Speaker 1: Pastor Rick Warren often says, you were made by God and for God, and until you understand that, life will never make sense. Welcome to Pastor Rick's Daily Hope.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 1: In our series called God's Vision for the Rest of your Life, Rick continues in his effort to help you discover the unique purpose and vision that the Lord has for your life. Now, in just a few moments, we're going to tell you how to get a copy of the brand new Daily Hope twenty twenty one Prayer Journal based on the theme God's Great Adventure for You, a great resource to help make your time in prayer the best it can be. Go to Pastorick dot com to find out more, or text the word daily to eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four. That's Pastorick dot com. Or the word daily to eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four. Here's Pastor Rick Warren with the final part of a message called learning to Live Wisely.
Speaker 3: Now there's a third key if you want to learn wisdom. First, every day I listen to God for a very short time. I just read the Bible or listen to the Bible connect that's the l Then I enlist some friends and get some wise people around me in my life for input that encourage me keep me going. The A stands for ask questions and accept correction. If you were going to be wise in life, you're gonna become a wise woman. If you're going to become a wise man, if you're gonna be known that guy's wise, you're gonna have to learn how to ask questions wise questions, and you're gonna have to learn how to accept correction. Look up here on the screen. The Bible says people's thoughts can be like a deep well, but someone with understanding can find the wisdom there where it's everybody's got something to teach you. Everybody has something to teach you, but it's like deep water in a well, and you've got to draw it out of them. How do you draw the wisdom out of every person? By learning to ask smart questions? I can teach you how to do this in the next six weeks. I can teach you how to ask smart questions. I have a list of them that I use myself, and as I've traveled all around the world, I can learn. You can learn from anybody if you know the right questions everybody's brilliant, just on different subjects, and everybody's ignorant.
Speaker 2: Just on different subjects.
Speaker 3: You know some things that I don't know, And if I had time to sit with you, you could teach me if I know the right questions to ask. I know some things you don't know, and if you knew the right questions, I can teach you some things you don't know. The person sitting next to you right now they know some things that neither of us know. You can learn from anybody if you know the right questions. And so asking questions and accepting correction is a key to wisdom. The Bible says, by the way, you know, as I've traveled around the world, I've talked to I've asked questions of taxicab drivers and prime ministers, and they both taught me. I've learned from from a hotel maids, and I've learned from presidents. Because you can learn from anybody if you ask questions. Proverbs eighteen fifteen says this, intelligent people are always open to new ideas. In fact, they look for them. That's a sign of intelligence that you look for new ideas. You're an entrepreneur, you're an innovator. You're always looking for a new idea. That's a sign of intelligence. But when you look for them, one of the keys is listening. If you don't listen, then you're not going to grow. One of the things I've learned is that I have never learned anything while I'm talking. If my mouth is moving, I'm not learning. I'm only learning when i'm listening. You don't learn when you're talking, You learn when you're listening. So you got to learn to listen.
Speaker 2: You know. I've done an.
Speaker 3: Awful lot of interviews ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, BBC, CNN, on and on and on, and what I've noticed is that the interview shows have changed. They're no longer about the guests. They're about the interviewer. And the whole goal is the interviewer wants to draw attention to himself. The interviewer wants to explain his or her opinions, and you're just the foil. I long for the old Larry King days.
Speaker 2: Larry King.
Speaker 3: I didn't agree with everything, but you know what, Larry King he would ask a question and then he'd let you talk. And he realized that the interview people weren't going to listen, Larry King, they were going to listen to all of the different fascinating guests that he had and learning from them. Larry said in an interview show, if the host is talking fifty percent of the time, something is terribly wrong. The host listens the most, the host talks the least. The host sets up the question and then just listens. That's what a good TV host does. It's same thing is true in a small group. The host listens the most, the host talks the least. So if you're shy, you should ask to be the host of your small group. If you don't like to talk, you want to be the host. The host of a group is not the teacher. The host is the one who says, now the next question is, and you read it, and then you let everybody else talk and you don't not say anything.
Speaker 2: How cool is that?
Speaker 3: So the host listens the most, You're not the teacher, You're just listening. What I'm talking about is leadership. All leaders are learners. For thirty years, I've been training leaders around the world, business leaders, church leaders, government leaders in one hundred and sixty four countries. All leaders are learners. The moment you stop learning, you stop leading. Growing businesses require growing businessmen. The moment you stop growing your business stops growing. Growing families require growing parents. Growing churches require growing pastors. Anything that wants to grow, the leader has to be outgrowing it or the growth stops. Does that make sense? So all leaders are learners. I'm constantly learning. I learn from churches that are smaller than saddle back. I learned from churches that are larger than saddleback. I learn from people who agree with us. I learn from people who disagree with us. I learn from enemies. I learn from critics. That makes me wiser than my critics. Why Because I learned from them, so I know what I know. Then I learn what they know. All they know is what they know. They don't learn from me, But I learned from them. So it makes me smarter because I learn what I know, Plus I.
Speaker 2: Learn what they know.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Pastor Rick's Daily Hope. Rick will be back in just a moment with the rest of today's lesson. If you've missed any part of today's teaching, you can listen online anytime at pastorick dot com. That's pastorick dot com.
Speaker 4: If you want to make your time in prayer the best it can be. Then you're going to want to get a copy of the brand new twenty twenty one Daily Hope Prayer Journal. This year's theme, God's Great Adventure for You, will help you tap into God's power and presence when you learn how to pray with passion and purpose. Covered in soft vegan leather with full color pages, this prayer journal has sections to pray for specific people and situations, as well as space to express your gratitude and personal prayer requests to God. Each page is beautifully designed and filled with inspiring Bible verses, photos and artwork. The God's Great Adventure for You Prayer Journal is a spiritual growth tool designed to help you enjoy a vibrant prayer life, connect with God, and establish consistent daily prayer time. When you give a gift to help daily hope take the certain hope of Jesus to people around the world, We'll send you the all new twenty twenty one Daily Hope Prayer Journal to say thanks. Quantities are limited, so don't wait. You can give right now by going to Pastorick dot com or by calling eight hundred six hundred five zero zero four. We'll say thanks by sending you the brand new Daily Hope Prayer Journal. That's Pastorick dot com. Or call eight hundred six hundred at five zero zero four.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Pastor Rick's Daily Hope once again. Here's Pastor Rick Warren.
Speaker 2: Are and learn.
Speaker 3: How to learn wisdom is remember, remember, and reinforce what I learned. You can't just learn it. You got to remember it. And you can't just remember it, You've got to reinforce it because if you don't remember and reinforce it, you end up having to learn the same lesson over and.
Speaker 2: Over and over. Have you ever done that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you'd had to relearn the same lesson over and over and over and over because you may keep making the same stupid mistake because you don't remember and you don't reinforce, which, by the way, is why we hand out these little handout things every week. The United States Air Force says you forget ninety to ninety five percent of everything you hear within seventy two hours. That's the most depressing statistic possible for a pastor, because what it means is by Wednesday, you're good have forgotten everything I've just taught you. You're not gonna remember. Shoot, you don't remember what I said last week. I don't remember what I said last week, and I taught it five times. If you the shortest pencil is longer than the longest memory. So you can be sitting there looking all real spiritual, but if you're not writing down, it's just going whoo right through your mind in one air and out the other.
Speaker 2: We don't remember. You have to retain it to remember.
Speaker 3: It so you can review it, so you can apply it. And that's why we do these things.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: The Bible says this about wisdom Proverbs twenty two. Listen and I'll teach you what the whys have said. Study their teachings, and you will be glad if you remember them and can quote them. Now, I want you to circle the four verbs in that In that sense, listen, study, remember, and quote. Those are marks of wisdom. Did you know that memorizing actually improves your brain power? Doesn't even matter what your memorize, it improves your brain. You could go memorize the phone directory, but memory is actually like an exercise for your mind. You get smarter when you attempt to memorize something. People said, well, I can't remember anything Oh, yes, you can. You remember what's important to you. You remember what you love, You remember what you what matters to you. For instance, a lot of people say, I can't memorize the Bible, but they can give you every baseball or football statistic for the last season. Or I can't remember the Bible, but they can quote all kinds of lyrics songs, popular songs. Or they can give you a recipe for something, or they can give you the stock market quotes, or they can give you statistics on something they care about. You remember what's important to you, and if the truth becomes important to you, you will remember it. You will remember, and you will rehearse it, and you will reinforce it, and you will review it in your life. Not only interesting studies have shown not only when you memorize something does it help you improve your memory. Memory helps you improve your memory, It actually helps every other area in your brain. The same time, synapses are developed and blood flows and your brain has a plasticity. That it's the opposite of Alzheimer's. When you stretch your brain, you Social relationships and memorizing are two things that actually are preventatives from Alzheimer's and other dementias in life, so you want to have that in your life. So in each weekend, we're gonna memorize together, and you'll not only be closer to God, but you'll have a healthier brain and your wife will thank you for that. Now, people say why should I memorize the Bible. I'll tell you why, because every time you need the Bible's truth, you don't have one near you. You go to work this week, somebody's going to criticize you and they're going to say something mean, and you're gonna feel discouraged.
Speaker 2: You need to be encouraged.
Speaker 3: There are thousands of verses in the Bible that would encourage you, but if you don't have it memorized, they can't come to mind. Well, I know somewhere in the Bible there's a verse that would encourage me. But if you've got it memorized, God can bring it to mind.
Speaker 2: Go pop.
Speaker 3: He brings to the mind and goes, oh wow, I'm not so discouraged anymore. Memorized verses are the best thing for overcoming temptation, because when you start to be tempted to be jealous, or you start to be tempted to be insecure, or you start to be tempted to lose your patience, or to get angry, or to lust, or any any kind of temptation in life. You start temptation to overeat or over exaggerat, or if you've got a verse, memorize for that, God could go boom and brings it to mind, and it helps you resist the temptation. Now, if you don't have anything in there, there's nothing for God to bring to mind, so it actually helps.
Speaker 2: You that way.
Speaker 3: Here's what the Bible says proverbs for don't lose sight of my words. That means, memorize them, retain them, let them penetrate deep within your heart. If you put it in your mind, God can cause you to think about it seriously, for they bring life and radiant health to anyone who discovers their meaning. So you want radiant health, you want life. Then you need to fill your mind with the truth. Let it penetrate your heart so God can bring it to mind. That's the fourth thing we're gonna do. The fifth thing we're gonna do the next next week is the fifth thing on learning to be wise, and it is this The end is now do it.
Speaker 2: Now? Do it?
Speaker 3: Okay? I listen to the truth. I enlist friends to discuss the truth. I ask questions about the truth, I remember and reinforce the truth. And now I do the truth. You don't just talk about it. You gotta do it, because if you don't do it, you're not wise, no matter how much you know of the Bible.
Speaker 2: I mean, I told you last week because.
Speaker 3: Of my back surgery, and I was unable to do all the exercise, and I gained about ten pounds this fall, and I thought, you know, I'm gonna get this back off. I'm going to get these pounds back off. And so let's say I go home and I pull out one of my favorite diet and exercise books, and tomorrow I sit back in my lazy boy chair.
Speaker 2: To read the Word about die had.
Speaker 3: An exercise, and I get my Guacamolean chips, my ham sandwich, and my thirty six ouncer. Okay, and I'm reading, and I'm going, this is so inspiring.
Speaker 2: I love this.
Speaker 4: I did.
Speaker 2: Look, man, look at that guy. Look at the abs on that guy.
Speaker 3: I love that picture. Oh Man, that's me, oh man. And have a little more guacamole, you know. And that is such a good passage. I think I'm gonna underline that passage in the book. I'm gonna highlight it. In fact, I'm gonna write a little note out to the side and say this is good, and you know, and write out in fact this passage here on getting in shape. It's so good, I'm gonna memorize it. But if I stay in a lazy boy chair, it doesn't matter. I'm a fool. I'm fooling myself. I'm deceiving myself because I'm reading the word. I'm pract I'm listening to the word, but I'm not doing the word, and it's self deception. Here's what the Bible says. Look at the here in your outline, James, Chapter one. Don't deceive yourselves by just listening to the word. Instead, put it into practice. If you listen to the word but you don't put it into practice, you're like people who look in a mirror and see themselves, but once they walk away, they forget what they look like. But if you look closely into the perfect law that sets people free, that's the Bible. If you look closely at the Bible and you keep on paying attention to it, and you don't forget it, but you put it into practice, you will be blessed. Notice the blessing comes We're not reading from doing these other things. You will be blessed by God in what you do. I said it earlier. Wisdom is a choice. You can choose to be wise. Happiness is a choice. Being close to God is a choice. Being honest is a choice. So I just shared with you the five ways to become wise for the rest of your life. Question, are you going to do anything about it? Are you gonna now do it? Are you gonna do anything about it?
Speaker 2: He said no, that was a nice message. Let's go home.
Speaker 3: If you're not gonna do anything about what I just told you, I just wasted an hour of your life, and I just wasted my breath. God does not bless good intentions. God blesses wise choices, and God says, it's your move, it's your choice. Will you do the wise thing?
Speaker 2: Father?
Speaker 3: I want to thank you for everybody who's here today, those who are watching online, those in our venues, those in our campuses. Your word is very clear that you have blessed us with so many blessings, and you have promised so many benefits. It will simple we learn to be wise I pray that many people here today will not just listen, but will take these five.
Speaker 2: Steps to l ear in to be wise. If you've never.
Speaker 3: Opened your life to Jesus Christ, said, Jesus Christ, come into my life right now, make yourself real to me, say, I want to learn to love you and trust you. And I don't understand it all, but God, I want to begin a new relationship with you this new year.
Speaker 2: Father.
Speaker 3: For those who prayed this prayer, I commit as a pastor, and I commit this church to helping them and to helping each of us become wiser.
Speaker 2: In the days ahead.
Speaker 3: I pray that you'll protect them from distractions and disturbances and delays and difficulties, protect their hearts and minds from conflict. And I pray that together we may become wiser. We could experience all you want to experience, and that we would all experienced what on earth we're here for.
Speaker 2: Pray this in Jesus' name. Amen.
Speaker 3: Hi, everybody, this is Rick, and I hope you enjoyed today's broadcast. You know, if you just prayed that prayer for the very first time, or you just recommitted your life to Jesus again today, would you let me know about it. There's something real about sharing your commitment. So write me Rick at pastor Rick dot com and say, Rick, I prayed that prayer of commitment. I gave my life to Christ. And I'll send you some material that will help you on your journey with Jesus.
Speaker 2: And I'll also pray for you. God bless you.
Speaker 1: This is Pastor Rick's Daily Hope. We're so happy that you've chosen to study along with us today. If you'd like to receive rix free daily devotional, just go to Pastororrick dot com and sign up right now. Rick will be back in a moment to close out our time today. But first, if you want to make your time in prayer the best it can be, then you're going to want to get a copy of the brand new twenty twenty one Daily Hope Prayer Journal. This year's theme, God's Great Adventure for You, will help you tap into God's power and presence when you learn how to pray with passion and purpose. Covered in soft vegan leather with full color pages, this prayer journal has sections to pray for specific people and situations, as well as space to express your gratitude and personal prayer requests to God. Each page is beautifully designed and filled with inspiring Bible versus photo work and artwork. The God's Great Adventure for You. Prayer Journal is a spiritual growth tool designed to help you enjoy a vibrant prayer life, connect with the Lord, and establish a consistent daily prayer time. When you give a gift to help Daily Hope take the certain Hope of Jesus to people around the world, will send you the all new twenty twenty one Daily Hope Prayer Journal to say thanks. Quantities are limited, so don't wait to get your copy of this great resource. Just call eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four or go to Pastorick dot com to get yours. That's eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four or Pastorick dot com. Here's Pastor Rick with a letter from one of our listeners.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 3: I want to share with you a very special testimony from one of our listeners named Marquita, and thanks to Daily Hope and your support, she recently asked Jesus Christ to be the leader of her life. Here's a story. So, Pastor Rick, I wanted to let you know that I have prayed the prayer salvation that you included in the Deepening the Eyes of Faith message. I've been listening to your messages for years. In fact, my child wouldn't even be here today if it weren't for your words. You wrote there may be accidental parents, but there are no accidental children. Well, I've given birth to a beautiful baby girl, and she's the light of my life. In fact, it now hurts to remember a time that I was fighting to decide whether I was going to have her or not. But I repeated your words throughout my pregnancy. There are accidental parents, but they're no accidental children. And although I'm a single mom today, with the support of my family, we're thriving. I want to make sure that she grows up to find her purpose and to serve God. So thanks for renewing my faith in God. And as I still try to find and fulfill my purpose, please pray for me and my child. Wow, Marquita, you are so right. God does have a plan and a purpose for every single baby. There are no accidental babies. So I want to take a moment right now and just pray for you in this broadcast. Pray for you and for your daughter. Lord, I'm asking you right now to put your hand of protection, your hand of blessing, your hand of guidance on Marquita and her daughter. And I'm praying for both of them to know your purpose, to feel your presence, to discover your power, to live in your plan for.
Speaker 2: Each of their lives. In Jesus' name. Amen.
Speaker 1: If you'd like to let Rick know how this broadcast has blessed you, you can write him at Rick at pastor Rick dot com. That's Rick at pastor rick dot com. Be sure to join us again next time as we look into God's word for our daily hope. This program is sponsored by Pastor Rick's Daily Hope and your generous financial support.