Speaker 1: Keep on money white with one thank you. I made full use of my weatherspoons. Sorry, you can keep talking about I made very good use of my weatherspoons thing today. And I had three cups of coffee, not because I wanted three cups of coffee, but because it's included in my room price. So therefore I had three cups of coffee. I had to force the last one down.
Speaker 2: Actually, there's no way you're going to let the bastards get away without giving you as much coffee as you could.
Speaker 1: Physically take it. Yes, exactly. It's very British thing is that if it's there, I'll have it.
Speaker 2: This is my buffets. Near never really took off in commercial settings in the UK, isn't it because we'd abuse it? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, ah Man, you go on holiday to like places like Come you know, where they have these all in one things, and we're at it because we still have our British queuing idea, so we don't like it because Germans barge in front of you. But then you're going back and it's the only time you will see British people. Actually, what you're having for breakfast, well, I'm having some of this weird looking ham that's got to think it's got nuts in a three hard boiled eggs. What's that? I think it's a waffle. It was this a croissant and then some fried eggs, some hot dog sausages and yeah. People coming back with this sort of literally the whole of Europe.
Speaker 2: On a plate.
Speaker 1: And then they go back again and then say, oh, I better have some music the otherwise I'll.
Speaker 2: Get Well, it's like Carvery is, isn't it. They've taken off because that's why, because you're limited on your meat selection, but they let you fill up on the EDGs. You can have as many potatoes as you want because it's a penny per plate. To them, it's the Carvery is the only buffet that works in the UK for our mindset.
Speaker 1: It's weird. I have to I'm not a great fan of Carvery. I do not like the principle of queuing up for food.
Speaker 2: I just feel that something of the breadline about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there is there's something of school the breadline. And also I don't want to walk back through a load of voyeurs. Are other tables saying fat bugger, look at him, where has he got?
Speaker 2: He's feeling judged, But you don't get back when you're walking back with a tray full of drinks, do you No?
Speaker 1: No, In actual fact, there's a slight sort of mutual right because you've got you know, you've only got beer.
Speaker 2: It's like it's that if you can get the triangle of pints, yeah you can do that, yeah yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately now though, of course with the wonky fingers, I'm I'm not only as my fielding not as good as it used to be, but I can carry fewer pints because of this. You know, the issues are real. I know I'm speaking to someone with like metal legs now. I mean you're not really going yeah what leg singular? But you know it is something that I do feel the pressure is on me now when I'm carrying pints because I wonky fingers.
Speaker 2: You did make me go and get the round last night, though, you.
Speaker 1: Know what, I think it's the most important thing that when you get injuries like that, well look the coffee Soto reave or there is just out of shot. There's there's coffee being made by our lovely assistant. Yes, it's also the producer.
Speaker 2: Of the show.
Speaker 1: I do like that she's dressed in traditional sort of wood nymph outfit, which is excellent. You know, no wonder you're always hanging around Coppering. I like the funny ears as well. She is really a nymph, she really is an elf. Well I knew it.
Speaker 2: She's genetically from Lincolnshire, so I think that's how they look like down there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, extension, Yeah, yeah, it is funny.
Speaker 2: You may have noticed that this is a video podcast, and if you haven't, are you listening to it on the audio one? We'll go to the link as a video version that you can watch because we have in person Richard Nigus.
Speaker 1: Hooray. We actually do occasionally get together, don't we and sort of hold hands and skip about, not usually in a woodland setting, though it must be said.
Speaker 2: We haven't got any in Suffolk.
Speaker 1: We've got loads of woods in Suffolk. We are not as heavily wooded as here. But I do you know that actually the least wooded county, of course, is Lincolnshire. It's three percent apparently, which, funnily enough, is what was it but three two percent woodland cover at the end of the First World War across the country.
Speaker 2: Yes, and we're we are much much higher now. I mean, if I was a better presenter, I would have got the figures ready, but it'll be whatever's on the screen now. But you're here because this is well, we can once again say you have a book coming out.
Speaker 1: I've got a book coming out, you know. I mean you think this podcast has been going so low? Now we bored people when we first started, because you know, the first book's coming out, and now the next book's coming out, so yes, So the next one is not just about hedges. Obviously they do feature in it. But I'm going around and meeting loads of fascinating, interesting people who are people who work on the land, but they are people who continue to be those what's the term landscape generators? You see, because I just get fed up with all this thing that us humans rubbed at the system. And you know, the wood what we're sat in now you're doing it. You're working this wood. Generations of people before have worked these woods, just the same as hedge layers planted laid hedges and dry stone wallers built walls, and just the same as reed cutters cut reeds and use those. And all our landscape is completely man made. There isn't a single inch of wild in it. I mean, do you think there's any wild left.
Speaker 2: In Well, there are wild places where, and places where if you go and lay down there you'll you'll die of hypothermia before someone finds you. But every bit of the British Isles has had sort of the touch of man on it. Yeah, yeah, for ten years at least. And we keep finding again, you know, we keep finding. We don't, we don't find anything, but people keep finding these sort of remains of campfire sites and remains of early industry and find out, oh, actually people were felling woodland here years ago, and the evidence of well, the hills up here, I mean, the part of the reason they don't have trees on is because they were felled for the sort of the edges of the hillfalls that were put there, and there were these iron age hill forts. People have been doing stuff in all these landscapes for so long. Now we can't you can't remove that stall.
Speaker 1: Which is why I am get rather fed up with the rewilding narrative. Is that you turn a clock bag, and I get even more fed up with like the Biodiversity INTACTNOUS index that's used by Natural England to get this narrative that we're the most nature depleted country in Europe because they use a set date of seventeen hundred as that you know what we like compared with seventeen hundred. Well, by seventeen hundred we were already an absolute powerhouse of not only land juice for agriculture, but land juice in mining. I was up the other week in Wensleydale, and you know, I was stood atop a Bronze Age stone wall that had tumbled and an enclosure, and I was taken over here here's a a Bronze Age mine and so they're mining. Then you know, if you only got to go to Grimes Graves near in East Anglia and there they have got stone age mining for flints. So we who have been industrial, we have changed the landscape. Seventeen hundred is such a stupid nominal date. And there's all these complete buffoons who have bought this idea hook line and sinker that you know, and poor, poor old bio diversity in this country. We have just we've rubbed man out of it, have made us the bad guy. This isn't the work of bad guys here.
Speaker 2: And this is all We're just trying to work this out before we recorded, Well, I've been trying to work this out for two years. Why is this woodland here? Because the big ash tree that were sat underneath, that's quite old. That's over one hundred years old, i'd say, But then the older around it, they're probably twentieth century. They're probably less than one hundred years old. Yeah, but that was not that looks like an ash tree that's grown in a woodland, not something that's grown in the middle of a field, because it hasn't got all the marks on the side from where animals have been grazing on it. And so this was a tree that grew up in a woodland, but before this woodland. So there's a reason there's not that woodland that was there before and there's this new woodland.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Someone had to make that change. And it doesn't just happen by accident. This wasn't a forest fire. This is all This has been replanted, but by someone who's not.
Speaker 1: Here anymore, and someone with a purpose, because no one ever used I mean, when you think about it, we were just over the way there and we're watching them silogen and fent and class machinery is taking the strain. When this was all done, it was nothing but grunt, human grunt. And you know, so you wouldn't have done this on a whim. You didn't do it because that looks pretty. You did it for a reason. And when you if this wood was indeed planted then and it's largely older, they wouldn't have thought, well, perhaps when this is matured sufficiently, when I'm going to fell it, they will have invented chainsaws. By then, they would have been thinking that it will still be an axe. So therefore they must have thought, well, am I going to use this for them? Was it for charcoal? I mean, so we know that older had a lot of charcoal.
Speaker 2: It was basically it was a chemical input. It was for gunpowder. It was the carbon particular carbon percentage in the chemical rating for older charcoal made it better for making gunpowder than hazel charcoalco. So it was it was an industrial input.
Speaker 1: It was a chemical And I suppose perhaps because we know that we've actually got a road in Stow Market called Gunpowder Away, and that was because that was where the gunpowder factory was. And the reason why there was not a lot of trees around that neck of the woods was because they chopped them all down and they turned them into into gunpowder and then it blew up.
Speaker 2: Which is rather cool. There was a great big.
Speaker 1: Explosion and gunpowered away and it's but they had a sort of canal like system which they ferried things about. Talking of canals. Here's a very funny thing. Someone was telling me the other day. I think it's someone from the CLA. It was from the CLA in the east. They were telling me that they'd done a talk on improving bar diversity, on farms and whatnot. But they weren't just talking to landowners. They were talking like to other rural businesses, and they'd all done all this stuff. So well, how we can improve hedgeros and how we can do this, how we can do the other And then this guys were doing that. Is there any questions? He stood up and he said, he goes, I've noticed, he said that most of the field random of our ear I've got these mini canals. It goes, if we just widened them right, we wouldn't need to transport stuff by roads anymore. We could just go and put them down, the mini canals and canals. And so I went, you're talking about ditches, And he went, is that what you call them? Anyway. Yeah, it's not really going to work. So he thought he had so he thought, well he's listening to this, but that it would be a very sensible idea to expand ditches. And he thought it invented a new method of transportation of goods via these mini canals, which turns out to be ditches.
Speaker 2: He's invented the early industrial revolution.
Speaker 1: Again, well done, Telford.
Speaker 2: Yes, you get some horses and you could drag them along. Yeah, yeah, people could live on them, get a load of irish over, they could dig them out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we could perhaps go and have things like be lovely. We could perhaps go and paint our kettles just to celebrate them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Honestly, it's you realize just how challenging it is because the whole the wood nymph has come with coffee.
Speaker 2: The coffee has arrived.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: These are made from titanium, these mugs are they Well, they're not very good titanium. So I think it's made from sort of melted down Chinese meg fighter or something like that.
Speaker 1: You know, Is that also?
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 1: Amy? Is that also what your legs and I'm made of?
Speaker 2: No, it's stainless steel, not worth titanium. Apparently I can't do that, which I can't like straighten it without pain. So there's a big plate there. And that's all because that bit turned to wheatabix.
Speaker 1: And I think you need to have a baggiar trouser from here on in. That's you want to have trousers like mine slacks.
Speaker 2: Well you also have got knee knee pad things in them as well.
Speaker 1: I'm dead tactical. These these are Polish combat trousers. Yeah, you know, look what the poles can do.
Speaker 2: Well, that's my phone is ringing. The one I said, I definitely turned off, but can all that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The other reason you're here is so that we can introduce you to some farmers.
Speaker 1: Some farmers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you're looking at livestock.
Speaker 1: I am. I'm looking at livestock because I was talking at so I come over this way. I'm on a complete cook's tour. So I've had two weeks I'm traveling. I've been down to Surrey and Sussex looking at Coppice's woodland managers down there. Then I went up to Sirencester and then I went to Malvern to the Three Counties Show, where I spoke to some livestock farmers there, and Patrick Galbraith and I did a talk for the CLA there. Then I went to the monty Lip Festival at Montgomery and now over here. So the farmers I was speaking to, I was looking at how the livestock that we farm are also these landscape engineers. And so I met a fantastic guy who breeds Gloucester cattle and he does it in gloucestershere and rather than using them for their milk, he produces fantastic beef. And he's fascinating, this dude. And he's got this theory that because the land on which he's grazing his cattle is untouched and the Glocester cow is untouched, was never an improved beast. He said that the Gloucester cows has evolved to live off his grass, and his grass has evolved to live with the Gloucester cow. And he reckons that. He had a lovely term which I wrote down, which if I was a more, if I had hold your coffee while you do this, can you quite adept? This is my good hand hand? He called it cultural returning, and he thinks that's what And he wasn't some sort of new age Hippie Arts.
Speaker 2: Council funding wording.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, I quite like it because it's in other words, is that if you're using regional local breeds on local land, he reckons that they have truly evolved to work on this. You know, everyone wants to use dexters and belted galoways at the moment in all this restorator thing, and they're putting bloody conic ponies everywhere, yet on Dartmoor they want to kill them all. His theory is the fact that the land has evolved to best suit these regional breeds and that they are lower in stress and almost their whole DNA has worked with that, so they taste sweeter, They taste better if they're on the land where they supposed to be. So you know, one would argue, for example, that we keep using belted galoways in projects in Suffolk and we're turning our backs on the Suffolk red pole. Should we be doing that because Suffolk meadows have evolved to have Suffolk red pole? What's your local breeds around this sort of way?
Speaker 2: Various various Wolsteins and Frisians and you know, dairy milk producers. But the one the farm. We're going to see after next will be red Pole. So you've got Welsh red poles.
Speaker 1: Here, yes, because red Pole though, was a thing that seemed to be everywhere. And they go, that's a Suffolk red pole. What's the difference. It's from Suffolk boy, so better than Norfolk Pole, you know.
Speaker 2: So just where you buy them from makes it?
Speaker 1: So what's the score with this? So I just touched on that dart More ponies. So someone wants to go a massive cull of dark More ponies? Who? Why? And what on earth is going on? Because your mother got dart moles, she's got Welsh ponies, arabs, all sorts of things.
Speaker 2: What's you got? Amy? Okay hunting, But there's wildshill ponies over there, and there are some mid whales wild ponies as well. They're they don't then they're closer to like Provolsky neolithic horses almost the wild ponies there's not they're so hardy and they are they they behave more like goats than horses. But the Dartmore wild ponies depends where you are on Dartmoor. They're either completely feral creatures or they're just the thing at the end of the garden almost and it seems the attraction, the thing that people have in connection with the wild pony as a human seems to be more about the ones they see every day. It's been like sort of urban foxes, you know, to a lot of people in towns, foxes are the cute thing that lives at the end of the railway line or at the bottom of the garden or something nothing to do with the complete killing machines that they have around here. So the wild ponies in Dartmoor are either the ones that are right next to people's towns and their roads and the stuff they see regularly, or the the big feral things upon the hills. But the ones near the towns are the ones people are attached to. But they're not the ones I think people want to get rid of for the grazing and the biodiversity issue and the hit on the upland so.
Speaker 1: This is yet again another thing they're saying that they're overgrazing. The thing that I'd say about ponies is that if you look at cattle and sheep, they'll go crunch, crunch, crunch, crunch, crunch, and they will eat the way through it. Ponies are browsers. Yes, so they are doing the lawns and ruffs, which I thought or these people wanted to do.
Speaker 2: I mean, well, anyone who's ever had cared for horses, though, is that they'll just decide they don't want that half of the field. They'll stand by the gate looking mournful until you bring them hay or halage or whatever, and they'll ignore stuff at the bottom. And wild ponies do have that to a degree. It's not that they will be very selective in what they what. They can also only get to certain areas, yes, and like sheep, which will get to pretty much everywhere. It's I think it's just that the idea of grazing is an issue for removal of these things because there is a this belief that it is grounded in some reality that if you take away grazing animals you will have trees. Trees will come back naturally, and that's true because everything is trying to return to forest in the UK, anywhere inland is trying to become a foresting and even our little fire pit there.
Speaker 1: It's got a little oak growing in a tree.
Speaker 2: Has planted itself and has started growing, and all around us weed trees, stuff that's trying to grow naturally. That's what would happen in that field out there if you took away grazing animals. It's what would happen in the Welsh Mountains if you took away grazing animals, but not all of it. So if you're taking away grazing animals, whether it's sheep or horses, you've got to decide. Okay, I am deciding that this should be woodland. This should be woodland and not what it is now, which is effectively just management. Just in the same way if you said I don't want this to be woodland, I want this to be grazingland. That's just a decision of equal magnitude. But there's this perception that trees good, trees better, and this is what I don't.
Speaker 1: It's just slightly the reason for writing this book, because you know, we have to accept the fact that our landscape looks the way that it does because it more or less evolves because of farming. I think I've started off as saying it starts with a radical concept that Britain is not the tail end of a natural disaster, it's actually the result of man made brilliance. Bill Bryson. You know, he writes about Britain and he said, you know, by accident, the beautiful, irreplaceable British countryside was created by man. And I don't like this idea that they are removing that human element, that they are saying that the pony that is there is going to be removed. And yet the same people are arguing about that, the same ones who get absolutely when they go and get some flip in horse from what's it called the Conig pony. That's a Conig pony. Cool, but poor old dart mares aren't.
Speaker 2: Well, there's this shifting baseline thing as well. It's a bit like the post war, post Second World War improvement in tree cover. People would look at the lad and we just had the Woodland Trust tree equity score thing, which I admire the Woodland Trust for doing because it's quite a canny way of of categorizing a problem in relation to people, because that's what you need to do to get funding. I understand that, But anyone looking at it and paying attention to it for the first time, I go, oh god, we haven't got any trees. We haven't got any woodland. Whereas if you looked at the woodland cover in nineteen forty seven and compared it to twenty seventeen, we have a hell of a lot more. But if you are starting at twenty seventeen and saying, well, that's what we need to fix, then it doesn't matter what came before, because the problem starts now and you've got this shifting baseline of okay, whatever is the new normal. We'll judge everything from that, and for the British Isles rather than judging it against okay, maybe how it looked in the middle of the nineteenth century, which was after the first flush of Industrial Revolution, where we got rid of a lot of woodland because we're burning it all or using it to make all the things for the industrial revolution and the growing cities. What we need. What you need to do is look at it in comparison to what you want it to be maybe, or what it has been, and say, actually, we are improving things. If you want more woodland, if you want more bi diversity, things are gradually getting better. But if you're comparing Britain as it is today to rural Finland or North America or something like that and saying, well, we don't have these vast tracks of wilderness, you know, So therefore we are the most bi diversity depleted, sheep wrecked, chemical.
Speaker 1: Chemical soaps wasteland, the most Yes, the later in crisis. Yes, you guys add some yet more doom and gloom.
Speaker 2: Scroll and compare this to the rainforest of Central America. Yes we are, but we aren't. It's not as bad as it was, and it's getting better.
Speaker 1: Well, it's like Patrick Galbrais said when he wrote his last book, Uncommon Ground. He said, you know there's always so much this narrative that right to Rome and go bimbling on about that. You know, the British public are shut out of all bar nine percent of you know, shut out of eighty percent. They got nine percent.
Speaker 2: He said.
Speaker 1: He went to one of these places where they were sort of pointing the finger at some earl or duke or lord or something or other, and he went for a bimble along the footpaths that are open, then went through onto the open access land that had been given and he bumped into a guy from I think it was Nigeria, and he had a conversation. Because Patrick's one of these people just talks to anybody, especially when he's in book researching mode. And this guy from Nigeria went, isn't this amazing? We can just go everywhere. Back at home, we can't go anywhere. And you know, I think if you are told by people who have either applausible voice, a loud voice, or one that is hysterical enough, then you can be but you can start believing that we are the most nature depleted country in Europe and then we're just not, and and we aren't. It's a farce because but the whole thing is a modeling system and most of our thing, I say, is that we'll plot this and then we'll create a model because we're so rubbish. I was speaking with Roger Morgan Grenville last week down in Sussex at a little event run by an organization called Greening Arundall. And firstly we went into a really rubbish pub. You know, I think we sometimes do a little bit of advertising by mistake. Here I'm going to do some advertising by advice here. Don't go into the Eagle in Arundor unless you want to watch the racing that is on all the time. But anyway, I said to these guys, they're about the bio Diversity INTACTNUS index and how we were told that we are the most nature depleted country in Britain, but we're not because they ask me the question which I get asked so much. Is all right for guys like you and I who can actually do this for a living, But what can you do if you're either too old, you don't want to change career, you can't change career, you want to stay doing how can you do it? And I said, well, do you know the most important thing I think that you can do is you can start getting involved with farm clusters, with individual farmers, and you can start becoming that data recorder. If your thing is bats or your thing are moths, doesn't matter what species it is, if you show a genuine interest I know rund my way, most farmers with a pretty general gentle approach would say yes, I'm quite happy for you to go and record swifts numbers here and then you get real data. Because nearly everything that we have in this country, whether it's trees, whether it's hedgerows, or whether it's nate wider nature, is recorded through modeling, not actually through genuine people going out.
Speaker 2: And recording it.
Speaker 1: And I think what that would probably show is that there are some counties Lincolnshire which has a lot less tree cover, and so that theoretically we say, do we need to put more trees in Lincolnshire? Is it what Lincolnshire wants? Arguably not, because huge reasons why there's so much of Lincolnshire hasn't got trees on is because it used to be under the sea. But we can then start getting localized regional patterns and then we can get some true, honest data. And so I advise people, don't you don't need to just come out on hedge land courses. Yes, if you want to learn how to lay a hedge, give you a mere call and we'll go and do it. But you can get a mark one set of eyeballs that you were born with, and a field guide and a book and you can record that data. And that is then hugely valuable and gives that localized data which always top trump some stupid modeling that's been thrown out by Tony Juniper and the Natural England and a bunch of scientists sat in flipping Kensington in the Natural History Museum.
Speaker 2: Well, there's also people have put a lot of effort into trying to convince other people that their way of seeing things is the right way. You know, their understanding of the situation is this Elon Musk is an evil man because he's a trillionaire, yes, Or this other person is a good person because they're poor, or because when they work for nonprofits therefore they're better than this person. Rather than seeking to understand, you know, I want to understand more about this thing. Yeah, you know, I now I think I have a clear idea of how this system works. I'm now going to go and check that. So I'm going to go and find out more because I'm probably wrong. And that's how I try and think about things now, and how I try and see things now. Okay, I want to understand more because the closer you look at something, and the more you study something, or the more you look at Lowe, you really look at one field, one area and say, I'm really going to get into the specie survey for this. I'm throw my survey squares out, do my trans X and go, oh, bloody hell, I didn't know we actually had this. You know, we had three different types of orchids in this I didn't know we had or whatever. You will find more things the more you try to understand it, and if you are somebody with an agenda in what you're trying to push, which is basically every human being on earth. Yes, because that is part of human nature. You are trying to optimize for something, You are trying to do something, you're trying to achieve something. If you're watching or listening to this and thinking, yes, but I don't have an agenda, you're wrong. You do have an agenda, even if it's just you want your family to do well, or you want you know, your people to do well, whatever it is, you kind of find something in such a diverse landscape as the British Isles to prove every agenda. So the bit we were looking at up before you came here, we went to a farm near where I live, huge farm, thousand cows, big dairy operation, and they rent a lot of ground around it to for silage. Although really when you get to a sort of a dairy operation of that size, were also what you're looking for is land to put slurry onto, because then you can take the silage from it afterwards, but you need to have somewhere to put that waste. And the fields we went to I know quite well, and they've got really good hedges haven't they.
Speaker 1: Yeah, lovely hedges.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but there's no insects in the field, not a one, not a one.
Speaker 1: No, And you see that. That would be it because if your metric that you were judging things was the hedge, yes, you would say it's got mixed species thick from bottom to top. You obviously haven't got a deer problem here. That good stuff. So therefore you would say click, that works. Yeah, But then you only have to go two strides out from the hedge and you say the land is desiccated. If you walk through a field after harvest in the supposed chemical soak wasteland of East Anglia, you would see running through the stubble, you would see countless myriad of small spiders, beetles and other invertebrates. I didn't see one, not one.
Speaker 2: We did a couple of transacts across, didn't we And we both of us, because this is how we work, is that most of the time we're looking at our feet, what's down there, what's run through there, and you are not seeing it.
Speaker 1: Now, that, though, would give the message to the people who say that cows are basically nothing but disastrous. That would be saying, yes, see, look cattle, but it's not the cow's fault. We then came round the corner and we then saw another field to our left, and all of a sudden the bird song because all we could hear was basically rooks and crows magpies. We saw one cock pheasant you went run. What he was doing out there? I don't know a lot to eat? But anyway, we didn't see anything there. But we walked one field and to our left there were then cows actually grazing out in a meadow, and there was a white throat that flew into the hedge. Then you see a number of other bird species, and the birds song suddenly started, which qued meant that they're because there was cattle actually out in the fields, not just there. After math spread on it. So you're going to go and say, well, surely the cattle are making a massively positive impact here.
Speaker 2: So both of those are a cow farming cow farming, yeah, but one completely different, completely different scales, completely different operations, but both come to the same category.
Speaker 1: Correct, So therefore this carte blanche thing is get rid of the cows and everything's fine. The sort of dale vince nonsensical gibberish I do think one of the other problems though, is that when you go out and you start genuinely looking, you do your transects, you go and put your little meter square out and start counting species diversity, or you go out if you go out with an entomologist and they're sort of armed with hundreds of little clear plastic tobs that they put things in and they have this knowledge of it, you suddenly realize that there is a lot out there. And so most of the time what tends to happen is that we are going out when we're doing this and you're trying to prove that there is stuff there. But positivity tends to not actually raise money. So what we are trying to do when it comes to things like farm clusters and getting funding out with governments funding, you're trying to say, look, we've done all this work and now we have got more farmland birds, or we've got more turtle doves, or we've got more of adders, grassnegs, whatever it might be. You're trying to go and say, look, my work has done this. All. Too frequently the NGOs and people who have got a different agenda, they want to show what isn't there So, therefore, modeling, particularly models that say, back before we industrialized in this country, we had a lot of nature, and now we don't. It's much easier to use that model because the model tends to be doom and gloom, and doom and gloom is much more likely to raise you a few quid, isn't it.
Speaker 2: It is you only get money for solving a problem really well. Its particularly if you're a charitory or a social enterprise, or you're a campaigning organization. You need to say this is a problem. If you give us money, we will fix that problem. Yeah, And then that disincentivizes you from ever solving a problem. Yeah, because what you need to do is say, well, we solve this problem, but never mind that, here's a new problem. Yes, here's a new problem, and then we need your money to solve that. And everything has to be a crisis. Everything has to be very, very urgent, because again, you don't get money to say, well, this sort of thing is looming on the horizon maybe in the next fifty years, can we slowly solve it now it needs to be No, we need to solve it by next June or everything's dead. Yeah, it's that it's that level. And again I understand why funders do this, and that's, you know, maybe the best way to allocate funding. But it does incentivize a certain way of communicating with the public.
Speaker 1: Yes it does. And it also incentivizes people like you say to always is you almost get doomed fatigue because doomerism, doism. Oh god, you know, everything's the cost of living crisis. What people just going to say, do you know what, we're a bit skint at the moment because you know, we've basically spent all the money on covid yep, and then trying to help Zelenski not go and not go and get overrun by Ivan the terrible. If we actually just said we're a bit skin.
Speaker 2: At the moment.
Speaker 1: I can't come out on the piss this week because I haven't got enough money in my wallet. People go, oh, but no, it's a cost of living crisis. Yes, so you need you need, you need that layer that thick on with a trowel.
Speaker 2: There's yeah, there's you see this with that things that access to nature and access to outdoor spaces. Because my career was working as an outdoor instructor, working in the outdoors, taking people into the outdoors. I do firmly believe that people do need access to nature, because it's why now we both work in the outdoors. The reason you don't work in an office all winter and you stand on a damp, wind swept suffolk land lovely bending wood over is because you're outside and you don't have to see people. Yes, and a lot of people go into the outdoors for that, but you can't have all spaces for outdoor recreation. You can't have everything being for fun because also that land also has to be where we keep our wildlife, and that needs space and time. Where we grow our food, and that needs space and time, and it needs to be where our rivers are and the buffer that stops all the crap getting into the rivers and things like that. So this land that we're on has to do all sorts of things. So maybe have bits designated for certain things, or the access is managed, and that's what we do here with this woodland. We take people it's coppice and gradually return into coppice. We've only been managing it for two years, but we're starting to work on the edges there. It's a bit like moving into a house of an existing garden, don't touch it for a year, find out how it works, and then decide how.
Speaker 1: You're doing it.
Speaker 2: So now we're sort of making the glades and managing it and stuff. But we also bring people here. This little camp we've got here, we train groups, and we bring chefs here, and that little stump there is for chopping kindling. We had a guy he came with a group of chefs, so it's sort of chefs, but you know, the work in hospitality, so it's not high and find gourmet dining. It's really good food, great people, but it's more every day. And they came here their employer paid for them to come here. And we found out later that he'd had a death in the family very very recently, and he wasn't really up for this. But when he came here and found out he could just spend all day chopping kindling on that block there and just people would bring him tea and biscuits all day. That's brilliant. He was made up, and that's sort of just being able to spend time out here because it's a nice place.
Speaker 1: Why wouldn't you want.
Speaker 2: The bird song is green, there's lots of oxygen. He was made better by being in this place. I want to do that for as many people as possible. But if you made this woodland open access, everyone can wild camp, you can do whatever you want here, it wouldn't be this place.
Speaker 1: In that bird song for a start, No, interestingly a recurring theme. You know, I've been talking at a lot of places in the last couple of weeks whilst I've been on my tour of Britain.
Speaker 2: Remember what you look like?
Speaker 1: When I get I'll give her a nasty shock, won't Tiger?
Speaker 2: Hello?
Speaker 1: Who the hell are you go? And get out?
Speaker 2: She's got a photo from the wedding and it's a lot.
Speaker 1: Younger unless bearded, and a lot less gray, and also a lot less fat. But well, I don't like to say, but you and Lise have got the excuse you've got a metal leg now, whereas I'm just saying I can't be asked to do anything anymore. You know that's basically have you got metal legs? No? No, I just like beer. Really. We had three pints last night and also a Weatherspoon's breakfast. Yes, the most calorific thing known to man. Lovely it's brilliant anyway, One of the recurring themes that kept coming up and people saying, and they're sort of and these are our usually people are going to literally festivals and things like this. We're not talking about thickies. They're bright, well read individuals, some diverse backgrounds. But all of the saying, what can you do to help us get all these neats who we keep getting told about.
Speaker 2: Not in education, employment or training more training?
Speaker 1: How can we get these young people out and working with you? And I'll tell them I'll do a bit of do mangering saying, well, the apprenticeship schemes do not work for me. It's not that they don't just work for me financially, they literally do not work of how they're set up, because of the seasonality of my work. But also they don't work because things like I would need to have a porter loo if I took a bunch of kids out there, I would need to pay my from my own pocket for a port looo because that would be demanded and expected. I would need to go and put all these young people through various courses so they could use the tools necessary. And you know when every time you got to go and redo your chainsaw certificates, it's an expensive thing. Yeah, the insurers. I spoke to my insurance company and I said, can't really do it, you know, there is no way. When he said well, this is how much is going to cost, I thought, well that's not going to fly either. So there are all these financial barriers, which is why they end up. If they have any opportunities at all, they go to big charities where the people who are giving the core instruction know about as much about coppasing more hedge laying as I do about brain surgery, and we are missing out the ability to train young people on the job.
Speaker 2: I have a folder in my phone which is just screenshots people have sent to me from the forestry industry out of annoyance of social media posts from charities who do coppising sessions in the winter and things like that come compasing with us and it's the coppy stool afterwards, and it's got jaggy a bit sticking out there. I've got forestry friends who just send me this going, have you seen the state of this? Because what they want that behind you it should be that high off the ground, in flat or even slightly sloped, and that's it, and that's how it should be because they know it from the industry because they do it day day and day out through the winter, whereas if you work for a wildlife trust or something like that, this might be one of twenty different things you have to do within your role, and this is just what you're doing that week. I mean, you'll see. You'll see tomorrow at one of the farms are going to you'll see the results of some mechanical hedge laying done by a I won't say which group. It was by a charity that had volunteers out to do hedge laying activities. And my friend was one of the instructors, and he was doing of the normal hedge laying at the top phil and then there was someone else doing the mechanical hedge laying. And what the mechanical hedge laying has ended up with is trees. Huge trees like this drop down in a line with nothing growing up in between. So now you have a dead well half entry on the ground with shoots coming up out of it, which sort of makes a row of more trees, but it doesn't make a good head because there's nothing there to lay now now unless you bury that to make that part of the bank. When you go to lay it again, you have to cut out all the woods and all the sideways bits. So when you go back to do that again, there'll just be even a fewer trees that had before. So mechanical headplaying sort of works, but only if you do it properly, yes, and you know what you're doing exactly.
Speaker 1: And I find that this is an issue because you're here loads of politicians at the moment. They have realized that there are lots of lots of young people who not only are not in employment or education or training, but they are also getting chronically depressed. So they are adding to the welfare bill because they have never and as you say, that bloke you were talking about was chopping kindling there he felt better about being out doing this. We have got aspirations from the government to plant forty seven thousand miles of new hedgerows.
Speaker 2: It's millions and millions and millions of trees that we haven't got in this country.
Speaker 1: No, that we don't even grow. So therefore why are they not thinking, well, okay, well, let's look at all these aspirations we've got that require huge human resources. And then if you were bringing these people into work and getting trained, then we might actually succeed. I mean, because you could get rid of Miliban's stupid could run to net zero if you actually made you had more of these woods coming back into rotational coppice, because they would breathe that bit better. If you supported the forestry industry better, it would work. If you actually had the human resources there to do it well, then you would probably be able to do it without littering the countryside with these fatuous bits of Chinese plastic and metal called, you know, solar power stations. Because I always think that if you actually called the solar farm what it is is it's a power station. What's the fuel? Does it burn the sun? Then people go, I ain't haven't that anywhere near me. But if you're going to say you're going to have a solar farm, don't worry. You almost imagine the word farm makes you think of the darling buds are made, isn't they?
Speaker 2: Yes, it's a bucolic, wonderful landscape. Well, solar farms and solar power stations, they are there are solutions for now, aren't they. They're sort of that thing of we must solve this problem and also do it within our election cycle. Has to be done whilst we're still in power, so we people know that it was us in our party, whichever party it was, it's our party that did this good. And we say this on the what's the announce today, the under sixteen social media.
Speaker 1: On social media. And also funny enough, I did notice that the Defense Secretary and the Armed Forces Minister resigned and the next day the Prime Minister decided to send our marines in to go and sort of a do one on a Russian tanker. So there's always this knee jerk nonsensical staff, I mean, but it's an interesting thing if you think about it.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: You're saying, I can't work out why there are so many olders here all the same. So someone at some point one hundred years ago turn the centry, you know, perhaps immediately after perhaps that they might be nineteen nineteen trees. You know, they might have been we've got to get some tree covered back in because then they gave them a grant and they thought, what's going to grow in this wet wood? Olders and they put them in and they didn't really think this is going to be a real pain in the butt for the for these two lunatics who are taking this wood on to try and and turn this into a manageable wood. Is exactly the solve, same stupid knee jerk reaction of putting solar panels all over the place because that's fine, and they're saying to farmers, oh, yes, we'll pay for twenty five years, twenty five hundred quid per hector. It'll be absolutely fantastic. In twenty five years time, when I will be fifty six, when I'll be eighty, I'm going to be seeing the whole of East Anglia is there's all these lorries going to be driving around with these decrepit solar panels, and we're going to think what we're going to do with all this stuff. We've just got a massive problem in twenty five years time that we are going to have millions of tons of this crap to get rid of. So just kicked the can down the road a bit.
Speaker 2: It's a again, it's this solution for now, without this without any thought as to what your legacy will be now and understanding how we got in this situation in the first place.
Speaker 1: I guess that's the thing is the fact that you said it everything is five year short termism.
Speaker 2: Manette Batters was talking at the Monty.
Speaker 1: Lipfest and she said a thing that we have repeatedly said on country Slide is that she's trying to work. When she was head of the NFU, she was always trying to work on a much longer timeline than politicians wanted to do because they wanted the short termism of the headline yep, and they wanted within everything to be done and dusted within the five years that they're in, you know, in powerful. And I don't quite know how you get out of that because everything is short termism and the countryside cannot work on these narrow little five year windows that politicians impose on. It's not a party political thing. Every single party does it. They hope they might have more than five years, but they know they might not, so they need to do something and almost it's bugger the consequences. Yet, people who work in forestry, people who work in farming, people who work in conservation, they cannot work on those short termism, no scales and their loggerhead So I think there is only one conclusion revolution. Revolution. Basically, I'm going to write a letter to the King and say it's time.
Speaker 2: Sir, step forward, pick up the sword.
Speaker 1: Pick up the sword, pick up the mace and cast it aside and say you're loyal. Royalist forces are gathered, all seven of us. Ready.
Speaker 2: We've got the crap haircuts. We've got the crap haircuts.
Speaker 1: We've got the beards where we look slightly like I want to be Prince Rupert of the Rhine right arm. I will find who would calumby you just carry our bags bordering, but carry on bags for us.
Speaker 2: Can imagine it this? Yeah, we've got we've we're gonna end We're gonna end up with a new government any day now because we've got an election coming up or by election in Makerfield, and whoever there is going to be effectively crowned prints of the next party that is in control of us. But the mindset won't change really that much on any of that thinking that short short term ism. It's basically finding out who's going to be your step parent for the next five years, and if we are going to have a parental mindset from our rulers, from the our elected leaders you know too, because definitely it's all elections and they're all fair and there's never any chicanery at all. If we are going to be our parents and they're going to think in that mindset, can they at least think ahead, maybe to our few years on the line for us, maybe to our children and their children, rather than just thinking, well, we'll give them ice cream for dinner now because that will make them happy. Yeah, I hank ahead.
Speaker 1: I have to say, it isn't something I had on my Bingo card that how do you elect? You imagine if you've suddenly got someone who came here, I don't know, from a country who probably hasn't got a great knowledge of Britain. Ah, so say some of that Luxembourg and they came along and said, so how do you elect your governments here? Well, what you have to do is you have to stand for an MP in Wigan and then you will become the leader of Britain. Is this always the way? No? But that's now The new thing is whoever wins a seat in Wigan becomes basically what we the fifth largest economy in the world. So who knew that Wigan is the absolute fulcrum.
Speaker 2: See I think we should return to if you want to be an MP, if one the stand as an elected member of Parliament, or the Senate or anything you even if you're not from that area. Once you stand for.
Speaker 1: That place, yeah, you're there for life.
Speaker 2: You are never allowed to leave. You have to work there, you have to live there, your children have to live there. You are stick living in that place and your address is published. Yeah. I think you ought to have little castles. People can harangue you in the supermarket, and.
Speaker 1: Now I think each place ought to have a castle. I think every Thursday you basically get this conger line of people coming along with all their woes, and you have to sit there on a throne type thing in judgment, and you're going to say, and you have a sort of figure saying, mister Jones, the dog poo bin hasn't been them, did right?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: Who's responsible for dog poo bins? Yeah? And say, well that'll be uh smithers in right. Have him have a hand chopped off. That would be a much the better lair exactly of government. And then you have a whis every sort of year, yes, where you go along and you have to go around the king. And then he can go and say I'm looking at here and I'm afraid the Waveney Valley. What have you managed to do, then, Lord Ramsey of Waveney, Well, I've managed to ban greyhound racing and what Yes, and I've written a lot of letters about Palestine, my lord. Yes, but what about the potholes everyone's complaining about. Well, I haven't done anything about them. Right, kill him and then then there would be another election, you know, because basically he would have been killed because he's just banned gray and racings and feel the potholes in. I think it'd be a brilliant you know.
Speaker 2: So to recap this episode, return of feudalism, lovely. You should only be allowed to access the land if you're brought there by somebody who's managing it. Yes, some cows are okay, depends where they are and what they're doing. Yes, all politics is terrible. Yes, you've got another book coming out.
Speaker 1: I've got another book coming out that we haven't mentioned that though, But yeah, we'll come on to that.
Speaker 2: Anything else have we miss Have we missed anything else? Amy?
Speaker 1: And Amy's a wood nymph, She's a wood nymph.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so there we go.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know that is I met a lovely lady in.
Speaker 2: This is a short story because were running out of a card I.
Speaker 1: Left a lovely lady called Sarah in Montgomery and she runs a business. We're gonna have to get her on the show where basically she takes opinion polls of people in the Lamb Bay sector so that she can feed back to DEFA and other government bodies. Is that what to do? And I did say to her, you must listen to Country Slide and imagine if she just listened to this one, this one, yeah alone, this would alone, she'd go, this is what have we been missing all our lives?
Speaker 2: Not the horse one? No, not the horse one or Leslie Dolphin is tolp Paul Leslie? Right? So I'm getting someone's flashing at me from the side saying we need to wrap this up so the patron only after show will record, maybe record tonight in the pub so we do live Wetherspoons. But for everyone else, thank you very much, thank you for watching, thank you for listening, and we'll see you again next time.
Speaker 1: Bye bye,