Speaker 1: Texas has a lot of ground to cover, and at Texas Monthly we do just that. If there's a story to be told in Texas, and theyre always is, you'll read about it in Texas Monthly. Fifty years of stories for all y'all. There's a lot of ground to cover in Texas, and at Texas Monthly, we've been doing just that for fifty years. The complicated, the advocated, and the hotly debated.
Speaker 2: The ball that's smoked, brood.
Speaker 1: Shaken, or put into a taco. The heroes, trailblazers and bum steers, whether we're digging into our past or chronicling the present. If there's a story to be told in Texas, and there always is, you'll read about it in Texas Monthly. Fifty years of stories for all y'all.
Speaker 2: In Texas Monthly. And what's your grief like at this point? Because you can't grieve in the traditional way of parent grieves over the loss of a sudden I think.
Speaker 3: I don't think we've grieved yet because we still don't know. We've had a memorial, but we don't have we have nothing. I mean, we don't have remains, we don't have an autopsy, We don't have a forensics We have nothing.
Speaker 2: Do you sleep?
Speaker 3: I haven't slept in three more than three years.
Speaker 2: The first time I meet Tom's mom, Penny Meek, She's just gotten home from one of Canadian's elementary schools where she teaches computer classes. She's dressed casually, white blouse, blue jeans, tennis shoes. Her white blonde hair falls to her shoulders. Penny lives in a ranch style home on the outskirts of town, bordering a wide open pasture. She introduces me to her other son, Tom's big brother, Tucker. Are you going to sit in on this?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that'd be great.
Speaker 2: Tucker is twenty four, an information technology specialist at a nearby school district. Penny also introduces me to her husband, Chris, who works as a line operator for an oil field supply company. Penny and Chris married in twenty twelve, six years after Penny divorced Tom and Tucker's father. We all sit down at the kitchen table and Chris serves as glasses of tap water and I want to do a deep dive more than maybe the other stories have done about Thomas's wife. And then some of the questions are going to be hard and you're okay with that? What kind of guy was he? I want you to help me out with this, Tucker. I mean we see a typical Canadian boy.
Speaker 6: I wouldn't say it was typical at all, because you know, the typical person that comes out here is like farmer rancher types. They're tough guys, football stars, that kind of thing. And though Tom played football and was part of that group too, he fit in all crowds.
Speaker 2: Tom especially liked being an actor. Even as a young boy. He would put on elaborate plays.
Speaker 3: He was different, and then he would always want me and Tucker to be in his play with Them, but we didn't ever know what we were supposed to do, and so he would act his part out and then he would tell us what lines to say, like he would go. He would say something, and then he would be like, okay, you say you know this, and then Tucker and I would try to follow whatever we were supposed to do and be in his little play with them.
Speaker 2: Tom was funny, He was outgoing. He was also known for his big heart, someone who stood up for other kids when they were bullied.
Speaker 3: I have a mom who sent me just a text message shortly after Thomas went missing. And her son had been in class with Thomas since we started school here. I think he was autistic, and sometimes he would have outbreaks in class and the other kids, you know, would kind of pick on him and make fun of him, and Thomas would kind of sit there and then in a little bit he'd be like, that's enough, you need to knock it off. He just shut it down.
Speaker 2: I have to say, sitting at that kitchen table listening to a family swap stories about a beloved son, this is what small town life is all about, a life where kids don't get into too much trouble because there isn't much trouble to get into. But eventually we get to talking about the night that changed all of their lives, the night Tom disappeared. I'm Skip Hollinsworth from Texas Monthly and this is Tom Brown's Body, Episode two. Tom's luke Penny told me that on Thanksgiving Eve twenty sixteen, at the stroke of midnight, she checked her phone for a message from Tom. Tom had gone cruising around Canadian with a few friends that evening. His curfew was midnight.
Speaker 3: Well, I was kind of pammicking about five after twelve because Thomas doesn't miss curfew.
Speaker 6: Well, and he most certainly didn't just leave you hanging either. I mean, if he was going to be late, he would say, hey, i'm gonna stop off by also sing grab a burrito before I come home, and a coke, and then I'll be home, And then he was. He had ten times better communication skills that. I mean, he would let you know what he was doing. He would let you know where he was going to be. He wasn't great, he wasn't secretive by any means, and so there were times when he was late, but he would text and he would say, yeah, I'm gonna be late, but I'll be there, So yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: He told me he was going to be home in five minutes. He was home in five minutes or less.
Speaker 2: Penny told me. She called and texted Tom. Tucker, who was at the house watching a movie with a friend, did the same. Neither of them got an answer. Penny woke up her husband, Chris, who was asleep in the bedroom, and told him she was going to look for Tom. She grabbed her keys, climbed in her Chevy suburban. Tucker suggested she drive around town, passed Tom's usual hangouts, and along the route that Tom's friends referred to as Tom's loop. Meanwhile, Tucker and his friend got in Tucker's Toyota four Runner and scoured the roads outside of town.
Speaker 6: Me and Taylor went out and looked for a possible accident somewhere. If we could see skid marks of that animal, whether you know, where he rolled his car, so we could find him, and you know, if that's what happened, we'd get him some help and you know, save his life if that's what it came to, because we didn't we didn't know what happened.
Speaker 2: In a town as remote as Canadian, Tom could have gotten in a terrible wreck on a country road without anyone knowing it. But Tucker said there was no sign of Tom's durango. He took his friend home and then he drove around a while longer before heading back home himself. Penny was already there. She knew that Tom had been with his friend Caleb King that evening, so she called Caleb's parents. The Kings are one of canadians most prominent families. Caleb's father, Ken, runs an energy service company. He's also a politician, a Republican member of the State House of Representatives. When Penny called Caleb's mom, Robin answered the phone.
Speaker 3: She was pretty alarmed that Thomas didn't come home, and she went to wake Caleb up, and I could hear their whole conversation, and then Caleb started calling other friends.
Speaker 7: Oh granted, I mean I was asleep and I was getting kind of confused. I was just like, what do you mean show up?
Speaker 2: I mean, this is Caleb.
Speaker 7: I'm waking up and I'm drowsy, and I'm kind of confused, like why didn't he come home? So I was like, well, let's just call make sure you're that this isn't bigger than it. Yeah, And I mean it turns out it was. And so I and then I got a text from Tucker sant Wor's Tom, and I was like, oh, crap, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Caleb called Michael castle Tyne, who had been with Caleb and Tom earlier that night. Michael said he had no idea where Tom might be.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I thought it was weird. I mean, Tiki had never missed curfew, he'd never stayed out later than he needed to.
Speaker 2: Caleb also called Christian Web, the former Canadian high school valedictorian who had gone cruising with Caleb and Tom later that night.
Speaker 4: My first thought was.
Speaker 3: That he.
Speaker 4: Had just gotten a flat tire. That was my immediate first thought. I mean, nothing ever happens in Canadian, so nothing terrible most of the time. So I mean I was concerned, but I didn't have a huge amount of concern.
Speaker 2: Caleb, Michael, and Christian each got in their own cars to go looking for Tom.
Speaker 7: We were out, Me and my mom were out. We were in some car, and Tucker had been out and Penny were out and they were in separate vehicles. We had a lot of eagles, and that's what we were thinking, was like, all this out here, surely will find the car.
Speaker 2: Christian went as far away as the town of Higgins, twenty five miles away.
Speaker 4: There was an old abandoned hotel there that we would sometimes go and just walk around and kind of explore it. Why he would go to the Bandon hotel by himself, I don't know. It was just kind of my second instinct as to where he might and I didn't see his car. So I drove back into Canadian and I just drove around all the roads that we take, kind of the roads outside of town.
Speaker 2: At roughly two thirty am, Penny called the Sheriff's department. The dispatcher contacted a deputy on duty named Pine Gregory.
Speaker 9: I was actually in my office when the call came in. It came through on my office phone from a dispatcher and she said, Hey, are y'all going to go out and do.
Speaker 10: Anything with that call? And I said what call? She said, well, I just told.
Speaker 9: Dan that we had to miss an eighteen year old kid. And he told me, well, he's eighteen, he can do what he wants to. I said, well, that's not necessarily true. Called Penny. Spoke with her and you know, basically kind of went through the rundown.
Speaker 10: Who are his friends, where would he hang out? Those kind of things.
Speaker 2: Like everyone else had done. Gregory drove around Canadian looking for Tom's durrango. He ended up at Tom's home sometime after three am.
Speaker 9: Went out, pulled up to the front of the house and if I remember right, they had opened They had the door opened, but they had like a glass storm door. And they saw me pull up and they met me in the yard. They didn't invite me in the house. We stood out there in the yard. Tucker, Penny and I I'd say for fifteen minutes or better, kind of going on the rundown of you know where he might be. And then Tucker and I left and went to various locations looking for Tom.
Speaker 2: But after Gregory drove around for more than an hour, Tom and his durringo were still nowhere to be found. By seven thirty am, Penny and Chris were on their way to see Nathan Lewis, the thirty two year old sheriff of hemp Hill County, of which Canadian is the county seat. Lewis has short red a neatly trimmed beard. People in Canadian say he looks exactly like the NASCAR driver Dale Earnhardt Junior. Lewis was born and raised in Canadian. His father used to be mayor. When Lewis was in his early twenties, he began working for small town Panhandle police departments.
Speaker 11: Got into some car pursuits, did some drug work, did several narcotic search warrants on houses, and so, because I was needed something to do, because I love law enforcement, I love I love Katy dors Hounge, that's what that's what I did.
Speaker 2: Lewis took over his sheriff of hemp Hill County in September twenty sixteen. He'd made the war against drugs the focus of his campaign.
Speaker 11: The biggest thing is is why I ran for office. I ran on clean enough, the town of drugs myth, and that was my focus. You know, we're peace officers, no matter what, We're going to keep the peace, no matter what. I don't have to tell people that I'm going to keep the peace, and then we're peacemakers. What I told the people is what I'm going to do, and that was to rid the druid problem.
Speaker 2: Lewis was definitely good at drug bus. He started making arrest soon after he was sworn in as sheriff, but he had never done a missing person's case, and suddenly here he was two months into his job when Penny and Chris walked into his office. Lewis and Penny, of course knew one another. They and their families attended First United Methodist Church, but they weren't exactly friends, and it all had to do with Tom. Just a year earlier, in twenty fifteen, Lewis was working as a sheriff's deputy in a neighboring county. Late one night, while driving back to his home and Canadian he noticed a handful of teenagers hanging around the Downtown Palace Movie Theater. One of the teenagers was Tom. Lewis thought they were trying to break in, so he pulled over and ordered Tom into his truck. Tom said they were merely looking for a friend whose father ran the theater.
Speaker 9: So I talked all of them.
Speaker 11: I said, you guys need to get you'll bluz home. Y'all don't need to be out here. It's midnight, no business open in the theater, I ain't open, and no's not there.
Speaker 9: I'llly go home.
Speaker 5: That's what I told.
Speaker 3: That was it.
Speaker 11: That's exactly what happened.
Speaker 2: Tom, however, told Penny a different story. According to Penny, Tom said that Lewis had accosted.
Speaker 12: Him in the stop. He was very unprofessional. He was swearing at the boys, using the F word. For whatever reason, my son seemed to be singled out of the group. He told my son several times, you need to call your mom and tell her what you've been doing, to which Tom was like, I don't know what to call my mom and tell her what I've been doing. We're just walking around town. Was the summer night. Hadn't been out of school very long. There are just kids out being kids, to which Lewis did place Thomas in the car with him. I was very uncomfortable with that.
Speaker 2: Penny filed a complain against Lewis with the Sheriff's department. The complain, I ain't went nowhere, but she began telling just about everyone she knew that Lewis should never be elected sheriff of Himpel County.
Speaker 3: And I felt like if he was elected sheriff, that's what he was going to do to our kids in the community all the time, Like he was just going to mess with him, because that's what he did.
Speaker 2: Lewis insisted that he had never abused his power and that he certainly had not mistreated Tom. He told me that after the movie theater incident, he ran across Tom at a rotary club meeting.
Speaker 11: He was doing a public speaking event with four h and he went in there and gave a public au speaking deal in the rotary club one day, and he sought me in the rotary club and he approaches me and he says, man, I'm sorry for that night. And he told me that he told his mother a lie. He said, Man, I fed my mother because he told his mother that I was brewed. I cussed at him, pulled a gun. He said all kinds of stuff to his mom, and he said, man, I'm sorry for doing all that stuff. So Tom's the past, the past, man, don't worry about it. Just always tell the truth. And that's all I told him, and I didn't seem I never dealt with him ever since, never dealt with him again, never had any issues he was letting troublemaker.
Speaker 2: In fact, Lewis told me when he first spoke to Penny and Chris that Thanksgiving morning, when Tom went missing, it did not occur to him that Tom was in any sort of trouble.
Speaker 11: Well, be honest with you, I figured that we had a high school kid that went out and partied and didn't come home on Tom.
Speaker 2: But shortly after his meeting with Penny and Chris, Lewis got a phone call. Tom's duringo had been found.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of ground to cover in Texas and at Texas Monthly, We've been doing just that for fifty years. The complicated, the advocated, and the hotly debated. All that smoked, brood, shaken or put into a taco the heroes, trailblazers and bum steers, whether we're digging into our past or chronicling the president. If there's a story to be told in Texas, and there always is, you'll read about it in Texas Monthly, Fifty years of Stories for all y'all.
Speaker 2: Early that morning, Tom's friend Christian Webb, had asked her father, Trey, to help her search for Tom. The Webs are another prominent Canadian family. Trey owns a helicopter service company, and he's an experienced pilot. They boarded one of the company's four Cedar helicopters, and Trey flew low all over Canadian and the surrounding area. It didn't take long for them to spot Tom's duringo, parked under a small grove of trees near the water treatment plant northeast of town.
Speaker 4: I was confused because his car was in a spot that I didn't know about, and I was I was almost sure that Thomas didn't know about. It was in a weird spot that was typically not accessible because of the gate, so I I was more concerned.
Speaker 2: At that point, Trey maneuvered his helicopter over the car. He asked Christian to turn her eyes away to protect her from seeing a potentially violent scene, but the Durango was abandoned. Trey called the sheriff's office and Lewis raced to the plant.
Speaker 11: It was myself, in another depth to Jerry Lynn Ortega, that actually went to the car first. And when we got to.
Speaker 2: The car, we looked in every window.
Speaker 11: We walked around the car several times, looking around seeing what we could see. There was nobody in the car, and then we started circling around, you know, kind of looking in the area to see if we could see anything find anything.
Speaker 5: There was nothing.
Speaker 11: The car was pulled up into the trees, and so right before the car, it's kind of sandy and there's some there's clay dirt out there, but where he was was a pull up in there, and right when you open the driver's door, there was just a little bit of dirt and then the rest of it was grass and brush and you know dead stuff that you know.
Speaker 2: But it looked like there were some footprints coming out of the driver's side.
Speaker 11: It was definitely there was definitely a shoeprint that get that that you could see outside the driver's door. And then there was a you know, distinct yurine mark right there outside the door. It was just like you open the door, you step out. There was one one print down, but you could you could hardly see what kind of print was. You could tell it was a shoe print.
Speaker 2: So that you're and mark had to have been made.
Speaker 5: It was very fresh, fresh, just sir, It was very fresh.
Speaker 2: The duringo was unlocked. Tom's keys, cell phone, and wallet were not inside. Lewis did find Michael castle Tyne's debit card which had fallen in between the front seats. He also noticed a thin streak of blood on the inside of the driver's front door on.
Speaker 5: And it was very dry.
Speaker 11: It was very dry, it was not fresh, and it had not been there that night on the drivers kind of.
Speaker 5: By the handle.
Speaker 11: But it looked like it was probably like a nuttle cut or something, or a finger cut or a paper cuts. And that's the only blood that was in the car. There was no other blood in that car period.
Speaker 2: There was one other thing that Lewis and his deputy spotted, a twenty five caliber shellcasing on the floorboard. Lewis said he was bewildered.
Speaker 11: Because there was no there was nothing in the car that said that there was a gunshot.
Speaker 5: That went off in that car. Period nothing.
Speaker 11: There was no splatter, there was no there was no gunpowder residue in the car. There was nothing. There was nothing.
Speaker 2: The news about Tom was soon racing through town like a prairie fire. Some residents postponed their Thanksgiving meals, drove to the water treatment plant and searched for Tom on foot, horseback, and four wheelers. Trey and Christian Webb kept looking for Tom and their helicopter, and Christian's brother joined the search and a second helicopter. Game Mordens arrived with a tracking dog, but no one spotted any trace of Tom, and the dog could not find a scent to follow. As the day wore on, friends and neighbors dropped by Penny's house, bringing leftover turkey and pumpkin pie and words of encouragement. Tom's and Tucker's father, Kelly Brown, drove in from his home in Perryton, forty five miles away.
Speaker 13: I was in such shock. I think at the time, Skimp that if I would have tripped across his body, I wouldn't have known. I mean I would have, but I was pretty much in shock. Just go say, but that's something I think all, we all, all of us parents fear that. But then when it does happen, I will tell you that it takes it to another eleven. I was pretty pretty shaked about that.
Speaker 2: That afternoon, Sheriff Lewis also dropped by to update Penny in the family on everything he'd found.
Speaker 5: He just said that he asked us.
Speaker 3: He said there was a showcasing the twenty five caliber in the car. He asked us if we had one, and we said no, we don't have a caliber gun like that.
Speaker 10: And then.
Speaker 3: I don't really remember what else he said. He just said he was returning the car, and I questioned it. I said, why are you bringing the car back? And he said, well, we're done with it. We don't need it anymore. And I said, you're telling me you process the car like you've gotten fingerprints or whatever from the car. Well, we don't need it anymore. Okay.
Speaker 2: When I talked to Lewis, he told me his deputies had tried but been unable to lift any fingerprints from the Durango.
Speaker 11: That car was filthy, dirty. I'm talking dust on all everything, dust everywhere and every The car was so dirty. You don't get fingerprints Because this isn't CSI, This isn't a TV show, and people don't understand that. People don't understand that. You know that you can't, you know, you don't solve a case within forty five minutes of a TV show. But you can't get fingerprints off of something that has dirt on You just can't do it. It's it's impossible. Maybe some FBI person can do it, but we can't. And so we looked everywhere that we could possibly get prints off of.
Speaker 5: We couldn't find anything to get print off of.
Speaker 2: Lewis had the Durango towed back to Pennies in Chris's home. Apparently he wasn't thinking, at least not yet, that the Durango could be part of a potential crime that needed to be preserved. When the Durrango arrived at the house, Tom's brother, Tucker, and a friend promptly did their own search.
Speaker 6: So we kind of dug through. We didn't make a huge we didn't make a mess, but we were just kind of looking at stuff, and you know, looking under stuff, like is there anything in ere a shred of evidence that you know, And of course we were all in shocks, so we we didn't find anything. I mean, we didn't. We didn't see anything out of the ordinary.
Speaker 2: Lewis told me he did not sleep that night. The next morning, he got to his office and ordered his deputies to have the Durrango towed back to the sheriff's department. He said he wanted to check things out one more time, just to make sure he was doing everything by the book.
Speaker 11: The second time, we did everything again. We re walked the blood spot, we have the Q tip in the dew for evidence.
Speaker 14: We went and we.
Speaker 11: Put more ink on that car, fingerprint dust, and you can imagine, to make sure we didn't miss anything, because I mean, you got to realize that when the things that are going through your mind, could you miss something, Yeah, you could miss something. So I wanted to make damn sure that I didn't miss anything the second time.
Speaker 2: Actually, something was missing from the Durango, which no one noticed until the superintendent of the Canadian Public Schools dropped by the house. The superintendent asked if anyone had checked Tom's school computer. He said that if Tom had been using it to get online, it could potentially be traced. Penny and Tucker said that Tom kept his computer and his school books in a backpack, which he almost always left in the back of his Durgo unless he needed to bring it inside the house to do homework. Curiously, no one had seen Tom's backpack when they searched the vehicle, and attempts to trace the computer were unsuccessful. What's more, phone records showed that Tom's cell phone had been turned off since midnight and had not been turned back on. For those who knew Tom well, nothing was making sense. Why had Tom parked the Durrango by the water treatment plant, a place he was never known to go, And why in the darkness had he walked away carrying his wallet, his keys, his cell phone, and strangely, his backpack which contained his books and laptop. Why would he do that? And where in the world was he going.
Speaker 4: I'm just trying to get you closer now, to sort of see what it would have been like walking out through this without actually having a walk.
Speaker 14: Out to me in the dark, no flashlight as far as we know.
Speaker 2: On the afternoon, Larie Brown drove me around town. She took me to the spot where Tom's Durrango had been found. I wanted to see for myself the patch of land where Tom supposedly had disappeared.
Speaker 14: All right, let's take a walk.
Speaker 2: It was one of those typical windy Panhandle afternoons.
Speaker 8: This car, you're gonna have to verify this. I don't know if it.
Speaker 14: Was found there or up here, but it was just pulled up somewhere right around here. So it wasn't like he tried to hide the car. Whoever was in the car tried.
Speaker 2: To hide it. The land was wooded and the grass was high, but the train wasn't all that rough. Laurie explained that as you get closer to the Canadian River three quarters of a mile to the east, the vegetation gets thicker and the ground turned soggy. In fact, when searchers crisscrossed the area and they're four wheelers that Thanksgiving Day, they didn't get very far.
Speaker 11: I just know that when they were looking for it and they were out here on forest back and on the four wheelers, that some of these guys had you know, I mean, they got stuck.
Speaker 15: They had trouble.
Speaker 2: This was another thing that didn't make sense. No one who knew Tom could imagine him trekking into that thick brush and marshy river bottoms in the daytime, let alone in pitch black darkness.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that seems highly impossible to me.
Speaker 2: Here's Tom's friend, Christian for when.
Speaker 4: Tom wasn't an outdoors man at all. He liked having his you know, his phone and his video games, and he never did outdoorsy things. And I mean it was freezing cold that night, and he wasn't wearing many clothes. I mean the clothes he was wearing were really thin.
Speaker 2: In the days following Tom's disappearance, Sheriff Lewis intensified the search. He brought in a team of veteran bloodhounds from the state prison in Amarillo. The dogs were taken by their handlers to the dirt road where the durango had been found. They were given a piece of Tom's clothing to sniff, and they picked up a scent, following it east to northeast for nearly a mile. Then the sin abruptly disappeared at the edge of a slough and the dogs turned back. Lewis also organized a grid search a couple of dozen people walking side by side around the water treatment plant. They turned up nothing. Lewis even brought in a mounted search and rescue team from nearby Randall County to hunt for Tom along the Canadian River. The rescuers on horseback didn't find anything either. Lewis had better luck studying video footage from security cameras around town.
Speaker 11: It was a round curfew that car his car, and ZIP positively identified his car drove from Intown, turned up Alexander's up on Birch and goes towards his house.
Speaker 2: One camera posted in front of a convenience store called Tom Durrango just after midnight, heading up a street in the direction of his home and then coming back down the same street only a few minutes later, at around five thirty am. Lewis told me.
Speaker 11: The car goes from Ketown up Alexander Street, two minutes later exactly again goes back into town.
Speaker 2: There was no apparent purpose or pattern to the car's direction. Then, at five point fifty six am, the Durrango was picked up by a camera positioned on top of a city owned building near the water treatment plant.
Speaker 15: You see Tom's car driving on the road going through the gate and you can see it in the distance of tenlots. You can see it go up over this little hill and then that's where we found the car.
Speaker 5: That's where the car was parked.
Speaker 15: There was nobody in or out before or after on that video at all.
Speaker 2: What Sheriff Lewis is describing here is really puzzling. A camera captured Tom's Durrango parking at the water treatment plant, but in the video no one could be seen getting in, we were out of the car. What had seemed like a potential lead only raised more questions. Why would Tom be driving around Canadian in those early morning hours, dodging his family and friends and the sheriff's deputy who were out looking for him. Why might he have driven toward his home at some point? And of all the places he could have chosen to abandon the Durrango, why the water treatment planned or what if? Those weren't even the right questions? The security footage had definitely opened up several other possible scenarios. What if Tom hadn't walked into the woods after parking his Durango, for that matter, what if he wasn't behind the wheel at all? What if someone else was driving his car? And if that was the case, where was Tom. The afternoon of November twenty six, two days after Thanksgiving, Penny and Chris returned to the Sheriff's Department, Shamble.
Speaker 5: Well everything going on.
Speaker 2: This is actual tape of their interview. The interview was handled by Sheriff Lewis's chief deputy, Brent Clap. Clap is a former Panhandle cowboy with a thick old West handlebar mustache. He had been in law enforcement for more than a decade. A state trooper, clap Knew also set in on the interview. Chris was interviewed first. He said Penny was her son's main caregiver, and then he was quote an observer, that's the word he used. He said he had no idea why Tom disappeared. Chris left the room and Penny walked in. At the start of her interview, the officers asked Penny to describe Tom.
Speaker 5: He has a soft heart for especially for the underdog.
Speaker 13: Whether he is growing up with a good school with and it doesn't matter.
Speaker 7: He'll do that.
Speaker 10: Frame.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Penny also wants the officers to know that Tom rarely, if ever gets in trouble.
Speaker 5: He's just a good kid.
Speaker 3: I don't I mean, I just don't really have to disappoint him very much.
Speaker 5: He just normally does what he's supposed to do.
Speaker 2: Then the DPS trooper asked Penny about her initial fears when she heard the DURINGO was found that the water treatment planned.
Speaker 11: Now, when he found out that Trump was there, what was your first thought?
Speaker 5: I thought he committed suicide.
Speaker 2: I thought he committed suicide, Penny says, tell me what.
Speaker 3: Because it runs in my family, and I just figured maybe at that point he was just strong about breaking up with his girlfriend, and.
Speaker 5: If he thought of suicide, how did.
Speaker 8: He go about doing that?
Speaker 5: I figured it would have been like the choking game.
Speaker 2: The choking game, Penny says, you might have heard of it. It's garnered occasional headlines over the years, and most commonly at tempted by teenage boys. Someone intentionally strangles himself for someone else, and the lack of oxygen leads to a feeling of euphoria in a very brief loss of consciousness. It's resulted in some accidental deaths. But Penny quickly pivots, telling the officers that she didn't actually know much about the choking game, except for hearing about a boy in a nearby town who had tried it. The thought randomly occurred to her that Thanksgiving morning, she says, because she could not fathom how else Tom might have killed himself.
Speaker 5: But that's or hanging.
Speaker 3: I guess, so we want I don't know because he's not again the person I had already checked for the ends of the house, olivers.
Speaker 5: Were accounted for. I had already checked man's everything was accounted for.
Speaker 2: It turned out that Penny and her family had dealt with suicide in the past. Her father suffered from depression and he shot himself to death almost two decades earlier. So Penny's sensitive to suicide was understandable. But why was that her initial fear about Tom. During one of my own interviews with Penny, I asked her about that.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, I was thinking, he's a senior, his boat is loaded as far as academics, he doesn't really know where he wants to go to college. I mean, he kind of has an idea, but he's not you know, he doesn't have it nailed down, and he's he's broken up with his girlfriend. I mean, the kid had a lot on his plate, and so was it completely out of the realm of possibility? No, not really. I don't think it's out of the realm of any of our high school kids to commit suicide at all. I mean, so I did check for all of that stuff. There wasn't anything missing or out of place, so that thought went away.
Speaker 2: During her inner at the Sheriff's department, Penny was asked if she had seen any changes in Tom that would suggest he was suicidal.
Speaker 5: So if that.
Speaker 3: Was the case, you know, anything you've seen, any change of behavior that you can.
Speaker 5: Tell us about.
Speaker 2: Penny is adamant that Tom is just fine.
Speaker 5: As far as changing behavior.
Speaker 3: Nope, and not Tuesday with I mean nothing. And I have been in contact with several of his teachers, and his teachers have said he was doing great in school. His grades are probably better than they have been, you know, they're a little bit higher. Even the teachers who don't have even class this year that maybe had even past years, were like, I've seen him in the hall.
Speaker 5: And he's laughing, he's smiling. I mean, I don't know. I'm just I'm baffled.
Speaker 2: The officers change directions. They ask if it's plausible that Tom could have left Canadian maybe with someone Penny did not know.
Speaker 5: I'm just getting in a car with somebody that you don't know. I mean, I just I don't think.
Speaker 2: He would do that.
Speaker 5: I don't think you can rule it out, and just don't see him doing it.
Speaker 2: But Penny offers up a theory of her own about Tom's disappearance. Maybe he's run off to one of those professional wrestling schools he had always talked about, and.
Speaker 3: I don't know it maybe kind of a It may be a stretch, and I don't even know how he would get there. But he also tells me he loves w W wrestling, and he is Dad and I both have taken him to against my best.
Speaker 5: Wishes, to so matches. We went to the big.
Speaker 3: One down in Dallas, and he has asked me before, well can I be a wrestler? And I'm like, you do whatever you want when you get out of college, you know, And he's like, we pay for it, and I'm lighten.
Speaker 5: I'm paying for college and that's it. There are wrestling schools around.
Speaker 3: I don't know if he would ride to one of them and try.
Speaker 5: To attempt it. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Like I said, that might be a stretch that he had, and he's researched it. I don't know.
Speaker 2: As the interview comes to a close, Penny offers one more theory.
Speaker 5: I would think at this point he's hiding somewhere.
Speaker 12: We just don't know where.
Speaker 5: I honestly, my gut tells me he hasn't left hip Hill County.
Speaker 2: My gut tells me he hasn't left himp Hill County. The officer responds, that's mom's intuition right there. When the officer asks why she thinks that, Penny sounds almost hopeful, at least for a moment.
Speaker 5: And I could be wrong. I mean, I've been wrong about a lot of this. That easier somewhere.
Speaker 2: For the most part, Penny sounded overwhelmed searching for answers, which is perfectly understandable. Her life, after all, had just been upended, her son had gone missing. Still, when Sheriff Lewis watched the video feed of the interview, he immediately wondered if Penny was revealing everything she knew.
Speaker 10: I would pay, you know, on that skip. I was amazed of how this mother would say those things. You know, if your son or your daughter didn't come home, you're the first thing you're going to tell authorities is your son committed suicide and even possibly done it by the choking game. I mean, who says that there has to be a backstory behind it.
Speaker 2: After and Chris left the Sheriff's department, Lewis heard what seemed to be a potential backstory. His deputy, Jerry Lynn Ortega, walked into his office. She told him that she had just conducted an interview with Tom's ex girlfriend, Sage Pennington, and Sage had told her that Tom had been hiding a secret, one that Sage yourself had only learned about earlier that spring.
Speaker 8: Deputy Jerry Lynn Ortega had just finished interviewing Sage Pennington. Sage brought up one thing that just hit me. I couldn't believe. What she was saying was that Tom was struggling with wearing dappers. He was wearing men's dappers even up to the day he disappeared.
Speaker 2: After hearing this, Lewis arranged another meeting with Penny. She arrived at his office with a couple of friends. Lewis began with a routine update on the investigation. Then, according to Penny, he asked her what she knew about Tom wearing diapers. Penny said she was furious.
Speaker 3: He just asked me about it, and I was, you know, I said, I don't even know what you're talking.
Speaker 5: About, Like where I don't know where you got that information. I said, what are you talking about?
Speaker 2: Penny told me she was already upset with Lewis for the way he had been running the investigation, not processing a potential crime scene, and returning Tom's durango the same day it was found, and now she was convinced the sheriff was trying to trash her son's reputation. She told her friends that she suspected that Lewis was still holding onto a grudge from that incident at the movie theater. In twenty fifteen, one of Penny's friends sent her an article about a man named Philip Klein, the owner of Kleine Investigations and Consulting, based just outside of Beaumont in southeast Texas. In the missing person's world, Kleine is a celebrity of sorts. The NBC showed Dateline once hired him to travel to Mexico to try and track down on Olivia Newton, John's missing boyfriend, who had allegedly faked his own drowning. Dateline correspondent Keith Morrison described clein this way, if you ask him, or even if you don't, Kline will tell you that he's one of the best there is at finding people who don't want to be found. Over the last twenty five years, Kleine says he's investigated eighteen hundred missing persons cases, and he says eighty percent of the time he's found the person he's looking for.
Speaker 16: I could tell you one hundred of these cases that we've done that you would.
Speaker 5: Go, oh my god.
Speaker 2: That's Cleine.
Speaker 5: And you see why people turn to us. It's because we take the hard stuff. We don't take the easy, gravy stuff.
Speaker 2: Penny became convinced that Klein could find her son, so she gave his office a call. Days later, the private investigator arrived in town. His investigation was about to turn Canadian upside down. Next week, on Tom Brown's Body.
Speaker 16: It brings you to reality. Done it on a Sunday morning. Thanks, you want to get over there to the church and get on your knees and say a few words. Right, I got you, We've seen it all. That's gospel. Evil has come to Canadian Texas.
Speaker 2: Tom Brown's Body is a Texas Monthly production. Executive producer is Megan Kricht, produced and engineered by Brian Standeffer, who also wrote the music. JK. Nichol is our editor and Paul Knight is our fact checker. Audio assistants are Sean Cronin and Emma Jane Hopper. Our theme music is No Hard Feelings by the Avid Brothers. I'm your writer and host, Skip Pollinsworth. If you like the show, please leave us a review on Apple Podcasts. Thanks for listening. See y'all next week.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of ground to cover in Texas, and at Texas Monthly, we've been doing just that for fifty years. The complicated, the advocated, and the hotly debated. The ball that smoked, brood, shaken or put into a taco. The heroes, trailblazers and bum steers, whether we're digging into our past or chronicling the present. If there's a story to be told in Texas, and there always is, you'll read about it in Texas Monthly. Fifty years of stories for all y'all,