Speaker 1: This is the twelfth season of Inside the Paint. I've now done this show straight through my twenties thirteen different times. We have gotten up here to talk about Kansas basketball teams, because the first season was technically about two different teams, and here we are all of these teams and landon you back for what this is year seven?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: I think I think so, so you are back and maybe better than ever or maybe past your expiration date. We'll find out this season. But there is absolutely question every year, out with the Nick and in with the new because we have the third component of this show is a completely new voice. How should I I don't know how I should do this. I don't even remember how I introed you and Nick seven years ago? Like what's the best way? Should I just like give him the floor? Or do you want to make opening remarks?
Speaker 3: I said give him the floor. I think I think he's I mean, I think everyone knows pretty much who it is at this point, so I think he can say his own thing, as I also preface it with ten and so so both both is good?
Speaker 1: All right? Well, then then Cam welcome aboards Inside the Paint. You can have the floor to talk about who you are? What the how excited you are for this show? Because we are stoked to have you somebody who might challenge me for loudness on the show, which is which is two thumbs up for me?
Speaker 2: Wow, I mean that is.
Speaker 1: Ah.
Speaker 2: I have a lot of people that I'm probably gonna disappoint, but I'd like to say thank you to my parents for getting me to this point. I got a big support group that's listening to me. All five people listeners. Yeah, pumped to be here, guys. I will probably provide very ah man. Yeah, you're probably right. I'll probably provide about five good takes per season and be excited to be here.
Speaker 1: And and Cam, you have been listening to Inside the Paint since before Landon and Nick were on the show. You're one of the OG's back when I was still in college. Can you there are so I'm curious about this. There are on this show. There are I believe eight people that I've that I've done at least seven shows. Can you name all of them?
Speaker 2: Oh man, that's a good question. All right, So eight people obviously you Landon, Nick, Daniel, Josh, Scott Chason, and then the last two. I'm not gonna be able to remember.
Speaker 1: It's seven, you're only missing one and this one was only on the first season. It was Tyler and I that started itp and then Josh and Daniel and I took over at season two. So you have you really have been listening since the second season. That's all of my twenties. I feel so old that that that's the case.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you guys have definitely contributed to my decline mental health.
Speaker 1: Well, if you think we've done the job, then wait till you see this preseason number one basketball team with nowhere to go but down that we got to talk about here on this sea of itp Cam, Welcome aboard. Good to have you. We're gonna have a lot of fun this season talking about those preseason number one Jayhawks. Second year in a row, they've been crowned at the top of the preseason ap pole. Hopefully this year goes a little bit better. But this is the Inside of the Paint Podcast. We're here to intro the season and talk all about the twenty twenty four twenty twenty five Jayhawks.
Speaker 3: I am Ryan Landreth, I am Landon Fields.
Speaker 2: And I am Bill Crank.
Speaker 1: I like how Landon just passed that trophy off. I haven't heard you that Landon Fields has not said the words land and Fields on this show in a very long time. Welcome back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, it's good to say my real name. It's way easier than thinking of a fake name ten seconds before saying it. So this is good. I'm glad to be back as well. It has been at least all of last year. I think I made it and it was it started like two seasons ago when I started the fake name thing. I hope anyone out there found that funny.
Speaker 1: Well, and if you didn't say your name, then we would never get to hear things like this.
Speaker 3: You suck ass.
Speaker 1: So I'm happy that you're back to saying your last name, and I'm glad to write back. So, oh well, the drops are never going anywhere. And Cam, this is this is a big moment for you. You're about to hear your first ever itp airhorn, which may just well contribute to your declining ear drums over the next few years. Landon has heard more than a few. So let's let's go ahead and talk about everything that's happened with Kansas basketball in the last few months. Okay, so you guys had a homework assignment, and I did too. I was not immune from this, and that was to watch the Late Night and the Fog Scrimmage, which, as we all know, you can infer so much about how the season is going to go based off of the events that take place during that fifteen minutes of late night scrimmage, as evidenced by National Player of the Year runner up Carlton Bragg from that dynamite twenty seventeen Late Night in the Fog that he had. If you guys remember that, you get oh, I remember land and coming into the because Landon you got to do the second year of Carlton Bragger. What's it the third? I don't remember what. Did you and Carlton Bragg ever cross paths on this show?
Speaker 3: I think so. I think he was on one of the teams, one of the he might have been on his last year at Kansas when I was on my first year at IP.
Speaker 1: I think, good times, really really good times. We'll we'll well, hopefully, hopefully the Carlton Bragg whatever you want to call the Carlton Bragg thing, won't happen on this year, squad. But you guys did watch the Late Night, The Late Night in the fog scrimmage? Is there anything we can really infer from this, like, did you guys, did anything capture your attention as something to jot down and say, oh, maybe that will be something to watch on this year's team well being.
Speaker 3: This is a basketball podcast, and as we do every year, we will talk for the next fifteen minutes about what the late night scrimmage definitively means. But it means nothing. A few things, I think, but doing it look good mostly at least, I think he was solid. I was impressed with the little bit I saw. I think he did get a shot blocked or maybe two shots blocked. That's not necessarily great, but I liked what I saw from him. Team looked like it can shoot as a whole. That definitely obviously was not the case last year in preseason, and it was true all season. They looked like they could shoot from the beginning, and obviously they did. That's not the case. I do hope that this team can shoot. They looked like they could shoot a lot of guards that can take threes and make them, hopefully, But this game has the intensity of like a high intensity YMCA game, so it's pretty impossible to tell what anything actually means. CAM your first take of your i TP career, What shall it be? What do you make of late night? Did you watch the scrimmage?
Speaker 2: I did watch the scrimmage. I did do my homework, so I wanted to make sure I got off on the right foot here. But the uh one, Yes, the main thing that I would like take away from this towards David Quoite. I love the fact that Kansas will actually have perimeter scores this year and depth is definitely not going to be an issue, so it was fun to watch. I also found it hilarious how uncomfortable Bill self looks sitting next to Ryan's favorite human Brian Haney commentary bench if you will in sidebar here. I think my favorite part of itp is that I've learned Ryan doesn't hate many things, but when he hates things, he hates them like passionately. Sister Jean carl Cheffer's Brian Hany. I think I'm leaving you to do listen.
Speaker 1: It's pretty impressive you do listen this show the Denver broncos I'm trying to think about if there's really anything else, And as you know, because you've heard me say these words before. I feel so bad having venom to spew towards Brian Haney, because I think he's a very nice man, but he's quite possibly the worst announcer that I've ever listened to. And I knew that we were done. I knew that Brian Haney and I would never get along when I went to the Kansas basketball banquet the first year he took over, and that was kind of Bob Davis's thing, kind of recaps the season self comes up, they talk about it whatever, and it's it's just like listening to your grandfather tell a story fireside as. You guys all remember the Bob Davis years. And then Brian Haney comes up and he says, in his game show voice instead of the Bob Davis effect, I'm gonna read a poem. And half of the people in the audience just kind of looked at each other like he's not serious, right, Like that was a joke. Do we laugh or do? What do we do? And then he starts reading a poem and he changes agbajie to agbage three and it just made me want to stab my both timples at the same time. With the dinner forks at the table. Brian Haney man, No, we just have to sometimes, like Will Smith had to shoot his dog. I know you don't want to do it KU Athletics, but at some point you have to consider having anybody else call games for you. That was not one of my observations, but yes, so a couple of things that Bill self said. One of them, I'll start with the one that you kind of just talked about Cam, which is David Quoit self called him KU's best off the bench score and Greg Gurley asked him for somebody who you can like in that too, and he immediately mentioned Remy Martin at the end of the National Championship year, and I think that people may remember Remy Martin a little better than he actually was. He averaged about ten points a game in the tournament, which is it feels like, at least it felt like more at the time. But when you have a guy that can give you double figures any night of the week off the bench, the lift that that will give everybody else, every year it feels like we talk about who's gonna start and who's not gonna start. I don't know if that matters as much this year as it does other years, because I think the lineups that close games are going to be dependent on how things go in those middle twenties five thirty minutes. I think you're gonna see a lot of different closing lineups. Even if guys like Koit or Zeke Mayo or Flora Badonga don't start, I think they're all gonna have a chance to impact the end of games. Is that the correct basketball take? Or is that the it's been seven months since you watched Bill self, so stay tuned take.
Speaker 3: Yes? Is the answer there? I think I think the in theory that's true. Who closes games, who's on the floor in big moments is more important than to like just who starts, but who starts for Bill self is who's going to be on the floor in big moments mostly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And he did say Zeke Mayo has essentially locked up a starting spot. This was a couple of weeks ago, and in a podcast he did with the Field of sixty eight and Jeff Goodman, because what else would Jeff Goodman do? Is like, you're not even gonna believe who Bill Self said as a starter? I don't know, could it say? Could it be it was the guy who he called the team's best player all off season, because he's been really high on Zeke Mayo, who I think all of us really like. Another one of those guys like Koite, like Maduna that may be able to give them those other three returneys in the starting lineup that helped that they really didn't have last year. And then let's talk about Florie Badunga. Cam you you were around with Josh Jackson, who was fantastic, and k You's had several high profile recruits since then. Self said that Badunga is the best one that he has had since Jackson, which was quietly eight seasons ago. At this point, now, what do you think that could do for guys like Hunter Dickinson or even for the non bigs on the roster if Baduma can come in and do what the recent KU Star freshman quote star have not been able to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think it'll spread the floor a little bit. It'll be nice to see Hunter Dickinson play and not have the lane clogged up by a certain favorite power forward of Kansas and kJ Adams, which will be fun topic to talk about later. But no, I think it will free up some space for sure. Flory looked really good in the late night scrimmage. Again, that means absolutely nothing, But according to everything that I've read and everything that I've seen, I think he'll be an awesome addition and it should be a great, great addition to have on the team this year.
Speaker 1: So if Flori is clearly self said that he wants Dickinson and Flori to play forty to forty five minutes a game, so you would think that's the five minutes right there? Are you? I don't know, like the two big lineup. I have a little bit more optimism in it this year than I do most years because Badoma is longer than I thought he was. The dude looks like one of those vintage Texas bigs that shows up at six ' ten and is freakishly athletic, more so than your typical Cliff Alexander style, big bruising forward. So I do have a little bit of optimism there. But are we expecting the Dooma to essentially get all of the minutes that Dickinson doesn't get.
Speaker 3: I mean that seems pretty dependent on if he actually translates or not. But yeah, if he's good, and I think he will be at least playable, then I think that's very likely that he's gonna get the vast majority of those. I still think kJ might get a few of those in specific situations if they want to play particularly small and fast. I can see them playing that against a couple of the weaker non com opponents maybe, But otherwise I think there's a good chance that Flory does get that spot, and he is a good counter putch to Dickinson. Dickinson is a very much more finesse kind of player, which works. But Douga looks like he's gonna be much more of a heavy hitter down there. But yeah, I think he does have a very good chance to probably take those minutes if he does translate.
Speaker 1: Then where does that leave Zach Clements. Are we expecting Zach Clemens to just not even play unless it's mop up time this year?
Speaker 2: I mean probably hopefully, question Mark.
Speaker 1: Okay, so neither one of you have optimism. Self said Zach Lemens is the team's most improved player over the offseason. We know by now to take those quotes with the grain of salt, but.
Speaker 3: He's supposed to say Zach Clements sucks by a lot in comparison to right Yeahory fair point.
Speaker 1: But Zach Clemens I think is still this team's best bet to be a true stretch five. He's taller and heavier than Badounga is. We've seen the Tanner Groves is. We've seen those type of guys go out there against Kansas and prove capable of making a couple of threes, and Kansas is five man isn't able to match that on the defensive end, and it leads to bad things happening. Clemens, I think, is this team's best bet to Oh, the other center made two threes in the first ten minutes, Let's throw Clements out there to stick with him. But if you guys think Badonga can essentially do that, then I don't really know what Clements would do on this team besides hand out towels when people come to the sideline, Like there is a third big on a roster that has Hunter Dickinson. It if Badunga is anything like what we think he is, it's hard to see a role for Clemens. Is that is that?
Speaker 3: And I really think, I really think Clemens is maybe the fourth five because I think kJ might readily get or might be in line to get five minutes ahead of him as well.
Speaker 1: To be honest, and what you think they're actually gonna play kJ at the five?
Speaker 3: Like, are we are we going with that? I don't think that's gonna be a regularly applied lineup. I think he might get like a few minutes there occasionally if they're trying to change it up a little. But I think you're going to see almost exclusively Flory and Hunter in non con. Maybe maybe Clemens, but Cay's non CON's crazy this year. It's like it's easily their most stack non con I've ever seen, maybe against Furman and Brown Zach. Clemens will play ten minutes maybe more.
Speaker 1: Okay, see you say that we're gonna get to this, But I think the non cons schedule is overrated. Everybody's acting like it's so loaded. Maybe I just think they're going to be better than most of these teams. I think it's loaded with names. I don't know, Like last year they had a Maui tournament where three quarters of the teams in it were top ten teams. This year they're playing what one game against Duke and then Furman. That's their Thanksgiving week schedule this year. I don't know, Like is the schedule. Actually that good. We'll get to that. Okay, Cam take for you. Bill self said he hopes to play Hunter to one in Caja less than thirty minutes a game this year. Now, my initial reaction was this, yeah, but I'm curious. Okay, so you're not buying that at all.
Speaker 2: No, not one bit. I mean, we've seen Bill soft coach for years now. He is one of the most stubborn individuals that has ever lived. He's going to play who he trusts, and I would stretching Big twelve, Yes, yes, coming down the stretch of Big twelve play, I'd be very surprised if he doesn't meet those minutes.
Speaker 1: So, okay, you start doing the minutes on these, and I know we're gonna do the prop bets in the next couple of shows, but you just start doing the math on this, and you say, Okay, Harris and Ricky's passmore are your ones as much as we'd like it to be, Zeke Mayo at times, maybe a little bit. And then you have the five that we think we have sorted through. The fore man is probably going Camas is looking through the roster, and there's about one hundred walk ons on here. We're learning names.
Speaker 2: Did you landon if I had said who is.
Speaker 1: Will thingvall about five minutes known that that's number fifteen for the Kansas men's basketball team.
Speaker 2: Wasn't that Josh Selby's?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Selby was? Uh? Was he was? He twenty three? No?
Speaker 1: I just want I just watched Selby's three against USC earlier, and I can't Maybe he was. I know Patrick Mahomes is fifteen, and I know Kevin mccullor was fifteen last year, so maybe maybe will thingfall will will No, No, I don't.
Speaker 3: Also think there why was he playing in the scrimmage? And where did he come from?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think all Or what his name is, will transfer to McNeese State in fire bomb Kansas from three and eight.
Speaker 1: And in two years time. Yeah, that's that's how it'll work. And there's also Shaquille Moore, who I guess is here to play point as well, and he's been in a boot for a few weeks, so they have plenty of point guards. They have the five men out of control, and then that leaves everybody else. Basically you have aj Store, who projects to get a huge percentage of minutes. It would be surprising if he did not start. You have Ryland Griffin who figures to get a great chunk of minutes off the bench. Do you think Mayo's gonna start? Jamari McDowell might just be buried on the bench. Al said there's a couple of walk on or not walk on red shirt candidates. Is Jamari McDowell the answer to who's the most likely on this team the red shirt?
Speaker 3: Which one?
Speaker 2: Sorry?
Speaker 3: I was reading Justin Cross's.
Speaker 1: Bio, which, Okay, give me one highlight from Justin Crosses six ' eight. He's no slouch.
Speaker 3: He won the national title with UH something a logan uh junior college.
Speaker 1: It's a quick read. I mean they they have a lot of walk Ons. Tell me how many of these names you've heard of? Here are the walk Ons this year? Noah Shelby will Evers, Yeah, Noah, he's he's from Alabama and he's all the way here to play basketball Kansas. Maybe he knows Rylan Griffin. They're both And I don't think Ryland Griffins from Alabama. Think he's from High right in front of me. But Dylan will Hyde has been here for what feels like one hundred years, and every time he goes out there in late night. I'm like, Hey, that guy's tall, maybe he'll play and he never does.
Speaker 3: And No, Shelby played at Vanderbilt and Rice.
Speaker 1: Okay, so so if he's played at and I know Landon your takes on Vanderbilt are very well known at this point on this show. But if he's if he's at Vanderbilt, then he's he's not He's not will Thingvall. He's at least a a basketball player.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's a real player. I think Bill self called him the best pure shooter on the team.
Speaker 1: He did so, so who knows, maybe you'll maybe you'll see that happen. Actually, I don't know. I think the best red shirt candidate because Self said they have quote one or two candidates, so they usually have to decide on that before the season starts. I think the best candidate is probably, uh, it's probably McDowell. You look at all the other Shaquille Moore is a grad transfer, like like another one.
Speaker 3: That's not that's not happening.
Speaker 1: That's that's moving on. Uh. Who is the quarterback at Set's Stets and Bennett territory at this point? If he stays another year in college. But I don't know who else it would honestly be at this point unless you're gonna red shirt pass more, which please know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, McDowell feels pretty high on that list, then that that might be the guy.
Speaker 1: So we'll we'll see in the next couple of weeks. As far as yeah, as far as the who's not a walk on or who is a walk on? He's not a scholarship.
Speaker 3: Player, oh well, fair enough.
Speaker 1: But whenever you look at his roster, I think they're great. I think this is the best roster Kansas has had since the two thousand and nine twenty ten team. I really do. I know, I'm I'm higher than I should be on a lot of Kansas teams. But it really does feel like that Bill self went out there and specifically targeted what he needed, and they asked him in the late night scrimmage, what can fans expect from this team? And he said, We're gonna be a lot better shooting the ball. That's music to everybody's ears, because that was their biggest weakness last year. They really only had one shooter and he wound up being a colossal disappointment. Who's gonna make the who are the three point shooters on this team? Who do you have the most confidence in. I think Ryland Griffin's pretty safe to be a good shooter.
Speaker 3: Quite look good, really good shooting.
Speaker 2: Three one and big twelve.
Speaker 1: Play and seven for eight against Furman and U n C Wilmington eight.
Speaker 2: Don't forget Brown.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. That that's the that's the right before Christmas sixty three to fifty five final, that's coming in front of a half full allen field House. Just the game to forget. Let's talk about the allen field House renovations. Nick had a lot of thoughts on these, and he's obviously not in the show anymore. So Cam, I'm counting on you to carry that torch about what exactly you thought of the forty nine million dollars that went into flog allen Fieldhouse this offseason.
Speaker 2: Well, the torch is burned out. I to be honest with you, I don't fully understand. So basically, the upgraded. First of all, they got Wi Fi. Correct, That is huge the home.
Speaker 1: I've been waiting for that for my whole life.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. The last time I was at allen Field House, I was so upset because they didn't have Wi Fi. They upgraded some of the concourses. But I don't understand why did they cut out seats and field House had not sixteen three hundred seats correct, So.
Speaker 1: I think it was because they wanted to didn't they want to expand the the bougie like chairback areas.
Speaker 2: I thought that was the reason, and the like, I just I just don't. I don't know.
Speaker 1: They also brought it down from the corners.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: They brought it down from the corners too, because they put a big TV and a couple of the corners and that took out a few seats. But who's like, I know it is gonna be yeah, exactly, Who's who's turning their head ninety degrees in that corner to see a replay? Because they also upgraded the new the video board. You may have said that the video board at center court, which is brand new for this year. I don't know, Landon, you've been there a couple of times. You're not a big heat guy. There is still no air conditioning, but they did do the HVAC system.
Speaker 3: Well that'll help at least a little bit. Yeah, that'd be nice. It seemed like the way Bill self was talking anyway on the broadcast that there was a lot of stuff that you will never see on TV, like the bathrooms and the con course and like some concession stands that are better as well.
Speaker 1: They added a lot of those. From what it sounds like, it sounds like that the second and third levels actually have concession like windows now instead of just dippin'dant carts, which that.
Speaker 3: Is nice to an extent. I guess, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, I I think that it's whenever you list all these things, I'm struggling to get to fifty million, So I guess h.
Speaker 3: The video board, I bet cost about twenty.
Speaker 1: And they, as Nick pointed out, they had these four like three dimensional jayhawks on the corners of the video board that looked terrible that they took down, so there's still it's still a work in progress. They also have brought back the circus fonds, which I know is a big thumbs up from Land and Cam. Are you pro circus funt? Absolutely yeah, I it it's an homage to the Roy Williams era. It's an image to the teams that I grew up watching, and I think it looks so much better h than what they had been running out there for the last handful of years, so Alan Fieldhouse renovations were thumbs up at least, or we're willing to be thumbs up. But I don't know how much of it, and it all depends on.
Speaker 3: Before I'm definitively one way or the other.
Speaker 1: And I'm curious if it feels different, if you can if you really feel those thousand seats not being there, maybe it's quiet, or maybe it feels weirder. I don't know, or I don't know if you won't notice. I know there were a lot of people who who's either lost their seats and were offered to buy other ones at a substantially inflated price, or just lost them with no offer altogether that are not happy. People were not pleased with some of the Travis Goff decisions, and he's a man that has not endured much criticism at all for anything he's done at Kansas, so I guess it remains to be seen. Kansas tagged preseason number one in the AP Poll for the fifth time Underbill self work at the pop part. They have not They have not made the second weekend of the NCAA Tournament in any of the other four years they were preseason one. Nothing, Cam, nothing can go wrong. Don't worry.
Speaker 2: I've been told that before by the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's completely normal.
Speaker 2: That Dwan Harris shot one three pointer in four games.
Speaker 1: It really ticks me off that they lost to Gonzaga. You understand how much that cost me, all the times that I.
Speaker 2: Talked about how much Gonzaga saw.
Speaker 1: And I don't believe that game actually changes anything about Gonzaga.
Speaker 3: Also, it does lost. They got crushed.
Speaker 1: I think they played well for a half.
Speaker 2: You could see it coming though. Oh yeah, I mean Kansas made They shot out of their minds in the first half of that game to be up er. I don't even remember at this point, but in a possession game at halftime.
Speaker 3: One point game.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I think the run was like thirty nine to eight or something. And I'm trying to figure out the amount of things that have to go wrong to be on the wrong end of a thirty nine to eight run in a basketball game.
Speaker 2: That seems like a great time for a lot of kJ Adams mid range jumpers.
Speaker 1: Well, if you watch the late night scrimmage, you got at least one more of those things. Let's talk about kJ, then, let's let's talk about kJ because he's He's coming off of a season where he was maligned a little bit, but also had a really good statistical year as the starting four man. Last year, he goes out there and averages thirteen points a game and shoots sixty percent from the floor, which is one of the best marks in the Big Twelve, but may have led the Big Twelve. Also finished with less than five rebounds per game. You Cam, you should be the one that gets to talk about this is because everybody listening knows landon nice thoughts. Whether or not you agree with them is a different question. But my concern with kJ Adams is more of what he doesn't do for Hunter Dickinson than what he does do for himself. And I don't think that in today's day and age in college basketball, you are helping yourself if your four man can't shoot or rebound.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, this is gonna be terrible radio guys, but I kind of agree it's tough. I actually like kJ Adams. I love the guy as a guy. It's hard to envision him in a lineup where he's functional because he cannot shoot threes. He's a threat from maybe fifteen feet and then from there it's just clogging up the lane with Hunter Dickinson. So this year I'll be really curious to see how Self uses him. Last year was frustrated to watch, I mean, he just it was such a terrible lineup to have him in there with Hunter Dickinson clogging up the lane and then everyone focuses on the Hunter. This year, they have perimeter scoring, so it should be a little bit different. But yeah, I'm not entirely sure. I'm not sold on kJ. I would love to see Flory play more than him. I don't foresee that happening, but we will see landon.
Speaker 1: I want the starting five and I am not Bill Self. I do not have rings, I do not have wins. I just have a podcast. I want the starting five to be Dewan Harris, Zeke Mayo, Rylan Griffin, AJ Store at the four and Hunter Dickinson at the five. Is that the wrong take?
Speaker 3: Nope, Nope, that is the one correct take. I agree. I agree, that's what I want the starting lineup to be. And I totally agree with Cam. I like kJ Adams a lot as a dude. He seems like a very personable, nice guy. Obviously went through a tragic situation last season, losing his mom. Very easy to relate to a guy when he's going through something like that. Nothing against kJ. I love him. He is fun to watch. And the thing is, I don't think kJ Adams is a bad basketball player at all. That's not the take. The take is that he's very specifically not suited for the system that Kansas runs and not suited for the talent they have on the team, especially when Dewan Harris is very reluctant to shoot the basketball, and not when Hunter Dickinson also is going through like a historic dry spell shooting the basketball made it really really tough. It was easy to double team Hunter. All those things. I think kJ Adams is a very good basketball player. I just think, honestly, his ideal system is playing somewhere where he is the five at like a decent mid major. If he was that, I think he would be, like regardless, one of the better mid major players in the country.
Speaker 1: Well, and the take with kJ that we got so much last year when Kansas would lose a game and they would go three for eighteen shooting threes, and they would struggle to rebound outside of Hunter Dickinson, and the take would be well, kJ. That's not his fault. kJ would score fourteen points and have five rebounds. But on the other end, kJ doesn't do anything to help the guys who are struggling. Part of the reason they're three for eighteen is because kJ Adams does not give those three point shooters any additional space to work with because people know he's not a threat whenever he leaves the paint. There is no reason whatsoever to devote extra resources to stopping him when he's further out from the basket than a handful of feet. And he's also not a good free throw shooter. That's another problem. He does draw contact at a decent rate, but he's not a good free throw shooter. And we've seen more or less if I'm not a basketball coach. If I was a basketball coach, there's no chance I'm playing you more than twenty minutes a game. If you can't shoot free throws out a seventy plus percent clip, you're too much of a liability. At that point. Teams in this day and age are going to foul you more often than they're gonna give you open layups and make you beat them at the free throw line. I have questions about kJ doing three vital things that a foe man has to do. They either have to shoot threes, or they have to rebound, or they have to be a walking bucket that's capable of scoring at the free throw line. I don't know if kJ can do any of that. He may have enough talent around him where it won't hurt the team, it won't set them back. But do I think that I'll line up with an aj Store and a Ryland Griffin and a Zeke Mayo on the flour same time? Do I think that's a better for Hunter? Absolutely? I do, and be better for their ceiling quite possibly. But we saw guys like Kevin mccollor show up last year and become twice the player that they were before. Maybe kJ Adams has something in his bag for us here in year number four. What let's talk about the rest of the ap poland and tell me a little bit about that. And there's not there's not a whole lot of news at this point, but it's just like the main premise of this segment is, Wow, look how good the Big twelve is.
Speaker 3: Which is true after Kansas at one, Albama, Yukon at two, and three, but the Big Twelve does dominate the rest of the top ten. They have half the top ten. Houston's four, Iowa State five, so they have three of the top five. Baylor's eight in Arizona is ten. The Big twelve. They're the sec of basketball.
Speaker 1: Right, Arizona being a ten. That's also that's also how many years that Caleb Love has played college. I'm excited to watch him go six for thirty in a game at Allen Fieldhouse on c Your Day, because that's I People talk about Hunter Dickinson being in college a long time, and he has. We might have to refrain from from those jokes this year, from making fun of other players that have been in college a long time. I see, I see the notes that Cam is typing, and eventually, by the midway point in the year, these are just gonna start getting read out loud. Uh and and yeah, you're you're not wrong on that caleble of not particularly efficient, which which might impact other things.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about the.
Speaker 1: Preseason can palm rankings because they're probably ask again because guess who's number one? With a wider gap between one and two than there is between two and twelve. This year, you'll never.
Speaker 2: Guess computer merchants.
Speaker 1: The Houston Cougars are just I you know what I said, I wouldn't do this this year, not this year. We'll let the We'll let the results play. They kind of proved proved I t p wrong a little. Last year they were really good. I'm curious to see how they do this year. They lost the best player in the Big Twelve. We'll see if it's so easy for him. I predict they won't be as good.
Speaker 3: We'll see.
Speaker 2: I kind of agree.
Speaker 1: And then Hunter Dickinson. Hunter Dickinson was named preseason Big twelve Player of the Year. Are you guys excited to cover his Naismith winning year?
Speaker 3: Whatever that happens.
Speaker 2: I'm very cautiously optimistic.
Speaker 1: What's the floor with Hunter this year?
Speaker 2: A foot injury where he doesn't play much?
Speaker 3: Yeah, like eighteen to nine probably.
Speaker 1: So he's he's if he stays healthy, he's winning Big twelve Player of the Year.
Speaker 2: Am I wrong for being semi concerned about him having a foot injury? Where Bill self goes, Oh, it's not that big of a deal.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm not worried about Jalen daniel back injury at all, So.
Speaker 1: Not this one. KYU football has returned to being a sad place, so we will not talk about them until Kansas loses.
Speaker 3: Their blowout win of Houston. And it was fun.
Speaker 1: Oh you were at Arrowhead.
Speaker 2: I was Jeff grimeson howd to go?
Speaker 1: They almost yeah, they they went from up fourteen to only up twenty one to only up fourteen with Houston driving, and I was thinking, oh, no, here comes the big granddaddy of them all.
Speaker 2: But then they did it.
Speaker 3: I was also thinking that they did it. Arrowhead was like forty percent full maybe maybe, yeah, I'm probably more like it really was like thirty.
Speaker 2: How much would you pay right now that point to go watch a Kansas football game? Like, if the ticket pricing were up to you, what would you put down to go watch them lose by twenty five to Kansas State.
Speaker 1: I think you just answered your own question there, Like if if it's a matchup that arrow had such a pain in the ass to get in and out of two, like, that's that's a whole new level of not as much to go watch it. Yeah, I guess that's then it's probably just kind of like a Royals game at that point. If there's thirty people in the stands. But like, yeah, because they put they have to give me a reason to go watch.
Speaker 3: I'd pay like fifteen bucks to see.
Speaker 2: Him lose a k State I might ask them to pay me five dollars to sit in one of the seats.
Speaker 1: At Bill Snyder Family Stadium. No, I've been at That's that's not happening. I run out of the arena.
Speaker 3: Invited by my roommate to join him and his girlfriend. They went to k State. They are thinking about going to Manhattan just to watch, not to actually tend the game. It's just like hang out in Aggieville, I assume and watch. Should I do that? Should I join them?
Speaker 1: I think you should in a Kansas shirt.
Speaker 3: I would probably wear a neutral shirt.
Speaker 1: Okay, if I would legitimately fear for your safety if you wore a Kansas shirt in Agieville on the day of a k UK State game.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Aggieville's fun. Man Manhattan's a fun college town. It's better than than most of the other new By college towns. I think it's one of the two or three best in the Big Twelve. But I don't think that game is going to go very well for Kansas.
Speaker 3: I agree. I don't think it will, But Kansas, to be fair, is a slightly better than two and five. That doesn't mean much.
Speaker 1: And Cam, you you are a Michigan guy, so you've grown up rooting for the Detroit Lions your whole life. Who before last season that in Kansas football shared several arteries of that of that same blanket, right like that that was a thing.
Speaker 2: No, I have a video in my iclub library and me throwing away at Kansas football Helmet's Circle David Beaty era. But no, it's been a tough childhood and a tough adulthood. But here we are at two and five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the two and five and a year that began with playoff aspirations, and the Lions look phenomenal. It's just a matter of are they going to look into the Chiefs in the Super Bowl by ten or thirteen?
Speaker 2: Are the Lions destined to blow a halftime lead to the Chiefs in the Super Bowl?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're far and away the best team in the NFC.
Speaker 2: I'm already not even close.
Speaker 1: And there's absolutely gonna be a shady rough call in there too that aids it. I'm on ros Saint Brown's gonna get tackled on third and ten and they're not going to throw the pass interference flag. That's absolutely happening.
Speaker 2: Dan Campbell's going to go on a fake punt from his own twenty five in the fourth quarter and it'll probably cost them the game, and then it'll turn into a riot because there will be a suspect pass interference call, and then I'll be really sad. So I've seen it.
Speaker 1: Before, and then Dan Campbell's wife is going to go on Twitter and be like, Wow, the lousy ass fans aren't showing up. What the heck? Oh wait, nope, wrong program forgot about that one. So Hunter Dickinson's going to win the Nate Smith. I've said it at the beginning. I said it the day that he's going to come back. Hunter Dickinson is going to win the n A Smith. And I don't know if he'll actually be college basketball's best player, but I absolutely think he will post college basketball's best statistics. This feels like a twenty one points and thirteen rebounds average kind of year for him, where he just pummels the underwhelming early season opponents and he's the best player on the best team and the best conference. I think he wins the Nasmith. I think that he's the at least if you're It's hard to predict who wins the Nasmith. There's there's literally tens of thousands of possibilities out there to just choose one. But if you had to put money on one person to do it, I don't know if there's a smarter, more likely bet than Hunter Dickinson right now.
Speaker 3: I mean, a fourteenth year senior who has averaged like eighteen and ten all but his freshman year does make a lot of sense.
Speaker 1: Rmando Bacos. Still, I mean, who are the other bets? Like, I don't even know?
Speaker 3: I mean my college basketball research.
Speaker 1: Yet Cooper flags the biggot? Oh no, but our J Davis is So that's cool.
Speaker 3: He's up there.
Speaker 1: Who's the stud from Alabama?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Mark Sears. He's the guy who averaged like twenty points last year and he's back. Caleb Love is a preseason First team All America.
Speaker 3: Okay, you have a minimum shooting percentage of forty be on.
Speaker 1: That Ryan Cockburner And then we've been worried about Ryan Cockburner hurting Knas for one hundred years and he actually will this time?
Speaker 3: Does does Purdue have anybody what did you say, Landon? Does Purdue have anyone returning that could be good?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Perdue's got that. That white guy that made a bunch of threes last year?
Speaker 2: Was it Braiden Smith? Is that his name or is it the other guy? Yeah?
Speaker 3: It is Braden Smith.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Then I'm just and here's a list of everybody else who got votes. Yeah, here's a bunch of I guess Alex Caravan's a good call to to blow up into a lottery pick.
Speaker 3: I think he is so.
Speaker 1: Okay. Well then there I see. I kind of think this is the year Yukon falls flat. But we'll, I guess we'll talk about that. And one other piece of news that I want to talk about. Ben died. He died this week. Do you believe it?
Speaker 2: What was the Vegas.
Speaker 1: Line on that a lot of people have died before, Sister geens surceas approximately. So Tony Bennett retires two weeks before the season started, and I'll you know what, fine, I'm not scared. I'll throw a little bit of a dart. Everybody's like, oh, Tony Bennett was such a good man. He's so good for college basketball. If you retire you know he and he claimed, Oh, the current condition of the game just is too much for me to continue. Well, Tony, it sure wasn't an option a big enough obstacle when you signed a damn contract extension three months ago, Like you telling me that it just recently became too much of a barrier that you're doing the noble thing to get out of the way. It's obvious what happened. This is the one way that a college basketball coach can for sure choose his replacement. They're not gonna go hire an outsider two weeks before the season started. How is it not being talked about more that this is just blatantly quitting on your team after their late night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is kind of wild. Like, the only way this is okay is if this was like super okayed by the organization and team wag in advance and for whatever reason, they just announced it two weeks before the season. Otherwise it is insane.
Speaker 1: But I'm totally fine watching watching Tony Bennett, watching his grip on the worst basketball program that God has spawned finally be lifted. Hopefully that means Virginia will not be a cesspool. Remember when they scored one hundred and twenty points in three or in like two and a half games.
Speaker 3: That sounds right. Remember when they allowed May just for twenty six points.
Speaker 1: And they still beat them and they only beat them by twenty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they did not hit fifty.
Speaker 1: That's what Tony is what James N.
Speaker 3: Smith had in mind, folks. That's the beautiful game he invented forty six twenty six against Maine.
Speaker 1: Honestly, that probably was pretty good offense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was probably gonna out for game twelve.
Speaker 1: Okay, every time somebody scored, James Nasmith's wife Sun dress and get the ball to the beach basket so they can resume the game. So but I assuming right exactly.
Speaker 2: We need to go back.
Speaker 3: Freshman would have been old enough at the time the drinking age was lower.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: But unfortunately, sir about freshman, Unfortunately we know that that rule because it's hanging on the south wall of Allen Fieldhouse claims that freshman cannot play in college basketball games. That's why Bill self has followed that rule to a science, because it's hanging in the building in which he offices Free Floury. I'm gonna get that first.
Speaker 3: Get the Bill self that tanked Billy Preston's career. It all makes sense now he's the one that wrecked his car.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and get on that note. Okay, So now we get to preview the number one team in the polls at least to start the season. We're gonna preview their season. We have a full schedule out, really not going to get too caught up on the game in and game out predictions, but we'll go through the Big twelve and do all that make predictions. And then in the next show, which will take place after the exhibition games, we are going to do our forty prop bets. So you guys have a little bit more time to think about that. But let's open with the schedule in which you two have both claimed that the non con schedule is very, very tough. It is tough. I'm not saying it's not, But I don't see the murderer's row of games that you guys do landon. Whenever you say this is such a gauntlet of a non con schedule, where are you getting this exactly?
Speaker 3: Well, Okay, so here's the real thing. I'm not as educated on my preseason college basketball knowledge this particular season. I think I've said that for about three years in a row. Point it remains true. North Carolina probably still gonna be good.
Speaker 2: R J.
Speaker 3: Davis is probably going to be in the national Player of the Year conversation by the end of the year. Michigan State, to be fair, always starts slow, is what it is. Duke has an insane number one recruit, Cooper Flag. I think he's the real deal. That is a very tough game, too, Fair Duke on a neutral court is winnable. At Creighton that will be tough, at Missouri probably will be tough. And NC State is okay to be fair. Yeah, maybe last year was a little tougher, who knows. I do think playing North Carolina, Michigan State, Duke at Creighton, at MISSOO, and NC State all Land to being a pretty difficult schedule. UNC Wilmington and Oakland also teams that make noise in the tournament pretty often, so I don't think those are cakewalks either, though they definitely should be wins. Yeah, I think I think there is a lot of tough games here. I think a lot of games that will be difficult, a lot of big names, which is what you said earlier, and maybe it is just names canceled lead all these teams by ten plus. I don't know. Maybe we'll get Kamala Harris's alma mater on election night. Make that two losses for Wolf. We'll see, we'll see a prediction.
Speaker 1: Oh boy boy. But okay, So this schedule, and one thing to keep in mind is they're playing twenty Big twelve games now, so instead of thirteen non con games, it's now eleven. So whenever you start doing the math on this, and you want to have at least a handful of by games, b U y not the Open Day, but like the teams you're paying to come in to lose by a lot, and then you're gonna have a couple of market games, you have a Champions Classic, and that doesn't leave very much. Like I don't know if they're gonna be able to do the three games Thanksgiving week tournament nearly as easily as they used to now because there's just less real estate to work with when it comes to the non conference schedule. But oh, you guys are looking at the schedule, where's their first loss? If you had to throw a dart.
Speaker 3: Cam, what do you think at Creed? Yeah, that's that's the instinct for sure, maybe Duke Neutral.
Speaker 2: I don't know for sure if they'll lose that, but I just I don't see them losing at home against North Carolina when Hubert Davis is using the etch A sketch to draw plays on the sideline. They've got Michigan State, Michigan State. Don't get me started on Michigan State. They will suck in November and then Oakland won't be good this year. They lost by like fifty to Michigan in the scrimmage yesterday, so I think first loss, probably if there is one in non con, is going to be at Creighton.
Speaker 1: I don't think Kansas loses until they play Iowa State on a Wednesday night in January. I think this is the year that they go through the non conference late undefeated. I mean, okay, you just go through this game by game. They beat Howard North Carolina. It's at home, so you're not picking them to lose. They could, but you're not gonna ever just pencil in a prediction at home, and I think they're better than North Carolina. Should be one of the best games atmosphere wise that building has had. Michigan State's the only one of the champions classic teams. It's not ranked Surprise, surprise, can't believe they're still in this event. But what you said cam like they usually struggle out of the gates in November. They haven't been very good in this event, and there's there's no reason to think Kansas is a five to six point favorite there. Oakland and UNC Wilmington should be wins. Duke on a neutral floor is tough, but Duke's a lot younger than Kansas is, and it's not as if that matchup is later in the season. I think you're a little bit more more worried about it. Kansas is the preseason number one team. They should be a favorite in that game. Furman is a win at Creighton at Missouri. Maybe it's one of those two. Because Creighton projects to be a top twenty team their best players of center, so that hopefully gets neutralized by Dickinson. But Missouri we eventually they're gonna play a real close game. They none of the first three games of this series have been close. Eventually, they're gonna play a tough game against a rival that's going to have their fangs out in their building to beat them. Maybe it's that one. Am I crazy? That Missouri is honestly like the third most likely loss on this schedule.
Speaker 3: Because on the road, not necessarily.
Speaker 1: And then North Carolina States to final four team from a year ago, but it's at home. You should win that. Then they get Brown, and then they start with the pretty soft Big Twelve stretch. They start with West Virginia, Central Florida, Arizona State at Cincinnati. That's kind of tough, like those should all be wins.
Speaker 3: Hey, I was looking at recruiting for a future question. Arizona State has two blue chip freshmen.
Speaker 1: Sweet okay, so that and that's considered one of the easy games in the Big Twelve.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, they have a five star, they have a five star, top ten recruit.
Speaker 1: On the well in Cincinnati is a top twenty five roster. Iowa State is loaded, and uh yeah this this this is a pretty tough.
Speaker 3: Also, I found the white guy of all white guys. We'll get there, but I have all right.
Speaker 1: Let's get I'm excited to hear about this. He plays for Arizona State. That's not what I would have anticipated.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, this guy plays for b White.
Speaker 1: Oh oh well, you know I could have could have absolutely bet that the the not just of the game, but of the year place for byu who Kansas has to go to probo this year? They don't get to deal with them at Allen Fieldhouse. Maybe that'll help.
Speaker 2: Do you still have Whiz Khalifa or wherever whatever the guy was last year? Well? Who who?
Speaker 1: And on that note, who was the late night performer this year?
Speaker 2: Little John?
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: It was supposed to be Nelly, but he beat up a woman allegedly.
Speaker 1: That's that's enough for Travis Goff. So Little John comes in there and uh, it's yeah, it wasn't. I remember thinking I know who Nelly is and then they didn't even didn't even wind up playing Ryan.
Speaker 2: Can you name one Little John song?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: I cannot name any rap songs?
Speaker 3: Oh man, it's turned down for what Little John?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, you win, turned down for what is Little John?
Speaker 2: It is Little John.
Speaker 3: Let the record reflect that I just defeated Ryan and pick him.
Speaker 2: Well wait until you find out about the punishment for Pickham this year, folks. Yeah, that's that's that's in the works.
Speaker 1: But we're we're I just have to get three signatures on that, and I'm still waiting on the other two. Oh so Okay, November Howard, North Carolina, Michigan State, Oakland, UNC, Wilmington, Duke, and Furman. What's their record through seven games?
Speaker 2: I probably will say seven and oh yeah, I'll go seven and oh okay, So really I think they're gonna handle Michigan State.
Speaker 1: You're you're saying that they beat you, NC and Duke. Those are the two that that really have you like, maybe, all right, well I'll go seven and oh then December at Creyton, at Missouri, North Carolina State, Brown and West Virginia. You guys each gonna say they lose one.
Speaker 3: I think it will be one. But I am very specifically betting that Creighton game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm kind of with you there. I think it's Creighton. I'd be very sad if they lost in Missouri, but I could see that game.
Speaker 1: Likely Creighton KU is gonna have a lot of fans in that Omaha game, Like a lot of fans are gonna be there, So well, we'll see, but definitely tough game. Preseason Top twenty team January at Central Florida, Arizona State at home, at Cincy at Iowa State, Case State at home. I'll just do them in spurts there's five. I say there's one loss in there, and that has them at Oh boy, I don't have to do math on this one. That's five and one and big twelve play. I agree, okay, And this is like the schedule I think is tougher in February than it is January. Much like we knew last year. If Kansas wants to win this conference, which I know that doesn't have the luster that it did whenever the streak was going on, But if they want to win the conference, they're gonna need a strong January because February is tough. Last year, they started like five and three or something like that, and we knew that they were set up for a really tough ending, and look how that ended up. They finished in sixth place. Next five games at TCU Houston at home, Central Florida at home, Baylor on the road, and Iowa State at home. I will say there's one loss in there. They are eight and two through ten conference games.
Speaker 3: Agree.
Speaker 2: Agree, I think they lose at Baylor.
Speaker 1: They haven't won in Wacos definitely. They haven't won in Waco since before COVID was a thing, Like it has been a long time. It was the dope game. That was the last time that they won in Waco.
Speaker 2: I think that was the last time I was happy. You just throwing that out there.
Speaker 1: The next five games at k State, Colorado, at Utah at BYU Yay, road trip to the Beehive State, and Oklahoma State.
Speaker 2: Two yeah, two els yeah, I'll say there.
Speaker 1: I'll say that there's one in there. And in the end the year at Colorado, Texas Tech, at Houston, and Arizona. I think there's three conference losses. I think they go fifteen and three, and I think they enter the Big Twelve tournament at twenty eight and three to the one.
Speaker 3: I'm going fourteen and four, fourteen and four as well.
Speaker 1: Fourteen and four wins the league out right, right, we agree. I think that should get it done.
Speaker 3: I think it should.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I really think that this team is the best team in the Big twelve. But I definitely could could understand, like, if the best team in the Big twelve has five losses, it's not gonna be super surprising. Ah, so we're wrong. They're twenty games not fit, So fifteen and three and fourteen and four is not possible. Sixteen and seventeen.
Speaker 3: And three, sixteen and four, sixteen and four, seventeen.
Speaker 1: And three feels really really hard.
Speaker 3: Guys, I just predicted Kansas to go twenty six and five. I've learned nothing from doing this show.
Speaker 1: Absolutely nothing. No, you haven't. I'm gonna say they go sixteen and four in conference play. Now, seeing that it's twenty games, that's that's too many.
Speaker 3: Yeah, seventeen and three is a lot. Sixteen and four doesn't feel quite right either, to be honest.
Speaker 1: Okay, then say fifteen and five.
Speaker 3: You know what I will twenty five and six. I've learned my lesson, Say.
Speaker 2: Cam, I'll join you there. Twenty five and six are gonna have one or two really dumb losses in the regular season.
Speaker 1: For the record, twenty five and six entering the Big Twelve Tournament should absolutely be one of the three best teams in college basketball, and that should put them in a Just don't pee on your leg in Kansas City and you'll be a one seed.
Speaker 3: But there is that one thing they love to do down their leg.
Speaker 1: And that is play six guys in front of like three thousand people and lose to Cincinnati by twenty points.
Speaker 3: That's correct, That's one of the most depressing games I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: That is horrible. I have, and I pay and I picked Kansas to win that game and Landon you still couldn't win pick them this year?
Speaker 3: That is true. That's really astonishing stuff.
Speaker 1: That's so such a such an awful year last year. All right, let's get right into the Big twelve Awards and uh and yeah, okay, first, I see the I see the the loss and round of thirty two comment, how does it end for Kansas this year? I will say a Final four appearance. Ha ha cue the clown music.
Speaker 2: Do I have it?
Speaker 1: I do have it? They go to the final four.
Speaker 2: I don't even care thirty five wins.
Speaker 3: Plus say Elite eight or better Elite eight minimum.
Speaker 2: It's like hedging your bet too much. I'm gonna say final four.
Speaker 1: They are one of the four best teams in the country. If they can't get to a final four, and I understand that you really can't predict how tournament success is gonna work, but like, if they can't get there, I'm having a hard time finding four teams that I trust more at this stage. Yeah, so, and anyway, don't worry. Plenty of times that'll come up this year. All right, let's talk to Big twelve. Who is the player of the year in the Big Twelve. You know who my pick is because he's also winning an Asmith.
Speaker 3: Hunter Dickinson easy.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you mean that.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you actually think that he wins it easily, because I do.
Speaker 3: Well, I do you think he's my pick? He's my legitimy.
Speaker 1: I don't think there is a single moment this year where he is not the definite winner for Big twelve Player of the Year.
Speaker 3: Unless Cam's foot injury thing happens.
Speaker 2: That is possible. I'm gonna say. I'm gonna say Tame and Lipsey for no other reason than to be different from you guys. Okay, so you're a you're you're a believer in Iowa State this year, I'm really not. I just want to make good radio.
Speaker 1: Okay, I like it. I can. I can respect that because not getting these right means nothing. Like It's not like I'm gonna fact check these freshman of the year in the conference. Every year it feels like it goes to a Baylor player. Isn't VJ like Epscomb or something like that. What's that dude's name, Edgecomb? Yeah, he's he's their top five recruit that coming in. He will that that's that seems like the safe pick, narrowly beating or ooh, to.
Speaker 3: Be different, may I offer you five star combo guard six eight a beam pole if you will, out of Mother Russia. Not joking, he is Russian.
Speaker 1: Igor Demean of Arizona State of by Oh no, oh no, well, Igor is coming for and the Kansas game is late in the year, so that's gonna be the five for five from three. He needs to seal his campaign. Gosh, all right, does that? Does Flori? But Dooga have any chance to come ten for this award at all?
Speaker 2: Probably not based off.
Speaker 3: There's actually a lot of Yeah, there's a lot of good recruits in the Big twelve. Actually, Arizona State legit does have like two they have one guy who's top five and they have one guy that is not far from that. Or they have top nine. Jayden Acquaintance is ninth for Arizona State. They have another guy that's like twenty fourth, which is kind of wild. There's several very good BEG twelve recruits.
Speaker 1: Boy, whenever we picked the Big twelve in order like this, this made more sense when there were ten teams. There's too many teams. This is this is, this is too much at this point. Give me a pick for coach of the year. I will say, here, here comes the this is not gonna be very popular and these airwaves. I will say Jerome Tang pilots Kansas State to a top four finish in the Big Twelve and wins Coach of the Year.
Speaker 3: I have to google all the Big Twelve coaches just to see what I'm dealing with there.
Speaker 1: Don't say Rodney Terry.
Speaker 3: Not him. I'll go with Jerome as well.
Speaker 2: I'm boring.
Speaker 1: I think Kansas State's really good. I think they're the most slept on team in this conference.
Speaker 3: Right now, give me a Bobby Hurley. Really, I'll say Arizona State and their high recruits do a little something.
Speaker 1: That's preseason twelve. Arizona State finishes sixth, then gets a five seed, and that's enough for the voters to be like, yeah, Bill self managed to go twenty to zero. But we'll give it to that guy because he beat his projections.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 1: Who is the most improved player? That's always a hard one. We don't really even know who's in this freaking league. At this point, I will very hard with you.
Speaker 3: It's potentially possible we should have done research.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's but I will say it's coach Prime of Colorado in his first year in the Big twelve.
Speaker 3: I'm doing a quick google. I want Oh, that's not super helpful.
Speaker 2: Who is Jeff Grimes? Oh?
Speaker 1: I know this one one second? Cam, Sorry, that's one strike. Okay, let's have your next your next person and your family give an answer.
Speaker 2: Who is Lanceliol.
Speaker 1: No, but I'll give you one more guest. Who has been the worst part of KU football this year?
Speaker 2: Is Jeff Long? And the applicable answer.
Speaker 1: Ass ass ass Landon. Did you did you find a most improved candidate? No, okay, we're just gonna skip that one. Most surprising team? This is a good one. I will say. I'll give you a couple my hot I have two hot takes here. Number one is Kansas State wins more games than Iowa State, and number two Oklahoma State makes it at large.
Speaker 3: I like those. I really like the k State pick. I think Case State could be genuinely really good this year. I'll keep the Arizona State theme going. Based off two recruits I saw, I think maybe Arizona State could make a little noise, go from no expectations to hey, sixth something like that.
Speaker 1: Arizona State. Arizona State is also one of two Power League teams that Kansas has played multiple times in basketball and has never beaten. Can you name the other one our league? They lost to them in a tournament game that landed and Nick and I cried about not actually we yelled about.
Speaker 2: It's not Oregon, is it?
Speaker 1: Nope? But you're close right around the same time period there.
Speaker 2: San Diego State, Nope, Washington.
Speaker 1: They didn't lose to Washington to the tournament game. It's SEC team that beat them in the NCAA tournament.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: I didn't think this would take you this long, Land, and you're supposed to be in encyclopedia.
Speaker 2: It's not gonna talk, no, it is.
Speaker 3: It is in my old age.
Speaker 1: It is Auburn. Auburn and Arizona State are the only two teams that Kansas has played multiple times and has never defeated. It might be in the Bill celf Era I never defeated. I don't know, but I remember seeing that stat at one point. Maybe this is the year they beat the Sun Devils. I don't know who is the most disappointing team presented by Texas Award. I will say the most disappointing team in this conference for me is going to be Arizona. I don't think they're going to adjust nearly as well to this league as people think. I think that they're gonna lose seven, eight to nine league games when some people are maybe that maybe that's not enough. I could see them going like eleven and nine and having teams like k State, BYU and Oklahoma State all finished better than them. I think teams like West Virginia and Oklahoma State, I think both of those teams win more games than Arizona this year. How about that for a hot take?
Speaker 3: Let me learn nothing from my co host Ryan Landreth, and I'm gonna say Houston.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome to the dark side.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go with Baylor.
Speaker 1: I mean those are It's gonna be one of those three for sure. We just picked the second, fourth, and fifth teams in the Big Twelve. I've learned to pick not pick Iowa State here because they have a good home court advantage. They'll win games there, two, four, and five. One of them's gonna disappoint like that's just going to happen. So I think we're on the right track. Who is the Tanner Groves White Guy of the Year award? And why is it the guy that land and said from Russia? Gonna go with him?
Speaker 3: Feels feels like who's really research would have been important. It's almost like knowing what you're talking about is good for talking about this.
Speaker 1: Also, who's the West Virginia guy that they landed, the dude's son, the coach's son. Is it Tucker DeVry? Is that his name?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Yeah, that's that guy.
Speaker 1: That's the white Guy of the year right there. And somebody on Kansas State looks like Will Spradling and might be named Will Spradling will make four threes at Brambleche when Kansas comes to town.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it checks out.
Speaker 3: Both great answers.
Speaker 1: Who is specifically for Kansas the Nick Timberlake Bust of the Year Award? Give me a Kansas player that will disappoint relative to their expectations, go for Landon. I like how there was no obvious answer.
Speaker 3: I mean, there isn't an obvious one. Nick Timberlake wasn't obvious at.
Speaker 1: The time, right, I'm not gonna say it's a shooter. I'm gonna say Dewan Harris if I think it's the one Harris, I think that. I think people wait for him to take that step and it just doesn't happen. But the team around him so good that it might not matter.
Speaker 2: If we're going off history, it's probably David Quit and I don't want to say that, but he's coming from a team that absolutely was insert as drop years.
Speaker 1: Oh, I can do that. I'm good at that.
Speaker 2: Ass, thank you. That was terrible at Northern Illinois. So that'd be my pick. I hope not, but that'd be my guess.
Speaker 3: I think I think that is the pick, right, I think that might who it has to be Shaquille Moore, but even gonna play enough to matter and.
Speaker 1: That, right, Yeah, it's got to be somebody with expectations and and I don't know if Shaquille Moore has that at that point. Uh, I think I can. I don't think I can read the next one, but I definitely can read the who is our Scott Drew Boob of the Year Award Boom give me whoever the Arizona coaches give me Tommy Lloyd. I think they flop in their first year.
Speaker 3: I mean it's it's uh, it's Rodney Terry. Isn't not that too?
Speaker 1: That could also work when he pilots eighteen preseason ranked Texas to a nine seed.
Speaker 2: Give me Jerome Tang he doesn't wear shoes on airplanes?
Speaker 1: That also works. Who is the Bruce Webber? Welp, He's getting fired award? Which we love that award? Are any of these coaches getting fired this year? I mean, all these guys are pretty good coaches, and the ones that are unknown are in their first year. I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Is Jamie Dixon.
Speaker 2: Anywhere?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think Steve Prom's an analysts somewhere. But I definitely like your I like to call Land and Jamie Dixon that, like, how many more eight and eights can we have? And this year it'll be ten and ten?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good call.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna ask you to name all sixteen Big twelve teams and project the order of their finish, but I am gonna ask you maybe do like a top Haight. Yeah, I was gonna say, give me the top like six and Okay, first off, who finishes last? And why is it? Utah?
Speaker 3: Is it Utah. Do do we definitively believe?
Speaker 1: I mean, is it Colorado or like, is this Central Florida? Just the floor fallout?
Speaker 3: You're probably right that it's all right.
Speaker 1: Then give me the top six. I will go Kansas, Iowa State, Baylor, Kansas State, Houston, and boy, I'm kind of all in on Cincinnati a little bit too. I'll say Cincinnati. Maybe it's this is where I was going to originally say, BUYU, but I'll go Cincy. But I think Kansas wins by a couple of games.
Speaker 3: Give me the Jayhawks, Baylor, k State, Wow, Iowa State, Arizona, Houston.
Speaker 1: So that's that's the top six. Just reshuffled and you told you had Cincinnati. You swapped out for k State?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Probably? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, Cam, let's hear it.
Speaker 2: Okay, give me Kansas, Baylor, Houston, Iowa State, State, Uh, Arizona, question Mark.
Speaker 1: Guys are all stealing my case State Love. I thought I was gonna be on my own with that one.
Speaker 2: Kind of surprised I feel with the same.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well until he takes his shoes off, you are. That's that's right, all right, there's our preview. You're gonna hear the I guess, and I was gonna ask you final four picks. I'll ask it on the next show because it's quite clear we don't know the big twelve teams and the final four picks as well. But you know who I will say does not make a Final four. It won't be Virginia because their coach is a quitter. All right, let's do ask RCB. All right, Cam, this is a pretty big moment. You getna do ask RCB for the first time, and you no doubt have listened to this segment before because you've asked us a lot of questions. So I feel like the best way to indoctrinate you into this segment is to, of course start with a Rock Chalk AJ twelve question. Oh AJ's got the twelve in his name? Now is rock Chalk AJ twelve? I'm not have to note that? Who asks? What are your thoughts? What are your thoughts on girls with tattoos? Rest in peace?
Speaker 2: Nick? All right, So I'm gonna go this is this might be controversial here. My girlfriend, I'm I'm not a single man, fellas, and my girlfriend has a tattoo, so I can't say that I'm against them. I won't say that I'm for them. It's a very politician answer. I'm someone in the middle. They don't offend me, they don't upset me, they don't excite me. They're somewhere in the middle between all of those answers.
Speaker 1: So if I wow a very mean So if I showed you a woman that's fair. And if I showed you a woman fair and then she then she got lots of tattoos that wouldn't sway the needle, specifically because she is tattooed like obviously they can't be like horrendously drawn ones. But it's not swaying the needle for you.
Speaker 2: Is she a convicted felon?
Speaker 1: No she is not? Okay, then no, okay, So you're good either which way. I think tattoos bring you a step into the right direction. Landon, is that kind of where you're at? Are you completely neutral?
Speaker 3: I am pretty neutral. I do like a good tattoo, but I'm not like, I don't think a girl has to have a tattoo to be attractive. I would definitely say that.
Speaker 1: Look what next started? Also from AJ do you think Rodney Carey's Terry's khaki pants are going to succeed? And the SEC. No, it will be like this Rodney Terry's and this will be his last year at Texas.
Speaker 2: I mean honestly, guys, whatever pants he's wearing at the start of the game will change to light colored brown by halftime because he's gonna poop himself when he plays at Kentucky.
Speaker 1: Oh, I could definitely do that. I can definitely do that. And also Kentucky might not be very good this year, sir, you might mean Arkansas because our buddy pay Pal Coal is now is now a razorback and we'll see him later this week, which will be fun at our scene code underscore FC. If Kansas gets bounced in the first week of the NCAA Tournament for the third year in a row, Okay, go ahead and preface it with this, God, will Bill self be on the hot seat?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: No, no, he's not gonna be fired. But I do wonder if another NCAA tournament loss and another attempted roster overhaul fail, if that makes him go a little bit of Tony Bennett again, not ten days before the season starts, but a little bit of Tony Bennett. And I'm in my sixties, I got parents, i got grandkids, what am I doing coaching basketball? I've never believed that self is gonna be one that coaches deep into his seventies or eighties. I wonder if one more bad season, one more disappointing season, if that pushes him a little bit closer to what am I doing here? Like, does that seem fair? That's not the hot seed, But it might push you a little closer to him leaving than a really good year would.
Speaker 3: I actually think I think either end of the spectrum could get him close. If he wins a third Natty in the next year or two, I think he could also say, Yeah, I'm a guy in my mid sixties with grandkids and family and a lot of life left. I was just hanging up on my third national title. But yeah, I could also see, like, hey, if Kansas goes like eighteen and thirteen, which would never happen, but if something like that were to happen, I can also see him saying, it's just not for me.
Speaker 1: What were they last year? They were pretty close to eighteen and thirteen? Weren't they closer than you ever thought they'd get? Last year Kansas was twenty three and eleven. Okay, really not that close to it, but yeah, they were like, what was the twenty three and eleven and they started twelve and one, so they were twelve and ten or something like that in the last handfull games.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they were actually a little gross by.
Speaker 1: The end of the year, a lot gross actually. At Preston Skirsik, who was the best late night performer? And how concerning is it to you that no recruits held visits during the late night I'll start with the second half of that question, because you guys know way more about the actual performers. Bill self said that that really isn't what it used to be. It used to be a thing where you had a limited number of recruiting visits, so it was big priority to get like twenty or thirty recruits in there. Now kids can take essentially unlimited, unofficial visits, so it really isn't that big of a priority to get them all in there for a late night. Not concerned at all about that. Kansas is in the running with all sorts of blue chip recruits in the class of twenty twenty five, and even if they don't get those guys, they've proven they can make their mark in the transfer portal. Your turn with best late night performers. I don't know if I could name five late night performers. I remember Snoops, acrobatic, the most iconic. Jeff Long didn't know what exotic dancers meant. Remember the ku Ad put that in a statement.
Speaker 3: I think it's funny that Lil Yati has kind of turned into a legitimate artist. So yeah, even though he was kind of a meme artist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he did it one year. I think Tech nine did it one year. He's a Kansas City guy, so that's not a big surprise. I didn't Drake do it one year? Am I crazy? Is that just Kentucky?
Speaker 2: I think that was Kentucky?
Speaker 1: All right, he's a Kentucky guy. All right, What did you have a favorite?
Speaker 3: I don't. Midwest Kansas doesn't have Drake.
Speaker 1: I don't think I have watched a second of any of the late night performers except for Snoops. Because everyone was talking about it. I had to see what it was all about. Didn't disappoint. Big fan of Snoop and a couple of different ways at rock Chuck eighty four, What is your taco bell order?
Speaker 2: Oh boy, I'll take the floor here. Boys. Back in my formative days in college. I had many evenings where I might not have been completely in the right mental state, and I definitely went to Taco Bell drive through is late in the night, so I would always get chicken casadilla a bean burrito that was big. That was pretty much my order every single time.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's respectful answer and definitely something a lot of people will relate to. I have had Taco Bell like once in the last ten years, just not a place I usually go. I pick up a lot of door dash orders from there. They are an easy place to pick up from. They're always ready when I get there. Don't like how there's always drinks. Those are difficult and a threat to drop, but the Taco Bell orders are easy enough. Land in the Are you a Taco Bell guy?
Speaker 3: I've become a Taco Bell this guy this year, and I need to stop becoming a Taco Bell guy immediately. I've already started coming back on Taco Bell for obvious Taco Bell reasons. My order though, was the canteenag meal. It's very good.
Speaker 1: Not a bad answer either. There really isn't a whole lot there that's bad, and well, there's plenty of stuff that's bad for you but there's nothing there that tastes bad at least it well, that's also debatable where Cam can't eat peanuts, landing lights, all sorts of food and I'm just there, so I'll let you guy. I'll defer to you guys on the on the food takes.
Speaker 3: Have you ever had chicken shwarma right now?
Speaker 1: I couldn't tell you what that is.
Speaker 3: It's Middle Eastern chicken and it's extreme. Is it euro kind of chicken?
Speaker 2: A little bit? Uh?
Speaker 3: Not quite, but it's not too far.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I'll put it on my list.
Speaker 3: You could have it.
Speaker 1: I need to. I need to. I need to venture out the realm of Windy's, which is like as about as far out as I go with restaurants. So I need to do better Land And I'll make sure that you make me do that at show me Hawk in your eyes? How does this preseason number one team match up against the other teams that Kansas has had as a number one in the preseason twenty four, nineteen o nine, and five. The two thousand and nine I can't speak to nine team was so good. That team was so good they were pretty much.
Speaker 3: Still maybe the best regular season team in Campas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were pretty much the number one team for the entire year. Their only Big twelve loss was the flukiest of all fluke losses, when a white dude from Oklahoma State made a bunch of threes. I know that never happens, but that Northern Iowa game was truly one and twenty. If you play that game twenty times, I think they only lose once and ultimately that team was the best team regular season team. Is Landa said and the Bill self era this team is the second best of those four five Now.
Speaker 3: I think that's a pretty good take. They are theoretically deeper than the last couple that in preseason one.
Speaker 1: Yes, they're a lot deeper than last year at Elliott rus in h one. I hate being this negative off the bat, but I'm curious to see what the team's weaknesses will be. It is what it always is, right. They don't get enough shooting. They free throw shooting lots them down at the end of games. They foil too much. It's shooting, shooting, shooting, shooting. Everything else is fine.
Speaker 2: Cam any hidden weakness you're worried about, that's pretty much it now. I mean, the only thing that kind of concerns me is too many mouths, so minutes too Yeah, that's pretty much.
Speaker 1: It pushing the right buttons like are we gonna have games where guys like David quite play four minutes and they lose because they can't get out of the sixties And you're thinking maybe that would have made a big difference. I don't know, but I do think Bill self is a good bet to put it all together. A couple of welcome messages for you, sir. Elliott rusen h says, welcome, Cam, can't wait to hear your takes. Perston skir six says welcome at kamb Lipole Golf and at Berner Goff eighty oh two just says patiently waiting and it's the gift of the guy with the mustache standing around everywhere waiting for our first show to drop, so he'll be happy tomorrow morning. Here's a question for you, Cam from Preston Skirsik. What role slash trajectory is David quite more likely to have over the course of the season. This is interesting because we talked about this earlier. Jaalen Coleman lands like or Remy Martin like, probably Jalen Coleman lands like, I mean, Remy Martin was such an then hominly for that team. He really wasn't that good during the regular season, and honestly, if it weren't for him being healthy in the March run, we would not be talking about Renby Martin right now. I mean, he was amazing in the NCAA tournament. We would be talking about him being one of the biggest disappointments in the history of Kansas. From a recruiting perspective, pretty much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, quite strikes me more as a Jalen Coleman Lands type player. I mean, he definitely shows flashes of Remy Martin. He can create his own shot, but he's I think he's like five foot eight, isn't he. He's really small, so yeah, he's five eight. I think there's gonna be games where he'll be really good, but it's gonna depend a lot on matchups and also gonna depend a lot on you know, just if self wants to gamble a little bit on him putting up twenty in a game that doesn't matter, or giving Dawan Harris time to you know, dribble around and have two assists and two shot attempts, that'll be.
Speaker 1: Uh Land and I think the only thing that David quite being a Jalen coleman Lands type role in which he comes off the bench a few and it's a game when he's needed, and then some games you don't see him at all. I think that's close. But Jalen Coleman Lands was here to do one thing, and that shoot threes. I don't know how many two pointers Jalen coleman Lands made that year, but it couldn't have been more than fifteen or twenty. Like he just was there to shoot threes. I think Quit is a little bit more of a Jack of all tyrates kind of guy. He can score the ball in a variety of ways, and like Remy, I don't think he's just coming off the bench to shoot threes.
Speaker 3: Also, did you just say jack of all tiraids.
Speaker 2: I think he did.
Speaker 1: I think I did. I'm trying to watch a the end of a Cardinals game, read notes and read questions, So forgive me for saying.
Speaker 2: Get this man in public office.
Speaker 1: Now, Hey, you know what, as you said, we just had. The Kansas first game is on election eve. I think maybe we should record our first official podcast to recap a Kansas game during the election. I don't see anything that could go wrong with that? Is anything else that or after the nuclear caller to us hey after the first one, before the second two, more to close us out from at show me hawk more of a Chiefs question. How much influence do you think Matt Naggy actually has over the offense? Well, Patrick Mahomes was.
Speaker 3: Let's hope a lot. Let's hope they fire him, and let's hope.
Speaker 1: That Patrick Mahomes was Patrick Mahomes and then Matt Naggy showed up and now he's Andy Dalton with a headband. From a statistical perspective, so I'm going to say he has a lot of influence over Patrick Mahomes. I cannot wait for that man to get his visor away from my football team. Cam as a fan of the Detroit Lions, the Matt Naggy era of Chicago Bears football. That yeah, you witnessed that. That sucked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not great, So we'll see, we'll see sometime. Yeah, most of my life has been sad being a Lions fan. So they the Chiefs keep winning games. So I won't say that much, but I think Matt Naggy doesn't have a ton of influence on the offense. It's Andy Reid's ship obviously, but it does make me wonder why mahomes. I think it might actually be more of an Eric b enemy. Isn't there sort of thing? I don't know, but it doesn't treat me. And the last question show me hawk would fifteen and five win the conference assuming the five losses are Houston, Baylor, Iowa State BYU and a random home loss.
Speaker 1: I don't think the combination of games matter. I think if they lose five conference games, they will win a share of the championship at minimum.
Speaker 3: I agree, Yeah, I think that's a good take.
Speaker 1: That's right, fifteen it is. If you ever have asked ACBS, use Twitter hashtag ask RCB. All right now, to close us out, there are two exhibition games that will take place in the next week. Number one Kansas will play in a charity exhibition game against number sixteen Arkansas, the debut of John Calipari on the sidelines as Razorbacks coach. That game is on Friday night at eight if you have the SEC network, that will be televised there and then three days later or four days later they'll play Washburn There. Once a year exhibition game against a team from the state of Kansas. It is the Ichabods coming into Allen Field House on Tuesday, one week before the season kicks off. That game is on ESPN Plus for those of you who have it. What are you looking to see in these two exhibitions last year? I know they didn't count, but they weren't overly impressed up for most of the game against Fort Hayes State, and they lost to Illinois in a game where Nick Timberlake shot well but nobody else did. Kind of set up a couple of red flags from an early point. What are you expecting to see this year against Arkansas and to a lesser extent, Washburn Cam.
Speaker 3: What do you think?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I'll be really curious to see how the guys look playing together. Also be more so curious to see how kJ Adams looks playing with Hunter Dickinson and how the rotations work. I mean, it's so early in the season, you know, it's it's very difficult to figure out what the team will be in these exhibition games. But seeing some perimeter scoring begin, watching you know, Rylan Griffin aj store play, I'm more more or less just curious to see how the guys look early on in the season. Nothing too much that'll determine how the season goes, but it'll be fun.
Speaker 1: To watch landon.
Speaker 3: I'm hoping to see team chemistry and shooting the ball. I think those are the two things, especially like you're playing a good team on the road, theoretically good team in Arkansas on the road. That's gonna be a really tough game. What I would love to see, yeah, is how Bill self rotates, kind of who he gives a lot of minutes to kind of get a feel for who he's specifically looking at, the rotation he's specifically looking at. See how Flori looks out there against real competition. That'll be really interesting. See how he employs the Harris kJ Harris Big Three, if that does anything. Yeah, Mostly just the chemistry between everybody and can they shoot the ball? That'd be good.
Speaker 1: I think that what you guys said is accurate. It's not going to be a direct indicator of how he's going to handle the final four minutes against Duke or anything like that, but I do think you're gonna very quickly get a feel for who the guys who are gonna be the first couple off his benchjar As opposed to who are the guys that are only gonna play in a situational In a situational basis, I think Florid, But doom is the guy I'm most excited to see. He's the one that I think we're gonna find out really quickly. Is this gonna be a guy that's legitimately gonna play twenty minutes a game or is this just the when Haunter needs to get a drink of gatorade, he'll go out there sort of guy. And we got to see better three point shooting. It was a parent from the very beginning of the season last year, the exhibition game and Champagne that that team needed shooting, that Artaria Morris not being there had a left a big hole in the shooting department for them and it was going to be Nick Timberlake, Kevin McCuller and not a lot else. We saw how that worked out whenever those two guys didn't shoot because they did not have anybody else. They need to be able to do that. I want to see if Dewan Harris is any more aggressive this year. Supposedly that's been a thing. Could Zeke Mayo be a threat to run the point if Dwan Harris plays less, they have a lot of guys that we think could average eight to thirteen points a game. Guys like aj Storre, who Bill Sel said has not gotten fully comfortable yet. Guys like Rylan Griffin, who single handedly hold the keys to determining how well Kansas will be shooting the ball this year. And guys like David Koit, who wouldn't surprise me if they barely played at all, and it wins surprise me if they were the sixth man of the year in the Big Twelve. Trying to see how all those pieces work together. I think they're gonna win both games pretty easily. Actually, Arkansas is gonna have like half their roster out. They just had a ton of injuries. John Calipari said he doesn't even know who's gonna be out there, but it's not gonna be a lot of bodies, was the quote from his interview this week. If Kansas can go down there and handle I'll be in an injury ragged opponent, but beat a team on the road that's supposed to be in the top twenty, well, that'll set the season off on a higher note than it did last year. But until we see it just will remain to be seen. And the most important thing from this game no injuries. Kansas has been bitten by the injury bug so much early on in seasons the last couple of years. Let's not see any of that. And yes, Cam adds that what he would like to see in the exhibition is Sidney Sweeney agreed, I don't know if she'll be there. Yes, but that sounds a lot more interesting than trying to figure out who's gonna play six man minutes on a basketball team.
Speaker 2: I agree, couldn't set it better myself.
Speaker 1: I did weill, Cam, You've officially been baptized into the ITP era. It's exciting to have you. It's gonna be a fun season. I'm sure as the season gets along, you will get more and more comfortable talking over landon and I feel free to do that at any given point, and way more comfortable screaming obscene things into the microphone because of that will inevitably happen when they lose to Central Florida or something. But until then, I think our next show will probably be back after the exhibitions to talk about what we saw and then get you ready for the Real Deal season starts in less than two weeks. This is the Inside of the Paint podcast on Rock Chalk Plug and I'm Ryan Landreth, I'm Lennon.
Speaker 2: Fields, and I'm Cam Lipoole.
Speaker 1: Look at that.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 1: I like that that right there. I like not saying your name at the start of the show, but sang it at the end. I think that's the.
Speaker 2: Way to do it. Shout out Bill Crank.
Speaker 1: Then we will be back in a week. Until then, I don't know what's there to enjoy the next week. Enjoy how it's eighty degrees. Even though Landon's bitter about it.
Speaker 2: I am.
Speaker 3: I am deeply bitter. My mom's fifties permanently. Please Josh Brisco will hunt you down with a knife and kill you