryant should have stayed the year. Okay, No, he's fine being fourteen in the lottery.
Speaker 4: He'll be fine. Yeah, he's gonna get his money. He'll get a good deal at a good place. Yeah, and he's gonna he kind of gets the clock started for his pro career to get to that like third year where the big contracts start to kick in.
Speaker 3: He would not have got any better than he is now, although maybe because you're a year older, right, if you're if you're if you're not getting any better every year, you're you're not getting any better, Yeah, which is the obvious. But of course he would have gotten better, but also his stock value would have probably stayed the same.
Speaker 4: You know, and they talk about drafting on potential and stuff like that. I mean, this is probably a perfect example that he did he ever start a game here?
Speaker 2: I don't maybe maybe maybe I don't.
Speaker 4: I mean I have to check him. Basically, he was not a starter, didn't play a lot of minutes, didn't score a lot of points. Yeah, but you know when you watch him physically, you go, yeah, he looks like he's going to be a really good player. But that's kind of I guess what the NBA is are looking at these days.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: Hey, by the way, we're gonna have something cued up here after the break, right yep. My question to coach Tommy Lloyd about Caleb Love and I have another thought about that, so that but maybe while you're kind of listening to us Jibber Jabber, could you see if if Carter had a press converce today in San Antonio that might not happen till after today when they have everybody they drafted. But just in case, you know, he'll at the press coverage if Mede me or may not.
Speaker 2: But Dave, when did you learn that there was this thing? Was a two day thing?
Speaker 3: I knew that you did last night was the first time. I think they've never done it really, Yeah, because I had to ask Bruce, I said, I was expecting around two right away because it usually goes It goes real quick, and it's who's going to give a crap about two day's people?
Speaker 4: Well, it's just programming for ESPN. They need something, They need a lot of help.
Speaker 3: Have you seen all the criticism that they've received over last night that Colin Coward got drafted?
Speaker 2: Last night he did, yeah, what's your name? What's your name? The female host of the show, Colleen Andrews.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was Cedric Cedric Coward and he says, oh, well, calling Coward and they didn't take it back.
Speaker 2: Everybody's continue to do it.
Speaker 3: And if you if you watch U or listen to or follow awful announcing that was okay. Hell, they could, they could have a whole book on me awful announcing.
Speaker 4: But you know what I'm saying, Yeah, you know, and the whole NBA TV situation is kind of in flux right now. Who knows what's going to be what next year when the season comes back with you know, with Amazon coming on and Pete Talk and NBC coming back and a lot of these guys like Richard Jefferson. You know, I don't think is guaranteed to come back to that role. It's a pretty prime job, being the NBA Finals early on in your in your career. I don't know. I mean, of course, all the you know, the tn T guys are moving over to ESPN, right so, I don't know. I didn't watch much of the coverage. I saw some here and there. I saw it kind of late in the first round after Carter had already been picked. But yeah, I mean it's live TV things people.
Speaker 2: Are And I don't blame her.
Speaker 3: It's just that, you know, people jump on any nowadays. You say anything badly, yeah or incorrect, we're gonna jump on it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And they looked they catch you. I mean, it's a high profile event. It's the biggest story of the night. And you know, this is kind of the end of the run for for ESPN this year.
Speaker 6: It was boring kind of speaking on that. There was a I forget which player it was. He was drafted by the Raptors. I think it was Colin Murray. Boyles looked like he was a bit upset that he was going to Toronto, and you know, it got me kind of thinking, like, how much do you think like money, like.
Speaker 7: Now with nil and stuff like that, is gonna like, you know, well.
Speaker 3: They're gonn It's gonna keep him in the in the league a little longer, there's no question, But it's not a whole lot of money. Like if you're at Arizona, you're gonna make two two hundred and fifty thousand dollars and to me that's the world, right, But but to them it's you know, whatever. But there's a lot of dudes that aren't going to get drafted. I mean Nick Big for that two fifty Yeah, kind of like I would you know, So yeah, to your point, that's kind of where you were going to go with it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a lot of the guys stayed because they knew they weren't going to get the money. They weren't going to get drafted. I should say, so they would, you know, like Caleb Blove, maybe he'll you know, maybe he'll get drafted tonight. But even so he's going to go in, you know, if not, he'll go in as a free agent. And maybe he was making more money here without question, you know, without question. You know, they say, well, you know, how valuable is a fifth year senior these days?
Speaker 3: I mean there's very few where in the NBA. Oh yeah, not they're not. They haven't been, you know.
Speaker 4: I mean, look at the whole this was the youngest, second youngest draft class ever.
Speaker 3: Did you say that they're draft and they've always had draft on potential potential? Yeah, fifth year dudes, are you have to be really really good?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 3: Look at the Carter the who is the and I should know this, uh, the guard from Florida.
Speaker 9: Clayton, Clayton, that's him.
Speaker 4: He made it.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 3: My point is he four years Yeah, four years and he's kind of a rare dude. And he's a fantastic player, but you know he's a rare.
Speaker 2: Dude of four years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he kind of burst onto the scene at least to me. I mean, I you know, as much as I watch. I mean, all of a sudden, there he was on you just weekend because you noticed him more. I'm sure he was having a nice career going in.
Speaker 2: But yeah, well you know where he started, wasn't he in?
Speaker 9: Was it?
Speaker 4: Iona?
Speaker 2: Yeah? He was Rick Patino.
Speaker 3: I think so you kind of you know, bet on yourself. How many times did you hear that last night? Well you kind of at the end. But there was a bunch of dudes who bet on themselves. The guy from Washington State went ahead, I think of Carter Bright.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he but he transferred somewhere else.
Speaker 3: He was he was at Eastern Washington, even in smaller school before that. Division three went to Eastern Washington and went to Washington State. I didn't really know of him because he's out of the pack twelve anymore, so I didn't.
Speaker 2: Know of him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, that really is the case. It seems like a lot of these guys have bounced around and they've kind of bied their time, and some of them have been around for four or five years, but rarely do they get picked. If they do, they'll wind up, you know, maybe in the second round and then decide going free agent after that. But you look at the list, I mean, it's all a bunch of eighteen and nineteen year olds basically after one year.
Speaker 3: Well, Dave, I think this is a good question for you and for my guy, right, because we're different generations.
Speaker 2: Are you to watch it religiously?
Speaker 3: A long time ago part of your age stopped became my job unless I knew about Arizona players going in, and I kind of stopped. I watched Golden State and see the roster. But other than that or Arizona's when you look at a roster, Dave, and you were watching some playoff stuff, how many of those dudes did you recognize?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Not very many honestly.
Speaker 4: Now. I mean even as you're watching the NBA in its current form, you know, maybe I know a few of the guys on each team, but there's a lot of players coming from you know, overseas or you know, just kind of drifting into the league.
Speaker 2: In fact, I didn't.
Speaker 3: I have you google who the guard from Okay See was and where do you played school?
Speaker 2: And you said Texas A and.
Speaker 7: M Yeah, Caruso, Caruso.
Speaker 4: I forgot about that.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, he's he's made more headlines in the pros when he was on the Lakers. Know, the Lakers, he won a championship and he wins another one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 6: I'm I'm not too much of a regular season basketball guy.
Speaker 2: I don't know anybody that is.
Speaker 6: Well, it's just like they lit twenty with the play in. They let twenty teams into the playoffs, you know what I mean. So it's like, why am I going to watch when it's like you're letting more than half the teams in and then it's like still goes on for like a month and month and a half.
Speaker 3: True, it's true because the end of mid apy yeah, mid ap here we are at the end of June.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so it's like, I mean, I don't know, it kind of feels like why why watch the like keep up with the regular season?
Speaker 7: You know, know what teams are like doing?
Speaker 6: Okay, which ones are the ones to look out for the dark horses stuff like that. But I mean, other than that, it's like just there's too.
Speaker 4: Much other stuff going on for viewers. I mean, by the time we hit you know, May June, it's kind of that time of year where you know, football is long gone, right, right, and there is time to you know, actually sit in front of the set and that's mainly the only thing besides baseball and hockey and from into hockey. Yeah, but it's you know, it's kind of a slowist time of year.
Speaker 3: Anyway, Well, welcome to the slow time of year, because guess what I want to have on hockey? Hockey, hockey. It's at four seventeen. Steve Pippin, who's the coach of the road Runners. They asked to come on so you have a draft tomorrow, So they're going to talk about that and just the excitement about Tucson the Roadrunners. They're still affiliated with the Utah team, right, so we'll talk about that.
Speaker 2: They were pretty good last year. I think he looked the record, Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean they were over five hundred and they made the playoffs and you know, they they've been drawing pretty well. It's nice to have a you know, a secure franchise here in town. Looks like they'll be here for a while, which is which is good news.
Speaker 2: Hopefully I didn't.
Speaker 3: Jink some by saying that, but it's called it's called the the Dave Silver Jinks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I've been around for a lot of that stuff.
Speaker 3: He's he's eight throws in a row. He'll be all right with this one clank.
Speaker 4: One of these days, I'm actually gonna write. I'll write that down. How many teams have left? I'd talked about that. Yeah, there's quite a few.
Speaker 2: Ye you see the number of them volleyball.
Speaker 4: So I missed that. I wasn't even here for that. Oh, no softball, professional softball. Remember that fast pitch?
Speaker 2: Right? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was like right after There's been eighty Olympics later than that.
Speaker 2: I don't remember that then.
Speaker 3: Jessica Mendoza, Oh, I don't remember. I think she might have been on the here in Town team. Really was brief. I stept to that moment. You're too busy chasing Luke down. Yeah, no, Wow, I don't remember that. Maybe someone can call me. Okay, so we're gonna have pop in at four fifteen. We're not gonna have anybody at three seventeen. Everybody's too busy working in the draft. So tomorrow we'll have maybe a follow up on everything tomorrow. Uh, and we're gonna play a clip from Tommy after we come back from break. We did today, Okay, so I think it might have been last night. But okay, so well and you have it up, you can get that. Yeah, okay, so we'll do that after the break, Okay, at the Santi San Antonio or in New York.
Speaker 4: Yeah, in New York, New York, post draft.
Speaker 3: Then we'll do that. We'll do that. We'll do that before we go to the to the Caleb Love quote Tommy, Yeah, yeah, and why don't we just do that? Now, run out of steam here, come back in five minutes and then started.
Speaker 5: Okay, now right now, it's your chance to win. One thousand just entered this nationwide keyword on our website.
Speaker 10: Grand that's grand enter right now?
Speaker 11: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 2: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 11: Discover with Soul Casino Dell Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 7: Are you ready enterprise so Fasca Yucki Tribe.
Speaker 12: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browsey Aisles of Instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for ready to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece.
Speaker 7: We can help you select the perfect.
Speaker 12: Wood type, color and style and top it off with you meat hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the window deepot dot com. The window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 3: Steve Rivera here to talk about doratle Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work. I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Kib'll call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 13: Spring is in the air and the school year is coming.
Speaker 2: To a close.
Speaker 13: Time to order your academic and spring sports awards for your student athlete. Creative Awards with fifty two years as your top awards and promotional product supplier. Give them an award they can be proud of. They have trophies, plaques, acrylics, art class fine crystal, metal, name badges, stock and custom awards. Come visit the Creative Awards I Data Center at two twenty eight West TrackMan Street, across the street from PEMA College Downtown campus, or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 14: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, that's Volpe team dot com or called five two oh six eight five six two six Today in MLS three oh eight seven Arizona BKO Ninez two nine four two Equal Housing Opportunity. How to commitment to Lindrixson credit rates and available loan programs or subject to change without notice.
Speaker 15: Did you know collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at start or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards and trading card games. From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trus Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 13: Richard Bacall Law Office, defending Arizonans for over thirty years and a Wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard Bacall five two oh seven to four to ZHO twelve thirteen, brout sponsor of I on the Ball Go cats.
Speaker 10: Got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist that's can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 16: WI mining so important. It's the foundation of everything that defined the society. Everything you see is a product of mine, no matter when, no matter how, no matter why. Every society on this planet has developed, grown and modernized based solely on the minerals app process. That's why finding is so important.
Speaker 3: Dannivm dot com.
Speaker 12: Looking for quality windows without the weight, come to the Window Depot. We carry a huge selection of mill guard windows in stock now and ready for pickup. Need something custom no problem, From new construction to full home replacement. Will help you order the perfect mill guard windows built to fit your space, style and budget. Whether you're a homeowner or contractor, the Window Depot makes it easy to get the windows you need fast. Visit the window Deepot dot com to find a location near you and see why we're your mill guard window.
Speaker 5: Experts streaming live on the iHeartRadio app. This is Eye on the Ball with Steve Rovera on Fox sportsporteen fifty eight.
Speaker 3: Go back to why on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty I'm Steve Rivera, You're Dave Silver, You're Ray and now you can have control of last night's press conference with mister Carter.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, let's start second row relations.
Speaker 17: First, which former Supers players would you compare your game style to? I think immediately the first guy, I think it was Kawhi just his defensive versatility, being able to guard multiple positions early on his career. In just as you saw his progression, he became one of the best players in the world, arguably a top three player to be playing basketball at a time where I mean Kevin Durant, Steph Curry and Lebron were pretty.
Speaker 9: Much solidified to be the top three.
Speaker 18: But he was really making a statement that he was one of the best players of the world as well.
Speaker 19: First run in the middle, Hi'm moscazlogo the Daily Wild Hat.
Speaker 7: Congratulations.
Speaker 3: First of all, I'm betting drafted and how do you see yourself fitting in with the san Ajunio Spurs.
Speaker 2: And who are you most excited to play next to.
Speaker 18: I see myself, like I said, being a guy that can bring energy, toughness, physicality, somebody that's just going to show up on a consistent basis and just work his ass off. So in terms of that, I feel like that's what I bring in. I'm looking forward to playing with my guy d Hart. I mean it's been a long time coming. We had a lot of conversations throughout high school, whether I was trying to play together in college, just maybe playing together at some point. So for him to be my draft buddy and being able to both go in the lottery and be able to represent San Antonio, it is dope.
Speaker 2: Third growing the right. Hey Bencouch MBA dot com.
Speaker 20: What do you feel like you learned about the Spurs and what they're looking for you from the draft process, and then you know, with their history of developing players and where they are, what's the forward opportunity to.
Speaker 4: Look like for you.
Speaker 18: I think the first thing I immediately noticed is just top to bottom they just run different. I think that's something you notice immediately with that organization. There very clean, they get things done very quickly. They have very precise, and they have intention behind everything they do. And I think the clear message I got behind everything is they trying to get back to the top, so being able to win games at a very high level of being able to compete for a championship. So that's the first thing that I really got from the whole staff.
Speaker 9: First shot here on the left, Carter, Congratulations.
Speaker 21: Something you mentioned yesterday is that basketball is kind of weird, like a constant striving for perfection, right joining a young team like the Spurs, you know, how do you see that kind of helping you is you guys are all kind of learning this thing together.
Speaker 18: I think the biggest thing is there's so many guys on this team, obviously myself and Dylan, but along with obviously Wemby and Steph Castle and d Fox and Harrison and all these guys.
Speaker 9: There's so much room for growth for this team.
Speaker 18: And I think you're gonna look up and we could definitely be one of those dynasties that you look back on and you're going to be like, man, this is a hell of a hell of a team.
Speaker 9: First shot here on the left.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm first of all, I'm just wondering if you know how much this makes Seawn Elliott's day having Arizona Wildcat around.
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 4: And then uh, just also, how did how did you and Dylan meet?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 18: Wow, Dylan and I actually met playing AU tournament. We played in the New York Runs and I'll never forget. He was killing us, and I mean I was the biggest dude on our team, so coach had me.
Speaker 9: Guarding the five man.
Speaker 18: I was like, Coach, like, I promise you I could stop him. And I remember he came and walked over to the bench and he was like, I promise you, you can't stop me. So it kind of be in a full circuit moment for us to be on the same team.
Speaker 9: Now, I mean, I love that dude. He's a great dude. Great family.
Speaker 18: His father's always been great to me, always provided me with great just I don't even know the word I was looking for, but along with his mother, there's a great people, great family.
Speaker 8: Last real love Carter, Congratulations out at Sheena Quickie. A lot of sports talk. We talked yesterday about uplifting and highlighting the deaf community. Knowing yourself knowing sign language and your mom being deaf as well being deaf. Now that you are a professional player officially, Like, how do you see your role either changing or growing in terms of highlighting the deaf community. And do you see a lot of those people in the community who are NBA fans now being Spurs fans.
Speaker 18: No, definitely, I think I just want to bring more attention to whatever organization.
Speaker 9: I was blessed to be draft by.
Speaker 18: But obviously San Antonio just has a rich history of having a lot of intention but having everything they do. But I don't think my mentality towards it changes in terms of the deaf community. It's something that's always going to be important to me and always has been important to me. But I mean, I had my family, the Valenciva Scoopy Acts up in the crowd, and I saw them when I was going to do my interviews and I looked up and they were all there, signed and I love you. So I'm more than grateful for them and just everything they've taught me.
Speaker 9: For sure, I had left him.
Speaker 21: Yeah, I had a chance to talk to several players yesterday about the idea of playing next to Victor Webbin Yama. You know what is it that excites you most about, you know, playing with a guy with his skill set, his size is ranging.
Speaker 18: I mean, I'm gonna just start off defensively because that's why that's what I love to do.
Speaker 9: I mean, I feel like I can just be ultra aggressive.
Speaker 18: Obviously, you got to be smart, but just having the mental stability of knowing you kind of have a monster back there behind you that's gonna deter everything from the front of the rim. It gives me an opportunity to just be an elite defender and kind of push my limits, especially on the ball.
Speaker 9: So I think with.
Speaker 18: That being the case, I'm just ready to be active and be able to contribute defensively immediately and offensively. He's a guy that I like to use the word gravity. He's takes all the gravity in the room. So him being that type of player, I mean, it's gonna open up so many opportunities for myself dealing and so many guys on this roster for us to grow.
Speaker 17: I'm just looking forward to picking his brain. Sec how much run are you gonna give the letting them the race for Rookie of the Year.
Speaker 9: I mean, one of us gonna get it.
Speaker 18: So whether it's one or two or whoever gets it, doesn't matter.
Speaker 9: I'm just trying to win basketball games at a high level.
Speaker 22: Second round the right carter not the most important thing in the entire world. But you did rock number nine in college, sir. You can't rock nine on the Spurs. It's retired by obviously the legend Tony Parker.
Speaker 2: What number you gonna rock?
Speaker 21: I don't know.
Speaker 9: I gotta look at who has with numbers on the team. I don't know. That's a great question.
Speaker 2: Is that like a number that stands out in your mind.
Speaker 9: Like I might be meaningful to you. I know, Steph got five. That's my dog.
Speaker 18: I'm not getting that off of them.
Speaker 9: I don't I don't know. Does d Fox were four?
Speaker 2: Yeap?
Speaker 18: I can't get four and four plus five for nine when we got the one.
Speaker 9: Dylan for sure gonna have two.
Speaker 18: If nobody has two, I'm gonna have to figure something out.
Speaker 2: All good, All right, thank you, Curner. That was good stuff. What do you notice about his answers?
Speaker 3: I don't know what he's looking for. He seems pretty sharp, pretty quick. That that, and he's a very thoughtful guy. I mean he's not a hey, look at me guy. He's like, you know, very soft spoken. That's how he was at press conferences. Unfortunately we didn't get to know. The only guy that really did get to know was probably Bruce because he troubled with the team. But you know, he's they're at the podium. It's very very not transparent.
Speaker 2: It's very uh what do you call it water down?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, so you get what you get and everybody gets the same stuff and then you have to write this stuff.
Speaker 2: But there's that.
Speaker 3: So you see a very soft spoken, uh sincere guy.
Speaker 4: He pulled out that Kawhi Leonard answer pretty quickly too. I wonder how much he thought about that. But I mean, you know, referring to Lebron and Carmelo or something and Steph All kind of being at the top of their game, and you know, Kawhi kind of stepped in and try to become a superstar himself.
Speaker 2: But he's going into a team that's.
Speaker 4: Got, you know, obviously great history of championships, and you know there seem to be building. They've got the number two pick, they get the number fourteen pick, and whatever else they get tonight, right, Victor Wehn, Banaya Mayana whatever his name is, coming back from injury. You know, a new coach. Popovich is going to be stepping down.
Speaker 3: We'll talk more about him in a second. We're gonna go take a listen to the question I asked, you know what, what time is it?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 7: How much time we have in the break?
Speaker 2: Okay, let's do that.
Speaker 3: So we'll go to my question to Tommy about Caleb after we talked to Vinnie and we got to.
Speaker 2: Take this break.
Speaker 3: Anyway, We're gonna get Vinie Vinceta, who a former UA not U, a local TV guy. Uh, you know, so he's in San Antonio. He's gonna be on with us for like for five minutes. So let's take the break, get on, get with him for five minutes, and then go to the kleb Love question.
Speaker 2: If you're an.
Speaker 3: Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Loudolsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot, it was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired fire them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach lessons from net is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 15: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 19: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the.
Speaker 2: Leading edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 13: On twenty second, this quest of wilmot what's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. FEMA Community College can help you make someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule, with over one hundred programs to choose from. In financial data fail, it's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at PEMA dot edu slash someday, Hey.
Speaker 3: Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmond Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Tamble or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 2: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 15: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 19: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve.
Speaker 22: Arizona Health the lead Manage an exercise requortment On twenty second just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 7: Craving.
Speaker 23: Tucson's Best Burger, The Fourth Avenue Legend is back. Lindy's on Fourth is celebrating twenty years, and Lindy himself is back behind the grill. We've got new mouthwatering burgers and great daily drink specials. Don't miss our upcoming twentieth anniversary, Summer Bash and year end celebration. So come down to Lindy's on Fourth or order online at l fourth dot com. Lindy and Tucson's Best Burger are waiting.
Speaker 24: At Pyramid Federal Credit Union. We believe less is more, lis Pies need more money in your pocket, Liz Hassle means more time for what matters, and less stress means more confidence in your financial future. Pyramids a lesson this more philosophy is coming to your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the two Sun Spectrum. Verymit Federal Card at Union where less is more, federally insured and by NCUA an equal opportunity lender.
Speaker 5: Steve Rivera He's got his eye on the ball on Tucson's sports station, Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back to Iye on the Ball. Here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. You're Dave Silver. We got ready the controls. We're gonna go to San Antonio. Here in the second get ahold of child thirteen righteen eleven. Vinnie Vencetta, who's out in San Antonio. He has about five minutes for us, because he does at six o'clock.
Speaker 2: Vinnie is issue. Oh you're not on okay, Oh, here we are.
Speaker 25: Here's the.
Speaker 4: Minnie.
Speaker 2: Hey, this is Stephen Dave Silver, So gentlemen, how are you?
Speaker 25: Oh sir, I'm glad the Spurs are going to stay quiet tonight. Last night was enough.
Speaker 4: Well, they have no picks. They have no picks tonight.
Speaker 25: They traded their thirty eighth to Indiana yesterday, like thirty minutes for the draft started. All right, okay, well, and I told Brian I guess Brian Wright said it's going to be quiet tonight. So I guess they're just going to sit back and watch what happened.
Speaker 3: Oh nice, Well, your busy night included an Arizona guy. What was the reaction down there after getting Arizona's guy?
Speaker 25: I've seen Steve mixed reaction. Some say, oh, the project ship him off to Austin immediately. I've heard others say he's a three and D guy who comes off the bench right now. So it's been kind of right down the middle. In listening to Brian Wright's the GM's comments from late last night, they do believe that he can guard one through four and and they like his ability to hit to hit three pointers. So I think they probably view it as a little bit of a long term project, but they love the athleticism. The one thing that he did say, people asked him what surprised him, and he said he was surprised that Carter was there at fourteen. He said, we had him high on our board, so it really kind of felt like it fell into our laps and we felt fortunate that he was there at fourteen. So they obviously had a high grade on Carter Bryant.
Speaker 4: It was kind of interesting too, because this last and only year he played. You know, I don't think he ever started a game. He didn't play a lot of minutes, he didn't score a lot of points. But you know, it seems like the NBA will draft on potential. Do you think this is just another example of that.
Speaker 25: I guess that I sort of wanted to turn that question around on you guys. I mean, for a guy that came off the bench in Tucson, it's crazy to me that he winds up being a lottery pick. I mean, how did Tommy. I haven't had a chance to listen to Lloyd's comments yet, but Damien from KOLB is actually sending those my way. But how did Tommy feel about him during the pre draft process?
Speaker 2: Exactly what you would think.
Speaker 3: A very good kid, well spoken, a thoughtful guy can play a great athletic ability. He just didn't get a chance. But here's the situation with Tommy. Uh, he Carter was very raw early and very timid. He didn't want to ruffle any feathers. So Tommy had established his starting lineup right, uh, and then he kind of eased him in a little and he started to gain more confidence by that time. Tommy didn't want to screw with a starting lineup, so he didn't move him into the starting lineup, but he moved him into the more playing time rule, if that makes any sense. So instead of roughly feathers, he just kind of eased him in.
Speaker 25: Yeah, that's that's that's an interesting point. And some people think that Carter maybe can be like you know, Bruce Bowen, you know, just kind of hang there in the corner, hit corner threes and then really d up on your defensive assignment. Richard Jefferson, one of your guys did that to an extent, not as well as Bowen. Didn't hear with the Spurs that they kind of view him as a guy that just kind of find your spots, find your threes, don't be the hero, take him when you got them, and really focus on defense. And he's also excited too, because I guess he's known Dylan Harper. I wouldn't say for a while. They're both they're both only nineteen, but they knew each other in high school ball. So it's kind of a cool connection between the second overall pick there, Harper and Carter.
Speaker 4: As I said, they have a nice little nucleus going with Victor. And how's Victor's health? Has anyone heard from him in the off season?
Speaker 25: That was the very last question of Brian Wright last night, And well, well, first of all, I'll answer the way you asked there, Dave, Victor's been active. He spent some time at a at a temple overseas. I think with some monks and kind of kind of kept finding his zen moment. He's been active all all over the world. He's been traveling everywhere, and he's been seen all over creation, so he looks fine. Brian Wright did say the very last thing he was asked at his press conference was about Victor said, I don't want to divulge too much, but I'll just say that he's progressing fine and we expect big things out of him. So as bad as the shoulder of from brosis, if if that's what it was, if memory serves as bad as that was off the top, and it sounds like Victor will be on time to be at training camp in September.
Speaker 3: October before before you go of any you've talked about someone saying or a couple of people saying that they're viewing him as a project and why not shipping up to Austin. Are those, in your mind credible people that you would trust saying that? Because it all comes about credibility from the people who are saying that.
Speaker 25: I think they're lifelong media members that have been here a long time, that have seen the Spurs way and the Spurs culture of doing things. So I'll give you An example Corey Joseph, a draft picked from a number of years ago at the University of Texas who came in while the duncan Era was still going. He actually went to coach Pop at some point and said to please, I'm not ready, send me to Austin. Let me learn the professional ways. And when he came back you could see how well their player development works.
Speaker 4: So Carter's got to.
Speaker 25: Know and they will let him know if we send you to Austin. This is not a bad thing. We're getting you ready for the big club on a nightly basis. So not saying he'll spend some time there, it wouldn't shock me if he does. If he does, it's it's only for the very best reasons that he would go up to Austin for for whatever the period of time is.
Speaker 3: Well, the good thing from your end is that you're getting a good kid, a well spoken kid, a.
Speaker 2: Good story with with his history and his.
Speaker 3: Family's history of the death, and has been an advocate for it.
Speaker 2: Right. I don't even know how to say it, but you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 25: So you I heard him asked about I heard him ask about that last night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, for sure, so, and you in your world it's it's a good story, so you'll find good stories.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there were some like Instagram stories I think with sign language, you know, announcing the draft if you will. So, yeah, he's really an advocate for that, so it'll be a good story for you guys.
Speaker 25: So they have a nonprofit here in the city a greater San Antonio called Lighthouse for the Blind. So it wouldn't shock me if he's if he's as good a kid as you say he is, that he actually winds up getting involved in helping out the local community here. Yeah, no, he's I guess it's definitely.
Speaker 9: I guess it's deaf. Sorry, sorry, not flind deaf.
Speaker 3: Okay, just lastly, how are you doing. It's been a while since you've we've seen you here in Tucson.
Speaker 25: Going going good, going good. I had had a crazy run with our with our UTSA baseball team. They were a couple of wins away from the from the CWS went out and got swept by uh by UCLA and the super But they had a historical run. They never had a run like that in program history. So we were busy with that and I was excited to see the Wildcats get back to Omaha. I know it was kind of a short stay, but good to see their program back at the CWS. They're one of those, they're one of those you expect to get to Omaha quite a bit.
Speaker 3: Can I ask you a dumb question, Two you've gone, You've been done almost ten years now.
Speaker 2: I think maybe even more.
Speaker 25: But my fourteenth year, fourteenth gone a long time.
Speaker 3: So let me ask you, is minus minus the Spurs? Uh is Tucson and San Antonio similar sports town?
Speaker 25: So high school football is just it's almost bigger than the second religion here, Steve, it is a massive, big deal. High school sports in San Antonio is a really big deal. And so I would say they're a little bit different.
Speaker 4: In that way.
Speaker 25: The UTSA is not near as big of a deal as the u of A is in Tucson, but kind of aesthetically, they're both outdoor communities and you know, kind of you know, San Antonio is obviously a massive tourist destination. You can say that about Tucson, but they're both outdoor cities, a lot of things to do, So maybe maybe in that way, but you know, the big ticket has always been the Spurs. No matter what is happening, But we do have a lot of events roll through here. PGA just had another Final four back in March or early April, whatever it was, as you guys know, so it's a very very very happening place. Anytime I think it's going to slow down for five minutes and sports, it does not.
Speaker 3: Well right in your wheelhouse. Man, Thank you Benny for coming on real quick. Good to hear from you.
Speaker 21: Yeah, you guys too.
Speaker 25: I love Dave Silver being back on the broadcast. Mike is exciting.
Speaker 17: Love.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, you know what, keep that.
Speaker 3: We're gonna keep your phone number handy just in case as we get closer to the NBA c.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean when his training camp rolls on, it will be good to catch up.
Speaker 2: You'll be our Senatonio me anytime.
Speaker 25: I appreciate the opportunity.
Speaker 3: San Antonio correspondent, Vinnie, Thank you, Vinny, you got to take care.
Speaker 2: That was great. That was great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, nothing different than you probably thought you'd hear. Right about Carter.
Speaker 4: No, I mean, you know, we kind of know the scouting report and his personality that at least we've been able to see, so you know, he's gonna be asked to do a lot more of that, the interviews, and they'll be doing feature stories on him, you know, as you know they get closer to training camp and the comparisons to other great Spurs players, They've got such a history there that they.
Speaker 2: Can look at.
Speaker 4: It just reminds me of you know, Sean when he got here and you know whatever, it was eighty nine.
Speaker 2: So let me throw this at you.
Speaker 3: Uh, they're gonna get two guys, right, they got the second guy fourth round, was first second pick, second pick, and a fourteen guy. So let's remember Miami last year they got two you guys, Larson and kid from San Diego State.
Speaker 2: You should know this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay, so they got and we thought, okay, they're gonna they might make it.
Speaker 2: They might not make it. They might be in the D League.
Speaker 3: They played I think a considerable amount in the in the Miami my system.
Speaker 4: I have a good feeling about Carter. I don't know what it is. I can see him playing, you know, in Vegas or whatever, these you know, wherever these games are going to be in the summer, in him shining. You know, he's gonna be kind of let loose. I mean, even when I was here, you know, he was kind of deferring to some of the older guys. But now they're all rookies basically or first or second year players.
Speaker 3: I expect him to do well. Do you have the roster up? Can you find the roster? Yeah, because that's what it's gonna matter, right when? Yeah, where does he fill in?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean they've got a lot of young players.
Speaker 4: They also have dearon Fox and they got Victor and now these two rookies kind of, you know, expected to contribute. I would assume at least the number two pick will.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And if if you're a first round pick, they they're spending money on you, right, They're hoping that you pan out, not like if you're a second round well we'll just move you and do whatever, put you in the D League. Yeah, but now they're obligated financially.
Speaker 4: They got a new coach basically, you know, just took over for Greg Popovich, who've been there forever. He's got a lot to prove. He's gonna want to make his mark these NBA teams. Look what Oklahoma City has basically done with a lot of young guys. They're the youngest, maybe the second youngest team ever to win the championship. So, I mean, teams are blossoming pretty quickly. So what are you what do you look at their roster?
Speaker 6: Well, yes, I do have the roster pulled up, but it's just like I just started thinking about the like after okayc one, and it's they didn't even know how to pop the bottles.
Speaker 2: They they didn't know.
Speaker 4: I'm like, man, so SGA's howled he's he's he's one of the older ones. But everybody else a bunch of kids.
Speaker 2: What do they have on that roster?
Speaker 6: Getting Victor obviously, it says Chris Paul, but I don't I think he's still there? Yeah, darn Felt, Darren Fox obviously, Dylan Harper from Rutgers that got picked yesterday, Stefan Castle, Harrison Barnes.
Speaker 9: There, and then the other notable one.
Speaker 7: I feel like his Bismac beyonmbo.
Speaker 2: Okay, who I.
Speaker 4: Mean he would be playing Harrison Barnes position. I would think, yeah, you know, I would assuming that he's gonna go up and down, up and down, you know, get some playing time, come back. Yeah, it's probably the smartest thing to do. I would guess if that's what he wants to do. Or if that's what they think, you know, he would he would develop better by going to play in the G League. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't pay attention too much until they come back up. I say this all the time, at least before you came on, Dave and to Jay. And this is my experience of covering the u of a basketball. If you're good enough, no matter the numbers, they're gonna get you. You remember Robertus Jack Tobas. Oh, yeah, back in the day, he didn't really play a whole lot.
Speaker 2: He was kind of a stiff, big dude.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 3: Guess where he went San Antonio, Right, but he was drafted. Uh, he didn't play that much here. Did he have an impact? Not really, but he was he was NBA kind of good. That makes any sense?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean once they get open, kind of away from the Arizona program and they go into these combines, they go to the visit the teams. You know, maybe they're looking for something we just didn't notice, or maybe you know, coach Elson didn't want to play them, didn't have room for him at the time.
Speaker 2: Who knows.
Speaker 25: Well.
Speaker 3: The one thing that I do know, because they mentioned a number of times infecting the my fourth book or whatever it was. The hundred things that that the NBA teams, at least for Loot's time, that they knew they were ready to play in the NBA because they knew the fun them, they knew how to play the game. And you know that you've heard that a thousand times that the guys, you didn't have to kind of shock them with something.
Speaker 2: They've seen it.
Speaker 4: One of the beauties too, and we've talked about this as well through our time, is you know the guys would come back in the summer, You know that the pros would come back and they would play with the UFA guys, they'd scrimmage with, and I think I'm sure that helped. You know, we don't know, we're not really listening to their conversations, but just having a guy like Richard Jefferson or Channing fry Er, people like that have played for almost twenty years each to come back and mentor and just tell some of these guys who think they know it all.
Speaker 3: First they're eighteen, and you know, first of all, kick your ass in the in the summer league right then, and then tell you this is what you need to say.
Speaker 2: They would come back.
Speaker 4: Remember they would come back even back in the day, they'd be camper I mean, coaches at the Lootse camp and some of the guys would come back occasionally.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't know if that's all even allowed anymore, but it was. It was kind of cool in those years where they were able to, you know, give some advice. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay, So now we're going to go to like question because there's another guy left. There's a couple of talentsend name was mentioned. I don't think he'll be drafted. The question is whether Caleb Love will be drafted. So a couple of weeks ago, when we had a chance to talk to Tommy, I threw a question at him. I guess something you kind of did like, but it was I don't think I thought it was a legit question. Tuition obviously two great years here, nowhere near anybody's sights of NBA stuff.
Speaker 2: Just what do you really who are you talking to?
Speaker 9: You?
Speaker 26: And I must be talking to different people. Cab is going to be in the NBA next year, is going to be in the NBA. I have no doubt about him. And and you know, there's this part of the evaluation process where you know, scouts are out doing their thing, and you know gms are and stuff too and check up. But it's very scout driven early and you know, you know, I recruited and coached and then left and he continued to play at Gonzai. Guy kid named Andrew Demhart. And you couldn't have told me Andrew Demhart wasn't going to be a good NBA player. I would have never I was. I would have argued with you all day long because I knew he was gonna be a good NBA player. And eventually, when these decisions get worked up to you know, coaches and the top front office guys, they might think a little differently than the scouts. And I knew once a coach Andrewnimhart, he was going to be like, what's wrong with this guy?
Speaker 2: This guy makes the right decision every time. He's tough.
Speaker 26: He's a great team guy. I mean, like, you know, he's good size, Like, show me one thing that's wrong with him. And I think that turned out pretty well. I have Caleb in the same thing. I think, you know, you know, the the right person is going to kind of get outside of the maybe some of the things that you're reading and they're going to make a well informed basketball decision from a basketball expert, and they're going to be like, Caleb Love's really talented. I don't know how many guys can go out and score thirty five points easy on Duke.
Speaker 2: I mean, don't he showed you something there?
Speaker 25: You know what?
Speaker 26: He might be a little inconsistent some of there, but I know there's not too many guys that can do that. And sometimes when you're evaluating and building a team, when a guy shows you a ceiling, you pay attention. Wow, he can score thirty five on Duke in an Insaney tournament game. What's just dig deeper on this one and dig deeper and then figure out how can I get this guy to hit his ceiling more often? And you know, how can I raise his floor? That's what those guys do. So I'm I'm I'm very confident in Caleb's opportunity to that He's going to earn an opportunity to be on an NBA roster, and then then from there he's got to make.
Speaker 2: The best of it.
Speaker 3: So I don't disagree with anything he said, especially the end five seconds, because he kind of walked it back, didn't he Yeah, you know he's gonna be in the NBA.
Speaker 2: He started with, and I'm not criticized. I'm just saying what he said, he's.
Speaker 3: Gonna be in the NBA, and then in the final seconds he's gonna get the opportunity.
Speaker 2: I have no doubt about that. He'll be.
Speaker 3: He'll be if he's not drafted tonight, He'll get a free agency chance tonight. By the end of the night, somebody will sign him, and then he'll get ready for the summer. That's undeniable. So it was kind of like really strong, really strong, and then he says, well, he's gonna get a chance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I think too.
Speaker 4: As I was saying before, I think you get them in the summer league games, you get them with the teams, get them, you know, closer to some of his potential teammates, and let him run wild in the summer the league and see how he goes. He's got nothing to lose. Really, he's not going to get picked.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: You go out there and do show what you can do. If it doesn't work out, you go g lee, you go to Europe or something like that. Maybe you come back or so. But what I'm afraid of sometimes these guys once they leave the country and they go to Europe, they stay for a long time.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, and then well the thing is they make a good living living. Here's my issue with kilob I think he's a fantastic player, and I wasn't asking the question for criticism. I'm says, this is what I've seen. There's nobody's on it. He's not on anybody's list. And he says, who are you looking at? And I says, well, it's the same one are the list of saying this, what do I have any I don't want a dog in the fight.
Speaker 2: But here's the guy.
Speaker 3: He goes to the combine, or doesn't go to the combine, doesn't get invited to go further, get sent to the D league thing. That's not my decision, right, that's their decision. So I'm thinking, what does he need to do after a year going to the NBA to test the waters?
Speaker 2: Does that make sense to me? What does he lack?
Speaker 4: I don't I don't know. I mean, I think I think now just the opportunity to get on, get onto a roster, get into one of most summer league situations, get into a place where he can play his game. You know away from Arizona and now it's just you know your yourself at this point.
Speaker 2: I mean, you're trying to make the team.
Speaker 4: There's only going to be a couple of roster spots open on any of these teams besides the top picks. Right, It's not like he's gonna have really a great chance just mathematically to make a team, especially when you come in as a free agent.
Speaker 2: That's what made it so much.
Speaker 4: Remarkable, so remarkable with with Pella Keyshot last year. I guess they were drafted, but still, you know, sure's not a lot of spots.
Speaker 2: There's not a lot of spots.
Speaker 3: And you have teams like San Antonio who are not obligated, but they have they're financially obligated to play the people they drafted.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 4: There's some incentive to paying a lot of money to you know, de Aaron Fox and Wamby those guys are you know, taking up all the cash.
Speaker 2: But lets it like what Boston's done.
Speaker 4: They've just just getting rid of player after player because it's they're they're paying you know, way too much and the NBA salaries are out of hand and that's just the way it is. But you know, when you're when you have this chance, you might as well take advantage of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, into to Tommy's point, I don't disagree with anything he said, uh saying what are you reading? What are you reading that Caleb is a fantastic talent. You suled to put thirty five on dupe? Yeah, you can play right right, Well.
Speaker 2: You could do these things.
Speaker 3: If people see you, they like what you do, you'll you'll find a spot of nothing to disagree with Tommy on any of that, because he's exactly right now.
Speaker 2: The chance is give me that chance. Just give me that chance.
Speaker 4: Well, hopefully you know the team's he's I'm sure he's got help with you know, his agents or whoever you know, scoping out you know, the best opportunity. You know, he's gonna want to go to a team that maybe isn't gonna have you know, five shooting guards already lined up ahead of him. You know, he wants to go to a place that's gonna give him a chance to show what he can do. Especially you know, I set it over and over here. Just get in those some of these summer league gas where they play you know, five to six games and show what you can do. And hopefully stick somewhere on some roster.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, it's gonna be it's gonna be tough, but you know, hey, uh it's it's in the NBA. There are very few jobs in the NBA worldwide, right, you.
Speaker 4: Know, basically fifteen per team about it, right.
Speaker 2: Right, So five hundred spots. You better be good at what you do.
Speaker 4: You're getting paid guys like Lebron and Kevin Duran who don't want to give it up.
Speaker 2: I mean they're also they're playing in their twentieth seasons.
Speaker 3: There's that point, right, And we had Justin Gardner on yesterday and he says, you know, how could you not? I mean, here's the player of the year in the ACC right back in a couple three years ago, his player of the year in the Pack twelve Pack twelve twelve, and then a pretty good player here this last year. How did he not nick a roster? Yeah, because there was a ton of good players out there. Of the twenty or thirty people that got thirty people that got drafted last night, how many did you actually know?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean half no.
Speaker 6: And then like the other thing too, to go along with that is like the international players that doesn't even go to school.
Speaker 4: Here, right that it's like, and that's happening a lot. I remember how much we happened. There was a guy last night that was drafted, guy from China draft.
Speaker 3: And there was a video. He's like sitting up in the rafters. He wasn't even down on the floor. There was I think he was the last guy, last guys there in the end.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he thought he was going to be a Day two guy. Okay, and in the blue suit, I think it was it might have been what I thought, why yeah, ok no, that.
Speaker 2: Was the handsome guy.
Speaker 3: The other guy came out in the blue suit coming from the comming from the rafters or yeah, decide, but.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that was pretty funny.
Speaker 6: But I mean, like, right exactly a point where it's like everybody's trying to get these coveted spots and it's like you are great, but you got to realize like this, like this ain't a pond anymore, this is an ocean.
Speaker 7: Like you gotta be a big fish in the ocean.
Speaker 3: Sure at this point, sure, no matter how good you are and even circumstances. Yeah, Cory Williams talked about this yesterday. He was ready to go for Milwaukee, and I didn't know the story. He was ready to go be on the roster from Milwaukee for the summer Magic Johnson had some players that asked for a favorite to be on the roster. Those guys said, sorry, I'm gonna take these other guys from Magic because he's a friend of mine.
Speaker 2: Whatever.
Speaker 3: And he found out, guess what, it's a business, and guess what the NBA is, It's a business.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I mean, if you're not drafted, the draftees obviously have an advantage just you know, because they were just picked, so they're priority. But when you're coming in as one of you know, maybe seven or eight three eight that are going to be on that summer league thing, sure, you know, you really have to shine. So that's where I like, you know, Caleb, I think because he can't, you know, I think if he freelances a little bit.
Speaker 2: And just if he can get hot, we know what he can do. Yeah. Well, I guarantee you, Dave.
Speaker 3: I'll bet you whatever money you want to bet that at the end of tonight's draft, you're gonna hear for the ones that for the ones that weren't drafted. The good thing and the positive thing you could pick the team you're gonna want to go to because it's a better fit, you know. So some people might enjoy that better than not getting drafted, because then you're obligated to go to that team or take a chance on yourself and go to a team that you can find a way.
Speaker 4: Yep, that's that's the way it's going to be. He's not picked, he's going somewhere.
Speaker 2: He's going.
Speaker 4: Sure, there's no gonna be a matter of minutes after the draft ends, like, oh, he just signs a free agent and that's too.
Speaker 3: Tommy's point. At the end, he's gonna get a chance. Yeah, okay, I know, we got to go