Speaker 1: Well, hopefully that one leaves you feeling a little bit better. At least I would hope it would, because the Jayhawks go to the happiest place on Earth and they absolutely drop one on UCF. They're having fun in Florida, staying in extra night where it's sixty five degrees right now, while at least LANDA and I, who live near the University of Kansas, there's enough snow to like, there's more snow than David Quoit is tall and inches outside on my front porch. Land and I assume like you're in an apartment complex, so you probably don't own a snowshovel. But I have to tell you don't look forward to that part of home ownership. It absolutely sucks. Giant ass.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: I've shoveled snow before, as the son of a father that was deep. I have shoveled some snow in the past.
Speaker 2: I do not own one.
Speaker 3: I need one, because, like you said, there is about a David quoite amount of snow in my parking lot right now, and they quote unquote plowed it.
Speaker 2: By plowed it.
Speaker 3: There was like a truck that came plowed one path and backed out, thus creating very large banks UH behind cars which are not conducive to backing cars out of spots.
Speaker 1: And that will turn into ice overnight, and then it will become next to impossible to you thought shoveling snowballs was fun, then you get a shovel ice balls and snow that will just kind of sit there until the middle half of March when Kansas loses in the NCAA tournament.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can't wait. I absolutely cannot wait for what at this rate is gonna be like Tuesday morning when that happens.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, Well, Cam, you're in Chicago, you're north of us, but receiving snow. You didn't get get any part of this?
Speaker 2: Is it? Is it?
Speaker 1: Sonny and seventy five?
Speaker 2: There? No, It's completely melancholy and depressing. I just have the comforting sounds of gunshots as I go to bed. But in other news, I'm happy that Kansas one today. Florida Badunga is a man. kJ Abdays had a great game which sets the UH Jayhawks back away, and my buddy Jared Goff just threw a pick and I'm not feeling great about that.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, Yeah, Cam is a Lions fan. God bless him, and you are watching the Battle for the NFC North hoping that your fourteen win Lions don't have to go on the road for their playoff run. You are, you're gonna be hanging on pins and needles watching this while we talk about the game that was almost as exciting.
Speaker 2: You could have just stopped that sentence with you might be hanging I don't think it's just the things that our fan base has been through to get this far. And then I'm watching Jared Goff just throw to the other team. It's just not not great. But you know what, maybe just maybe they'll they'll pull it out. Maybe we'll see, you'll find out you already know. You already know by the.
Speaker 1: Time you're listening to this, But we'll see what happens over the course of this. I'm assuming sometime around the ask RCB section will be the final couple minutes. And then by the time we're being so by the time we're previewing a super exciting can Us versus Landon's favorite sleeper Arizona State team, you might just watch Jared Goff win. They did, they did. They're better than Utah. I'll give you that.
Speaker 2: That's one out of sixteen. How bad is Colorado?
Speaker 1: Then very very bad? They're very bad. Colorado is awful, you sef though, UCF just might be the worst basketball team in this conference. Or Kansas there there's yeah, there's only a couple of explanations. But we are here to talk about Kansas dropping a hammer on UCF and getting back in the wind calm. It'll be a fun show. This is inside the Paint on Rock Chalk Blog. I am Ryan Landreth, I'm Landon Fields.
Speaker 2: And I'm Florida. But doing is soon to be agent. Yeah, just a lot more.
Speaker 1: You might want to get on that if you're if you're hoping, because I swear he moved up about fifteen spots on NBA mock drafts boards with that, with one dribble move, yeap, then that I know a eurostep that had us all mouth agape and going oh so much like crossing on the show notes, next year of Flory will be fun. To the next slash last fifteen to twenty games of Floory will be fun. I don't think he's gonna be here very long. Yeah, I don't think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Sadly, I think you're right.
Speaker 3: This is feeling like a Johnny Furfy situation.
Speaker 1: All right, let's blow the airhorn and talk. Oh, okay, Cam, you want to you're already ready to go, go for it.
Speaker 2: No, I was just gonna say, unlike Furfey, I think it won't be a mistake for him to leave for the NBA. Shout out to Furfy, but no, he's probably gonna be gone.
Speaker 1: They could use Johnny Furfey right now. And when I think of when Johnny Furpey's career at Kansas kind of got started, I think about him playing well in that UCF loss from a year ago, which kind of go we go, we come full circle because much like last year, Kansas built a sixteen point lead in the first half against UCF, but this time they didn't totally crap it away. Let's talk all about it. What a score number seven? Kansas ninety nine the UCF. That's not right. Let me try that again. Kansas ninety nine UCF. I'm trying to read it. They scored.
Speaker 2: Points.
Speaker 1: Why won't it Let me say the number of points they scored? What I blow out ninety nine to forty eight, forty eight points in a basketball game?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Brian, even when you're trying to say the score, you had a slightly better shooting percentage than UCF.
Speaker 1: That is true. I think I went one for five, which is twenty percent, and UCF I don't think got to twenty percent on twos. What a colossal disappointment it was for their fans, but overall a really nice game for Kansas. Fresh off and ugly conference opener, Kansas went into Orlando. They kicked all of the ass and took all of the names, leading wire to wire. They built a nineteen point halftime lead, only to then blow it open and win the second at by thirty three. Add those numbers together and you get fifty one points, which is what Kansas did. Actually, those two numbers together are not fifty one points. That would be fifty two. How about a thirty two point second half that would get you to fifty one total points. The end result was an insane ard. It is hard. Also, you know what else is hard is stopping Hunter Dickinson, which we'll talk about. The end result for Kansas wasn't insane, ninety nine to forty eight final score marking the biggest win margin in a road conference game for the Jayhawks in their program history. It is fair to say that revenge was served. Oh wow, let's throw a throwback to last year. You remember Land and you were on the show. You remember that oh darn feeling that we were starting to let creep into our souls when Kansas blew that game in Orlando right around this time last year. Well, do you feel the opposite this year? Are you starting to feel a little uplifting presence? Like hmm, maybe they're starting to figure it out?
Speaker 3: Uh ye, I was impressed with how Kansas played. It would hard to it would be hard to not be impressed with a fifty one point road win. Kansas doesn't even usually win by fifty one points against the absolute scrub teams they play, So a very, very impressive performance, no doubt. I do think a couple things super notable. You see if their weaknesses clearly the interior exactly Kansas's strength, that I think goes a lot. Again, they won by fifty one. I'm not trying to discredit a fifty one point win. I'm just trying to point out a few things here. You seef bad at the sport of basketball. I think I think that's not a good team, mostly because their primary strategies seem to be dribble and pull up and shoot from anywhere on the court, whether regardless of amount of open and that didn't go very well for them, and I think that largely contributed to their very very poor shooting numbers. I liked the speed at which Kansas played with a lot. I liked the intensity they played with a lot. They clearly knew what they wanted to do, and as soon as they realized the way UCF was going to play them defensively, they knew exactly what they wanted to do. And Hunter Dickinson had twenty and seven in the first half, which is unreal. We'll definitely talk about him later, but it was a great performance. It was a great performance, great energy. They looked good, they looked very sharp. But kind of, as we're getting at Cam, your thoughts, what did we actually learn from a team that UCF was so clearly overmatched stylistically the perfect matchup for Kansas in a lot of ways. And Kansas obviously played they played really well. But is there much to take away other than good team, bad team.
Speaker 2: I think there's things you can take away from the game. I will say that honestly, UCF compared to Kansas, I mean they, like you said, they do not match up well with Kansas whatsoever, Kay, you played awesome today. I think they definitely were pissed off. They came out ready to play. But that being said, I mean Kansas scored an egregious amount of points inside the paint. Shoutouts to our podcast. And when you're playing against good teams in the Big Twelve, whether it's Baylor or Iowa State, even Houston whoever, that won't be the case. That being said, seeing players like Ryland Griffin get some good run, even aj Storre despite being buried in the doghouse for the first half, it was good to see and I do think it might be a turning point for this team. That being said, the same issues still are there. It is UCF great, great win on the road, but yeah, I'm not sold that this team is back, but it was definitely a good step in the right direction.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it was great to see Kansas come out with a lot of pride. I know, in the last couple of years they've lost more than they normally have, and it seems like a common complaint on Rock Schok blog. Credit to you two and Nick from last year. None of you guys ever this. But there's been a lot of crap on Twitter about how the team doesn't care, the team doesn't try very hard and all that, and I think performances like this show no, these guys care more than any fan out there. They are prideful, they they're there to win. They worked their butts off all year for the chance to compete in these games, and they clearly responded. Well, it's the sign of a well coached team to come out after getting humbled in the game that you were supposed to win and play really well. They played like a pissed off team. That's what Bill Sell said after the game, and he was right. There was a lot of pride. He said, not only did I think that we played angry, but I think we acted like we were embarrassed last time. And that's good. It's good that they were embarrassed by losing a home game, and clearly they rectified the situation by bouncing back in as well of a way as you can. The whole UCF thing is interesting because you know who really loved this game, Ken Pom. Kansas went up five spots on Ken Palm, and UCF dropped more than fifteen UCF was sixty first whenever the day began, and they're now barely in the top eighty, I think like they fell a lot. So ken palm is normally a pretty good indicator and determining about how good a team is. Sometimes we argue, oh, they have Kansas at six and they should be higher, but overall they're pretty close. Well, UCF was sixty four at the beginning of the day, Missouri is fifty three, Creighton is forty nine. So whenever we get on here and I guess West Virginia who's gone up quite a bit, they're up to thirty six. So before we get on here and talk about how bad UCF is, and yes, that was a terrible game. If these two teams played fifty more times, they probably would not have a single game that was decided by fifty points like this one was. But before we talk about how bad UCF is, they're about ten to fifteen spots worse at the beginning of the day than Missouri now about twenty five thirty spots worse. They're they're a little bit worse than teams that Kansas has lost to already this year. So I don't think it's fair to act like they beat freaking central Eastern Midwestern Washington or something like they beat a power five team by fifty on the road. Clearly got them on their worst day when they had their best. I think what we love learned is that this team does have a lot of pride, and I think that this team did something land and you kind of threw this back at me. I'm curious what you meant by this. I said, after that kind of performance, we can forever put to bed. This year's team is just like last year's team. I don't know what the scores are gonna look like at the end of the year. I don't know what the record or the round of thirty two game. I don't know how that's gonna go. But I do know that last year's team was not capable of bouncing back and beating somebody on the conference on the road by fifty points.
Speaker 3: That is true. I mean, that was evidence just simply by that team being really bad on the road. I don't know that it puts to bed the comparisons or anything. Certainly, this is a better performance, especially on the road, than anything last year's team had.
Speaker 2: I still don't I still have a lot of.
Speaker 3: The concerns even from a really good game. So I don't know. I definitely get where you're coming from, and I think, like, if we're really trying to like split hairs of who is the most correct, I think you are correct that, like on a technical level, that probably does put to bed the very specific comparisons between those teams, But that doesn't This game does not inherently bury my concerns yet. Yes, hey they won a road game. I said on the last show, win a game on the road, and then I'll pick you to win on the road. And hey, they did it, and they did it emphatically. In credit to them, they were the end, they were obviously very good. So from that perspective, yes, I think you're right, but I still hold the concerns. I need to see it play out over time.
Speaker 1: Well, and Cam, I guess what I'm curious about too. You've been You've been hot and cold at times on this team, especially over the last few weeks, which who hasn't been. But yeah, I think what Landon said is right. Like it that does not mean that this team can't ultimately have the same fate that last years does. But I think performances like today show that this team is better than last year's. Last year's team won two road games all year, and they were against two horrendous Oklahoma schools, and both of those games, I guess Oklahoma State they stepped on from the start, but Oklahoma was in doubt for a while. We've been dying to see the team get off to a good start and really pop somebody on the road and have it not really be in question down the stretch, and that's what they did. What side of the coin do you fall onto performances like this show, Okay, this team may not be the best college team we've ever seen, but there's at least potential for them to do things and reach heights that last year's team didn't. Or do you lean more towards the side of this really should just kind of be thrown in the trash to a certain extent, because, k you play their best game, you see have played their worst, and you take the win, put it in your pocket. But the season ultimately isn't going to be measured by how many points you beat Central Florida By.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's a little bit of both. I mean, honestly, the biggest thing that you can take away from this game is that this team has pieces to where if they're used correctly, they can be elite. That being said, we've seen them when they get in bad matchup situations. We've seen them struggle. I think that in terms of the difference between this year and last year, I mean, it flat out comes down to roster construction. Last year we were relying on hoping that Nick Timberlake could save this team, which is a horrifying statement. This year, you have Rylan Griffin on the bench, You have aj Store on the bench. I don't believe they should be on the bench, but they are. You even have a guy like David Koyit. They have pieces that can make it work, and I think that if they all click at the right time, they can make a deep run. That being said, I'm a little hesitant to say that everything is fixed because I think that, again, this was a great matchup for Kansas. UCF isn't a cakewalk. They just beat Texas Tech. But that being said, again it was an awesome matchup for Kansas. Hunter Dickinson had a field day, and overall, I mean, yes, I do think this team is better than last year, but there are so many similarities between the two teams regardless.
Speaker 1: Well, let's look at some of the stats here, because I thought that I think there are a lot of interesting ones, if not just flat out fun ones. It is the biggest road win by points margin in the history of the Big Twelve when it comes to conference games. Never before has a team gone on the road and beaten another team in league play by fifty points. Kansas is the first. It's the most points Kansas has scored in a road conference game in the Bill Self era. It's KU's first conference road win outside of the state of Oklahoma since February twenty twenty three, when they were still the defending national champions, and also for the first time in justice for the twenty fourteen Jayhawks, Bill Self beats Johnny Dawkins.
Speaker 2: Reels self without these bils to myself, Yeah, Johnny, Bill, We're proud of you.
Speaker 3: Take that decade ago Jayhawks that I watched.
Speaker 2: What is time?
Speaker 1: Andrew Wiggins is thirty now? Dude thirty, so said, I don't love it. No, Well, just wait till you see who turns thirty here in a few weeks. It's definitely not somebody on this podcast, I assure you.
Speaker 2: I thought you were gonna say it was kJ Adams because he's been here for twenty five years.
Speaker 1: No, but it is is almost Hunter Nigginson, who they did talk about on the on the broadcast, they were like, he's jumping against somebody who Hunter Digginson was in second grade when UCF center was born, twenty four years old, and he's scored just the that many points in the first half. Cam tell me about the guy who I ironically I did not get very many negative Twitter mentions about him today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's hard. It's hard to get a lot of negative Twitter interactions when he's playing like prime Wilt Chamberlain. He had twenty one first half points, really wasn't needed to do much after that. For about twenty five minutes he was flirting with outscoring UCF by himself. He finished with twenty seven points on twelve for seventeen shooting, plus nine rebounds and three blocks in just twenty three minutes. That is an insane for forty performance and honestly, he wasn't even Kansas's most impressive center, which I think we need to burn the tapes and make sure they don't get in the hands of NBA executives.
Speaker 1: That's a good thing. And Landon, I'll go right to you with the Flori Badunga talk, because I don't know. Hunter was probably their best player. He scored. He scored twenty seven points and could have easy could have easily had forty plus if they had wanted to keep giving it the ball. But I think it was at TJF Sports on Twitter, who is one of the most who who's a pretty prominent Twitter out among the local sports here, and he said, I've never seen a basketball player go from absolutely dominant to almost a liability depending on the matchup like Hunter Dickinson. And it's true, there are games wherever he is a complete disaster, like the first half of the West Virginia game, and then he goes out there and scores twenty one in the first half against Central Florida, and it's hard to believe that it's the same player. But good Hunter Dickinson is really, really, really good, and he had one of those Big twelve Player of the Year caliber games. Here. Now about Kansas's potentially their best center certainly projects to be their best center at the next level, land And tell me about Flori Badonga.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, what a performance from him twelve points, five rebounds, six blocks on a cross court assist in twenty one minutes, going six for eight from the floor, and then the play the season for Kansas to this point, arguably the highlight, real player of the year for them, certainly insane. Locke goes coast to coast point center Flori Badunga, hits a little euro and dunks in the moment where we're all like, oh yeah, oh yeah, this guy's going to the pros. This guy's an NBA player, Like what are we watching? Like that was? That was some psycho stuff, Like that's if if Doak was capable in the open floor.
Speaker 2: Uh kind of thing.
Speaker 3: Unreal, really unreal. Combined, he and Digotson lit up UCF for thirty nine points, fourteen boards, nine blocks in a total of forty four minutes. That is uh post dominance that is playing inside the paint.
Speaker 1: Oh I like it, I need, I need it, like it, I need to dress just a bell like I need. I need. I need a noise that I can push every time somebody says the words inside on the podcast. Maybe we'll just do that, Cam, I'll give it to you for the Floria analysis. But there was He's not I'm not calling him Joel Embiid, but I remember a pinpoint moment in Joel Embiid's freshman season when he hit New Mexico at the Sprint Center with a dream shake move, and that was the moment when we realized, oh, yoh, NBA. You know the squidward pointing meme NBA. That's kind of the same moment I had with Florid. But Doonga's move today, Like, oh, okay, this is probably your only year of him in college.
Speaker 2: Yeah, light bulb moment. He's pretty He's going to be really good. Also, shout out to former president Jimmy Carter. He made it through World War two hawk two, but never saw an Embiid conference finals in the NBA r P Florida Badounga looks unbelieved.
Speaker 3: That's real. That's really more of a joe El Embiid stat than a Jimmy Carter's stat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, Jimmy Carter, Jimmy, he never saw a K state national title.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's so many ways you get broad with that. He never saw a K state national title. He never saw an Embiid conference final. There's a lot.
Speaker 1: How many Lions Super Bowls did he see?
Speaker 3: Cam?
Speaker 1: How many of them?
Speaker 2: Well, okay, so he saw zero, but yeah, sad, sad loss. But he saw something in nineteen fifty seven, which was their last. Uh kind of I'll win. I think that is true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, whenever he was whenever he was right eighty six years old there in the year of Our Lord nineteen fifty seven.
Speaker 2: Dude, can you can you imagine if you get to the point where you're so old when you're like, dude, fifty years ago when I was fifty, I remember I saw talk to a girl Like that's such a crazy statement. Yeah, if fifty years ago I was old.
Speaker 1: If Landon lives to be one hundred years old, then he will be referring to fifty years ago as the year of our Lord twenty fifty, which is saggering land And you gotta make it. You You probably are the only one of the three of us that has a chance of getting yes one.
Speaker 3: So you know there's no that's true. We'll all be so dead by then. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I'm gonna tat to a DNR. I'm gonna tattoo a DNR like do not resuscitate on my chest because I don't think there's any saving me from whatever fate I'm heading towards. But thirty we have to bring him back.
Speaker 1: You make me ten legs sports parlays of all the college basketball conference winners.
Speaker 2: You know what now that we're now that we're just going completely off the rails, I'm just going to give you, guys your random fact of the week. Did you guys know that there was a Great War War the Bird like commerc they lost.
Speaker 3: The Australians lost the EU War.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they lost to the EMUs and the Australians had guns, like they kind of they saw it like, how is that?
Speaker 3: How?
Speaker 2: How is that possible?
Speaker 3: They were an actual army with guns and they lost to a flock of birds, A very large flock of birds admittedly, but nonetheless.
Speaker 1: When was this when.
Speaker 2: Like nineteen thirty two?
Speaker 1: Wow, and they haven't documented. I get you. You cannot try to sneak a look at cam getting up there trying to sneak a fastball past prime berry bonds. When it comes to Australian facts, expert landing fields over here.
Speaker 2: I've got one more in the tank if needed. But yeah, I know it's pretty wild. I just can't imagine, like you bring your finest soldiers out and you're like, dude, we just can't get the birds. Like it's just it's a shot in the faces.
Speaker 1: Are mean ostriches? Which ones are mean?
Speaker 2: I think it's the EMUs, but that the commercial with the that's Doug is pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, the commercial makes them most nice.
Speaker 2: Fine, Yeah, he's fine.
Speaker 1: And are is the one who have like eggs the size of like football is like, they're huge.
Speaker 3: I think both as have very large eggs.
Speaker 1: What's the difference, well, they like what is the difference? Is an ostrich fluffier or how do we know this?
Speaker 3: I think they live in different parts of the world. Yes, African?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Ostrich emu difference. Google says EMUs and ostriches are both flightless birds, however, they have many differences. Ostriches are nine feet tall, EMUs are typically smaller. Ostriches have two toes on each foot. Em Us have three. Ostriches have much have much bigger wings. Yes, Google, AI, isn't that your favorite landing? And ostrich is one of my favorite bigger? You are correct, though, next yep and uh? And also ostriches like uh like uh like big big groups. Hence why why they would have done just as well as the emu's if that.
Speaker 2: Was a war. I just like the idea of an EMU like in tactical gear with like a fifty caliber sniper rifled as.
Speaker 1: Wid well you know who definitely could have used that tactical gear and some sniper rifles. That was UCF today, because holy crap, they were just dreadful. Here are your stats for the UCF may as well have been the uh, the the the Ostriches, or the emu's opponents rather because they got run over here twenty one percent from the floor, fourteen field goals versus fourteen turnovers. As Landon tells you all the time, it's not a week in the Big twelve without somebody having as many turnovers as baskets twenty three percent from three and oh so worse eighteen percent on Tues and their biggest scoring run four four to nothing. That is really hard to do. It is very hard to play a basketball game that goes on for forty minutes and your longest or largest rather scoring run is for nothing.
Speaker 3: That was indicative of the night for ECS and.
Speaker 1: Johnny dak is this lost the Bill self, and I'm glad he's sad because I was sad as an eighteen year old when his Stanford team that didn't make a single three ended the career of Andrew Wiggins one week before. I swear Joel's coming back on Wednesday if they just make the next round, guys, I promise.
Speaker 3: I thought he was coming back to school.
Speaker 2: Conter Freeing, Yeah, I forgot about that.
Speaker 3: He was.
Speaker 1: He really wanted to and he did say, by the way, and I have a couple of k books for fans. He did, as oh, man, I wish I had that on the board. I would so push it.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Joela Beid has gone on record and said that he wanted to come back to Kansas and his his family and Bill self would not let him. They basically he said, I'm Joelle Embiid said as a nineteen year old kid. He was in tears and and just completely completely Uh what's the word. Whenever you're you are you are really distrut yes, thank you good lord, really distraught and said I am not leaving Kansas and his family and Bill self said yes you are. And eventually he got over it, and now he's very rich and kind of fat and, as camp said, Eastern Conference final less yeah, letting down.
Speaker 2: Specifically speak Carter. Yeah, alright.
Speaker 1: Was Jimmy Carter a sports guy? He's from Georgia. Was he a Falcons fan?
Speaker 3: He was not a not a not a Sixers fan.
Speaker 1: Let's see Jimmy Carter favorite sports teams. A lifelong fan of the Atlanta Braves. Well, they've only lost about three hundred playoff games in his lifetime. Then I feel like they're always losing playoff series. He was in attendance when Hank Aaron broke Babe Roots major League Baseball home run record in nineteen seventy four, when Jimmy Carter was what else but fifty years old halfway through his life.
Speaker 2: Excess, That's what I'm saying, dude, there you go, Campin. It's a point where I'm like, fifty years ago, fifty years ago, I watched Bill soft coaches last game, and then Kansas is getting obliterated by like UCF and twenty eighty four. Just shoot me.
Speaker 1: Hey, you know what, I even have the tools on this show, but I may not have to do it because you live in Chicago where reigns Supreme and somebody else do the job.
Speaker 2: Do that anytime, all right, I'll just say a couple of words.
Speaker 1: You'll be fine, Land and tell me about Well your favorite their group together forever, we'll call him the Nothing brothers, Ryland Griffin and Aj Store.
Speaker 3: Well, one was good. One played garbage time. Ryland Griffin actually finished with k's second leading score, going four for four from three for fourteen points in eighteen minutes. Really nice, really nice for Roland Griffin. AJ Storr did have good numbers two for you fair He was good. Granted most of it did come in garbage time because he didn't get on the floor ntil there were six minutes left in the first half. By then it was already garbage time. He did finish with eleven and five in just fifteen minutes. Bill self said after the last game he saw quote, nothing from those guys. He did not say that this time. Cam, What did you see from Griffin and Store?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean it was really nice to see Rolan Griffin playing again. Part of those two I think had excuse me. I had to do with the fact the game was so high tempo. It was nice see Rollan Griffin. It looked like he was comfortable out there. It's good to see the wall go through the hoop for aj Storre he I didn't think he was gonna play whatsoever. I think that Bill self banished him to Siberia and then decided to fly him back into the game, which was great. I'm curious for you guys thoughts on aj Store Do you think that this is an indicative of anything for him, like going forward? Or is this more or less just garbage time points?
Speaker 1: Then thinks he's worse than Mitch Lightfoot, so I can answer that is insanity on behalf of the.
Speaker 3: Way that that might be an opinion that I think could be true. But I didn't say that.
Speaker 2: Oh no, Mitch Lightfoot scored like forty four points in Japan in Japan, like wow, I saw that.
Speaker 1: I did see that. Yeah, Cam sent us a thing in the in the group chat, and I was too startled to even know what to say. Mitch Lightfoot hung forty on the Japanese over there, which is not a sentence I ever thought I would say, much like I didn't think i'd say Jimmy Carter has never seen uh never seen Joe Lewis play in the Eastern Conference finals. Yeah, my thoughts on a My thoughts is that Rylan Griffin has been good most at many points of this year and should play more. He needs to be getting starterworthy minutes. He should definitely be the top six or seven guys that get minutes. And AJ Store is a wild card. I don't think Kansas can do a whole lot without aj Store being at least decent ten points a game. But also, like he's he might just be a bonus it him if you can get your if you can get quite a quality level going without him Land and you still have no confidence in AJ Store, I'm sure, but I mean you'll take anything you can get. And if you still think this team can be solid without him, then whenever he gives you double digit points, you think that probably is gonna be a win.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one hundred percent. I mean I never said its age Store is talentless by any stretch. I'm not gonna take eleven and five against UCF in a game they won by fifty as a rousing endorsement that he is back. I hope it gets him going, and the team would one million percent be way way better if he is. But we'll see, we'll see. I'll need to see a more complete performance, I think in a better game. Rylan Griffin fully agree. I think he needs to be out there a lot. I think he needs to play more. I think similarly to some of these guys, you see the NBA level potential. Not saying he's gonna be like an instant NBA guy, but like it's there. You can see it going four for four really nice. He's athletic, he can shoot like he is a guy I think that can very easily raise your ceiling. Maybe he's not going to shoot the like forty two percent we thought he was going to. That's okay if he even shoots an ok percentage, but gives you a legitimate guy that can stand on the perimeter and actually be a threat from there for the defense. Unlike a couple guys on this team. That's a huge step in the right direction. He is guy that can give you that.
Speaker 1: kJ Adams bounced back from a horrendous West Virginia game with a quality performance here. He was active from the jump log seven points and nine rebounds plus three assists and two very athletic blocks in twenty four minutes. Would surprise you if I told you that he led all Jayhawks in minutes because he did. He was three for six from the floor. Is this is this a Kansas wins in spite of kJ game? I don't think it is. I don't think any of us believe that he doesn't have any value, and this game, Hi self was able to switch around rotations enough where it didn't feel like we were just just being served an endless portion of kJ. We've said that he has value on this team, and he does present a skill set that is unique. Whenever he's not asked to be a primary scoring option and Kansas is actually getting some stuff from other pieces like Griffin and Store, then I think Kj's value is maximized. I thought he played well. He clearly was was dying to get back on the court and have a performance after having probably the worst one of his career. And I thought he played well. Good for him?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought he played pretty well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good for kJ. He needed that.
Speaker 1: Did it hurt Kansas? Did it actually hurt? At this point? This is a this is a Galaxy brain take. I don't believe this is the case. But should Kansas fans be rooting for kJ? Should just be awful to the point where Self then stops the fact that it's not. No is a lot.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's such dangerous.
Speaker 3: I do think you saw a little bit of self adjusting a little in this game. I think it's tell that like Zeke Mayo played primary point guard most of the night, a lot of the night.
Speaker 2: Ye that's yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: This game was played at three o'clock Central Time on a Sunday, that night game.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying, it's basically night.
Speaker 1: I just okay, we keep going on the kJ train, go for it.
Speaker 2: No, I'm just gonna say, no, we don't want to see kJ Adams fail, but we want to see him play spectacularly mediocre to the point where it makes Bill think maybe there's a chance this isn't working well, and that politician, I don't think.
Speaker 3: And as we have said repeatedly, or at least something to the effect repeatedly, that I do think this team is best if kJ Adams is playing a reserve role. Yes, I think that true.
Speaker 1: And he played the most better game. So someone checks out, Yeah, I don't think that's happening.
Speaker 2: For at least everyone to shelters.
Speaker 1: But they did make a starting lineup change, and that was Shack Moore getting the start leaving us all scratching our heads. I think that he wound up getting the start because UCF relies a lot on three pointers and they didn't make very many of them in this game. But clearly self believe is that Shack Moore is a very good defensive perimeter defender, and I guess defensive perimeter defender is kind of redundant. They're a good, a quality perimeter defender. How about that?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 1: Oh wow, we just went right for it.
Speaker 2: Damn it.
Speaker 1: That's okay, that's funny. I'll tell you get one of many many candidates Jimmy Carter saw lose in his presidential lifetime, including Joel Embiid. He lost a lot of Eastern Conference semi finals. So shackmore six points and six assists in twenty minutes. He shot two threes, he made them both. That's great. Zeke Mayo added six points and eight assists plus five rebounds and twenty four minutes. Landon mentioned he got a lot of the primary point guard minutes. He made just three baskets an zero four from three, but he played the point guard position extremely well. He basically made a ton of effort just throwing injury pass after entry passed to a big guy of his choosing that then got a lay up or in Flora's case of dunk and Hunter's case of layup. I thought they all played pretty well. It was interesting to see, uh, to see Zeke Mayo get primary point guard, but itself had three point guards out there quite a bit. That's edjust thing. I don't know if it's what people are dying or clamoring to see, but it is something I liked it.
Speaker 3: I liked the switch up. I mean it's a little bit like semantic seed because Harris was still out there, even though you kind of have to because he is still pretty decent. Still baffling that UCF just watched Kansas get completely shut down by a very specific kind of defense and just refused.
Speaker 2: To play that.
Speaker 3: But then less, I thought Shackmore looked pretty good. He played a solid game. Zeke Mayo was Zeke Mayo. Even if it was only for six points, he still played really well. I think there's a ton of analyze there. But do we think Moore is gonna have a really expanded role on the team.
Speaker 1: We did at the start of the year, we thought he was going to be the backup point guard because we thought Zeke Maya would play off the ball, and certainly none of us saw these confusing rotation changes at that point. David koit wasn't on the roster either. Yeah, I think that it's you know, we wondered if he would be redshirting a couple of weeks ago, but he's a quality defender in Kansas is going to be I think if they're going to be good, they're going to be a team that has a lot more emphasis on defensive identity. I know that's not our favorite on the show, but I think that's Bill Sell's favorite, and we'll see. Do you think Shaq Moore is starting because Bill self thinks Shack Moore is a top five option to start, or do you think Shack Moore is starting because Self is trying to fire up somebody else.
Speaker 2: That's a great question.
Speaker 3: I think Shackmore started this game because Bill self watched the last few games and felt very comfortable taking people out. I don't know if it was necessarily for something super super specific as far as like making people angry or or making a point, but I think no one in that spot had inspired him certainly, and I think he was very comfortable putting people on the bench.
Speaker 1: That's eight different guys that have started for Kansas now this year. Right, you got the four that have started every game, and then you have Griffin, Store, Quoit and Shack. Those guys have all rotated for that fifth spot. So they're clearly pushing a lot of buttons. Can't wait to see Zach Clements eventually start a game at some point other players. Dawan Harris had eleven six and two and twenty three minutes. The six was the rebounds, not assist.
Speaker 2: By the way.
Speaker 1: He took thirteen shots and made five of them. Not always the best strategy to have him be second on the team in shots, but in a game they won by fifty, we're not going to complain about it. Dylan will Hite got a bucket late, sneaking the walk Ons closer to the over on the prop. David Quite was one for eight from the floor. I refuse to call him Digey. I don't care how many times that that idiot Brian Hainey says that I'm not doing it. He was one for eight from the floor, but the make was worth three points and Ricky's Pasmore got some Cardio missed a dunk and whatnot at the end, yay, that's everything else.
Speaker 3: Should we just do final numbers? Final numbers time?
Speaker 1: Any we don't normally. This is where I'd ask you for your closing thoughts or your takeaways, but I'm not sure you can really have much. They played by fifty are They won by fifty so they obviously played well and their opponent did not exactly.
Speaker 3: That's pretty much what I was gonna say. Kansas real good against UCF. I think it remains to be seen if that will continue. I like we were saying earlier with Hunter Dickinson, I think we brushed by it. We've said it before, so it's not a huge deal. But I think Hunter Dickinson specifically and potentially Kansas very very matchup dependent. This was a great match up for them, and they rolled. If and when they are posed with different matchups. I still think it remains to be seen. But beating anyone by fifty plus is extraly impressive.
Speaker 1: Imagine being told before last season started that in Kansas's first two trips to Orlando they would be plus forty six, and the aggregate you'd be like, yeah, that's about right. Two wins by twenty points, right, that's what you said.
Speaker 2: Be like, Yeah, they definitely weren't up by a lot in one of those games and then got pooped down in the face, and then the other game just pooped down the face of the other team.
Speaker 1: And as as we all talked about in the group chat, they led by the exact same score. They led thirty five to nineteen through sixteen minutes, which is the exact score it was last year when UCF cut it to eight at half and then we know what happened the rest of the way. Not so much today, cam any closing thoughts, Kansas gets a road win. It's their first one since last February, and it's got to feel pretty good to see him semb one and one whenever zero to two was on the was on the possibilities list.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would just like to point out that lane and pick Kansas to lose this game.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that good thing.
Speaker 2: You brought that up. Yeah, oh yeah, to make sure that was talking about and that was honestly, like, in the scope of things, I understand why Landon picked that, but no.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, no no no, cam Yea, you went too far. You can't understand that. There was no no reason whatsoever, Why should have been picked to lose against the freaking UCF. No, that was that wasn't Landed.
Speaker 2: For a second, I'm not afraid to admit it.
Speaker 1: Landon also, Cam is more hot and cold. Landon is supposed to be the sturdy, consistent presence here.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: And and Landon has in the past pick Kansas to win games he thinks or lose games that he thinks they're going to win, simply because to prove a point, Landon, you actually did you actually gun your head? Would you have chosen UCF to win this game?
Speaker 2: Mostly?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Quite In all honesty, I I did mostly think that there was a little bit of this I'm selling the farm show, so I'm gonna just pick them to lose as well. But like mostly yeah, I definitely lean toward I thought this would at least be a real game, and I then strong.
Speaker 1: I write detailed enough game previews where I said Hunter Dickinson should have his way inside. That goes to show that maybe you'll put in some stock into that.
Speaker 2: Whenever you sound so pop isaac'sy, whenever you.
Speaker 1: Make giant bets on UCF to beat Kansas, that you're now having to pick up some shifts to work off right, like, how much? How many? How many figures did you lose betting this game.
Speaker 2: I actually picked Kansas, believe it or not, you always pick Kansas.
Speaker 1: They could play the Harlem Globetrotters and you'd lay some bucks on the Jayhawks.
Speaker 2: No, they could play the Washington Generals, and I convinced myself that the Generals were due.
Speaker 1: Well, something that I try to convince you out of was picking the result and the other Big twelve team that resides in Kansas, So let's go ahead and blow the air on me. We talk about them, because I told you they were not gonna win in Fort Worth Big Twelve games. You know, if there's something that got me through my weekend, it was that I knew at the end of it that I would get to talk about these seven other Big twelve basketball games. They are so exciting and so full of joy. Well maybe they would be if I was a fan of the Cyclones. Number three Iowa State seventy four, Number twenty five Baylor fifty five. Not even close. The Cyclones continue to rip through their opponents, both keishn Gilbert and eternal Kansas pain in the ass Milan Mamsilievich had double doubles. I was watching this game. It's the first Iowa State game I've watched and I've had on the TV this year, and I saw Milan Mamsilyevich pop up, and I thought, Oh, my gosh, how is he still in college? He looks like a giant bird. He looks like a bird in one of the Ice Age movies. And he's still there soon to make threes against the Jayhawks because he made them against Baylor, who didn't even get to thirty percent from the flor Are the Bears fraudulent.
Speaker 3: And they're certainly not what we thought?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think they still.
Speaker 1: I think they're pretty fraudile.
Speaker 3: I think they still graded out as arguably a top half of the league team because this league might suck, but they're not an actual contender.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, they're not very good.
Speaker 1: They are twenty second. They're twenty second. And Ken Palm which has Houston at three, Iowa State at five, Kansas at eight, surprising Texas Tech they have at fourteen and then Baylor at twenty two, so they have Baylor as a top five Big twelve team, But Baylor has played five teams this year with a pulse, and they have lost four of them, most of which have been an insane blowout fashion. They got absolutely smashed by Gonzaga, they got absolutely smashed by Tennessee. They weren't really that competitive at Yukon against a shorthanded Huskies team. They did beat Arkansas and then they lost Iowa State by almost twenty like certainly not what you're looking and for. Usually Scott Drew teams are a little better than this. Uh, but you know, they'll probably still be b YU because b YU is bad. Number fourteen Houston eighty six b YU fifty five Landon b YU is not nearly as good as last year. But oh, I'm sure that trip to Pro Bow will go well for the Jayhawks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm I'm with you there, Ryan, I think that's gonna go Uh well, you know, we'll see, we'll see. But knowing how Kansas usually handles games like that, it's gonna go bad. Uh, It's gonna be really bad against Houston because Emmanuel Sharp is good.
Speaker 1: He's four points for the Red Cougars.
Speaker 3: The Blue Cougars only made eight threes in this game, so it's never actually that interesting BYU's threes. However, very interestingly were made by players named Richie Cannon with a K, Dallen Mihailo, and Trevin Ah Dallen.
Speaker 2: That's the one.
Speaker 1: Every player on that team could be named Dallan. That's the moment.
Speaker 2: Every player on the team is related to each other.
Speaker 3: Also could be true.
Speaker 1: They also all have twenty They also have three kids. Like there was a player last year for BYU I cannot remember his name that was married and had three children.
Speaker 2: And yes, this was the Stieldhouse.
Speaker 1: No, he was the one. He was the one non non super pasty white dude that they had last year. I forgot about him.
Speaker 2: He was pretty good.
Speaker 1: He was the guy that HUNTERD. Dickinson tried to spar right before they went nuclear on Kansas. Arizona seventy two, number sixteen, Cincinnati sixty seven. I told you, guys, Arizona was gonna win this game. Cincinnati's kind of a fraud.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't listen to you whatsoever. I actually took Cincinnati and I texted my buddies, Hey, if you want to watch Cincinnati at home. They bounced back. They did not bounce back. Sitting atop the fraud power rankings is Cincinnati, who dropped a zero to two and league play and trailed wire to wire In this game, Jaden Bradley had fifteen points for Arizona and nobody's surprised. Caleb Bloff did suck giant ass, going three for fifteen, but he did have a nice zero assist to make up for it. Well done, sir, well done.
Speaker 1: Why is sucking ass a bad thing? That doesn't sound like like?
Speaker 2: Okay, I think in what context? Yeah, let's break this down, guys. Let's think about it.
Speaker 1: So you sound like you sound like you know what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't have a clue.
Speaker 3: I just there would be multiple reasons white could be good and multiple reasons white could be bad.
Speaker 1: I know enough to know that, right. I'm not saying it always is good. I'm just saying like it does. I mean, it's not like sucking eggs, which I don't think anybody wants the sucking.
Speaker 2: Egg Logistically, you know, if you're thinking spatially and you're not thinking of like a certain part of said ass, like, it doesn't make a lot of sense, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Gonna let camp cook sometimes you gotta.
Speaker 2: This is the part of the game where Bill's like, oh look, Bill's like, Remy Martin's shooting five for five. Let's take them off the floor. And then it's me just talking about bots. Welcome inside the paint.
Speaker 1: That's what we do best here. It's yeah, but Caleb Love yes, for context of the word, he does suck ass Westbridge, speaking of ass, speaking of sucking all of the ass. How about the team in Stillwater, West Virginia sixty nine. Oh nice, there it is Oklahoma State fifty. This game was forty six to nineteen a halftime as Kansas quality loss calling it now, West Virginia ran away with their home conference opener. You are they're a thought to be ranked, sir. Let's we might be the worst team in college basketball West Virginia and they don't have their best player.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they beat an Oklahoma State team that barely might make the CBI or whatever that tournament is after college basketball season.
Speaker 1: Javon Small got twenty four more points for West Virginia. I don't believe any of them came after atrocious over and back calls were given to the Mountaineers in this game, like like earlier in the week. But a nice performance for what Virginia They have a big test with Arizona coming up at home this week. If they win that one, and they'll probably be ranked. Both of those teams probably should be. I think it's time to start talking about West Virginia as an at large tournament team. I know Oklahoma State isn't going to impress anybody, but West Virginia has wins at Kansas, they have wins over Gonzaga, they have a win over Arizona, and now they're too and zero conference play. They've been better that this is their best team. That they have not been ranked since twenty twenty two. This is their best team since Bob Huggins was there.
Speaker 3: I definitely agree, agree.
Speaker 1: I agree with that TCU sixty three Kansas State sixty two. Not sure whether to push EMA or because oh my gosh, Cam, why did you bet United States currency on the Kansas State wildcafy to win a road conference.
Speaker 2: Game allegedly as always crazy faith to go over and I just I really thought they would doe. Also, I do think that their roster construction isn't that bad, but I do think Jerome Tang is not a good coach, so it all balances out in the end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, lost yeah, Landon, they had a they were in a really good position. I had this game on because what else was there to do as it was icing outside than to find whatever the hell My login for the CBS Sports Network was so I could watch this game, and I had it on. In Kansas State, Doug McDaniel played well and they were in complete control for thirty seven minutes. But unfortunately for them, basketball games are not thirty seven minutes, they're forty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true. The Wildcats had the sixty two to fifty six lead with three minutes. TCU not the team to go on a seven zero run, right, you'd be wrong. They did as k State four is that game. No Reynolds had to go ahead basket in the final ten seconds. Let the horde frogs with eighteen drum saying he might suck I fear he might ass he sucked balls? Is what the notes say? Is that also bad? Why or why not? Would it be bad? In what context would it be worse?
Speaker 1: Or what's your persuasion see that one would? That depends on who greatly and.
Speaker 2: Correct?
Speaker 1: Yeah, personally yes, correct, But some people may like that.
Speaker 2: We're not judgmental here on I T P.
Speaker 1: Or yeah, absolutely not do what you want. But whenever it comes to sucking, that's a little bit more gender diverse. I think I.
Speaker 2: Do that, right, Cam, Yes, I think you're correct. You you you you preface that well if if it's Lizzo in any context, no, that's punishment by oh my god.
Speaker 1: That there has never been a more applicable push of.
Speaker 3: I hope no man I have ever known, or ever will know, or ever currently knows, will ever listen to this episode of this show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if my boss is listening, I hope you know that I care about my job.
Speaker 1: Another game Office, Oh okay, I just watched last night because what is there? What else is there to do during an ice storm? Then watch the Office super Fan episodes. We're watching the episode where their Jim is trying to distract Robert California from noticing that Dwight's doomsday device goes off with that email to his phone, and he just spikes robert cellphone really hard. That is landing to all of his family members pulling up the app store to download this episode of the indie podcast just right out of here.
Speaker 2: You know, the saddest part about all of this is that my father listens to the show. So Dad, I'm sorry and I'm a colossal disappointment.
Speaker 1: Oh I know this is a very yeah, yeah, this is a very sad sad love. Yeah, like Colorado, they have a lot of them for Colorado. Arizona State eighty one, Colorado sixty one. Who cares, Landon. It was a good night for your surprise team. That's my only note from this game.
Speaker 3: Probably one of their only good nights of the year, to be honest, not very surprising.
Speaker 1: Texas Tech ninety three, Utah sixty three. Cam I'll let you talk all about the Utes. I don't think they're gonna win a Big twelve game. They probably will, but I certainly won't pick him to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in a state that has a population probably somewhere in the millions of people, I'm not caring enough to look. None of them care about Utah basketball. They're the worst Big twelve team to ever exist. They are actual buns. Shout out to Darien Williams, who scored nineteen for the Red Raiders. He's been in college for approximately four hundred years. He also witnessed the resurrection of Christ, and he also watched multiple miracles happen back in Jerusalem. Utah has a white guy with thorhair named Gabe Madsen. He went over six shooting threes. He'll go six for twenty four at Kansas and then he'll probably make a backbreaking banked late shot clock three to be Kansas on the road at Utah.
Speaker 1: For the population of Jujah, the population of Ujah is three point four million, which is about thirty five percent of the population of the Chicago metro area. Three Utah's one Chicago. They are thirty in population and I cannot believe I would have lost money. Had you told me to pick a number. How many states are more populated than Utah, I would have said a lot, fewer than nineteen.
Speaker 2: I definitely would have said the name.
Speaker 1: They're very, very low in population density. But something else I would not have predicted. Utah is eleventh out of fifty states in median household income. A lot of bee keepers out there. I guess what what what jobs are in Utah.
Speaker 3: Mormon's going to be a several universities.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not very many good basketball teams.
Speaker 2: Currently, there's a lot of openings on the Utah Jazz.
Speaker 1: There you go, that's at least a few job openings. I can think of. They have the best ratio of NBA players to other people living in their state if I had to guess.
Speaker 3: Also, cam check the score of the Lions game is this is a throwback to like twenty nineteen era. Itp ride just breaking with random football knowledge. The Lion's rolling.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 3: Jamior Gibbs fourteen night, big time, big time stuff.
Speaker 2: I wish absolutely, Oh, I'm so happy. I wish that I had the foresight to put like five dollars on jamieer Gibbs four plus touchdowns, because that would be so I would be in a much better financial position right now than I am. But I'm still happy.
Speaker 1: The Lions look like they're gonna get the one seed. Absolutely nothing can stop them from getting to the super Bowl, especially not Saquon Barkley, right right, nothing, nothing at all, not that right.
Speaker 2: Just that in a mobile quarterball.
Speaker 1: Well again, nothing the Eagles have right right.
Speaker 2: It was the NFCC huge game to the Eagles. All this be so sad.
Speaker 1: At least it won't be the forty nine ers. I'm pretty sure on that one, not this time. Big twelve standings Number one, Houston, Iowa, State, West Virginia, and Arizona. They are the only four to make it through the first week of play unscathed.
Speaker 3: They're two to zero, tied for fifth, k State KU B YU, Baylor, UCF, Arizona State, Texas Tech TCU one in one.
Speaker 2: Bringing up the rear, tied for thirteenth. Cal Oh, Colorado, I just said, cal So, I was watching Monopoly commercial on my It's not.
Speaker 3: The most outlandish thing. It could happen one.
Speaker 2: Day, we know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, just give the Lord your mark some more time.
Speaker 2: Utah, since Oklahoma State both all of them are zero and two.
Speaker 1: Camp said, bringing up the rear, synonymous with which again some people, depending on who you are, may or may not preferred to suck said. Oh boy, sorry to all of Landon's feature potential employers, friends, all of those things that may be listening. Fifty six and a half minutes into this episode of the Inside the Paint Podcast Other Games, and fifty six minutes is far too late in the show to just now be entering this segment. College basketball is down to one undefeated team, and that would be the number one Tennessee volunteers. Rick Barnes's squad is now fourteen to er after demolishing John Calla Perry's number twenty three rank Arkansas Razorbacks seventy six to fifty two in Knoxville, using what they do good defense to win their Big twelve. SE's are Big twelve to win their SEC opener. SEC is loaded, and Tennessee sits at the top of the rankings right now, falling.
Speaker 3: From the ranks of the unbeaten. We're number six Florida, who lost a beautiful one hundred and six one hundred game at RUPP to number ten Kentucky for their first loss, and the much much more fraudulent number twelve Oklahoma Sooners who were stampeded in Tuscaluso by number five Alabama one oh seven seventy nine shades of Trey Young coming into Allen Fieldhouse. Tennessee, Florida, Kentucky, Alabama, and number two Auburn, who smashed from a zoo in their own SEC opener, appeared to be the top five teams in college basketball's best conference of the SEC is beyond stacked, And yeah, the top of that league is absolutely nutty.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to find an alarm like thened red alert noise. Oh maybe that maybe that's maybe that's the fraud horn, and it is going off for you, Porter Moser, because you, speaking of all the different things we talked about earlier, you suck all of the things. He is horrendous. And Oklahoma shouldn't be an NCAA tournament team. They probably will be because they're gonna pump up the SEC horn, but they are awful.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I can see them kind of falling off and going to like twenty two and nine or something like that, and then getting in the sixt seed.
Speaker 1: They'd put them in the tournament and they'd lose to the ten or eleven seed. They'd play. We've seen it before with Porter, who has zero career wins over Bill self.
Speaker 2: Yeah, speaking of not amazing teams, not to included in the best SEC teams conversation is Texas, who got smashed by number thirteen Texas A and M eighty to sixty. I believe this game was tied at halftime. Actually, who would you guys rather have leading your program, Rodney Terry, Porter Moser or a blind mouse.
Speaker 1: That's me leaping to my death, Because I'd rather have none of those three. If that's my choice, I guess I would say Porter Moser because I've actually seen the man win in the NCAA tournament, albeit with a lot of buzzer beaters. I don't know, and I think I might take my chance with a mouse.
Speaker 3: Can I attempt to ran a two E situation with a mouse and blind mouse on top of Porter Moser's head?
Speaker 1: I mean that sounds better than Rodney Terry not going anywhere, and we all knew he wasn't taking Texas to any new heights. Number four Duke has nothing but green grass and high tides in front of them in their pursuit of an ACC crown, which is pretty worthless as they roll through SMU eighty nine sixty two in Dallas. So much for that being close. The Blue Devils, who are the ACC's only ranked squad, feels like we say that every two years. They are four to zero in the league. They are a top with Clemson and Pittsburgh in a tie with undefeated Atlantic Coast Conference teams. The most exciting win of the weekend in that league probably he goes to North Carolina, who trailed Notre Dame by three entering their final possession before Elliott Cadill got a four point play that is a three a foul and a free throw. But before you get too excited, the Tar Hills lost to Louisville this week and still appear to be quite bad. They're nine to six. Good job, Hubert, looks like we're gonna do that. Is North Carolina really gonna miss the tournament? Thing every other year with Hubert?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't wait for him to uh, well, you know what, you know what, Honestly, I hope they keep him there. I think it's entertaining good for Hubert.
Speaker 3: I love how confused Ryan is by who's in the Big Ten, even though it's not really that hard. It's just who was in the Big Ten last year plus USC. He's just completely that's stupid.
Speaker 1: Which those teams aren't anywhere near the other Big ten teams. How is USC Rutgers a Big Ten game?
Speaker 2: Ryan?
Speaker 3: Do you know what conference Stanford gheographical importance?
Speaker 1: Stanford's in the ACC, now, aren't they? I know that because they played Duke and I learned that a week ago.
Speaker 3: That's a matchup that just works right, like Stanford Duke.
Speaker 1: That makes way too much sense anyway, A bunch of non Nebraskas. Nebraska took the number fifteen UCLA by eight and number twenty two Illinois held on after blowing elite lead to conference faux Washington Ryan.
Speaker 3: Take notes. Top of the league are the two Michigan schools, Tom Izzos andber eighteen Spartans have won seven straight camis shaking after beating Ohio State in Columbus, and the Wolverines beat usc A conference foe Ryan to Todd Michigan State at three and oh.
Speaker 2: Oh Tom, Yeah, the Big East almost got really interesting with prominence race now to a fourteen point lead on number eleven Yukon, but Daniel Hurley squad rallied to barely win and gets a four and zero league play. They're tied with number eight Marquette at the top of the league, who overwhelmed Creighton this weekend. Also a DePaul update, they are nine and six, which is better than three and twenty nine last year by my map of six games. They are also zero to four in league play, and they just lost to Villanova and insert missus puff Oh Neptune Kyle Neptune by forty four points. Their four league losses are by a combined ninety five points.
Speaker 3: Are the UF of the Big East.
Speaker 1: Bishop's psychamore, Hey don't you dare talk bad about my man Johnny Dawkins like that, sir. He deserves a lot better than being compared to freaking to Paul who. I still think Cam should go walk on for It would.
Speaker 2: Be a hilarious reality show. I would need like a picket fence set of a screen every time, just get a shout off. But we might win zero games?
Speaker 1: Does anybody care that number? Nineteen Gonzaga is three to zero inc play and the victories? Okay, yeah, didn't think so. What about their win over Pepperdine? Anybody anybody at all?
Speaker 2: No? No, if you're beating schools named after spices, you should just quit.
Speaker 1: And oceans, don't forget about Pacific and how they're named after an ocean. I wrote something not very nice about Mark Few, which is interesting because he is undefeated against Bill self.
Speaker 2: Dam Bill.
Speaker 1: But you know, you can't win them all. In my case, most of the time, being a Kansas basketball fan, I get a lot of wins except for the one team that I talk endless crap about being fraudulent, and that team always beats my favorite team.
Speaker 3: This was the other one being Houston.
Speaker 1: Yeah it was. You don't win them all, but you know, what Michael Scott. As Michael Scott said, you'll miss one hundred percent of the shots. You don't take ranked teams to lose. Since the last time we did a podcast. Number six, Florida lost to Kentucky. I almost said they went on the other side of state lines. But not only does Florida not touch Kentucky, Florida and Kentucky are not even two states apart. They are three.
Speaker 3: Number twelve Oklahoma should not have been ranked this high, and they certainly won't be after this. They got crushed my alibamion.
Speaker 2: Number fifteen Ucla, just like their head coach. Came up a little bit short at Nebraska.
Speaker 3: It's good stuff, Cam Caim.
Speaker 2: That's lap so good.
Speaker 3: That's quality contam. That's a high percentage shot.
Speaker 2: That's a j Adam's funny.
Speaker 1: It's so high percentage that if you were UCF you would have missed it today. Number sixteen Cincinnati. Oh and two, now they lost to Arizona.
Speaker 3: They came up just a little short, just like their former head coach.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 3: Number twenty three Arkansas couldn't pay their way to a win against Tennessee.
Speaker 1: Oh, well like that.
Speaker 2: That's pretty solid. Number twenty five b.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, no, no, no, avoid no no no, it's just Bayling, it's just barely.
Speaker 1: Don't last week in pick them Landing with a very twenty twenty three Chiefs. But no, he's not about to go on a run and win at all nine and six and pick him a very very twenty four to Paul if you will, Oh, I thought you were going to say a very twenty twenty four to twenty five Kansas and Big twelve play nine and six. But hey, you know what, you have, all the all the ability. This is the That was a good sentence. They would make it. They would make it a story if you didn't go down ten points and pick them before roaring back to a comeback. Right, That's absolutely how this works.
Speaker 2: It's like a Lance Leipold football team, right right, but at.
Speaker 3: This time with the comeback.
Speaker 1: All right, So I put out the ask ARCB question, and I did say that the final couple minutes would be during ascarcbs. But this football game doesn't even leave you sweating very much. Cam The Lions are rolling right now.
Speaker 2: No, I'm sweating profusely, but that's mostly due to my diet.
Speaker 1: We have eight ASKARCBS, you guys did good because I posted this question just a couple hours ago. I said you had a strict cutoff of nine o'clock, and as usual, we are very punctual on itp it is ten eighteen. Only missed that cut off by an hour in eighteen minutes at show me Hawk. Do we think West Virginia could be a top six Big twelve team this year? They already have great winsz Arizona, Kansas. Hey, we were talking about that earlier name six teams that are gonna do better in the Big twelve than West Virginia. Can you do it?
Speaker 3: Not confidently? Certainly?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean Iowa State, Houston, and Kansas you'd bet.
Speaker 2: On and after that they but not good ones.
Speaker 1: I think you could say West Virginia could finish as high as four. It depends on their home court advantage. They have a pretty good home court advantage most nights. If they can get some of that magic back kind of like Texas Tech usually has, where it propels them to a couple wins they have no business getting, then yes, this team could absolutely And also, by the way, they need Tucker to rye back if he doesn't come back they're gonna be They're gonna they're gonna ultimately lose some games, but if they get him back, he is a lightning rod. So yeah, I think they could be a top six team for sure. They might be higher than that. Also from Smi Hawk, Well, Kansas have to go fifteen and five to get a share of the Big Twelve title. Well let's see. Yeah, if they get to fifteen, they got it. I think so too. I think fifteen's got I think either Houston or Iowa State it's gonna get to fifteen.
Speaker 2: I'm almost tempted to say sixteen. I think yeah. I mean, I just I don't know. I think Iowa State is really good. Houston is gonna be really tough to beat, especially at Houston. I just I don't know. I at least fifteen, maybe sixteen.
Speaker 1: Well, the we always kind of take that number down a couple of spots because the Big Twelve is consistently so good. The bottom level teams are normally even still pretty good. But teams like TCU and Utah and UCF for those of you who just saw that, like when those teams exist, there may be some doormats in this conference. For the first time, in a while, which whenever you have a sixteen team, like the ten team Big Twelve, not having any doormats was one thing. But when you go up to sixteen teams, you are going to have some doormats, and I think the conference does which when you have doormats, that's how you get those seventeen and three level ACC teams because they can just crush six or seven games every year that they have no danger of losing. Is that kind of the way the Big Twelve is with Utah and UCF and TCU and Colorado at the bottom.
Speaker 2: Kind of think so.
Speaker 1: So if that's the case, sixteen may not be enough to get an outright title. I think Iowa State and Houston are going to drop four games. I don't know if it's more. I think they'll drop seventeen we get it out of right, I don't know about more, so sixteen to get a share, maybe fifteen at true ball, No, or do you guys think this team is just going to commit to be more efficient than the other team and not shoot threes. They definitely are going to try to win with defense there, make no mistake about it. Kansas's first goal this year is to pound you inside with Hunter Dickinson as much as they can. And and secondly.
Speaker 2: Boy, what has it ever tournament? Uh?
Speaker 1: Well, only with unter Dickinson. Yeah, I was gonna say only once. And I have no idea who that came against so much, but they're gonna try to win with ground and pound basketball and defense. First day it works. Also, you see it not hard to beat with defense.
Speaker 3: Tournament music, Yeah, help us all.
Speaker 1: I used to have that on the show. That makes me sad that I don't anymore.
Speaker 2: I need to.
Speaker 1: I need to go find that at aj Stevenson are Dewan Harris and kJ Adams the last players that we'll see at Kansas come in as freshman and graduate as seams. That's a great quest question, that's a spy. They are among the last of the players that get prominent minutes throughout their careers and graduated seniors. You may see some like some friggin Zach Clements types, but like prominent players probably uh.
Speaker 3: Add as That makes me to admit, because that was one of my favorite things about college basketball.
Speaker 2: Yes, probably right.
Speaker 3: I would bet more in favor of that than you see a bunch of four year starters.
Speaker 1: Ever, again, because because if we're transfers. If we're just looking at guys who are Kansas homegrown players, this roster only has six, right clements kJ al Marco Jackson, Uh Harris and Jamari McDowell. Is that it? So they have five? Yeah, al Marco. Maybe el Marco needs to make it three more years, as does McDowell.
Speaker 2: And I can see, Oh god.
Speaker 1: The six to one is Flory, but that's not getting to a senior year, so it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: Correct, Yeah, maybe.
Speaker 1: L Marco? Oh yeah, fastmar I forgot.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: If el Marco Jackson is still here as a senior, he's not good and we're having similar kJ Adams conversations about him.
Speaker 3: Maybe so.
Speaker 1: Also kJ Adams is an insult to kJ Adams to put those two in the same sentence. At this point in their careers. kJ Adams has won basketball games for Kansas. You know who hasn't done that? Al Marco Jackson agree, Yeah, no, it's it's it's not a fair comparison. Next year we are gonna see Kansas stick el Marco Jackson next to Darren Peterson and Bryson Tiller and Bill self is gonna be like, guys, el Marco was our most improved player in practice this whole offseason, and Darren Peterson is gonna have twenty one points and SIGs assists. Well, al Marco goes one for six from three and Bill's gonna say, well, Darren's gotta pass the ball more. That just can't happen. Just wait, he guys excited for season thirteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Al Marco the team floor Burnston Eye.
Speaker 3: Marco got called for three blocks tonight, but man, his effort was unbelievable.
Speaker 2: He was in the right position for those blocks. I just didn't like him.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty confident I'll have Cam to talk about the Marco Jackson earra Jayhawks losing faith by the day that Landon will be here, but we'll see.
Speaker 2: Ato is right. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Is Shaquille Moore the best small forward or starting small forward? And get you history? I do like, yeah, Well, I mean yeah, but Paul Pierce didn't win one hundred percent of the games he started, sir, so history would show.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 1: Shack More forward.
Speaker 2: Galaxy brand.
Speaker 1: Wow, this is interesting because this is the second question that we I swear we talked about earlier at Preston Skirsik. Dude. The Flory reactions tonight gave you deja vu de Furfey around this time last year. That's pretty much what we talked about earlier. Is even the same game, Yes, but the ceiling on Floory is this ceiling on Floory is so social, so much higher, and he's less his position is less important to this one. Last year's team needed Furfee so unbelievably badly, and he was just pretty good as a freshman and it wasn't enough. Whereas you know how this team doesn't need need Fory, but look at him.
Speaker 3: Go.
Speaker 2: You know how I knew last year's team was destined to fail was the second I realized that their hopes rested in a very young freshman small forward like that alone, when when your primary shooter is a freshman that nobody, even Nick on the show was like, I don't even think he's a real person, Like you can't even find information on this guy before he came to Kansas. When that's your entire hope, That is when you know it's not meant to be. So yeah, no, it's different, but yeah, I get the comp though.
Speaker 1: Didn't Furfey like almost red shirt? Wasn't that a thing? Like yeah, almost red shirted? Yeah? And you had, and because they were counting on Timberlake and Artario Morris to be your impact guards. And oh boy did Artaria Morris make his impact known, but not in a good way. And and al Marco too. I guess al Marco's in there as well. Those were the big three and al Marco sucked, Timberlake sucked, and Artario was a rapist. Yay twenty twenty four?
Speaker 2: No did that?
Speaker 1: Did that get thrown out? I think it did get thrown out. I think it got thrown I had a few people on the Rock Chalk blog mentions tell me see they never should have thrown him out of school? What was Bill thinking?
Speaker 2: It was such a crazy jake, dude.
Speaker 1: I don't know why they put their eggs in that basket, but they kind of got what they asked for on that one. At Let's see here at boxman Ku. How many more performances like today? Does Florie need to be a one and done? I think it's zero. I think he already is.
Speaker 2: Uh. I think he just needs to be fine.
Speaker 3: I don't I don't think like he could go pro that. The talent is so obvious. How many does he need to have? And how many will he have or two different questions too, because I think he's going to have a few more games like this before the year is done, hopefully.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Cam, do you even think it's a question like right now? Like Johnny Furfey was a guy that we all kind of knew could go pro and could get drafted. He went later than we thought he would, but he could, but like another year in college would have done a lot of good for him. Whereas do you think it's gonna be like that with Flori or do you think with Flori we're gonna be at a point where it's like a no doubt or he is absolutely going pro.
Speaker 2: I think it's the only thing that makes me think he could come back as nil money. I think he'd be My guess is he'd be like a potential lottery picker like Waid first round or if he went this year, but he could come back and he could be a lottery pick guaranteed. That being said, I wouldn't be shocked if he's just gone from right away from this year. He's really good.
Speaker 1: They do they have a point guard next year or is it el Marco Jackson? Is he their only point guard on the roster next year? I know Peterson is is kind of he can play point guard, but he's a combo guard. Uh, pass War is not a point guard, is he? That was LeBaron Fellin who left.
Speaker 3: He came to school as a combo guard. Pass More.
Speaker 1: And so El Marco and Passmore are your and and Peterson's obviously your your blue chip, and Bryce and Tiller should be here as well, and then Badoonga maybe inside Like that's the problem with this year's Jayhawks is are they athletic enough? Next year's Jayhawks are not gonna have an athleticism problem. It'll just all depend on the same thing that every other team depends on. Can they shoot well enough? At k Eden fourteen not in a better mood until kJ Adams stopped starting games. You think More will continue to start, well, then you're gonna be cranky for a while because I don't think come off the bench the rest of his Kansas career. I think More will continue to start for a while. Eventually, I am still clamping my fingernails into the camp that either Ryland Griffin or aj Store one of them will grab that spot and and go with it. At some point. I do not think Shaq Moore is starting the rest of the games.
Speaker 3: I think Ryland Griffin should get a chance.
Speaker 2: I do too.
Speaker 1: Starting next game.
Speaker 3: Well, I think I have to go with until Store gives you consistent minutes over multiple games.
Speaker 1: At this point, Bill says, you'll have kJ and Dewan and you will like it. If you ever have asked RCBS, use the Twitter hashtag ask rcbe all right now, we got to preview a home conference game which didn't go very well last time. Maybe this time it will go better because into allen Field and not Man and especially not at home Quick Landon or Cam you bike in both the answers who scored eighteen points the last time Arizona State came doll.
Speaker 3: In fieldals plays bird noises incessantly.
Speaker 1: And they'll self does not want you to mention, but he just may have allowed won a national title in the evening, you know, yeah, yeah, that's uh. It only took forty games for a little to be like, oh, hey.
Speaker 2: Two thousand you might know what he's doing.
Speaker 1: Like, I know, we're all pulling our hair out over a little bit of the Store and the Griffin stuff. But Cam you listened, and Landon you lived it. I really cannot emphasize how close we were to ripping every hair on our heads out to shreds. Regarding Bill self not giving Remy Martin his fair share, that was unbelievable. You will remember I fought the good fight on Rock Chalk Blog Twitter because people were like, Remy doesn't play defense, so he should be hung in the town square and I'm like, no, you have to play him. You have to play him. He's good.
Speaker 3: And that was like a real life thing too for me, Like that wasn't just a bit for this show. Like I was at Kansas Games, like yelling at the court to play remymore that year.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then they did and they won the whole thing. It's almost like it's almost like he was good.
Speaker 3: Rest your hat on that of all time. We should frame that take and hang it in all of our rooms forever, because that's one of the greatest things we've ever said, is that Remy Martin is the key to this team winning anything. And we were right.
Speaker 1: It's close, Landon, It's very close, because it's second. Actually, the number one best take we've ever had is this, come on, play now, come on, come on.
Speaker 3: Here comes the two seat.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: And then Cam, Yeah, Cam, Cam, tell us the story of how you with your dad went to that game, and to ease your pregame nerves, listen to itp reassure you that they really find because Villanova was a good matchup.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Villanova was a great matchup. Everything was good. I watched Wayne Selden make twenty three pointers in a row in warm ups. I tweeted out, looks like he's confident. It's gonna be a great game. He airballed his first three shots, and then I stand next to Villanova fans that were the most miserable human beings that I've ever encountered in my entire life. Kansas lost, But then I walked through the streets depressed.
Speaker 1: Hey it's okay, sir. You were in Louisville, so at least it was a fun place.
Speaker 2: I was in the yum.
Speaker 1: Two years later, two years later, Kansas got their revenge. Wait what is that? I'm being old that that did not happen, not even close.
Speaker 2: Okay, that did not happen.
Speaker 1: It did eventually, but not then. But into Allen Fieldhouse comes Remy Martin's former Arizona State team, as they will play at what probably like number eleven Kansas. I'm guessing today's performance probably saved him a couple spots far in the polls. They'll probably go down four spots ish Wednesday, January eight, at eight o'clock pm, it will be frightfully cold. The Sun Devils, they're coming up to get frozen. I am I right sure?
Speaker 2: Why not? Probably yeh bah hombug fok's up.
Speaker 3: The air is gonna say Sun Devils ten and three. They are one in one in BA twelve play. They lost by eight to Gonsaga and by seventeen to Florida, two losses that you can you do mostly take without hanging your head too much. They were far and away the best teams that they faced in the non conference though.
Speaker 2: Six foot nine power forward the Sheer Jihad I man, I have so many things I want to say right now, leads the Sun Devils and scoring with fourteen points. He's a versatile player that shoots very well from the outside at thirty nine percent. He plays alongside six foot ten Jayden Quintance in the front court, whoeverages nine to eight, is the starting center. They also have a seven foot center in Sean Phillips Junior that fouls a lot, but plays in moments of defensive emphasis.
Speaker 1: I love how you guys show so much trust in me with these notes because you have no idea who's playing for Arizona State. Like I could have written six foot nine power forward John fark T. Yeah, last game, Luigi made one these seven threes. Well, if we're being honest, Luigi was three for three shooting.
Speaker 2: Okay, oh.
Speaker 1: You can't do that. No, not on this show. This show has standards. What are we doing? But yeah, anyway, you guys made me go off.
Speaker 3: The there's a deep, deep drive to left field by came.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they play defense with a modol of denied, defend, depose or whatever it said.
Speaker 3: Oh good, that's so clever, Cam, that's so clever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't.
Speaker 3: I have to acknowledge the beauty of the artwork. That was what you just said there.
Speaker 1: That is why offered a starting salary of what we're paying Landon, who is in his eighth season on the show. That's why we went right to the salary, right my starting salary.
Speaker 2: I'm a developer man, and you're a transfer guy man. That fast.
Speaker 1: I didn't know Arizona State would do that to us. But anyway, you guys show because and this is what the Big twelve is now. Yeah, this is sad. Thanks Lord your Mark, But I could just be making.
Speaker 3: This is Greg.
Speaker 1: I guess that is true. This is Brett or Mark can still go sit on a cactus, but whatever. The backcourt is led by all Stun Mason, who averages eleven and four, alongside wings Josan Sonan and BJ Freeman. I am not just Ai chat gpt make up some names to fool least. These are their players.
Speaker 2: You got like b J Freeman.
Speaker 1: God, I can hear everybody booing us outside. It's not pretty, folks, It's not pretty.
Speaker 2: I'm so sorry to all of our listeners. Wow, oh wow.
Speaker 1: You know what, folks, You didn't come to this show because you were expecting quality. You came to this show because you were expecting.
Speaker 2: Something else, and boy did we deliver an.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, well here's what you have to know. Joe San Sanan and Adam Miller are three point specialists.
Speaker 2: Man all that.
Speaker 3: And then that's the first name, not like not like head Smith Jimmy Roberts, but Josan's non.
Speaker 2: Hey, Adam in the state eight off jihad.
Speaker 1: Wow. Wow, I'm sorry Arizona State. I think that these guys are probably mostly nice people. You wouldn't know, I would hope. So just don't let Adam Miller and old Joe sNaN shoot threes because they both make almost half of them on big sample sizes. They always hit their targets.
Speaker 3: I'll read the next super normal paragraph. Billy Hurley, who has been this is I swear, this is what it says. This is what Ryan wrote, who has been competing for his father's love for years.
Speaker 2: I wrote this.
Speaker 3: He is a failure compared to his brother. Okay, fair enough enters Allenfield House with hope of thirty five minutes of case Adam game.
Speaker 1: That's pretty funny. That's very true. Speaking of Yeah, he is a failure compared to his in a big way, but he does have something that his brother doesn't have, A win at Allen Field House.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 2: This is true, Ryan, you just finish this up. I can't, ye An.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's do a real show. Rock six seconds.
Speaker 1: Let's rock. Arizona State is a very good three point shooting team at thirty eight percent. I know that brings you a lot of comfort. It's okay, I promise that has never hurt Kansas before. They make nine per game, and they rely on lots of threes to offset very underwhelming two point offense. Their pace is above average, and they're among the Big twelve's best teams in shot blocks. They have some size and a lot of athleticism, but their rebounding numbers aren't impressive. They commit a lot of turnovers. I think they lead the Big Twelve in turnovers, and they barely shoot seventy percent at the free throw line. It's usually very difficult for poor to mediocre free throw shooting teams to win at Allen field House. One the refs are you know, they always give Kansas to calls. You know you're gonna have to make up for that, and then whenever you get to the free throw line, you don't make very many of them. Not a recipe for success.
Speaker 3: Has a losing record in eleven lifetime matchups with Arizona State at five and six. The Sun Devils swiped at home and home in twenty seventeen and twenty eighteen. As we mentioned earlier, with Remy Martin on that team of the Jayhawks last win against this team was in the two thousand and three NCAA tournament, tournament that ended so well for Kansas. They are one of two teams that Kansas has faced multiple times under Bill self and never have beaten. Cam Do you know the other one? I don't know if I do actually off the top of my head, multiple.
Speaker 1: I've given you some clues on this particular podcast. Auburn, I believe, is the only Power League team that they've played multiple times in school history and I've never beaten. There is one team that they beat once under Roy Williams and are oh and two against under Bill self.
Speaker 3: It is Gonzaga.
Speaker 1: It is Gonzaga. Who else would it be? Then? The one team? Like, if I could change any stat it wouldn't be Kansas's number of national titles. I wouldn't change that from four to fifty. I would change their oh and two against Gonzaga to two to zero just to have Michael Jordan dunking rights on those stupid, stupid, stupid fans. Yeah that he's zero and two. Yeah, it's so frustrating. All right, predict this game. I predicted that Jayhawks would blow out UCF and I was a genius. So I think I'll go first here. I think Kansas will handle Arizona State. Not necessarily because Kansas play is great, but I think Arizona State is kind of similar in the metrics. Again, I haven't I'm not claiming to be a Sun Devil's expert, but in the metrics, they kind of project as a similar matchup to UCF. Maybe a little more athletic, but they rely more on threes than two's, and if the three point shot isn't following, they have tendency to get blasted, which has happened a couple times in non conference play. Well, we'll see if they can keep pace at Allen Field House, but they foul a lot, they don't shoot very well at the free throw line. Feels like a good recipe for Kansas to get rolling and start a fresh home winning streak. I will pick Kansas to hang eighty on these guys and win eighty to sixty six.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I honestly, I was saying something very simil are here. I think Arizona State is probably I mean, I would be shocked if they lose by fifty, but I definitely think Kansas should like the matchup. They do seem to grade out pretty similarly to UCF. I think, just yeah, I'm more athletic version of that. I'll say seventy eight sixty three. Kansas wins by fifteen and keeps them, keeps them at a good distance the whole day.
Speaker 2: I agree with both of you guys. I think Kansas wins eighty three to sixty five and a pretty comfortable win.
Speaker 1: Well, after all you guys talked about, you know it's going to be pretty cold outside, so I hope there's no explosions that warm up the field house. Oh man, come on, come on, Cam, follow that up with something.
Speaker 2: I just I feel like I have it in me. But I think if I say what I'm thinking. Yeah, if I say what I'm thinking, our whole show gets wiped off the air.
Speaker 3: I'd like to have some level of honor that I can share with my family after this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, run Away.
Speaker 1: Landon's a good boy. I promise he's a He's a good guy. He's much better than He's much better than than myself. I can't speak on behalf of Cam though. After hearing camp for sixteen shows, now I'm beginning to think that Cam might be below Landing on the moral line, which is fine, totally fine. I'm just like, you're somewhere between the two of us. Can that's that's still second place, isn't bad?
Speaker 2: I think I have good intentions and I have a very poor way of expressing those. And hey, that's podcast.
Speaker 1: Sounds like what Jamie Dixon will be telling his team after they lose by a lot to Houston here this week other games. TCU at number fourteen Houston on Big Monday sounds like a big blowout. Give me the Cougars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, same by a lot.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Was it last year or two years ago that Houston and TCU played in the Big twelve tournament. The game was like eighteen to zero or something like that. Yeah, something like that feels right.
Speaker 3: It must have been last year.
Speaker 2: I think it was the last.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Arizona at West Virginia and the only battle of two and oh teams. I will believe in West Virginia a little bit. I'll take him to get to three and oh and hold my nose doing it because I don't feel great about it.
Speaker 3: Same on a classic Caleb Love two for seventeen outing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, give me gimme West Virginia.
Speaker 1: Utah at number three Iowa State. Maybe the I was gonna say this might be the biggest blow out of the Big twelve season.
Speaker 2: But it's literally what happened.
Speaker 3: If we had but witness what happened by fifty. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Utah will not keep this game close. Clones or three and oh.
Speaker 3: Iowa State scores one hundred.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was stayed by fifty.
Speaker 1: Cincinnati at Baylor, Bearcats desperately needing a win, but I don't think they get it here. I think Baylor drops him to oh to three.
Speaker 3: Close game. I think Baylor does win.
Speaker 2: Yep, give me Baylor.
Speaker 1: So if since he loses that game, they are oho and three heading into the Saturday game against Kansas, and I'm not super like in the NFL, team that are desperate to avoid oh and two or oh and three normally have really good records. But I don't know if it works like that as much in college basketball. But I really don't want to see a desperate, desperate, desperate and talented Cincinnati team against Kansas. So I hope they win, but I don't think they will. Kansas State at Oklahoma State, I'd rather die than watch this game, but I'll pick the Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Give me the.
Speaker 2: Cowboys, give me the fighting. Your own tangs unbelievable.
Speaker 1: You still don't learn your lesson, sir. I don't get it. I don't get how you can keep rolling running.
Speaker 2: At throttle the day.
Speaker 3: They did to Still Water.
Speaker 2: And Kansas State should have should have beat TCU.
Speaker 3: Yes they should have, but their closest road loss of the season, by definition.
Speaker 2: Will be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, quite possibly. Let's see here, Texas Tech at BYU. There's so many games. I will take the Mormons.
Speaker 3: Red Raiders. I think YU is booty cheeks.
Speaker 2: I think they both kind of suck. But I'll take BYU.
Speaker 1: And Colorado at Central Florida. Boy, that's probably the toughest game to pick. I will say, UCF bounces back.
Speaker 3: Same. I think you CEF, you have bounces back as much as they can. Lucky to have one of the other teams I think is truly atrocious in this league.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you s F bounced back.
Speaker 1: Tad Boyle is still the coach. There are they changed yet?
Speaker 3: I think it's Tad Boyle.
Speaker 1: That's way too long, even though they made the tournament last year. That's way too much Tad Boyle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he is.
Speaker 1: Other games number one, Tennessee at number six Florida. Give me the Gators, yep, Gators. Number two. Auburn at Texas. Ah ha ha Auburn.
Speaker 2: Big correct sadly yes.
Speaker 1: Number ten Kentucky at Georgia upset, question mark cam go first.
Speaker 2: I'm actually I'm going to No, I'm taking Kentucky. They're too good.
Speaker 1: I'll take the upset, give me the Bulldogs.
Speaker 3: I wondered if I would be the only one on it. I think Georgia might actually suck a lot. I can't find her exact record super quickly, but I will take Kentucky.
Speaker 1: I think Kentucky's vulnerable enough where they'll lose a couple and these road games are brutal, like these SEC road games are what Big twelve road games were for many years. Number eleven Yukon they yeah, that's true. Number eleven Yukon at Villanova. I will take Yukon, but that because I don't think Villanova is good at all. But that also feels like a trap spot see.
Speaker 3: I'll take Nova here and I'll get both wrong.
Speaker 2: Oh man, Yeah, No, Yukon for sure.
Speaker 1: Number twenty four, Ole Miss at number twenty three Arkansaw, I will I'm not a believer at all on Chris Beard's team. I will take the PayPal cows yep, same number thirteen Texas A and m at number twelve Oklahoma. These rankings are all gonna ship. But are you betting on the Sooners to bounce back at home?
Speaker 2: No, sir, I actually I actually am give me Oklahoma.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm with Landon. I think the Aggies win. I think Oklahoma's about the free fall and finishing us off a rematch of the football game we just watched the other day. Number nine Oregon at Ohio State. I predict this one goes better than expected for or better than the football game did for Oregon. I think they'll win.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, yeah, I'll take Oregon, all right.
Speaker 1: So we'll be back here later in the week to talk about Kansas and Arizona State and they get ready for Cincinnati. Two and oer week for the Jayhawks puts them at three and one, and I think realistically that's about what we thought they'd be through four games. So they have the opportunity to make up for their loss to West Virginia by winning both games this week, get to three and one heading into the Big Winsday game in Ames, and we'll see what happ weapons. Until then. This is the Inside the Paint podcast on rock Chalk Blog. I apologize for everybody that we may have offended today. I'm Ryan Landra.
Speaker 2: Uh ditto, I'm Landing Fields. Yeah, I'm Cam and I feel really bad right now.
Speaker 1: Cam's just happy about the Lions. That's that's it happens.
Speaker 2: That'll go down as an all timer of a show. Guys, some stuff.
Speaker 1: It started with talking about what sucking meant, specifically various things, and it ended with the well it's not our fault. Arizona States. Players' names all all sound different.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean they discussing the nature of what the show is while doing the show makes me think that, like when this was trendy, like eight months ago, we should have done a tier list of all of the KU Tournament loss episodes.
Speaker 1: I have them all in one Google upload. I have them all on the dogs. I think the most the most depressing one is Oregon. The most anger one is probably Gonzaga. There's there's there's a lot of them. There's a lot of them. You're not gonna get one this year. Oh yeah, which daw State? Maybe the angry one? I remember that one. That's that was awesome. Yeah, welcome Daniel.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Good news is there's not gonna be one this year. I promise somebody say bye.
Speaker 2: Please, please, By Hod