Speaker 1: Good morning, good morning, good morning, and welcome, welcome, welcome. It's time now for our community connection. Right here on K one, the one you trust, and right here in studio we have a doctor Jerome van Kikin and professor. We have got a big event coming up on Tuesday. What we have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, We'll have the Creed We Need, which is a community event about the seventeen hundredth anniversary of the Nicene Creed held at Oklahoma Westley University six thirty pm.
Speaker 1: Now I go to a church, we repeat the Nicene Creed ever we recited every time we have a worship service. But for those who don't know what the creed is, tell us a little bit about just a little bit. I know. We got to come to the event to fight the whole history and everything.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, yeah, So this is the most widely accepted creed across Christian denominations, across history. It binds Christians from all sorts of backgrounds together and started in the three hundreds AD and church council got together to put it together, and since then it's become incredibly influential.
Speaker 1: Now it is one thing that when I resigned, I think of how much there was things pulling each other apart prior to that, and how this came together to unify things. And I can't even imagine the world back then, let alone how people were thinking. But in a way, this is what they say, puts the bow on it and ties it all together. Oklahoma, Wesleyan University, of course, right here in Bartlesville. We've been having some very nice presentations and talks over the past year or so that I've been familiar with, and this is going to be another one. What's the cost to get in? Ah?
Speaker 3: It's free?
Speaker 1: Really? Okay? Well, then you go there, you go, there, you go, get you tickets. Now where are we going to hold this at Lion Hall?
Speaker 3: Yes, it'll be at Line Hall all right.
Speaker 1: Now, tell us a little bit about your background and what you teach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I am Professor Christian Thought at the school, which basically means I teach some Bible survey classes to freshmen. I teach what's called Christian worldview to a lot of our non ministry majors, and then I teach ministry courses as well theology and philosophy.
Speaker 1: You come from a little bit. This kind of runs in the family, doesn't it.
Speaker 3: It does.
Speaker 2: My dad's a pastor in southern Indiana.
Speaker 1: You've been doing it for a little bit, imagine, and you went to Kentucky Bible College.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Kentucky Mountain Bible College.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I forgot the mountain there. But you know, this is really kind of neat. We are talking about Oklahoma Wesleyan University before we came on the air and how this campus is so nicely position right out there in the woods and so to speak. And you've got a real good spirit of community out there from everything that I can tell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we've got a great administration and a lot of collegiality among my fellow professors and then students that we love to pour into.
Speaker 1: You know, something you're welcoming in more. I saw the apartments going up across the street, and that's going to make it a little bit easier for some students to make this their four year destination. And of course, with the creed we still need, We're going to get back to that a little bit here. That's coming up six thirty Tuesday at Oklahoma Wesleyan University. You really don't want to miss this, and you really don't have to be a person of any denomination to attend if you got that curiosity, and especially if you are a Christian and you're saying, what am I missing here? Did I miss something? This is a great way to do some exploration and really learn a few things and kind of get immersed in something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: I just my son just joined the Air Force and part of getting in the training that he has for that, as they have the Airman's Creed that captures the core values of the Air Force. And so if we think about the Nicene Creed, this creed that we're going to be talking about as being like that, it just captures the core values of Christianity.
Speaker 3: And it's good to know it is.
Speaker 1: And you know, once you know that, it stays with you. So you might have been somebody who learned this maybe in Sunday school or vacation Bible school, because not every church recites this every Sunday, Right, So if yours doesn't come on in, the door's open, we're going to learn a few things and we're going to share a few things. There's going to be any Q and A on this, Oh absolutely, I knew it. If you got a professor involved, there will be a Q and A because professors like to answer questions, well most do, most do, and Professor Van Kaik and this is going to be a really pretty cool Is there going to be a panel or you're going to be flying solo?
Speaker 3: It'll just be me.
Speaker 1: Well, there you go. You can't you can't ask for more than that. You know you're gonna fly solo on this one. And it's gonna be a very like I said, very warm, very open, uh surrounding there. If you go to Lion Hall, there's not a bad seat in the house, not a pas seat, and they're all pretty comfortable. So how long is this gonna last? About an hour or so? An hour an hour and this is good. So maybe if you're heading to your Sunday school class or maybe meeting up with some of your church friends this weekend, come as a group. You know, everybody's got the invitation, nobody's gonna nobody's all good. But this is this is something that I think should really be celebrated. It's called the creed. We still need. Are we finding some parts of Christianity kind of getting away from this? I think we see this some splintering taking up, even further splintering taking place, and as a professor of Christian thought. Here, how did that? How does that feel? I mean, you see that it can't sit well with you.
Speaker 3: No, it's really sad.
Speaker 2: I mean because even church's nominations that may not recite the nice and crete every Sunday historically have had the same values, even if they haven't expressed in the same way. But unfortunately, nowadays there are a lot that are kind of drifting away from even those values.
Speaker 1: But there are some forms of proclaimed Christianity that have kind of fallen off the board so much. I don't recognize it. And I don't think I'm being a bad guy for saying it doesn't look the same to me. That's the observation.
Speaker 3: Huh yeah.
Speaker 1: Boy. Well, hopefully with this folks can make individual commitment once they hear about this, or reaffirm, and that's really a good thing to do, is to come in and reaffirm during this.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I have a book that I've written, a little book called The Creed We Need that will also be made available at the end of the of this event.
Speaker 1: Do you have that out there on that Amazon thing?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Amazon?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh, okay, The Creed we Need I have to go procure that with my grandit card here in a little bit.
Speaker 1: This is great and anything that folks need to bring, should they bring anything with them just themselves in an open mind, yeah and an open heart.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I want to thank you for coming in and once again that is the creed we still need. That'll be six thirty Tuesday at Oklahoma Wesleyan University. Admission is free and it'll be a Lion Hall. You can't miss. It's about the first thing you see when you pull in the parking lot. It's huge. Thank you, professor, sir. Folks you've been watching and listening to our community connection