Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App KFI and KOST HD two, Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: Hey, it's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 4: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 3: Good morning.
Speaker 1: It is five o'clock, straight up. This is your wake up call for Wednesday, September twenty fifth.
Speaker 3: I'm Amy King. Here's what's ahead on wake up call.
Speaker 1: We got a lot going on, including a wild chase that involved a hijacked metro bus.
Speaker 3: It's come to an end in downtown LA.
Speaker 1: Deputy Chief Donald Graham says the chase went on for about an hour before the bus was stopped this morning. One person was taken into custody. A passenger and the driver were rescued. Another person on the bus was shot several times and later died at the hospital. The La County Board of Supervisors has voted to oppose Proposition thirty six in the November election.
Speaker 3: The measure would reverse Prop.
Speaker 1: Forty seven, which reduced some drug possession charges and thefts under nine hundred and fifty dollars from felonies to misdemeanors. Prop thirty six would also allow for stiffer penalties for thieves involved in flash mob style robberies. For the eighth straight year, UCLA has been named the best public university in the country by US News and World Report. UCLA was also named the top university for military veterans and has top ten programs in computer science, engineering, teaching, and nursing.
Speaker 4: We're going to be.
Speaker 1: Talking with ABC's Jim Ryan in just a couple of minutes about Brett Farbes's revelation that he's got Parkinson's and he's not the only former football player who is suffering years after retiring from the game. We'll be talking tech with KTLA's Rich DeMuro about a new Google streaming box. It's apparently loaded with goodies, and open Ai is rolling out a new voice.
Speaker 3: Is it a good one? We'll find out.
Speaker 1: That's coming up at five point twenty at the bottom of the hour.
Speaker 3: Amy's on it.
Speaker 1: I'm on a super creepy, super creepy, but very compelling show that I think you're going to want to hear about. Let's get started now with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A person has been fatally shot on a metro bus that was hijacked in South La fully say a man took hostages early this morning and led police on a chase for more than an hour before police were able to stop the bus with a spike strip.
Speaker 5: When the bus came to a stop, officers used their training that we received from the MTA to disable the bus so that it could not move further, and officers from our SWAT team set up on the bus made entry to the bus for a dynamic rescue.
Speaker 3: He says.
Speaker 1: SWAT officers rescued the driver and a passenger and arrested the hijacker. One person had been shot several times and died at the hospital.
Speaker 3: A woman in la has.
Speaker 1: Filed a lawsuit against Sean Combs, saying that he violently raped her in New York in two thousand and one.
Speaker 6: The lawsuit alleged Combs drugged the woman and that he and his bodyguard viciously raped her in a recording studio while filming the assault. Dahlia Graves spoke out publicly for the first time, saying she suffered PTSD, anxiety and depression. Ever since, it has been hard for me to trust others to form healthy relationships, oh even fear safe in my own skin. It appears that the lawsuit filed yesterday as the first case Combs has faced since his sex trafficking indictment last week. Graves is now the eleventh woman to accuse Combs of sexual assault Chris Adler kf I News.
Speaker 1: Israel and Hesbilah have continued to exchange heavy fire following the deadliest day in Lebanon in almost two decades.
Speaker 3: Israel says it killed.
Speaker 1: A commander of the Iran backed militant group in an airstrike in Beyrout yesterday. UN chief Antonio Gaterez posted on x that Lebanon is at the brink and the world cannot afford for the country to become another Gaza. Members of Congress, led by House Speaker Mike Johnson or said to vote on a measure to temporarily keep the government funded. The bill being voted on today would keep the government going through December twentieth. Senate Majority leader Chuck Schumer says a shutdown would hurt American Donald.
Speaker 7: Trump told the hard right shut the government down if Congress won't agree to his poison pill proposals.
Speaker 1: The short term extension includes more than two hundred and thirty million dollars in extra funding for the Secret Service to help protect candidates during the election cycle. League of Legends has gotten caught up in the middle of a fight between sag After and a company that provides voiceover services for the Blockbuster online multiplayer game. The union called a strike against League of Legends yesterday, saying the company has tried to get around the ongoing video game strike by higher non union actors to work on an unrelated title.
Speaker 3: Let's say good morning now to ABC's Jim Ryan.
Speaker 1: So, Jim Brett Farv was testifying before Congress about an investigation into charges that he had taken some public money and used it for himself. Yes, and in what seemed like an offhand comment, he said he'd lost money investing in a company he thought would help other people, but that it was too late for him because he was just recently diagnosed with Parkinson's.
Speaker 8: Yeah, a real bombshell fell at that moment during that hearing. And I'm not sure there were questions that came up. Tried to see, you know, the full testimony this morning, but yeah, it was during the Houseways and Means Committee that he made this. He had this revelation, you know, some synics have said, well, he's trying to shift attention away from his problems back in Misissippi with this welfare situation. He didn't present a doctor's note or anything, but I think people are taking his word at it, considering that he was in the NFL for twenty years and then he had a college career before that. He says in the past, he said that he had something like a thousand concussions over that time, and concussions have been linked to Parkinson's.
Speaker 3: And he's not the only one.
Speaker 1: There are a lot of former NFL players who are suffering now after years after they played well.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, and not just from Parkinson's but potentially other problems as well. There's something called chronic traumatic encephalopathy. This is a brain condition that also has been linked to repeated head trauma. It does like Parkinson's right, but players who believe that they have ct often have worse mental health issues than those who don't think they have CTE. And in other words, researchers writing in the General in the American Medical Association this week say that the mirror of fear or the dread about CT and a lifetime of mental health decline is actually contributing to the mental health problems of former football players. See, the problem with CTE is that it can't be diagnosed until and autopsy has done after obviously the person has died. So these ex players may be worrying themselves into new metal health problems.
Speaker 1: Yeah didn't San Diego Chargers Junior stay out? Yeah at CTE, he did.
Speaker 8: I mean that was confirmed through his autopsy after he died, and so you know, maybe it's a fine line, maybe the distinction between Parkinson's and CTE and all the rest. But still, these researchers are finding that that like twenty five percent of the players or current or former who believe they have CTE have had suicidal thoughts or behaviors compared to only five percent who don't think they have CTE. You know, it's again, it's it's not something that can be diagnosed until after death.
Speaker 3: So worrying about it makes you more likely to have it.
Speaker 8: No, worrying about it can give you, you know, drive you into metal health issues, can cause depression, can cause suicidal thoughts. So no, it doesn't cause CTE. But you know, it would be that the person this ex player doesn't have ct at all, But he is so concerned and about it that he's having other mental health issues.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this is also relevant now because of Miami Dolphins quarterback he just had his third concussion.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there's Tuck that he should retire.
Speaker 8: Right And if you saw that play, the nasty hit on tour this past weekend against Buffalo, that he's just lying there. And I was just watching another video an assessment from a neurologist and describing the symptoms that he was having there on the field to his hands start to flax in his arms or his legs. He seem completely dazed and confused. And yeah, there is talk now that you know what, maybe before you get into a lifetime of problems, you should let it go.
Speaker 3: Well, the problem is there's the cat.
Speaker 1: The big carrot is the millions of dollars that they have access to as NFL stars.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and I think and a lot of these players live like that. You know, they've got suddenly they've got millions of dollars. They may have come from humble beginnings, but suddenly with all this money, and it's a short career, you know, four or five years if you're lucky. Far I had had twenty years so I think it stands the reason that he has has some effects from all those concussions and hard hits.
Speaker 3: Anything they can do aside from changing to flag football.
Speaker 8: Well no, you know, the padded helmets, shortening the kickoff that we've seen here, pulling players out if they lose their helmet, you know, pulling them out for one play and assessing them for concussion. So things are being done in that regard. But look back eighty years ago or so when players were wearing leather helmets to play football, you know, and that was sort of and there was a stigma associated with, you know, trying to protect yourself from injury. Not so anymore.
Speaker 3: Well, and then I think we were talking about this.
Speaker 1: I was talking about it with my editor Carla, and she said, and rugby they don't have any protection.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they still just go at it.
Speaker 8: Right, you know, And it's I think there is still kind of that that tough guy, that maquismo that has players out there literally risking their lives.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, ABC's Jim Ryan, thank you so much for the information. Seem all right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A man who authorities say staked out former President Trump for twelve hours and wrote about his desire to kill the former president, has been indicted on charges of attempted assassination. Ryan Routh was arrested earlier this month and initially was charged with firearms offenses. The upgraded charges reflect the Justice Department's assessment that he methodically plotted to kill Trump as he played around of golf at Trump International Golf Club.
Speaker 3: Despite a new.
Speaker 1: Order from the La City Council, some RV's remain illegally parked on city streets.
Speaker 9: The city's Department of Transportation says the City Attorney's office advised its workers not to fully enforce the city council's vote to immediately start towing RVs and other vehicle parked in peak traffic lanes or near red curbs. Councilman Kevin daley On says council members want answers.
Speaker 3: So they're violating the laws.
Speaker 8: We have to move the rbs out of the red curbs for the safety themselves, for the safety of others.
Speaker 9: Leon and others found a motion requesting a report from the City Attorney's office explaining the discrepancy between the City Council's will and enforcement of the measure in downtown La Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: A woman from Corona's been arrested for allegedly stealing another woman's purse out of her car at Greenacre's Mortuary in Bloomington. Detectives say the thief used the woman's credit cards and then was caught last week driving a stolen twenty twenty Jaguar that she had bought using a stolen identity. Authorities believe she may be linked to a similar theft at Montecito Memorial Park. In mortuary in Lamlinda, Orange County says Andrew Doe is the first supervisor to be censured by the Board of Supervisors in county history.
Speaker 2: The FBI rated Supervisor Andrew Doe's home and several other properties as part of investigation into millions of missing COVID relief dollars that were allegedly spent for personal gain. Supervisor Katrina Fully says Doe needs to resign.
Speaker 10: Because he continues to be enriched by his salary and benefits that the taxpayers are paying when he is not here to do his job, and he has created this terrible scandal in our County.
Speaker 2: Dough has not attended a board meeting since the raids last month and has not commented publicly in Orange County. Corbin Carson kaf I News.
Speaker 1: A woman from Pollock Pines in San Diego County brought home more than just some good memories from a trip to Yosemite National Park. Phoebe Stokes says a few days after she got home from her weekend trip, her dogs sniffed out something under the hood of her car.
Speaker 4: Opened the hood and this big, fat, mer furry marmot jumped out and immediately ran back under my hood and are from underneath into the engine.
Speaker 1: Stokes called first responders. They took apart the car and found the marmot inside. Marmots are large ground squirrels, very cute. A wildlife agency is going to take the marmot on another ride back to its home in Yosemite. It is Halloween time at the Disneyland Resort and KFI AM six forty and Wake Up Call want to give you a chance to experience the Frightful Fund for yourself at the Disneyland Resort now through October thirty. First, you'll find fiendishly tasty treats There's like hundreds of different menu items that are all special for Halloween time and look delicious. There's Thrills for one and all, and a bootiful decor to both Disney California Adventure and Disneyland Park. I love cars Land at Halloween time. Keep it right here because wake Up Call is going to have your chance to win a four pack of one day one park tickets to the Disneyland Resort. Police have arrested a person who they say hijacked a metro bus, shot a passenger, then let police on a chase through South La into Downtown LA. The chase lasted for more than an hour, so us was stopped by a swat team shortly after two am around South Alamedia and Sixth Street. The person who was shot several times died a short time later at the hospital. Firefighters continue to gain ground on those three big wildfires burning in southern California. The fifty five thousand acre fire that threatened right Wood and Mount Baldy is ninety one percent surrounded, The fire in the San Bernardino Mountains seventy five percent surrounded, and the fire that started in Tribuco Canyon is eighty eight percent surrounded. The fires have destroyed almost two hundred and fifty homes and other buildings and injured more than two dozen people. Tropical Storm Halleene will keep NASA astronaut Nick Haig, you know, friend of the wake Up Call, and a Russian cosmonaut on the ground a little bit longer. The Crude SpaceX launch of the Crew nine mission from Cape Canaveral had to be pushed back to September twenty eighth because of the storm that's supposed to hit Florida as a Category three hurricane late tomorrow at six oh five Tandle on the news. Another sign that things are heating up, Israel has intercepted a Hesbola fired ballistic missile near Tel Aviv. Let's say good morning now too, the host of Rich on Tech right here on KFI. It's KTLA's tech reporter Rich Diemrro Good morning.
Speaker 11: Rich, Hey, good morning to you. Amy.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we're hearing that open AI is rolling out a new voice and this is this the same voice that there was a lot of controversy because it's sounded like Charlotte Scarlett Johanson.
Speaker 11: Yes, this is that feature. So this is the one it's called the Advanced Advanced Voice Mode. Now, the downside is this is only for the advanced users, so the people that pay like twenty bucks a month for chat ebt. But you know, there's a lot of them out there, and it's also the reason why as soon as I saw the presentation months ago. By the way, this has been like so delayed, I signed up immediately because I was like, I need that in my life. But I've since moved on. I canceled my subscription, so I am now still on my claud that I like. But I have used a similar thing in Google, So Google Gemini has a very similar live voice option, and I can just tell you that it's quite incredible and it's quite different than what we're used to because most of the time we're just chatting with these things by text. To actually have a conversation and an emotional conversation where it actually in flex when you're excited, and it does all these kind of things that make it more human like. And so that is now finally.
Speaker 1: Available, okay, and still only available though for paid subscribers.
Speaker 11: Yeah, you have to have paid, but it might be you know, if you're really into this stuff, it might be worth it just to try it out. But there are ten nine total voices. There are supposed to be ten, but you know, they had to scrap that one that sounded like Scarlett Johansson, which was sky the you know, the raspy voice.
Speaker 1: Okay, and is it like five four women and five men.
Speaker 11: Then well they're all nature themed. So you've got arbor, maple, soul, spruce, veil. Those are the new nature themed voices.
Speaker 3: Okay, So we don't know if they're girls are boys.
Speaker 11: Well there, it's kind of like a mix. You know, you have a bunch, you have guys, you have girls, you have you know, just all kinds of ranges. Now, I will tell you if you want to try something that's free that's an alternative to this. So yes, so google their Gemini Live, which is their version of this. They they initially had it only for their paying subscribers, but now they are rolling that out to everyone for free. So I don't think it's the entire system that you get for the paid but you know, I've been playing with it on the pixel phone and it's quite interesting. You could literally have if you're walking down the street, you could just have a conversation with this AI and it sounds like a human and it's pretty incredible, So I would definitely check it out. In Google's app. It's called Gemini Live and this is if this is if you want to pay for it. This is open AI.
Speaker 3: Okay, And I mean, is it like her?
Speaker 1: I mean, hopefully you're not going to have that same relationship, but I'm hearing that people are kind of getting to know their AI and you know, like treating them like their friends.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think I think. Look, I mean, yes, these do have memory features, which means it does remember things that you said, and it does feel very human like. I don't think you're going to be fooled into thinking this is a human. But I will tell you it is pretty uncanny just how much of a conversation back and forth you can have and you can say, you know, help me like I had it, you know, help me with something, and it just kind of like chatted me or you know, walked me through like what I might encounter. It's just it's pretty wild. I think it's worth checking out.
Speaker 1: Okay, worth checking out. Note to self That means I have to download some sort of an app. I still haven't tried any kind of AI. It scares me.
Speaker 11: I think I think you should try it.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, on the advice of Richidimiro. See we all take his advice, right.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: So there is a top tech YouTuber who has launched wallpapers.
Speaker 3: It's an app and you have to pay fifty bucks a year.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and people were not happy. So this is MKBHD. Have you heard of him?
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 11: Okay, So he's pretty much the top tech YouTuber, millions and millions of subscribers, you know, does all the reviews on the phones and things like that. People really like him because he does a good job. He's thorough and his stuff looks really good. So obviously people need to monetize. And so yesterday, in coordination with his iPhone review video, he came out. Everyone always asks like, what's the wallpaper on your phone? What's that wallpaper? So he came out with a new wallpaper app called Panels, and immediately the response was like really bad. Like people were like, this is a bad app. It's fifty dollars a year for wallpapers that you can get for free. It's twelve dollars a month. There are ads that wants to track my location and the overwhelming majority of people were just very critical of this app. Now, I got to give this guy credit. You know, obviously you have to try to monetize and do different things, and he was doing something that kind of fit his brand. But he said, look, I understand the criticism, and I will come back and try to make this better. But would you pay fifty bucks for wallpapers on your phone?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 1: No, And I wonder how much he made before people started complaining, like, because he's got like for the Smartphone Awards, he's got five point nine million views. I don't know how many followers he's got, but think about I mean, I've one hundred thousand people did it.
Speaker 3: He's a grazillionaire.
Speaker 11: Yeah, even if one percent of his followers did it, so and that's a tiny number of millions. So yeah, I mean, look, and the reality is you got to try stuff. You know, he's had sneakers in the past, He's had you know, a lot of little partnerships here and there. This is his first app, and I think, you know, everyone always asked about the wallpaper on the phones that he was testing, so it makes sense. But I think maybe it was a little bit eager in the pricing but he's also.
Speaker 3: Started with ninety nine cents like everybody else.
Speaker 11: Yeah, ninety nine cents would have been a nicer ring to it, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Google has a new streaming box. Is that like a Roku or like a firestick?
Speaker 11: Yes, exactly, It's like a Roku. So we talked about this a while back when they when they announced it. Now it's available for purchase. It's one hundred dollars. I was playing with it yesterday and what struck me Amy is you actually have one hundred and fifty free channels on this thing, so it literally feels like a regular TV system, Like I was just flipping through channels and they even made it so you can flip through the channels. And so literally we have come thirty years away from over the air broadcast TV back to setting this thing up yesterday and I turn it on and it's like, oh, flip through some channels, and I'm like, wait, what I mean? It's just wild because people are you know, they want stuff that just comes on without a lot of feeling. You know, you don't have to like search for stuff.
Speaker 3: I agree, And so.
Speaker 11: I was watching Supermarket Sweep yesterday from the I don't know, eighties or nineties, whatever it was, and you know a show that's like thirty years old and on this brand new box.
Speaker 1: Okay, so then the question you said, there's one hundred and fifty free channels, are are there any local channels?
Speaker 11: There were local channels.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 11: KTLA was not on there, but there were some other locals that will remain unnamed, of course, but they were there. Yes, there's news, there's sports, there's like you can just watch Johnny Carson all day. I mean, you know, yeah, it's kind of like this idea we're seeing with like the free streaming services. They're ad supported, so it was like an old show like Supermarket Sweep, but then there would be a brand new ad in the middle of the show, so you know, it's free. Everyone is happy people get to watch stuff for free without a lot of subscription services. But I just thought that was really interesting.
Speaker 1: All right, KTLA's Rich Demiro. You can hear more great tech advice and tech tips when you listen to Rich on Tech right here on KFI Saturdays from eleven to two. You can also follow Rich on Instagram at rich on Tech. His website with everything we're talking about is rich on Tech dot TV.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Rich.
Speaker 11: All right, Amy, have a great day, you too.
Speaker 1: Opponents of a crime related ballot measure have gathered in downtown LA tell voters to reject the measure.
Speaker 13: Prop thirty six would repeal parts of Prop. Forty seven and Levy harsher punishments for some theft than drug crimes.
Speaker 6: Instead of fixing homelessness, the overdose crisis, or crime, the reality is Prop thirty six will make all of these issues much worse.
Speaker 13: Your Institute of Justices Michelle Paris says Prop thirty six will pull funding from drug treatment and homeless prevention programs. The group gathered yesterday ahead of an LA County Board of Supervisors meeting where Prop thirty six was formally opposed in downtown light Blake Trolley k if I Knews.
Speaker 1: Factory workers say Boeing's latest contract offer isn't good enough, but the company is giving the union more time to consider the deal. It includes pay raiss of thirty percent over four years in bigger bonuses. Some union members, like John Rifle and Rent and Washington, say they don't like that Boeing is bypassing the union in publicizing the offer.
Speaker 4: When they just throw out what might look good to the public, you know, just to try to make us look like we're greedy when we're not.
Speaker 1: We're not greedy, he says. The workers just want to be compensated fairly. Boeing had demanded a vote on the new proposal by Friday night, but that has been rescinded. A black combat medic who treated two hundred troops during the invasion of Normandy during World War Two, has been awarded the Distinguished Service Cross, the army's second highest award. The family of Waverley Woodson, Junior, gathered yesterday in Washington, d c. To see Woodson's ninety five year old widow received the Cross posthumously for his heroism. Woodson died in two thousand and five. Governor Newsom signed several bills to strengthen gun laws in the state. He says the state won't wait until the next school shooting or mass shooting to act. One creates stricter penalties for gun owners if a child gets access to a gun. Another makes it illegal for anyone convicted of animal cruelty to have a weapon, and another makes it easier to issue a red flag order to seize weapons. The flames aren't even out in the lawsuit, are already starting to roll in from people affected by the wildfire in Orange and Riverside County. The fires believed to have been unintentionally sparked by an Orange County public works crew that was moving boulders in Tribuco Canyon during the heat wave. Consumer confidence is dipped to its lowest level in three years for September. The Conference Boards Consumer Confidence Index says consumers thirty five to fifty four, so the largest confidence drop. The survey noted concerns about prices and inflation that are continuing to affect consumers views of the economy at six oh five is handled on the news, a Haitian group wants criminal charges filed against former President Trump and his running mate jd Vance.
Speaker 3: Bill's going to tell you all about that.
Speaker 12: Amy's on it, AMI's on it.
Speaker 3: Amy's on Itami's on it. What am I on?
Speaker 1: I'm on streaming shows, movies, documenting movies, documentary series. Sometimes I'm on books, sometimes I'm in movies at the theater. This week I am on the stream And I told you about this earlier this week that I just saw an ad that from was coming back, and I was like, what I because it hasn't it hasn't had a news episode for a while. It's on Prime Video and it's actually on MGM Plus, which you get to through Prime Video. There's three seasons of the show called From The Season three is still being released in episode at a time. It just debuted on the twenty second and it'll be going every week through November. So I haven't started watching that one yet. But the first season was February of twenty twenty two. Season two was April of twenty three, and it's been a while, so I wanted to go watch it again. And then when I went to go watch it, I found out that season one is being removed from the platform in a week, so time is running out. If you haven't watched From let Me tell You, let me tell you where I'm coming from. This is a creepy, creepy show. So it stars Harold Parano. You might remember him from Lost. There's also Ian Bailey who was Pinocchio in Once Upon a Time and remember that ABC series about Disney characters, and then also David Alpai or alpay You probably would recognize him. He is from a lot of Hallmark movies, but I know he's done a bunch of other stuff, but I recognize him from Hallmark movies. Other than that, it's a bunch of relative unknown, which I always find refreshing because you're not thinking about other shows that they've been in or anything like that.
Speaker 3: You can just kind of focus on the characters.
Speaker 1: So it centers around this creepy little town that's completely dilapidated, and this family gets into a in their motor home and ends up in this town. They try to get away from it, they can't. They keep circling back to the town, and when they get there, the townspeople are on edge. They're nervous, they're scared, and they have reason to be because every night the town becomes a dangerous and murderous place. So if you're outside at night, you're grizzly. Your murder is very grizzly, and it's very graphic, and it's gross and nobody knows why, and they can't figure out why.
Speaker 3: But there are people who are outside.
Speaker 1: They look harmless, they look very nice, but then they kind of turn into monsters. If again, if they catch you outside, and then you're eaten and torn apart, and their homes are protected by talismans, so as long as they stay inside, they're relatively safe.
Speaker 3: And then the big question is why.
Speaker 1: And it's like I was thinking about, like a horror movie, and it really is a horror movie, but it's drug out through a whole.
Speaker 3: So you get to watch a new horror movie every week.
Speaker 1: And I actually said I'm just going to watch season one, but then by last night at about six o'clock, I was full into season two because the end of season one was like, oh my god, I have to see what happens. So this is a really, really, like I said, creepy, but very interesting story. The characters are really hard to figure out, but you go on hoping you're going to learn more about them and what makes them why they are as the story continues. It is gory, it's it's intriguing, and it's a great binge watch. It's called from It's on Prime Video again. Seasons one and two are on Prime Video. Season one goes away in a week. Season three just debuted and will be released every week. So I think I need to wait a little bit because I got to do my free trial on MGM Plus and then cancel it because I pay for enough streaming services. But that's what I'm on this week, and I think you might just like it. And I'm not usually a horror movie fan, but I like this one. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A person has been fatally shot aboard a Metro bus that was hijacked in South LA. Police got the call around twelve forty five this morning. Deputy Chief Donald Graham Say's officers found the bus stopped near one hundred and seventh Street and Figueroa.
Speaker 5: At that point, the bus had was stopped. An officer from Southeast Area set up on the bus and attempted to make contact with them using their PA system, but he.
Speaker 1: Says, the bus started to drive away and that's when the chase began. It lasted about an hour before the bus was finally stopped with a spike strip near sixth Street and Alameda. SWAT officers were able to rescue the driver and a passenger and arrested the hijacker. Another passenger, who had been shot several times, died at the hospital. Landlords in LA who harassed their tenants could soon have to pay higher penalties.
Speaker 9: The city council approved a request to have the city's Tenant anti hr harassment Ordnance beefed up. Councilman Unites Hernandez says requiring landlords to cover a minimum of two thousand dollars in tenants fees related to any dispute should stop bad behavior.
Speaker 6: These levels of damages and penalties are at levels that we will see deterrence in landlord harassment.
Speaker 9: The City Attorney's office would draft a revised ordinance for later adoption by the City Council. It would also include mental and emotional distress suffered by tenants as defined forms of harassment. Michael Monks KFI.
Speaker 1: News Ran Roults has been charged with the attempted assassination of former President Trump. He was arrested this month near Trump International Golf Club, where Trump was playing a round of golf. Route was initially a routh rather was initially facing two weapons charges. Prosecutors say he staked out the former president and intended to kill him. He's being held without bail. The National Weather Service says there's an elevated fire risk in northern California. Forecasters say it's being caused by high temperatures, gusty winds, and low humidity. Cal Oees Fire Chief Brian Marshall says the fuel conditions also make it more likely that fires could spread.
Speaker 14: The fuels have been drying out, Summer's been in full forest for several months. Temperatures have been hot, so the trees, the brush, the grass is already to burn.
Speaker 1: The National Weather Services the areas most at risk are along I five in Sacramento and in the northern Sierra Nevada Foothills. The only county Board of Supervisors has designated the Old Glory Oak Tree Santa Clarita and Historic Landmark. The seventy foot tall tree is in Pico Canyon Park. It's thought to be more than four hundred years old and made the news twenty years ago when activists saved it from being cut down to make way for development in Stevenson Ranch. Old Glory was eventually relocated, and in two thousand and seven was recognized by the Guinness Book of World Records as the largest transplanted tree in the world. I love that, Hey, it's Clayton Kershaw. Bobblehead night at Dodger Stadium. Now the Dodgers dropped one last night to San Diego four to two, so they still need two wins to clinch the National League West and the Dodgers take on the Padres tonight at Dodgers Stadium. First pitch goes out at seven. You can listen to every play of every game on AM five to seventy LA Sports and stream all the games NHD on the iHeartRadio app. Keyword is AM five to seventy LA Sports. The best casino in the Southland is Marongo Casino Resort and SPA Good Times. The La County Board of Supervisors is voted to officially support Proposition thirty three if passed in November. Prop thirty three would give cities and counties more power to put rent control measures in place. The vote was three to one, with Supervisor Catherine Barger voting against it. She said she believes more rent control policies will ultimately harm housing markets and communities. Police are asking people to call them if they have any information about a former West La High School guidance councilor. Julie Tychan is accused of sexually assaulting a sixteen year old boy she worked at Ula High School. She was arrested last month and police say she may have assaulted other students. An eight foot tall statue of the Man in Black has been installed in the US Capitol. The statue of Johnny Cash now stands in the National Statuetory Hall collection, along with statues from all fifty states. If you haven't been to that, it's very very cool. I got to see it when I went to DC. The statue depicts the man in black with a guitar slung across his back and a bible in his hand. We're just minutes away from a handle. On the news this morning, Ozempk's CEO has been grilled about why Ozempk costs so much here in the US when it's so cheap in the UK. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Tom Rivers.
Speaker 4: Tom.
Speaker 1: Ukrainian President Zelensky had a rather ominous warning for the UN Security Council during a meeting in New York yesterday.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm pretty desperate. He came forward, without giving any evidence. He said that Moscow has been planning now to hit three nuclear power stations and put them out of business. And of course, you know in his mind Moscow would do that, Why well, they would. In the site, everybody on the continent to go to war with Moscow and there'd be a huge radioactive cloud over Russia. So yeah, it seems pretty far fetched, unhinged maybe, but that's kind of the line of Zelensky these days.
Speaker 1: Okay, and so, and he's basically saying that in addition to that, it's very dangerous because they could lose power headed and into the winter, and that's going to put even more hardship on people.
Speaker 4: Well yeah, I mean, you know, Russi's already been done that with conventional weapons, so you know, we've been down that road before winter is approaching, and they're going to be hitting infrastructure yet again. And of course that affects, you know, the military, it affects the civilians, and it affects also the movement of some of the Western weapons systems coming into Ukraine as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, and you had mentioned that he said these he made these claims that Russia wanted to target the nuclear power plans, and he said he had proof, but he didn't share it.
Speaker 4: No exactly. So I mean it shows you where you know, the if you will, The bigger picture is that Ukraine is not doing very well right now on the front line, and you know. He says he's coming to Washington to discuss with the President. His quote unquote victory plan said to be political, military, economic as well. US Ambassador at the UN Linda Thomas Greenfield looked at us says, well, maybe it can work, but many privately in the military sphere saying no, it's not going to work. So yeah, we're kind of looking more toward the endgame of what's happening in Ukraine. Everyone is kind of on the democratic side holding their breath till November fifth and what happens thereafter.
Speaker 1: Well to wait and see do Zelensky and people in Moscow talk at all.
Speaker 3: Are there any talks going on?
Speaker 4: No? In fact, said the last if we will nail in the coffin was the incursion into Kursk. And on the heels of that, the line from the Kremlin basically is we can solve this around a table somewhere like Geneva. But if you're going to do this incursion, we can also go with plan B, and that means we continue with our military assault until there is no Ukrainian soldiers left.
Speaker 1: And is there was there any indication or is there any indication that the US or the world might be thinking about pulling back some of its support for Ukraine and just sort of letting things play out.
Speaker 4: I think, I think, you know, there may be some small steps, as I say, for the next month, kind of keeping things ticking over. But again, there's going to be a big fork in the road after election Paris wins, You're going to see more of the same. You may see the US signing off on allowing longer range missiles to hit targets deep into Russia. If you could President Trump in there, you may see redoubled efforts to actually solve this thing through diplomacy. So, yes, it is a stark contradiction with regard to the two And as far as Biden right now, he is seen internationally as a lame duck.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, you could tell that watching his speech yesterday. I think half the people weren't even paying attention. It was kind of It's kind of sad. But anyway, ABC's Tom Rivers, thank you so much, appreciate the information.
Speaker 3: As always, pay care.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Police in Fontana have fatally shot a man they say went after them with a metal pole. Police were called to a shopping center yesterday about a man swinging a pole around, damaging property and assaulting a person, Please say. The man then attacked an officer with the pipe, which led to the shooting. Video shows an officer punching the man while he's on the ground. An officer heard in the attack was tree at the hospital for minor injuries. As Bola has fired a missile at Tel Aviv in its deepest strike yet into Israel. The Israeli military says it intercepted the missile early this morning and struck the launch site. The missile was one of dozens of projectiles into Israel as the country carries out strikes in Lebanon.
Speaker 7: Israel, firing two thousand missiles and bombs on what it says A has Bella targets casualties amounting, according to Liberty's officials, over five hundred the debt, including children.
Speaker 1: ABC's Ian panel says HESBLA confirmed yesterday that one of its top commanders was killed this week. The Department of Justice has filed an anti trust lawsuit against Visa, accusing the credit card giant of fostering a monopoly. Attorney General Merrick Garland says VISA has created an environment where it penalizes merchants and banks who go with other card issuers.
Speaker 12: Visa collects more than seven billion dollars each year in network fees on US debit transactions, with a significant part of that resulting from Visa's illegal conduct.
Speaker 1: Visas as a lawsuit filed yesterday, is meritless.
Speaker 3: Okay, we got just two days.
Speaker 1: Until I go over the edge to raise money for the Union Rescue Mission. I'm going to be repelling down the side of a building twenty five stories off the Universal Hilton to raise money to help fight this battle against the homeless. You know that it's bad and it just seems to keep getting worse, but Union Rescue Mission is actually doing something to help. We know that there's seventy five thousand homeless in LA. Fifty two thousand have nowhere to live. They're living in cars, they're intents, they're out in the open. And while you can't help everyone, you can help one. So if you can make a small donation, or you can make a large donation, I would certainly appreciate it. It's all to raise money because, as I mentioned, I'm going over the edge of the Universal Hilton twenty five stories down. I'm gonna do it about three o'clock on Friday afternoon. If you want to come out and see the terror, that would be great, But anyway, it is for a good cause. Union Rescue Mission has a one hundred score with what is it called Neil Charity, I can't even remember, but they have a great score with how well they manage their funds and eighty six cents out of every dollar goes directly to help people who actually want the help and want to change their lives and get back into housing and you know, get back on the straight and narrow and start living a happy, healthy, productive life again. It's I would love your donation, and Neil Servader's going to do it too. I think he's going off the edge at about eleven am. And you can make a donation at just help one dot org and then there's an icon for Team iHeart. Just help one dot org. Would appreciate anything that you can do for us. This is KFI and kost HD two angels, Orange County, OH.
Speaker 3: I think it's called Charity Navigator. That's what it is.
Speaker 1: We lead Local live from the KFI twenty four Hour Newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up Call, and if you missed any of wake Up Call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.