Speaker 1: Welcome to You Should Know Better with Mike c Ylson, the guy who won't shut up about winning three times on Jeopardy.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome to you Should Know Better, The trivia podcast that tests your knowledge pan a little bit of your patience. Our goal here is to celebrate the theme of continuing education. We should always be learning and always be on the prowl to know better. Now we will meet our commercial queens and hear all about what heartwarming causes they are playing for, and shortly crown one of them the smartest person in the world death for one week. But as for right now, let's jump right into some questions and answers with our first of four rounds today. It is always our General Knowledge round.
Speaker 1: Round one General.
Speaker 2: Knowledge Thinking caps on, lady, pens or pencils at the ready, and away we go. There are eight questions in the general knowledge round. Before I ask question number one, how are we feeling terrified?
Speaker 3: I want to log off right now?
Speaker 2: Ah, so we have a terrified and she's leaving. Great, Just how we want to start. Let's see if question one either you know backs that up or makes you feel much much better. Here we go. Question number one of eight in your General Knowledge round back in twenty twelve, the kitten at the time at the time named Tardar Sauce and that's t Dar Sauce became a viral sensation and became better known by what name? You've seen this kitten or cat in all of the memes back in twenty twelve, the kitten at the time named Tardar Sauce became a viral sensation and became better known by what name? For question number one, all right, we're gonna move on to question two of eight. Name the actress that portrayed the lead character Olivia Pope in the ABC drama series Scandal. In the lead actress from Scandal for question number two. Again, name the actress that portrayed the lead character Olivia Pope in the ABC drama series Scandal for question number two, all right. Question number three a little music and movie question. What East La band covered six Richie Vallen songs on the nineteen eighty seven soundtrack album for the motion picture La Bamba. Name that band out of East La. They've been around for decades, but they covered six Richie Vallen songs on the nineteen eighty seven soundtrack album for the motion picture LaBamba.
Speaker 1: Great film.
Speaker 3: Yeah, great film.
Speaker 1: I know girl me.
Speaker 2: No, No, you've heard of this group.
Speaker 1: Okay, we've heard of them.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm just going to write things I've heard of yep, East La.
Speaker 1: But okay, I have so many thoughts because this movie is so present in my mind. In the music.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they had a number of other artists that did like one off songs and covers and stuff. But this band is like half the soundtrack is this band, including La Bamba. Come on, let's go. I think Donna and like most of the big ones were by this band on the soundtrack.
Speaker 3: Oh different, okay, a little pivot from what I was.
Speaker 2: There we go.
Speaker 3: Okay, No, they're not. It's atrophying, but just changed gears.
Speaker 2: Take your gink golloba.
Speaker 4: He's been telling you to take your.
Speaker 2: I need to take it. All right. Are you ready for question number four?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: All right, here we go. This is the most negative game I've ever hoped. I'm sorry, Oh my god, I'm kidding. This is great, This is this is fantastic. Uh. Question number four goes like this, A nephrologist that's spelled n E p h R O l O G I s T. A nephrologist is a medical doctor that specializes in the care of what organ or organs. A nephrologist the doctor that specializes in the care of what organ slash organs. For question number four, nephrology or nephrologist, little human body question.
Speaker 4: Just dot it his name?
Speaker 2: Question Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: That very big moaning myrtle vibes from Harry Potter, like spot on moaning murder.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and take that to the bank.
Speaker 3: I know she's like, what you already won? Now you've won, opera, stop buttering up the scorekeeper.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Obera, somehow got thirty seven points in a round right now, I'm like, weird, all right? Question number six. Anne M. Martin, along with a couple ghostwriters, wrote sixty to eighty novels in what book series that centers around a group of friends living in the fictional town of Stony Brook, Connecticut. I think both of you probably read shit tons of these. Anne M. Martin, along with a couple ghostwriters, wrote that's a lot. Sixty to eighty of these novels.
Speaker 4: I didn't realize there were that many.
Speaker 2: In what book series that centers around a group of friends living in the fictional town of Stony Brook, Connecticut.
Speaker 3: The first time I cried reading a book.
Speaker 2: Oh that's great. Mine was fifty Shades of Gray in that I spent money on that book. I'm kidding, I didn't read that book. All right. We're down to two questions in round one the general knowledge around. Here's your penultimate question, question number seven, Who painted the Last Supper which appropriately sits in the dining room of a convent in Milan, Italy? But who's the painter? The famous painter? For question number seven? Who painted the Last Supper which appropriately sits in the dining room of a convent in Milan, Italy? All right, and finally question number eight, Seymour, Audrey, mister Mushnik, and Oran Scravello dds are just some of the characters for what a Musical? For question number eight, Seymour Audrey, mister Mushnik, and Oran Scravello dds are just some of the characters for what a Musical? For number eight, all right, pencils down. We will go over your answers in just a few moments. But it's time to meet my soul sisters. This person was all over the place, born in Mexico City, then lived in Washington, DC. Then Spokane, Washington, to New York City to Los Angeles. She's in those progressive turning into your Parents commercials with me and a bunch of other commercials. My dear friend Valentina Garcia is here. Yes, yes, yes, you can follow miss Garcia on social media at Valentina Garcia. She's on Instagram. Valentina, what charity are you playing for?
Speaker 3: Ooh, I am playing for Youth Mentoring Connection, which is just one of the most amazing organizations in the world, really but here in Los Angeles, mostly in East LA and they're.
Speaker 2: Amazing, fantastic. Yeah, well, win or lose, We're happy to make a donation in your name to Youth Mentoring Connection. Some of the projects of Valentina's got going on. She's got a movie that by the time this comes out, will be out on vod It's called for Profit pr pH ET. Yeah, that's a feature film that you were in right, yes, and it was in theaters for a quick second, but it's going to be available everywhere on the video on demand. And then Latina's acting up. Tell me a little bit about this group that you're a part of.
Speaker 3: You know, the AMPTP really messed up. They really fucked up, because I mean, the best thing that came out of that strike was obviously a fair living wage for everyone, but or for most, I hope, But really it was this organization that came out of that, which is a group of women that come together and are actresses and some writers collaborators within the industry, and they're obviously Latina's And we started dancing every Friday and doing these like flash mobs, and we were then requested at each of the studios to come and do flash mobs there. And we've seen together and we're celebrating our one year anniversary and we support each other. We go to each other's shows. We do the thing that I hate the most, but I'm sure I actually know you feel this way. Posting about the shit that we're working on is literally like I had to like slam my phone down to the computer down every time I do something, and I know it's part of it, but it hate it. But these women are like, got it, no problem, and then they just like post everything for you and they come to your movies, they come to your shows, and it's it's something that I didn't find. Dare I say in the like traditional white space I didn't find that kind. It felt a little cutthroat. And these women are like you, I see you, you lift me up, I lift you up, and we all get to do this together. And I think in this industry it can be a little cutthroat, and this.
Speaker 2: Is yeah, especially since the pandemic like killed what any sense of community we had totally for years, and then the strikes brought us together. That's one thing that I'll always remember about last summer is it created a sense of community that we hadn't have within within unions, in between unions, just the communities that we were in. There was parts of LA where people opened up their stores or their bathrooms for us or whatever. But yeah, your community, especially just like representation still in Hollywood sucks for the Latino community. It's like it's insane, it's so embarrassing and I'm sure frustrating for you. But to find this community of women that are just like it's such a kick ass community and it's so supportive and that you guys are working on your own projects now totally.
Speaker 3: Now we've created our own like subgroups and people are writing and they're creating stuff. They're creating what we knew we would were also helping each other. All of a sudden, you see someone on a show and it's because the other person got them on there and reminded each other that, like, and it's not just about like career wise, it's about humanitarily helping one another. Yeah, be the best we can be and support each other in something that's a really it's a really hard time for everyone globally politically, but in this industry it's in a really, really tough time and I feel like I'm like, I would do this strike all over again.
Speaker 2: Just to have found this squa, just to have found your people.
Speaker 3: People.
Speaker 2: All Right, it's time to meet your opponent from the Battle of bull Run. I believe Nassas Virginia, the first or second Battle of bull Run Manassas Virginia. She's in those progressive commercials with all of us as well. Obra tay Back is here today.
Speaker 1: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: What a treat, Obra Tayback. You can follow her on social media at Obra Tayback. She's on Instagram. What charity are you playing for? Near and dear to your heart.
Speaker 1: Obra, I am playing for Orphan Kitten Club, which uh I had a hard time to citing because I do foster neo needle kittens with the ASPCA and I love them with all my heart. However, I chose this organization because it's was It's a five O one C three created by Hannah Shaw, also known as the Kitten Lady. If you follow her on Instagram and she isn't cut the Kitten Lady on the Kitten Lady, Yeah, she's incredible. She started doing YouTube videos and just started educating people about how to foster neonaedo kittens, so like little bottle babies. And then this organization, it's all about kitten programs throughout the whole entire country, ethical research. It's just a very specific group kittens that don't have moms, that don't end up making it through the shelter system, and so these they provide grants and oh, she's amazing. The organization is amazing. It's based in San Diego, the San Diego area, but they work all over the country.
Speaker 2: So angels straight from Heaven.
Speaker 1: Angels straight from Heaven truly.
Speaker 2: Doing the Lord's work. Well, we're happy to make a donation in your name to Orphan Kitten Club Win or lose. Some projects you've seen you've been on Late Night with Seth Meyers, You've been on that wonderful one of the funniest shows in the world, the Other two, and you performed at UCB for years and years. But you have a movie called Empire Waste coming out that your friend I think is involved with. Tell us all about Empire Waste.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, I have a small part in this incredible movie written by Claire Ayub, who is if we're talking angels said from Heaven, that's Claire. It's just I don't want to give anything away from the plot, but it is just a beautiful message for young adults, but I think everybody can learn from it. Claire developed a whole curriculum about what comes up in the movie and how to talk about it with kids. Rain Wilson is in it, Mister Pile's in it. It's just it's and Claire wrote it and directed it.
Speaker 2: She's fantastic. And Obra Taybach's in it too. All right. You know are two badass contestants and dear friends. You know what great causes they are playing for. But it's time to get back to brass tacks and go for our answers for a very interesting Round one. Our general knowledge Round Question one of eight was back in twenty twelve. The kitten at the time named Tartar Sauce. Tartar Sauce became a viral sensation became better known by what name? Valentina? What did you come up with for number one?
Speaker 3: The kitten lady?
Speaker 2: The itten? Oh, my gosh.
Speaker 1: How did you know?
Speaker 2: I don't know, my gosh, that's crazy, ober gave it away, Obra, what did you put for number one?
Speaker 1: I took a stab grumpy cat.
Speaker 2: Grumpy cat. So we have the cat, the kitten lady, and grumpy cat the correct answer wearing a frown. It was grumpy cat. That was everywhere.
Speaker 1: I don't know his name or her name was Tardar sauce either.
Speaker 2: Me neither like a misspelling of Tartar sauce. Tartar Sauce became better known as grumpy cat for number one. All right, let's see if we can get Valentina off the schneid with number two. Name the actress that portrayed the lead character Olivia Pope in the ABC drama series Scandal. Obera, what did you put?
Speaker 1: I wrote, Carrie Washington.
Speaker 2: Carrie Washington, I like her a lot Valentina. What did you put?
Speaker 3: I took a stab with Also Carrie Elizabeth Washington?
Speaker 2: Oh wow, goodness, gracious was that improv? Is that her real middle name?
Speaker 3: I do not know Carrie Washington's middle name?
Speaker 2: Guys, that deserves a sploosh.
Speaker 1: Oh, I believe you.
Speaker 2: You're such a good actress that we all bought it. We were like, ah, it is, in fact, the wonderful Carrie Washington. For number two, everyone's got a correct answer under their belts. Here we go. Question number three. What East La Band covered six ritchie vallin songs on the nineteen eighty seven soundtrack album for the motion picture La Bamba Valentina? Did it come to you? For number three? I wrote los Lobos, Los Lobos, the Wolves, los Lobos obra. What did you put? We have manudo or Los Lobos? The correct answer is los Lobos nice one the Wolves. For number three? That did all those wonderful cover songs kind of put them big time on the map back in eighty seven. Question number four, maybe the toughest of all of them. A nephrologist is a medical doctor that specializes in the care of what organ slash organs obera liver liver, Great guest, what did you put?
Speaker 3: Honestly, I'm looking back and I just wrote nephrologist equals NEF for TD, So I don't think that's the answer. So I am just going to say the spleen.
Speaker 2: Spleen and the liver. I was going to ask the judges if they were shaking their heads, no on NEF for TD. So I'm glad you went with spleen. The correct answer is your kidneys just deals with your.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was going to be my backup shit, but.
Speaker 2: You guys were right there. You guys were right around the kidneys. There no harm, no foul. Question Number five. A CEO is the chief executive officer. The CFO is the chief financial officer. What is a COO O Valentina, That would be.
Speaker 3: The chief operations officer.
Speaker 2: Operating Yeah, operations or operating opera. What did you put?
Speaker 1: Well, I wrote chief officer of operations. So I don't think that's correct. That's a double chief.
Speaker 2: But I like this. I am feeling very gracious today. You're both gonna get it. You're both gonna get it. You got the operating in there. That's kind of be that we need. So it's chief operating officer.
Speaker 1: Going, yeah, that makes much more sense.
Speaker 2: You guys were all there, so you're both going to get the big point for it is a chief operating officer. Question number six. Anna Martin, along with a couple of ghostwriters, wrote sixteen to eighty novels in what book series that centers around a group of friends living in the fictional town of Stony Brook, Connecticut.
Speaker 1: Auber The Babysitters Club.
Speaker 2: Oh, the Babysitters Club, Valentino. What did you put?
Speaker 3: I have the Babysitters Club when Claudia's grandmother died. Oh my wow, I'm cheering up right now thinking about Claudia's grandmother dying.
Speaker 4: Did you watch the reboot on Netflix?
Speaker 3: I don't think I couldn't. I couldn't.
Speaker 4: It was like you would be crying every episode. It was gorgeous.
Speaker 1: It's gorgeous.
Speaker 3: Watch it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is, in fact the Baby Sitters Club for.
Speaker 4: Numbers Friends Club.
Speaker 2: You guys are doing very well, Very proud of you.
Speaker 1: My gosh, thank you.
Speaker 2: Worried they were both petrified coming in absolutely deep breaths. You're doing great. Question number seven, who id the Last Supper? Which appropriately sits in the dining room of a convent in Milan, Italy, Valentina.
Speaker 3: That would be Leonardo Elizabeth da Vinci.
Speaker 2: Da Vinci, the da Vinci code abera. What did you put?
Speaker 1: I wrote Leonardo da Vinci. So I if it's Elizabeth.
Speaker 4: I'm wrong.
Speaker 2: It is, in fact Leonardo da Vinci, number seven and then finally number eight, Seymour, Audrey, mister Mushnik and Orn Scravello. Dds are just some of the characters for what musical.
Speaker 1: Ober, Little Shop of Horrors?
Speaker 2: Maybe Little Shop of Horrors, maybe question Mark Valentino.
Speaker 3: What did you put little shop, little shoe bop?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Dds, that's a dentist. That's a dentist. Those are his initials. Orn Scravello played by Steve Martin in the in the movie version, right, uh, it is Little Shop of Horrors. Oh my god, you guys kicked.
Speaker 1: Honestly, feel a lot better.
Speaker 3: I feel a lot better. I'm kind of now pissed about the kidneys one. I know now I'm getting greedy, Jackie.
Speaker 2: How did they do after round one?
Speaker 4: This is so exciting for two people that thought they would do so not well, they're.
Speaker 1: Actually both doing great with the Tide score.
Speaker 2: Of six woo six to six after one. Holy shit. Yeah, you guys were so scared. Nothing to be scared of. It's six to six after one as we enter round two, which is always our pop culture grab bag.
Speaker 1: Round two, pop culture grab.
Speaker 2: Bag Today in the grab bag, I don't know if we've done this before. Maybe we've done it, maybe not, But we're doing a category all about TV commercials. These are all about famous TV commercials. The three of us do some commercials, definitely, for those progressive ads and whatnot. So these are all famous commercials over the years.
Speaker 3: No, I just remind you that I did not move to the United States till I was six, and I didn't learn English till I was seven. So I just wanted to I just not that everyone needs an asterisk, but I just want to remind you you're going.
Speaker 2: To do really poorly. Yes, So there it is, Obra. This is where you take her to the woodshed. Okay, all right, it is six to six. We're in the pop culture grab Bag today. It's all about TV commercials. There are eight questions in the round. Here is question number one of eight. What famous Mattel product aired its first TV commercial back in nineteen fifty nine during the Hottest Kids show at the time, which was an at Funcello and a bunch of other people on the Mickey mouse Club.
Speaker 3: Oh, Mickey mouse Club A.
Speaker 2: Name that Mattel product again for question number one, What famous matel product aired its first TV commercial back in fifty nine during the hottest kids show at the time, which was The Mickey Mouse Club back in black and white? Name that product for number one?
Speaker 1: You being sneaky?
Speaker 2: Probably not okay? All right? Question number two. Isaiah Mustafa, Terry Cruz, and currently Dion Cole have all been pitchmen for What Procter and Gamble Brand. They've done very bizarre, funny commercials over the last I don't know ten plus years. Isaiah Mustafa, Terry Cruz, and Dion Cole have all been pitchmen for What Procter and Gamble brand? All right, here we go, Question number three. What food was used as an example of your brain on drugs? For question number three? What food was used as an example of your brain on drugs? For question number three? Famous PSA back in the day? All right? Question number four, what are the three letter names of the female spokespeople for both Progressive Insurance and and Toyota Both spokespeople. They have three letter names? Can you name them? What are the three letter names of the female spokespeople for both Progressive Insurance and Toyota for many, many years? All right? Question number five? In nineteen ninety five during the Super Bowl? What company ran a memorable spot featuring three frogs? Very famous spot back from nineteen ninety five for question number five during the Super Bowl? What company ran a memorable spot featuring three frogs? All right? This could be a tough because as we're kicking at old school, So I hope you've you've seen this or heard about this. Question number six of eight in your TV commercial's pop culture grab bag. Famous in the nineteen seventies, A naked boy, for some strange reason asks an owl how many licks it takes to get to the center of a roll pop? How many licks did it take that wise bird to get to the center of a TUTSI roll pop?
Speaker 4: Mister Rowl, why am I naked?
Speaker 2: Yeah? It's weird. It's like I looked it up. I was like, it's animated, of course, and it's kind of eye But the kid looks like he's.
Speaker 4: Not wearing clothes, but maybe he is. And it just looks like that.
Speaker 2: It's the seventies. I think people we have to look it up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think they were like kids are kids?
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, it's a lot of extra drawing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the kids and kids are dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally so again. For number six, famous in the nineteen seventies, a naked boy for some strange reason, asks an owl how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tutsi roll pop? How many licks did it take the wise bird to do that? For question number six? All right? Question number seven of eight were almost there? Question number seven. A talking baby or baby's has been used for what electronic trading platform? For investors? For question number seven, like, they've done it, and they've taken it away, and then they bring it back and they've added more talking babies. For question number seven, a talking baby or baby's has been used for what electronic trading platform for investors? For question number seven, name that platform? Do lots of commercials? They've done Super Bowl ads too for many years? Are you ready for question eight?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, here we go. Question number eight in the grab bag, what product or brand is featured as Don Draper's final ad idea from the TV series mad Men, and was in real life a sensation back in nineteen seventy one?
Speaker 1: Sensation? What a great word.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So again for question number eight, what product or brand is featured as Don Draper's final ad idea from the TV series mad Men?
Speaker 4: Spoiler alert?
Speaker 2: Yeah, in real life a sensation? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Advertising.
Speaker 2: Hurry up and binge the whole series before we reveal the answers. All right, pencils down, let's go over your answers. Pop culture grab back today we're talking all about famous TV commercials with our commercial queens right here. Question one of eight was what famous Mattel product aired its first TV commercial back in nineteen fifty nine during the hottest kids show at the time, which was the old Mickey mouse Club Opera. What did you put for number one? Oh, Barbie Barbie or Barbie Doll Valentino? What did you put?
Speaker 3: I also put Barbie.
Speaker 2: Oh I thought you guys might put that, But the correct answer is Barbie. It's Barbie. It's Barbie.
Speaker 4: I didn't.
Speaker 1: I was like, is he gonna be sneaky? Sneak?
Speaker 3: Why you said that? I was like, oh shit.
Speaker 2: It was like it came out earlier that year and the commercials got rolled out like a little bit later, but they did it almost. I think it's that same year that Barbie Like first debut that they were already doing this. They were using television for commercials. Question number two, Isaiah Mustafa, Terry Crews, and Dion Cole have all been pitchmen for what Procter and Gamble Brand. Valentina, old spice, old spice? Obera, what did you put?
Speaker 1: I also wrote old spice?
Speaker 2: Curious it is old spice. Maybe those like kind of commercials that were like on acid where just the weird, awesome stuff, very funny spots for old spice. For question number two, two for two ladies two for two. Question number three, what food was used as an example of your brain on drugs? Aubera, eggs, eggs, Valentina, eggs, frying yep ooh the pan was drugs. This is your your drugs, This is your brain on drugs. Any questions? It is an egg or eggs? Three four three after three? Very well done. Question number four. What are the three letter names of the female spokespeople for both Progressive Insurance and Toyota. They've been doing it for a very long time, Valentina. That would be Jan and Flow Jan and Flow Opera Candelabra, It's flow, but I.
Speaker 1: Wrote Kay I couldn't remember her name.
Speaker 2: For Toyota, you're gonna get a half point. We're doing fractions again. You'll get a half point for flow. Jackie loves when I do fractions because math is her favorite.
Speaker 4: Just give Valentina two an opera one.
Speaker 2: No, this is about you getting better at by the time our show's over. Question number five. Back in nineteen ninety five, during the Super Bowl, What Company ran a memorable spot featuring three frogs, Miss Taybac Budwiser, bud Wiser, Valentina.
Speaker 3: I also put bud Wiser.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they would be like Bud Bud why wise Er, Bud wise Er, And then they had chameleons that came later that were talking about the frogs. But I was going for the frogs from bud Wiser. For number five. You guys are destroying the game. This is great. Question Number six, famous in the nineteen seventy is a naked boy for some strange reason as it's an owl, mister owl, how many licks does it take to get to the tutsi role center of a Tutsi pop? How many licks did it take that, wise Bird Valentina.
Speaker 3: So I'm I'm a little confused. Did not confuse. Okay, I'm gonna just do it. It's one two tree.
Speaker 2: I will accept that answer. Uh, Aubro, what did you put?
Speaker 1: I wrote three A one, A two A three three?
Speaker 2: Right, yes and crunch yeah. He would he would say A one to who a three three and then he repeats three, so it is three licks and then he just bites it into shards.
Speaker 3: Kind of like a dick. That's kind of a dick.
Speaker 2: Move right, kind of a weirdo. Maybe not so Wise Bird, kise kids if they tried that, probably broke teeth. But the answer, the most important thing is that it was three licks to get to the TUTSI roll center for number six. Number seven of Talking Baby or Babies has been used for what electronic trading platform for investors? Aubera E trade E trade Valentino? What did you put?
Speaker 3: Only one I could think of is E trade?
Speaker 2: God, Yeah, I think it was Pete Holmes, the comedian Pete Holmes did the voice of the one Baby for many years. It is E Trade E Trade for number seven. And then finally question number eight, what product or brand is featured as Don Draper's final ad idea from the TV series mad Men, and was in real life a sensation back in nineteen seventy one. Valentine Coca Cola classic is when I put coc coke or Coca cola? Aubera, what did you put?
Speaker 1: They also wrote Coca cola.
Speaker 2: I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect tor money, it is Coca cola for number eight. Oh my god, Jackie, these scores are outrageous. Tell us what they just did.
Speaker 4: This is really wild, and it's so wild that again I'm like double guessing myself, but I'm pretty positive that Valentina had a perfect round with eight out of eight points and that Abera had so close to a perfect round with seven and a half points. This is nuts, so holy shit, holy shit. At halftime we got thirteen and a half versus against fourteen. I mean, we're only a half a point away everybody.
Speaker 3: And these questions are very similar to Jeopardy questions. This is I mean, like you're always making that these are some of the tougher questions for sure.
Speaker 2: In this this is the hardest game I've ever written.
Speaker 3: Frank Okay, I just wanted to make sure that we're also acknowledging that you didn't dumb it down at all. Not all of the episodes, not at all, very.
Speaker 2: Similar, not at all. It is a half point game. At halftime, fourteen to thirteen and a half. We're here again with Valentina Garcia. You can follow her at Valentina Garcia on Instagram. She is playing for the Youth Mentoring Connection. And we have Aubra Tayback. You can follow her on social media at Aubra Taybek on Instagram, and she's playing for the Orphan Kitten Club. Holy shit, what a game. As we enter our third of four rounds today, this is the infamous or dreaded Lightning Brown.
Speaker 3: Round three, the lightning round.
Speaker 2: Abraa, you're trailing by a half point, so you get to go first today. And again, these two women were so petrified about, like, don't do them and I don't know anything about anything. So you can choose from these headings today. So I wanted to pick like the most brainy, nerdy, boring, historical, weird events that you can choose from today for your lightning round question. Again, these headings have nothing to do with the question nor the answers. But today you can choose either the x y z Affair, the Teapot Dome scandal, or Watergate. Name your poison Ober for your lightning round.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go with the x y z Affair.
Speaker 2: Okay, xyz Affair. I'm gonna say the question twice. I'm gonna say go. I'm gonna hit the little button on my phone. You're gonna have twenty seconds to just say as many possible answers that are coming out of your brain. Valentina, You're gonna write some answers now, because I'm coming straight to you with your five second rebuttal. As soon as Aubra's twenty seconds are up, here we go, Aubert tay back. Here is your xyz affair likening around question. Per US News and World Report named the nine US states with the best pre K through twelfth grade public education. Again, per US News and World Report named the nine US states with the best pre K through twelfth grade public educational systems twenty seconds on the clock and ago New.
Speaker 1: York, California, Connecticut, Maine, Delaware, Vermont, Washington, can Washington, DCB in there, Pennsylvania.
Speaker 2: Stop you got two, you got number three, on their list, which was Connecticut, and you got number five your state New York. So you got three and five. So there's still a few up on the board. See have Valentina can steal some answers again? Per US News in the World Report, and the nine US states are the best pre K through twelfth grade public educational systems five seconds and go.
Speaker 3: Mean Colorado, Ohio, New Mexico, Georgia, Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California.
Speaker 2: Stop stop, stop, stop stop. We gave me sixty answers. Can you go over those again that you just the first like few?
Speaker 3: You said Colorado, Maine, Ohio, New Mexico, Georgia, Alaska.
Speaker 2: Okay, and then I think I stopped you, and then I think I stopped you. I don't think you stole any Jackie. Do you agree with that?
Speaker 4: I do agree.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is a tough question. Again the possible answers. Yeah, so here are the answers. Number one, you were all around at Oubera, Massachusetts is number one. They're always kind of talking about that. And then not too far away, New Jersey, Crazy Jersey number two on their list, Number four. You said Vermont, but right next door New Hampshire Good Schools. Utah was number six, Illinois was number seven, Wisconsin was number eight, and then Virginia, the Commonwealth of Virginia was number nine. So that was a tough question. But Auber got a couple right on that one. But Valentina, it's your turn in the barrel. You could choose either Teapot Dome scandal or Watergate for your lightning round question.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Watergate. I hope it's all about Watergate.
Speaker 2: Let's do water You are such a savant when it comes to that scandal. So the teapot Dome scandal was kind of a movie thing that'll just go into a different game. So you got Watergate. I'll repeat the question twice, sego twenty seconds. Say as much as you can, aubur write some answers down because I'm coming straight to you for your five second budtle. Here is your Watergate lightning round question, Valentina. As of today's date, what are the nine sports that the US has meddled in the most in the Summer Olympic Game? So, in the Summer Olympics, the United States, what are the nine sports that they have won the most in the Summer Olympics as of today, because the Paris Olympics are are going to be happening soon. But we're doing we're recording this before that twenty seconds on the clock, and I'll.
Speaker 3: Go swimming, track and field, gymnastics, long distance swimming. I don't know if that's a separate thing. Kayaking, boating, track and field is all one.
Speaker 2: Do you know that.
Speaker 3: I'm a huge Olympic fan.
Speaker 2: That's why I'm like, stop, stop, you did great. You got four. You got track and field, you got swimming, you got gymnastics, and then I'm gonna give you sailing. You said boating, give me a sailing. I'll give you a sailing. So you got four. Great job, Aubra, your chance to steal some answers are still five on the board as of today's date. What are the nine sports that the United States has medaled in the most in the Summer Olympic Games? Five second rebuttal and a.
Speaker 1: Go basketball, ski, shooting.
Speaker 2: Stop stop, I think you got that right under the wire. Shooting and rowing were in the top nine. Great job, both you gots rocked Watergate. So let's go over the ones we didn't get to number three, close to swimming, diving, we've done really we Greg Lugainis and peeps. For the different types of wrestling, there's Greco Roman and other types of wrestling, we've done really well. And just like that, boxing we've done very well since the early days with Muhammad Ali and people like that, and boxing Jackie. That was pretty fun. Lightning round. What what the hell happened?
Speaker 4: Because we have such a we don't believe it, Mike, another freakin tied round. You both got four points in that round. So we have Valentina and the lead with a grand total of eighteen points and Arbor just behind was seventeen point five.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it's so damn close. This is how we draw it up. We love close games. It's a half point game and we're through three rounds, so that means there's one round remaining between you two, and it happens to be the Theodore Double Duty Radcliffe round round four.
Speaker 1: The Double Duty.
Speaker 2: We call it the Double Duty because points are doubled, so that half point lead is very precarious. Right now, today in the Double Duty, we're going to do a round all about pop music. It's another music round for the Double Duty. There are nine questions instead of eight in this round. So there are eighteen very large points up four grabs. Here we go. Question number one of nine in the double duty What Beg's hit song is often used as the rhythm to perform CPR. We're doing CPR, they say this song in your head and it'll help with the rhythm. Very famous Begs song for question number one is often used as the rhythm to performing c p R. For question number one, this is where it gets re quiet. Everyone's getting real serious. I wonder if this is going to break up your friendship.
Speaker 3: Never, never, not possible.
Speaker 4: I believe that there's a new song out it is.
Speaker 2: Oh, we'll talk all about that.
Speaker 4: I want to learn that because that's what guys, We got a new CPR song.
Speaker 3: Because kids don't know that song. Yeah, because the new generation's like, sorry, what song am I singing? I'm going to kill.
Speaker 2: This person's it's old Town Road. Now it's old Town Road. The kids are that's great. I can't wait to hear all about that, all right. Question number two, can you name either of Beyonce's last two albums from this year and the one from twenty twenty two? Get them both. Maybe I'll give you a bonus point, But can you name either of Beyonce's last two albums? One came out this year, earlier this year, and one came out in twenty twenty two? For question number two, here's question number three. Rappers Calvin Brotus Junior and Marshall Mathers the Third are better known as who name those two different rappers? Calvin Brodus Junior and Marshall Mathers the Third are better known as what two rappers? For question number three? All right? Question number four goes like this, what pop superstar won the first season of American Idol? And that was a long time ago, which is crazy? Question number five, besides Bono, can you name any of the other three members long tenured members of U two? Ben you two? They've been together forever? Can you name besides Bono? Can you name another one of the members of U Twoquestion number five.
Speaker 3: Oh, you're writing something for this opera? That's impression. I was like pencils down right there?
Speaker 2: Question number six. Question number six is what Kate Busch song had a huge second act by being featured in season four of Stranger Things. Song was everywhere for I think more than a year. But again for number six, what Kate Busch song had a huge second act by being featured in season four of Stranger Things? All right, Question number seven, It comes down to these final three questions. Question number seven, What Michael Jackson album is still the best selling album of all time?
Speaker 4: That's incredible?
Speaker 2: Jen, What MJ album is still the best selling album of all time? For number seven? Question number eight, your penultimate question in the double Duty round. We have a half point game between these two lovely ladies. And speaking of lovely ladies, Dolly Parton wrote, what two huge hit songs on the same night?
Speaker 4: I won't believe this fact. I can't believe that anyone would write such two hits on the same night?
Speaker 2: Question number eight. Dolly Parton wrote what two huge hit songs on the same night? She swears by it? For Questions numberrific.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we got to give it up to her.
Speaker 1: We gotta give it up to give it up to her.
Speaker 2: All right, are you ready for your final question? It could come down.
Speaker 1: To this, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Question number nine, your final question in this round. Justin Bieber was born on March first, nineteen ninety four, which was the same day of What Grunge Bands final concert? What a weird question. Justin Bieber The Beebes was born on March first, eighteen ninety four, which was the same day of what grunge band's final concert name the band for number nine? All Right, pencils down, let's go over your answers to the Theodore Double Redcliff round today we're all talking. We were talking all about pop music rather question number one of nine. What Begi's hit song has often used as the rhythm to perform CPR Valentina.
Speaker 3: Uh uh, Staying Alive, Staying Alive.
Speaker 2: Staying Alive opera What did you put?
Speaker 1: I also wrote Staying Alive.
Speaker 2: Staying Alive. Now Jackie has told us there's a new hit song that's used for CPR, but it is I was going for staying Alive, but Jackie tell us all about the new song.
Speaker 4: It's actually there's a list. There's a whole list of songs that Gosh American Hearts As Association has put out there. My top one Bye.
Speaker 3: Oh No Maybe by Bad Bunny.
Speaker 4: Can You Believe? Bye Lady Gaga, O Face, I Want to Dance to Somebody by Whitney Houston Sorry by Justin Bieber twenty four k Magic by Bruno Mars Okay, Intergalactic by Beastie.
Speaker 3: Boys, Intergalactic Plan Plan and Yeah Yeah.
Speaker 4: Okay, Bring a Fire by Johnny Cash, Bye Bye, Bye bye Insane.
Speaker 2: That's all right, this is good. I think they're just like whatever rhythm is, Oh my god, I I baby yeah.
Speaker 3: But I kind of think they're just like, just sing a song and just do it. I feel like they're like, listen, if someone just do it, just get in there. Any song will do.
Speaker 4: But the one that they tweeted about was which is very exciting.
Speaker 3: That's awesome.
Speaker 2: So I think either song have It in your Head performs CPR, it's going to help keep someone alive. But I was going for staying alive by the Begs for question number one. Question number two, can you name either of Beyonce's last two albums? One was from earlier this year and one was from twenty twenty two? A T What do you give?
Speaker 1: I'm so upset because I know it and I don't know it. I know one's wrong, Lemonade, and I also.
Speaker 2: Wrote Renaissance Valentina, What do you Got?
Speaker 3: I put Renaissance as well and Cowboy Carter.
Speaker 1: I almost just wrote Texas and I was like, that's that.
Speaker 3: I think he would have gotten it.
Speaker 2: I would have given you another fraction. But this is what we're gonna do. We're gonna give one point to Aubera, she got renaissance, and the other one was in fact Cowboy Carter. So Valentina is getting the big two points. Two points for Valentina, one for auber All. Right, Question number three rappers Calvin Brotis Junior and Marshall Mathers. The third better known as what two rappers their real names? Valentina? What are their rap names?
Speaker 3: Snoop Doggie Dog and Eminem?
Speaker 2: Snoop Doggie Dog was my answer. It's your answer, Obera, What did you put?
Speaker 1: I also well, I wrote Snoop Dogg, So which I ad mister Eminem.
Speaker 2: Mister Eminem, if you're nasty, it is Snoop Doo double g and Marshall Mathers, of course is Eminem. You nailed it. Two points apiece for question number three. Question number four, what pop superstar won the first season of American Idol? Way back? Fine, Jackie, look up when that actually was? Like how many years ago that was? I feel like that was right around the turn of the century. What pop Superstar Obera, what did you put for number four?
Speaker 1: Kelly Clarkson?
Speaker 2: Kelly Clarkson, Valentina, what did you put?
Speaker 3: I also put Kelly Elizabeth.
Speaker 2: Clarkson a beating justin Guarini. It was Kelly Clarkson for number four two thousand and two, two thousand and two, twenty two years ago. That that was a sensation. Question number five besides Bono, can you name any of the other three long tenured members of the band you two Valentina.
Speaker 3: Bono's brother might be on there.
Speaker 2: I don't. I have not literally Blake, no ideas brother Ava. What did you put? I wrote the Edge, the Edge, Oh my god, he always wears that little skull cap lead guitarist. That is, in fact the edge. Two big points for AUBRAA.
Speaker 3: That's my girl.
Speaker 2: Yep. The other two I need it something yeah. The other two I think lesser known. You have Adam Clayton on bass, I believe, and Larry Mullen Junior on drums.
Speaker 4: Never heard of him in my life.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't have put those names together.
Speaker 4: Two is my mom's favorite band. I've seen them live.
Speaker 2: But you could, you would, You would get the edge, right.
Speaker 4: H I would get the edge.
Speaker 2: That's the one. That's why I said one. That's why I said one. I would question number six, what Kate Bush song had a huge second act by being featured in season four Strange your.
Speaker 1: Things running over that hill.
Speaker 2: And Valentina running up?
Speaker 4: Oh, what are you gonna do?
Speaker 1: What are you gonna do?
Speaker 2: Like, I'm gonna give I'm gonna give Ober one and Valentina two because it is running.
Speaker 4: Up that thank you for not doing half?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but just to be fair, did you put running over the or that that? And I put the and I think it's that it's up that hill, and I put up running up the hill?
Speaker 2: All right, So you're each gonna get one point. That answer deserves a huzzah.
Speaker 1: Wow, Valentine is a classy lady Hall solidarity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right, women power right here.
Speaker 2: And Latina's acting up.
Speaker 3: And Latinas acting up.
Speaker 2: In the best of ways. Question number seven, what Michael Jackson album is still the best selling album of all time? Miss Garcia?
Speaker 4: Thriller?
Speaker 2: Thriller? Ober, what did you put?
Speaker 1: I also wrote thriller?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not bad or off the wall or dangerous, it is thriller, saying how many that sold millions? And millions and millions and millions. All right, question number eight, Here we go Dolly Parton, We all love her? She wrote what, two huge hit songs. On the same night, Aubra.
Speaker 1: I wrote I Will Always Love you and Joline.
Speaker 2: I will always love you and Joline. Valentina, what did you put?
Speaker 3: I put nine to five and.
Speaker 2: Correct answer is I will always love you and Joline. Aubera's getting two points, Valentina is getting one. This is getting real, Harry. This is one of the closest games of all time and it's gonna come down to this. I can feel it. The Bebes. Justin Bieber was born on March first, nineteen ninety four, which was the same day of What grunge band's final concert Valentina, Nirvana, Nirvana, Aubra, what did you put?
Speaker 1: I also put Nirvana.
Speaker 2: Yes, with the tragic death of Kurt Cobain at nineteen ninety four, it is Nervana. You guys did very well in this pop music grab bag. Jackie is carrying the one right now. I can't wait to hear what happens. What is going on?
Speaker 4: Oh my god, this is crazy. We have Valentina with thirty six and Abra with thirty seven and a half. She came up from behind in that double duty Radcliffe.
Speaker 2: God, oh my god, aubraa Jen took you there, Joe Lee.
Speaker 3: Yes, and the edge, the edge, the fucking edge, the fucking edge. I'm not going to tell my husband that I lost for that one, because he's gonna like be silent and walk away from it.
Speaker 2: What a game. Those are two of our highest scores we've ever had on the show show for three years. Incredible, abro Taybeck, you are the smartest person in the world for one week.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, thank you so much. Speech spege speech, I guess well. First off, shout out to Valentina for supporting you on that answer. She's a truthful, supportive, wonderful gal, So thank you for your support on that. I'm sorry to Jan from Toyota. I should have known that one, Beyonce, I'm so sorry. I honestly I know that one.
Speaker 4: I'm like, I think you should be disqualifiedly upset about it.
Speaker 1: I know it was really bad, and honestly, I'm so sorry. So I'm proud, but I'm sad.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean totally that you almost just put Texas for a beyond.
Speaker 1: I was panicking. It was so I'm embarrassed.
Speaker 3: I'm gracious and also disappointed.
Speaker 2: That's why we want our contestants to feel. We want them to feel a little downtrodden after they've given it their all for over an hour. Our champ Aubert Tayback. You can follow her on social media at Aubert Tayback on Instagram. We're happy to make a donation in her name to the Orphan Kitten Club. Check her out in the new movie Empire Waste that's coming out very soon this fall, and see her on The Other two and Late Night with Seth Myers, and then Valentina Garcia. You can follow her on social media at Valentina Garcia. We're happy to make a donation in her name to Youth Mentoring Connection. And then look for that movie. It's going to be out on vod It's called for Profit. And check out everything that's happening with latinas acting up and then watch us all on those progressive turning into your parents commercials that you love so much. Ladies, great game, but the game is not over. The final throwdown. This is where Jackie's gonna come back with a one off question she's gonna lay it on us. The three of us can discuss what's what and come up with some answers, and then hopefully we all learn a little something something before all is through. So Jackie Gonzales to Ruthie, what do you got for us today?
Speaker 4: You know, I have one that's pre written, okay, but I was also just inspired with a little something. Like someone said something and I was like, that's a quote from a movie? Should I see? Like, if they know what movie is from?
Speaker 2: Hmmm, interesting, go with your gut.
Speaker 4: So I'm going to give you the movie quote, okay, and let's see if you know where this is from. And I'm gonna I'm just gonna say it normal, and then if you need me to say it like the person, I'll say it like the person be silent, be still.
Speaker 3: Hmm Okay, now say it like the person.
Speaker 4: Be silent, be still, be silent, be still? Does that ring a bell?
Speaker 1: It does?
Speaker 4: But if it doesn't, I can just give you the other question.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about it though. Aubera's I feel like she's feeling it.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's in a movie, like someone who is in my mind, like some sort of character who's like very into meditation or something and is trying to teach others. There's like a moment where it's like be silent, be still, and everyone's like what, But I don't know if that's true.
Speaker 4: What if I told you that this person was saying this while kicking a hacky sack? Would that help you or hurt you?
Speaker 3: I mean it helps me just because that's hilarious, and I want to see this.
Speaker 2: Movie taking a hacky sack silent. He still come on, Zach, Zach, come on, Sack, you're giving us all the ends.
Speaker 3: Okay, So Zach's doing it. He's speaking to himself and third person as.
Speaker 4: And it's a movie, and it's a movie.
Speaker 2: Seems like it's a comedy.
Speaker 1: I know, I've seen it because every Kindler's list.
Speaker 4: Yes, could you believe I know this movie?
Speaker 2: Who's in it? Aubera, we'll figure it out. Tell us who's in it.
Speaker 4: It's an actually performance art piece in the movie. Him in this hackey stack. Yeah, he's like kind of like describing his like, you know, the pressures of it.
Speaker 1: And it's the guy. It's like the guy she's into, and it's like he gets up and does this thing.
Speaker 4: And he can't believe the rush of being on stage because he doesn't know it. He's usually, you know, doing sports.
Speaker 2: Is it election?
Speaker 4: You know what we've actually mentioned. It's not election. We've actually mentioned his co star earlier in this game.
Speaker 2: Oh is it like she's all.
Speaker 4: That or yes?
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: I was thinking that this was a law. I was like, everyone knows be silent, be still.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is like that is just on like the cusp of like I was too old for that film when it came.
Speaker 4: I wasn't expecting you particularly to get it. Mike Nelson.
Speaker 2: Was it Freddy Prince that's doing the zach is zach? Holy shit, I'm gonna have to watch it fun?
Speaker 4: Why not?
Speaker 2: My god?
Speaker 1: And Rachel ye Cook on Hallmark.
Speaker 4: Yeah it's a Hallmark queen.
Speaker 1: Now a Hallmark queen.
Speaker 2: Fantastic. That was a blast. That's our show, ladies. Thanks for doing it. And uh yeah, I can't wait to see you in real life again.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, can't wait wait cross.
Speaker 3: Bye bye bye, be Silent BEASTI see you next week for another episode of You Should Know Better.
Speaker 2: I want to help out the podcast. Please subscribe to You Should Know Better wherever you listen to podcasts, rate our show and write a review if you can. It really helps get the word out to the Massons. We thank you, and for some daily trivia action, check us out on TikTok and Instagram. Until next week, take care of yourselves and each other, We're all in this together. And then the immortal words of Harry Carey, so long, everybody you should know better. As produced by Jackie Gonzalez de Ruthie and myself Mike C. Nelson, Edited by Nick Wright. All music created by mister Kevin Shema, voiceover talent Natalia Castellianos, and graphic design by Jason Caldera and Calderico