Speaker 1: Coffee.
Speaker 2: Because the expanded college football Playoff is brand new this year. It's not like something I'm thinking about a whole lot, because you know, typically we don't get it. I don't really know what to expect, but like I keep forgetting, Oh yeah, we still haven't crowned a college football national champion. And we've got we've got games coming up here tomorrow, which you know, well not yeah, we've got well not the College FOOTBA playoff games. I'm looking here at the schedule and here's here. Let me just tell you what I did. This speak. This speaks to me being a dumb ass more than it does anything else. But I'm gonna give you somewhat of an excuse for me being in a dumbass year. You ready, Austin. I saw that Alabama played tomorrow on the DraftKings sportsbook app here, and I just assume, well, that's a playoff game, because Alabama not being in the playoff sure kind of is kind of a it's always surprise, right, they were there a lot more than they weren't. Now that they don't have saving, it's a little bit different, which is.
Speaker 3: Sort of trained to believe that they're already in the championship game, but.
Speaker 2: We don't have any we don't have any actual college football games. Uh, until let's see when why is it broken down like this?
Speaker 3: It's just January first, right, just so Wednesday.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow Penn State and Boise State? Is that tomorrow? I think it.
Speaker 3: I thought that they were all on the January January January first games, New Year six bowls.
Speaker 2: So maybe the because sometimes if you are somebody who bets as much as I do on on you know, on everything, the And I don't mean they say that to brag, like, you know, I don't win a whole lot, but my point is like, sometimes if it's like an event and you go to the sports like the College football, NBA, whatever, it is, like if it's a specific event like a bowl game, like they'll kind of put it in its own tier. But I'm looking here and uh, again, like this is something that that I feel like I should just know. But again, it's new. The structure, the schedule is a little bit different, but it does show that Penn State Boise State is tomorrow at seven thirty. I kind of feel like that can't be right, But again, I honestly just it hadn't been on my mind because we've never this is we're going to be experiencing this expanded playoff and we are, you know, for the first time.
Speaker 5: I'm seeing it tomorrow too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we have got along with the all the Cup like the Alabama Michigan game, Louisville, Washington, South Carolina, Illinois, Baylor, LSU, and then you have all the other ones on January first.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's weird that there's just one game tomorrow, but then again, there was just one game when Indiana played against Notre Dame and they you know, they gotta they gotta figure it out from a TV perspective. So I'm actually excited knowing that we have a college football playoff game tomorrow, and Louisville of course will play against Washington and the Sun Bowl, and then whenever that ends, we'll go live for the for the for the postgame show, which man, I have no clue what to expect as far as the game, but also the postgame show. You know, I'm gonna I'm gonna be excited to watch Louisville play. I'm gonna hope that they win. But when you take away Tyler Shuck and it's and I think he was really good, but like you're now going to a guy that like we've never watched play. I mean, here we are if it's if it's Bailey, which I believe it's going to be. I know, the young man Brady Allen removed himself from the portal and it's coming back to the Laulso, by the way, another football player for Louisville did Joe Little Skinner, a Miami transfer who came in at tight end this past year. Didn't play a whole lot he was in the portal. He's now out of the portal and gonna return to Louisville. So I'm assuming he'll be with Louisville for this bowl game. But either way, you know, it's just we have no clue what to expect. And with that, it's like, you know, if Louisvill comes out and plays like if Louisvill comes out and the quarterback play is subpar and it's a factor and a loss, nobody wants that result will be you know, bummed because our team didn't win. But like, what's the energy right where? Like are you mad at somebody? Like are you willing to look at this and see it for what it is like, I just you know, these these are these are just these games are just weird now, man, they are. So I don't know what to expect from the game, or from the reaction from fans, or even from myself, to be honest with you, but we will find out. As soon as it ends, we'll go live. And this is what we're doing because of being at two o'clock on a on a weekday. Uh, We're gonna do the post game show and it's going to be presented by all of the fine folks that have helped us with our pre and post game coverage throughout the year. So we're talking about Alex Rright, Lawyers who distracted driver dot Com, Jefferson Animal Hospital, Pellow, windows Endorfs of Central Kentucky. They're all a part of our coverage tomorrow whenever Louisville officially ends their season, hopefully it's in a win. But and it's just you know, I'm somebody who always, and I've learned this over the years, I really want to see not only my team play and play well, but I wanted to be an opportunity to kind of figure out where you stand. Right, did you learn that your team is where you thought they were, or maybe you were, maybe you learned the hard way that they aren't as good as you thought they were. But I just don't even know how you would come up with whatever conclusion you typically would come up with whenever you're in this situation to where you've got some guys to be excited about. I mean, I think having the two running backs you have in Duke Watson and Isaac Brown both playing. Obviously Colin Lacey's going to play, and I look forward to seeing him out there. I mean, I feel like Louisville should win. But again, like maybe I'm way off here. Maybe the guy that they're putting out their quarterback, you know, maybe we'll see that there's a reason he's never been able to be a full time starter anywhere. Again, I don't know what to expect, which makes it kind of weird. But either way, whatever happens, we will certainly react to it tomorrow right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. So again, we've got the first round, first game of the quarterfinals tomorrow to be Boise State and Penn State, and then from there you've got on New Year's Day, which should be freaking awesome, You've got Texas and Arizona State at one o'clock, followed by Ohio State Oregon at five o'clock, and then Notre Dame and Georgia will wrap it up at eight forty five. So some good, you know, some really really, I mean, I hope they're good games. I don't really know if they will be or not. However, what it's worth in Saturn, I'm sorry. In Wednesday's game, there's only one game that has a big spread. That's Texas favored by twelve and a half over Arizona State. I didn't even trust Texas or think that they're that good, but like, doesn't that feel like the play Austin Texas against Arizona State? Is that twenty points? You think? Are they?
Speaker 3: I feel like I've been trying to doubt Arizona State the last same here weeks, but like they've they've been doing it.
Speaker 2: I could see them losing by ten, you know what I mean? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, total, like just right at that edge and that ends up screwing you on your parlay.
Speaker 5: So I don't know if I would touch that because oh.
Speaker 2: No, it's it's absolute stay away from me. But I'm sure I'll bet on it because you know, I'm an idiot, right, and I see if I see action available, I have a hard time not getting involved on set action. But Ohio State, they are two and a half point dogs again or sorry, two and a half two and a half point favorites against Oregon and then Georgia just a one point favorite against Notre Dame. I mean, I don't know, I don't know what to do with these man because I don't I'm not as big of a believer in Georgia and Notre Dame. I mean I shouldn't. I don't. I don't even know if everybody Maybe everybody's kind of down on these teams. But like Notre Dame, I feel like has been very fortunate with their schedule and they've done a good job at you know, taking care of business outside of the one loss they had that is inexcusable to Northern Illinois. But like Indiana, losing the Notre Dame by ten doesn't make me think, Okay, Notre Dame proved a lot of people wrong. No offense to Indiana, but like it was a gutless coaching performance. I mean, the punt at midfield going down seventeen, and look, there are other coaches that I think would have been able to do that and it wouldn't have been such a talking point. But in that situation, meaning it's winner, go home, you're already like you get nothing to lose, nobody's going to criticize you for doing it. But for Signetti, who I like, I genuinely do like him. Oh yeah, to be to be that guy and then not have the energy in that moment was I still like him? But I kind of now, this is gonna sound like any This is gonna sound like an overreaction, and it is to be honest with you, but I have a little bit of a doubt that he really is the guy he's claiming to be because it always seemed a little bit of a force to me. I feel like he knew deep down by being this cocky guy at of all places, Indiana, then like gonna it's gonna get him some attention, and it's going to like if he just came in and talked about how big of a rebuilt job it was for Indiana and that he just hopes they can be competitive and reminds people of how bad they were before he got there. One that would have been lame, And that's what a lot of coaches do. But he got himself attention before he won a game by just being like, I mean, he went out there when he's introduced to an Indiana basketball game last te Tere he got hired and said, you know, Ohio State sucks, produce sucks. Who else would do as another team that he said sucked and they were gonna go beat him, and you know, Michigan maybe maybe it was. And he beat two of them, but you know, I don't know. Notre dame to me. I just I like Georgia, so therefore they'd be the obvious pick for me because they're only favored by one. But I haven't really watched Georgia this year. He never really felt like they were anything clear to what they were just a few years ago. But then again, they probably made I mean, Georgia winning those two championships back to back, those two teams were I mean insanely good. Like that was before the Portal really became what it is now, to where Georgia, you know, they weren't losing guys to the Portal because of being behind an elite All American caliber player at one spot or maybe a lot of spots. So I like Georgia there, but really I don't if either of these teams lays an egg and maybe I mean, I guess the bigger surprise would be Georgia losing a game that's not super close. I don't really see that happening, but not really sure what to expect. I do think Ohio State will be Oregon. What do you think?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I like Ohio State over Oregon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I'm just gonna be betting on because I'm gonna end up betting on them.
Speaker 5: Anyways.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm gonna just throw everything that we know about these teams out the window, throw the record books out the window, whatever cliches you want to use. It's the sheer craziness of the first time during this twelve team college football playoff, the whole bye week thing, and now every body is now on a neutral field, now no one's at home, so that that one's gonna be uh that it's going to be pretty not easy to judge, but it's going to be like I'm just throwing blank at the wall.
Speaker 5: I'm fine with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, same here. I didn't do well. In fact, the only the only play that I had that worked out for me in the first round of games was I took the over and I put uh the I put. I put a bigger unit on it than I typically do, a big unit and it and in the overhit and I needed. I was having a rough day, and I'm all right, the hell with it. You got to you got to bounce back. Do one play, no parlay. Put a heavier, heavier hit on it, and it and it paid off for me. So and I've been doing that a little more lately than I than I, you know, have typically done. I had a good Friday. I don't know what. I don't even really know what led to me to do what I did when I bet, but I took the over in the the who was it who played Friday Night? I took the over in the Syracuse game against whoever they played, Texas Tech? Maybe text Tech played Arkansas, right, yeah, yes? And then I don't remember who Syracuse played, but I took the over in those two games, and they were They hit the over in like the third quarter, one of them almost hit at halftime. And then I took usc money line as dogs. They were down thirteen, I think, in the third quarter, and I fell asleep, woke up the next morning to see that that notification had come through that the parlay hit. So sometimes it's just luck. I mean, I did feel good about those. And by the way, I don't take this as like advice, but I do feel like in bowl games, if the over's not crazy high and it's teams that you know can score, there's a better chance of it hitting, because again it's the human element. Like right now it's halftime and Iowa has twenty one points. Iowa went what four weeks in a season last year where they didn't total twenty one points in those four weeks, and this year they were better offensively, but you know, twenty one points and a half at Iowa with Kirk friends is just I mean, it sounds crazy.
Speaker 3: So so many of these bull have been going over though, too, Like I think the oh.
Speaker 2: Dude, that one it's I think it was sixty.
Speaker 3: It was set in like sixty or sixty three, and both teams have what like forty Yeah, it's something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the cash it was twenty one to at one point it was it was twenty one, twenty eight like early in the second quarter. Like it was crazy. So not a lot of great defense being played.
Speaker 5: Syracuse played Washington State by the okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that that over that overhead as well. So before we get to a break here, I do want speaking of bowl games, Like I talked to this a little bit when I was on HAS this morning, and I don't you know, I don't want to sound like an a hole, like I'm going out of my way to like make fun of a of a of a guy. And he is a kid, he's true freshman, but the quarterback at Nebraska, the guy who had a lot of hype coming out of high school, and he made some freshman mistakes, but overall, Dylan Rayola.
Speaker 5: Rayel, the Patrick Mahomes kid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like he's he's he's been pretty good for them. Like they they went to a bowl game for the first time. And by the way, I don't people realize this, Nebraska had the longest streak without being bowl eligible in college football. Wow, Like for a program that you know used to be good, Like that's crazy. So they got to a bowl game this time around, and they beat Boston College. I don't think they were that good, but like you know, they did take a step forward, and I think for a true freshman, he was pretty good. Again, true freshman playing quarterback, both him and the quarterback that's at Tennessee. They had some moments this year where you can see why they were recruited the way they were and I'm sure if they stick around, they'll have great careers there. But and again, there's no way to say it without sounding like an ahole. So maybe this is some self reflection for me, Austin that I am in a hole. But what he's doing basically being cosplay Mahomes. Yeah, that's weird.
Speaker 5: It's lame.
Speaker 2: I mean, yes, obviously lame, But I think the bigger thing is, like that's not normal.
Speaker 3: You see he's going to like Chiefs games and signing autographs like it's like while looking like Mahomes it.
Speaker 2: Well, so like it's one thing to where the where a number that a certain player where's It's one thing to be upfront about players that you idolized because you grew up watching them and you knew they were great and you felt like you could maybe really be motivated by the way they play give an example, and it kind of came. It came full circle for him. But Terry Rozier was obsessed with Dwayne Wade, loved Dwayne Wade, and I could see that Terry actually had a little Dwayne Wade in it, Like I think that's a decent comparison. Yeah, yes, actually their size. Like I mean, so you know I remember hearing that. I'm like, oh, yeah, I can totally tell. I could tell that he really watched Dwayne Wade very closely growing up, because there's a lot of his game that I can tell that maybe it wasn't necessarily trying to like pretend to be him, but like he he watched him study them, admired him, and you know, was motivated to try to be like him as a young kid. This guy's a young kid. He's a true freshman. But this is not like he's my favorite player and I'm going to wear his number. Shout out to Patrick Mahomes, my favorite player of all time, my role model. This dude is pretty, he's kind, he's pretending to be Mahomes and when people brought it up to him, like he's really well insulated. And I mean this, like again, I'm sound like an a hole because I don't people to go after this guy and like ruin his life and tell him that he's a loser. And I'm not even saying that I believe that, but this is not normal, and I don't feel like anybody's noticing at that level. He's in Lincoln, Nebraska. You know what that means. He's insulated. There's no big media market like talking about how weird this is. This is weird. Like if I was his parent, you know, i'd be proud of him because look at him, He's a phenomenal young man that's playing. But like this, I I would be willing to bet that there's things like that you don't even see on the surface that would be alarming. As far as like his mannerisms, every little thing he does, it's like he's trying to be Mahomes. And again, it's one thing to like model your game after him and say that you like him. But when he was asked about it, he played dumb. I don't know people remember that or not. Like I think he did acknowledge he was a fan, but early on in the season he was like offended lightly that, like, oh, I don't I don't know about that, Like you know, like he didn't know that people. He surprised. People thought that he was trying. Like his hair is very much intentionally the headband the number, the way he runs around like he was after they beat Boston College, maybe was before the game, just trying to get people hyped up. He was out there literally recreating maybe something Mahomes does every game. But like I don't watch the Chiefs enough and I would like to never watch him because I hate him. But like it was clear every little thing about the way he was bouncing, the way he was moving his like he was trying to recreate something that he saw Patrick Mahomes do, not on the field in the action, but like the celebration, the way he holds his helmet, like everything like and again that's not coincidence, and again it's harmless, I suppose, But like for for him to be a phenom freshman who had a good year for a true freshman, has a bright future there, I'm sure, Like this is not just like oh yeah, he kind of plays like Mahomes. You can tell he likes him. He's like straight up trying to beat him. Like if Patrick Mahomes ends up missing one day, I'm blaming him. I don't know, I won't. I can't prove it, but like this guy, it's it's it's kind of I.
Speaker 5: Want to be weird.
Speaker 3: I want to be mad at I mean I am, because that is a grown ass man.
Speaker 2: But you've you've kind of made me realize that I sound like an a hole, because no, I'm not mad at him, Like it doesn't bother me. But to me, it's just so blatantly weird, and nobody else seems to acknowledge it, and it's just something that stood out to me.
Speaker 3: It seems like a pr move, you know, because it's good because one day that guy is gonna hit the transfer portal and you can be surprised. He's going to be like a hot commodity because everything's gonna want him. Yeah, I'm gonna take That's a good shout, and that's it. That's gonna be his brand going forward. If nothing ever happens with him in the NFL, he's probably gonna try to make some money off of that or attach his self to Mahomes in some way. And Mahomes doesn't seem to have a problem though.
Speaker 2: Like I said, Mahomes, who I Mames one of those guys, just like Steph Curry at times went in the heat of the moment. I feel like they do a little too much wanting and maybe sometimes they get favorable, but like me feeling away negatively about Mahomes or Steph Curry is just a reminder that I'm a hater and you need to be a hater at times in sports. Yeah, those guys don't do any those guys are I think those guys are good dudes, especially to consider what Mahomes puts up with with his wife and his brother and his dad. Like, I think I think they're good dudes. They're good role models. And Mahomes was super classy and professional. And this is what this is, what actually put this on my radar, Austin, is that Mahomes was talking up the young man like maybe he's a talented guy. Man, I'm just you know, I'm flattered. I think that's I think that's cool, like just being really humble about it. And the kid was The nineteen year old was asked about what what Mahomes said almost like he thought it was cool, and he played dumb like, I don't I don't know why, I don't know, I don't know why. You know, he didn't, Like, if you're gonna be that way, you got to have parents, coaches, somebody in front of you, like read the room, bro. People know that you're obsessed, and it's cool because he's a star, but like it's just a different level of like glazing.
Speaker 5: As they say, I can't stand Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 2: I can't.
Speaker 1: I can't.
Speaker 2: I can't eat stand Patrick Mahomes at all. But it's just because he's so good and I don't want the Chiefs to keep winning.
Speaker 3: His dad is annoying to after all the playoff, he keep dad loves the booze he does. He comes off as like and he probably was instrumental on his light, but he comes off of he's definitely loving right in the coattails of famous.
Speaker 1: They all are.
Speaker 2: They love it, they all are, no doubt right quick break, don't go anywhere, keep a locker here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 4: Now back to coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: You guys know, I'm not a big I told you so guy, unless you know I occasionally have the chance to say I told you so. I'm not sure if this fits, but I've been telling people wake up, and there's no I don't. I don't get a ton of pushback, but I get some pushback on this. The acc is a lousy conference, folks. I mean, I don't say, like I'm not trying to be a jerk, Like it's one of those things like when Louisville is really lousy in basketball, like they were under Kenny Payne, I wouldn't really go to my way to like go there, but once we would talk about it, because you know, we talk about louis of basketball around here. It would be impossible for me to not just say what I think and say what I know, say what's real. But a lot of people just you know, you know, but you don't want to hear it. But what am I supposed to do? So, like, I don't have the same feeling about the ACC, meaning I'm not going to go to my way to like be critical of Louisville unless we're just being honest and you know, having to call it like it is. I have no affiliation with the ACC to where like I am when people dog Louisville, you know at times, especially if I feel like it's if it's not justified, Like I'm a fan, so I'm gonna feel a certain way and want to defend them. I have no feeling like that with the ACC. But I think because Louisville's an ACC member. There are some that like still kind of look at it that way, and I suppose I get it. I just I've never had any real emotion towards a conference because we've been everywhere since I've been a fan, and we've been successful at different levels of course throughout my entire life as a fan. So the AEC stinks, Like that's just acknowledge it. It doesn't mean that every team in the league stinks. It doesn't mean that, like you know, everybody like that they should just make the move to D two. But like, how can you watch how bad the basketball league is right now? How can you see that the football conference is? I mean where they go one and nine, they're one and nine in bowl games at this point, and they're zero to ten in against the spread because Syracuse didn't win a bowl game but they didn't cover. So like it's right in front of our face, Like this is bad, and you know you can do about it as a fan, but I just want to see them fix it. I want to see coaches be held accountable on basketball especially. I think from a football perspective, you just you just need to, like for football to be good you need Florida State to be up, You need Clemson to be up, need Miami to be up. And those are the teams that I think need to be up consistently for the for it to be a national thing, to where like the ACC's got a little got a little uh life again. And I think Louisville can be pretty good. In fact, Louisvill's been better than Miami consistently for the most part, and that speaks more to Miami than it does Louisll to be honest with you, but my point is if those three teams are usually up and they're pretty good and or you know, when I say pretty good, I mean like you know in a twelve team playoff world, you know they're alive for a good chunk of the season, and then Louisville can be a team that I feel like under Jeff Brohm, I think you can consistently find yourself as a top twenty five team. And let's be real, you would have been a top fifteen team right now as we speak, not playing in El Paso. If you beat Stanford, who who you really had to work hard to lose against? So and then if who else can be like I don't know. Syracuse is probably not sustainable, but I'm pretty impressed with Fran Brown as a head coach Pittsburgh g I don't think that's gonna work out long term because they ended the season so poorly. So, like the football side of it, like I think you can clearly be a lot better than you are, Like maybe Virginia Tech gets back one day, Like you could be a lot better than you are in football than you are right now. But like there's certain programs, let's be real, the ceilings not high. But in basketball, you got programs that like they used to carry the weight in the league and hoops and they're just having a rough stretch. Louisville, of course, is the biggest, is one of the biggest problems when it comes to that because of what happened in the last few years. So like I realize when I talk about about a SCEC basketball, like I'm aware Louisville is maybe the biggest factor in that a program. You know, when it comes to the teams in the ACC that have won national championships, there's what four that have won one in the last eleven years. Louis was one of them. There are I don't know how many that have been to a Final four in the last fifteen years, but LOUISLL is one of them. So like we still carry something that despite the past. Again I said this before. Who knows how good loisll was going to be under Pat Kelsey. The only time will tell, but Louis is always going to have to have a strong commitment to being good in basketball. There's other schools that like they may like when Boston College fires their coach, who they gonna go get, Like, who knows, maybe they get a guy that's really good, but like they don't have like the same expectations when they hire a coach. And to be honest, Louiville did have high expectations. In the end. It was somebody that a lot of people weren't thinking was a candidate. But so far, I think you can see it. Again, this is not me telling you it's going to be great, but like I can see why Josh Hurt felt like Pat Kelsey might really be what we needed around here, a guy that could utilize the resources that are here. So anytime I start talking about how bad the ACC is, like I know there's going to be people that just take it as if I'm insulting them in Louisville, and it's not that at all. The league, Like even if you don't like it, doesn't mean it's not true. Like the numbers have never been more in front of your face to tell you that the league stinks and it needs to be better. And I'm more worried about basketball than anything because basketball, you know, I guess I'm more sad that it's as bad as it is. That's the better way to put it. Because I still think the likelihood of like this league not getting better with some coaching changes, I think that would be a real surprise. But it's just in a really tough stretch right now. But if you wanted more evidence that the ACC is just in a bad way, the current NET rankings, which again that's the formula that the NCAA Selection Committee uses. It's similar to the Ken Palm, the Bart Torvik rankings that are out there. Those will cons of different formulas that'll you can reference, but the NET is the one the NAA created and they use it. And right now, the bottom ten programs from the power leagues meaning ACC SEC, Big ten, Big twelve in the Big East. Of the ten, worst six of them are in the ACC. In fact, wow, wow, four of them are in the bottom five. The five worst power teams Power five teams in college basketball are from the Atlantic Coast Conference, Boston College, Virginia Tech, Seaton Hall, Miami, Georgia Tech. In fact, you've got four of the top five. In fact, he let me, let me, let me, let me make it even worse, You've got six. Let me different. Am I losing my mind here? Yeah? Cal is in the ACC. Unless I'm drunk, right, yep. Still sounds weird, So like it doesn't seem like, hey, that's an ACC team, but Cal, Syracuse, Georgia Tech, Miami, Virginia Tech, and Boston College. That's so yeah, six of the top six of the worst ten are in the ACC. And that's not like an opinion, that's not a hater that's got biased towards the ACC. That's just a formula and the other formul like nobody's out to get the ACC. And this is what always bothered me, and I made it a bigger talking point that I needed to. But at the ACC Basketball media days that I went to the a CEC tip off, the noise was that they were they were victims like the media that were there, the coaches, the commissioner. Their their tone was more so that we've the the you know, the end. The committee needs to give us some more respect. They're biased against us, when in reality, nobody's biased against you, like this is who you are, and I just I was it was it really was alarming to me something that I think was at one time sacred ACC basketball folks. Instead of realizing we have like we're not what we once were, they're just like, well, they're picking on us. And look, I know there's been a big change in coaches and maybe these coaches, I mean like Rick, Rick got out and he didn't want to leave, and that led to you know, Mac and Mack. Look, let's be real, Mac would be thriving in the ACC right now. I'm biased because I love Mac and he's doing a fine job at Charleston and I'm not saying like he should still be the coach here now, but like when it fell apart for Mac, like Mac never even get to finish the ACC schedule in the one year that they were down, and you know, it fell apart and he left, So you know, like it started right around that time and Beheim leaving and it being left to Red Autrey, Hubert Davis taking Hubert Davis and Carolina is still a good team for sure, they played in the championship game just two years ago. But there's they're not the Carolina standard, which most aren't because you know, Carolina is Carolina. So they've they've to where now they're not even ranked. It's not even a quad one win if you get it on Wednesday. So again, here they are one of the best league, one of the best teams in the league, one of the last opportunities for Love to get a big win. But yet like their way off their standard this year. How many losses they have, like five or six. So you know, my point is this, like I think Shyer will do well there. I've really this year. You know, we'll see what he does in the tournament. But I feel like he's in a pretty good spot there where they're gonna have enough talent. And I said this not that long ago. Kind of felt weird, Sam, but I think he's a good coach. Like, I think he'll do well there. Building k shoes are different. But these dudes who like Bennett Bennett leaving and leaving leaving the job when he did, he clearly did it to get his assistant a job. So maybe these schools will show when they do have to go out and make a hire that wasn't something they were kind of forced to do, then they'll go out and get a good coach and basketball will be back. But like right now, it's in a bad way because anytime I mentioned the ACC being really down, people, well, look at all, look at all the call the legends they lost. Okay, should we just close down the league? Like I mean, can we not have life after these guys? Like you know, other leagues are getting better because they're hiring good coaches, and like you know, I hope the ACC does that, and maybe they will. There's not been a guy that got a job at an ACC program that that, you know, since these guys left that. I'm like, man, this is a song that they don't care about basketball anymore. Because again, like you knew Roy Williams is going to leave it to Hubert, you knew Shire was gonna was gonna be the guy after Duke before uh, after k before he retired. And I think Shire has done a good job. But the other schools like Miami, Florida State Virginia, Syracuse. They've got to They've got to figure out, like Syracuse is the most important to me because I think they can always be good, but they've only ever had Beheim do where you really don't know. So I bring all this up to say, the acc on the floor, on the court terrible right now, not in a good way. Anybody trying to commitce you otherwise is just in denial. But they're also just doing like King Galleran way, like counmbarrassing. Was it that Florida State and Clemson were trying to sue to get out of this league and then Florida State out? I mean, it was nice to see Florida State fall on their face, but like that's not a good look for your league. It's embarrassing, to be honest with you. I mean they're more embarrassed than anybody. But still, and then you've got Laryonnega leaving mid season and blaming it on you know, the new way of college hoops, which you know it helped you the first year, and then now you've got this situation at Florida State, like this is really a product of kind of where we are. But still like the first program to have it come out like this where these guys are filing a lawsuit because they didn't get paid what they were told they were going to be paid by their head coach. To be honest with you, I've talked to a couple people today this happening, which we'll get to it. On the other side, there's six former players that are finding a one and a half million dollar a lawsuit against Leonard Hamilton for him telling them they were going to be making a certain amount of money and they didn't get in. They didn't get it. But and that's again leave it to Florida State and the ACC to be the ones that kind of get this public embarrassment. However, there are so many programs around the country right now, high level programs that saw this and felt, uh, oh, somebody broke the ice. A domino fell because there's a lot of dudes that didn't get the money they were supposed to get and they just you know, felt like it was you know, they probably just took it on the chin. Well, this lawsuit, I think is going to open up more lawsuits. There are guys that have set out games for high major programs this year and last year because if you know, dealing with something. Nah, it was a mispayment. It was it was checking receipts. Why have I not been paid what I was told i'd be paid? And it's it's I don't really know how you fix it. But like again, of all programs to have it be the one that gets, you know, it gets the embarrassment of it. Like it's a terrible look for Florida State, right, Like I don't know, like how does Florida State expect Leonard Hamilton recruit at all? Or or how can you tell somebody come here with this nil package when you got a lawsuit from six dudes who were told they'd make a quarter of a million dollars and didn't get anything, Like they're now set up to be even worse. They have to fire Lonald Hamilton. How can you how can he survive this? And really he's done for saying he's going to give him money when he's not doing it, and yet he doesn't know where the money's coming from. But at the end of day, this guy's just trying to survive in this new world of college basketball. But I just I don't know. I sometimes I'm looking like like I was about the Mahomes cosplay with this in the acc Auten. I'm looking around, like, is anybody realizing, like what happened to.
Speaker 5: The acc here?
Speaker 2: Like this is bad? I quick break will come back on the other side for a short segment right here on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 4: Ninety Now back to coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: So very little time left here, but I will pick up where I left off. I kind of just started ranting about the acc assuming everybody had the full details of what the big news is today and I didn't mention it, but not really like the actual specifics. But six I'm sorry, five former Florida State players, including a former Louisville cardinal, Josh Nickelberry, he has uh filed they've filed lawsuits against Leonard Hamilton, specifically because they have proof that he kept telling them over and over that they'll be paid the money that he told them they'd make when they came to Florida State for nil. However, they never got paid. And you know that's that's happening in a lot of places unfortunately. I mean, I've never believed that these guys make anywhere close to what is being alleged. I don't, I never have, and I can't prove that, but I just I know there's people that have a lot more money than I'll ever have to where if they can give a quarter of a million dollars to a player and it's nothing, then you know, maybe they will, but it just doesn't make any sense at all to do it. And I just, you know, that's just my thoughts. But these guys were all apparently told they'd make two hundred and fifty thousand dollars. We're talking about Josh Nickleberry, Darren Green, Junior, Primo Spears, Cameron Fletcher, Deontay Green, and Jalen Warley. So two guys are no longer eligible, Green and Nickleberry, and then Primo Spears transferred to UTSA. Cameron Fletcher's transferred. He went to Kentucky by the way initially, but he's now at Xavier. And then Deyontay Green. I don't know where he ended up. But jamaln Worley actually plays for Gonzaga. So Hamilton kept telling people that his business partners would be the ones that would actually get them taken care of when it comes to nil, which that is that's legal, you can do that. For example, Kenny Payne, you guys remember hearing the story about he left money on the table from the Fibo two circle that they raised. It's because that idiot, you know, felt of all people to feel like arrogant. I mean, he didn't want that Fibo two circle money because he would just use money from like his rich business partners who he's you know who, they're probably friends, not necessarily business partners, but all you know, people he rubs elbows with, and they've got a lot of money. So that's how Lol was able to pay just by winning four four games in a season and they could go out and get get a class that, to be honest with you, was pretty good. So you know he's not paying it. He's not allowed. He's allowed to donate. That's a change meaning Hamilton, but like he was claiming it was coming from his business partners. These guys actually boycotted a practice in nearly boycotted a game and because they were like all right, like what's going on here? So you know, I don't know how Leonard Hamilton can survive this in any way. I also didn't really I mean I knew he was older and he's looked the same for like fifty years. I saw a picture of him when he coached with Eddie Sutton, and I think he actually might have coach with Joey Hall two at Kentucky and he looked the same then as he does now. So you know, I don't think they're gonna win their lawsuit because there's no contract, But still like this is a bad look for Leonard Hamilton in Florida State that really the issue is more so where we are in college sports. But to be the first one to have this happen, it's gonna be the one people remember, I really do. I think that's gonna be the case. All right, It's Coffee and Company feel about Thorn's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety