Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on WBSY Boston News Radio.
Speaker 2: You're exactly right to call. That is our destination, and we're about three hours and fifteen minutes out, that's for sure. So sit back and enjoy. Put your seatbelts in the upright position, and bring down your table trays, and we'll serve you up four hours of conversation and talk and you can participate, or you can listen and prefer your participation. I'd like invite your participation. My name is Dan Ray, host of the Night Side. Dan is back in the control room. Did a great job last night. He's going to do a great job tonight. And without any further ado, I will remind you we will be giving away two tickets to a musical, a musical journey with the Irish music sensations Celtic Thunder, right after the nine o'clock news, So don't call. We're not going to open up those phone lines until after the nine o'clock news because we have four very interesting guests with four very interesting topics to deal with, and we're going to start off tonight quite quite beginning with the president of the Pine Street in Lyndia Downey Lindia. I don't think we've ever had you on our program before, but everybody knows the Pine Street In and what a great job that does for homeless men here in the city of Austin. How are you tonight? Welcome?
Speaker 3: I'm good, Dan? How are you good?
Speaker 2: Fine? How long you been the president? There is this? I don't think I've had the pleasure of talking with you before. Tell us a little bit about yourself. First, You're involvement with the Pine Street In.
Speaker 3: So I've been at Pine Street believe it or not, for forty years. Dan. I was ten when I first went to work there, and I've.
Speaker 2: Been president as president that I know.
Speaker 3: No, No, I did not. I did not, No, I did not. I ran the mens Shelter, I worked in the volunteer department, I ran our fundraising office, oversaw a number of our programs, and so I've been president for about twenty years.
Speaker 1: Whoa boy.
Speaker 2: I don't know how I missed you, but I'm first of all thank you for that length of service. Pine Street In is an institution in Boston and every October they they put out a call and you call it October, which encourages donations for homeless shelters. It should be patently obvious why socks are so important to people who live, particularly those who spend more time than perhaps any of us should outdoor during the winters here in New England. But tell us about the history of October. I assume this is not the first year, and if it is the first year, I apologize. Go right ahead.
Speaker 3: No, you know, Dan, this was not our idea. This was really created by a guy in Tennessee named Brad Marshand who is a children's writer. And there's a guy.
Speaker 2: That plays for the Burns named Brad Marshan. I'm sure, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Not the same It's not the same person. No, no, But he has a kid's website and we're you know, talk to kids about giving back and things they can do in their community. And he and I think some school kids down in Tennessee came up with this idea. We get a lot of calls from schools, churches, synagogues, what can we do to help and for younger students, younger kids, you know, they can't always come into Pine Street and we always need stocks. So he really started this campaign across the country. I think he's got people in Canada doing it. And other parts of the world where school it's been mostly schools, but schools and different businesses are involved in collecting socks for homeless people and bringing them to the local homeless shelter. And you know, if you call us and ask what's our number one need right now heading into the winter, socks is always on the list, hats, gloves, but we go through a lot of socks. It's not a new issue for us. Frankly, We've been collecting socks as long as I've been at Pine Street, but it's not something people always think of right away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I assume the socks you're looking for. And if I'm wrong here, because they've been wrong a couple of times in this conversation already, don't hesitate to correct me. But I assume you're looking for heavier type socks that will really keep people warm in the winter, as opposed to, you know, the light summer socks that you know people might wear to fancy summer parties.
Speaker 3: Yeah, honestly, the best socks, if people are going to do this, are are the are the white cotton socks, you know, the thick white cotton socks right now? Yeah, No, they're they're warm you know, a lot of our folks have foot is shoes. They may not have shoes that fit exactly right. You know, the shoes might be used, especially for people who stay out. You we've got a lot of health issues, and the clinic in particular, really uh, you know, pushes us to if we're going to to be asking for socks. If people are willing to do white socks will take any of them, but white sox are the preferred and you know, easy to find hopefully, because Oliver, what percentage.
Speaker 2: Of your clients will come in on a winter's night without the benefit of appearance? Yeah, I mean are they actually people? And I know this is a tough question to ask, but I'm going to ask it. Are there actually people who are out of the men out of the streets of Boston during the winter, you know, snow and rain and sleet and all of that, and.
Speaker 3: They they men and women, by the way, not just men, men and women. And Boston we are very fortunate. Every year when we do the homeless count, we go out with Mayor and we count the number of people on the street, and then we count the number of people staying in shelter on one night, usually at the end of January, and that is done across the entire country. That dad all gets sent up to HUD and then they have someone who literally analyzes all of it. And for many many years now, I mean well more than probably ten years, Boston has had one of the lowest street counts in the country. And it may be obviously it's cold here, right, yes, it's interesting, exactly exactly, and people say to me, you know, well, it's cold, of course people are going to come in. But if you look at our numbers, you know, on a cold winter night, we might have one hundred and one hundred and fifty people outside. If you look at a place like maybe a San Francisco, Portland, Oregon, you're talking about ten thousand people or in some cases twenty one.
Speaker 2: You're temperate in those communities. And of course we'll also best and you have the great Rosies Place as well, So I mean, we we've got some great facilities here, thank god, because of the work of people like you and you volunteers, and the folks at Rosy's Place as well. So if folks are listening right now and they want to make a donation, easier for them to send a check to Pine Street in or to go out and buy some socks and bundle it up and you can pick from column A or column B. Go right ahead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, no, No. What I'd say is, look, we always appreciate, appreciate financial support. It's going to be a tough winter we have had. Our numbers are quite high across the state, not just in Boston, and we are everybody, I think is trying to figure out can we add more beds for the winter. So financial support is terrific. It's easy and go on our website. You can send us a check, I would say. For the school groups and where you want to get kids involved, you know we have CCD classes, we have Sunday school classes, and you know we often get call saying what can we do? This is a great project for school kids to do a sock drive, you know, make it fun, make a day of it, read a story about homelessness, and you know there's there's some education that can go along with this as well. So that's how I would think about it. But of course we can use both. So we're happy that with anything people can offer.
Speaker 2: And the Pine Street in easy address if someone's going to be able to check in is. I'm sure if you just Pine Street in Boston you'll get it, but want to give us a better address than that.
Speaker 3: Yes, four four four Harrison Avenue, Boston, mass And the website is just Pine Street in dot Org.
Speaker 2: Wish of course has all the information that is available. Lindia, thank you very very much, and congratulations on your twentieth year as the president of Pine Street in Well.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having us well. I really appreciate it. Thanks so much.
Speaker 2: We'll have you back, you know, as we move in through the winter, because I think it's good to remind people when we're in the comfort of our the warmth of our own homes, that not everybody is in a comfortable, warm home. Although many people are in you know, the Pine Street in there are some who are are They're not in a location that provides them with comfort, that's for sure, out in the streets of greater Boston. Thanks Lindya. I appreciate your time so much. Thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Take care, Thank you, Okay, you too.
Speaker 2: When we get back, we're going to talk with Nicole Spencer. She's the executive director of a group called Heroes in Transition, honoring veterans at mashbe Commons at dedication event coming up this Sunday, Sunday, November three, So if you're down on the South Shore, you want to harken close to your radio and pay attention. Back on Nightside with the executive director of Heroes in Transition Nicole Spencer. Right after this on Nightside, you're listening to w BZ, Boston's News radio ten thirty and your AM dial. Feel free to join the conversation, but wait until after nine o'clock. We got some great topics coming up tonight. We will be talking about haunted houses, haunted homes and how difficult it is sometimes to sell those homes. And we'll also talk with Dave Paleologus of Suffolk University. We talked last night with Spencer Kimball of Emerson College and we get the latest from them their take on the race as we move now pretty soon it will be five days until next Tuesday. Coming back Night's Side.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: I'm delighted to welcome Nicole Spencer. Nicole is the executive director of Heroes in Transition. Nicole, Welcome to night Side. Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for having me and it's really an honor to speak with you tonight.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you. Tell us about Heroes in Transition. I I'm sure there are many in our audience who are familiar with the group, but maybe some who are not.
Speaker 4: Absolutely so. Heroes in Transition was founded in two thousand and nine and actually just about fifteen years ago this weekend, Ken and Cindy lost their son in Afghanistan. He was a helicopter pilot. He was supporting a combat mission there, and when they brought Eric Holm for his final time here, they knew that he They wanted to keep his mission of assisting the troops on the ground alive, so they formed Heroes in Transition In fifteen years ago they began, and we're excited to be able to fifteen years later, offer fifteen programs for both active service members, veterans, military families, couples and spouses.
Speaker 2: My understanding is that the mission provides help for veterans service members their families, but help in programs that are not readily available from government agencies. Give us an example of you know who, not who you're helping, but the men and women that you're helping. In what is our government not providing these people that you folks are able to fill that very important gap.
Speaker 4: You know, when Cindy and Ken started this foundation, they really wanted to make sure that they were bringing back that feeling of camaraderie and the family. So when they first began, it was really about getting people together. A lot of times our men and women come back they might not have the people that they have served or are currently serving with. So they come back to their home, where their families are or where their friends were, and to assimilate back into what we as a civilian understand what normal is. It might not be, you know, it might feel different to them. So really, in the beginning, Cyndy and Can wanted to make sure that that family feel was back, and I think for the past fifteen years that's been the major goal is to make everyone that comes into Heroes in Transition feel like they're part of the family. And I know over those fifteen years that's what we started. And just to see over the course of those fifteen years, how we can offer programs that strength and relationships. We help with healing individuals and families, empowering individuals, offering financial assistance in different ways. So, you know, our niche here on Cape Coddon Beyond is to really offer programs that really do help those things, whether it's our couple's retreats or our families in transition Equine program We have our.
Speaker 5: Reboot and Regroup.
Speaker 4: Courses that really it just helps people with mindfulness and trying to figure out kind of how they can you know, help with themselves and bringing themselves back to center when things happen, or how to just do our you know, different things with our Equine Warrior another weekend that we have. So we have fifteen programs that we offer in all different ways of really servicing the entire family.
Speaker 2: Well, again, this is dedicated to the memory of Marine helicopter pilot and Captain Eric Jones, and it sounds like a great program. Do you have an event coming up this Sunday, a dedication event with heroes and transition. Tell us about it. Where it is. I assume it's open to the public. How can folks find out more information and perhaps be there and join and support this organization?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, So we're on callshpur Home. Although we assist veterans and active service members, military families from all across not only the Cape, but through you know, throughout the state, as we're close to Joint Base Cape Cod but mash b is you know where we base our and the Matchbee Commons for for many years now has been supporting us. And we received a call from Kristin keller Heer, Jess Balaine along with Greg Jensen. Then they reached out to us to say, hey, you know, you know Veterans Days coming up Novembers here it is such a day and a month of celebration that honors veterans both living and deceased to serve our military. What can we do together? And when we got that phone call, we were so excited to say, let's sit down and figure out what we can do. So with that, we knew that we wanted to do something that was interactive, you know that allows the public to get involved. We wanted it to be something that was visible, something that was inspiring to others. So we decided to create a wall of heroes. And basically this was just it's just a four by six wall. It's a banner that people the public that comes in to and I'll go or a few places later, but that comes into Mashpee Commons. We'll be able to see it, they'll be able to write messages of support, and really just it's a way to honor the brave men and women and all of those who have served and are serving our country great.
Speaker 2: Now, what time is? What time is the event on Sunday?
Speaker 4: Yes, Sunday, that's at the Mashpee Commons and we're going to be outside the be outside on the plaza, the area between Lulu Lemon and Regal Cinemas. So we'll be out there. We're excited to be out there.
Speaker 6: It's supposed to be abusing.
Speaker 2: Just the time you broke up on me there, it's just I'm sorry. What time Sunday is this twelfth to two? Twelve to two. Everybody knows where the Mashpee Commons are and if they want more information, give us the web page so we can get them, get them there on time with good directions. What is your your website?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, Heroes in Transition dot org.
Speaker 2: Heroes in Transition dot org. Nicole, thank you very much much. It sounds like a great event. And anyone anywhere south of Boston who has some time on Sunday, this would be a wonderful event. From from twelve to two, you get to meet some great people. Thanks so much for drawing us today, Nicole.
Speaker 4: So that will be the wall will be up throughout the whole holiday season. So if you can't make it from twelve to two and you're coming down to match be Commons at anytime, just be on the lookout for it. It will be there for you.
Speaker 2: Sounds great. Thanks thanks again, Nicole, appreciated banks.
Speaker 4: Take care.
Speaker 2: Yeah, broke up a little bit there of the end, so I hope all of you got that. Let's keep rolling here. We've got the news coming up, and after that we're going to talk about food allergies as a true fear factor. I'm going to be interested, and it's going to be talking with doctor Sirita Patil of MGH. She's a physician scientist at the Massachusetts General Hospital. Stay with us right here on w B Boston's news radio. This is Nightside. My name is Dan Ray, and we will be here all the way unto midnight. We have two more great guests coming up, going to talk with doctor Pettil and also going to talk with a Boston Globe correspondent, Sabrina Lamb, about the most popular Halloween costumes in Boston this Halloween, which of course is tomorrow. Coming right back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: You're on Nightside with Dan Ray on w b Z, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Delighted to be joined by doctor Sirita Pettil. Doctor Pettil, Welcome to Nightside. How are you?
Speaker 5: Thank you for having me tonight? Really great you.
Speaker 2: And I hope I'm pronouncing Patil correctly. Is that correct?
Speaker 5: That's perfect?
Speaker 2: Yes, perfect, Okay. You are a physician and a scientist at Massachusetts General Hospital, and your area of expertise food allergies. But the note that I here have here says that food allergies also are a true fear factor. Not exactly what's true that what that means? Perhaps you could explain it to my audience and to me.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, I think we were inspired by the Halloween theme. That's you know, the holiday that's coming up.
Speaker 4: Proud.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so that that was sort of the s silly sensationalist title there. But you know, there is a real fear element to food allergies. It's kind of amazing. There's, you know, this incredible rise in the incidents of food allergies, and I know we all feel it. You know, we all, we all experience it kind of on a daily basis. You know, food allergies are like ten percent of Americans, and you know one and a half percent of those have human allergy. It's actually, you know, really really common. I have a little kiddo and you know, two kids out of every class I could have food allergies. So it's like it's a really different world today. And you know, when you have a food allergy, exposure to small amounts of the allergen concern your body into having a serious reaction, right, so there is a real fear factor. So feel food allergy?
Speaker 2: Why is it? Why is it that it seems maybe when I was young, back last century, we just ate everything and we maybe suffered from food allergies, but we figured, oh it's no big deal, is it. We're diagnosing more food, you know, more food allergies accurately. What is why are the number of the percentage of young people or people with food allergies seem to be more prevalent or is that a mirage and they're just as the prevalency is the same.
Speaker 5: No, it's it's not just better at diagnosing them, Although that is true, we have better tools to day to diagnose food allergies than to manage them. Then you know that we ever have had before. But you know, I think what you said was really telling. You know, we ate everything. And there's really great data that's a really cool study that have that happened in the last ten years that shows that when we introduced food really early into the infant's life, right when they start to eat foods right, if we introduce allergies, then we can really drop the incidence of food allergy. So in babies who are already at higher risks of food allergy because for example, they have exema I also called atiovic deematitis, if we feed them peanut really early, within four to six months of life, we can reduce their risk of peanut allergy by eighty percent. So our motto has become introduced foods early, I keep them going to really kind of maximumly benefit from that early introduction.
Speaker 2: Okay, So let me ask you a question. As a parent A long long time ago, one of the things parents are concerned about is would be a child choking. I mean that's something that was always prevalent in my mind. I would assume that babies don't have the ability to chew a peanut. So what I suspect you're saying is introduce peanut butter or something like that, so that they're getting the peanut product, perhaps not in the in the form of actual raw peanuts, but they're getting the peanut product into this system. I assume that's what you're saying.
Speaker 3: That's absolutely what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: You know, every as you have been a parent, you know, every baby is there has their own kind of progression, right, and so you really have to have to see the child that you have in front of you. But there are lots of peanut containing foods that do not involve a choking. This is obviously would not feed the infant peanut. So yeah, there's lots of great instructions on how to do this now on the web, and lots of peanut containing products that do not induce choking. I have to say that my children were really fond of the peanut puffs and you used to have to hide them away from our kids all finish, So.
Speaker 2: What are some of the other food that parents should introduce early to diminish the likelihood that children later on will develop specific allergies? Are there a series of foods that perhaps you could get you could list for us, which would help people absolutely, yeah, from developing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, absolutely. It turns out that it's actually all the major allergens. So you know, peanut obviously is one that's on all of our minds, that peanuts, trenuts, milk, egg, wheat, even fish and shellfish. Actually, if we can get all of that in early into their diets, give them a nice very die and make sure that they keep eating it, we really do reduce that risk of allergy. It isn't zero, but it is significantly reduced.
Speaker 2: Sure is there a list? I mean you just went through a number of food items. It's funny. We have a grandson who's too little, over two years old now, maybe two and four months, and he loves fish. I mean there's just just you know, haddock, you know, regular fish, and I would not think of kids liking fish. I would think of kids liking things like cookies and snacks. But there's no again, I've never seen a kid want to eat more fish. So you know, of course, you're always right, Well, got to make sure that there's no bone in the fish, you know, again, our caution. Sometimes, I'm sure there are some parents out there will say, well, I don't want to give my child fish because he could choke. He or she could choke on the bone. But if you're careful and you make sure it's cut up and they there's an example that when you happen to mention fish, I would not have thought that that the consumption of fish might diminish the likelihood of allergies growing. You know, as the kids get older. You did mention fish, and it just it stuck out to me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know, I mean sounds like he's right on trap. Then yeah, it does turn out that, you know, kids really do frivees you in terms of what they like. And I think that you know, you'll get this advice from the FUSI often that we do have to try foods, you know often in order to have to really meaningful to introduce them into into the diets of kids. But you know, they they learn to appreciate foods and textures kind of along that you learned that just like you learn anything else, right, and so you know, it is really important to try to get those There's so many different ways of getting these allergens, which are the diet you know, besides whole foods like we're talking about right now as well. So you know, I think the options that parents have are are pretty varied, and the tools are great too. But you know, in the old days, right speaking of you know, when you and I grew up, you know, we were exposed to whatever was on the dinner table, and and that's also a great way of into do flu foods?
Speaker 2: I think do you think this is a question that has just struck me, and we don't prepare questions, as you know, this is the first time we've talked. Do you think that perhaps we have relied we meaning young parents, not that I'm young parent now, but when we were young parents on baby food, you know, the little, the mushy sort of food that you know that you gave, that we gave our kids, uh, and that we we need to introduce real food to them at an earlier Is that part of the problem. I'm just divining that just talking to you, it sounds to me like maybe we we we rely too much on the I don't want to mention the name, but you know, the little the little bottles and oh there's some there's some squash, and there's some green peas, and it doesn't look particularly appetizing by the way, but easy, easy to swallow and all of that. The sort of food that they end up half all over their face, is that have we overlied on that that sort of you know, mushy, prepackaged food as a opposed to giving them actual normal human food.
Speaker 5: Well, Dan, I'll tell you that I remember those early parent days very vividly and in both from you know, the medical side as well as you know, the parenting side. I'm a strong believer in options because you have, as a parent, really have to do what's practical for you and your family, and what that practical solution looks like is really different for family to family. So no judgment for me at all in terms of how we get those foods into the into the diet. But I think that you know, getting those foods and keeping them in, you know, being committed to having that very diet is really great for their for their their health and their growth and development on multiple levels, not just for the allergy prevention. So you know, that's sort of our mantra. However it might be, you know, it's just important that we get it in.
Speaker 2: That's that's great advice. Doctor Serta Patil Patil. Thank you so much for your time. Is there any either website or particular article that people that you could refer people to to read? I mean, you've given us so much information. I hope that everybody absorbed a lot of it. But is there any website that you want to refer people to?
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's two sources. One, the National Institutes of Health has a website on early introduction guidelines. There's also, you know, food allergy resources at food allergy dot org that I often recommend to my patients. And then the last, but not least, there is an early introduction program at mass General Hospital led by one of my colleagues, doctor Mike Pisper. He's lovely and so if anyone ever has any needs of concerns of leads to contact us, you know, please do what you have a program set.
Speaker 4: Up with us.
Speaker 2: Well, that's great. Thank you so much, doctor Batilla. I really appreciated the opportunity to chat with you, and perhaps we'll do it again sometime soon.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Thank you very welcome. When we go back, we're going to light it up just a little bit and talk about the most popular Halloween costumes in Boston this year with us. We'll be Sabrina Lamb, who's a Boston Globe correspondent. She's written an article, but this I looked at the article and a lot of these costumes I don't recognize. So we'll see what she has to say. Maybe you've picked out some costumes for yourself afore your young ones. Tomorrow night is Halloween, be careful out there, not only as a trick or treater, but as a driver out on the road, because that is the night when a lot of kids are running hither, thither and on, and they're focused only on getting across the street or up that walkway, and you've got to make sure that you drive extra careful tomorrow night. That's that's my admonition. We'll be back with my interview with Sabrina Lamb of the Boston Globe right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan ray Line from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Now, I'm not going out trigg or treating tomorrow night, because we'll be doing night side right here. However, however, some of you are, and some of you are going out trick or treating with your kids and with us. Is Sabrina Lamb. She's at Boston Globe Correspondent and has just written a piece for The Globe on Boston Halloween twenty twenty four and the most popular costumes. Sabrina, I must be out of sync with the world, because when I think about Halloween costumes, I think about the costumes that I wore when I was a kid, and I didn't They weren't very expensive. It was like a little charcoal and a hat and you went out as a hoboll or something like that. That's probably politically incorrect these days. So what are the costumes that passed mustered today? One of the most popular ones. Welcome to Nightside by the way.
Speaker 6: Sabrina, thank you, glad to be here. Yeah, but costume wers surprised me this year as well. It seems like there are a few recurring favorites. Beetlejuice is definitely one of the very popular costumes. Three of the characters actually from Beetle Juice movie that came out this year are on the top ten list for the country and in Boston for the most popular costumes, and among those costumes are Deadpool, Dominion, and Raygun, who was a viral breakdancer from the Paris Olympics surprisingly made the list as well as number two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, breakdn I was a great breakdancer in my prime. By the way, A lot of people don't know that about me, Sabrina. But I wish they had Olympic breakdancing when I was breakdancing. I think I could have had a chance to compete. But but so people are going to be wearing breakdancing costumes this this fall, this Halloween.
Speaker 6: So it's going to be a costume of a particular breakdancer, this woman who goes by Raygun and she had a breakdancing routine at the Paris Olympics this year, Yes, which went viral for a multitude of reasons.
Speaker 2: But impressive. I remember it. I remembered very well. It was impressive. So people, who do we that costume? Okay, when you say Reagan, I figured people were going around dressed as the fortieth presidents of the United States, Ronald Reagan. But I missed that one. Who's who's the guy the picture here? The guy in red? Uh, He's like in a red body suit and he looks like some sort of ninja warrior from a from another galaxy, far far away.
Speaker 6: I believe you are talking about.
Speaker 2: De Yeah, dead yeah right. I had no idea who Deadpool is, but it's a pretty neat costume, you know. Uh. And then who's the little guys here with the google with the googly eyes, the little yellow heads or whatever their their Withable.
Speaker 6: Well, those are the but yes, they're fromable me. They're the beloved minions. They're like a species of some type of creature that are kind of like the minions of the main villain grew so then they've become very popular.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they're villains. They look like friendly little credits. Let me ask you this, are there any that people over the age of twenty will recognize? I mean again, I'm guessing you're a little younger than me. But I mean, I look when we were young, and I was young a long time ago, back in the last century, Sabrina, you dress up as a cowboy or maybe as I can't say it, I can't use the word Indian, but as as the Native American. Are those costumes now just politically incorrect and you can't do that anymore. I'm just I'm a little confused to you because I don't recognize these characters and it's probably because I don't go to a lot of the movies.
Speaker 6: I think the Halloween costumes have definitely gotten more creative over the years. People want to branch out and try out the ones that no one else has done before. So your usual vampire and what Bolt get parties as much as you know Ray Gun or Deadpool nowadays.
Speaker 2: So so if every if everybody's doing, uh, you buy, you gotta buy? You can't really make these costumes. I mean, I'm looking at the costume of the Deadpool guy. I mean you're not gonna make one up like that. I mean, this guy's where in he looks like he's, I don't know, an Olympic skier, he's he's a very toned fit with this body suit on. Where do they find those these days? At their costume stores in Boston where they can go buy these costumes? Or I mean, this is not something you're gonna make up. I don't think, Oh.
Speaker 6: Yeah, certainly unless you get really creative with its probably something you you would probably have to go to Spirit Halloween for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean what about I mean this sounds a little goofy, but and I'm kind of goofy, as you probably figure it out bright now, But what happened in the old days when kids would put on like a Tom Brady jersey and a Patriot's helmet and they would go around as Tom Brady. Is that stuff considered just you know, not creative enough, not creative enough, I guess.
Speaker 6: For the younger generation, especially the kids, they like to get really creative for Halloween, so those costumes aren't popular with the children. They use a holiday at the time to really get creative and get crafty and think of something really whacked to do for the holiday.
Speaker 2: So but my last kind of serious question here, and this is a serious one. Are these costumes that we've just seen, and it's a great piece you wrote, By the way, are these costumes getting people are buying in costume stores? Are they actually making the costumes for their kids that are the kids making the costumes? Who's creating the costumes? Are these costumes being sold commercially, which I can understand, or are people actually creating the costumes from stuff they have at home.
Speaker 6: I would definitely say it's a mix of both. Like I mentioned before, the Beetlejuice characters are very popular this year, and you know their outfits are very very extravagant and detailed. But that's all the things that you can really put your head to and go out and buy stuff and put together. I think that's the fun aspect of it is, you know, getting all the different items to make the out of it.
Speaker 2: Well, Sabrina, I just want to make a confession because I had never heard of Beetlejuice until I flipped on Saturday Night Live a couple of weeks ago when Michael Keaton was the host and I realized they were talking about some movie they made, Beetlejuice. I'm without a clue here. I apologize for not being more redued anyway. Thanks very much, Sabrina. Thanks for joining us and I left ev you you back soon. You helped me out. I learned a lot from reading these columns. I'm slowly but sureted into the twenty first century.
Speaker 1: I'm glad all right.
Speaker 2: Thanks a grady to talk to you soon. Thanks good night. When we get back here on night Side, right after the nine o'clock news, we are going to raffle off. We're going to give you an opportunity to win a couple of tickets to Celtic Thunder. I have heard about Celtic thunder, and then we're going to be talking with another Polster we had with us last night, Spencer Kimball of Emerson College, was going to talk with my good friend Dave Paylo Logus of Suffolk University and find out what's been going on the last few days as this presidential race and Senate races around the country come down the home stretch. We'll be back right after the nine o'clock News