Speaker 1: Breaking news and this one is almost unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's all about new customers at bet three sixty five because they get one hundred and fifty dollars in bonus bets when they bet five dollars and even better, bonus bets can be used on the spread totals and player props.
Speaker 1: There you have it. Bet five dollars to get one hundred and fifty dollars in bonus bets and see why it's never ordinary At bet Basis five Gambling problem call one in one hundred. Gambler twenty one plus only must be physically located in Virginia. Terms and conditions apply.
Speaker 3: Holiday magic is in the air at iFly Indoor Skydiving Imagine unwrapping the experience of flight. iFly is the perfect unique gift for anyone who wants to turn their dream of flying into a joyful reality. It's unforgettable fun for all ages. Save over thirty five percent with iflies limited time holiday gift voucher Flight packages turn dreams into unforgettable moments with the gift of flight. Go to iflyworld dot com to purchase your holiday gift vouchers. That's iflyworld dot com.
Speaker 4: On Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 5: Welcome back in Coffee and Company hour number two. Here on a Thursday afternoon, we are fuel about Thortons. Make sure you sign up to become a member of the Thornton's Refreshming Awards program if you haven't already. You'll save money at the gas pump. And if that becomes where you go to get gas, because you know you want to save money, you're going to see all the new food items that they have. They've got now tossed boneless wings, sweet red Chili, Bold Barbecue. They've got the limited time only waffle sausage, egg and cheese breakfast sandwich. They've got pizza. You can get two slices of their pizza for just six bucks. So they rolled out three awesome new food items just in the last few days. So make sure you check it out. And if you haven't given them a shot, you should. I know a lot of people still probably think of gas station convenience store food and they think, oh please, no. They worry about you know, is it the only option. Well, I'm telling you it's delicious and you won't know until you try. So keep them in mind if you're in Kentucky, inn And there's likely that Thornton's close to you, because you know they're everywhere. They're awesome. I'll tell you who else is awesome? Kid Spencer from WHAS eleven. He now joins us Ken. How are we doing?
Speaker 6: Brother?
Speaker 7: What a segue?
Speaker 5: Do you like that? It just came to me naturally too. I wasn't even like planning it, and it worked out. Sometimes sometimes it's just sometimes you're just in the zone, and I guess that's where I'm at today. So I appreciate you acknowledging that, you know, because I'll take a pat on the back.
Speaker 6: I will. Now.
Speaker 5: I want to talk hoops first. We've been able in the last week to see both these new coaches, Pat Kelsey Mark Pope have their first test. Obviously, one result was way different than the other. We'll start with Louisville and I'm gonna ask you to predict the future here. Let's say six weeks from now we are we're looking at that game, we're looking back. Do you think we're able to say that that result Rick Barnes and Pack Kelsey going up against each other last week? Did that when we're six weeks out well, that's say more about Louisville or more about Tennessee.
Speaker 7: I think it'll say more about Tennessee than it will Louville. Okay, yeah, I think excuse me just because I think we were kind of going into that game really, I mean even last week, you know, you and I kind of talked like I would be surprised if Louisville wasn't that game court, yeah, all this stuff, and so like I think it says more about Tennessee than it does it does Louisville. Like, hey, when the lights came on and the game started counting for real, this Tennessee team is is legit, right, and they went and got some pieces in the portal and and they were really good and this is a this is a really good basketball team. Like I think that that says everything about Tennessee. And by the way, they have new pieces or guys in new roles, like I get it, but like everything is so new for Louisville. Sometimes you have to go through those fires and before you can, you know, learn to to kind of conquer the battle, so to speak. And so I think that was that's what it was for Louisville, right, Like I think Louisville will end up learning a lot about themselves and it's a chance for them to get better. And you would rather be able to get better in a win and good performances, but sometimes you need to get knocked on your butt to be able to learn what you can and can't do. And I think that's what Saturday is going to end up being for this team.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and they hadn't had any bit of adversity at all, and that's nobody's fault. That's just how things played out. And they weren't tested in any way in any of the exhibitions that they've played. And then you come out and you play a really good team, they not only show that they are worthy of where they're ranked, maybe they should be ranked higher. But I think Rick Barnes and I knew going in he was somebody that does not play the same style that Pat Kelsey plays, but he really is the exact kind of coach that would probably love the idea of matching up with the team like that because he thinks he can take them out of what they want to do. And they did that really well. But I'm probably overthinking a little bit here, But I felt like when I was watching Louisville out there offensively and they were not able to do what they wanted for the first time ever, you know, and again, there's no way to prepare for that until you've been in a situation like that. But I could tell these guys where like, Okay, it's not working, what do we do? And it kind of turned into guys that were thinking, Okay, I guess I'll try to create. Now, I'll try to go get a bucket. And I don't blame them. I probably would have done the same exact thing. But when you are learning that you're going to have to have a little more variety offensively, maybe get into some sets, do some things that aren't just a product of playing fast and having a bunch of possessions getting rhythmic threes. What would and again it's tough to say, I guess it's a guess at this point from what you have, from what you have seen with this LOWU levelle team, who would you guess can be the two three guys that if they do need to go get a bucket, if you really have to rely on somebody not getting a bucket because of the system, but because hey, they have the ability to go do it. They can break somebody down, they've got a mismatch. Who would you start with? Because I think there's a lot of options, But there's also the other side of that coin, which is I think got a lot of guys that are kind of the same level, you know what I mean, right, I don't know who would be the guy that Okay, here's who we need to lean on when we're when we're down in a close game or we got to finish. I just I think it could be a variety of guys. But I don't even know where to start as far as who would be.
Speaker 7: Ye, honestly, like I would probably need more time because on the surface, I would tell you, or before that game, I would tell you, I think it's Terrence Edwards Junior.
Speaker 5: But same here, he looked.
Speaker 7: Really really uncomfortable in that game, Like it it like I think, and this is gonna sound weird to say, but like he looked shook in that game, like it was like I totally agree, I'm not comfortable with this at all. So like before that game I would have said him, I would probably say him going forward, but I'm almost gonna have to see more because and to be quite honest with you as as as we're talking, Like, if it's not him, then I don't know if they have anybody.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I can't. I mean from what we've seen, I'm with you and with Terrence Edwards Junior. I feel like seeing him last year and I remember it because it was it was a big upset early on in college basketball. James Madison went in East Lansing and beat Michigan State and he was the guy. He had like twenty five points I think it was or something like that, and here he is playing for a bigger program, and yeah, he looked just uncomfortable. That's the best way to describe it. And I'm just guessing here, But it.
Speaker 6: Could be a fact.
Speaker 5: It could be the fact that these guys do fit like they have a skill set to where they're fitting with what pack Kelsey wants to do. But you know that maybe they're at their best when they're doing something a little bit different. I mean, I'm sure they've been working on what they can do to get into something that can produce better looks than what we saw against that great half court defense from Tennessee. But I don't disagree with you. I don't really know what you, I don't really know where you'd start as far as trying to figure out a way to initiate something in the half court to where you can get somebody at the free throw line consistently or just get you know, consistent good looks. It was a It was a real reminder that Pat Kelsey's success and I don't blame him for doing this at Charleston and at Winthrop because that's what you got to do at that level. His success has really been dependent upon him in stall and initiating a style and it working really well, him getting players that fit what he wants to do. But when you play at a higher level, you're going to face teams that they're well, they're well equipped to be able to take you out of what you want to do, and you've got to be able to revert to something else.
Speaker 6: What that is.
Speaker 5: I'm kind of puzzled myself because I think they have some decent players, but the ceiling I'll just say this and get your reaction to it Saturday. I'm not saying this team is going to be bad the rest of the way. Maybe they play some other teams of Tennessee's caliber and they pull off an upset or two that could happen. It's early. However, it really hit me that, man, the ceiling for this group, I'm not really sure how high it is.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, you know one of the things that and look, they played against a team that was probably a really bad matchup for them, yep, because Tennessee outside as a kai ziggler can switch at every position and you can't beat that guy off the bounce and ze kai ziggler doesn't allow himself to get screened. Like when Tennessee was locked in defensively, they could switch anywhere on the court and they were good.
Speaker 5: They're so physical too, and you.
Speaker 7: Weren't gonna beat them. And you know, Pat Kelsey wants Louisville to pass up a good shot, you know, good for great and good wasn't there, and and they could they never could find great. I mean, how many times did we see a contested three get blocked and then lead to transition the other the other way? On Saturday, like Louisville was, Louisville was frustrated with the physicality and with the athleticism that they were going up against in Tennessee, and they just didn't know how to react. Now, I think that eventually this you have to learn how to react to that, right, Like you have to to be able to deal with that. And the reason why we saw one on one place, the reason why we saw guys almost dribbling the air out of the ball was because I think they just kind of reverted like, Hey, I'm just I'm uncomfortable, so I'm gonna revert. And that's definitely not the way to go. And Pat Kelsey even mentioned it and game news conference, and when you're in that kind of a game for the first time, a new guy that you've never been at this moment before, I think that's natural, Like that's the natural thing. And so that's why I think Louisville will get better and they'll learn from that because that's an experience that they felt. Now you have to grow from that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think Pat Kelsey will will die trying as far as figuring out what he can do to get it fixed to where they're not in that situation again. But the more the more time that passes since Saturday afternoon, it really is just a reminder that there was really no way to one know how they were going to do in that game. And for those guys on the floor and the coaches. I mean, they're they're kind of finding out in real time and there's no way to put a plan together, you know, there's no They've never been through any level of being challenged and it gets that's nobody's fault. That's just how the schedule had played out. So the ten day break is is probably not a go ahead.
Speaker 7: The two most comfortable people on the floor for Louisville we're Nobel Waterman and Rain Smith, and I don't even think it was close.
Speaker 1: I would agree breaking news and this one is almost unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's all about new customers at bet three sixty five because they get one hundred and fifty dollars in bonus bets when they bet five dollars, and even better, bonus bets can be used on the spread, totals and player props.
Speaker 1: There you have it. Bet five dollars to get one hundred and fifty dollars in bonus bets and see why it's never ordinary at bet bosus five gambling problem call one in hundred. Gambler twenty one plus only must be physically located in Virginia. Terms and conditions applying.
Speaker 8: Black Friday is coming, and for the adults in your life who love the coolest toys, well there's something for them this year too. Batisian is the premiere craft cocktail maker that automatically makes more than sixty seasonal and classic cocktails each and out of thirty seconds at the push of a buzzo. And right now Batisian is having a huge sight wide sale. You can get one hundred dollars off any cocktail maker or tail maker bundle when you spend four hundred dollars or more so, if the cocktail lover in your life has been good this year or the right kind of bad, get them Bartisian at the push of a button, make Bark quality Cosmopolitans, Martini's, Manhattan's, and more, all in just thirty seconds, all for ae hundred off. Amazing toys an't just for kids. Get a hundred off a cocktail maker when you spend four hundred Through Cyber Monday, visit Bartisian dot com slash cocktail that's b A R T S I A N dot com slash cocktail.
Speaker 7: Definitely rain Smith and Waterman in the first half, and then I really didn't think he got much run in the second half, Like, I think he had ten points at halftime, and I think that's what he ended up finishing with. But like Waterman looked pretty you know, because you know where they were beforehand. They were kind of roll guys, right and so like so moving the ball and being match and see your things. Like for them, it just that that's it, and so I thought they were comfortable. Now, I will say this if if you're Louisville and Rain Smith has taken the amount of shots that he took against Tennessee on a game by game basis, like you know, and because he's a terrific shooter, but if he's that guy taking those kind of shots, I think you've got bigger.
Speaker 5: Problems, no doubt. I think he's gonna have the green light for sure. But yes, guys that you feel like you would want taking many more shots than him just couldn't. I mean, they would have to just throw up prayers because that's how easy they were to defend at times, which that was That's what really stood out to me. And again I'm with you. I think in the end we'll think that that that result was more about Tennessee than anything else. But as far as how they would go it like if they were going to play again in two weeks. I mean, Pat Kelsey's the one making millions of dollars to figure it out. But I don't even really know what you would do. You know, again, you got to try different things and see what works. But clearly I wasn't working for him on Saturdays. Switch gears here to the Kentucky Dukee game. Obviously a big win for Mark Pope. I don't think you can overstate how phenomenal that was for Kentucky. Everybody involved, their fans, obviously the players and Mark Pope himself. I mean, I don't want to act like they didn't play well.
Speaker 6: They did.
Speaker 5: They beat Duke.
Speaker 6: But what would be.
Speaker 5: More encouraging than anything if I was a Kentucky fan was that I don't think that they did anything crazy. There wasn't some scenario in the game that played out to where you're like, well, we'll never do that again. I mean, Jackson Robinson didn't even show up seemingly and they still were able to hold on and beat a really talented Duke team. I mean, if you're a Kentucky fan and you're Mark Pope, you got to feel really, really good about where you are right now. That was a great way to get that era started.
Speaker 7: You know what was the most impressive thing for me watching that performance? And you know, it's easy to compare like Louisville Kentucky at this point, right because they have new coaches, they have all their rosters are just transfers, you know, like a whole a bunch of new guys. And remember how we even talked about like, look like they got Louisville got punched in the mouth and they didn't really react the right way. And and I think and in some part it's because they haven't been together as a group to kind of go through that. And and that's understandable. Well, the most impressive thing is is in the first half, you know, do punched Kentucky in the mouth with their physicality and getting into pain and kind of bully them, bully them, and we're and and we're playing harder. And in the second half, you know, Kentucky, you know, they they kind of forged up. And Mark Pope even talked about it in the postgame press conference. You know, it's in those moments it's easy to get away from the huddle. Our guys got dialed in even deeper into the huddle, and so like, I think that they came together and they stayed together, and.
Speaker 5: You wouldn't know that they're all new together, right Like, you would not know that that's a group that's never played a game together until a few weeks ago.
Speaker 7: And for me, I thought that was the most impressive interesting thing that probably came out of that game. And right like, they probably didn't like, I don't think they played bad offensively, I don't think they played good. Like they missed a ton of shots and open shots, and they missed some layups and you know, like they weren't perfect. They didn't beat Duke by just getting hot and lighting up the nets. They beat them. They beat Duke in the second half by like just scratching and clawing and defending their tails off and you know, like almost out hustling this team and making the key the key plays in the stretches when they mattered. Most like, that's how they won. And for you know, a coach that's known for like this, this wide open offense and everything that kind of comes with that, and your best offensive player not kind of answering the bell in that particular game, Like I think it speaks volumes, and by the way, they still scored seventy seven points.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think there was just about I mean, other than Jackson Robinson, who really just never got to go and played a lot of minutes, just never really I mean, he didn't he didn't do anything to really hurt him. He just kind of was out there. But it didn't It wasn't something you noticed a whole lot because Kentucky, as you mentioned, when they that run that Duke had early, they got up maybe twelve thirteen, and then it quickly was down to six, and then from then on it was just a back and forth game. But I feel like every everybody who played legitimate minutes in that game, outside of Robinson, there was a moment where they did something. Rather it be getting a steal, knocking down an unexpected three, getting a rebound. I mean, even Crease off the bench. He only scored two threes, but man, they were huge at the time that they made him. It was like, you know, everybody was ready, not not bothered by the moment. They were unfazed. And that's that's what you would expect from a group that is a lot of veterans. But it's one thing to, you know, to do it at a different level. It's one thing to do it when you have a different role at your previous school. But yeah, that I would have if you if you told me ahead of time that you know this Kentucky team and they've been playing together for years, you know they're there, balanced, they're deep, They've got a lot of different ways to beat you.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 5: And then I watched that game, I would I would have believed it. So Mark Pope seems to really be getting a lot of praise, and he deserves it. I don't know if you could think of a guy at a job like that in his first big test, to to have his team play that well. Obviously there's a lot of ball left to be played. Duke's gonna get better. They're young, but I can get why Big Blue Nation is feeling the way they're feeling right now. That's that was the hell of a win for him.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, and and it seems like, uh, you know, he talked again to day and it just seems like, you know, they're not they're not going to be phased by the by the praise they've gotten in the last two games. I mean, that's the least you know, the kind of message that he wanted to send that Look, this is it's a marathon to get to the NCAA tournament and you've got to continue to grow and and to be honest, like, you know, they've got a they've got a decent non conference schedule that they're gonna play, you know, going out to Gonzagen and a couple other places. And then I'm so the SEC this year is no joke. And and so like when you look at it, like they've they're gonna have their challenges, they're going to get better, but you know everybody else is going to get better as well. But you know, for a for a new coaching staff and a completely new roster, I think you have to like where they're starting from.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you know, I don't know, I mean, how much higher the ceiling is for this group because most of these veterans are probably you know, pretty much going to be who they are. But if they keep playing like that and then Jackson Robinson does what everybody knows he can do, that's where I mean you got to feel like the ceiling's pretty high for this for this Kentucky team. Now you mentioned the SEC. If you haven't I totally get it, but I'm just curious. Have you watched any of Arkansas yet?
Speaker 7: I have not watched. I have not watched Arkansas. I think the only other se the only two SEC teams that I've that I've watched outside of Kentucky. To be honest with you, I watched the Auburn Houston game. Uh the game. Then I obviously watched Tennessee.
Speaker 5: So with our Arkansas, I thought with Cala Perry and again it's it's early. Who knows he's still bringing in elite freshman. I think he landed one in the last couple of days, but I think you're gonna get at Arkansas the same exact col that towards the end. Just really it wasn't working. His style of play is becoming archaic, seemingly. You know, he's I mean, I don't want to say he's not he's not energized, but like I felt like the scenario where he goes to Arkansas and he really kills it and makes Kentucky fans wish that they still had him would be if he reinvented himself or he was just re energized and really started to change a lot of things and he could get away with doing it because he wouldn't be proving they're wrong. He's in a new place and he's you know, but I'm telling you, listening to him after his press after his games, in those press conferences, watching them play. They were down to Troy last night, I kind of feel like it's there's a better chance of it going worse at Arkansas than it did at Kentucky. Now, again two different standards. Arkansas is a good basketball school, no doubt. Musselman was a reminder that they do care about hoops. But the breakup Kentucky's winning it in a major way right now.
Speaker 7: Now. I have seen some of his pressers that he's that he's had sounds like a lunatic kid. Well you know that that all like he's playing the hits. Yeah, and those things work when you're winning at a high level. And early on at Kentucky he was winning at a high level.
Speaker 5: And yeah, those aren't hits anymore the last few years, like they're not there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they're they're not hits anymore. There's not anything they want to play. And by the way, you know, the guy who came up with the offense that they ran last year with with all that talent that they had. John Welch, he didn't go with him to Arkansas. You know, he's a he's at Presno right now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and he was gonna he was gone even if Cal stayed, right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he left the staff, and so you know, he's he's got the pretty much almost the same.
Speaker 5: Staff figured out Ken Antiguo.
Speaker 7: And Kenny Pains there. But you got Chin Coleman and a couple of those other guys that went with him there and his son. So I mean, like it's going to be the same thing. Like it there is no difference, and so I just you know, I don't know where the attention to detail is. Like he loves he loves recruiting. He's still going to get top flight talent there. But what's he gonna do with that top flight talent? You know, It's it's early in the season, but right now, like I know, I didn't watch the game, I knew they were down one at the half to Troy last night.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and not a good Troy team either.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yes, again, no doubt Kentucky went in the break up in the early stages here, all right, real quick. Louisville Stanford on Saturday, Louisville coming off obviously a monster victory against Clemson. They had the bye week, They're playing the worst team in the ACC twenty point favorites. I mean, I would expect him to take care of business and and get their seventh win on Saturday. Obviously, anything can happen, But what do you I mean, it just feels weird knowing that they're going to Stanford the Bay Area to play a conference game this late in the year against such a bad team. I mean, it just feels like a wasted time, to be honest with you.
Speaker 7: Oh, I mean, look, I mean, all this stuff is fine, but you know how these things have worked out with conferences like Oregon and the Big Ten and all that stuff, Like, I hate it with the fire of a thousand suns.
Speaker 1: Breaking news, and this one is almost unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's all about new customers at bet three sixty five because they get one hundred and fifty dollars in bonus bets when they bet five dollars, and even better, bonus bets can be used on the spread totals and player props.
Speaker 1: There you have it, bet five dollars to get one hundred and fifty dollars in bonus bets and see why it's never ordinary at bet Basics five The gambling problem Call one inn hundred Gambler twenty one plus only must be physically located in Virginia. Terms and conditions apply.
Speaker 8: Black Fridays. And for the adults in your life who love the coolest toys, well there's something for them this year too. Bartisian is the premiere craft cocktail maker that automatically makes more than sixty seasonal and classic cocktails each and out of thirty seconds at the push of a button. And right now, Bartisian is having a huge sight wide sale. You can get one hundred dollars off any cocktail maker or cocktail maker bundle when you spend four hundred dollars or more so, if the cocktail lover in your life has been good this year or the right kind of bad, get them Bartesian at the push of a button, make bar quality Cosmopolitans, Martini's, Manhattan's, and more, all in just thirty seconds, all for a hundred off. Amazing toys aren't just for kids. Get one hundred off a cocktail maker when you spend four hundred. Through Cyber Monday, visit Bartisian dot com slash cocktail. That's b A R T E sia n dot com slash cocktail.
Speaker 7: But I mean it is what it is. But for louisvill football, like you go out there, you take care of business on the on the West coast, even though you know the semi truck had to leave last night for a forty weeks saw that, Like it's just insane, but you need to be able to take care of business. And just you know, you you don't control your own destiny. You just you're hoping to kind of keep your you know, yourself alive for some stuff when it comes to postseason play.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I think if they if they can get a good start, which that's been an issue for him this year, but they do have momentum right now. They really turned it around, I feel like at halftime against Boston College and they were able to carry that that over to Clemson and it definitely paid off in a major way. And wouldn't shock me if they get off to a good start early and it really just turns into a beatdown, which not that that would really prove a whole lot, but Louisville hasn't really been in that situation, and in fact the Clempson game shouldn't have been as close as it was as far as the score. It's wild to say that that actually probably was their most convincing win this year when it comes to playing you know, legitimate comp tians. So a little later than a lot of people would would have liked to see, but they certainly have some momentum here as they are rounding out the rounding out the regular season. But Kent, it's always appreciate you making time for us. Always enjoy the conversation. Keep up the great work at WHAS eleven and we'll talk sooner.
Speaker 7: Brother, Hi, buddy, this was fun.
Speaker 5: Thank you, no doubt, Ken Spencer. WHAS eleven always fun, good stuff. Love our chats with Kent. Let's take a quick break. We'll come back on the other side. He mentioned Louisville not controlling their own destiny, and he's right, and I'll give you the long list. I mean, I'm not just gonna read a list that would be boring. We're not boring around here. But the scenario where Louisville would in fact end up in Charlotte, we'll talk about that next. Right here, it's Coffee and Company. Feel bout Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety tell that I've really I've been well. I'm sure others have been more positive more optimistic than me, But for me, and if you know, you know, I at times can be viewed as super negative and pessimistic. And although I will agree that if I had to lean one way, that would be I mean, that's fair. But sometimes I'm just honest and I'm not you know, shaking the pomp pumps, leading the pep rally and it makes people think like I'm negative. But throughout the entire Louisville season this year in football, it was so frustrating, But it wasn't because I was like, oh my goodness, what happened? How did Louisville gets How did how did Jeff Brohm get such a bad batch of players in the portal? This is disastrous. Like, I was never worried about anything big picture. They were just making some boneheaded mistakes that you know, will cost you a game. And they had opportunities early especially that we you know with that Simme, you nobody knew SMU was going to end up being in the position there in now when Louisville played him earlier this year. So because you had those big opportunities early and you lost, I mean, it pretty much eliminated you from seeing yourself in the ACC Championship or the playoff of that matter. So you know, I'm not I'm not sour about that. I mean, it's unfortunate, but you know, if you finished the season strong, maybe there are some that will look and think, Man really blew it. Had we not screwed up at Notre Dame as many times as we did, had we not had such a bad start against SMU defensively, had you know, we played a little bit better against Miami than Man, we could have potentially done something really special because you got a quarterback who you only have one year, who's really special. I hope you have Isaac Brown for a long time, but let's be real, nothing would shock me when it comes to him, that's how special he is. So you know, everybody's gonna view it the way they want to view it, but I am I'm choosing to be positive. But it is sort of you know, to look back at, you know, earlier this year, like the opportunities were there, and you know, when you fall short, it's not going to kill you. I mean, Louisville is getting a lot of respect for how well they played three teams that the committee views his top fifteen teams. And then they beat Clemson like a drum at their place, which doesn't happen very often. So you know, the real bummer is that early on this year, you knew that a lot of the things you had talked about and aimed for were gone. And I still believe that to be the case. But let me give you what needs to happen over the next three weeks for Louisville to have a chance to be in Charlotte. And I don't want to present this with people thinking I'm doing it because I'm telling you to get your hopes up. I don't think you should get your hopes up. You can do what you want, though, over the next three weeks. Louisville needs SMU to win out. They need pitt to beat Clemson, need Georgia Tech to beat NC State, need Virginia to beat Virginia Tech. You need Boston College to beat North Carolina, You need Stanford to beat cal and you need Syracuse or Wake to take down Miami. So I mean, among a lot of Among the many things I just laid out, just about all of them are unlikely. Now again, upsets happened. I mean last week was the perfect reminder of that, right because you see where you stand in the initial playoff rankings and you think, okay, well, now we just got to take care of business. We're there, let's just put it on cruise control and take care of business and we're going to be okay, it'll all play itself out. Well, that's when you get tight. You start thinking so much about not screwing up. What do you do you screw up? So you know, maybe there is some chaos, but the amount of unexpected things that would need to happen, it just it to me, it seems damn near impossible. But again maybe that's just maybe that's just me. I mean I don't think it is. But if you want to get your hopes up and you want to just kind of keep the dream alive because you know that's that's your mentality, that's how you do things, that's how you operate, then you know, knock yourself out. I'd say of those things as far as what is least likely most likely, I mean, let's see here, see if I can pull it up. I just had it here we go. I mean, the thought of SMU winning out that seems probable. No doubt about that. Pit to beat Clemson. They play this weekend, right, I don't see that happening. Do they play this weekend?
Speaker 6: I think they do.
Speaker 5: Pitt got humbled with a beat down by SMU and then they lost to a pretty pretty mid Virginia team last week on their home field. So you know, I doubt that Pitt beats Clemson. Georgia Tech beating NC State, I'd say that of all the things that's probable, Virginia beating Virginia Tech, that wouldn't be a huge upset, but it would be an upset. Boston College and North Carolina I'd say they're probably in the same boat right now. Stanford beating Cal again, those are the two worst teams in the league. Syracuse or Awake taking down Miami probably is the most unlikely because I don't know. Miami's had close games and they've been able to survive, and they did lose last week. But you know, Wake is terrible, and then Syracuse, you really never know what you're gonna get. Although I will say Frand Brown is the kind of guy that I could see pulling off that kind of an upset, but it's not something that I predict. So SMU man, like I said it last week when we got our initial look at the playoff rankings, that you could argue that they they you know, they need more respect. And here we are once again where I mean, what is SMU rank right now in the playoff rankings? Let me pull up the updated playoff rankings, because they didn't they didn't drop obviously, but they are in my opinion, and maybe this is just some acc bias for me, they're the team that probably is I mean, are they at yeah, they're at number fourteen? How'd they fall? What were they at last year? Or the yeah they were at number thirteen?
Speaker 6: They fell.
Speaker 5: That, I mean, I guess just because of the other shake up, the other things that have happened. You know, Georgia takes another loss, and you know they fall, they fall down, but not enough to where SMU would be ahead of them. So I think I think SMU is the most interesting case study here as far as the committee not really knowing where to put a lot of teams, including SMU. So here are the SME is right now in SMU, because they're new to the ACC, the ACC is not going to get the same love from the Committee that the SEC in the Big ten is going to get, which is understandable. But I think it's also because SMU is in their first year of a power league. And I know some people look at it and say, well, that's a bad sign for that's a really bad sign for the ACC that this team comes in and they're running the show. And I mean, I think SMU is actually that good. But you know, if you choose to see it the other way, I understand that too. But SMU right now eight to one, they have a rank. They have a win against Louisville at Louisville beat them by seven at Louisville. Again, this is a win that the Committee views is really valuable. They think the committee, the Committee thinks leivel is a top twenty team. They beat Pitt by twenty three points, who's now seven and two. They beat Duke, who's seven and three. That's not a great win, but again we're talking about two seven win teams. They're only loss. I mean, they have a three point loss at home to BYU, who's number six, and also undefeated. So another eight and one team who's ranked number three ranked wins not a one best win, Vandy by three. A six and four Vandy team that is their next best win is Oklahoma who's five and five. Their loss it's only one loss, but they lost about fifteen in home to a two loss Georgia team. That's Texas. Texas actually is getting the benefit of the doubt more than anybody in these playoff rankings right now.
Speaker 6: And I get it.
Speaker 5: Like to say that I believe as Simeuse better than Texas, I'm not sure I believe that, but I don't know. I mean, if you're only going to base it off of results, even the eye test, I don't know how you mean. Again, you're the committee. Putting Texas at number three is just their belief, and look, they could be wrong. And that's why I think when you hear from the spokesperson Ward Manual, the ad at Michigan, he's the guy that's coming on TV after every updated rankings and trying to justify it, just say this is what we believe. When you try to give specific reasons in facts, it just makes you look more foolish to be honest with.
Speaker 2: You breaking news coming in from Bet three six to five, where every nail biting, overtime win, breakaway, pick six, three point shot, underdog win, buzzer beater, shoot out, walk off, and absolutely every play in between is amazing, from football to basketball and hockey to baseball. Whatever the moment, it's never ordinary. At Bet three sixty five gambling problem Call one eight hundred Gambler twenty one plus only must be physically located in Virginia.
Speaker 8: Black Friday is coming. And for the adults in your life who love the coolest toys, well there's something for them this year too. Bartisian is the premiere craft cocktail maker that automatically makes more than sixty seasonal and class say cocktails each and out of thirty seconds at the push of a button. And right now Bartisian is having a huge sight wide sale. You can get one hundred dollars off any cocktail maker or cocktail maker bundle when you spend four hundred dollars or more so, if the cocktail lover in your life has been good this year or the right kind of bad, get them Bartessian, at the push of a button make bark quality cosmopolitans. Martini's Manhattan's and more, all in just thirty seconds, all for a hundred off. Amazing toys aren't just for kids. Get a hundred off a cocktail maker when you spend four hundred through Cyber Monday, visit Bartsian dot com slash cocktail. That's pa r T s i a n dot com slash cocktail.
Speaker 5: I mean, people will still complain and say you're you're, you're an idiot if they don't agree with it, and you can and you just stand by your opinion. But like people are looking, people are gonna keep bringing this stuff up regardless. But I would mean, you can't justify it other than just saying we just think that they're better, so just say that, or you could just be really honest with us. I mean, you can't do this, but I'd love it if you did, because I appreciate transparency. Just tell us it's Texas and it's SMU here is how that alone is why we decided to put these teams there. I mean, that's not the way they should do it, but like, let's not act like that doesn't exist. Another eight and one team who's number four Penn State ranked win not a one best win six and three Illinois next best win five and four Wisconsin. Their one loss was at home to Ohio State, who's number two. SMU is ten and eleven spots behind those two teams for one reason. It's Southern Methodist University and not Penn State and not Texas. That's the reason. They'll never say it, but we know it, and I don't really know how you fix it, because, like I kind of get it, but SMU dropping the way they did with that resume they have compared to those two teams that are in the top four, it just you can't make any sense of it other than just being honest with us, which nobody. Again, I can appreciate the honesty, but that's not how you should do it.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 5: One is Texas, one is Penn State, two of the bigger brands in college football.
Speaker 6: The other.
Speaker 5: I bet half the committee doesn't even know what SMU stands for. I would hope not. That's a bad attempted humor, but like, maybe it wouldn't shock, Maybe it wouldn't be a crazy thing if maybe somebody on the committee didn't know what SMU actually means for smooth. Yeah, I doubt it, but you know, in fact, I'm surprised nobody's ever run with that, Like that's not like the most clever thing, but like Mustang, just like SMU, there are a lot of like OSU. There's I mean, trust me, we do the like they're not the only school that that like at time, but like nobody ever calls them Southern Methodist, do you know what I mean? Like people always say the Ohio State, like other schools that just use the first letter of of of the you know, three or even two words that like UK, right, But SMU is quite literally by everybody only called SMU, not Southern Methodist because that's a weird. Like when I hear something Methodist, I think they're playing NAI sports and not you know, high level sports.
Speaker 6: Think of it like a church league.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's exactly what I think of it, to be honest with you. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. Wrap up at four o'clock hour. I've not had a great year. Well, let me back up, I did well for two straight weeks when it comes to betting that. I'm actually in a pretty good spot now as far as like how I'm doing for the year. Wrong music, it's not the top of the.
Speaker 6: Hour yet oh well, that time flies. Huh did you? I mean?
Speaker 5: And now I'm actually thinking out loud, do you play that at the end of the hour. If you don't, I don't care. I just didn't know, Okay, just making sure. And again, if you don't want to, you don't have to. But anyways, DraftKings and FanDuel have had to lower their revenue estimates for this quarter because NFL betters have been doing too well lately, which tells me a lot of betters are doing really well this year in the NFL, where I'm doing worse than ever seemingly in the NFL, which is just another reminder that I'm not very good at betting on sports. But you know what, I'm gonna keep doing it because it's a lot of fun.
Speaker 6: It's been bad for me too, dude. NFL is usually where I hang.
Speaker 5: Yeah. No, I remember, of all the things we've talked about when it comes to wagering college football, college basketball, NFL, you've you've been sharper when it comes to NFL. Let's bounce back tonight. We've got a game to bet on. Let's put something together, let's ride, let's do it. Let's do it all right, we'll finish strong here. We got you'll see.
Speaker 4: Coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 5: That's right, Coffee and Company rolling along here as we wrap up the four o'clock hour on a Thursday afternoon. Nick Coffee Austin Montgomery with you. We've got another hour to go, so make sure you stick around. We've got some Thursday night football as well, a pretty good matchup the Commanders at Philadelphia taken on the Eagles. Right now, I'm seeing Eagles minus four. The Eagles have quietly put together a good season. And when I say quietly, it's because like I kind of feel like they've been underwhelming and they've not been as good as people expected. But you know, they are seven and two. However, they've not been great against the spread, meaning there's been They've been a tough team for the books to figure out because like a lot of people probably you know, expected them to be better than they are. This Commander's team. I mean, I don't know if I believe in them as like a legitimate like playoff threat, but you knows, results speak for themselves, and you know, they've played really close with a good Pittsburgh team who's been on fire and lost that by just a point. You know, their wins have not been against really anybody, you know. To be honest with you, I think the most impressive thing in the last five games for the Commanders is that they dominated bad teams other than I guess they did need that hil Mary against the Terrible Bears, but they they played close with the with the Ravens and with the Steelers. But other than that, man, they've just they you know, it's not their fault. All you can do is play who's on your schedule. But their losses are two really good teams. Their wins are against I mean, I guess their biggest win is against Arizona, who in late September I don't think they were the team then that they are now. Arizona's played really well as of late. And the Eagles. I mean, that's funny. I'm looking here, like which wins are good? Like we don't know who the hell is actually good and who isn't in the NFL this late in the year. What would be your initial lean here?
Speaker 9: I would probably have to go I probably have to go with the Eagles. I don't know about that. Spread, though, would you say with six, No, it's four?
Speaker 7: But four?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 4: Is? It?
Speaker 6: Is it in Philadelphia?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's at It's at Philly Link, as they say, home of wrest the way.
Speaker 4: I like.
Speaker 5: I like the Eagles here as well, just because I think they've you know, they've they've they're better, they're more tested in these kind of games, and you know, the Commanders have played some good teams, but they've come short in every one of them. And I'm a believer in Jalen Hurts. You know, I'm not somebody that thinks for you. I'm not somebody who thinks he He's this guy that's, you know, criminally underrated and underappreciated, but like he's pretty consistent, Like he's he's he's not the best really at anything, but he's he's a gamer, he's a leader, he's tough. He shakes off mistakes better than I think a lot of quarterbacks do, which is a tough thing to do when you're a quarterback. So I don't know if I think they're gonna, you know, win the Super Bowl this year. But in this spot, Thursday night football, against another young quarterback who's off to a phenomenal start, to his NFL career, I think the Eagles can cover. If this was a little bit bigger, meaning Eagles minus five or even you know, six, I would probably hesitate. But I don't love the game. But if I'm gonna bet on it, I'm gonna I would take the Eagles as well.
Speaker 9: Usually night games in Philly you kind of like want to lean towards that way, and against a young rookie quarterback who has been dynamic, and dan Quinn has been huge for that team this year and huge for Jayden Daniels development. I kind of thought that it would be like a little bit of a setback. I mean, because I'm sorry the Commanders are haven't been that necessarily great of a franchise, especially developing young quarterbacks. But these young, offensive minded coaches, not like dang Quinn's the youngest, but you know in his coaching career.
Speaker 6: That's helped them a lot.
Speaker 9: And I guess on the Philly side, I just thought they ended their season last year a complete mess. Yeah, and you and those fans, I wouldn't say are flippy floppy, but they'll let you know how how you feel. And I think Sirianni was just their coach is kind of a kind of a kind of a goof ball.
Speaker 5: Well, I forgot all about that. I mean, they were winning, but yet they started off like six and oh but the pr was was was pretty disastrous because they you know, they were beating bad teams barely like when they beat the who was it? The h who did they? They barely beat somebody who wasn't good and they didn't play well and Sirianni started yelling at fans in the crowd, which is just I mean, that's a pretty bad sign for where they are. And I feel like everybody in Philly and again, they're a tough crowd to went over. Man, they booted Sanda. They threw stuff at Sam a clause one time on the field, which is a legendary story when it comes to the NFL. But I feel like everybody hates him meeting his fans. I don't even think the players really like him.
Speaker 6: So I don't like him either. I think I think he's a knucklehead.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and then tonight, as far as if you're looking for action this evening other than the NFL, do we have any good college games here because usually we get some decent college football games. Yeah, So Yeah, well, let's see.
Speaker 6: We have uh Man.
Speaker 5: For some reason, I thought we were getting like power for teams to play on Thursdays this year, and we did earlier. But I guess maybe that's come to an end because the only game I see tonight is a game I have no interest in betting on in that's East Carolina and Tulsa. Now, when it comes to college hoops, we'll get into that in the five o'clock hour, because there are a couple of games uh that are that are pretty pretty appealing when it comes to, you know, making a wager, so including uh, let's see here, Yeah, Chris Max Team's taken on fau Tonite at Home, which I'm surprised their favorites, but that's pretty telling SMU and Butler are in action. So we'll talk about that in the five o'clock hour among a lot of things. We got a lot to get to before we run out of time, So stick with us five o'clock hours. Next right here on Sports Talk seven to ninety.
Speaker 2: Breaking news coming in from bet three sixty five, where every nail biting, overtime win, breakaway, pick six three point shot, underdog win, buzzer beater, shoot out, walk off, and absolutely every play in between is amazing, from football to basketball, and hockey to baseball. Whatever the moment, it's never ordinary. At Bet three sixty five gambling Problem Call one eight hundred Gambler twenty one plus only must be physically located in Virginia