Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is sponsored by LA Care Health Plan, providing affordable healthcare insurance to millions of Angelinos for over twenty five years.
Speaker 2: This is world Champion, Dodgers, World champions.
Speaker 3: For a small salt time they get a people what they want to die.
Speaker 2: Two in a row two is special. I'm like years not a headache.
Speaker 3: Your host on.
Speaker 4: This ball's God ready to go.
Speaker 2: Sure, old grab your phone to get in on.
Speaker 5: The show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seven.
Speaker 3: That'll come to the show.
Speaker 5: And now your host of Dodger Talk, David Vasse.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Dodger Talk. David Vasse with you until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. And we do have phone lines open if you didn't get in with Petro some money, Ronnie. Did they take calls again today? Did they make it a two in a row show?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 2: Wow? All right, phone lines are are open right now eight six six ninet eighty seven two five seventy. We can continue the conversation after yesterday's game. We'll get to that in a moment. We are going to be joined by for the first time this season, one of my favorites, one of your favorites more importantly, and that is lifelong Dodger Andre Ethier. Yes, the Dodgers acquired him while he was playing in the minor leagues with the A's, but they made his life better and he played his entire twelve year career with the Dodgers. He is going to join us coming up in about ten minutes. Also, at the bottom of the hour, we are going to remind everybody about the selective amnesia the national and East Coast media has when it comes to Aaron Judge eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. And also, since we are on the eve of an exciting World Series a rematch between the Dodgers and Yankees starting tomorrow at Dodgers Stadium, Max Freed against Tony Gonsolin. Our coverage begins at six o'clock, first pitch at seven to ten. It's such a big game, Petro, some money will be broadcasting from Dodgers Stadium tomorrow since we are going to see the Yankees for the first time at Dodgers Stadium since Game two of last year's World Series. I thought there was no better night than to have you share where you were when Freddy Freeman did this.
Speaker 1: The Yankees three, the Dodgers two. The bases are loaded to out bottom of the ten, fitting the scenario you dream about. Freddy is living first pitch, swinging.
Speaker 7: High fly ball, hit dude back, Freddie Freeman channeling is inner curtain.
Speaker 8: Get then, oh, walk up, hold run. In Game one of the World jerries hey, walk off grand Flam.
Speaker 7: They celebrate, had to play twitters six to three.
Speaker 2: All right there it is. I mean, that makes everybody feel good, no matter how you're feeling about yesterday's game, Freddie Freeman's walk off Grand Slam and Game one of the World Series. Rick Monday, Steven Nelson on the call last year on Dodgers Radio on the Dodgers Audio Network, and here on a five to seventy LA Sports, where were you when that iconic Grand Slam was hit? And last year's Game one of the World Series. I hope the Yankees are listening right now, just to remind them who is their daddy, and that's Freddie Freeman and the Dodgers as they beat them in five games last year. And we will get to that later in the show. That horrific and wonderful fifth inning that the Yankees handed to the Dodgers and basically handed the World Series two. But you never hear anybody throw Aaron Judge dropping that Keik Hernandez fly ball in his face. You never hear anybody talk about it. You never hear about anybody talking about Aaron Judge dropping that routine fly ball as he was peeking out of his eye to see where Keik Hernandez was. You just never see it.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 2: You never hear anybody talk about it. All you hear about is Aaron Judge hitting four hundred. He's having the greatest season of any right handed hitter. But if this was Bill Buckner, if this was Alex Rodriguez, if it was anybody else, we would see the replay of that drop more than we have seen Garrett Cole and Anthony Rizzo not covering first more than what we have seen keiy a Hernandez sliding into third base and Volti throwing the ball into the dirt. You don't see Aaron Judge, one of the greatest players of his generation, make a Buckner play. Why is that? We'll find out later? Eight six six nine, eight seven, two five seventy is the phone number we want to know where you were at the time. Freddie Freeman hit his Game one heroic Grand Slam against the Yankees with the Yankees in town after having a very cushy West Coast road trip. When was the last time the Dodgers went to New York and got to play the Yankees and Mets on the same trip, right? It hasn't happened since I've been traveling with the Dodgers, no matter what plane I've been on, it just hasn't happened. But major League Baseball doing what Major League Baseball does, making life a lot easier for the Yankees, allowing them to have a nice, cushy Orange County series against the Angels and then a very cushy day off in Los Angeles and then a three game weekend series against the Dodgers. When was the last time that ever happened? But I digress eight six six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number off day Dodger talk. We are hot tonight. You thought I was hot yesterday, I'm hot tonight too. And if you had a problem with anything I said regarding Tanner Scott yesterday, call me. You know, the only issue I had yesterday with any of you was a guy from the two, one, three, He doesn't even give his city, gives his area code, and telling me that there was some connection, some correlation between Dave Roberts getting cute by not starting Hay Soong Kim and getting cute by bringing in Tanner Scott in the seventh inning. Do any of you realize how thin the Dodger bullpen is right now? There are going to be some things that don't usually happen, including having Tanner Scott come in for a multi inning not even safe but just to hold. Do you realize who's on the shelf? And that's the reason why Andrew Friedman today made a great trade, a by low type of trade for a former All Star, Alexis Das. He is the former closer for the Cincinnati Reds who got off to a bad start. And there's gotta be more to it than just that, because there had to be some issues with Terry Francona with the Reds. Why would they send him down after just a handful of games. I mean, certain relievers, as we have seen, struggle in the beginning of the year, but they don't get sent down when you have the resume of Alexis Das, who had thirty eight saves two years ago as an All Star. Maybe a change of scenery for Alexis Daz is going to help him. And yes, he is related to that Edwin Diaz, the closer for the Mets. So look, Alexis Dz from what Alden Gonzalez is reporting, is not going to be on the Dodgers roster tomorrow, which we wouldn't expect him to be. The Dodgers are going to get their hands on him, evaluate him at Camelback Ranch in their pitching lab, and figure out what has gone sideways for Alexis d As in the last year. And the Dodgers are probably better equipped to do that than the Cincinnati Reds. Sorry track record, just saying so, I'm really excited about Alexis Das. The Dodgers need innings from somebody capable out of the bullpen, and I'm not putting down Tanner Scott. He is very capable and the Dodgers just want to see him be as capable as he has been the last couple of years. He has blown more saves this year than he did all of last year. He only blew two saves last year in bleue and has blown five already. He just doesn't look like the same guy. And I thought Matt mney Smith a rare, good question, good baseball question for money. Why did the Dodgers even tinker with Tanner Scott. You sign him for a reason, Let him be that guy, and maybe now that will happen. Nobody's really given me a straight answer on how they've gotten Tanner Scott to throw more strikes, and that's when things were going good. So we'll see whether or not anybody can give me a straight answer on what they have changed that has made him a lot more hittable this year than last year. And look, when it comes to talking to the media, it's not about me. It's not about the reporters in the clubhouse. It's a message to the rest of his teammates. You're the highest paid reliever in that bullpen. You have the second highest relief pitcher contract in baseball. Josh Hater has the first one, you have the next. You've got to make it known that you're standing up in front of your locker and you're gonna take the heat. Don't sit in your locker, don't just be there, be there, Craig Kimberl had a horrific time as a Dodger closer after Kenley Jansen left. Every time he had heartbreaking blown saves, he made it known it was his responsibility to talk and not anybody else. That was my only point yesterday. And I like Tanner Scott. We get along. He may not like me anymore, but I still like him, and I still believe that Tanner Scott is going to get his season on track. It just hasn't happened yet for whatever reason. And the Dodgers need him if they're going where they need to go. They need Tanner Scott, especially now with Blake Trining, Evan Phillips, Kirby Yates, who else am I missing? Bruce dar Graderol Michael Kopek all on the shelf. They can't afford to have blown saves in the eighth inning, ninth inning. I mean, he blew a save in New York that sent the game into thirteen innings. It's just not a good residual for the rest of the team. And it's not his inning, it's the team's inning. Eight six, six, nine, eighty seven, two, five seventy is the phone number before we hear from Andre Ethier. I mean, we're Petro some Money, really serious with Paul Skeen's trade questions. I'll give you three names later in the show that are realistic trade targets for the Dodgers. Don't go anywhere. We have a full bo board of calls. We are going to get to you and we will let you know the three names that I have on my short list already for the Dodgers to target close to July thirty first, and Paul Skeens is not on it. Petro some Money, they love unicorns, they love rainbows. I don't live in that world. I live right here in reality. Eight six six ninety seven two five seventy is the phone number off day Dodger Talk with you until eight o'clock tonight right here on a five to seventy LA Sports, Welcome back to Dodger Talk. David Vasse with you until eight o'clock as we get set for the big World Series rematch beginning tomorrow night at Dodgers Stadium. Max Freed and Sino Zone will be on the mound for the Yankees going up against Tony Gonsolin. And we're joined right now by a man that couldn't stay away from Southern California. He wanted to get close to the heat. He didn't want to get too close with the Dodgers in first place in the NL West, the Yankees back in town for the World Series. A man that spent his entire Major League career with one team, and that is in Dodger Blue. He's a Gold Glover, he's a silver slugger, he's an All Star, and he's number one in your program, Mine, Andre, eighth year, Andre, thanks a lot for joining us finally on Dodger Talk this year.
Speaker 6: A commercial break after that intro.
Speaker 3: My goodness, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean it's hard. You're a hard guy to get a hold of these days.
Speaker 6: Hey, we're we're I think we talked right before we started taping this.
Speaker 3: We're almost sixty games of the season. You finally gave me the.
Speaker 6: Signal from the bullpen to come in and let me get on the show. So I appreciate it. And yeah, I'm in Southern California for the last couple of weeks hanging out and yeah, looking forward.
Speaker 3: To the series.
Speaker 6: This uh miss speaking there in LA I was actually gonna go up and see it until I found out that my Son Devils from Arizona State are in the UCLA hosted regional this weekend, so I kind of did a pivot and I'm gonna go see some college beat fall action this weekend with the Sun Devils, Irvine, Fresno State, and UCLA Bruins there all at fourteen Regional UCLA this weekend, So a fun time, bottom a lot of baseball in the LA area, and who knows, maybe some good future Dodgs out there on that airs unstay tee.
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm surprised you're going to that and not going to Anaheim for the Savannah Bananas. I thought maybe you might be the guest star for the Savannah Bananas tomorrow.
Speaker 6: Hey, you know, I don't I don't like anything Anaheim, and I don't consider that a part of what we do down there. I think I like those parts of that hobviers down there in Crystal Cove.
Speaker 3: I'll go down there to hang out.
Speaker 6: Hobbyers and have a few drinks there watching the sunset, but other than that, I don't need to go to the Angel Stadium for anything. A'll wait for the Bananas to be in Donders Stadium and maybe I'll have my guest appearance.
Speaker 2: Well, well, Hobbers is a big, a big fan of Dodger talk and David Vasse Senior and junior. They love me, but I heard they are lukewarm on you.
Speaker 6: That's all right, I like I like the margaritas enough to give a pass for the too good fa for me. Good time, great food. Yeah, it's good to be back in California for a few weeks and uh, you know, hanging out watching a lot of Dodger baseball actually there on this last road trip, and it's fun to see that.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 6: I think they went out and did pretty well in that road trip. It was kind of the beginning of a tough stretch for them, and I think they did pretty well, you know too, you know, a tough New York series and obviously it's always tough to go into Cleveland and play games, and you know, they handled business so too.
Speaker 2: How much do you believe players, especially now, don't appreciate just the attention and the microscope they are going to be under when they're playing with sho Heyo Tani and they're part of a team that is coming off a big time World Series championship. Do we have to give Tanner Scott and Michael Confordo. And I know Blake Snell hasn't pitched a lot, but a little bit more grace to get used to their new environment.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna be very I wouldn't say litical, but I'll be very upfront. I don't I couldn't even tell you because you know what, Unfortunately, I've never got to play with the player of shows caliber, and I never got experience to play after a World Series win. So you know that being said, the game has changed a lot the last six seven years that I've been out, and uh, the Dodgers, for that, you know, has changed so much. You know, the lights bigger, the lights of brighter. Uh, you know, unbelievable what the you know, team you know, front office ownership, fans have done to elevate this team to the forefront one of the main uh you know, premiere organizations in all Major League Baseball. Yes, so I will say just from that experience of knowing going into some of those you know, playing in l A, going into big markets, Yes, the lights of brighter. Uh, the microscope is is that much more fine? The grace doesn't get so, you know, so leaning when you're not performing and what do the fans what do What does this coaching staff, what does this front office expect? They expect another World Series? And rightfully so. So there's no days off, there's no years off. It's get right back at it. It's the same team, maybe even better bullpen, maybe even better pitching. You know, offense is the same. Maybe some key guys that were had it on and there's no excuses not too and I think that's just a part of adding those guys who might have not played recently with teams.
Speaker 3: In that area.
Speaker 2: All right, here's something you know about because during your time with the Dodgers you were considered, and rightfully so, as being one of the most clutch players in Major League Baseball. Can you explain to us, and it's kind of lost in the analytics of baseball these days, just the difference between being in the batter's box with a runner at second base or third base or both runners in scoring position, compared to coming to the plate when nobody on base and being counted on as a run producer.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's it's that's tough both sides. You know, there's so many nuances to the game that we have to look at And that's you know, something I'm constantly trying to teach you know, younger players and stuff now is it's not purely just go up there, seatball, hit ball, and whatever happens happens.
Speaker 3: You know, there's a game.
Speaker 6: You know, you've you've heard it how many times say, there's a game within a game right there and there untill he is, And there's a game within the game of the game. Because each inning, you know, you can break it down to thirds, first, third innings, middle, you know, second, third innings, and the last three innings. There's different things that hitters top to bottom are asked to do and they're expected to do, uh and those change according to the situation. And that's a part of being a good baseball players. You have to be able to adapt to, you know, a lot of those different possibilities. A guy like Show Hey, it's simple, it's get up there, drive the ball as hard as you know, as hard as you can off the bat, and hit it as far as you can and hope you can get the points. But you see himself give himself up in certain situations and and you know, try to get a ball, you know, pull side, try to you know, make make sure he's making contact, put a ball in play.
Speaker 3: Stuff like that. And then guys who might not hit.
Speaker 6: Homers all the time, you know, late in the game you might be expected to drive a ball to the wall rather than just that's you know that good contact lines d I swing.
Speaker 3: That gets the base runner going. So being a good.
Speaker 6: Baseball player, you have to know all the possibilities.
Speaker 3: You have to know.
Speaker 6: Your you know limits, what your possibilities are of your own talents and go out there and whatever the situation calls for.
Speaker 2: Andre Ethier, the Man, the Myth, the legend, making his premier appearance during this season on Dodger Talk. Do you have a Superior Grocer's word? Are the day for us today? Or is that just during the games?
Speaker 3: Just through the games?
Speaker 6: But yes, the Prayer Grocers, you know, they're they're a good partner of mine, and I've been happy to be on board and we've been having a great time the last two years together and being on this great run with the Dodgers and Superior Grocers is a place with all your needs.
Speaker 2: Your last year was twenty seventeen. Are you still taking off guard how much the fans still love and appreciate everything you did for your twelve year major league career.
Speaker 6: Uh, yeah, I do because I'm trying to be you know, I try to say, you know, I just went out there and did it to you know, play the game right way, and obviously, well I was playing the game the right way for the fans and and uh, you know, make them proud of, you know, not only me, but making proud of to be a Dodger fan, and try to elevate uh you know, the city, elevate everything, you know, to be representative of what we see on that hat, which is LA. And yeah, you know everything that everything I tried to do obviously was to have the most success, you know, for myself and family, but was for those reasons also. And you know, I have this love and fondness for LA, for all the fans and the way they've treated me all those years. And yeah, there's there's no better feeling than walking back into Dodger Stadium, which still feels like home every time I step in it, and you know, getting a chance to hear and express you know, with you know here fans how they talk to me, and then I get expressed, you know, some of the things that I might not ever get a chance to say when I was a player, because you're so focused and concentrated and sometimes even guarded, uh for yourself. But it's nice to be able to be in this position to you know, go to some of the things I do and be around the stadium and get a share, uh, you know, my appreciation for the fans back, you know.
Speaker 3: To them.
Speaker 2: Do you miss the game?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I miss it every every day, think about it. That's that's the one thing that's kind of kind of weird, uh to be because you know, there's a lot of professions where you might be able to get back and get experience and taste of it again. And you know, when you're done playing professional sports, it's when it's done.
Speaker 3: It's done.
Speaker 6: There's no uh kind of going back, especially baseball, football, basketball, going back and just you know, giving it one more shot, you know, for the most part, unless your many roo mirrors and they're still swinging.
Speaker 3: The batting page.
Speaker 6: Yeah, like you see like you see the videos all the time. But yeah, every day sometimes somethings more, some days not.
Speaker 3: I don't miss it.
Speaker 6: I mean I was just throwing uh balls, the whiffle balls on the beach with my daughter while she's hitting, and you know it's I would be lying if I didn't say, flashbacks come in my head just standing there, you know, throwing, you just have flashes of you know, hey, yet, this time ten years ago, while I was getting ready to play, you know, the the.
Speaker 3: New York Yankees at Dodger.
Speaker 6: Stadium on a you know, a three game set, and in set, I'm sitting on the beach. But yeah, there's there's always lots of reminders. And then, you know, I got two older boys who were playing baseball, you know, quite a bit, and out there, you know, using my rolodex of of experience and and gameplay and practice and all the things I saw and the and seeing to help them, uh, you know, better prepare and and form a game plan to make them the most successful they can, uh, you know, for their uh you know, baseball crewers.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you're on the beach having flashbacks to playing catch with while you're throwing to your daughter. Who is Andre Ethier's favorite catch partner in your career?
Speaker 6: Well, favorite catch powers that that's easy?
Speaker 3: Matt Camp.
Speaker 2: Wow, Hey, you make us all feel good when you say that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Mat can't by far was my favorite catch partner. He is my catch partner for was.
Speaker 3: That eight years, eight years, nine years.
Speaker 6: There with my catch partner, you know, every day out there spring training to end of the season, playoffs, the whole thing. Uh you know, it wasn't even it was only playing catch, but was also just catching up and talking, uh, you know about life at the beginning. You know, was sitting there fifteen twenty feet away talking about life, talking about whatever you did last night, talked about will you tomorrow, talking about who you're facing that day. All kinds of things happen in those conversations when you see but not a lot of you know, people get to see that unless you come to the ball field early, sometimes on the road and you know, see the opposing team playing catch or you know that's how at two thirty three o'clock in the afternoon when we're out there really doing our first you know, warm up with the day and we're out there having those conversations, uh, you know, preparing for the game that night.
Speaker 2: After Matt Camp left and Cody Bellinger emerged in your final season, his rookie year was Cody Bellinger. Every year catch partner.
Speaker 6: He was occasy, But who was my actually catch partner all right, after Matt left was Matt Ower was Josh Peterson. Oh okay, so Jock was my catch partner after that. And it was when it was when it was just not being my catch.
Speaker 3: Part it was more of comedy hour I was.
Speaker 6: I would sit there just crack up about this guy all the time and all the you know, the antics and stuff that he always had going on. And that sparked pretty good for me because it was, you know, great to play catch with a young up and coming player that you know, had that.
Speaker 3: Enthusiasm and just like newness of the game.
Speaker 6: And they kind of reminded me of, you know, to be appreciative of you know, where we're at, because you know, that's the one thing you can you know, you hear and tells the whole time. As baseball is, you know, the old players will grow up being the new players are too happy, and sometimes it's going to put yourself in the young player's shoes again as a as an old player, just see how fun and and how much uh, you know, how new and how exciting the game was when you first came up.
Speaker 2: Those are great stories. I love hearing that, and I know fans love hearing that kind of stuff. Before I let you go, I asked fans to call in again tonight. With the Dodgers and Yankees getting set for tomorrow. Where were you when Freddie Freeman hit his walk off Grand Slam? And did you feel like it was going to happen?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 6: I I don't know what it was. The glands Lad was going to happen. I thought, definitely, we're getting hit in that situation, and you know things were gonna I was actually catting the lineup and see who.
Speaker 3: Was behind him, to see how we were setting up for that.
Speaker 6: But I knew he was going to get something done. I could just feel it. It was like one of those, you know moments that those great clutch hits for the Dodgers that you see replayed in history that I mean, you don't want to be jump on, but the giftson home run that replayed a thousand times inside the stadium every time I played there when the team was behind.
Speaker 3: You know, it was one of those moments that were.
Speaker 6: Setting up for there. And I was actually sitting at a baseball game in Phoenix watching what my kids playing when it happened, and I just see, you could hear the little four pack of you know, baseball fields. At these club games, you could hear the four pack of people at the fans. He could hear cheering and groaning all at the same time of all the parents and everyone watching the game, watching the kids games, but all watching the World Series on the phone.
Speaker 2: Hey, how's your guy at Noble Bakery in Phoenix handling it? Because every time you take me there, he's got a Yankee hat on. He's mister New York. How is he handling the Dodgers being the Yankees daddy?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 6: Jared Darre my guy. Darren's actually funny story is we hopped on a plate the next day out together as he too, and yeah, yeah, yeah, so he was.
Speaker 3: He took it.
Speaker 6: He took it better. You know the Yankee fans they like to say, well we have twenty actually, well you one, you won twenty of them when there's only four.
Speaker 3: Teams in the league.
Speaker 6: So, uh, you know that's that's what time might joke to him about that. But yeah, he took it pretty well. And uh he makes the great flies of pizza over there. I think we've had lunch there together.
Speaker 2: Right, great spot, great spot. I recommend it. Great guy. He's one of the few fans.
Speaker 3: That we like, Yes, one of few.
Speaker 6: And you know what I missed me and you getting a slice of pizza in downtown La at Prince at Prince Street Pizza. I had a couple a couple of years ago. We got a slice together there.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, the games, you know, all the spots. Still you're still the king of foodie.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Prince Street, Prince Street Pizza one of my favorite places to grab a place in downtown Pile shooter again, I love it.
Speaker 2: We actually were having this debate during the rain delay where the best slice of pizza is in La and you just you just solved the answer for all of us.
Speaker 3: Well, here's the stadium.
Speaker 6: I like that. Prince Street my still favorites maybe kind of I mean forgotten or maybe not, but I like Oysteria or Pizzaia Moza. Oh yeah, they're on Melros and Highland. That's you know, one of my favorite all time places. I think they kind of were at the forefront of just going to a restaurant to sit down and have a whole pie type restaurant was based around the pizza pie. And yeah, it's kind of one of those great slices that you forget is there. But every time you have it, and if you've had it before, it just as like, oh yeah, I remember this.
Speaker 2: Great memory, and certainly everybody in Los Angeles remembers them and appreciates how you just left it all out on the field, no regrets, and we can't wait to see you back at Dodger Stadium soon.
Speaker 6: Well, thank you, appreciate it, and uh yeah, I'm having fun time watching this team, and you know, watching this Dodger, this brand, this new brand of Dodger Baseball, and this next generation of guys. It's exciting to see and exciting to you know, still be somewhat a part of the organization and get a chance to you know, see it kind of firsthand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't wait to do this in person. We'll see you on this homestand maybe.
Speaker 6: All right, appreciate it and go Sun Devils this week at the UTLA Regional. I know you don't like that, but yeah.
Speaker 2: For them, I mean, I'll pretend that you have a chance to win. But John Savage is my guy.
Speaker 3: All right, all right, we'll.
Speaker 2: Hear the fork, all right, Andre Ethier, We'll send him on his way. Appreciate him coming on the show tonight. Got to get him on more often, but I told him, when I'm at the stadium, I'm doing in person interviews. I'm not doing phone interviews. So another off night or another opportunity, we'll have Andre Ethier on. Those were great stories about playing catch with Matt Camp and Jock Peterson, just big kids out there and love hearing those stories. All Right, We're gonna take our last time out on Dodger Talk. We have a full board of calls. I promise we are getting to all of you, and I'll let you know the three names on my short list already for the trade deadline. The Dodgers already made, in my opinion, a trade that is going to benefit them whenever Alexis Daz comes up and contributes to the bullpen. He was an All Star just two seasons ago. He's a Dodger now, and the Dodgers gave up nothing for him. Alexis Das, the former closer for the Reds, is now a Dodger. More Dodger Talk until eight o'clock right here on five to seventy LA Sports on the iHeartRadio app Dodger Talk. You could preset Dodger Talk at the alert. Subscribe all that and you won't miss any of the interviews or any of the shows. Andre Ethier appreciate him joining us, and you might see him out there at Jackie Robinson Stadium watching UCLA beat Arizona State this weekend. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number Dodgers Yankees tomorrow night at Dodgers Stadium. Our coverage begins at six o'clock, first pitch at seven ten. Max Freed on the mound for the Yankees going up against Tony Gonsolin and of course Freddie Freeman against the Yankees for the first time since last year's World Series, and he'll see the Yankees again at Dodger Stadium after making history with that walk off grand Slam in Game one of the World Series. Let's go out to the phones. I told you I would get to the phones tonight, Pasadena. Fobby In, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing.
Speaker 3: I'm doing great, Dave?
Speaker 10: How you doing?
Speaker 2: I'm probably wonderful. We've established you're doing good. I'm doing good. So what do you got?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 10: My story relating to the Freddie Freeman Grand Slam is pretty ordinary, but I mean, it's something that I'll remember for the rest of my life. I was at Victory Park in Pasadena. I was just finished coaching my back to back soccer games. I had been kind of listening to the game with one year but in my ear and not really paying attention because I was trying to focus on kind of coaching as well. When I'm kind of loading my gear, it's kind of like eight thirty. I'm kind of loading my gear to the back of my truck. I'm trying to visualize what's going on. Steven Nelson's trying to paint a picture. The bases are loaded, you know, Freddie Freeman comes up to bat, and I'm thinking, you know, a base hit will win, right, you know, just two runs, it's all we need. When all of a sudden, you know, he makes the call that it's a Grand Slam. I honestly, I could not believe that it was a Grand Slam. I was just like, my dreaming, is it is this for real?
Speaker 2: Did you hear him streaming through the radio or did you hear him screaming all the way from Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 10: I heard him screaming from God, and then I started screaming louder than he because I was so excited. I mean, I went to the I went to the playground, I started telling all the parents that that what had just happened. It was it was amazing, it was aesome. It's so amazing that I had to dedicate one of my one of my walls in my office with the image of the statue of Liberty shot. It's it's just it was a fantastic shots. It's iconic, something I'll remember the rest of my life.
Speaker 2: Love it. Thank you for sharing that. That's a great story. I love hearing those stories. We my generation had those stories when we were watching Kirk Gibson's home run, and it's just incredible how many parallels there were between Freddie Freeman's Grand Slam and Kirk Gibson's home run in in the World Series, both game ones. Both guys were hobbling with multiple injury that were preventing them from being the player that we are accustomed to see them being. Freddie not only the right ankle but also the rib cage and all that, And where the ball landed was in the same area where Kirk Gibson hit his home run. And then you know, the iconic Kirk Gibson image of him with the arm up going up first base, hobbling up to first base as he's getting ready to round the rest of the bases. Freddie Freeman with the Statue of Liberty, great description pose and look back at his dad. And also, you know, Kirk Gibson started pumping his arms his fists going around second base, and Freddie Freeman had that type of moment as well. If you remember, Freddie Freeman did the flex as he is running second base to third base towards the bullpen. So just so many parallels to those moments. And look, Freddie Freeman's not thinking about Kirk Gibson at that moment in time. He's just really excited. They won Game one of the World Series on a walkoff grand Slam that has never happened before in baseball history. Let's go out to a joy in Alpine. You're on Dodgery Talk.
Speaker 3: How you doing, Hey, what's.
Speaker 9: Up, Dave? I'm good, Thanks for asking. Man. Hey, So my story is pretty simple but pretty cool. I think I was watching the game here at home in Alpine, and you know, it got pretty dicey there and we got a call that we found out we were going to game two, so I was actually packing for game two to make the drive from from Alpine to la We got to stay at the Western and it was pretty a pretty cool time, and so that that was my story for game one there. But I wanted to for always calling out the factions yesterday. You know, I know you got all heat on Petros and and from a lot of people, but hey, I always appreciate that. Man. Uh, you know, those type of fans make the rest of us look bad. And I know that we have very factions that don't like Roberts and don't like you know, everybody has their thing right their course, but I appreciate you at least keeping it real. And the Judge scene, I have cousins and a Yankee fans. It was an awesome time to have a group chat. And I always said my cousin the same meme, which is the World Series Trophy. Beam dropped on the pop up with Judge because he always wants to to oh Joy, Oh.
Speaker 2: Joy, do you mean this? Do you mean this?
Speaker 7: Play?
Speaker 2: I Ronnie? Do we have that play right now?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yes, another row too, Tommy, I'm been the center field. Judge comes on and will hang up.
Speaker 4: Well, he cls center, he clanks it flank, he dropped the ball, kick k goes the second, he slides in safely. He initially turned back to first second judge, make the ketge?
Speaker 2: You want to hear Boomer Siasin playing that on his WFA N show. Everybody's just trying to sweep that under the rug. It's the one of the words, you know, it plays by any great player in a World series. Yet nobody keeps the receipts on this guy.
Speaker 9: Thank you, thank you. And the other one. I keep receipts on this The two beams, I said to them all the time, is when Gary Whole points at first base all embarrassing in the Game five. To try to take you back to another series game.
Speaker 2: They id, you want to talk about an implosion of epic proportions. It was the Yankees in the fifth inning of Game five, and we loved every minute of it. Thank you very much, New York, New York, New York. All right, a joy, great phone call. Thanks for the call. Call back after one of these Yankee games. I'll be on from Dodgers Stadium. Hey, speaking of the games this weekend, they're all on National TV. But they're all going to be heard right here on a five seventy LA Sports Rick Monday, Steven Nelson. And how about this. I found out watching Apple that you can get the simulcast of the home radio while you're watching the broadcast. On Apple. They have a toggle bottom right hand corner. You can go to Dodgers' home radio and listen to Rick and Steven and they'll know all the rules of the game. It's incredible. Let's go out to heyzeus in the Grade one eight San Fernando Valley. What's up? Heyesus, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 9: Was good? The dog?
Speaker 2: Oh, everything's great. I'm feeling good. I'm excited for this series and excited for one Soto to show up on Monday.
Speaker 3: That's what's up?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 11: So maya Freddie Freeman walk off story is I got invited to Martia's house, my aunt's house for I got him outsize. You know how we do this?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yeah, the game.
Speaker 11: The only thing was I'm really the only Diehard event in there because my pups was in Mexico, so the ground time happens. One thing I don't see people talk about is that when when Freddie was running third.
Speaker 5: He hit that that.
Speaker 11: Eron Judge roll called gerrilla emo, whatever the hell he calls it. He hit it on him and he was running third. I love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well he was flexing towards the bullpen. I missed that part of it, so you were the only.
Speaker 11: True thing was the eron Judge thing.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, it was Freddy rounding Second Bay, going to third and flexing towards the bullpen. The Aaron Judge clank is something that I'll remind everybody of every one of these three games, even though the national and New York media want to curry favor with Aaron Judge and will pretend like it never happened. No, Runny, can we hear that one more time, just to remind everybody? Uh the Buckner play for Aaron Judge in his career last year. Go ahead, here, here we go.
Speaker 1: He zeus, Tommy, I've been to center field. Judge comes on and will hang up.
Speaker 2: Well, he cons he clanks it.
Speaker 4: Clank, He dropped the ball goes the second he slides in safely. He initially turned back to first ink and Judge make the catch.
Speaker 2: Clank clank. Did you hear that? Heyesus clank. You can hear that from Long Island to La.
Speaker 11: Yeah, if you listen closely, you hear it. Go when it hits his clothes.
Speaker 4: Yep, clanks it, et cetera. He clanks it. There it issident, he clanks it. Oh, clank, thanks azeus.
Speaker 2: Appreciate. I ate the phone call. Yeah, that was the beginning of the end for the Yankees. In that fifth inning, Tommy Edmond sending a routine fly ball to New York's favorite son, Aaron Judge, who clanked it, and that started the snowball effect where Garrett Cole and Anthony Rizzo they were wondering who was going to cover first base, and then Anthony Volpi made a bad throw to the third base, and then ta Oscar Hernandez tied the game with a two run double. Yeah, you know he likes it. Clank, clank, that's the clank. New York does not want you to remember.
Speaker 4: He clanks it.
Speaker 2: We're here to hold him accountable, Aaron Judge. And if you're going to the game this weekend, I'm not sure if Judge he's even going to play the outfield, but when he comes to the plate, maybe remind him about that clank. He clanks it. Oh yeah, let's go out to Richard and Fullerton. You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi Richard, Hey.
Speaker 5: Dave, A big fan of yours, listened to you over the years. Is my first time calling in?
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 5: I wanted to mention.
Speaker 2: Uh, tell's my voice tonight much better?
Speaker 5: It's better?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: All right? Is well? I just want to mention that that I heard Aaron Judge change his middle name to Buckner.
Speaker 2: Oh you see what you did there?
Speaker 3: He cleans it.
Speaker 2: He should change his middle name to Aaron klank Judge. He guy has the worst betting average than Alex Rodriguez. In October he makes one of the biggest clanks in Baseball World Series history, and everybody just glosses over it, doesn't remind him of it once. I mean, you talk about a world that has gone soft. That's New York sports media.
Speaker 5: I agree you're preaching to the choir in that one. But the reason why I called is I just want to get your thoughts on Max Montsie. I know, offensively, he's had his challenges, but he's really becoming a liability on the defensive side. In fact, yesterday he extended that aning for Tanner Scott and I'm not forgeting any with you know, Tanner not pitching well, but he really is making it really hard on the Dodgers defensively, just with his miscues. He has eight errors and what fifty four games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he had a rough road trip, no doubt about it. Defensively, he's got to clean it up. You got to clean it up.
Speaker 5: What's the answer. I mean, are the Dodgers going to trade for someone? I mean, and you know it's his last year of his contract. They have a ten million dollar option for next year. But I'm really struggling with his defensive liability.
Speaker 2: Richard.
Speaker 5: I Livesey Richard.
Speaker 2: I know they're not moving him to second base. Max Munsey has got to start playing better, not just hitting better, playing better or I'm a big advocate of more Key k Hernandez at third base. You got to he's going to play better defense. I mean, we can all agree on that he's a better defensive player at third base. Offensively, he's not a guy you want out there every day. And that's why I'm not saying completely bench Max month see, but there's got to be a shared time at third base.
Speaker 5: If this continues, what timeline do you think that would occur at the end of this month, the end of June.
Speaker 3: I don't know anything.
Speaker 2: Ask me at the end of this homestand I'll be emotional either way.
Speaker 5: Well, you are emotional today, which I really appreciate because you tell it as it is, and I you know, honestly, I appreciate that you're not a homer.
Speaker 2: I grew up with Vin Scully and Don Drysdale and Rick Monday and Charlie Steiner. None of those guys are homers exactly.
Speaker 5: So well, again, I appreciate you taking my call, and thank you all right.
Speaker 2: Richard, thanks for the phone call. Yes, I will be emotional one way or the other. By next Thursday, a week from tonight, I will be very emotional. Either the Dodgers took care of business against the New York teams, or New York came to town and made me very upset. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Speaking of trades, I told you that I had a short list of realistic trade targets, not Paul Skeens. I mean, I thought I'd put that to bed, but then all of a sudden I walk into the radio station today and Petros and Tim Kates and Money want me to talk about the Paul Skeens trade. I said, Paul Skeen's trade.
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, Yeah, it's in the athletic Yeah, I don't care where it is. It's not happening. If it is, you could put me in a dunk tank in the parking lot at Dodgers Stadium and have it for two hours. Yes, Ronnie, you'll be first in line. Yes, but it's not happening. The Pirates are not trading Paul Skins. And do you really believe twenty nine other teams want the Pirates to trade Paul Skeens to the Dodgers. Trust me, there are other teams that would have something to say about that. So, nonetheless, that's unicorns and rainbows for Tim Kates on Olive Avenue and Petros down there on the hill. But here is a real name. They lost again in a double header to the Phillies Interer Division loss. The Atlanta Braves are currently twenty six and twenty nine. They are not going to win the NAT least, they are not going to win a wildcard. Their ship is sinking fast. The guy that Dodgers need at the trade deadline is none other than raining Cy Young Award winner in the National League, Chris Sail. Chris Sale. He is the guy. His era this year is three zero six. He threw six scoreless innings to night against the Phillies and a loss. This guy has the Walker Bueller type of gene. You remember seeing the Red Sox bullpen standing oh for Chris Sale when he came out of those gates at Dodgers Stadium in Game five of the twenty eighteen World Series. That guy is a dog. The Dodgers need some dogs in their rotation. He would be that guy for October. I am all in for the Dodgers to trade for Chris Sale Ryan Helsley from the Cardinals. That's a must have for me too. Would you rule out Josh Hater? The Astros are going nowhere. Money's no object, we know that. And how about Walker Buehler. The Red Socks are incomplete dysfunction right now, dysfunction. He signed a one year deal with the Red Sox. If he continues to prove that he's healthy, why wouldn't you consider Walker Buehler? Those are my three realistic trade targets. Chris Sale, Walker Bueller, and Ryan Helsley from the Cardinals. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. And I understand if the Dodgers don't want to go back to Walker Buehler, but Chris Sale would be the guy. He would be the guy. And by the way, my guy Blake's now he better start pitching soon. The Dodgers need him. No more of this stuff. He better get back on that mound. I'm talking to you, snail Zilla right now. I am talking to you. I know you're listening. Let's go out to Caleb in bell You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Caleb?
Speaker 3: Good? Good dad?
Speaker 12: Yeah, take you off speaker there, yeah, bell Flower, Actually.
Speaker 2: All right, Bellflower. Okay, gotcha?
Speaker 12: Uh yeah, how you doing, man.
Speaker 2: I'm doing fine, we get it. We're doing great. You're in Bellflower. Your name is Caleb. You want to tell us where you were when Freddy Freeman hit his grand Slam?
Speaker 12: I do I do real quick fun fact to add onto your similarities between Freeman's and Gibson's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, here we go, Caleb.
Speaker 12: I read that they were hit at exactly the same time.
Speaker 3: Too.
Speaker 2: Okay, there too. I forgot. I forgot whether or not that is accurate or not. But I am going to double check that I had heard that. Is that a myth? Is that myth? Sounds like that's Babe Ruth pointing and calling you shot type of myth.
Speaker 9: Well, I don't know.
Speaker 12: We have to look into that. I know it's at eight thirty seven pm.
Speaker 2: But one thing we can agree on is Aaron Judge clinked that fly ball in the fifth inning last year, right, Caleb.
Speaker 12: Oh, no doubt on that one.
Speaker 3: That was his moment, no doubt.
Speaker 2: All right, what do you got where you were? I want to hear where Caleb and Bellflower was?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 12: Well, me and my son were actually at.
Speaker 2: The game, No way, that's great.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 12: We were sitting in Section twenty three reserve level, stayed for the whole thing as usual. We never we never dip out early to void traffic. I could care less.
Speaker 2: Caleb the game, Caleb low Key, Reserve twenty three is a great value seat, especially for a World Series.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 12: Oh, it was beautiful.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 12: We were right on the aisle. I mean we were right, you know, right above the base there.
Speaker 6: It was.
Speaker 12: It was one of the most I mean I mean, the best baseball moment ever in my life, first of all, and to share it with my son. He was nine years old at the time. I mean, it was just fantastic and and I just couldn't believe it. But as soon as he did it, it was like a like a just a silence where it came over the stadium. I still get goosebumps talking about it, but I'm doing it went from silence just to automatic just roar of the crowd, and I swear to god, nobody wanted to leave their seat for twenty minutes after that. We just all stood there in amazement, just watching, you know, cheering, hugging, whatever.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 12: The two fans that were next to me because they were Yankee dance.
Speaker 2: Hey, Caleb, that's a moment your son will never forget. He'll always tell his kids and his kids kids that he was at that game with his dad. So awesome story hearing the father's son stories. And you got off to a slow start, but you finished, Stronk. So thank you for calling.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 12: I just didn't want you cut off before I could give that out.
Speaker 2: Thank you sure never Thank you, Caleb. I appreciate it, like I told Fernando Venezuela once. Everybody gets hung up on at some point, some sooner than others, but eventually I have to hang up and move on. Fernando is the best. I miss him and I love the Dodgers still wearing that thirty four patch on their jerseys all season long. That'll do it for us Tonight on a great off day Dodger Talk show. Thanks to Andre Ethier for calling in during his beach vacation, Thanks to Ronnie Fossio for all his help, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. That's also where you can find our conversation with Andre Ehier. Tomorrow night, our coverage begins at six o'clock with Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck, hosted by Tim Dight's First Pitch between the Dodgers and Yankees with Rick Monday and Steven Nelson. At seven ten Petro Some Money. We'll be broadcasting live from Dodgers Stadium, So a full day of Dodger coverage. And here is my one question for you, Polly Fritzy, are we going to talk about the Dodgers Yankees tomorrow morning. Have a great rest of your night. Sea