Speaker 1: Good morning, it's the Minnesota. Goodbye, Billy and myself, Jenny. We're going to be doing this together today.
Speaker 2: Mom.
Speaker 1: Maybe we'll hop on later, but he is kind of busy with some work right now, so we'll jump right into emails. First off, this person doesn't want us to say their name. They say Hi, Jenny, BoNT and Bailey. Since Dave's on vacation, I want to write in with my perspective on a view that he has. I do like him and the quality content you all produce. But Dave is fascinated would the advantages good looking people have. I'm fascinated at the advantage rich people like Dave have. He's a humble guy, so he'll say he's not rich, but he's definitely well off. I know he worked really hard to be where he is, and I respect that.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 1: I do really like Dave. When the show had interns and that program ended because iHeart had to start paying them, he was not content with this decision and believes that interns should work for free because that's how they will get into a field they really want to be in. What he doesn't realize is that most people with the luxury to work for little to no pay, don't have to work about how they'll pay rent. This gives the advantage to people who come from well off families. Jenny, you are a product of the KDWB internship program because you worked your butt off at other jobs, so you can go unpaid as an intern, and now you are a co host to a great show. Against all odds, you did it. An example of someone who is successful with the help of a well off family is Dave's son Carson. He lives in la and became a tour manager while being the same age as Vaught because of the safety net of not worrying about rent money. I know Carson is still a hard worker like Jenny, and he'll be very successful like his dad, with the advantages of coming from a well off family. Would you have gone to a different college, So we've got some questions now and what career would you be doing instead? This is a perspective that I want to bring up on this podcast. Love the show and keep it up, so once again, I mean, you make a lot of good points here. Realistically, yes, Carson does get financial help from Dave and Susan. Carson does do all lot on his own right now, but Dave's admitted that he helped Carson with his rent out in LA. Yeah, I would never have been able to do what Carson did because I would not have had that financial support. So I mean, there is a good point being made here that people that can receive financial support from someone else do have advantages in life because they don't have to worry about how they're going to pay rent, and they can.
Speaker 3: Like pursue what they want to pursue because because like if it fails, you can always either get money from your parents or you can always just like go back to your parents' house and then figure out where you want to go from there, and even like having parents like their home to go back to, because then I will say that, like, yeah, I could if I was in dire needs, I could go back and live with my mom, or I could go and live with my dad and not pay rent and that would be great.
Speaker 2: But like I totally see where they're coming from.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And like I really, unless I wanted to of root my entire life, I don't have the opportunity to go live at home. So I have always had to work my ass off to be where I am, and luckily in the end, it did pay off. But I do think that, yes, there is a good point to be made that you you do have advantages in life. On top of yes, good looking people definitely have advantages in life, there's no secret to that. But also if you have some kind of safety net of financial backing, then you also do have a lot of advantages. And we're not saying anything bad about like Dave or Carson or the way they raised Carson and stuff, because Carson's worked his ass off to be where he is too. But yes, there is something to be said that would Carson have been able to go to LA if he didn't have some support from David and Josy.
Speaker 2: We won't know, because that's not how it turned out, right, And maybe he would have.
Speaker 1: Maybe he would have been hustling and working like four jobs and made it work out that way. But you know, Dave and Susan were able to support him, and I think any parent would do that if they were had the means. Yeah, if they had the means, they would do it. So okay, lovely email aswer those questions. Oh yeah, sorry, yeah, gosh, because.
Speaker 2: I already have mine prepared.
Speaker 3: So I also, like I think Jenny was probably more poor than I was, but I was pretty poor as well, and I just remember so obviously it's no like question. I really love theater, and I remember there were kids in high school that took dance class, voice lessons, like all of that stuff, and I never did. And then in college my parents told me not to measure in theater because there was no work in theater. And like, had I had the money, I would have loved to one go to a different college. I literally went to Saint Cloud State because it was the cheapest college in the state that was still like a four year college. But I would have gone to, I don't know, like a theater school because I would have had more skills, because I would have taken voice lessons and dance lessons and acting lessons and been really good at theater and gone to some kind of theater school and not worried about loans and whatever because my parents did not for any part.
Speaker 2: Of my college.
Speaker 3: I paid for the whole thing and still paying for it student loans. Ya, But that's what I would have done had I had a bunch of money. That would have been so dope.
Speaker 1: So would you do you think you would have stuck with because they also asked what career would you be doing instead?
Speaker 2: I would have loved to have a career in theater.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, And because now I don't even know if I have, Like obviously now I know I can't dance.
Speaker 2: I'm a decent singer, but not a musical theater singer.
Speaker 3: And had I led like been working on that my entire life, then I know I would have been good because they're like muscles you work out throughout time. So that's what I would want to do because that would sound so fun. I'd want to be on like a national Broadway tour and be in like all the different cities in the country, just like going around doing I don't know.
Speaker 2: Hair spray the musical or whatever. That'd be so freaking dope. That'd be so nice.
Speaker 1: So for me, in terms of what I've gone to a different college, if I would have come from a well off family, I absolutely think I would have. I just don't know where because I only toured colleges that were Wisconsin or the U of M because U of M had reciprocity, So I don't know where else I would have gone. I do think I probably would have like jetted off to like California or Colorado or something.
Speaker 3: Did you like fantasize about going anywhere else? I would look up stuff, but I would never go there.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't say I fantasized only because it just wasn't in my idea of what I could do, because I knew the reality of my financial circumstances. So I don't know, but I do think I probably would have gone like actually out of state, like not across the.
Speaker 4: Board, right somewhere out of And what career would I be doing?
Speaker 1: And said, I honestly don't think I have an answer to that, because I did not think I would be doing radio, and I've done mostly radio. I've worked in like marketing and stuff too, but I've done mostly radio since college. And I think I might be doing something absolutely completely different because the reason I got into radio was because I saw a tweet about an internship.
Speaker 4: At the day Ryan Show.
Speaker 1: Like It's just all like happenstance for me. So what career would I be doing? I'm not sure what I thought I would going to be doing was going to be Samantha Jones from Sex and the City, some crazy pr person going to parties all the time, just networking in TV. Yes, exactly, It's not how it works, by the way, because I've also done a PR internship for meet Minneapolis, which is the Minneapolis Visitors in Convention Bureau. Let me tell you that job was not glamorous.
Speaker 3: In the last I have a friend who works in PR and bro has like been laid off a thousand billion times because that is unstable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so okay, next email. This one also says, please don't say my name. I'm an avid listener and my sister and I did brief the show and Minnesota.
Speaker 4: Goodbye episodes on the Daily.
Speaker 1: Last Friday's episode, you were talking about emailing a celebrity or company. About ten years ago, I emailed Ben and Jerry's for an ice cream flavor idea.
Speaker 4: This is their idea, seven layer of bars.
Speaker 1: So it would consist of coconut, butterscotch, chocolate chips, gram crackers, sweet and condensed mill walnuts. Sadly I never heard back to this day, but they do have the flavor available now in dairy free shut up. I like to think I sparked that idea for them. So a fun, mindless question for you all. If you got to create a new bed in Jerry's ice cream flavor, what would it be? And then this person says, I love a sticker, so we'll get you it. Oh my god, that's a good question, man. I feel like every flavor in the world already exists.
Speaker 3: They but do oh I remember, so this isn't It's kind of an answer to the question, but not really. But I felt the same way because I in my brain as a kid, I invented chocolate Lucky Charms, where the marshmallows were regular the regular marshmallows, but the cereal itself was chocolate. And then they ended up making it, and I was like, oh my god, they stole my idea, even though it was just living in my head.
Speaker 2: So now I'm thinking, though, actually that might be a.
Speaker 3: Decent A decent ice cream flavor is chocolate Lucky Charms, yes, because then they could could have marshmallow. But then you know, take it less literally and put like marshmallow fluff in it and maybe like chocolate chunks kind of.
Speaker 2: Like uh, Moose Tracks, because Moose Tracks is.
Speaker 3: The best and that sounds good. Actually sweet cream, it does cream.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So okay, mine is more so an idea of like a different style of pints you could do versus an actual flavor. If there could be like layers, like how you can get the the flavors where it's like chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla.
Speaker 2: What does that call neopolitan?
Speaker 4: The Apolton.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would love it to be layered where it's like, I'm a big like cheesecake, like raspberry cheesecake, ice cream fan. I love mint chocolate chip, and then I also love a good like cookie dough in something. So if I could have like three different layers in a pint, that'd be great because oftentimes I feel like you go in and you're like, you can't decide between three different flavors, and you're like, well, I'm not going to spend fifteen dollars on ice cream right now. So you do choose one and then you eat it and then you're like, oh, I wish I would have had a little bit of that one too. So I think that's what I'm gonna pitch because right now I can't think of anything that doesn't already exist.
Speaker 3: They had, you know, the Tilenti gelato. Oh, I loved so freaking good. When I was in college. Speaking of sex and the City, I used to watch Sex and the City all the time, and I would walk to our like college sea store, like the convenience store and get the Tilenti gelato and it was banana chocolate like caramel or something like that. It was so delicious.
Speaker 2: And they do not make that flavor anymore.
Speaker 3: And every time I go to any any grocery store whatsoever, I see it, I scan.
Speaker 2: It's never there.
Speaker 3: But that was like my Friday nights in college and like Sex and the City and.
Speaker 2: That Tilenti gelato.
Speaker 3: So good.
Speaker 2: Anything with banana Sign me up. O.
Speaker 4: Yes, you go to Sebastian Joe sometimes.
Speaker 2: Yes they're Pavaratti. Yes, yes, so that is.
Speaker 1: The like probably my go to flavor if I can't if I'm not like vibing with anything else there.
Speaker 4: So good, I'm super super good.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Next email, it says, hi, all feel free to use my name. Okay, So we can't say name for getting up an hour earlier for something, okay. So these are just random topics that they're talking about. They say that they would get up an early hour an hour earlier to see the sunrise at Normandy, France. Even better with one of the real life band of brothers, and the next topic.
Speaker 4: As for the Oscars.
Speaker 1: A month back in Steven Spielberg never winning one, he was told by the Oscar people, you can make money, now make some art.
Speaker 4: Is that why Oscar winners are a bit out there?
Speaker 2: Hmm?
Speaker 4: I don't know enough about that to be able to answer that.
Speaker 3: I think is that why I like the people who win Best Picture or something? The movies are usually weird instead of money, so like because if it was if that you can make money, then a Marvel movie would win every year. But you have to make art, so all of like the Oscar Best Picture winners or Best Picture nominees are all like some kind of artsy god.
Speaker 1: It Okay, that's interesting. I've never heard that he was told that before you can make money, now make some art.
Speaker 2: Interest.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I didn't realize it.
Speaker 2: Never gotten an Oscar ro deserves one right.
Speaker 1: Another one is I have done a slinging newspapers and magazine jobs that were quite low and awful, never more glad to walk out on them.
Speaker 4: The last one was the worst. Though.
Speaker 1: A neighborhood daytime variety paper with the main demographic being smelly drunks and homeless men.
Speaker 4: You would load up in a van.
Speaker 1: Load up in a van and the driver would pick people for the day. I was told there were daily fights and arguments of who got me for the day. I was ready to leave after the first day or two, but stuck it out for eight months till a replacement job came. Keep up the good work, and that comes from Thurston.
Speaker 2: Interesting, gosh.
Speaker 3: I was paper route where well, it's cool that at least they were like fighting over you.
Speaker 2: That meant you were good at your job.
Speaker 4: Mm hm.
Speaker 3: My dad had a paper route when he was like twelve, and most of his, like when I was a kid's stories all have to do with his paper route. I did a deliver phone books once is a kid.
Speaker 1: I okay, I've done the phone book thing too, Bailey, and I have had all the jobs the world.
Speaker 4: I've done the phone book thing. I had a paper oute for a while.
Speaker 1: I absolutely hated the paper route with all of my heart because, I mean, it was Wisconsin, so it was winter half the time. And also I didn't have a paper route where I could just like go check the paper on the front steps and be done. I had to specifically place each paper in a spot because it was like a not a nursing home. It was like individual homes, but this like older senior community that I delivered to, So it was just.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and just toss it because they can't walk out, Yeah, bend over exactly.
Speaker 1: So like one person, I'd have to go on the side door of the garage and there was a little bucket next to that door, and you had to place it in that bucket. And I think like one Sunday morning, because you had to deliver the papers by a certain time on Sunday mornings. I think it was by like seven am or something, and I think like one Sunday morning, I totally didn't wake up to my alarm And it was probably one of those lessons my parents taught me where they didn't wake me up. And I literally just like got on my bike and biked over and just threw everything on the front steps.
Speaker 2: And I was like, what today is what you get? It's six fifty five growing things? Oh gosh?
Speaker 1: Oh man, Okay, well, I think that's going to do it for the Minnesota goodbye today. Send your emails in to Ryan Show at katiwb dot com. It's going to be bailing myself and then probably VT on a handful of these up until Thursday of next week, and then Dave will be back on Friday, so feel free. Anything you want to talk about send it over to ryanshow at katiwb dot com