Speaker 1: All right, cool. What a way to start an episode, just leading off with our technical prowess and expertise.
Speaker 2: Hey Warren, Yeah, I really set that up nicely because I've for sure been having any issues. But maybe I'll just ignore that for a second. Jump straight to the point. We have a survey going for the podcast. It's of an Adventures in DevOps dot com slash survey, but you can see it everywhere. Please submit responses because it's a good feedback for us, something critical and thoughtful. If you'll win some a Tobos credits. And if it's not, well, there's not a lot that I can do about it at that point.
Speaker 1: If it's not helpful feedback, then just put some contact details in there and I will contact you and we'll have a good chat about it if you're so interested. I'm pretty excited today because we've got Paul Marston here with this as well. Paul, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: Hello, thank you for affording me the time. Yeah, So just to introduce myself, So, I work for Anchor slash Web three. I head up the note operations, so basically twenty four to seven running of blockchain nodes for integration partners that we've brought on board and also running you know, other nodes that we run specifically for our enterprise customers and other customers to access other blockchains of the networks. So, yeah, thank you for having me. Nice to be here, nice to meet you all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, I'm looking forward to this conversation because, well, for many reasons. One, I think it's super interesting to understand or just like to get some insight into what running infrastructure for Web three looks like when you have like a Web two background, because there are some different challenges. And I'm particularly excited to have you on the show because I'm very familiar with your work because a Polygon, we're a customer of yours, and you run a pretty significant amount of infrastructure on our behalf and do a fantastic job of it. I'll be upfront with that, like we Yeah, we don't even give a second thought to the infrastructure that y'all run for us, because it's just always there. And so I think that was one of the reasons I was excited to have you on this show, because you've clearly put the time and effort into the project to figure out how to make these things run at scale. So there we go. So give us a little bit about your background before you got into Web three, what like, what choices you make in life that brought you to this moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a great question. So yeah, similar to us. I've been in ANKA for a year now and similar to as I mentioned in my interview before I joined, so I've had quite a different ten years doing one thing ten years doing another. So yeah, I started out as an underwriter of all things, working in a call center, working on mainframe based you know, black and green screen terminals effectively for a retail company in the UK, taking applications and then deciding if people got loans or not based on some score that was spat out of you know, let's call it an arbitrary scoring algorithm for people's credit scores. And then then sort of slowly moved on from there doing more in depth and more technical elements. It was mainly an operational role that was to start with, but more technical elements in the let's call it Web two but specifically sort of financial services, moving on to doing testing and analytics, you know, requirements gathering for software builds, et cetera. And then I think that the main the main takeaway from like about three or four years of that period was I started working on migrations for customers. So they would come to where I was working at the time, first data, and we we would effectiveably do gap analysis between what they ran today for credit card processing, loan processing, et cetera, and how different our system was and what we needed to do in order to uplift our system or change their processes to bring them on board. And I think one thing I will say is even said this to my wife at the weekend. Working in a fast paced environment like you know, financial services migrations and i'm sure other migrations for other software, it really gives you a great background in dealing with things that you just cannot plan for. Every single event that we had, there was always something that came up that we've forgotten about or hadn't been captured as a requirement, et cetera. And being able to think quickly and because you have a set period where you need to migrate these things right, people want to use their credit cards to pay for things, you know, being able to being in that position having to think quickly, act quickly, resolve issues and move forward. It was always fixed forward. You know, there was never any going back. Yeah, I think it sets you up for for any role that you do in the future. So yeah, that's that was like migrations, and then I moved on to working on more digital focused products. That was the later part of my financial services background. I was working at Visa, I was looking enough to work on the Apple payroll out in the UK when they came to the UK, working with Apple and various other tokenization providers after that as well, So that was good. And then yeah, on the on the web free side, So it's it's almost I shouldn't say this, but I'll say it anyway, but it's almost like a love story between me and this guy I met in Discord and he's gonna hate that I've said that, but yeah, so so me and me and Pische or Peter. You may see him in Telegram and he's all over web free. But we we met. I think it's probably twenty seventeen, back end of twenty seventeen or twenty eighteen. We met in Discord for Horizon, you know, the crypto, and from there just hit it off, you know. We we had similar opinions, not the Peter would say necessarily that my opinion would be correct against his, but we had similar opinions in how we should be setting up servers, provisioning Linux running nodes, and you know that back then it was it was the secure node that Horizon had launched at that time, and yeah, we just we just had you know, very similar approaches to things, and naturally that came together and we actually ran a small startup for us a short time and then you know, i'd life got in the way of that and that kind of dwindled out. Peter moved on and continued to work in web Free, came to Anchor. I was at the time, I was finishing golf a contract for a UK based acquirer, so still doing some financial services work. And then I did another startup just a year prior to coming to Anchor, and then Peter got in touch and he was like, hey, there's a great opening here. It's very similar to what we've done previously. Why don't you come and join me? And yeah, and that's how I ended up here. And I'm just coming up to a year being in to Anchor right on.
Speaker 1: Very cool. So for someone who's not spent a lot of time working in web three specific to like the infrastructure that powers it. What would you say are the most significant holly shit factors that they experience.
Speaker 3: So from an infrastructure perspective, probably the scale. You know, certainly where we are, the number of bed and you know we're our selling point. Our USP is run it on bear metal, get the best performance possible, have many independently working systems, so you're not going to worry about what're losing one, three, five, whatever, your services stormline and yeah, you know, do it at a cost, do it at at the right cost to me all those factors, and yeah, so really the scale at which we have we provisioned hardware or anchor versus any of the organizations I've worked for in the past, with the exception of probably Visa, I would say, yeah, the scale of the hardware, the the not so much the effort in managing it, but ensuring that you have you know, the right rollouts, the right answer will playbooks to configure this host, that host, et cetera. On the right infrastructure's code in place. You know, it's significant, And yeah, I think that's the main difference. I think the other element to it as well is just the sheer overhead of managing that on a twenty four to seven three sixty five basis. We don't have bank holidays in Web three. We did, we did in financial services, and we used to have this think called we used to have this think call the weekend. That doesn't seem to make sist in Web three. So yeah, scale maintenance.
Speaker 1: And I didn't realize that was specific to Web three. I thought that got killed by COVID. That's that's my misunderstanding there.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: I think when it talked, when you're talking about scale, like, one of the things that really sync in for me was each of the nodes. You know, because when you're talking about high availability, fault tolerance, redundant see that sort of stuff in a decentralized environment, what you're actually talking about there is every single node has to have a complete, accurate copy of the entire blockchain.
Speaker 3: To the extent that it needs to to serve its requirement. Right, So so we run different types of nodes. We have which mainly mainly come down as free categories, full node, which is you know, limited states at the you know, generally serves requests at the tip of the chain. And then we have the archive nodes, which, as you point out there, yeah, all required to store states all the way back to the genesis block and be able to serve that on you know, all day, every day twenty you know, three sixty five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 3: Just to add on to that as well, that the amount of data you have to store, you know, for an archive node, we're talking terabytes and terabytes, which for an independent service would be unheard of in the Web two world, right, you would probably have many services consuming from an enormous database as opposed to that note over there having five terabytes, that note over there having five terabytes, et cetera. So that's another good difference.
Speaker 2: So having transition from global payments infrastructure working with like Visa and some other payments companies into the Web three world, like, what sort of environment where you met with like is it common for people to transition from Web two? I mean, I see there's a lot of overlap in payments and financial structures within the Web three ecosystem, so you know, maybe there's some alignment there or was it completely different, you know, unexpected things coming up left and right that you just hadn't had experience with having been onside before.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So a great, great question. I think there's like two. There's probably two areas where it differs quite a bit. So like in the Web two space, a lot of the time there are there are lockins with vendors who sold your product, and with that comes additional bolt on products that you take as an organization because because you know you can, you can build a cohesive and hopefully you know, coherent platform to serve credit card traffic, loan traffic, you know, whatever you need to debit card traffic, et cetera. And in doing that, you almost make a decision about a lot of your infrastructure based on one key product that you need, and then as a result of taking that key product, you get all these other things as well. So you kind of mold yourself to working within those constraints of what those products have and what you've got off the shelf, and what is the key product that you've usually bought, whereas in Web three I would say there's there's there's less of that obviously, you know from we're not buying it in the Web three space, we're not buying in products that we run as such, or let's say a billing platform that we need to implement and run as part of some kind of processing platform. It's more that we're you know, our vendors primarily are our bare metal hosting providers who we deal with and you know, maintain good relationships with. So I would say there's more, there's more freedom to choose in the web free space, and we can dictate our own path more. I think the main differences between the approach to let's say development, release management and let's say notification of changes and version increments, et cetera in the Web two space versus Web three is web Web three. It happens instantly, right, you know, we can we can come in on a morning and a blockchain team that we've worked with can announce there's a hard falk tomorrow, and we've got to be ready. It doesn't matter if you're on in ten nodes, forty eight nodes, however many nodes. You know, the expectation is that you're ready. To Contrast that with what would have happened in Web two, we would have tested that for weeks. You know. I was just joking on a call with some guys the other day. They they were talking to someone loosely links to banking. Let's say, I can't say more than that, and they were saying, oh, yeah, so they said it's a six month project. I was like, whoa, whoa, I don't know you, you've not worked in this industry before. Then every finance project starts out as a six month project, and then three years later we're still working on implement to get VP and and and a lot of that is, you know, obviously there's there's decision making and you know, changes attack et cetera, and general evolution of what it is that you want to deploy and offer to your customers. But in some cases, you know your your timeline for development. In let's say the Web two space, the finance space will be shortened and you will have this huge chunk of testing that happens before things go into production. And I'm talking you know, business system testing, user acceptance testing, operational acceptance testing, et cetera, et cetera. So I think, yeah, I think there's more flexibility. We have more say over where we want to drive things in the web free space. In the Web two, I would say it's more rigid, but I wouldn't necessarily say that's all bad. I think there are good practices and processes that we can overlay from. Certainly my experience in Web two slash finance with what we do and how we approach the web free space.
Speaker 2: Makes sense. So just to get a better understanding of what it is that you're sort of doing. Would it be accurate to say you're like a cloud provider for web three companies that are running their own chains and you're hosting the nodes for them, or there's a gross oversimplification of what I'm sure you're actually doing.
Speaker 3: I mean, that doesn't that's not half bad in terms of the description. I think, you know, if you coming in cold and taking that away, I think I think that's pretty accurate. My only aversion is the cloud thing. So yes, it's cloud because it's not at your home, but we explicitly, don't you know, we have some critical services running in cloud infrastructure, AWS, GCP, etc. That's generally what I think people think of as cloud. But we're all about bare metal, least latency and highest performance.
Speaker 2: If so, now this is my own for my own understanding, Like what's the benefit of using a provider that offers dedicated nodes for the chain that you're developing, Like don't you have some sort of consensus protocol and so all of your users are going to be well, some set of the users are going to be running their own nodes anyway, how does that work? Like, what's the benefit? And I've seen, like some of the cloud writers a ws et cetera, have pretty bad versions of managed blockchain things, and I have yet to understand why they do that. I'm sure they're not good. I'm sure you have some opinions about that as well, but like I just don't understand what the point is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So to come back to the point that was made earlier on actually, you know, the if you take a source, the fact that let's say for a developer, they have to firstly understand whatever this git repository is selling them in terms of how to set up a node. You know, I think there are there are a lot of good developers out there who have that skill set who can go from you know, like bootstrapping a Docker environment, running something in kumerinettes, et cetera, to then actually doing the code they want to do. But I think certainly there's there's a number of developers and I don't want to generalize anyone here, but there are certainly a number of developers who simply want to hid an API, and you know, let's say you need an Ethereum archive node or a Polygon archive node, you're talking about downloading for many days terabytes worth of data before your node is even ready to serve those requests. So yeah, So the simple answer is from from a developer standpoint, it's it's just plug and play. You know, you come up, you come up to our anchor website, you register, you start consuming traffic. If you want a higher rate limit, you pay a little bit of money. If you want lots of traffic, then you know, you come and talk to us about having an enterprise contract. So I think I think that's the main benefit for a developer. The other the other benefit, I guess is that ongoing maintenance version upgrades. You know, the redundancy that we offer and the latency that we offer, you know that that leads itself to an easier, let's say development and testing time frame for that specific development.
Speaker 2: So just you know something that I'll basically there's a lot of parts that go from doing this, like from the software development to actually running the nodes, like for the network, for the for the chain that's out there, and that's a lot of infrastructure, a lot of process, and that's what's being automated, either helping with the development side or the testing or rolling out for what the new versions are that users should pull down and start running within their Whoever the node hosting providers are, you know, whether they're general population or whether they're independent companies or whatever. Okay, so there's a lot of work that actually needs to be done there make this work effectively, and you're solving everything in that space.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, we are. Yeah, I like to think so. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think really good perspective to put on that is if you are, like, if you're a developer who wants to create the like a cryptopunk n FT, you know, the only thing you're interested in is selling cool little eight bit graphics, and the barrier to entry to that without having access to hosted RPC nodes, the barrier to entry is you've got to set up a node that has terabytes and terabytes of data on it just to generate your your NFTs. And that's where services like anchor come in and take take that barrier away from you or remove that barrier for you. One question I want to ask, just to elaborate on it a little bit. You mentioned hard for earlier. Can you elaborate a little bit on what a hard fork is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So, in the simplest terms, it's a breaking change which requires a version upgrade. So essentially, a blockchain will run to a particular block, and at that block time, the protocol is in the network, how it talks, how the notes talk to one another. They will undergo a breaking change, which means unless you're running this new version of software, your node is basically going to sit there stalled and isn't able to communicate with the others here with them and then you know, propagate blocks and receive transactions, et cetera.
Speaker 2: So I've always looked at this as imagine the blockchain is your database, and so of hard work is where you make a non back whards compatible change to the schema of the database, and all of the clients of the world need to decide how they're going to interpret that new new schema of the database. I don't know that's always worked for me. I don't know if that's accurate, but.
Speaker 3: No, there's no harm in that description. Yeah, absolutely. I think the key element you've got there, right, is that it's a breaking change, and yeah, that's the main thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think the unique constraint to it is that the decentralized aspect of it, because when you hit that block, you're now dependent on everyone who operates a node on that network, or not everyone, but a majority of the node operators on that network to adopt that change and implement it. Otherwise you end up with a network that now has multiple people claiming that they have the latest block.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 2: I mean that's an interesting thing here because let's say the Web two world, if you've exposed your internal database to your customers and they're you know, making I mean, no one would ever do this, right, No one ever did this history of the world, for sure. But you know, your customers have access to the schema, to the underlying data that you have in your database, maybe with their own special user name and password, and you make a schema change there. I mean, in the Web two world, I just can't ever fathom a story where you like go around to each of your customers are like, Okay, we're going to make a change. I need you to, you know, change your software to actually support this. And having worked in a bunch of these companies where we even had an API, you know, rest or you know something else, Getting your customers to actually make a change and start using the latest version is I mean, that's a gargratuan task that I don't think I ever saw a company actually do successfully. Oh yeah, we'll just make a breaking change and get all our customers to update. Was easier said than done. And I feel like in the blockchain world you actually end up in this state where you have customers I'll call them customers, not really customers. Right, the end users who are using utilizing the chain will have still been using the previous software version, which doesn't understand what happens after the fork, and that's sort of what creates this maybe two future chains or whatever you're utilizing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's kind of a leader follower mentality, isn't it. I think? And ultimately the developers and the foundations of these networks are free to choose how they want to how they want to push the protocol, and really who is it is their choice, whereas in the web two space and a financial setting, you know you possibly have shareholders and who are big customers and all this kind of stuff. So it is Yeah, that's another good point. Change management and management of external customers who consume your service. It's much more it was much more complex to manage a much more bigger a task to get them ready for those new releases, as you've alluded to, than in the Web three space. You know, you're either on the train or you're on the train unfortunately.
Speaker 2: I mean there's like a huge I feel like there's actually quite a difference in perspective here because in Web two the customers don't really necessarily influence each other, right, Like what one customer is hitting your version one API and different cstomers hitting your version two API. There's not motivation for them to switch other than the value of using a later version. But in the Web three space, they likely want to be on the same network or within the same network on the latest version because there is cross communication between different users of the nose. I mean, they're all contributing to the same ledger or chain in a way, so they're not doing it in isolation. And that pretty much means as a blockchain company that's or creating anyone who's creating a chain. You're just writing the software that you think a majority of your customers want, which I hope you're doing. If you're not in the blockchain world. But you almost have to be doing it because if you do it and they and the majority don't accept the whatever happens after the hard fork, you did all that work for sure, now that you can't force them to migrate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, indeed, I think I think the main the main difference to call out here is that generally when the when the breaking changes come, they will impact an element of the network or the way a certain way that you could figure a node, or that you can how you stake tokens for that particular network or that kind of thing, whereas something customer facing is much less likely to happen. And what I mean is, you know it's there are far there are fewer changes for the API that faces the customers that they're consuming, you know, individually, Generally, you know, if it's going to be EVM compatible, it's always going to be VM compatible. And all those methods available in various name spaces generally perpetuate, you know, and they don't change what you will sometimes see. And again, as you mentioned, you may see you may see a new method or a new name space open which gives you some other a yeah that you can play with, you know, that can happen. But yeah, I think generally the hard fault changes aren't things that our customers would see or be aware of unless we missed one, and our you know knows will stop runt. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think another way to think about that is that it's much more community driven for Web three. You know, as a Web two business. It's probably a horrible example, but like Visa could say, you know what, we're not going to support the US dollar anymore on April first, will deny all transactions priced in US dollars, And as a customer of Visa, you can go damn okay, and you can look for someone else, you can train take your business somewhere else, but that's your only option. And in a Web three world, you can propose a hard fork saying hey, we're dropping support for this, and the Web three community can look at that hard fork, can either adopt it or say, you know, I don't think we're going to go that direction, and the community just doesn't adopt the chain the change and goes off and operates on their own.
Speaker 3: I think I think I can see I can see the argument there. I think the contrast of what you're suggesting in Web two versus what you're suggesting webs free is significantly different, Like we're not going to do us already more of visa. I mean I actually want.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I actually do. Wonder if you have any like statistics or no information about this, because I mean, I think the world has seen enough public hard forks and the way most of them as far as my experience is gone, I guess the hard works I know of primarily are the ones in ethereum. The world pretty much adopts the majority of the change. And I wonder how many companies that are running chains end up doing some sort of hard fork where it's got rejected by the community, Like does that? Does that ever happen that the majority and we just don't hear about it.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I don't think so. I mean, isn't that the isn't that the background of ethereum versus ethereum classic of sorts? Obviously, I don't know. That was so long ago. I can't remember exactly how that happened.
Speaker 2: But that's definitely the community saying you know, what happened here is not okay and just rejecting out and arguably it's the same thing that happens with any hard work though that goes through. There's also still the proof of work Ethereum chain that's out there that you people are performing work to mine the coins and get value out. But it's such a small part of the majority of compared to the size the number of nodes that are being added to the current Ethereum network.
Speaker 3: Yeah, indeed, so, I mean we had the pectoralup grade recently on Aleski, one of the Ethereum test nets. Sorry I should mention if if people don't know, so, I mean that was problematic because there were there are multiple different client options you can run. This is another rabbit hole that we can run down and just give you a bit of background there. So primarily we run Aragon clients what's called Aragon to run our archive nodes, and then full notes we generally run you know, geth which is as you're probably aware that the main Ethereum client or Maine. I guess it's debatable based on what side of the fence you're on, but yeah, there there were there are essentially three. There were. There were a number of changes that happened for Pectra which were implemented correctly in some clients and not in others. Now, the deep technical understanding of it all, I couldn't go into and tell you, but but we ended up in a position where, you know, for a couple of weeks, probably slightly longer, we had notes that were going off in one direction and others were going in another direction. And I think it was a difficult time put it that way, And so I think it's I think the most important thing for these foundations is that they have, you know, all of the distributed or decentralized developers, even if they're generating, you know, even if they're developing clients, not just running nodes, you know, singing from the same hymnsheet and you know, taking the same root forward if you will. So yeah, I think that's a good example of where we've seen problems on a hard walk. And there are other examples where, you know, some other chains are like the Cosmos SDK based chains where you can't actually you can't upgrade them ahead of time. It's like another thing. Contrast it to Web two. Right, So in Web two you've got like eight weeks, I don't know something to test your new client version. Cosmos SDK, it's like on this block you upgrade, so I can't do it two blocks before, ten blocks before, a week before. No, on this block you upgrade. So it's you know, you don't get the benefit of testing and seeing how resilient that latest version of code is.
Speaker 2: Do you you know the thing that keeps going around in the back of my mind right now is security. H No, I think I am that's sort of my specialty, so I tend to get in this area very quickly. But I know that there's a lot of madness in the world right now, with things like s bombs and supply chain attacks. But so whether or not or how bad it is is a separate question. But I'm sort of curious like the comparison, like, are do you feel like malicious attackers coming in through a supply chain attack on the tools and technology that you're utilizing to you know, run your platform is significantly worse or you know, similar to what would happen if you weren't you know, while we're working at Visa. Although that's payment, so it's you know that that's sort of bad in a different angle. But you know, compared to privacy data that a web a web two app may be.
Speaker 3: Storing, that's a good question which I probably don't have an end depth answer for but I think you know you're talking to supply chain attacks, and as much of I consume or I buy some either I bring in some open source software or I buy a product from someone, and there is some kind of attack back to embedded within that.
Speaker 2: So it's whether or not you see higher supply chain attacks through say like dependencies or open source technologies that you're utilizing to manage or monitor your data center compared to the ones that would be utilized in a non Web three world. So you know, if I run my own data center, if I'm AWS or whatever and I'm using Grafana, Nagios or whatever, someone you know, no one wants to talk about using. Are they the same technologies since you have the same concerns or are they modeled differently? Are they targeted for web web three? And so do you find that the processes that you would put in place in your company would be different from the ones that would be say up and running and say a visa or another large organization.
Speaker 3: Yeah, gotch So I would say reassuringly, that's one of the areas where Web two and Web three ten to not differ all that much. I think approaches to security a fairly standard, and thankfully we've got you know, well defined external best practices that influence how we should, you know, go about doing business, both in both in Web two and Web three. You know, we've recently done Stock two audit as well, so we're fully stock too compliant and you know we're ongoing we're being audited to that. But I think there's another tick in the box that we're doing the right things, taking the right approaches, et cetera. But in terms of the tooling, I would say there's many similarities. You know, we use Graffana to monitor our nodes, report on their status, that height, how many requests per second they're managing, et cetera. So from that perspective, I think a lot of the tooling is similar. I think basically the answer to that question.
Speaker 2: Is no, there's nothing specially you're doing compared to what you would be doing if you were in any other vertical or using any different technology stack. Well, so I hitted at this before, Actually, how good are the cloud like public cloud? I hate this term public cloud supported hyperscalars uh manage blockchain solutions?
Speaker 3: You know, I've never used one, so it would be unfair of me to comment in terms of, let's say, giving them, giving you a bad impression of them. I would expect that they have good documentation based on the providers who you know, who develop them. I suspect they've got you know, good developer support and run relatively stably and were I able to you know, if I could say that about all of the blockchains and the nodes and the networks we ran, and it would be a wonderful thing. But I couldn't say that. So from that perspective, I think as an organization, if you're if you're looking to do something on blockchain that doesn't necessarily need to be public and decentralized, you know they possibly they're a good option.
Speaker 2: I'm just bringing up here in my comparison of when someone in the UK says something versus the English that Americans are supposed to understand. Ah, because there's there's quite a nice comparison chart there, But no, I think I think that's a good point, and so maybe I'll extend it a little bit. Uh. Do you find that the conversation of using hyperscalar nodes comes up or it's just like not something that's frequently talked about because I don't personally understand the use case for what they're providing, and I'm just interested that there's like a whole world that I've just never been exposed to.
Speaker 3: Well, I think, you know again, I think they're targeted toward someone who, let's you know, take any financial services company. They don't want to buy, you know, consumer hardware and run it in their data center, right. They want to go to to IBM or too Oracle, or to some you know, some big blue chip organization who's going to say, yes, you can have that bit of kit, and with that bit of kit, I'm going to give you three years unlimited on site support, free replacements, et cetera. You know, you can't there isn't There isn't there isn't a blockchain STA you could take off the shelf necessarily that has that sort of service layer wrapped around it, ready to go. And I think that's why, you know, a big enterprise type customer may look to approach an implementation with one of those managed services or not necessarily managed, but you know, broadly supported unknown stacks. I guess now I have in terms of conversations I generally get involved in integrating new blockchains and ensuring that the ones that we case two now are scaled correctly in the right locations, et cetera. So personally, I haven't been involved in those conversations. I'm sure they will happen, you know. I'm sure our sales team are covering all manner of things that I couldn't even dream up that are being discussed in the web three space. But no, not, not specifically, I haven't an approached to integrating one of those.
Speaker 2: What always scale scares me. My sales team is on the innovative side, you know that mean things that you you know, you clearly haven't developed yet, because are things that are going to be coming on the pipeline.
Speaker 3: Could we do this? Or now we've got X and Y, can't we make I don't know Z not necessarily right?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I think this goes both ways. I think there's the I think we talk a lot about this on a ventures and DevOps, So the audience is probably sick of hearing about it. If you haven't pulled your customers in to ask them where to innovate, then you're probably building things that they don't care about. But if they're innovating, then they should be ahead of you. And so I think what the important thing is is being able to move quickly once you've identified. So a sales team doing a good job would mean that they're able to figure out what they can promise that hasn't been built yet, because I mean, if they're promising things that can't be built, that's that's where the issue is.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, indeed, indeed maybe, I mean there's an element the Websuo space was full of that. I would say we used to always pull out this diagram when we first met with clients, and it was I think it's a typical accenter diagram, you know, the rope swing, where you know they this is what they wanted, this is how their requirements were gathered, this is this is what the developers built, and this was the MVP that got on it. You know, it had all the elements of a rope swing, but it ain't a rope swing.
Speaker 1: That's such a great meme if you if you haven't seen that, maybe we can put it in the show notes for you because it's just it's just so fantastic. So, Paul, one of the things I wanted to ask you is that how many different chains are you supporting at anchor?
Speaker 3: If I think about my most recent table, I think it was over one hundred cells. Now that there may be sorry, a hundred rows. Still I still make my own notes manually, right, even in the words three digital space, I'm still still making a confidence table just to keep just to keep things organized. But yeah, it's well, well over one hundred. I couldn't give you an exact number because I think even today one of my team has been finishing golf implementing one. So yeah, it's constantly evolving.
Speaker 1: I know. Wa it looks that is it's one hundred independent products that your team is supporting. And then we've already talked about the issues with hard forks and making sure that they're staying in sync and operating correctly. So you're doing that across one hundred different products, which seems like a lot to take on.
Speaker 3: It is that now there are there are various ways let's say one approaches that, and you know, let's say teams might approach that, but for the for the most part, there are there are there are only a handful, let's say, of unique clients that blockchain teams use. And so what I mean by that is, you know, Aragon is a perfect example there. We can use that for Polygon, we can use it for BMB smart chain, we can use it for ethereum, et CEPA and separate, and you know even some teams have taken Aragon and made and early I don't know. I mean it's testing prod right, So it's like an Aragon that we can use on the optimistic roll ups, et cetera, et cetera. So so there are obviously a good word used to using the web two space synergies and ways we can converge. It's lovely buzzwords. You know, how you approach things, right, So let's say, for example, you need to host an op roll up or even one of these most recent Eragon three, even the Aragon free client they've recently released. You could write a doc com post file and if you've had enough environment environment variables in that doc com post file, you could take it and run one chain with it, and then you just create another environment variable file and run a second chain and run a third chain, et cetera. So, yes, it is, it is. It is an overhead. I won't lie that. You know, obviously we're monitoring twenty four to seven we get alerts, and from that perspective, it does seem like a lot, But there are learnings from running one chain that we can overlay on another. There are ways to make certain clients behave better when they're pairing and sinking and you know, being able to stay at the tip. There are ways that we can configure clients that make them better in terms of responsiveness and latency for various requests, you know, by adjacent orbc on. All of those learnings you then roll out when you do the next integration of a similar client, et cetera, et cetera. So, yeah, it is a lot, but you know, we have to take from that what we can and reuse wherever we can.
Speaker 2: When you when you have a hundreds of one hundred products that you're supporting here, it's not like you have a multi tenant solution where you have one hundred customers and they're all utilizing your product in a consistent way. I assume you're having you have to build integrations into each of those products to be able to understand how they're working, and not all of them are using the same protocols to do the management like it's like if one company had gRPC and another company was using you know, and weird other proto buff format, and then there's h GDP, and then there's someone's using rest or some other like each each company is basically conceiving of their own protocol.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's it's a it's a good call out. So actually generally the conversation we we've had has been around, you know, the operations of blockchain nodes. Obviously, the other elements of what we do here are anchor is we you know, we we've built our own cloud native you know, many multi protocols supporting load balancer, which is you know again it's a distributed load balancer in all the locations we want to be and we're we're building out our own global network as well, and so we can there. As I mentioned, there are similarities in how we run nodes because they're similar clients. Generally it's configuration and best practice approach to making those run the right way. But in in the load balancer from the load balance aside, because obviously that serves the customer request that are coming in. We we do have to do differentiation there as well. So as you mentioned, you know, you have like an ethereum like client, so it talks roughly we call that, Oh, it's an EVM client, right, or you get some nu answers to that it's EVM light, or you know, it's EVM but only up to a certain point, so it doesn't have these other new name spaces and new mesic calls, et cetera. And we're able to, you know, we abstract from that detail of the node, you know, effectively like a schema into the load balances. So the load balancer, you know, knows what that node can speak in terms of protocols and what it can speak in terms of you know, the APIs and the actual messages within that protocol. Yeah, there's a lot that we need to have in place and maintain, and but thankfully we're at the point now where generally the changes in the load balancer level are incremental and generally the changes that we make in terms of the approach to running the nodes is a g and it's incremental, and it's built upon, you know, the knowledge that we built up out the last of years just running these nodes all the time.
Speaker 1: From my understanding, like load balancing is not load balancing as we think about it. In a Web two world, right, in a Web two world, you know it's the health check.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the health check is cool. We're pretty much okay. It's the route traffic to it. But in the Web three world, it's more than that, because you have your health check. Yeah, the service is up and available and respond it's responsive and able to take requests. But then you've got a follow up question. This node is operating, but is this node fully synchronized with the network, and if it's not, you can't route traffic to it. And then the third aspect of it is what's the request that's coming into the load balancer? For example, is this is it asking about a recent block or is it asking about a really old block that's only going to exist on archive nodes. And so now with that information, you know that there's only certain nodes that you can route this request to to give the caller the correct information back. And so that adds a whole new layer of complexity to load balancing.
Speaker 2: I've got the analogy, I think. So if we go on the databases, like could you imagine running Reddus and Cassandra and my squl and an Aurora database and elastic search and having like whatever consensus protocol you had for figuring out like which is the primary nodes, which ones are secondary, and where to route requests automatically to the appropriate shards and also manage the infrastructure for that with only using a single piece of technology rather than using you know, dedicated pieces like separate pieces. Like that's that's as I see the problem.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so maybe it would be I have many retics is what's redici red eye?
Speaker 2: You get decording the term. I think you are the first person to have.
Speaker 3: So so yeah, maybe you would have many of a particular database instance type let's call it, and then you know, many of another one and many of another one. But but yeah, I mean it's challenging. There's not a day goes by where we're not discussing what the algorithm should be to load balance requests, right, And I don't mean that in a way that you know, we're immature and we're trying to build the algorithm. It's more every day we learn something new. Every day we learn, you know, or we get a new customer who interacts with our service in a slightly different way and they do a you know, maybe they do a slightly different sequence of calls to ultimately maybe achieve the same output as a different customer, and you know what would that mean in terms of how their requests are handle coming in and how they're rooted.
Speaker 1: And I think.
Speaker 3: You know this shouldn't be taken as a failure. It's like it's an acknowledgement of effectively we don't believe there's a perfect load balancing algorithm. I mean I I don't. I'm sure that you know, some of the younger members of the team would have their own subjective opinion about that, right, But I think you know, you get to the you get to the point given the volume of requests. You know, we're talking tens and tens of thousands a second right of requests that are coming in to be at ninety nine point nine nine percent. You know that's that's achievable, perfect divaspirational. You know, we as we discuss internally, and so we have anyway to get back to the question. So, yes, yes it's complex, and yes there is. Let's say you need to have a more fine grain control of where you root a request based on a better underlying knowledge of what that request is and what it's you know, what it's intended outcome is the perfect example is the one you gave. You know, a request comes in, it's for a I don't know, let's say block one thousand nine ethereum, that's got to go to an archive. Know that's not that block is you know the state for that block and all the information is not going to be on a full node, and we have to know when it's coming in. We have to interpret that and root it to a particular archive known. So we have you know, we have ruled in the load balance of that the gear towards rooting those requests correctly.
Speaker 2: I think some people may be cheering, and I think others are gonna regret that I asked this question. Has AI had any impact on the web? Threw world for you?
Speaker 1: Where we go? There's the magic word?
Speaker 3: So you know what. I listened to the last podcast and it's interesting how you you almost tentatively or sheepishly approach having this question, you know, bringing this AI question in. So I'll be honest, right, So from a first of all standpoint, had I embraced the last oh and the last to be honest and the last start of I was in, if I'd embraced AI, I would have done stuff in half the time, and I didn't at that point, and more than anything that was, So this is just a person I'll say, I'll go on, I'll go on to bag stuff in a moment, more than anything that was, because I would needed to make sure I knew how it worked right. I was the only guy, or you know, one of a very small team doing development, and I felt like if I had I could say myself, I no, three weeks, six weeks here, But what's that going to cost me when I try and maintain this and operate it in a production environment, you know, for customers. So I shout away from it a bit there. Now at Anchor, we have embraced AI at the moment, we're learning and it is learning from us. You know, it understands blockchain, It understands that we've got a load balancer. It understands the end goal of what we're trying to do. But there are still some instances where we're asking it questions and we get a confident answer that we know isn't right. So yeah, we're just working to try and feed it more and take effectively take away some of those you know, easy to answer questions or easy to diagnose problems, and we allow the moniker do that for us, and we can ask a questions to try and assisters troubleshooting and assistance with helping the customer. But you know, it's early days, and I can see it rapid. It's already evolved massively, and I can see it only you know, the curve is exponential with these things, right. I can see it getting much more capable as the months go on, and I think we'll be levering leveraging it more and more. We like it, and I think used for the right thing, it's a great fol.
Speaker 1: When you make statements like that, it seriously makes me question if I might be an AI, because I'm always super confident and also at the same time usually super wrong.
Speaker 3: You're just another person on the internet, right, So what do you use.
Speaker 1: For what's your tool stack from an opside look like? Are you guys using a lot of terror form answerable? Do you do Subernetes stuff?
Speaker 3: What's that world look like? Yeah? Absolutely so, we we do. We use terraform. We on the node op side generally, we've we've we've created our own template if you will, that we consume and create terraform from that we then go off and manage the state on the hardware through if you see what I mean. So it's similar to what I mentioned before about if you have enough, if you have a dot com post file with enough environment variables, you can spin up any number of networks. And we've done a similar thing in terms of how we interact with how we'd launch nodes based on using terraform to do that launcher, but having this template in place to simplify things effectively, and yeah, we use answerable, we use all day long. We use a w X you know, to schedule playbooks running across hosts et cetera, you know, to push out security updates and that kind of thing. But yeah, we we split it. So we have some nodes that are you know, fully if not, if not close to fully automated, and we have others where our preferences to effectively approach the bear metal manually and set up the node in such a way because it's so different from the other ones, you know, we set it up in such a way that we can you know, do it right for a start, and then obviously create our own documentation off the back of that about how to maintain that so so yeah, we do. We do use quite a bit of Hashi cup stuff. I think the last podcast I listened to I was I was reading about open Tofu after that because someone was talking about open Tofu quite a bit, so I was actually reading about that this morning. So yeah, Hashi Cup stuff. And then in terms of other automation, generally it's running oh sorry, kubernettes. You mentioned we do run kubernettes, not not for our not for the RPC nodes. I would say, we use it in other area of the areas of the business. So where we want you know, bear metal close to bear metal performance, least latency, high high capability in terms of serving requests, will generally, you know, either do it via the auto deployer, which is which is powered by which we use Nomad behind another Hashi Court product, or will do them manually. And then if it's a lighter client and you know, recently launch like a small test net that we don't expect to run for ages, we'll use Kubernetes. So and you know, there are other areas of the business that also use Kubernetes outside of the note operations. So so yeah, we use quite a few of those orchestration tools and Hashi Court products.
Speaker 1: And it seems like there's probably an adoption phase for those as well. Whenever you bring on a new chain doing like doing things manually, kind of hand curating it to figure out what the best the best set of configs and the right things to be monitoring and tuning for this are. And then as you learn that in from you start turning that into turning it over to your automation.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely that. Yeah, so one of the things actually, that was my surprise this morning. So I've been working on new blockchain integration and so usually when I do the manual one, I've deliberately set it up so system D or Docker doesn't restart it automatically, because I want to know when that from the point I started. I want to see it fail and you know, see what that longevity is if you will. And yeah, that was my surprise this morning, Like four nodes were down and I was like, oh, why are these down? Surely I've set these to restart, And it's because I'd set them to not restart so I could see the point at which they fell over. But yeah, it is an element of that what we generally do as part of the integrations now and this is you know, something I've put in place since I started. So we want to make sure that we hit if we're going to do manual nodes, and we agree that that's going to be, you know how we run most of the nodes, we always have at least one or two automated nodes as well. And that's simply because as long as we have the template in place to do the automation, we can scale at will. You know, we can just come up and put another template and with various variables and we can scale some others. So yeah, we don't like to leave ourselves in a position where we've kind of got nowhere to go, or we have to set up another host manually in a specific way to run this particular blockchain note. So yeah, yeah, it's it's exactly that approach.
Speaker 2: So where we left off last time with web how Web three is going. We had n f T s and I think the general population failed to understand n fts in any capacity. So that went well, But I am curious, like what the what, what the what? Where the innovation is at today? Like you know, where where you see that either where it's currently at or you know what's coming next that is super interesting for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's that's a great question. And you know, similar to the break, the break that I had when you know, when I wasn't working with Peter and he came to web three. When I asked him, or what's that? What's happened? You know, has anything changed? Actually his responsible were they're just Linux services, right, And I was like, surely, there's clearly there's something more than that. But of course, the you know, the the L two space had evolved in that period where I, you know, hadn't been working explicitly in blockchain. But I think I think while that's while that might not necessarily be where we see the greatest innovation, I mean I might be wrong. I see that for me and my team, I see that as as a great learning opportunity because there are lots of you know, new toolkits that are available and new ways of running L two's and you know, soon to be L three's, and who knows how how many layers that we're going to see and so from so from my perspective as well as let's call them the the general integrations we do for blockchain networks, it's it's good for me and my team to have access and be exposed to these layer twos because you know, it's a good learning opportunity. They also, you know, we run this role up as a service where you can literally rock up, define new shame parameters, and launch your own blockchain if you want to, as an L two. And yeah, I think that that makes it so accessible for people. So I think that is where we're going to see a lot of innovation, certainly, you know, for me and my team, I think it's where we're going to learn a lot more and have access to these other technologies, other development stacks, et cetera.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you've you've you've gotten to the point where you're actually outside of my area of understanding when you say like layer two or layer three, we're talking about like lightning network, Like what does that actually mean in the context of a blockchain?
Speaker 3: And and L two allows you to run blockchain which at various intervals generates and stores state in a transaction on an L one. So a lot of these are used ethereum as there L one, which is effectively the the data availability layer. So if you needed to, let's say, bootstrap another L two node, you could based on the state that's been stored on the L one. I'll be honest, this is going past some of my understandings. But effectively, at L two allows you to sort of, you know, branch off and have transactions between wallets et cetera, et cetera, and all of that happens on the L two and periodically it then records that state on the L one. Now, the differences, the reason for this is, you know, obviously there are you can only do a certain number of transactions per second based on the block time and the size of the blocks on each of the blockchains. Now, if you separate all that transaction activity onto an L two and only at various intervals record that state onto the L one, it means that you've got less going on on the L one, and therefore, in theory, you can have many more transactions with fewer confirmations and the full transactions on the L one. So people call it block space, block space, lots more block space and lots more transactions. But I shouldn't say well, because someone might say you don't know what you're talking about, so don't go on these podcasts again.
Speaker 2: Well, I think we'll definitely let you back on. But I think we're not the official keepers of that, but I will I will ask you here. I always had this fear that it's sort of like you have your enterprise service bus and now you're building some micro services on top of that, and they're storing intermediary state in memory. Like for these higher layers, there must be some risk with the layer collapsing in some way or creating a conflict between different isolated parts that are on the same layer that would cause a conflict on that based chain, And like, how does that get resolved or is that even a problem that is concerned.
Speaker 3: That's a deeply technical question which I'm trying to think the best way to dodge.
Speaker 2: So you can say anything, because I honestly still to this day, don't have the answer to this question.
Speaker 3: But yeah, so I should do the AI trick, right, I should just I should have just responded confidently. Yeah, yeah, so, I mean, I'll be honest, I haven't seen instances of that problem. I'm certain that they must exist, but if you will, I could almost theorize how in my work, But maybe that's a bit dangerous. But you know, even on an l one you can get to a point where a longer chain is submitted with a great number of blocks, and therefore it unwinds some of the other blocks in the chain, and you know that everyone follows the longer chain, right, So my understanding is it would work the same way with an L two. You know, there could be a point at which the state hadn't been recorded, and therefore it kind of reflects back to the state prior to that, and then you build back up to what is this next state that it needs to be in terms of the transactions that need to occur, et cetera. But a note to self, I'm going to do research on that one.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, there's the canonical and you worked in payments, so maybe there's some insight here. Like you don't want to have to have a consistent state amongst all customer all users in the world that have a visa credit card, you know, if they're making a transaction, you want to bucket them. So like if you're in bank processing world, you want to allow people to send money to each other. Maybe there's a regionality, so your L two's only exist in like in one country, in the likelihood of cross country transactions is low. And when that happens, then you have to ensure that you have a consistent understanding of what the l one chain is. But other than that, you just, you know, you risk it because you're blocking transactions in some way that are happening to that chain outside and you can't fully trust that because someone could be doing something in one of those other you know, independent same layer. But I see that there are some opportunities there. But like as you said, you know, we can theorize, but we're not the experts on this. That's fine, I got it.
Speaker 1: It's a it's a deep, deep, deep rabbit hole.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, well indeed, And you know, I think I think abstracting from the technical complexities of building a blockchain client and a you know, consensus mechanism, that's what those technical people are for, I would say. But yeah, right, it's a great question.
Speaker 1: I think that's a way of saying, it's someone else's problem.
Speaker 3: I hire someone to solve that for me, you know, so I don't have to know I see the problems when they're not necessarily how they intended to solve them.
Speaker 1: You know, you've got deep experience both in Web two and Web three, So if you could share one piece of a Web two learning with the Web three crowd. What would that be?
Speaker 3: So less haste, more speed. I think that that kind of comes back to the point I made earlier on about rigor around processes, testing, you know, time to adopt new versions, et cetera. That kind of thing. I think. You know, there are there are great innovations and you know, great inventions in the Web three space. But I think I think, yeah, that we won and even organizationally, we should afford ourselves the time to do them properly. And yeah, you know, I mean that's that's kind of what I've been doing and saying since I since I came into anchor, you know, for me, right, So imagine for note operations. Look, I don't care that you can update sixteen nodes in five seconds. That is not That is not what I'm here to do. I want to know that there's at least X number of nodes online at all times in these locations. So you do them one at a time, slowly, sequentially, but make sure you do it right and it all happens. So, yeah, that that would be my learning from Web two to work three, less hate, more space.
Speaker 2: I think there's a corollary here because one of the I think you mentioned this earlier on in the episode, that one of the ideas with Web three is let's forget everything we did with Web two and like start all over again. But there have been innovations I think in Web two in the last twenty years that even before that that were discarded that would benefit people to sort of pay attention with. And I think there's this aspect of experience from cross industry. And I see that for like a lot of blockchain companies are like only hiring, you know, you must have blockchain experience, must have you know, Web three app development experience. And I'm like, okay, but for sure experience outside of that would be really useful. And I think especially around the processes, it's in a lot of ways, it's still software development, it's still product management, it's still you know, business intelligence. And I hate that term BI, but you know, I'll use it here as an example what you can pull from other companies. So I really like that, and I am I'm dying to hear the corollary to Will's question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that flip the question around what is one thing that Web two could take away from Web three?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean there was, Yeah, I mean do you mean specifically when we're like a particular sector or it's or generally I suppose, I mean, you know, so the flip the flip. The flip to the answer is why why wouldn't you just test everything in production? Right? What do you mean? What do you mean less speed? You know, I remember, I remember even in the Web two I mean, you know we did. We did in various roles in the past. I won't going into which ones they were. You know, we've we've we've done tests in production which where we literally dragged the business over the line and got them to let us put this thing in production and do the test. So I think I think on both sides. You know, Web three can learn from Web two in terms of more rigor around pro is, you know, affording themselves the time to do things correctly and write. And similarly Web two can learn from Web three in that regard, you know, be more open to innovation, embrace it more and and you know, take and take more risks. In some cases.
Speaker 1: It goes back to the joke I made a long time ago that true ci c D is VIM on the Pride server.
Speaker 3: You know, my brother would love that. He's he always goes on and on still about them. And I was like, have you tried visual Studio and he was like, no, you know vs coast. I remember the first time I saw VIM and I was watching over some someone's shoulder. It was a chef screen and I was looking at him, going, what is he doing? He's going to delete this slide? And because I was used to using NANO, I thought it was going to be an absolute disaster, But so there actually is.
Speaker 2: Maybe a slightly a different tangent. I I ser to see this pattern where malicious attackers are utilizing public APIs associated with blockchain companies technology to store smuggle out encrypted data from their victims. So they'll take data from a victim's environment, they'll encrypt it with the public version of a key that they have, and then upload it to a public blockchain. And I'm curious if you've heard about this, if you've seen something like this and it's a known problem, Like, I don't know what there's a solution of this, honestly, and just like what can be done? Because I feel like it's sort of these things where in the past we had lots of these data sharing sites where you can drop a file or someone hirates a movie or something or some music and puts it on there, and then they always end up getting shut down and because they're a source for this illegal content. And I don't know that there's something obvious that can be done with watchain technologies out there, which you have a public ledger in a lot of cases.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's a good that's a good one. And we see, in fact, we see more and more blockchain based storage solutions coming, you know, as the month and years go by. Honestly, I mean, we need to sort the users out, don't we. That's the problem. That's someone you know, you're not gonna be able to find me tomorrow, Howards, right, because someone's going to have hacked my computer and the encrypted my data and put it on a blockchain network, can't they now have said that? But yeah, I think I think the problem it's a pepcac right. The problem exists between the keyboard and the chair in that instance. Now, if we could stop users being if we could stop users being taken advantage of and having this information stored, and that's the root cause for me, and that's what we should go off and fix. I think in terms of because I would say I would champion you know, the blockchain space doing these you know, public accessible data availability layers and hosting solutions. I think it's I think it's a good thing.
Speaker 1: There was one and I can't remember the exact details of it, but you'll, I think you'll appreciate this one. There was a similar strategy, but instead of taking the data and uploading it to the blockchain, they would take it and then submit it as a transaction to the blockchain. But intentionally price is so low that it would never get mined. So now the transaction exists on the chain, but it never gets written to a block so you can't really track it down that way, and you read it.
Speaker 2: Out you read the data out there because the transactions are being traced and monitored in the network. And then when it gets dumped, it's not on the chain. You know it's gone, and so you have to actually look at the analytics data of what had happened. It's not even you know, available for all that is ingenious. I hope there aren't any you know, people with malicious intent that are watching this podcast.
Speaker 1: Oh, entirely unlikely.
Speaker 3: You never know, You never know yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It went way over my head.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's probably if you do enough times, it will be sitting there that someone will like eventually it's on the it's in the queue to actually get turned into a block. I mean, there was a it was a great post a while ago about making databases out of things that do not that should not be a database. So one of them was TC using icmp pings and so you put some data in the ic ic m P header and you send it to a random IP on the internet and then you know, you'll get the ping back with the payload and you can you know, use it and so like in femoral database at that point, and I like, that's super unreliable. But this is this is like an extension of this is like a whole system, you know, built in design to actually utilize this data in a reliable way.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Could you just need it to hold the data until you get out of the building or whatever.
Speaker 2: Oh, I mean in a lot of these cases, it's not a you haven't trespassed like physically to right, Yeah, yeah, you just basically you know, you've deployed some malicious tool to through MPM or pipe or anything else someone downloads that they lost their credentials, or you infiltrate an organization and you have some keys to the database and you upload those automatically. You just sit there querying all of the block scanners that you know report transactions for any single chain, and you're just like, oh, there it is, there's my there's my transaction. You don't even have to pay for anything, right, I mean, you could put like a miniscool amount of money associated with the particular chains, you at least get the transaction started, and other than that, you know it will never complete and you don't have to worry about it if you just pull it off and you just scan and get the data.
Speaker 1: That seems like a good time to move on to picks. Now that we've shared that information with everyone.
Speaker 2: Well, if it's pick time, then I guess I'm I'm up first bringing on. Okay, so a few episodesis sodes ago. I started sharing my keyboard and I think I got some questions about what the heck I'm actually using. So first of all, let this be the official pick for me. I use a Divorac keyboard programmer Divorac on Linux, where I've remapped all the keys as well, So I highly recommend doing this, Like if you work in multiple currencies, change like the dollar on the on the keyboard layout to also do the euro sign and maybe the yen or one like whatever you're utilizing. Like it's just so much easier every single time you want one of those, Like imagine if you had a magic emoji button on your keyboard. I've basically done that, but I also want to share the keyboard because I absolutely love this. So what I have is, uh, it's a logic Logitech K two ninety five silent keyboard, and this thing is so quiet, like I can type on it while I'm on the podcast and no one will ever know. That's how quiet this is. And that's important because if I'm too loud, well, other people that I live with will find out exactly what I'm doing whenever I'm doing because I am an angry typer.
Speaker 1: Yes, cool deal, Well what'd you bring for a pick?
Speaker 3: So I inherited a number of records recently. You know, if there's kids listening these big black discs twelve thirty three because because my father passed away and so we sold his stereo system. You know, an old an old silver techniques thing it was, and so I've been I've been looking because I wanted to get myself a record player. So that that's my pick for today. So I think for two reasons. Number one is like we need to not lose the tactility, right. I know a lot of people everyone's all about digital and web three and all this wonderful thing, but I think we're slowly losing possessions as people and and I don't think that's that In some cases that's great and others I don't think it's that great a thing. So yeah, I want to I want to get a record player, which is to play these old records that I have and I may increase my collection. Now the particular record player is the interesting bit. So I thought, I try and look for something that was quirky, you know, new different, and you don't get that a lot with record players, right, it's usually and a stylus. Now I found this record player by a company in the Netherlands, and I think they're called mini Ot or Miniot, and they have a record player which can you can have vertical or horizontal and it actually plays the backside of the disc. So if you imagine it plays it counterclockwise, and the need thing is it scans the entire record, so you can almost use it as a CD. Once it's done a scan of the record, you can skip tracks, you know, forward, backwards, et cetera. So, yeah, my pick is this quirky record player that I'm going to treat myself to hopefully in the next couple of months. That's wild.
Speaker 1: So will it still let you play the Beatles White Album backwards so you can get the satanic messages?
Speaker 3: That's a good question. Well, it has this feature where you can push it to place, and maybe it allows you to drag it backwards. I don't know, that's a good question.
Speaker 1: I'll let you know.
Speaker 2: I'll let you know, right. I wonder are there turntables that let you determine the direction of the wheel? I wonder if that's the thing.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It was just a it was a rumor I heard back when I was a kid about the Beatles Wide Album. All right, cool. So for my pick, it's funny because we didn't plan this, but I'm actually picking a tool called super Whisper super Whisper dot com. It's audio input, so you don't have to type at all, and you don't have to learn a new keyboard layout or deal with RSI. But it's actually surprisingly accurate, you know, because like every phone and computer now has some sort of voice transcription thing, and never in my life have I used the word doc. But super Whisper knows exactly what I'm trying to say, and it doesn't. Really It's done a really good job and you don't have to, at least in my experience with it. You don't have to slow down or just give it bites at a time, you know, you can just have a full fledged streaming thought process and it captures it very, very accurately. So it's been fun to play with and also will work locally so you can set it up so that it doesn't send whatever you're telling it back to their servers for training or storage or ransomware or whatever they want to hould you hostage for cool all right, Paul, thank you so much, man, this has been a super cool conversation. I'm super excited that you came on and chatted with us about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my pleasure. Thanks very much for the time, and apologies for the ins and issues, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah for sure. Well, yeah, you got to come back on and let us know how the record player works. So we've got to do that part anyway. Yeah, it sounds right cool, right, I'm born. Thank you so much, appreciate everything, and for all of our listeners, thank you for listening. And we'll see y'all next week.