Speaker 1: The Dodgers and Diamondbacks getting set for Game three of this four game series. And we joined right now by a man that had a big game last night for the Dodgers and is starting at shortstop today, and that's the one and only Tommy Edmond. Tommy, thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, thank you. It's been a fun couple of games so far out here in Arizona.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it tough to go to sleep after the excitement and the adrenaline of the last two games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a little bit. You know, it's definitely a challenge, you know, getting the heart rate up a little bit, but got to our best to get some rest before these, especially this day game today.
Speaker 1: Last night, not only did you come up with a big base hit in the ninth inning, but also made a great catch in center field off of Jordis Guriels bat. Can you put both of those into context as far as how big each play was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I mean it was obviously huge to come through for the team. I know we've had a lot of a huge clutch hits just in the past couple of weeks since I've been here, so, you know, just trying to contribute to trying to put them all in play and give us a chance to win. And I'm just staying on my toes in the field.
Speaker 1: I know you're new to the team to see Otani, Bets and Freeman all in the same lineup, But how special was it, even as a teammate to witness that first inning?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know if I've ever seen that, or I definitely haven't seen that. Back to back to back homers I'll start off the game and you know, kind of set the tone and and our offense just kept coming at them. I think we had like sixteen hits yesterday, so you know, we uh, our offense has just been doing a really good job these first couple of games.
Speaker 1: Tommy, the best way people have described you is you're a baseball player and you understand just the situation, what it calls for. How impressive has it been to see not just yourself, but the rest of the lineup be able to have team at bats in the first two games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the lineup's been great, you know. I mean, we have so many good hitters just up and down the lineup. You know, there's no real uh, no real holes in the lineup, so you know, everybody just does a great job of keeping the line moving in and uh, you know, putting together competitive at batch throughout the game.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like you're feeding off each other? I know the first two games of the series heighten intensity, sellout crowd, biggest crowd of the year at Chase Field, a lot of them Dodger fans. But doesn't feel like you're feeding off of that and feeding off each other's at bats?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Absolutely, you know, hitting contagious. We see our teammates have great at bats, you know, like we you know, gives us confidence as well, so kind of just you know, up and down the lineup. We uh, we've been really consistent in the past couple of games, and I know that's what our lineup looks like when we're when we're at our best.
Speaker 1: Tommy Edmond is our guest in front of first pitch between the Diamondbacks and Dodgers last night. Got the start in center field today at shortstop. I was looking at how many games you have played at each position. You haven't played that many games at shortstop, but it feels like that's like a natural home for you. How are you able to be as good as you are in center and short even though second base is the position you've played the most.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I've I mean I actually probably played the shortstop the most in my life. I played all shortstop growing up, mostly during college, So I don't know, I feel like I've always been comfortable a shortstop regardless. And just making sure I'm staying fresh there and getting all my reps.
Speaker 1: And what's the biggest transition from the outfield to shortstop, Because they're both vital and they're both up the middle, so I'm sure you're getting the same looks from the catcher. Is there a big difference from going from center one day to shortstop the next?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, just staying on your toes. You're obviously a lot closer to the action at shortstop than in center field. Then you've got to being more involved in like the running game and you know, holding runners on double play stuff like that, And so just making sure I'm staying engaged and mentally locked in.
Speaker 1: When you come out here before the game to get your reps. And what purpose is that for? Is it to just get familiar with the dirt here in Arizona.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's part of it. You know, the dirt here is pretty hard. It's pretty quick. It's fast in LA too, but it just comes off a little bit differently, so I'm just making sure I'm being aware of that as the game gets going.
Speaker 1: How much fun is Tommy had been having these days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's awesome. It's been a great time here so far.
Speaker 1: All right, tom thanks a lot for the time. Really appreciate it, and we love watching you play every day. It really is a treat.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much. Appreciate it's been fun and being here