Speaker 1: God, I'm swinging.
Speaker 2: That's it. Hello, fans of the world champion La Dodgers. It's the World Series Winverlive. This is a special off season edition of Dodger Talk. There's a dynasty to be had here taking you behind the scenes with Dodger insider David Basse, living out of their dream to be a part of the show called eight six six not eighty seven two five seven and follow the show wherever you get your podcasts now here's your host, David Basse.
Speaker 3: Welcome to a special edition of Dodger Talk, a podcast show. We don't have our first live show until Wednesday night at seven o'clock on AM five to seventy LA Sports. But since I'm here at the Winter meetings in Dallas, figured I give the kids an update on everything that's going on in day one here in Dallas and how it affects the Dodgers. Obviously, late last night, Juan Soto was able to come to an agreement with the New York Mets fifteen years astronomical type of number. And it's funny how as I was getting into the elevator here at the hotel in Dallas, Scott Boris and his Boris Corp. Crewe was waiting for the elevator as well, and we all got into the elevator at the same time, probably a minute after guys like John Hayman and Jeff Passing broke the news.
Speaker 1: And here's the real story behind it.
Speaker 3: I was in the elevator with Scott Boris moments after that news broke, and he said, Hey, did you hear the news about Soto?
Speaker 1: I said no, and I've.
Speaker 3: Been checking Twitter literally refreshing every what ten thirty seconds, and he said he joked that the Dodgers signed Wan Soto, and the entire elevator started laughing, and then he filled me in that it was the Mets that got their guy.
Speaker 1: And then fast forward to.
Speaker 3: Twenty minutes later, we're eating dinner at the same place last night in Dallas, and no, he did not pick up the tab. So that's how things went down here. That's how I found out Juan Soto is a New York met. By the way, coming up on this episode of Dodger Talk from the Winter meetings in Dallas, you'll hear my one on one conversation with Blake Snell, and also you'll hear from Dodgers GM Brandon Gomes, who gave us a lot of clarity on how the Dodgers infield is expected to look in twenty twenty five, and Mookie bets again on the infield dirt, but not where you may expect it to be.
Speaker 1: So stay where you are. We'll get to that in a second.
Speaker 3: But as far as the Juan Soto signing goes, I know ta Oscar Hernandez and his agent are hopeful that after Sodo signed, it would create a bidding war for him and get his number higher than what it may or may not have been before the Sodo signing. The way I feel after being here for a full day, it's not Taoscar Hernandez that is going to get a bidding war. It is Alex Bregman that is going to get the bidding war. And it feels like it's the Yankees, it's the Red Sox, it's the Astros all that are escalating the salary for Alex Bregman, who also is a Scott Boris client. And we all know how Scott has become the most powerful agent in Major League Baseball.
Speaker 1: He moves the players as chess pieces.
Speaker 3: You lose out on this guy, Hey, I got a consolation prize in the form of player X. I could definitely see him saying that to the Red Sox and Yankees. And right now, the Yankees need hitters and they need infield help. I've also heard the Yankees are probably going to be closing in on a deal with Christian Walker. A lot of people expect Christian Walker to sign with the Yankees. So if they sign Christian Walker and also sign Alex Bregman, all of a sudden, their lineup looks pretty good again. But they do need a left handed hitter now. As far as the Red Sox go, same thing. They're looking for Alex Bregman possibly to play second base, or if they can convince Rafael Devers to move from third, he may play third base. And we all know about the Alex Korra Alex Bregman connection from the twenty seventeen Houston Astros.
Speaker 1: So I actually believe that.
Speaker 3: The Jan Soto signing is not going to affect the chances of the Dodgers signing Taoscar Hernandez. The Dodgers still want Teoscar Hernandez. Ta Oscar Hernandez still wants to be a Dodger, so there is a deal to be had there. Whether or not it happens this week still remains to be seen, but certainly both parties want a reunion. It's just a matter of finding that common ground. And by the way, you know, social media took what I said with Petro some money last week way too far. All I said was, and you can go back to listen to it was that people around baseball and that still remains to be true today expect Tioscar Hernandez and the Dodgers to get back with each other.
Speaker 1: Final details.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's still some number that needs to be agreed upon, or they would have signed a contract or Taioscar would have signed with another team.
Speaker 1: That's what that meant.
Speaker 3: So too many people obviously very excited, anxious, thirsty for all the news they can get, maybe ran a little too far with what I actually said. It goes back to the movie White Men Can't Jump. You may have been hearing what I said, but you were not listening to what I said. So the Dodgers and Tioscar Hernandez still a chance for them to have a reunion.
Speaker 1: Even with the signing.
Speaker 3: Of Michael Confordo, who was a much better hitter outside of Oracle Park than he was there, tough place for any left handed hitter to hit. His slugging percentage was basically double what it was hitting at that ballpark. So the Dodgers have high expectations for Confordo to play every day because his numbers were even better against lefties than they were against righty's last year. So Michael Conforto signs a one year contract with the Dodgers and is going to play every day, and that still opens the door for Teoscar Hernandez also to return. Remember, the Dodgers need outfielders, of Mookie Bets is moving to the infield, and that brings us to what Brandon Gomes Dodgers GM just told us. The Dodgers are expecting Mookie Bets to play the infield, but he is preparing to play.
Speaker 1: Shortstop.
Speaker 3: That was a little surprising, but Mooki is up for the challenge. The Dodgers are going to support him in that challenge, and Mooky believes with a whole offseason, he can be a better shortstop than what he was last year.
Speaker 1: Here's what Brandon Gomes had to say.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean the plan is Mooki's preparing is a shortstop. It's ready for the challenge. He feels like with the full offseason, you can go and tackle that. And like we've said before, he's one of the guys that I certainly wouldn't been against.
Speaker 3: We'll see how it works out, but as of now, the Dodgers do not plan on bouncing Mookie Bets from shortstop to second to right field. They and Mooky are preparing for Mooki to be the everyday shortstop.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I think with Mooke, what was most impressive if you look at all of the most challenging parts of the position, he does really well, and where he struggled was throwing. You go watch him in right field. It's one of the best arms in the game. It's incredibly accurate. So those things that are most challenging to teach, getting off the ball, range, making exceptional plays, his pre pitch timing, he nailed those. It was really syncing up his throw from that because he's been so used to the outfield door. So I think that'll be the majority of his work, is like making sure how does he access what is an elite arm and like have that translate to the infield all.
Speaker 3: Right, So there you have it again from Dodgers GM, Brandon Gomes, Mookie Betts. The everyday shortstop going into spring training this year with all the signings and trades and all that feels like that is just as big of a headline grabber as anything else. Dodger Talk from the Winter Meetings in Dallas, David vass with you. You can listen to all of the shows right here on the iHeartRadio app. You can also follow me on social media at the Real Underscore dv on X and on Instagram at officially vass A. I wanted to share with you my conversation with Blake Snell, two time cy Young Award winner last week's press conference, and then we'll get into the other two top starting pitchers that are still available. Here is Blake Snell, Snell Zilla wearing a Dodger uniform. We are here with two times two time cy Young Award winner and finally a Dodger. It's been a long time coming. Andrew Friedman delivered in twenty twenty four and look at it and the Dodger blue had Dodger blue jersey. Blake doesn't feel real that you're finally where you should be, and that's in the great city of Los Angeles.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, it feels good. It's just I mean, I was talking to Hal. It doesn't feel real yet. But once we get the spring and it gets going hopefully even you know, as December starts to fade in a Christmas, I feel a little more real. But you know, wearing the jersey it's exciting, you know, looking at homes and all that, it's exciting.
Speaker 3: I think the house next to me is for sale. Would you like to invest?
Speaker 5: I'm a mixt I live far from you, you know, far so weka carpool.
Speaker 1: I talked to Boris about it. It's all set.
Speaker 5: No, I'll make sure I'm far away from you, Dave, but we will get the Korean barbecue. You can bet on that.
Speaker 1: Love that.
Speaker 3: Love that, And I love what you said during the press conference, how it's investing in people and people investing in you, and I know that means a lot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's everything. It's the only way for me to be as good as I want to be is to have relationships that are really strong.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it feels like people are starting to get to know who you really are. Right. I feel like I've told you this before your baseball IQ is higher than a lot of people understand. Being able to come to the Dodgers and take it to the next level. How much was that attractive to you?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I just it's all about creating moments for the fans. And you know, coming here with sold out games all the time watching the fans, it's you want to do. You want to just you want to create moments. You want to be able to share that with as many people as possible, especially because baseball is all about entertainment, so and being around fans that are fanatics. You know, they go crazy for the game and it's a passion of mine. So for me to be able to put all that together, to come here to pitch on the biggest stage, it's something that I've been wanting to do for a long time and people really start to get to know me, you know, playing here.
Speaker 3: One thing that the players on this team respect is the work work ethic, and you have that.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 3: Clayton Krushaw means a lot to you. What's it like to finally be teammates with him and pick his brain and just being the dugout together.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that would be a dream come true. Yeah, No, I can't wait. I mean I was telling Andrew I need my locker next to his. So you know, he's just done so many, you know, amazing things in his career. So for me about to talk to him, pick his brain, learn from all his experience, I'm really excited about. There's just a player I can continue to and developed to be is so exciting. And to learn from a guy like that is I mean, you can't ask for more.
Speaker 3: I know you became a proud father this year. The Dodgers won the World Series this year. Your birthdays tomorrow. It feels like twenty twenty four was a pretty good year for Blake Snell and a no hitter.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, tomorrow is a good day to start getting ready for the next season as a Dodger, you know, finally official. So I've been working out, you know, free Asia, but now I'm a daughter, it might be a little different.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the birthday parties tomorrow.
Speaker 5: No, No, I was.
Speaker 1: Checking, like I didn't get the evite. I'm not sure if it was.
Speaker 5: Seck your email. I never used Onne, so check yours.
Speaker 1: Blake.
Speaker 3: This is awesome you being in Los Angeles, being a Dodger. It's always been the perfect fit. And I'm glad it finally happened, so look forward to it. I'm sticking around for one more year, maybe five with you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you got five left, and then we'll see what we go after that. Hopefully we get a couple more.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 5: You know, we got a long ways to go, so let's focus on these five year by year all right.
Speaker 1: Love it.
Speaker 3: It was a long time coming for Blake Snell to be a Dodger. You know, I've been a big advocate of Blake Snell. He is going to be tremendous for the Dodgers. And I love how he said he wants to invest in the Dodgers and in Dave Roberts, but he also wants them to invest in him, and that's why he was so happy about a five year contract. Now, another left handed starting pitcher that I would have loved to see being a Dodger uniform was in Sino Zone, Max Freed. We've had him on the show multiple times. Max is a great pitcher and an even better person. But with the signing of Blake Snell, that door has closed. In fact, the Dodgers probably signed Max Freed if they're not able to come to a deal with Blake Snell, and Max Freed is very much coveted. From what I was told last week, if the Yankees couldn't sign one Soto, they would turn to two starting pitchers. I would imagine Max Freed is one of them. Another is Walker Buehler, who is getting interest from every Al East team with the exception of the Tampa Bay Rays. So you know, Alex Bregman, Max Freed, Walker Buehler all on the Yankees radar. Max Freed also on the Red Sox radar, the Giants radar. He's a guy that is going to command a big time contract because the character of who he is and also how great of a pitcher he is as well. So Max Freed definitely in his corner, even though it won't be in a Dodger uniform. As far as where the Dodgers go after this, we still have to wait and see, but certainly Max Freed is not on the table. Corbyn Burns still out there, Tanner Scott the top reliever, still out there, Devin Williams maybe the most c did reliever on the trade market, still out there, and Nolan Aernato speaking of trades, a lot of buzz about him, but I just don't see it with the Dodgers. I know he would love to come back here, unless he tells the Cardinals, the only place he's going to be accepting a trade to is the Dodgers, the Red Sox, the Yankees if they whoever loses out on Bregman is going to explore a trade for Aeronato. So that's where things stand as far as the Winter Meetings go. We are going to have a live show for you from Dallas on Wednesday night and also another show on Thursday night. So the hot stove Dodger talk has kicked off. Another subplot to the Winter Meetings is the posting of young right hander Roki Sazaki, twenty three years old, throws one hundred miles an hour plus with a great split fingered fastball. I know many people out there were already saying the Dodgers have Sazaki in the bag. It's not possible, because that's beyond the rules. A lot of people around baseball now believe the Padres are definite threats to take Sazaki away from the Dodgers or any other team in baseball. Obviously, the Yankees are a great team, but you can't change your geography. The facts are the Padres and the Dodgers playing cities that are a lot more convenient for Japanese players to get back to Japan. So the West Coast is where these players are going to want to go first and foremost, and that's why it's Dodgers Padres in my mind to sign Sazaki, who, by the way, can be officially posted and negotiated with teams starting on Tuesday, so that's where the negotiations officially start and you have to sign him by the end of January. I believe January twenty fifth is the deadline to have a deal with Roki Sazaki. So you know, I've been asked by the Japanese media, who do you believe is going to sign Sazaki.
Speaker 1: I'm picking Padres or Dodgers.
Speaker 3: You Darvish is like a father figure to all these young Japanese players. That's their edge. The Dodgers obviously at the edge of being the World champions, being in La having Otani, having Yamamoto. Both teams have been recruiting Sazaki for a long time, so it's not a foregone conclusion the Dodgers are signing Sazaki. The Padres are definitely a threat, so that's the latest from Dallas and we will have more on another Dodger Talk podcast tomorrow around the same time. And also you will hear live updates on Rogan and Rodney and Petro some Money throughout the day.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening, we'll talk to you tomorrow. See you and Time said